Speaker 1: Thanks you company on this Friday morning. I hope you're going well wherever you are. I'm Simon Beaumont and here until one o'clock today with my dedicated team. If you ring the program today one double three eight aty two, Shawn Lindsay's with us, Ann Barclay, Mark Dren's with us today as well, and Jimmy on the keys in the studio with me. So if you're on a phone and you can, and it's sad to say, it's Anne Barclay's last day. She's heading off to have a baby, a little baby simone, as it's locally known, good luck to your and so it's Ann's last day. If you do ring in, you'll get Ann for the last time, hopefully not forever. Hopefully she'll be back someday. Call us one double three eight etty two. You can text in zero four eight seven triple nine eight ety two is the phone number we're going to go. There's a pub in Queensland called the Three Rivers Hotel. Slim Dusty wrote a song about it, and a couple of years ago the pub and the town had an ruble a of fly past. The Defense Force flew past the town and they added some windows and broke the ceiling in the pub and it still hasn't been fixed. Two years later, it still hasn't been fixed. We'll go there just the moment, things that haven't been fixed for a couple of years. One double three eight two. Chris Murphy will be in with his magical Mystery Tour after twelve o'clock today, so stay tuned for Murph one of our stellar hours on the show. During the course of the weekend. Glenn Jackovic is back as well. He'll be in talking footy, life and sport after ten today. I have a yes no question for you this morning if you want to tune in if you haven't heard the show before. We always kick off the show with a yes no question. We try and clear something up.
Speaker 2: Right, let's clear this up once and for all.
Speaker 1: And if you're not aware, that's the voice of our gun newsreader here on the station. We've got a lot of gun newsreaders. Philip is our newsreader during the morning, but John comes in the afternoon, so that's John Nichols. So we're trying to clear this up today. Yes or no? Do you use containers for change? Yes or no? Do you use containers for change? Yes or no? And if no, why not? And if no, would you use containers for change if the return was twenty cents per item instead of ten cents? Do you use containers for change? Now, little team here, two or three of our guys do. I don't because I don't drink beer out of those particular CANSO those aluminium cans. But do you use containers for change? Yes? Or no? And if the no is if you are a no, would you return and use containers to change for the return was twenty cents instead of ten cents. I'd love to hear from you today. Do you use containers for change? Yes? Or no? Alien's who is our voice? The voice of reasons of reason? Thank you, John, I sort of, says Aileen. I keep the cans, et cetera. When I have a box full of them, I give them to some young kids I know to cash them in. Twenty cents will only put the retail price up. Best wishes to add for her new arrival. Thank you, Aileen. That's very nice of you. Yes, says John, do you use containers for change?
Speaker 3: One?
Speaker 1: Double? Three? Aight, Eddie two? Would love to hear from you today. What's in the budget? What was in the budget for you? Listen to Oliver yesterday talking to the treasure of Reda Safiordi and also to Sandra Brewer, the Opposition spokesperson on matters Budget and Treasury, was there anything in it for you? One double three eight eighty two is the phone number. So we've done some stats here. Your average West Australium, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics is a thirty eight year old man, a thirty eight year old bloke who earns forty four thousand dollars per annum, lives in a metropolitan in the house with two point five people. So what has been in the budget for him? And of course with the ABS ABS stats, kids will skew this lower, right, Kids under the age of seventeen sixteen will skew this lower. But your average West Dozzie, according to the ABS, is a thirty eight year old bloke who earns forty four thousand bucks per annum, well below the medium median wage, lives in a metropolitan in the house with two point five people. What's been in the budget for him? So there's been a battery rebate of five thousand bucks flat fair, public transport and one hundred and fifty dollars energy relief not from the state but from the Commonwealth. So what's in the budget for the average West Australium. I disagree with some of the commentary that it is not targeted enough for lower income earners or concession card holders, because there's I think there are a lot of concessions looking through them, accommodation in housing, arts and culture, household bills, legal regional sceniors, sport and wreck tourism, travel and transport. I think there are a lot of targeted measures. A's aimed at concession cardholders in particular, so I'm very happy with that and very okay with that, But I don't know what the budget this budget did for average Western Australians. So I guess the state government saying, well, I reckon most of us are going, okay, do you use container for change? The text machine? There's got smoke coming out at the back of it, the twenty two, So yes's a couple of those coming in and get I think you have to choose a charity too, don't you. In this one, Amanda says, I do I clicked all the bottles in the cans in the big box, return every two months. Donate the fun to Dog's Refuge. Good on you, Amanda, Good on you, Steve. OHI mate, I'm strongly for the ten cents scheme and I think it's laziness for those that don't so Steve o's a yes, cheers mate. Yaranna says, I use containers for change. We'd do it more actively of twenty cents, Thank you, Yanna, Tom Rutt, Joomedlups's Jonathan and Heathridge, thank you, mate, Paul Gday, Paul, I use ce for sea note to putting the price up, and they start at ten cents of containing all the supermarkets put their price up. Thank you, Paule Karen, Yeah, I use it's a great idea. The few dollars always comes in handy awesome good scheme, isn't it? I reckon? And if it went up to twenty cents, would you be more inclined to use it? Oh A, you like a lot of our this as you think it might mean the retail price goes up. Lee and wonnerou ho Lee Kingsway. In fact, me, my mum, my stepdad keep the cans and bottles and we take them to the Scouts recycling in Wangarra and the few bucks we get goes into on account for my kids and my nephew. Good Manly Shane says, I do. I go down the Bellcata collection center this morning with my glass beer stubby, says Shane. Shane. That's a busy one, isn't it. Atne's traffic Management that's on bellcatter Roat. That's a huge one that's near me. Thanks for your thoughts today. Adam high Bowie Ray, Yes, love my CC and dry zero sugar can so I drink them and the wife cashes them in good combo. Good having a wife, isn't Adam, I guess? Mark says yes. I use containers with change proceeds to support Breakfast Club at midvald Primary where my wife works. Thanks Mark. Forty bucks every three months is one of our listeners. This is flying off the hook. This one good. I DEAs.
Speaker 4: Good money.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I don't really creep that much anymore, but I have a couple of highbors who give it a pretty good belt and they put there cans into my little trailer at the side of the house and when it's filled, I take it down cash it in and on the way home I drop off for whatever money I'll pick up for it. I drop it into the tree into my to account, and everybody's happy.
Speaker 3: Ad system.
Speaker 1: I don't drink, but I gamble, camera responsing, there's good man, Mami La Tom. Yeah, money gets spit evenly for grandkids accounts regards Tom, Thanks Tom, Tim. Yes, separate bank accounts from my grandkids, Jeff, Yes, indirectly. I saved them for my niece who collects them from my house fortnightly. Huge response to this Containers for change. It's been an absolute winner, hasn't it. I think all of Australia now including TASMANI use some sort of container deposit scheme. Unbelievable. What are we just a few minutes into our poll? Seven or eight minutes into our poll? Yes is a thirty nine and the nose of four we've had one sort of which is ailing the voice of reason. Thanks, keep the correspondence coming. And if you're a no, why not? We've only had four no's. Why not? And would you support the notion of the amount going up to twenty cents from ten cents? Love to hear from you today. Keep them coming in we will keep a tally of this. We're on world record pace at the moment. So I talk to Hamish Hasty in just a moment. He's our mate from Wa Today's a state political editor and reporter. Wonder how he saw the state budget yesterday. It's fairly it's reasonably blanned. But also you know there's plenty of money being spent on infrastructure and the like. Alston's cartoon in our paper today is extremely funny and well worth a look, well worth the you know you pay for the paper, pay for six prs. Sixteen minutes past nine, Colin says, yes, I returned my cans for containers. The change. Can't wait for the wine bottles to be accepted. My shed's getting full of wine bottles now that I'm starting to collect those drink responsibly gone. That's pretty funny. We've been doing it from the starts, as Paul good on, your mate, one hundred bucks every three months and get a couple of these come in, Doc says, why would I give up sixty dollars an hour of my time to do the recycling work for free and receive ten cents per cam? Doc? I reckon some people need the money probably less than you, but thanks for your correspondence, and you can you have got an option to give it to charity. So it's which I know, which is a great idea. Is it incredibly popular? Do you use containers for change? We're forty eight already and we're having trouble keeping up. Russ says yes, no, yes, yeah nah. The guy across the road he's empties my recycled bins. I guess I do in a funny way. You do his stories of that, Russ. Yeah. People help themselves to other people's bins. I use the containers to change to teach my three granddaughter's lessons in life. They're all under eight. The girls do all the work to collect them, and we have fear few. You take them down, cash them in. They do the work, third into savings, third to a charity, and thirty gets spender straight away, which is usually Lolly's from an IgA. They love it. It's take pride in their efforts, especially giving to charity. I love them doing it with them. The tripping oven cans and bottles all the time is painful. Russell aut and beautiful Averley, thanks for Russ, cheers mate. Yes, no, do you use containers for change and if you don't, would you do it if the refund was double? That is the call from some recycling campaigners today. Hamish Hasty is wa Today's state political reporter and editor and friend of our program, joins us. Now, gooday, Hamish, hey bowie, how are you doing? Good mate? Sleep well last night after the budget?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, a little too well? I woke up late.
Speaker 1: Okay, so big What did you make of it? I know you were worried the day before it might be a bit of a snooze fest because there wouldn't be much the report on Rita Safiotti cocker Hoop in her sparkly sparkly suit. What did you make of it? What's the headlines?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know it was.
Speaker 7: It was a bit of a boring budget. It didn't kind of whack the state with a big stick as hard as I thought they might, and often happens in the first budget post election. You know, we are losing that power credit. And there was a bit of a bit of cheekiness with the numbers I think from the state government they you know, in their calculations and when it came to the government fees and charges for regular households. They omitted that that power credit from last year, so it kind of artificially made what they're charging this year look a little bit better. But you know, beyond that, depth still rising.
Speaker 1: Just on that, Hamish, if I may, the fact that we don't get that rebate. People were using the power rebate the cost of living in general, weren't they? They weren't you. Yes, it's a rebate on your power bill, but it helps you to buy cheese and other stuff at this if you're not.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you're not spending money on a power bill, you can spend it elsewhere, for sure.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So I guess there's a statement in all of that in that Reta and and and Cabinat and and government are saying we're going better, we're cost of living wise, we're going better.
Speaker 7: That that, And that's the kind of message that they want to get across, that the economy's humming along, you know. But then I think they're kind of trying to walk a pretty tight balance and saying everything's going great and amazing and look at the economy that we've we've we're the architects of. But then you know, oh, but we're also giving the student assistance payment out, and there's lots of other cost of living measures, and you know, I think I think generally the social services sector wasn't too pleased with what was in there in terms of cost of living support because the economy is still a two speed economy. There's the other has and the haves nights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, infrastructures being hamish. What did you make of it? Was there anything new in that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So this, I mean, this budget is the kind of first where we see the actual pivot from roads and rail to poles, wires and ports. You know, there's actual there's some meat. We've been talking about it for a while, but all those major Metronet projects are coming off, and now the majority of the asset Investment program, which is about thirty eight billion over the next four years, is going to go to transmission towers, to new water pipelines to Westport. There's a pretty significant chunk of funding over one hundred million to get the planning underway for that. So that that's pretty significant in terms of, you know, where the state's going to go in the next kind of couple of years.
Speaker 4: We won't we won't be.
Speaker 7: Having those constant reminders of met that blowing out anymore. It might be something.
Speaker 1: Else blowing out Westport maybe, yeah, HAMI shot, I mean we we went right through it this morning a million times. I guess. I guess the middle, the middle of the Bell curve, if you like, middle Western Australians. And then there are a lot of targeted there is a lot of targeted relief of concession cardholders. Now the number of concessions available for concession cardholders is astronomical, sport and wreck housing, household appliance, as bills, you know, freak transport, all of that. So that's huge. But I guess it's I guess middle Western Australia. There's not a lot in it. And again that assumption is and we're not. We're not doing too badly. Do you reckon the You know, there's a bit of commentary around from the Eastern States that it's time to start yelling, jumping up and down about the GST carve up again. Are you seeing and hearing that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, look that will happened to sere And when we keep delivering surpluss. I think JST receipts this year we're over seven million dollars, which is pretty nifty. When You've also got eight billion dollars worth of iron or royalty flowing in, so it's coming from everywhere, and I fully expect Eastern States commentators to get up and about about it. Rita Safioli this morning at budget breakfast was kind of getting in front of that, saying that money spent here is good for the rest of the nation with the economic powerhouse of the nation, so you know, you should be happy that they we're getting all this extra money. Yeah, yeah, I don't know how that's going to wash.
Speaker 1: Though, yeah yeah yeah. And Scott Scott Morrison doesn't need us anymore necessarily, does he. So Hami's good to talk to you. Have we missed anything? How was the How was the breaky? Did you have have some bacon? You have some eggs? A?
Speaker 7: Yeah, look I had a There was a pretty average hash brown. It was about as as tough as my wallet. So apart from that, it was fine. As mentioned, I was late, so yes, I was lucky to get breakfast at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right mate, thanks you cheeking to us as always, have a good day. Thanks Hamish Hasty. Hamish Hasty from WA Today. Listen to Ollie interviewing Rita yesterday and Sandra Brewer. Look, I've got to say, I know the lives have gone pretty hard on you know, there's not enough targeted cost of living mechanisms in there. But I think that's really it's hard to say that. Go online and you type in what concessions are available in Western Australia for concession card holders. You know, the people do it really tough hardship, utility grants, accommodation, transport, kids, sport, all of that. The only thing I can see in there, which I reckon does need a bit of attention at some stage in the future, is you got two hundred and thirty two public libraries in WA, local government libraries and they don't get much and haven't got much for years. That's the only thing I can really see in there that stands out. I think kaxs are mentioned in the Australian newspaper today, Brian. Brian, with respect to the budget, we don't go back and see how government has worked a previous budget, many projects having cost overruns, almost things pointless. Great show, cheers, Brian. Now we don't really have that ability to do that type of fact checking, and I'll tell you why that is. Brian. We talk about it all the time here is government will make an announcement and they bundle things in together. So when they talk about cost of living, they'll talk about childcare rebates, they'll talk about you know, fee free tafe. So it's often very hard to line item all these things and to be really clear on the fact checking. When stuff is bundled together and aggregated, it's not laziness on our part or the media is part. It's what the way government explain their spending and where it may and where it may have changed gets lost in that aggregation. I reckon one double three a eighty two. Having said that, and I know in the paper today there's a column by a bloke used to sit here, and he had a column on Sunday as well, this notion of the cost overruns for the IT one point six billion, which is what Caroline Spencer was in here banging the desk about last week. So that is still an issue as to whether people care or not. I'm not sure because the budget would suggest to most of us in middle western Australia, we're probably going okay, get Alex.
Speaker 8: Good morning.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: My main message was I do collect them and then cash them in and like the other gentlemen, then they go into tab account. But the main message I wanted to get across I'm from Country, New South Wales originally and I'm in the seventies now back in Parks Country, New South Wales. Fifty years ago there was a local cordial producer in town that produced soft drinks. They paid five cents for every return fifty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 8: So I honestly think if the government was serious, twenty cents would keep the place spotlets.
Speaker 4: It makes it.
Speaker 8: Really worthwhile for those doing it a bit tough for every five that've.
Speaker 3: Got a dollar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right mate, thanks Alex. Good point. So Alex is in favor of raising the return rate. This is we're, as I say, we're having trouble keeping up with us today. If you can do use containers for change, yes or no? And if you don't, would you do it if the refund was double? The yeses are fifty nine the nose of seven. And there's one sort of a couple of people saying a lot of people saying it's a great scheme, a lot of saying. What people are saying, what we're doing is we're doing the heavy lifting for the government. We are recycling the containers for them, so I get and Steve's one of those. Good Steve, if you don't use c for CU are donating your ten cents, but can of the state government as this is money they collect, we don't have to return. So Steve is in favor of the scheme, I think. But Mea says I love doing Containers to Change. I've been doing it from the start me thank you Paulus has actually saved mine up and give them away to other people who are donating the charities of their choice. David says, yes, definitely, it's a great scheme. I collect containers from wherever I can. I have ten or so contributors who donate the containers to my project, which is the passing the proceeds to Australian Wildlife Conservancy. Last year over a thousand bucks David and rivedam but I also saved ten thousand items from ending up in landfill. Good on you, David. Good to hear from you, mate. People really like this scheme. People really like containers for Change. So yes is a sixty which is a world record pace for us for our Yes Nos. We'll come back in just a moment we'll talk a little bit more about the scheme with the Australian Council of Recycling and plenty still to come on the program Glenn Jacket, which will be in after ten o'clock talking Football Life and sport World under Freil last night really really solid, solid performance from the whole team. I reckon back in a moment.
Speaker 10: Be aware of a crash North Perth at Charles Street northbound at Green Street, that right lane blocked. Police already on site. Just make sure you proceed with caution and that vehicle fire has been extinguished. Mitchell southbound the exit to Warwick Road. The vehicle does remain in the left emergency lane though, and there are delays on the approach plan had to avoid them.
Speaker 11: I'm Rob bi Verum, Perth Traffic Leader six PR Tom Petty James, that is Tom Petty? Yeah, how good? How good is Tom Petty?
