Speaker 1: On two GB at network stations. This is Afternoons with Michael McClaren.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it underway. It is Thursday. Nice to have you there, beautiful day outside again today June twelve, and hope we find you well where he happened to be one three one eight seven three. The open line number you can of course call. Just get on that open line one three one eight seven three. You can text zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. There's always email to GiB dot com. Click on the feedback icon. It's Mick Mac with you. Do I get one hundred dollars? Do I get that out of Ben's wallet? Michael otherwise with you on Afternoons. If you're listening to Breakfast this morning, I think Ben's gotta throw a nice crisp green note out of his own wallet to the first person who calls me Mick Mac on air, or so I'm told so. Anyway, there's a little incentive to call at some point today. Rex Patrick will join me later this hour, the former South Australia senator, a former sub mariner. I want to put those two expertise together in Rex and speak about what's happening with ORCUS. Many have said this was going to happen, and I suspect people like Malcolm Turnbull and Paul Keating will be feeling quietly smuged today that the Trump administration has decided that they want to review the Orcus arrangements and whether it's in the United States best interest. Look, I think Malcolm Turnbull makes a valid point, and that is with the British reviewing Orcus and the Americans now seemingly open to a quote unquote review, it's a little strange that the only country that isn't reviewing the arrangement is Australia, and I think a review may well be necessary. It is looking as though this may not happen in the way that we thought it would. Time is not on our side. I think it would be a great calamity if it did not happen. But you've got to have a plan B. And the Prime Minister was asked, I think during the election campaign about whether there would be or we need there is the need for a plan B and he said no words, no where we've got Aucust. Well, of course, we have put a lot of faith in two very long standing allies. If one or both of them decide this isn't in their interests, we are in trouble. Now. Let me just say at this point, and I spec Rex Patrick would agree that the one nation hoping more than any other that the United States decides that AUCUST is not in their interest would be China. The Communist Party of China would be very much hoping that nuclear submarine technology is not afforded to the Australian defense industry because they do not like AUCUST. They made that very clear. But there are people here that have said from the start that this was very, very risky. It was always risky, but that it was so risky that we shouldn't have entertained the idea. If I were there, I'd hold my self congratulation for now. This is not yet over. It is still more done deal than undone deal at this stage, and I think smart heads will get into Donald Trump and say, listen, financially, we are the great beneficiary of this arrangement. The Australian has already sent US eight hundred million dollars. They will send more so that we can increase our domestic submarine capability in the United States. Now, part of the arrangement is Okay, we've got to send them a couple of Virginia class submarines. But the fine print says only if we have surplus to send. So Donald, if I was in the Americans, we'll take the money. We'll take the money, because there's nothing in there that binds them to give us the Virginia class submarines the Orcus technology, many of which will be built in Adelaide, some in the United Kingdom. That's a different story. The Virginia class submarines the stop gap between now and when we finally build our own nuclear submarine in you, I don't know. Three fifty five A deals, aren't they. The Virginias are the stop gap, and there is nothing that requires the Americans, as far as I understand it, to deliver Virginia class submarines. It's sort of a gentleman's agreement that if they've got spare, they will, But it doesn't look like they're going to have spare, even though we're giving them an enormous amount of cash to try to make that happen. So look, it's a bit like the free trade agreement between Australia and the United States. If this is in anyone's interest, it's in the Americans interests and they would be crazy to row it back, but you never know. I speak to x Patrick about it now. Adam will be here with screen talk Jim Haynes with Sydney Siders. It's a great Sydney Sider story today and anything else that bubbles up in the news as well. I understand there's a bit of a situation at Stratfield train station as we speak. I'll get some more details on that for you may well be affecting some train services through that particular or through the lines that do go through that part of Sydney. A very significant train station, Stratfield. So I'll give you some details there if they come to light. And more so, stay with us, don't go anywhere. Have you say one three, one eight seven three the number? All right? Quarter past twelve. Look, there is a lot of news around today, obviously, the passing of Brian Wilson, the review into WUCAS, as we were just saying, the monash ivf CEO stepping down, and yet another stuff up there. Not to mention the ongoing situation in Los Angeles or that does seem to be petering out, the war in Gaza, Putin's endless bombardment of Ukraine. It just keeps going. But for the majority of you listening now, the story that will matter most in the here and now concerns the price rises that are coming for a bunch of your regular bills. That's what's going to matter to you. And from insurance to energy, to phone bills and even subscription services, prices are going up everywhere from July the first, and in many cases well above inflation. But it's going to be the energy bill that hurts the most because, unlike your kao's subscription, electricity isn't a discretionary spend and we were promised, we haven't forgotten by the government the prices would be coming down by now. Instead, we've seen the average electricity bill rise by four hundred and ninety five dollars since the twenty twenty two election, and there is more to come now. As The Herald reports today, consumers in New South Wales, South Australia and even parts of Southeast Queensland will have to fork out more from July one, after the Energy Regulator approved an increase to its price cap, or the default market offer, as it's known now. I guess the message will be shop around, because depending where you go and how you use your appliances, you can save more with company A asposed to company B. But I'd be buying a lottery ticket if anyone offered you a discount on the price you've been paying over the previous twelve months. Despite those hollow promises and regularly cited modeling that cheaper bills were on the horizon, fat chance getting a discount. Now most people in this state will be slugged an increase of around eight and a half percent. Around that mark. The eight and a half percent now, I'm told small businesses will be about the same, and obviously many of them will attempt to pass that on to the end consumer one way or another. Now we all await Chris Bowen's explanation for this, but for what it's worth, I had a note from my energy provider lobbed into the inbox, in fact, just last night, warning me of upcoming changes to rates and fixed service fees. Now, in the case of the latter, the daily service to property fees for my bill, they're going up twenty five percent. And I only recently switched to this particular provider because they were cheaper than the mobb I was with. I mean, you can't win, but it won't end with electricity, even though energy is the economy. And when it comes to prices, well, more expensive electricity, naturally everything becomes more expensive up and down the supply chain. But as I said earlier, prices continue to go up everywhere. And so when the official inflation numbers, the CPI data gets released and we're told inflation is now back within the RBA's preferred band of two to three percent, no wonder many of you write to me and ask, well, how do they figure that out? What's that based off? Because in your lived reality, inflation isn't hovering in the two to three percent. Bad now again, according to the Herald, Vodaphone, Optus and Telstra have signaled customers on some plans are about to be paying more. Apparently, most Telstra customers have already absorbed two price rises in just the past twelve months. But mobile internet plans are going to go up again, I'm told. And then we get to insurance, car insurance, home and content insurance, and of course health insurance. Now how half the population can afford to be properly insured across all three these days is it's a mystery to me. Well, in truth, half the population aren't properly insured, stacks are underinsured, and increasing numbers are not insured at all. They simply can't afford it. And there's always the risk of a so called doom loop with insurance, where the more that drop out, the higher the tariff charge to those that remain, forcing more to walk away and so on. Now anyway, according to Canstar, the average cost of a gold hospital insurance policy has increased by an average thirteen point eight percent for singles and just a tad more for families. It's a long way above inflation. And as for comprehensive car insurance, again, the average is up one hundred and twenty two dollars over the past twelve months. Mind you spare a thought for the Victorian motorists. Their bills are up an average two hundred and twenty five dollars now. At the end of the day, this is money that Australian taxpayers have to find out of their monthly budgets, and once it goes to the insurer or the energy provider, it's unavailable to then be spent at the shop or the local cafe. Let alone, gifted to charity. It suppresses the discretionary spend and in turn it puts the brakes on the widest story of economic growth. Now, considering we were all told that the last election was a cost of living election, I wonder how voters are going to react when confronted with all of these numbers. But then again, if they're the same voters who are about to have their hex debts wiped, house deposits and home battery subsidized, and childcare work tests are raised by the government, well perhaps they'll be in a forgiving mood. As for the rest of us, I guess we'll just have to reach even deeper into our pockets and do it the old fashioned way. Yes, speaking of wintery things, by the way, gets set Sydney because Twogb's Winter Wheels starts spinning from Monday. This is great. We're going to turn up the heat with up to forty thousand dollars worth of cash and prizes to be won. We've got to do is listen across the day for your chance to spin the wheel, and you could be warming up your winter with cold, hard cash and prizes. We're spending the wheel in breakfast mornings here and afternoons in Clinton with Sydney now two GB's winter Wheel. It starts spinning from Monday, so don't miss out. Stay listening to Sydney's two GB. That's where it's at. Of course, one three, one, eight, seven, three stacks of texts. I'll get to them in a moment. Let's go to calls first today.
Speaker 3: Joe Gooday, Michael, how are you going? Thank you for taking McCall pleasure just had I just been thinking about this orcus issue or potentially that we may have.
Speaker 4: We may have.
Speaker 3: This idea stems from I've got a joinery shop. We employ about forty blokes. I've been around forty years, and from time to time there's some big joinery projects that come up and they and they vary from highly detailed pieces of furniture to maybe multi production. Now we can't do it all, so we in the past have done joint ventures with other joinery shops and we've shared shared the love, and the builders are happy, the clients are happy, everybody's happy. Something. Why doesn't mister Alban easy have it. Go at mister Trump and say to him, listen, we understand that you might not be able to build all the submarines for yourself and everybody else. Why don't we share it? We have the facility here where we could do that. Now, with some technology sharing, which I think we should be able to do, and some financial help, we could save millions and bring manufacturing of that high technical gear back to Australia.
Speaker 2: I understand, but I'm not sure that the technology. Let me put it this way, I'm no expert, Joan. That's why I'll speak to experts lad on the show about this. I defer to their wisdom. But my understanding is that a nuclear submarine is about the most complicated piece of equipment man has ever built, and so only a few countries have the ability to do it sharing the lovers it were very difficult to do. Even I would assume building that the tube of the submarine and then having the nuclear engine component retrofitted in America or whatever. I don't even know how practical that is. Look, but Joe, you've raised it. Let me ask Rex Patrick who might know the answer. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand. I'm thinking we don't have to do all of it, but we can do part of it. You know, I'm not sure, but it's just that we do and it's very successful in our industry.
Speaker 2: Yep, I appreciate that in in other industries as well. Look, I understand the point, and I thank you for taking the time to call. The truth of the Orcus submarines, not the Virginia Class from America, but the Orcast submarines, is that in some respects your logic is going to apply because we're going to have British technology. I think it's BAE are going to be behind the design of it, and then that's going to be a cookie cutter retrofitted to the Osborne Shipyard in Adelaide and South Australia, and we're going to build them out here. So build a few in the UK, then build them out here and once you get underway, then okay, yeah, you can probably go back and forth with different bits that others can do better than others. But with the Virginia Class subs, I don't know if it's going to be practical, but I don't know. Thank you, Joe Michael, Good afternoon.
Speaker 5: Good afternoon. How are you today.
