Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Yes, good morning. I hope you're going well. Thanks to Milsey and Carl and his hard working team for the Brecky Show this morning. Thanks for listening in. We're here until one o' quick. Love to hear from you. One double three a two talk back radio station, talk back show. Give us a call if you want to weigh in on some of our topics or maybe even tell us something you reckon. Your fellow six PR listeners should know about all the people listening on the app today, and I know there's a lot of you. Keep those texts coming in zero four eight seven, triple nine a day two. If you're like me and you're a parent and you've got some either anxiety or ADHD type issues in your family, I think it's I don't think i'm alone here. Anecdotally, I feel that it's a bit of an industry ADHD and there's some new figures out showing that it's being over diagnosed and you know, perhaps profit driven. So we'll talk about that on the show today. I'm a parent who's involved in this massive eighty eight DHD anxiety type industry and it's not a blood test, it's a questionnaire and we'll have a look at that on the program a little bit later on today. It was last year that the state government promised schools, local governments and community groups seven million bucks to plant trees to replace trees that have been knocked down because of the poly faker shothole borer. No tree has been planted as yet. We'll talk to Walga Karen Chapel a little bit later on about all of that. When will that money be spent?
Speaker 3: When?
Speaker 2: What's the hold up? The Chief Economists of the Housing Industry Association, Tim Ridden is jumping into the studio today. We'll look at the housing, the current market, the strains on the building industry, and the various backlogs thereof that's coming up in just a second, and I'm going to speak to Rida Safiotti in just the moment about violence at junior sport. And that's our yes no question today. I wanted to try and clear something up straight away if we could, right.
Speaker 4: Let's clear this up once and for all.
Speaker 2: So yes or no is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue. So there are these allegations from a game of junior's football, junior soccer up in Mindari on the weekend that a forty six year old bloke from Whitford City Football Club allegedly has strangled a player from the Mindari Footy Club Soccer club. And I what are you seeing and hearing? Is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? And I'm not, sort of, I'm more interested in what you're actually seeing if you're a parent, or a grandparent or a cara of you know, a seven, eight, nine, ten through to sixteen year old who's playing netball in the winter, maybe playing footy, maybe playing rugby league, rugby union. What are you seeing on the sidelines? Is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? I'm not. I'm probably more interested in what you're actually seeing rather than what you're reading in the paper or hearing on six PR or seeing on the TV. This is an extreme example when sports stories go from the back page to the front pages when they become news. It's a concern now readers. Afioti is the sports minister, but she's also a parent, and I'm going to talk to her in those two capacities a bit later.
Speaker 5: On.
Speaker 2: I think at least one of reader's kids play soccer too. So is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? What are you's seeing? What are you noticing? How is your sport handling it? All of the sports, well, most of the sports sign up to true Sport, which is the state government program. True Sport has an advisory committee and tries to get essentially he tries to get kids to enjoy sport, and they do look at the behavior of parents as well, and of coaches and officials and managers and the like. So what I try and clear this up today for you is the side line behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? What are you seeing? What are you hearing? Yes or no? We'll keep a pole throughout the course of the show today. Murray Watt was in Perth last week, as you know, the Environment Minister, and he met with various people. We're trying to find out who he met with. We understand he has met with Roger Cook, the Premier, and this is over the extension of the Woodside project up at the bar up up at the Northwest Shelf. We're trying to find out who he actually met with. Now either through coincidence or fortuitously, a rock has emerged in the argument which may have some bearing on what the industry on the bar Up is doing to the rocks and potentially to the rock art. So I'm going to talk to Paul Garvey from The Australian in just a moment. A small bit of rock has just has fortuitously come to the surface and been revealed, and it seems to indicate that there has been damage to the rocks at the bar Up. So I'll get Paul Garby to explain that to you in just a moment. But want to try and clear this up from you today. Is a sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue, got one, yes so far. This is the allegations that are forty six year old man who'll have his day in court strangled an eleven year old kid kids okay, didn't require medical treatment, but strangled a kid from Mindari on Sunday. Now both the both Football West Whitford City Football Club and Mindari have moved pretty quickly on this bloke and these are allegations. Only have his day in court in June. But yeah, what are you seeing or what's your understanding. Is sideline behavior by parents in junior's sport still an issue? You've got one yes and one though. We'll keep keep a tally of that poll as the show goes on today. Thanks for listening to him. You can call us zero. You can text to zero four seven, rip nine eighty two, or on this top you can call us. What is your sport doing to improve parent behavior? Is this a soccer issue? Is it a football issue? Or is what's footy doing? What's netball doing? Netball? It's pretty good, I reckon. Netball has a good code of behavior. You know, the players clap when the other team scores, scores a points, scores a goal. Netball, I reckons probably in pretty reasonable shape. But what are you seeing at football? At soccer, rugby league and rugby union? How the parents behaving? It is not always the coach having been a manager for seven or eight years. It's not always the coach or the assistant coaches. It can be the parents that behave badly. I'd love to hear from you one double three A two, Give me a call. What is your sport doing? What is your club doing? What are your kids doing? What is your coach doing? What is your manager doing and now are they signed up to the True Sport initiative? Fourteen minutes past nine, we will take a break. Thanks for listening. In today is yes, no question? Is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports issue? What are you seeing? Is this is a yes no question? Appearent from Whitford City Football Club is allegedly grabb an eleven year old kid by the neck on Sunday And from what I can gather these I think these are called mini rus this competition, it's for under elevens and under twelves. So the bloke you know, these are allegations and this guy will have his day in court. Can't do that. I wouldn't have thought one double three eight Eddy two. Lots of texts coming in from our listeners. Anthony says it's absolutely a massive issue. Is at a game on the weekend and the local elite area of football club close to the city lady team manager abusing her own volunteer staff and was aggressive. Everyone's shocked and it basically set the tone for the game. Not a good look, says Anthony. This one here from Donna. Hello Donna. Donna says, we watch our grandchildren every week and they're still unacceptable behavior by parents and coaches, but it has improved since our kids played. I'm still yes, says Donna. Lots of correspondence coming in from our listeners today. So what are you seeing and hearing? If you're a parent of or a grandparent or a care of a kid one double three eight eight two. Scott's phoned in high Scott, How are you good? Mate? What have you seen?
