Speaker 1: Welcome to a massive episode of Insideline. Justin Harrison in the hot seed as usual, Jamie Panduram is back. Good to see you Pandem for the first time this year. Knichi Michael Hooper, are we clapping?
Speaker 2: I would put.
Speaker 1: Myself I encouraged on this show. Hook made great to have you back. A little update. How was Japan? I was getting back on the field.
Speaker 3: Well, if you want to start with getting back on the field, I was so rusty, so I didn't play a game since started November twenty twenty three. Now I played some sevens, but what I learned is, well, when I was playing sevens and going back to fifteen's, how much of a different game that is, Like it is just worlds apart. And my latest touch in rugby was seven. So I knew I was going to play for about a month, so I was in reasonable condition, got back in shape, trained up in Toyota for a week and then played a B game and then the week later I played against Kobe Renses now team up in up in Japan, and I was very underwhelming in my first first outing in eighteen months, like just stuff like you know, ceiling and getting penalized for ceiling over the ball because I'd been in that sevenths role not trying to kill around the breakdown and take out players, you know, rusty in my timing everything like that.
Speaker 4: So I warmed up and got some decent performances.
Speaker 3: We struggled as a team up there in Toyota, but in terms of I was really proud of getting back on the field, being competitive, playing you know, and playing around some great players. It was awesome, but more importantly for us as a family in the stage of my career, like, it was so much fun to be up in Japan with the family, two young kids doing something you know that I've never done like that. I mean, last time I went to Japan was was COVID. So yeah, it was a great experience for the family off the field, and yeah, very thankful for that four months now.
Speaker 1: When I say we, that's a very much universal and I don't mean to include everyone, but we discussed at length whether you're return to fifteen's in the Japanese League would lead to maybe a fairy tale farewell.
Speaker 4: Fairy tale farewell.
Speaker 1: I got there in the end in that os en Z side against the Lions in Adelaide on July twelveth Timmy Horne in particular, big fan of the notion. He wanted you to be captain, didn't want anyone else picked who wasn't already playing in Australia, but he was happy to go against his own advice there. But is it done and dusted? You won't be featuring in that game?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well you know I paid a bit for Tim to give me a so no, I won't be playing in that fixture.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a great game. It is going to be a great game, really intriguing on a lot of different fronts. We just had a great discussion with it beforehand around how it can look and who's going to play and everything like that.
Speaker 4: What do I know, I've played the lines before.
Speaker 3: I know that they're a week out from a three game test series and it's getting pointy on that tour, and you've got probably a fully fit starting team who's going to play against the wallaby Is a week later, chomping at the bit, battle hardened. And I looked at myself and I thought, well, I've had a good time in Japan. They pour a good assay, they make a nice rice ball at the local convenie I'm about eight weeks ten weeks out of being battle hardened in not a test environment, so I'd have to come home now, train, train by myself, maybe try and get a run for Manly, which would have been cool as well, But come up against those guys in a team that you pulled together for a week and as a young guy.
Speaker 4: Perhaps two years, four years, five years.
Speaker 3: Six years ago, Oh my god, how good as almost thirty four year old who made a fleeting comeback. No, it didn't sound like a game that would be a fairy tale ending for me. Not that I was ever after a fairy tale ending, but a game that wouldn't give me any different. I've had so lucky with my career and everything like that that I didn't need this to be that type of a moment.
Speaker 4: So it was an eat decision.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be great to see, you know, an up and coming player who could come up and play, or you know, someone else who doesn't missus out on the Wallaby squad, or a great New Zealand player to fill that role. I think that's something really exciting for that game. But yeah, no, it wasn't going to be Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: What do you think the focus should be on that game, mate, because we were talking and you know, now we're on Caral, we'll talk about you know, it seemed to me and both of us agreed that it's a great opportunity to have a marquee game in amongst some high powered provincial games and some high powered test matches, to have a marquee celebratory game about this thing called rugby and the global attraction. Therefore, getting the biggest names possible was one of the discussions, right and then also having a performance factor for player attention or say Pete Sarmono playing in those sorts of games that ad merit, didn't it well.
Speaker 3: I think Pete Samo's probably in both categories. Yet a guy coming back in Australia but also a household name, has played a lot of Wallaby games and you know, just been a part of a winning team. So even if he wasn't coming back to Australia, can you include him? I would have liked to have seen the absolute and this is the discussion over what best is, but I'd like to see the biggest names who are available be able to play. And I think that's what this game suits should lend itself.
Speaker 4: To.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, i'd like to see that it'd be you know, we're going to try and get everyone we possibly can, the biggest names who are currently available to come and play, or let's utilize this as Australia a game essentially with a sprinkling of Kiwi. So just to have real clear direction on what this game is, so you know the team's probably going to get released. It's great. I mean, the coaching staff's rock solid. I was up with Ian Foster up in Japan and he's amazing coach, really good Feller, and I think you know, ever's involved in that, it's going to get a really nice touch of you know, a bit of Australian and Kiwi flavor that so no, I would have loved to have seen it be Australian New Zealand Barbarians team who's available. The trouble is is trying to make it all work for people in the calendar how far Like I mentioned around the length and the layover between games for some people, some guys are coming the back end the season. Maybe they don't want to just keep training for another eight weeks because it's going to be it's a daunting task like I say so, yeah, very interesting. I mean you had a bit of a different take on it around the.