Speaker 2: I'm well, mate, I hope you are too.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. Look, Glad, I might be a silly person, but I got a question. All the big companies and everybody's and the government's madly pushing AI into everything, and they're just placing workers and replacing with AI and or continue to do so. Now the reason they then they save money. They don't pay wages, they don't pay superannuation, workers comp holidays, sick pay nothing. So therefore the companies are making huge profits. Surely the goodness the cost of goods and services would be falling like a rock instead of increasing first part, second part, with one point two trillion dollars worth of debt, plus we're bringing in millions of semi skilled and unskilled migrants. Where's all the money coming from for the welfare for all of us and them when there's no work here anymore because it's all replaced BII.
Speaker 2: Well, the answer to the last question is twofold. One that's coming from mining royalties and taxes from the mining industry, and the other is it's increasingly coming from those that do work income tax.
Speaker 5: Well, there you go, So it's the price. So they're already getting about forty percent of their revenue from income tax. So the few that will have jobs in the next five or ten years will be paying what double tax and how are they going to pay for all the growing welfare with millions of more people coming in, plus the debt that the country's blowing up going on green windmills and things.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Chris Jorman very impressive yesterday as you would have heard, Michael basically said we're going to go broke trying this and this is something that the voters had the opportunity to consider only a month or so ago, and they denied reality. So you know, that's democracy for you. Thank you for the call, Michael. I appreciate it. I share your concerns and many listeners do. Rod. Good afternoon, Rod.
Speaker 4: Yep, there you are, mate, Good mate. I'm look. I think that you are building sharing would work, except that's not what they're reviewing. They're reviewing whether they can trust us with the technology, with the information that's linked back to them and the Chumps. Well aware, we elected the Vishi government in this country, so why would you build the subs when they end up in the hands of China. That's what their review and mate, to see if they can still bloody trust us and feeding and the way Wong and all them carry on and hating I wouldn't trust you. I wouldn't trust any of them with anything.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's part of the consideration, Rod, and I think the other part, and I'll raise this with Rex shortly, is that our commitment to defense expenditure, much of which would end up going to the United States because we buy their equipment, isn't where the Americans want it. And they have a valid point. I mean not everything Trump says or does is write or valid or I support, but on this global crusade of his to get the Allied countries to spend more of their budgets on defense, he is I think completely within his rights to demand this because the American taxpayers, you know, the people of West Virginia, with hardly any money to their name, but they're paying their taxes as they go about their manual work. They're propping up the American defense budget, which doesn't just cover America's defense, it covers a lot of the Allies defense, the Europeans particularly, but Australia is the same. We freeload largely, we freeload, and Trump saying we hang on, I could repurpose a lot of that money and pay down my debt or build bridges and infrastructure in the United States, or schools or hospitals, or finish the wall or whatever. I could do all of that with the money, but instead I'm putting it into the American military machine so that we can defend ourselves and all of you while all of you guys spend all of your money building bridges and walls and who knows what else and not putting it into your And then you complain about putin, You complain about g well, why don't you cough up some coin? So this, I'm sure is a bit of leverage going on. He knows Anthony Alberanese is due to meet him shortly. This is sort of the softening up period. This is all time deliberately, and no doubt the White House will be hoping that Anthony Albanezi goes there with a couple of check books ready to sign for some Lockheed Martin equipment and some missile equipment and whatever out of the United States, which boosts the percentage of Australian GDP being spent on defense. And then I think, you know, if we said, yeah, all right, we'll get to three percent, we'll do it pretty quickly. I think all of this concern and wobble about ORCUS would be how do we forgotten rather rapidly in the White House. But I might be wrong, but I suspect that's part of what's going on right. Appreciate your call, Wendy. You good afternoon.
Speaker 6: On time, Michael, I wanted to talk about when we're talking about Orcus and submarines, has anybody stopped to think about using drone submarines rather in the orcut path. These drone submarines are being used by Israel and they're pretty pretty deadly. I can't I don't understand why when we're not looking at that not as expensive as nuclear submarates.
Speaker 2: No, they're not. I don't know how well advanced the technology is. I don't know how far forward project you can from a geographic point of view, use these, Wendy. I don't know, but I think drones in the sky and drones under the sea are going to be increasing component of our defense full stop, aren't they?
Speaker 6: Well you would think so. Not to mention the lasers that they're now using in place of the iron dome, that would pretty cheap. I think that would be ideal for Australia up north.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a very good point you raise, Wendy. I thank you for taking the time to call one three one eight seven three keep the text coming. Plenty of those thank you zero for six zero eight seven three eight seven three act you're on the text. This one came through yesterday from Mitch and I didn't get the to get to it, but might resonate with you. He says, I just had some items delivered, and what cheeses me off is that the driver doesn't ring the doorbell, just leaves them right up against the screen door so you can't open the door without shoving it all while trying to open the door. I think they do it on purpose, and they've got a little chuckle to Themselvesie that's Mitch. Now. I don't know if they're that Machiavelian, but we've noticed this at home on the odd occasion we have something delivered because we're both out or whatever, and even when you are at home, they don't ring the doorbell. The guy that does some of the Australia posts, we've got one that he's very good Australia past rings the bell. You know it's there, he says, Hi, And that's fine, but a lot of these other sort of more private couriers, whoever they are, and we don't get stuff delivered often. But on the very rarely do they ring the bell. I mean, she's got a point. They sort of leave it there and move on, And I guess they're time poor. They've got deadlines to meet them. But that difficult to go ding a ling and say, oh, listen, there's something at your door. I don't know, maybe Mitch and Aya just having some bad luck. I suspect it goes on in a few places. And there are a lot of stories now, of course, about people that just sort of roam around in their cars looking out the window for parcels on verandas and patios and whatever. They just pill for them, they nick them. So a little ring on the doorbell wouldn't go astray. Just in case you are home, you can get it inside, so no one's going to permanently borrow what it is that you've paid for twenty five to one, it was pretty clear already a lot of you are concerned about this development with Orcus and the American review. By the way, it's twenty one to one. Good to have you there with us one three one eight seven three. Some with good memories will recall. Indeed, Jacob my EP has very good memories like an elephant. The Prime Minister on April the sixteenth was asked about Orcus and whether we need a plan B, a backup contingency, as some have been arguing we should. Here's his response, mister ALMANEZI, do we need some contingency planning?
Speaker 7: No, because this is in the interests of both Australia and the United States and the United Kingdom as well.
Speaker 8: So no contingency plans.
Speaker 2: All the chips are on August.
Speaker 7: This is in the interests of the US. We have I've been on a US sub there in Wa that's been doctor nuclear powered submarine.
Speaker 9: They are Australian.
Speaker 7: There are Australian mariners working on that submarine. We have people in the United States, in the United Kingdom working on the UCAST project and it has a bipartisan support.
Speaker 10: And what is extraordinary is a.
Speaker 7: Questioning of that does nothing to advance Australia's national interests. The important thing about international relations is that you shouldn't try to score domestic political points.
Speaker 2: Through it, all right, So it is the Prime Minister back on April the sixteenth before the election. No need for back up here, because it's got bipartisan support. That's UCUS, and it's in the interests of both the United States and Australia and obviously Great Britain. Now I would agree with that it's got bipartisan support, certainly publicly a few exceptions, but by by and large politically it does. And as I said earlier, it would be certainly in America's financial interest. I think in our long term security interest. It would be in our interest to get these submarines as well. So it is win win, But there have always been clouds hovering around this particular horizon. Now, someone who's been healthily skeptical, I think I can say that about the whole Orcust arrangement from the start is former sub mariner and former Senator Rex Patrick is actually in Sydney at the moment and is with me on the line. Good to speak again, Rex, Good Mick, Max.
Speaker 10: How are you.
Speaker 2: Now? You get to put your hand in Ben Fordham's wallet and pull one hundred out? So well under you? Rex? Good for you?
Speaker 11: All right?
Speaker 2: You got me off guard their orcus, what's the go here? I mean, is this really the Trump administration questioning whether they want to proceed or is this a bit of brinkmanship, a bit of gamesmanship before the meeting with Anthony Albanize, you trying to get the broader defense spend up.
Speaker 12: Well, you never know how mister Trump is going to play out in terms of his negotiations. We've seen what he's been trying to do on tariff, which is not to approach the United States friends, it's actually to coerce them. So you know that could be on the cards. I think one of the outcomes of this review, or they're too likely outcomes of this review, because we have to go back to the ground. In the United States, we know that their shipyards, their submarine industrial base, is not producing enough submarines. That is, without dispute, they need to be producing two point three submarines per annum in order to be able to deliver US a Virginia class submarine. Last year they are at one point three. They've dropped back to about one point two submarines per annum, so they are not achieving what is required in order to be able to deliver the submarines. So there are two likely outcomes, because that's an honest baseline against which any discussion can work. It's these are not my words. These are the words of the Congressional Research Service and the Government Ordered Office in the United States, who keep a really close eye on these things. So the two outcomes that are likely here is that the United States will put up its hand and say, look, this is not going to work. We need to pull out. Alternatively, they'll put up the hand and say we're not achieving what we need to achieve. You need to pay more money. Australia, please send more money, more billions.
Speaker 2: Okay, if I were Trump and I'm sitting in the White House and I've got the orchest and greevment the deal in front of me, I do anything to make sure it continues, because we all know it seems to I think it's common knowledge now that under the terms of the agreement, Australia is to provide money, and we're talking a lot of money. I think already eight hundred million, if I'm not mistaken, has gone to the American military for the purposes of putting on a third production line for submarines to get that ratio up and all the rest. But there's no obligation on behalf of the Americans to send US Virginia class submarines if they can't meet their domestic demands first. So I mean, wouldn't you just take the money and be quiet.
Speaker 12: It's in US legislation that before any submarines can be transferred to the Royal Australian Navy, the President at the time must a certificate the fact that the provision of those submarines will not undermine US undersea warfare capability, and that the US Submarine Industrial base is in fact building in those submarines, so that will not be able to happen in any foreseeable way, if you believe the Congressional Research Service, and if you believe the Government Audited Office in the United States.
Speaker 2: So so again, if you were Trump, wouldn't you mean someone will tell him all of this, right, And so you're just said, okay, well, they can keep sending the money. We won't send him any submarines. But you know, eventually the nuclear technology will be sent via the British to the Australians. They can build whatever they want down at Osborne in the never and never, and you know, we're financially in front, and good luck to them.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And that's an awful, awful outcome for Australia. We end up spending billions. It is ear marked at this present moment that will send four point seven billion Australian dollars. We've already spent eight hundred have already sent eight hundred million dollars. As you know, we know the data that it was a couple of days before the United States announced a tariff on Australia for our steel. But we've sent that money across and there is no clawback. We are unable to get that money back. So we'll suffer both financially through the lack of delivery, but also from a national security perspective. And this is the problem about the Plan B that you've referred to. There is no plan Plan B is there that we will have no submarines and as a maritime nation, that is extremely worrying. Submarines are highly capable, they are force multipliers that they are absolutely essential to the defense of Australia.
