S1: Hey, I'm Osman Farooqui and this is the drop a culture show from the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, where we dive into the latest in the world of pop culture and entertainment. I'm here with Mel Kembery and Thomas Mitchell. What's up team? Good morning.
S2: Everybody. I am feeling very good today. I think Osman, you're looking particularly fine. I must say I don't want to do too much of a loving. But you're looking very like he's looking well rested. Trim. This is a good angle for you.
S3: What an original way for us to start the podcast again. By you guys complimenting each other on your physicality.
S1: Well, I, I'm not feeling particularly well rested, so I'm glad I'm looking good. Thomas. Thank you so much. Mel. You look lovely. Delightful as always. Sparkling.
S3: Thank you. You both look lovely.
S2: We've covered that up. Osman. How? I was curious to know. How is it going with the parents in town? I know they're visiting.
S1: My parents did visit. It was my birthday last week. End of last week. I got some very nice birthday messages from a bunch of people. I got some very mean ones from you guys. People who listened to the podcast last week will recall that Thomas made a jibe at me being a marvel guy. He sent me a very extended birthday message comparing me to Tony Stark and Spider-Man, which I did not appreciate at all. Um, yeah. My parents are in town for a couple of days. It was nice to see them. Did you get a cake? I did not get a cake. I got a very nice sweater from my mum for my birthday, which I feel like is a very mum gift to get, but also it was her birthday. Her birthday is just a few days after mine. So, um. Yeah, that was nice to celebrate with them. They're on holiday in Tasmania right now. She told me she, uh, listened to. Well, she listened to the pod all the time. And she's real deep in Presumed Innocent right now. She's loving it. She remembers the movie from the 90s, but is loving the TV show.
S2: Yeah, I feel like people are really getting into Presumed Innocent and like, I'm very much here for it, so I'm just dying for the finale at this point.
S3: Well, we'll have to get Mama Farooqi on the yeah, on the line for it.
S1: Um, there's quite a bit we're going to talk about on the show today, but there's some exciting trailer related news to, I think, maybe kick things off with. We talked about the Gladiator two pictures that were revealed last week. We got the trailer on Wednesday morning.
S4: Whose head could I give you that would satisfy this fury?
S5: The entire Roman army's too much. The general will do little things.
S4: And my throne must fall to my tool kit. I need only give it a push.
S6: Will you make it out alive?
UU: All right, all right. Tears on the mausoleum floor. Blood stains the Coliseum doors.
S1: They really went all out for this trailer. That was that was a lot of Denzel. There was a lot of Paul Mescal. There was the Coliseum being flooded with water. There was no church in the wild.
S3: Sorry, you've forgotten the gladiator riding the rhino. That was a real highlight for me. That was a.
S1: Flashback to Russell in the first Gladiator, and maybe some suggestions that Paul's character is his long lost son. Maybe. Did you guys think that?
S2: I was actually surprised at how much like Russell or just like Russell Energy was in the trailer, like they're really leaning on, I guess, the legacy of the first Gladiator film, which we kind of talked about being a bit of an issue. Um, I just thought, like, look, to be honest, the trailer isn't amazing, but it appealed to my specific set of tastes. Like I got hyped for the film after watching it. I did think it was very funny. My absolute favorite take from seeing this so far is a tweet that said Respect to Denzel Washington for doing no accent work and acting and sounding like a corrupt cop from Yonkers.
S7: Because.
S2: He just they even do the Denzel laugh in the trailer. Like it's just it's crazy.
S3: Oh, I thought I struggled to get through this. I can't imagine how I'm going to find the whole thing. I mean, it looked incredible.
S1: You didn't like the trailer.
S3: It was just it was just so much. And I kept thinking of, you know, there's that like Coco Chanel quote that's like, always take one thing off before you leave the house. I feel like Ridley Scott needs to learn that with special effects. It was I mean, it looked incredible, but all the water shots, boats, there were a lot of arrows there, a lot of swords in the air. I just it feels like it's going to be a lot of a lot of fighting. And I do.
S2: Think like, you know, choosing no church in the wild, it's such a big choice. And already people are a bit like, oh, is this like cheapening the legacy of Gladiator? I thought the song worked, and I mean, I love that song.
S1: I was talking to one of our colleagues, Angus, yesterday, funnily enough, about the use of like, big Kanye produced tracks in trailers, and there's a few really great examples, like power I think was used in The Social Network. Uh, Black Skinhead was used in something around that same time as well. There's something about like that maximalist sound that gets you really excited. Also, just the repetition of the line about like the Colosseum again and again while we're looking at shots of the Colosseum. It's a little bit obvious, but but still pretty fun.
S2: It is funny, though, because I saw like this, you know, have you seen that Kanye has like texted someone saying he's retiring from music? Like, do you reckon he saw the trailer and was like, fuck, this is it for me?
S7: I'm out.
S1: Um, it was Wolf of Wall Street was Black Skinhead, I think.
S3: I was surprised to see the Russell throwback in the trailer. And then I was wondering, are they going to do the are you not entertained line?
UU: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained?
S1: So I was generally excited about this trailer and like I really in this era. Yeah, it's hit and miss. Uh, The Last Jewel. Really, really good. But we talked about this Napoleon. Not as good. I don't have super high hopes for this, but I thought the trailer looked fun. But yeah, two bits that worried me. One. what you just said. Mel Russell's not in this film, and he's very upset about not being in this film, so using him and his story so heavily feels like a bit unfair to to rusty. The other thing I'm doubling down on the Paul Mescal, uh, situation here. I'm not saying that he's not a good actor, but, you know, we talk about women actresses who have, like, you know, that kind of meme of a period film with a woman actress. And the line is like, I can't believe her because she's like, seen Instagram to talk about this with like Elle, Elle Fanning and stuff. They're like, this just doesn't make sense. She's got like a face and a look for a modern environment. I feel like Paul Mescal has that too. Like, this is a guy who has just left Laneway Festival and walked into the set of Gladiator two. It doesn't really work for me.
S2: Yes, I completely agree. Like he just we kind of spoke about this on text, like Russell at least looked like rough. And, you know, I could believe that he was, you know, a slave that came good. Whereas Paul Mescal just doesn't have like, he seriously, he basically made us be wearing the fucking short shorts. Like, it just doesn't.
S1: Fully, fully. He somehow managed to parlay the short, short thing into a movie where he can show off his legs and his manicured beard, which doesn't feel era appropriate, I'm sorry to say. Yeah, I.
S3: Feel like this is one of those cases where, like, the kind of paratext around him is going to influence how we view the film. And maybe it wasn't the wisest casting choice, but then who would have you like? Who would you prefer to see as a gladiator apart from each other?
S2: I mean, Osman would be a great casting. Probably.
S7: Probably more appropriate.
S2: To be honest. I know someone that's like a bit like ugly. Beautiful. Like Jesse Plemons would be good. Like, stick that motherfucker in Gladiator. Yes.
S3: Okay, I like yeah, I can see that.
S1: That's a great, great call. The other trailer that dropped this week that I got excited about. I don't think I've talked to you guys about it yet. F1 starring Brad Pitt, Red.
S8: Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, Aston, now McLaren all have a speed on the straights. Our shot is battling in the turns. We need to build our car for combat.
S9: How am I supposed to make that safe?