Speaker 6: Disclaimer?
Speaker 7: I'm not concerning any behavior, but just a slightly different perspective. I remember seeing in a junior footy game years ago, years and years ago, a kid, fourteen year old kid my size, six foot ninety cakes just beating another kid's senseless that was much much smaller, And the father of the kid being beaten up actually ran onto the field hit the fourteen year old kid to get him off his son, purely from prospective, you know, for protection. So I kind of think, you know, I certainly don't think it's the right thing to do, but you can see, as a father myself, if you're seeing a kid getting beaten sense.
Speaker 6: You may react what sport mate?
Speaker 2: Ifl yeah, okay, all right, yeah, no, that's we'll find out what happened in this situation, and we don't know a lot about it with the Mindari Whitford's thing, Scott. But we'll know a little bit more, I think once it gets to court. Thanks for your call, mate, Thanks for chatting to us, Thanks for listening. Appreciated. One double three A two basketball Still seeing ugly parents in basketball? One double three two. I'll get to your correspondence today. So we're doing a yes no today. Is sideline behavior of parents in junior sport still an issue? What are you seeing? The yeses are nine and the nose are too well?
Speaker 8: Murray?
Speaker 2: What was in town last week? He's the environment minister. He didn't get around to chatting to anybody on six PR, but he spoke to some other media outlets and Murray, what is expected to make a decision, an actual decision, not delay the decision again on whether Woodside's lease will be extended. This is at the bar up in the northwest Shelby. It could happen this Saturday from what we're here seeing and reading now. I don't know if this is just a coincidence or for Tudor's timing, but a UWA professor side of the existence of a rock that's been sitting in a Melbourne office for some thirty years. The rock is from the bar Up. Paul Garvey as the story from the Australian joins us now goaday, Paul, good to talk to you. Yeah good, so few too tell us about this rock.
Speaker 9: Look, So to go back a step, basically, since since heavy industry opened up on the Barrock Peninsula or up around dam Here Karata Way, there's been ongoing debate about whether the emissions from that heavy industry was affecting all the rock art that is throughout that area, and so there's been a massive study going on for many years, funded by the state government and Woodside to investigate whether in fact those emissions are causing any damage or erosion to the rock cart and the rocks that host that rock art. The latest report from that came out late last Friday. The summary of that said, look, nothing to see here. We can see that there's been some damaged cause, but we're comfortable that that damage was caused before that industry as we know it today was in place, but it was other facilities. The power station was up there at that time that put out the pollution that caused this damage. So we're happy with what's going on here, and that was a really massive step for Murray Watt to have that in his hands, for the federal government to be able to go, Okay, we can go ahead and approve this project knowing that we've got the scientific all clear on the rock up That's where this UWA professor steps in and says, guys, I've got this rock here, which was actually taken from the borough in the early nineties and has sat in this Melbourn office ever since. So his argument is that if indeed it was emissions from this power plant that was in place before the current heavy industry came to the borough that caused the damage, then that rock would show that damage as well. And he's saying, look, we've studied this rock, we've looked at it. We can see that there's none of that damage that you're seeing up there today in this rock that was taken from the nineties. So his argument really is you can't believe that it was indeed those earlier missions that caused the damage and not the current facilities.
Speaker 2: So he's plenty of so by extension, Paul, he's calling that report that we saw last week that you and I read he's calling that into question.
Speaker 9: Absolutely yes, and he says that this rock here is the smoking gun that shows that some of the key conclusions from that scientific study are off the mark. And so every environmentalist, every activist who's been campaigning against this project is going to seize on this and say, look, Murray White is saying, you want to make a decision based on the best science, on the top research, you need to slow down and consider this alternative argument here. I mean, and the professor says, there's some incredible science that's been done by these researchers. There's a whole pile of data there, really important data. But you know that is only I guess as good as the interpretation in a lot of ways, and he's an alternative interpretation that really.
Speaker 10: Needs to be considered.
Speaker 2: And also I'm talking to Paul Garvey from the Australian Listeners. Paul, also in your article you raise what I think is an important point. This isn't This isn't Ben Smith from UWA. This is not his research. This has been done elsewhere, hasn't it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's had some associations, but I think it's a PhD student of his who's been working at the University of Bond in Germany. The rock itself was collected by Robert Bednrick, who is an absolute employent of that archaeological profession and the Northwest Shelf region Jugga Peninsula. He was sort of the godfather of archaeology in that area. He's the one who took this rock thirty years ago and had kept it meticulously in his office ever since. So this rock was yeah, assessed as part of that PhD in Germany.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, And interestingly, I mean it's a political issue as well, Paul, as you and I know that mister Albanisi and Murray wat said we'll make this decision based on science and on data, you know, and they've got that report it in their back pocket. So this is new news. And Ben Smith, we understand from UWA, he will be holding a press conference today, as will Roger Cook around about midday.
Speaker 9: Not together by any means, but yeah, they will be. Yeah, I've just seen they're an alert go out that Ben Smith will be out there.
Speaker 11: Speaking on this.
Speaker 9: I think the opponents to this gas project have jumped on this too, and we'll be trying to put this up in lights saying look, you know, this is new information. It needs to be taken into account. Murray, what though, has insisted basically since he was sworn in that this decision wouldn't be delayed any longer. Woodside has been in this process for six years. They want to see this thing go ahead. They want the certainty to to know that they can invest the pretty incredible sums of money they need to invest to keep this going. And you know for the energy grid as well. It's an important project to keep GUS going. There's lots of customers in Asia relying on it. But then there's a political headache too for the government here. You know, they need to make sure they can get decision out and in a way that's not going to come back and bite them in a lot of those inner city seats they now hold at the next election in three years time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Thanks for chatting to us, Paul. I think I've been watching issue for some time as have you. What do you reckon Murray? What's going to do?