Speaker 2: Okay, one of my listeners earlier said, well, what about drone submarines, I mean, drone anything seems to be cheaper than the original deal. But I'm no expert. You are, but i'd imagine drone submarines rely on GPS. If the Chinese were to bung a war on, the first thing they'd do is knock out a lot of GPS, So I don't know how useful they'd be. But also how far is their forward projection compared to a traditional nuclear powered submarine.
Speaker 12: Well, this is the difficulty. Is drone technology that we see being operated in the air is quite able to patch in video feed that back to a controller that can be on the other side of the globe using satellite systems. The moment you penetrate seawater, all of a sudden, the signal simply dies and so there is no control like a like there is for any airborne drone. The big antenas off Northwest Cape in Australia transmit really low frequency transmissions to underwater submarines and the message rate is really really slow. So it's just not possible to control submarines in the same way that we control drones. So it's sort of There are small drone submarines that are being built which will operate off mother submarines that will be sent off to do particular tasks and to come back, but they won't be in a position to be able to deployed, deploy across the Indian Ocean, or the Pacific Ocean or our northern waters, and I operate autonomously for the weeks that a submarine does.
Speaker 2: Now, all right, I'm still trying to just get my head around this review, what this is actually about, and whether from the White House the retric seems to be We'll have a look as to whether Orcus actually dovetails into the America First platform because there's a sign under Biden the Democrat, the Republican Trump's Now they've got different ideologies. So okay, but I'm almost coming to the conclusion that this is just a shakedown before Anthony Alberonezi arrives.
Speaker 12: Well, it could well be, because we know how Donald Trump plays this game. But Australia needs to look at this through a very cold lens, understanding what the situation is in the United States.
Speaker 2: This is actually an.
Speaker 12: Opportunity for us to actually baseline the program itself, to properly debate this and to work out what is in the best interests of Australia. The ORCHEST program is a bankrupting three hundred and sixty eight billion dollar program that is sapping money from a whole bunch of other capability that the Australian Defense Force requires. It has a sovereign risks in terms of its ability for us to be able to use these submarines independently, and the national security risk here is that if they are not delivered, we are left without submarines.
Speaker 2: Mind. I guess that's the risk all the time when we look at big purchases, right, I mean, okay, we could have done a deal with the French with Turnbull, but I mean would they have could they have delivered on time? I guess because we don't do a lot of this ourselves, there is always a sovereign is concerned. Granted, this is the big Daddy, but UCUS is also more than just the submarines, and I think people forget that it's potentially a three pillar agreement.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it does have other elements to ORCUS, and Pillar one is in fact the submarine element of it, but in my view it's the most important element. We can probably stick with things like Aucus Pillar two, which involve a bunch of high technology cooperation, but in the end we've got to be able to have a submarine capability Australia announced in two thousand and nine that we were going to get new submarines to replace the Colins class submarines. It is almost two decades later and we do not have a contract in place, and we have spent over six billion dollars not getting a single boat to put in the water. The Australian the Australian public's confidence in our Defense Department's ability to steward this in a proper direction to make the right choices, I think is quite undermined by all of the conduct to date. We really this is an opportunity for us this review because we can look at it from our own perspective as they are looking at it from their perspective.
Speaker 2: Just very very quickly, though, let's say we decided this is all too much, We're out, and that would be I think very problematic for the relationships with America and the White House at the moment, which would have its own cost. But where do we go then, I mean, we still don't have submarines.
Speaker 12: Well, Australia could get into contract relatively quickly for an off the shelf air independent propulsion submarine capability from either Korea, Germany, Spain or France. I'm talking about a capability where we don't tamper highly capable boats, and we could be building them in South Australia in the next twelve months. Again if we didn't tamper, and we're now at that stage where that's the sort of thing we would have to do. But we could buy twenty of these submarines for about thirty billion dollars and that gives US three hundred and thirty eight billion dollars in change two basically buy other capability that our defense force desperately needs.
Speaker 2: That is certainly a mouthful of food for thought. Rex, Thank you. I appreciate your time and your expertise.
Speaker 12: Good on now.
Speaker 2: Thank you well the best. Rex Patrick, former senator, former sub mariner. Certainly food for thought. It's nine minutes to one read the drone subs. A lot of people getting in touch with the ghost Shark. I'll have a good look at that. I have heard of that. I'm just not sure if it's total capabilities, but I've been sending a lot of links. Thanking you for that. Breaking news coming through in the world of rugby league. This is breaking news. Mitchell Moses is out of origin too. He's injured his left car for training today. So the performance manager confirmed the news at the team's hotel in Lua. This is just coming through. So Mitchell Moses is out. Matt Burton's the eighteenth man and five eighth option. Maybe Jerome Leway I'm seeing here, let's see, so Mitch Moses is out. Now. Trouble on the roads. There's a two truck crash. This is on the M seven between Woodstock Avenue and Richmond Road. I'm told the M seven has closed northbound. This is just coming through a two truck crash on the M seven motorway between Woodstock Avenue and Richmond Road. The M seven closed northbound. There are diversions at Woodstock Avenue, Rudy Hill Road north and then back onto the M seven. Just to repeat, the M seven closed northbound from Rudy Hill to Oakhurst due to that two truck crash between Woodstock Avenue and Richmond Road. Northbound traffic being diverted off the wood Stock Avenue rejoining the M seven at the Richmond Road on ramp.
Speaker 1: Now onto GB and Network stations.
Speaker 10: Back to afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think of it joining us just before the news obviously giving you the details about what's happening on them seven with that two truck crash. But on the trains there is some issues as well. On the railways today, passengers are being advised to allow some extra travel time on the T one Western and North Shore lines. On the T nine Northern Line, that's due to an incident requiring emergency services at Strathfield. Trains may stop on platforms or between stations for longer than normal and may also change at short notice. Okay, so there is also the potential for delays on the T too Leppington and in a West line, the T three Liverpool and in the West Line, and the Central Coast and Newcastle and Blue Mountains lines as well. I mean, I think they all run through Strathfield. It's a big term, a big, a big thoroughfare there. So passengers should listen to announcements and check information displays for service updates because of what's happening there at Strathfield. News just coming through out of the United States that a mob called the Pown They're a US based company that are involved in the battery game. They also happen to be the main supply to Australia's most powerful big battery. I think that's the Waratar battery. Well, they've filed for Chapter eleven bankruptcy in New Jersey, thro a New Economy, saying that they've reported more than three hundred million US in debt. It's better part of half a half a billion dollars. A bankruptcy petition filed on Tuesday, US Time said that the company had between one thousand and five thousand creditors, but also liabilities estimated at between one hundred and five hundred million US. The Colorado based company last month did warn local authorities that it may have to completely shut down the business and lay off its employees by the end of July if its financial situation did not improve. As I said, there's an Australian connection here. I believe they supply a number of batteries, but the Waratar battery I think is the big one. And although the battery there has already been installed, as it says here, it's unclear how Power's bankruptcy declaration will affect integration and maintenance going forward. So yes, it is possible. Even with all the government money and everything being thrown at renewable energies, it is still possible. To go bankrupt if you don't play it right. One three one eight seven three Darren I was speaking about deliveries earlier. Yours ended up in a rather difficult position.
Speaker 5: That tried.
Speaker 11: Michael. I ordered a lovely expensive pair of headphones to be delivered, and a contractor subjected out or got a delivery person to deliver it. Anyway, what happened was await of weeks and I said to the I rang them up and they said, look, it was delivered. We've contacted the delivery, but he left it in your letter box. I said, well, I've got to drive by one hundred and eighty meters long, and the leader box is a sustained letter box. And he said, if he could fit that parcel in my letter box, I could fit a thousand golf balls in the petrol tag mate. I said, there's no way he could have left it in the letter box. So I went back and forward, I took photos, got a long story short. After about three months they decided they'd replace the headphone, so that was good. Then my regular delivery guy came back about three weeks later with after his holidays, and he was telling me by telling him about it. He said made check your roof. He said, why, he said they put it. They put a bake off about a month ago because people were fighting stuff on their roofs. And I got the ladder and here's my headphone's been sitting on the roof.
Speaker 5: He threw them up on the roof.
Speaker 2: Pop doing the deliveries.
Speaker 11: But they're supposed to take a photo when they deliver it to say where they show the you know where they they.
Speaker 13: Delivered in a safe spot.
Speaker 11: But he didn't have any photos.
Speaker 13: And I went up on the roof and his maye, here's a box sort of it was still in a plastic sitting on the roof. And apparently I wasn't the first one.
Speaker 2: Well, they were safe because no robber would have thought about climbing up on a ladder to steal your parcel.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I was looking around for a great big blackboot or someone with a.
