Speaker 1: National Days brought to you by Orange Cream Biscuits. Nothing goes down better in the middle of the night than a beautiful orange cream biscuit and a nice cup of tea. That mob that's supply the biscuits. How come? So I guess it's a different brand or something. We never see Vovos or any of those classics.
Speaker 2: No, that's because we don't have We always have the cream biscuits. Well, it's probably a good thing because if you put in the non cream biscuits, it's the Scotch finger biscuits. They are always the first to go, you know, houses a pecking order. Yeah, same as orange cream biscuits as a last left. And I said to you earlier, Mike, I'm falling off the wagon.
Speaker 1: Did you I did.
Speaker 2: I had a big handful of orange cream biscuits, orange slices. They're actually technically.
Speaker 1: Caught as have you had to now buy several new pairs of trousers.
Speaker 2: But just in the last what three hours?
Speaker 1: Yet they can be sudden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I did a lot of walking on the weekend. I did a big coast walk down there, and also I was out today walking, so I have done a lot of walking. So hopefully I'm countering it.
Speaker 1: So you're hoping to be rewarded by not expanding in the gut department.
Speaker 2: I hope so, Mike. But I think sometimes it's, you know, you've sort of reached a point where it doesn't matter how much exercise you do, it's you know, starts thicking out the waistline.
Speaker 1: So do you have any days?
Speaker 2: I do? And now I'll be interesting to see what you say about this, because it's something I still enjoy, especially around this time of the year it's National Polage Day. Porridge person not.
Speaker 1: That much I got into the habit of because I'm not a big fan of milk, of having oats with fruit juice and some berries to it.
Speaker 2: We've had this conversation that's my stomach is churning just well.
Speaker 1: I know you think it's sacrilegious, but now I haven't eaten notes for a.
Speaker 2: While, but obviously it's sacrilicious sack delicious. Yeah, but I think there's nothing better than porridge, particularly if you have some cream, If I have some leftover dollop, if I've been having some apple pie.
Speaker 1: And sugar and cream and porridge isn't bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think i've got any brown sugar, I usually use the raw sugar, though I don't use white sugar very often.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the raw sugar. It's kind of crunchier, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but it's I think it's just a little bit better because it's not refined. It's not totally brown, because I eat refined bread like I've gone back to. For a long while, I would only eat bread that was either you know, four grain or brown and what have you. But if I buy Baker's Delight white bread, oh my.
Speaker 1: Lordie, a lot of it's very nice.
Speaker 2: Indeed. But before the invention of baking ovens, porridge was the most essential part of a British diet. Porridge. I didn't realize it was actually called gruel as well. Yeah, I always thought gruel was just some sort of slop the peasants used to eat, or they give prisoners and things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think rules of it all encompassing, isn't it. Maybe.
Speaker 2: But the origin and the porridge can be traced back to Northern Europe, where it was traditionally enjoyed savory. The word porridge first appeared in the sixteenth center and is believed to be a spin off of the word pottage, which is a type of stew.
Speaker 1: Oh, a massive pottage, I would.
Speaker 2: See, I've never heard that word before. Porridge hasn't always been the way it is today. Preparation ingredients varied from grasp born grains to other crops. Quanoa grain has been used for making porridge for more than three thousand years, whereas rice porridge was eaten in China since twenty five hundred BC. Goes even back further than this, with evidence discovered by research is proving that the cooked mush now it isn't even better word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is mushy. I don't like that.
Speaker 2: Texture in the mouth, clingy ricey stuff. No, see, that's where the milk smooths it out, Mike. Yeah, it was eaten by some going back twelve thousand years at the beginning of the Neolithic.
Speaker 1: Revolution, so I think it should stay there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. After people started preparing thick pancakes on stone ovens or hot tiles using porridge like mixtures such as flatbreads are mentioned throughout the Old Testament, but similar innovation simultaneously occurring throughout the world. The popularity pordredge and its many variations lead to the creation of corn cakes, corn breads, corn puddings, et cetera.
Speaker 1: I like a lot of that Southern food in the Southern US, but there's something they have. I'm trying to think what a school starts with you, doesn't it groats or green grits? Grits grits. Yeah, that's the most boring food in the world.
