Speaker 1: Now instead of doctor carb this warning answering your questions, it's Biancher. No, Grady, do I call you doctor Biancher?
Speaker 2: Ah kay if you like. It's not technically my title, but I'm happy to take it.
Speaker 1: What about brainy bi anchor?
Speaker 2: Yes, good at improvising. Bianca might work you go.
Speaker 1: Let's get to some of these questions, and I love them. This one from Paul. When you're standing on the shoreline, how far away is the horizon with the curvature of the Earth.
Speaker 3: So the answer to this is both simple and complicated. So it's simple because it's actually relatively easy to work this out. Essentially just a mathematical formula. It uses Pythagris's theorem and essentially it takes into account your height and the diameter of the Earth, but the actual mass of that is in terms of and I say this because I am not a mathematically inclined.
Speaker 2: Person, but I'll try and talk you through it.
Speaker 3: So essentially, if you imagine that you've got a triangle where one side of the triangle is a distance from let's say you're eyes right down to the center of the Earth. The other side of the triangle is the distance from the horizon all the way to the center of the Earth. And then the third side of the triangle is the line from your eyes to that point on the horizon. So you're creating a kind of a triangle that you can then measure. Now, if you use Pythagris's theorem, you can actually then work out because you know how long. We know what the diameter of the Earth is, and we know what our own height is, so we can work out the length of two sides of the triangle. And then you can use Pythagrisi's theorem, which I'm not going to do live on air because I'm not a mathematically inclined person, but you can then relatively easily use that to work out how long the line is then from your eyes to the horizon. Or you can cheat, and there is actually a website online where you can enter your height or the height the altitude that you're at, and then it will tell you how far it is to the horizon. So in my case, I'm about one point five meters home. I think it might be one point six, I'm not sure. So if I was standing at sea level, like on a beach, and I was looking over to the horizon, it would be about four point three seven kilometers away. If you're a bit taller, obviously it's a little bit further. And then if you're in an aeroplane, so let's say you're flying in ten kilometers above the Earth's surface, you will be able to see three hundred and fifty seven kilometers to the horizon, and obviously the further up you go, the further out you can see.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just want to pick up on one thing though, Paul said, curvature of the Earth, obviously not realizing that the Earth is in fact flat.
Speaker 3: Well, that would make the calculations a lot simpler if.
Speaker 1: That throws everything easily into the bucket. Here's a question from Sue. What's the smallest possible unit of time?
Speaker 3: This is a great question because you know, we initially might think, oh, it's like a microsecond or a pico second, or some kind of weird thing that you could measure on the stopwatch. But actually we're getting down into the realm of the quantum with this, because the smallest unit of time that can, in theory be measured is actually called the plank time. Brilliant and weird stuff happens at plank time, So it's the plank time, so it's p L A N c K. So this is names after Max Plank, who was a German theoretical physicist, and.
Speaker 2: He actually discovered.
Speaker 3: Energy quanta, the kind of packet parcels of energy in the earlier nineteen hundreds, won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in nineteen eighteen. So plank time is defined as the amount of time it takes a photon of light, so a particle of light which is traveling at the speed of light as they do, it's a time it takes to cross the distance of one plank length.
Speaker 2: So what is a plank length.
Speaker 3: Plank length is one point six times ten to the minus thirty five meters, So I kind of even give you a comparison of how many plank lengths there are in a you know, with the human hair, it's so infinitesimly tiny. And so the amount of time that it takes for light to cross a plank length is five point thirty nine times ten to the minus forty four seconds.
Speaker 2: And some really weird.
Speaker 3: Stuff happens in the kind of plank length and plank time. So this is essentially where gravity, what we understand as the behavior of gravity doesn't kind of work. And it's like, this is where I don't know if you've ever heard.
Speaker 2: It's idea of a theory of everything, and.
Speaker 3: It's this kind of quest in theoretical physics to try and combine general relativity, which is, you know, things that are affected by gravity, with quantum mechanics, which is things that are essentially below you know, at this level. And there's always this quest to try and unite those two things so that it all makes sense one great, big, beautiful theory, and so far physicists haven't quite managed to do it. So, yeah, plank time and plank length is the smallest measurable distance and unit of time.
Speaker 1: You're so clever. And you know what, because I'm the most annoying person anybody would ever meet. Just ask the listeners. They'll tell you that I'm going to actually respond to people when they say I'll be there in a sec I'll go, yep. And what's that name plank time?
Speaker 2: You know, one day you'll do that.
Speaker 3: And if it's a theoretical physicist, they're going to give you money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then I really look like an idiot. What more from Steve? Steve says, what color is the surface of a mirror.
Speaker 2: Well, this was an interesting one.
Speaker 3: So I guess when we're talking about the actual surface of a mirror, there's kind of two bits there. So there's the surface, which is the glass that forms I guess what you think of as the front part of a mirror. But then the back part of the mirror is the silvery reflective layer. So if we say the silvery reflective layer, well, I guess it's a sort of a silvery color in and of itself, but then it's also reflecting whatever is in front of it.
Speaker 2: So what we see is that.
Speaker 3: Color is going to be whatever it is that we're seeing reflected. But the glass is an interesting one because we think of glass as being clear, and for the most part, what we see out of you know, a typical glass window like the one I'm looking out now, it's clear.
Speaker 2: We don't really see any tint in it.
Speaker 3: But real glass does actually have a slight greenish tint, and that's because there's a small amount of iron oxide that's in the sand that's used to make what we think of as normal glass. So the short answer would be the surface of that mirror would.
