Speaker 1: Well, he's the most sought after name in free agency, and tonight we asked the question, could there be a late twist in the chase of Tom Daconing. We've got exclusive details on Footy Classified Plus Matthew Lloyd has had enough and he's seen enough when it comes to the Melbourne Football Club. He believes change is needed at the top. Strap yourselves in, get set. It's fully classified. Good evening everyone, it's great to be back. Welcome to Footy Classified. We've got a lot to get to tonight, so let's get straight to welcoming our star studded panel. We begin with the award winning Damian Barrett, one of the best journos in the country. Damo, Welcome to you. Jimmy Bartel, the enormous and medallist, the Brandlow Medalist and the triple Premiership play Welcome to you, Jimmy. Evening Sam and the man who was on twelve occasions, yes twelve, the leading goalkicker at the SNA Football Club, the legendary Matthew Lloyd. Ludo great tab make the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you the same.
Speaker 3: Tom de Cooning is the most sought free agent in the game. You've got an update on his situation tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a really interesting situation. I think as of two weeks ago there was a resignation internally at Carlton that he was going to join Saint Kilder on this mega seven year deal worth upwards of one point six million dollars per season. I can tell you tonight that on Friday before leaving for Perth, Tom Deconing actually asked for a meeting with the incoming chief executive, Graham Wright. They had that meeting above the gym at the football club in Brian Cook's office, the man who is about to leave as chief executive, and in that meeting, Tom de Cooning essentially asked Graham Wright, who, as you quite rightly wrote Damil a couple of weeks ago on AFL dot com, was an agent of change. Okay, if I am going to stay at this football club, what is going to change? Really interesting conversation, and I think tell you tonight that senior Carleton people walked away from knowledge of that meeting, including some of his senior teammates, thinking okay, well we thought this guy was gone. But if he's seeking these sort of meaning at meetings, maybe demote there's a chance he.
Speaker 4: Stays Yeah, it's an interesting development.
Speaker 3: And in asking for the answer to that question, did he actually want change?
Speaker 1: I think that there is a senior group of Carlton players who believe that they have enough talent at the club's disposal to get them closer to a flag than what they are. But clearly, and we've been talking order on this show for a while, there is change needed. It's just what levers they pull and what Graham Wright decides to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I can understand him asking questions of the club before he signs. I think it is a good sign because everyone in the industry was talking that he's probably going to leave, So that is a good sign for Carlton. But to me, he's just about going their best player and they've got a lot of guys who are just stagnating poor depth.
Speaker 1: Is he their most important plant?
Speaker 2: Ah? I wouldn't have said that maybe five or six weeks ago, but I reckon that right now as valuable as anyone at Carlton.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, We'll just stay or would you go? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think he wants to know where the club's going to go, Like, you can't have another year where you got the ups and downs of the season, and I guess he's wanting to see, well, what are you going to refresh around the football, partner, what's going to shift in the way we play out football that takes us up and beyond of course to play finals, be a top four side that a lot of us expected in the last couple of years, and success is a great motivation to stay and you do sacrifice money to stay part of good teams.
Speaker 1: We should say. We spoke to Graham Wright before going to air tonight. He wasn't willing to commit publicly, but he did confirm the meeting took place and that it was one of several meetings he's had with Tom Deconing over recent weeks. Lordy the Demons. It was another poor loss from Simon Goodwin's men. Have you seen enough?
Speaker 2: Well, I've been thinking obviously watching Melbourne and you look at their records since they last won the premiership and they've just been on the decline since. So they went out in straight sets in two finals series. So you see twenty twenty two, fantastic season six but out in straight sets. Twenty twenty three again good season, but out in straight sets, and it's been a real decline since then. And I've heard them talk about what they need to address over the off season, and yet we sit here at the completion of Round fourteen and they are a bottom four club.
Speaker 1: So what do you say.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is Simon Goodwin his contract at the end of next year. But I would consider moving on Simon Goodwin at the end of the year for the reason that do they need fresh ideas? And I respect Simon, He's a premiership coach and he's brought a lot of success to Melbourne, but do they need a fresh set of eyes overseeing the program? Just come in while you've got Gorne Petruca, Oliver Byney Pickett made leave. There's stars out there. But the same problems happen at Melbourne. So they misshots, poor inside fifty entries, the lack of connection and they've had moments and patches through the last six weeks. This is okay, but we're still hearing the same things over the weekend and the same problems.
Speaker 1: And we heard a few of them from the man himself, Simon Goodwin after the game. Clearly, you know the way we entered the ball inside fifty certainly wasn't to the standard that it needs.
Speaker 4: To be.
Speaker 1: It was a bit of everything, you know, our decision making.
Speaker 6: Ability to lower our eyes, ability to airly have an impact when we had our opportunities, ability to stay calm.
Speaker 1: And composed and really finish the play.
Speaker 3: That is a non repeat type of statement, isn't it? From Simon Goodwin post match And to Lordo's point, it has been happening since the twenty twenty three final series where they did kick themselves out of it in two consecutive finals.
Speaker 4: So it's interesting to you hear you say though that.
