Speaker 1: Now on weekends asker training thanks to not Be Kitchens since nineteen thirty nine and with Sydney's largest kitchen showrooms and free in home design service.
Speaker 2: So I'm in Stephenson's in the studio one three one eight seven three to ask him a question on the open line, any diy question you have, No job is too big or too small, and there's no silly questions here. One three one eight seven three.
Speaker 3: Hi mate you well, I'm good mate, yourself.
Speaker 2: Very well, indeed, very well. Indeed we're going to start today by talking about painting difficult surfaces for example a tile and other things. I mean you hear about people and we've talked about it before. Freshening the kitchen cupboards. So look, get you've got to use the right paint would be the right place to start.
Speaker 4: The right paint has a lot to do with it and using a good quality paint, using something that you know you can afford, the best you can afford, because you know the labor doing it all and all the preparation is the is the cost, the most expensive part about it and the bit that takes you the longest.
Speaker 5: So using the best quality paint.
Speaker 4: But a friend of mine sent me some photos this week at a bathroom that you know, was painted by somebody and the paint was all peeling off the tiles and things like that, and I just said, look, most importantly, where you painting areas like that? And it could be a kitchen, could be a bathroom. Whatever is that preparation. It's sanding surfaces and cleaning them thoroughly, because no paint's going to stick over soap scum, greasy fingerprints. You know, you might not see what's on that surface.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there's definitely something there.
Speaker 4: You know, handrails, I couldn't tell you the amount of times I've gone to handrails that people have painted over. You know, people walk up and down those handrails with their hands over them all the time. There's so much debris on there, it's just insane. So yeah, spend the time sand it, clean it, and then do that.
Speaker 5: Preparation right from the get go. And you shouldn't have a problem as long as you're using the right paint.
Speaker 2: So with a tile, and we talk here in nor Glass advertised with it's about nor Clean. So with a tile, is that something you would typically sand first? Or are there paints that have really strong adhesion to something like a look.
Speaker 5: They do have strong adhesion.
Speaker 4: The one we use from nor Glass is their ship shaped primer. It's a two pack primer. They've also got a single pack primer as well that sticks really really well. Paints have come a long way in the past sort of ten twenty years, but again nothing, even those good quality paints that stick really well won't stick to a surface if it's not prepared properly. So with a tile, give it a light sand. You're not going to scratch the surface a whole lot, but give it a light sand anyway, with a sanding sponge or a really fine grit wet and dry sandpaper and then clean it thoroughly.
Speaker 5: And that nor clean really good.
Speaker 4: And you change your cloths regularly so you're not using a cloth that's got all the dirt on it that you've just washed off and just keep using that same one until it's black or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's a great cloth. I've had it for ten years.
Speaker 2: It still does its working well. On the handrail, this is self indulgent luky at play here because I've got a handrail now, a timber one. Is that something that you would clean with the nor Clean product or doesn't need to be that. I don't want to say harsh, but something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look nor Clean Clean, or even a sugar soap. You know, sugar can get from the hardware store paint stores. You know, sugar soap has been around for many years, and it will break down that grease as well, and you can give it a really good clean and then rinse it and make sure you get all the sugar soap debris off from that as well.
Speaker 2: Not that I have oily hands, but there might be someone in my place that does.
Speaker 3: Good e Peter, Yes, good morning morninging.
Speaker 6: Look, Simon, I have a place in Sersey with the aluminium riley. It's free years old and the black color which was originally power coated on the aluminium in places where they welded the joint that's got no color there. Can you please tell me what pri much what you use and how can I either spray flat black or brush flat black one of these places?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: And why a flat black I wouldn't be using on a railing outside it's aluminum, you're saying. I would think you should be using a satin finish and.
Speaker 5: Not a flat black. So yeah, so use a saturn.
Speaker 4: Look that there's lots of spray cans now that will go directly onto a surface like that, and Rustolium do make one. So if you go to your local hardware store, look at the spray cans and I used one a.
Speaker 5: Few weeks ago that had like a dial on it you.
Speaker 4: Could change the setting of the spray not on your spray can and it was fantastic. So you know, Rustoliam do make some good products there. If you want to brush it, then I'd be going to something like the nor Glass products as well. You can look at that, but there's a few different options there cleaning, sanding and preparing that surface first, making sure there's no oxidization with that aluminum.
Speaker 5: But then you can go ahead and with either a spray can or a brush.
Speaker 2: Is well, let's ask is spraying easier, quicker, give you a better result?
Speaker 4: Look, you're going to get a really nice result with a spray can, you know.
Speaker 5: It's just you've got to mask up.
Speaker 4: You've got to make sure that you're protecting the surfaces around you, of course, and definitely don't do it on a windy day, you know. Just you've got to pick the right time and work out whether it's going to be easier to do that with a spray can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, good luck you, Peter. Morning Sandra, how can we help you?
Speaker 7: Oh? Good morning? Look, good morning, Simon. Morning Simon. Last month I heard you talking about the nor Glass product for kitchen benchtops, and I am just revamping my kitchen and I bought the nor Glass product, the to pack primer and the Norsane finish code. I've painted many things over the years, but I would like a professional hater, one experienced with this. I did send you a couple of messages, one through your website and then one through your email over the last few weeks, but I haven't received the reply yet.
Speaker 5: Sorry. I don't know. It might have gone into my spam.
Speaker 4: I will check those emails and I will respond to those today for you. Okay, So but look, I'll see if I can find somebody has your emails told me what area you live in?
Speaker 7: Yes, I live in Croydon Park.
Speaker 5: Okay, will I will check those emails today and see.