Speaker 2: That's right, very good. Well, next time I get something delivered, I might I might sort of invite them to throw it on the roof. At least that way it'll be safe. Just keep I always do. Got to clean those guns out. Thanks Darren, great story, all the best mate appreciated. One three one eight seven three. Yes, the deliveries that have gone wrong. Now, I've got to say, I love this story. I love this sort of thing. It's the wanna be archaeologist in me. I think that gets all excited thinking that there's still wonderful things to be discovered and recovered. I'm referring here to the Colombian government announcing, I think overnight, an expedition to remove items of so called incalculable value from the wreck of the legendary San Jose Gallion. Now that one sank back in seventeen eight, but it was a particularly important vessel because it was laden with gold and silver and emeralds, and they were headed back to Spain. Didn't get there because the British decided to put a couple of cannon balls in the side of it hit the munition's area of the boat, and up she went, and then down she went. Well, the Culture Minister of Columbia said that seven years after the discovery of the wreck, and that was off Columbia's coast, an underwater robot would now be sent to recover some of the bounty. The bounty Bindo was estimated to be worth billions of dollars. The ABC reporting that the robot will work at a depth of about six hundred meters and it's going to remove items such as ceramics, pieces of wood, and shells without modifying or damaging the wreck. Well, I mean that's all exciting, but all eyes are going to obviously be on the glittery stuff, chests full of emeralds. I mean, that's the thing people want to see. You you can hold your ceramics. We want to see the jewels. But it's thought that after three centuries underwater, most of the items on board will have undergone some sort of physical or chemical change and they could will disintegrate when pulled out of the water. So they've got to do this very carefully. There's experts involved. But the precise location of the expedition is going to be kept secret because there are obviously bounty hunters treasure hunters that would want to get there. So the government knows where it is and they're going in. Now the fight will now be should anything of value be recovered, who owns it? Okay, So the tug of war has begun according to this article in the ABC as to who gets custody of the bounty. Now, Spain quick out of the block said, oh, we should get it because it was a board of Spanish ship. Bolivia's Karacara nation said that they should get the treasures because the Spanish forced the community way back when to mine the precious metals. They're sort of indentured labor. Columbia's government wants to use the country's own resources to recover the wreck and then to make sure that they then get it. So you can see. You know, it's a three way fight at the moment. Others in there for their take. It could be worth a lot of money. So let's watch this space. But the history is absolutely fascinating. We might speak to someone tomorrow if we get the chance. The San Jose Gallion was owned by the Spanish crown when it was sunk by the British navy that was near Cartagena in seventeen eight, and only a handful of the six hundred crew survived. The ship had been heading back from what was known as the New World to the court at King Philip the fifth of Spain, and as I said, it was laden with the treasures, particularly those chests of emeralds. There was said to be something like two hundred ton of gold coins. God pay your power bill for six months at least with that. So the fighters on to first recover things safely and then to get custody of them. I suspect, like with most things, when there's a custody battle, the people that actually get the real loot at the end will be the lawyers. It's a quarter past one. Well, look good to have you there with us. Last year I read a fascion book. It's called The Secret History of Flight one for nine. Now. I'll tell you a little more about this flight in a moment. But the story was an interesting one, and it honestly could have been a fiction piece if it wasn't actually telling the very real story of nearly four hundred passengers on board b A one four nine. Now. The flight in question departed from Heathrow Airport. It was destined for Kuala Lumpa, never made it, and it stopped to refuel, as you did back in the early nineties in Q eight. Now. That was very unfortunate timing because it was just as a rak had launched that full scale invasion of Q eight. Now. The landing led to almost four hundred passengers and crew who were simply flying to Malaysia being taken hostage. Now, look, i'd sort of let the story sit in the back of my mind for a while. I read that, I said, I got the book last year and I read it and I couldn't really put it down. It was a fascinating well written But by chance the story reappeared in the newspaper I think it was the Sydney Morning Herald late last week because there's a case in court about this very incident right now over in the UK, with the airline, British Airways and the UK Government fighting a High Court lawsuit brought by passengers and crew on board. Now in total, there's more than one hundred claimants, including the estates of several deceased individuals listed on the court filing accusing the airline of acting quote unquote in concert with the UK government to deliver spies to what was a war zone. And they're saying we just as paying passengers were collateral. Now a coincidence that's pretty relevant to me actually in this, I guess, is why in some ways I was hooked on the story from the start. Is this whole flight BA one four nine landed in Q eight on the day that was actually my birthday, August second, nineteen ninety. I was turning five and all these poor people were about to have their lives turned upside down. Now a journalist got whiff of the story early in nineteen Well, when I say early, early after the events of August nineteen ninety, and it never left his conscious. Now his name is Stephen Davis, and after years of research, hundreds of interviews people all over the world, he's put together the book The Secret History of Flight one four nine. And as it says on the cover of the book, well he claims it's the most shocking government cover up of the last thirty years. I'm pleased to say, he joins me on the line. Stephen, it's wonderful to speak with you, and thank you for your time.
Speaker 14: Thank you for having me. Michael, You've already made me feel slightly old because when you were five, I was a journalist on the Independent on side.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you were there on the desk of the Independent back then you got whiff of this story. So we're back in very early August nineteen ninety. This aeroplane BA one for nine is landed in Q eight. The Iraq War is on the Iraqis are rolling the tanks at the airport in Q eight. They've taken the whole show over, and you think there might be a little bit more to this story than meets the eye.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got a.
Speaker 14: Call from a contact who was familiar with the operations of the intelligence services and the plane had landed and the people had been captured by the Iraqis. But the spin being put out by the UK government was, you know, don't worry too much, it's just sort of an extended holiday for these people. There they were in luxury hotels, they're sipping cocktails by the pool and the sunshine, which ironically enough, was true for about three days because the Iraqis were shocked to have this plane delivered into their hands and didn't know what to what to do about it. The British the government's spin was, yeah, it's just all okay, and the plane landed before the invasion started, and my contacts, you've got to start looking into this. What they're saying about this plane isn't true. And that was the start of an epoch three decade plus long investigation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, epic. Indeed, it's still ongoing. And as we were saying, actually before we started speaking on a documentary debut on Sky UK last night about all of this. So others have picked up the story, leveraging off a lot of your research and their own research. I think we're now starting to get a bit of a sense of what happened. Now, let's go back to those before the plane even lands in Kwait, because this is where potentially the real crux of the story begins. So these the whole bunch of passengers, they think they're flying to more than their plan is. They're going to fly to Malaysia. They're taking BA. We know things are brewing in the Middle East, but BA. The flighters on the tarmac, they're sort of ready to take off, and then all of a sudden, a whole bunch of fit looking guys turn up and are seated on the plane. And this is the start of the story, isn't it.
Speaker 14: Yes. The context is that as people got to the airport that morning, the BBC was already reporting that Iraqi troops had gathered on the border of Kuwait. Sadam had been threatening to invade for months. So the passengers are sitting there, there's a delay, and this group gets on board and they walked past. They were seen by about half the people on the plane. Ironically, and up Ba still denies that a group got on board, even though so many people saw them. And as they walked past, a few people looked at them and thought, hmm, this.
Speaker 2: Is a way.
Speaker 14: They looked like soldiers to me. And so I set out to find out who those people were, and it turns out they were, and I've interviewed some of them, and I've interviewed the mission planner. It turns out they were part of a sort of to put it in populace terms of black ops group. It's known in the business as the Increment. It's a deniable group who work for British intelligence who they use on missions that you know, they don't want you to know about. And that plane should never have flow it, It should never have landed. It was the only plane Michael to land that night. In fact, a Kuwaiti Airlines plane which was due to land at about the same time, got an urgent message shaing divert to Bahrain Airport closed emergency. And yet there's BA one four nine flying in landing and the tanks had already surrounded the airport Iraqi tanks.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the theory. Therefore, and this is your theory in the book. The plane landed for a reason, and the reason was that the British government wanted to offload these fit looking fellows that had got on the flight rather late.
Speaker 14: Yes, their job was to the British government wanted to get a team and to keep an eye on the movements of Iraqi troops. Because the Great Fear was taking you back to that era, Michael, that if Saddam Hussein successfully invaded Kuwait and then went on to invade Saudi Arabia, Northern Saudi Arabia, this dictator would control forty percent of the world's oil supply. So this team, yeah oil, absolutely inevitably with the Middle East oil. This team were to keep an eye on the movement of the Saddam's troops to report back if he looked like invading. That was their job, and they they planned the mission several days in advance. Indeed, one of my big discoveries in the investigation, I got some CIA files and the CIA had issued a formal warning of attack about seven days beforehand. So it was absolutely outrageous that these people were delivered into the hands of Sada Hussein and then of course, even worse for them was the British government commissioned this report after they all got back, was called Operation sand Castle, and it documented hundreds of war crimes committed against them and Allied citizens or Australians on the plane, by the way, were talking raps, mock executions, starvation, psychological torture. No sooner had this report been commissioned, that was in nineteen ninety one, than that was suppressed as well. So not only were these people landed in a war zone, they were denied even the public knowledge of the terrible things that happened to them.
Speaker 2: And some of their lives have been, for better or worse ruined. I think the terminology one should use. And you've spoken to them and the book it's all outlined and whatnot. But over the years the British governant have had different positions on what had happened and what they knew, and that position has changed with time, hasn't it.
Speaker 14: Yes, it's a clever use of language. For instance, a couple of years after the event, John Major made a statement he was Prime Minister then saying there were no serving British military personnel on the plane, the keyword being serving they've twisted and turned, and they've given various variations of that statement. But I can tell you something remarkable in the defense that they just filed to this court case. The UK government lawyers, in a little note by the way, on the bottom of one of the pages, says, oh, we cannot rule out that there were military or military intelligence people on the plane by coincidence. So three decades after Major's statement, they've essentially reversed it. The factor is these INK people are not formally special forces or intelligence there. You know, they're a deniable group.
Speaker 2: Okay. Now, as for British Airways itself, they had an office in Bahrain. I think at the time small or that it might have been. I guess this is a two pronged story. On the one hand, you've got the British government. On the other hand, you've got British Airways and they've been peppered with legal cases over the years. What's their take been on this? Has that changed over time as well?
Speaker 14: No, British always deny all responsibility. They've been allowed to get away with various statements in the media which are simply untrue. Most recently they said they had succeeded in legal action in France and in Texas. In fact, the French passengers sued they won the case against BA. They've got a lot of money, so did the passengers in Texas. BA as I said, deny that this group got on the plane even though their own cabin services direct to Clive Irthy in a formal statement and in the documentary state that's what happened. But the crucial thing is also that late night meeting, so ba's manager went off to the British embassy to get some advice on this potential invasion, and he spoke to a man called Tony Pace, who had many titles but actually was the MI six station chief in Kuwait. Tony appears in my book and in the documentary, and Tony Pace very carefully said, if you've got a plane coming through it this particular time, that is the time one four nine was due to land, it would not be advisable to fly that plane. BA had been saying for three decades. They were told it was safe to fly, and the government, in a statement a few years ago, finally confirmed what Pace said was true. So you know, this entire story has been surrounded by the most sort of blatant deception. I've been in the VESCA to reporter for a long time, done a lot of different investigations, and seldom have I seen such sustained lying.
Speaker 2: Really Okay, the plane itself, the actual physical BA Jet was the Coniston Water and some people might remember it because there was a rather iconic image at the end of the war in nineteen ninety one where just the tail of it was left. The rest of it was sort of a smoldering, blown up heap on the tarmac of Q eight. And as you say in the book, the Akis were well regarded for basically pilfering anything they could get their hands on as they retreated. Here was the opportunity to take one hell of a bounty prize. They could have had a BA jet and flown it back to Bagdad, but instead we're told they just blew it up on the tarmac on the way out as sort of a I don't know, two fingered salute to the Allies or something. Is that the story or was there something more to it? Again?
Speaker 14: Oh, there's much more to it. So I always thought that story was very strange, simply because, as you said, the Iraqis took everything when they left. They you know, they took tats and light bulbs and chairs and deaths and everything they could lay the hands on. Why leave this prize on the ground. It turns out I know from an absolutely impeachable source that the plane wasn't blown up by their arkies. It was actually blown up, as it were, by our side, by the US Air Force. Now bear in mind, did an interesting thing about the act of it being destroyed. That meant that British Airways got a huge insurance payout nineteen ninety money seven pounds, So they got a huge insurance payout while fighting through the courts for years to deny the passengers and crew compensation. And they're still fighting through the courts to deny that.
Speaker 2: I guess at the end of this though your story, and no doubt this will come through in this documentary on Sky in the UK will see it here eventually New Zealand etc. When it comes. But the story is really of all the individuals, the innocent people that were simply thinking they were booking a flight on a BA aeroplane to get to Malaysia. They didn't get there, and as we said, many of their lives were ruined. A number of these people were young children who were mentally scarred by the events that took place subsequent to the Iraqis taking control of that aircraft.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Jennifer Chapel was twelve years old at the time of the flight, celebrated, if that's the word, her thirteenth birthday while in captivity. Her life has been destroyed, her sense of trust, She's never been able to hold down a proper job. She sadly tried to kill herself several times. I spoke to Jennifer quite recently and she's still in counseling. So, you know, that kind of stuff makes me angry because I said they were denied even the publication of the report about the terrible things that happened to them. You know, lives were ruined, and because of the government spin. By the way, Michael, when they got back after four months in captivity, people were saying, oh, yeah, you had a bit of a holiday, didn't you. But you're okay, you're right now, You're alive. Just imagine, just imagine having people say that to you when you've actually really really struggled. And there were so many stories like that. I've sat in living rooms where people have remembered what happened to them decades later, and they've started to shake, they've started to cry because they're still suffering from PTSD.