Speaker 3: It should be a change at the coaching level, and not necessarily the people around the coach, because that's also been in focus the people around Simon Goodwin and equally changed to the Plaine list. I mean, these mistakes and what he's referring to, and this is why he's on repeat. They're missing goals and they're losing games in a very similar fashion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what you're sort of chained see already? Yeah? Oh they go about to in coming Yeah, and then they've got the new president new president, Yeah so but I'm not sure. So that's happening. But on field, Jimmy just spoke about the coning and what he's maybe looking for about change and seeing something. I just think that that's the time. It isn't Melbourne, Like I think the on field stuff to me has said broken, it's a broken record. And that's why I think do they go in another year and just put faith in in that it's suddenly going to turn around next year because all the players are out there, they've got generational type players, and they're finishing bottom.
Speaker 4: And they've locked themselves into those deals.
Speaker 3: Jimmy, as we take a look at what they have done with their contracting of seenior players on long term deals, and there's big, massive money attached to pretty much all of those deals, even inclusive of jakb Ben Royan, who has not performed to expectation. I know he's still a young player in the system, but that's a long term deal. Is that suffocating when you look at that now, knowing how they're playing in twenty twenty five some of those players on at least you take Gorne out of that equation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Look, if they're going to move forwardy're going to have to have an adjustment in their game plan. I think we all acknowledge the way that they're playing isn't sustainable. The game has moved on from that heavy life of bang crash contested footy and of course the mix they went with, the mix that they spooked about, you know, Gorn, Oliver, Petrarca and Viney in the midfield. Now they won the footy, but they're not getting it done with their ball use on the weekend.
Speaker 2: So I'm not saying get rid of them, but is.
Speaker 5: There opportunities to actually play the younger players in the more important role? So next year going forward, do we see more of Lindsay in there? Do we see more of Langford in?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 5: Is Cosey more fifty to fifty midfield, so they've got the young Thalstropters. He come through the midfield as well, so they're going to need to refresh the ideas as well and game style they actually catch up with some of these sides, they've gone past them.
Speaker 1: Jimmy mentioned Pickett. What did you make him his game on the weekend? The tail of two halves? It was?
Speaker 2: It was so he was the best player on toim Melbourne in that first half and then like his team late in the piece, they got blown away. So just two disposals, so we saw he got a knock, So I'd like to give him the benefit, the benefit of the doubt with the knock, because you know, he was exquisite again in that first half.
Speaker 3: Sim You know that the trade space as well as anyone as we look at what Pickeard is doing in those recent game after signing that nine year deal last week.
Speaker 4: We talked regularly in the lead up to last.
Speaker 3: Year's trade period about what could happen to some of those names on that list, that Oliver obviously Petruca as well. I personally expect those two names again to be talked about in the trade period. Are you hearing the same thing this time around?
Speaker 1: I'd be surprised. Look, it doesn't look like they're gonna make the aid, so I'd be surprised if clubs don't circle again. The thing that interests me with Melbourne, Jimmy, is that we've been talking about their lack of key forwards for a while now, and yet outside of Taylor Walker a few years ago before he resigned, I can't really remember them being linked to chasing one and like you know, we've got I know Jamar is in a different space and we'll talk about him in a second, So maybe he's not the guy, but Oscar Allen available and yet Melbourne never seemed to get linked to these guys.
Speaker 5: No, we don't know the big idea now, we don't know whether they've got plans, you know, behind closed doors and they've had to run at them and they've just got a flat no. But you find a lot of these key forwards get locked up.
Speaker 2: For a considerable amount of time.
Speaker 5: But what is the big idea that they're throwing up on the whiteboard like hack they executed, I think with the advantage now we're moving to multiple drafts that you can trade into, of course with picks as well, but what would be the big idea key forward? And if you can't get one where you've got to shift the game plan because if you're going to just dump the ball along inside forward fifty with no real key options, you're not going to win. You're not going to keep big enough score.
Speaker 2: So we bought in Nathan Jones this year but midfield was a midfield coach. But I'm not sure what else has changed. So that's what I'll never forget when Damion hard because I said the same thing about Damien and it was he stayed. They supported Damien and he she said, it's one of the great decisions they've ever made. But in came Blake Carrouselo. Justin Lepich was in the twenty sixteen sixteen there was a whole suite and he changed and it was a totally different brand of football. And I think if Simon is the state, I think that's what it might be. Need a whole suite of coaches to come in and change his ideas.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to your old club now, Lordy, there's such a hard one to read because they've had some surprise wins and they got themselves in a position where their ladder position was looking okay, but in recent weeks when they get beaten, they get beaten badly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's really tricky, and I was pretty hard yesterday on the decision making.
Speaker 1: Of And that's the comparison to twenty sixteen, which is of course in the height of them dealing with the drug Sarget demo.
Speaker 4: They're thirty four players were banned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm not sure any team could cope with what they're dealing with at the moment. So I didn't like the loss, So I'm not letting them away. I hate seeing any team lose by ninety odd because it's not competitive enough at AFL level when you send out twenty two players but four of their best six defenders aren't playing, so Ridley, Reed, Redmond and Mackay. So we're going to talk about Zach Merritt soon. The reason he's changed roles is because they're that poor back there. Laverdees keep the guys trying to play a role that he shouldn't be and then Jones, Draper, Langford and Bryan so for So they've got probably seven or eight of their best twenty two not playing. So's they're hard to judge this year because I wanted to judge them hard this year and say have they improved? But I think with the amount of players they've got out, it's really hard to talk about him at all.
Speaker 1: And despite the injuries boys, it does seem that there's a similar theme coming from brad Scott even after heavy losses, and that that is there's a certain way they want to play, come hell or high water.
Speaker 6: I mean, the margin is the margin, but we never went into a game saving mode.
