Speaker 1: So I want to go to the gym, but I don't know what to do. I'm intimidated about walking into the gym. How do you overcome that?
Speaker 2: Well, it can be a little scary too, actually, But the first thing that you want to do is actually figure out what you want to go there for.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what do you want to achieve by going to the gym?
Speaker 2: Do you just because your body's going to respond to your instructions by your actions. Okay, So if you just want to go for some general health and fitness, then those are the sort of exercises that you'll be doing. It might be some walking or slow jogging on the treadmill. It might be some lighter weights or just some machine circuit that kind of thing. So if you're just wanting general improvement, that's what you'd be after. If you're really wanting to make some broad sweeping changes, then you'd want to be going maybe a little heavy duty. Oh it's starting, you know, under a trainer obviously, because that could get a little dangerous. But yeah, it's first of all, decide what you want to get out of your time in the gym, because otherwise, if you just go there and clutch its straws, you're not really getting the bang for your buck.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's important to have a trainer to show you how to do everything properly?
Speaker 2: I think it is because injuries from the gym really create a poor relationship with exercise because you go there and you tear something and then you go, oh, my gosh, I'm never doing that again.
Speaker 3: You know that this exercise caper.
Speaker 2: Is just it's awful, and it really gives you an element of fear or trepidation or whatever with with your exercise, and it's never a good idea. So getting someone to tell you how to do these things properly and safely so that you get some great outcomes out of it is a much better way to go, especially if you're a beginner. And if you are a beginner, start gentle, like, don't start at Olympic lifting level, please start nice and gentle.
Speaker 1: I noticed that a lot of gyms actually throw in a free trainer or at least two training sessions when you first join up to I think it's important to find out whether or not they've got that.
Speaker 2: That's really really important, and it's also responsible. They've got a duty of care while you're in their environment. So it's in their best interest because if you kind of go in there and have a bit of a whoopsie and then say, well, no one showed me how to do that, they're actually not going to come out looking too shiny if.
Speaker 3: That's the case.
Speaker 2: So it's a really good idea to listen to their advice, but also make sure you're eating well too.
Speaker 1: So you've got to the gym for the first day, what do you wear?
Speaker 2: You wear what you are comfortable in. Please, please, please, please do not feel that you have to wear the latest exercise gear or you need to, you know, look a certain way or dress a certain way. Please wear what you are comfortable exercising in. Something maybe a little bit loose so you can move something that's comfortable enough so that you can perform a squad without having to worry about anything, you know, falling.
Speaker 3: Out or anything like that.
Speaker 2: You know, you want to be comfortable in what you're wearing and be able to move a comfortable way to be able to perform the moves that you've got to perform. So yeah, please make sure that you're very comfortable. And if you're not comfortable showing a lot of.
Speaker 3: Skin, then don't. Just don't. There's no rules on that.
Speaker 1: How important is stretching before you start a class or before you start training?
Speaker 2: If you are a beginner, it is vitally important to warm up, so please always at least go through some dynamic stretches. And where I say dynamic, that means you're moving and stretching at the same time, so it's not just kind of putting your leg up on a bench and leaning into it. It's actually getting some movement. So swinging your legs a little bit, start with the movements being really small and gentle to start with, and then work up as those muscles get used to it. But always always just start off small and work your way up.
Speaker 1: If you see a class happening that you want to join in, do you think it's important to tell the trainer with the person taking the class that this is your first lesson as well?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yes, and please stand down the front if that's the case. And I know that's really like what nobody wants to hear. But if you're standing down the bank, the instructor in that class can't see you, and therefore they can't go, oh, hey, you know what, you just need to keep your knees out on this move, or you keep your elbows in or whatever, because they're looking at you for your safety, not so they can point and laugh. So it's a real safety thing. Please stand where someone experience can see you and just guide you so that you're not doing anything to hurt yourself. Safety is important.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 1: I've always amused whenever I go on holiday and there's a gym. Then when I see Dad, who hasn't been to the gym since he was at high school, and he's gone and seen the equipment, thought right, I'm going to kind of have a go at that. And then you see them do about ten minutes, and you think, right, you're going to be injured for the rest of this holiday. People forget why their body isn't in the same shape it was when they were at high school. And you can't just jump straight back into it.
Speaker 3: Can you. No, we're not twenty anymore, Toto, We're just not. And yeah, look in.
Speaker 2: Our minds we are, absolutely But yeah, I think that the biggest thing that I tell people is start off where you are now, not where you want to be, and work up to where you want to be, because otherwise, like muscle soreness is real, and it really puts you off.
Speaker 1: Another thing I've noticed is that people start up, they get the gym membership, and they go and then they don't come back. You know, they usually last a week. How do you stick to that?
Speaker 2: I think the whole thing is is remembering why you started.
Speaker 3: So you wanted to get a little bit fitter.
Speaker 2: Maybe you wanted to you know, your pants to fit a little looser, you know, whatever your goals were to start with. That's what you've got to keep in mind, not the not the feeling, because when you join up to the gym, you are excited and you're motivated, and you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is going to be fabulous, and.
Speaker 2: Then the motivation leaves you and you're left flat on the floor and go, well, I don't feel like it today, and so you don't go. You know, I always liken that a gym membership as a bit of a sponsor child. You know, you never meet them, but you keep sending them money. So it's a real it's a phenomenon that happens with so many people with those twenty four hour gyms.
Speaker 3: There's no commitment to them.
Speaker 2: They haven't got any accountability they're left to their own devices, and therefore when motivation goes, so do they. But discipline has to actually kick in there. Because your body doesn't really care if you feel like it or not, it still needs to exercise. You don't feel like brushing your teeth every morning, but it still gets done and your exercise is no different.
Speaker 1: And correct me about this if I'm wrong. I'm led to believe that when you first start out, twenty minutes a session will be enough. Would that be fair?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, because you can overtrain and that will actually send your results going the other way if you do that. So yeah, that's really important. But also it's like, even if you are a seasoned trainer, thirty to forty five minutes is usually enough to because it's more about what you do, not how you do it. For so you can train smarter without necessarily training longer.
Speaker 1: And let's talk about one more thing, and this is also equally as important as the exercise, and that's the diet. Where do you start with this?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, you've got to make sure you're eating enough. So many people nowadays, particularly if they're going to start on an exercise regime, to try and lose some weight, they'll starve themselves and then they don't have any energy.
Speaker 3: They're losing muscle.
Speaker 2: Therefore they're losing strength, and then their exercise is really ineffective anyway. So making sure that you're eating enough is my first piece of advice for absolutely everyone.
Speaker 3: Don't train fast.
Speaker 2: At at least have some peanut butter and a coffee before you go to the gym.
Speaker 3: At least that would be your bare minimum.
Speaker 1: What about supplements and all those sorts of things, because you see people starting and they spend two three hundred dollars on things. Do they really need those supplements and protein shakes and everything that.
Speaker 3: Goes with that.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely unnecessary. And if you have a double shot of espresso thirty minutes before you train, that is the best pre workout you can put in your body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's a great idea, man, make.
Speaker 2: A huge difference to your training. Just the coffee alone and pair that with a scoop of peanut butter and you're cooking with gas there. Yeah, don't waste your money on supplements.
Speaker 1: Please give us a website where people can go to get all the information they need.
Speaker 3: Samantha Jackson dot coach