Speaker 2: It is a fascinating story and by the sound of things, although it all started to take place on August two, nineteen ninety, here we are well into twenty twenty five. There are still many chapters yet to play out. Thank you for your time, Steven, I appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Michael Stephen Davis, as I said, he's the author of the secret History of Flight one four nine and a story indeed. Now, legal action being brought by former passengers and staff on board BA flight one four nine against the UK Governor Brush Airways was announced last year. A date for trial, though has not been set. Passengers and crew were suing the UK govern and the airline for damages over their injuries, both physical and psychiatric, as well as special damages for their consequential losses and aggravated and punitive images due to the alleged wrong doing. Now, while files from the British government released in November twenty twenty one do show that the UK Ambassador to Quate had warned the UK government of the Iraqi invasion. The British government denies that it knowingly put passengers at risk by using the flight for military purposes. British Airways denies any wrongdoing over the incident. Well from a story in nineteen ninety to the present. Let's get to the newsroom, Katie Fuller, Good afternoon.
Speaker 15: Good afternoon. Michael accused Marshroom killer Aaron Patterson has finished her cross examination, denying allegations she swapped simcards while she was given time to call a lawyer during a police search. Three people are in custody arrested over a public place shooting and car fire in Sydney's West. Some analysts believe the White House may be preparing to reduce its commitments or walk away from the orcas packed altogether after the US announced it would review the nuclear submarine deal and Australian women are bearing the brunt of the cost of living crisis. A survey suggests women are twenty one percent less confident than men when it comes to preparing for retirement. In sports, Jerome Louis or Matt Burton are expected to take over at five eighth from the injured Mitchell Moses for the Blues. In State of origin TiO Moses has been ruled out with a calf injury. Michael More news in about twenty five minutes on afternoons.
Speaker 1: Oh weather update, We'll be here to help in unexpected weather.
Speaker 10: Nurmain Insurance a help company.
Speaker 2: Okay, Sydney a shower or two developing today, top of seventeen in the city, fifteen for Terry Hills, sixteen to Paramatta, seventeen for Campbelltown, Bondi, Richmond and Penrith. Tomorrow sixteen the top shower or two expected. They say maybe six mil. Another three mil potentially on Saturday, most likely in the morning and the afternoon. However, a top of seventeen degrees now canbra excuse me thirteen the top today morning frost and partly cloudy conditions. Tugrenong's the same, somewhere between minus one and thirteen depending on the time. Tomorrow morning frost and a partly cloudy day. Similar story on Saturday, top of probably about fourteen. Morning frost and partly cloudy conditions in the Capitol Lithgo gooday through two Olt eleven the max today for you, morning frost, partly cloudy, just nine for Orange Mude. You'll get to thirteen, Bathist twelve, Cotomber ten spring Wood will get to about fifteen tomorrow somewhere between zero and eleven in Lithgo partly cloudy after a bit of morning frost, and then a partly cloudy Saturday, a top of twelve one three, one, eight seven three will take a break when we come back, Anna with the world of entertainment.
Speaker 10: Now one afternoons Squen Torch.
Speaker 2: Well, after the world of screens we go, and who better to occupy that space than the wonderful and a core day and a good afternoon noon Michael the small screen first, in the truest sense of the word, your midday movie. Now, you've got two I.
Speaker 16: Do because there were two choices that I just couldn't tear my eyes away from, and they were absolutely horrific. So I had to just bring everyone into the experience that I had. So first up, we have Dying to Win, which aired on nine Go yesterday, but it is available on nine now, so don't fret. You can still watch this one. Limber up because Dying to Win. Jesse is a gold medal winning gymnast. She's coming to terms with a tragic accident that killed her friend and fellow competitor. Her mum is this classic overbearing, will threaten to kill anyone who crosses her daughter kind of parent, which makes you think maybe she knocked off this teammate. But when her mother and stepdad are found murdered at home, Jesse finds herself tangled up in a messy web of lies. It was so bad. This web of lies is not very tangled, and it's not a very good web. I've got to worry about the spider that's woven it together. And no disrespect for the lead actress, but I honestly think a plank of wood could have done a better job in the lead there. But as I said, look, if you don't have anything better to do than with an hour and twenty five minutes of your time, it is available on nine now. But the other one is quite an outstanding midday movie. It's currently on seven right now, But again I have checked it is on seven plus, so you do not have to run to your TV too quickly. But to give you a setup, this is called a sister's grudge. Lindsey is the perfect daughter and her mother dies in mysterious circumstances and at her mum's funeral. She gets the shock of her life when she learns that she has a half sister, and very quickly, this perfect life of hers starts to unravel and she begins to suspect maybe her sister is to blame. I do think the title of the film does kind of give it away for you there. But I had a few thoughts. Three main thoughts really while I was watching this. First, was this written by robots? Second was have the actors ever seen a movie before? Scratch that has anyone involved ever seen a movie in their lives? And Three, I hope seven didn't pay a single cent to get the rights for this.
Speaker 2: Well, as a loyal employee of nine, I hope they paid overs for it.
Speaker 16: That's true. That's true. One, I don't understand who's paying who to put this movie on air right now. I was absolutely shocked. The other thing I was shocked about this week, the Wedding Singer has somehow become a midday movie. I was absolutely outraged. I don't understand. I thought midday movies were meant to be rogue classics from the fifties, and these really bad, practically homemade movies from circa twenty twenty two to twenty twenty three. I don't understand how an eighties classic like The Wedding Singer could be a midday movie.
Speaker 2: Dear, dear, Okay, Well, stressful times people got the radio one now probably thinking well, that's the reason why I gave up the idiot box during the day. Let's go to the real thing. Materialists pluy.
Speaker 16: Yes, this is an actual cinematic masterpiece. Maybe not quite. I wouldn't maybe take it that far, but it is a very good film. So Materialist stars at Dakota Johnson as Lucy. She's a thirty something living in New York making a living as a professional matchmaker. She's single when we meet her, but she soon meets this charming guy who ticks all the supposed boxes. He's ultra rich, tall, handsome, great personality, also has a penthouse in New York. You know, can't go past that. But when Lucy also runs into her broke, struggling actor ex boyfriend, old feelings are reignited. Who will she choose? Does she follow her heart or her head? There is much much, much more to the film than that. That is a very simple kind of overview of it. It also does, you know, expertly navigate the modern dating world and it's serious pitfalls. But look, we've also got alongside Dakota Johnson, Pedro Pascalaman of the Moment, and Chris Evans. I love a good romance. Romance. This was a great romance.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to put it out there not having seen it. But if I had to put the house on it, she follows the heart.
Speaker 16: Oh look, I'm not not gonna spoil anything. I'm not gonna spoil it.
Speaker 2: Okay, How to Train your Dragon?
Speaker 16: Yes, lots of questions that will be answered in this film. If you are a Viking living on the Isle of Burke. So if you've been living under a rock for the past fifteen years, you might have missed the animated masterpiece that came out in twenty ten. That is How to Train your Dragon. Strap in for a wild ride, Because if you haven't seen it, this is the live action remake of that original film.
Speaker 2: It is arab.
Speaker 16: Absolutely of course, only real dragons in a live action remake. Definitely not CGI. But to give you a quick rundown, Hiccup is a kid. He's the Viking. He's the kid of Viking King Stoic. The vast Hiccup doesn't have a lot, he's not really living up to his dad's expectations, but that all changes when he finds and befriends Toothless, who is a knight fury dragon and you know they're feared on the Isle of Burke. But Hiccup and Toothless set out to challenge those perceptions of dragons and also fight together against a pretty bad threat to Burke. I highly recommend this movie. It is stunning. It is a really worthy live action remake of what is really an animation classic. Gerard Butler has chucked on about forty kilo's worth of Viking gear to reply reprise his role as Stoic, but it's also a really great young cast in the movie as well. Lots of family fun, fun for adults, fun for everyone.
Speaker 2: By the way, before we go and that sounds nice, Mitch on the Tech says, thanks for the tip and a ree stick with Owen Wilson. I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 11: It is.
Speaker 16: It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: That's what he says. It's really enjoying effect.
Speaker 16: If you love golf like my dad, you'll be right on.
Speaker 2: Deep cover. This is on Prime Video.
Speaker 16: Yes, this one is out today and it is just one of those silly streaming romps. So it follows three improv actors who take on the role of a lifetime. They're hired by the police to do sting operations and they have to infiltrate the London criminal underworld one yes and at a time, because that, of course is the rule of improv. You always have to say yes. And so we've got Bryce Dallis, Howard, Orlando Bloom, Nick Muhammad from ted Lasso fame. They're our trio of actors, and we also have Sean Been as the policeman in charge of this slightly bumbling trio. It's a really, really fun one. Orlando Bloom is surprisingly funny. I didn't look he's.
Speaker 2: Not normally stand up comedy sort of stuff.
Speaker 16: He's not. He's not usually funny, and you know, we kind of know him as legalis and you know, those kind of more serious, gritty kind of roles. But he is surprisingly funny in this and it's a great movie to watch on the couch. And the good news is it is on Prime video today.
Speaker 2: I've got another one where they get back together. Here mix tape on binge.
Speaker 16: Just giving out all the spoilers there, but yes, we've got a new Aussie original today. It was also co made with Screen Ireland. So the series hops between nineteen eighty nine and present day. In nineteen eighty nine, we're in Sheffield, England. We meet teenagers Daniel and Allison. They're young and in love. But cut to present day where we reunite with the pair, but they're living very different, very separate lives. But over the course of this four episode mini series we learn how their paths kind of deviated, but also how they are brought back together through their shared music memories. Hence obviously the title mix tape. Theresa Pamer in the lead of the series along at Jim Sturgis. It's a really lovely series, a great drama, lots of romance and it has a banging soundtrack, as it should if it's called mixtapes. That's on Binge today.
Speaker 2: And this one would be good. I think everyone will know the story because it was in the news not that long ago. Titan the Ocean Gate submersible disaster. Netflix has this, yes.
Speaker 16: And this is streaming now. There are two things that I'm endlessly fascinated about, and I go on really big, deep Internet dives on it. The Titanic and this Titan subdisaster. I cannot get my mind out of it. I'm just obsessed. But this is obviously the Titan sub disaster is the subject of this new documentary. It's fascinating but also harrowing when they kind of take us into how on earth this submersible disaster happened two years ago now pretty much exactly to the day. So the doco takes us through the near decade of bad decisions and lies and mistakes that led up to the moment that the implosion happened, and as well, you know that subsequent desperate search and the investigation that followed. As I said, it's scary, it's harrowing it but also infuriating, and we painted a pretty clear picture through the use of the ocean Gate company footage, whistleblowers, former employees, data investigators. It's all pretty comprehensive. I mean, I, like you said, we all remember when it happened. I was losing I would waking up in the middle of the night to see if there were updates when we thought maybe they were still alive. But you know, it's it still leaves us with a few questions who is responsible for all of this? It's a really really interesting watch. So, like I said, that's on Netflix now.