Speaker 2: I don think that wheat based or something.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know, I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just mostly I think most people have heard the word grits coming from the Beverly Hillbillies grizjowls. I think it would be one of Greenny's things to cook up.
Speaker 1: That would be hoggowls.
Speaker 2: I think so in that nice brits and coowls gogiin Yes, yeah, I think this and this ties into the next dates Let it Go. You know, I'd let those glits and gawls go. But let it Go Day is a reminder for you to stop wasting time and energy on negative feelings from events in the past instead of strengthenings. So instead strengthen yourself, you can let it go. Let it go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I like that. The movie that Yeah. We had reviewed this morning about the ninety two year old guy that discovered seventy years ago. The wife had had an affair with somebody.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that looks interesting. I like a good foreign film. I think I'll go and see that. I haven't seen F one yet, but looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. Somebody texted in saying they thought it was dull and comical.
Speaker 2: Ah did he say that or did he say that? The way they treated F one was ridiculous? But that's where I say, it's a movie. It's not a documentary. It's a movie as far as I'm concerned. As far as I can see, the whole point of it is the old dog coming in, You've got the new dog, and the clashing of the old dog and new dog in the So I see that as the film and just having if one of the backdrop. That's what I'm expecting.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Well, the way Alex was explaining it, it just had all those classic storytale yeah pillars to keep it going. But I actually remember Michael J. Fox talking about Back to the Future and he had to explain to somebody that it was a movie and not a documentary about Oklahoma in eighteen seventy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, But that sort of also ties into the amount of letters the Coastguard got when Gilligan's Island was on. How could they not rescue these people? How could you not read all people sending in wedding gifts to neighbors and things when someone when there's a marriage between some very you know, some favorite people. Anyway, if you got anything you need to let go, I've always got something I should let go.
Speaker 1: Oh probably, yes, although it's interesting, you know, having had a bit of time to reflect in recent years, I think you do get things into proportion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, age and wisdom, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's wisdom. It's just I sort of understand the motivations of some of the people who've crossed my path. Oh okay, and I see them as there's a couple I can think I want in particular who I would regard as an interesting study. Perhaps not in the way people would think.
Speaker 2: But I suppose as regrets are like exclusively to people you have had run in with, I mean, regrets are you know, a lot turning left instead of right. There's a whole bunch of things like that. But regrets do little to know good. They weigh a person down, They tend to put a burden on a person's conscience and deprive them of even a little joys of life. That's particularly if you get wound up and you're really obsessed with them. I try not to do that.
Speaker 1: There's some seminars I went too many years ago, as inclined to believe them at the time, but I go with it more now. They said, we're all going over the falls in a canoe, and I think, to a certain extent, life is like that. You know, there are so many things that happen that you can't directly control, so just try not to take too many rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny how you'd explaining that. Just reminded me of probably near the end of Parenthood, the Steve Martin film Neary Steve Brgin.
Speaker 1: I know it's not a film, but I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's beautiful because Steve Martin is so obsessed with things going in the family. And then the old granny comes in just says something to the effect of life is like being on a roller coaster. You just you know, you just don't know where it's going in the thrills of this and that, and suddenly Steve Martin gets it. He sees everything going wrong in the family. All these things culminate, and you just hear the roller coasters sound effects and him like the camera twisting around and suddenly he gets what the and because he dos is very dismissive of what Granny said, but now he totally gets it. And yeah, and then he just rides with it, which was a real I think maybe a lot of people saw that scene and didn't even quite get it right. Yeah. I just thought that was really compelling and it was a good film.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do enjoy Steve Martin's work, but I haven't seen that particular movie.
Speaker 2: Oh you should. It's it is a good and it's a Ron Howard film, and it's got a really good ensemble cast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, oh I think we need a break.
Speaker 1: Okay, Chris says, hello, Dale, help you well, And as an elder, I easily remembered every word in that song and sang along. It was a little sad when thinking of a forty year breakup, to be sure, But it's all about I love you till the bluebells, till in green or something, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I have a tendency of remembering music note for note, but I never remember words. I never listened to the lyrics. I just love the tune and his voice.