S8: Who said anything about safe?
S1: Directed by Joseph Kosinski, who did Top Gun Maverick, which was an awesome, awesome, awesome film. The trailer didn't like reveal a lot. There was like, a lot of Queen and just cars racing around. Apparently they filmed a lot of this film at actual Grand Prix like around the World. I'm not a huge F1 head, but I've been to the Grand Prix, I enjoy it. I really like Brad Pitt, I like sports films. This looks pretty fun. How you guys finding the vibes on this one?
S3: I was shocked about how little this trailer revealed about the film. I think Brad has like one line in it and then the rest of it is just car shots. I kept waiting for like, the plot to be shown. Um, I'm excited about this. I like F1 films, I like the F1, love the grid walk he was on. Actually, I saw them chasing Brad Pitt on the grid walk just over the weekend. I'm um. I'm excited about this film. I think it will be good.
S2: Yeah, I think so too. I from what I could piece together, like from the trailer, it seems like. So Javier Bardem obviously plays like a team principal, which I think.
S3: Is.
S2: Really good, really good casting. Like he looks like that, but and then what? So it seems like Brad is maybe the older driver, and there's that young dude that we see in the teaser trailer who's like, looks like, you know, kind of the Lewis Hamilton superstar, I'm guessing.
S1: And the films produced or ep'd by Lewis Hamilton. So I think he's putting a bit of himself in there. Yeah.
S2: Right. So I mean, like, I don't know, I think Brad Pitt is such a funny one right now. He's at a stage of his career where he's just kind of like doing whatever he probably wants to spend time doing, and this very much seems like that. But yeah, I mean, I am a big Brad guy, too, in news that will shock nobody. So I will definitely go and see this. Yeah, a lot of.
S1: People saying he's too old to play an F1 driver and I like I mean firstly it's a movie like relax everyone, take a deep breath. Tom Cruise is too old to be a Top Gun pilot. That's also the case. But I think his character is supposed to be like a retired driver who comes out of retirement to help train a new. But that's a cool story. That's like a framework that I'm into, like a creed, sort of, you know, thing going on.
S2: Imagine the insurance overheads on getting Brad Pitt to be allowed to drive an F1 car. But I mean, if Nicole Kidman has taught us anything, we'll talk about her shortly. You're never too old to play something that doesn't.
S3: You never too old to make your dreams come true.
S7: Correct.
S1: Well, I mean, let's get to that one today. Today on the show, we're going to talk about something I've wanted to discuss for a while, and that is kind of what the hell is going on with Australian music right now. The Aria charts show that Australian artists are regularly struggling to break into the top 50. The biggest Australian acts that are breaking in are acts from like 40, 50 years ago, like AC, DC and crowded House. Generally speaking, it's very, very hard for local, younger, up and coming, even successful acts to get recognition, to get airplay, to get featured on streaming platforms, to sell tickets to shows. We're going to take a look at what's going on and what could be done to shift things a little bit. We're also going to take a look at the second half of the Bear season three, whether our views on this season have shifted as we make our way through the show. But first up, you alluded to this Thomas Nicole Kidman, something we got to talk about earlier this year. Amazon gave us the idea of you, the age gap romantic comedy starring Anne Hathaway and Nicholas Galitzine. I thought it was fine. A lot of people didn't like it. But yeah, just, you know, it's a it's a light, cheap, fun comedy from from Amazon. And a couple of weeks ago, Netflix gave us their version of what is literally the same story. Essentially, it's a family Affair stars Nicole Kidman and Zac Efron. It's another age gap romantic comedy, where Nicole Kidman plays an older woman who has a meet cute with a famous younger man. They start dating. Drama ensues. The film went to number one pretty much straight away on Netflix. This is a very cursed film. I have to say. I felt quite grim about the state of the world and of cinema watching this movie. Let's talk about it. Well, what were your guys top line reactions to A family affair?
S3: I thought a family affair made the idea of you look like a nuanced and poignant movie. Yes.
S1: Thank you, thank you.
S3: Which I didn't think at the time. But now, in comparison, the idea of you wasn't so bad. I agree with you. Also, I think I'm very confused because there's lots of think pieces going around that are like, these are really great for, you know, showing that older women have lives and can have sexual desire and rediscover themselves. Like, I think we've all been seduced by this because I don't actually know if that's what's really going on here. I mean, the women in this in both of the shows, a they're a certain type of woman. Like they essentially function as like authenticators for the man, like they're the ones who can show who they really are to themselves, but then they're also the same type of woman that's allowed to experience this kind of love affair. They're like both artists or in the art space. Anne Hathaway was a curator, and, um, Nicole Kidman is a Pulitzer Prize winning writer. Um, so I guess that's suggesting that they're in open minded communities, and then they're both kind of recovering from either a husband that's passed away or a traumatic relationship. So they're, you know, it's not like this is what they do all the time. This is an exceptional moment. And then they're both have to have daughters who can be like, yeah, but they're still maternal, right? Like they're still anchored in their in their motherhood. Um, I don't know. Yeah. I just think these things are really problematic. And the whole basis of them is that we're meant to experience shock at this relationship, which in itself is kind of problematic. Anyway. I think they've dressed it up all glossy, and they're telling us that this is empowering and good stuff, but I just don't think it is.
S2: I mean, that's a super smart take. I was basically like, Is Kathy Bates in Money Trouble?
S7: Like, is she a gambler?
S2: I could see her, like slapping the slot machine. What is she doing in this movie? And even every scene she has, I think she's like, what am I doing in this movie? Uh, it was a very strange use of, like. I don't know if either of you guys have seen the paper boy.
S1: Oh, yeah. Great. That was another romantic drama between Nicole.
S2: And so they had, like, a vibe in that. That was a very different tone, that film. And, like, it's just so strange to drop in, you know, like Kathy Bates, Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron, each in their own right, pretty good at what they do and then just completely leave them floundering. This movie, it felt like it almost was close to me. It was like an Irish wish type film the way it was. It was like so aggressively lit. Everything felt fake. It, it may as well have been like shot completely on like studio lots. It was just so, so weird. The writing was appalling and like, what's so strange is that later this year, Nicole is going to do her first A24 film, Baby Girl, which is like a very similar setup. She plays like a high powered CEO who has an affair with a young intern. It's going to be like Harris Dickinson from The Iron Claw. And like, you know, that movie will be like, I mean, presumably ten times better. It's just. Yeah, I mean, it is kind of I think in this day and age, we have to see these films as a gift because it's rare that you get such a bad, you know, token. It's rare you get such a bad product that we've spoken so much about the whole mid era. This was truly a bad gift from Netflix.
S3: My theory on the Nicole Kidman is that I think she has played a string of kind of quote unquote, prestige TV characters where she's often, ah, uh, plays a, a, a woman who's going through it, who's complicated and is in complicated relationships. I'm thinking of expats, big little lies. Um, there was that crime, one she was in as well. Um, and now maybe she's trying to do a rebrand to show that Nicole Kidman can do these softer, funnier roles.
