Speaker 1: On two GB at network stations. This is afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into it Friday. Thank you for your company. We are at the end of a working week and a lot of people probably not working today because they'll be taking advantage of a potential extra long weekend with Monday being the King's Birthday public holiday. All right, one three, one eight seven three the number If you want to join us. You can send us a text if you like, zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three, and there is always email. Thank you to those that always do right that way t GB dot com. Click on the feedback icon. In just a moment, I'll try to get my head around this whole Elon muskveed Donald Trump spat. It is spiraling very very quickly out of control. There will only be one winner in the short term, and that'll be the president. Money can buy you so much, but raw power, and that's what's inherent in the title of the President of the United States is a power that money really can't buy. So Trump will win this, but he will be damaged along the way. But there are bigger questions that need to be answered and asked and will never to do that in our conversation at a moment Adam Crichton later this hour. I always enjoy speaking with Adam very bright Man. He's now the senior Fellow and chief Economist at the Institute of Public Affairs. Mind you, he was The Australian's Washington correspondent for a while, so I might ask him his take on the whole Trump Musk thing as well. But I obstensively want to get him on today to talk about immigration policy. He had a very good piece in one of the newspapers, it may have been The Australian Today, on immigration and he makes the point that the policy is not serving Australia. Now, this is a very important point that he is making, because we keep being told by all of those in a position of power that the immigration policy is built off skilled migration and that without it the Australian economy would be poorer and all the rest of it. Now, there's no doubt if you stopped immigration tomory morrow, there would be a cataclysmic impact on the economy, no doubt about it. So you can't do that. But the numbers we're being bringing in are unsustainable and there's no doubt that certain sectors of the economy are getting a wonderful net benefit, but perhaps that is not flowing through to the economy overall. So you know, the education sect, for example, doing very very well out of short term residency visas, student visas and the like. Now a lot of these people are coming here not so much to study. They're using study is the trojan horse, the catalyst to end up getting permanent residents in citizenship. That's their goal. Now, I guess that's a ringing endorsement of modern Australia. People are willing to go through all sorts of leaps and hoops and pay a lot of money to become ultimately an Australian citizen like you Uri. That reflects very well on us and it blows out of the water of this argument from some of the idiots out there that we're just a sort of a backwater in the South Pacific full of a bunch of white, red neck racists. I would have wanted to join that club. So there goes that argument right there. But we do, I think, have a responsibility to ask whether the system overall is serving the nation's best interest. Adam's come to the conclusion that it is not, and I was talking about that later. There's our I know many of you have reached that same conclusion. I've seen your text messages. After one o'clock, in a slight change of pace, we have the OZ Feline Fair coming to Sydney this weekend. A lot of cats and a lot of cat owners and a lot of people that love cats and all the rest of it descending on the ICC. I think it is down here at Darling Harbor. I'll be joined by an American who's one of the world's leading and most renowned judges in the world of cats, Steven Reserve. He's here to be part of the judging panel, and he and his team are behind these fairs and they've done i think seventy around the world in the last three years. Big business, putty tats, big business. There's a lot of them. Not on Kangaroo Island anymore. That's a different story now. Alice will be here for the Domain Real Estate Show later on and after two o'clock for Friday Food. The focus is on bread. I was just speaking there with Mark Levy. I mean I sort of rate myself as a reasonable baker. I can handle myself when it comes to adding the flour and the sugar and the eggs and whatnot. But when it comes to making bread, hopeless. And I've tried a few times. Even one point, we bought the bread maker, the one that Aldi was selling, and followed the instructions and did this and did that, and put the currants in to make the fruit loaf at the right time through the little hatch, and I said, the end product resembled something to come off the production light of brickworks more than it would a baker's delight. Tried it again, not much better. Okay, anyway, So someone else's got the bread machine, Now, good luck to them. I hope they're having more success than I am. But any of you there must be out there, budding bakers, the home bakers. There's nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread in a house, particularly in these colder days. If there's someone that knows how to make a good sour dough or a high top loaf or whatever it is, and they stick the dough in the oven after it's proved and risen and done all of this, and then it bakes, the smell is intoxicating, and actually, speaking of real estate. I think that's one of the old tricks, isn't it. You get a whole bowl of green apples and you stick it on the kitchen bench because that looks nice or something, and you stick a raw loaf of bread in the oven and let it bake, and just let that smell infuse the house and the people coming to the open for inspection or the auction. So I like that smell. Whether they're then going to put their hand in their pocket a little more deeply, I don't know, but it can't hurt anyway. If you've got a couple of tricks to making homemade bread, I'd love to hear from you, But we'll speak to Barry Jones. He's the co founder of Missus Jones, the Baker. They certainly know what they're doing after two o'clock for Friday food. Of course, any breaking us, any situation on the roads will bring it your way as well. And you're our eyes and ears, so you keep us up to date with what's happening out there in the big city. We call Sydney one three one eight seven three is the number. It is, sixteen past twelve. Well, look open any news site today and the top story will be without exception, the war of words that's broken out between Elon Musk and Donald Trump, and many have been quick to say it was always going to come to this, But now that it's actually happening, boy, it threatens to get very messy, very fast. Now. Musk on X, Trump on truth Social both have been duking it out in a flurry of messages and it's escalating like a damn wall with a crack about to completely give way and obviously flood everything around it that's already flooding the headlines. Musk claims that Trump is named in the Epstein files he wants him impeached. Trump counterclaims that Musk is just dirty on him because he's about to remove the electric vehicle mandate which helped make Tesla rich. Now Steve Bannon's even back, He's back on the scene calling for Musk to deported. Meanwhile, Tesla's share price has taken another walloping, I think, dropping something like sixteen percent on Wall Street overnight, and now Musk is threatening to decommission his SpaceX drag and spacecraft. They're the ones that ferry the cargo to the International Space Station for the US. Trump, meanwhile, as counter threatening to revoke all of Musk's government contracts. So how did it come to this? How did the President and his so called first buddy, the genius Ceylon, go from margar bosom buddies to enemies. Well, I'm sure in reality there's a rather complicated truth behind it all, but on face value, it seems the answer lies in just four words, the Big Beautiful Bill. Now. Three days ago, Musk took to social media to publicly distance himself from Trump's signature economic and tax policy. The Big Beautiful Bill, he said, would be a massive, outrageous, pork filled spendethon that he concluded would be a quote unquote, disgusting abomination. The following day, no doubt, buoyed by the enthusiasm with which the media reported the first signs of the Musk Trump fallout, he doubled down, writing, quote, America is in the fast lane to debt slavery. Call your senator, call your congressman. Bankrupting America is not okay. Now. By June five, Trump obviously had to respond, but he did so in a manner that was actually far removed from his usual bombastic style. He simply said, and he's in the Oval Office. I'm very disappointed because Elon knew the inner workings of the bill. He knew it better than almost anybody sitting here. He knew everything about it. He had no problem with it, But all of a sudden he had a problem. Well later that day, in fact, twelve twenty five p m. To be precise, Musk responded, denying the bill was ever shown to him, and then, obviously brewing in anger, pivoted the attacks to the personal stuff that we've seen ever since, claiming Trump would never have won the election without him, and the tit for tat between the two most powerful men in the world went back and forth until Musk, in his words, decided it was time to drop the really big bomb two forty nine pm US East Coast time, writing quote, Donald Trump is in the Epstein files. That is the real reason they have not been made public. Have a nice day, d JT. Donald J. Trump. Well, what comes next is anyone's guess. But suffice to say, at a time where the global geopolitical situation is as precarious as it is, the only winners from a situation where the American president is consumed by the incoming missiles of his former confidant set in the presidential palaces of China, Russia and Iran. Looking at the stock market, it's pretty clear who the big traders reckon will prevail in the White House arm wrestle between Trump and Musk. But whether Trump can then go on to win the bigger battles, the ones on the world stage, having already been wounded by what's already been zed, let alone what's to come from a clearly disgruntled Musk, Well, that remains uncertain. It'll also be fascinating to see if the liber will elite start to once again embrace Muskers of visionary rather than the devil now that he's busy kicking Trump in the shins? Will they start buying his cars again? Will they start approving his battery factories in the outskirts of say Adelaide again? Will they now stop burning Tesla dealerships to the ground and end their wave of domestic terrorism against his assets? Watch this space. And of course, while all of this is going on, actual important stuff is happening in the White House that, if handled deftly, will benefit the entire Western hemisphere. For example, Trump and g of China held a long phone call just yesterday around the issue of tariffs as well as the war in Ukraine. But of course that sort of stuff won't register in the world's media as everyone allow themselves to get swept up in the soap opera between the world's richest man and the world's most powerful man. But as this modern day tragedy goes through its inevitable acts and verses, hopefully a few in the media will take the time to remove themselves from the personalities, the yearg and the scandal and instead examine the story behind the official catalyst for all of it, namely this big, beautiful bill, because that's the real story here, and it transcends Musk, and it transcends Trump. For what it's worth, I think Musk is actually right to question the wisdom of this legislation as it currently stands now. The way he's going about it is insane, But as the Parliamentary Budget Office in America estimates, it will add something like two point three trillion US dollars to America's deficits over the next decade. Now Trump's team, they say the tariffs will offset that by raising a similar amount for the treasury, but of course that's far from guaranteed. Now. Trump set up DOGE with Musk as its head for a reason. He knew America's fiscal position was unsustainable. As we've said many times before, America's federal debt as are staggering thirty three trillion US dollars and rising. They're running annual deficits close to six percent of GDP. I mean, it's estimated the work of DOGE clawed back something like one hundred and seventy five billion, but with interest repayments now greater than the defense budget, clearly much more has to happen. And there is a genuine fear among economic conservatives that the Trump plan will fail to stimulate enough additional growth to justify its cost to the bottom line. And the fundamentals of that debate are actually playing out right across the world, with national and even here state governments now struggling to balance the books whilst undergrowing pressure from voters to cut taxes at the same time funding every welfare and infrastructure project under the sun. Put simply, you can only stretch the elastic band so far before it eventually snaps. I've just been reminded by the way we have We've got to do guess the grunt at some point today, because we've got that family pass to give away to Tarrongazoo. Yesterday, of course, Tarongo had their Giving Day and that went very very well, raising money for brand new Toronngo Wildlife Hospital. It's going to do wonderful work. Of course, you can donate to Torontgo Indy Day if you like, Just go to give dot Tarongo, dot org, dot au. Now a lot of text messages coming through it one three one eight seven three for the open line zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Edwards says, the US dead is thirty six point nine to four trillion. Well, that's not what i've seen. I've seen it at thirty What did I say? Thirty three? But I suppose if you add this year's budget deficit, it will get to about thirty six. So I mean, give will take a couple of trillion. But what's that between friends when you're already that far gone. Steve makes the valid point that the two trillion regarding the tariffs will largely come from American consumers because they will be paying more for a product that otherwise would have been cheaper without the tariffs. Now that's one way you can raise revenue, but that doesn't necessarily go to the TE treasury. That might just go to the company, but the company then has to send that to the US Treasury, so the company effectively becomes a middleman. But Steven's quite right. The money will largely come out of the pocket of American consumers, which in essence is a tax hike on the consumer. So all of this talk about oh, well, we'll just do the big beautiful bill over here, and yeah, there's going to be an additional two points something trillion to the budget bottom line debt, but will offset that by these tariffs which are going to wallop the foreign countries. It doesn't always work. It doesn't really work that way at all, And I suppose this is what got Musks back up. But as I say, there's ways and means about having a falling out with someone that you've respected or worked with. Taking it online is never the way to do it. But to do it in this fashion and then to raise Epstein and all that's just crazy. That is really stupid of Musk Because, as we discussed a while ago, when there was talk about the JFK files had been released, and I think the Martin Luther King junior file would be released. Others were saying, well, look, while you're out at Pambondi and Donald Trump, release the Epstein file. And the White House made the valid point that you can't just dump the Epstein file out there, because one it's particularly contemporaneous. The others, most of the people named will be dead, whether they are innocent or involved in anything. The Epstein file will have all sorts of names mentioned. Trump's name most probably is in there because he had an association with Epstein