Speaker 1: It soundly and now on Night's Words with Cal Richards, who gently reminded me, of course I knew it, but I didn't actually say it. He is the late Sir Redmond Hillary. Now, but yeah, great man. I shouldn't clarified that it sort of didn't sound right, did it. But there's some funny stories about surre Redmond Hillary. Apparently, I've known some. I won't say anything because it might sound like some sort of commercial thing, but I put it this way. I know a couple of sponsors who've worked with certinmun Hillary and asked him to promote their products, and I've just heard these stories over the years, and they said he was the nicest, most humble person. They were shocked that such a famous man could be so humble to work with. Hello, kel By the way, speaking of humble legends.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Good evening. It's nice to be here, and I feel humble in every way. There was a show in which there was a so called lord. It's hard to be humble when you're perfect at every way. Well, it's the show.
Speaker 1: It's just about to ask you the same question. Someone will know one three, one eight seven three or zero four six zero eight seven three A's everything I can hear it. My's hiring to be humble when you're perfect in every the song.
Speaker 2: That's the song.
Speaker 1: Oswords dot com dot you. Of course, if you want to dig more into this, Kel also has the daily newsletter. You can have it for free, so subscribe go to Osward's dot com dot au and don't forget anything, any language issues, any phrases, any comments. It can be origins as we already have a question about Kel, and we'll we'll also deal with the emails that we've had in the last week or so too, because quite often Kell has to do some serious investigative reporting on some of these things. And there's some beauties I can see on the list, so we'll make sure we get to those. But up front, Beverly wants to know and you know what, this reminds me of the great comedian from the United States, Paul Lynde, because she wants to know the origin of for Pete's.
Speaker 2: Sake, Okay, for Pete's sake, in that it's one of a group of phrases which are fairly similar. That form of it, for Pete's Sake is recorded from nineteen oh three. Few years later, was recorded as for the Love of Pete Yes, and a variational was for the Love of Mike, which is a little early from the eighteen nineties. The best guess we have is all of them are softened blasphemies, so all of them were for God's sake, for the love of God, that they were all substituting something for that. There's a wonderful story that circulated on the Internet claiming it was Michael Angelo appealing for money for painting the Sistine Chapel or something, and he was appealing for money from Sir Peter's or for subpeters. It's all rubbish. That's a lovely story, but it's all complete rubbish. It just became a soft blasphemy in the late eighteen hundreds, and that's where all the for Pete's sake, for the love of Pete, for the love of Might come from.
Speaker 1: You remember Paul Lynde and all. He was on different game shows, and he did a whole lot of voiceover work as well.
Speaker 2: Oh, for a beat's sake, I remember him working with Carol Burnett.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, yes, we had that show in Australia, didn't we care.
Speaker 2: Carol Berner popular very funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one of the great early female comedians, or comedy ends as they used to be called, with two.
Speaker 2: Ends and an e yes. Do they still do that?
Speaker 1: There's a word well or was that just a made up word to soon?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, it was a real word. But we are told not to use gender language. So there are no actresses anymore. There's only actors. And we wouldn't talk about an aviator. That's a very dated word. But if we did, you couldn't call a woman and Avia tricks, which she would have been called years ago. So those gendered words tend to be largely dying. I suspect.
Speaker 1: Good point, and that's a no brainer, I think given the current climate. No brainer is one that we had an email about kel So that's first on your list of emails, by the way, one three one eight seven three or zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three on the text line, don't leave it to the last minute, please.
