Speaker 1: Let's change the subjects some what get to our good friend trave along technology expert mate, nice to talk to you. Let's talk about these Meta glasses, these smart glasses do they so you wear the glasses on your face and then you can it's got a video and it's got a camera in it. Am I right there?
Speaker 2: So far spot on here. So this is not the first time Meta or Facebook have done this. They've had a couple of generations, but these are the first time they've partnered with Oakley. So they've currently got some ray bands in the market. These are now partnered with Oakley and Opley is just another brand of the parent company that owns both ray Band and Oakley. But you know smart classes in that they yet they have a camera on them, so you can take a photo, record video kind of point of view style rather than having a strap of go pro to your chest to your head. You can record content as you're biking, cycling, skiing, whatever it is you might be doing. But more importantly, they've got speakers in them, so you can listen to the radio or podcast while you're walking or writing or whatever you're doing. And they've got link to your phone so you can use them for AI. So you could ask your glasses to take a photo and tell me where I am. You can ask your glasses to identify a landmark in front of you and tell you more about it. It's quite remarkable what they can do.
Speaker 1: I think it sounds fantastic, but to a point, and that is privacy for the person who's being filmed, who might not realize they're being filmed.
Speaker 2: Look, when you're in a in close quarters, it's very obvious of being film because there's a white flashing light on them when you're being filmed, when you're standing in like I was wearing these when we were on holidays in America earlier in the year and standing in the Washington Neither Washington Monument, you know, taking photos or asking questions about different landmarks. No, no one around me knew that I was videoing or taking photos. But likewise, you're in a huge public space. There's no way anyone can tell whether you are holding your mobile phone scrolling through Instagram or whether you're taking videos and photos. So we've got to remember, Yeah, these are a step towards a concerning area of but we already have huge issues with regards to the number of people that are carrying cameras around with them in their pocket.
Speaker 1: Well, but that's absolutely true. But I thought I would cover that point because I know somebody who said they were aware that somebody was wearing them at work and not this workplace, and they said they were a bit concerned that they will.
Speaker 2: Be these things with prescription lenses in them, so they could be your absolute twenty four to seven daily drivers. Know, these are my regular sunglasses of ray Band Metas. I wear them all the time. They are rarely on because if you leave them on, the battery dies after a day and a half. If you actually use them talking to them, listening to their music, taking videos, they die after three or four hours. So yeah, I get it. But I've stood in front of people like one of my kids and stuff and taking videos and photos at Disneyland. They certainly knew they would tell me that they could tell that I was taking a video because they could see the white light and things like that. So it's more about I think educating people as to what to look for with these kind of things, to understand whether you're being filmed or photographed.
Speaker 1: And so what would you look for.
Speaker 2: It's the white light, white light. Okay, corner, so that you've got your glasses, you know, the lenses, and then just above and to the left and right of those lenses of these quite clear circles which are the lenses, and it's within that lens where the white light flashes. So do you see a little white white light flashing on someone's glasses, they're taking a video of your folks.
Speaker 1: However, getting to the technology side of it, it's a great idea if you're doing anything where you want to make some kind of video for your Instagram, for your Facebook, whatever, as you say, and you don't have to hold a phone if you're doing skiing, if you're doing cycling, if you're doing jogging. So the upside of that is it's good technology.
Speaker 2: I went two and a half weeks on holidays without posting from my phone to social media once, and I'm pretty prolific on Instagram. So this I use these and these only so when whever we would go somewhere significant a baseball game or digital end or wherever it was, I would just say, hey, meta, take a photo and share it on Instagram, and it would go do you want to share on Instagram? Yes? And boom it would be on Instagram. I didn't touch my phone. So cool. Such a great way to share what you're doing. You know the concept of social media, the sharing of where you are, what you're doing. Very very well done. Why are these okay?
Speaker 1: I like that? However, here's another thing, just while we're on the subject of warning the social media band with the government group saying that technology can work out a child's age, but there's a catch. What's the catch?
Speaker 2: The catch is that I was looking through the what they call age assurance trials which the government commissioned, and a lot of companies say, yep, we can verify the age of someone without using an ID, but none of them can say they can do it within an inth degree, which means there's a limit, and that limit is often a variability of around a year. So if you're a fifteen year old, you might be taken for a sixteen year old or a fourteen year old, or more importantly, in my book, if you get to ban sixteen and from social media, how do you tell the difference between a child who is fifteen years and ten months old and a kid it is sixteen years today? Impossible, It's not possible. Anyone that's got kids knows when you go to kids' sport, you watch them play, and you look at their teammates and you go, I don't know how old these kids are. Some of them are old, some of them younger, and it turns out they're all the same age. You can't tell very hard with human eyes to know. How do we expect computers to work it out? So we have a real problem coming up with the rules as to how we're actually going to determine this sixteen year old agent without asking for ID from either the parents or the children, because that is a required part of the legislation. That ID government idea is not mandatory. And secondly, and this is only breaking news this morning, the e Safety Commissioner has come out and said that there's a bunch of things that she has recommended the Minister change about the proposed rules, including not excluding YouTube from the rules. So it looks like YouTube will be part of the band and a lot of changes can't before they're implemented.