Speaker 1: Chris? How good is Chris Murphy? He'll be in after twelve o'clock to day with Murph's Magical Mystery too. If you haven't heard Murph before on a Friday, it is just that a magical mystery tour through the music, through the creative eyes and prism of crazy. Chris Murphy, our friend, our mate. I'd love to talk to you today. Talkback program, talkback station one, double three, eight to eighty two. Good a Darren. Containers for change? Do you like it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, mate, I'm all over it.
Speaker 12: I me and a young fellow.
Speaker 1: We collect him.
Speaker 9: He gets the money for a proceeds to his car that we are building together. So I think you know.
Speaker 1: I'm in the cars, cars, heavy metal, walky talkies, in the spa for drinks del delicious, goes on.
Speaker 9: Doesn't exactly, mate, That's that's how I'm supposed to work.
Speaker 1: What sort of car?
Speaker 9: It's a little Mark two Cortina, toodor nice?
Speaker 1: All right, Dad's good to hear from you, mate, keep up the good work, is there? Thank you? Artie? Yes or no? Do you use containers for change?
Speaker 13: Yes? I do a couple of points in Canada from the big cities. My mind's gone blank. I can't remember the big city I went to. But in the parks and all the general council gins, they've got a room around the edge and people put their soft drinks and cans for recycling in the park, so people that come and collect them, homeless and that don't have the rummage right through the bin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yep, And.
Speaker 13: I think that's a fantastic idea. You know, even on my even on the council, been at home, if they did that, well, I don't go foreign to the bins.
Speaker 3: I just keep them.
Speaker 13: From my place and that for the grandkids. But that's that's what they actually do. They're better than someone you know, with their feet sticking out of the bin getting the empties out. Yeah, so that's what they did. But also also I was tough. I think it was on Millsy show. I've got the end of it that the container people, well you take them into they get sixty cents a key.
Speaker 1: That couldn't be right, surely, wouldn't, I thought.
Speaker 13: So they get they do get a certain amount for collecting them. Well, when I go there, I've got over a thousand containers. You know, even if they're getting ten cents, they're doing.
Speaker 1: Quite well they get. I honestly don't know that Ardi. I don't know how that inside of it works, but I appreciate you cool cheers. Mate. What do the people who work at the containers for change senders get? So it's quite an elaborate system. Mark Dorin, who's with us the last couple of days. He says, you can choose there's a number of charities listed on the machine as well, and you can choose the charity that the money goes to. That's pretty cool. And some people just take the cash and give it to their ground. I'm getting a lot of that. It's a family, it's a family housing for people. Have people at work now recycling that would have been done before, says Helen. Thank you, Helen, you're a yes. And Steve from Bibra, Steve of Bibra, that's cool, Steve, that's a cool title. I like that. But yes, for refund raised. With raising the container refund is the price of the item will be increased to enable that raise. A lot of people making making that observation today, Hillary, He says, the councils collect. My suggestion, the councils collect the cansa bottles, get a reform from government spent on homer shelters, et cetera. Simple simples. I don't recycle my coat cancers, Hillary, Hillary, If councils collected that impossibly on the rate payers, if they're putting on extra staff, extra trucks and I don't know that it's up to local government to solve the homeless issues, Hillary, but I appreciate your thoughts lateral thinking. Thank you. Suzanne tom Buru is the Australian Councilor of Recycling CEO. Joins us now, gooday, Susan, gooday. How are you going well? We're getting overrun here, Suzanne. People really like containers some change here in WA. We've got sixty two yeses and seven nos AND's. It seems to be working pretty well. What do you think.
Speaker 14: From a recyclers perspective? We love container deposits games. They are a terrific way not just to deliver great social artcomes like the ones we're hearing about in terms of collections for communities and those I guess in need, but also they deliver a really clean, well sorted stream of recyclable material that can be remade right back into bottles.
Speaker 1: So, Susan, are you in favor of the notion that maybe the return rate should go up? Saying WA from ten cents to twenty cents per item?
Speaker 14: Absolutely? What we see WA, for example, has a target for their return rate. WA's target is eighty five percent. They're currently hovering around sixty five percent, so you know there's a gap that needs to be bridged there. The great thing about Western Australia is that it's a really accessible scheme. It's probably one of the most accessible in the country. Not to say that we do lags behind exempli jurisdictions like Europe, where there's a whole lot more accessibility. Is really easy to find and deposit your boodle, but Western Australia does better than most other states, and the one way to really drive higher return is to increase that deposit rate from ten. The first dep would be to make sure that I guess it's reflecting the increases in inflation. Twenty cents would be a good start.
Speaker 1: So I think these are your figures. Susan four billion containers since October twenty twenty nationally and a lot of money donated the schools, charities and community groups.
Speaker 14: Container deposit schemes are an excellent way to raise funds for community groups. They're also a really good way, I guess for those looking to boost their own way of saving. But remember that this return, this refund is actually a refund, so whilst it might be embedded in the cost of a bever rige container. It's one that can be gained back if you choose to return it yourself. So not only is it one that I guess you can recoup yourself, but it is one that if you choose not to do so, others can benefit too.
Speaker 1: And this is another one of your figures. Nineteen billion dollars the economy the equivalent of ninety five thousand jobs have been created since these container deposit schemes started. That's quite a stat, isn't it.
Speaker 14: It is a stat. But I do need to clarify that is the whole of our recycling sector that I'm really proud of, that accounts for all of the recycling initiatives when we look at everything from tires, the textiles all the way through to container deposit schemes. But container deposit schemes do contribute really strongly. They are amongst the I think the highest levels of return for an item and they drive a lot of board benefits for the community and the environment.
Speaker 1: One more from me, Susann, if I may, and it goes probably more broadly than the container deposit schemes. Are you at the Australian Council of Recycling, Are you fans of the notion of products stewardship. In other words, when I buy a tire or a mattress or a lithium battery, I pay a bit more for a point of sale so it can be better recycled. Or you are a fan of product stewardship.
Speaker 14: Where we support product stewardship done right and well, and container deposits schemes are a really good example of where it's done well. It's a scheme that has a high level of community awareness and engagement. People know about it. It genuinely drives recycling outcomes by investing properly in that system. It is accessible and I guess with the financial incentive, of course, it's got a really good level of engagement. We have to be clear product stewardship doesn't need to be applied everywhere. Often it might not be market failure and we might not have a big waste problem. If you think about metal, for example, it has a value at end of use, and there's a good international and domestic market for many types of metal. But for problematic materials that either are hazardous or create too much waste and pollution, it is a really good way to address that problem. But only if they're designed right, and only if they are really accountable with really strong metrics to make sure that they actually deliver and not not just marketing scheme.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well answered, We'll see what our listens think. Great chat, Suzanne, Thank you, Thank you. Suzanne Tumbora Austrange counselor of Resource. You's a CEO. Yeah, So there's a notion that if you buy a mattress or a tire, just to broaden this out a little bit, maybe should pay a bit more important point of sale so it can be recycled safely at the end of life. So you know, we see mattresses everywhere, right, Verge pickups, colder sacks, Wangara pine plantation tires and matteses get dumped on mass And are they a type of product you'd be prepared to pay more for if you knew at the end of life they were recycled. That's called product stewardship. Certainly for those two things. We'll come back in just a moment, sam Helena say there would are you do you use container for change? Yes or no? And if you don't, we use it if the refund was doubled. The yes is are seventy the nose a ten, We've got one sort of back in a secon. Glenn Jackovitch will join us after ten o'clock today. There's a bit of chat around that maybe the header should be banned from football from soccer. The University of New South Wales is saying that I'll ask Jacko that when he comes in after ten, and he'll no doubt want to reflect with pleasure on what Frio produced last night. So that's coming in and we'll get Jacko's tips for the week and a yeah no Jacko from him as well. David says, congratulations times one hundred. Your discussion of this topic will help raise awareness in the Community's good topic, isn't it, Dave. What I really love is all the stories about how people will div you the money up and how the families are involved. You get back what you pay for the containers, so that it will not give you back double unless you have paid more, says Liz. Thank you, Liz. Peter says, I might be a screw huge, but I use my canned money and chocolate for myself. I consider the chocolate the luxury. I don't have any grandchildren, says Peter. Thanks Peter. Cheers, mate, Yes is Aaron, lots of other people saying yes on this one. Does Australia recycle how tires that we send them back to India to be recycled Cain? I don't know. Cane the milk, I don't know, but I do know there is a push that we pay a bit more for tires and mattresses, in particular at point of sale so we can recycle them better. Mix says get a Mick. Mattresses are free at the copp And Road tip for residents in the Shire of Mondeering. Thanks Mick, appreciate that. Mate. Do you use containers for change? Yes? Is seventy four of the nose A ten Goda, sam.
Speaker 12: Oy goot I Simon, how are you today?
Speaker 15: Mate?
Speaker 1: Going well? Thank you?
Speaker 16: I agree with you.
Speaker 12: Last question that you pose the lady that he interviewed and I've got mixed emotions about it, going up twenty cent?
Speaker 15: Can I explain sure, Cam?
Speaker 16: Just to make a quick my wife started a foundation a little while ago.
Speaker 12: Can I give her a plug?
Speaker 1: Yes? Please?
Speaker 17: It's called Racing to Mindy.
Speaker 12: She raises funds to fund a research team out at Murdoch University for MND to try and find a cure. And so I've got to head the containers and I leave at either friends places, businesses and this and that. So I go around and collect them and change them out regularly, and all the money gets stumped and just goes proceeds into her her fundraising. Now, since the scheme started, she's raised over seven thousand dollars just in containers. Nice. What I might find is if it gets up too high, people might find it a little bit lucrative and might not be as forthcoming to give the containers away, okay, because it's a little bit too lucrative and they want to keep the money themselves.
Speaker 1: So hopefully they don't.
Speaker 17: And that'll just make them.
Speaker 12: We'll just double our resources and make a little bit more. But that's my only concerned about it. You make it too lucrative, we might lose some of those funds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, two commercial twenty Yeah, And I suppose Sam, if it ain't broke, we don't need to fix it. It seems to be working okay, but certainly the recycling advocates are pushing for twenty cents. Sam, Sam, good luck with Mindy, good luck with all of that. Thanks for calling us.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Sam there, good at Helena.
Speaker 18: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 18: I used to take my cans down to the recycling place myself, and I found it was a hard, hot, sticky job and you had to waste your turn, your back would kill you and everything like that. So I was put onto a man who actually comes around. He owns a recycling center himself, and he supplies you with a bin and he pays you seven cents a can. And I think it's worthwhile, you know, not having to go to the halful of taking the cans down yourself, and when the can and they've been as full, you just ring them and it comes and then a better week later they'd come back with the money and and the receipts, so you know exactly what he's got paid. And it's just so handy. I've got all my neighbors and friends on to it. I've got two charities doing this as well, and.
Speaker 8: It's good, It's very worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Helena, thank you for calling. There's a lot of these little sub schemes keep popping up, and they all seem to be mostly philanthropic and legit, Brian says. Containers for Change, tick our sixty five apartment complex as a two hundred and forty leter Containers for Change beIN, which is emptied on average every three weeks. Proceeds donated a charity of our tenant's choices. Brian. Thanks Brian in South Perth. Thank you, Bernie says I give mine to the lions. Good on your Bernie. Always good to hear from you. And Shane says, we pay deposit for you and now on tires every time we replace them. A tire shop says Shane. Shane, let me know where that shop is, mate, We'll be interested in finding out out one double three two. A lot of people corresponding on this and that you know there is there is a little bit of downside socially, people foraging through other people's bins, maybe not using the containers what they're meant to do. Rob says in como, I used to use CFC. Leave it. Leave it at ten cents, otherwise retail price it will go up. Thanks Rob, cheers mate, thanks for your thoughts. God they Lezky.
Speaker 16: Simon Simon, I'm a huge fan of Containers for Change. I've been doing it for about two and a half years now. I'm up to well over two and a half thousand dollars in the amount of cans and stuff I've collected. I've set up a bank account for my two granddaughters. The money goes straight into there for their future. And I mean, I ride a bike and I'll go out on any any time on my bike and I'll pick up at a dozen cans at the side of the road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way I feel.
Speaker 16: It's my little bit for recycling and for the community. And I'll bring him home and so on. And and if I see a can in the in the tower park, I'll pick it up and put it in the car. I just won't walk past it anymore. And I'm teaching the grandchildren to do the same thing. Well, I think it's a great initiative.
Speaker 4: It really is good on.
Speaker 1: Your Liz, really good to talk to you. Thank you. These are these good stories you're sending in and there are a lot of different nooks and crannies in the containers and change. Some people don't like it, A lot of people do. Some people say we're doing the heavy lifting on path of the government. But you know, this notion of being able to donate it to a charity if you're choosing or put it in your skyrocket and give it to your grandkids or your kids, or to your own chocolate account. I like it gives people a lot of choice, doesn't it, Brad good.
Speaker 19: I bradys Simon's sure. You know we're run I run.
Speaker 4: A footy club out in dour Keiths.
Speaker 19: We put onto the Scouts recycling. They bring the bins around, take away all the take away the cans bottles send us. I think it's eight cents out of the ten It's all done for free and it saves us having to pay the disposal fee for the recycling bins with your staff years from the council. So I reckon all the sporting clubs should get out on it and just call the Scouts and get the bins delivered, make a bit of money out of it and actually save money on your disposer pods.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, good on your Brad, Thank you mate, appreciate it. We're talking about this because advocates through Australia are saying the ten cent put on return for containers should go to twenty percent. The yeses are seventy eight do you use C for C seventy eight yes is two nose and a sort of from the voice of reason and a note from a concern caller. Be wary rummaging for sharp materials or even syringers. Yeah, yes, yes, But overwhelmingly the response for C for C is we're not worried about syringes and bins or sharps. It's overwhelmingly a positive response to the container system. It's five minutes to ten. Thanks for listening in Habit to take your calls on the budget. It sort of looks like it's going to sink without a trace. Really, as I say, I'm not sure what's in it for middle Western Australians. Maybe we're doing okay, Maybe we don't need that power rebate anymore. We get one hundred and fifty from Albow Habit tate your calls one double three eight to eighty two. Call of the day today, I'm goin a double pass to go and see the Terracotta Warriors. The Chinese Terracotta Warriors will be here from during the twenty eight through to February next year. How good be it? Buller bard Dip at the WA Museum. We're giving away a double pass today. Thank you for listening. In Charmaine, says my son puts his cans in a crate for an old bloke in the neighborhood to pick them up. He no longer goes through my son's bins. Win Wins, says Charmaine. Thanks Charmain. Good to hear from you, I think, Sally says. We love c for sea. Give the proceeds to our two sons for you of canteen lunches once a week. Sali makes a good point. Rather than increase the amount per container, if we could recycle wine and champagne bottles, it would be amazing rather than canteen lunches. I might get a trip to Europe. Have a great day, Thank you, Sally, and says I collect from a neighbor's granddaughter. All right, mate, Brad from Port Kennedy. Hey Brad, save all the place, all the place bottom beer bottles for a month and we head down to the Port Kennedy tavern have a bet on the quaddy. Allly, Brad, I'm not sure that's what it's meant for, but Brad, you're funny. Marius is what do we need to set a reward for people to clean up after themselves? Thank you, Mario. We'll come back after ten o'clock, Glenn Jackovitch will join join me. How good with the Dockers last night? They absolutely got it done. The text terminal, as described by Mark Doron the text terminal has melted down this morning. On containers for change, Graham, Yes for cans. James Is Simon adda leftfield you know I love him? A seven eleven app. Just bought my usual ninety eight Supreme fuel for a dollar eighty two a leader instead of a dollar ninety nine. Save seven bucks and with my beer returns to container and change these un sorted Good on your Shane. Lots of correspondence. Will come back to a little bit later on, but it's time to do this.
Speaker 20: Gooda Glenn, Hello Simon, how are you?
Speaker 21: How great was the performance of South from Old against Ease Perth last week?
Speaker 1: Yes? That very very good. Ten points. Let's get this out of the way early. Yeah, world under South three we came back a little bit.
Speaker 21: We won everything Little League. We won everything Little League? Well, why count those? That's important?
Speaker 1: No word onund the South. They're on the on the movie again, aren't they.
Speaker 22: We're on top?
Speaker 1: Yeah, on top, game clear. I think so of three and then I think East Birth and thirteen. You know, the world unto you and your boys.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I've helped them a lot.
Speaker 1: Over the years to talk about how listeners don't like it. I think east Birth got subie this week. So that's a that's a tough one, Glenn Jackie, which is with us forts footy, sport in life if you will one double three eight at E two. Yeah, let's get to it. Who's the best Who's the best big man in the game at.
Speaker 21: The Jackson head and shoulders, he is the best big man, mobile big man in the competition. His ability to play inside, outside, transition from offense to defense, kicks, goals, forty eight tapouts, last nine twenty odd possessions, three goals, bog. He's their most important player. The second most important players Jordan Clark, the rebounding defender, runs and carries. He's causing position, He's causing the opposition a lot of problems. He'll get more attention as the season starts to get to the point the end.
Speaker 22: And it's interesting. It's good to say from.