S1: In terms of the overall structural issues with this film and these types of films. Mel, I couldn't agree with you more. I think they're trying to, like, convince us that we should feel good and like, be stoked that they're showing us older women being sexually active when these are kind of some of the most weirdly morally repressed films around. I mean, at least the idea of you had like multiple attempts to show Anne Hathaway, like trying to be sexy. This film has one sort of sex scene that is interrupted by the daughter, and the rest of it is just her feeling guilty about the whole thing. I don't think the politics of these movies is something to get particularly excited about, but then the actual specific mechanics of this, like the first scene where we meet Nicole Kidman and Kathy Bates, it's written like the script was done by I. The performances are ridiculous. The setup is ridiculous. In that shot, there are something like two Oscars, four Emmys, eight Golden Globes and a BAFTA. And I'm just like, what have we done to deserve this? Right now? This. And it's obviously a money play from everyone involved and they're allowed to get that bag. But at what point do we stand up and say actors and streamers? Making stuff like this devalues the craft of cinema to such an extent that audience expectations over time erode, and that they don't understand what a good film is anymore. We end up with just 100 of these things a year. Like this is why I say it's cursed. I don't think it's just a bad movie. I think in 20 years time, when people write about how Hollywood and the world devolved into the grim state that it will inevitably devolve into, they'll be like a family affair was was a key moment in human history.
S2: Let's also not forget all of Zach's Kids Teen Choice Awards that he brings to the table.
S1: Well, okay. And so speaking of Zach, the other thing about this movie and I want to be careful how I talk about this one.
S2: I can talk about this fucked up face.
S7: Is.
S1: Zac Efron. Looks he looks unusual. And, you know, he he did have an accident, and he had, like, reconstructive jaw surgery. And his body and his face. It looks unusual, right. And I would say he looks significantly older than his 36 years. And I would say Nicole Kidman looks quite remarkable for her 50 years. So this is an age gap comedy where we're supposed to be like, Nicole Kidman is an older woman and Zac Efron is the younger like hot guy. She looks younger than him. And a lot of key points in this movie that just deflates the entire concept of the film. Surely I'm not the only one who felt kind of weird about that.
S2: I think on a base level it just was distracting. Like, I know he, you know, he had an accident and then he had jaw surgery or whatever, but like, I mean, I suspect in only my opinion that he like, added a couple of things to the to the jaw surgery. Just got a tune up and I just found it really distracting. Like he doesn't, you know, we had like that real run of like, heaps of Zac Efron movies. And he was great, like really funny all the time, like bad neighbors, all that stuff. And then like, now he's just a bit it's like he just looks very different. And in a movie where he's playing like the hot, attractive Hollywood star and like, his aesthetic is a big part of the character, I don't know, it then becomes a part of what makes the movie not work.
S3: We should pull the Google data on like the spike of the search. How old is Zac Efron? Because that is exactly what I did when I turned this on, because I was very confused.
S1: Yeah, it's also sad because he was in a really good and again, criminally underwatched film from the last year, The Iron Claw, an A24 movie, Sean Durkin's film about the real life wrestling family, the Von Von Erichs. And he was really good in that, like, still looked unusual, but it made sense for him to be so built playing like a wrestler. So all of these people can do great stuff. And you mentioned the Cole film. She will do great stuff. And yeah, look, as usual, I could just be being overdramatic and no one will ever think about this film again. But it does leave you feeling like a little bit weird inside that this exists and probably cost millions and millions of dollars at a time when so much of the entertainment industry is struggling to make ends meet, it just doesn't feel like the budgets are working in the direction they should be.
S2: It's very funny that she's now she's basically. Nicole is working with all of the Iron Claw family members except for Jeremy Allen White.
S1: Yeah, yeah.
S2: There's your Segway.
S1: Speaking of Jeremy Allen White, uh, let's talk about the second half of the Bear season three. Quick recap. We didn't have a great time with the first five episodes of this show. We thought they were largely treading water. There wasn't a lot of plot or character development. There was heaps of filler, not a lot of ideas. Annoyed by some of the stylistic and experimental choices we have not yet talked about episode six of ten, which we're going to talk about now. And those spoilers for all of season three of The Bear. I want to get into it with you guys. But one of the things that occurred to me about the second half of the show, which generally speaking, I found significantly better than the first half, this show has done that rare thing where it's kind of accidentally struck gold with a format and a setting and characters that are actually, at their best, quite charming, quite fun, quite relatable, quite interesting, but it kind of almost doesn't know what to do with it. And you think about shows like The Office, which is a sitcom. It's very different to the show in a lot of ways. But the thing that worked about The Office is you just kind of care about these characters and whether they are having fun, whether they are having some emotional moments. You don't care about the paper company of it all, you don't care about the mechanics of Dunder Mifflin. You're just like, I want to see this character explore their feelings with whatever character. And that's really interesting. And I think this show, particularly in the second half, is at its best when there's just great characters who've been built up to be really rich and interesting, talking about life and family and marriage and these ideas. But every time we kind of have fun in those spaces, the show pulls us back to the kitchen and Carmy and the world of fine dining that I think just like, deflates all the excitement and the fun and the energy of the show. And I think even though I thought the second half was better, it just didn't get that mix right. And ultimately, I felt like this was one of the most disappointing series of TV that I've seen this year, because the expectations were high and it just didn't really deliver. So sorry to say I felt pretty sad about it. I want to know what you guys think.
S3: I think that's really well put. I think we were all love bombed by this show. It started out as something particularly you, Thomas Mitchell. It started out as something really great and then it just couldn't deliver on keep delivering that. And we were all left being like, but you were something different, right? We like we were right to fall in love with you in the first place. But yeah, I think the second half did get better. But to me the tone of it was so inconsistent and the pacing of the episodes so varied. Not in a good way. It was almost like each episode was a vignette. But then they didn't all stand together in some episodes stood up better than others. It started to get a bit more momentum going in this second half. There were a few more plot things that developed and there were great cameos, but I don't think it was enough to save it. And even the standout episodes to me were still, they were great, but they were still kind of very predictable bear territory.
S2: Yeah, I know, again, like I was, I was so prepared to like the back half and I did like it better. But it is funny, you know, that we obviously did part one last week and, you know, always curious to get a vibe on what everyone's feeling and like, you know, I shared the podcast on my Instagram and like, literally I kind of had maybe like 20 replies and not one person was like, ah, I'm really loving this season. Like everyone is feeling the same. I think, like there's just a disappointment because we are in a funny time as well when there's not heaps of buzzy TV shows around, like we're all kind of hanging our hat on this and then like The White Lotus next year, the White Lotus next year is bad. I'm going to be like just completely depressed.
S7: But like.
S2: Everyone was psyched for this. And especially I think the trajectory of the show in between seasons has just like completely, you know, all the stars are really famous now. And so everyone was just like, so ready. And then, you know, it was probably setting itself up for disappointment, uh, Uh, and even I think going into the second half, having read so much about like, oh, you know, the napkins episode by Ayo is going to be great. Ice chips is a really great two hander. I still don't know if it really like lifted the season for me. Everything that the bear did so well in seasons one and two, all of the tricks have just been completely like mismanaged or overused. And I just think, yeah, like the show has lost its way. It's forgotten. Like what makes it joyful. And I never really thought I'd say this, but, like, I feel like Osmond a few times you've been like, would this be better as a 20 episode like office style comedy? And I'm actually kind of agreeing with you now. Maybe, maybe that's where the show could really shine, but instead it's become fixated on like being too many things, like the trauma drama and a workplace drama and a commentary on, you know, the state of fine dining and, you know, restaurants in general. It's just so convoluted and hamstrung by trying to do too many things. Yeah, I think.