Speaker 2: It's just it's well, I guess that notion of best player rights because the other thing is New Zealand. New Zealand all Blacks have a tour that they're engaged in, and also the Maoris. So you sort of down a few rungs on the notion of who decides best and how you do that or is it or not a development? But is it a best of Super Rugby Pacific for instance, who are just out of those test squads? And so a lot of will hinge on who Joe Schmidt releases too is how big is his squad, how much cotton waters you put them in? Is that team actually given a bit of a prerogative to maybe have a red hot crack at the British and Irish lines to soften them up as well tactically for a strat I mean, let's not forget is three Test series, the biggest three Test series that we're going to have outside the World Cups landing in twenty twenty seven. We want to win. We want to win that, right, so we want to sort of climb into this British ice line squad every time we get a chance to as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course, I think invitational teams lend itself to some superstar status, Like you've got to have those names to want to make people everyone's excited about the Lion series anyway, you've got these two standalone games that you're trying to engage the public in. They need superstars like you, to be honest, hoops, And I'm surprised that you didn't. Did it make a difference that they took so long to announce the coaches and we still got uncertainty over who's playing for each team. If they had come to you earlier and said this is the coaching team, we want you to be involved.
Speaker 6: Could that have suaded you?
Speaker 3: No, simply no, because the common sense of knowing what it takes to perform at that level, it's a personal decision that goes up, well, I don't think I could have performed how I want to perform at that level at that time, with the layover, with everything considered at this point in my career, it just didn't seem like a good decision, you.
Speaker 4: Know, for other players.
Speaker 3: Could it have garnered or snowboard a bit you go, oh my god, that guy's playing, that guy's playing, that guy's playing. How can I miss out on this? This is And that's kind of what happens with Barbarians, you know, with the Barbarians matches, you like start to get a bit of a snowball on who's putting their hand up and you go, geez, I, that's got to be a team I've got to be a part of. So, you know, maybe that could have been a thing it done earlier, but as we know, there's three tests that they got to get right, which creates a lot of work. Then you've got to try and max out the super games and these ones are probably tagged on the end and maybe thought of a bit last minute.
Speaker 1: What's the atmosphere or the appetite for it? From your experience playing with training with conversing with the Kiwi guys that are in Japan, like Richie Muwanga is a name that has been mentioned plenty of times. He's got an injury which he carried into the final of the Japanese League. On the weekend, Peto was on the show and mentioned TJ pir N Arashed and Frazell Sewan Stevenson. You know three of those guys are all playing in Japan? Is there real Is the appetite still there that we've heard throughout the year.
Speaker 3: I think the appetites there when you start hearing other people are king and when you start hearing other people are pulling out, what happens there? Oh he's pulling out. Yeah, Actually, I don't want to train faith. We still only get myself injured.
Speaker 1: Aaron Smith has reportedly withdrawn himself. That is that going to affect someone like a Mwanga? Do you think putting his hand up if he's if he's injury free.
Speaker 3: Look, I think all these guys are their own men and they'll make the decision that. But can you get influenced and is there an element of peer pressure? Yeah, like that's what That's what it's about, and particularly those type of invitational games, there's got to be an element of fun for a player to want.
Speaker 4: To want to come and come and play that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Aaron Smith and I, you know, we're in the same team and got along really well, and you know you get a chance to play alongside like yeah, hearing a Richie mungus Key, Well, yeah, okay, that could be really great to play in and then you know some other players and you go, I can't miss this game, but you know, I don't know where that lands right now.
Speaker 1: Panda, do you reckon? Rugby Australia is getting a little nervous because man is injured, Aaron Smith supposedly withdrawn himself and that might that might affect other players wanting to be involved. And of course also there's the business side of it, sorting out insurance, match payments, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: Insurance is going to be a big one at cocause we're talking about big salaries that the Japanese clubs want to be safe from. So essentially the process is going to be that RA will approach players, those players will have to show interest, and then they've got to go to the insurance company to figure out what the value is going to be insured for. And you know, Moung is highly paid, a lot of these guys are highly paid.
Speaker 6: Then they've got to come back in.
Speaker 5: RA has to agree to pay that insurance some and it's like risk verse reward and what's worth it and what's not. Now, if you're not getting those guys, as say, these games need star power, you've got to be luring guys through the gates who not necessarily want to watch Australia A. You know, we've still got the franchise games, the Super Abia games where you'll get to see that. And I think the appealing thing about au n Z and the First Nation SPECIFICA game is the prospect of some of these greats going around again and giving it to the Lions second chances for some of these guys you know who would have played in the thirteen series.
Speaker 6: I love that idea.