Speaker 9: I've got little doubt that he will approve it. I feel like he's sort of been out with an easy, sort of trouble shooter over the first time of government and when he was brought in, it seemed a pretty clear sign to me that the government wanted this to get approved. And I mean the economic implications of this project for the country are enormous. It's it's something that I think all tears of government want to see go ahead stout finding a way to I guess, sell that and get it in an appropriate kind of way and make sure that any conditions that need to be imposed will be imposed.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think there's an imperative from the government to see this sorted out and sorted out early so that any political skin that's lost from this will have healed, you know, by the time that next election rolls around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Paul, thank you for talking to us. Good story. Thank You's my Paul Garvey from the Australian. So there's a bit of a Bundi has turned up. A rock has turned up from way back thirty years of age that seems to indicate that the report that was handled down last week that there has been damaged done from the emissions on the bar up and it's yeah, so I mean there's plenty of politics in this. But Professor Benjamin Smith has put out a statement and it's about the porosity or the poorous nature of this particular rock. So I'll bring parts of that to you. It's reasonably technical. But there as a rock turned up in the last week, the last week before Murray Watt's making his decisions. So it could be Fortudois from the activists and the protesters, or you know, maybe this is the timing of it all. We are putting quiries into the Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the chains of Reminds and the industry about did they meet with Murray what last week? We get to hear back. Still, we get to hear back from Murray Watt as well while we're While we're at it, go and talk to readA Saffiotti in just a moment. She's the sports minister. She's also a junior sport parent. I think she might even be a soccer parent about the allegations around what we heard on the soccer incident from the weekend from Sunday up in Mindari, stay listening.
Speaker 13: Moving well, Mitchell, Guanana, Graham, Varmer and the tunnel this morning. No major delays across the CBD, Reed and Tonkin Highway.
Speaker 2: Earlier issues have disappeared.
Speaker 13: Row Highway northbound still a bit slow Nicholson Road in Langford. I'm Rob bever On, Perth Traffic Leader six PR.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk to Rita Safioty in just a moment. She is the Minister for Sport and Recreation in in Wa, but she's importantly I'm going to talk to her capacity as the mum of junior sports kids. I wonder what she's seeing. We're asking the question today is a sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? The yes is are ten and the nose of four. Thank you for your correspondence or get as much of that published and broadcast as humanly possible. Gid A Steve, I am yeah, good mate. You're a ex LLA cross player, but you've been involved in another sport.
Speaker 14: Yeah, obviously played bla cross quade, an aggressive sport. Coached and managed junior football and soccer. A son played two years of soccer, and I found that the parents were the most aggressive in that form of the sport, mainly because of the frustration I can see in low scoring and obviously lack of physical contact. It's allowed, and when there was physical contact the parents used to get aggressed.
Speaker 2: So might be a soccer thing, and these allegations will be heard in court. You might be a soccer thing, mate, you reckon, But with our parent behavior, yeah, I.
Speaker 14: Actually didn't notice it a lot more and the son played a lot of junior sport and I didn't all my sons have. I noticed that the soccer aggression from the parents was the worst. Lot in the other sports, the aggression was towards the referee, which it's trying to stop. I mean, I actually wore a high vis vest to control crowds in soccer, so that made sure that parents kept the aggression to a lower level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thanks for chating to Steve.
Speaker 14: No problem at all, his mate.
Speaker 2: So is a sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? So this is an extreme example, isn't it from what we heard on Sunday? And then the allegation is a forty six year old man from Whitford's football club got his hands onto the neck of an eleven year old player from Mindari Rita Safiotti is the sports minister in wah also the mum of some kids who played junior sport. Hi readA thanks your time, Hi, So how are you going good? Thanks? Are you worried about this or do you think this is an extreme and isolated incident.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think this is an extreme incident. I don't say I've never seen anything like it in my many watching of many games on the sidelines, So I think this is an extreme incident. But it goes back to the point of respect and being there to encourage your kids and not to take it as seriously as some do, which and we've seen it, some parents take it very seriously.
Speaker 2: Are your kids soccer kids?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Yeah, all three play soccer and there's an netball as well, so so what they will play soccer and one plays netball as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. Do you see any difference in the culture of the and the behavior of parents between netball and soccer rita.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think the netball parents.
Speaker 16: Are a bit quieter.
Speaker 15: I'd say that soccer parents polly a little bit louder, But again it just varies depending on the teams, and it depends, I think of the divisions that you're playing and how seriously people are taking it.
Speaker 16: But look, it is, it is varied.
Speaker 15: I went to an interschool game actually the other day and there was a parent just abusing the lines but just constantly until they were pulled up. So it does vary, it does very according to the games.
Speaker 17: But look, I.
Speaker 15: Think in all of this, you know, kids are out there, they're trying their best, and you can see it when there's too much aggression. It sometimes really turns them off and they don't want to code back. Whether it's the you know, it's the kid's parents or other kids, you know, they get turned off. And and the other ish of course is volunteers and alignsmen and refs and so forth. You know, you don't want we need to get more kids volunteering and or you know being refs or linesmen and all you know, coaches and so forth. So having this abusive type of language all our behavior does turn I think a lot of kids off.
Speaker 2: In I don't know if you're across this yet, reader, and you know you've had your feet under the under the sports desk for a while now, But there's a crew at Sports West called True Sport and they try to look after the behavior of parents. And I would broadly think that True Sports had a pretty good impact, you know, through through all the sports that the state government funds. So I would think the incidents are becoming less. But you know, it's one thing for coaches and managers and players to be told, But then your parents are a different cohort, aren't they, And they do get they do get pretty side up.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and you're right. I have been briefed on True Sport and last week I entered a Sports West event where they acknowledge the role of True Sport in supporting volunteers in particular with mental health challenges, but more generally about sideline behavior. So there is some really positive messaging coming out from that program and also ways for clubs to handle these incidents too. So it's an excellent program which I've been briefed on and I've seen it already in relation to the messaging on the sideline that you see every week at the different competitions. So I think it is improving and it's more isolated, but suddenly we need to all work on. And then, as I said, in particular, because it's the kids and you want them to want to you know, you want them to want to stay out there playing, and as I said, sometimes you can see it where they just get turned off because of some of that sideline behavior. You want your kids to be able to to pate in a safe environment and you want't to enjoy it too, And so that's why these types of incidents, like I said, they are isolated, but we don't want to see these types of incidents on the sideline for any game I'm in any competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, while I've got you, Okay, will the will the Thornleigh Coburn rail link be open on schedule? I think during the Monday Dune the ninth. Is that going to happen?