Speaker 2: I'll get back to you. What Sandra, just on that point, I think she makes and you and I have talked about this off air. I had to be honest with you, I'm a bit hesitant to use two pack only because I don't want to screw up the mixing of it. And you know you normally take the lid off and you know your paints after preparing. Of course, yes, but the two pack is a challenge for I think anyone a lot of di wives. Robert got that wrong? Is that just Sandra?
Speaker 4: Look, I think I think it's really important to just sit down, spend ten minutes and read the instructions because and especially like go onto the nor Glass website and look at the PDFs that they have and they'll give you all the information about mixing. And as long as you're mixing the ratio is right and usually it's like a two parts of one to a one part of the other. And as long as you're measuring, and you can buy measuring cups that actually have the markers on them so you know where to fill to yes, And then when you stir, you stir the product up, you let it sit for ten minutes before you start to use it, and then give it another stir, and that gives that time to react to the product.
Speaker 5: And the most important.
Speaker 4: Thing is wearing respirators and you know, making sure that you.
Speaker 5: Protect yourself that way.
Speaker 4: But look, applying the paint itself is not really any more difficult than you know, painting with a regular you know, water based paint or something. Is it just that time to sit down and mixing and getting it right that way?
Speaker 2: And I think if you've got, say you've got a little area to do and you end up with a leader of paint and you want to think, now, how do I keep half of this? Of course I'm not going to even need half of this because you know some of the some of the products aren't aren't.
Speaker 3: Cheap, No, because they're very good. I hate absolutely.
Speaker 2: Can you do that?
Speaker 3: Use half of it, use half of it and keep half of them?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely you can.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you're just again you're mixing the amount you need with the measuring cup.
Speaker 5: That's right, the measuring cup, so you don't use it.
Speaker 4: And when you put the leads back on, make sure you clean the little grooves out with the lid goes back on so they're not full of paint. So and don't contaminate the two products. Yeah, you know, make sure you just clean and just take your time.
Speaker 2: Is it possible? And we've got to take a break. I'm sorry to occupy this time, but I think everyone would have this problem. Is it possible to pour a can of paint into a roller tray without it going dripping down the side of the can? What's the trick?
Speaker 7: Look?
Speaker 5: Not really.
Speaker 4: I think the quickest way is be quick about tipping it and quick about.
Speaker 5: The return as well. Right, So it's not like.
Speaker 4: You know, if you take your time you think about it, you're tipping you can of paint. If you go back slowly, it's just going to run right down the side. So just be a little bit faster at both right and obviously taking your time at it.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's twelve to eleven. Back in a second. Just a couple of texts before we get back to callers. Mitch tells us the rustolium spray is amazing, but you shouldn't mix it with other brands. So if you put a clear over due lux, is that your experience serving?
Speaker 5: That's it?
Speaker 4: Because look, when you you don't know what the component is that makes up that spray cands, so it might not be compatible with the undercoat you use, and it could fry what I call fry the paint. So if you use an undercoat that's incompatible, and you use something else over the top of it, the paint can all like it fries up.
Speaker 5: And becomes all crinkly. It just means the.
Speaker 4: Thinner that's used in the top coat is reacting with the paint that's underneath. So try to keep with a product that's made by the same company.
Speaker 2: All right, now, rosi'es there roll, Oh Rosie, what's your question for the boy? What song was that? Jon Armor Trading by Rosy called a lunatic? Sorry, what's the question.
Speaker 7: I've got a glass sliding door that's not sliding very well. It's causing like fiction on the of the track, So I'm wondering is there something that could be fixed or would I need to have the door replace?
Speaker 4: So generally it's a quick, quite a simple fix. If you've got somebody that's handy in the house, you literally lift the door up.
Speaker 5: It will come off the track itself. So you get hold of either side of the door.
Speaker 4: Two people is handy, lift the door, pop it off the track and turn it on its side and there will be two wheels, one either side. And it's generally one screw to undo that wheel, and you can go down the hardware store and buy a matching wheel exactly the same and just pop it straight back in place.
Speaker 5: So it's a really.
Speaker 4: Quite simple job to do, so not that difficult. If you go online look at some videos that you know show you how to do it. It's a really really easy job.
Speaker 7: All right, Thank you so much for that, Thank you, Rosie.
Speaker 2: And just so that people don't think I am a leone to tick the song I was referring to.
Speaker 6: Do that.
Speaker 2: See I used to be a jock in the old days.
Speaker 3: Hands good morning, how can we help you?
Speaker 2: Good morning morning.
Speaker 8: I've got a quick I've got two questions. I'll ask mine because I think my mate's can to ask and be calling you. I've got a solo battery that needs relo and be install solar and they don't follow up and won't back you up. So I just need a reference if you can on a solar electrician that can relocated battery.
Speaker 4: Okay, what what area are you in?
Speaker 5: Rose in Rosell?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 4: If you go to my website, which is Simon's House dot com dot are you look at good Day Electric and Solar. So that's all they do, and they're absolutely fantastic they can help you with all of that.
Speaker 2: Good day electric and solar hands. That line is a bit dodgy, my friend, so I hope that answers the question. Thank you for getting in touch. On the text, David says, I've got lemonade type covering on a couple of wile to kitchen cupboards, lifting around the edges, catching on cupboards when opening. Best way to stick down these edges, please.
Speaker 4: Using a contact adhesive and you'll put glue on both surfaces. Allow it to sit for about twenty minutes, and then push them together and it will glue instantly. And that's what they generally use for those edging.
Speaker 2: All right, too easy, okay. You can follow all of Simon's work on his website Simon's House dot com dot you. If you've got a question that occurs when Simon's not here, you can certainly contact him through Simon's House dot com dot AU. Good to see you mate, Good to see you mate, See you next week much will do absolutely your beauty, Simon Stevenson