Speaker 5: And if they're not getting some of those guys coming through, we might have this hotch potch game where you know, you're essentially just seeing the offcuts of the Wallabies playing, which you know you could have run that as an Australia A game, And I think that takes away from what they initially were trying to do and selling this incredible barbarian style of trans Tasman team.
Speaker 6: What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 1: Good because you've played obviously for Australia A against the lines when they're out here in two thousand and one, and if that's where this fixture ended up being, have we missed an opportunity, A promotional opportunity, A sales opportunity, a ticket revenue opportunity.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's been missed. Yeah, I think the concept is sound. I think it's got a lot of attention, got a lot of people talking, a lot of people leaning into possible team selections and eligibility. And there are some there will be some great names and great players that play play. You know, we've had to win knocked out of us a bit with with Heops respectfully not playing and got to say what a decision. Right to know yourself as well as that mate. But you know, so how do we how do we make sure that this this game makes sense. It still makes sense. It's also the Australia New Zealand relationship is very important in amongst us as well. We are strong rugby partners and that needs to be got right for this match because that hopefully lays the foundation we mentioned it as well. I'll tell you what we're looking into the New Zealand environment when they've got the British and Ice lines on tour in New Zealand to have the reciprocity for this match as well. So let's lean in and make sure that we get these players across the line from news Iland perspective. Who are in Japan. You know, insurances, that's just a number. They'll reach it, they'll cover it. It'll be no problem. They're going into a very professional environment. They're going to well coached environment. To Hoops's point, they'll be managed very well. They're going into a world supervised, wall thought out environment. Now it's the names. It's the names that we're keen to hear. It's not a missed opportunity. It's a great opportunity to see what this Australians Zealand concept two thousand and one is a long time ago Australia. A concept in a Bridge and ice Lines tour is not today. Fans consume rugby differently. They want to see different types of athletes, they want to have different types of access. They want names that they can put on social media and feel like they're running on with. And that's very different to the environment in two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's not forget some of the provincial games in years ago. I have been some of the best, like because it's just a bunch of guys wanting to absolutely tear some heads off Brombi.
Speaker 4: McRae and potentially.
Speaker 3: Like Lines, guys go do I need to just save myself to get to that first Test match, and so there is going I think to your point, this is a week out from game one, Game one number three, so it's it is huge and there's huge repercussions for teams and players in this the British team's team more so than the A and Z and AU and Z team rather because I think they're just going to be having an enjoyable Saturday night regardless. But point being that, it's some big things happening for the Lions team and that's just going to create so much story. Imagine if they're playing someone they've never heard of, and that's not a bad thing because that guy that they've never heard of is probably going to have a barnstorm. So's it creates all these different stories. Yes, yeah, there's got to be names that would be great, but you know, whoever they get is going to be interesting.
Speaker 1: It's a bigger deal if the Lions lose that match or any of the other tour matches than one of those tour sides or provincial sides losing the glow Torch's turned on the lines, the coaching, the environment, everything they ab the cop it they copped it in two thousand and one when they lost to Australia A. They copped it in twenty thirteen when they lost to the Brumbies. So that's enough impetus, isn't it for like the ozite edside.
Speaker 2: Well, in terms of psyche, you know the squad, you know, sort of know that you know. I can only speak to my experience when I was lucky enough to be in the squad one aware of the results and the things happening around the squad itself quarantined in Cops Harbor, but really watching every game blowout scores, absolutely, but watching players coming together for the first time. British and Ice lines squad that are trying to gel and work cohesion. They don't have time to have strategy. They were playing everything that they were going to play leading into test matches on those fields because they need to see them working in game conditions. That's the difference Australia. We talked about Brits Lstein's got six games leading into it. Is that underdoing the Wallerby's I think it's actually giving the Willerbies an advantage. They've played whole Super Roguy specific seasons together. The majority of that's nucleus. That squad been together for two which is what cohesions so important. British nice Lions are going to show the wall of is what they're trying to get right right up until the first test, and they'll have a big library of knowledge to implement. You know. I think it's I think it's great. It's great. Right You've got these two everyone, and it's so close now too, you know, absolutely super specific. We're leaning into the finals. But come on the lines, you know, we can't wait.
Speaker 1: About the first game three weeks away this Saturday.
Speaker 6: So can I.
Speaker 2: Just can I just say, Hoops? Have I heard that you might be available for Classic Waders?
Speaker 4: Well mate, as I said.
Speaker 1: On that point, what did what did playing in Japan do for appetite to keep playing well?
Speaker 4: Full transparency.
Speaker 3: I had this moment back end of last year where I'm like, could I push through to twenty seven? Give my shot itself a shot at well cut at home? And the answer was no, pretty quick, like I started putting my head back in the darks. Is that you've got to put him in, put more weight on, you know, and come up against guys who are chomping at the bit and I'm not chomping at the bit anymore. And the game for someone who you know, ringing wets not get making one hundred kilos is hard. And when you're all in, that's that's awesome. Like I loved it, loved every minute of it. I'm not it's hard to be all in. I get a different priorities, my life, all those things. So you know, that made the decision for me, even though you know, sometimes goog and I was speaking on the sideline one game and I'm like, you still miss it, and like, obviously Justin's been out of the game for a while, and he goes, yeah, you know, sometimes I just think.