here or there. So you know, a lot of people's name will be mentioned. That's not to say they were doing anything wrong, illegal criminal or ne Fario's but they may have been a business associate of Epstein. They may have had a financial arrangement with Epstein. They may have been to his house for dinner once or twice, but nothing else. So to just sort of, you know, dump it all out there declassified, would be to besmirch the reputations and names of a lot of innocent people, whilst at the same time, yeah, highlighting who may allegedly have been involved in horrible things. But you can't do that. You just can't do it that way. And so this suggestion of Musk sort of wink wink, nudge nudge, is really a really silly thing to do. But I mean, as I said, whilst the world fixates on this, the other actually really big issues that do affect all of us still need to be attended to. And the White House has been through their proxies very heavily negotiating with Iran to try to do something about Iran's uranium enrichment program. Now that would be in everyone's interest if they can get that sorted. Now, they've been speaking with G of China in the last twenty four hours around tariffs and Russia and other big issues. We need that relationship stabilized. But of course you're not going to hear much about that in the next twenty four to forty eight hours at the very earliest. It'll all be about the bromance that's over and the increasing incendry bombs lobbed well, not so much from both sides, particularly from Musk at this stage, and he's coming across rather unstable. I would have to say one three, one eight seven three the open line number. Now, while all of that goes on, the real world keeps revolving there's a story that popped up in the News Limited papers this morning about a cargo ship carrying about three thousand cars. It's been abandoned in the Pacific Ocean and left to burn. But these cars I believe are electric vehicles. The Morning Midas that's the name of the vessel, says he was carrying around eight hundred electric vehicles from China. They are en route to Mexico when it caught fire about four hundred and fifty kilometers south of Alaska now. The US Coast Guard Alaska Division was called to the scene of the unfolding disaster by a distress call at about three point fifteen pm Tuesday local time, and first witnessed smoke coming from the deck of the vessel, where the evs was said to be stowed. I don't know how they're going to put this out. The crew of the Morning Midas were unable to get the fire under control, and in consultation with the Coastguard, decided to abandon ship. All twenty two sailors have been taken away safely. But the incident is underlined, as it says here the safety issues with transporting electric vehicles whose lithium ion batteries can catch fire and are very hard to put out. Sometimes these things can burn for up to two weeks. The fiber gay know all about this now. A rear admiral who was asked about all of this said, is the search and rescue portion of our response concludes. Our crews are working closely with the vessel's parent company, which is Zodiac Maritime, to determine the disposition of the vessel. We're grateful for the selfless actions of the three nearby vessels who assisted in the response, and the crew of the motor vessel Costco Hellas who helped save twenty two lives. This is a forty six point eight forty six eight thousand, I should say ton ship the morning Midas, and it flies under a Liberian flag built in China. According to the Seattle Times, it left the Chinese port of yan Thai on May the sixth, and it was en route to Lazaro Cardenis in Mexico. It's not going to make its final destination one three one eight seven three more after this, Okay, it's twenty three minutes to one one three one eight seven three. Thanks for all the text messages. We'll get through those in due course, although I just want to catch up with Adam Crichton because earlier this week the ABS released our latest GDP figures. We brought those to you when they came through, and the numbers were concerning we are back in a per capita recession. In fact, GDP per capita has gone backwards for nine of the past eleven quarters. And as for productivity, that's no better. In the December and March quarters, productivity was flat. In fact, in the year to March productivity down one percent. So really as a nation, we're doing less and we're working less productively, and yet more and more people are getting paid more go work that out. Nonetheless, it was interesting to read a piece by Adam Crichton in The Australian today because unemployment it remains low. Immigration seems to be what's propping up the national GDP figures, But you put it all together, it does seem individually we are not necessarily benefiting in a net sense from this tidal wave of humanity which has been allowed to come in in the last three or so years. But really it's on the back of the decade and a half of very big and strong immigration numbers. Now Adam Crichton in the past was a big Australia guy, but he's I guess written today to an extent, Mayor Culp is not right, but a qualified statement on this saying, look, maybe I got this one a bit wrong, because now you look at the numbers and this isn't working in our interests, in the national interest or the individual interests. And that's his conclusion, and I think many of you share that conclusion. Let's bring Adam in because it's always wonderful to be able to pick his brain. Of course, Adam these days is well. He used to be with the yours. He used to be the Washington correspondent there, so I'll ask him about Trumpet muscut a second. But he's now the senior Fellow and chief economist at the IPA. Adam Crichton, Good.
Speaker 3: Afternoon, Good afternoon, Michael.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I think I'm right in saying what I said, Arda. You were a big Australia guy, but now the hypothesis has been allowed to run its course, you'll changing tech.
Speaker 3: Yes, Look, I mean if you go back, you know, to the nineteenth century, one of Australians thought that the population of Australia one day would be one hundred million, and you know, in fairness that you know, the continent probably could carry that many people. But just back to that debate, Yes, you know I was big Australia because I hope that the sort of immigrants that we'd be bringing in would integrate easily, would be skilled, would add value to the country. But clearly since twenty eighteen, you know when I argued that things have changed a lot, and the system is clearly out of control where we're you know, we're far from bringing in the people that we need. I mean a point I made in that column was this extraordinary fact that you know, we're meant to be having a home building boom in this country, but we're hardly bringing in any trades them to do the work. So there's I think there's two hundred and five thousand people in Australia foreigners in Australia on temporary skill visas, and only three percent of those have any skills in home building trades, which is just that's just crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean about four thousand out of two hundred and five thousand.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's right, that's all so, and that's been at that ratio about three percent for the last decade. So we can't just blame the Labor Party. We have to blame both sides of politics. They're just not bringing in the sort of skills that we need to achieve these these homebuilding goals. And of course that's just one category of visa. I mean, we've got two and a half million people in Australia, so almost ten percent of the population here is on some sort of temporary visa. That's extraordinary to me.
Speaker 2: Well it is. Now. See whenever I speak, not when you speak to the business lobbies and the bigger end of town, and they make genuine cases about certain industrial relations policies, which so that's why we speak them. But I always raised this issue. I said, look, you know, you guys are always in favor of skilled migration. You assure us that we have skilled migration. We don't just let any old Tom Dick or Harry in. It's all about boosting the economy and meeting the needs of the economy. And yet I say, you look, look at the situation. The skilled shortages don't improve, yet the populations are mushrooming. So what's going on? And they can't explain it.
Speaker 3: To me, Well, look, I think it's largely self interest of big business. I mean, first, the first point is, you know, most big businesses always want a bigger population because they can just sell more stuff. I mean, it's as simple as that. You know, if you're a scale business, you want more customers. So I can understand that from the sexual view of the businesses. And then the other thing, of course is when they bring in all of these workers, it does put down with pressure on wages, There's no question about that. And I've always been very suspicious of the so called skilled shortage argument because you know, what does it really mean. I mean, if there's a shortage, you just pay a higher wage and you attract people into that job or that industry. But of course businesses don't like talking about that. They would rather have the wages low. And I understand that from their point of view. But from a national point of view, from the point of view of Australians who are born here, is that the best situation And I don't think it is.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of the arguments that we see from the universities, from big business, you know, about the importance of gruwing our population, they serve their own sexual interests, but I don't think they're serving a national interest anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, many would agree listening the quote, so as the quotable quote from your piece today was this, you said immigration is no longer serving the interests of Australians, but rather the immigrants who come here and powerful vested interests, including the lines you've just listed and the tertiary education sector that you say benefit mechanically from a larger population. Is this why Australian voters never get asked this question at elections or in a plebasit or anything like that, because the powerful vested interests, including the politicians, know that we want less migration, but they would lose benefits if we were to get our way.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, it's a really interesting question, and there was a lot of discussion of immigration and the lead up to election, but both sides just kind of waved their hands a bit and didn't really promise anything. I think there's there's largely a bipartisan consensus for the two major parties that we that we need very very rapid immigration, and I kind of don't understand why that is. They don't really explain it to the Australian people. They're obsessed with national GDP as opposed to GDP per capita, which is the one where you should be concerned about. And as you said earlier, that's been going backwards for the last three or four years. You know, the pie that you know, the slice of the pie that every Australian is getting is shrinking, and that's the measure we should be looking at. Yeah, I you know, we mentioned the universities and I think you know they are you know, I think, well, they thrive on obviously foreign student fees because they're far greater than the fees that domestic students pay. And those you know, that river of cash, that growing river of cash that they get, that's what pays all these exhaberitted vice chancellor salaries and pro vist tencelor this deputy vice chancellor of that. I mean, it's extraordinarily voted industry now. And I would say, and you know, just just anecdotally, the quality of education at our universities has been forming because of this, because the standards need to go down to you know, because many of the students can't beginish properly, So how can you go to university under those circumstances? And the local students suffer, you know, because everything gets done down and you know, I always put the question, you know, how many of these foreign students would pay these fifty sixty thousand dollars a year fees at University of Sydney, University of Melbourne if they were not allowed to work here at the end.
Speaker 2: Well, not just that, if they weren't allowed to get temporary residency, then permanent resident and then ultimately citizenship. I mean, I don't I don't want to besmirch people because you know, they're doing what I think a lot of us would do if the roles were reversed. But many of them are nothing more than the trojan horse. I mean, they are creating the beachhead for other relatives and the rest of the family to eventually get to Australia. I mean, that's how it works, right, That's why the family stump all this money up so they can go and study some obscure thing down in the back of Tasmania.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 2: It's the end goal, isn't a degree? The end goal is residency.
Speaker 3: Yes, No, Look, I mean I always make a point of, you know, talking to so many of the uber drivers in Melbourne or Indian or Pakistani, And I always ask them, you know, on what visa are you here, and almost always it's some sort of student visa. But they're here to work, really, I mean, you know that's what they tell me. They're doing some English course on the side, but that's just to tick a box. But just back to your earlier point that you know, I've kind of the migrants that come here definitely benefit, there's no question about that. But if you're going to have a nation, if you're going to have a national government, and surely the interest of that government is to serve the voters in that country, not people overseas. So I mean it's a philosophical question, but I would argue that that you know that the Australian should be the first priority and not people from South Asia or or East Asia or wherever.
Speaker 2: Okay, that just with that, Okay, look, I don't disagree, and I mean how could you disagree unless you're some sort of internationalist or something. But you look at the debate. Now we always hear about the cost of cutting migration. That's floated around all the time, and there are genuine measurements there that say, okay, well, if you were to turn off the tap tomorrow. The care economy, the childcare age care, I mean all they just collapse. They'd be disaster. So all of this has to be nuanced and carefully balanced. But equally, there's almost no countervailing commentary by anybody that looks at the cost of the status quo. And you know, everyone paying tolls on all of these motorways, everyone who's now part of Sydney Water, who's going to have their bills close to double if if Sydney Water got their way to build all the additional infrastructure for the new housing, on and on. I mean there are cumulative costs for pump priming the economy with people that are almost never mentioned in the same breath.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know the normal so called solution to all this that the government pays I look, well, you know, will build all this housing supply. But the housing supply that they build is generally generally apartments. They don't have people on a building, and yes, do they not have people to build it. But do Australian families really want to raise their kids in an apartment? I mean I certainly don't, never used to. Certainly I didn't grow up in an apartment. And I know in other countries that's more normal. But you know, one of the special things about Australia I thought we used to be that, you know, families on ordinary incomes could have a three or four bed room house and raise their kids there, whereas governments are effectively saying to them, sorry, you can't do that anymore. Because we're bringing all these people in, you're going to have to live in an apartment. And yes, so that is somewhat concerning.
