Speaker 1: Onto GV. This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 2: Thursday, June five. It is Clinton Maynard. He won three one eight seven three Right now in the city seventeen degrees. It actually feels like thirteen point seven. But a little earlier. I was walking across Pimont Bridge about eight thirty this morning, my way to work cross Darling Harbor, and I had to look at the phone because it felt pretty chilly. The feels like temperature was zero point two degrees. Yes, it was zero degrees. It was freezing, but mind you, it is winter. It's the first week of winter. It feels like it's a bit early for zero temperatures. The average top temperature in Sydney for June is actually seventeen degrees, so today and this week is nothing out of the ordinary. Coming up on the program, we'll give you an insight into what's going to happen in the seat of Bradfield. Will there be a legal challenge now the teal Nicolette Buller has won. I've been talking to my contacts within the Liberal Party. They are certainly looking at their options today. They need grounds, They need grounds to take to the Court of Disputed Returns before there's even a hearing, so I assure you they're looking at it hard. We're going to talk about legalities today. David Elliott is our Thursday Straight Shoot. He'll have some choice words about veteran liberal Alan Stockdale. Mark Geyer is back. He's over the flu, so MG is back in action. Craig Bellamy has signed on as the Melbourne Storm coach for another year. It'll be his twenty fourth year in the job. We might talk about how long you can spend in the one job now. Certainly if you're running the Melbourne Storm, you'd want Craig Bellamy to stay on as the coach. And I do have some family passes to give away to Taronga Zoo. Today is Taronga Giving Day to raise funds for Taronga's Wildlife Hospital. So in recognition of their great fundraising efforts and not give the details about HAG can help out. I have double passes to give away a little later in the program. I'm going to play some mystery animal sounds a little later. You are my eyes and ears when it's happening in Sydney now, so if you see something we need to know about, set me a text message zero force zero eight seven three, eight seven three our number one three one eight seven three. Well in Sydney. Now the trams are not running to the eastern suburbs at the moment. Trams are still blocked between Circular Key and Moore Park following the tragic death of a man in Devonshire Seat Street, Surrey Hills a little earlier this soufter and I want to go straight to Howard Colin's and Transport from New South Wales for the latest. Obviously we're dealing with an awful situation in Devonshire Street. What can you tell us Howard.
Speaker 3: Yes, obviously the operator trans Dev advised us at coult a past one this morning this terrible incident and we certainly reach out and offer our condonances. But also the customers involved, the people who obviously witnessed the incident, and there is an officer needs for the supporting them as well. And then also shout out to the emergency services and even our Sydney Train team who came to the rescue pretty quickly, but unfortunately someone started. Look, this is a police investigation. The police are doing a very thorough job, as you would imagine. We are hoping clinton to get the trams between Central and Circular Key operating about three point thirty this afternoon.
Speaker 4: We're asking people to use.
Speaker 3: The alternative background buses, the schedule buses, because at this time of the day it is very difficult to risk up additional buses. It will take longer, but you can imagine this is important. The investigation via the operating company and the police is the thorough and then once the police clear site, we will then start to operate services again.
Speaker 2: So the expectation would be you mentioned three point thirty, so that would just be the trams between Circular Key and Central. They wouldn't continue on to More Park than beyond.
Speaker 3: And you know, quite often it is important the police do do their analysis and forensic review and we've got to leave them to do that. Often people ask me, well how long is this going to take? It is important it's done thoroughly, so we are certainly believing that the afternoon peak will be impacted this. We're working with the police and as soon as we get information that they're clear and they've satisfied they've gathered all the evidence, then we will start to recommission the service.
Speaker 5: End to end the.
Speaker 3: Moment, More Park South is okay, but the bit between more Park and Central is closed. Use alternative bus routes and then we hope about three point thirty today will run a shuttle service between Circular Key and Central Station which will get you up through town Hall when you're at Bridge Street.
Speaker 2: Howard, I realized it's very early in the investigation and you also dealt with a similar incident within two years ago when a teenage girl I think she was trying to move between two of the carriages and she was struck on George Street. At this early stage, is there is there any idea about how this happened?
Speaker 3: Clinton, You know, it's too early to say. The operator has obviously ers and much evidence and information plus eyewitnesses. The police will go through that whether they're similar or not is pure speculation at this stage. We're just making sure that everyone is kept safe. Obviously the police will through and also the our regulator who's on site. They will make their findings and obviously of the operator and US as Transport for New South Wales will obviously understand what that means.
Speaker 2: We'll keep in touch. Thank you, Howard, Thank you very much. Howard Colin's from Transport for New South Wales. So probably in around fifteen to twenty minutes time, the trends should be operating between Central and Circular Key, but they won't be going from Central down towards More Park probably for the peak out. Given how far of this investigation needs to be do you want to.
Speaker 6: Know what's happening in Sydney stay tuned to Sydney Out with Clinton Lane long.
Speaker 1: To GV twelve.
Speaker 2: Past three police have made several arrests and now laid charges as well for the first week of the operation Task Force Falcon now Task Force Falcon was announced to just about a fortnight ago. So cracking down all the violent crime, the organized crime that we're witnessing across Sydney at the moment. Authorities have now sees ten cars in the past week. Also they've alleged these cars and they have made arrest of some very young people here. But they had alleged these cars could have been used in serious organized crime. For more on this, Detective Superintendent Jason Box, who is the commander of Task Force Falcon joins me, thank you for your time. Thank you some important rest you've ever made today and I know one of the arrests you made is of agent only fourteen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's correct. Task Force Falcon operatives for about conducting taskings around the Lincoln area last night about eleven thirty pm and they saw a stolen vehicle. They went to pull it over. The two occupants fled, one being a fourteen year old male and the second one of being a fifteen year old male who was just arrested in the last hour that ridden that car, and also in that car was Jerry Canes. There was another vehicle driven by a seven een and nineen year old that was in convoy with that vehicle. All being charged for being in a joint currental enterprise with that stolen mate of vehicle and also for being accessory before the fact that damaged property by fire.
Speaker 2: Task for as Facon and I understand you bringing together about a dozen different strike forces that are investigating the most serious of crimes. What you believe the gang land shootings, these arrests, and the people that you have charged. Are these people at the bottom end of the food chain, You might.
Speaker 7: Say, no, not necessarily, they're facilitating these serious crimes. This vehicle will alleged was going to be used for a serious crime somewhere in the Sydney area. It was either going to be staged for people to use in these serious crimes or used as means to get away after commit the serious crimes. And a number of other people will charge yesterday for possessing style of firearms and are property out at austral and we're alleging that they were being retained and stored at that location for that same use. And last week we also arrested a juvenile for being in possession of a stolen motor vehicle at a semi automatic weapon in that and a pistol and Jerry Kens and face covering. So in terms of they're being complicit to major offenses, I wouldn't say they're at the bottom there. They're assisting these people can commit these crimes and they're just as complicit as the people that carry out the offenses.
Speaker 2: Because Jason Nothen, when we report on this and you tell us about what's occurred, we see gang land hits and then a few suburbs away there's a car that's set a light burnt out. So it may well have been that the cars that you've seized and those you've arrested involved in that process.
Speaker 7: Actually to be used for the offense for the shooting or attempted murder, or to be used to flee the scene, or you know, in a chain of vehicles that will be used. You know, it's not uncommon they have multiple vehicles that will be used to flee these you know, these offenses.
Speaker 2: Is the interpretation Jason, that these very serious criminal gangs that are conducting these hits are recruiting teenagers.
Speaker 7: Well, we believe that that is happening. We believe that, you know, through social media, through encrypto devices, through word of mouth, they are in fact recruiting young offenders. And we've proven that. We just chawed someone last week for that for an offense, for having a semi automatic firearm like a rifle in the vehicle and a pistol, and you know, and you look at the you know, the reasoning behind that is that it's probably cheaper to recruit these people. There's less chance of ever connecting them back to the people who are going to commit the offenses, and you know it, you know, and if they are caught, you know, they probably believe that the punishment will be less. It's quite that's attractive problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite frightening. Congratulations, on the work so far.
Speaker 7: Not a problem, thanks very much.
Speaker 2: Detective Inspector Jason Box, who is the commander of Task Force Falcon. Critical work they're now doing, and this is the early stage of this task force, but we are seeing it's all about drugs. It's about turf the game war that's broken out that has claimed some innocent lives. Now, I think about that twenty three year old who was show dead arriving home from work late at night. He was a plumber in his driveway Condale Park a couple of weeks ago. And then there was a burnout car found a few suburbs away. Well, what police are alleging is it's these kids who are recruited to go and steal the car in the first place. It is quite terrifying. We'll have a look at the future of superannuation. Some significant developments in Canberra to day in a moment, if you'd like to have your say one three one eight seven three. This is Sydney now. It's seventeen degrees in the city, seventeen degrees in Campbelltown. It is a wild afternoon in mcquarie Street at State Parliament. In about ten minutes we expect a vote in the Upper House on the future of the new South Wales government's workers' compensation legislation. I'll bring you the details of some of that shortly. But there's also been a massive blow up about sexism in the Lower House and i'll bring that to you in just to tick one three one eight seven three. Butt's want to cross to Canberra and what's going on in federal politics to mom about the future of superannuation. This has been such a big issue on this station in the past couple of weeks, the changes that have been proposed by Jim Charmers and the newly elected government that would increase superannuation for some Australians. Michael Packey has all the way to Kiday, Michael good A Clinton. There has been a resolution of sorts in the coalition will oppose these changes.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Look, the Shadow Treasurer Ted O'Brien, he had flagged a potential compromise with Labor a few days ago. He got slapped down and in today's cabinet meeting, which was the first shadow Cabinet meeting since the Liberals and the Nationals agreed to keep the coalition intact, they've formally decided that they will not support Labour's superannuation policy that the tax would double on super earnings above three million dollars.
Speaker 2: Which is and that's what you would expect. You would expect that. But the suggestion was perhaps and Ted O'Brien are giving this indication that the be some negotiation between the government coalition, So there'll be no negotiation'll just to pose it.
Speaker 9: They will just suppose that. And that's because especially the Nationals, they were demanding that the coalition oppose this policy because one of the biggest problems that they have with it is but not only is this policy not index, the other thing is that it would tax unrealized gains on assets that are held in super funds and those assets could be shares or a property like a farm, and there are plenty of farmers with self managed super funds that would be especially worried as a result of this tax. Now probably still coming into play because Labor will no doubt get the support of the Greens to get it over the line.
Speaker 2: But the Greens actually want to make some changes to this.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: They similar to the Liberal Party. They believe that it should be index, so it should be linked to inflation and the unrealized gains aspect of all of this, they're not quite comfortable with it. The other change that the Greens want to make as part of their negotiations with labor is, for instance, at the moment the tax hit superbalances above three million, the Greens believe that should be lowered to two million. So potentially more people could be targeted if it goes from three down to two million.
Speaker 2: We will follow that. Thank you, Michael, No problem, how federal political Leedit to Michael Packy until six.
Speaker 6: This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one to three one.
Speaker 2: Twenty four past three. There is more controversy about Meghan Marken. There's a video now doing the rounds of her dancing when she was heavily pregnant. We'll talk to Peter Ford shortly about that. Reese on the text line talking about how cold it's been the last couple of days, says, I've just done the trip down to the snowy hydro Scheme yesterday and today this morning the feels like temperature was minus ten minus four this morning when I woke up in Cuba. Thank you, Reese. So yeah, when we're winging about her feels like temperature of half a degree. We shouldn't be complaining now in Macquarie Street. There are dramas unfolding, firstly in the Upper House with the changes to workers compensation, and that's potentially going to go to a vote about five minutes time, and I'll bring in some of the details of that soon. But in question time today, the Police Minister Yasmin Catley has called the Opposition leader mar Speakman a sexist man. This relates to comments that Mark Speakman has made in a press conference. Now, mister Speakman has described the Police Minister Yasmin Cattley as being out of her depth and then said she gave hysterical answers in Parliament. Well, this is Yasmin Cattley's response.
