S1: But look at Sergioc now. I mean, we've got diesel running out in some regional towns like Robinvale in the state's north west. Also, we can get diesel and reasonable Victoria. It's now topping were told $3 a litre. Um should we ration the fuel now? Rationing of course, is designed to reduce overall fuel usage and make people think twice about driving. Thus far, in most places you can still get fuel. You just pay a lot of money for it. But should it be rationed? Because what's happening is, I mean, and this is the flow on effect of having very high oil prices. Viva energy, which makes polypropylene, which is a common form of plastic. Their prices are going up dramatically because the fuel stock, which is oil, has gone up in price. And transport companies have to soon raise their freight rates because they almost all burn diesel and diesel is getting dramatically more expensive and in some cases not actually available. Our next guest is CEO of the Victorian Transport Association, Peter Anderson. Good morning.
S2: Good morning Tom.
S1: Have we seen the flow on effect yet? You know diesel being $2.80 to $3 a litre. Have we seen that translate into higher freight rates and therefore higher costs for goods that are transported?
S2: Huge impost on the transport industry. Fuel is around about 25 to 30% of direct costs of any transport business. And um and the sudden rise up to $1 a litre is absolutely abhorrent for our industry. And and we have to pass it on. We, a lot of companies have a fuel surcharge mechanism and we implore those, those, um, those customers to honour that system because we have to pass the cost on.
S1: I went to the supermarket last night for the weekly shop dinner for two nights. Five days of school lunches, that sort of thing. And what normally costs about $70 because we buy, you know, give or take pretty much the same stuff. Suddenly last night was $90, and I reckon that might be the start of, you know, supermarket shelves bearing higher prices because of the higher oil price.
S2: We've got to be careful about our retail prices, Tom. I mean, you've got to keep in mind that the transport logistics is around about 12 to 13% of the cost of goods sold. And and in that context, if fuel is then only represents 25% of that 12 to 13%. And there again it increases by 50%. What I'm talking about as I as I go through that, it's a small number.
S1: Like maybe 3 or 4 or 5%. Yeah.
S2: And we shouldn't be elevating our pricing by 30 or 40% like we're seeing at the bowser. Yeah. It's not a it's not a direct correlation. So we've got to make to keep that in mind.
S1: Are most of your members still able to get the diesel that they need? You know, the volume, even if it is at a higher price.
S2: Well, there's a difference between uncertainty and supply at the moment. So at the moment the prices are going up because there's a degree of uncertainty about supply, and we're not sure whether we'll be be able to have the fuel in the future. And I think a lot of lot of organisations and businesses are starting to to create some some reserves in their systems, such as as the wheat and up in the mallee. Um, and, and that in itself creates a perception of, of lack of supply only because the fuel industry can only work at one speed. There's only so many trucks to deliver and they only, and they don't drive any faster and there aren't any more. So they're still doing the job that they have to do. But it's just unfortunate that we've got increased demand with people filling up their tanks.
S1: Yeah, I saw a picture of, I think it was a farmer. He had a ute. It was about four days ago and he had a huge tank on the back of the ute. It was sort of semi transparent plastic. And apparently he had 1000l of diesel in there. Now he'd just gone and got it out of the local pump. So he would have paid, you know, close to $3,000 for all of that. But that's what you're saying because people are stockpiling, it's actually increasing the demand for diesel at a time when there is uncertainty about the future.
S2: Correct. And of course, when we start talking about about whether we're going to ration fuel, we're still a fair way away from that. We're a long way away from that. We've got a lot of supply in Australia and those supply chains are working. Um, it's just a matter of how we then control that and manage that. But in the future, yeah, there's lots of mechanisms we can put into place to ensure that we get even and a fair supply to everyone.
S3: Well, what about the fact that.
S1: Our stockpiles have never been particularly high? I had a listener who sent me a graph and it said that this is private, and public supplies, like the Netherlands, keeps more than a year of fuel on hand, possibly at Rotterdam at that giant port. Denmark has almost a year. Finland has about 300 days. And on and on it goes. And there's us with, you know, 34 days or thereabouts. Do we need to rethink this once this crisis has passed?
S2: We have we have what's called an Emergency Liquid Fuel Act, which which deals with this particular issue that you're talking about. Um, it doesn't need revision. It needs revision on a constant basis. I think we should be looking a lot further into the future to ensure that our security of fuel, um, is more stable than what it currently is at the moment. And one incident in the world shouldn't change everything for us.
S1: No, but maybe it should, because we signed a thing years ago saying we pledged to hold 90 days worth of oil and petrol and diesel on hand. Instead we have 30. Alright. Thank you. Peter. Peter Anderson, their CEO of the Victorian Transport Association. And look, it's something we should do. I mean, other countries do it because they just know that the world is an uncertain place. I have no doubt eventually this current crisis will pass and it may be sooner rather than later, but we should use that as an opportunity. We've been warned. You cannot always depend on these extended supply lines. We can't just assume that every time we need a cargo of fuel, it will arrive and also at a price that we can afford 133693 at 9:18.