Speaker 1: Let's just get beaten by less. You know, we certainly wanted to come out and.
Speaker 6: Compete and not just sit back and wait for Geelong to overwhelm us. Bailey Dale has the ball a lot. You know, we had a couple of plans for him. Clearly both of them didn't work. Bailey Smith and Max Holmes were very very good. Our plans for those two in particular didn't work. And I say plans plural. But you know, we've got to use this as an opportunity to practice against the best teams, to bridge the gap to where we want to be. You know, we'll frame this as an opportunity to continue to get better.
Speaker 3: There's only a big picture approach to what they're doing that there's absolutely no doubt about that, and maybe the injuries have forced that, Jimmy, But when you look at the way he's a merit the captain is being used, is it at or to the club's detriment right now that he's not being used in the way he has traditionally been used in two hundred games of footy.
Speaker 2: No, I think Lloydy touched on it before.
Speaker 5: If you're they're inexperienced everywhere, but where their most inexperienced is their back six, of course, and at least through the midfield.
Speaker 2: You've still got set of field.
Speaker 5: Durham of course is out, but he's been there, called well and big Goldie, so you've got enough experience there to get the job done. And clearly you want to get the ball out of your back fifty and he's got quality in class so it doesn't live back there. But when Brad Scott's talking about the plans they didn't execute, this is the really key important bit is he's got to actually ask the young players the three things. Do they not understand what the plan is? Two are they not capable of it physically or skill wise?
Speaker 2: Or three do they don't want to? So he can actually sift through his list pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: Can you answer those questions for it?
Speaker 5: Well, that's what he needs to sit down with each player. Whoever had the plan on bailey Dale?
Speaker 4: Or what are you seeing as a commentator?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know the third one, and if you find out anyone who's on that third one where you don't want.
Speaker 2: To, that makes your list management decisions pretty easy. Out you go.
Speaker 5: But the other two you can actually address, so you can sit them down, you can walk them through it, you can teach them the skill where you want to be physically not capable.
Speaker 2: Can they get fitter or are they up to the AFL standard.
Speaker 1: I might be reading a little bit too much into this, but have a listen. This is right at the end of the press conference. I wonder if this was a message from Brad Scott to some of his older players.
Speaker 6: We've exposed players to AFL footy that wouldn't have played otherwise, and you know there are some of those young boys that I don't think we'll go out about saying for a long time, regardless of who comes back.
Speaker 1: So he almost finished the answer and then through it regardless of who comes back. That to me felt like Brad Scott' saying there's a bit of a change of the guard here, like we've been having on the weekend. But I see a way out of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's guy's like I think Sheil Sadus Hobbs who all played in the and Davy who played in the seconds over on the weekend. And then that got guys who are all injured who they might he might be questioning Ardiston, Hobbs A top picks they come, yeah, but they just haven't been good enough unfortunately.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 4: Either being subbed out or being used as a sulf.
Speaker 2: That's a statement towards Archie perkos So. I think the belief is that the players that have come in like Roberts, CaCO Caddy have a real first for it, an energy, an energy, whereas some who have been drafted before maybe have you know, it's a real wake up call for them. Yeah, and I saw that as a positive as well. Lordy and Zach Johnson.
Speaker 5: And Angus Klark, if they didn't get the opportunity, we will know.
Speaker 2: But looking those two belong at AFL level.
Speaker 3: So Jimmy, they're run home and the draft picks have now got at hand. What does the rest of this season look like for them? And what do they do with those particular picks. When it comes to the type of player that they'll be seeking.
Speaker 5: We'll go back to the draft again, because clearly they're looking for young talent.
Speaker 2: They want to build for the future.
Speaker 5: The big decision they've got to make moving forward is what they're doing with Draper. Now, he'd probably get likely demo the magic herbs and spices as you love to talk about. He'd probably get a banned one compensation for him, which gives you three picks around the first ten let's call it the first dozens, and Draper get a band one?
Speaker 4: Would he?
Speaker 5: Well, what the contract would be offered? And then it always comes after your first pick where and then they're going to finish that. That makes three picks in the first twelve or so would you do that? Well, depends on what they say from their other young ruckman they've got on their list. Do they back them, do they trust them enough?
Speaker 2: Who's worth more on the market moment, Draper or Oscar Allen? Well, you know what I mean, like you, because Oscar Allen the Sun's going to be banned one and isn't Draper?
Speaker 1: Who would you be taking first up against the school yard wall?
Speaker 2: Well, I think Draper's got more upside with what I've seen from coming off as season and yeah, yeah, so I think what he showed previous. So Brisbane are in for both of them, I suppose. So I just think that Brisbane need a ruckman, probably more than they need to keep forward.
Speaker 1: Right now, so we know the Bombers were disappointing. The Saints were pretty disappointing as well, and they can be sort of tied together in many ways given their their ladder position. Than the fact that their fans are quite frustrated. But I think the way they're going about it is quite different. And this was very interesting from former West Coast Premiership coach Adam Simpson on the weekend.
Speaker 8: What mcold is doing now at West Coast it's ball movement, speed ford hand or we're going to chase an identity and we're going to start here. And if that's what Securita are doing, what are they chasing now?
Speaker 1: What's the little things.
