Speaker 1: The garden through the barrel, it down aig. There a battle, come down the garden to the under Yep. We touched up with in the Brady in the United Kingdom on a Tuesday yesterday it was Wednesday. We spoke to him yesterday and he's been gracious enough to join us again on Thursday. You would you'd be familiar, of course, with the great Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. Co Incidentally, Inda, we happen to be talking about him in the last hour, having a bit of fun with some Beach Boys music, and the news came through just ten pasts of the hour, or near not to ten pasts of the hour. He's only just passed away, Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys.
Speaker 2: Morning, Tony. Do you know what. It's quite coincidence because I was flying back, as I told you yesterday, from Peru, and I had with me Elton John's amazing new autobiography called Me, and he was talking about how crazy life was in the seventies, and he said, out of the blue, just as he was getting famous in America, he was invited for a coffee at Brian Wilson's house in California and Elton rocked up by himself. The door was opened by Brian Wilson. His family were inside, and he said, Brian Wilson, the song that was in the chart at the time was your song, which Bernie Taupin had just finished writing with Elton John. And Elton said in the book that he opened the door, knocked on the door and it was opened, and Brian Wilson opens the door and he kept singing I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind in words, and he brought Elton into his to meet his family and he said, look who it is. It's the man who wrote your song. And Elton John in the book says it was quite a surreal experience to meet someone that he had idolized for his music and to have Brian Wilson singing Elton's music back at him in front of his kids, who look quite amused.
Speaker 1: Great in that wonderful well you know those sort of people. I probably they went through a very difficult time the sixties, and Elton has been well and truly documented he's having medication drug issues, which presume is in this book. Is it a good rate sopher?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Rip roaring I raced through it, so I was cherishing every chapter. If you see it around or if you're looking for a good holiday read, it's called me. And he holds no punches. He pulled no punches. And there's loads of tittle tattle in there. People he's fallen out with people, he's fallen back in with another. Just a little anecdote for halftime. Tony, he had a dinner party one night, and Elton John being Elton John, he was able ring up Princess Diana and she came for dinner. Then he rang up Richard Gear and he come for dinner, and who rocks up as well, Sylvester Stallone, And they're all having a nice time. And then Diana is relaxing in front of the fireplace and the fire and just kind of chilling out. And then Elton sees Richard Gear making a bee line for her and chatting her up. And then he said, about half an hour later, his husband, David Furnish, arrives back at the table and whispered to him, we've got a situation. And Elton said, what's the situation? And apparently Sylvester Stallone was extremely jealous of Richard Gear chatting up Diana, and it almost ended in blows between the two men before Stallone stumped off with the immortal words, I wouldn't have come if I'd known you'd invited effing Prince Charming, which was how he referred to Richard Gear who was trying to steal Diana's attention.
Speaker 1: It's a great story, I'll tell you it's not such a great story. Let's go to the north of Ireland. A big call for backup now that I've had a fair bit of rodney, a couple of knots of rioting in northern Ireland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is very serious now and the police have actually asked for reinforce months from Police Scotland to come over. So eighty officers are transferring right now to the north of Ireland town called Ballymena and widely hear what has happened. So a teenage girl was allegedly the victim of a sexual assault earlier this week. Now two fourteen year old boys were arrested. They've been charged, they've appeared before the local court and the case will go through the courts. Now. The boys spoke through a Romanian interpreter, so clearly they're not Irish and they're not from the area, and what's been happening is a lot of violence against migrants in the town, a lot of racism, a lot of racist abuse. People have taken to the streets. Property has been damaged, houses have been damaged, and then they've turned their attention on the police force PSNI Police Service Northern Ireland. Thirty two officers injured two nights of rioting and the Assistant Chief Constable, basically one of the top cops in the North of Ireland. He has come out today and said, do not riot tonight. Do not risk your future. He said, you will end up being prosecuted, you could go to jail. So it's got really really out of hand there, and all of these kind of community tensions stoked because of an alleged sexual assault on a young girl this week.
Speaker 1: Gee, allan's got some issues. We'll do that another day and talk about some of them. Illegal asylum seekers too. About fifteen thousand a year for the year, and that's just a date.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we're not even halfway through June. The end of June obviously will mark the halfway point of the year. And we're told today that the number of illegal asylum seekers coming across from France and these little dinghies, massively overcrowded, extremely dangerous, risking their lives, has reached fifteen thousand for the year as of now. Now that's a town that's a new town every six months of people popping up. It's costing about eight million Australian dollars a day in the hotel accommodation for these people, and clearly that can't go on now. The government has in the past couple of hours announced plans to stop hotel accommodation for these asylum seekers by twenty twenty nine, so they're giving themselves a four year window to get this under control. I mean, it is one really serious issue here that riles people up. A lot of taxpayers cash people feel is being wasted. And the footage I've seen today on all the news channels French police on the beaches, these dinghies being pushed out the sea, people clambering on board and no cops intervening whatsoever. So the French are quite clear, you know, it seems to be from the top down in France. Let them off. We don't want them here, and if they're happy to sail across to England. It's the English problem.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of England, what's going with the England footage team?
Speaker 2: OLSN so a bad night last night really so it finished obviously seeing the great news Australia qualified automatically, no more playoffs or any of that stress to go through. England played a friendly last night at Wembley and honestly the players looked like they were on the beach already, or certainly they wanted to be. England won Senegal three, England's first ever defeat to an African nation ever in history, only a friendly, but they've had a really bad week. They went to Andorra last weekend to play a World Cup qualifier, and Dora if you can't find it on the map, there's a very good reason. It's basically a ski resort wedged in between France and Spain. How they can field eleven international soccer players is beyond my comprehension. And England only beat Andorra one nil and then go well last night and lose three to one to Senegal. So the newspapers have turned on the team. The back pages are all turning on the German manager of England now Thomas Tukel and we are twelve months out from a soccer World Cup and England look in complete disarray. The only thing I would say, Tony in their favor. It's been a hell of a long season and these players are pushed from pillar to poll on club matches, Premier League, Champions League, Oh England need you internationals, friendlies and clearly a lot of the wives and family are in the background saying can we not just go to Spain and have a holiday?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Holiday holiday, Mike, lovely to talk to you and do it again next week. Thank you into Brady bringing us up today.