Speaker 2: I think the bloke who emailedus was Martin, I think was his name, and Martin was worried that it was really offensive. It was saying people, it's really insulting people who got very low IQs or disabled or something or rather or mentally struggling. He named as an example, I've got no idea why Joe Biden, and he said, it's just a very rude expression. It's actually not. It's American and Americans coined nineteen fifty nine somewhere around there. And it's the idea that something is obvious. It's not a comet about a person. It's a comment about an idea or a judgment. And it's an idea or a judgment which is obvious. It is so obvious you can just see it. You don't need to put your brain into gear. It is a no brainer. So Martin, don't worry. It's not an offensive expression. You can use it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I couldn't agree more. I've always thought of it that way too. It's about not using your brain, not suggesting you don't have one. That's right, Alan, I beg to differ, even though Harvey Corman and Tim Conway, I'm sure, said Alpha Pete's sake quite a lot. Paul Lind is synonymous with it. He says it's not, but he is vampi campy. Paul Lind asks why do bikis wear black leather because chaffon crumples so badly, says David, thank you. I can just imagine him saying that, let's go back to the list one three one eight seven three if you have a call, if you want to get on the text line at zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three, Done and dusted. This is one of our email conundrums.
Speaker 2: This is an interesting one. It's only recorded in nineteen thirty, although my guess would be it comes from earlier in the twentieth century, just in the in print until nineteen thirty. And there are a bunch of theories, none of them very persuasive. The one that I think is the most likely source is there was a time when sawdust was sprinkled on the floor of some places to catch spills and drips and so on, and then swept up at the end of the day and a new lot put out. This is my guess that the junior, the apprentice, the person. Pubs did that, and butcher shops did that. If you remember the sawdust in pubs and butcher shops, which the younger generation would be amazed to think you'd walk into a pub of this sawdust on the floor or a butcher shop. Anyway, it did happen pardonly it really did. I think at the end of the day the blaker had to do it. The assistant of the apprentice would clean the place up, then sprinkle the sawdust for the next day he was done and dusted, right, That's where I think it comes from, the sawdust on the floor.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Now Alan's explained himself here. He meant to say Harvey Korman and Tim Conway were on the Carol Burnett's show, not Paul ind I just did a quick google. Alan paul In definitely was on a number of Carol Burnet episodes. But I'll bow to your better judgment than he may not have been a regular, We'll put it that way. So I think we might have come to an agreement on that. Well, better go to a break. We'll do that. We've got a couple of calls waiting, thank you, hanging there please. We've got more stuff on the text line as well, pouring in. It's eighteen past ten, twenty one past ten words with Kel Richards and the calls of banking up and some of the text messages. Let's get into it. Pam, good evening to.
Speaker 3: You, good evening, Bill and kill I was doing a puzzle, and one of the answers was do daddy. I've just looked it up. Can you please explain. I don't even know the.
Speaker 2: Meaning of it, do daddy. Oh well, let me tell you something. The Oxford English Dictionary has never heard of it.
Speaker 1: You sure you don't mean do dad? Like you know little do dad? Over there? That's an expression of here.
Speaker 3: It was actually D double o da double D.
Speaker 2: Why when D double o.
Speaker 3: D A double D? Why?
Speaker 2: Right? Okay? Now the Oxford still hasn't heard of it. No, no, no, no. If the ox It hasn't heard of it, then either A it's not a word, or B it's not an important word.
Speaker 1: What about do dad?
Speaker 2: I don't know. If do dad isn't there, we can find out.
Speaker 1: I've heard the expression do dad as referring to some kind of little thing, A little do dad. Yeah, what's that do dad? Hanging around your neck? That type of thing? Yeah, Pam, you've heard do dad?
Speaker 2: Surely yes, the Oxford, the Oxford knows do dad from nineteen twenty A thing of me? I think that's their definition.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, isn't that funny? It's an under think of me. It's got do dad is Yeah, Pam, I hope that helps.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't because we didn't find an answer, so it doesn't help, Pam. But take it for calling.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We're all in blissful ignorance about do daddies. You could take that anywhere, really, couldn't you. Gary's on the line, Hello, Gary, Ohio.
Speaker 5: Bill and kill I'm love you show.
Speaker 4: I look forward to it every week. I'm sure he can probably help me. The origin of the word.