Speaker 1: Okay, another thing I wanted to talk to you about. I know it was not on the list of things we're going to talk about this morning, but I saw this the other day that there's new AI which will enable you to if you want to zoom in on somebody's holiday photos, for example, and there's somewhere in the world, it can actually identify exactly where they are by having a look at just the beach or having a look at, you know, the building that they're standing out in the front of. Had you heard.
Speaker 2: About that doesn't surprise me at all. There's a couple of great TikTok accounts where one of them is called Jose Monkey, and it's brilliant content where people will send a video to this guy, just a very short video. They might stand in a park somewhere and they'll just kind of quickly scan around and say, Jose, maky find me. And this guy is able to in a couple of hours find them because he can see the landmarks and look at things and work stuff out. So that's a human being and making that assessment now taking into account that Apple and Google and all these mapping companies have mapped the world to the nth degree, so buildings on streets, you know, satellite imagery of beaches and things. All you need is a small amount of either landscape or buildings for you know that AI just basically search the database of the world and go, well, that's Bondli Pavilion, or that's the story bridge in Brisbane. You know, it's actually not hard when you think about it, to match content with a database and identify someone's location. So I would be unsurprised to see that kind of technology.
Speaker 1: Mind, Joe, I'm led to believe that the technology is so precise that it doesn't need a landmark per se. It can just see, for example, you're sitting on a tiny bit of beach and it can actually recognize that piece of beach out of you know, anywhere on the world and tell you exactly where that person is to be. That sounds like the kind of technology you don't need. The other side of that is, you know, post it when you get back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, this is a really good learning for people is when you're on holidays or when you've done a trip. You know. I saw someone actually this morning, I was going through Instagram and I saw someone who'd been to Melbourne and back and I thought it looked like when I was looking through it, I thought, oh, they've just signed No, they've just having copye note, they've just flying back. You know what they did was take photos all day and then when they got home they posted them all so it looked like a kind of chronological series of events. It's a great thing to do, share your holiday memories. Like it's funny. I haven't done it yet from our holiday months ago. I should grab all the photos and do that because I want it as a memory for me look back on. But yeah, don't do it in the moment. Do it on reflection, and that avoids people knowing exactly where you are.
Speaker 1: Absolutely good point, because then people will know that that was before and your home now. And one more thing, the discovery of sixteen billion usernames and passwords. I saw this on thenews, dot com dot au the other day and I thought, just like everybody else, I wonder if I'm one of those sixteen billion people.
Speaker 2: You definitely are. I mean, it's really as simple as saying, yes, you are. If you're on the Internet, you're part of it. Look, this is not one data breach. This is not Google being hacked or anything like that. But this is a discovery of a supermarket for cyber criminals. It just it's a realization that cyber criminals have been creating a repository of data. They've been taking dudle links from over the data links from over the years. They've been maliciously scanning people's devices and phones, and we now know they've been putting it in one place. And that amount of data in one place makes for very good data for scammers and cyber criminals to both extort us and steal our identity. So it's a reminder to us that our data's out there, and it's a reminder to firstly, change your passwords, secondly, set up two factor authentication wherever possible, and thirdly, have Internet security software on all your devices because it can prevent you from losing your existing passwords to these scammers in the future.
Speaker 1: And I should correct myself when I said, I wonder if I'm one of these sixteen billion people. I've just you know, doubled the world's Earth population.
Speaker 2: It could be two billion. We don't know you're part of it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I just don't want to be one of these sixteen billion user names. Mate, good to talk to you. I wonder how many you would know the answer this off the top of your head. Sixteen billion newsernames and passwords. So that means if everybody on the planet's got two, then they've got everybody's information, although I think we've got at least five. What do you think, off the top of your head would be the average amount of passwords and usernames people have?
Speaker 2: I would think fifty fifty. Yeah, I would think. If you like, if you're someone that uses Google Chrome, for example, go into the settings and open up the password manager and scroll through. I'm scrolling right now. It looks like there's two hundred fantastic, so many different accounts.
Speaker 1: Good to toe to you mate. Trevor along there and they're giving us the update from EFTM dot com. He's the editor there. If you want to find out any techno information, anything to that technological then, by your means, go and check that out.