Speaker 4: What what if all the second rollers went down?
Speaker 3: You know, there's no one else And I get it because I know that this am Z game is going to be on and you're going to have those same feelings. And I think that's the great thing about being a rugby player, and you know, particularly being close you know.
Speaker 4: To it, you always go what if? What if?
Speaker 6: What if?
Speaker 3: But when you really break it down, and the guys that I've spoken to that I've finished, the juice isn't worth the squeeze after because the squeeze is hard like, you know, it's a hard game and at one point you don't even think about that because it's all about the goal.
Speaker 5: You know, we don't often hear athletes talk about that moment as a competitor. What was the moment you knew that you just wasn't in you anymore?
Speaker 4: What was the moment?
Speaker 3: Probably like a Tuesday training just recently and you saw from the weekend and you're still saw whereas you know, when you're a young young guy, that's Tuesday's your day again, You're into it, Monday, you're even feeling good after a Saturday game, but when you're just trying to get through. And some guys are brilliant at this. They're able to get through a Tuesday, get through a Thursday, and then just perform on the weekend. But that wasn't me. So it does look different for everyone. And so to answer your question, I saw on Tuesday, you know, a couple of tuesdays.
Speaker 4: It wasn't just one.
Speaker 3: It was over a matter of time and you just you know, you've got to clean out a guy who's over the ball, and you just don't want to do it. And then you know you're getting frustrated him because he's stealing the ball at training, but really you've missed your mark and it's on you. And then you know you've got no one to blame or not blame, but you know you've got to be critical of yourself. He's just doing what I would have done ten years ago. So yeah, it was that moment and then you go, Okay, well can I do that for that period of time at the level that I know some of the players are trying to do it?
Speaker 4: And it's a no.
Speaker 3: So I have a probably a big enough ego to realize that I don't want to play poorly, and that's you know, like or play not what I think I can. If I can't add the value I want to add to a team, then I shouldn't play.
Speaker 1: Big enough ego maybe, but that's enough humility too. I would say, if you're able to recognize that, well, if you're ready for retirement, hoops, and I can tell I can tell you right now you're ready for the media because you just took a private conversation with Justin Harrison put it in the public sphere, So welcome to the media.
Speaker 3: I just wanted every past rugby player to know that we all have the feeling you just try to humanize.
Speaker 1: Its practicing that little just in case the Third Test rolls around that let's move the conversation on, thanks for your honesty and taking us into the last six months of yours playing over in Japan. Highly contentious moment from the weekend's games Super Rugby specific we know the Crusaders beat the Brumbies in Canberra and there was a what appeared to be a knock on late in the game by sev Reese wasn't called. In the aftermath, the Crusaders scored a try. It's been heavily debated on stand Sport straight after the game.
Speaker 4: Morgan too was very pointed in his opinion of it.
Speaker 1: It's continued to be debated in the days since that match, but it's led me to this question and I think it's quite fitting we got hoops on this week is should Rugby or Super Rugby the competition maybe look at implementing a captain's challenge so that Ryan Lonegan or Alan Alati Friday night could have maybe said to the ref I want to I want to look at that again.
Speaker 6: I want a second look.
Speaker 1: As someone who captain a lot of footy hoops how would you approach or what would you think of implementing a captain's challenge.
Speaker 3: I'd love it, and I liken it to cricket. That's the DRS works, and that system I think works.
Speaker 4: Why does it work?
Speaker 3: I think, first and foremost, it takes pressure off at being a bunker decision or the viewer of the fan going, oh, who's a bunker?
Speaker 4: Who's this getting involved?
Speaker 3: This unknown entity out here somewhere interrupting the game again. And it gives that ability for the captain to come in to reverse the howler, which is what the cricket one was. DRS is brought in to reverse that one the umpire just completely misses. So I think what that will do is it will give more ownership to the official, the referee, the man in the middle. And he has the hardest job. Like, I don't care what anyone says, he has the hardest job. He's going to get scrutinized regardless win, lose or draw. Like if he play, if he plays, and I say play, but if he officiates his best.
Speaker 4: Game, no one's going to say a word about him. That's a hard gig, isn't it. Like you want to like no one.
Speaker 3: Maybe there'll be one article, pander, would you write an article about a ref who really refereed the game?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: No, absolutely, but it is the thing. I also like this idea.
Speaker 5: Now, Super Rugby's got his concerns because they've done everything to speed up the game. They worried that you introduce a capitalist challenge, it's going to start slowing things down. But if we look at the NRL example, nine out of ten challenges fail, and it actually highlights what a good job the refs are doing, where players and fans feel like they've been done over so many times. I don't mind it. If as long as it's you one, you get one shot at it. If you fail, you lose your challenge, and it does give you an opportunity for the Subaru subcases. Now, I am told that there is some footage of that incident that hasn't aired that appears to show that Reese put it backwards. Now, from the naked eye, it looks like a knock on every day, But that might also explain why other officials isn't get involved in that. But as a concept, I think it actually adds to the drama like it has to the NRL, while also ensuring that the referee is looked after it. I mean, most of the time they get it right. They do a great job, and we don't want to discourage young people from getting involved taking up a whistle, you know, feeling like they're.