Speaker 21: A balanced point of view that you know, whilst Brayshaw and Sarong are outstanding footballers, they're the two most important players in my view, I think Jackson. But anyhow, our call is one double three, eight to eighty two. Did you go last night? I thought it was the performance. We'll get to this in a minute. But forty one point victory good for their percentage because it's going to come important their percentage. They need to punish Saint Gilda here next week. Five wins in a row, they get a nice extended break now, but they've got to keep the foot on the accelerator here. This is an opportunity to stick. Time for Freemount to really consolidate and start to climb the ladder. Is top four is probably still an option, there's a possibility, but they've got to now solidify themselves in the top part of the or the middle part of the top eight, and don't get caught in the rat race of seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth and eleventh.
Speaker 22: So they've got to take care of business.
Speaker 21: But to essen and if the Eagles can watch and do what they're doing is they're playing the kids. You know, they were within three goals at three quarter time and then Freemont went bang bang, and as you know, as they should, and they did, and they went on and won by forty one points. But I liked the kids that are coming through for Esion and they're getting the opportunity to play. And yesterday the West Coast made a couple of announcements with some young kids extending their contracts by another year. So yeah, so but Freeman, it's all about Framel at the minute, because I really liking as the year is going on now they're getting better and that this is important part. They're tidying up some aspects of the game that they weren't happy about. Fans and analytics analysts were very frustrated with Wise they're starting to close that up. They're going to need to because once they come to the point end when they play Brisbane, they played Collingwood and Geelong, they need to make sure that they've tidy that those aspects of their game so they can beat these sides and match up with them.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of avenues to goal now, I think I think shape Bolton is also in the top echelon of influential player because he's the X factory. And what about Paddi Voss's goal last night as call boy and the celebration as called by Kay Lang And here we go this one device, he drops the mark.
Speaker 22: He gets any fans off, but Rah, he runs, he.
Speaker 20: Ooks over, he's his celeb Brady. He's off, He's off for the boundary.
Speaker 1: He's big chase by his teammates.
Speaker 20: Are they run him down?
Speaker 1: They killing up with him.
Speaker 20: Freddy held him up and then he playing Gray Shaw. He came out Riscoll and he comes to.
Speaker 23: Wrong and now the high ten of Baldwin only a five for five feet, now.
Speaker 20: Five for Wagner, a five for Jackson. And now I have a rest.
Speaker 10: We've been ready for all night, haven't we, Big pet Voss and just started with a beautiful clearance, Ray Shaw and Sarrock combining again Big Patty Voss.
Speaker 1: Just great for the crowd, great for the optics energy.
Speaker 21: Look, they've got a four prong forward attack that are really dangerous.
Speaker 22: Joe Amis got to hit the school board now.
Speaker 21: Spoke to Luke Ryan on this program during the week and he said that, you know he's playing an important role, and you know he won on the game up but against the Sons in the wet when he kicked that sealer of a goal. But Josh Tracy last night had scored what he did kick three goals, took some powerful marks. You know, it was powerful against the kangaroos, and then you got Vice. I mean, he's to me, he's like the well I don't like to say this, but Brady my check. Yeah, he's so important to Collingwood's Ford structure and what.
Speaker 1: He's getting a third defender and he's making hay, isn't he?
Speaker 21: Yeah he is because you can't stop him all And I just really like the you know, the ball movement into their front half. They've got to kick a few more goals now and then they start hit the scoreboard a little bit more. But I'd like all four of them have a day out try stopping that.
Speaker 1: How much did you weigh? How high too? And how much did you wave when you played?
Speaker 22: I was we're not to talk about that anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, back when we were allowed to talk about it, you might offend me.
Speaker 21: I just one hundred and ninety four centimeters And when I first come to the club, I was ninety seven kg and I finished at one o.
Speaker 1: Four was I'm my ringing Foss is going to be bigger than you. He's a big boy. He's a big boy. The big boy. You still are shrunk down a little bit pretty big to me. One double three two. Love to hear from you, freemant of fans, give us a bill. It was I think on Monday. We've got accused of being very being biased against Free. I'm never really sure where that stuff comes from, but they are absolutely on the gas at the moment. Flag Man, listen back. Are you're boying about the rest of the season. We'd love to hear from you. One double three eight eighty two. We got some more audio here, I think, as provided by Sean Lindsay and we don't have it. We don't. Dom's online his caller. Yeah, good a Tom, How are you good?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 24: Firstly, before I get onto what I want to say, all I say is.
Speaker 4: Free way to go and down be lowell?
Speaker 3: Did we come guys?
Speaker 25: But Luke Jackson, if fre I.
Speaker 24: Was playing a game of cards at the moment, wo was a poker game. They're holding a pretty good deck base, pretty good, and I reckon if he wants to go pretty much three first round.
Speaker 26: Is going to be the asking.
Speaker 24: It's gonna like he's he's the best in the business of the moment. So if anyone wants to come for him, good luck. But you're going to have to pay for him and to have Sean Darcy there on the side. Maybe if they do think about it and think that they don't really need the two and usually and ready as for the other ruck because you've got guys like Boss and Tracy anyway that can do some rockwork. Anyway, I think they're looking pretty good come draft and at the start of next year.
Speaker 26: But yeah, the way they're going, and you're right about their forwards, but I still reckon although Amos ain't hitting the school board, he's still doing his bid and he's still taking a good defender there.
Speaker 24: We've got too many forwards that they control a lot, you know, fold and don't pop up Tracy bo and it goes on mate, And it's.
Speaker 3: A pretty good position to be in.
Speaker 1: I reckon, Thanks Tom Cool.
Speaker 21: Yeah, a good position. I wouldn't go that far to worry about, you know, at the end of the season. I know it's only upon us because this game moves very quickly. But I do hope that Luke Jackson does stay and with all the retoric and you know, all the.
Speaker 22: Innuendo, but it doesn't seem to go away.
Speaker 21: So it does worry me for Freemantle supporters because they invested heavily to go get this boy and he's starting to you know, he started cashing the chips and perform to what you know he's draft position and the hydrapic that he was coming back from obviously Melbourne. This kid can play. This kid is a game changer. And I said on this program he's coaching. Mentors should be watching and picking the eyes of the crew of Dean Cox because I reckon this kid can replicate it.
Speaker 1: I really, I know.
Speaker 22: I say they genuinely. I don't make outlandish comments like.
Speaker 1: That, No I don't. But Collingwood fans to say, Darcy Cameron goes right is a big bloke, not quite as mobile, but does kick goals?
Speaker 21: Darcy, Yeah, he does, and that's what you want. You go your ruckman. He is a ruckman midfielder, that's what he is. He's not a ruckman. He's a mobile, big man that moves around the ground.
Speaker 1: Stephen Michael, Yes, you said.
Speaker 22: That, and he kicks goals.
Speaker 21: So he's the fifth midfielder and you want midfielders to kick goals. That's my criticism with Brayshaw and so wrong. They don't kick enough goals. And if you want to be at the echelon of playing consistent finals football in big games, you need your mids to kick goals. Dean Kemp used to kick goals. Petere materiis to kick goals. Can draw in a comparison, and they kicked them in big games. That's what these two boys have got to do. And this guy here, he's nearly averaging a goal of game. He's just short shy of that, and he hasn't been playing. You know, it's an interesting conundrum that they find out with Darcy. You know, he when he doesn't play, and this kid has a free reign to just do what he does. He's a ruckman midfielder and it's actually just a pleasure to watch he's dominance as a big man.
Speaker 1: Look out, Steve, stay there, Dave, stay there. We're back in the second. It's a nineteen sorry, eighteen minutes past ten. I'm Simon Beaumont. The other bloke is Glenn Jackoevitch. Back back in a second, Glenn Jackie, which is with us. We are going to talk Oscar all on Jeremy mcgovernin in just a moment. Two massive names at West Coast will a lot of swirling opinion that we might not see them play a game, which would be a great shame. Steve's phoned in about Patti Voss.
Speaker 25: Hi, Steve, good boys went to the game first time to the season last night and obviously say those magnificent things that Boss does when he's on the TV screen, But I was so impressed with the little things that he was doing behind the play, given Tracy a chop out blocks for Jia Miss and just you know, when the flag nede to be playing, he's the first blake in.
Speaker 27: There and put himself up for us.
Speaker 28: I thought that was just awesome. One of the second thing was was the amount of times that joy Miss would lead and lead hard that create space for him and his midfielders wouldn't honor it. And I think that's a coaching issue that's that's going to be sorted down there, because that guy was absolutely working his ring off but not getting the rewards.
Speaker 21: The thing about Thanks Patty Voss is he's got a lot of energy, a lot of energy, and it's infectious to his teammates and I think he brings out of the training track, you know, he got the energizer, Buz it funny that you need. And yeah, and he's physical and he wants, he wants to immerse himself into the game. He's hungry for the contest. He's got a thirst and an appetite. And it's it's a it's you know, it's easy to coach that you just got to trim the rough edges. But he's going to cause a lot of problems for opposition sides with his bollocking and he's you know, his physical presence sit underneath the back with him coming.
Speaker 1: Good luck. Yep, thanks Steve, good dave.
Speaker 17: A lot of problems.
Speaker 1: Hell, hello, Dove, just drop me radio off a bit there made and we can have a chat to you far away.
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry about that.
Speaker 29: Look, I'm just following on on what Steve just said on AMOS. I remember Lee matthis used to use as a critical criteria of fairest and best the one percenters and just you guys are more excert than me. But last week the North Melbourne winning goal was all his hard work that dished out to Jackson. And yesterday I was at the game and we watched him and he works so hard and deserves a lot more than the credit he gets, especially in these three word responses in the West about how he's playing just because he's not hitting the scoreboard is not integral to the team's success.
Speaker 5: An interest in your comments.
Speaker 21: Yeah, Dave, I understand the sentiment that a lot of people's good to say that they're watching the work that he does off the board as opposed to the stats and what's written in the West Australian day after because a lot of those people don't get it right and don't understand it. But at the end of the day, he has to hit the scoreboard. That's his job as a full forward. You don't want to be going four or five weeks in a row and you've only kicked one goal, but you've been involved in you know the setup and that's everyone's role that the front six, their assessment is on their goal assists and retaining the ball in their front half and making an absolute living a nightmare for the opposition defenders.
Speaker 22: So look, the work rate is there and that's what I like.
Speaker 21: So to Stephen Dave Good acknowledgment of joy Amos's game his work rate off the ball, but Sirer lated, they've got to get bang for buck and he needs to start hitting.
Speaker 22: The scoreboard and probably no.
Speaker 21: I don't like to say this in the modern game, but sometimes the fort it's going to be a little bit more selfish and hit you know once he once he's in range, he's got to back himself and go bang.
Speaker 22: I'm having a crack at this. And sometimes they.
Speaker 21: You know, give it off with you know, someone ten meters to the left or right. They're within their rights and they're thirty twenty five thirty meters out in front of goal. So I'd like to see him hit the scoreboard a little bit more and get reward for his effort.
Speaker 22: His work rates there, it will come.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Dave good Man, cant I, Brad.
Speaker 3: Hey, Bud, how are you good?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 4: Are you just look?
Speaker 30: I'm an estimate sport and I was at the game last night and I was sitting in the three A members section, but that's I was quite humble. I just think that with the game I watched live, I think that we fared pretty well considering there was at least three players with one game were under the belt at that level, two of them coming from the Waffle, which is totally different game plan. I think that for maybe getting a little.
Speaker 3: Bit excited with the win that they had last night. That's just my opinion. And like I said, I walked away from.
Speaker 4: That game last night.
Speaker 7: I fee I'm quite happy with the team that I watched play in their spon Guernsey.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it's good. It's a fair assessment, Brad. But from them will have won five games a row.
Speaker 21: They've got some consistency and there they're shortening the gap between their best performance and their worst. And we saw some real horrors round one and then obviously the Saint Kilda game at Marble. I believe that they've closed that gap from what I've seen in the last three or four weeks. Just their style of played. People say, who have they beaten them? We can only play and beat the sides that the AFL fixer and give you. But the test is coming. The test is certainly coming when they got Sydney up at the SCG. Because they're going to be a bit of a pesky side between now and the end of the year, not going to make the eight, but they're still.
Speaker 22: A very good side.
Speaker 21: They've got Geelong still Geelong here, They've got Collingwood at the MCG or no Collingwood here.
Speaker 22: On a bit.
Speaker 21: No, They've got Collingwood away because they played Collingwood here already, Brisbane away, so Port Adelaide that beat them here last year in that last game. So they've got some games that they've got to make sure that they win and bank. So we're going to watch this last nine rounds is going to be certainly interesting for not only for Freemant but a lot of those teams that in that mix from you know, six to twelve.
Speaker 1: Thanks Brad. I remember when we you and nicely go to waffle footy as kids. Ye, you won your lost, you won your lost. You went to the footy and there was always hope and it was happiness. Now we worry about what's going to happen and the last week, in the last weekend in September when it's now it's about enjoying foot is about enjoying it week to week, isn't it? Riding the highs and lowers.
Speaker 21: That's that's the life we live in. We're impatient. We want it now, Yeah, we want it.
Speaker 1: That's just that's with Sean Darcy wants that yes, went to week then three bags of ice or twelve bucks.
Speaker 21: But yeah, I understand your sentiment. But yeah, the game doesn't sleep, doesn't it keeps moving?
Speaker 1: Yeah, at a rapid rate. Great, Jeff, Thanks Brad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, greetings Glen. What what can you put your finger on for? For Freddy in terms of it gets to the contest, but it doesn't. He will half lay a tackle but not finish a tackle. So there's someone who played a little bit of waffle. But that was all. Where do you say him?
Speaker 1: I'd like to see completing.
Speaker 22: It was a fringe player.
Speaker 21: I mean he had five disposals, kick two goals one but look, he's a fringe players and outside play runs and carries excites. But I want to see him, you know, when he dominates and he has those breakout games and does well and excite the crowd. I guess, Jeff, I want to see him do it at the m c G when when hopefully time comes or away from you know, the inside boundary lines of Optics stadium. So it's a consistency thing for them, those type of players. Because he's got so much upside, I'd like to see him more. More physicality from him, you know, in and around the ball and use his footage smarts, but he is that finishing player that runs and carries the ball and it looks a million dollars. Some people call him downhill scars, but yeah, when when the game is really tough, I haven't seen him really produce a performance that we walk away and we go, oh that was good, you know, whereas you know Jordan kla look at Murphy Reid in his first year, what he's doing. Kicked the goal again last night and as a real contender for the NAP Rising Star Award this year, he's right up in the top two or three that contesting for it. So he's got some good footy smarts. I'd love to see Frederick do a bit more of that.
Speaker 1: You're on the All Australian selection committee. Don't want to give too much away. Jordan Clark's on your mind, isn't he.
Speaker 21: Oh yeah, it's a serious consideration. And the good thing about it it's not me and Ponimu either.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 21: Obviously we'll put our players up from w A, from both teams, but there's a lot of recognition for a few good players at Free Mount in a minute from the East and Counterparts, which I which makes our job out a little bit easier because we don't have to punch the desk.
Speaker 1: A lot before hal about ten. We'll come back in just a moment. Glenn Jackovitch with us today Oscar Allen and Jeremycgovern two massive West Coast names. What does their future hold? And I'll get Jacko's tips for the remainder of the round.
Speaker 21: Right again, you did three to four in a round, Yeah, criticized me, saying that I don't think many.
Speaker 1: I reckon. If we look back over you, mate, you are you are two and nine. I reckon the last two bag in a zeck.
Speaker 10: Mitchell southbound. Some lingering delays hepburn ab Otherwise a pretty good run into the city. No issues on the Quanana Graham Farmer and the tunnel both moving well. And be aware the netball is on the rac Arena. Doors open four forty five. The so afternoon match starts at six pm. You can expect increased congestion around r ac Arena. I'm Robiver on Perth's Traffic Leader six PR.
Speaker 1: One double three A eighty two. It's it's Friday and we're talking footing, talking sport, We're talking life. Anthony's phoned in. Hi Anthony, mate, good, thank you.
Speaker 31: Jack.
Speaker 32: I just wanted your opinion.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 32: What's a huge amount of waffle I got. I gotta be honest. I did as a kid, obviously, But I saw the interview for a young fellow the Eagles drafted by the name of Luca Gregor, and I was really impressed with his interview. Uh and where he came from. I'm pretty sure his dad had something to do with conditioning.
Speaker 3: At the Melbourne.
Speaker 32: Storm something along those lines. How's he coming along in the Waffle and you know he's he only close to getting a game or you know what have you heard about his form.
Speaker 6: Et cetera.
Speaker 22: Yeah, thanks Anthony for cool.
Speaker 21: Luca Grego is certainly impressed in the in the preseason, and I guess it's a balance of how many youngsters you do play, Anthony. I think we'll see a debutante of Luca, hopefully in the coming weeks, because this kid's a very good decision make with ball in Hanne. His agility test in the Combine last year was the second overall and he runs a six thirty for a tea time troll. So is midfielder defenders so strong on one strong, strong one on one contests that I've seen in the Waffle.
Speaker 22: Some snippets.