Speaker 2: Well, it is very concerning, I would argue, Okay, so what do we do about it? Because you raise a philosophical question earlier that probably needs further debate, not that it will get it, but it's why do the political class indulge in this? And as you said, surely the Australian public should be their first priority, not someone else's public overseas. Now, my answer to that would be, are they I don't know, if they're trying to benefit so someone else's public or ours? What they're trying to benefit of their big donors? I mean, isn't that? I mean that's sort of like the corporatized view of politics, rather than the sort of pressing the flesh at the shopping center view of politics. And I wonder if that's what's happened here, that they've got big donors, they've got people that pay for their campaigns and the rest of it. Yeah, and they're the ones they hang out with and signed ten thousand dollars checks to it an overcook piece of stake at some fundraiser with and they're in the year. We're not in the area, but they're in the area saying listen, you know, you know, we've got to have more apartments built. We're going to have this built. We're going to the university go broke unless we keep the Ponzi going. And so they genuflect to them.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, look, I think that's right. I think in Australia big business has a lot of influence over the two major parties, and in the construction industry in particular benefits obviously from rapid immigration and through that, you know, the building unions, the CFWU obviously benefits because they've always got work, they've always got high paid building big high rises. I mean, if you want to be really cynical, which which sometimes I am, there is there's a lot of evidence actually that these are these immigrants when they eventually get residency of citizenship, they vote labor. So if you're you know, that's certainly true of Indians, where there's evidence that I think two to one may tend to vote for CenTra left parties as opposed to center right. And so if you're being cynical and you're the Labor party, it's you know, maybe a good kind of long term strategy to bring in lots of these people. That's a terrible thing to say, but you know that that would be rational for that party to do that, and you know, maybe to some extent that's happening that. Of course, that arguments always made in the US with the Democrats that the reason that they didn't really care so much about the millions of people crossing the border is because they suspected that they would eventually democrat one day. And there's a lot of evidence for that. You know, some Democrats thinkers say it out loud.
Speaker 2: So they do, they don't hide that. Just finally, I did an editorial yesterday on the issue, and you raise this in your piece today. The labor Prime Minister of Britain, Circus Starma, warned that with the pace of migration, and that's really the issue. It's not migration, it's the pace that the UK risked becoming an island of strangers if they don't invest enough time assimilating new arrivals into what it means to be British. I said, to be British doesn't mean you have to be white. To be British is to sign up to a set of values, the same way to be Australian it's to sign up to a set of values. Colored of the skin should be irrelevant. But if we have a lot of people from non Western jurisdictions arrive and those home jurisdictions don't have much in common with the Australian values, a way of life, or political system or legal system whatever, we are making it more difficult. Are we not assimilating en mass into the Australian psyche And that's not good for the migrant and it's not good for the country.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, Look I think that's a good point. You can't blame these migrants who are brought in large numbers forking to their own culture, because that's what we would do in that situation. We do exactly the same thing. But because they are being brought in in such large numbers, and if they're from non English speaking backgrounds, which of course many of them are, then they just keep speaking their own language and they never properly learn English. I mean, I've been struck. I mean I've just moved to South Bank in Melbourne, which is, you know, which is very inner city, and the number of people here who can only speak Chinese has kind of shocks me actually, you know, as I observe it it shops and in various interactions, and you know that's understandable from those Chinese movement to point of view. But there are just so many here that you can function just speaking Chinese. But is that good for Australia long term? I don't you know, I'd say probably not. But I think people are slowly starting to wake up. And just back to Starma. You know what's extraordinary compared to the UK and Australia is, you know, we are seemingly a lot more torrent. Actually, we don't have the level of anger that's brewing over there yet in the UK. And tribute to Australians actually, because we are far further down that path of being an island of strangers, as he put it, than they are. And yet and yet it's over there that they're starting to be this real political pushback, and I think Starmer and the Labor Party there they've looked at the polls. They're saying, you know, they're kind of worried about a wipeout in three years time, and they're changing their rhetoric and they've changed it very starkly. Too.
Speaker 2: Very good to talk, Thank you, Adam. Have a good long week again.
Speaker 3: Michael, Yeah, thanks very much.
Speaker 2: All the best. Bye, By Adam Crichton. Always very interesting to be able to pick Adam's brain, as said Adam, now the senior Fellow and chief Economists at the Institute of Public Affairs five to one. I should have mentioned, by the way, the article in the Odds today by Adam Crichton. It is worth a read. Whether you agree or not doesn't matter. You have a read and you come up with your own conclusions. But it's titled political ineptitude bloated unis fuel immigration chaos. And it's particularly interesting because, as Adam just confirmed there, he used to be of the opinion not that long ago that what we're doing now is a really good thing. But he's changed his mind, and I suspect more and more. People who were part of the Big Australia Lobby but maybe weren't financially benefiting from it, they just thought it was a good thing, are also changing their mind. Now Steve will give us some update, some details. In just a moment. I am getting reports of an accident lane Cove Road and Cox's Road, the intersection of lane Cove Road and Coxes Road at North Ryde and accident. Steve will give us some details coming up there, no doubt. Interesting note here from Lee who says the census is held every five or six years. The last one was held twenty twenty one. Among other matters, info collected during the census is designed to assist with the planning for a future country. What's gone wrong? It's very good question, Lee, Very good news just coming up around the corner. Then we'll catch up with a world renowned cat judge. Yes, Stephen Miserver's here for the inaugural OZ Feline Fair. Look forward to that.
Speaker 1: After one, Now onto GB and Network stations. Back to afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: Seven past one. Thank you for your company. It is Friday and it's pretty cold out there, but it is that time of year, So just stick on a couple of extra layers and you'll be right. One three, one eight seven three the open line number. Of course, we'll get to our cat judge in just a moment. We've got this huge thing. It's massive, the os Feline Fair coming to Sydney. There'll be stacks of people down there, and it's big all over the world. So Sidney's getting its turn this weekend. I'll introduce you to that in just a moment. Now, Susan Lee with two s's, of course, is now the opposition leader. It was always going to be a bit of a problem for her explaining why and this is so trivial, okay, but the truth is that for most people, their interaction with politics is trivial. So Susan was always going to have an issue trying to explain how the extra s got in there. And we know the long standing story was, because I think she said it was, was that she was into new neurology at one point and basically the numbers all lined up if you added the extra s, and there was going to be good fortune and happiness going forward. So she's stuck it in there. So she's on our sister station THREEAW this morning having a big chat about the Liberal Party and it's rebuilt and all of that sort of stuff. And then she was asked, I don't know who was on this morning, but she was asked a lighthearted question about the doubles, just to break the ice. Now, remember in twenty fifteen, there's a profile with a newspaper out here, and she said, I read about this numerology theory that if you add the numbers that match the letter in your name, you can change your personality. And I worked out that if you added an S, I would have an incredibly exciting, interesting life. And okay, so there is right clear as the nose on your face. I believed in neumeurology and that's why I did it. So then she's asked today on THREEAW about this and said something a little different. Susan with two s's Lee says it was something I did during my rebel teenage years, and you know I went through a punk phase in those years and added the extra S. People have been fascinated by the numerology angle, but it's actually not correct. Okay, but you told us it was. It was Tom Elliott this morning. Okay, So Tom's probably sitting there going, I'm sure I read it in the article, So now it's she was what punks do. Apparently punks add extra consonants to their names or somethings. They rebel against the system. So I don't know. As I said, it's so trivial, it's irrelevant. But it's just going to be one of those little things. You just watch this. I'm saying, you just watched this. Over the next three years, be one of those those little things that, like a small bindi in your heel, just keeps making itself known and present all the way through. It's a distraction, it's a nuisance, and there'll be a lot of people out there that think, okay, leading the conservative forces and you're into new mourology. Come not sure? Now again, is that fair on Susan? Probably not. Everybody has beliefs at one point they change those beliefs and you know whatever. But as I say, just watch this space, it's going to be a hindrance for her. Because I'm in the media, I know how it works. If there's one thing that journalists like doing, it's they like asking questions about so little trivial things that sort of personalize the other person that aren't about all the heavy stuff, bogging the listener down in too much detail and minusier. But when those little things aren't. Oh do you like dogs or cats? When they're about you know, why did you change your name? Were you really into all that numerology stuff? You know? Do you believe it that will be a net negative for Susan going forward? Just watch it one three, one eight seven three. Well look in bad news for dog people. Our pussycats are about to be celebrated like never with the oz fee Line Fair coming to town. In fact this weekend. It's Australia's first national cat convention, uniting a passionate community of enthusiasts and breeders and brands to one of the magic of our feeline friends. Now. Some of the cat centric festivities include the vendor Village that's I'm told going to offer an eclectic mix of cat themed products and services. There's also the per Creation's Alley I kid you not, and that gives you the chance to discover artisan, handmade and handcrafted treasures. Of course, there's going to be cat judging going on as well, and for those looking to add a bit of fashion and flare to the weekend. Well, there is the Cosplay Catwalk. It invites attendees to put on their best cat costumes for a chance to win incredible prizes. Now, this is going to be taking place in Sydney down to the Convention Center, I believe. But headlining the event is the globally recognized Cat Judge and also social media sensation Stephen Berserver. And he's on the line with me, Steven afternoon.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Yeah, thanks so much, thanks for having me excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Pleasure. America, of course, is your country of origin?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean originally yet, but I live in Portugal now full time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what's the what's the cat like in Portugal?
Speaker 7: It's Mediterranean Europe, so I mean they take good care of their cats, but they still need a little bit of a little bit more education on Spain and utering, but it's a I mean, they do love their animals there, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now you're behind an entity called Loving Cats Worldwide indeed, and worldwide is the key because over the past two years, I think even the team but LCWW have hosted something like seventy of these events globally, haven't you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's been it's been a mental run. To be honest, I mean it's this is not I mean, well it is now my kind of like second part of my life. But this wasn't the way I intended. I mean I worked in pr and marketing for a long time and I was always a cat judge with a different organization based out of the United States, things differently, But I wanted I wanted to do something, you know, something new or something more engaging. Something It was time to give cats their their time. Yeah, and it was it was I mean whether or not I caught on to the cat craze or it was created by what we're doing. You know, we just we just celebrate the cat, you know, if you're a Persian or if you're a if you're just an orange Margie from your grandmother's backyard. Like we just we just we just do things a little bit differently, Yeah, a little bit more showy, a little bit more entertaining, engaging and educational. Cat shows aren't a new thing. I mean like they've existed in Australia, I mean a hundred over one hundred years and to be fair, like the the Cat the Cat. First cat show took place in London's Crystal Palace just only twelve years after the first dog show, so it's not that far behind. But if you think about it, why is that? Well because cat people are introverts and now here I come along and we're kind of blowing it up again, blowing it up for you.
Speaker 2: Don't You don't strike me as an introvert.
Speaker 7: With yeah, extravated introvert. Maybe is my better is my better way?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 7: But you know, yeah, but it's it's it's a it's a it's it's been a crazy, it's been a crazy. This is only we've only been doing this three years and we're now all over US, Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, Philippines, Taiwan, South America and obviously we had six cities this tour, Sydney finishes it up for me. So I am indeed looking as much as I love Australia and I love the people. I was actually stayed in Sydney last year for two months and I judged for the Australian Association, So Sydney has become kind of my second home and I really do love it here.
Speaker 2: We're very welcome. Do the do the cats vary from country to country? That might be a ridiculous question. But do you tend to see different types of cats more popular in the UK as opposed to Canada, as opposed to the Philippines, or I mean, do you discern these differences.