Speaker 1: There are songs like that, of course, where the tune is one thing, but the lyrics giving a different sort of message. Little said, when thinking of a forty you break up to be sure, but happily, not overly, so I am h oh. By the way, Oh, both you and Michael have great audio presents. Cheers old timer Sydney Chris.
Speaker 2: You're sending them. Sorry, they're sending us presents. You're sending us presents and audio presents.
Speaker 1: Now, it's p r e. S in ce. Silly, Joe, says I. Mike, my Scottish nan always had salt on her porridge.
Speaker 2: I put it in when I'm cooking it even Isn't you put a pinch of salt in?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think my granny used to us to do something like that, put salt in the possage on the porridge. Mix?
Speaker 2: Sorry, mate, say can you sorry?
Speaker 1: Mike?
Speaker 2: Can you just say you put orange juice in yours?
Speaker 1: Again? Not orange juice? I don't like orange? Oh? What used to put in apple?
Speaker 2: That's not how your make porridge prune. Oh, that's not how your make porridge.
Speaker 1: Mix says I have the ninety second porridge brown show you're in cinnamon flavor. But that maybe there's not or it says you know how you eat porridge. Maybe he's going for the like inflection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the plane piridge.
Speaker 1: That's what mixes well. As long as it doesn't come in a sheep's stomach, I can stomach it. Loaded, load it. Today's a good day, Mike.
Speaker 2: It's also National Family Owned and Operated Businesses Day. Just salute the family owned and operated businesses that have survived over time despite numerous challenges and setbacks. Got a nice little couple of little family owned businesses just up the road from me that sell a bunch of things. It always makes me wonder how they sort of stick around, but because I sort of always walk past it and go down to out of these coals or woolies.
Speaker 1: But there are some bakeries, for example, that you can see the whole family working behind the counter.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what they've got. Probably the best apple pies.
Speaker 1: Little apple pies. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Today's also National Hydration Day. So get that whatever that was you were drinking before, Mike, get another glass fall into you. It's a good idea to keep hydrated, obviously, because it sort of wards off getting things like kidneys and things with keeping everything going.
Speaker 1: Through and I don't want them. I hear very well, you had to pass one.
Speaker 2: I I, God, Mike, haven't I told you a story. I was on air with Sharena when it did, and I was seriously by the end of the show and I thought, no, no, I'm not bailing, and I was. I was like hobbling up because it was a bit of pre recorded at the end.
Speaker 1: I'm not getting anything away. I'd get up. It's eighteen minutes the midnight.
Speaker 2: And then clapped out on the floor waiting for it the sort of finish and so I could you know, but it actually yeah, but it actually passed by the time. The pain was gone by the time it went off air.
Speaker 1: But so you finally got rid of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I had to go and get it. I ended up getting I had it twice and another time I have to.
Speaker 1: Actually I remember now you had it made into a signet ring, didn't it.
Speaker 2: That's the way. It's big enough anyway. So it's National Hydration Day. It's a good idea to keep drinking water, and water always has been my drink of choice. As you know, Today's National Typewriter Day zing.
Speaker 1: One of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a lot of people did. I learned the like I can type full finger without looking at the board. I doubt if I'd go very well on a typewriter, but I always remember that because they've been around a fairwhile obviously, But well, I had one when I was twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they've been around that long.
Speaker 2: It well, fifteen seventy five an Italian printmaker Francesco Rampazetto invented it was called the Little Tactile write, a machine to quickly press letters onto paper. And I always remember that Tom Hanks actually collects typewriters.
Speaker 1: Oh does he?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Today's also Pink Flamingo Day. I'm just zipping through these note because I'm running out of time. Pink Flamingo's Day. This is to acknowledge the popular lawn ornament. Yes, I doubt if i'd I don't know if i'd have one. I like some kitsch stuff. I wouldn't mind putting some. You know, you can get those little garden things of.
Speaker 1: Star Wars Guard.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't mind those sort of things, because I don't mind a bit of kitch. I wouldn't want to put something in the front yard that someone's going to walk by and sort of just you know, I've grabbed that.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose it would happen, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, our neighborhood's pretty good. But it's also one of those neighborhoods that if you have something you no longer want, if you put it out the front, you'll be guaranteed someone will you take it and reuse it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not a bad thing, No, that's a terrific thing.