Speaker 21: He's not afraid to go in and get the ball, and he wins it more than he loses it. So it's just a development and time with the young kids. Can be careful that the problem that West Coast faces that the question why you know, probably Tim Kelly hasn't been admitted to the Waffle is because they haven't got the depth of senior players out there now with Oscar Allen gone for the year during mcgovernor indefinite, you've got obviously Jake Waterman out, no Eliet go out there, So they're really struggling for that senior leadership and you've got to be careful like it's baptism and fire with all the young kids out there, but they're they're enjoying it.
Speaker 22: And then you had Tom.
Speaker 21: McCarthy that come out and perform the way he did and enjoyed his performance. So how many do you keep playing without you know, the body experience and the body of works around them. So let's I mean's a good cour and there's there's a growing campaign for this Luca Gregor to get an opportunity and you know people want to see him and people like yourself that read and heard about him and we're all waiting for it.
Speaker 22: So good court.
Speaker 21: But we'll see, we'll see hopefully in the coming weeks between now and then the I'm sure he's going to get a.
Speaker 1: Look thanks to Anthony. Good call mate, wed Unglen. Comprehensive from you, very very good by you. I like the young kids coming through.
Speaker 21: That's where I invest my time now in mid research because I want to see the next Murph you read coming through.
Speaker 22: You know the Tom Mcarthury.
Speaker 21: West Coast have had a really good last three years in the mid season draft, so Ryan Marrick and young Jack Hutchinson. So I mean there were players. They can play, they're ball players.
Speaker 22: They win and find their own ball. They're very comfortable out there.
Speaker 1: Carthy was great, wasn't he last weekend?
Speaker 21: Remember these kids they haven't done pre seasons. They're stacking shells at woollies and then they get drafted. Yeah, it's a great story. So West Coast have done well in that in that aspect in the last couple of years, and hopefully they keep those boys development, develop them, grow them and they become you know, one hundred.
Speaker 1: Plus game players for Muzzle is a perth Man as we know who will contend for the Waffle ground final. He thinks Perth just behind South Frio East. Perth are in their muzza, but there's great to see Perth well and truly in that in SC five.
Speaker 21: Yeah, they're in a they're in a commanding position, but they've played a few extra games then I think it's six place. Pil Pil just out, but I think yes, so they've got to just keep doing, you know, banking the winds as they say. It's an old cliche, but for Perth it's really important that they.
Speaker 22: The third on the ladder.
Speaker 21: They're the only team that's played ten with West Coast ten ten games, so they are eight points ahead of pielt Under who are sixth at the minute. So but a very healthy percentage, that's important.
Speaker 1: Juram McGovern, what are you hearing?
Speaker 21: Glenn' hearing good things? Obviously it's a very serious aspect where he's at. You know, he's at the back end of his career and you got to ask yourself the question. I think Jeremy's asking himself the question, do I really need to go out for another year or another six games?
Speaker 1: Is year?
Speaker 22: Seven games? Have any of its left? And risk my health? And well being.
Speaker 21: He's got a young family, he's got a successful business and the AFL will obviously treat this carefully because they don't want Jeremy to be in any discomfort mentally and obviously physically post his football career. And if they've got to call it, then they'll call it. And I think his legacy will still be one of the premier defenders of his generation. And it's standing footballer, a big game player and what the people performance at Grand Fall and later to get up and actually play and then play the way he did. So there's so many accolades that have come his way. Five time All Australian was the best in Faris last year to do what he's done at the back end of his career and he said he's injury concerns as well.
Speaker 1: So natural football I hateb Yeah, he reads it played.
Speaker 21: Yah's beautif footballer, great football Mine reads it quicker than most of his opponents and gets to the to the aerial contents or the drop of the ball.
Speaker 22: Is a big fella. He's a big boy too, you know so.
Speaker 21: But I think he's on one or one ninety four games, so it'd be nice to see him get to two hundred, but not for the sake of his mental health.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice to see him out on his terms. Player of that Ilkkenner culture so maybe maybe a culture player too. Man, isn't he like character all of that?
Speaker 22: So oh yeah, he's an old fashioned footballer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we know. We we've long thought that and known that Oscar Allen's carrying injury. We now know it's a form of Pteller ten and I, or an effect on his Pteller ten and which can be very debilitating. What's your male on him?
Speaker 21: My male on him, no more than what yours is. But just reading the Q cards that was his last game, I believe. That's my own personal opinion. They're not budged on the negotiating table, and I think other clubs are coming. There will be a cave it if anyone does invest six years seven years into him that are full medical that he'll have to pass. So this operation is probably most needed and he's got to get himself ready for pre season day one, whether it's here, Brisbane or Hawthorne. But I don't think it'll be a West Coast That's my take on it because I don't think I think it's damaged the relationship is damaged from what happened at the start of the year.
Speaker 22: As a captain.
Speaker 21: I'm just if that was my captain and that was going on, I'd be thinking, are you really invested what's going on?
Speaker 22: And then for him to try and lead and.
Speaker 21: By example, I think a few blokes, I don't think you're going to be here the next year, So what are you telling me to put my head over it and commit? And so yeah, look, we'll wait and see you at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Nineteen and a half minutes sou eleven. You heard Glenn Jack which's views on Jeremy McGovern and Oscar Allen. They just get the rest of the tips for the remainder of the round, Glenn. Yes, you did tip Fremantle last night. Geelong Brisbane if.
Speaker 22: Anyone can go down there, Brisbane can do that.
Speaker 21: But they're just a bit flaky in the last month I've seen, which worries me for their defense of their premiership. So Geelong down. They're very hard to be day. Yep, they are beatable down. They weren't as invincible as they once were before. But I'll tip Geelong.
Speaker 1: Howdy Danesfield played fifty.
Speaker 20: Yeah, he's in the.
Speaker 21: Top five of his generation football as put Buddy Dusty round Loan and then then put himself in there. Yeah, consistent, performing big games and just an out and out champion, you know, so a fantastic feller.
Speaker 1: I was listening to three aw yesterday and they said when he won his premiership, when he put one word up on social media everest. So he has climbed the mountain. A lot of you guys have, but that was obviously important for him, but he and he got it.
Speaker 22: At the back end of his career.
Speaker 21: I mean it was you know, he became a bit of a weight on his shoulders that you know, he's going to experience money, he's going to win one.
Speaker 22: He one every other.
Speaker 21: Accolade in his in his illustrious football career and he's still doing a lot of good things. Probably could be even contender for an All Australian position this year the way he's going and number nine, I think he'll.
Speaker 22: Be number nine.
Speaker 9: Yees, So.
Speaker 21: Well done to Patrick Dangerfield. One of the most explosive, powerful footballers of his generation. So yeah, he'll go down, as you know, as an all time great.
Speaker 22: Of the game.
Speaker 1: Carlton North Melbourne.
Speaker 22: Both traveling from last week, both leaving so that that neutralizes, that, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Carlton poored Adelaide the Sydney in Adelaide.
Speaker 22: Toss the Coinsim, who are you going for?
Speaker 1: Ala? I'll follow you. Georgie Ardi's back and form.
Speaker 22: Yes, seven goals for last week.
Speaker 1: Yep, amazing Port Adelaide, Hello, tour Nadine to his mum, will be listening today. Collingwoodson killed her Collywood g WS versus Gold Coast.
Speaker 22: Yeah, giants all right.
Speaker 1: Jesse Hoagan, how good? Western bulldogs Richmond?
Speaker 22: He doesn't miss?
Speaker 1: Does he doesn't miss? He does not miss? No funny little run up? Yeah it works, Western Bulldogs Richmond Bulldogs. Yeah, all right, Jacko's tips and he got frio last night Geelong over Brisbane, Carlson over North Melbourne, Port Adelaide over Sydney, Collingwood Overson killed her GWS over the Gold Coast and Bullies over Richmond's game with all the favorite So yes, no, Jacko, if you will, gla and I'm allowed going to allow you to digress this week. If you want to add him, you can't, okay, all right? Just for something different. Dick Land Jakovic watched the state budget announcement last night. No, I was working all right. State of origin a rugby league wasn't what it was cracked.
Speaker 4: Up to be.
Speaker 1: No, so good, wasn't it.
Speaker 22: That's Danny so good, brilliant. I love that tribal warfare.
Speaker 1: Second best food and beverage revenue intake since the in history. Yeah, the leagues, The leagues don't mind heading back.
Speaker 22: Up to the twenty tuck shop twenty eight twenty six.
Speaker 1: What a scoreline heading the ball will be banning junior soccer eventually. Yes, Luke Jackson should be and is the Docker's number one ruck. Yes, nat Fife needs to go back to starting on the ground.
Speaker 22: Yes, but I don't see a position for him when hating young comes back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough, isn't it. Crowd still love him? Why not? You can put your house on the Dockers playing finals footy this year. No, Patty Voss is the next cult hero of the Dockers and according to Mark Redding's akin to the Wizard, Jeff Farmer Tony modern Clive Waterhouse, Yes, I like it. The Optus turf has redeemed itself this week after wet weather and four matches in seven. Yes, up, the stadium staff will spend forty hours of the week in sleeping well and Jack Yeah, Jack Graham is a lot for the John Worsfold Medal. No Leam Baker is a lot for the John Warsfeld Medal. No close, who's a lot?
Speaker 24: No one?
Speaker 21: No, right, there's still alloying games ago, there's probably three that can right in it. Don't know what if you got injured and missed a few games. Young Brady Hopefood have.
Speaker 22: Been leading I reckon around the round eight round nine period.
Speaker 1: Don should Don Pike be allowed to go on holidays during the season.
Speaker 22: No, Well they can't go, so you can't go.
Speaker 1: He's going to the Caribbean. He's about at three for the Australians against the Windys. Cost Us is back in and Josh England is in for Steve Smith. Good good?
Speaker 33: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How good.
Speaker 22: The play the time they dropped him.
Speaker 1: Oscar Allen has let the Eagles down. Yes, the Eagles let Oscar Allan down. No, having upire mugshots in a changing room is smart footy by the Dockers. Yes, Patrick Dangerfield playing his three fiftieth tonight is better than Chris Jard no, pregnant women should not be allowed to take time off to have a baby.
Speaker 22: Yes, very very careful that last week I got to exit this.
Speaker 1: That's from man. Thank you for today, mate. Enjoy the weekend. Thank you mate, well done, and enjoy the footy.
Speaker 22: Enjoy from all this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look out the mighty red ve. This stands Victory who playing swoobie or I think you got the boy? Yeah, Glenn Jackovitch. We're lucky to have him. Thirteen and a half minutes to eleven back in a second, A big change of gear for us. Now we go into eleven o'clock, the eleven o'clock hours without Barnsey today. So we've got to have a couple of topics for you if you want to weigh in. We've got a couple of interviews coming up. One of them is, as a result of the state budget, is the cost of junior sport? The cost of playing junior sport. We've got a little list of how expensive junior sport is. I know I've covered the topic a number of times when I've been working here at six PR. I know others have too, But we've just got a little list of how expensive junior sport is in the state. Now kid sport is around. So if you are a concession card holder and your kid plays sport, you get two hundred bucks from the government that goes to the club rip A program kids sport. I think it costs us the government about nine million dollars a year, but it gets a lot of disadvantage families and kids playing footy, netball, swimming, soccer and the likes. So kid sports are ripper. But we're going to look at the cost of playing junior sports as the We're halfway through the winter sport period, so we'll have a look at that. And it's the winter solstice tomorrow, so it's the shortest day of the year tomorrow, being the date that it is Berth, only get ten hours and three minutes of sunlight tomorrow, So more rain fore cards for this weekend. So on a personal hey, you're going I've had washing on the live for three weeks. I've had washing on the little thing, you know, the little dryer thing for two weeks. So I've got wet clothes everywhere. I keep re washing them and re hanging them when I am yesterday from the city and raining in my spot so they wet again. So I don't have a dryer, and I do tend to use the laundromat, and my laundromat has tap and go speed queen tap and go. A lot of laundro mats still have tokens or coins. Who's got coins? Who wants to use token? So I'm going to look at that today as well. Any tips for drying clothes. I do not have a dryer. I think they use too much electricity. I don't know. It's just one of those things I have in my head that they are a luxury item that I can't afford. What do you reckon? My clothes have been on the line for three weeks now, the same clothes to work every day. A little bit damp in the morning's one double three eight e two is the window solstics. Tomorrow getting a washing dry will be a challenges. Anyone still use laundro mat so I do. It's a good one. In Duan Craigny where I live, it's tap and go four bucks for twenty four minutes in the big driers. You can do about three loads in one of those laundromat dry things and means I don't have to pay for it at home. One double three a D two Love to hear from you today. Lots of correspondence on the Yes No Today. Are you do use container for has change? A lot of our listeners do. And I really like the stories that people are coming in with with how they using the money and the charities that they're donating to. One double three eighth two simon a game bringing out the state of origin. Game they're throwing in a stat is the third highest catering take for a game at off the Stadium. It was second highest from the anonymous caller and just more nonsense bs from these thugby sicker fans s I c k a f A n t s sicker fans s A c k a f a the nts from anonymous correspond I think that SMIs is rendered null and void by that spelling of sicker fans. That's funny. Huge tip try putting your clothes under a covered area on the before winter rain. Very smart move, Thank you, Joe, What no barns you? What happened Barnes? He's having a day off today. Tap and Go laundromat doesn't accept Westpac, says Kyle A Frio. What I don't know why that would be, Kyle. That's that's not very nice, is it?
Speaker 32: One?
Speaker 1: Double three a eighty two? So state of origin was here and it was very successful. Good for business, mister chairman. If you're listening and there's another game on the weekend, the Dolphins are in town. The Dolphins are running one hundred and sixty points in the last three games. They've got arguably the best player in the comp Katoa playing in the team and he's a ripper. So go along soon there playing the Newcastle Knights. Get along and see him. The playing at the Rectangular Stadium actually says I do use containers for changing his great, says Ashley, thank you. Marsa says I use containers three change. It's for mate. Kim says I snap. I used to say launcher matter as you. I'm surprised I haven't seen you there, Thanks Kim. Yeah, it's the dun Craig laundromat. Speed queen tap and go and she's no good signmon. They shrink your clothes. Hope. Barnesy's okay, says Darren. Can tap and go at the laundromat, but not on a bus and of trains as Brendan. Yeah, that's what. Yeah, when are we getting that? Do we have the David Heines audio still Jimmy, see if you can find it. I think you're here early in the week. We'll see we can find it. David Heines from the PTA spoke to the station in twenty eighteen about when we were getting the Smart Rider changed and move over, how.
Speaker 25: Do you here?
Speaker 34: We go?
Speaker 1: Here we go?
Speaker 33: Here's heinz he This is mayor Core, particularly those who are public transport users, that we're training a new version of Smart Rider. There's a big Smart Rider upgrade in the offering coming up quite soon.
Speaker 1: So at Heines, who is a good fella and now retired. That was twenty and eighteen. He spoke to the station and it's twenty twenty five. Now we still ain't got that thing. Five minutes to eleven o'clock. The use containers for change? If you don't, would you do it if the refund was doubled? The yes is in ninety one and the nose at ten. Do you use laundromats? Tap and go laundromats to good? Aren't they? I haven't got a dryer? Should should I buy a dryer? I don't reckon, I should one double three eight eight two, just another reason to attract mice. I would have thought four and a half minutes to eleven. Thank you for listening. I'll be back in a sec. Thanks for your advice on dryers and laundromats and all of that. Some it's funny. I'll get to that in just a second. Win to solstice tomorrow. Can some of my washing has been wet for three weeks? Good a Debbie.
Speaker 31: Yeah, Hi, Simon. I drove out from Buffington yesterday to go to football and had a lots from the cause to the football stadium because there's absolutely no buses coming to the stadium for a Thursday night or a Friday night game.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 31: And I spoke to security. I supposed to transfer everybody that you might know the answers, and of course the simple answer was, well, the government don't have enough buses because people getting home from work at that time and school kids are trying to get home from school and there's no busses. So the buses are there to take you home, but they're just not there to get you there.
Speaker 1: Yeah that look that that sounds about Thank you, deb That sounds about right.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I went to State of Origin Wednesday and my Uber driver just said get out here and everyone Zuber driver did that and everyone just got drove off the unofficial Uber stop for those people in the no which is Victoria Park driving Canfield drive and yeah, buses are scared. So I've either taken the train or walked here from six over from six pm and the weather's been a bit better. Thanks Deb, Thanks for your cal It's eleven o'clock now, Thank you for listening. Had a call just prior to the news from one of our listeners who were headed to the fully last night from Bustleton. I think, and I think it's always been an issue busses going to opt Us Stadium going to the Peninsula on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday nights when people are coming home from work. To be fair to the PTA, they've always said we will struggle to get buses onto the Peninsula on those nights. Maybe it's just a case of our listener having not done it before. Jeff says, no busses to opt a spin like that since the stadium opened busso Patron could have caught a bus from mandra or from Coburn. Plenty of parking at Rockingham as well. It's always been the case, hasn't it. Matt says, Maybe Simon can register as a charity and Containers for Change can pay for his dryer bill. Thanks Matt. Erect the line in your carboard or invest in a fold outline under the Eve says Len, I've got one of those. Limited. Still the clothes are still all wet. Rob says, don't buy a dry cost too much and producer condensation in the room promotes stampness. Thanks for your thoughts, Thanks for your help. This one here from Colin. Buy a heat pump clothes dryer. Ours is eight star energy rating one hundred and thirty four killer. What's energy use per year? Cost about twenty cents per hour of use? Cheap? Hey yeah, column, Thank you mate, speaking good sense, No good Simon. They shrink your clothes and Dean's has put your sock over the end of the hair dryer dries in thirty Sean, Dean, I haven't got a hair dryer for obvious reasons. Charms is by the time you wash them a few times over, you could have paid for the dryer. Thanks for your thoughts. And another someone else is doesn't have a name, but I don't normally read those. But it's funny. Someone's just dried their dog blankets in the dry that you're using for your clothes. That's your lindsay in the background. Do you use container for change? You've got Yes, it's a ninety one, the nose a ten. Would you do it? Or would you if you know? Would you do it if the reef end the refund was doubled. There's a rumorphile to a rumor to the rumor file this morning, and it sounds.