Speaker 7: You're you're colonized cats, you know, if you think about it, the British short hairs are the cats that originated in the United Kingdom have a pretty heavy presence here in Australia. British short hairs devon rex corner tracks, And I guess that kind of makes sense. But you know I did the last year I was here. I was really and I'm probably the most seasoned, maybe not by age, but by I judged the most in an annual. Yeah, for I always have, you know, I always took about thirty assignments a year and I've judged all over the world. And that's a good question, and it really, it really is interesting. Australia kind of caught me off guard because I was like, oh gosh, it's quarantine. It's an island. The cats are going to be feral, Like I mean, like this is what I thought, Like they're going to be like inbred and like you know what I mean, And like I was like because it's kind of what the UK was, you know for the longest time until they released the quarantine and things have gotten a lot better. But you know, to put it into perspective because you have such intense quarantine laws and importation of animals. You know, if you're going to spend twenty thirty forty thousand dollars getting a cat into the country, you're going to buy the best of the best, do you know what I mean? So like that is that is something that I mean, the quality of the cats is, if not the best or pretty pretty close to the best in the world.
Speaker 2: That's interesting to know. I mean one of your focuses over all of these years of judging, of course, has also been on what goes on behind the scenes, and you're speaking about bringing the best of the best, I mean behind behind all of the cats that we see as a breeding program. And they're good breeders, there are bad breeders, right, So I mean, how do you, as a judge put your name or your voice to encouraging good breeding practices and the sort of the cowboy element getting them out of the industry.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, as a as a judge, you know what I mean? If you want to. I'll answer this in two ways. As a judge. You know, we can only know what we see in front of us, right, I don't know, unfortunately, how this cat is kept at home. I don't know if the cat has been at all the proper scans breed related and you know, and there's a lot of stuff that I mean, ethical breeders can really cut out people don't know, Like I mean, if you want to add a pedigree cat to your life, absolutely, I always say that you should take a rescue as well. I have seven rescues at home, you know. But the and we we we we give the people the questions to ask, like people don't know, like I don't know what you're equivalent to to Craigslist or like you know, whatever you list here like for things for sale or Facebook marketplace like these are always red flags, you know, if they want to bring the cat to a car park, and I mean for you, I mean that's another red flag, like really simple things that we've kind of you know, you you want to go. You want to add that cat to your life for twenty years, so you want to make sure you're doing doing your homework and asking breed specific questions like a main kun has a high probability of heart issues, like you need to ask for the scans of the hearts. They can't one hundred percent eradicate it, but they can do their best. So there's little things like this, which when I do that Loving Count's catwalk, we do a whole like kind of meet the breed's presentation and talk about the health and the history and everything to kind of give people the idea of what to do. But we also we'd also work with every rescue that we can possibly get in the building. And some of the shows in data like in the US where we have a huge show in Dallas that is like eight thousand square meters. It's massive, and we we sometimes have between like thirty and forty rescues represented from all over. So that's another big part. And at Loving Counts like we are the only association in the world as of right now. Yeah, yeah, because it seems everyone likes to he likes to take note, right, but we are the only association in the world that like we we believe that your Orange Maggie or your Tortoiseshell is just as deserving of being gushed over and rewarded just like a fancy white Persian main cooner Bengal. An actually funny story last week in Perth and has never happened before. It's only my three years, but it's never happened before. We have like what we call the overall best in Show, where it's kind of like a mathematical equation and we bring back the number ones of the kitten class, the junior class, the adult class, and the maggie class with the household pets, and the judges vote for an overall best in show like the supreme you know, of that particular show. And last weekend was a like a one year old female run of the male ginger tabby cat named Pumpkin, Like that's never happened.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: And yeah, the people loved it. It's like exploded, like the undercat, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We love well Ina Striylie, we love an onderdog, but we can call.
Speaker 7: It yeah yeah, yeah, for this purpose.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, Sydney June seven and eight, the International Convention Center, that's where it's all going to be taking place. Now. You know they say dog owners come to look like their dogs. Do you do you see a similar phenomenon with cat owners to some of them start to resemble their feeline brind.
Speaker 7: It seems to me like, I mean, I never really, I mean I started to take notice of this over the last few years.
Speaker 2: But you know, you do.
Speaker 7: See like these chunky, chunk British cats, you know, cheshire cat, right, like these big like I call them the rugby players here in Australia, but like sometimes the owners are pretty close, you know.
Speaker 2: Just don't say that to their face, all.
Speaker 7: Right, yeah, indeed, indeed.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, welcome to Sydney. Good luck with all the event. It's going to be a massive do I mean, if you're down at the convention Center, there'll be a lot of humans and a lot of cats. So good luck with that. That's all I can say. And thank you for your time very much.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you very much. Have a good rest of your afternoon, hopefully with you guys.
Speaker 2: There absolutely the world renowned cat judge Stephen Miserve, all right, okay, it's twenty five past one. Thank you for your company. My goodness. He was enthusiastic about cats, wasn't he. One three, one eight seven three the open line number. An interesting point by Tom by the way. Saying that, Stephen said that Katz had been in this country for about one hundred years, so I'd probably more like two hundred, because when you think back, Matthew Flinders took Trim with him on the expeditionary journeys around Australia. Will he did. It's a nice little statue to Trim outside the State Library of New South Wales, of course, one three, one eight seven three. Now we do still have that outstanding family pass to Tarron Gazoo to give away, so we do need someone to try to guess the grunter. I said, this is difficult. I might have to give a clue. But before I do, let's just revisit these beautiful sounds, these decibels of joy that came from Melbourne Park actually a number of years ago. Now, the screaming at the end was Serena Williams, all right, but the grunts earlier. Someone should have just given one of those Caruso products. It would have saved her a lot of trouble. But the grunts earlier, that's who we're after. Now, if you think you know one three one eight seventy three, the family pastor tarn Gazoo coming your way, and interesting, look, I might be able to throw in a bonus price. I can't promise this. I'm just talking out loud here, but this we may be able to do something. Because Jacob, our executive producer, came in earlier today and gave me a rendition of his tennis grunt was very good. It was actually very good. So perhaps the resident grunt a Graham himself, Jacob, could make an appearance at your home or birthday party or whatever you needed, just a little bit of something. Actually, I mean, I have to run that by him, but he doesn't one hell of a grunt, does Jacob. So anyway, I certainly have the Taronga Zoo pass for you. I'll give you a clue as well, because I think we went through every tennis female tennis player that had been born, but to almost every we missed the one that obviously the ads, but every other one that been born since about nineteen oh six yesterday, none of them were right. The name does end, as most tennis player female names do, in Ova. And this lady was born in the Czech Republic, all right, So that gives you a bit of help. She's check. She's a former tennis player now, yes, and like almost everybody there. The surname ends in ov A. So if we can over and out this one as quickly as possible, that would be good. One three, one eight seven three. All right, let's say if you can find a winner. Hello, Dot, Hello, how are you? I'm all right? How are you cool?
Speaker 6: I think I've got the wrong name.
Speaker 3: I was going to say Mary.
Speaker 2: Peace the French girl. No, was a Mary Pierce. How you have a great weekend though, Dot? Thank you for your call. Jennifer. Yes, who is it?
Speaker 3: I believe I've got it wrong too. I thought it might have been Monica Sellers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, if it was Monica Sellers over you would have been closed. But no, not Monica Sellers. It wasn't Monica Sellers. No, So the naming zen Ova she was check what you say? According to Wikipedia, this girl won five lady now five hundred and eighty three thousand, three hundred and ten US dollars in prize money. Not too bad in the scheme of things. Now, what about Noel? Hello? Who was it?
Speaker 5: Billy?
Speaker 2: No? No, it wasn't Billy. I don't think Billy Jenkin was a grunter. I don't. I might be wrong, but it wasn't. No nol calls coming through thick and fast, but we better vet them, just careful. And thank you for the text messages. But no, none of those are correct answers either. All right? Who we got here? Scott? Scott? Who do you think it is?
Speaker 3: I think it's Maria Sharapova.
Speaker 2: No? Was it Maria Sharapova yesterday? And isn't today? Thank you for the called Mike in Adelaide. Who is it Mike pet No? No, not her either, Julia, Who do you think it is?
Speaker 3: How are you hi?
Speaker 2: Julia? I'm good. Who do you do you reckon it is?
Speaker 7: I think it's Anna corner Kova?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I know she could grunt, but it wasn't her. No, thank you, Julia. All the best we've had, Scott, we've had all right. So no, none of those, none of the above, none of yesterday's. I think we might have to for everybody sanity here, have to give another clue. First name Sandra. Sandra is the first name. Surname means in Ova. She pocketed over half a million, or six hundred thousand US prize money in her time. She's check. Does that help? I don't know. We'll find out. No, And the text keep saying, Marie sharrapovit wasn't Maria. We've got Maria on file. We can compare these, but it wasn't her. We'll get to the news in just a moment. We'll find an answer after that. Of course, one three one eight seven three. We'll give away that family pass to Taronga. Zoos I said yesterday. And the reason we're giving that pass away yesterday was the giving day, Taronga Giving Day and the raising of the money. The aim was, of course, to get the money for a brand new Taronga Wildlife Hospital. I think people were very generous. The new hospital will provide expanded surgical, rehabilitation and quarantine facilities to meet the growing demand, and will include a marine recovery center, modern surgical facilities, and intensive care unit and rehab spaces, and a whole stack more. And of course you can, if you feel inclined, you can give a couple of dollars to Tarrongo any day for these good things. Just go to give dot Taronga dot org dot au. Give dot Tarongo dot org dot au. It's gone half past one. Let's get the news. Aeron Good afternoon.
Speaker 9: Good afternoon, Michael Beef Producers are skeptical about the federal government's proposal to relax import restrictions in a bid to get a deal on US tariff's They're worried about biosecurity risks. Format teacher Chris Dawson has failed to overturn his conviction for the sexualist abuse of a female student. It's the second appeal he's lost after challenging his conviction for the murder of wife Lanette. Australian man Robert Peter has been released on bail in Iraq, more than four years after he was taken to prison. He's always denied the charges of deception. And Elon Musk has recorded the second biggest single day loss of personal wealth in the history of Bloomberg's Billionaire Index, amid his fallout with US President Donald Trump. In Sport, the Indiana Pacers have fought back to steel victory from the Oklahoma City Thunder in the opening game with the NBA Finals. Are late two pointer from Tarry's Halliburton gave the Paces a one hundred and eleven to one hundred and ten win. There'll be more news at two o'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 2: Oh weather update.
Speaker 10: We'll be here to help in unexpected weather in our remainsurance a help company.
Speaker 2: It's got to say. People are suggesting on the text lining tennis players. I've never heard of these, just random rames out of the check phone book. I don't know who these we are. Weatherwyse today partly cloudy for Sydney a top of eighteen, are the same for Penrith and Richmond seventeen, the top for paramount of Campbelltown and Liverpool eighteen. Also for Bondai Today tomorrow mostly sunny in Town nineteen the top and then just a possible shower one mill or so afternoon or evening more likely on Sunday top of seventeen. Now Canberra today thirteen and cloudy showers tomorrow maybe five mil of rain top of just eleven, and then the follow up of maybe nine mil of rain on Sunday a top of ten. Tugrenong today thirteen like the nation's capital liftgo well morning frost and thirteen for you as well, cloud conditions eleven for Orange mud you will get to fifteen bathists fourteen thirteen a katomba spring with a little warmer at eighteen. That's all right, partner. Cloudy tomorrow for Lythgo and eleven maybe a mill of rain. Another seven mil potentially on Sunday showers are expected in lyfthgover top of just eight degrees one three one eight seven three. Paul, put us out of our misery.
Speaker 3: Mate, Sandra Zalavova.