Speaker 2: Bonza, Oh okay, it's Australian. It was coined in the eighteen eighties and it's the best guess is Australians cooked it up in the bush out of a couple of foreign words. One is the French word bond, which means good bo n, and the other is the Spanish word bonanza, which means a good find, a good discovery. And the assumption is that there were several ways of saying it and spelling it in the early days Bonster, Bonster. These are recorded very early in the piece. If you look at the old bulletin magazine you'll find these odd sort of spellings. Then it's settled down to being bonza, and was pronounced and written as bonza, but it was simply concocted out of Australian verbal inventiveness using bits of two foreign languages.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, logic answer yes, thank you, bonds.
Speaker 1: A call gaz, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: There is a board game called do Daddy.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: That's probably where I just.
Speaker 2: Asked, mister Google the dice game.
Speaker 1: She did refer to a board game. I think when she first asked about it. It's just a made up just a mate copyright. Yeah, someone would own it. Tim is on the line with a really tricky one. I think a lot of journalists come to grips with this on daily basis. Hello, Tim, that's probably.
Speaker 3: Where I heard it from.
Speaker 4: I'm wanting to know it's the right word.
Speaker 5: Disoriented or disorientated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry. I've got bad news for you.
Speaker 1: It's both.
Speaker 2: They are both. Yes, they're both in the Oxford they're both equally accepted. Strictly speaking, I suppose disoriented would be more accurate. Disorientated comes later, and it is a back formation from disorientation. So orient originally meant looking east, That's what the word means, and then it meant, you know, pointing in a particular direction or focused in a particular direction, and if you're not focused in any direction, you are disoriented. Now that led Ryan, that gave rise to constructions of it, one of which was orientational disorientation. And while people were talking about being oriented or disoriented as a back formation from orientation, disoriented, orientated or disorientated was constructed. That happened in the early eighteen hundreds. So it happened a long time ago. And what happens is if they start being used in the English language, they become part of the English language. So both words with exactly the same meaning are acceptable these days.
Speaker 4: Fantastic, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I hope that helps. I caught a flight from Asia to Australia. I was disoriented.
Speaker 2: You were deoriented.
Speaker 1: I felt disoriented.
Speaker 2: Though, yes, all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I shouldn't be going on side tracks because we have a lot of text to get through kem and the jokes are really bad by now. I'll get him angry if I keep going. Not likely, is Freddie. Regarding blind Freddie.
Speaker 2: Says, ray, oh, look, there are theories about this, and the one that most of the dictionaries publishes that there was a blind beggar in Sydney in the early years of the twentieth century, so early nineteen hundreds, who was well known around Sydney and who was known as Blind Freddie. I've got this lovely theory of mine, which no one else supports, and for which I found no documentary evidence, but I think it goes back about fifty years earlier than that, and was Sir Frederick. Sir Frederick Pottinger. Sir Frederick Pottinger was an English baronet, young man in his twenties, who was set out here by his family because he disgraced himself back at home, and because this baronet with the title arrived in New South Wales, he was appointed to be head of a patrol of troopers to find Ben Hall. Well, of course Ben Hall the master of the bush and the bush that was filled with his friends. Sir Frederick didn't have a chance, so he never found him. And I would like it to be the case that he was the original Blind Freddie.
Speaker 1: That's a good theory. That's a good theory. Brett wants to know about fully sick Broull is one of the things kids say these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ask a kid look fully sick bro I'm sorry, ask a twelve year old. Yeah, nowadays, kids use sick to mean good. Bro is a Black American abbreviation of brother. Why any white Australian would say bro? I have no idea. I don't care. If they're only fifteen, they should know better. It belongs in the ghettos and America American street language. I think it's really stupid here.
Speaker 1: It's picked up a lot, though, I hear it a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Oh, there's lots of idiots around, so that's why you've heard it a lot, because there's a lot of stupid people around. But it's a stupid expression. So that's where the bro comes from. It's just nuts and sick means sick. Is one of these things where it was originally negative and the kids use it to mean good. So fully sick just means really good.