Speaker 15: Rita, Yes, that's right, yep.
Speaker 2: So that's all that's all planned and good to go.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we've been doing extensive driver training, so it's all ready to go. The stations are ready to go, and so that will commence. I think our community open day is the June the eighth, the Sunday to June the eighth, and during the ninety it opens for normal services.
Speaker 2: And are you I know the PTA are aware because we spoke to a bloke who lives in Dagley shyesterday on the show and he's worried about train line squeal in Daglish. Come across your desk.
Speaker 15: Yes it has, and so I think they did. Note we have been investing into trying to reduce some of that train noise, in particular some treatments on the tracks to reduce that train noise. I think the community is I supposed divided and whether they want to consider noise wars. But we've done some testing and we believe that without further work that's been undertaken, it's now below some of the limits that have been sent in relation to noise noise. So we have done some work working with the community to try and reduce that noise on the turnback.
Speaker 2: And just finally, I know you're a Frio fan and one of the great Prio players. Anthony Grove played two hundred games for Freer number fourteen. He's also the Combat Sports Commissioner, his heads up the Combat Sports Commissioner have had a chat to Groves yet about the ban Knuckle Championships. Where are you on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I did. Actually, both him and Maturer came in to brief me about the sport and in particular what they've been doing in relation to the regulation of that sport.
Speaker 16: So in relation to that sport that was put.
Speaker 15: Forward as in relations to that sport, there were some regulatory changes that were made that were signed off just before the last election, and that regulatory change was based on advice from the Combat Sports Commission saying that with extra precautions, they believe that bear knuckle boxing could have occurred in the state. So those regulations were changed. And now there's been an event that's come forward, So the Combat Sports Commission is going through that proposed event and in particular looking at what additional regulations could be put in place, in particular the experience of the boxes. The other point being the medical practitioners that need to be on hand, So they're working through that with this proposed event.
Speaker 2: It's not far away if it does happen when event organizers wanted to happen, So decision soon, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So the combat that's in front of the Combat Sports Commission. I think they've put forward a proposal, but as I said, there's a strong regulatory environment that they're put in place for this, in particular the levels of experience of the of the boxes, the medical practitioners that need to be on hand. So they're working through what safeguards and mechanisms can be put in place to make sure it can be done as safe as possible.
Speaker 2: Are you the ultimate arbiter on this reta.
Speaker 15: It's actually the Combat Sports Commission, who, as I said, the regulations have been changed.
Speaker 18: To allow it.
Speaker 15: So that was probably the key thing that happened. So the regulatory, the regulations changed that allowed the sport to be conducted in Wa. But then for an event, the Combats Sports Commission has to fantion that event and that's what's been worked through at the moment.
Speaker 2: All righty, and then you I think you meant when you talked about last week you mentioned potential for a veto from yourself. Do you think you need to.
Speaker 15: Exercise that not at this stage, As I said, the Combat Sports Commission have gone through and identified a number of safeguards and safeguards and mechanisms to make it as safe as possible. And they've been working through that and they seem.
Speaker 10: Very very rigorous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thank you for your time, Thanks for talking to our listeners.
Speaker 15: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Rita Safioti, Estate's Minister for Sport and Recreation. So that doesn't see bad behavior, her three kids play soccer, doesn't see it where she is, but did see it and into school. You know, some people are yelling at alignsment wonderble three A two. Is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? That's O yes, no question. I'll bring you up to date with that in just a moment. The Thornleigh Coburn Link will open on Monday during the ninth as promised for those people who'd send in that information. And looks like they're trying to trying to address always down at Daglish Siding. We talked about this yesterday on the show. There's still a thousand trains going in and out of the place each and every week. It's a lot, isn't it. We'll come back into some moment. Thanks for your thoughts. You can SMS is zero four eight seven triple nine A Dady two. You can SEMs SMSs on that number. You can call us one double three a Daddy two. Back in a moment, Jamie has sented an SMS which is funny. The rock, the rock that has fortuitously surfaced as we lead in going to the decision by Murray Watt on the Woodside extension of their lease and their and their contract, and I mentioned that it's to do with the that the rock is porous. The rock that's been in this office is porous, and Jamie says, I wonder where he's been keeping that rock. You said it's poor ass. Thanks Jamie. If you've done that deliberately, it's funny. If you've misspelled it, it's not as funny, but thanks. Bev says, good morning, Simon. Yet Abev, I think sideline behavior at sport is still a problem. So we'll put you in the Yes is good show. Thanks Bev. Good on you, one double three, eight to eighty two. Bernie says, I hear even Anthony Albanize is pumping for gas something about firming capacity. What does that mean, Bernie. I think he is saying that we are still going to need gas providing capacity in our energy provision until we trance make the transition to renewables. I think that's what that means, Bernie. I noticed that this morning being used in the news. Alan reckons that there's some hypocrisy here from Rita Safiotti. We're talking about violence in sports and parent behavior, but we are promoting UFC and yeah, and the Bare Knuckle Championship going to come here, So that's interesting. So it looks sounds like you're going to leave the decision to the sports Commission, the Combat Sports Commission, which is Anthony Grover and friends. Is the sideline. Behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue. The yes is a fifteen of the nose a seven, although a lot of people do note that it's probably getting better. And Lisa, Lisa, when my kids played oz Kick, we had a parent meeting before the season started. Yes, Lisa, I know we did that in the district where my young fellow played footy at Clamont's in the Clamont district. So yeah, we had at the Clamont Footy Club. Thanks for your thoughts today. I'll keep reading your comments. This one from Body Simon. In the Peel District Junior AFL competition, if adults cause incidents or abuse at the games, the parent of that team will lose E points, which goes to the latter system, which could cause that team to miss finals if they have too many E points. Also, the club will be fine x amount. Since it's been in place, there is minimal poor behavior from parents. Thanks Body, Yeah, the E point, we saw the environment point. I'm aware of that. That's how footy it tries to address bad behavior by parents, coaches, managers, assistant coaches, and the like. Thank you mate, good correspondence. Peter's phoned in.