Speaker 2: That'll do. That's her. Well done. You'll never forget it ever again, nor will anybody else. That was the one we were after. Well done, mate. Hang on, there a family pass to Taronga Zoo coming your way. Sandra Zalivova. Never heard of it, but that was her. That was her. We've had that checked and triple check. That was definitely her. It is twenty seven minutes to two. We'll take a break when we come back. Real Estate with the people from Domains and now.
Speaker 10: For real Estate Show thanks to Domain, Australia's trusted property marketplace.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it on a Friday afternoon. We always talk real estate because half of the country is focused on real estated about this time of the week as we head into the auctions on the weekend. So let's catch up with the wonderful at the Stalts from Domain. Alice.
Speaker 11: Good afternoon to you, Good afternoon, Michael, great.
Speaker 2: To bear with you, and with you I tell you what the market is absolutely taking off. I think we'll start with the auction results before we look at a property of the week and the rest of it. But it was almost well, it was over thirteen hundred auctions in Sydney last week right.
Speaker 11: Indeed, I think it's fair to say it was kind of steaming, wasn't it. Thirteen hundred and twenty six houses went to auction last weekend. Now what's the most intriguing part for me is the clearance for it hit sixty eight percent. That means, you know, almost three quarters of those selling managed to sell last weekend, which is really quite reflective of I guess that confidence that the markets are increasingly feeling at the moment.
Speaker 2: They are a lot of stock and a lot of say okay, so I should say I forgot to do this off the top. If you are after a property valuation, get in touch with us and we can put you in touch with domain and we'll get you up when we have time each week. But the figures are estimates only, and we've got to emphasize that the estimates are made without any first hand inspections of the properties or their interiors. If anyone listening wants an appraisal on their home, they should obviously make their own independent inquiries as well through accredited independent valuers. Now, with that out of the way, let's catch up with Gary. Gary's at Jordan's Springs in Sydney's West has a very nice property to talk about. Hello, Gary, Hi, Michael, how are you. I'm well, mate, I'm very well. Now Alice is here from domain. Just just tell all us a little about the property, the number of bedrooms, the bathrooms, any renovations, that sort of thing.
Speaker 12: Hi, let's how are you hi?
Speaker 2: Gary?
Speaker 3: Really well?
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 12: I got it like a five hundred almost fifty five and forty h Schameter loot and got a four bedroom with the two bathroom and the two garage, and so I moved in twenty eighteen seventeen age actually, and then I put a ten kilow a planel on top. So there's the ducted air condition with a ten point one yes, and then I put a new fans and all the town life and that recently I done that all the landscaping as well on the property.
Speaker 11: Okay, so it sounds like you've made some clever improvements to the property there. In that case, they're knowing that we know how much value those sort of features can add and garage just quickly. Are you very far from public transport or is it?
Speaker 4: Is it drive to.
Speaker 11: Get to the train station?
Speaker 12: A train station only ten minutes drive and the bus stop is just a two couple of minutes.
Speaker 11: Away, okay, okay? And what about school zones in the area, Gary, Like, do you know what the school zones are like in the area?
Speaker 12: And there, yeah, there you tend like a drive like some of the kids like, there's only five maybe five minutes walk from my place for the public school, and there's another one is coming up, the high the thing is what it's called, the high school is coming up maybe twenty seventeen, Okay, it was only five five minutes before each year, and a lot of others is only within kilometers length, Okay.
Speaker 11: So it sounds very it sounds highly desirable. It's got all that amenity around it that people are really searching for at the moment. So it's not surprising when I'm looking at the media and house price in Jordan Springs at the moment, it's just over nine hundred and eighty eight thousand dollars, Garying that's gone up six point two percent annually, and over the past five years it's gone up forty percent. So it's pretty obvious you can see that people are really wanting to move to those areas with those attributes that you just mentioned there. Now, when we're looking at the price of your house at the moment it's coming in, I'm giving you a range. The lowest point of the range is around nine hundred and sixty thousand dollars and the highest point goes up to just over one point two eight million dollars Garry. So, I guess if you're being ultra conservative, you probably bank lot put somewhere right down the middle. But I think given that you've made those in to the house such as the down lights, the solar panels and that, and also the landscape, and we know how much they can really sort of roop the rewards in a property when it comes to selling, you could probably edge towards more towards that higher end.
Speaker 2: O good on you, Gary. Interesting. I mean, it's a long way from the CBD. You're very close though, to Penrith, and I guess Alice says that New Sydney Western Sydney Airport gets off the ground, a lot of the tech jobs and the business around that air tropolis start to develop. The focal point of Sydney per se from an employment point of view, can shift, and so being a long way from the CBD may not matter as much as it did, say in ten years time, as it does now it did ten years ago.
Speaker 11: I think that's right, Michael, And a lot of the time the opportunity and property comes from people who can kind of believe in the future of what the city is going to evolve to, and particularly in spots like this that people now might think, gosh, it's you know, it's an hour and a half on the on public transport to get to the city. That's so far. But as you're saying that our whole world will eventually change, these little infrastructure and these secondary cities a hubs will bob up all around. So the greatest city that I think will just start thinking about all of this quite differently. And I think you can see, like to me, you know, forty percent growth over the past five years. There are clearly people already migrating there, and I expect that growth to continue over the next five to ten years.
Speaker 2: In particular Jordan Springs a nice planned suburb as well. Good only Gary, well done, thank you for the call. As I said, if you want to have the treatment that Gary got, just get in touch with us one three one eight seven through go to my part of the website, to jib dot com. Just go to my part there there's a form you can fill out. We'll send all that, all those details to domain Allis, will have a look at it, will come up with the formula and get you on and we can discuss the property. Now, jen Z's many of them still living at the parents' house, of course, because they're saving up for their home or their apartment and whatever. There's a trend now emerging there being referred to some of these as stay vestas. So look, I don't know, but I assume that means they're still living at home, but there's spending some money investing in another home and they've got a tenant helping pay down the debt originally, and maybe that's where they'll move into in due course.
Speaker 11: That's exactly right, Michael. We've sort of had investors, we've had rent vestors, and now this next set of wave of that is the stay vest now a lot of the time, these are kind of quite strategically minded adult children who have worked out that basically they can buy a property, get their foot on the ladder, perhaps a bit earlier than what they might would have originally thought they would have had to, and then hopefully for them rent out that property and then building up that wealth while still living in the family home. So I hope they're contributing to that family home and they're not taking a free ride from mum and dad. But what I do like about this, Michael, is that I think it's another way of parents being able to help and support their children. Because of course we've talked a little bit before about the bank of Mum and Dad, and you know how helpful it is to many people, and it goes without saying is incredibly helpful. However, we know there are many people who just simply don't have access to help the children out, despite wanting to do everything they can. But I think allowing them to stay at home, potentially giving them that sort of guidance and assistant sort of you know, through education and that, and supporting their decisions in doing that if this works for them, can actually be a way to get into the market. As you said, they could move in there eventually, or they could end up buying another property. There was an article in the Financial Review and the people who sort of bought multiple property investors while still living at home and enjoy mum and Dad's company. But also I think, you know, hopefully hopefully giving them more confidence in the future when it comes to home ownership.
Speaker 2: So I guess there would be a number of people listening saying, look, I'm just not in a position to be the bank of mum and dad like other relatives or other neighbors or indeed other people we know are. But we want to really help our young ones get that foot on the property ladder because it's often the ticket to wealth. So maybe instead of coughing up one hundred and fifty thousand or whatever people do, we can let them stay at home and maybe it's rent free or whatever goes on. But that's our way of being the bank of mum and dad. It's not with a cash injection, but it's in kind.
Speaker 11: That's exactly what I mean. And I think it's also more responsible for parents to do that, because we do hear of situations where some parents really go to the end of the earth to give their childs a cash deposit, to help them get a cash deposit. Sometimes they look at even selling their own asset. Now the problem with that is, of course the child may be out to them buy their own place, but what happens to the parents, you know? So I think you always have to be thinking about that next step, that next move. So you don't want to cut off your nose despite your face. So I just think doing this is a way to, I guess, think differently about supporting your child without having to try to rustle up the funds of a huge sum. And on your note about paying board or something, Michael, sometimes some people do this and they will charge a nominal amount of board for their child to stay living at home while they're supporting them to invest in this property that the child's obviously the mortgage themselves. And then sometimes that parent just sort of siphons that money away and then perhaps they may give them that money for a rainy day in the future when that child eventually moves out and says, by the way, he's a little a little bit of something to help you spruce up your house or something. So I just like the idea of the optionality around it. But yeah, it's an interesting thing, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is a lot of people are doing it their own way. It is thirteen to two by the way, one three one eight seven three. We'll come back to Alis in just a moment. Just before we do, Mark sent me a text here saying regarding the traffic southbound on the M one the Big Dipper three lanes, absolutely choc a block, he says, traveling in about forty kilometers and our Sydney bound Mark, thank you for that. We'll catch up with our traffic team, Steve, etc. And see what's happening there. But southbound end one the Big Dipper three lanes, according to Mark, choca block about forty k's an hour if you're lucky heading towards Sydney. We'll take a break more real estate after this. We're talking real estate because it's a Friday afternoon with the one full Alis stolts from Domain Alice. Let's have a look at some of the bargains of the week. We need it. We need a bargain or two, and they are out there. Despite the incredible auction results in the interest rate cuts and everything. I think the first one we should look at this too this week actually is and they're Boorkham Hills desirable suburbs. So what have we got here? Sorry, just start again because I hit the wrong button far away. Sorry.
Speaker 11: There was a sale Michael last weeknd in Walkham Hills of this one bedroom flat that's sold at auction. Now it's sold for four hundred and forty thousand dollars. But what I love about this apartment is it was actually on eighty four square meters. Now, if people aren't kind of always quite sure when I talk about square metage, it's actually a really useful thing to get your head around when it comes to understanding room sizes and that. But in my mind, one bedroom, you know, often that could be a living space, dining space in kitchen, and often can be squished into forty five square meters for example. So eighty four square meters is actually very generous in size. And obviously this is a terrific era. It's not far from the city. This comes with a parking spot, a bathroom, and it's got lovely it's kind of quite light field, and it's got a lovely fuel to that, I think with its own balcony, So I think It's a really good example of what you can get, particularly if you wanted to look at one bedroom apartments. Often people are always searching for two bedrooms to get a bargain there. But if you can sort of get a more oversized one bedroom, that could be a clever way of allowing yourself to have a little bit more space. If you can get away with just having one separate bedroom, that's.
Speaker 2: A good point. That's not bad, is it? The eighty four square? Okay? Then number two here on the list too, not just one, but two bargains. It's like that guy that's giving away. But wait, there's more State nights Lakember. Now three hundred and fifty thousand was all you needed to get a one bed, one bath.
Speaker 11: Indeed, it sounds too good to be true, but it actually happened. This is a great thing about property when you look at the evidence out there, it's actually quite compelling, isn't it. This has got a one bed, one bath flat, no parking spot, but it does have open plan living and dining area all tied throughout a generous sized master bedroom. I think it's fair to say, and it's in the Kember, and I think it's another interesting way of thinking, if I really wanted something, I could always live there for a period of time and then potentially rented out in the future, you know, in five years time or something, and then upgrade to something else, or you know, perhaps live there forever and reconfigure it to suit your needs. But I think it's another really interesting example of what you can get if you're willing to make compromise in that location. Obviously the Chemist that a little bit further out, but an interesting result.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, Michael, it is just quickly before you go to the word interesting. It is overused. But there are some interesting little properties popping up here or there. Some of them are old utility sites. Now that I think this was a reformer. It's either for sale or it's sold a former osgrid site, is that right, Yeah.
Speaker 11: No, it's the sale at the moment. Actually, now this is on nearly two hundred fifty square meters is the land size. It's been sold as one bedroom, one bath, But I think, of course this is literally, guys, a utility station, so it's really kind of kind of like a warehouse. Apparently there's a bit of interest in people who love that idea of developing a heritage site or something. Obviously also developers will look at it, but it isn't extraordinary to think that a site that was so sort of functional, practical and incredibly important is now being sold potentially to be converted into something else or have its next iteration or whatever.