Speaker 2: Mind you, that result hasn't stopped others trying to do the same, right, So the quest lives on. That's human nature.
Speaker 16: I suppose for you, wasn't it The ocean is terrifying? Why would you go down deep into it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sort of with you on that. Mind you, if fathers are willing to do it, they can discover in.
Speaker 16: Robot down there's a we're getting come up with that technology.
Speaker 2: I know we're getting there, aren't we. Good on you, Anna, thank you, appreciate you. While you've been talking, I've just had my right eye glancing over to that Channel seven.
Speaker 16: Program you are in for a treat.
Speaker 2: I get to read the subtitles and even better, could be ai you could be right.
Speaker 16: I really think that that's how they're doing it. Chatty GPT is getting too smart.
Speaker 2: They got their money's worth, all right. God on you to thank you, enjoy your weekend. Thank you, and a cor day there with screen talk tend to okay For those of you who are going to be taking the train home this afternoon. Just an update here read what was happening at Strathfield. I'm being told that train services are returning to normal following an incident requiring emergency services at Stratfield earlier today. There had been delays to services on some lines. However those delays have mostly eased. I'm told passengers should continue to listen to announcements and check information displays for the latest service updates. Of course, you've always got the websites and the apps Transport NSW dot info, Transport NSW dot info or you can download that Transport app. But it does look as though things are returning to normal slowly after that incident earlier at Strathfield one three one eight seven three five and a half minutes to two Frank, what was your take on orcas?
Speaker 17: Look, we send over a team of engineers and everyone and help them out to build the subs, because we're going to need them to maintain them. So that would also help our military capability as well, instead of just canceling the whole thing. I mean, we're going to need experts, so why don't we send over our top military people in nuclear and also to help build the subs. We've got very good tradesmen.
Speaker 2: One of those. Just to add to one of those points. We have no top military people in nuclear I mean, that's part of the issue here, right, so we had none, but there is already an exchange of personnel going on. There are sub mariners being trained in the United States, and some of that training has continued out here. I have no doubt that some of the top brass have been back and forth a few times in initial discussions about what's going to happen here. Perhaps some engineers and technical people as well from Osborne in adelaide about where this could all end up and what's required. That would already be happening. But Weather sending a bevy of people over to the United States on the third production liner, so we'll get cracking. Whether that would help, I don't know, but if it would, we should consider it. I thank you for the call. We had the two o'clock news just around the corner. Jim Haynes will be in the building straight after that with Sydney's Siders. A wonderful Sydney Siders story today for you. With they all are, but this is particularly one of the one and a whole lot more so stay with us. News is up in just a.
Speaker 1: Moment now onto GB and Network stations. Back to afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: Good. Nice to have you there with us. Beautiful Friday, a little bit of cloud in the sky, but nothing too much to worry about there. Good to be with you. One three one eight seven three. If you've just come along, you've come at a good time. Jim Haynes and Sydney Siders in just a moment. Another wonderful edition of that chapter of the show later on. And I will ask you also about the NDS. I know we've been over this a thousand times. Who hasn't, But there was a development overnight and that is that the Disability Agency, the NDA, they oversee the whole thing, have revealed they're going to slash the maximum fees that service providers can charge NDS participants. So these are the fees that physiotherapists, dietitians whatever can charge, the maximum fees they can charge a participant on the scheme. Now, as The Australian reported last night, as part of the annual review into the scheme's costs, and they've got to be rained in, there's no doubt about it. The National Disability Insurance Agency said that it would lower price limits for a range of services in an effort to bring them back in line to what Australians not on the NDS we're paying now. Of course, this has long been a huge issue with the NDIS. Those four letters NDIS seem to be akin to the word wedding, the hospitality trade. You know, it's a license just inflate the price of a similar service. And many people I know that have had interactions with the NDIS say, well, look, I could have got this piece of equipment or that service or whatever it is for about a third of the price if I were able to do it outside of the parameters. And they are restrictive of the NDIS scheme that THESS schemically. So this is an issue. If you've got a government scheme where the people that are providing services to it, but also to the wider community seem to think they can charge an enormous premium to the NDIS participants or their careers or whoever pays the bills as opposed to somebody else who's not on the NDIS for a very similar service, then we've got a problem. I think most would say that is just inappropriate, and it would go a long way to explaining why the scheme is so damn expensive, miles above what the maximum for forecast was when it was first put together all those years ago with Julia Gillard and Jenny Macklin, I think, and all of the others involved at the time. So I'll get some of your stories about the examples where because you've had to do something through the ndis that you could have done as a non participant outside the scheme, that the price has just been so outrageously inflated that you just roll your eyes say, hang, this is why this thing's going to cost fifty billion a year in rising. We'll deal with that later in the hour one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 18: There were history makers, frauds and fakers, ladies and renowned good ones, bad ones, quite a few mad ones lived in Sydney Town. There were fascinating characters, convicts, Parrister's servants of the Crown. Con means strong men, all the wrong men.
Speaker 8: There's a ton of them, and every one of them lived in Sydneytown.
Speaker 10: Now on afternoons Sydney with Jim Haynes.
Speaker 2: Well, here he is has promised and he's in a very subtle jacket too, I might add hello, Jim Hayes bike. Yes, this is my speaking jacket.
Speaker 8: I was going to take it off in the basement and car park.
Speaker 2: It's too cough, so I left and on.
Speaker 8: But I was talking to the lovely people out at Castle Hill, Kellyville Hill's probus and they told me that you know, then they're our calling you, Mick Mac.
Speaker 2: See this is something Ben Fordham's start. Oh okay, now this is yes. So Ben had to give one hundred dollars to a former senator today. He was the first one on here to call me Mick Mac. That was the deal. Oh, first call through to do it. And so it's Rex Patrick. So there you go.
Speaker 8: Well it didn't take long to reach Castle Hill. Let me tell you. They lovely bunch of people out there, Yes, and most of them are listeners, of course, and we're going to talk. We're going way back today. It's it's always a little difficult to find the number of females because a lot of our Sydney Siders are colonial from the colonial period, and then we have the twentieth century even and of course there's more men who are chronicled in the colonial era. But you know, the women are there, you just have to search for them. And some of the archivists at the various schools, and my old school has a big archive happening now on a website. I got the magazine, so we might be asking the archivist at Sydney Boys, who are the great Sydney Siders that we've produced. I just saw one of them on TV, Scott Morrison. But we don't talk about living people. It's too dangerous. So we're going way back in time to talk about this amazing woman and her name now the Aura. And you always want to say the Aora people, but it's like Fuji. You don't say Mount Fuji because Fuji means the mountain, so you don't say if you say Mount Fuji, you're saying, oh, mountain, mountain. And if you say Aora people, you're saying people people, right, because.
Speaker 2: We say wogga wog Well that's different.
Speaker 8: That means a lot of something, yes, but in that's where Agerie language. But you know, so we just say the Aura. The people who inhabited the Sydney Basin. There were a number of tribal groups. Okay, so this one. Her name was Bourrong, also known as Abaru and in various journals, and sadly most of the or the only information we really have about these people, the first Aura who were met by the on the people of the First Fleet, is that we only know them through the journals of the British people who were writing things, so you know, you've got to search your way through. But we do know a bit about her, which is interesting. She was the daughter of Macgren who was barum Margatal, which is basically looks just let's say Paramatta, right, all these Barromatta, Galea, and they're just different ways of saying what we now call Paramatta. And he was an elder. Her mother's name. We even know her mother's name, which is very strange for the time. It was Gurubera, which means.
Speaker 10: The fire stick.
Speaker 8: I don't know if she was a fiery sort of a woman. Anyway, she was from the Paramatta area and she was about twelve when the First Fleet arrived we think now eighteen months into the British colonization invasion, whatever you want to call that, small pox spread virulently through and wiped out possibly something like seventy percent of the Aura and her family were wiped out and so were the family of another boy to whom she was related, and they were brought into John White. Now, John White is an really interesting bloke. He was a surgeon on the First Fleet and the Surge in Sydney until he went home, and he was an amazing person. He was one of the few who tried to understand the Aora and you know he well, he adopted the boy Nanbury, gave him an English name and raised him as his own. And the girl, the one we're talking about, Bourrong, he saved her life and she then went to live with the Reverend Johnson, who was the minister on the first Fleet. Right now, he and his wife were very interesting people. Now, for a start, those of you who know that the politics of the Anglican Church, there's the high Church who were sort of, you know, we're here for the people who believe like us, and they're the people we cater to. And then there were the Evangelicals who caused a bit of a fuss at times because they believed that you had to teach that if you if everyone in the world learned the Bible, then the world would be a better place and everyone would become a Christian. And there were a He was an evangelical Reverend Johnson, and so he took Bourroon into his house and she lived there for almost two years with the Johnson family. And interestingly, they had a daughter, and they had given her an a name. They actually had one of their own daughters. And I'm looking for the name now. I can't quite find it, but I'll find it in a minute. And so, unfortunately, the Reverend Johnson thought that the best thing he could do for this girl was to teach her the Lord's Prayer. So she learned the Lord's Prayer.
Speaker 2: Wrote.
Speaker 8: But look, he did teach her to read and write, and she could speak English quite well, and she could do some writing as well, although she was only there, you know, with them for a couple of years. Then she went back to her own people. But we'll get to that. So she was encouraged to wear clothes and speak. And as I said, he taught her the Lord's Prayer. And there's a lovely quote which I've got in here, where he thinks that teaching her the Lord's Prayer will save her. You know, I wish to see these poor heathen brought to the knowledge of Christianity, he said, which might have been a good aim, but there were other things that they really needed to learn about each other other than reciting the Lord's Prayer parrot fashion. Anyway, now what had happened, we've got to do a little bit of politics here. The first thing, Philip, Governor Philip was an interesting bloke. He really wanted to carry out the King's orders, which was to befriend and help what they call the native people. Now, of course that didn't turn out too well, but he did make an effort, and he wasn't doing very well with trying to communicate, so he actually kidnapped one. They kidnapped a blow called Arabanu, and he came to live in Government House and eventually stayed of his own free will. But unfortunately he died in the smallpox epidemic, so he was gone and they needed so Philip said, well, look we'll get two more, and he did. He kidnapped to ben Along, who everybody a lot of people know about, and they were taken by force. But ben Along then stayed at Government House of his own free will for quite a long time. Colby, his cousin. He sort of got rid of his shackles quite early and ran away but ben Along stayed and then he did go back to his own people, and Philip was very upset about this. He said, you know, we need to understand one another. We need to talk, we need to find out what they're thinking and so on. And it was arab It was Boo Wrong Arabou, who was another name for the same person who did the mediation. So she was really important because she and Nanbry who was the boy who was adopted by the Surgeon General, they were the go betweens and Bourrong translated when the Reverend Johnson and Lieutenant Dawes went to find out who speared Philip and what you remember, they Governor Philip was speared at Manly Cove and it was a ritual retaliation for stealing ben Along and Colby, but they didn't know that at the time. So she was out there, she was translating, and when ben Along went back to his people, she went and tried to convince him to come back, and he did, and then Governor Philip built him his own house at ben Along.
