Speaker 1: Onto GV. This is sitting now with Clinton.
Speaker 2: Maynar Friday, June twenty Clinton may not here one three one eight seventy three. It is almost the weekend that officially today Friday is bringing your dog to workday. So there could be a few dogs maybe popping in and out of the studio during the pregram. I try to keep them under control. Okay, they shouldn't make too much noise. The day is about encouraging the workplace to allow their stuff to bring their pets to work. Well, if these dogs keep barking for hours and hours on end, I think the boss is going to change his mind. Coming up on the program, there is the real fear that many parents have pulled their kids out of sport weekend sport, after school sport because they can't afford it anymore. Now you might be taking your children to sport tomorrow morning. It will have become more costly for it because the state government a couple of years ago they changed the rules about the vouchers that they were giving you under the previous government. There's now a means test. We're going to look at this today because there's some fear that it's really starting to do damage to Kids. One of the biggest names in Australian music for the past forty years. Ivor Davies, the lead singer of the legendary Ice House, joins Crazy from their hit album of the nineteen eighties, Man of Colors. That album had five top ten hits in this country. It turns out David Bowie was a massive fan, so over Davy's joining me A little later on Mark Geyer all the details for Round sixteen of the NRL. Will do our tips and I'll spin two gv's Winter Wheel this afternoon. We have hundreds and fat thousands of dollars worth a great prices give away. You need to keep listening for my cue to call. You are my eyes and ears when it is happening in Sydney now, so send me a text message. Please send me a text message. You can see something in Sydney that we need to know about. The text line is zero force x zero eight seven three eight seven three. Have you say one three one eight seven three. It has been another bad day on Sydney's train network. Problems on the T two, the T three and the T five because somebody cut a cable. Matt Longland is the CEO of Sydney Trains Matter their dramas right at the moment.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Clinton. Now, look, the network's holding up pretty well at the moment, so good level service across all lines other than the T five at the moment. So that's the line that's really been impacted between Cabramata and Granville as a result of this vandalism. That's quite a complex repairge of it was a signaling cable fifty cores, so they've got to reconnect fifty individual parts of cables and then test it to make sure obviously that's safe repairs and how complete. We're just working through the final testing. So we're replacing T five services between Cabramata and Granville with buses. That's been happening for the today.
Speaker 1: T two is.
Speaker 3: Operating via Regent's Park and Lidcombe to avoid that area and is operating well. So the network is holding up about ninety two percent on time at the moment, which is good news, and we don't expect any major impacts on the pmpeak, But for passengers on the T five there is I think there's about a ten minute frequency on the buses operating on that section between Cabramata and Granville. As soon as we're able to reopen the line, we'll get those T fives reconnected and get things back in shape for passengers.
Speaker 2: So that is it likely you'll have trains running between gabin Matter and Grandville later this afternoon or is it going to be after the peak.
Speaker 3: My expectation is it'll be in the next half an hour or maybe forty five minutes.
Speaker 4: We're hoping.
Speaker 3: So the repairs to all the cabling is complete. It's just quite a complex testing process to ensure that the obviously the signals are displaying the right aspects and that we can be absolutely confident that we can book them back in. And the engineers have been doing that for the last little while. They're in the final stages of that now. So we will have services back on the T five rail services, I would hope in the next forty five minutes. But in the interim, buses between Caramata and Grandville, T two services and T three will continue to operate as they have during the day.
Speaker 2: And just to recap the cause of this, some bright Spark has decided to cut through the cable deliberately.
Speaker 3: Well, that's correct. We think maybe it was an attempt at trying to steal copper, which sometimes happens on the rail network. People are very well organized. These cables sit inside some fairly heavy duty steel troughing beside the corridor. So they've cut through the troughing. They've opened it up and then effectively cut the cable. Now, whether they were disrupted while they were doing that, or they've changed their mind or realized that it's actually lots and lots of small cables rather than a large copper cable, I'm not sure. But it has created quite an impact for passengers today and a big job for our engineers who obviously would rather be focusing on other work. They've been there for the day today. Those repairs aren't now complete. We're just doing that final testing.
Speaker 2: Hopefully those trains are backing up and running soon. Thank you, Matte.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no problems, thanks so.
Speaker 2: The T two, the T three which were affected throughout the day, they're okay now. The T five still no trains between Cabramata and Granville.
Speaker 5: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton Man on.
Speaker 2: To GB twelve past three concerning news has emerged this afternoon that sixteen billion login credentials on computers and apps and other various forms of software have been leaked in a new mass cybersecurity threat. Sources are indicating that this is the biggest breach of its kind and it's likely going to affect us just every day Australians. If you're a user of Google, if your is of Apple, Meta Wi j Owes, Facebook and Instagram, this may well affect you. Trevor Long is our tech expert from EFTM dot com. Great website it joins us. Trevor should we be worried about this?
Speaker 6: I think we should.
Speaker 7: Everyone should realize that with sixteen billion usernames and passwords and other details available to in one source, this is a discovery of basically a big bucket are a lot of information and this is not one hack. I should be very clear, and it's not Google got hacked or Facebook or Apple. This is through malware and different means of obtaining this information. It's all in one place, which means a hacker, a criminal, a scammer can access that information and potentially scam you, or access other sites and other services you use where Frankly, we all know you're using the same password.
Speaker 2: So would somebody would criminals be then able to sell this information on sell it.
Speaker 7: This would be it's basically a supermarket for the underworld. They would come along and say I would like one hundred million addresses please, and they will either go and then target those people with scams or they will target those people with what's called credential stuffing. So that means, let's say they obtained your details from shop A that was hacked from ten years ago, and there's your username of password. They'll now take that unermber password and try and log into shop B or bank A and start trying to access your on line identity in other places and therefore taking money from you or your identity. And that's the real risk here, is that people are being defrauditive their identity and their money through a breach I didn't even know about it.
Speaker 2: Is there any way, Is there any way you're going to know if you're a victim?
Speaker 7: Not really no, I mean, in reality, these researchers say that the database SAW was only available or exposed briefly to them, which means that the people that held the data had locked it away again. You know, are more securely Weirdly, it's securely locked away from the researchers, so we don't know who's on the list. We don't know how many people are involved with sixteen billion logins. You have to assume it is millions and millions and hundreds of millions of people globally. So we all have to take these moments and go right. I need to take a few things seriously. I need to make sure my email, my bank, and maybe my social media and those shops that you log onto regularly are all locked down with a new and secure password.
Speaker 2: And that password, so go through that process.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Password should be different from software to software, from Facebook to your Google account to a shop.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, So look, it's not the best security advice that I give. Where I say, I don't mind if you use the same password for Facebook and Twitter and social media, it's fine, But do not use the same password you use for your bank anywhere else. And do not use the same password you use for your email anywhere else because those two things. Bank obviously they take your money. If tag it into your email bag, it into everything because they can reset every password. And your password should be long and strong. That means just pick three words three words that you can remember, put them together into one password and that will then become memorable to you and something that you can use quite efficiently.
Speaker 2: Good advice. We can read about it on your website at EFTM dot com. Thank you, trev Mate, Trevor Long. Quarter past three. Just do it tonight. Just make sure you don't use the same password critically for your bank and your other services. Now in Macquarie Street this afternoon, there is a lot of head scratching, a fair bit of confusion about what exactly is happening with the five government staffers who were effectively now being threatened with arrest, the chief of Staff and the communications director and the Deputy chief of staff for Chris Means, the Premier and the two most senior staff members for the Policemanister Yasmin Catley. What's happened today? The five had until ten forty five this morning to give evidence to the inquiry which is examining all the circumstances surrounding the Dural caravan that was packed with explosives and why the Premier described as potentially a mass terrorist event, a mass casualty event, but then later it was emerged that it was a fake plot by criminals. Well, they didn't turn up, and then they were given a little extra time just in case they were stuck in the traffic. They weren't stuck in the traffic because they were never going to turn up, and the Premier made that very clear to Ben Fordham on Tuesday. So then what happened was there was a letter that was provided by the five and the letter asked to be excused from giving evidence and gave the various reasons why they should be excused. Well, that wasn't good enough for the committee chairman Rob Roberts. He rejected that for.
Speaker 8: Any witness, not a member of Parliament, to decline to appear before a committee having been properly summons to do so, is an extremely serious matter. I am disappointed in the government's continued efforts to hinder and frustrate the work of this committee.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to get to the bottom today exactly what's going to happen here, because it's very confusing, and I know this is a bunch of politicians in the Upper House that a lot of people remember Paul Keating laid with the Senate unrepresentative swill. A lot of people think it's just politicians fighting amongst themselves, and to a fair extent, that's what it's all about. But what may well happen is something we've never seen. The five government staffers, they could well very well be arrested. We don't know how this is going to happen, really or when it's going to happen. I've been in contact with one of the committee members in the last twenty five minutes, and the impression I had originally been given is what would happen is Ben Franklin, who's the President, would make an application of the Supreme Court, and a Supreme Court justice would then he or she would consider the facts and then make a decision about whether there would be arrests, and arrest would be made effectively to force these five staff members to give evidence to this committee. Well, I've been told by one committee member that his reading of the legislation, he is of the opinion now it's not up to the judge. Simply Ben Franklin, the President of the Senate, he asked the judge basically puts the application for the judge that they make the arrest and it just happens. But then there's the whole problem of well, hang on, this committee's not sitting next week, so what do these people get arrested? What this weekend and where they held for a week. There's no jail at Parliament House, so they're not going to be sent to the jail this weekend. So it's very unclear what's going to happen here. There's a lot of political games here, but this is something that's never been seen in New South Wales politics. It's all becoming a little bit embarrassing for everybody involved. To be honest, there are important issues here of transparency and accountability. At the moment we're not seeing a lot of that. But whether we actually see five government staffers thrown in jail. They're not going to be in Long Bay, I guarantee you that, but it could get quite spicy over the next couple of days. If you see something on the roads, let me know about it. Send me a text message zero four s X zero eight seven three eight seven three My number one three one eight seven three. This is Sydney now eighteen degrees on the coast at seventeen degrees in Campbelltown. David Bowie there, and I've a Davis why my special guest after five o'clock. Of course, the founder of the lead singer from ice House turns out David Bowie, the late David bow who was a big fan of either. I'll ask him how did that come about? Yes, it is, let's bring a dog, David dog to work day. I think you can bring your cat if you've got a pussy cat as well, but it's bringing your dog. Now. We've got a couple in the studio. But I've been going around the office just before the start of the show, none of the two GB staff decided to bring their puppy into work. Just let me know if you work in an office, or maybe you work in a shop, perhaps you're in a factory. Did anybody actually bring their dog to work today? Did it get in the way of what you're actually We love to hear from you. One three one eight seven three's our number on this big cyber scam. So sixteen billion login credentials have been leaked and now put into the one place. Michael, you've received a warning, have you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Any know?
Speaker 6: There you are?
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 9: I yeah, I locked on the Facebook there last night and you come up with a warning to say that someone from Sydney was logging into my account. The problem is that I live in Brisbane. So I jumped out and then I went back in again and the same warning came up by instantly saying someone from Sydney is trying to log into your account. I thought, oh, that's something's going on air, so I changed the logged out, changed the password. But yeah, I thought that was a bit suspicious. And then when I heard that news today, I thought, oh, that's what's going on probably.