Speaker 10: Yesterday the leader of the Opposition got up after question time and called me hysterical, not once, but twice.
Speaker 11: Mister Speaker, if a man.
Speaker 10: Came in here with a strong view about you deliberately bagging the cops and trying to confuse the public about who is responsible for cracking down on a list of tobacco, would you have used that language.
Speaker 11: Sterical? No, it's a sexist word used by a.
Speaker 2: Sex the ladies that I work with here in the office, and they tell me as females. If somebody calls them hysterical, it's one of the most offensive things, one of the most offensive pieces of language that can be used. So Mark Speakman now labeled sexist. We have a response now from Mark Speakman via our friends at the SMA, he says in regards to Yasmin Catley now accusing him of being sexist, because Yasmin Cattley says, Mark Speakman called her hysterical. Mister Speakman said, I said the minister's response was hysterical, and that's about tone, not gender. When serious questions regularly met with yelling and finger pointing instead of an answer, the public deserves to call those responses for what they are, over the top. Des Hasler could be in a little bit of trouble. The NRL has issued the Gold Coast Titans coach with a final warning for direct and targeted criticism of NRL match referees. The warning relates to comments that Desi made after the last match the Titans play in Round thirteen. Now you recall just a couple of weeks ago, Adam O'Brien, the Newcastle Knights Coat. He caught the same warning from the NRL. So at this point des Hasler has not been fine, but he's been told you are in your last warning. Pangarterid in Josh Bryant.
Speaker 12: Good afternoon, Clinton. A third teenager has now been arrested after a stolen car was seized by police who are investigating gangland violence across Sydney. The vehicle at Lincoln is the tenth car that's been seized so far by Task Force Falcon investigators. A man has died after being hit by a light rail in Sydney CBD Emergency Services arrived at the scene at Surrey Hills to find the man in his forties under the carriage and he couldn't be saved. A report into blackouts in the States Far West caused by a storm last year has made twenty recommendations on how to close gaps in energy and mobile phone reliability. In New South Wales and National Parks and Wildlife Service workers have spent World Environment Day on Botany Bay completing training on how to get Wales free from netting. In Sport, the manager of Finland's women's football team has been left red faced after accidentally naming a fifty one year old former player in for a match with Serbia. A twenty three year old defender who is supposed to be selected shares a surname with the former player who was included. We'll have Morenius and sported for.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Josh. Seventeen degrees in the city, sixteen degrees in Penrith. At the moment, it looks like the Tasmanians will be going to an election, and effectively what they'll be going to an election over is a Tasmanian AFL team. There is no confidence motion being considered by the Tasmanian Parliament against the Liberal Premier, Jeremy Rockcliffe, and that's going to transpire in the next couple of hours or so. A vote of no confidence. It's likely to be successful and that will mean that there'll be an election, and the Premier has indicated that today. But what's the core of this? That much of it is about funding of infrastructure in Hobart and the fact that like most state governments, Tasmanian governments virtually broke, they don't have enough money. But at the core of this is the new stadium in Hobart, the stadium for the Hobart or the Tasmanian Devils as they're going to be called, and it very much puts the AFL team at risk because if the stadium isn't built, the AFL won't allow the team to actually start, and so that's a massive deal for Tasmanians. But funny that an enticed election could be fought out over an AFL team.
Speaker 6: Basically until six, This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one three one A seven.
Speaker 2: Three twenty seven to four. Meghan Markle is making headlines, or rather her videos are sweeping the world once again. Peter Ford, what did you make of the video of her dancing while pregnant.
Speaker 13: Look, I didn't have a problem with her doing it or Prince Harry joining in. I'm just curious as to why she fell the need to make it public.
Speaker 8: So this stems back.
Speaker 13: Four years ago and Lily Bett was due to arrive and she was overdue, so they were just letting off steam and messing about and they did this sort of dance routine together in front of an iPhone, I imagine, and never saw the light of day. And of course we know Lily Bett arrived safely and she's now four years old. So last night Meghan went to her social media put up some never before seen photographs of her and Lily bet together, one of the photographs of Lily actually showing quite a lot of her face.
Speaker 8: It's kind of odd.
Speaker 13: When you think about it, that Harry is always going on about don't let your kids near social media, and they're putting their own kids on social media so often now. But then a few hours after those photographs, she put up this video, which again was meant to be in honor of Lily Bette's birthday. But if you look at it, to me personally, I think it's unbecoming of a member of the royal family to be putting that type of thing up. She's dancing in there, and some people are describing it as being provocative or that she's twerking. She's obviously nine months pregnant, and I think she's having fun. Good luck to her, But I just question her judgment as to why she wants to make that public. And sometimes I think she's her own worst enemy. I mean, sometimes I think people attack her unfairly. But when you put something up like that up, you know it's not going to be unanimous praise. Well, maybe that, maybe she doesn't know. Maybe she does and take advice and doesn't listen, and she thinks the world's going to love her.
Speaker 2: Do you think she still considers herself I mean this was four years ago, but does she consider herself a member of the royal family.
Speaker 13: Well, I don't think she could consider herself an active member of it, but she certainly wants all the perks and the titles, There's no question about that, and she wants to be treated in a kind of regal way. Now, some people will say, you know that the video was delightful. It shows them to be human and having fun. But you know, I just think she wants to have her cake and eat it too.
Speaker 2: You couldn't imagine Queen Elizabeth back in the day dancing around like that, But I don't think working had been invented.
Speaker 13: Well, I must say I did think when I saw it, I thought what would the late Queen Elizabeth and Prince to make of this? I think they would be pretty appalled by it.
Speaker 2: It seems Nicole Kidman enjoys massages in Paddington, Yes.
Speaker 13: But noss have you heard of this place? It must be very top shelf.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard of it, and I haven't been there.
Speaker 13: It's in Oxford, straight and I had a look at their website and it looks great. I mean, it's clearly you're paying top dollar and you get great service in return. And she was asked by The New York Times about her favorite things, and she lists to a whole bunch of things which are completely accessible for next to nothing or completely free, including Harry's Cafe de Wheels, the Royal Botanic Gardens, the Art Gallery, and.
Speaker 9: Also the Harbor Pools.
Speaker 13: The only one that sort of jumped out at people for being top end is the Venustas day spar And she recommends the six hand massage, which will set you back one thousand and fifty nine dollars. Now she's got that money, obviously, now she's coping blowback for that. Look, if you can afford it, it's great. You know most of us can't or wouldn't fork at that kind of money for a massage. To her, it's obviously irrelevant. It's it'll be great for their business because these recommendations are appearing in the New York Times, So anybody from overseas who's looking to come to Sydney. I have no doubt we'll think, Gee, I'm better take know to those places.
Speaker 2: What's a six hand massage? Do you think?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 13: It's three people, Oh right, so it has two hands, so the three people conduct the sixth hand massuch. So I'm sure it's a wonderful, blissful experience which you and I will probably never really fully comprehend.
Speaker 2: That's what it costs one and fifty nine dollars. I might you see there next week? Thanks Pete, see Peter Ford.
Speaker 6: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton on.
Speaker 2: To GB The no confidence motion for the Tasmanian Premiere is now before the Tasmanian Parliament. There is a tie. It is seventeen a piece, so that's all playing out right now. The reality is that this will probably end up going to an election now in Mcquarie Street. The issue of workers' compensation right now is before the Upper House and what's probably going to happen. You can never predict what our MP's going to do in Mcquarie Street's probably going to end up in an inquiry, which means the whole process will be delayed and there will be no change to workers compensation in the way the scheme operates before the budgets handed down in a couple of weeks. So what the government is suggesting is that that's going to push up the premiums immediately beyond just an eight percent increase and overall if these changes aren't made, the government says, the scheme that loses five million dollars a day, premiums for small businesses rise over three years by more than thirty percent. The Coalition claims the whole process is being rushed. Members of the labor back bench aren't happy either, because the unions are campaigning against it very heavily, and so various Labor MPs in the backbench they're unnamed at this point, have made their thoughts known to the premiere. And what happened is they were going to write a letter and this was published in the papers this morning, and then sign it. But apparently the premier's staff told them, no, no, don't sign the letter. Don't sign the letter. Anyway, it's before the Upper House of the moment, but it has dominated question time in the lower House a little earlier. And I want to play you this because I said I think it says a lot about the way politics operates in our state. This is a really serious issue, both for the injured workers but also the businesses who are facing potentially massive hikes in premiums if these changes aren't made. This is how our politicians are treating it. Mark Speakman asking the Premier a question.
Speaker 12: Who were the at least a dozen labor MPs who wanted to sign a letter to you to defer workers compensation legislation?
Speaker 8: Thank you, thank you, Premier.
Speaker 2: Man beze Man bez will come to order. So that's the speaker trying to calm the crowd down. We'll yelling at each other.
Speaker 5: Hambo Castle mamber Vale, Castle Hill.
Speaker 2: You're on the first call for the day.
Speaker 14: I think it might be the first for your career.
Speaker 2: You'll come to order, and it goes on and it goes on.
Speaker 1: The Premier has been asked the question.
Speaker 6: He will be given the opportunity to answer it.
Speaker 3: In silence, mister Speaker, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, we'll leave it there. So I just wanted to demonstrate there was I timed it thirty eight seconds of the politicians carrying on light there in kindergarten. These are the men and women who are trying to decide with the workers compensation scheme which loses five million dollars every single day, is going to be changed. So small businesses meeting business, big business as well don't have their premium skyrocket, and of course those costs are going to be passed on to us. And then there is the issue of the workers who may be injured at working legitimately need some help. So it's a really important issue. It's now before the Upper House and that's the way our politicians carry on. There were dramas a little early this afternoon on the T three, the T three train lines, the T two train line as well throughout the southwest as Sydney. There was a drama, an incident at Cabramattat that has now cleared, so the trains and the T two and the T three are now operating. Okay. Straight to the Tasmanian Parliament. That's no confidence motion against the Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockcliffe has been successful. It was locked at seventeen all the speed has had the final vote and she has voted against the Liberal Party. So the Premier is speaking right now. And so what this will mean there'll be an election. There was last a Tasmania election not long ago. It was only March of last year, March of twenty twenty four. But given a no confidence this motion has passed against the premier, he basically has to go to the state's governor and say we've got to call an election. So they'll be an election, and it looks like that's going to be fought out over AFL.
Speaker 6: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton.
Speaker 2: On to GB I've got tickets to give away to Taronga Zoo. Keep listening. I'm going to give a double pass away, a family double pass, a family pass away this hour. Do you drive along Henry Lawson Drive at Padstow Heights or specifically Alford's Point Road, River Road Reesby because I received this message from James. James says I wanted to bring up an issue regarding Henry Lawson Drive Padstow Heights. There are a number of large heavy vehicles trucks parked alongside the road where they're serviced and they're washed, looks like they've been abandoned. On top of that, seem to be dumping rubbish there. There are currently about four piles in that section. I've co tacked the local council. Nothing's being done. Well, I've been sent some of the photos and we're not talking bags of rubbish being dumped. Looking at the photos, lots of tires, old tires. There is a piano or maybe it's an organ that's been dumped and a lot of other rubbish one three one eight seven three. If you're from that area, have you seen the rubbish that's dumped along Henry Lawson Drive. Now we contacted the Canterbury Banks Down Council about this. They say Henry Lawson Drive is a state owned road and the responsibility falls on the RMS. Having said that if councilor is made aware of dump rubbish, steps are taken to ensure it's removed. Recently a Councilor report outline some of the measures being undertaken to prevent illegal dumping. Transport for New South Wales who's sort of response from them? They say dumping is a serious offense. Transport for New South Wales has identified where this is locating. We're working with the appropriate contractor to remove the offending material. If people witness a legal dumping. You can make a report. Okay, let's talk to James. James, tell me what happened? What did you see?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 15: Clinton, Thanks for having me on look. I contacted to raise you about this ongoing issue at Henry Lawson Drive at Padstow Heights, especially between that section of row that you're talking about. What started to be one or two trucks about four years ago has now become a makeshift truck debot with about thirty heavy vehicles and trailers regularly parked there. And I noticed them being washed and serviced on the road side, which is causing what I think would be possible serious environmental concerns. It's also a safety issue.