Speaker 23: Like this.
Speaker 35: Rumor has it that the Jodal Love Health Campus is reintroducing universal mask wearing for all staff across clinical areas.
Speaker 1: The directive says, as.
Speaker 35: Of now, surgical mass should be worn by all JHC staff in all clinical areas, hospital areas where social distancing is not possible and where you are in close contact with any patients. That's because of the very high levels of flu and COVID that are now in the community.
Speaker 1: Really, so it was the room of this morning to Milsey and Carl and to the team, and we've had a response from the June Up Health Campus type the rumor of file, guys, don't mind us following this up because this probably won't hold until Monday. What do you have for a Sean so Junal Love Health Campus in good morning?
Speaker 36: Bowie is in Love Health Campus is encouraging staff to wear surgical masks in all clinical areas in response to an increase in respiratory viruses, including influenza in COVID nineteen, which we are seeing more of than usual for this time of the year. The request was communicated to staff yesterday, hence how it got to the river file, and is aimed at protecting vulnerable patient, staff and visitors by reducing transmission of respiratory viruses. Who will continue to closely monitor the situation. So if you're at the gy of Health campus, you'll see a lot of masks and you should probably be wearing a mask as well.
Speaker 1: Rumor confirmed fully sick Seawan Sewan. We have a number of media outlet's saying that Jeremy McGovern I'll get you to read the proper terminology. We spoke JACKO and I spoke to Jeremy McGovern about has he played his last game? What are you seeing in here?
Speaker 36: It appears to be all but we confirmed that Jeremy Governor has played his last game for the West Coast Eagle. Sir Mitch Cleary, who is a seven reporter over in the E space out of Melbourne. He's tweeted EXE time ago. Jim McGovern has been medically retired by the AFL's concussion Panel. Finishes are five times All Australian Premiership hero in Club Best in Paris from one hundred and ninety seven games. One of the greatest defenders of a generation, although not quite as good as Glenn Jakovic. According to Glenn Jakovic, it's really really sad news. The West have picked it up as well, so we'll see more reports coming on this. There was conjecture that he would be out. He obviously got concussed in that sort of innocuous marking contest against Melbourne. I think it was Jake Melksham pushed him into a contest and he hit his head. He has had a couple knocks during his career, a couple concussions. He was the best in Fairest last year. He was All Australian last year, so he's still an outstanding player. Possibly the West Coast Eague was best defender of all time, and we talked about Jackie Toot, Ashley McIntosh. You talk about down Glass her all legends of the club. So for him to go down in that way is he's tragic, I think, and it's very sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not on his own turns, potentially son of Andrew what I mates that's been reported reported by mostly by the Sevenweek At this stage.
Speaker 36: Cleary and Mitch Cleary has obviously broken that one out of Melbourne and now the West to picking out through Smantha Rogers. I suspect, as I said, there were whispers around the traps that this was going to happen. I think insurances. It's very complicated concussion things as well, and obviously once the AFL panel, once a concussion panel, which is an independent panel, once they say you're done and dusted and that's it. So careers have been ended because of that panel. They're obviously trying to cover themselves for down the track. It's just a shame that we won't be able to see this guy play again. Therese long lanky arms pulling in marks.
Speaker 1: In decent marks. Yeah, running back with a flight of the ball, et cetera. Thank you, Sean, Well, I'm sure. Lindsey from the executive producer desk here at Perth today we did have a question for our listeners. Are yes, no question for you this week? Have you had the flu this season? Yes, the twenty nine and the nose of sixty seven. We had had have had confirmation up at JHC Dune Light Health amp as staff are wearing masks, as was the rumor through to the program at Brecky this morning, we did follow it up today rather than wait till until Monday and a couple of days of a couple of days would pass before the boys would come back to it. On a Monday. It is thirteen and a half minutes past eleven got on like a junior sport. There's a story coming out from an Eastern States media outlet the junior sport. It's becoming so expensive that people are now avoiding it even if you can get a voucher. So in WA we have Kids Sport, which has been an incredibly successful program. Other states have rolled it out subsequent to the WA program, and it's a ripper. It's for you. If your family I reckon, one of your family's a concession card holder, you can get the state government to pay two hundred bucks to your junior sports club. So your kid can play soccer, forty, rugby, swimming, netbor whatever. But now the price of the sports is so expensive that even the vouchers aren't making a difference. We will follow that up in just a moment. Paul from bass Water has confirmed the Jeremy mcgovernment news. Thanks Mark. An email has been sent to all West Coast members about a minute ago. So West Coast Eagles a minute ago have received a confirmation that Jeremy McGovern has been medically retired. What a player, what a gun? Premiership player, culture player, five years, five times, all Australian, absolute gun, as Sean said, the Warsaw medalist from last year and also all Australian last year in a pretty ordinary team. He's been a gun, hasn't He doesn't get to go out on his turns. But we will remember him for all those all those marks, all those funny interviews, all that he brought to the team. I do remember sim I'm always talking about him trying to get out of training and you know how about were allowed to have a beer this Sunday or whatever. So real character North Albany football. Originally his dad's His dad was a journeyman as a professional. I think Andrew worked in banks from memory, and of course was a freo player as well. It's fifteen past eleven. Sad news. Jerem McGovern medically retired. Thanks for listening. We'll come back in a sec going to continue our chat on containers for change kids sport? Is it too expensive? Stay listening? Thanks listening in today. Mitch has put your clothes on the air dryer. I can put your pedestal fan on towards the closed to air dry them. Thanks Mitch. You tried that mate, with limited success. I've got to say, Peter says a saying close era and a pedestal fan. Lots of frugality out there amongst our listening audience.
Speaker 9: Good ay, Rod, Hello Simon. I'm out in the conditions for the weather starting to chain. So where are you mate doing bin's I'm there in the Naranda area.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 9: So the recycling business, yep, so you're the weather starting to close and so, but it comes down to been doing it for quite a few years. It comes down to what bins you know that they put them in and what bins to give a miss?
Speaker 1: Okay, So are these commercial bins, residential bins where you where you do.
Speaker 9: The yellow bins. Okay, people just say help you help yourself as long as you as long as you keep it tidy.
Speaker 16: Yeah okay if people people.
Speaker 9: But what you find in you get an education and recycling when you do what I do? Because what how they what they put in bins? What is incredible? Because you do not put containers in plastic bags and wrap them up.
Speaker 3: You put them in loose Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right mate, we'll keep up the good job and stay dry.
Speaker 4: I'll get done before the weather close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll get done before the weather closing. Thanks, Rod, good on your mate. So Rod's out there doing his thing. We have been asking the question do you use containers for change? Enormously popular ninety three yeses took off in a million miles. No how a yes, no question today and ten knows. Caine Blackmim is a CEO at Good Sammy's joins me.
Speaker 15: Now get a Caine gooday bowie, how are you going?
Speaker 1: Going very well? So we can extend this a little bit because there's been a pre election commitment around wine bottles, has there?
Speaker 15: Yes, that's right, wine bottles, spirit bottles and some juice bottles represent about an extra ten percent of total containers in the scheme and right now you don't get any refund for them. And prior to the election, the government certainly made a commitment to seek the introduction of those and that would mean tens of millions of dollars extra for Western Australians. So we can't wait until that gets honored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so cain, what will this look like wem Land. Where will the locations be?
Speaker 15: Well, right now there's over two hundred and sixty places to recycle containers in Western Australia. But you can take your aluminium, you can take your plastics, you can take your glass to those those same sites. When it's introduced, presumably we'll be able to receive those extra containers when it's introduced. Is up to the government that they obviously need to make that commitment and then the scheme Regulator WORREL will be the one that will then implement that and advise. So I'm hoping to see this in the next twelve months in Western Australia. I think in the cost of living crisis, people want access to those extra funds and it will help make the scheme recycle more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cain, what does it have to do with your fine organization?
Speaker 15: Yeah, So I lead Good Sammy and we are the largest not for profit Containers for Change recycler. So Containers for Change is just a brand name, and there's about one hundred plus operators where the largest not for profits. So we recycle over sixty million containers a year. And what peace people don't know is each container is actually worth seventeen cents, not ten cents. The ten cents goes to the consumer, but license recyclers like Good Sammy can get access to the seven cents for a handling fee. So by choosing Good Sammy to get your ten cent collection, we actually benefit. So you can double the good you do when you recycle. Because we're all about disability employment in that scheme.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that, Cain, Thanks for explaining that to it. So we knew about the ten and we knew it was a good system. And we've had so many heartwarming stories today, Caine, from people who you know, give them money to their kids, or teach their kids about budgeting, or teach their kids about cleaning up, cleaning up a verge or a bit of bush land so it does have a lot of points that's good for the community, including benefits the joints like yours.
Speaker 15: Hey, oh absolutely, we're able to employ thirty plus people. Over forty percent of our workplace has a disability and that's so important for financial and social independence as well. So really encouraging people to reach out to those community recyclers like good Sammy, because you can double your impact with your ten cents for yourself and seven cents for us. The other point I'll make also is our refund rate in Western Australia sits below seventy percent of all containers being recycled, and that's similar for most states and territories in Australia that scheme rate though overseas in places in Europe sits above ninety percent. Germany, Finland, Denmark, Slovakia, Lithuania all above ninety percent. One of the key reasons is that customers can get more than ten cents in those schemes, So we're a big advert for seeing a higher rate in the future. Ye that customers can get all.
Speaker 1: Right, that's my next question. If you saw a go from ten to twenty cents per per ride and return, you'd be okay with.
Speaker 15: That, it would absolutely be okay that I think most West Australians would.
Speaker 4: Be as well.
Speaker 15: They would love that more money in their pocket. And I think in terms of strong scheme operators as well for the handling for they would like that as well. One of the challenges is actually getting out and picking up containers. Not everyone always brings them to you. So a higher rate would allow more trucks on the road to be able to collect some of these containers as well more jobs. So yes, a big fan if it went higher than ten cents.
Speaker 1: All right, just excuse me, Kine, just to circle back to where we started. When do you think the wine initiative will start and what will be the return on a bottle of wine?
Speaker 15: Well, when it starts will be a question for government that made a pre election commitment for it, so I'll need to announce when. My hope though, is that we see that within the next twelve months and it will mean those containers such as wine bottles will have a ten cent eligibility refund for it, so it'll.
Speaker 4: Be ten cents.
Speaker 1: Okay, good to talk to you mate, Thanks for explaining, clearing up a few things and go well, keep up the good word. Thanks Bowie chuse mate see mate. Kane Blackman, a CEO of Good Sammy's. So there are over one hundred operators within containers to change. Containers for Change is the brand name or the name of the initiative. A lot of operators do get that money back. I had a lot of correspondence that there's some Scout groups that are recipients and Scout groups running these places as well, which is really good to see. It's pretty difficult to find any any loopholes or opposition into what we're seeing with regards to Containers for Change. Twenty five minutes past eleven, I want to talk about the cost of junior sport if we can. Parents of young sports people both from winter and summer sport, in some case are now paying more than five hundred bucks a year for their kid to play football, soccer, cricket, whatever it is, plus a bit more on equipment. So there's research in the University of Sydney, and this is an Eastern States report, is that some parents are not even bothering because vouch they might get from the state government simply doesn't cover the full cost of the sport the kids are playing in Amanda Derbyship is the program director of kid Kiddo and Kiddo I believe is based at UWA joins me in now High. Amanda, Hi, Simon, how are you? Yeah good? Thanks? Tell us about Kiddo.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 37: Look, Kiddo's a program that supports educators in primary schools and early childhood services to deliver really high quality programs based on the latest research that help kids learn how to run, jump, through catch all those skills that they need to be able to go on and play sport and be active throughout their life.
Speaker 1: So what do you make of this argument? We have the kids sport initiatly's been around a WA for a while. I think the vouchers went from one hundred and fifty to two hundred dollars in the last couple of years. The money actually goes to the junior clubs themselves, Amanda, not to the family, and that you need a concession card to access it all. What do you make of this notion that junior sport is too expensive to play?
Speaker 37: Look, it is really expensive. I think the WA vouchers are actually now worth five hundred dollars and that is you know, cost is one big barrier for a lot of kids playing sports and families, but it is probably just one of the barriers. I mean, sport just doesn't really meet the needs for all kids these days. It's often focused on, you know, finding the kids who are best at sport and those elite pathways, whereas a lot of kids just want to play and have fun with their friends. So I think, look, cost is a big barrier. I know, my son plays hockey and it's hugely expensive. By the time we pay the fees and the turf fees each week and the umpires, it really does add up. And that's just for half the year. But I think it's really important that you know, there's so many other barriers to kids playing sport and they you know, often drop out before they're teenagers, and we need to focus on how we can support those areas as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, and kiddo, does that You're happy your program is an option for parents and families.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 37: Lookido is supports educators as well as families. It's got lots of activities to help them get those basic building blocks skills, but we want them to go on and play sport and have all those benefits of being part of community clubs. That's what Kido's aim to do to help them have that positive experience when they get to clubs and sports. So it's really important that we can develop sporting clubs that are flexible enough to meet the needs of what kids want to do these days and overcome some of those barriers that families face getting their kids to play sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, thanks for chatting to a Samana no predence. Thank you really appreciate kiddos Ki double do o, Ki double do o. They are at the at Uwa base I think. So if you look at the sports and how much it costs to pay, how much it costs to play. So these are junior sports, okay, so up to seventeen and these are averaged out. Gymnastics is the most expensive on average eight hundred and seventy two bucks. This is a national This is a national article. Tennis next, swimming next. Cricket's quite expensive, which surprises me. So I've always thought cricket and Aussie rules in particular, they have national sponsors. So I think when my kid was playing cricket, I think the Colinwealth Bank was a sponsor. So cricket was around about one hundred and fifty to two hundred dollars a season. Ossie Rules was always Cheeks. It was sponsored by the NAP. Used to be around about one hundred and fifty dollars a season, now it's two sixty nine. Netball's pretty reasonable national sponsor. Ossie Rules reasonable rugby union, reasonable, soccer can be expensive or football. We kept to buy a fair bit of kit, you know, like actual clothing kit, and didn't necessarily have a national sponsor. But yeah, your thoughts and as particularly too. I mean, that was the kid oo version of junior sport participation, but there would be hundreds, if not thousands of junior footy, soccer, netball clubs out there who have benefited enormously from the kid sport program.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: I think it was the Greenwood Footy Club, Greenwer Junior footy club way way back. They had seven kids in their team who were kid sport kids who wouldn't ordinarily be playing. Was when my bloke was about twelve, and they were the you know, just one of those clubs that really benefited from having those kids playing. They just have and they had to be low social and economic family kids, and they were gun footballers as well. So I'd love to hear from you today junior sport? Is it too expensive? What is most expensive? It would appear that gymnastics is reasonably or very costly. Gymnastics and dancing are pretty costly, aren't they. Gymnastics has high level coaches even at club level. You know you need accredited coaches for gymnastics. What do you reckon? One double three A eighty two? Just Sewan has returned to the studio a little bit more on Jeremy McGovern.
Speaker 36: Absolutely confirmed that he is set to retire. I think we've heard that from Paul as well. Now he will be meeting with media at twelve thirty today. West Coast Eguals champion Jier McGovern's storied career has come to a close after a collective decision he should retire on medical grounds. Following extensive consultation with his family, club leaders and medical staff, McGovern has accepted a recommendation from the afo's Concussion Panel to immediately call time. So twelve thirty he'll be meeting with me with media at Minred's Park. We'll have a reporter there and I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunity to remember his career and lament his retirement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thank you, Sean. Well, don't sure, Lindsay from our producers area. He's our executive producer of our program. It is twenty eight and a half minutes to midday. Love to hear from me, Chris Murphy. After midday Themrph's Magical Mystery Tour rolls on. Stay listening for our topic of the day. You're more than welcome to contribute and be part of it. One double three eight eighty two, twenty eight minutes to midday.
Speaker 10: Now still dealing with a vehicle recovery in We're Aloud this morning. A Great Eastern Highway close between Great Southern Highway and Old Northern Road. Second alternate road delays are expected. Make sure you plan ahead to avoid them. Otherwise we're still getting a good run at Mitchell, Gwanana, Graham Farmer and the tunnel.
Speaker 11: I'm Rob Beaver on Perth Traffic Leader six PR. Big country in a big country. It's wondering about about the titling there go on to.