Speaker 2: Point, nice to digs, not a.
Speaker 8: Bad bit of real estate, and it was titled you know that that was title. It was a little island and you could only cross at low tide.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a lot of islands in Sydney Harbor have now been joined to the mainland. So he did come back. Now she was to become ben Along's third wife after Barangaroo.
Speaker 19: Right.
Speaker 8: Barangaroo was ben Along's second wife. And we should say that ben Along didn't call himself. It was one of his names. He called himself was his main name. Ben Along was actually another one of his names. It's complicated. They had lots of names. So Barangaroo was his second wife. And she did not want to, you know, do this sort of getting friendly with the British. So she didn't want him to go back, and she said, what will happen to him? You know, they might hurt him or something. So the Reverend Johnson, along with Bourong, who had been living in his house as as a child, as one of his own kids sort of thing, they stayed with Barangaroo as hostages while ben Along went back to talk to Philip. So, you know, that's the sort of stuff that she was doing. Fascinating, it is, it's amazing. And after the peace was made, the Reverend Johnson said that that whole you know, arrangement between the Aora or some of them, the ones who were Benelong's and Colby's mob was all brought about by Burrong. She mediated the whole thing. So she then decided she'd go back to her own people. She had learned to speak English, she'd learned to read and write a bit, and so away she went, but she kept visiting. They were up the Parramatta River, but they'd come back to town and she'd go and visit the Reverend Johnson and his wife Mary and their little girl. But she would do so quite naked, and they were a little embarrassed about that. So evidently there was a dress hanging at the door, and she would put the dress on, go and have a cup of tea, and they'd leave it at the door and go off in the nutty back to the canoe. So it's a great story now around. Well, it was seventeen ninety seven. She's about twenty one years old. Now Barangaroo has passed away. She marries ben Along, so she becomes his third wife and they have a child. They have a child called known as Dicky ben Along, and they both lived with about there were about one hundred a group of about one hundred Aura living on James Squire's property at Kissing Point, and James Squire was incredibly good to.
Speaker 2: Them and friendly to them and letting them have, you know.
Speaker 8: The use of their own land.
Speaker 14: Again.
Speaker 8: Now, James Squire's very interesting. I think we've have spoken about James Squire and Sydney Siders. He was a gypsy, which was interesting because he was really sympatico with the Aura and that's where they lived Bourong and ban Along who were married and they died there around eighteen fourteen.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 8: Because it was too many details we know. No, we don't know much because they're mentioned in all the journals of the first Fleet. But you know, we've got a piece it all together because there was no written history of course of the Aurora. But so she would have been about twenty eight when she passed away, which was about the lifespan of the time for the Aura, and they're buried there. Now. Nanbury had a wonderful double life. He was in the navy, but he also went through initiation and when it and performed or participated in ritual spearings. So he was really living between two cultures, as was Bural and he died after he was speared in a ritual spearing, and he asked to be buried with ben Along and Bural in the same grave or the same place, so they're all buried together. And believe it or not, we found out where the grave was and we only did this in twenty eighteen. There was a Hunter's Hill, I know the Hunters Hill Rotary were involved in Michael Parsons and they discovered they found the place and unfortunately there was a house over it because can I give the address on there? Of course it was they found that twenty five Watson Street, Putney, and so the New Southwest government bought the house and I assume they're knocking it down and it's going to be a premonial place for bent Along and Nanbury and this amazing woman Bourong.
Speaker 2: Important in our history, in our story.
Speaker 8: And there is a drawing of her. It's not a particularly flattering one. It's a very primitive drawing and she's in ceremonial paint there because that was her brother's funeral when somebody drew up. So we actually have a portrait of her. As I said that, it's not a pattern, maybe a good like almost complete picture. We have something, and we have all this information about this amazing woman. And there was there were attempts to bring the you know, the British and the Aora together in spite of the horror of the small pox epidemic and the fact that well, let's be honest, it all didn't work. Really, there were people of goodwill trying to make it happen.
Speaker 2: It's a great story story of Bong. Thank you, Jim. A pleasure, wonderful part of Sydney's history. It is twenty if I passed two more after this.
Speaker 1: It's that time of the afternoon. Time to find out what's coming up on Sydney. Now for the Serrato successor, the turbo charged Kia K four kias on new small sedan GT line veryant available Now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 2: All right over to Clinton we go. He'll be with you after three o'clock. He's back from the airport. He's back in town for us. Now, Hello Clinton.
Speaker 9: Always to be a pleasure on the Mick Mac Show. How much money have you given away?
Speaker 19: Now?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not giving it. Ben's giving it away. Bends down thousands, pay rise time.
Speaker 9: I think it's good cross promotion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, hopefully drives the tea as well.
Speaker 9: Look, I love Laurie Daily. I think he's I think he's going to win this series three nil.
Speaker 2: There's a caveat car But did he.
Speaker 9: Realize when the Blues hold a state of origin camp in the Blue Mountains, it's cursed. So the news out today that Mitch moses he's got calf injury has gone. Maybe your man Jerome Leui could be called into the team. I think I should bring it in.
Speaker 2: All right, it's a buy. We'd probably been back burdened anyway.
Speaker 9: Now, Laurie, I know he's a student of history of rugby league history. Cast your mind back to when Wayne Pearce was the coach of the New South Wales Blues. Now this was around the turn of the century. Many of our listeners will remember this. The tradition was you take the Blues to around Coogie, so you can go to the Coojie Bay Hotel have a bonding session. Well, Junior Pierce, as you know, not a drinker, clean living, so he said, look, end of the bonding session, we're not going to the pub anymore. We're going to the Blue Mountains. So he's taken the whole team to the Blue Mountains.
Speaker 10: As Laurie has done.
Speaker 9: He did put them on horseback and they went riding. I think was Robbie Kerns prop forward fell off the horse that was ruled out because of the drama with.
Speaker 2: The horse, poor poor horse.
Speaker 9: I had Robbie Kerns, Yes, and the vow was their mate, we're not going back to Blue Mountains cursed. I think there might have been another starting to Cops Harbor. Yes, well Laurie should have learned the lesson from the early two thousands and Robbie Kerns. And now I don't believe Mitchell Moses was on a horse this afternoon.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. Why couldn't they just gone to the Center of Excellent on paramatter row to.
Speaker 9: Concord the Tiger Center of Excess. Well, there's also a new South Wales State of Origin Center of Excellence. That's his name for a gym I believe at Sidney Olympic Park they have an underground tunnel to go to the stadium. So what they do is that they warm up at their center of gym, go under the tunnel to the stadium for their origin games. But no, we had to go back to the Blue Mountains. Now I've lost Mitchell Moses right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the curse strikes again. Now, no curses after three o'clock for years. So what's coming up now?
Speaker 9: Look, we'll be bringing you an exclusive story about the transition to electric buses in Sydney. There is a long term plan to convert the entire fleet to electric. Successive state governments have backed this plan.
Speaker 2: It's not working.
Speaker 9: I'll bring you the details after three o'clock and we'll look back at the influence of Brian Wilson. I'm going to talk to an expert in the area from the Conservatory of Music. I regard Brian Wilson as one of the twentieth century's greatest musicians. Without it a growing up in a house with a Sixties obsessed father, you grew up on the Beatles, you grew up on the Beach Boys, and listening back to some of that music today that I've done, like so many of us have, it just feels like the end of an era with Brian Wilson gone a long time since, since John Lennon's life was taken away from us. So I'm going to look at the impact of Brian Wilson on the brain.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea. All right, thank you Clinton, look forward to listening to this. Ontington Maynard with Sydney now straight after three. All right, let's get all the latest ars. Katie Fuller standing by Hei Katie Hi.
Speaker 15: Michael, a home belonging to the head of the Alamdine crime group has been hit with bullets in Sydney's West just moments after he left the house. Three men have been arrested. Australia's corruption watchdog has found no evidence of wrongdoing in the government's handling of Britney higgins two point four million dollar compensation payout. Blue infections have risen by ten percent in just one week in New South Wales, with calls for people to get vaccinated, and the Royal Australian Mint is launching a set of collectible coints featuring twelve designs from the Women's Weekly Birthday cakebook. In Sport, the Indiana Pacers have taken a two to one lead over the Oklahoma City Thunder in the NBA Finals. The Pacers have won Game three at home one hundred and sixteen to one hundred and seven, and Michael there'll be more news in about twenty eight minutes on afternoons.
Speaker 1: A finance update for Pretzel Wealth and finance for Trusted Financial Planning.
Speaker 10: Just Google, Blake went to Pretzel.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's catch up with Scott Phillips from Themotley full dot com DOTU and see what's happening on this Thursday across the markets. But before we look at those, Scott, not too much of a surprise, I guess, but from July one, so I was talking about a little earlier. Actually, we're expecting the cost of a number of everyday utilities to go up.
Speaker 20: Michael, Yes, another day. Another price increase in good afternoon energy bills, the major one in South Wales, the average bills going up between eight and a half and nine point one percent from July one. If you're a small business up to eight and a half percent higher. No good news. There also internet and phone plans votaphone, opice in Telstra have all announced increases from July one, Votaphones raising some plans by four dollars a month, Telstra's increase in THEIRS by up to five dollars a month. Off this apparently are as well. Streaming service if you're a KO subscriber watching the sport, which I am, I'm paying another five bucks a month from next month now thirty dollars a month for KO that's existing is extinct subscribers in particular. So yeah, across the board, unfortunately, not great news. July one tends to be a date when most of those things happen. Yes, they're not going to be pretty and we know, of course the insurance prices keep going up as well as at the till, so yeah, I can't give you much. Yeah right, well, looks you have been in terms of inflation. Insurance has been one of the major major drivers, particularly recently. As other things have come down, insurance continues to go up. So yes, a tough time. Unfortunately for bill players, not going to get any better help. The choangs already went up in of course that won't go up again, thankfully, that's one that won't go up. But general insurance likely to continue to increase. A can Star found the average cost of car insurance comprehensive increased one hundred and twenty two dollars a year over the past twelve months.
Speaker 2: Mind you, as I said earlier, you've got all of these people listening saying, well, we see the official CPI data says where we've got the rbas now got it within the two to three percent banned happy days? What people that lay on, how do they figure that? Because all of this is going up five, six, seven, eight, ten, fourteen, insurance case I was twenty percent, where's this two to three percent thing coming from?