Speaker 2: That it's interesting. This isn't the one, but near me, well, actually maybe this is the one, but near me there was an old electrical board two story building and that was recently sold. I don't know if they're going to convert inside to a number of apartments or it was one of those sort of big cavernous gray concrete sprayed efforts. But you know, you watch those shows, the real estate shows and the housing shows, Grand designs, that sort of thing in the UK. I mean often these are the sort of places where water towels and the creative people get in there and they make it work.
Speaker 11: People can do such incredibly clever things. But I think, you know, if you one of those visionary people who think I'm not going to feel inhibited by the fact, you know the windows are quite high up, or you know, they've often got very sort of odd things to them, and particularly these buildings are incredibly beautifully made so there will be heritage on them, so you are constricted in what you can do with them. To the outside will have to usually as it is, I forgot to. I bury the lead on that one, mother, Michael. This one I'm talking about though, is in Newtown, so a really interesting example of being in the inner west of Sydney, a really clearly desirable location on decent landslides of that area for around two million dollars. But I cannot imagine what the fit out would cost to reconfigure it and to bring it into a residential home. I think it'd be pretty substantial. On that one.
Speaker 2: I think I hope your electricity was guaranteed at least. Good on you. Thank you, Alice. We'll catch up same time next week.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Michael.
Speaker 2: Well the best, the wonderful Alie Stelts there from domain are one, three, one, eight, seven three more after the break, all right, we've got the two o'clock news just around the corner. We're doing Friday food after that, and I'll catch up with Barry Jones, the co founder of Missus Jones the Baker. They do wonderful step up Northern Beaches Way and elsewhere, I think, but bread is the topic, and we'll see if we've got any home bread makers out there that are budding bakers that know what they're doing. Some people do make wonderful homemade bread. Not me. I tried a few times, failed every time, gave up. I'll also ask you in the final hour about going to the movies. I mean, we do the entertain and segment with the wonderful Anta Corda every Thursday. In fact, the program that the program that she was the movie she was reviewing, the Midday Movies just finished. It was as bad as she said it was going to be. But Imax, I see, you're going to grow their number of screens in Australia from four to nine by twenty twenty seven. They're banking on the idea that if we do go to the cinemas anymore, we're going to be going for bigger screens and more lifelike imagery and sound than we could get at home. Interesting idea, sort of a niche, But I wonder how many people go to the movies anymore.
Speaker 1: It's now onto GB and network stations. Back to afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: All right into the final hours, getting a little gray and gloomy out there. I just ran up the hall and grab a cup of tea. Looked out the window. I tho, ooh, okay, so the blue sky of this morning is gone. I don't know if we're going to get any rain or not. I don't think it's forecast or anywhere. We'll see one three, one eight seven the three. Not much we can do about it, mind you. With that said, Jacob will find the story for me, because I don't think I have it here. But in Louisiana, if I'm not mistaken, they think that they can ban something that actually doesn't exist. They're just trying to get your hit around that. The legislators in Louisiana's state Congress or parliament or whatever it's called, I believe, have already passed the legislation. I'll have this clarified to ban keem trails. Now, as we know, keem trails do not exist. So when we know I use the royal pronoun, there some people listening do believe it. You write to me, somebody consistently writes to me with this weather saying you know this is all geo engineer. Well no, I don't. Why would you want to continue to have rain over Sydney if you could geo engineer the weather when the drought is in South Australia and Victoria. Okay, so we got that. But the people of Louisiana, the legislators, the wise burghers of that part of the South, believe that keem trails chemical fog off the back of jetliners deliberately being flown in criss cross patterns to then have all of this fall on a population and sort of subdue them into a big stupor. They believe this is real, and so they've pushed a bill through the state House of Representatives, according to the New York Post, to ban the chemtrails that's going to be taking. That takes quite some doing to ban something that isn't real. But anyway, maybe they're just getting ahead of the curve. For those that do believe in keem trails, you will be buying property post haste within somewhere in Louisiana, i'd imagine, to escape their knoxis and toxic fog. Right one three, one eight seven three the open line number. Okay, at ten minutes past two, we'll get to Friday food in just a moment. I wanted to ask you alson. I will do this in just a secon about the movies. Just keep this in mind. Have a think, when was the last time you went to a cinema. When was the last time you went to a cinema to watch a movie? I think to a normal cinema. Maybe it was pre COVID. I think when my wife and I last went to see a movie. Now we've got a little one not so easy to do and all the rest of it. But the last time I went to an imax, I remember, I was back in the school days. And I don't know if it was the big screen the edge up at Katoomber or whether we went down to the Imax here of Darling Harbor, but they were warning people. I think it was up at the edge warning some of the kids. Now listen, you might feel a bit queasy and sick here, because I think we were watching some big video movie where you went over a water fall. It was all about the Blue mountains. You might have seen the same one, and so you know, those that sort of tumble in the roller coasters probably felt a bit the same, and they were warned, Look, if you feel a bit queasy, you know, put your hand up, will take you out there, that sort of thing. But the last time you went to a cinema can you even can you remember? Are you a regular cinema goer? I mean, we do have people that go on the Tuesdays because it's the cheap par ticket or whatever it is. But I suspect I don't have the numbers in front of me. Maybe we can look this up, but I suspect per head of population, the number of movie goers is down. That would be my guess. You get the blockbusters and so people turn up for those, but aside from that, I just don't know how many people are going through the turnstiles week in and week out. So IMAX say, look, we reckon. We can do something about this because we've got these really big screens and huge sound systems, and this is something that you can't replicate at home with the streaming services. Right, So they're growing their number of screens out here from four to nine and they're going to do it by twenty twenty seven. I have nine screens, And as the thin reviewer says, this is a bit that those still venturing out to a cinema will want bigger screens, more lifelike imagery and sound than they can get at home. Okay, now that's a logical investment. I think, I reckon that'll go. Okay, so let's see what happens. But when was the last time you actually went to the movies? For me, I couldn't even tell. It's probably a foreign film. I think we went to see one of these, you know, German film festivals or French film festival. It was perfectly good. It was nice. Maybe it was the latest Bond of X years ago, maybe the one before that. Actually I can't really remember, but it was that long ago, and I suspect a lot of people are probably in the same category as me. It'll be let me say, it'd be very sad to see a lot of the cinemas go out backward. But I guess having said that, if people like me don't go, we'll wear the problem. One three one eight seven three.
Speaker 1: Now one afternoons Friday food.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, the topic today Friday food at twelve past two is the wonderful world of breaded is can considered a staple of life. Some of the dietitians might want to quabble over that one, but anyway, we all have our daily bread, and it has come a long way from the first iterations eleven so thousand years ago according to the archaeologists. In modern lives it's been the white or the brown bread sliced wrapped up, placed in the first ale of the supermarket. But in the last well, I was going to say decade, maybe the last two decades or so, bread has sort of had a renaissance. It's evolved for the everyday Australian, particularly with the arrival of sourdough that has really become a popular thing. And now even when you go to Col's, you know, you get the whatever type of French bread by Lauent, whoever he is. And so the whole thing is becoming a little bit posh. Nothing wrong with the old sausage sandwich in the white sliced bread. But I think people don't mind investing a few extra dollars in a good quality laf of bread. But what makes a good quality lay for bread? What's the secret to baking great bread? Even at home? What are the best of the best in the baking will do to get that fantastic crust and that fluffy center and all the rest, and of course the smell, oh the smell of fresh bake bread is really one of the best smells ever created. Well, speaking of the best of the best, I've got one on the line with me. His name is Barry Jones, one half not the former politician, but one half of the Missus Jones, the baker, which has a number of cafes in Sydney's northern beaches and the North Shore. If you're up that way, chances are you frequent them rather frequently. And Barry's with me on the line. Barry, thank you for your time.
Speaker 13: Thanks very much for inviting me in.
Speaker 2: It's a wonderful story yours. I mean you were born above the bakery in North Wales, so I guess it was meant to be.
Speaker 13: Right, I was. I was a had no choice me. My bedroom window was next door to extraction fans every morn in their weaker I had smell bread in the padroom, so it was no choice.
Speaker 2: Bred's you know, I said, It's a staple of life, bread and water. It's the sort of the old prison died and everyone relies on it. But you can have really bad bread and they have really good bread. So what's dare I say? The weight from the chaff do you, how do you separate.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean depends what you want. I mean we get a lot of older people want that they will water additional softer bread, but the young people want the sour dough because they wanted that digestion. Helps the digestion and also, yeah, it just creates. It takes a lot of problems away from digesting the flower we have here in Australia. So the long fermentation breaks down the blue and gives a better flavor, and that's what people want these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I look at the sour dough certainly has a unique flavor. Hence the sour and the sour doname. There is that slightly vinegary sour undertoned to it. I don't like. I don't know the whole story, my guess as it came out of Canada or California or something I think originally and then took the world by storm. Is that your understanding.
Speaker 13: I was always told Germany it was the German thing where left the loaf on the side in the kitchen and they realized that it started to rise and it was some natural yeast in the air. I was trained in San Francisco, California, and it's very popular are due to the temperature being realistically around about twenty four degrees more year round, and that's what makes a good salad or loath, this stability of temperature, and then the growth is not too fast and not too slow, and that then then produces the sour the acidic flavors. We use a pH meetia now a very modern way of doing it, So we want the pH to be about four four point one four point two in the finished slof. That's when you get a nice flavor, not too sour. In California they have a very very slow starter and they have a very acidic so obviously it takes longer to rise and then we get more acidic in it, which I don't think would be very popular in Australia, but yeah, that's the way we do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about some of the basics of bread and i'd imagine it does vary between the different recipes. If you've got a fruit life for your salad, where you just a standard wide or whatever, there's all sorts of different ingredients in different quantities. But so the nuts and the bolts you mentioned flower earlier, I guess like oils and oils flowers, ein flowers. Yeah, you go to a European supermarket, you get all these different types of flower. You go to our supermarkets you tend to get self rising a plain. That's about it.
Speaker 13: So definitely, definitely, And I think Australian breds come a long long way. And when I go to Europe now, I think Australian breds in line with the world on. So it's it's I think people have come and we're not stuck with tradition here. So we've got people like myself going to San Francisco, going to Germany and Europe to train. And the great thing is Australians have taken it on and that's why you see it so much. They want it now and they demand it, and the flower companies in Australia have been able to copy the types of flowers that we get in Europe and bring it here. So it's really move forward. I think the whole Australian cookery has moved forward so much since I've been here twenty eight years, and now we're among the best in the world of what we do. And people don't realize that until they go to you. They come back and they say to me, God, Barry, I didn't realize that. You know, I got better, better in Australia and I got Europe. It's true.
Speaker 2: Well, we are blessed and until your travel, maybe we don't realize. But again, I'm going to be piled with tomatoes here from the Italians. But I often find the Italian food is better than what you get in a lot of places in Italy. That's not to say if you go to the good places, it's a different story. But stock standard, pound for pound, local tratoria, I think, yeah, because the ingredients here we do pretty well.
Speaker 13: I think our sensational I think people don't. People go to Europe and they get, you know, the cebold fashioned way of doing things, and they sit in an old restaurant and they think are must be better, but it's not. And like for catching now it's one of the most popular breads right now. And I think the toppings here are much more imaginative because they just were not stuck in, like I say, tradition. We just some of the stuff that we can get now in base reasons in markets is amazing and I think far better than you find in Europe. Personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean the French will send us to the guillotine for that. But maybe with them as the exception, I agree with that. Now you've got to have a good amount of salt when you've probably got to have some sugar in all loaves, don't you.