Speaker 1: Big There from Scotland. Is that a big country? I always wanted to know. No, I know it's not. You are quite right, Jimmy the Genius it's not Smith from bedved Bedvedale says Bowie expensive sports. My son's goka got eighteen thousand dollars. Now that's an expensive sport, says Smith. That is a price he mate. Just come back to us if you will on zero four ex seven Triple nine at eighty two. How old Bob from Bill bull Winkle Koda Bob, hockey isn't cheap. Hockey sticks are expensive? Thank you. And just a moment on the program, we're going to go to Queensland. There is a little town in Queensland called Glenvale. The pub in glen Vale is called the Three Springs Hotel. It was the subject of a song by Slim Dusty Now a couple of years ago and rub r double af fly past or the ceiling and the pub collapse and a lot of local windows in houses get shattered. Two years later, hasn't been fixed. Double a of flypass window shattered, ceiling falls in on the pub. Still hasn't been fixed two years later. We'll talk about that in just a moment. Let's do this on per six pr the stock market reports Owe Claire joins us from Shore and Partners, and the oil prices up again. Ohe good morning, Good morning to you, Simon.
Speaker 15: Even with Donald Trump giving himself another two week period to decide whether the US will get directly involved in the Middle East conflict, oil prices still increased a bit more overnight. I mentioned earlier in the week that that critical oil shipping lane between Iran and Oman is becoming increasingly difficult to navigate through, and a quarter of the world's oil comes out of the Persian Gulf through that strait of muzz Overnight, the head of the oil company Shell said the daily price to charter and oil tanker to go from the Persian Gulf to China was just below twenty thousand dollars two days before Israel attacked Iran. Now it's forty seven thousand dollars a day, so it's more than doubled. So while the oil price has definitely increased recently, it's the cost to transport the oil that is really skyrocketed, so that will be felt at the petrol bowser as well. Says in Ampol, we're down as low as nineteen dollars fifty in April, they're now at twenty five dollars eighty and Viva Energy have gone from a dollar forty up to two dollars ten over the same period. Shares in Woodside and Santos are just marginally stronger today, but where we've seen a bit of weakness is in the banking sector. The banks have been doing pretty well recently, but today Combank have retreated by two dollars thirty I, Maquaria down three dollars eighty eight and am Z fall and sixty seven cents down to twenty eight dollars forty six. And another small Australian biotech company has been making news base here in Perth. They are looking at ways of treating people suffering with post traumatic step dress disorder PTSD. The government estimates affects one in eleven people in some way in Australia, and as of Wednesday, our largest health insurance Medibank Private, has agreed to cover their four point two million customers for a company called m Riah's Impacts PTSD care program that typically costs between twenty to thirty thousand dollars. Riah's shares are up by fourteen percent today they're at three point three cents, and Medibak Private are steady at four dollars euty eight. But the broader market is weaker. The all odds is down by twenty two points. We're at eighty seven hundred and nineteen.
Speaker 1: Simon eight's seven one nine. The thing about m riah or emria, however you say it, ohe is that that's ecstasy, that's cannabis.
Speaker 20: It is.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, I wasn't going to mention that.
Speaker 15: It's also things like magic mushrooms as well. So all sorts of novel treatments for a pretty debilitating condition. Hopefully they can make some breakthroughs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did a couple of interviews on it yesterday. Oh, thank you mate, and thank you for this week. Thank you for your help, your expertise, any care and we will chat on Monday.
Speaker 15: Have a good one, beautiful cheers, Simon, thank you.
Speaker 1: Are we Claire Neil says from Sure and Partners. Neil says junior sport soccer soccer. Junior sport is expensive because it props up the national body that supports the national side. They don't have the advertising revenue like AFL the rugbies and cricket. Yeah, they don't have a national sponsor, do they, Neil, that's an issue. Do you use containers for change and if you don't yes or no, And if you don't, would you do it if the refund was doubled. The yes is yes is one hundred and five are using it, and the nose are twelve, So not everybody does. We've had some nice stories this morning. We're going to go to Queensland next twenty and a half minutes to twelve. Listener's a. Three Rivers Hotel is in Greenvale. It's about two hundred and fifty k west of Townsville. It's got a population close to two hundred. Slim Dusty wrote a song about it. Here It is the.
Speaker 38: Lomdays are dusty and hotter than hell. Why we all worship Three Rivers Hotel? It's these brothers camp on the banks of the Star, where men from all nations and walks of life far and it's funny to listen to the stories they tell every night round the bar in Three Rivers Hotel.
Speaker 1: It was a couple of years ago that the r Double AF had a fly pass through Greenville over Greenville around Greenville cause quite a bit of damage to the Three Rivers Hotel surrounding residents. Joining us on the program now is Dinker Maravic, who works at three rivers, joins us. Now get a dinker. Hi you Simon, good, thank you? Still not fix some of this damage?
Speaker 39: Nice, Some of the damage are still waiting to be fixed. Somehow fixed it themselves or one gentleman has The rest of the houses are still waiting.
Speaker 1: Still waiting for their windows to be fixed. What's going on there? Dinker?
Speaker 39: Just waiting on replies from the defense. I mean, I think Robbie Katas for getting on board with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's your local Polly, isn't. He's Bob's young blow. So why so long? And what was the damage at the pub where you are.
Speaker 39: The length of time I think is just all the rotape that everyone has to go through. And then at the hotel we had the ceiling lift and come back down, and then within ten minutes if even that, the ceiling started to sag in the dining room and we actually had to close the dining room for a few days to get it all fixed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can hear in the background, I can hear a bit of activity. So you're open now, and business is okay.
Speaker 39: Yes, business is doing well more than merry all right.
Speaker 1: He's just taking defense as you call it, and the local MP a while to get around to fix the joint.
Speaker 39: Yeah, well the MP he's been pushing and pushing, and yeah, I suppose there's just red tape that you have to go through. I'll put it down to red tape.
Speaker 1: It's in all of our lives. Think here, isn't it? No doubt about it? And you are the pub that Slim wrote about. He said he said people should worship three of his hotel because it's hot and you need to you get thirsty.
Speaker 12: You do.
Speaker 39: Yeah, that's a very good pub.
Speaker 1: All right? When do you reckon? When do you reckon your roof? Will we finally fix? And when will the window the shattered windows around town be fixed? If you were a betting woman, ah, I'd have.
Speaker 39: To sit on the neutral on that one and not take a bet.
Speaker 1: You don't know, do you?
Speaker 20: No?
Speaker 1: All right, well we're thinking of you. I'm glad. I'm glad you're up and running this morning, and I know you've got some customers in there, so we appreciate you having a chat to us. And good luck with the the fix up jobs.
Speaker 39: Thank you very much, Thank you, Simon.
Speaker 1: Let's think Maravich, so question there when there is something taking a really long time to fix. One double three A two is the phone number, So doble a a fly pass did some ceiling damage in the Three Rivers Hotel all those years ago, not fixed yet, and those windows shattered in the town as well at houses they haven't been fixed either. One double three eight eady twos the phone number. This one we just played a big country in a big Country. We did a Scottish band Big Country at the Rosemann Hotel in October. Jimmy says, Daniel, thank you. And this one here from who is this listener? Here? Hi boie saw a Big Country in Bristol in nineteen eighty one forty minute set. They did Big Country four times. That can't be right. They can't be right, surely, thanks for your correspondence. That was Dinka Maravich. Three was River's Hotel. Is there something around your joint that hasn't been fixed? Can be some member of your house doesn't fixed something I've got I've got a light. The street light's been out for probably a year and a half out in front of my joint. Was there when the guy, the nice man, I think he's from Western Power cut the cut the line because there were sparks pouring out of the out of the light still hasn't been fixed. Not a bad thing not having a light out the front of your house, but not a bad thing having it fixed either. A lot of corresponds on containers for change. Julie says, yes, thank you to our listeners. We use containers to change and donate the proceeds to rescue dog charities. During the election campaign, Roger Cook announced the scheme of expand include widened Spirit Spirit bottles if elected. Not sure when those nice positive show today, says Julie, Thank you, Julie, it is isn't it's a nice Friday show today. As we just heard from good Sammias, the government will announce when wine bottles will be included. Julie and good Sammy's have one hundred of the two hundred and sixty outlets. Good a Fred I separate my containers from my recycling bin. I live it in a bag next to it. On collection day, it's say some industrial industrious soul from rummaging through the bim cheers. Mate Dawn says, I take all my cans and water bottle and plastic bottles tops and milk bottles tops to wheelchair for Kids, Oli Picket's charity. Thanks Dawn. My mum also collects the tops and friends in the retirement village to Oli and Friends and take them and get the money for their wheelchairs. The win win for Olipicket and wheelchairs for Kids World. Undawn and Donna says, We've got a great Containers for Change recycling center in Karatha which is quick and easy. We always donate our change to a nonprofit in the community. Thank you. John says, yes, I do use containers for change. You in their right mind throws away money. It needs to be extended to tetrapack plastic milk bottles, glass wines and spirits bottles to its madness. What still gets thrown away? You have to live more sustainably, says Pete in Shetewitt Hill. Thanks Pete, thanks for your carow mate. Good a Terry, something that hasn't been fixed for a while.
Speaker 34: Ah, your your favorite simon the Mitchell Freeway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's still not quite there, is it, Terry.
Speaker 34: No, maybe we should just have one of those nice walls they have whichould just paint orens cones for the blockages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's still yeah, you know, Terry, when I came back to work this year. It's came back to the station. I think the first thing I said was, you know, from say Hart and Street into the city, all the witch's hats are gone, all the rubbish had gone, all the roadside furniture was gone. But there's still plenty further north made, isn't there on the Mitchell.
Speaker 34: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, it's got to be done, mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got to be done. Yeah, Norris, Terry, thank you mate. One project at a time, you know, twenty five projects at a time, though, Terry, finish one then move on to the next one maybe, or do we do it all at the same time because the money's there. You might want to call me about Jeremy McGovern. He has been medically retired. He's doing a press conference at twelve thirty today. I don't know that we'll necessarily be able to cover it here on our show, but certainly we'll cover it in our news because Chris Murphy will be in talking music and tunes like we do on a Friday. But if you do want to call me and reflect on what's been a fantastic career by Jerrymy McGovern, we'd love to hear from you played injured a lot, played tall a lot, played smart a lot. We got calls into every single contemporary West Coast eagual we can think of. But if you'd like to reflect on the life and times of Jess McGovern, you can thirteen minutes to midday back in a second. Thanks for thanks for listening in that today, when wine world has become included, we could fund a small village, says Jane. That's completely true, Jane, that is coming, we think, according to a good Sammy's from a man came. What's taken a long time to fix metro net the health system, says sir Esh. Thank you mate. I hope you're having a good day, Siesh. Roger says he uses Container for Change. Just drop mine off. Thirty dollars in my pocket, says Roger. Spend it well, mate, Thank you very much. One double three eighty two. I haven't reckons. The lead singer songwriter from Big Country, Stuart Adamson, died in two thousand and one. Thanks Ivan, didn't know that. Can you please let us know exactly what we can take to Container for Change please? I will, Maxine, I'll find the list for you. But at the moment. It doesn't include wine bottles or spirits bottles Morning Sign. People who wins about costs the junior sport are selfish. It's a babysitter service for most parents, Lee, I don't know about that. That might be the case in some clubs and some parts, Lee, But the sports I saw had massive parental involvement. Footy crickets, you know, really well subscribed both parents, left, right and center for the sports I worked on, and it's very much encouraged. I'll tell you where it's not encouraged, Lee, is that it's in dancing. If you're a dance mama, dad, your lad to watch you only how to watch the concert? Cracky. That's expensive. That stuff good, you know, good for people. Though, I don't use climate for containers for change personally, he says, shame. But do collect for the neighbors kids twenty six each for twenty cents each and might sack the kids big family thing for some people. Andrew Henley brook Day, Henley, my wife uses containers for change. He collects cans, bottles, She walks her dog within three k's of her house. So far over a thousand bottles. That's ten thousand items. Makes you one who keeps throwing the rubbish from their cars. It's no good, says Andrew. Yeah, that's Andrew is on the line now, Andrew, that's no good. Is it rubbish?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 27: I just don't understand. It's a small little dog which doesn't go purpose, but she just walks around the street with her bag in her hand, and every day there's cans and bottles. I don't understand how many one thousand dollars people have thrown away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is it bushland made? Is it or nearby near you?
Speaker 27: No, it's just it's just the regular road along. Then go a road up into ellen Brook and back to our house and they're just always on the side of the road.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's no good. I reckon It's got better over the years. I reckon, Andrew, but I could be wrong. Will Schofield, who is a six PR presenter, commentator, football analyst of course our friend on the program you'll hear scoey on mondays on Perth Today. He joins us now too ready to reflect on one of his fellow bulls. He's one of his fellow defenses. He's being forced to hang up the boots in the socks good a, Scoey.
Speaker 4: Good a Bowie, how are you mate, I'm very well.
Speaker 1: Thanks. We suspect that this was coming, that he'll be forced to medically retire your mate McGovern, but it's come as a bit of a shock. I have to say, Scott, we've lost Goey. Producers, we've lost Goey. We'll try and we'll try and get Scoey back. So he's the press conference on a twelve thirty at MinRes Park over in Lathline. I think we've got Scolley back.
Speaker 4: Sorry Scouey, Sorry, Boie just dropped out.
Speaker 9: May.
Speaker 4: I'm just leaving the footy club. Been there to watch Gov speak to the players at good friends and family and former teammates in the room. So yeah, I mean, I know a lot of people say, you know, a sad day, and yeah, yeah, I suppose it is, but not not really. I reflect on his career with great happiness, Bowie. So I know we don't have too long, but you know from it, kid, it was a rookie draft, a very late one. John Wurswol made the comment he didn't realize the rookie draft went that high, to be honest, when they got him from Albany. Probably not in I didn't understand the requirements have been an elite athlete, but he figured it out pretty quickly and you know, went from twenty thirteen and fourteen to playing in a Grand Final with him in fifteen, winning a premiership in eighteen, and you know, to go and win all Australian jackets pretty much every second year of his career. Just showed how consistent and resilient and great he was. Like he's one of the great defenders of all time, but one of the greatest ever defenders the AFL has ever seen. Don't worry about West Coast and he is a pretty good company there, but that's what he will go down. I was like, I would say the best ever defender. Could you argue with that?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: He talked about it this morning with Jacko, and Jacko of course gently put his hand up. But you know, in the modern era, when there's a fit, you know there's a fair bit happening. You know, a lot of intercept marks, a lot of pack marks contested. Marx really good user of the football. I made the comment, you know to my lay, I go just a bit of a natural football as well, wasn't.
Speaker 4: He Yeah, he was mate like he loved just playing foot and playing with his mates and loved his teammates, played the win everything you wanted a backman. I think he thought he was a ruckman at stages of his career, which I think they tried. I reckon, maybe he's won fiftieth he played a bit of a ruckman and was just absolutely destroyed in there. So yeah, he's a bachman nowhere about that. And you know, yeah, you know, maybe maybe we're a great modern day backman. You know, I think Jacko when he was playing, it was definitely more one on one and what a superstar he was. But you know, modern day defenders, I don't think you could go past Jeremy McGovern sco.
Speaker 1: And I always got an impression whenever you'd hear Simo do press conferences, he was always glass half full. You didn't he was injured, but he wouldn't ever necessarily mention he wanted to play Ford, he wanted to play in the Rock, he wanted to play everywhere. Always stuck his hand up, didn't he.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's just been a good teammate, and you know, he always had great confidence in himself. I remember when he first came to the footy club and he was just like, yeah, play me anywhere, playing me forward, ruck, defender. I'll do anything to play and compete. But probably what got into the next level was believed from others in him as well. Adam Simpson played a huge role in that. I think his teammates did as well. Like I just used to love playing with him. Made my job easier as a batman. I didn't have to worry about intercepting the ball, that's for sure. I just had to worry about keeping my men down and keeping them away from gov and if that meant I had to play on three different players at the same time, so be it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was good fun playing with do so to go back to where we started. You're not unhappy, you know, and you reflect with fondness. How was his speech today? Was he emotional? Was he was it country? The country? Blow? Was it the football? Or what did you see in here today?
Speaker 4: I typical goal trying to start with a gag and it was no good. So I got a couple of murmurs out of that. I think he was trying to get himself comfortable. He was pretty nervous, mate. Yeah, as I've been in the same situation. It's it's not a it's not something you really prepare for. So I'm just you know, I think a lot of people spoken about how much the footy club meant to him, and you know, how much competing and winning and how much you'll miss that. Thank the fans, even even just to the players. Take the fans for sticking by him and the group over some pretty lean years at the back end of his career. You know, highlighted some individual that have met a lot, but really, you know, for someone whos accomplished so much individually, he made it about everyone else rather than himself. And it's just I guess sad that he's been forced to retire, but overall the best decision for his future health and his family.
Speaker 1: Comprehensive, Scoey, as only you can do it. Thank you very much for letting our listeners know, and we'll take some calls them and thanks Gooe, really appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: You know, I'll just tip a few responsible ones in for govern the Sarba reckons.