Speaker 8: It's on a.
Speaker 15: Blind corner, so when the trucks are pulling out of there, there's been a lot of near misses that I've witnessed and I'm sure other people have witnessed as well. This spot is on the Georgia's River catchment. It's right alongside Little Salt Penn Creek and the Georgias River National Park, and it supports a vital aquatic mangrove v system and they run off from these oils into two agency waste You know it threatens these areas which are critical for the quality of the water in our local wildlife. And to make it worse, it's just being used as a dumping ground. This has been happening for years. The locals are fully aware of it.
Speaker 2: So I guess you got two issues here, James. You have the fact that the trucks are parked there so using as you point out, as a depot. But it's the rubbish that's been left behind, which I'm assuming some of it's coming from these trucks.
Speaker 15: I'm not blaming these truck drivers. They've got to park their trucks somewhere, but I believe it's not the appropriate location to park them. But there's trades people and that are just been reversing their dump trucks. They're their little tippers and their trailers and then just chucking the stuff out and doing the run up.
Speaker 2: I wonder whether maybe it's and we're just speculating here, whether some people are dumping all this garbage. And as I mentioned that, we're not talking just bags of rubbish. There a piano and one of the photos have been sent because those trucks are parked there. Whether they think they can hide the rubbish effectively behind those trucks hundred percent.
Speaker 15: Yes, it seems to be more behind the trucks than out in the open. But there's a little park that no one uses unfortunately. It's a beautiful little spot where the ROMs does truck inspections and that's a regular dumping spot too.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks for letting us know about that. I'm going to put you in the running for our Word on the Street. We want to actually get this rectified, obviously by the local Council of Transport for New South Wales. Good on you, James, Thank you. Yeah, if you see something around Sidney that we should know about, that's what Word on the Street is all about. Word on the Street for Temper, a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper and James is going on the running to win our Temper cooling pillows tomorrow. So if you see something like this, let us know, but be intrigued to know whether you've actually passed this spot Henry Lawson Drive. Look, it's such a busy part of Sydney and Padstow where there's just this piano actually looks like it's been sitting there by the side of the road for about a year. I don't know how long it's been there for. So transport in New South Wales that they say we take this issue seriously dumping. If you witness a legal dumping, you can make a report through rid rid online line which is RID online, dot EPA, dot n SW, dot gov, dot AU. And the council is saying, look, it's a state owned road, so effectively it's the responsibility of Transport for New South Wales. But if you see similar things around Sydney, let me know about it. One three one eight seven three is our number.
Speaker 6: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on.
Speaker 2: To gb Taronga Zoo is running a special fundraising campaign today. It's called Taronga Giving Day. They are rising funds raising funds for the Wildlife Hospital at the zoo. They care for hundreds of injured and orphant animals every month. Often if you see and I know whyres has this relationship. If they see an injured animal by the side of the road, they take them to Wronga for help. But the zoo is trying to raise some money to the hospital hasn't had any renovations in decades. So they're trying to raise some money. If you want to give to Taronga, there's a website give dot Taronga dot org dot au and of course all donations over two dollors at tax to duct. Now, every contribution that's made today is quad rippled by the zoo's very kind partners. So it will help raise money to keep this hospital in operation and to upgrade the hospital. But in recognition of the fundraising campaign today, I've got a couple of double passes, a couple of family passes to give away. In fact, I'll give away one now, but I'm not gonna make it easy. You've got to guess what this particular animal is, okay, one three one eight seven three? What animal zoo? Animal is this? I was gonna say whale. But you don't find a way on Tarronga Zoo, do you. I'll have you in the harbor. Okay? What's that sound? One three one eight seven three. And our winner will get a family pass to gother to Wrongazoo. I'll give you a chance to win a family pass to Wrong Park Zoo in just a moment. This is breaking news from the NRL. This is actually a really big deal. The NRL has announced they are moving to suspend two leading player agents. Now agents have been in the news recently about the amount of control they have in the game. The NRL has issued what they call show caused notices to two of the agents for alleged breaches of the accreditation scheme. Now. The agents are Mario Tartak and Matthew de Zeira. Now it's alleged that mister Tartak communicated with an underage player without a parent or illegal guardian being present. He's also alleged to it entered a commercial agreement with two NRL clubs in breach of the scheme's rules. It is proposed to be suspended for twelve months and be fined twenty five thousand dollars. Mister Dazeira is accused of non reporting and dishonesty. Following police charges and court proceedings, it's proposed a six month suspension and a ten thousand dollars fine. Now he represents the likes of Jaden Campbell from the Titans, Greg Marzu, Williamy, Kickout from the Bulldogs and even Benji Marshall, the West Tiger's coach. Mario Tartak, Damian Cook and this is interesting Dominic Young now where this is important. Dominic Young at the moment places the roosters. He has been linked to a move right now to Newcastle. So it'll be mister Tartak who is negotiating that move. Well, that could be in jeopardy because of this.
Speaker 6: If it matters to you, you'll hear it here Sydney now with Clinton Maynard until six.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's this animal? Well, Dave reckons, that sounds like one of the parliamentary backbenches in McCrory Street. No it's not, it's not. Oh Andrews says, that's Maria Sharaprova. I know that grunt from No, that's what Michael's doing on his program. We're not doing tennis grunters. We're doing animals at Taronga Zoo. Hello Shelley, Hello Shelley, how are you doing? My friend? Do you know what? Do you know what that animal is?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's a hysterical seal.
Speaker 2: Is an hysterical seal. It's the Yasmin Catley of the tah Yeah, of course you can on this show. We're going to send you out a family pass to go to Taronga. It is Taronga's Giving Day, the rise raising funds for the Wildlife Hospital, which helps kept hundreds of injured norphan animals every year. If you'd like to donate, give Taronga dot org dot au. Donations over two dollars a tax deductible. Every contribution today will be calld rippled by the zoo's partner. So congratulations, Shelley. You can take the family to Wronga Zoo. I do have another pass to give away and we'll give that away in the next hour of the program. One three, one eight seven three. Just on illegal rubbish dumping. Do you come across it much in Sydney, lou.
Speaker 16: Ah, Yeah, we do this. There's quite a bit of it, Quentin. I'm a local there and I've been there for twenty five years and it's just gut wrenching seeing what's happening.
Speaker 2: So in padsdo henry laws and drive that's correct. Yeah, what have you seen there? What have you seen? Dumped?
Speaker 8: Many things?
Speaker 16: So I do recall that piano that was there and that's been picked up at the moment. Good at the moment, there's four lots of rubbish being dumped, four lots of piles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's for the peace people that dump it.
Speaker 8: Lou.
Speaker 2: It's insulting to the rest of us because sure there is a cost with disposing of waste. You don't take it down to Lucas Heights, a wherever you're dump rubbish. But honestly it's insulting for the rest of us who then have to put up with it. It's quite frankly wrong. The Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockcliffe is still on his feet in the Tasmanian Parliament. He is now likely to get to an election and no confidence motion against him has been successful. And it's all about the AFL.
Speaker 1: This is Sydney now with Clinton on to GenB.
Speaker 2: It is a very busy US afternoon across Sydney this afternoon. The light rail network is still disrupted after Sadly, there was a fatality in Surrey Hills this afternoon in Devonshire Street, a man age believed in his forties has been struck by a tram. Police crime scene investigates they're on the scene, which means the trams cannot run through Surrey Hills at the moment. Now it is hope the trams will run a shuttle service shortly between Circular Key and Central, but the trams won't be operating from Central through to moor Park for quite some time. There is tram service between Moore Park and then Kingsford and Randwick, so it's quite limited there. At the moment this investigation will take several hours. The police are actually speaking about it right now in the city. It is hoped those trams can run through the CBD itself soon, but at the moment they've had to bring in some replacement buses. One three, one eight seven three is our number. If you see something around Sydney that we need to know about SEMIA, text message zero four six zero eight three eight seven three. It looks like Tasmania is off to an election. The Premier in Tasmania, Jeremy Rockcliff, who is a Liberal Premier, has failed to win support in Parliament to effectively remain in the job. There's been a no confidence motion against him. Now the vote was locked at seventeen all The Speaker then had a casting vote, and the Speaker is a member of the Labour Party and she has voted against the premier, so eighteen seventeen that means that an election is all but likely. Now Jeremy Rockcliffe has been quite emotionally parliament.
Speaker 17: In my personal opinion, this is a very sad day for Tasmania.
Speaker 2: It's a sad day as well because I put a lot on line, on a lot on the line for this parliament.
Speaker 17: It wasn't easy to get a thirty five seed parliament. And yes, not everything's gone to plan, namely.
Speaker 3: A parliament in the State of Australia where everything goes to plan.
Speaker 2: Now, what this is all about is financial issues the Tasmanian government is facing. They're spending on infrastructure, various infrastructure programs. What is critical here though, is the plan for a new stadium in Hoba, which is partially funded by the federal government. And this is where it is attracting a lot of attention because Tasmania will have a new AFL team. Well, I say will. The plan was for Tasmania to have the Devils in the AFL. If the stadium is not built, the AFL won't proceed with that new team won't happen. And they've already been hiring people for this team as there's a board, there's management of this team as well. So this election may will be fought out on whether Tasmanians have their own team in the Australian Football League until six.
Speaker 6: This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now.
Speaker 2: One three, one A seven three Dramas on the roads. At nine past four, Gary is on the Northern Beaches. What have you seen? Gary?
Speaker 18: Okay, just your listeners heading north on Pittwater Road on the corner of Tamena Street and Pittwater Road. Please have the Kelearway lane closed. This two car accident. A white van has punted a small blade vehicle into a telegraph pole and their total way. But I don't think there's anything too serious. But the traffic now starting to bank back because you've got three lanes merging into two. And this is Sydney in peak house, so you can imagine what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's Pittwater Road to Metas Street Mona Vale, correct, right, Thanks letting us know about that, garyt. Look, it looks like those including the driver who's been pun it into the powerpole, looks like they're going to be okay. But obviously at this time of the day that is causing dramas. Ten past four. It is all happening in mcquarie Street at the moment. Now coming up later this hour, David Elliott will be my guest, my straight shooter for a Thursday afternoon, former Liberal politician, of course, a four minister in the last coalition government. And I'll ask David about his opinions on Alan Stockdale and the comments he made to the Women's Council in New South Wales. You've all heard about it now. We brought it to you yesterday. The suggestion and look he was joking, and he's today came out and said he was joking. But the suggestion where he said, oh look we might need some quotas for men in the Liberal Party completely, it's inappropriate, particularly given the state of the Liberals at the moment. It's not the sort of comment that was needed. Chris Min's has responded in Parliament, what do you reckon?
Speaker 8: Boys?
Speaker 2: Can we squeeze another bloke?
Speaker 4: You're over there?
Speaker 11: Look at them all, mister speaker.
Speaker 2: It's like a men's shed. It's like a men's shed up there, mister Premier, Premier. And that comes after Hasmen Cattley, the Police Minister, accused Mark Speakman of being sexist.
Speaker 11: Yesterday.
Speaker 10: The leader of the opposition got up after question time and called me hysterical, not once, but twice.
Speaker 11: Mister Speaker, if a man came in here.
Speaker 10: With a strong view about you deliberately bagging the cops and trying to confuse the public about who is responsible for cracking down on a list of tobacco.
Speaker 11: Would you have used that language, member for cough sterical. No, it's a sexist word used by.
Speaker 19: A sex man.