Speaker 6: Being targeted every game.
Speaker 5: But I don't see any drama with it being a one off challenge and if you get it right, you retain your challenge.
Speaker 1: It's a good point you make about Super Rugby's the problem for Super Rugby in this space is they're trying to speed up the game, which is something you talk about a lot good when we think about getting things right around head contact or reviewing moments and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 6: Is what's the balance?
Speaker 1: But could you maybe treat the last ten minutes of a game differently? You know, the bit way basketball does or the NFL does, is that that last couple of minutes of those those sort of matches can really drag out because you've got timeouts and that sort of thing.
Speaker 6: Could you accept the.
Speaker 1: Game in rugby being slowed down and those sort of championship minutes for things like this to be reviewed.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the message that any any game that isn't fast, isn't a good one is flawed, right, so let's remind usselves about that. Static moments, mauls will put together scrums a great position over a ball and a ball. Still, that's not a fast action, but that's a powerful execution of skill in the game of rugby. You're not talking about speeding the game up to make everything non static. We're talking about the confusion around decisions, and we're talking about technology needing to catch up with the game. So the last ten minutes, I think elongating the game to make it drawn out and to have some sort of different rule structure that's inconsistent with the previous seventy minutes is probably flawed, but absolutely support the captain's call because the other thing it does, Mate, is it empowers the players. The captain actually is the captain and the players will console. It's a bit like, you know, should we kick for touch hoops, we'll go for three points. You know the momentum, you know what's going on, you know your troops, and you know what Sometimes even if you think it's not a knock on, and if your boys ask you to make the challenge, the Captain's going to stick them in up and say I've got your back. You know, no problem. I think that the issue we're going to have is technology. We need the technology because just to your point that apparently there's footage floating around that shows us not a knock on the advantage of the RS and tennis as well, is it's indisputable. You know, the line is the line, and the technology is caught up and you can see the heatprint of the ball and those sorts of things. The league is a bit better too. They put a lot more resource into their bunker than what super Reguipacific does. So I think it's a great it's a great solution for involving the crowd, empowering the players, and adding some intrigue into the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the game is completely imperfect that like to talk about tennis, You talk about cricket like it's straightforward, like so I think, yeah, the balls on the line or yeah there was sneak through, it's clear as day, whereas rugby is so imperfect.
Speaker 4: So that's why you know, we've got to actually play to that as a strength.
Speaker 3: And I think empower the referee that yeah he's going to make mistakes like all of us players did, but and do all the time, But how do we make him get better and better? Well, that's give him the ability to make the decision, because if he makes it, you know, twenty minutes into the game, no one really talks. But like that's your I think, what's so clever about your point? You can't just have this last ten minutes where everything gets reviewed and everything gets looked at, because what if five minutes into the game our team goes seven neel down and there was a glaring knock on. But you know that's just as important as the last ten minutes where they're playing with seven point line. So it's like, you know, it's got to be across the whole game. I think it is the same. So I agree with that. And then we just got to give ownership. And I think, how do you give ownership as well? You've got to take some things away from the ref So I think the report system and I've said this for a long time now, but Rugby League has the report system down pat up. In Japan, there was a real difficulty around you know, you'd go back six seven phases for a potential head contact. Game stops, they go, referees go away and watch, you know, watch the tape is it head contact, yellow card, and then it goes all the way back to that point. So I think rugby has to be you know, a two phase, maybe three phase, I don't know what the number is, but two is anything before that can't involve. If there is an involvement, gets the word down to the ref on report or if it's a knock on hands in the ruck, that sort of thing that's just let go, that's on the ref. I would like to see that to help the ref have more ownership, and then we support the refs as we best can, and there's I think there's some great ways that we can do that better.
Speaker 1: In there problem though, if you put someone on report for something that happens six to seven phases eight phases back, but there's no punishment for that act, then someone's kind of gotten away with it.
Speaker 2: Call only after one game, after the first game that that's introduced, and someone's put on report and sanctioned postgame meaningfully if it's if they're guilty, of course, but and then every legend, every player will then be on notice that in the game you are under scrutiny, and not necessarily at the end the scrutiny so yeah, they are. But our point is that we don't want to stop the game necessarily. Unnecessarily, we want to put trust and empowerment in the referee. The whole game is it's a violent disagreement, it's a whole The whole game is about exposing everyone to a human error. It's about finding a fault in skill and making someone make a mistake. So to the referee. Every tactic, a lot of strategies are about going to the nth part of the law and then taking off a few more centimeters to get away with see what we can do. We need to empower the referees in the TMO and we need to trust that relationship. The TMO needs to be able to lean into the reference. Say mate, there was a knock on two phases ago, maximum two on the twenty two is a scrum for X team on the twenty two. Thanks for the heads up, no problem. Or there's an incident on report inform the captain Michael, you know your number six has been on report. After the game, we're going to sort it out.