S3: They start again and do a Sydney spin off like that. Would that's what I think we all need.
S1: It's so funny for a show that is about fine dining and restaurants, every time they talk about that, it's when I lose the most amount of interest. And we talked about this last week. I couldn't be more in the bag for this. As a guy who loves prestige television and loves fine dining so much that I co-own a fine dining restaurant, But the show's treatment of that stuff is so grating and self-indulgent. Honestly, like the finale of this season took away a lot of the momentum that I thought the last few episodes had built up the first half of that finale, just being these real world, top tier chefs just sitting around a table, giving us the same vibe on fine dining that we've heard for three seasons. This is about family. This is about cooking to make people happy. This is about service. It's like we know that. Like, I don't care about the woman who owns Milk Bar. Lecture me on this stuff. And I think the other thing about the show's treatment of fine dining is all of these ideas about it being about hospitality and care and nurturing. The kinds of voices in the show are these top tier, super rich, elite chefs who run chain restaurants all around the country. It's like, that's not really what they practice, so it just feels like quite hollow to me. I can't get excited at all about the conversations in the show about the actual world of Restauranting.
S3: That final episode was quite shocking in how terrible it was. I genuinely thought I was like, has the Fine Dining Institute of America sponsored this episode or something.
S7: Like right, right.
S1: At some point it became like just a, a lobbying attempt for a group of like elite restaurateurs.
S3: Yeah, yeah. And at the same time as they're trying to, like, promote the benefits of fine dining, they're trying to give us the narrative of how traumatized Carmy is, that he has to blow up everyone else's life because he's had such a horrible time learning how to, I don't know, cross a chicken's legs or whatever that whole thing was about. I just thought that last episode really was the epitome of what was wrong with the whole season its reliance on collage, its melodrama, its musical kind of heavy handedness. All of those things that we discussed from the first half were here in the second half, and then they just put the little cherry on top of the cake with this final episode.
S2: Yeah. And that's what I mean in terms of like, who is this show for now? Like I feel like in the first two seasons, you know, I don't know, none of us are really, like, super familiar. I mean, maybe you are Osment with the, like, Chicago dining scene, but there were like, you know, little snippets of people in the first two seasons that were like winks and they were like, well used. And everyone was like, oh, that's cool. That's like insidery. And now it's gone the complete wrong way. And it's like, I don't know, he's Christopher Storer. He and his sister have like a deep, you know, food background. Is he just like trying to impress these people and like, win them over by putting them in these like really famous show because it no longer felt like that was for the audience, that felt like it was for the people in the show to be like, you know, like it's weird circle jerk thing, which is like, not what the bear has ever been about. And like, you know, I do think all of that being said, there are still some really beautiful moments in these episodes. And like, I know we're going to talk about the episode that was that was great. Like, we, you know, to to go back into the world of just that one character and get this bottle episode and, you know, nothing kind of matches, I guess, like fishes or forks from last season. But I still thought the journey of Tina was good. And also it convinced me once again that the only thing I really want to eat at the bear or the beef is the Italian sandwich.
S1: Mm. Yeah. Let's talk about the stuff that was good. Like the Tina episode. I enjoyed it because it was a respite from all the wanky circle jerk stuff, and it gave me stuff that I kind of didn't know that I needed or wanted. But then when I got it, I was like, this is actually cool. Like, I didn't know anything about how long Tina had been working at that restaurant, getting an insight into her life, getting a snapshot of just like working class life in America. For someone from that kind of background and the the struggles that you experienced, the meeting with Jon Bernthal. Like, it's so good to see Jon Bernthal in the show. That was awesome. Just like 15 minutes of them sitting at a table talking about their life, their work, their dreams, what they want to achieve that felt like quite meaningful and nice and was a really good break from all the bullshit of the kami. Oh my God, it's so hard to get the wishbone out of the chicken man who gives up.
S2: That's what I mean. Like watching the two of them talk like it was. That was like a really beautiful human moment when they're like, comparing their shitty days. And he, like, goes first and then she goes next. And that's like, how many people do that every day when you're like, I'm having a bad day. Me too. Like, okay, you download, then I'll download. Like, that's the show at its very best. You know, you've just got two people in a situation. They find their way to one another and then like we go from there and it's just so much more relatable. So I just thought like that the episode worked really well and like, I thought her husband was a great character. It just. Yeah, it was it was really nice. And, you know, I thought in terms of like a great, you know, addition to her CV, the way that like the repetition of her of Tina every day, like going out to find a job, like the way it was cut together, like it looked great. So that to me was like the standout.
S3: Yeah, I think that episode is an achievement. But then when you look at it in the season overall, it just makes you more confused about what the bear is trying to do and be. And I think you're right, like the reason it was so welcomed was because we just had such a lead up of fairly average episodes, without a lot going on. I do think this show is like very kind to its characters. There was that moment in the In the Tina episode where she says something like, she's not, she doesn't, she doesn't attack all the younger people who have kind of dismissed her and rolled their eyes at her because of her background. She's very generous about it, and I do think that is something this show does sometimes, for good or for bad, that it's kind to its characters.
S1: Yeah, people are kind of like, uh, victims of circumstance and of the structures around them, rather than being individual, morally bad people. It's like what Tina is going through is a structural readjustment of the Chicago economy, where people like her are considered devalued and a whole generation of just like young, hyper addicted to work people who don't care about it because they're alienated, whatever. That's smart and.
S3: Interesting. Yeah, definitely. And very traitor with a lot of dignity. So I thought that was really good. And then obviously the other one was, uh, where sugar has her baby, um, which I thought was a very another very moving, powerful episode.
S2: Yeah, it was funny because I feel like everyone was, I guess, waiting for the return of Jamie Lee Curtis, that we all knew it was coming. And, you know, she was such a standout in fishers. I thought this episode was good too. Not quite as like I didn't lose my mind over it like everyone else did. I think Jamie Lee is so good at playing like manic like her. She gets that look in her eyes. Basically, her and Claire Danes have like, the best crazy eyes in the business. But yeah, like, I thought the episode was good and and, you know, there was some really beautiful moments. But again, it's just like, it feels so strange to be sitting here talking about the bear and being, like, almost like having to cling on to these two, like pretty good episodes as a way of like justifying the third season.
S3: This is the funeral for the bear. Mhm.