Speaker 13: No, I mean that's the good thing with the way people are making bread now, it's four ingredients. Basically, it's just water, the flour, some salt, and the natural cements is what we use in most of our bread. We don't put any sugar anymore, and a lot of people don't, so.
Speaker 2: The natural for me is one of the main ingredients. Just patient. You've got to be patient in the process.
Speaker 13: You just got to be We keep a steady twenty four degrees. We have cabinets which keep all better twenty four degrees on purpose, and that then just keeps it very stable. It's like I said about San Francisco, they leave theirs out. Even we can't do that because we have heats in the summer and the coolness in the winter. And when I first started the bakery, I was having real big problems with that. So I went to San Francisco and that's it properly, and that then what that does then is and if you get the right phs, it allows the growth of the bacteria over a certain amount of time, and so you get a flay that's the same all the time. And also the ucility helps with the strengthen in the bread too. So if you see like a very very flat load, some times it might be over fermented. So you'll cut it open, it'll be very airy and it will taste sour, like you're saying, very sour. But a good bread should taste balanced and have a nice structure inside.
Speaker 2: As I said, there's almost nothing better than the smell of warm brid Are you you disagree because you had it coming through your bedroom window every other way? Just finally, I mean your personal story is a fantastic one as well. Obviously from North Wales, but then you know you you went to some of the great hotels, The Savoy in London, that's where you went, missus Jones, you made your wife, that's it. But then New York, France, Italy often the door Chester. I mean, you've you've worked in some pretty.
Speaker 13: Decent and I represented Australia in a World Cup as well in France and one of our cakes came through in the World so I've been. I've been around and one of two things. Yeah, I like love. I mean I love Australia. I love I love it here. It's just a great place to do. Business is great and I love it.
Speaker 2: What was it like being on twenty four hour call with the Salt and the BRUNEI that was a nightmare.
Speaker 13: That was a nightmare. Once I was I was getting my suit fit in a in a in a in Northolky, Norwige. My wife comes from US, have my suit fitted in a suit fitting shop. And they tracked me down there because he was coming in and they have to have to go straight back to London. And they piled me in the suit shop. There's Barry Jones here. I was like, yeah, it's me. It says it's a phone call. Oh, you've got to come straight back to London. The Sultan flying in now with two jets. I was like, oh God. My mother and law looking at me, and my wife going where are you going back to London? It was a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Great, the story is good though. You made Sylvester Stallone's wedding cake. What did he want?
Speaker 13: I did well. I came into work on Saturday morning not knowing anything about this cake, and next thing, the general managers in my office, and then forbesta Sloan comes down with his bodyguard and they wanted to.
Speaker 2: Say, Sylvester needs a bodyguard.
Speaker 13: Roddy. He's quite small when you see in real life. But it's because all of these He wanted us three tier wedding cake. The top tier had to have a camera man we you know, the old fashioned camera where the drake comes over them like a leg and then on the it's just crazy cake. Then twelve cats on the bottom layer and twelve red roses, and I had to have it in the back of a car to drive to Oxford in two hours. And I couldn't believe that's like what we did it. We used to get lots of crazy, crazy things they wanted from different customers, but he had all the top people there, so I was used to doing cakes, you know, in no time whatsoever. Once I had the Sultan came in and they've got a list of cakes. He wanted eighty cakes made in an hour to go out to his eighty friends that I had birthday since the last time he was there. So I did it all, wrote it all. I saw them all go down on the room service trolley's and I saw them coming back, and then he decided to change his mind. He wanted it written in his own language, not in English. Oh my god, it's a big startled area again.
Speaker 6: But that was the son of it.
Speaker 13: I love that job. It's a great job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mind you, the one you got now is probably just a little less stressful, which is wonderful than You're a good old part of the world. And we're lucky to have you here. Thank you for your time, Barry, wonderful to speak with you.
Speaker 13: Thank you very much, mate, just that bye.
Speaker 2: Bye, congratulations and all the success. Barry Jones, he of Missus Jones, the baker fame. They do wonderful thing. And the story of bread is a fantastic story, always evolving. One three, one eight seven three. Let's get to a stack. Of course, a lot of people are talking about the movies, of all things. Hello, Karen, Hi, Michael, how are you going. I'm good. I'm hungry after all that talk of bread. Though.
Speaker 14: I like Missurdo because it doesn't blow the stomach like normal bread. So I'm I'm a but yeah, no, I just wanted to talk about movies. I go as often as I can and want and love it. I went and saw Ocean by David Edinburgh the other day, our local and brilliant like actually reassuring that there's hopes for the oceans here because there's a lot of salvaging that's got to be done and a lot of changes. But hopefully with the Ocean Forum meeting somewhere in the world later, it'll change a few few habits and we'll save the ocean. So it's really it was really interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, and where did you go? What cinema do you go to?
Speaker 14: I go to Cronulla and I went on Tudor Wednesday Weddnesday this week, so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lovely. I'm glad you enjoyed it. There's nothing better than seeing on the big screen. I've just got to go and do it more. We've got to support the cinemas. Thank you. Karen. Love to hear from me. Hello, Mike.
Speaker 15: Michael, Yes, mate, Yeah, my wife and I don't go to the movies very often, but a few weeks ago we did make an exception because we're great fans of a fantastic online streams series called Chosen, which is about.
Speaker 16: The life of Jesus Christ and the producers decided to sort of binge release the entire fifth season on over sort of one weekend, so my wife and I sat through two three hour blocks almost consecutively. I think it was at weather or Parks Cinema and it was quite a pretty heavy going. But they are going to release I think this month they're releasing it on pay per view, I think through Amazon, and then in our springtime they all released the entire season along with and the first four seasons are already available free online. You just just Google watch the Chosen and you can find them and watch them all free.
Speaker 2: Okay, fantastic. I'm glad you got to see it on the big screen. That sounds wonderful. Good on you, Mike, appreciate that. A couple of Texsi Brett says, last time I went to the movies over fifty years ago to see Charles Bronson. I wait till they come on free Way TV. Okay, Brett Edwards said, I haven't been to a cinema for forty years. Can I jim.
Speaker 5: Illo my talking bread, which is one of my favorite thirds. I am Maltese. I am Maltese by birth, and I've been back to Malta numerous times, and one of the delights of going back to Malta is to consume the bread. Malta has the best bread in the world. I tell you this quite solemnly, so much so that when she was living there as a young princess, Her Majesty the Late Queen absolutely adored Maltese bread. She was living there for two and a half years, and she loved it. I'm sure that when you got your Maltese listeners out there, they will be nodding their head.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I tell you what, Jim, you've thrown it out there. Let's see, I'll find out. I mean, Maltese a certainly wonderful cooks. I hadn't ever heard about how good a Teese bread was. I've heard about the bastitzis, and I've heard about the rabbit dishes and this, but I've never heard about the bread. So you're the first. I don't know any other Maltese people listening. Is is Jim true saying the right thing? Maltese bread is the best bread in the world. And I sa the French would say call themage we do a good bigett, but I don't. Maybe I've never been to balder I don't know one three, one eight seven three. It's that time of the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Time to find out what's coming up on Sydney.
Speaker 17: Now for the Serrato successor, the turbo charged Kia K four kias a new small sedan GT line very intavailable. Now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 2: Well this man, I'll be with you straight after the three o'clock years. Clinton Maynard, Good afternoon, Ho, Michael. Do you ski?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 8: It's the first weekend of the ski seasons. We're going to get into the Snowy Mountains to start the program, and y better get going.
Speaker 2: You only got twenty nine quantum tunneling with Have you.
Speaker 8: Ever been skiing or snowboarding?
Speaker 2: Not skiing? No, I've done to and also but I just know that it wouldn't end well, so I don't do it. Are you coordinated? Not particularly No, And as soon as sort of skis are on, absolutely not so No, I just know ook.
Speaker 8: I've been on quite a few occasions, but mostly in summer. Has not been to the Stowy Mountains for various A lot of flies, a lot of flies, a few bushfires over the years that I've reported on down there. But I've never actually placed skis on my feet.
Speaker 2: Okay, well it makes two of it. No, I've never put skis on my feet grass skiing. Have you done that?
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 8: Jamburu Recreation Bark or Jambrew is one of the most popular theme parks in the city. That was a grass skiing resort and my parents went through a phase in the nineteen eighties. They decided to take up grass skiing and you put all these toboggan type things on your feet and you roll down the hill.
Speaker 2: Well, the royals at those ski resorts as well.
Speaker 8: I'd think so, so I had more experience going grass skiing than.
Speaker 2: We should have little blades on them so you can mow the lawn as you go down. That's a good idea. Two for one.
Speaker 8: That's a very I don't think they still have the grass skiing at the Jambree Recreation part. They still have the toboggan ride, and that's the boggan ride was the second they started with the grass and the toboggan. I know, I'm diverting from what I was talking about, just off from a bit of a tangent. So it's the opening week of this because you said, what are you talking about? What's the King's birthday? Long weekend?
Speaker 2: Oh, you keep reminding me because you're not working on Monday. I think it's about the fourth time you've raised this. I haven't raised our air well, no, just off it's living excited to tell the listeners. Every about half an hour, he pops his head on. Now, just are you working on my years?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Sorry forgot rub it in anyway, Well, Continuous Call team they'll be filming in for you. Expected about maybe potentially there's some hopes of seventy thousand people. Wonderful On Monday afternoon, you'll hear a full broadcast with the Continuous Call Team so that we know to sitt in AUP. So we'll go down and check what's happening with the snowy mountains.
Speaker 2: This weekend.
Speaker 8: We'll be talking beef on the program Donald Trump and also end of year, end of financial year's sales. Yep, the bargain's actually real or no? No, well, it depends what you're probably after.
Speaker 2: Things are on soil all the time. I don't know about maybe cars could be different cars, I think maybe, But by and large, if you're after a book or clothing or electronics. They've got to sale every second week.
Speaker 8: But back in the day there was there were only two sales year with Grace Brothers. Yeah, the Grace you have the Grace Brothers midyear sale. Sorry for those that new to the scene, maya these days Grace Brothers mid year saling and Grace Brothers box January side. Yeah, boxing dust and that was it. But you're walk into minds. So it is on salary.
Speaker 2: Well online see online shoppings change the world.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well we'll talk about talk about sales as well.
Speaker 2: Good, okay, thank you Clinton. Clinton. Mayner was Sydney now straight after three. You won't hear him on Monday, and he'll probably remind us a few more times about that between now and when we go home. You see, he needs his beauty sleep. So it's all about it's all about health and safety and whatever. Aaron mar Good afternoon.
Speaker 9: Good afternoon. Michael. Accused killer Aaron Patterson has told the jury and her murder trial it's possible she access posts about death cap mushroom sightings. The Prime Minister says he'll only consider relaxing rules around beef imports if the nation's biosecurity can be guaranteed. The Premier says the passing of Joe's Law will ban the future privatization of public acute hospitals to improve patient outcomes. And David Beckham is reportedly set to receive a knighthood in the UK's King's Birthday honors. He'll become Sir David, with Victoria to become Lady Beckham. In Sport, Night's coach Adam O'Brien is apologized to the club's fan base after blasting them for booing his players. Down sixteen nil to Manley at halftime, Newcastle players were jeered by their home crowd before winning twenty six twenty two in Golden Point. And there'll be more news at three.
Speaker 1: O'clock on afternoons. A finance update for Pretzel Wealth and Finance for Trusted Financial Planning just Google Blake went to Pretzel.
Speaker 2: All Right Friday Finance. It is Scott Phillips from the Motley Fool with us fool dot com dot au Scott. It appears that Tesla's shares have taken a tumble.