Speaker 8: They're going to tick At the end of the year we won six games, eight games, whatever it is, but we took a step forward in this progression of our style of play. Or is it just well, let's just get through this year. We're not good enough Townent, it's not there. We'll coach as hard as we can not to lose by a lot, which I've done before as well. It feels like he's in that space as much as it's hey, we're heading this way, we're playing this brand, We're going to be hard to play against them. Whatever it is internally you're chasing and you project.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, Jimmy, are you are you guys seeing that? Are you seeing a team lot Ross unlike Essendon who are just mistigating the heavy defeats.
Speaker 5: They've got a lot of young talent on their list, and I know I've been pretty positive about their young tale here on this panel, but I think it's now an opportunity to give them more games and actually start building and connecting together. The issue of the Saints have got is they've got some very senior players above twenty eight twenty nine, and then they've got this big band below twenty four. Maxiking is probably the top of that at twenty four, but they don't have a lot through that middle section as well that can help them go through it. So I'd actually like to see more of Wilson and these sort of guys box Shaw play more football played together. Let's see that style that Adam Simpson's talking about. What are you going to play two years from now?
Speaker 4: He's still the king to flector.
Speaker 3: I mean they've now lost seven matches of nine and I feel there in absolutely no man's land. He's third season as coach and he's happened to engage in issues that mean nothing to the form line. This is the crowded debate that he had with Ronni Lerner post mates my.
Speaker 7: Media manager said, Thursday nights are really difficult. Most clubs are really struggling because kids have got to go up for school Thursday night. Yeah, it's a challenging night. But I'd say two of the lower drawing clubs in the competition, I have twenty thousand decent for a Thursday night. I would think pretty good.
Speaker 1: Ross thought it was pretty good for twenty thousand or a Thursday night. I think there would be a debate about that. It is interesting because if you ask the AFL about the poor crowd, they'll point to the fact that, well, our ratings for Thursday night are really strong, and I completely understand that argument. It's a good Thursday night product. You said on radio on the weekend, Lord, you love going home for fullty training on a Thursday, putting the feed up and knowing that there's footy on. I think people would largely agree with that. And yet we've got a situation where we're announcing a two thirty Grand Final start time again, which goes against everything that the AFL is propagating about about crowds. So here we are again. It's become a little bit embarrassing, to be quite frank, that we have this debate every year. The AFL loves the debate demo, and then they announced that we'll hang on. The announcement is there's no announcement.
Speaker 4: We're not changing it now, and it's all you need to remind people of.
Speaker 3: And I understand is a fans association that thinks it's got to say in this, and maybe it does, but there's not one team that asks for a two thirty Saturday game at any stage of any given season. So it just makes no sense, zero sense to play the biggest game, the Marquee game, the Pinnacle game, the one that everyone's trying to reach at two thirty on a Saturday.
Speaker 1: Just beggars believe Jimmy that in a billion dollar industry, the only argument for the two thirty Grand Final is arts tradition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. Yeah, but there's a.
Speaker 1: Bit why though, because of tradition, because it's always been that way.
Speaker 2: I've always liked it. Yeah, the love, the love of just waking up and enjoying the morning and knowing it's two thirty days.
Speaker 1: But if it was pushed back ninety minutes, would that really change your day?
Speaker 2: You're saying four o'clock. Yeah, I wouldn't change the day.
Speaker 1: Now, can get an next time on to night? No, No one's saying night, but I think four o'clock with an extra million viewers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think most people can get to four o'clock. But I'm in the daylight. There's plenty of other big events. I know everyone goes, oh, look at all the other big events at night. There's plenty of other big events that happened during the daytime as well.
Speaker 1: So four o'clock you get both, get the day and then the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no night grand final.
Speaker 1: Okay. One man that we hope will be playing in many A Grand Finals Jamari yugle Haagen. We know he's had a rough patch of late demo, but it was positive signs that he was back at the club at least.
Speaker 3: That all positive signs by way of words, and yes, I'm back here to play. There's going to be a I'd imagine Sam a four to six week runway of him needing to get a fitness training block in before he's even potentially considered for VFL's selection, and then you see what.
Speaker 4: Happens after that.
Speaker 3: I'd still be staggered if he was to be playing senior football for the Bulldogs inside the twenty twenty five season, given the disappointment and the fractured relationships that have basically occurred since the lead into last year's elimination final loss to Hawthorne in twenty twenty four, and the problems that have been there, the mental health part of it. We always packed that into this consideration and this conversation. But ultimately he's made a decision to get back to the footy club. Now only actions will be able to allow.
Speaker 4: Him to do so.
Speaker 1: Swan's next year or not. Sure, Yeah, I've got.
Speaker 4: To think they are out.
Speaker 1: They're a fit.
Speaker 3: I'm in Tom Harley leaving that club at the end of the year. Now, it's not his decision effectively, it's not his, you know, to make that decision.
Speaker 4: Look, we know that the Melbourne Footy Club. We've talked about them BEFO.
Speaker 3: Or whether they want to bring a Jamar Juglehagen situation into their operations which may need some fixing already. Lord Collingwood's I wouldn't rule them out totally, and I still know Hawthorne needs afford in a manner it hasn't got at the moment.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard them link to it. But it just wouldn't shock me.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be falling off his chair if they were to consider it, If he was to get himself fit and ready and at least presentable to the marketplace in a way that he hasn't been since middle of last year.
Speaker 2: You just hope and pray that the last few months he's realized just how good the game is and how much he's.
Speaker 1: Missed it, and how fragile you career can be.
Speaker 2: And also that here the regrets. He's going to have the biggest regrets of his life in ten years time, or it might be two a year's time to say, what have I done? What have I given? Ay, I've given away everything I've ever wanted in my life? And what to do? What to do? What after that? So I couldn't There's no way you could touch him right now if you're any other club, I don't see why how you could.