Speaker 20: Yeah, it's not great, is it. I mean, well, frankly, one of the goodest petrols come down. That's been nice, and it's one of the major costs for a whole lot of people. But you're right, much after I mean, food's come out a little bit to the rate of increase, still going up. So some of the staples the only good thing I suppose to some of those are changed, but it doesn't get much more staple and insurance and energy and they're still going up. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Now that's it. Certainly the energy is not a discretion.
Speaker 20: We spend the markets of the dollar market dead flat, down zero point eight points to eight hundred and nineteen. That's about three decimal places worth of decline. We'll call that pretty much flat. I remember of the US dollars down against all the major countries, quite a bit actually one point one percent lower against the euro, one per cent lower against the pound, and the end a quarter of a percent low against the US dollar sixty four point nine six US sins.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you, Scott. We'll speak tomorrow for Friday Finance. Scott Phillips there, the chief investment officer from the Motley fool full dot com dot A. You now, don't forget get set toy because Twogb's Winter Wheel starts spinning from Monday. We're turning up the heat with a I think up to forty thousand dollars worth of cash and prizes to be won. That's right now. You can listen across the day. You should do it for your chance to spin the wheel and you could be warming up your winter with cold, hard cash and prizes. Now we're spinning the wheel in breakfast mornings here on afternoons and with Clinton on Sydney. Now Twogb's Winter Wheel, it starts spinning from Monday. Something to look forward to there, don't miss out. Stay listening to Sydney's two GB. That's where you're at. It's twenty three to three, where it is nineteen minutes to three. Apologies for a bit of the the double up there during the AD break, but you know, the gremlins getting the system sometime. A lot of feedback coming through earlier in the day, still about this whole orchest thing. People a bit concerned about where we might be heading here. But on the broader issue of talking about defense and military and battles and all of that. Ray wrote earlier to say, I think future generations, say a thousand years from now, we'll look back on all of this warring and see it as so childish. Look. I hope you're right, but I suspect you're not, because when you think back over the previous thousand years, So go back to you know, where are we twenty twenty five? So go back to one thy twenty five AD. All of our ancestors were scrapping with each other, in fact, far more than we are today. And you go back another thousand years before that, about the time of Jesus Christ, they were fighting all over the place between the Romans and who knows who else, and the previous millennias before that, they were all fighting each other. It's sadly just human nature, where one can't agree with the other over resources or who knows what else. They turn to fisticuffs, and these days fisticuffs can come in the form of an atomic weapon. So look, I'd love to think that utopia will break out in the next millennia, but I suspect it won't. But anyway, Ray, you and I won't be here to toss the coin and see who won, Sarah says Mick Mack. Thanks there. I think the US thinks our defense if it's pathetic, and I think our PM will do anything to keep in favor with China and spurm Trump. Also, the Labor Party are anti nuclear. We're a backward country with uninspiring leaders. That's Sarah's take. This is from Michael, who says, tell Trump we are rescinding the Pine Gap agreement and then let's see how he reacts. Now, your first him as the taco. That's an acronym for Trump always chickens out. This is something that's coming through America now about near trade deals and all these things. Talks a big game but then backs out. Trump always chickens out a taco. Let's see. This is from Brent, who says the immediate solution to the Orcus subs problem should be this one the Prime Minister needs to commit to greater immediate Defense expenditure two, a stopgap measure of B twenty one bombers and long range firers purchased with costs sent to the US for Orcus subs already Part three or three. Start working on a nuclear submarine pact with the UK and Japan. That's from Brent. Thank you everybody for you feedback and all of that still coming through. Read the story of Booong that Jim was outlining. Fascinating all that sort of part of early colonial history. Chris says, I grew up at sixteen Watson Street, Putney. Now that street was mentioned, I think it was number twenty four to twenty five by Jim. But as Chris says, we used to play on these grounds growing up where Ben Along is now buried. My mate's mum sold the house to the New South Wales government. Not sure what they're doing with it now, but the house is still there, so I've spent a lot of time next to ben Along. Funnily enough, he says, when all the pools in our street were being dug up, the council would inspect just in case they actually dug up Ben Along true story, says Chris. It's a fascinating inside Chris, thank you for that appreciated one three, one eight seven three the open line number. Now do you have any famous relatives? You know, I asked, because everyone's now getting involved in all this ancestry dot com thing, and everyone's doing saliva swabs and DNA samples and working out you're related to some king or queen from Spain or something. But there's an interesting piece out of the UK Telegraph to do with the Vinci clan of Tuscany. Now, of course the Vinci names famous, Leonardo da Vinci being at the apex of the fame. But as it says here, the Vinci's of northern Italy lived for years without knowledge of their rich family heritage, that is until now. A team of Italian scholars and scientists believe they've traced back the family of Leonardo da Vinci all the way back to thirteen thirty one, that's just before the Bubonic plague arrived in Italy, and using bone fragments from Leonardo's family burial tomb that's at the church of the Santa Crocea in the town of Vinci, they've now formerly identified at least five heirs of the great inventor. Now, the five men still living in Tuscany and in fact not far from Leonardo's hometown, all have DNA that matches segments of the Y chromosome from the bone fragment. And though they may never become as famous as their forefather, they appear to share some of the inventors quirks and passions. And so there's photos of all of them here and who they are and what It's all very interesting. But that would be that would be something quite special. I think if you know, you did the whole DNA thing and it turned out that one of the relatives was none other than Leonardo da Vinci, you'd be thinking, well, I should have gone a selective school or something. But do you have any do you have any famous relatives? When you shake the family tree, any of them fall out? Who was it? And when did you find out? How did you find out? One? Three, one eight seven three the open line number. Okay, what I was saying earlier regarding the NDEs back to that the NDIA have done their annual review into the scheme, the cost of the scheme, and it's unsustainable. It's got to be rained in and so you've got to look at the number of people accessing the NDIS as well as the services provided and the costs that are associated with those services. Now, the takeaway message from many who are grateful to be on the scheme or who have relatives that are benefiting benefiting from the scheme. One of the takeaway messages that keeps coming out, however, is that it is being abused by some of the providers. They are simply charging a premium because those four letters NDS are being applied and that's where the money's coming from from the service. And to prove it, they say, well, look, I could have got this shower handrail, or I could have got this non slip mat, or I could have got this particular wheelchair, or I could have got this particular massage whatever it is for X dollars if i'd just gone to the provided director's Joe, average citizen. But the moment I went via the NDIS because I have to do that to access the capital. The price was this, you know, X to the power of ten or something right forward. And they said, well, this is ridiculous because we're benefiting, but others are not able to benefit because there's no money left in the kiddy, and we've got to rain this in. So the NDA are onto it, and they've said, okay, we're going to have to do something about this. So it looks like as though they have slashed the maximum fees that service providers can charge NDS participants. Okay, well, good, good. Anyway, you might have a story that you wish to share, an example of one of these products just outrageously inflated price because you came waiving the piece of paper that said NDS. As I said earlier when Jim was in the studio, the NDS, those four letters NDS, they're sort of akin to the word wedding, you know, in the hospitality trade, it's a license. It seems to inflate the price for a similar service that one could get outside of the scheme. Now that's not good enough, and taxpayers should demand significant oversight here. So I think the NDIA is on the right track. There'll be people saying, oh, no, this is wrong and we can't do this, but at the end of the day, the whole thing will collapse under its own weight unless efforts like this are instigated. One three, one eight seven three Sue good afternoon.
Speaker 3: Hi Michael, how are you good? How are you good?
Speaker 8: I love your show, Thank you sir.
Speaker 19: Watch it. Listen to it every single afternoon.
Speaker 2: Oh wonderful thing, wonderful than you.
Speaker 17: That's pleasure.
Speaker 19: My ancestor is Alan Cunningham explorer. He's one of the first bottanists in Australia. He came over from England. He also had a brother, Robert, who was a botanist and he got killed.
Speaker 4: By the Aboriginals.
Speaker 19: He has a singing in the botanic gardens like this big statue. Not a statue, like a memorial in the lake there.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Oh, I know where the lake is. So he's got a memorial in there, does he?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 19: In the lake itself here. How we found out was my father. They were doing the family tree and they found out it was Alan Cunningham, cunning Ham scap all that sort of thing. It's truly interesting because on the weekend my grandmother, my auntie, gave me a list of my father and grandmother were doing, and then there's all this stuff and there's a cunning hand. So I've yet to look into it. I've got about, oh about one hundred pages. I've got letters from about eighteen fifty to go through. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a wonderful thing. I think it's one of those things, isn't it. So when you start the deep dive, you've got to take a deep breath because you'll be under for a long time, just being absorbed by all of the different layers and the different generations and the stories, and you will uncover some very very interesting stuff. So good for you. There you go. So related to Alan Cunningham, one of the first botanists in New South Wales. I'm being told, Jacob, apparently it's related to James Ruce. Are you didn't they had a green thumb. Good on you, Jacob, Well done. There you go. See interesting. I was always told our family line went back to Charles the first but he was one that lost his head was and he so whether we boast or complain, I don't know that was the story. I haven't seen the full lineage to prove the tale, but it might be true. I don't know. It is eleven minutes to three now, one afternoons. Track of the day, al right, I want to give away a double pass to Riviera Revenge. The storyline is this on the sunny French Riviera A family revelation spirals into a mischievous journey, bringing with love, vengeance and surprises. No one ever said marriage or zazy and who could resist retribution by the seaside? Riviera Revenge a French smash hit romantic comedy. It's in Australian cinemas from June twenty sixth If you want to go double pass one three, one eight seven three, here's the question, And yeah, it's an interesting question. Actually. The Celsius scale was officially adopted by Australia on this day, But in what year? In what year did we officially adopt the Celsius scale in Australia? It was on this day, but in what year? If you know, you want to have a go one three, one eight seven three, here's a little bit of a Celsius related music. All right, let's see if we can find a winner. Celsius The scale was officially adopted in Australia on this day in what year?
Speaker 11: Paul, nineteen seventy three?
Speaker 2: Close but not quite right? Not quite right? Dare I say warm but not hot? Yvonne? What do you reckon?
Speaker 6: Nineteen seventy one?
Speaker 2: Even closer but not quite right, Thank you, Yvon, have a good one.
Speaker 5: John, gooday John, nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 2: Now are you going in the wrong direction? John, Thanks for trying. Janet Afternoon nineteen seventy correct, correct, correct nineteen seventy it was You're off to see Riviera Revenge. Hang on their Janet. We'll grab your details and we'll be back after the break. Well, that's it for us today. Thank you. We'll go and enjoy what's left of the afternoon and the blue sky and all the rest of it. Tomorrow Busy show. Ian Baker Finch, the Australian golfing legend, will join me. Biography out about Ian, looking forward to reading and speaking about his life the domain real estate segment. Of course, Friday Food. Got a bit of a treat on Friday Food, and a whole lot more so stay with us after the news. The One and Only Clinton, Maynard and Sydney now bid