Speaker 1: So thanks for having us bowie mate Will Scofield back in a second. Thanks Will Scofield for an update on jeremygovern's retirement. Speak to the players and to the club today. How good Scoey, he'll be with us on Monday. How good's Chris Murphy He'll be in after midday Today Merse Magical Mystery Tour continues today's topic of the great five movie songs in Moss Going Mad. Just before we get to Merse Magical Mystery, too, had a little bit of correspondence coming on Jeremy McGovern's retirement. Peter says McGovern was the reason that Eagles beak Collingwood in their last premiership. That great mark putting the ball down the field to that she's kick that miraculous goal. Yeah, bit of Liam Ryan, bit of Vardi and all that one on the Grand Final would have been a lost opportunity. Thanks Petter. That's very nice of you. Dan says mcgovernor's a defender pushed forward kicked the winning goal late in the twenty eighteen season v Port Power that Eagles will never ahead of Port to kick the goal after the siren. Thanks Dan and Aileen. Aileen, who is the voice of reason, says a high sign on a great tribute to go from Willsco Fields had a wonderful career and why not exactly a Cinderella story, No fairy godmother involved, talent, hard work, commit, can achieve, give an opportunity. Is there anyone who doesn't love GOV? A great role model? Thank you, Aileen, It's time to do this. Chris GLEMRV mate here going very well. Thanks.
Speaker 20: So is that because McGovern retired?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 20: I thought he was retired.
Speaker 1: Well, he has been waiting to see what the AFL would say with his concussion. He's medically retired, which is a pretty big one, right, Okay, it is a pretty big one.
Speaker 20: So to send offs, I guess Yes.
Speaker 1: That's the way you do it.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I'm retiring again. Bring on the preses.
Speaker 1: It's like you with your last song.
Speaker 20: Yeah, this's my last song. Wink, wink, nude nudge.
Speaker 2: Say no more more more by wases what.
Speaker 20: I did not see that coming more? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Now you and I need to send someone else off, hopefully only temporarily. There's Anne Barclay. Yes, he is leaving us to go and have little baby Simon.
Speaker 40: And your baby Simon has all right.
Speaker 20: Because I always thought we agreed on Christine.
Speaker 1: We don't know what it is, don't I a boryer girl, but long short list of names. It's nice to have you in with him because you get to see it up close, right. I know you can see it from behind out in the studio.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 41: It's one thing to listen from the other side of the glass, but it's another to be in this room and feel the electric acts in this studio. And when Chris Murphy comes in.
Speaker 1: And the gest is the drum solos almost.
Speaker 40: A little bit on edge. I'm quite sure what's going to happen?
Speaker 20: Do you think?
Speaker 23: I for you?
Speaker 20: I have no idea what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off today, and I thought it'd be appropriate to do it in the final hour before you head off to baby land. We can't offer you parental advice because we're still learning as we go, are we, Chris. We're making up as we've gone along.
Speaker 20: Yeah. I think you make it up all the way along. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Just do your best and look and I.
Speaker 20: Certainly don't ask my kids how I've gone as a dad.
Speaker 1: For sure. From us From Sean and I fantastic colleague, hard working, clever, creative, intelligent, team player, slightly malevolent on occasion when you fix me that baleful malevolence, the little raise of the eyebrowns, passive, passive, aggressive, But that's all. That's all part of your charm and your ability. Now a couple of days ago, we send away for a special going away message from you from from someone listeners, you may recognize this voice.
Speaker 29: Hi and Roger Cook.
Speaker 2: I hear that.
Speaker 12: After a long career as a journalist, the newsreader and now as the producer, you're taking a break for a time being to take on the most difficult challengeable being a parent.
Speaker 17: Now you've got to look out for being a parent.
Speaker 36: You know, little kids, they can chuck tantrums, they can chuck hissy fits, they cry a lot, just like working with Simon and Seawan.
Speaker 42: So you should be fine.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 34: Wish you all the very best and thank you for everything that you've done at six PR.
Speaker 1: Again, that's nice.
Speaker 40: That was incredible. I was blown away when you showed me that video.
Speaker 41: But believe it nice of him to do it, isn't it. I've already rewatched it like four times.
Speaker 1: You send it to your mum and you to Kafeine.
Speaker 40: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 41: Send it to mum and then she said, can I send it on to the rest of the family and I said, no, that's for you.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 20: What they can do with AI now is unbelievable.
Speaker 41: I actually did wonder when I saw the Premier's face come up on the video.
Speaker 40: I thought, is this a deep fake?
Speaker 1: Is this AI?
Speaker 40: But it's legit.
Speaker 1: It is legit.
Speaker 40: Yes, So thanks to string Simon.
Speaker 1: I did, and the Premiers people helped out as well. So thanks, thank you very much. Yeah, thanks to Coops again. Thank you, Am. I'm really going to miss your bowie. We So we're about with thirty five weeks today, aren't we thirty four? Thirty four weeks today? All right? Okay, so do you want advice or not?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 40: You can give me advice. Yeah, I may not take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't really like unsolicited advice though, though, do you? In life?
Speaker 40: I've been getting.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 41: I'm a pretty stubborn person. So if people try to suggest something, then I'll generally go in the other direction, or I'll say you you mimicked me this morning and you say I do this thing, where I go, okay, do you and I say.
Speaker 1: It in that tone which is you got a few sound effects.
Speaker 40: My dad actually in his speech at my wedding.
Speaker 41: He actually impersonated me as well, and he said she was so sting where you know, you tell us something and she goes okay, yeah, And he said that doesn't mean she agrees. It means she's done talking about it and she's already made up her mind for what she's going to do.
Speaker 1: You've already You've got another one too. And I'll get you to pretend you're saying it to Chris. When I tell you something about Hazel Mine, you.
Speaker 40: Go, oh Hazel yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh so good luck, very very proud. It's been unreal working with you. I really hope you get to come back someday. And we're going to really miss you because the other the other bloke's going as well, Benedict Darnold out there, he's heading off too, So it's a big change for us. So and thank you for all your hard work. Thank you friend.
Speaker 40: Being part of the team. It's been incredible. It's really fun to just work with your mates every day. It's very good. Not a lot of people can say they.
Speaker 20: Get to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good luck, thank you, thank you. Enjoyed having you pretty good in She's.
Speaker 43: Amazing and I've been really blessed to be part of the team, but of a short period of time. But I feel like I'm part of the family too, So best of luck with everything. Being a parent is amazing for sure most of the time. Yeah, and thank you for easily forty sixty at the time. Okay, well sometimes it's thanks thanks.
Speaker 1: For making her cuddle you every week as well.
Speaker 20: I get cuddles from everybody. Sean bring it in. Sean didn't cuddle people until I got here.
Speaker 40: Yeah, now you've converted him.
Speaker 1: I'm converting everybody. Yeah, thank you. Ain't good luck. Love to see you back here at some stage. We're hoping you're not lost to the baby factory, and we see you back here at six prs. She's a very We've got a saying here, Chris, good producing, good producing, good producing by Ann. Thanks and thank you. See ya. Today is a musical topic for for mirth. We've set him a task today. This song came out on this day in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 4: Nine, is.
Speaker 1: Due so Mirf. Great song, great song, absolute banger, and it's associated with Space Oddity to Space Odyssey two thousand.
Speaker 20: And one, Ground Controlled the MOUNTI Tool. Yes I may have got that wrong.
Speaker 1: So I'm asking you today, in the time that we have left, your your great movie songs and why top five? Yeah, top five movie merse movie movie songs, and you can ring in, folks, your top your favorite movie song? And why what's number of five? Please? Chris?
Speaker 43: Number five is from The Officer and a Gentleman movie starring Richard Gear nineteen eighty one. I want to say, I reckon this song is just it well, I mean, if you'll excuse the part, it's quite uplifting. But Joe Cocker and Jennifer warns up where we belong to.
Speaker 20: Are the much.
Speaker 29: You know.
Speaker 38: Every well.
Speaker 20: Crime on the Man?
Speaker 1: Hey, why do you like that?
Speaker 20: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's the vocal combos of.
Speaker 20: The I think everything about it. I like the chord progressional, like the melody, and I do like the contrast of Joe and Jennifer's voices together. It's an uplifting song. I think it is. Sherry and I sing this when we're doing our duo together.
Speaker 1: Do you give part?
Speaker 22: I take?
Speaker 1: I'm Joe. That's nice thing to do with your wife, isn't it.
Speaker 20: We started out singing together. That's how we met. We always said our voices married each other before we did.
Speaker 2: Is it right?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: True, that's really nice. She's listening today.
Speaker 20: I think she might be listening today. Hello Sherry, Hello Sherry.
Speaker 1: She if you are listening today, the topic is great movie songs you'd like to ring in. Look, looksmon, you're looking at me, mate.
Speaker 20: I will have you, mate, I will have you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Poke, fund of Mine, Missus wondervel three eight at East. Seriously you changed in front of my eyes and.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 20: Look carefully, my friend.
Speaker 1: Remember play cricket in Albany, Chris.
Speaker 4: Mate, Yeah, I text you about set having some to Simon.
Speaker 13: He took his own life in two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, big country, big country. Yeah, yeah, thank you mate. I didn't I didn't know that. Yeah. What's your what's your movie song? Mate?
Speaker 44: Shake your tail for the Blues Brothers?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good one, Yeah, nice, really good one. Yeah, good on you Oland. Thank you mate. It's a bit a song for that movie.
Speaker 20: I reckon I reckon that one. Yep, yeah, I really do.
Speaker 43: We We tried it out in the early days of Murphy's Law, and it's deceivingly tricky because those guys get a pocket. And if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about a pocket is kind of the groove, but that's a very unique pocket.
Speaker 20: Those guys are the best in the business that play in the band.
Speaker 43: I'm Duck dun and Steve Cropper all from the Booker t and the MG's guys that Staxi Motown. Unbelievable pocket, great song and Ray Charles. I mean, is there anyone better?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Probably not. Thank you, Ivan, We'll take a break. Darren Darren, Derek Mea, Troy Clark, Gary Movie Songs, Merse Top five music Songs. This is a magical mystery tour and Mercy. Until one o'clock today, can call in you might win Caller of the Day. The Call of the Day prize is double passing and see the Chinese terra Cotta Warriors at the WA Museum. Buller Bard It from the June twenty eighth to February, Chris Murphy is with us today's top five songs from movies of all time. Given that space oddity, the song by David Bowie was released on this day in nineteen sixty nine. Let's go to the Phones, Murph.
Speaker 20: Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Grant's Cartterario for having us.
Speaker 20: Grant is amazing over in Morley.
Speaker 43: Yeah, and you go and get yourself a sat NAV or some reverse camera gear from Grant and have an instant coffee while you're there.
Speaker 20: In a bit of a chat with you. Grant is also an amazing photographer.
Speaker 1: Did you know that I did?
Speaker 20: Not amazing photographer?
Speaker 43: And actually the Murphy brothers and murphy' layd have been dining out on some of his photographs for about the last ten years.
Speaker 1: I know that he's a long term supporter of radio.
Speaker 20: Yeah, he's the same guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so good on your Grant. Thank you mate, thanks for partnering up with us today.
Speaker 7: Hi Darren, can i mister Beaumont?
Speaker 24: And I heard that little bit of a chuckle when you mentioned my name before.
Speaker 4: I'm a little bit responded.
Speaker 1: Well, somehow you've managed to sneak something you hear that I've never heard of.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a true story. And also, can I win the tickets to the Terracotta Water is because.
Speaker 13: My missus is Chinese and she won't let me go there when we go back.
Speaker 25: Right, I don't know why I want.
Speaker 1: To see him, So if you can say terror Cootta Warriors properly I'm like, what you just did? Maybe, sorry, I can't.
Speaker 9: I've tried, but I won't.
Speaker 20: I can't.
Speaker 1: What's your song?
Speaker 8: Mate?
Speaker 3: Scream?
Speaker 9: Oh scream when you if you like it?
Speaker 14: By what on Gremlins too?
Speaker 20: You know ches from Darren Gremlins to.
Speaker 1: Classic movie a physic movie that's on a live overview days we got just didn't go might the roster for Gremlins one?
Speaker 20: Actually they kind of lockd it.
Speaker 30: Good?
Speaker 17: I Derek, Good afternoon, gentlemen. I just wanted to Yeah, Hi, I just wanted to correct her and inaccuracy about space audity. It's a commonly held misconception that it's got anything to do with space or space travel.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 17: It's simply about heroin. It's a it's a song about the drug heroin. Bowie references this in the next one of his next songs, Ashes to Ashes, where he states clearly we no major Tom's are junkie. It's about smart, it's about kicking the gear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am I know about this. I know that you can hear it in the second one. But he's been up in space for so long. I just assume that what's that reference was. Let's go to the font of all knowledge on these things? What have you heard there? Merv?
Speaker 20: I didn't know that until just there. I knew that ashes to ashes.
Speaker 43: Sometimes I don't really listen too hard to what song meanings are?
Speaker 20: Do you know what I mean? Kind of ruins it a little bit for me always, I actually thought it was about a guy in space. Now my wife, I love her very much, she knows.
Speaker 43: To me it makes sense, literally, do you know what I mean? And I don't care as well. It's a double whemmy for me. I didn't know and I don't care.
Speaker 20: But great song?
Speaker 1: What songs? What's your number?
Speaker 20: Four?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: My number four?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 20: A little bit of a guilty pleasure, and I don't I also don't care.
Speaker 1: So up where We Belong wasn't a guilty pleasure? Well you think it's a guilty pleasure a little bit? Why? Because you are a hard rocking Gibson playing bloke.
Speaker 20: Mate.
Speaker 43: I'm a vegetarian that likes a little treat of champagne every now and then. So don't judge a book by its cover, okay, and judge your book.
Speaker 1: By its cover.
Speaker 20: This is a guilty play.
Speaker 43: Good luck, It's nine to five. Dolly Parton from nine to five of the movie. That's it's fun.
Speaker 20: It's fun. It actually makes me want to get a day job.
Speaker 43: I'm just joking, but you could imagine. You could imagine if if going to work felt like this song, I'd be in.
Speaker 1: I'd in.
Speaker 20: I think it's great. Let's do it.
Speaker 1: If got to work is good?
Speaker 2: For real?
Speaker 20: Seriously, if I arrived at work and that was playing, I'm in.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do it. It was the last time we worked in office?
Speaker 20: Oh what year is it now? Probably, I don't know, two thousand and three, two three, something like that. It's not fun. I don't care that that's not playing when you're going to an office. It's not it's not like that.
Speaker 16: Amya, Hi Simon, Hi Chris, have you Rady Friday?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Thanks, Maya. What do you got for us?
Speaker 28: Yeah, I'll have a different track, but Chris, great song.
Speaker 25: I love nine to five, love the movie.
Speaker 12: It's a great running song.
Speaker 20: It is a great song. It's a great everything song. Yes it is.
Speaker 25: There's so many to choose from that.
Speaker 14: I've gone with eminem eight mile and Lose Yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, yep, ye, thank you very good. Enjoy big ten. Here we go in your soul fan.
Speaker 20: City Better who camps in this moment Bringham Mules sing them all? What shut? Mister chancer blow? What's the late time? Is counting the music?
Speaker 43: The more it.
Speaker 20: Sho mister chancer blow? What's the Late Time? Two episodes Escaping Hole That is Keeping of the Tea.
Speaker 1: Thanks Sherry, A little bit too much information, but thank you, Sherry. Troy this is this is one of my favorite moments of the week. When I have to admit slightly mad blokes, I.
Speaker 20: Look forward to hearing from Troy to my mate from Coli.
Speaker 7: Hello, Troy, Hello, I'm.
Speaker 3: On a discount line from Telster.
Speaker 1: I'm breaking in and out and.
Speaker 16: Very corry boys, I'm counting Internet. You're coming in and out all the time.
Speaker 20: Okay, all right, all right, Well maybe in one of the inns you can tell us what's on? What movie.
Speaker 27: Stories?
Speaker 1: We've entered a parallel American pie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, American Pie.
Speaker 33: And the reason I like it is because I like American pilling.
Speaker 1: What is everything?
Speaker 30: What movie?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: Troy, I'm not a movie person.
Speaker 33: I just listened to songs, right.
Speaker 20: So what we were doing today was top song.
Speaker 4: I take all day on this.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I don't. I don't do rules, Troy, Neither do I.
Speaker 4: That's great, neither of all.
Speaker 16: We're fifty nine.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 20: Listen. Is Troy's favorite song is American Pie from from No Movie.
Speaker 1: No Movie. So let's try. Let's see what Jimmy comes up with the day. Probably some pieces.
Speaker 43: I mean, John McClain has always maintained that he won't tell what the song's about.
Speaker 20: But I've got a secret theory. It's about smack.
Speaker 1: That was good. That was good Clark, did I Clark?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Hi, Chris and Bowie.
Speaker 34: The movies and you get your Gun?
Speaker 19: And my favorite song is this no Business like show Business?
Speaker 1: Right? Pretty good?
Speaker 20: It is that from that movie of the same name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thank you Clark. Yeah yeah, choose mate and thank you mate.
Speaker 20: Here we go.
Speaker 40: Nos like show Bus.
Speaker 1: There's like no business ign all.
Speaker 20: Everything about it is appealing.
Speaker 43: I'm going to be honest, I'm skeptical that that's Clark's favorite movie song because there a bunch out there.
Speaker 20: I'm skeptical that that's his all time favorite.
Speaker 1: Clark does drive a taxi and he's from Palmyra.