Speaker 1: Well, it's talent.
Speaker 2: You take the risk, wouldn't you. Someone will take the risk. But at what a base payment?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we saw with Jesse Hogan what GWS were able to do. Gave the guy a one year deal on peanuts and he's now Colin Medlers great.
Speaker 2: The switch has gone off and it's one of the great joys to see what he's doing. And I just hope, hope it happens with Jamara.
Speaker 3: He's contra can just remind people for next year, So that's locked the way effectively regardless. But that would be the year to trade him and get some greater currency if you are the Bulldogs. But if that's predicated on in getting himself fit, committed, ready and through action, not just the pledge.
Speaker 1: Okay, slick start here on footy, classified plenty more still to come, do not go anywhere, including when a win feels a bit like a loss. Carlton's second half blues continue out West. Does North need an attitude adjustment as Clarko's complaints continue, this time about the fixture and more than a blip of the bigger issues at play for Chris Fagan and his raigning premiers. It's all coming up, Flogan. He wanted it to sit up for him.
Speaker 2: He split through a tackle. It's too easy to Charles right now.
Speaker 3: Carlton arm dominating Kerno can go over the top, snapped himself for the.
Speaker 1: End Andrew what was the just to be a quarter time message?
Speaker 2: I will pathetic in the contest.
Speaker 1: Short and swear from Andrew mcwulda he did not miss pathetic in the contest. There's two storylines. Obviously, the West Coast Eagles have been struggling all of the season under their new coach. The Blues have been struggling, though in second halves in particular. Of like their coach and their spearhead had they say after.
Speaker 9: The game, we obviously weren't able to continue to play at the same intensity. The meths of football we want to play, you know, in all three phases is really clear for us. So our ability to sustain that over the course of four quarters shouldn't be determined what the score awards actually doing to us. You're not going to get your own way for one hundred and twenty minutes.
Speaker 6: As a forward, I was loving what we're doing in the first quarter, but obviously you can't play footy like that for the four quarters.
Speaker 5: They can play footy like that for more than quarter though, and that's been the issue the last two weeks. Lloydy that the fact is they come out of the gates really well, and we've seen this not only last two weeks, but if you go back to the start of the season their first half, but the last two weeks in particular, their first quarters have actually scored it outscored the rest of the game. It's they're moving on the forward line. They've got run and zip around the contest, and we know there's an issue with Carlton as far as outside runners. Of course, when Sam Walsh is out the side, apart from Holland's behind the foot, each start is caught way back. There's not too much run and zip on the game.
Speaker 2: No, and you're not going to win games of footy against anyone else. Bottom four sides, which is essenon with their injuries, are playing like a bottom four club and the West Coast Eagles, so I'm not sure what it is. At least they're trying to change things with their ball movement, but I don't know why it just stops.
Speaker 1: So what have you seen that they're trying to change? What have you known?
Speaker 2: Just the run, the overlap, probably the kicking options that they've trained for, because we know how stifled they've been as a team, not just bombing it in and things like that off the back and the change. But yeah, I don't know why it just stops. A quarter time and out of this game.
Speaker 3: Oscar Allen finished off the ground after suffering a leg injury.
Speaker 4: Late in the piece.
Speaker 3: It was off the ball that was diagnosed as a plantaris injury, and that can range from a recovery's perspective anywhere from three to weeks to quite longer than that. Lord, are you of the view now that with his uncertain future as a free agent. We mentioned Tom de Coney earlier in the show, but he, Oscar Allen, the Siwangman, Miller and Marcus Bontepelli are the remaining free agents.
Speaker 4: Are you now of the view that he and.
Speaker 3: The club have now best him not the plague in this year?
Speaker 2: I would be he'll want to get back because he's just had a horror time at Oscar Allen. So it just depends whether his manager gets involved and the clubs all get together and say this is best for all of us for you not to come back and play.
Speaker 1: I thought, he doesn't he have to play more in order for isn't in West Coast best interest, Damon, in order for them to get the band, which would guarantee them pick two.
Speaker 3: Well, unless he does another injury, and it's more serious in this one that he's been diagnosed worth there is. Well, I hate it when players don't play when they're fitting able to, and I don't think he is. I mean, he looks banged up, he ban, he's over every part of his body.
Speaker 4: Including the leg that went down.
Speaker 3: He's really only had the one complete season of football in the eighth that he's been on a list, and that was an extraordinarily good season.
Speaker 4: And I know that.
Speaker 3: There's massive interest in him, but there's a bit of steak here if he used to go down again. The currency on him Sam is of a I think, a delicate nature, and we know the magical herbs and spices will get it to what the AFL needs it to be to help West Coast with that scenario, that's a given. But they're only going to get those offers if he's fit.
Speaker 1: So you're saying the AFL manipulates it.
Speaker 3: Well, they will give them the first band, the first round of compensation if he does go. That's close to a guarantee.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous that we're talking about this, like if they were a mid table team, if they were tenth right now, there's no way that they'd get a first play.
Speaker 2: So for them to get picked too. What's the number saying.
Speaker 1: If we don't know, this is the ridiculous, but it.
Speaker 2: Is that nine hundred plus.
Speaker 1: Well it's the total value of the deal, but you're looking at nine hundred plus.
Speaker 2: For at least year terms and those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they'd nearly drive him to the airport.