Speaker 2: Now, Mark Speaker's come out and said no, No, I didn't call Yasmin Catley hysterical. I said her comments were hysterical. So look, it's the last week of a city, last Davis sitting week. They're all going just a little bit crazy, I think in macquarrey Street today and the worker's compensation laws and amendments so currently before the Upper House. Now, yesterday around this time, we brought you the news that the AEC had confirmed that the recount in Bradfield had resolved in the tier independent Nicolette Bullet being elected. Now Gizelle Captirian was in front by eight votes after the initial count, but after the recount, Nicolett Buller has recorded a win by twenty six votes. But this saga is not over. I've been speaking with people within the Liberal Party today and they're examining what grounds they may well have to take this to the Court and disputed Returns. Now, that doesn't mean even if the Liberal Party then makes a submissionor makes an application of the Court of Disputed Returns, they've got to do so within forty days. It doesn't mean the Court itself and it's effectively three High Court judges who form the court. It doesn't mean they themselves would hold a hearing of some sort, but they could. Now there's not a lot of precedent, which what's happening here very rare that a recount is then challenged legally. Graham Or is a University of Queensland Law School professor. He is an expert in this area and joins us. Professor, thank you for your time. You've been monitoring what's been happening in Field and it's one of those seats that is so close. We've now seen recounts in your view and how you've followed it. How do we get to this point of a recount resulting in a different result from the first outcome.
Speaker 4: The first outcome was what we are in law called the bees dick outcome. So then have a very thorough, fresh recount where the scrutinys will argue over different votes, and they're using the most experienced counters in the AEC. So there might still be some ballots that would be subject to disputation, but whether there's between fourteen and twenty seven to overturn the margin is one question.
Speaker 2: So AB's dick the legal terminology, Thank you, professor.
Speaker 4: Well, it's point oh two extent. But when you think about it, spent on many, many days doing a very thorough account, it's very unlikely that they would find enough contested ballots because the teals will have ballots that they would be wanting to contest, so the liberals will probably have to look for other grounds as well.
Speaker 2: So okay, so the grounds that the liberals will be looking for at the moment, what would they be examining.
Speaker 4: Right, So, in that long running recount, they would be taking notes and asking to have ballot sort of flagged where they disputed, whether it was formal or informal or you might think, well, how can this be? But there's a lot of older people or people who's handwriting is a bit shaky, people who might have signed the ballot, and there might be arguments about whether that identified them. The other type of ground that they might be trying to add to it, because if they can claim, like forteen votes are in the wrong pile, that they could claim the seat right, but that's very unlikely. But they may also be using the forty days to try and find other grounds, which could be things like, oh, there were some people enrolled who were improperly denied a vote, or there were a handful of people who weren't enrolled who were somehow voted. If they can cast enough doubt and show that we're likely the result would have been different, they might be able to get a fresh election as opposed to claiming the seat.
Speaker 2: So they would take just for instance, they do find, is the Liberal Party, for example, finding some grounds, they put that to the court. Does that then mean the court has an obligation themselves to conduct a hearing of some sort? Is that the way it works?
Speaker 4: Yes, So normally this would go to a single judge like of but because there's almost no law on this, it's all just fact based stuff, which would take several days in court, they'd refer it to the federal Court because the High court is not really a court, the whole trials and hearings, and then yes, the judge would have to summon up those ballots that may be being disputed and go through them one by one. The liberals would also have to try and find evidence in a reliable evidence, not just people saying, oh, you know, I didn't get a vote, people that were somehow denied aboute.
Speaker 8: And it won't just be the teal.
Speaker 4: Who would resist it. The AEC will be likely defending their own practices. So it's not so close that you could you'd say, look, it's it's a toss up coin.
Speaker 2: Would the judges themselves got to that point, would they be physically examining the ballot papers?
Speaker 4: They would, they would take some of them into custody. I think this happened in McEwan in two thousand Victoria, but it's very rare. As you said, I think the last time I can remember where you know, there was a very close margin of like twelve votes out of thirty thousand in Queensland nine ninety five, and some ballots didn't reach the defense horse in time, no salt of the Electric Commission. That result was overturned of the fresh election and actually change the government of the gost government laws. But that's the last time I can think we're a very close vote was overturned and sent to a new ballot.
Speaker 2: And so the court could the Court itself declare a winner. For instance, they could they overturn the decision of effectively the AEC is what the ac has come to. Or would they just by process call a new election and by election.
Speaker 4: If, and I think it's are unlikely there were enough votes that the court ruled should have been in the liberals pile and not in an informalre of the Teal pile, then they could award the seat to the Liberals.
Speaker 8: That would be very very rare.
Speaker 4: More likely they would probably find it weren't enough votes and they would reaffirm the Teal. But if there are other grounds, including as I said, you know, people who shouldn't have voted, people who couldn't vote because of some ara of the AEC, and they might be able to get it into the fresh election territory. The last time we had a quarters to the returns case was actually a Liberal seat down in Victoria in twenty nineteen, but that was they had misleading Chinese how to vote material, but the margin was five hundred there so even though the Liberals had broken the law, the margin was just too big to overturn.
Speaker 2: It's a much bigger margin. Yeah, So in your view, how you've watched this, how do you think the next couple of weeks going to transpire.
Speaker 4: I suppose it'll be on the radio. But if they do go to court, there's two issues. I mean, the issue is that, you know, we've got a good case, and there's also this issue where we want to risk the money if they end up. If they lose, the Liberals would have to pay the costs of the AAC and the Teal. Even if the Liberals get Barrasses to do it at rates for themselves, it still could be a several day hearing. On the other hand, they might want to, you know, at least keep us some kind of cloud over the Teal, just because they hate losing seats like this, and once the Teal's getting trenched, it's very hard to win back. But that's something for the Liberal Party and their lawyers to discuss. But we all know that North through or Sydney is the center of Australia, so I'm sure we'll be talking about this.
Speaker 2: If there's a case, certainly we'll be thank you for your expertise anytime. Professor Grahmore Law, he's from the University of Queensland. He's an expert in electoral law. I've spoken to people within the Liberal Party the moment they up obviously because it's such a type margin twenty six they're looking at this very closely. They're not making any commitment at the moment. They will have about forty days once the ritz are finalized. They have forty days from that point they will be looking at whether there are grounds that potentially there is a group of voters who weren't given the opportunity to vote. For instance, So if you and I had to look at a seat back in Queensland, was the seat of Herbert in twenty sixteen and it was won by Kathy O'Toole who was the Labour candidate, and then there was a recount and then she still won. But there was and this was Malcolm Turnbull was the leader of the Liberal Party, and there was a claim that soldiers at a local barracks in Toowoomba weren't given the opportunity to vote because they were on an exercise in Australia and then they didn't vote. Now, the Liberal Party looked closely at that. But even despite that claim, it didn't get all the way to the Court of Disputed Returns, so those three High Court judges. So it's while it's happened at a few times at a state level, it's basically unprecedented at a federal level. There was a case in two thousand and seven in Victoria, McEwan where on first count Labour's Rob Mitchell won from fran Bailey. You remember hers, she was a tourism minister in Liberal Party. He won by seven votes. There was then a recount and Bailey won by twelve votes. So Mitchell then challenged it. Labour challenged it and it was considered by the High Court justices, the three judges, but it didn't actually get to the point of a hearing as such. So there's still a fair bit of water to go under the bridge, but it will take a lot for the Liberals to get this result overturned. It's twenty past four, twenty four past four. This news just to hand. Some limited light rail services are now running between Circular Key and more Park. Now it's very slow, it's not moving quickly, but very limited services are now running, so if you are planning to use a lot rail you're going to have to give yourself a lot of extra time. But they were completely cut because of the fatality that's occurred devon Shear Street in Surrey Hills this afternoon. A man aged in his forties has been killed. A little more detail has now come from Inspector Andrew Lessing from New South Wales Police.
Speaker 20: At this stage he was waiting on the platform and then stepped off to try and cross the tram line between the carriages. But obviously that had formed part of our report to the coroner, witness statements and further CCTV canvas and it appears to be a set of tragic circumstances.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was on the platform moving off, so that investigation will continue. In Parliament House, the upper House is currently debating the State government's workers' compensation legislation. The government is desperate to have this legislation passed by the end of the night. Today is the last sitting day of the week. They want to pass now so the changes can be included in the budget, and they say by making these changes it will prevent significant premium increases kicking in from July one. There are arguments now being made in the Chamber against what is occurring and what the government wants to do, including from the Greens MP. Abigail Boyd has been quite emotional.
Speaker 21: Labor members often talk about change from within, but how far do you have to change yourselves from within, to change your own principles in order to contort yourselves into a person here today who is capable of sitting quiet while something this unconscionable, something that would cost actual lives in a more immediate way than anything else you've been asked to support happens in your name. You may not like me particularly right now, or my party. You may not like the coalition most of the time, I don't. You may not even like your own party right now.
Speaker 2: But you need to like yourselves, Abigail boy they're appealing to Greens back benches in the Upper House to vote against their own legislation, which that's not going to happen, and she's claiming that lives will be lost if this legislation is passed. There's a fine balance there because there are clearly many people also routing the system, and that's what the government is trying to now prevent one three one eight seventy three, so legally the New South Wales Liberal Party is considering what grounds they may have to challenge the result in Bradfield that has seen Nicolette Bull the Tea Or claim the seat by twenty six votes. Hello Ryl Hi, do you live in the area.
Speaker 22: I live in the area of Bradfield, Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: What do you think should happen?
Speaker 22: There should be a by election or whatever you want to call it. It's too close and with the preferential voting system that you have here. I mean I was born overseas, I'm Australian, but there are people who manipulate know how to manipulate the preferential voting and this margin is so close that I don't think anyone's going to be comfortable with either of them.
Speaker 2: And I think the big difference is between previous close votes is the fact that it has changed what happened to Kewan many years ago in Victoria. The fact that the Liberal initially was the leader and now it's it's gone to the Teal. That's different from usually when there's these bit close votes. There's still the same outcome, but this is significantly different. I think there'll be quite a lot of people in Bradford who want a revote. I doubt that's going to happen, but time will tell. It's Clinton Maine with you this afternoon, but dealing with a lot of hard news on the program so far. But this has just been sent to me via email today. I'm on the mailing list for Domino's pizzas they don't have any commercial arrangements at the radio station. And it's their new meat pie crust pizza. Believe they're selling it from this week and it's it's a pizza and instead of the normal base, the edge of the base, so the crust of the pizza features four and twenty beef mini pies one, two, three, four, five, six, The seven pies around in a circular in a circle at the edge of the pizza. So just think about that. You're having your Hawaiian pizza, you're having your ham and pineapple pizza, and you're about to bite into the crust. But instead of just biding into usual pizza dough, you're biting into a meat pie and it's actually got dollops of sauce on each one of the little party pies before you get to the meat. The actual pizza bit a curious flavor. The mixing the pineapple with the meat pie flavor very strange. Now we have been absolutely treated here at TWOGB today. Our boss Burnsy actually he moonlights making donuts. And I know there's one of the big donut retailers who's going to have some special donut promotion tomorrow. Forget them. Burnsy is the king of donuts. I know there's that outlet called Donut King. Well, Burnsy, I think he's going to open his own donut King on the side of working here at TWOGB running the show. He has made the most delicious cinnamon donuts today. He's done three running. He brought it seriously. He brought in the deep fryer. We've got a little balcon here at two GB that's usually locked. People don't go out there. Burns. He found the key, set up the deep fly And how how many donuts has he produced today? Probably about three hundred. I reckon the one nine eighty five. He would have heard about that on Levey as well as his baconing worl. Absolutely sensational. Burnsey, well done, We are you one let's check out his headlines and we all latest Josh Bright.