Speaker 1: It's gone out of my head. But there is a word, is there not for using a word that's the opposite of the meaning you're expressing.
Speaker 2: What is that? Antony?
Speaker 1: Music and anthony antonym Because when you say something sick to say it's good, or if you say something's if you're being sarcastia. Yeah, yeah, it's probably just sarcasm. It's just very bad swaying anyway, Peter won't call them actors an actress.
Speaker 2: Not calling them bro. That's a really really silly word, Paul. Sorry, you got me started now you shouldn't have got me onto this. It really is an idiotic word. It's an really silly expression. What about brother, Oh, brother's okay, Yeah, brother's fine, brother.
Speaker 1: I noticed that's catching on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh well among Christians it's been used for about two thousand years. Good morning brother, Good morning sist. So that's not new, that's fine, but bro, spare spare me days.
Speaker 1: Paul lind also played Uncle Arthur in the sixties TV show Bewitched with Elizabeth Montgomery. Thank you, Fred, yes he did. How come we can have a waiter and a waitress, asks Anna, but not an actor and an actress.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't have a waiter and a waitress anymore. They are now officially called weight persons. I know it's stupid and it's a really really dumb construction in the English language. But because the woke are bullies are therefore people who employ persons to weight on tables have to call them weight persons these days.
Speaker 1: I don't mind flight attendant. A lot of the other wokism irritate the heck out of me. But flight attendant, I don't know. It seems to be nicely neutral.
Speaker 2: No flight attendants not too dad dear, that's okay.
Speaker 1: I can't think of any other stuff off the top of my head. That actually all over, Red Raver asks Scott had.
Speaker 2: No idea, no idea. It's simply the kind the English language likes. Expressions are phrases, idioms which contain rhythm and rhyme. And any expression which contains rhythm and rhyme will be taken up by the language, will be remembered by people, be repeated by people all over. A Red Rover is simply a rhyming way of saying it's over. It's nothing more than that the creator was anonymous, and we don't know when.
Speaker 1: Now we'll go to the break with Jules, who sent a text in expanding on our reference to oh lord, it's hard to be humble. She says, Oh lord, it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way. I'm not going to sing it. I can't wait to look in the mirror because I get better looking each day. That's from mac Davis in nineteen seventy four. Thank you, Jules, it's twenty four to eleven. Don't waste time. We've got a lot to get through here. On the text line, Kell and calls coming in too. Mark wants to know when they say on the music shows and similar forums their new album is dropping tomorrow. Why is it dropping? I think that's an expression used in other forms, isn't it or is it just music?
Speaker 2: I don't know, just off the top of my hit, I can't remember being used any world. It is simply music people trying to be I mean, it's been released tomorrow, is what's happening? Why you would choose to say it's dropping tomorrow. I've got no idea. It's just music people who don't speak English quite like the rest of us, and they were really super cool.
Speaker 1: Maybe in the old days when that the record moved up and then dropped on the platter. Maybe maybe well where it came from.
Speaker 2: That's what they're not talking about. That they're talking about it being released released the day it's released as the day it drops, so it becomes available to the public on that day. I can sort of under it's figurative language. It's a metaphor. I could understand the figurative language. I can understand the metaphor, and I suppose it's a bit cooler them saying it's been released tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This text has no name, but it says I remember our male neighbor when he had a few too many singing that song It's hard to be humble every weekend, and he was no Brad Pitt. George is on the line with the question, Hello.