Speaker 2: And that's really all you can do. It's it's probably not much point contacting Facebook directly. I know they do have that option there, but it's not like they're going to get straight back in contact with you and look at your individual account.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 9: And the problem is isn't like you know, with the passwords like you need, like it. You don't at hundred passwords for each each scene you use, like you have to go through and change them all like this, Some of them. I don't even know.
Speaker 2: That's what. That's Trevor's recommendation. Change your passwords. But the critical one is don't use the same password for your bank account for anything else in an effort to protect your finances, don't use that password. I think that's the best advice that Trevor Long was able to give us. Okay, could these parliamentary staff members really be sent to jail? I don't. I don't think they're going to go to jail. I think they'll be held in an office in Parliament until they can give evidence to this committee. But Steve on the text line zero for six zero eight seven three eight seven to three, he's got an idea for a punishment for the staff members if they are arrested. He says they can be forced to be support as a Cowboys games in Sydney for two years because not a lot of Cowboy supporters travel, and Steve says, even as a Cowboys supporter, I think this would be punishment enough to put them through that. Well, I can confirm at least two of those staff members are staunch Bulldog supporters. They don't like the Cowboys. I assure you the Premier is the bulldog supporter as well. They're Bulldog supporters. They will not be going to Cowboys games. The kids at Fairfield High School have been allowed to go home now, it's three thirty Earlier they had to be evacuated from their classroom. There was a gas odor that was wafting over much of the school and the staff and were pretty concerned about it. They couldn't figure out what this mysterious odor was. They brought in Fire and Rescue New South Wales and their crews were trying to figure out what was the source of this smell. They're looking at a couple of different options at the moment, not sure whether it maybe had something to do with the science lab for instance. They don't know yet. The classrooms had to be evacuated. Fortunately now, given it's three thirty all the kids have left Fairfield High School for the afternoon. Let's check out news headlines with the latest. Good Afternoon, Katie.
Speaker 12: Fourer Afternoon Clinton. Sydney train services should soon return to normal on the T five line. Workers have finished repairs on a signal wire which was cut at Guildford, with testing now underway. Police are appealing for public help to find a man suspected of being involved in a stabbing in Sydney. CBD Emergency services were called to a bus stop near Wynyard Station, finding a nineteen year old man with wounds to his body. The Foreign Minister admits the decision to shut Australia's embassy in Iran will create logistical challenges. Diplomatic staff and their families have been told to leave the country as military tensions increase and the nation's migration boom could be coming to an end, with the highest number of people recorded leaving the country since the pandemic. Around seventy thousand left in the December quarter, up seven thousand from July last year. In sport, Equestrian's World governing body has launched an investigation into Australian Olympian Heath Rhine after a video emerged appearing to show him repeatedly whipping a horse. Clinton More News at four, Thank you Katie.
Speaker 2: Eighteen degrees in the city. Also eighteen degrees in Bankstown, peter Ford coming up in just a moment. But it is bring your dog to work day, Melinda. Did you take your dog to work?
Speaker 9: Alis and.
Speaker 2: Dog?
Speaker 1: But the onest dog at one agency in Angadeen has our little flare every day.
Speaker 2: Hugo, hugo at the real estate agency in Engandein.
Speaker 9: Yeah, one agency opposite the post office there.
Speaker 13: You probably know it.
Speaker 2: I know the one. I know the one. I'll tell you I'll walk past tomorrow and I'll see if the dog's in residence on a Saturday. Thanks Melinda, sitting now on to GB. Maybe you took your cat to work today? Let me know one three one eight seven three. Rebel Wilson has released a new movie. Doesn't look like the reviews are too good. We talk entertainment with Peter Ford this time every day.
Speaker 1: Hello Peter, Good day Clinton.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're a disastrous The movie is called Brideheart. It's a play on die Hard where a group of women at a hen's night get kidnapped and mayhem ensues. Well, it's looking like it's going to be a disaster for Rebel now. Her last movie that only came out about six seven weeks ago, was called Juliet and Romeo. That also tanked who also got the issue of the movie she directed, called The Dead, which very likely is never going to get released because of legal problems. Rebel's career is a very interesting one and she plays it in a very interesting way. For example, earlier this week she got onto her Instagram and she did a piece influence, a piece I guess you'd call it for the NRMA. Now, she probably would have picked up a quick twenty or thirty grand for doing that, and good luck to us. She's very wealthy, she's invested well in property, but in terms of her movie career, it's not going well. It's now many years since she's had a hit, and the reviews that are coming out for Brideheard are pretty savage and the way they're dealing with her. I read this paragraph to years from The Guardian's review and comparing rebels on screen persona to that of Melissa McCarthy, and they say Wilson just doesn't have those chops. A limited comedic actor who only works in small doses in certain roles, visibly struggling as a straightforward lead, and having made three pitch perfect films with Annakad, they have zero chemistry together and they have the two stars of this Brideheart movie. So look, who knows. People may still go if it's been marketed well. People who don't read reviews may turn up and pay the money and go and see it. So I'll update you next week.
Speaker 2: And now there's dramas with the Golden Girls and a show that was much loved and sadly many of the past stars have now passed away. But it's been revealed there was a lot of hate between two of the big stars.
Speaker 6: Well, it's been known for a long time that Betty White did not get along with the Arthur and vice versa. But now it's kind of got the official seal because the producer of The Golden Girls took part in the panel conference and talked about it, and I think she basically says, they're both as bad as each other. I mean, they came from very different backgrounds. You know, be was a theater star for years and years before she hit it on TV, whereas Betty White came from a radio background, a TV background, mostly as a panelist on shows, not an actress. And there they were starring in this big hit TV show together. In fact, the quote from the producer was it was a very good quote. Actually she said that those two couldn't warm to each other if they were cremated together. And I must say I didn't know the personally, but I had a friend who did know her very very well, and you know, she was a very strange woman. She for example, she never wore shoes, even if you ran through a restaurant, she would go with no shoes on. Hated wearing shoes, and she did hate Betty White, and she did use the most foul language when she described it, and it was two ways. I think from what I can gather, it was more because the Arthur felt that Betty was a fake. You know, Betty White's image was very much as the nice, sweet, funny, goofy lady, and that was not what Betty White was really like. And I think that's why the Arthur didn't like it, because b Arthur was pretty much what you saw you got, you know, dry and candid and pretty frank.
Speaker 2: I can't get have them not wearing shoes ever. I mean, my listeners know this, peep, but I don't wear shoes when I drop my car. I just said, long story, But when I go to a restaurant, I've certainly got shoes on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you.
Speaker 6: Would think a lot of restaurants, might, you know, not let you come in if you've got no shoes on. But I guess if you're a legendary TV stary like b Arthur, you can get away with it.
Speaker 2: I suppose we'll talk on Monday Afternoon's pleasant.
Speaker 1: Until six.
Speaker 5: This is Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on gb You call now one three one seventy three.
Speaker 2: There has been a dramatic drug rate in Ocean Street, Double Bay. This afternoon, the AFP has kicked down the front door of an apartment. They've used a search warrant as part of an ongoing criminal investigation. The Telegraph is reporting an arrest has been made. Police followed a man when he allegedly picked up a quantity of cocaine earlier today. Armed officers dressed in right gear were then seen escorting the man away. This is Double Bay, fairly exclusive part of Sydney. He was escorted away from the property in Handguffsey was loaded into a waiting paddy wagon. Now we don't have any information about charges that have been laid yet, but that man is under arrest. At the same time, I've just been informed about another major drug scam where police have arrested a man at Sydney Airport. Now this relates to an investigation that dates back to twenty twenty four, so last November, where AFP and Border Patrol offices identified thirty international mail packages allegedly containing coke. Well, this has now resulted in the fifty two year old man being arrested. But here's the twist of this story. The fifty two year old man has been arrested to appear in the Downing Center Court. Well today it's been revealed the Downing Center Court, which is the biggest complex of courts in Sydney. It's on the Castle Ray and Liverpool Street intersection in the CBD, won't be open for a month now. There was a burst water made earlier in the week. We were reporting on it and what it's done. It's affected it systems and even security systems within the building that now need repair, so they can't operate the biggest court complex in Sydney for the next four weeks. So great that the AFP has made this arrest, but the person that they've arrested will not be appearing in the Downing Center local court now. In serious crime matters, particularly matters of violence, they will be put before a local court. So it will be okay, but this is going to cause a major delay right throughout the justice system because the Downing Center will be closed for the next month twenty two to four. Clinton Maynard on a beautiful Friday afternoon in the Star of Origin is going to a decider of course, a couple of weeks time to cour Stadium. I've got a double pass to give away. We're going to spin the Winter Wheel a little later in the program. This is not the que to call yet. You'll know when I give you the que to call. You've got to keep listening. But on the wheel as well as some wonderful cash prizes and some great prizes from our sponsors as well. I've got a double pass to go and see State of Origin three at a Core Stadium the ninth of July. It's the hottest ticket in town. You can book via NRL dot com. Man Pole state of Origin, nothing like it, but you can win State of Origin tickets and this will be a sellout this game if you keep listening when we spin the Winter Wheel until six.
Speaker 5: This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one.
Speaker 1: To three one eight seven three.
Speaker 2: The situation with the threat and it's now going beyond that to rest five government staffers who won't appear before a state parliamentary committee. I've made the point that this is unprecedented, this is now uncharted territory. Richard, thank you for your text message, and he says, well, there is a precedent because in nineteen fifty five the Federal Parliament did issue a summons to two reporters of a statements they made to a then House of Representatives member the parliament sentenced the two to six months imprisonment. Well, I wonder whether, because that's in the Federal Parliament, whether that would act as a precedent for the State Partment. Under the rules that there is and I read this rule out on here yesterday, there is a provision within the legislation my reading of it, that there could be jail of up to six months. I don't think it's going to come to that, but we're certainly going to follow that with interest. It is bring your dog to work day? Winnie is in windsor do you bring your dog to work? Winnie?
Speaker 14: Yes, So I've got a little four year old kvoodal. So she comes to the our factory, she comes on site with me, she comes everywhere.
Speaker 2: What do your workmates think about that?
Speaker 14: Oh, well, Lucky only works for mum and dad, so they don't really come much of a say.
Speaker 2: What would happen if your little Kavodle did a whoopsie around the factory?
Speaker 14: Oh? Look, we take her out down for a walk and she goes and sees everyone, and that's when she goes to a toilet. Otherwise she's patrolling downstairs with the boys in the factory, or sitting upstairs watching what's not going on outside.
Speaker 2: Good on you, WINNI thank you, Die says in the text line, I'm a dog outder myself. But what about if people at your workplace have allergies? How are they going to cope with your dog being in the workplace?
Speaker 1: Good question?