S1: Um, one other bit that I just wanted to talk about the two, two bits that are not part of those two standalone episodes that I really enjoyed, that I also think go to what the show could be at its best if it just maybe, maybe part of the issue is that Christopher Storer had two critically acclaimed seasons of the show, and the network's like, you just do whatever you want to do, and he indulged some of his instincts when it needed to be pared back a bit. The bits that I think it could focus on more when the facts who I think have just been in the show a bit too much. There's too many facts. There's I don't know whether it's about them trying to justify their comedy entry at the Emmys, which I think is maybe part of it, because there's been this constant conversation of how is the bear in the comedy category? This is like category fraud. And now they're like, no, no, no, it's funny. We've got these funny guys. Generally they they didn't do much for me. But when they go to visit Claire in the hospital, I thought that was kind of interesting. And I think, what do you do with a show that for three seasons has been set in the same venue, with the same characters? To move things forward, you kind of need to push things. You need to like introduce new characters or new settings or new drama, new tension. And this was an example of that. We're in a different space. I didn't love Claire in the second season, but I found her quite interesting. Now, two characters who've never interacted with her on screen, their dynamic, how they're talking about the relationship between her and kami. It's kind of funny. It was kind of heartfelt. That was really good. And then the other one like that was when Richie talks to his ex-wife in the playground. I wish more of the season had been Richie and his freaking out about the wedding. Basically everything that he did was really interesting. Gillian Jacobs is really good. That was also really cool. It's new characters pushing old characters in certain directions, making them grapple with change. Life circumstances. Like that's what's so good about TV as a medium is you create characters, you create settings, you think you know them, and then you throw challenges their way and you see how they fend them off. And when the show did that a bit, it was great. Overwhelmingly, the show just didn't do it. And it certainly didn't do it with Carmy, who is dealing with the same challenge he's dealt with his entire life.
S2: And to have the entire stakes of the season let rest on. A review from the Chicago Tribune like that just doesn't in this day and age. Like people just don't care. Like it's hard to get people to be as invested in, like the outcome of that as a as it was, for instance, even in the last season finale when it was like, you know, Carmy having a breakdown and possibly blowing up his relationship as well as his relationship with Richie, like, people can get around that. Whereas like, you know, cutting on, you know, a Google alert that the review from the Chicago Tribune has come in like.
S1: Honestly, what's more stressful is your Google rating dropping from like 4.7 to 4.4, because a bunch of racist people give you reviews like that is more detrimental to your financial bottom line than a review in a legacy newspaper. No offense to our wonderful colleagues at Good Food, but the economics of restaurants don't really live or die. On one review from something like the Chicago Tribune, and as if it wasn't already annoying enough to have that be the main stakes of the season, you then have uncle just be like, hey, by the way, this review is bad. Like, I'm going to destroy your restaurant.
S7: Yeah, that was not necessary.
S3: I think that you're so right like that. The elements where they push the plot forward with characters who weren't kami was when it's at its best. And the other good storyline was Sydney's wrestling about whether to leave the restaurant and go and chase up other opportunities. And considering what she's built at the bear and the fine dining restaurant versus the potential she has and how to grow, how to change, I thought that was also really interesting. Sadly, it didn't get developed much. Hopefully it will move on, but I'm really glad we've all come around to that. The kami character, the emotionally repressed chef.
S1: Happy to lord this over.
S3: Like the emotionally repressed chef who can't express himself and makes everyone else's life a living nightmare. Like, I think we're done with it. I was we're I think society has agreed that we're we're over.
S7: It's almost like.
S2: Kami brought it back. And then he killed it.
S3: Yeah, he killed it himself.
S7: Yeah.
S2: I mean, look, I haven't loved kami this season either. Obviously, I still, you know, he's still my boy. But I guess the question will be in, you know, do does the same sense of reviews spell the end of the bear? Because the reviews have generally been quite bad and, well, you know, a single bad review may not impact the restaurant in the show's universe. I don't know, I feel like definitely the spate of bad reviews for season three is going to temper expectations for season four. We assume that's probably going to be the last season anyway because they filmed them back to back, but it creates an interesting environment for season four to enter into because the show has been great. Season three, they cooked it and now we're getting this last season. Like what? What happens now?
S3: It's almost kind of a shame that they've already filmed the final season, because not that I think that it's always helpful for creators to have real feedback on their work as they're making it, but maybe in this case it would have been.
S1: Yeah, I feel like Chris Torres online enough to have been across what worked and didn't work from this season. And I think you're spot on that it might have been good to just like, have that input a little bit and dial things in a different way. We don't know though, right? Like we have talked about how it felt like this season was stretching out. Not a lot of plot very thinly. Maybe there's a lot in the chamber for season four. Like I'm still excited for it. When the show is good, it makes me feel really happy. I have some expectations that we could get something better, and I guess the advantage at this point is expectations are low so we can only be like, happily surprised. So it'll be fun to talk about it next year when the show's out. But um, yeah, sad to say, not one of our best viewing experiences this year. No.
S2: Do not let it rip. Just let it simmer a bit more.
S1: All right, let's talk about music. We cover the music industry a lot in our jobs here at the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. And over the last couple of years there's been some pretty clear and I'd say depressing patterns about what's going on live music right now. If you're not one of the biggest artists in the world, Taylor Swift, Fred again level. It's really tough. It's tough to sell out shows. It's tough to get people to pay money to come and see you. In Australia in particular, Australian artists are really struggling to break through the traditional model of how they could make a living and boost their careers kind of doesn't work anymore. For most of the last 50 years, certainly most of our lives artists could make a buck playing in small, medium sized venues across the country. They could tour big festivals up and down the East coast. Triple J getting a song playlisted on that would give you huge amounts of coverage and attention and boost your sales. Triple J just does not rate in the way that it used to. It can't influence the tastes of Australians in the same way anymore. The biggest drivers of musical discovery now things like Spotify, YouTube, TikTok these are places where Australian artists are just getting drowned out by the sheer volume of what is going on internationally, and you can actually see this represented numerically in the Aria charts. And Mel, you're a recent addition to my Instagram follower list.
S7: Well, welcome to the madness.
S1: Yeah, welcome to the madness. Thomas, you've been there a little bit longer. You might not have witnessed this, but, um, every so often when, uh, the Aria Instagram page releases, it's like top ten Australian singles or top ten singles. I will share it because for the last like ten years, there's largely been like one song in the top 50, and that has been Vance Joy's Riptide.
S7: What a song though.
UU: Are you running down to the Riptide? Taken away to the dark side I want to be your left hand man.
S1: I love people who are close to me. You know will tease me about my obsession with that song and how it charts. For the record. I don't hate the song. I don't hate Vance Joy at all. I think it is remarkable in not a good way, that this one song is the only commercially successful Australian song for the past, like 11 years. But let's look at the Aria charts this week, for example. So in the top 50 singles on the Aria charts right now there are only three Australian artists. It's actually like 1 or 2 more than it's been for most of the year. Uh, The Kid Laroi is there with a couple of tracks, his new single and his, uh, previous one. There's a DJ. I don't know if you guys are across this guy Cyril. Uh, he kind of just reworks of songs he has remixed stumbling in the Suzi Quatro and Chris Norman track. He's up There. Good on DJ Cyril. And then there's Vance Joy with Riptide, a song that was released 11 years ago. That is what is charting in terms of Australian artists right now. And when you look at specifically the top 20 Australian singles right now, it's kind of even more grim. Four of them out of the top 20 are AC DC songs released like at least 30 or 40 years ago. There's another six songs that are at least 10 or 15 years old, so that's half of the top 20 being 15 years or older. There are two different versions of gorgeous. Somebody I Used to Know like, this is it's not good, right? And I guess the question is, rant aside, Oz, like, what does this mean? And maybe the way to start the conversation with you guys, I ran into our colleague Marnie, who's on the sports team here, and she was wearing a jumper. A client liaison jumper looked really cool and I was like, oh, we're talking about Australian music today. Like, are you listening to any Australian acts that are new or interesting? And she's like, no, I don't even know where I would discover Australian music anymore. And all three of us work in this industry, so we're sort of like a bit of a biased sample. But putting aside getting media releases from labels or from acts themselves, how were you guys, if at all, you are discovering new Australian songs or music?