Speaker 19: Hi, peterh goot it, Simon. I just wanted to talk about the rock card up there and the weather effect on it. The weather up there's I worked up there for four and a half years in the eighties, and one month there we had forty one degrees in a row. I went through a couple of cyclones up there. One of them was two hundred and fifteen k's an hour. I can't understand how it's still visible, which is weathering. It's got to have an effect. It's extreme weather up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, mate, Yeah, absolutely right. And that's was the two hundred and fifteen k cyclone. Was that, Bobby, I think it was.
Speaker 19: I can't remember the name of it, Yeah, but it was. It was pretty bad. Yeah, I couldn't stand up in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what it was.
Speaker 19: It was out there.
Speaker 2: It was Friday, I think, Bobby was the nineties. I think you were there in the eighties, Peter, Thank you and Peter. I just looked the report that's coming out from Ben Smith. Benjamin Smith is at UWA. He speaks very specifically about the still pollution levels of sophur diok side and nicos oxide from the nearby industry. So he he's going really hard on the emissions from the from the industry up there, which is different to what you're saying. Appreciate your comments, Peter, Thank you, Okay, thanks so you mate, Peter from who worked at the bar Up in the in the nineteen eighties one double three a eighty two. So interesting that a UWA academic is getting involved in the politics of this so long story short. The government have had a long running report, it's called the m R a MP Report. I'll try and find out what that stands for, but that that report has just has basically said, look, the damage to the rocks and the rock art on the bar Up Peninsula predated. What's the industry that's there now. He came from an old an old power plant that was up there in I think it's in the nineteen seventies. So this this academic is coming out and has gone the report the mirror JUGA Rock Art Monitoring Program Report. Thank you team.
Speaker 20: So.
Speaker 2: Professor Smith Ben Smith has used one of his PhD students to study a rock that was taken from the bar Up thirty years ago and he's saying, because it's because of its how, it's because of its condition. The damage you're seeing to the current rock on the bar up is from industry softodox side of nier soxside. Interesting timing, Hey one double three A two. He's out today at midday making a statement, as is Roger Cook at a separate press conference, and we do believe that's around the Woodside project extension as well or the lease extension. Thanks for listening in today. Thanks for your correspondence and your thoughts. Lou says, I've been involved in AFL community umpiring for twenty seven years. A dog's sadden the postgame, my car eggs several times, and endless threats of my life, the things we do for the love of a sport. Thanks Lou, Keep up the good.
Speaker 10: Lo is that.
Speaker 2: Bigfooty grown up adult footy or is that junior footy? I'd imagine that's a grown up footy, Kylie says, Happy Tuesday, Simon. Thank you, Kylie. I hope the sports parents don't watch the likes of Minister Carey playing the man in Parliament. Thank you. This one here from Bear of a different BEV doesn't matter how much reta sugar coats. The issue rebare knuckle fighting. The government is saying it's okay to fight. Money talks, says BEV. And this story was fleshed out comprehensively by Jamie Burnett on the Weekends when he spotted that the legislation has been changed by David Templeman that the Combat Sports Commission should canvas bear knuckled fighting and the beer knuckle Fighting Championships, which is still planned to come to Perth Groves. If you're listening, Anthony Grover, good lad, Anthony, good luck with the decision. It's a combat sport and they're working through it as we as we speak. Happy to hear from you. One double three eight two, Hello Tony. How are you basketball?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, at the moment, I've thought you under seventeens girls big grade and the parents are fine, I mean. But one of the things that I found really interesting, and this is one thing that parents need to understand, and I talked to myself about this as well, is there a lot of a lot of us parents think that our kid is much better than they actually are. Right, bro, how do you tell a parent the reason why your kid is on the sideline because it probably should take up chess, do you know what I mean? You can't be doing that. But this is where the this is where the frustration is with parents, a lot of parents, especially in my in my sport. Ye, it's like wise on a bench is because yeah, not good enough. Yeah, because they paid the fees the same fees, especially for domestic they want to get equal amounts. And there's a lot of things, yeah, fires and all that.
Speaker 2: It's a hard one, isn't it, Tony. I know I worked with Ron Alexander for many years at sport and wreck and Ron, despite being a big, tough old ruckman, he was very strong and all kids you get equal game time and rotated through positions because that's why. That leads to enjoyment and it leads to them wanting to stay in the sport for longer. But I suppose you want to try and win too, don't you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in domestically, domestically, I personally believe it needs to be equal amounts. When you get to the higher levels, then it's on merit, on on your ability. But in domestically everybody should be having equal.
Speaker 2: Amounts, all right, mate, Yeah, thanks Tony. Good to hear from it. In the running for a Caller of the Day today coming up after ten o'clock today, Parking, we've moved Parky's time. Dave Parkinson will join us after ten o'clock today. The veteran copper True Detective is the name of the segment. Did you know I didn't know this? Did you know? There was an assassination plot against Simon Crean. And Simon Crean was the opposition leader, leader of the Labor Party, and this was in Lake Grace and Parky was there. Parky again put his life on the line, this time for Simon Crean. And he's got so many stories as any Parky. But you'll join us out of ten o'clock today. An assassination plot against Simon Crean, the Labor leader back in the day. Stay listening. It is five and a half minutes to ten. I just had a notification from one of our listeners that the Association of Mining and Exploration Companies, the CEO, Warren Pierce, head of National Policy, Neil van Drunen, met with Murray Watt last week. That's good to know. Thank you for that, correspondent. So, Warren Warren Pierce and Neil van Drunen from the Association of Mining Exploration Companies met with Murray Watt last week. Thanks for your corresponds today, Steve from Dart says Simon. I've umpired for nearly forty years and the cult of these days with parents has improved significantly. It is only isolated incidence like this that bring it to attention the fact that it's only point one percent of idiots that spoil it for the ninety nine point nine percent of people who do behave Steve from Darts, Thanks Steve, Thanks for your thoughts, Mate, appreciate you calling back. And we just heard back from the Chamber of Commerce and Industry the CCI. They've confirmed they met with Murray Wat too, So AMEC and CCI did meet with Murray what last week? So thanks for your thoughts. Is the sideline of behavior of parents and junior sports still an issue? The yes is are fifteen The NOS ate some nice correspondents coming in on this as well, and sent me a nice message about women's footy and I'm just trying to find it. Basically, Ann said the behavior is here, he is found it. Definitely no problems with the girls AFL games. I attend, wonderful sportsmanship from all sides, Thank you and appreciate that and a lot of correspondence coming in. It's Onny from valdivis No, there is no issue. I coach under seventeen girls basketball team. If there's any inappropriate behavior by a parent, myself and or team manager pulls them aside and have a chap. Normally everyone behaves themselves, So maybe this is an extreme act. This bloke will have his day in court. So Whitford's Junior Football Club Soccer Club and Mindari playing up in Mindari on Sunday and the bloke is taken upon himself allegedly to wrap his hands around eleven year old player's neck. From Mindari Soccer has reacted pretty quickly on this one. Both the clubs have locill have his day in court on June sixth. Thanks for listening him. Dave Parkinson with True Detective after ten o'clock. How good.
Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Running a poll today. Do in your opinion yes or no? What are you seeing a junior sport? Is parent behavior on the song of line is still an issue and the yes is just marginally habit at this stage. I'll bring you that tally as the As the show winds on, Jane has a positive shout out to Western Power staff. Thank you, Jane. You worked over twelve hours from seven thirty last night till seven thirty this morning working on a power line near Mawson Park, Hillary's two hundred and eighty homes without power overnight. World on Western Power says Jane, and Aileen says regarding the Barot Peninsula, the degradation monitoring study seemed to be in their relatively early stages, and it seems impossible that, based on current information, of a decision that makes everyone happy, none of us know the correct answer, so it seems likely the decision will reflect the greatest good for the greatest number. Thank you, Aileen, you are you remain the voice of reason, Sideline behavior of parents and junior sports to an issue that yeses are seventeen and the nose are nine. Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Detectives with Dave Parkinson.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of our favorite and very popular segments on Perth Today is True Detective and Dave Parkinson joins us. Now former everything in the w a police service. God they Parky Simon, good, Thank you for people who haven't heard the segment we covered the biggest story in the world, which was the suicide Sect, the Japanese suicide Sect operating in regional w A. We covered that. We've covered all sorts of TIBs, go lightly, the Confederate Action Party in Geraldton, and sometimes Parky, after I talk to you, I get a call from police media.
Speaker 11: Really yeah, really really good, good better otherwise.
Speaker 2: Which means it's good that they're listening. But sometimes we get we get very close to sensitive topics. I guess is my is my point. I had no idea about this one, mate. This is the you found yourself in the mid In a over a four year period, the farmers of Wa were very, very very unhappy. They were called the Rural Action Movement nineteen ninety to nineteen ninety four. What were they unhappy about?
Speaker 11: Party here, Simon, and basically back in that time, the banks were being what banks normally are, and I'm too much of a gentleman to suggest what they are and how they operate, and the rural industry across Western Australia, particularly in the wheat belt regions that we're going through tremendous hardship. The law abiding citizens there, the wheat prices were down, the fertilizer costs were exorbitant. Rail infrastructure was pretty average, but the costs were there, and then the lack of government support regarding costs was pretty horrendous and at that time, and a number of the big banks were fore closing on farm farming mortgages and and really said it's like the old John Wayne Westerns where the baddies come in and take over a farm and by the next one and whatever. And it had an incredible impact right across regional Western Australia. Particularly something that is still happening today sadly is the suicide right you know, of farmers their families and then obviously later on it's well documented, well documented with with youth suicide. So it was a really really hard time and.
Speaker 2: So sorry to go to your unit got involved. There were death threats to politicians and people were actually targeting physically targeting the bank buildings.
Speaker 11: Well they we're right through. It would be very interesting again, we're there hijacking you show. You know, some of the people in Rualdubra are probably listening and they can they would definitely remember this awful period of time. One of the main tactics was super gluin the bank locks, you know, and then other other damage that you know, perhaps shouldn't go into now that you've reminded me of sensitivity.
Speaker 2: But I just keep doing it your way, made by way.
Speaker 11: I mean, I've got they've got my number, and they got my number, and they know the muroral officers in Carlisle Heights that can come in anytime. But it was, it really was a tragic time. And I don't want to make light of it because I mean, I've jumped forward a bit since this, Uh, these events that happened. You know, we've got the r U Okay, we've got the blue trees and I've just come back from mind him up and they're everywhere down there would suggest there's still a problem. So what happens. We had a very volatile time, and particularly the threats of politicians that came under our Bailey Wick and anyhow, one particular incident that really worried us was part of the Malawa to Jornton railway. The line was blown up. Obviously, the decent farming people who've got so many friends out there, they wouldn't contemplate that. But there were some radical people on the outside, trying to ingratiate themselves in for their own own means. And we've already discussed Tims go lightly and others in the rural and the competat party. So it was a very very very tense time for everyone, and it was a sad time because a lot of people did take their lives and they just felt they had nowhere to go.
Speaker 2: I can't remember that story, bag, Yeah they did.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they'd be part of between Muliva and Jeralton, there was about four lengths of role got blown up and obviously no one's taken responsibility for that. Obviously, as I said, a lot of my friends out in the country wouldn't even contemplate that. They, you know, the decent, law abiding people. Then having said that, yeah.
Speaker 2: The next chapter in all this, you have done dignitary protection at different times your unit. I'm talking to Dave partners and folks. If you don't recognize the voice. So Simon Crane is coming to Late Grace.