Speaker 12: Good afternoon, Clinton, Tasmania's premier will request the state's second election in fifteen months. A no confidence motion forcing him out of the state's top job has passed State Parliament. Police in Sydney say they're speaking to witnesses and reviewing security footage as they investigate how a man came to be fatally struck by a light rail carriage in Surrey Hills. The Coalition has formally decided to oppose the Federal government's super tax changes in parliament, and drivers are being reminded double demerits will be inforced from midnight to night ahead of the King's Birthday long weekend in Sport. The Giants and being back Breton Daniels for Saturday nights AFL clash with Port Adelaide. The small forward missed the past eight games with an abdominal injury. We'll have more news and sported five.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Josh. Fifteen degrees on the coast at the moment at Holsworthy, it's sixteen degrees. Josh just mentioned. Double demerits reinforced from midnight tonight, running across the King's Birthday Long weekend. No, it's not the Queen's Birthday Long week anymore, the King's Birthday Long weekend. I'll be speaking with the head of the Highway Patrol a little after five o'clock, David Elliott, with straight Shooters coming up as well. Trams are now running again in the city, limited service. They are delayed, so ife you usually use the light rail, the T two or the T three line to Kingsford and Randwick. I'd suggest still giving it a miss. Sadly, a man in his forties has been killed today. There was an accident devon Shears Street, Surrey Hills a little earlier. But they do have light rail operating once again. It is very slow and at the moment it is a limited service. The toy retailer Toys Are Russ has gone bust once again. Now Toys are US and they owned They had a lot of stores around the country and it was an adaptation of the American brand. They closed down I would have been maybe five, six, seven, eight years ago. Now they couldn't compete with Big w and some of the other discount retailers, but they were revived and there've been an online retailer well. It looks like they've gone bust once again. Their shares have been suspended today from the Australian Stock Market. They've handed themselves over to administrators. And this is the second time buyers are being sought out for the collapsed business. So it was twenty eighteen administrators were last appointed and that's when they did have stores across the country. You'd remember them. They were in most of the big shopping centers and I actually think it's such a loss not having a big toy chain like Toys r US anymore. Australia Posters today announced that it's equipping its posters with citronella spray. Now, yesterday afternoon we spoke a lot on the program about dogs off leash, off their leads and the troubles they can cause, and some local councils have made submissions to the state government and the state governments reviewing the Companion Animals Act. At the moment, they've made submissions to increase penalties for owners, in particular doing the wrong thing. Well, incidentally, Australia Posts says they're going to need to equip posties with citronella spray. Why because of the big increase in the number of dog related incidents. In six months, forty four posties a week fall victim to a threatening dog, So it's nine per day. Australia's Post says, despite repeated appeals from dog owners to secure dogs during deliveries, data reveals more than one and fifty dog related incidents occurring in just six months. It highlights the growing concern for the physical and psychological well being of posties. Australia Post says the spray won't be harmful. It will only be used as a last line of defense to protect team members from imminent attack. Wow, okay, so the posts they will now have citronella spray to fight the attacking.
Speaker 1: Dogs on Sidney. Now you trance handle the truth the streets into.
Speaker 2: Our straight shotor on a Thursday afternoon. Is the former Minister in New South Wales and the coalition government, David Elliott, longtime Liberal Party member, So he can give us an insight and exactly what's going on in the Liberal Party at the moment. Hello David, Hello Clinton, Alan Stockdale.
Speaker 23: Well, if I had to write an episode of Yes Minister dedicated to how you'd send the political party into implosion mode, I'd probably include two entitled geriatrics from another state, and that's exactly what we've got at the moment. And Allen has actually done something that many in the Liberal Party have been trying to do for decades and he's united everybody, but they've all been united to oppose his role in the restructure of the party.
Speaker 2: So it's been very well reported now in the past twenty four hours. We brought you the news yesterday about the comments that he made in early a teleconference to a women's council meeting. Completely can't read the room clearly on Stockdale, but just for a bit of background because some people aren't quite aware of going on here, Alan Stockdale and Richard Austen former how a government minister had along with Peter Seaton, had been appointed to try and sort out the Liberal Party rewrite the constitution. He's from Victoria, He's not from New South Wales.
Speaker 19: That's right.
Speaker 23: There was and there was probably a good reason for Peter Dutton step in, particularly after the Devaca with the local government campaign, and there was a you know, and it was the party does have some issues when it comes to fastionalism. But I must say when we're looking at the demographic that we have to now appeal to and looking at the demographic that is represented in that three person committee, you have to ask yourself if we're singing.
Speaker 19: From the right song sheet.
Speaker 2: And I think.
Speaker 23: If I was, if I was out in Stockdale, i'd resigned today. And I think that there should be people in the Liberal Party calling for him to resign because he's put us, He's put.
Speaker 19: The party reputation in disrepute. Yes, it was a jake.
Speaker 23: We've all made stupid Jack's goodnessign that I'm king of stupid Jackson. But you know, when you're when you've got this issue with being so sensitive, and you've got that's the issue of demographics and of representation, and you've got a person that doesn't really understand politics in this city, let alone this state. I think it's proof positive that that that the reform that he's going to be trying to bring in will be probably just knocked on.
Speaker 19: The head out of spite.
Speaker 2: So his term was to end, I think at the end of this, and they're seeking extension because they actually haven't finished rewriting the constitution.
Speaker 23: Yeah, well, I mean nobody has seen a draft version of that. I hoping that Mark Speatman and Susan Lee have seen a draft. But nobody's saying that we didn't need to have federal intervention. We certainly did need to have federal intervention. But I think we got it wrong when we when we picked when we picked it a couple of our blokes from Victoria. I mean, I can't imagine going down to Victoria or South Australia and giving them instruction about how to do politics.
Speaker 2: Just couldn't imagine it. And this is all the same day it was revealed in the web, but it was revealed yesterday and the same day that the AEC declares that the Liberals have lost another Blue ribbon seat.
Speaker 23: That's exactly right, I mean, And this is an issue. While we're talking about quotas, which I don't agree with, but we're talking about diversity and while we're talking about who is our new constituency, Well, yesterday was proof positive our new constituency are working people from the outer suburbs.
Speaker 19: That's all we've got.
Speaker 23: We've got Lindsay, we've got Barrara, we've got Mitchell and we've got Cook.
Speaker 19: That's it.
Speaker 23: So if you're wanting to find out in this town, particularly who our demographic is it is lowell, middle class tradees and families that live in those out of perimeter areas, and now we've got to build on that. We can't lose them. And that's exactly what we're doing now.
Speaker 2: A lot of people because they tell me in that demographic bi legal cigarettes and they've been telling me now for the last year. The reeks, I've been banging on about this for a long time now, but have been telling me about this for the last year. There's simple reason they do, their law abiding citizens usually, but the reason they're doing is because the price differential is so bad. I took my hat off to Chris Mins this week for becoming really the first politician to actually argue against the excise or that the level of it.
Speaker 23: Well, and all power to Chris, and I think I'm seeing him next week and I'm going to give him a wrap for this because ten years ago, when I was first made Minister and the Justice portfolio, as the tobacco industry came and spoke to me and they said, listen, this chop chop is bad news. It is going to forfeit the taxpayer. It's a rightful excise. Okay, that's a good consideration, but it's going to be used to do everything from funding counter terrorism organizations to money laundering everything that the tobacco industry. And you can say what you like about them, but they did their work on this particular brief. Everything that they told me was going to occur has now occurred in the last couple of years, and I think that Mens is in the right space to push the envelope on this is dead. This is prohibition all over again. And the criminals, like they did in the nineteen thirties in the United States and now using tobacco, particularly the cost and the illability for people to afford tobacco. They're using that as low hanging fruit when it comes to funding their operations. And I think it just goes to show how disengaged Canberra is for their just immediately dismissing Chris on this. And I also think that it should be bipartisan. I'd like to see the opposition jumping up and down about this as well the new stuff I was opposition. I think I think Mark Speakman should be getting on this issue and making sure that the Premier has as the maximum amount of politically air cover that it can get.
Speaker 2: Jim Charmer's shot it down pretty quickly, though. Does it help in practice because you were in power when there was a liberal government, a coalition government power in Canberra? Does it help when there's a labor government? Canbra a labor government in New South Wales to negotiate on these sort of things?
Speaker 23: You know what, I never really found it. I had just as good a relationship with Catherine King when I was Transport Minister as I did with the federal Liberal transportman. This is that's the beauty about Australian politics. We actually have personal relationships on both sides and it's important that there's a bit of a level of trust there. Charterers I thought was quite bizarre him just basically immediately dismissing it, because clearly when the Treasurer is dismissing something, it means that he's worried about the bottom line. Well, I was coming down though, that's exactly right, and this is this is what I could. I don't think he understood exactly what the Premier was trying to highlight the fact that there we are forfeiting exercise by the illegal tobacco. You're also, by the way, Treasurer are potentially aiding money laundering and criminal activity. So if your argument is, oh, well I can't afford it, well you can't afford not to this new.
Speaker 2: South Well's health that has the job of And I spoke to an inspector at length off air this week and he went to chapter in verse how it all works, and look, he does his best, but he conceides it's just simply not enough of them. Christ miss is indicated that might need to move responsibility to the police. When you were a police minister, had police express concerns about the growing market?
Speaker 4: No, not.
Speaker 23: The irony is that I had my eye on this issue as the counter Terrorism Minister, not necessarily as the police minister, and for those reasons because it was very much a health in the health jurisdiction. But I think when you're looking at the element the type of people that are benefiting and profiting from a legal tobacco, then it does become a police matter because not only is it important for the police, who there's fourteen fifteen thousand of them out there, so they certainly have the ability to run an operation, an ongoing operation, or to maintain compliance, but also they know what to look out for when it comes to a legal activity, and people that have got unexplained wealth, they know what to look out for. A Department of Health inspector is not going to then have suspicion that the bloke that's selling illegal cigarettes also has a maserati and his wife's full of plastic. She's had public she's had plastic surgery in three times last week. And the kids are all driving, you know, sports cars. It's that's that's not something that a health inspector would be trying to look at.
Speaker 2: Police can police can do that. King's birthday, not the Queen's birthday. The King's birthday long weekend this weekend. Have you met the King?
Speaker 20: I have?
Speaker 19: I have, and in fact it's also my birthday. Thanks for thanks for mentioning that. You can get the point always probably the reason.
Speaker 23: Why from a very young age I was a staunch monarchist because I was scared they were going.
Speaker 19: To take away my birthday holiday.
Speaker 23: Yeah, tomorrow's column I'm dedicating to the royal family, nine of them who I've met, and I'm talking about my personal experiences. Which one do you think i'd want next to me in a pub brawl? In a brawl in a pub brawl, not just not a rugby pub brawl.
Speaker 2: How does Prince Andrew go?
Speaker 23: No, he doesn't get him. I've never met him, and now I'm glad. You know, I got enough scheme in my life to worry about something.
Speaker 2: Case. Well, look, he's a he's married into the royal family. I'll go Mike Tindall, the former rugby player.
Speaker 23: The only one that's married in that's mentioned that I've met, and I'm going to be honest with you. I'm going to be brutal with her. Is Meghan Markle?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 19: Yeah, well I hosted the Invictors Games, of course, and so I had a fee bit to do with it.
Speaker 2: Harry's baby.
Speaker 23: Yeah yes, indeed. So in the three different jobs I've had as a member of Palmer's, an army officer and with my involvement with Sint John Ambulance, I've met nine of them in that capacity. One of them gets two mentions because this person I think changed after a certain event happened in their life.
Speaker 2: Who's that? So who would you want next to in a pub braw? So, okay, it's not Andrew. Although I did see some vision of Megan Markle dancing around while she was pregnant today. That's been released as Harry for it now.
Speaker 19: Harry, I think really can because he was a soldier. But no, he's not the one that i'd want next to me in a pub braw.
Speaker 2: We'll have to read tomorrow.
Speaker 19: I have to read tomorrow and I'd be very keen to get your feedback.
Speaker 2: David Elliott in the Telegraph. Thank you, thank you, David Elliott.
Speaker 1: You're listening to.
Speaker 6: Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on two GB cool now one three one eight.