Speaker 3: You got to think, from a player's point of view, agree with that one hundred percent. What happens to me if I miss six weeks, I miss opportunity to get selected, potential match payments. So that's my contract opportunity to get resigned. If I'm in a contract year selection, I then give the next guy an opportunity to play six games ahead of me. Like, the repercussions are massive. So to say that the Grand Grand Final would be an interesting one, can.
Speaker 4: I just can you go back and take out Dan Carter and in a World Cup final?
Speaker 3: Well maybe you look at that, but you know, I think in terms of no one wants to miss time and if it's avoidable, which it is avoidable, Like, I don't think the system's working at the moment. And we saw that in the Forced War Tars game that we discussed about it. That's a clear punch thrown and nothing was done about it.
Speaker 1: About the fergusly Worn incident, we looked it appeared that he punched Nick Dolly.
Speaker 3: So we appeared he did punch Nick Dolly. So okay, I loved it. It's great TV, great rugby. You know he still can't. You know, the Biff is great, great to watch and everything like that. You know, it makes makes real enjoyment. But okay, they don't want to do anything on the field on report, or would have been.
Speaker 4: Interested what he would have got on report got four weeks already have the report system. Because we have the sighting.
Speaker 2: System independent sideing commissions.
Speaker 1: You cannot even get penalized and still be sided. So you could effectively not be put on report and still be sided. But there appears to be some serious flaws.
Speaker 6: In the siding.
Speaker 5: I'd love to see some explanations that would clear up a lot of things With fans. We have a system so coaches are clipping up incidents from every game and sending it off to the referees' boss in Australia Brendan mckibbon, referees boss in New Zealand Chris Pollock every Monday morning. They get a bunch of them, sometimes more than thirty, and they get explanations and when the guys get it wrong, they put their hands up saying, yep, ref got it wrong, TMO got it wrong. But it'd be nice to hear from those guys going this was the decision making. This was why we didn't cite Fergus Lee Warner for a punch. It would actually explain and get clarity. A lot of fans asking this very question. How can you have one game where a bloke gets sent off straight away and then another escape sanction altogether. You know, surely they're accountable and they can give us an explanation, and they have their reasons. It'd be nice to hear those reasons.
Speaker 1: The NRL used to do that. Hoops that used to have their GM of Football gram and as we get up every Monday afternoon and go through a full list of decisions from the weekend, whether they were right or wrong, usually the most contentious ones. Do you think rugby super rugby could benefit from something like that?
Speaker 3: What was the result of that the NRL did people like it? Was it tuned into Did it create extra stories?
Speaker 1: You could create extra stories, more criticated, extra interest because it allowed coaches and players to respond, created more talking points, more headlines. There was certainly that element to it. Do you think there's a benefit from a football point.
Speaker 3: Of view, Well, I hope that more under the lens makes everyone better. Players, players get reviewed, you get talked about by press after the game. Our performance is put on show, coaches, teams performance put on show all the time?
Speaker 4: Why not everyone else? Extra stories?
Speaker 3: But all with the idea that this ecosystem is trying to get better. So that's what I think so great about the coaches being able to feedback to the referees, and the referees love that feedback because they're getting to see insight from an imperfect game. You know, what everyone's thinking and how they can make it better next time. So I mean, you've got to try to find line because you open things up to the world of the internet and you can get slammed and you know all that. You've got to deal with that in a responsible way. But there is a responsible way to do it. Maybe it's a closed environment. Maybe you know, there's an email list sent out or a news to you know, anyone who wants to sign up. But I don't think more content in more storyline and making it more of a drama is.
Speaker 4: Also not a bad thing as well. In terms of the game.
Speaker 1: I can hear fans already calling for referee press conferences postmatch.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, maybe, but you can't.
Speaker 6: I'm not endorsing that.
Speaker 2: The other thing is you don't want to continue to litigate, you know, singular moments in a game and not have the context, interpretation of law, empowerment of referees well, not trying to destabilize the referee and the process. I think it would be helpful this notion of independent siding commissioners. Who are they? You know, who are they? Because because to your point, there've been games I've finished having not been penalized and nothing's happened, and then realized that an independent signing commission has sided you for something that you have to then go to a judicial hearing to explain when you don't have any context. You don't have any except for cold interpretation on the screen and not knowing who that person is.
Speaker 3: And also who is that person? Are they a rugby player?
Speaker 6: Well, that's right, what's the criteria?
Speaker 2: How do they select them?
Speaker 3: So there has to be and I think rugby league again, has a former rugby player, a rugby league player, you.
Speaker 4: Know, a lawyer, you know, someone else.