Speaker 2: So but even the backyard, Yeah, I got a nice bushy backyard, so you know, yeah, maybe if I see one in a knop shop, I might grab one, but also start tying in with that day, it's also National Pink Day. Pink yeah, pink, not as in the singer oh I was going to ask, But it's to actually celebrate the meaning, history and beauty of the pale shade of red, which is pink.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Surveys in both the United States and Europe found pink to be the most common associated with femininity. I suppose you always do, like if you someone has a little girl you'd buy a little pink?
Speaker 1: Are you allowed to do that?
Speaker 2: Now? Though?
Speaker 1: I would still do it?
Speaker 2: My marry fashioned kind of guy.
Speaker 1: As they said in the Monty Python movie, don't you think it's a bit early to be imposing roles? Not at all?
Speaker 2: Imposed immediately? Pink being a subject of recent pop culture to interesting facts about the delightful shade through time. The day celebrates all things pink. See if I can pull someone out sixteen eighties. The phrase pink colored in reference to the flowers is first recorded. Seventeen hundreds. Men who went out wearing embroidered pink clothing were considered masculine and fashionable. Hmmm, yeah, how did that change? Seventeen hundred? Oh, nineteen forties. The baby Booners are the first generation to have gender roles and the preference of the signing them at birth, signifying pink infants clothes for girls and blue for buyers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was that recent? Yeah?
Speaker 2: With that recent? Back in the nineteen forties.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're looking anxious. You don't have to go ye it? Or are you out of days?
Speaker 2: Oh? I thought were Oh no, I missed timing. I thought he was No, I was mistiming. I was looking at the time, thinking oh, we've got to No, no, no, I wasn't out of days.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You've got correct with three minutes, actually curried through some of them, whereas I could have actually talked a bit longer.
Speaker 1: You can if you want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But anyway, going back to pink Flamingo day, because I rushed through that one. Yes, the pink Flamingo is designed. It's been around since the late fifties, and I suppose that ties in with that whole you know, if you look at leave at the beaver, that hole. Was it the nuclear effects? Oh shure, sorry, nuclear family.
Speaker 1: I was going to get you to come in earlier, just so you could say that every time he mentioned new nucular and I run. I thought you'd be worn out by.
Speaker 2: The end of the program now and then nuclear like little Shenanigans. Yes, yeah, in it was a guy called Don Thurston. He created the pink Flamingo while working at Union Products. Two thousand and seven, the production of the flamingo stopped by Union Products. So that's that's a good what's that sixty that's like nearly forty years, So making pink flamingos is probably a bit of a mainstay of people's gardens.
Speaker 1: Thought of having one, I've never No, I've never gone for that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, Well, anyway, this day has been around since two thousand and seven. A guy called Dean Mazzarella. Lenn Musters Mayor establishes June twenty three is Pink Flamingo's Day.
Speaker 1: But I'm not totally against paddock art. I mean, if you've got a paddock and you want to have a rusting you know, old tractor, ol tractor or something, I approve of that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is that art or just the fact that you couldn't be bothered to hauling off to the scrap metal.
Speaker 1: It depends some paddocks. It obviously is art because the paddock is groomed and there's the rusting tractor and others. It's just who cares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I've got a couple of big urns that I have in my backyard, which pretty much for Oh, actually I got something. I've got a twelve foot shark in my backyard too.
Speaker 1: Well, we can talk about that if we get out a chance a bit later.
Speaker 2: It's actually is a big fiberglass shark, okay, which I sort of got somewhere along the way. But back in twenty ten, myke Cato Manufacturing purchases the copyright for li Mingos and continues to produce them. So they did have that little gap between two thousand and six and twenty ten, but someone else said, oh, I'm going to give it a go and keep making the damned things.
Speaker 1: Sharon says, it's pray for World Peace Day? Is that true?
Speaker 2: I didn't see that one, but let me just I'll go outside and it's Sharon kneeling and some praying.
Speaker 1: Sharon is just encouraging that. All right, that's been national days. Him Dale, thank you,