Speaker 1: They they'd have to because it's picked two.
Speaker 2: That trick.
Speaker 3: So it's like when Melbourne got pick three for James Foley I know where, many many years down the track, but that contract he got at Hawthorne was not worthy of a pick three in the draft, which Oscar Allen's in.
Speaker 1: North Melbourne got ever so close from making it two wins from two games in their trip over to w A. Clark the coach though, Alastair Clarks, and that's some fascinating comments about the fixture.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'd like to be like the Pies and just put the MCG motesweeks. Scotti Penleby was on the claim when it came back from the Hall of Fame on Wednesday. He was laughing about the amount that we've had to travel compared to the gifts that they get playing at the MCG on a regular base.
Speaker 4: But that's the Collingwood.
Speaker 10: Side were able to generate their revenue from their crowds and their opportunities they get to play at the MCG and North aren't in that position at this current time.
Speaker 1: It wasn't actually sure Demo want to make of that when I was listening, because he had a smile on his face at the start, but it was hard not to laugh. As well as the situation like they're comparing themselves to Collingwood but they've just finished selling to homegun.
Speaker 2: That's the first point saying that was his point. He's saying that Collingwood don't have to and we have to.
Speaker 1: They didn't have to sell the home games. They didn't have to.
Speaker 2: You're saying they don't need the money.
Speaker 1: Now. Of course they need the money, but clubs need to prioritize winning before anything else. It's no good North Melbourne getting to the end of the year and saying, oh, well we finished bottom full but we made a million bucks. That doesn't help you support.
Speaker 2: But wouldn't you say it was a great success for them?
Speaker 1: No, I don't don't. I don't see it as that at all. They win that game if that's played in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's given either, Sam I and I've been crittical of them for I don't think it's a given that they beat Freemantle just because of hang on.
Speaker 1: The last game that Freemantle played from my memory, they got rolled by Securita by ten goals. They don't have a good record at the ground that's North Melbourne Time Ground. They lost that game in the last three minutes because of a Luke Jackson goal. They don't have their first pick. They need to win games of football, and you guys are saying that. Honestly, it wasn't the difference between.
Speaker 2: When that's a major, major sponsor, so they don't probably get sponsors for off trees for them, and so that's pretty much in the space for two weeks. They probably get a major sponsor in the space of two weeks. So I got no issues with it.
Speaker 3: LORDI, you're big on the sub rob being used for certain plays in certain ways that five use it well. On the weekend, he came on just before three quarter a time and had a good last quarter, was effective in what was a crunch last quarter for him. How often can he play this role as he comes back from another injury and easy the right man to keep using this role.
Speaker 2: I would have him in the twenty two day this week. So I saw enough from him. He's a proud man. Yes, you'd love to see him use it a little bit better. He got caught occasionally in this period too, but I liked what I saw as well. Big body when he's not inside midwordy of playing and what can he do in another role? But I'd have him in the twenty two this week.
Speaker 1: Plenty will coming up on Footy Classify. I do not go anywhere because when we come back on the other side, Matthew Lloyd is going to tell fifteen sets of supporters don't worry about the last few weeks in the year. You cannot win the flag. There are only three that can win it. That's right, lord, you reckon it is down to three. But as we go to the break, it is a huge show tonight coming up after Footy Classified. It's players. It's Josh Rachelley, Gi card Well and Oleague, Markovs the Magpie on the show. This show has been going game buses on YouTube, on socials and right here on nine and make sure at the end of Classified you do not go anywhere it's players, welcome back to footy classified time for the water cool of the thing that everyone will be talking about in the office tomorrow. And Lloyd and you're about to upset fifteen sets advanced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's at this point this season. We're going to get to where teams just hardly lose a game from this point on, so they'll only lose one or two the Premiere from now to the rest of the season. And the ladder of where it stands right now, and I have the top three and I cannot who are a challenger for the premiership. That's Collingwood, Geelong and the Brisbane Lines. But I can't mount a case for anyone else really in the competition, none of those. No, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Not acknowledging that Brisbane Lines last year's Premiere wasn't even in the top.
Speaker 4: Eighty, because that's not must year.
Speaker 2: I'd banged on the door for that many years that I think that's how you do win a premiership. The Adelaide Crows haven't been in the finals. I don't think they come from anywhere.
Speaker 1: Books can't with it.
Speaker 2: So the Giants are a team who have banged on the door for a long, long period of time, So they're one that could potentially come from Hawthorne. No, they've just been too inconsistent this year. They're four lines are concern. Their depth through the midfield is a bit of a worry. I'm happy for you guys to amount a case, but that's how I feel. I'd like to mount a case for the Dockers.
Speaker 3: Am I being silly though in thinking that eight five that they could do?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 5: They've got potential when they play with the speed that they have in recent.
Speaker 2: Times, they are a dangerous side. But I'm with Loydy.
Speaker 5: This is where they start to make their charge sides. And we often look post Grant Fine and go, oh, hang on, they've won the last twelve or thirteen of the last fifteen.
Speaker 1: What will you do if someone other than those three teams win.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to say I'm wrong unlike some other.
Speaker 1: We went to.
Speaker 2: That's what I'll do. I'll just say I underestimate like I did Brisbane last year when I thought of that period when you finished fifth and they fell into the finals and somehow they made it work through September two.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't need to apologize for being wrong? And that's the man sitting to my right, Jimmy Bartell, because it sounds like the rest of the competition was finally waking up to what this man said many weeks ago on Classified.