Speaker 2: Sixteen to four one three, one eight seven three is our number. Tomorrow, of course Saturday. So many of us spend our Saturday mornings and a lot of time over the weekends taking our kids to sport. I'll be doing that with Nick. We'll taking to soccer tomorrow morning. But the costs of sport, depending on what your kids do, whether it's weekend sport or after school sport, keep going up. And it's so important that your kids play sport, even if your kids aren't really athletic. There are so many benefits for children to be involved in sport. Keeps them healthy, it energizes them, keeps them socially engaged. Well with the cost of living, there are now families who are pulling the kids out of sport. Things like cricket, soccer, footy, netball, particularly rep soccer has been a big issue over the years. There is a trend where average costs are topping five hundred dollars a year. The Guardians reported that between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two, physical activity has fallen. Weekly sport participation for kids has fallen from seventy point three percent of all children to fifty three point six percent now. At the same time, if you cast your mind back now more than two years ago, two and a half years ago, the former state government provided vouchers, so it's a cash handout to encourage parents to spend money on their kids in sport. And the government, the labor government, they made a big cup back there. It's now means tested and it only applies to a reasonably small percentage of the population.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Cuts had to be made, but it has meant that some families have pulled their kids out of sport or they've tried to find a cheaper option. Claire Row is a leading child psychologist and joins me to talk about this.
Speaker 1: Hello Claire, Hello Clinton, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Look, I know, particularly with kids, families who have more than one child. I know some families have actually made cutbacks. How do you think it impacts a family?
Speaker 14: Yeah, well it does.
Speaker 10: I mean parents are paying now reportedly of five hundred dollars on average for their children in sport.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 10: I'm a dance Muma Clinton, so five hundred dollars is actually quite cheap for me, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: But I'm a tennis dad, and five hundred dollars as cheap as well for tennis.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and look, this is before anyone buys equipment, balls and boots and uniforms and everything else. So it is a lot of money. And imagine if you had a couple of kids doing that. So it is a big issue. And I think that these vouchers, a lot of them actually go unused because they're one hundred dollars vouches for families.
Speaker 6: But when you've got sport.
Speaker 10: Costing over five hundred, families still can't afford it. And I think again, I think it's an example of seeing government throwing away token measures at big problems. Here dollars to fix it is not going to do it.
Speaker 2: But the new Southwise government ended up pulling back on that program quite substantially. A couple of years ago, and one of the reasons was it and they did site that a lot of the vouchers weren't used, and they believe the money could be redirected to more worthy causes. I guess what concerns me is that we keep talking so much about the amount of screen time our kids are exposed to. This is a way to get kids away from screens.
Speaker 10: Oh absolutely, And obviously there's the benefits for their physical health, of endurance, of coordination, of supporting lifelong physical.
Speaker 6: Activity keeps in play sport.
Speaker 4: Get used to using.
Speaker 10: Physical activity as adults as a stress relief for mood regulation. We know that playing sport reduces kids' risk of mental health issues. They're less likely to experience depression and anxiety, and I think that's probably a combination of the physical activity itself, but also the really important social connections, the friendship, the teamwork, the belonging. And I worry that when sports become too costly, we actually risk losing kids who are in the need of that belonging and that sense of identity, because I think sports really do keep a lot of kids on the straight and arrow, right.
Speaker 15: It gives them.
Speaker 10: Structure and routine, and I think, particularly during those high risk adolescent years, being part of a team connects kids with role models and mentors outside of the family home, and so it's far more important beyond just the physical needs of getting exercise.
Speaker 2: What about parents who have kids who aren't particularly physical kids, or they're not competitive kids, they don't really care about team sports. Why is it important for them to still be involved in some sort of physical or sporting activity.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I think you don't have to necessarily play something that is highly competitive. And perhaps that's where we need some investment into community structures and outreach to group where it just brings kids together simply to teach them to have fun doing physical activity and playing together. And you know, the fact that we've gotten to this stage where we need to actually provide that infrastructure and funding to do that is quite sad. But as you said, the reality is is that if we don't do that, in its place will be a very sedentary lifestyle for our kids. Kids on screens every afternoon after school, and we don't want that. So look, I would encourage parents to say there are activities sports out there, whether it be.
Speaker 1: Even individual sports.
Speaker 10: You're still around other kids, doesn't have to be a team sports. Some kids get put off by the team nature of it, but just being involved in some type of physical activity where you were around others, and many times these days, in many sports and activities there are often alternatives and streams where it is non competitive and you don't have to go to that more elite level of competition. And that's fine for some kids. That's you know, it's not just all about winning. Is as I said about belonging.
Speaker 2: There's plenty of benefits there. Thank you, Claire.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Claire Row, who's a child psychologist, will share your experience with me. Have you had to cut back in the activities your children are doing or your grandchildren are doing? Do you simply rely on what happens in school? Is what the school offers, and it does vary from school to school, is what the school offers? Good enough, I'd be intrigued to hear from you one three, one eight seven three. You know, I'm really unfortunately I can afford to put my kids into sport and with varying success. And I've got to say that my oldest daughter, for instance, has very little interest in any sport, and we've had a bit of a battle with her to convince her to do some things, and it's not that cheap. But we convinced her to take up rock climbing about six months ago.
Speaker 1: Loves it.
Speaker 2: So sometimes it's a matter of trying to find the right thing. So from a financial point of view, you might be able to land rock climbs, might that cheap, but you might be able to find something that is cheaper than other options. It might not be a team sport. It could be a team sport. But in my view, anything to get the kids off the d xbox, anything to get them off the phone, even if it's just for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning, it's a good thing. And I know the government had to make cutbacks, but I think it was one of the programs the previous government had, the Active Kids vouchers that had some value, the Key to Hear experiences one three, one eight seven three. We spent a lot of time in the last couple of months talking about insurance premiums, how they've gone through the roof, particularly for home insurance. I've got to play my car insurance next week. That's ridiculous for an old car that I have. One of our listeners Jason's just sent me a text message. Well, what the state gover could do was put the heat on the insurance companies who were milking junior codes, sporting codes for liability cover. That's pushing up the costs of membership. Great point. We should speak with one of the insurance companies in the next week. One three, one, eight, seven, threes and number It is Fresh Food Friday, thanks to our mates at Harra's Farm Market's proud partner of this program. Carlos Cerrevello is the head of buying at Harri's Farm Markets.
Speaker 1: Hello Carlo, good afternoon, cut and how are we going on?
Speaker 2: I'm good because it's beautiful weather outside. Does that mean now there's lots of good fruit right now?
Speaker 6: Oh, there's twenty stuff on offering fruit this week.
Speaker 16: Clinton bananas are amazing and plentiful and excellent eating. If you love mandarines. The mandarine season is well and truly in full swing and great from the you know, the Imperials coming out of the South now a top quality, but Murcott's and Daisy mandarins are also great eating. As you know, we're in the middle of our apple season in Australia and we've did the apple, The Bravo apple is an amazing eating apple and good value this week. WB hass avocados are a great value and really really good eating at the moment. And naval oranges, you know, get a free kilow bag excellent value this week.
Speaker 2: A tasty to the naval oranges. What about veggies.
Speaker 17: Veggies, well, you can't go past.
Speaker 16: Red caps are still great value, in particular our net red caps good old fashioned loose speech. It is on offer this weekend in all stores. Trin pat Cos is amazing quality and amazing value. The good old fashioned hardy carrot is really good quality and good value this week. And herb there really surprisingly abundant.
Speaker 4: For this time of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, a few weekend specials for.
Speaker 16: US Clinton this week, we got to give everybody an early preview of summer, and we're going to run US cherries from the Washington State. Luckily for US, they are ara free and at a great price. So we're running US cherries at twenty four to ninety nine, which is a great price. And you know, let everyone get out of the winter blues and start thinking what a possible.
Speaker 6: Summer may look like.
Speaker 16: Bananas are amazing again, less that we keep running them every weekend at two ninety nine they're fantastic. Daisy Mandarin's two forty nine, that's a great price and Lous Beecher at two seventy five an only but a goldie.
Speaker 2: Good on your Carlo will be in the shops this weekend.
Speaker 1: Look forward to it.
Speaker 2: Catch you then, Cala Ceravolo, who's the head of fresh buying at Harris Farmer Markets. Harris Farm Markets fifty years of providing the fresh of fruits, veggies and meats and they're still family owned as well. Find you near a store at harrisfarm dot com dot au, Sydney. Now, have you had to think about pulling your kid out of sport because of the rising cost? What do we do about it?
Speaker 13: Hello?
Speaker 2: Anthony?
Speaker 17: Yeah, Clentin good after them mate?
Speaker 1: How are you good?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Just a quick one. With the current changing government, my wife and I used to previously get the active kid vouchers, created kid vouchers and the like yep, and obviously the men's government pulled that out. And because both of us are working, will we exceed the income?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: And I have two teenagers in rugby league, soccer, netball, dancing. The kids are still playing but that's something to consider next time we go to the the piling moves.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, the Cowlish was campaigning on it fairly heavily, probably about eight months ago. It seems to have dropped off their radar at the moment. I think my text message from Jason made a great point. We probably should focus on the insurance and why these costs are so expensive. Thank you. Anthony Kate makes a good point of the text message as well. She says when those vouchers were being used, a lot of the sporting clubs actually introduced new registration fees, an increased fee in line with the vouchers, so the cost simply increased in that way. Fair point one three one eight seven three. We can take more calls after the news. We're also going to have a look after four o'clock at the future of Northern Beaches Hospital.
Speaker 1: There is Sydney. Now we've clinton.
Speaker 2: On TG seven past four. I've got good news for you. Train services have now resumed on the T five train line, so they weren't running a little earlier between Cabramatter and Granville. In fact, they've been affected on the T two, the T three and the T five throughout the day. It's been the T five that's taken a long time to get the services back up and running. But just some confirmation I've now been given from the authorities. The service has resumed between Cabramatter and Granville on the T two Leppington and in the West Line and the T five Cumberland Line. The afternoon peak though is still going to have some issues, so you're still going to face delays. Buses are still going to be used to supplement the trains. What happened if you're just catching up with this earlier today, some ninc and poop has pulled out the scissors. In fact, there would have been more than scissors and cut cables at Guildford. These were signaling cables, essential cables that you need to run the train network. Suggestion from the transferitister John Graham to my colleague Mark Levy was this person was after copper.
Speaker 18: Apparently the kicker here though, Mark, is there's no copper in these wives. Not only are these idiots not getting any copper, they're disadvantaging the whole network. Any commuter trying to move around this part of Sydney to no game.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the idiots have not yet been found. But the good news is the trains are going to start coming back online. It's going to take probably an hour or so for the regular services to recommence, but you'll find if you're trying to travel on the T two and T five services thankfully are resuming.
Speaker 5: Sitney Now on to GV.
Speaker 2: Seven three is my number. Don't forget we're going to spin the winter wheel a little later in the program. Listen out for the queue to call. Gladys Barrey Jiclian was one of our most popular premiers now I know, whenever I mention her name, all rising figure these days. A lot of people still love Gladys. A lot of people are glad she's gone. The reason she's gone, as you'll recall, is she had a long term relationship that none of us knew about. She kept its secret from the world with Daryl McGuire. Well, Daryl McGuire has been in court today. Josh Bryant is our court reporter. Josh, what's occurred?
Speaker 1: Good afternoon, Clinton.