S3: I think that really hits the nail on the head. Like that question summarizes what the issue is, which is that Australian artists are finding it impossible to break through and to reach new audiences. When you think about, like the traditional methods of discovery, they're no longer there. Triple J is struggling, we know, to retain a Gen Z audience. We know that music street presses are not thriving in the way that they used to. And we also know that the charts and I don't think this is the answer to the problem, but it is obviously part of a bigger discussion. The charts aren't reflecting the Australian acts that are coming through, because the way that they're the data is collected is obviously privileging visibility, which is why you get superstars monopolizing it and why you get old favourites staying on the list. So I think that is the issue is that people aren't finding new artists. The venues are collapsing, as we know, during Covid more than 1000 closed down. So that would have been another traditional method live music. And that's not there anymore. How do I find I'm like, I guess I'm pretty lucky in the job that I'm in. We often get approached by record companies who are showing their new acts, and that is actually how I've discovered a lot of Australian music, and particularly that like peaches PRC. Every so often we will do, uh, kind of young music to watch story. So I guess that's really how I find it through this like position, lucky position that I'm in. But if you're not in industries where you're getting that kind of access, I don't know where you're finding it.
S2: Yeah, it is really strange. Like, I, I feel like I have had like, really strange experiences that speak to, I guess, so many of the problems that we have, like, okay, for instance, when you get into the car and you drive, most people I would say have their automatically your Bluetooth hooks up to your car and you listen to music on streaming that you've already been listening to. Uh, but like, you know, every so often, if you just like chuck the radio on, I will regularly like if I have triple J on, I hear a song I like, I'll then like look up that artist on my Spotify. And then eventually, once you've like, say you listen to their album, then you get to like the artist radio. That to me has been a path to find new stuff, but that's such a convoluted way of having to, like, stumble onto new Australian artists. So I remember like for ages when I first got into Bad dreams, then through the bad dreams like Artist Radio, I found all these other Australian bands that you know, are similar ish and that opens up. But like that is a very that's a lot of steps to get to new music.
S1: Yeah, totally. And Spotify is a really interesting one. I was trying to see if there are any new music Australian Spotify playlist, and there were some that you think might be new Australian songs, and they're not like Hot Hits Australia. That's a playlist. What if I curate? It's not Australian music, it's just like big international tracks that are curated for Australian listeners. That's a bit confusing. I like drill music, as you guys know, and so Spotify served me an Aussie drill playlist and I thought, well, this might be some new drill tracks. No, it's like in the beginning by one for if you know, you know by hooligan houses are like five six year old songs. Cosby Sweater by the Hilltop Hoods, which is absolutely not a drill song. It's on that playlist. And I think if it wasn't for the work that I do or the fact that I have a lot of friends and kind of former colleagues who work in the music industry or are artists, I.
S7: Would.
S1: Generally really struggle. And if that's how I feel, I don't blame normal people for not understanding what is happening in the Australian music landscape right now. And I think it's so it's so interesting because we talked about triple J, we talk about triple J a couple of times that was created to basically solve the same problem that we're having now. There wasn't an Australian radio station that played Australian music to younger people, and there was concerns that Australian artists and Australian audiences were going to miss out on a generation of sounds, ideas, storytelling. So the government needed to create something to nurture it, because ultimately, I think there's a general belief that it's important to have a creative and artistic community in Australia, and it's important for artists to be able to tell Australian stories musically and otherwise. So the government did it. Now the idea of like the government creating its own streaming platform, or even trying to regulate streaming platforms to encourage Australian music feels pretty far fetched. Like they can't even really do it right with meta to keep journalists employed. We've talked about streaming quotas on things like Netflix that was supposed to happen this year. It looks like from people I speak to in the industry, that might not happen before the next federal election. I can't really get a handle on whether people think or realize that this is a significant issue. I'm interested to get your guys vibes on that. Like you're talking about the venue shutting down Mel. I think there's a bit of conversation about that. There's a bit of conversation about the issues in festival land, like there are government inquiries looking at live music. I don't know if enough people are really across the fact that just the bare bones nature of I'm an artist trying to make a song and get that song played and get people to listen to it, which is the very base level of how this industry is supposed to work, is kind of fundamentally broken. Do people know that?
S2: I mean, I would say from the, you know, sample size of the people I know, and we've obviously discussed that they're not exactly the greatest people sometimes. But like I would say that they they not only do they not know, but like perhaps they don't care, which is like depressing and perhaps an indictment on like, I don't know where people in this particular, you know, day and age in the moment we exist in right now value, you know, the importance of new music. But like I just don't think they do like, I like it's it's sad to say, but I definitely feel like even my, my friends who aren't really into like, you know, entertainment and music and the arts and stuff, like in terms of where new music ranks in their list of priorities, like they'll be way more across, like what's going on in film and TV and that landscape, as opposed to like new music. I don't know, I feel like as you get older, unfortunately, people get rusted on to what they know. And the passion for discovering new music especially, is something that like dulls. And unless you happen to be in the industry, which we all are, people don't really go seeking it out in the way that they go. Seeking out the new TV series, the new film, because that stuff gets fed to us more and more. And so, I don't know, it's like on so many different fronts, I think, you know, to be a new group or a new artist, you're facing like a lot of different battles.
S3: Yeah. And I also don't know if people fully realize the necessity of protecting Australian culture and why it's important to support Australian new artists in particular, and not just in music. Obviously, this applies to all different fields, but I think that is a historic thing that goes well. Back to like the cultural cringe and how we've consistently devalued the role of the arts. And like, I don't know, even, you know, Stem is important, but I think Stem, sport, all these other things are historically valued over the role that storytellers have. Um, and I think that it's because it's hard to measure. Right. Like, although sometimes you can measure it when you have certain film franchises or, you know, we talk about Bluey a bit, but I think because it's hard to measure, these new artists can miss out. But what they're bringing is not necessarily financial, but it's a way of, you know, reflecting our culture back to ourselves, which I think people, until it's gone, you don't really realize what you're what you're losing.
S1: Yeah. And I think in that vein, one thing I wanted to mention is the closure after 25 years of the Sydney independent record label Elefant Traks, who a big part of the independent music scene for decades, particularly hip hop acts like The Herd, Urthboy, Hermitude, L-fresh The Lion, Horrorshow like these are independent acts nurtured by a music label that could make eke out a living, we should say never super financially lucrative. And those are artists that represented very specific parts of Australia, whether it's like indigenous acts like The Last Connection, whether it's DJs from the Blue Mountains like Hermitude, whether it's kids from the inner West, whether it's L-fresh from Western Sydney, they told stories about the places and communities they came from, and they could only exist because of a musical infrastructure and a label that existed to support them. With that label closing and basically no one creating new labels because it doesn't make any sense. As we've been talking about, there's literally like stories and genres and kinds of music that will just not really hit. And maybe the other thing to say is none of this is a knock on artists or the people trying to promote them. I'm not mad at or saying there aren't good Australian artists. I'm going to name some good Australian artists I think people should check out in a minute. It's more the structure around how all this stuff works is making it very hard for them to succeed. I do think, though, in some major labels this is a really interesting thing. So a few people have broken down their numbers for me over the past couple of weeks, and they've I've been asking around different artists and different industry people. Where do you think some of these key issues lie and who's responsible? They made the point that in the olden days, like say, ten, 15 years ago, about 90% of the revenue from major labels came from selling new music because people had to buy albums. Right. Once you own the Fleetwood Mac Best of album, you don't need to buy it again. You just play it all the time. So for labels to make money, they have to find and break and nurture new acts to convince you to buy new records. With the advent of streaming, the numbers have totally flipped. About 90% of the money comes from streaming back catalogue stuff. So you do listen to Fleetwood Mac on Spotify rather than playing the album now, and every time you do that generates money for the label and for the band. So major labels don't have the same incentive they used to to find and nurture and help break Australian artists. There are big labels in this country who have cut back their A&R departments, and they're the people who are in charge of finding and nurturing acts because it's way less risky and more economically safe to spend $1 million saying, go and listen to Fleetwood Mac records than it is to say, hey, this new artist Thomas Mitchell's got a great album, give it a red hot go. And so there is that side of it as well, and I don't yeah, I don't know what the fix is. I don't run these labels, but there's a lot of factors that are all aligning to make the Australian music landscape feel pretty grim at the.