Speaker 2: Seven three, nine to five. This has just happened in mcquarry Street. The state government has failed in its attempt to get workers' compensational legislation through the upper House. The opposition has been successful in combining with the Greens. What this means is there will be an inquiry. Apparently it's a short inquiry, but there will be an inquiry, so the whole process will be delayed. We'll get a response from Mark Speakman after the five o'clock news. What's that? No, it's not a politician, Okay, it's an animal you'll find at Taroga Park Zoo. I want you to tell me what it is. One three one eight seven three. Whoever is correct is going to win a family pass to the zoo because today is Taronga Giving Day. They arise raising funds for the new Taronga Wildlife Hospital and they care for hundreds of injured North animals every year at the hospital. It needs to be upgraded, needs some money to be spent on it, so you can donate at give dot Taronga dot org dot au. All donations over two dollars a tax deductible. Every contribution made today will be quadripled by the Zoo's partners as well. So their website to donate is give dot Tara dot org dot au. It's for the Tronga Wildlife Hospital. But if you'd like to win a family pass to the zoo, tell me what this is. No, no, no, that's not the premiere screening. Right across the city, Huge Moves is back for its tenth year at the International this Saturday. It's a cellar door wine tasting experience across all three levels. It's the International and of course Vivid continues to illuminate our city. Eight new landmarks and buildings are being lit up. There is plenty to do in city this weekend. Whatever you do, get up to it this weekend. In the all new, rugged yet refined jq J seven super Hybrid. It has a combined range of twelve hundred kilometers. It is built to thrive in this world wildlife. Have a look at them. They are pretty clever, sexy looking vehicles.
Speaker 1: I gotta say.
Speaker 2: Book a test drive now at the website jqu dot com dot au. They now have thirty dealers around the country jaec JCU dot com dot Au. It's three to five. A police offer has been charged after a crash in Sydney earlier in the year. The officer was responding to an urgent call for help. He was driving a mark Police current at the time and he collided with an suv in Rosebury. It was the intersection of Dunning Avenue in Epsom Road in Rosebury. This is back in February of this year now. Police have been investigating this crash ever since. The driver of the suv was a forty year old man. He had to be taken to hospital at a fractured hand well. Following the investigation, a male constable has today been charged. He will need to front court on a neg driving charge negligent driving. He's due to appear before the downing Stent of local court in August. Okay, let's give away a great prize. Family passed to go to toron Kazoo. But you need to tell me what this animal is. Is that a whale? That sounds a bit like a whale to me? No, that in any whales at Tronkazoo. Hello Philo, how are you good? Mate? What's that sound?
Speaker 16: It sounds like a devil?
Speaker 2: No, it's not a tazzy devil. Very appropriate, given it looks like the Tasmanian devils. May not make the AFL after all. Michelle's in Miranda, Hello, Michelle, Hi, what's this sound? What's that?
Speaker 24: I think it's a mountain goat? A mountain goat.
Speaker 2: I don't think they have any mountain goats at Tronkazoo. So no, it's it's not a mountain goat. Sorry Michelle. Try Damien, Hello Damien?
Speaker 8: Oh good eye.
Speaker 15: Quinton, how are you?
Speaker 2: What's this mate?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 8: No thing?
Speaker 15: It sounds like a I think it sounds like a giraffe.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent correct, Well done, my friend, you are right legend. Thanks May, how'd you had you pick that? How'd you pick that?
Speaker 8: I've been of the doo a couple of times.
Speaker 18: Not for a while though, But yeah, I just sort.
Speaker 15: Of remember when they are eating some carrot punti and I'm making a few noises, so I think that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, poor Giraff sounds like he's in a great deal of pain there. Given his zoo, he won't be in pain because they're very well cared for. Well done, mate, We're sending you out a family past. Today is tarrong get Giving Day as well to wronga Giving Day is raising funds for the Tronga Wildlife Hospital. You can donate at give dot Taronga dot org dot au. All donations over two doors at tax deductible. Every contribution made today will be quadrupled by the Zoos partners as well. If you don't want to go onto the internet, you can call this number one three hundred three sixty nine one double six MG is back in the next hour.
Speaker 1: This this Sydney.
Speaker 2: Now we've clinton on TGB. It is seven past five. The light rail network, the T to the T three between the city and the eastern suburbs Kingsford and Randwich is operating once again. It is slow. There are some delays. Sadly, there was a fatality. A man is being killed after being struck by one of the light rail carriages a little early this afternoon Devin Shear Street in Surrey Hills. Now police are still trying to figure out exactly what's occurred. This is Inspector Anderson listing at.
Speaker 20: This stage he was waiting on the platform and then stepped off to try and cross the tram line between the carriages. But obviously that had formed part of our report to the coroner, witness statements and further CCTV canvas and no, it appears to be a set of tragic circumstances.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was on the platform moving off. So the emergency services have been in a way to clear out a path so the trams can actually get through, but it is slow going at the moment.
Speaker 6: You want to know what's happening in Sydney, stay tune to Sitney Now with Clinton laynar Onto GMB.
Speaker 2: The biggest issue this week in state politics, no doubt, is the future of the workers compensation scheme. And I know some of the detail this can be dry, but it's important because the changes the state government has wanted to mate are crucial for when it comes to premiums paid by business and if premiums go up by the amount the government forecasts, and they're predicting that if changes aren't made to work its compensation, the premiums will increase by more than thirty percent over three years. We're the ones who are going to pay more. The scheme is losing five million dollars a day now these changes, and it's quite a complex issue, but they concern workers who make claims for psychological injury and then on this scheme in the long term. The government has had legislation before Parliament today this afternoon. It has been knocked over effectively. What's going to happen is there's going to be an inquiry, which means the scheme is effectively up in the air somewhat. The changes the government wants to make cannot be made in time for the new financial year, in time for the budget. It's going to be handed down in a couple of weeks time, and the government has said that is going to force premiums up in July for businesses and those be passed on to us the customer. Mark Speakman is the opposition lead. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 25: Mark.
Speaker 2: Thanks Lyinton, you've teamed up with the Greens to knock this over. Does that?
Speaker 8: See?
Speaker 2: Well with you?
Speaker 17: I wouldn't put it that way. Clinton. Then, just to correct something you set in you introductory remarks, premiums won't go up in July. The premiums have already been set for the next financial year, and the premiums for twenty six twenty seven won't be set until March.
Speaker 2: Daniel Bookie says that there was the risk that they would go up in July by more than the eight percent.
Speaker 17: Well, that's news to us to quite frankly, the premiums have already been set. We want reform, and we want reform that will drive down premiums of small business and all business actually, but we also want reform that is fair. And what the government has done at the heel of the hunt. They've given us a piece of legislation out of the blue a week ago that will stop long term benefits for the most seriously psychologically injured. They want to increase what's known as the whole person in thresh impairment threshold from twenty percent twenty one percent to thirty one percent. Now, these are the same people who are a couple of years ago, before the election, wanted to get rid of the twenty percent threshold altogether. They didn't want a threshold at all. They said it was harsh and unconsortable and unfair, et cetera. People would be thrown on the scrap peep. Now they want to increase it to thirty one percent. And the effect of that is you are almost completely abolishing long term support for psychologists, severely psychologically injured workers, or any Almost no one will qualify.
Speaker 2: But they've made the point though, that the amendments that you were considering would have added one point nine billion dollars to the cost of this scheme. Already, the scheme losers were told five million dollars a day. Obviously, there's a balance that needs to be found, but business can't.
Speaker 17: And the big point of difference between us and the government is on this WPI. But there were plenty of other savings they identified and which we were prepared to support. They could bank those savings and get the majority of their savings right now if they supported the amended legislation. And in addition to that, we've come up with others estions for savings. We think it would be fairer to be tackling lower level claims and what we proposed, which had been put to us by the bar associations, instead of attacking the most seriously injured workers, weed out the lower level claims, tighten the definition of bullying and save money that way. So we're trying to be constructive. If the government could have could have passed the meded legislation this week and got immediate savings straight away, and savings that would represent most of the increased costs they're talking about. But instead they won't come to the table to compromise in transient and this has now been This will now have to be the subject of an inquiry, whine inquiry because we've got figures plucked out of the air at the last minute. This is really serious legislation.
Speaker 2: We want as an inquiry. That means that this legislation obviously can't pass this week, so it can't be part of what happens from the new financial year. Now, I know you said that the premeremi the premiss will being sept Then why is Daniel Mookie so desperate to get it done? Now?
Speaker 17: Well, look I understand his point that. Well, firstly, it doesn't affect his Actually he says he's already budgeted for this is not happening. Secondly, premiums won't go up next financial year. They've already been said. But he says, and we accept that the scheme is losing money every day. We don't know whether it's five million dollars. That's a figure he's given us. He hasn't given us any modeling, any substantiation. We don't know whether that's right. But I accept the scheme is losing money every day, and that's why we need reform. Why we are supporting most of the amendments, sorry, most of the legislation which would deliver most of the savings, and why we suggest that additional savings. But it's got to be done in a fair way.
Speaker 2: But what is living everyone confused is you've got your traditional constituency business, small business now speaking out against it. You saw the comments from Daniel Hunter from Business to New South Wales today very well reported. Your core is against what you're doing, mister speakman.
Speaker 17: They want a rapid answer to this, and so do we. They want to drive premiums down and so do we. But we cannot in good conscience abandoned the most severely injured people. We think it is much fairer to be looking at savings at the other end, weeding out lower lee or claims. And at the end of the day, when we are there to represent small business, but we're also there to represent injured workers. And these are workers if they're beyond this thresholder basically incapable of going back to work. And the government's answer is throw all these people on the scrappeet. We think there are fairer ways to get a satisfactory solution.
Speaker 2: My colleague Mike Levy reported this this morning. But I've also spoken to people within your party today about this, and there is the suggestion that's being made that members of your party room, of your senior team, have pushed this to destabilize your leadership, to basically make you look bad with the traditional core Liberal Party supporters.
Speaker 17: Ah, Look, there always all sorts of theories. Are that's an interesting theory. I haven't heard that one before. Look what we are trying.
Speaker 2: That's come from people. I've spoken to two people today within the Liberal Party.
Speaker 17: Well, well that's the first I've heard. That's an interesting theory. Look, the reality is this is legislation where you have to get the balance right. We offered a sensible set of amendments. But even without those amendments, most of the savings the government is seeking it would be made if they passed the amended legislation. They could have had these savings straight away. They could have had less pressure on the system straight away and in the longer term, not this financial year because the premiums already said, but in the longer term, less pressure on premiums. But instead the government won't come to the table. They want to throw the most civilian injured workers on the scrap heap, and we can't in good conscience do that. We want to make savings, we want the scheme that's sustainable, but there are fairer and better ways of doing it.
Speaker 2: Rare that we see that the State Liberal Party is staying alongside the Union Movement and the Greens. Missus big, while I have you here, I need to play you some comments that Yasmin Catley made in Parliament following comments that you made in the press conference yesterday.
Speaker 10: Yesterday the leader of the Opposition got up after question time and called me hysterical, not once but twice, mister Speaker. If a man came in here with a strong view about you deliberately bagging the cops and trying to confuse the public about who is responsible for cracking.
Speaker 11: Down on a list of tobacco. Would you have used that language, remember for hysterical. No, it's a sexist word. Used a se.
Speaker 2: Menisa the police minister ysmen Katleyen question time today, she's accused you of being sexist. Are you sexist?
Speaker 17: No, that's rubbish. I didn't call her hysterical. I said her comments were hysterical. It's not a gender term. The tone of her comments yesterday were hysterical. I asked her a simple question, and every time you asked the police minister a question, her standard response is to scream across the chamber and said, why are you bagging police? And I asked her a question yesterday that had no criticism of police in it. But her answer, the manner of her response was hysterical. And that's a word that I would use whether she's a man or a woman. This is basically a diversion by labor finling to tell us what they're doing about illegal tobacco. I mean early in the week the premier wanted to divert resources from fighting domestic violence, fighting youth crime and fighting organized crime to police illegal tobacco. That was Plan A, and then Plan B was to lobby the Feds or ask the FEDS to cut the federal excise. They're not doing that. There is no Plans C. And my job as an opposition leader is to probe this and not to have a minister screaming abuse across the chamber, which is what she did.
Speaker 2: And I know you are very supportive of the police. Thank you for your time. Mark.
Speaker 17: Thanks Clinton.
Speaker 2: Mark Speakman, the New South Wales opposition leader until six.
Speaker 6: This is Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one three one.