Speaker 4: George, look at ahl and join us thing tonight. I know you were talking about do Daddy a few minutes ago, and the first thing that came to mind were those beach Party movies of the sixties with Frankie Avalon Annette Foncello, and they used to have a character in those movies called Big Daddy. And I think it's an African American thing to tack on something to Daddy, you know, like do Daddy and Big Daddy. And you might remember the Yardbirds in the UK were a very famous sixties English group. They made their name at the craw Daddy Club in the UK. So it's I think it's a beatnik African American thing that developed in the fifties and sixties. So that's that's what came to mind.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it became popular because Tennessee Williams used it in one of his players, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I think Burl Eives played Big Daddy in the movie, I think. But it goes back to the late eighteen hundreds, eight and nineties anyone who was domineering. Actually, originally it meant someone who was really sort of domineering and influential was big Daddy. And it may go back to American politics because American Tammany Hall politics was famously corrupt, and there would be a big Daddy who called the shots and ran the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, George, Is that your only question?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 4: Well, well, actually the reason I called was, well, our indigenous brothers and sisters or are always in the news, but just lately, and this is a thing you may have dealt with before kill is our indigenous brothers and sisters keep referring to themselves as our mob. And I keep shaking my head because word mob is a pejorative term. It's a negative term, and I can't understand why they keep refusing that word our mob. Oh.
Speaker 2: Quite often, terms which started off as prijority terms are adopted by groups of people as positive terms. So when Methodists were first called Methodists, it was meant to be an insult, and they just took it up and said, yes, we'll call ourselves Methodists, so that quite often happens. Mob comes from the word mobile, so it means any any group of people or animals that can move, that can move around. So that's where it originally came from. But it's an English word. It's not an Aboriginal word, fairly obviously, and it was used in Australia for a mob of sheep or a mob of caple cattle or whatever, and Aboriginal people adopted it as a good collective noun. They liked it, they chose to use it, and they use it a lot now. In fact, they've used it a great deal for I would think over one hundred years.
Speaker 1: Thanks George, Good on you mate. Brett's on the line waiting patiently with another interesting one. Hello Brad, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Gay, Bill and Kel.
Speaker 1: Yesterday Fordham made a comment on his show about a blike who had a machete.
Speaker 5: Down his dacks.
Speaker 3: How do you get dax from a pair of pants?
Speaker 2: My memory is, and I'm just I can find it quickly. It was a proprietary name there was a manufacturer by that name, a proprietary name for a brand of clothes.
Speaker 1: Like people say Hoover for vacuuming.
Speaker 2: Exactly the same thing, that's right, or sell it tape instead of a sticky tape. It's that kind of thing. There was a company called s Simpson Limited. I've just opened up my Oxford database so I don't memorize all of this stuff in Stoke Newington Road in London, and they manufactured trousers under the brand name Dax And it was just a brand name that caught on and applied to all trousers then. So it'd be nice if there was a really exciting but it's just a brand name.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go, Brett, there's a bit of history for us. Jude Jaw and Jim Crack are also do Dad's true, says Sarah. There you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, we will take your word for that. Bill and I are thoroughly convinced you know exactly what you're talking about. We've taken your word for that.
Speaker 1: We will Joyce says My mother used to tell us she would knock us into the middle of next week when we were naughty. What do you think of that? One?
Speaker 2: She says, yes, it's actually the interesting thing about these expressions is the way they survive and the way they are passed on from one set of parents to another. So it must be part of the oral culture, because there's not a set of instructions when you become a parent. You know, one of the things you can say when the kids play up, when the kids will say, we'll knock you into the middle of next week. There's no book that tells you that. But nevertheless, these things get passed down from one generation to another and from one set of parents to another, and they are simply good expressions. They're nice expressions that convey what you want to convey to the kids with being too physical.
Speaker 1: Now, this is a good one, Kel because I often wonder if people these days understand it. As a journalist, I do, obviously, But Susan says, what does it mean when you see in brackets sic after a paragraph in the paper? And where does it come from?
Speaker 2: It comes from Latin, and it may what does it mean Latin? It means the idea of s I C means that's the way it was originally. So if they're running a quote from someone in the middle of it there's a mispronounced or misspelled word. They put sick afterwards in brackets to say he did it, not me. What does sick mean in Latin? I'm trying to remember my Latin. Someone who knows who learned Latin and remembers their high school Latin call up and tell us.
Speaker 1: Please, Yeah, I know what it's for, but I didn't know the origin, so I never studied Latin this one. What about the saying strike me pink? Says Mick.