Speaker 3: I don't know who it is, but there's a bit of a nice spread over who makes that decision. Because we've talked about this. There is such thing as a rugby accident. And you're playing with a guy that's very tall and a guy who's not so tall, and somehow you've got to try and play the same game. So some things just and at speed that weren't intentional. So does that come into the grading of is that an eight or a four week suspension or a no suspension at all? Because two guys just clearly tried to take a ball in the air and the result was bad. But that's kind of what happens when you go onto the field, like again a collision sport, You're going to have some unfortunate events happening, and that doesn't make them okay. You know, we don't want to see that stuff, but it happens, so you know, how can we And that's what makes it fun?
Speaker 4: So how can you balance that?
Speaker 3: And I think that's why you need to If you do put a lot of things on report, who is on that board becomes extremely important.
Speaker 1: It might be something they have to formalize and employ people to sit in that sort of position full time.
Speaker 4: I'm sure we could spend an entire.
Speaker 2: Week just don't tell anyone about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does sound spread out amongst a number of people, but I think we can probably discuss this on a weeks long show. I do want to move on to another topic that's starting to bubble in rugby, as rumors of another rebel league this one entitled three sixty. It's got backing of some highly influential people including Mike Tindall, rugby World Cup winner, part of the Royal family.
Speaker 4: This new rebel league, Panda, Is it genuine?
Speaker 1: Is it something that rugby is that's going to change the shape of rugby?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think so. Look the foundations of the idea of sound. They're saying that every club around the world is losing money or is barely breaking even that is true. We know that rugby, like other sports, is not immune from these financial pressures.
Speaker 6: But has any rebel league ever worked?
Speaker 5: You know, in my time covering sport more than twenty years, the only one that I can remember working was the Indian Premier League, and that's only because it started as a rebel idea where they were going to take players out of the Indian system and all over the world, and then the BCCI got involved and said, well, actually we're going to back this. So it only worked because it wasn't then a rebel league. It was part of the body that owned eighty percent of world's cricket finances. Super League in regular league cause was a disaster caused untold damage to the game. We've had numerous other rebel league ideas. Absolutely, so the biggest red flag in this mate is that they don't have the money behind them. They're going to players offering contracts and saying, listen, if you sign, we will then go to these investors and say that we've got you to sign, and then we'll give you your contracts, we'll get you your money. So it's almost going backwards. Normally you get the funding to start. The idea is you're going to get the top three hundred and sixty players from around the world to commit to this rebel league, give up most likely their test status because you would have to be playing in this rebel league while the Wallabies or England or other teams are playing test matches in those windows.
Speaker 6: I don't know who you're going to.
Speaker 5: Commit to that when you can't come up with the money in the first place. So it's flawed from a number of instances there, I see it really struggling. And the other thing is, while the game is struggling for finances, you'd have to have World Rugby backing. I don't think that there is enough in the pot from independent investors to go we can spend half a billion dollars on this league to play and then rival what world rugby's got coming in. So yeah, I really don't see it getting off.
Speaker 6: The ground hoops.
Speaker 1: From a player's perspective, given you the most recent to actually take the field, how big a risk is that to sign with something that doesn't have the money but is saying if you sign your profile or help us get.
Speaker 3: The money depends where you are. It's all contextural to the player. How do you mean, well, if I'm contracted to Rugby Australia for the next period of time, how can I sign something else?
Speaker 4: Because they're not going to want to release me.
Speaker 3: So there's a you know, we've got people here who know the details of contracts better than most and I think, you know, it becomes really how could they won't let you go? So how can I sign it? So that becomes a very real risk because it pisss off your actual employer, and then is the money even real? And then you know, I think I heard that the international window they would allow.
Speaker 4: You to play.
Speaker 6: There's going to be a clash with the Roman champions there is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so I mean that's going to be that's going to be a tough self.
Speaker 6: For Yeah, so Wallaby would have to go on giving up.
Speaker 1: On the proposed dates would be I think it was April to June, and then it would break and then it'd come back in August October.
Speaker 3: All so say this, this is this rebel comp wanted and by the way, more money for players.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: They get me wrong, but look, I just yeah, it's a hard one to put yourself in that position. They're not going to be able to get the best players because they're contracted right now, got to big players coming out of contract. They've got a big players at the end of their.
Speaker 4: Career or right at the beginning. Is that right?
Speaker 6: Do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You spot on. I think timing and funding are the two big rocks. You know you talk about proposed all the timing and mechanics of it can be finesse right, And where's the risk? Where's your leverage? Where's what does it need to stand up? It needs market players? So if market players are currently engaged in employment contracts with their employer which are binding by the common law, then how can you make that work? Make the success with IPL is because they made it work around the national programs and around the domestic professional program.
Speaker 5: No test player or our plan misses the chance to represent Australia.