Speaker 15: Yes, that's right. A former news off Liberal MP, the former member for Wagga Woga, Daryl McGuire, today found guilty of giving misleading evidence to the corruption watchdog Now This single charge relates to evidence that he gave to IKAK during a twenty eighteen investigation regarding Canterbury City Council. So found guilty today. Was a bit of confusion early, in part caused by the flooding that's causing significant disruptions at Sydney's Downing Center. He was in a busy courtroom with media and dozens and dozens of of other lawyers and was told that this decision was in fact not coming down until October. It would have to be adjourned. However, as it turns out, the magistrate who heard the hearing earlier this year in this case was waiting in another courtroom ready to hand down her decision, and so once she found out that the parties had been elsewhere, because that's where it was initially listed, she called them back and delivered that guilty verdict.
Speaker 2: So and he has faced numerous IKAC investigations over the years. This is a separate ICAC that was earlier before the issues with Gladysbury.
Speaker 1: Jiglian correct.
Speaker 15: This is a charge relating to evidence that he gave in twenty eighteen before the Independent Commission against Corruption.
Speaker 2: How long could he be sentenced for can he be sentenced to jail, Josh.
Speaker 15: Off the top of my head, I believe it's two years at a local court level for this charge. So that's for the most serious form. But it is a possibility based on this charge that he's been found guilty.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the sentencing will be in August. Just on the broader issue. As I mentioned in the last hour, Josh, that Downing Center court complex, the words come through today that it's not going to be operational for a month that he has been said in store. So what is going to happen with all the cases that are due to appear for those courts.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so obviously, I guess it's a moving feast. We were originally told earlier this week they thought it might be for the remainder of the week. Now they're saying the damage to their electricity and the IT systems is so extensive that it's likely going to be at least four weeks before it can be back up and running. Now, the good news the City schol system is the JMT where the hearings today were heard, which is sort of attached to the back of the Downing Center, is back open and is able to operate in some capacity. There are other courts, but now they need to look at what courtrooms are available. They're prioritizing those trials and matters involving people who are in custody as opposed to people who are out on bail until their matter is finalized, and then it's just going to be a day by day matter of finding you availability for courtwards and the legal practitioners adjourning them until they can be heard. And it remains to be seen. I guess how we deal with once the Downing Center's back open, what those matters that were listed for all of July is going to be. Are they going to be a journ Are they going to try and pick up in August and just find new days for the July? Is everything going to shift by four weeks? So this is a you know, the court system is already run to a very tie schedule and there can be some very lengthy delays when it comes to availability for not just the courts but also the lawyers who are in multiple matters. So four weeks like this is going to have a significant impact, not just for the next couple of weeks, but for the months ahead.
Speaker 2: It'll be absolute mess. Thank you Josh.
Speaker 1: Thanks lindin our Court, reported Josh.
Speaker 2: Bryant, twelve past four Word on the Street Thanks to Temper a great night's sleep night after night. The difference is Temper. If you see something that we need to know about around Sydney, send me a text message zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three. If there's a matter you'd like us to investigate, you can email me across the weekend and it can be something we look at next week. We've had some big issues at the last couple of weeks, particularly conturning department stores and buses. They've come from word on the street, tips, word on the street. Just send me an email to gb dot com. I've got lots of feedback on the issue of the expense of children's sport at the moment. Chris says, I'm on the committee of a local sporting club in the Hills District. Now the majority of the registration fees actually goes to the governing bodies. We as the club tend to make a loss. It is things like field higher insurance running the competition. We then get the leftovers. It's way too high and something needs to change. Thank you, Chris. Linda's in Irmington. She says, Look, it's not any week in sport that's more expensive. Some school sports are now putting large fees on playing interschool sport because the need to get the buses. A friend said it's actually cheap for her daughter to play on the weekend that is with interschool sport. You'd think it'd be the other way around. Thirteen past four, the state government today has moved to speed up the process of bringing the public element of the North Beach's Hospital, which is operated by Healthscope, back under control of the state government. Now you know, we've focused a lot on this issue on the station over the past couple of months following the tragic death of Joe Massa. Joe Masson may well be alive if the Northern Beach's Emergency Department was not operated by a private operator, because let's be clear, they took shortcuts when they put that department together. Software system wasn't up to speed. As we've been reporting. Healthscope, the owners of the hospital, they're an administration and they've put their hand up and they've told the State government, yes, we want to do a deal, we want to negotiate change here, but it's not easy and Daniel look is involved in the negotiation as the treasure At the moment, it's going to drag out and drag out. Well. The government today has announced they're going to make some adjustments, some amendments to legislation that's been introduced by the Independent Member for Wakehurst, Michael Reagan, and the Government is saying what this would do. It would mean that they would then have the ability to basically take control. They'd be a to step in effectively, and yes there would still be an independent body that would decide on how much Healthscape would pay, but effectively, if these negotiations just keep if they're not resolved, the govern will step in. Michael Reagan joins us Olho.
Speaker 4: Michael good afternoon, sir.
Speaker 2: Your legislation's before Parliament next week. Daniel Mookie and Ryan Park have announced these amendments today. Is this a good step?
Speaker 4: I think it's a great step because we're all over waiting for this negotiation to continue. It's in the hands of receivers who are no out slowing this process down and as the Treasurer put it, looking at ten hundreds of millions of dollars potentially out of future profits and that's just not right, because they're trying to use the terms of the crappy deed and PPP that was signed.
Speaker 2: I made the point when this story first broke and when health Scope put their hands up and said, look, this is before they went Toto administration. I made the point this was going to be a very long and drawn out process because there'll be after money and then down your Look, you made it clear that he wasn't going to let them profit from it. Are you confident this is going to actually speed it up?
Speaker 4: I think so because from what the way it's been presented to myself as a person who introduced to Bill on the basis that like they've said to us, Healthcoverer said, we don't want to get a windfall game, but we want to do this to the terms of.
Speaker 17: The deed.
Speaker 4: Well, the deed says you get a windfall gain. So like, well, you're either fared income or you're not. So I've said, bugo that I'm putting in a piece of legislation cause your bluff. That's happened. And so the Treasurer and the Minister have looked at it and said we need some other amendments of this to essentially say that the because it is dragging out now, they're not doing this in good faith in the public view at least and from what we can see and where these amendments seek to say that the Ryan can step in and say the mist and say right, I'm taking this over as packing the public and the treasure separately, with an independent person can look at what if any compensation will be made available so we can get on with returning it back in the public hands faster. And that's the key it, I guess, and that's the way it's being presented to myself. And that's why at the moment I can't see any reason why not to support it, because Quinton, you would know, the nurses and the staff there in particular are really suffering and they're copying this big time, and they've got their own wages dispute. They got unpaid wages claim with fair work. It just goes on when they can I end they're getting paid less than the current public nurses, so and they're getting paid less than their own counterparts in Queensland, like it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't have a great deal of confidence after you speaking with Daniel Mookie last week on this show, Michael that if he makes a saving in this area he's going to throw out towards the nurses. He's now put it over to the Industrial Relations Commission. But I agree the sentiment should mean the nurses get some more money. I doubt that's going to happen, But I appreciate you campaigning on this because I think it's such an important issue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do it too, and I just don't want the news of ours taxpayers. But just at the Northern Beaches is that the news Wales taxpayers not giving contributing a cent to what's gone on there because this is about put profit ahead of patient care and that's been demonstrated time and time and again. Wait to start reading this admissions as they come through the latest poment. It is shocking. That's coming from those who are inside, those who are dealing with on a daily basis, and they're telling their stories and it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Good on you, Michael. Michael Reagan who's the member for Wakehurst. Look, as I've explained, I think there's a really important role for the private sector in health. If we didn't have private hospitals, the public system would collapse. It wouldn't be able to cope to look how far behind they are an elective surgery at the moment. The last figures that were released a fortnite ago show a massive blowout. But when it comes to the emergency service, that has to be in public hands because if there's ever going to be a profit motive, and that's they're a business, that's what they're about. They're not there to help us. So be honest, what's a business there for. It's there to make money, particularly if you're owned by a a private equity bob. Their motive is to make money, fair enough, But when it comes to emergency services, there should never be a profit motive involved. Twenty two past fourth the latest in the Middle East, five people have been injured after an a rainy missile strike has hit a bock of apartments in the south of Israel in the city of Beshiba. The strike has caused a lot of damage to the apartment block and surrounding areas. Apparently fires are burning. I'm just having to look at some social media photos here as well. Fires burning just on the outside of this apartment block. Looks like quite a few cars are a light from the vision that I'm seeing, with a lot of black smoke. So this is in the south of Israel. It is because of an Iranian missile strike. Five people have reportedly been injured. Now three thousand Australians are on this list that they would like to be evacuated from either Israel or Iram. News today that our embassy in Tehran, the capital, has now been closed, and I think it's a surprise to some people that we are actually operating an embassy in the Iranian capital. Penny Wong, our Foreign Minister, today has confirmed that descent defense assets and that will include planes headed to the Middle East.
Speaker 19: To assist the government's efforts and support Australians leave seeking to leave the region.
Speaker 10: Eighty F personnel and aircraft are being deployed to the Middle East.
Speaker 1: As part of Operation Beach twenty twenty five.
Speaker 14: I also emphasize that we are sending defense assets to help Australians.
Speaker 2: They are not there for combat, so these ADF planes could be used for evacuation. The details they aren't yet known. Sydney now on to gb In the next week, there's going to be a huge movie launched in right across the world. The Red Carpet was this week and the reviews are starting to come out, and that's the F one movie starring Brad Pitt, and it's going to be a really big deal. Now you know that I'm biased. I'm a big F one fan and I will go and see.
Speaker 1: It next week.
Speaker 2: But I've been reading some of the reviews, and the reviews, lets me say, are mixed at best. The world premiere look fairly impressive.
Speaker 4: The only player you could see if you're when you are the absolute best.
Speaker 1: In the world.
Speaker 2: So that's part of the trailer. They had the premiere in New York and a lot of the Formula One drivers were there. The key to this movie is the visual because it's actually been filed at Grand Prixx. It did a lot of filming at Silverstone last year during the British Grand Prix, and Brad Pitt plays a much older driver who'd retired years ago and they pull him out of retirement to drive for this fictational team. And as part of the way they've built them, they've developed movie and filmed it. It was quite smart. They had the approval of those that run Formula One and so they created, for instance the British Grand Prix last year, an extra pit garage and they actually had a car that was built and was built on an F two car, but they had real car there and it would take up the eleventh spot on Pitt Lane, and there Brad Pitt would be walking down Pitt Lane and say oscar piastre Our Formula one driver would walk past him and you see this in the movie. So apparently visually it's quite stunning, I'm told though when it comes to the storyline, probably not that flash. It's being directed by the same guy who did the Top Gun sequel Top Gun Maverick, which actually thought was pretty good. I think it'd be a shame because you think about the great sporting movies of the past. There's been so many cracking sporting movies, including racing movies. There was a movie Car I would have been maybe ten twelve years ago, Rush, which was made by Ron Howard, and that was great. It was about Nicki Lauder from the nineteen seventies taking on James Hunt would have been the nineteen seventy six years. It was great. But do you think about the sporting movies that have come out over the years. Jerry Maguire, Show Me Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding Junior. There's been plenty of others you might want to nominate one, one, three, one eight seven three if you've got a favorite sporting movie. So there's gonna be a lot of hype about the Formula one movie in the next week. I will go and see it, but just be warned. The reviews are mixed on the future of the Northern Beaches Hospital and the way this will work. There'll still be a private hospital there, but the part that is operated by health Scope sooner or later will be operated by the state government in New South Wales. Health Diana asked the question, my daughter in law is employed by health Scope at the Northern Beach's Hospital. She's done nothing wrong her job, and let me assure you doing it. This is not a criticism of the good staff there. Thev had to put up with, for instance, shoddy software at that hospital. What's going to happen to her? She'll still have a job because whether it's in the private part of the hospital or the public part, they're desperate for nurses, so we'll depend where she's working. If it's in the emergency for instance, she would then likely have her job transferred to New South Wales Health. I'm getting lots of feedback about your favorite sporting movies. With the f one movie being released on Thursday, I'll come to that in the moment, but let's check in his headlines and later as Katie Foller Good Afternoon.