Speaker 11: Yes, and what happened. We got a very very credible threat that his life was at risk. Now I cannot remember why. I don't think his portfolio if I remember correctly, and perhaps Sean could google it or whatever. I thought. He was Industrial Relations minister at the time. It could be wrong, but anyhow, he was coming to Late Grace and through obviously place and others in the community, concerned citizens. They said he better not turn up because we've got a we have a couple of people here who are going to take his life. It was as simple as that, which was very radical in those days. So anyhow, so what happened. I was given the task of going and seeing Simon Crean, which I did when he loved in Perth, and I said, look, it's probably not a good idea to go down there, and basically he said, well, no, I'm going. So I got a seat on the government plane and away we went. And what I was very concerned about is that this threat, you know, having come from a farming background myself and stations and whatever. You know, those guys down there don't have little twenty twos of air rifles, you know for a vermin control. They have very high powered firearms. And I was very concerned because those who know, like Grace, the airport has it's near strips surrounded by saltbush and lake. And yeah, so when we were in the air I sort of breeched everyone and tried to convince him it's probably not a good idea, and it's really that I get concerned to that degree, but I had visions of someone trying to take us out as we've come in to land, which was a huge concern. And then obviously the venue that we went to, which is the Late Gray Sports Ground, was just all open, and I think all I had was the two local coppers there to give me a bit of a hand, and it was just a matter of doing what we do best, talking, engaging and sort of keeping the minister fairly fairly close, and thankfully it went without a hitch.
Speaker 2: So it's my understanding that you got him off the plane and you actually put yourself between him and potentially where a shooter could be.
Speaker 11: Yes, yeah, that was that was my role. I mean, I always hated the nickname bullet catcher, but myself and my crew in the dignity protection area, that's basically what we were. Things weren't really bad. I mean, I'm trying not to make light of it. It was a lot, you know, we were very capable, very capable people that you know, we weren't just full of catchers. We could take out a threat as well. But it was it's very concerning. It was a lot of open ground and and and the anger the it was, it was quite palatable, that palpable, the anger there amongst the farmers, and and I think Cream and our in our team sort of got the message that that, you know, something needs to be done. Anyhow, it was it was, it was a income threat. And anyhow we got back to Perth and actually we got on when we were on the plane and we got about one hundred ks or so, we all sort of started breathing again. And and that part went without hitch. But the pearl and the tails of the story well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot of the stories to involve your mate, the late John Watson and like Gray. So you're back there and you reckon, you might have bumped into the guy who was the original threat, did you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we did well, John John On myself and my daughter Stacey Weist did a lot of fundraisers down there. You know, we played music and whatever and entertained and and we did that over and over a number of years, and we've become very very close friends with the number of the local community. Then it was terrific Tom And after about three years one of one of who now has a very very good made of mind from there. They tapped me on the shoulder and he said, you know that issue a couple of years back with the Simon Crown. I said yeah, he said, the bloke that the key player, he's here and I said, are is there going to be an issue? Said no, Park, He's sort of there. It was a bad time, he said. We all sat down with him and while the visit was on and convinced him that it was silly and sort of helped him out the best way we could.
Speaker 2: So they actually knew that and they took him, took him the way that's right.
Speaker 11: They restrained him. Yeah, they had him in a out of town which was which was I'll forever be grateful for because forget me, forget Simon Crane. It's just something that the State of Western Australia did not want and does not want. There are other ways, even when you are at your lovest ebb, there are still ways to sort things out. And this guy actually was a decent bloke and I've had a couple of bees with him over the years and things like that, and what concerns me forget let's forget the violence and whatever. But in my view, policing now is becoming more and more different because we're getting issues now with the live sheep export. People are taking umorage about the firearms and taking We have a significant drought where you have the impact of the floods over in New South Wales will be impacting on cattle prices here farmers on the very very fine line. And this is where polacing in regions and that the coppers in the bush are part of the community. It's where they need to keep their ears to the ground and get out there. And we show with the footy clubs, the hockey clubs, the cwas and whatever. And that's a part of policing that we did very apparently in those days and needs to be done now. I get to know your community here.
Speaker 2: Here, we'll come back to parking just a moment. David bullardcatcher Parkinson's with today amazing story, Parky, I had no idea. I must have missed all of that. I'm not sure what I was doing, but that's that's incredible. That blowing up railway lines and super gloden banks and threatening federal politicians is incredible. We'll come back more Parky after these day. Parky Parkins is with us today, former super former, dignitary protection, former everything. This is a This is True Detective Our segment which is very popular. Parky Frosty has semesters. He says during those days that Parky is talking about protest group at the street March held up a banner which read which bank stylemo farm the bank suit for defamation and one damages there though they were the bad boys between ninety nineteen ninety four, David wanted to touch on this as well. Nineteen seventy six nineteen seventy seven you had a bit to do with women in policing and you might have met your love your life during this time as well.
Speaker 11: Yes, Simon, basically around about seventy ninety seventy five seventy six that we had a women Police office and absolute true legends of West Australian placing were there. You know, some of the most magnificent ladies you did forget. But what happened is I think it was around about seventy six the government and the WO Police Department decided to bring women into policing as general duties police officers, detective specialists and whatever on equal pay, which was huge. And I was in Calgary at the time, a young copper up there, and sadly we had a lot of the old sergeants, the old misogynists in those days, who were pretty said in their ways, and there was all sorts of issues. You know, you know, I can't send the bike and a woman out on patrol because if there's a fight, the blake's going to look after the woman. How you're going to get a hiding? And it was just a really really hard time for the female police officers. My wife Gil she was the first, I think, to come to Kogul under that umbrella. There were women police officers there before, but they were basically in a woman police section, and they did jobs with the checkers and police, particularly with sexual assault victims, particularly with any offenses or whatever. And I'm not degrading those ladies because they were pioneers and they worked in a very misogynistic environment. And it took her quite a while, for probably four or five years, maybe a little bit longer, for the women police officers to be accepted, not by the general duties troops. Obviously you got a young twenty three twenty four year old break. I thought it was a.
Speaker 22: Great idea, and across the regions and obviously it was the same, but there was this issue, and then of course horror, horror, but a Garland I met GALEI came to Caldully as a young woman police officer and we ended up going out to and we got married in nineteen seventy eight. Well, when it was announced that we were engaged, I got what we called a red devil in the male.