Speaker 20: Well maybe then maybe it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you Clark, well done. Bruce. Do you have a favorite song? From a movie, mate, It would.
Speaker 45: Be from Love the Beast, Eric Banner's movie where he restored his nineteen seventy f XB Falcon. He crashes it, and then after that they played Blue Day by My Sex and he's walking after he crashes it. He has to go to New York for a movie premiere, and he's walking through New York and it's raining. He's thinking about his car and Blue Days in the background.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good choice. What I'm Brittie.
Speaker 31: My Sex.
Speaker 20: I don't know a ton of their stuff, to be honest, we do.
Speaker 1: That's all that's important.
Speaker 4: We know it.
Speaker 43: But I feel like I should have this on my apple in my library somewhere in case I ever have a.
Speaker 20: Crash, like quickly whip it up and.
Speaker 1: Just check it on almost the insurance guph. Can you just go back to the chorus when the course signed thank you mate? I think you're a here we go sort of builds. Does it countdown?
Speaker 43: Is this the part of the song when you've got the car at the panel beaters like things are picking up now.
Speaker 1: I interviewed Eric Banner around the time this doco came out, and he was talking about how the car was the campfire so everyone came around to look at the car. I think he was. It was actually him. He was the one who got all the mates together. The car was a beside us. Yeah, by products, I really do. He's a pretty cool guy.
Speaker 45: You're saying his mates had to work on the car just to hang out with him.
Speaker 1: I think so a little bit.
Speaker 33: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I said, maybe you're the campfire and he went, oh, yeah, maybe I am. And let's take a break. We'll come back. We've got three more of Merse's Top Movie Music's picks to go as part of Merse's Magical Mystery Tour. Twenty seven and a half minutes to one o'clock.
Speaker 45: Got some debris on Quanana Freeway northbound at Beallier Drive in South Lake's mental sheeting across the right hand lane.
Speaker 1: Take it easy on approach there.
Speaker 45: Crash on Sterling Highway westbound of Brown Street in Clermont, right hand lane, block with ins and a response tow.
Speaker 1: He's on site.
Speaker 45: Apart from that though, everything looking good out there the Quanana Freeway northbound due to that sheeting. Thomas Road to Winktill Road and keep it safe. If it's raining out there. I'm Bruce Walsh on Perth's Traffic Leader six p are written by Todd Hunter.
Speaker 43: Yeah and his wife Joanna Pigott. If my memory serves me correctly.
Speaker 1: Your wife's a favorite Australian band, Dragon Mate.
Speaker 20: I speared to god. I will take so much and then I will take you out, my friend.
Speaker 1: Happy nineteenth anniversary to you to love Birds.
Speaker 20: Yes, last week, nineteen years. How good, It's amazing, How good? Best nineteen years of my life.
Speaker 1: She's a lucky girl. Eighteen minute, I'm a lucky man. Minutes at one o'clock. Hello, show you how money jerky see he's sticking up for you. Shrey just say you know. Let's go to a newsroom here at six PR. John Nichols A good afternoon.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Simon, Good afternoon.
Speaker 46: The Foreign Affairs Minister admits the decision to shut Australia's embassy in Iran will create logistical challenges. Diplomatic staff and their families have been told to leave the country as military tensions increase. Officials have been deployed to the Iran Azerbaijan border to help people who are trying to escape. Police urgently seeking information about a thirty eight year old man who's been missing since the twenty fifth of May. Darren Garwood was last seen leaving Sawyer's Valley in a white Ford Ranger ut, probably heading for the Mundaring Hills area. Police have release photos of mister Garwood. Information should go to police immediately. The state government has unveiled a fifty million dollar plan to support solar battery manufacturing in Wa. The scheme, part of the Made in Wa program, is designed to help manufacturers develop residential batteries and sell them locally and overseas. Concussion has forced champion West Coast Eagles defender Jeremy McGovern into retirement at the age of thirty three. For reigning John Worsfold Medallists has accepted the recommendation of the AFL Concussion Panel eighteen degrees at the moment rained today, increasing down to eight overnight showers and seventeen tomorrow.
Speaker 2: More news at one.
Speaker 1: Thank you, John, John. Just before we go to your top movie song for you, MRF American pis in an officer and a gentleman playing on the jukebox in the fight scene. Thank You, Dave and Maxine's his American piles in the movie's Finch and Black Widow. So yeah, we knew it was probably going to be in something.
Speaker 20: It was bound to be.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like that excerpt what's your movie song? Please? John.
Speaker 46: It was recorded in nineteen eighty five Simon by the electronic music group from Germany called Yellow and it's called oh Yeah, And it wasn't much of a hit until it was used in the nineteen eighty six film one of my favorites of all time, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, And since then it's become the theme song for Lust and Avarice. A if there's a cool car or a hot babe, hear this song. I used it in the Simpsons as well, for daff Man Here we go, Here's here's the scene from the.
Speaker 10: Nineteen sixty one Ferrari to fifty GT.
Speaker 20: California less than one hundred one.
Speaker 1: Lust and Avarice and father.
Speaker 20: Spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.
Speaker 27: This is spot he didn't.
Speaker 20: Luck the garage.
Speaker 46: And they just made a little documentary about the song as well. It's cultural impact.
Speaker 20: Really, I have yeah wow, I mean I don't mind it. I like it, But you surprised me of all the movie songs out there, that's the one you went with.
Speaker 2: Well, I always have to go with one that you're not going to go with.
Speaker 20: I definitely wasn't going with it.
Speaker 1: And it's good to talk about luss and avarice at the time of this time of the day. Thank you, Thank you, John. You'll het John during a Perth Live Today with Oliver Peterson.
Speaker 20: You might have gone with Spies like a John oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or something from give my regards to broad.
Speaker 20: Stream and now you're back with me. Now we're okay, So now we're bonding again.
Speaker 1: What's the Spies Like Us reference?
Speaker 20: It's Paul McCarty.
Speaker 43: It's a pretty horrible song like it, but it was the theme song to Spies Like Us, which had Dan Akroyd and the other fella cheap.
Speaker 1: Very funny scene in that when they were cheating in the exam and that when they were cheating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very funny, good, pretty funny movie. Thank you John, Thank you, excellent work. Nineteen minutes to one. What's your number three? Please?
Speaker 22: Chris?
Speaker 20: My number three could possibly be considered a guilty pleasure. Also, don't care.
Speaker 43: My wife used to sing this when she was a full time singer, and I thought she did an amazing job. But I just loved the song anyway. It's kind of cheesy. It's from Flash Dance, the movie, and it's what a feeling.
Speaker 1: I love it, Yeah, I love it. She really a well to let you.
Speaker 20: I don't care.
Speaker 8: Do you not care?
Speaker 1: This is good? Your good today?
Speaker 20: Make your passion, make it happen.
Speaker 43: You're gonna go and do something this att know chat can be to go down to Bunnings and get some wood created, make a gazebo or something.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 20: I'm just taking my passion making it happen.
Speaker 1: Get some wood, a lot of lust and Everest is a teen today on the show, Can I Gary?
Speaker 4: Can? I?
Speaker 44: Good Bye?
Speaker 3: Murth and Jimmy My mine's from Easy Rider.
Speaker 44: I read the song going to be what we just sums up this move is the way it starts, and I have a quick question something. This is Jack Nicholson's first movie. Thanks Soul, I have a terrific guy.
Speaker 43: But thanks carry Peter Fonder and Jack wasn't it Yeah, I'm not under percent sure if it.
Speaker 20: Was his first.
Speaker 1: No, well we could have a look, but we're too busy.
Speaker 20: Yeah, we're doing a radio show.
Speaker 1: Maybe sean Or and her last in her last task as one of our producers can find out was that it was easy writer Jack Nicholson's first film, Missus Barclay, Thank You, Thanks Gas, were.
Speaker 43: To be.
Speaker 4: Pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pause, I like the visit and.
Speaker 20: Got hit up on the Harvard.
Speaker 1: I got that wrong. But you know, easy writers not Jackels' first films. A breakthrough movie for me'd be in Yeah, a couple of other things as well. So Gaz that wasn't his. That was his breakthrough film, Gaz.
Speaker 4: But thank you, Hello Chantell, Hello Bowie, Hello Chris, how are you?
Speaker 1: Thank you? This is going to be some sort of lovey dovey thing, isn't it? From you?
Speaker 47: Maybe it is a guilty pleasure. It's probably a jen why answer, but by Dantin Adam Gucia can't get better than that. It's can't find the moon Light Leanne Ryans from the movie Kyote Ugly.
Speaker 1: All right, Chris before we play, have anything you'd like to say to a Chantel?
Speaker 20: Oh? No, hi Chantelle? How are you?
Speaker 18: Hey?
Speaker 37: Chris?
Speaker 25: I'm good?
Speaker 47: Thanks?
Speaker 42: How you doing?
Speaker 20: I'm very well? Thank you. That's not a bad choice. I think it's written by Diane Warren.
Speaker 43: Is it so she's written another big one of hers is some I don't want to miss a thing again, Roughly around the same time, probably chantell Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice, look at you two go, Here we go Chantell.
Speaker 48: Hard that you can suck the hard from that.
Speaker 43: I'd probably mentioned that I'm not a massive fan of that song, but I'll guarantee you now I'll be humming it on the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yeah, this segment's aren't real for that, we must go back and listen to that song.
Speaker 42: Yeah, I love this Lee, Hi, Simon, are you going?
Speaker 6: Chris?
Speaker 20: Good Lee?
Speaker 4: How are you good?
Speaker 42: Good show boys, I've got I've got Well. It's probably it's probably probably the best soundtrack from any movie the whole lot. But two songs in particular, one's Stuck in the Middle of You Reservoir Dogs Yes, and the other one is Little Green Bag.
Speaker 20: Yes, Yes, Yes, Lee is saying all the right things today.
Speaker 1: All right, very good choice, Little Green Bag, Here we go, Little Green.
Speaker 43: Man on the track, great song, great song, good call. I discovered this song via the movie as well, and I also discovered Stuck in the Middle with You via the movie as well. Yeah, which I'm embarrassed to say, because that's excluisitive. He's right, that is a banging soundtrack, if my memory serves me correctly. Joe text was then and then and then and then.
Speaker 20: I gotcha. We're also introduced to that song via the movie.
Speaker 1: Great soundtrack Tarantine, No good at soundtracks. Can you remember the scene not Nice, which was stuck in the middle with you, no little green bag? Can I remember that scene the police one was tied to the chair. I saw it the movies, people running out with the ear.
Speaker 43: Yeah, I thought that was stuck in the middle with you, stuck in the middle.
Speaker 1: Sorry, so I'm right.
Speaker 43: I thought that first thirty years, which is quickly say I'm right, you were right, thanks Simon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I remember people bolting out of the cinema.
Speaker 20: Were they really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There was a remember of the cinemas under the entertainment center No before my time, Yeah, they were. It was there, and people will go, I'm going I'm leaving now. Oh really, I'm going to go out of here and I'm going to get my car and drive hunt.
Speaker 20: It's funny.
Speaker 43: My mum's not a Tarantino fan for similar reasons, and we were always like it's dark humor, like it's so horrent.
Speaker 20: It's like I see the.
Speaker 1: Humor in a big cartoony Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm with you. What only Chris, look at me? You were right? I was wrong? I thought so, I thought so. Yeah, we'll come back. Two more of merv's top five movie songs after these. Chris Murphy is with us courtesy of Grant's car stereo. Thanks Grant, thanks for listening. Mate, really appreciate it. Get out there and get self a coffee, get yourself a sat NAV reserve reversing camera, have a sit down with Graham.
Speaker 20: Your stereo, the whole, the whole ducks.
Speaker 1: You'll take a photo of you.
Speaker 20: Yeah, you can take photos. Is very good, very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a big supporter of ours. What is your number two song? Please, Chris, your number two movie song?
Speaker 43: My number two is from Rocky three. This could have also been my number one, but it's not. But my number two is I have the Tiger by Survivor.
Speaker 20: Well, all my songs today what what's so funny?
Speaker 1: But they just it's far more commercial and cheesy than I thought it would be today. I thought you'd go with all these deep cut well cross the deal mate.
Speaker 20: Look, if it's the best, it's the best.
Speaker 43: I'm not gonna I'm not going to just be cool for cool sake, mate, Sometimes the best is just being cool.
Speaker 20: Okay, So the tyer, can we explain.
Speaker 1: Amazing? It's amazing.
Speaker 43: It is amazing, it's amazing and it's inspiring. So now this afternoon, you're not only going to build a gazebo. I go to the gym and little bit of a workout, have some raw eggs, smash some raw eggs.
Speaker 20: Yeah, you're welcome, You're welcome. I have just fixed your day.
Speaker 1: Boy, what's yours?
Speaker 23: I'm a bad to go and chew into a raw onion. Might even like Tony Abbott because that's just inspired me to do that. Maybe shirt front somebody in the corridors, let's go.
Speaker 20: It's better than I guess what's Scott Morrison? Is that Scott Morison? Who's the one that went to the McDonald's. Oh yeah, yes, who's ever been inspired to do? Find me a mac is?
Speaker 23: I've got something on my mind telling I was looking for one on Wednesday night? Yeah, after Origin yeah macas.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. It was a nice nice evening it was, and the shared and a pair of tee folliver to what did what's your other movie? So you don't have to have one?
Speaker 20: A movie song?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 22: Party in the USA.
Speaker 1: What's the movie pitch Perfect? Yeah?
Speaker 20: One of the greatest films of all til I'm not judging at all.
Speaker 43: I've had quite a few guilty pleasures today and pitch Perfect. If it's cool, you're absolutely right and rebels great.
Speaker 20: In those She's good, She's Anna Kendrick Hall pass really? Amy Peterson accepts?
Speaker 1: Are you talking in abbreviation? What's happened? Cooking bullet points?
Speaker 20: I'm just saving a voice.
Speaker 1: For one o'clock.
Speaker 30: Here we go.
Speaker 20: I jumped in the hell here I am for the first time.
Speaker 40: Let's till I right.
Speaker 38: The outside.
Speaker 20: Hits well, doesn't it hits as well as by the tiger. I'm inspired owt to go in a raw onion.
Speaker 1: What do you have for us this afternight?
Speaker 23: Afternoon, we're going to get into that very controversial approval of those twin towers in Codderslow. We flagged, Yes, I have a chat to the deputy mirror at Coddterslow. Harp tested Nick Alvianni, King of TV Streaming, Andrew Williams and Gareth Parker's on your radio as years every point.
Speaker 1: Thank you Wali gentlemen, very very good week. Did they shame Hoday?
Speaker 6: The movie is a new one, a complete unknown. The setting is Newport Folk Festival and I think a twenty four year old Bob Dylan came out and played a song which is possibly one of the best he ever written for the first time and he played it electrically to the booze of the crowd. And the song is like a rolling stone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks Shane, good nice song, good work. Here we go. Jeff and Terry have been hanging on forever. Jeff is a Bruce Springsteen's secret gardener, Jeremy Maguire and Terry's golden Brown. And by the strangers and boys, we have been modless. The stranglers, I do apologize, have been flat strap here because Chris has been messing around and not concentrating.
Speaker 20: It is completely not true.
Speaker 1: We've just read out of time. But thanks lad, thanks for listening, and sorry we won't get to you. What's your number one? Please?
Speaker 20: Chris?
Speaker 43: My number one is from Breakfast to Tiffany's yep, so a bet you didn't see that coming. It's Audrey hepburn. Actually, my favorite version of this song is by my wife, Yes, but we don't have a recorded version to play, so I like the one from Breakfast to Tiffani Is. This song is one of the best of all time and I love it and that's all there is to it. Let's have a quick listen.
Speaker 11: To Drifts.
Speaker 1: To see the world.
Speaker 20: There's such a lot of word to see.
Speaker 12: Where are.
Speaker 23: The same.
Speaker 48: Reas and.
Speaker 20: Waiting round the band.
Speaker 48: Mackle, very friend, river, beautiful, very beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 20: Yeah, possibly one of the five songs ever conceived. I love it and you want to hear my wife sing it. Unbelievable makes me cry. Yeah, yeah, that I admit to that on Bradie or anything. I'm luckily we're just having it.
Speaker 1: Hang on a second when that light's blue' oh oh, we'll come back in just a moment. Thanks to Grant's Carstarry Grant, thanks for having us, mate. I don't know if you have been listening to day Grant, but he is in career best form. Four minutes to one o'clock Call the Day, Sam from Morley. You rang about Sea four. See Sam, You're going to see the Terracotta Warriors with one of your best friends, mates or loved ones June twenty eighth to February next year at Bullerbard It but yeah nah, finally we'll get you do that in a minute, Chris. But if you want to go to see Chris and Brothers VH it be playing with VHS Pirates. It's a lyrics underground in Mount Rly next Thursday.
Speaker 43: Ostiks yep oztcks dot Lyrics to get a ticket to come see vh Aspiral.
Speaker 20: We do movie songs.
Speaker 1: Here you go. Awesome mate, well done the year, Na, do you use containers for change?
Speaker 20: Yeah? Yeah is one hundred and thirty one people and nar is twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm one of the years mate. Yeah, No, I'm a NA, but I'm going to change. Thank you mate,