Speaker 12: Clinton Former MP Darryl Maguire has been found guilty of misleading the Corruption Watchdog after earlier confusion stemming from the flooding damage to the Downing Center. A magistrate handed down her verdict in the matter relating to his evidence as a witness at IKAC. In twenty eighteen, two friends have helped save the life of a motorcycle rider who caught a light after crashing his bike into a tree in Sydney's West. One of them used their own clothes to put out the flames. A measles alert has been issued for Sydney after a passenger returned from Vietnam while infectious on Monday morning, and an independent report has found as social media ban for under sixteen's can be achieved. A trial has found age verification technology is private, robust and effective. In sport, Rabbitdo's coach Wayne Bennett has confirmed the club will be re signing veteran vive eighth Cody Walker the thirty five year olds has been ruled out of tomorrow night's clash with Melbourne due to a groin injury. Clinton More News.
Speaker 2: At five, Thanks Katie. Fifteen degrees in the City, sixteen degrees at Holsworthy at the moment. Get ready, Sydney. The second annual Emergency Services matches on this Sunday with the Roosters taking on the Cowboys at Alian Stadium. I'm talking to Luke Grant shortly. He'll be there as a mad Rooster. He'll be there for sure. Help celebrate our heroic emergency services here in New South Wales. One lucky fam will win a brand new byd C Line six vy at forty two thy nine to ninety Driver Avenue will come alive with interactive displays from all late emergency services. So if you get to the stadium early you can actually you walk along Drive Revenue, that's the between all the parklands and the SCG and Alliance Stadium. You'll see all the emergency services setting up with their marquees there if you get there early. The New South Wales Police Australian Firefighters Fundraisert Curtain Raiser games on there as well from three point thirty, the RFS helicopter is going to touch down the field in a spectacular pregame tribute halftime. All the emergency services all be honored with a special on field recognition. Kids. Tickets are only five dollars. Secure your seats now at Ticketech. Roosters versus Cowboys, This Sunday is more than a game. It is a celebration of everyday heroes. Where we are talking sporting movies and this one from Mary Chariots of Fire Probe doesn't get much bigger than Chariots of Fire. Will come to a couple of your nominations. Joe's in Westmead, Joe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good? Your favorite sporting movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Forty two?
Speaker 2: Forty two?
Speaker 20: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Forty two.
Speaker 2: What's that about that?
Speaker 17: A baseball movie?
Speaker 2: Baseball movie like.
Speaker 6: African Americans trying to play basically, I might have to check it out.
Speaker 2: Good on your Joe. Glenn's in Penrith, Hello, Glenn.
Speaker 21: Clinton.
Speaker 2: There you're going, I'm good, my friend.
Speaker 22: That's good. Lemon with Steve McQueen.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a classic. There's been some good racing movies over the here, actually, haven't they.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that's that's one of my best mates.
Speaker 1: There was one.
Speaker 2: There was a couple of years ago a Ferrari movie I think it was just called Ferrari. That was pretty good. Yes, and then there was a Ford versus Ferrari where it was all about the the GT forty they developed over the years forward.
Speaker 7: That's another one.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been some crackers. They good on you. Glenn Stewart says, what about Happy Gilmour good one? Well, is this one the number one of all time? Sylvesta, Delane and Rocky.
Speaker 1: That'll probably open to me up there until six.
Speaker 5: This is Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one to three, one.
Speaker 2: Eighty seven, three, twenty five to five. Look, the last few months has been so hard for our mid North Coast and Hunter Valley with the floods, and we were broadcasting live from Tari a couple of months ago. As you know, local clubs do so much for our community, particularly in times of need. They set up, for instance, evacuation centers and they did so during the floods. Last night their work was recognized with the twenty twenty five Clubs and Community Awards which are held here in Sydney. Among the award winners was Club Tarree, which acted as an evacuation center during the floods. Over the past decade, Club Tarre the Community Team has raised more than one point three million dollars for local charities and collectively they're volunteered fifteen thousand hours. They received an award the Heart of the Community category. Paul Allen is the CEO of Club Tarre. Paul, congratulations, mate.
Speaker 19: Thank you quin, what a night it was. It's always great to get a get with other clubs and celebrate the great and titleist work that clubs do within our community.
Speaker 2: Tell me about the floods of a couple of weeks ago, what role would the club play?
Speaker 19: Yeah, so the club was stood up as evacuation center. That's role we played many times before. And look, our job is to welcome people, I guess, in the most horrendous of situations, the most trendous circumstances, and offer them somewhere safe and somewhere somewhere I guess that they're familiar with. As everyone knows, clubs are a place of connection and a place where you go to get a helping hand or or a bit of comrade and even in those difficult and very confronting times. We are that place that people go to and it's a role that we have an honor. We're honored honor to play.
Speaker 2: And I imagine some of your staff were directly affected by the floods.
Speaker 19: Look, some of our staff were directly affected. We've got a team of lady three. We were down to seventeen through the number that we're isolated. But in the saying that, we also had three staff that actually lost lost everything in the flow. Two of those still came to work every day to help other victims. And I guess that's just any indication of the resilience of club teams and knowing the role that they've got to play in the community at those times the need.
Speaker 2: How are your members, people who come to the club on a Friday night or weetns as well, how are they doing at the moment after what they've been through.
Speaker 19: Yeah, Look, it's it's hard. I mean, still very much in the recovery phase. And unfortunately, you drive around town and you just know that recovery phase it's going to be months, if not unfortunately for years. Particularly a lot of a lot of the farming farming for farming areas and a lot of retail and certainly a lot of homes have been lost there as well. But look, the town is certainly hurting, but again as we are everyone, everyone really is in and the supports and there's sen been some very very heartwarming stories out there. Office of Heal often look financial health as well as as well as manpower hours and competing hog and homebook meals and every form of way that you can help has been given to us in Tarre and we're all very.
Speaker 2: Grateful for We were still thinking of you, Paul, and we're checking with some of the victims regularly as well, and we're hoping there'll be a bit more government assistance down the track. Also, Hey, congratulations for winning the Heart of the Community category award.
Speaker 19: Thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Good on your poor Paul Allen, who's the Club Tari CEO. And you think about it's also volunteers during times of emergencies, whether it's the SEES or the real fire service. Where would we be as a community without all the work those sort of people put in. Where would you be, well, you'd be relying even more on government to put cash in. I'm doing text messages about children's sport, whether it's become too expensive for you to keep your kids or your grandkids in children's sport. Dean says, Look, one of the real frustrations is washouts and then no refund. My daughter last year soccer to play half the season and there was no refund. Look credit to where my daughter goes to tennis. Their tennis term is supposed to end this week, but there's been a washout, so they're going to put an extra lesson on next week. That helps a bit if it matters.
Speaker 5: To you, you'll hear it here Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard until six.
Speaker 2: Population data has been released this week, and you recall during the election and has been occurring for the last year or so, both sides of politics have made big promises about reducing immigration. Well guess what, of course, the population has increased. So where are their promises that Luke Grand's going to tackle this issue across the weekend? Hello, Luke.
Speaker 17: Clinton, I just want to tackle this issue, but I think there's now a more pressing issue. If I can just go back to your bosh washing machine. If I heard right, you're up to your daughters for changing their clothes every day, and you confess to your listeners that you'll get a couple of days out of yours. I don't know if that include garments but not the under Then then you went on to talk about hand or a stubborn stains. Mate, if if I just you know, you live your life the way you want her. But i'd be encouraging your daughters to change their clothes daily. And I'm now to your audience and maybe those family members listening, I'm encouraging them to encourage you to change your clothes a bit more frequently, particularly your undergarment.
Speaker 2: Can we encourage them to main o children to start doing the washing themselves.
Speaker 17: Well, that's that's entirely the matter for you. I don't want to cause dramas at home because I know you'll do your walk and say, hey, I was having a chat to a colleague today down I what's his name?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 17: That goes no way, Dad, I'm not doing it. No, No, I don't. I don't want to be part of that. But isn't it funny a commercial for a washing machine can reveal so much about an individual And people didn't know this about you year before now, but now they do.
Speaker 2: At least I'm admitting that I'm the one with the Staines.
Speaker 17: Made the ABS put out figures yesterday that drew to a close the accounting for twenty twenty four. So this is as of December thirty one, twenty twenty four, and the population is now about twenty seven point four million. They say, but despite as you mentioned before, the promises, particularly from government and the opposition made a similar point that they're going to tackle net overseas migration. It seems to me that the only number that helps justify kicking the graph back to the long term average. Remember the long term averages around one hundred thousand people a year, and you might say, well it goes back, and it does go back decades and it was different.
Speaker 4: It certainly was.
Speaker 17: But they promised, they made a promise, and this is not about race or about religion. You know, you don't care where people come from. So they want to come to Australia and they suits and you know, open the door when you come. But the problem is the federal government says yes, and the state governments have to pick up the costs. That's how it works, and there's no payment from the government, the federal to the state are. You know, there's one hundred thousand next of people in New South Wales this year through overseas migration, so he's a payment. There's none of that and it results in, you know, more competition in the housing market. Now that's okay, except that we build one hundred and thirty thousand homes a year, and to get to the government's target, we need to build two hundred and twenty thousand homes a year. I mean, that's more than we've ever built. People say it's great to have a target year, but it's got to be achievable, and what the federal governments put out there is completely not achievable. The annual growth and population last year was four undred and forty five thousand people. One hundred and five thousand people natural increase. We now that means net overseas migrations one hundred and forty thousand, but which is still high. Right before the pandemic, a figure of around two hundred thousand. We thought the government then the Liberal government was playing it a bit. Well, it's still one hundred and something thousand more than that time. There's been more people leave us to here. But as I went through the figures, what astonished me because they break them down by state and they look at interstate migration. New South Wales over the year lost twenty five thousand people. No other state lost anything like that, And I found myself asking the question why and where.
Speaker 20: Do you go?
Speaker 2: Well a lot of we go to Queensland. And Chrismin's has been banging on about this when he talks about the housing issue, that Sydney's becoming unaffordable and this is why it is important to address it. Even though people like you and me we've been in the housing market for years. That's not going to affect us. But if our if our kids, if our grandkids can't afford to live, for you, where does the next generation of workers come for us?
Speaker 17: Yeah? Yeah, well look and that's that's fine. And after they're elected last time, ALBO had that work schools job summit thing and they said, oh, okay, well, through migration we're bringing in school workers. Why do we If that's the case, why are you building one hundred and thirty thousand homes only?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Exactly what skills are we bringing in here?
Speaker 17: And you know what are they doing?
Speaker 2: Not the right not the right ones? Hey, what's coming up on the program this weekend.