S7: Moment Then I.
S2: Mean, a lot of buzz around that Thomas Mitchell guy, by the way, you guys should check him out. I think that's what's so interesting though, because like obviously we're seeing this like clogging of the charts with old artists like, you know, as it was, Harry styles has been on there basically since it dropped Ed Sheeran. Like all these people that we just like, you know, obviously Taylor and I saw that in, in the UK in the Official Charts Company, they changed their rules a couple of years ago to limit the amount of songs that one artist can have on the chart. So yeah, interesting. One artist can only have a limit of three songs in the UK chart at any given time. So, you know, that was like actually created in response to Ed Sheeran's, um, whatever, whichever math symbol album he released that was really good. But like so so that means that, I guess, could that be an incentive to a label? Because, you know, obviously charting still means a lot. It makes you eligible for a bunch of awards and labels, still want the prestige and recognition that comes with charting. So if we do institute rules like that here, so you can only have, you know, you know, three songs from an artist or you could have like there's been suggestions of doing like Time limits. So a song can only chart for this long or it has to be within this amount of time of release. And then I guess you create a bit more of a framework around what is allowed to chart. So then because obviously, as you said, the nature of streaming is that people just go and listen to whatever they want to listen to, and it's often just their favourite songs from 15 years ago. And that way you can kind of like maybe like massage the charts back into a more contemporary reflection of like what is going on and what is actually being listened to as opposed to people's favorite shit.
S3: But I don't know if I do think that that like, I think it's interesting to talk about the charts. Um, and I think the Arias have changed their charts and how they collect their data over the years. Um, but I do think that would be a bit that's a bit of a distraction from the issue. Like, I don't know if you want to massage the data to necessarily tell a kind of story to, to Australian artists like you may as well just address the issue of why Australian artists are struggling so much rather than be like, well, here's the data all polished up. I mean, we do it for your story. Sometimes we we twist the data to look good for you and it doesn't address the issue. Right. Like, you know what I mean? Like it's a distraction in a way.
S2: But I think you could address all problems at the same time. Do you know what I mean? Like, rather than. Yeah, just like papering over the cracks of the Da to make it paint a pretty picture that could be part of a larger solution.
S1: Yeah. Like what merit is there in a chart that tells you that AC, DC have four songs in the top 20 right now? That to me is an issue. It's like maybe I think all the ideas you suggested, Thomas, make sense. Maybe there's another one there, which is like, just have a chart that is for like music that's been released in the past 12 months. So we know what Australian acts that are making new music, how are they doing? What are people listening to? What is hitting doesn't solve all the problems. I completely agree with you, Mel, but if like a young Australian act, someone is going to mention Nick Ward has a really successful song because he's been playlisted by triple J, he's been announced as Troye Sivan's support act for the tour later this year. There's maybe a little bit of buzz around him if he can get the chance to track in a chart that isn't crowded out by AC, DC and a 30 year old gorgeous song or 20 year old gorgeous song, like, maybe that could put him on the radar a little bit so these things could potentially work in tandem.
S2: But I feel like the other thing we probably need to mention is, well, two things. Obviously, I think in response to all of this, like last year, Tony Burke announced the creation of Music Australia, which is basically a body that is dedicated to, I think one of their biggest priorities is addressing discoverability, because that's what really is so hard right now. But I suppose we probably have to discuss like TikTok, because that is where, you know, the classic triple J demo exists now is on TikTok. And obviously there's been so many different issues in terms of like licensing of songs and ways to get discovered and the fact that TikTok is a platform that basically is exists and will only, you know, spotlight artists if their music goes viral. But like basically, I guess if I was an Australian musician, like wanting to break out, I'd be like, well, look, all of these 16 to 30 year olds really are like existing on TikTok or listening to stuff or discovering stuff on TikTok, like, how do I infiltrate this platform that is kind of like engineered to be geared against me anyway, but like what? What happens there like that? That is a big problem for Australian artists.
S3: Well, I think it's a problem if they feel like they have to infiltrate that, because TikTok obviously likes a very certain kind of music. I mean, Gracie Abrams is maybe the epitome of that likes a very certain kind of song. Um, and that's dominating. So I don't think you want to get the Australian artists to create the song that TikTok is loving, because then you will just have the same song created over and over again. I actually think the bigger issue really is like, artists don't make a lot of money out of record sales or streams, like they make their money out of touring. And that, I think, is the real crux of the issue in Australia is that they don't have anywhere to play anymore.
S1: Totally, totally and harder for them to tour internationally with, you know, exchange rates, cost of living, visa fees increasing for artists in the States. It's a story that Meg, our colleague, covered a couple of weeks ago, just on the streaming side of things. I mean, there this is where there have been conversations for the government to step in and actually and it's a boring word to use, but like regulate, like if they're going to talk about making sure that Netflix prioritizes Australian content, why can't there be discussion around, you know, when Spotify makes its playlist? So when Spotify plays radio, you know, it's like, you like this artist, listen to that artist. Every third song has to be an Australian song. Like, why not just say you operate in our country, you make money from Australians, and part of the quid pro quo of that is you have to ensure that Australian acts can't just be drowned out by Sabrina Carpenter again and again, or Gracie Abrams on TikTok. Like, I think that is something that could be done. I hope Music Australia is doing it. I mean, they're smart people probably think about this stuff more than us. I'm kind of surprised that no one in the government just stood up and said, hey, yeah, there's a real issue here with music in Australia. Every artist is talking about it. Every label is talking about it, the media is talking about it. We're going to look at what we can do. It sort of just seems like, oh, well, maybe get to it once we figure out what to do with Netflix, which has been going on for years and years. So I feel a little bit pessimistic. But hopefully this conversation encourages people to think about it. Maybe there are some influential people listening to this and starting those convos. If music companies in Australia, if artists started demanding the government do something to enforce Australian music, be played on things like TikTok and Spotify, I think that could go a long way. Along with the touring stuff that you mentioned, Mel.
S3: I'm kind of skeptical that we'll see the government try to enforce quotas on TikTok. Um, I agree, I'm just chucking out some.
S7: Ideas like be positive.