Speaker 2: Eight seven three sixteen past five and you report has been released today revealing how tough things are for the Sandwich generation. Have you heard of that term before? They're Australians who are juggling both their children and their aging parents. Now you may form to that category. Nine to ten careers say they're experiencing burnout and it's no wonder. They spend an average of thirty hours a week unpaid care, either looking after children, elderly parents or both. They're forking out an average of eighteen thousand dollars a year supporting their elderly parents or all the in laws while trying to hold down jobs raise kids. Annabel Readers, the CEO of Care as Australian, joins us. This is quite a challenge. Thank you for your time, Annabella, Thank you Cointin.
Speaker 24: It's a pleasure to join you.
Speaker 2: This is quite common that the Sandwich generation is not a small number of people.
Speaker 24: Is it absolutely not. I mean, in Australia there are three million family and friend cares and the Sandwich generation is that group of carers within those three million Australians who are juggling care, often for aging parents are also with parenting responsibilities as well, so that's you know, that's a big responsibility for that group.
Speaker 2: Is this just something we should accept that our demographics have moved in this way or because we do have an aging population overall.
Speaker 24: Well, given the aging population and the silver tsunami that we're talking about, we also have to consider that carers, you know, are often juggling paid employment at the same time as providing care. So we can't ignore this issue. We have to embrace more inclusive workplaces for carers so they can continue to participate in paid employment along with care and responsibility.
Speaker 2: So what's that you believe that that employers who in their workforce they have people who fall in this category and need to provide what more flexible working hours.
Speaker 24: Absolutely, and sometimes there are really simple things that can be done to help a care for example, advanced notice of rostering.
Speaker 15: So if they have to take.
Speaker 24: Mum with dementia to a medical appointment, they know in advance and are able to manage work around that care and responsibility.
Speaker 2: It must and I unfortunately at this point don't fall into that category. But it must just be so stressful when you're dealing with your own parents who may suffer dementia, as you say, but your kids might be in high school or early as university and they're struggling a lot.
Speaker 22: Yeah.
Speaker 24: Absolutely, And the report did show so you know, like you said, nine outs ken of Sandwich carers are showing signs that burnout, things like emotional stress, They're experiencing time pressure, it's interrupting their sleep and it's also impacting the time they have for themselves to look after themselves and remain healthy, like exercising or eating well or going.
Speaker 15: To the GP.
Speaker 2: So in a built other than workforce changes, what else could be done?
Speaker 24: Well, there's a real financial impult for carers. So we can't ignore that some carers have such a large responsibility they can't participate in paid employment. And we know those carers are able to get some paid support that some of those supports like the care of supplement and care Allowance has not been indexed for a long time, so the cost of providing care and the report shows, you know, eighteen thousand a year and caring associated costs was the average for the survey respondents. You know, the amount of money that a care can apply for and get support on it is really in comparison to that.
Speaker 2: And that care they're providing. May we'll be saving the government money in age care costs at the time or even down the track. We'll open it up to our listeners. Annabelle, thank you for your time.
Speaker 24: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Adabel Reid, who's the CEO of care Is Australia. Do you fall into that category? Do you still have children at home but you are effectively looking after your own parents, whether they're at the point of moving into age care or whether they're more reliant on you.
Speaker 17: I know it is.
Speaker 2: It is a really big toll that it's playing on so many people. Let me know, been intrigued to find out. One three one eight seventy three. A former NRL player has been charged with refusing to take a drink driving test. You'll remember Stuart Webb. He's now forty four, but he played for the Sydney Roosters and also played a little for St Georgia, Lawi and South Sydney. Please say. The forty four year old has been charged with refusing to submit to a breath analysis driving an understod vehicle as well. He was pulled over in Pagewood a couple of weeks ago. He is now before the courts now talking about our roads. The police operation for the King's Birthday long weekend is starting to Assistant Police Commissioner, he is head of the Highway Patrol. David Driver joins us, thank you for your time.
Speaker 26: Thanks good to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Double demerits from tonight.
Speaker 26: That's right at midnight they kick in for speed spreading offenses, restraints, phones and helmets, offenses on motorcycles, so they'll be double for those categories.
Speaker 2: Will you have extra police on the roads.
Speaker 26: We'll have available resources and we've get assistance from the perspective commands and police districts across the state and engaging the activity, plus the specialist commands as well, so there will be an elevated profile of police presence.
Speaker 8: On the roads.
Speaker 2: If I know, when you joined me in the studio a couple of weeks ago, after Easter and Anzac Day, we were talking about police resources, and I think we all agree that when you see a police officer on the road, that's what makes people slow down.
Speaker 26: Certainly, our presence acts as of the turnative effect. But we certainly, and I'm the first to acknowledge that we can't be everywhere all the time, but we can be anywhere anytime. But I certainly implore upon everyone to think about the safety of everyone else. You know, they shouldn't need the presence of the police to comply with the law. The mere fact that they don't want to hurt anyone else or anyone in their.
Speaker 1: Vehicle should be the incentive to comply.
Speaker 2: Double mirror points have been used as a tactic on long weekends and hillway periods for many years. Now do you think they're as effective as they were when they started?
Speaker 26: Well, look, what drives people to comply is going to vary from person to person.
Speaker 2: But we know that long.
Speaker 26: Weekends are periods of increased risk. Therefore, there is that additional incentive not to break the law because if, for example, if you use a mobile phone, you're going to lose ten points and that could be enough to take a license away. You've had one other infringement in the last three years. So I think we need to As I've said before, I think we need to pull every lever possible to reduce raid trauma and get to that aspirational target of zero.
Speaker 2: And I know, David over at the long weekend you will have a target of motorbike safety this weekend. Why is that the case?
Speaker 26: Yeah, Unfortunately we have sent an increase in motorcycle fatalities. We've had thirty six motorcyclists killed on our roads this year so far, and then last weekend we saw a spike again. Motorcyclists they are of unruallle cohortive road users. You know, they don't have the protection of the physical protection of a car, and obviously when they involved in a crash, the risk of serious injury and depth is far greater. They're also harder to see. So we're asking when we are when everyone's using the roads this weekend pay particular attention and look for motorcycles. They are harder to see. They can be blocked by the construction of the car by the pillars.
Speaker 2: It's a good message to get out there. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 26: Thanks much, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: David Driver, who's the assistant Police Commissioners headed the highway patrol. So double demerits enforced from tonight.
Speaker 1: If it matters to.
Speaker 6: You, then you'll hear it here Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard until six So.
Speaker 2: New research shows the Sandwich generation, people who are caring for both children and their parents. Aging parents are spending thirty hours a week on unpaid leave. Vince, are you a career.
Speaker 8: My sister is, and she's.
Speaker 25: Looking after a ninety year old woman and a fourteen year old autistic boy. Oh geez, my mother has got dementia and my nephew is a autistic he's non verbal.
Speaker 2: And does your sister have need to work as well?
Speaker 8: And she does. She works from home. She works for logistics company, so she's got all these balls in the here.
Speaker 25: She's an unbelievable person, someone I admire very much because at the end of the day, you will never find someone who can care for your loved ones as much as one of your own. And she's a fantastic young.
Speaker 2: You actually, in the end, Vince, you can't put a value on the work that she's doing. Good on you for the shout out as well. Frank is in Camden, Hello Frank.
Speaker 27: Hey Unquinn. Yeah, look only I was a care for my mum Last Wednesday, Senn just rang me up and just said thank You're not a care anymore. She's in age care. But during that age care I'm there all the time. I'm also she's had two and a half months in hospital because she's had two broken hips.
Speaker 2: And so you've got to when she's going to hospital, you've got to help her get there, and you got to visitor with.
Speaker 27: A person that I was also taking her to all her medical appointments until it got to a point where I couldn't physically get her in our car. But then I'd still have to attend those medical appointments. I've also got a down syndrome brother who who's getting dementia. And yeah, they never take all this into account of what you've got to do.
Speaker 2: We're good at throwing money at all sorts of causes. We're good at wasting a lot of money in our society. But this is an area that we do need to pay more attention to because there is so much that loved ones do for their families that just goes goes unnoticed, goes unpaid, and if we switch that care to the public sector, simply the budget wouldn't be able to afford it. Good on you, Frank for.
Speaker 17: What you do.
Speaker 2: And good afternoon, Josh Bright. Good afternoon again.
Speaker 1: Clinton.
Speaker 12: Changes to workers compensation in New South Wales will not go ahead for now, with a bill in the Upper House instead referred to an inquiry. Police say it's believed a man had stepped off a platform trying to cross between courriages when he was fatally struck by a light rail in Sydney, CBD. The Green say they won't conduct negotiations through the media, as the federal government tries to reach a deal on its superannuation tax changes, and Australia's short lived trade surplus with the United States has now ended, boosting the federal government's case for a tariff exemption. In Sport, an NRL star says he's open to offers to join the New Perth Bears. West Tiger's captain Happy Chorus out comes off contract at the end of next season, just in time for the Bears to be introduce to the Premiership in twenty twenty seven. We'll have more news and sport at six.
Speaker 2: Thank you Josh fourteen degrees in Sydney at the moment.
Speaker 1: Finance Update dead.
Speaker 2: Night hosting Money News from seven o'clock tonight. Hello deav Hello Dear Clinton. How did the markets fair today?
Speaker 11: Well, the US.
Speaker 28: Markets were pretty mixed overnight, so we thought we were in for a pretty strong day. The local boss was strong at the open, but it fell came back a bit, not a great deal of damage. The A six two hundred is still within really touching points of the record high as it closed just three points lower. Four of the eleven sectors were positive. Tech stocks for the real standout today and the dollars doing extremely well. Still it's rising. It's just under sixty five US cents.
Speaker 2: Is that because I guess the peak time for people to go overseason holidays for those that you know want to go on over this holiday can afford it is probably the end of the year.
Speaker 28: Well, unless you want. I got to Europe in summer, which is what people do at the moment, don't they you know, came to Italy and France, all of those people who've sworn off.
Speaker 2: If you can get some time off, yes, if you can get some time off. So yeah, maybe this is a good time to travel the moment streaming services and we touched on the cinema this week. While they're taking up the fight to cinema, they're also banking on children's films.
Speaker 28: Yeah, kids' movies are making a motza for the film studios and Lilo and Stitch.
Speaker 2: You know, if you've seen that, I've seen I haven't seen the movie. I've seen the primos for it.
Speaker 28: Well, it's Disney's live action film and it was made for one hundred million US dollars. It's on track to make one and a half billion dollars, so a massive payday at the box office around the world. And it's just the latest in movies targeting the under eighteens that are doing extremely well. The Minecraft movie, the critics hated it, but it grows nine hundred and forty eight million dollars. It cost one hundred and fifty million to make Moana two and Inside Out too as well, both hugely successful, making more than a billion dollars globally, and this is where a lot of the dollars are coming in because the cinemas know, the movie houses know that if they can get the kids attracted to come along, the parents will go to It's a family event. It's a guaranteed way of getting bums on seats in the cinema. So with returns like that, expect more kids movies.
Speaker 2: To be made, and then the Maltesers and the chop the rest of the popcorn, all.
Speaker 11: The rest of it.
Speaker 28: I'm sort of getting out of the age group now. Well, my youngest is still nine, so we still go to see a lot of these films. But yeah, every school holidays, I'm there front and center. I have been for a long time watching all of the new release of kids movies, and a lot of them are fantastic as well. For adults.
Speaker 2: Well, John Stanley's become a massive Formula one fan off the whole Netflix Drive to Survive. I'm taking him to the Formula one movie in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Fantastic.
Speaker 2: We're going to go on the big screen. That'll be. We're going to do a listener competition, maybe do a listener promo as well have decided we were going to do that. Yet I think John's very keen to do that.
Speaker 28: It's some friends to go along with you throw roll the malts.
Speaker 2: It's actually going to be really The Formula one movie's gonna be really big. It's going to start is starring Brad Pitt and it was actually filmed during Formula One races. They actually set up a pit in the garard of the races throughout last couple of years. It's going to be quite quite realistic.
Speaker 28: Yeah, and after the success of the Netflix series, there'll be lots of people wanting to go along.