Speaker 17: Is that you giving me that wind up?
Speaker 1: Is it? We've got a we've got.
Speaker 2: A big, big, big final part of the hour coming up that you want to You're.
Speaker 1: Going to want to hear it.
Speaker 17: Dennis, Okay, Dennis Shanahan. We'll go to Israel and expect to a lawyer I've been talking to born in Australia living in Israel. She's got three adult children in the Israeli Army. We'll talk to Lisa Segelov about living in Tel Aviv with all that's going on there and how remarkable I was here a bloke called next Smith. Lots of people do this. He was a successful engineer, a young bloke. He quit his job look after his mum after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He's got an incredible story to share with us on Sunday Morning. All that and more on weekends. Clinton Maynard, Well.
Speaker 2: So proven the rushing you, Luke. I know you'll be talking to Jim Haynes this weekend about I think something that a lot of Sydney side has missed. The drive in cinema.
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, you would. You would have been a radical the driver in your time wouldn't you know what.
Speaker 2: Would happen in the back of the Corona station wagon. Right in the back of the Corona station wagon, we had blankets, so Mum and Dad would hide me and my brother there and then so they didn't have to fork out for the babysitters. We all go to the drive in the Tarran Point when they had the Tarrant Point driving us now Bunnings and the Machers, and they wouldn't have to pay for us because we were hiding under the blankets. But we weren't watching anyway.
Speaker 17: Okay, fair enough, But isn't it funny? You see, it's what you get, what you learned, what you've learned as a kid. So you've you've learned that it's okay to rip off a drive in by five bucks whatever it wants back in the day, and that's something you've carried through today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see, I can't I can't do it myself because there are no drivings or it's one, isn't there. I think it's Blacktown, isn't it.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: We'll be listening tomorrow morning. Here made look Grant Saturday and Sunday from nine to one.
Speaker 1: G V Winter Wheel.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see if we can give away some cash and great prizes. Well, we certainly will be because it doesn't matter where the wheel lands. When I spin it, you're gonna win. Let's find a winner. Hello, Lauren, Hello, there you're going Suday. You see, I'm very excited.
Speaker 22: Of course, of course I'm going to send that way. I'll singing the song for I think Kylie sinning around?
Speaker 18: You need me to?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: Did you go for it? Here we Kylie go.
Speaker 21: Around around?
Speaker 2: You don't want me to join in, as evidenced by previous issues we've had on the radio station. Okay, now what I'm going I've been instructed by Luke who runs the show, that I'm gonna have to spin it this time clockwise. I've been doing it anti clockwise. We're going to do it clockwise. And we've got a feeling this is going to result in a cracking price for you, Lauren. Here we go. I'm going to give it a really good pull this time clockwise.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're spinning. You can hear it spinning around there or here we go. We're just gone past National Tiles seven hundred and fifty two thousand dollars.
Speaker 22: For kidding me.
Speaker 8: I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Lauren.
Speaker 2: You've got two and a half thousand dollars.
Speaker 21: You shaking as much as me.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I'm speechless. I'm speechless. We've landed on two and a half thousand dollars to.
Speaker 21: Get me speaks.
Speaker 11: This is a miracle.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's our top prize. Congratulations, Yes, yes, yes, aren't you going to have a good weekend? Now Sydney's number one station comes through again?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 22: Oh fantastic, Hey Winter Winter.
Speaker 2: Wheel now, Lauren, two and a half thousand dollars? What difference does that.
Speaker 15: Make to you?
Speaker 22: I have my grandchildren live overseas, and it's so hard to see them when they live all the way in Finland, and I try to see them as often as I can, but it's so expensive, and so this is going to help me if we're trying to get over to season and surprise them.
Speaker 2: Oh, Lauren, a trip to Finland to see your grandkids. That is fabulous.
Speaker 22: Oh yay, oh good, that's just so amazing.
Speaker 1: Lauren.
Speaker 2: Wow, you are God. Congratulations, you're a big Winny here two and a half thousand dollars have a great weekend and I can't wait to hear from you when you come back from that trip to Finland with the grand kids. Make sure you give us a goal. We're going to keep playing this next week because we love giving away money, we love giving away great prizes as well. So from Monday morning, Ben Fordham in our breakfast show, make sure you're listening when he spins the wheel.
Speaker 1: Leave.
Speaker 2: He will do it in the mornings, Mick Mac, Michael McLaren in the afternoons, and I'll be spinning again next Monday afternoon. We're spinning the wheel. We're giving you a chance to win.
Speaker 1: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton on to GB What a.
Speaker 2: Great way to begin the weekend for Lauren. Two and a half thousand dollars. Well done, Lauren. We were talking a little earlier about sporting movies. The new F one movie is coming out on Thursday. I'm looking forward to it because I'm an F one fan and from the trailer that I've seen, the cinematography is spectacular based on the reviews, the plot is a bit weak's look, maybe it's not realistic that Brad Pitt. Now Brad Pitt would be about it'd be late fifties now, maybe even his sixties. You don't get a lot of Formula one drivers who are around the age of sixty. Anyway, he comes back to Formula one after retiring, and I'm told maybe the storyline could perhaps do with some work. Does raise the question best sporting movies of all time? Peter says. A brilliant sporting based movie is this Sporting Life starring a very young Richard Harris. Yeah, that was a cracker. And I'm getting a few more nominations for Rocky, not the sequel, not Rocky. Through how many Rocky movies they make about half? It doesn't yet Rocky would be one of the best ones. Coming up after the news after five o'clock and I'm going to talk to Ice House legend Iver Davies.
Speaker 1: There is Sydney now we've clinton on.
Speaker 2: To gb The sun going down across Sydney. It's already quite dark out there. Make sure if you're driving put your lights on already. Please. Looks like the weekend is going to be lovely where the fine condition's sunny tomorrow, mostly sunny on Sunday as well, boy, it was cold this morning, wasn't it. I heard all the calls into Ben's show. I had to look at the what's what's the reels feels like temperature on my mobile phant at the time. At my place it was minus two degrees in Engadeen this morning. So it looks like it'll be a little warmer tomorrow morning, which is good. So sunny weather Saturday, sunny weather on Sunday. Police today have stepped up their search from man wanted over the murder of a Sydney man in a Belmore unit Bloock. Earlier this year, on the fifteenth of March, thirty four year old James Packis was stabbed to death in a Lachembus Street unit. Now a man was arrested at the time, twenty one year old Jonathan Isaac Woods, and he has now been charged as well, but police are looking for another man. They've released CCTV footage of the man they want to speak with now. He's wearing a hood. It's difficult to make out who he is, but you may recognize the bloke, you may know something about this case. He's carrying a large bag and the footage all we all over the TV News tonight. Detective Inspector Craig is heading up this investigation.
Speaker 11: A black Conda Jazz which was seen in a nearby street shortly after the murder with a dmitory windscreen with occupants on board. Those occupants may have knowledge of this murder and police are now seeking assistance to identify them and then whereabouts of that vehicle. This is an horrific offense. James lost his life. He was a young thirty four year old man and obviously we want to see justice for his family. At this stage, we do have an offender before the courts who's been charged with murder. However, we are satisfied that it is not organized crime, it is not domestic violence and it is not drug related.
Speaker 2: Detective Inspector Craig Brooks. So one man is in custody, he's now before the courts, but police are looking for a second one. That black Honda Jazz could prove the key to the case.
Speaker 5: We are part of Sydney now with Clinton May called one three one eighty seven three.
Speaker 2: There is still no confirmation from the Prime Minister Anthony Albernezi whether he'll go to NATO next week. Now this is obviously critical because he missed out on meeting with Donald Trump at the G seven in Calgary in Canada. His next opportunity would be to go to NATO in Europe. Now it's going to be conducted in Netherlands, but it appears that the groundwork is being laid because the UK government has actually started planning for mister Alberanzi to arrive in London. If he goes to the Netherlands, he take in the UK as well. Now the problem for Albow is if he can't confirm the meeting with Donald Trump, it's not going to look good for him politically. So his advisers are weighing out what to do here. If they don't get the confirmation, do they risk going and then for mister Alberenezi to be criticized for missing out on another meeting with Donald Trump. We should find out, hopefully in the next twenty four hours. Ten past five. I've been following this story throughout the afternoon, which has been very confusing and it might seem one for the political nerds, but it's uncharted territory in New South Wales politics. The revelations today with what transpired in the Upper House that five political staffers could well be arrested imminently for refusing to appear before the committee that's investigating the Dural caravan and laughable and I chuckle at the thought of it sometimes, but it's actually real under the legislation. The legislation that I've read would indicate that if a witness is called to appear before one of these inquiries, and the staff members that have been called have appeared before other inquiries previously, but the legislation actually suggests that they could be held in custody for as long as a month in jail. Now they won't be going to jail, but they could well be arrested and then physically forced to appear before this inquiry. And there's five of them, three from the Officer Chris Mins, two from the office of the Police Minister. What transpired today is they didn't turn up to the committee. They provided the letter asking to be excused that was rejected by the committee chaired Rob roberts Well. Mark Speakman has now spoken about this and he has suggested that this could actually lead to the Premier being in deeper trouble.
Speaker 11: If the Premier has given a direction to staff to disobey a lawful requirement to appear that would appear to be a breach.
Speaker 2: Of the minister, So potentially a bridge the minister or code of conduct. It's getting all very political. What's critical here is we do need transparency, we do need accountability. I don't think the five involved are going to be carried off Long Bay Jail or Golden imminently. The way they still work is Ben Franklin, who's the President of the Upper House will he is now being asked by this committee to make an application to a Supreme Court justice to order their arrests. We have not yet heard confirmation from Ben Franklin about what he's going to do, but we did have a suggestion from one of our listeners that are punishment for the government staff is is because they could have to attend Cowboys games. When the Cowboys play in Cydney. They could actually have to watch the Cowboys. And this came from a Cowboys supporter who goes through a lot of pain watching the Cowboys. Well, I've actually put it to one of the staff members. Now I won't name the starf half member, but I can confirm the staff member is a Bulldog supporter and I've said, look, what about this suggestion that to punish you for not appearing before this committee you go to cowboys games to quote, this is the quote a fate worse than hell would rather be bullied by Mark Latham at a rape course of his choice. Some of the best known Australian music of all time has been produced by this band, and the band is ice House. The first album I actually owned was Man of Colors, was on cassette late nineteen eighties and it featured that song. There crazy Well, Ivor Davies and ice House are back. They're taking part in a really wonderful special music event a night at the Barracks in Manly in September. It's Music under the Stars and ever joins me on the show. Thanks for joining us, ever, no problem at all. You listen to some of those hits from the past. When you play a show like you would be playing later in the year, how did you decide what to play first?
Speaker 21: That's a million dollar question. Well, which I guess you know. The trick is to go through first and work out what we're not allowed to not play, so that kind of shortens the list of fair bit so yeah, probably playing every one of those songs that you just played. We do mix it up a fair bit, though, and we will be coming off a couple of shows just prior to this one where we're actually rebooting quite a few songs that we haven't played for a very long time. So it's a bit of a lucky dip really.
