Speaker 1: Do you drive along Henry Lawson Drive at Padstow Heights or specifically Alford's Point Road, River Road, Resby because I received this message from James. James says I wanted to bring up an issue regarding Henry Lawson Drive Padstow Heights. There are a number of large heavy vehicles trucks parked alongside the road where they're serviced and they're washed, looks like they've been abandoned. On top of that, people seem to be dumping rubbish there. There are currently about four piles in that section. I've co tacked the local council. Nothing's being done well. I've been sent some of the photos and we're not talking bags of rubbish being dumped. Looking at the photos, lots of tires, old tires. There is a piano or maybe it's an organ that's been dumped and a lot of other rubbish one three one eight seven three. If if you're from that area, have you seen the rubbish that's dumped along Henry Lawson Drive. Now we contacted the Canterbury Banks Down Council about this. They say Henry Lawson Drive is a state owned road and the respect coonstibility falls on the RMS, having said that if counselor is made aware of dump rubbish, steps are taken to ensure it's removed. Recently a councilor report outline some of the measures being undertaken to prevent illegal dumping. Transport for New South Wales. Who's sort of response from them? They say dumping is a serious offense. Transport for New South Wales has identify where this is locating. We're working with the appropriate contractor to remove the offending material. If people witness I legal dumping, you can make a report. Okay, let's talk to James. James, tell me what happened? What did you see?
Speaker 2: Hi Clinton, thanks for having me on look. I contacted to raise you about this ongoing issue at Henry Lawson Drive at Padstow Heights, especially between that section of though that you're talking about. What started to be one or two trucks about four years ago has now become a makeshift truck devot with about thirty heavy vehicles and trailers regularly parked there, and I noticed them being washed and serviced on the road side, which is causing what I think would be possible serious environmental concerns. It's also a safety issue. It's on a blind corner, so when the trucks are pulling out of there, there's been a lot of misses that I've witnessed, and I'm sure other people have witnessed as well. This spot is on the Georgia's River catchment. It's right alongside Little Salt Pen Creek and the Georgias River National Park, and it supports a vital aquatic mangrove ecosystem, and they run off from these oils and detergents and waste. You know, it threatens these areas which are critical for the quality of the water in our local wildlife. And to make it worse, it's just been used as a dumping ground. This has been happening for years. The locals are fully aware of it.
Speaker 1: So I guess you had two issues, he James. You have the fact that the trucks are parked there so using as you point out, as a depot. But it's the rubbish that's been left behind, which I'm assuming some of it's coming from these trucks.
Speaker 2: I'm not blaming these truck drivers. They've got to park their trucks somewhere, but I believe it's not the appropriate location to park them. But there's trades people and that are just been reverting their dump trucks. They're their little tippers and their trailers and then just chucking the stuff out and doing the runner.
Speaker 1: I wonder whether maybe it's and we're just speculating here, whether some people are dumping all this garbage. And as I mentioned that, we're not talking just bags of rubbish. There are a piano and one of the photos have been sent because those trucks are parked there. Whether they think they can hide the rubbish effectively behind those trucks.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Yes, it seems to be more behind the trucks than than out in the open. But there's a little park that no one uses unfortunately. It's a beautiful little spot where the ROMs does truck inspections and that's a regular dumping spot too.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks letting us know about that. I'm going to put you in the running for our Word on the Street. We want to actually get this rectified, obviously by the local Council of Transport for New South Wales. Good on you, James.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you see something around Sydney that we should know about, that's what word on the street is all about word on the street for temper, a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper and James is going on the running to win our temper cooling pillows tomorrow. So if you see something like this, let us know, but been trigued to know whether you've actually passed this spot Henry Lawson Drive. Look, it's such a busy part of Sydney and Padstow where there's just this piano. Actually looks like it's been sitting there by the side of the road for about a year. I don't know how long it's been there for. So Transport in New South Wales that they say we take this issue seriously dumping. If you witness a legal dumping, you can make a report through rid rid online, which is rid online, dot EPA, dot NSW, dot gov, dot AU. And the council is saying, look, it's a state owned road, so effectively it's the responsibility of Transport for New South Wales. But if you see similar things around Sydney, let me know about it. One three, one eight seven three is our number. If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton on to gb Tarngad Zoo is running a special fundraising campaign today. It's called Taronga Giving Day. They are rising funds raising funds for the Wildlife Hospital at the zoo. They care for hundreds of injured and norphand animals every month. Often if you see a I know whis has this relationship. If they see an injured animal by the side of the road, they take them to wronger for help. But the zoo is trying to raise some money to the hospital hasn't had any renovations in decades, so they're trying to raise some money. If you want to give to Taronga, there's a website give dot Taronga dot org dot au. And of course all donations over two dollors are tax deductible. Now every contribution that's made today is quadrippled by the Zoo's very kind partners. So it will help raise money to keep this hospital in operation and to upgrade the hospital. But in recognition of the fundraising campaign today, I've got a couple of double passes, a couple of family passes to give away. In fact, I'll give away one now, but I'm not gonna make it easy. You've got to guess what this particular animal is okay? One three, one eight seventy three. What animal zoo? Animal is this?
Speaker 2: Huh huh huh.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say whale. But you don't find a way on Taronga Zoo, do you. I'll have you in the heart. Okay, what's that sound? One three one eight seven three, And our winner will get a family passed together to Rhnggazoo.