Speaker 2: That is why they're doing a debil here from seven o'clock tonight. Thank you Money News from.
Speaker 6: Seven on Sydney Now. A weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather. Nrima Insurance a help company.
Speaker 2: Fourteen degrees at the moment on the coast. I've got to say it's not as chilly as it could be, given how cold it was to start the day. It's eleven degrees across much of the western suburbs. It should remain drive this evening. The forecast for tomorrow are partly cloudy day eighteen degrees looking her head towards the weekend. What's the weekend looking like? Mostly sunny on Saturday, which is good, nineteen degrees, partly cloudy on Sunday and nineteen degrees.
Speaker 6: You want to know what's happening in Sydney, Stay tuned to Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on to.
Speaker 2: Gimb We have a special guest, Yes to talk sport. Mark guyra Is back.
Speaker 8: Hello, MG, Hello buddy, how are you may I'm miss shirt mate?
Speaker 2: How are you? I know I've been joking a bit about Manfley, but I know you've been knocked around a bit.
Speaker 8: I have been knocked around a bit made.
Speaker 5: I've had a torrid week, had a bit of influenza A which I thought it might have been COVID to start with, but I had a COVID testament was negative. So yeah, mate, I've just been basically convalescing in bed and my wife Meigs has been looking after me and my mum come down today to jump on board and help help with the chicken noodle soup. But all good, buddy, Big game tonight in the footy.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to years before we talk about the foota tonight. See I'm accused of it of not handling illness as well as the women in my house, my daughters and my wife. You reckon, that's actually right, we're a bit more.
Speaker 5: I think it's I think it's one hundred percent accurate. I think it's one hundred percent. I think us man our horses somewhere that comes to illness. So I think we put it on and we take it for everything it's got.
Speaker 2: Is that just because we don't go through childbirth, so we really don't.
Speaker 8: Know really well, I think it's got something to do with that.
Speaker 5: I think that the female race is a lot tougher than we are at times, and I think especially when it's a there's a bit of a sniffle of the nose, we kind of we take it to the oscar proportions and go, I want to, I want to I want to meddle for that because I'm really crooked.
Speaker 8: So he's helped me out ployees.
Speaker 5: But yeah, look it's look, I would say one thing, I did get the flu shot, So I'm pretty glad that I got that because I could imagine how quick I might have been if I hadn't.
Speaker 8: Got the flu shot.
Speaker 5: Clinton, So if you're still thinking about not getting it get the flu shot this winter because it will help you profoundly.
Speaker 2: Let's talk some footy. Newcastle up against Manley tonight. This one's been played in Newcastle.
Speaker 5: Mate's look, it's around fourteen, already wrapped around fourteen in a year, just after halfway, and Newcastle Marley tonight appears to have more at stake than the two points, because it would appear that from the Maroon's camp in origin the DC Daily Cherry Evans for Manley and Kylen Ponger for Newcastle need massive games tonight to keep their origin spots. A game two in Perth, it suggested that they're looking at the Hammer to put him at back Hamsi Fido Fido fullback. Reck Walsh comes back. DC, on the other hand, is facing after a good game last week. He's facing some heat from Tommy Didon who is And I suppose of the reluctance of Billy Slater to endorse DC even as far as three or four days ago, made people kind of one day is he still in the frame. So look, personally, I think Bailey Sherivans is the man for the job. I think that you know that first game they were just blown away by a better team and I think they will come back bigger and better in Perth, but there is some pressure on them tonight. I think that mainly will prevail tonight because they've got a host of players out in Newcastle, they're injured lists something like something from Mash So look at you. I think mainly tonight in a probably thirteen plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think mainly a win as well, looks like pretty much confirmed almost. I think the confirmation may will come tomorrow. Malmaninge to be the next Perth Bears coach, which means who's going to be the Kangaroo's coach.
Speaker 5: Well, that's that's the sixty four thousand dollars question of Brad Feller's name has been mentioned, Cameron Smith's name has been mentioned. I say, why don't you send both of them as coaches? As co coaches, you know you've got usually there's a lot of when you go away on camp, and I've done this on the Kangaroo tour. You've got a new South Wales coach which was Bob Fulton and the Coinsland aren't happy with that. And likewise, when malmon Inger's been coached, I suppose a lot of news Arth Welshman get the NAIs out of joint because they seem to favor their state, which is which is.
Speaker 8: I don't mind that.
Speaker 5: But if you take a Brad Feidler and a Kareron Smith as your co coaches, I think that would be fantastic.
Speaker 8: For the for the Australian team. I think.
Speaker 5: You have both both camps being appeased and you'd have two guys who are both worn in the jersey with pride, and I think Camera Smith hasn't coached before. Brad Fielder's obviously coached a bit of club foot, but mostly into hath Whales. I think it'd be great to put their heads together and take them on this in the season Ashes tour in October.
Speaker 8: And November over to France and England would be great for him.
Speaker 2: M Joe was having listened to your old coach Gus Good on his six Tackles with Gus podcast with Matt Thompson from the CCT and he was telling and Matt asked Gus about the prospect of Freddie being the Kangaroo's coach and Gus told the story of Freddy's first Kangaroo tour was when Bozo Fulton was the coach and they sent Freddy along to go and get experienced if he wasn't going to play in the test matches. Anyway, Freddy had just signed the new contract with the Panthers and in the deal Freddie wanted more money than Gus wanted to play, right, So they came up with a deal. Okay, if you ever go on a rep side, we'll cover your tab for your mini bar. And Gus tells the story that Well, Freddy made full use of that on the Kangaroo tour. It seems he entertained the whole team and the whole of England in his hotel room. Have you got any info about that?
Speaker 5: Well, I was on that Kangaroo tour right, What happened, Well I happened. All I know is that we got wade. Every Monday, we got wade. As far as you know how traveling on that Monday's brother would be gain missing. So Brad went away. Bradfield went away eighty eight kilos. On arrival back to Penrith for our ninety one pre season, he was one hundred and five hundred and four.
Speaker 2: He went to eighty eight to one hundred and four.
Speaker 8: He put on about or four a kilos on the Keg group too.
Speaker 2: So did you go into his room and enjoy the mini bar?
Speaker 13: Two?
Speaker 10: Ah?
Speaker 8: He was living lar, he was living large. What about MG restaurant?
Speaker 5: Ma, I was look, I actually here we go talking about sicknas. I got tonsolitis for the first two weeks on the Kangaroo to Us. So I sat in my bed for two weeks.
Speaker 8: Oh mate, I know, but look for kangaroos too.
Speaker 5: I turned twenty two. From the Kangaroo to I was in France. We met Kevin Costner. It was just a fantastic trip. Three months of playing footy and because I was in the EMUs which the Mews were the midweek team. We kind of played on Wednesday night.
Speaker 8: Mid week and then we'd have a drink on Wednesday night, have a drink.
Speaker 5: On Fesday night, have a drink on Friday night, train Saturday, and then go to the Big Boys game on Sunday and then be there kind of board boys and then have a drink with them and train Mondays.
Speaker 2: You're going for three months and you still went through undefeated. I said, I was one of the tragic sEMG. I was just a kid, but I'd stay up and I'd put my alarm on it and I watched the Kangaroos play Wiggin or Warrington or one of those teams. Hey, we're almost out of time. Craig Bellamy, did they confirming he's going to play. He's going to coach for the Storm yet again. Twenty fourth season next year, twenty four years in one job. You reckon. Anyone can match that.
Speaker 8: He's look at massive coup.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's fantastic for Melbourne Storm, but it's also fantastic for the game because you're right, the sixty five year old Bellamy, he'll catch his twenty fourth consecutive season. That's five hundred and eighty eight games, twenty one final series, five Grand Finals. Obviously two of them have been stripped, but that you know, that's not worry about that. Six minor premierships. This guy is a winner. Look at just look, just have to look what he did subtly in the South Wales just recently with Lori Dally and Lorry Daily.
Speaker 8: Well done for you because you kind of put your ego aside.
Speaker 5: And you said I want Craig Bellamy encampered me because he's the best coach in the land at the moment and I want some of his wisdom to rub off on me.
Speaker 8: And so that was a very un question. Jack Son one.
Speaker 5: On the Melbourne One on Craig Bellamy, two great organizations.
Speaker 2: Glad you're back. MG. We'll talk tomorrow.
Speaker 8: So everybody, I miss job, see you tomorrow, like go out, time to.
Speaker 11: Expand your minds? Do you maybe agin your questioning.
Speaker 1: On Sydney Now asked his questions and.
Speaker 2: His question is Patentry, I know how you are.
Speaker 1: And as the question get right. Clinton's Quick Quiz.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've got a cracking price to give away, as we've been doing this week thanks to Winston with a y Winston Blinds twenty five percent of murdorized blinds, curtains and awnings Winston dot com dot Ay, we've got a five hundred dollars Winston voucher on the line this afternoon. In the quiz, first contesters today is going to be Leslie. Hello, Leslie, Hey, Leslie, you're thirty seconds arts now, how many minutes in an hour and a half? Did you say? Ninety? There? Leslie? I said you've got that right. The twenty twenty five ashes being played in Australia or England. England, No, it's in Australia.
Speaker 18: Here.
Speaker 2: What was the first animal to be cloned? What top of animal?
Speaker 27: A monkey?
Speaker 2: No, it was a sheep? Who was the prime minister after poor Keaty. You can go, go, go on. It's John Howard's John Howard. Leslie, Look, you've got one. Probably not the best performance you've ever come up with, Leslie, but stay on there. You might have a chance. Luke, you got to beat one, Okay, Yeah, let's do it. Africa, Georgie, Porgy and Rosanna are songs by which band? Correct? Who famously wrote Charlie in the Chocolate Factory? Ronald Dahlei Graff was a legend in which sport? Correct? And what does the NFL stand for.
Speaker 15: A fall?
Speaker 2: Correct? You finishing on three? Well done, Lurk, you've done it before time as well. Congratulations mate. We're going to send you at a five hundred dollars Winston with a y voucher twenty five percent of motorized blinds, curtains, awnings the works Winston dot com dot au. Do you remember that song nineteen eighty five take on Me from Aha? The sad news today that the lead singer of Aarha has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He's sixty five and his father is in his nineties and he's taking a bit of inspiration from his dad and says, look, I'm just going to do with it as it comes, but I reckon when it comes to eighties music, this may be one of the greatest songs. And if you've ever seen the video clip for it, log onto YouTube to night Aha, take on meat, It's a cracker.
Speaker 6: And now a preview of what's coming up on Wide World of Sports for the Serrato successor, the turbo charged Kia K four kias on you small Sedan GT Line very unto available Now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 2: Adam Halls wild Water Sports after the six o'clock news In a big game of footy tonight with many in the Knights playing.
Speaker 14: Yeah, indeed, Clinton brings back some great memories, doesn't it. Ninety ninety seven Darren Albert whizzing over for the Knights to give them their first premiership. We've got Jonathan Thurson coming onto preview the big game there. They need to win the Knights badly.
Speaker 2: And at home they usually grow a leg at home, but you can't tip the Knights with any confidence at the moment.
Speaker 14: Now merely bounced back to form against Bronco last week. Daly Cherry Evans will be up for another big game with selections for Origin just around the corner. Will he keep you spot? That's going to be a big focus tonight. We'll also talk about the who's going to coach the Kangaroos. That job is going to become available very shortly for Freddi, our man Freddie, He's going to get it. Brody Grundy from the Swans will join me. They're looking to redeem themselves against Richmond after that horror show against Adelaide and Robbie Slater will come on the Socker Ru's Legend to talk about the soccer US game tonight against.
Speaker 1: Japan in Perth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's at not nine o'clock out to on this Gusts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could be on their way to the World Cup.
Speaker 2: So that's a critical game, isn't it? You win this we're going yeah, just about pretty much. Hawsey with why would have sports coming up from six o'clock tonight, dev Night Money News from seven, John Stanley taking you through the night. Don't forget my man Phill O'Neil overnight before Ben Forder with our breakfast program. Thank you for your company on a very busy Thursday afternoon. That's Sydney now,