Speaker 2: Would you were talking about reboots, would you play this one? Your first single when you were known as the band Flowers Can't help Myself? Would you play that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 21: Yeah, a lot to answer to that single, I had an actual The record company we were signed to was a tiny, little two man company called Regular Records, and Martin Fabani was one of the partners, and I actually had a bet with him that that wouldn't make it into the top forty. I think I bet him fifty dollars, which was a lot for me then. It was certainly more than I was earning a week. Anyway, I lost that bet. It did make it into the top forty, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Very glad it was a top ten hit at the time. Yes, it was, indeed, And now that was when you were known as the band Flowers. I know you've told the story before, but why did you change the name.
Speaker 21: Well, we released the very first album. The album was called ice House, and we released it in Australia and we released it in New Zealand and that was no problem. And then the success of that inspired an international company to negotiate to sign us up. And before they signed us up, they said, we'll just do a little name check because I don't know whether you're aware, but a band name is like a trading name, like a business name. I was totally unaware of that, to be honest with you. And they said, oh, sorry, I can't use their name Flowers because there's a Scottish band called Flowers and there's a famous bass player called Herbie Flowers. You'd know Herbie's work from the beginning of Lou Reed's Walk in the World, Yeah, which is the one that plays that iconic base introduct And so we looked at each other and kind of went, oh, now, this is not the first time it happened to an Australian band. By the way, it happened to Sherbert that it happened to the Angels, And we just sort of made a logical decision, which was to choose the name of that first album, and of course the album was called ice House and we've been ice House ever since.
Speaker 2: Names and album covers and it's so crucial to success, whether rightly or wrong. Did you did you ever look back in it and think if you hadn't a change name, if you were able to stick with Flowers, whether you would have had the same success.
Speaker 21: Look, it's kind of academic in a way, and yeah, I've thought about it, and I thought, yeah, it's kind of pointless thinking about that for too long.
Speaker 2: Well, the songs, the songs still stand the test of time, so I think you would have Oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 21: Well, you know it was I know it was unfortunate for Sherbert. I think they became Highway and I don't think there are too many Australians that know Sherbet by the name Highway, so that one certainly didn't stick. So we got pretty lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a bandaister like back in well actually only just wrapped up New Zealand band known as she Had, and they changed their name at the height of nine to eleven because the American record companies just said, you're not getting able to get away with that, it's too close to g Had, and they changed to Pacifier, and I heard an interview with the lead singer a couple of weeks ago, and he just said, you know, we go out on stage and the fans just be shouting the old name. It just didn't feel the same with a different name.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Look, and I was a great fan of that first single that they put out, too, and I watched that sort of unfold and I really felt for them, because, yeah, in a way, the band name does become your identity, and certainly for all these years, I guess I've felt closer to the id identity of ice Houth than I perhaps would have for the identity of Flowers. That particular song, which was the title track that became the name of the band, Ice House, was a very formative period for me. I actually lived in this freezing cold, old two story mansion for about five years, and a lot of stuff, including the formation of the Van, happened in that house, so it's got a backstory really, So yeah, I felt quite close to it.
Speaker 2: There were so many massive albums you had, but Man of Colors I mentioned it was my first album on cassette back in the eighties, and it was a huge Australian album at the time when there were really big Australian acts. They still are, but you know, around the time John fun had Whispering Jack. Around the same Hame era, you had big records from the Angels and Jimmy Barnes. But five top ten hits you had in that album. That's astonishing success from one album.
Speaker 21: Well one two ARIA awards that I'm very proud of because I don't know whether it still works the same way. But there were two distinct awards. One of them was chosen by the music industry and that was for Best Album, and then of course the other one was based completely on public opinion because it was based on sales, and so I think of all the Australian albums, I think that album is probably a rarity in so much as it won both the Judge's Award and the People's Award, if you know what I mean. And that was quite an achievement because generally the two are kind of almost mutually exclusive. Whatever becomes popular the industry, the industry perhaps Martin like and vice versa. So it was a very big year for us.
Speaker 2: You had so many significant people in the industry who loved that album and loved what you do I know that John Oates co wrote Electric Blue with You from Hall and Oates fame, and I was told a story actually this morning. I had heard this one ever before that David Bowie was quite a fan.
Speaker 21: Well, David Bowie sort of discovered as well before Man of Colours, and it was quite a strange thing because we had a hit in Europe and it would have been around about nineteen eighty two, so quite a few years before Man of Colors was released from the second album, and the song was called Hey a Little Girl, and it was specifically a big European hit. In fact, it made it into the British Top twenty as well. Two people and actually I had by the time we sort of the story was that both Peter Gabriel and David Bowie heard that song and they both wanted us to go on tour, and unfortunately the two sets of dates absolutely clashed and I actually had to make a decision between choosing to go on tour with one of two of my greatest heroes, and so I agreed with Bowie and we had the conversation when we finally met, and he said, you know what, you never know who will be listening, because he was listening and he heard hey little girl, and based on that we got the invitation to tour Europe and Britain with his biggest tour ever. It was an extraordinary experience. We were playing straight out of the box to forty five, fifty sixty seventy thousand people each show, so it was certainly more people than I'd seen in one place before.
Speaker 2: Great events coming up. The Night at the Barracks will be in main there's a wonderful lineup. You're playing in September. It is in Manly. You'll be playing September thirteen, which is Saturday. Tickets are available on sound now. It'd be great to plant the stars. I know you've done it before.
Speaker 21: Look if anybody hasn't actually been to this venue for no other reason than just the experience of it, grab a ticket and go because it is the most beautiful place. If you're unfamiliar with it. It's on North Head, it's the old Barracks and the last time we played there was a beautiful twenty four degree spring and evening, not a breath of wind. It was absolutely perfect, and I'm praying for the same sort of weather again, obviously, but it is an incredible place to watch a show. There's a series of shows where just one on four weekends, but it will be the highlight of our year, I imagine.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's some wonderful performers, Amy Shark's playing and cut Copy and Grinspoon, so there's a whole range of eras as well. We can't wait. Thank you either, Thank you very much. Indeed, you can get tickets at night at the Barracks dot com over Davies Nice House. We better play Hey little Girl, We've all Blake's Katie Poler.
Speaker 12: Good afternoon. Clinton Defense Force personnel who have been sent to the Middle East to support the evacuation of Australians. The Foreign Minister has spoken with the US Secretary of State, committing to working closely together on a path to securing peace in the region. Three men accused of making millions of dollars selling fake luxury goods online have been granted bail in court. They're accused of making almost ten million dollars over a number of years. The Liberal Party Room will formally meet next Friday to discuss its disastrous election campaign. MPs and senators will be briefed on an upcoming review of the campaign which is being run by two former ministers and firefighters, have launched a b Fire Safe Winter campaign identifying the residents most at risk. Half of five days fire deaths involve an older person, while those with the disability account for forty seven percent of fatalities. In sport, in basketball, the NBL has released its draw for next season. The Sydney Kings will tip off in round one against the Cans tie Pans at home on the twenty eighth of September. Clinton More News at six.
Speaker 2: Thank you Katie one three one eight seven three our number fourteen degrees in City twelve in the West. Thank you for all your lovely messages about Ivor Davies and ice House. Even after all these years, ice House still has so many fans. Hillary listens to us and she works at raw Northshaw Hospital, and she's just sent a great message love ice House. It brings back so many wonderful memories for sure. And thanks for listening to the show each afternoon. Hillary one three one eight seven three. If you'd like to send text messages zero fours like zero eight seven three eight seven three. If there's something you'd like us to investigate, you can send me a text message, but it's best to send me an email go to our website to GB dot com. Word on the Street is thanks to Temper, a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is Temper. And every week the best tip or word on the street that we receive will win two Temper Primer cooling pillows, and this week's winner is Charles. Charles told us about David Jones closing in Castle Hill Castle Towers and we spoke to DJs off there and they did confirm yes, it's closing down in March of twenty twenty six, and they're closing down their tug restore. Tugs actually going to close in January, which I think is a shame, but the reality is we're not going to department stores in the same numbers anymore. So if there's a tip you've got for me, if there's something you'd like to investigate that's a word on the street, send me an email to GB dot com. Charles, You've won two Temper Primer cooling pillows. They're worth six hundred dollars, so you're going to have a great night's sleep night after night. The difference is Temper.
Speaker 1: On Sydney.
Speaker 5: Now go Harvey Norman best tax time deals guaranteed, up take your laptop, upgrade your phone with unbeatable deals in store and online.
Speaker 1: Harvey Norman errants on Now in.
Speaker 2: The workplace, depending on where you've worked and what industry you read, there is often now talk about AI, artificial intelligence and how you can use it. We have a training session scheduled, I think for next month on how we can start using AI here at the radio station. Now, you're not going to be listening to an AI, Clinton Maynard, I don't think unless they're planning to replace me with a computer. But it'll be the way we use AI off air, particularly we use Google with our documents and our email how it can assist there. So we'll have a training session. But there is some fear that AI could eventually replace half of all entry level jobs in an office by twenty thirty, which is not far away. I wanted to talk to Charlie Brown about this, and of course host of Life and Tech. Hello, Charlie, how are you Clinton? They're not going to replace us, are they?
Speaker 1: I don't think so, not.
Speaker 23: If they want to keep the product fresh and top quality. What this has this has come about in the last sort of twenty four hours or so, because the CEO of one of the biggest tech companies in the world, Amazon came out and said that they they are pushing hard toward creating artificial intelligent engines to do more and more in their business. Now they already have thirty or so different different systems which are using this kind of technology. But they said, but the CEO said that this will affect the level of workers that they have.
Speaker 2: In their business in the near to medium term.
Speaker 23: Now, you've got to remember they're a tech company, right, so they are actually creating all these AI systems themselves, and they're using them a lot of the time for things such as digit creating digital products, or managing a warehouse, that kind of thing. But they are a tech company, so they are going to be one of the earliest to move.
Speaker 20: Like the other tech companies, they're going to be very very early to move.
Speaker 23: Other companies are going to be less slow, less moving with less speed. But Clint, you've got to understand that humans are still going to be involved in running businesses for a very very long time, maybe not in the same volume in certain sections, but there will be new sections in the business that are created that more humans come along.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people who are using it now, and I'm put my hand up. I'm reasonably good with technology. I'm not using it yet, but I'm going to start looking into it and I'll do the training sessions because I know that if you are in a workplace and it is a workplace that uses technology, if you don't adapt to technology, you do risk being left behind. It may well be if you don't use AI, your job is at risk.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 23: So what we've always seen from technology is that if you are coming up into the job market, the best thing that you can do is arm yourself with the best education possible and the best and understanding of technology. And that's been the case with many many modern jobs today. It started off with people in the workplace not knowing how to type, and then all of a sudden, everybody around them knew how to type. That was an example from a few decades ago. We will have our own versions of that with AI, and you one hundred perc headspot on now AI.
Speaker 20: It's not everything wrong. AI is not wrong though.
Speaker 23: There are very very good functions being created with AI, and one of them we're looking at tomorrow, which is AI helping the doctors to identify skin cancers earlier and identify them much more accurately. We're going to talk to the guys from Monash University about what the research is that they have done in that space and how they have created AI to help them. And I can guarantee you Clinton, if we're able to work out faster that you have got a problem with your skin and an AI bot is going to help you to do that, then that's a good thing.