Speaker 2: There's your precedent. Just because it hasn't worked before, and rugby doesn't mean a cantwork. Now we've got we've been professional enough to know what we're getting wrong and right. We know that commercializing the game is wrong at the moment and perhaps is spot on as well. The more revenue for players, particularly who the game asks a lot of players, and the more that they can monetize that experience and that skill setolutely go for it. Don't forget also coaches, support staff, marketing jobs that the ecosystem and the sport businesses sport. That's a great opportunity for much more than just the perception that players are going to be mercenary and go and do a cash grab. What they're doing is providing an opportunity for a sporting ecosystem to be created and for lots of community to enjoy it, lots of people to celebrate this thing called sport, you know, and let's not forget about that as well.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So timing and funding, timing and funding and these are not immovable rocks, you know. Anyone who's been in any negotiation in their life that's involved money. It just involves getting to the number. So they'll get to the number probably, and then they need to get the timing, I think is the bigger rock coups. I reckon to keep the sanctity of test rugby a lot, you know, because that's important for the domestic community. Right Our Test Rugby program funds our community, our rugby community, boys and girls that are playing rugby on the weekend, funded by the national program. We need to have that protected, if.
Speaker 1: I recall correctly, back in your playing days, probably early playing days, mid mid nineties, there was a rebel movement.
Speaker 2: What's the whole reason Super rugby is here is and Fox was created. World Rebel rugby was the thing that was happening. We had signed contracts because they were the only contracts given to us at the time. One hundred and eighty players from Australia had signed. I met George Gregor in a cafe and campus s ign'm a little contract, and then spring Box negotiated to cross the floor and signed as the current world champions with Fox and News Limited. So then after that everyone else went across the other side.
Speaker 1: So were you offered money at that point, so there was money behind it there. I feel like this is the big sticking point in this latest rebel movement. And well, for all, you know, for all genuine intentions they may have, or confidence they may have in their business strategy, that's a big deal. Like when Super League arose in Rugby League, they were offering big money for players to sign live golf had big money backing it for players to to come away from the PGAs if they don't have money. I think their buckleys are really convincing anyone of great profile to join this rebel league.
Speaker 4: And why would I watch it as a fan?
Speaker 3: I think that's a big point you got to ask with in terms of the game, Like you watch.
Speaker 4: Australia because I'm Australian. I want to see the Wallabies win.
Speaker 3: And that's why World Cup is at the third biggest event in the world, because it's patriotic. I go down I support mainly my dad played for Manley, Like, so does a rebel league have that type of thing, which is what rugby's built on, is the community element?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That would be my challenge to it is you know, okay, I know sever reason's talked about Richie Muhanga. You know barely you know these guys, some of these players are playing and they're going to be in this team.
Speaker 4: Am I gonna watch it like at three o'clock in.
Speaker 3: The morning in Brazil against you know, for a team called the I don't know what the would be called, Like, I don't know if I would. We've got to remember Seven's just you know, is pretty much this style Grand Prix style? And what did they lose last year? I heard some big figure thirty get dirty.
Speaker 5: And have revamped it so that they've cut it to twelve teams and eighteen point tribalism.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, like that's why that and that is patriotic that we are supporting Australia there, we are supporting New Zealand and all the rest of it. So you know, I mean you go down to a man the ringer game and that thing you can't get in, and I know there's elements of that across the world. I'm interested why, you know, why does a rebel league I think everyone have their own opinion.
Speaker 4: Why would a rebel league try and pop up?
Speaker 3: And why would this crew try and do it and not just try and pump money into.
Speaker 4: You know, an.
Speaker 3: Existing model or how do you make you know, what do the EPL teams, the Premier Football League teams make money?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I don't know would half of them? Do half of them do?
Speaker 3: Like? You know, could you get a WASPS? Could you pump money back into our wasps? Could you pump money back into a London Irish? Could that be an EPL? Like if that's what they were going for, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, they've made the claim that so seven out of the ten English clubs are losing money and three are barely breaking even.
Speaker 6: But again, is there a window here?
Speaker 5: I mean, if you sign a Wallabies contract, then you've got to play super rugby. That's a lot of games, and then you introduce this other thing, which could be an IPL style of tournament. Is there a window that actually fits where a player could make good money for a six week stint for one of these new clubs.
Speaker 6: Is it possible to fit it in there? Google hoops? I mean, how does that work?
Speaker 2: Borrying continuing on with her, why would this sort of environment. One thing that rugby's starting to become very good at is cannibalizing itself. All the different governing bodies and clashing seasons, competition ladders, and we're trying to get this World Club competition off the ground now as a concept. That's a great concept that carries fandom through which came the same jersey. It solidifies and and validates the competitions they're in as the premier club competition. Then it elevates them and drags all those people up. So why could you not say to these people, mister Mike Tindall, you've clearly got some time on your hands, why don't you put your energy into actually finding a funding model that supports the World Club concept, because that engages existing domestic programs and validates national programs as well. There's a window carved out. Everyone's got an in principal agreement. How about we do that instead of trying to work on this third planet over here. Maybe that's something.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll get Mike Tindall on an inside line and we can ask you all those let's kid him. Great to have your back in the country and great to have you on inside line in person for the first time. When we did you have it on a zoom when you got a delivery from menu log or something like that.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: Panda great to have you back, and Google always good to have you. Great cheese gents,