Speaker 6: Michael godaf lerne abb abolutely have by fourteen percent, which sounds a lot in percentages. Waiting to get the real numbers. One hundred and fifty two billion dollars worth of that you lost in six and a half short trading hours off your stock market overnight on the back of this increasingly ugly spat between Musk and President Trump basically both taking potshelts to each other now on their respective soxual media platforms, Trump on truth on X. Of course, it would be funny if it wasn't the world's most richer world, bridges man and a letder of the free world. But that's where we find ourselves as a result of potentially Donald Trump having a go and it must have a go back or vice versa. Trump has decided to remove EV tax credits. That is going to hurt Tesla's sales, simply makes them more expensive for potential buyers in the US, that is. And then as a result, and in response must say, well, maybe I won't. Let's use my rockets to follow your astronauts to space. A lot more probably going to come out about that at the next twenty four to forty eight hours, but at the moment that's the issue, the real issue for Tesla shareholders, and this is a bit of a kick in the pants for Tesla share as they had for ages said to look at Earlin, can you please stop doing so much stuff with the government, can and actually run the car company's supposed to be running. He said, finally said yeah, okay, I'll give up. I'll stop doing that and I'll come back to the car company. That in theory should have been good news for the shares. But this bat that's eventuated means not only was he out of business, we're not paying much attention to the company for a few months. When he does come back the shell, we're going to whack because Elon's made Donald Trump upset. And we know that Donald Trum give me a little bit of petuous from time to time, and both men famously have very very very glass jaws, and so yes, a bit a bit of insult flying and Antesla shall wearing one hundred and fifty billion dollars worth of paint as a result.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big boys throwing the big toys out of the big cots. That's as happening exactly. Yeah, the markets and.
Speaker 6: The dollar here markets unfortunate, not having a great day. We're in positive territory through the morning, but we've dipped in a negative territory. This afternoon off by about two tenths of a percent. At the moment, we're currently eighty seven hundred and forty nine points. And then while the dollar is a bit mixed against the major currencies, but up against the US dollar back over sixty five cents, up two tenths to sixty five point zero three US.
Speaker 2: That's just interesting. Before you go, Scott that the actual story that should have been economically relevant today was Trump and G of China had a phone call apparently that went quite well, and that was about tariffs and Russia. Yeah, the stock market should absorb Benzo. That's kind of good. But then of course along comes this and you know, I mean, who knows what's coming now?
Speaker 6: And that's honestly, that is the story of the Trump presidency so far is we're kind of learnching from headline to headline. You're right, though, And look for long term investors. That's the other thing. Maybe not Tesla Shells, but everybody else. If all is going to be selling more baked beans and toilet paper in five years than today, and they were more profitably than today, we really shouldn't get caught up in what is theatrics, I mean, really serious public policy stuff. But as investors, unless it's going to dent permanently the value of a company you shared your own, you could probably afford to take an interest on a policy ground and a public public interest of public good ground. But as an investor, separate those two things out, because if it doesn't impact your company permanently, it is just noise on the way through.
Speaker 2: And I guess the markets have decided that in the battle between Trump and Musk, Trump is going to win so far.
Speaker 6: That's well, he gets to pull the tax credits away, and let's se this side to change your mind to put them back. That's a permanent damage to Tesla ship. Brother, That's exactly the story, right, they'll be pure cars sold. Those that are sold will cost their buyers more. And yeah, so it's not permanent, semi permanent, longer term damage to Tesla as a result of the car's being more expensive. From here on.
Speaker 2: It all right, great to talk, have a good weekend and we'll catch you. I think on Monday. It's a public holiday. Are you with us, Scott?
Speaker 6: I will be here absolutely.
Speaker 2: You're a trooper. Well done Clinton. I don't have a jack to Clinton of any Thank you, Scott, Scotti Clinton, chief investment officer at the Motley fool full dot com dot au, will take a break calls after this eighteen to three. I think Tuesday is the day that the premiere of Tasmania, Jeremy Rockcliffe, will be asking for a new election. I don't think you can do it yet because my understanding is the governor's on leave. I think that's right that the governor's not back to work until Monday afternoon or Tuesday. I might be wrong, but I guess these things have to be done in person, and so I think that's why the delay on the email. Damien says, gree with you call one hundred percent. Malt Tease bread is the best bread in the world. I'm not mal Teese, but I love my bread and I've been to Mortal three times and every time I go, the bread is what I look forward to the most. Hello Mary, Oh, you've.
Speaker 18: Got a great program. That gentleman was right. Mal Teach bread is the best bread there is. It's not heavy when you eat it on your stomach, and the smell is designe. Maltese people don't eat a meal unless they have a bit of bread with it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a nice idea. Why is it so good though? Is it the type of flour they use? What's the sud?
Speaker 18: It must be it must be the flow. I don't know because I came here very young, but I have them back there and it is. I don't know what it is that it makes it. You know, it's good for your stomach. It's not heavy, and it doesn't blow like make you blow it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of bread weat belly or whatever they call.
Speaker 18: It is very very very very nice.
Speaker 15: He was right.
Speaker 2: Well, you're backing him up, Mary, so we must be right. Thank you for the call. Have a lovely long weekend.
Speaker 4: Hello Pam, Hi Michael, how are you? That's great?
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: I need to tell you, if you want you had a disaster with a bread machine, buy a Panasonic bread machine. I have five of them.
Speaker 2: You have five of them?
Speaker 4: Yes, two old ones are the originals. Then Panasonic went out of production and I was devastated. So when they came back on, I bought a new one, and then I have bought two others so that I have plenty of machines. I buy the bread mix from the local wholesaler and I will guarantee you that the Panasonic is brilliant. I had another machine which I bought, and I, like you, I made two house bricks.
Speaker 2: Yes, I readomb the foundations.
Speaker 4: With Yes, the same thing here. But you will never ever make a failure with Panasonic. The two old ones that I have. I make the dough and I make bread rolls, a pizza type thing which I've made today. You can do all sorts of things, but a Panasonic, I will guarantee. And I'm not on a commission. Might I say, I was going to ask.
Speaker 2: You when you're doing the cow bell? Okay, so I'm just trying to work out though, Pam. I agree. I'm sure Panasonic is brilliant. But you have five? Are you using all five at the same time?
Speaker 3: No, No, I used to it.
Speaker 4: I make two laves of bread at once, plain white, and then I make for myself Plaine for my husband, and I use the other one a sunflower seeds in the bread, yes, and I slice it up because we live out in the property out of town, and I freeze that and then I will make I'll make bread rolls whatever I need to make. I do that all the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, good on you, well done, Pam. Thank you for the call have a love weekend Panasonica. I'm going to have to maybe invest in one of those. This three from New South Wales Police. Three men have been charged after allegedly performing burnouts in Sydney's West last month. Police attached to Traffic and Highway Patrol Command commenced an investigation following reports of dangerous driving behavior in Bobbin Roads, Sadlier. That was back on Sunday, May twenty five. Following inquiries on Tuesday, a twenty seven year old man was issued a Field Court attendance notice for prolonged sustained loss of traction and drive recklessly, slash furiously or speed manner dangerous. That's all that police talk, but you get the gist. His license was suspended and the vehicle used in the alleged offense was impounded for three months now. He's going to appear before Liverpool Local Court on Wednesday, June twenty five, and following further inquiries, a fifty one year old woman has been charged with responsible person custodian not disclosed driver. She is due to appear in Liverpool Local Court on Wednesday, July twenty three. Officers are continuing there investigations to identify the owner and or driver of the third vehicle. It's there you go. That's the latest there Now, Bill says, whilst I'm sure Maltea's bread is nice, quote unquote, you can't beat a great Greek loaf of oh, here we go, here we go. See the Greeks claim they do everything the best. Now that in many cases they do, but it's just it's always what so this is from Billy. He says, you can't be the great Greek loaf of bread from the wood and oven with olive oil, olives and fetter. Well, you know, having just read that, it's probably it's probably right. I mean, that would be hard to beat. That would certainly be hard to beat. Elizabeth says, I've got a Sunbeam bread maker. It's my third best bread using Louc flour la UK. You can get that of Coles, I think, and she says, you're welcome to have it. We buy sour dough now as my husband isn't really allowed the carbs. But bread maker is the only bread my Conya eats. Conye is a We've got a little connue at home, a little sort of like a South American Laura keet. There you go. Hey, Elizabeth, that's very generous of you. Thank you for your text. But if I brought a breadmaker home, I think my wife would kill me. It's just what there's a bit like the Bible. There's no room at the inn, you know. It's just the place is full, sadly. But that's very generous, Elizabeth, Thank you so much. It's twelve minutes to three. We'll do track of the day right after this. Love it to be with you. Plenty of cloud out there now, does look like maybe bitter rain is on the way, just looking out to the west. We'll see what happens. It is nine minutes to three.
Speaker 17: Now one afternoon.
Speaker 2: Track of the day. All right, here we go. I've got a double pass to the Sydney Film Festival. Speaking of movies, So if you want to actually go to a movie, here's a good opportunity. You don't even have to pay for the ticket. One three one eight seven three A double pass to the Sydney Film Festival. A question for you, which I think is pretty straightforward today. Which entrepreneur made his first pair of blue jeans on this day back in eighteen fifty. Which entrepreneur made his first pair of blue jeans on this day in eighteen fifty. If you know his name, one three one eight seven three first one three is off to the Sydney Film Festival. This will help you think hodads time.
Speaker 7: But he can't sing and dancing in can.
Speaker 19: What long as I can have you here with me and the traveler beans in blue jeans? Beard sweet, then fing next to venistreet. If your pardon me, I said window can rever in blue jeans.
Speaker 5: That's name.
Speaker 12: It's night.
Speaker 2: Long nothing all right, I reckon We'll get a winner. No more calls Jeff, who are we after? What's the name? Jeff? Are you there? Yep, mate? What's the yep?
Speaker 12: Lee by Stroud?
Speaker 2: Correct AMNDO. Well done, Jeff, You're off to the Sydney Film Festival. Hang on there, mate, we'll grab your details and of course the Sydney Film Festival. Wonderful, wonderful event, A bold, inspiring cinema from around the world. June fourth to fifteenth, s if if dot org dot are you jesus just actually during the ad break, they're watching a few replays from the Rugby League Last Night, the Nights and the Manly Sea, because that was a heck of a game. I got most of the second half. Of course, Manly led. It was sixteen Neil, wasn't it halftime? And then Newcastle roared back and Manly scored under the post, and then Newcastle scored again and again and that try at the end for Ponger. They won and the Newcastle fans and Noverocastrians that loyally turned up were rewarded with the great finish. So well under them there'd been no all sorts of strife. The coach would have been under enormous pressure, but they produced last night. It was a great game of rugby league for Thursday night. And looking forward to the rest of the round, including the Tigers and the Panthers from Combank on Sunday. I think that's four o'clock that one. Next week, when we get the time, we'll have a chat about Justices of the peace JP's there's a story in the ABC coming out of Victoria, but I would imagine it's probably universal across Australia that there simply are too few justices of the peace available for the booming population. Obviously, a JP is an authorized person who witnesses or certifies documents their birth certificate, statuary declarations, wills, this sort of thing. But in Victoria there's only three thousand, six hundred and ninety nine registered jps, and the bulk of those are in metropolitan Melbourne, twenty two hundred and twenty nine of them just in Melbourne. So for the rest of the state not many left. Fourteen hundred and seventy across all of regional Victoria and they serve a total population of six and a half million people. Now people say, even here in Sydney often oh, where do I I can't find a JP? Where's a JP? I mean, my late father was a JP. But one of the problems in Victoria seems to be that many of those that are old are now dying obviously, and they're not being replaced by younger people. So how do we get the numbers of jps up if indeed we need to, We'll have a look at that at some point next week. Thank you for your company, Enjoy your long weekend if you're having one, and I'll be here Monday with you. Look forward to having a chat. Then five an hour