Speaker 20: We'll have that on the show tomorrow. Plus we're going to talk of end of financial years sales. What is on offer? There's a lot and it's a big one this time because when the.
Speaker 23: President of the United States started putting up tariffs, I said on this show a couple of months ago, the factories in China have still got to keep pushing product out.
Speaker 20: They're going to look for new markets.
Speaker 1: One of them is.
Speaker 20: Australia and a lot of that product sun sale this time of the year.
Speaker 2: Charlie will be listening at eight o'clock tomorrow morning. Thanks clean mate, Charlie Brown with Life and Tech right here in two GB tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Finance update Okay.
Speaker 2: One Australian dollar now worth sixty five US since the stock market today, the A six two hundred is in the week down. Unfortunately, the A six two hundred is lost eighteen point two cents APLETs points to eight thousand, five hundred and five points the AX two hundred down for the.
Speaker 5: Week on Sydney Now a weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather.
Speaker 1: NRIM Insurance a help company, looking.
Speaker 2: Like some great winter weather for the weekend. It will remain dry this evening. Now Tomorrow a Sunday day, at tops of eighteen degrees, it should be a little warmer overnight was freezing this morning. It should be warmer tonight on Sunday, mostly Sunday some patches of frost and the western suburbs nineteen degrees for back to work Monday, sunny at the rain will begin from Tuesday, so it will be a little bit wet next week. Round six to the NRL getting underway tonight and it is a shortened round because of state of origin. MG joins as Hello, MG, can.
Speaker 24: You believe our quick this seasons? Go and get after the incline? And when you said that, then what Round sixteen good?
Speaker 1: This halfway this season.
Speaker 24: No, it's over halfway as far as the rounds go. There's only twenty seven rounds in the season, probly obviously then we've got the semi finals and Grand Final.
Speaker 2: But wow, halfway round, So halfway and the Premier is the full time Premiers aren't in the eight How about that?
Speaker 24: Well, they're not, They're not far from it. After a kickstarting first half of the year where they kind of the spark plugs weren't put in properly. I think the sparks plugs have been replaced all day. They've got a massive assignment when they take on the Warriors tomorrow without their the start of Orizon Stars, which we'll get to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well let's kick off just going through our tips because there's one game on tonight and there's a fair bit of interest in this game for a lot of reasons. It's the Tigers up against the Raiders with Ricky Stewart's sun making his taboot.
Speaker 24: Yeah, it's amazing. Young Jed Stewart's been on the peripheral for about three or four seasons now. He's been eighteenth. Man, if you score young Stewart next to his dad, he would say that that's no way they related. Jed's about six foot four, he's got a perme type hair, and he's a winger next to his dad, who his dad looks like a shorter due next to him obviously is shorter. But yeah, look, I know what he feels like. I know how proud I was a couple of years back when my young Blake made his debut. And all you can wish is for your kids to have success and happiness in their lives, and if one of them follows in your footsteps, it's a very proud day for him.
Speaker 2: So who you're tipping, Well, Jerome Leway is playing so.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 24: Last I heard he was playing anyway, So there might be a late change an now before kick off tonight at seven o'clock, but I think he'll play down at Cambelltown. Tigers are hard to beat. But this camera team at the moment, Clinton, they're on a bit of a roll. They've got they've got strike power or across. I think outside of the Dolphins back line, I think the Camera Raiders back line is the next most potent. So I think the Raiders might provail.
Speaker 2: We'll love tip the Tigers, and that's big us. There's a rationale of my madness. I'm coming last in the tipping comp now I need to make up ground. And I actually think the Tigers do have a chance. They've four straight, haven't they. And when I look through all the tips of the two GB presenters, I am the only one tipping the Tigers. Even the one ee Gavin Pitchford is tipping.
Speaker 1: The Raiders go to Tigers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct, And he's tipping against his own team, And Michael McLaren is tipping the Raiders against his own team.
Speaker 24: So you're basically this game tonight is worth two points to yourect like a massive game for you.
Speaker 2: Clinton, Good luck, Buddy, Well leave. He's the one in front of me by one point. So the leader of the continuous call team is coming second last. It can't be that bad, all right. So tomorrow tomorrow, Tomorrow's games and so it is a shortened round, So just one game tonight, but there are three games tomorrow, starting the Warriors and your Panthers.
Speaker 24: Look, I can't go against my team, even though I'm highly I highly doubt whether I beat the Warriors over there with a full strength team. I think I've got to stay with Panthers pans.
Speaker 2: I'm tipping Warriors as well, but on the official two GB tips, which you'll find online, MG's tip the Warriors in the actual competition.
Speaker 1: That's a misspread, Warriors.
Speaker 17: That's a misspread.
Speaker 24: Someone's taking the tea out of me.
Speaker 1: Come on mate, talk to Luke all right.
Speaker 2: The Dolphins up against the Knights traitor Dolphin.
Speaker 17: By the way.
Speaker 24: See I've come back from Perth. So it's going about ten thirty last night, and the Western Red Boys are meeting in Perth as we speak for their thirty year reunion year.
Speaker 2: So how good.
Speaker 24: Unfortunately I won't be there to help them celebrate. But yeah, so if you're in Perth listening to us right now, be careful, yeah, be very careful.
Speaker 2: I'm tipping the Dolphins there as well. That's games in Perth and the rabbito is up against the Storm in the seven thirty game. You're here on the.
Speaker 1: Continuous call team Norbourn Storm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll back the Storm there as well. Sunday afternoon two o'clock sun Corps dating the Brisbane Bronchoes up against the Crown of Sharks.
Speaker 24: This is probably the hardest the round to pick for mine. The Sharkis have been in pretty ordinary form of late. But they don't have anyone in origin, so they could be rested and ready to roll. But I think Ruth Walsh might get the Broncos out of the line and push for an origin. Just what they the ponger Broncos.
Speaker 2: You know who I'm tipping.
Speaker 1: So the next who are you giving?
Speaker 2: Broncos?
Speaker 17: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: You against the Panthers. Told you I was a miss Prince Sydney Roosters Roosters up against the Cowboys. Uh in Sydney, Yeah, it's in Sidney. Yeah, I'll go the Roosters. And last game is the Parameter Eels played the Gold Coast Titans six fifteen, so Sunday night.
Speaker 24: Yeah, there's no Mitchell Moses, no Dylan Brown. I think after their performance last week, I think I'm going to loan towards the Titans.
Speaker 2: I've tipped the Eels, but I haven't given that enough thought thinking about no Mitchell Moses because and no Dylan Brown.
Speaker 24: There the stripeower young Way, young Papa. He will be playing, so he's in the half. He could be an exciting proposition for them, so look out for him.
Speaker 2: All right, now you have got your wish, you have been campaigning ever since you joined me, and you joined me in January, in the middle of the cricket season. You've been campaigning hard and publicly for Marnus Lavashane to be dumped from the Australian Test site. You've been granted, you're wished by the Chief Selected, George Bailey.
Speaker 1: He's out well, well, put.
Speaker 24: Sam conscience in and let him go, like wind him up and let him go. I mean he's going to be our opening bats in for the next ten years. I think Marnus still should play a part now to him because he's eff a veessence is infectious.
Speaker 2: He just needs a bit of a tickle up, doesn't he.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I don't think he's an opener, to be honest, Clinton, I don't think he's an opener. So I know it's out of a couple of players for the opening batsman. And I'll love the way Sam constance, but so I love his I just love his freedom that he plays with. Obviously he's got really in a touch, but let's have that go with young Sam to take over from that opening spot that we we must like. Karage is obviously not getting any younger. Dave Warner's gone so we're gonna look, we're gonna need two openers within the next couple of years, so at least one of them might be same conscious I hope.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'm with you. I think it's a good move. Josh English in the side as well. Steve Smith is injured. This is for the first test against the West Indies in Barbados. Hey, just before you go, MG, it's bringing your dog to work day and we've had this howling dog all afternoon.
Speaker 6: Was aware you've.
Speaker 2: Brought your dog in, You've bought your dog in. Now you've actually left the building. You've got two of them.
Speaker 24: Sorry, mate, I just want them on your desk.
Speaker 2: Let me sure you tarry the toy poodles. Two visus that didn't bring him in today and guess what.
Speaker 24: They clean up after himselves, which they highly trained my.
Speaker 4: Dog, So.
Speaker 24: Desk, you know where did it voids go?
Speaker 2: You'll be on the continuous call team over the weekend. You can get your dogs.
Speaker 24: Yes, Sunday one till seven.
Speaker 17: Can't wait mates?
Speaker 2: All right, MG, will be listening. Have a great weekend, mark and don't forget continue. It was called Team on air tonight from seven o'clock time to expose your minds.
Speaker 1: You may begin your questioning on Sydney.
Speaker 10: Now questions, questions against questions.
Speaker 1: That's important, Patent, I know how straight you are and answer a question right. Clinton's Quick Quiz.
Speaker 2: Let's give some tickets away to the PBR Australia Origin three. That is professional bull writing coming here in July PBR Australia dot com dot if you'd like to buy tickets.
Speaker 7: Hello, norell Oh, that's been on Channel thirty four recently something similar.
Speaker 1: It may well have been. It may well have been.
Speaker 2: And Liz is joining us?
Speaker 1: Yes, Kai, how are you?
Speaker 20: You can go first?
Speaker 2: Liz Oh? I think your thirty second starts now. What is the name of the band who wrote nineteen eighty one's Don't Stop Believing or Believing Journey? What is Australia's oldest chocolate bar Violet Crumble.
Speaker 1: Or Cherry Ripe Violet Crumble?
Speaker 2: No, it's Cherry Ripe. What is the Roman nuneral? What's the Roman uneral for ten? Correct? How many lines are there in a traditional HAYQ poeme?
Speaker 1: Side three?
Speaker 2: Which country is favor?
Speaker 13: You know what?
Speaker 2: You've got one and you might want you might have a chance lease, Okay, Okay, here we go, Norell thirty second starts. Now, what does the HS stand.
Speaker 7: For Video.
Speaker 2: Something system? Give it to video Home System. What is the most recent actor to play James Bond.
Speaker 9: Daniel Craig?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: What kind of vehicles do Kenworth produce?
Speaker 10: Oh, they used to have stereos, but cars?
Speaker 1: Trucks?
Speaker 2: What modern animal is the only direct descendant of a dinosaur?
Speaker 1: Surry go again?
Speaker 2: You run out of time. Tell you what we've got. We've got a winner. You're on two. Well done, Congratulations Rerel. We're going to send you out a double past to PBR Professional bull Riding.
Speaker 5: And now a preview of what's coming up on Wide World of Sports. With six hundred and four kilometers of range, the Kia EV three is your twenty twenty five World.
Speaker 1: Car of the Year.
Speaker 5: Visit your nearest Kia showroom to test drive yours today.
Speaker 2: Hawsey with wild water sports coming up up in news good show, Yeah, got.
Speaker 6: Joey John's coming on to preview the Action Tigers v Raiders. Big gave a Terrell mate, can he force his way into that Blues lineup for Origin three?
Speaker 2: Martus Labershane dumped from the test team. We'll be listening after six o'clock Pawsey with wild Water Sports.
Speaker 1: Thanks to the team.
Speaker 2: This week we've had some wonderful producers work led by Ben. Thank you mate. That's Sydney now.