Speaker 2: Be a very, very very faint greenish tint.
Speaker 3: So if you think about a really thick pane of glass, if you're able, if you look at it side on.
Speaker 2: Sometimes if you see like a glass piece of glass.
Speaker 3: Looking like a shower cubicle, you can look at it side on and you can see it's a little bit greenish. So that's the sort of color if you're going to be really technical, looks clear, but in fact there's a bit of green in it.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad we're able to talk about this morning. And when I go in to get some paint to paint the bathroom, that's what I'm going to ask for. I want ten to mirror green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be very tricky to find that one. I think it's a very faint color.
Speaker 1: So tell us this, Why is dog walking so dangerous?
Speaker 3: Well, so I'm a dog person, so I need to counter this by saying, first of all, dog walking is very good for your health. It gets you out, and it's a lot of physical activity, and that we should all be doing this. So let's just put that kind of qualifying out first. But there is also some risk involving involved in dog walking, and this is actually some research that came out of the UK and they found that the annual cost of injuries from dog walking is estimated to be about fifty million dollars in.
Speaker 2: Australian wow each year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so and look, there's no reason to think that the UK would be particularly different to Australia. And what they're looking specifically at, or what seems to be the most common form of injuries injuries to wrists and hands and fingers. So I don't know if you're a dog on a field, but I had dogs dog. You know, they could be pretty enthusiastic. It depends on how well they're trained. But if you've got a big, heavy set labrador that really likes just sniffing and dragging you off into every direction, that can actually put a lot of strain on wrists and fingers and arms and elbows. And so when they were looking at these studies, they found that about one in I mean, it's twenty two percent of the injuries were soft tissue injuries, so.
Speaker 2: People were getting sprains of their wrist.
Speaker 3: But also it goes even to something like kind of tendon itis, like almost like a form of tennis elbow because you're constantly especially if you're walking a dog, you know, for an hour or half an hour every day, they can actually build up a lot of strain of muscles and tends that perhaps otherwise aren't used in that fashion. But then another risk was actually also fractures. You know, if you think you're kind of walking along and maybe you've got the lead looped around your wrist, and then suddenly your dog kind of jerks off in an unexpected direction, that can actually be enough force to cause a fracture of I mean, there's lots of delicate bones in our hands and wrists, and I mean what was interesting with this was that when they were looking at the injuries, about three quarters of them were in women.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's because women might be more.
Speaker 3: Likely to walk the dog, who knows, But particularly in older women, this was a problem. And that's a little bit of a clue to what might be going on here for some of these injuries. Because older women, particularly if the postmenopausal, they might have lower bone density, Their bones are a little bit more kind of fragile and brittle, maybe they've got osteoporosis, and it makes them much more vulnerable to breaking a bone from something, you know, like a you know, the lead being kind of jerked off to one side. Might be fine if you're a healthy eighteen year old, but when you're sixty, that can actually be quite a serious break. And I mean the other thing as well is also sometimes people get pulled over by their dog if the.
Speaker 2: Dog's a particular spotted a cat or something.
Speaker 3: Yes, and people were tripping over the leash sometimes, you know, if a dog kind of runs around you, or if you're walking two dogs at the same time, trip over the dog sometimes.
Speaker 2: So there were all sorts of injuries, but predominantly they're.
Speaker 3: Really about sort of hands and wrists and fingered injuries.
Speaker 2: So it's you know, it's one of those things to.
Speaker 3: Just be aware of that, particularly as you get older and you might be a little bit less dady on your feet as well, that walking the dog, you kind of got to take extra care just to look at how.
Speaker 2: You're holding the lead and also how well you trained your dog. Is fantastic.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take some calls on this one three, one eight seven three. Tell me about how you injured yourself walking your dog. This is brilliant in the history of radio topics. Tell me about your dog walking injury. One three, one seven to three On that let's talk about killer whales off the coast of North America spotted making tools, what hammers, chisels, that kind of.
Speaker 2: You know, we always think of tools as being I mean, like tool use is not uncommon amongst animals.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's so much evidence of crows using them, and obviously we know a lot about chimpanzees using tools, but this is one of the first times that tool use has actually been reported in marine mammals. And what I love about this is because they were using it for grooming. So it was this group of killer whales living kind of the Pacific, just off British Columbia and Washington, and they found they spotted them picking or kind of breaking the ends off bull kelp. So they're really big, long, thick rubbery strands of bull kelp.
Speaker 2: And then they would press these pieces.
Speaker 3: Of kelp against a partner, you know, a partner and other whale and then basically roll along, so roll the kelp between their bodies back and forward for long periods of time. And they were trying to understand why they were doing this, and so they were kind of looking for what might explain it. The first thing they saw was that the whales were more likely to groom other whales that were closely related or of a similar age, So that suggests there's a social dimension to this. This is you know that there's I guess a social purpose to it. But then the other interesting thing was they found that it seemed to be more common with whales that had more kind of.
Speaker 2: Molting skin or dead skin on.
Speaker 3: Their backs and on their sides, So that points to there being an actual function of this. It's not just kind of, you know, giving someone a little bit of a backscratch because it feels good. This is actually there's a kind of a beauty though, basically giving each other a seaweed wrap, you know, taking rid of that, getting rid of that dead skin, having a good scratch, making friends.
Speaker 2: But it's the first time it's been seen in marine mammals.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. Thank you so so much. I feel so much smarter. I especially want to get back to you next week with the results of dog walking injuries. Can you join us again next week?
Speaker 2: Indeed,