Speaker 3: They're presenting Tazzy in the worst possible way in order to get this stadium across the line?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're trying to say, jim I'm just giving you.
Speaker 5: The data there demo and you make the conclusion that you want that when there's a big debate about stadium with the roof and conditions. But all of a sudden, we have gone from forty four day one twilight and only one night game over that period tome we're playing at night every time now.
Speaker 1: And he was right, wasn't because this game was tough to watch. It would have been tough to be there with a fields like temperature in the threes, but it was tough to watch on TV.
Speaker 3: And how many other people have you heard say what Jimmy said back on March thirty one in the past weeks since this particular game.
Speaker 4: So you'll be ahead of your time, Jimmy.
Speaker 5: Again, it wasn't an opinion, and it was just I was presenting stop throwing your arms up.
Speaker 2: Just think I just need to articulate it.
Speaker 4: Play that grab again, so own it.
Speaker 5: I was just presenting the data and people have now woken up to it.
Speaker 2: That wasn't an opinion.
Speaker 1: Now that you've presented the data and you've seen more data, what do you make of your conclusion that you didn't have.
Speaker 5: I really enjoyed the arm wrestlenie.
Speaker 2: It was a fantastic game that came down to the wire.
Speaker 4: The soccer score of six to five.
Speaker 5: Both of them sprayed them left and right. It was a fantastic game.
Speaker 1: It's just a lot OF's been good with the roof, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Some people would like that. Will they still play in round one of the season they're meant to come in.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think it's unlikely they come in twenty eight now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even in the past three or four days, there's been a further reason to think this whole decision we pushed back some too.
Speaker 2: I still think they'll get their team, but maybe.
Speaker 4: Not, maybe not their twenty twenty eight star.
Speaker 1: The team's fifty to fifty for me.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Not positive this this stadium deal is going to get done. Hey, Brisbane and GWS speaking of arm wrestles, that was one of them. Have you got concerns over Brisbane?
Speaker 2: Yet you always have a few concerns And I look forward to see how I go on Friday night in Geelong with the way they're Yeah, so second half wasn't good. They've got beaten at the contest. Groundball tackles was just non existent. It was a bit of a Hawthorn issue like that. But there was something was in the paper in the Herald Sun on Friday which really raised my eyebrows in terms of this where Levi puts team first, and it was a quote from Levi saying Chris Fagan has said to him, if you have your team first, Mantra, you'll playing this team. You're playing this team. That's to a young player playing in the first season. He's been a star right throughout the juniors and a lot of teams don't go back to back for a number of reasons. That's the lose their hunger. They want to play above the role of our rins. So they're happy to play a role. They want to be more than that. Teams work them out and that's where we're asking the questions of Brisbane at the moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's an early preview into the sledge Aarler which is coming up next on Footy Classified and more including good Call, bad call and hold.
Speaker 2: The Brisbane lines are off slightly in a number of areas, and I think defensive stoppages are one of them. When we saw them two weeks ago. Lose a game against the Brisbane the Adelaide Crows and all this Ben Key is standing all alone in a forward to fifty. Stop it. So Brisbane wouldn't have given that away in the finals last year. And then fast forward to the weekend, Darcy Jones all the time and the space. So they've given away two soft goals and they've lost eight points in the last two weeks in games they could have won if they improved. Moments of that. Dustin Martin, I already miss him and the way he played the game, the fusty Martin fendoff well, Cameron Rainer, This moment just made me think him Dusty. So the barge off surge getting inside forward fifty. If only Cam could put it together for a whole season, wouldn't it be great to see Cam Rainer and all Australian at some stage. Joel Fraser been one of the absolute stories of the year moments, so I thought that was earlier in the season and we saw another special moment from him on Friday night. It was that just tapping it up to himself going forward. He Matt Kennedy the improvement in the western borders because of guy's like Fraser, Willie really heg gives away a lot of free kicks and has a lot of brain faces. Does he not know the rules? So you got to get back nine to ten meters at the edge of the square, so that was one and then just running through the area. For all these good moments, he's letting his team down through his undisciplined nature. Marby Old chol Jeeze was disappointing in the first half. Like Kevin Sheedy used to take me off for one reason and one reason only, and that was being non competitive and being outmarked in situations like this. For the first half he was awful and the second half I'd love to know what Sam Mitchell said to him because he was far more competitive and that was a big, big moment. Well, Geelong, they are team first, they have been for years. Tom Hawkins was the master at it. They've become so unselfish. I saw it in the game against the Bombers. They wanted to share, and then I saw this from Charlie Kurno. He didn't want to share. I'm going forward, I'm handballing over the top. He didn't want to do that. And that's where you see the difference between great clubs and clubs just down the bottom with their team first nature.
Speaker 1: First class sledgehammer from Laudia. But pick up on the last one, though, Lado, would you have handbored that?
Speaker 2: I would have liked to have said, yes, Sam, I would you get back what you give?
Speaker 1: A lot of goals in fairness? Nine twenty six yes, nine twenty six for the great Matthew Order, Hey, just before we go to the break, and good God, bad will coming up. Josh Marny, long time number two to Laura Kane at the AFL, has departed affected immediately, So some more shuffling of the decks at AFL house, with Greg Swan and Tom Harley coming in more fully classified after this, Well we're back two footy classified. Jimmy tell to kick us off on a good call, bad call, Jimmy. The only thing worse than an early crow is a late arrow. Good card, bad call.