S3: We've seen how they've gone with meta. Um, I actually think the more maybe effective model to steal from is what they've done with the film industry, which are like kind of tax offsets and rebates. I wonder if that's more of a way to incentivize these companies to, to promote Australian musicians, because I.
S7: Just don't.
S3: Want to sound like the AFR, but I don't know if the regulation of the big companies is going to work like Sony. I love Sony, but like, they're not, you know, they they have to make a profit like they're not.
S7: Your lunch coming up.
S3: I don't have faith in their kind of their altruism.
S1: I feel like regardless of which path anyone takes, we have just come up with like seven great ideas to help, and I hope someone listening to this takes them on. I said that I wanted to mention a couple of recent Australian songs, because I don't want to just talk about the issues here and then my My Impress Your Friends is not an Australian artist, so I thought I should mention Australian acts before people make fun of me. I mentioned Nick Ward before up and coming pop guy on the Troy Tour. His most recent single, Shooting Star is really, really fun. If you want a pop kind of a vibe. Amyl and the sniffers, they don't need my help. They're a big and successful band. I've always loved them. Their most recent single, You Should Not Be Doing That is really good. Like, I think this is one of the best Australian songs in the last little while. It's really, really fun and it's so exciting to see them kill it overseas. And the final one northeast Party House, more electro sort of vibe. Their latest album is awesome, but the lead single off it, enhancer, is also really fun. So there's a bit of a rock, pop and dance recommendations. So there you go. I'm doing my bit to support Australian music. Let's move on to our final and most beloved segment, Impress Your Friends, where we share something that we watched, listened to, read, or consumed last week in culture. Uh, Mel? I'm up.
S3: Well, learning new Australian writers. My recommendation this week is, um, kin. Mine's new memoir, Fragile Creatures. It's a really the word that comes to mind is graceful, like it's a very graceful book. It's about his experience growing up in Perth. His mum was a migrant from England, his dad was a Burmese refugee. And it starts, it looks at the racism he endured in Perth growing up from that background, and it's really quite horrific and at times hard to watch. But then it moves into this experience he has going overseas, and his former partner accuses him of stalking her. So he has to face a court case overseas. And while that's going on, his sister has been facing this illness, which leaves her in bed for months and months and months, and she's getting worse. And it's an illness that, you know, the diagnosis is contentious, so there's all these different elements of it. But he brings it together so nicely and it's really honest and insightful, and it's a look at masculinity and racism and also the idea about how the body and mind works together. It's just a very, uh, it's a great read. I would recommend it. And I'm it's a quiet book. It's from a smaller publisher, Black Inc.. Uh, Ken is a writer, but I don't think has is, you know, particularly well known. So I hope it does kind of make a mark because it does deserve to be read.
S1: Good on you supporting Australian artists, Mel.
S7: Great try.
S1: Great stuff. Um.
S2: Thomas Vine is a TV show on a little known streamer, Aussie streamer named Apple. This. This is very good, though. Um, you know, we've been in a bit of a funny time for, for new TV shows, and obviously the bear is pointing us all, but This is Sunny, starring Rashida Jones, who I think we all know and love. Um, I think she's great. Uh, and so basically, this is adapted from Colin O'Sullivan's novel. Uh, but basically she plays an American woman living in Japan with her Japanese husband. And one day, her husband and son disappear in a plane crash. Uh, it all feels very mysterious. A bit losti almost. Um, but as far as we know, her husband has passed away. Uh, she, you know, in this kind of strange, you know, post death.
S7: Grief.
S2: That has gripped her, she then, like, gets a knock at the door one day and she meets Sonny, a robot that her husband, who was far as she knew, worked for a refrigeration company has created and tailored to her exact sensibilities. He has a full history of her life, and he basically is the ultimate companion. And at first, she doesn't really know what to make of it. And then as the show kind of goes along, it becomes, you know, this comfort, but it also becomes this increasingly kind of like dark force in her life. And the show is really funny. Rashida Jones is so good at toeing the line between like, drama and then like comedy, and also just there's this constant sense of foreboding. The show does become like a kind of comment on, you know, where the future is headed. And I and all of those things we love to delve into. But yeah, if you're if you're looking for a kind of an off beat show that is a bit different to everything else out there right now, um, Sunny on Apple is definitely worth a watch.
S7: Uh, Apple.
S1: TV hitting it out of the park lately.
S7: I think I'd love a robot friend.
S2: Yeah, you probably would.
S7: Yeah.
S1: Avoid the obvious Thomas joke.
S3: Yeah. Set you up.
S7: There.
S1: Uh, my my recommendation is my guy, Zack Bryant. Back. Surprise album out of nowhere. The great American bar scene. I will say I really liked this album. So, Zack Bryant, for people who are not familiar with my adoration of country artist in America, really, really good. Had that really big hit. I remember everything with Kacey Musgraves, I think, towards the end of last year, but has released a couple of awesome albums. His self-titled is probably my favorite. Uh, I will say about this album, it's not like a radical reinvention of Zach. It's very much the same stuff that we've had from him in a while, but it's pretty good. There's a Bruce Springsteen collaboration on there, which is really, really nice. Um, my two favorite tracks, if you're a bit daunted by the size and the length of the album, and you want to just sort of what are the good bits? Uh, 28 and Oak Island. Two real standout fun, kind of more poppy, accessible bits, but just really nice to have another full length Zach Bryant album. Yes, it's my recommendation.
S2: I just wanted to offer some feedback on your recommendation.
S1: Feel free.
S2: Firstly, it fucking features John Mayer and you didn't.
S7: Sorry, you didn't even mention it.
S1: Which is I'm trying to pretend that one doesn't exist.
S2: I actually quite like that song. The album is great. I listened to it on the way to work this morning. I've been so into it when when he just, like, comes out with Wet Hot American.
S7: Best kind of.
S2: Best lyrics since I was.
S7: I've never more.
S1: Wanted to just be a guy who drives a truck. And the main thing I'm worried about is like, what I'm bringing to the cookout on Friday night. And that is the nostalgia that he is like conjuring up. And I'm like, man, yeah, the world used to be a more simple place. You don't have to worry about politics or the state of the world, just your family. You know, your job, your gun, your truck. I mean, I'm.
S7: Making it sound like a conservative album. It's not.
S3: You're fetishizing kind of working class culture here.
S1: I, I.
S7: I.
S1: Mean, that's country music, right? Like, that's that's the vibes. It's simple and straightforward and yeah, he's you know, he's an interesting songwriter as well. I don't mean to write him off as just like a country hick or whatever, but, um, there's something about the detachment from a lot of the chaos and drama in the world that we kind of cover and talk about all the time that I find really appealing about the album. So it's good. It's a great listen.
S3: I'm glad it came out in time for your birthday, too.
S1: Thanks, Mel. Thank you. Um, that's it from us guys. Great conversations. Always take care. See you next week.
S7: Perfect. We've got to go.
S3: Out with Riptide shortly.
S7: I was scared of dentists, and.
S10: I was scared of dentists and the dark. I was scared of pretty girls and starting conversations.
UU: All my friends are turning green.
S1: This episode of The Drop was produced by Kai Wong. If you enjoyed listening to today's episode of The Drop, make sure to follow us on your favorite podcast app. Leave us a review or better yet, share it with a friend! I'm Usman Farooqui. See you next week!