Speaker 2: It's simply that pink is meant to be the color of good health. If you've gone pink, then you're you're looking good and you're fine. You know, you're doing really well. So strike me pink was that kind of expression of surprise.
Speaker 1: Getting back to Bro, Mark says, hey, Bro, you're going to upset the kiwheeze.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Wherever it came from, there's no doubt they do a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh oh, sick means so so. In other words, if you put that in brackets, say it was so how they did it? It was so?
Speaker 1: Thank you Okay, thank you by the way too for that text message. Mark, that was an interesting observation. Pats on the line with another one. Now, I know that Bruce Willis and I think die Hard made famous a version of this, saying Hello Pat.
Speaker 5: Good evening guys, thanks to the show and thanks Cal. You're absolutely I think, And you know, my mother was an elocution teacher, so it's quite amazing how you are still attained all your knowledge yp io.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: To the best of my knowledge, it's an American Western expression and it was a cry used by cowboys to words catle on. Now. I think that's where it came from, and I would think it would have been recorded by well at least from the eighteen sixties. It may have been recorded earlier than that, but it was the kind of yell or cry or shout that someone driving cattle would use to move the cattle on.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure Bruce Willis used the term yippie kaya kaiya instead of which I was familiar with. But someone can tell.
Speaker 2: Us there'll be there will be various versions of it, so there won't be one version because it was part of or the oral language, and it was just part of a bit of slang. I mean, it was the just using yippee was used as an exclamation of delight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they just tried to put a spelling on it. Yeah, it was just a sound. It's a quarter to eleven. This is Kel Richards with words. We've still got plenty of texts here. We'll get through as many as we can after this, where with Kel Richard's with words and we'll do as best we can in the last five minutes or so. This is a good one from Mark, who says Kel just wondering when dealing with food using the word helping came about.
Speaker 2: It's recorded from eighteen twenty odd to a serving of food, and it comes from the idea of help yourself. In other words, food was commonly served in the middle of the table, and everyone helped themselves to some of the roast, some of the vegetable, some of the whatever. And because you helped yourself, what you got out of it was are helping?
Speaker 1: Jukebox? Asks Alan. That's interesting because is it related to the old duke joints back in the early days when the African Americans had those places? I wonder, yeah, or is that an entirely different thing. Jukeboxes still exist, don't know. I can't imagine they would because everything's digital now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it comes from a West African word which was taken to America a West African language called Gulla, and it was pronounced duke or juke, and originally it meant to live wickedly, to live really badly.
Speaker 1: I think it is connected to the duke joints.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, so you could have a juke house or a juke joint, which might be a brothel, or it might be a roadhouse or a cheap roadside establishment. So probably I would think that the juke box got the first part of its name from that, because they were machines that played music in those kinds of places.
Speaker 1: Yes, the big cheese, asks Pamela, the big cheese when it comes to words.
Speaker 2: Well, a big cheese, I mean someone who's important. It's a bit like big daddy. Originally an American expression, and it was used for someone who was self important, who thought he was the big cheese. So I'm presuming that it was originally meant to be a kind of a put down, you know, someone who thought really well of himself. Look at he thinks he's the big cheese. And cheese is not that important unless it's really nicely important. French trees, it's not that important. So it's a way of putting down someone who was very impressed by himself.
Speaker 1: What about on a cracker with a glass of red. Now we're getting somewhere. Yes, a lot of people, David, thank you.
Speaker 2: Do you know the sort of person. There's a friend of mine and he speaks very well of himself.
Speaker 1: No names, no patrol. Yes, well, where'd that come from?
Speaker 2: No name's no patrel.
Speaker 1: We can't have a conversation really without stopping.
Speaker 2: It comes from the army, that's right.
Speaker 1: And yes, Harvey as well. A lot of people got the Latin meaning for sick, by the way, congratulating a few people in case you're wondering, we do note these things. Rebecca, well done. A whole stack of people had that correct.