Speaker 5: Let's take a look at the vision of Durzmal down late against the Cats. He slots that one down by thirty five points. And oh the bow and arrow is trying to stay on brand. But maybe park the quiver in it the arrow there, just save it for next time. So good call, Sam.
Speaker 4: I said to you, any publicity is good publicity.
Speaker 1: I call back. I think this is a good call from you, Damon. I think this is in astute call you're referring. I think to this from Max Holmes. Seems like our old friend Carrow's had a bit to say about Bailey Smith. Max says, good to have Bad's back, thanks Carow. Well, he's only referring to her. I think any publicity is in fact good blublicity, Damo.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Holmes and Smith are becoming the best midfield one two punch this decade. Good call, bad call.
Speaker 3: Look at this point in Timelo, it's a bad call because as we look at this list of the other one two punches, the twenty twenty one COMBA with Clayton Oliver Christian Petruka, it's the premiership winning one. So they've got the score on the board already, but cave it is if these two do it this year, I will say good call Lloydy as a coach, it ain't over until it's over. Good call back or good call by you love love this call because Josh E. Warrell just refused to give up, and it's Nick Watson who is chasing, and this will go down one of the great moments of the year. And unfortunately they didn't win the game, but I'm sure still highlighted a number of times by Mattie Nix.
Speaker 1: Great chase, wasn't it in the wet as Well demo? Even scn Stable Nates aren't immune to the footy TV wars. Good call back up, it's a good call.
Speaker 4: And take a listen to Volcano and Kingy.
Speaker 1: I said this on the Agenda Setters maybe four weeks ago. So there's no point playing offscrellan anymore. Put him on ice. Put him on ice. Let's have a mature conversation about j Clark.
Speaker 2: Pose that question to a six weeks ago on first Crack.
Speaker 3: It's a good call, it's a one up call, and it's a passively aggressively remind people of who was first called.
Speaker 5: Sam there's a time and place for everything. Good call, bad call.
Speaker 1: Before I answer, let's take a look at Mitch Cleary.
Speaker 4: Now, dogs vans are screaming their TV.
Speaker 1: There's a certain contract call for a certain free agent in yourself still yet to be made.
Speaker 4: Are we expecting those talks to ramp up in the next little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah they should. I think this is a bad call from you. I think any journo with their soul has to ask the hard question. And that's what he's done. He's put his head over the pill.
Speaker 4: Agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love bitch, We love me, Jimmy. Mitch Georgiard is a power forward the footy world forgets. Good call, bad call. I think that's a good call from you, Ldier.
Speaker 5: I know we like to talk about a lot of other forwards, but without Lacocius and Marshall being on the forward line, it's his forward line this year course, Charlie Dixon stepping away from from Port Adelaide.
Speaker 2: He gets the job done.
Speaker 5: He's normally a beautiful shot on a goal kick seven, but probably could have kicked ten or eleven the other night.
Speaker 2: I think he's an absolute star at the pair.
Speaker 3: And LORDO Australia's tradees hate the new Clark go good call, bad call.
Speaker 2: Good call by you damo. Ten years ago Clark I could have been hosting the block. He would have just played and I look at him now, just farkoh he's a mature man now, and just look at this times.
Speaker 1: Class is expensive, disticularly for you in Brighton, the price is a real high. Speaking of Lord, he don't go what do you wear? Because when we come back it's the under.
Speaker 2: Pressure closing cook. I'm a little bit nervous tonight because they're all good friends of mine. But I cooked tonight for the agenda setters because when they came to wear tonight, I honestly thought Hutchie had not paid his electricity bills. So here is the opener of the agenda setters. So I think there was a bit of trickery with their new set. But I honestly thought he hadn't paid his bills. And ten minutes later Carrow, how long has she been in television?
Speaker 1: For long long time?
Speaker 2: A major rookie era from Carrot.
Speaker 6: I don't think Chris Scott is considering, it's considering.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, that's my telephone. What a terrible time for that to happen. That's a new one.
Speaker 2: Slot. No, it wasn't Sam. She's your mentor, isn't she?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: What are you going to say to tomorrow?
Speaker 1: I'll probably steer clear.
Speaker 2: You're going to be Stephen May Max Gorn style.
Speaker 1: Just no, no, I just wish my phone rung as much as Carros did. Who you reckon probably get better stories?
Speaker 2: Who could it have been?
Speaker 1: You think, well, she's a very popular person. It could have been a number of a number of Andrew Demetrio. I'm just is that because she wrote about Andrew on the weekend? Is that? Is that why you're claiming?
Speaker 4: Who do you think?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to comment on that one.
Speaker 1: What do you know? Who was? Have you done?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: Investigative? You massive? Thursday night game? Sorry, Friday night game? Get down at the cattery? Cats or lines? Are we thinking cats? For me?
Speaker 2: Cats?
Speaker 1: Just cats?
Speaker 3: And also g WS Skulker another Massy one Biggest Expansion Cup.
Speaker 1: I think Gold coasted a due for a win there. In fact, I think they're one of the teams that could threaten Lordo's only three can win.
Speaker 2: It, come from nowhere and never make a final series. They're not winning the flag accent.
Speaker 1: They probably can't win it, but i'd really like your prediction not to be right. Thanks for joining us on Footy classified. Remember Tom Morris hosting tomorrow night, no Idie Maguire, It's going to be a Ripper show. We'll see you next Monday, right here at the desk.