Speaker 2: Can I just say thank you for that because my brain went totally blank. I'd filed that in some sort of brain cell that it since died, and it did finally come back to me, but it took a while, So thank you. You're very helpful.
Speaker 1: Wendy's got a funny one by two grandsons nine to twelve and nine years of age call each other brother or bro, which we think is cute. They haven't got it from the US because they're too young. Oh, then they are brothers, Wendy.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes they have. BRO was not coined here. Bro is imported here from America, and it turns up on too many television things and somewhere on television. They've heard it. All their friends have heard it on television, and they've picked it up from them. I'm sorry it did come from America, even for your wonderful grandsons.
Speaker 1: Now, Allan says Kell, and he's full of praise. Your opinion on the meaning of the word youth was ultimately supported by the judge and the Newington co Ed Versus Boys' school court case the word wizard.
Speaker 2: As I mentioned last week, the people who were running the case did contact me, very nice lady, lovely lady, and I was very sympathetic to her cause. But I said, you will not win it on the meaning of the word youth because it is not gender specific. And I did a bit of digging in the Oxford and elsewhere for information to back that up and gave it to her. But they ignored my advice, ran the case anyway, and did not win.
Speaker 1: John makes a good point. I hope I've got you right here, John. When you're saying there's no such thing as daylight savings. It's daylight saving. But John, you will seem to make it a plural.
Speaker 2: Yes, John, you are exactly right, and you and I stand together on this one. It is the saving of daylight during the day. It is an action. It's not money, it's not a thing. It's an action. And so it's the action of daylight saving. And people who make it plural displaying their sheer ignorance.
Speaker 1: I took my cash to the bank yesterday, kel is that daylight savings? Sorry? Are you sorry? You warned me, didn't you not to make cheapid dad jokes?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, dad jokes.
Speaker 2: It's just jos dad jokes.
Speaker 1: Come on, I'm just about to walk out. Stay with me for another minute and a half if you don't mind two minutes, Wade says, Hi, gentlemen, there were stacks of dack slacks on racks, as the saying.
Speaker 2: I recall, Ah, yes, and I think it might have been used in advertising. Was it ever used in radio advertising?
Speaker 1: It could have been. I don't remember, to be honest, but it sounds like it was. Let's go quickly through. I've lost my place. I've lost my place up to the oldest. Let's go back to the email line for a second, because this is one I really liked. Flotsam and jetsam. Elizabeth wanted to know.
Speaker 2: The difference started out in maritime law. Flotsam is the wreckage of a ship that floats. The bits of wreckage which float are the flotsam, and you can see that if you look at the word the bits of and gets washed up on the shore. The bits of wreckage which are thrown overboard when a ship is in trouble is the jetsam.
Speaker 1: As in jettison, as in jettison.
Speaker 2: So that's the flotsam, and that's the jets And when it comes to collecting whatever legal prize you're allowed to collect when you collect a w recship, it makes a big difference. Apparently, flotsam there is no the original owners can't have a claim on.
Speaker 1: A couple of quick ones. Alan wants to know Khaki or khaki.
Speaker 2: Oh, Kaki always khaki shoot anyone. Anyone says khaki shoot them.
Speaker 1: Where does that come from? Though? Why did they start saying that? Is it American past? Just like they say aluminum?
Speaker 2: You know, no, No, aluminum is a totally different story. Why would they say that. If you think back to mash they didn't say they didn't say khaki. They said khaki, didn't they?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It comes from part of India. It came into Britain when India was part of the British Empire. It comes from a language called Urdu and it means dust colored.
Speaker 1: And will say goodbye with Jason clarifying I was right when it came to die Hard and Bruce Willis. He said yippie kaye.
Speaker 2: And something else which is unusable on a family program.
Speaker 1: Correct And with that, Kel Richards, thank you so much. That went quickly, didn't it. You'll be back next week
Speaker 2: You will, I will say, mate, there he is the great Kill Richards