Speaker 11: That was a transfer notice to go yeah, yeah, really, so and so and her and I were the first one or two to actually get married at that time. And then of course, horror of all horror, Simon maternity, Dave maternity. So they come and they get pregnant, and now I'm one short on my shift. These are the these are the issues that the pioneers, and I call them pioneers of those days. And then horror, an absolute horror story. He assignment for your listeners out there, and you know, the tongues firmly planted in there in my cheek. One of my one of my very special women police officers, a lady by the name of Kathy Bullham, she become an officer in charge of a polaystation in the Wheat Belt. Now, she was the first horror horror and that was that was Darren And then they gave her Caliberan because she did such a good job amongst all the fighting and the feuds in Caliberan at the time. And Katy went on to become a very very professional police superintendent and I think her last posting was the District Superintendent of the Albany Region. So they'd come a long, long long way from from back in those days to now.
Speaker 2: And look, we have no names here, but at the current police commander was the first female bomb technician in Australia. You had a bit to do with that. And you know she was also involved in the bombing of Don Hancock and lou Lewis in the driveway and laugh Lane. So she's exceptional too.
Speaker 11: She's a tremendous lady. And I will to name her, but she's a tremendous lady. When my inspector from the Tactical Response Group, who the bomb squad was under the end there, came and saw me, so I liked to I like to put X up for a bomb training course, I said, I don't have an issue with that. Well, by Jesus signon, I got flogged. The head of the bomb training under the National County Terrorist Plan was in New South Wales. He rang me and the expletives that came down the line was quite horrendous. You know, what the hell do you think you're doing? So that made me even more determined. And I saw the Deputy Commissioner of Bruce Brennan, who in my view was tremendous fellow. He said, Parky, you're in charge if you think this lady's good enough. Yes, And so she fought Tooth and Narl and probably worked twice as hard than any other technician in Australia and overseas. And then she became an outstanding, outstanding bomb technician and she virtually, as Mel Brown would say, shoved it up them. And then now she's a high ranking female police officer who I have the utmost respect for. And every police officer from the day or from seventy six onwards, just absolutely incredible what they've been through, if breaks beyond sick leap, now, if they put up with what the women police officers did.
Speaker 2: Mi've got a nineteen year old and she her mate from school is just isna is up at Dune up training at the moment, Parky. And it's very normal for you know, girls of their age to see it as a career, as a profession, as an option. It's just normal.
Speaker 11: Now, well, it's incredible. And I've mentioned to you and your listeners that in twenty twenty one I worked back in with now Governor Chris Dawson in the COVID Command Center and we were based in the Offisheries Building office of the Highight there and it was a fifty to fifty split, fifty percent females fifty percent blokes. A lot of the females. There were managers, sergeants and senior sergeants, everything like that, and Simon, you wouldn't You could not tell the difference between the work ethic the respect of all those officers. They're just part of the game now, mate, A lot different to what happened. When I can remember the look on Gard's face when she first come to Calgury. There was a fellow playing up in the PlayStation. He was about six foot twelve tour and he was throwing us around like bloody nine pins, and she'd walk through the door and there. We were thrown up into the fans and through windows and she turned round started and that was that was just a normal that was just a normal days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, park you could talk to you all day on this stuff. Thank you very much for being our true detective again today. And I should have mentioned this, but Simon Crean died a couple of years ago, Parky premature in Germany, didn't he So.
Speaker 11: He did and his brother was lost in the snowfield was a few years before that. I don't know what they have a family but not Yeah, yeah, tragic family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good to talk to you, mate, Thank you very much for next fortnite. Thank you mate, Dave Parkinson, our true detective on the show. Got a million stories. And yeah to the to the recruits, upper journal, up the female recruits, good luck to here. I think over the years we've talked to some of the high sort of highly prized recruits that a lot of the female officers come through the system, come through the training system and marked very very highly in the all the testing, the firearms testing. In some cases not as big and as physically strong as some of the boys. But they make for fine fine coppers, don't they That has been true detective. When we come we'll take a little break when we come back. Going to speak to Karen Chapel, she's the president of WALGA. It was about a year ago. I went to a press conference with Karen and Reese Whitby was there. He was the Environment Minister. Jackie Jarvis was theirs, the agricultural Minister, and they said we're gonna get We're going to give the community groups, local government schools seven million dollars to plant trees that have been taken out by the boor by the polyfagers, shothold borer. No trees. None of the money's been spent, is no trees. Stay listening. Steve says, you should have party on twice a week. Thanks you boy, it's only a four hour show. That's a problem, Steve. You can talk and talk and talk. Love talking to our true detective Dave Parkinson. He's a ripper, isn't he. I'm glad you like Oh, thank you. I remember going to in my former job. I went to a press conference with Karen Chappel, the president of WELGA, and the mayor of the town of vincent In allison' zamon and a few other people. Jackie Jarvis was there, the Agriculture Minister. Reese Whitby was the Environment minister, and at the time it was a plan to put out seven million bucks worth of money to replant trees had been knocked over, that were replacing trees knocked over because of the poly faker shothold borer. I don't know that any trees have been planted whatsoever. Karen Chapel is the WELGA president, joins me. Now, hey, Karen, I remember that day to you.
Speaker 16: Good morning, Simon, Yes, clearly I do, yes, Hyge Park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So nothing's happened, Karen. What's your understanding why as to why nothing's happened.
Speaker 16: I have no understanding as to why nothing has happened. But I am I am pleased today that we've got the opportunity now to apply to some grants. But it doesn't stop us, from a welders perspective, to continue to ask the government to strengthen its research capacity. You know, we need to put further funding into research and how we're going to manage this pest going forward. I mean, this announcement is to replace the trees that have been lost, and that's not going to be done overnight by any stretching imagination, even though the applications are open for six weeks and local governments will apply for it, no doubt and take their time to replace the trees as they see appropriate. But a grave concern to us is that this borer is a critical It's critical that we manage it and we need to have a plan around that.
Speaker 2: Simon, Yeah, sure, so you know this, and I know this. So Clermont's lost trees, Allison's lost trees in Vincent, I think Canning's lost trees Bayswater. Do you get a sense that the current regime the containment zones are working, Karen, But they're.
Speaker 16: Focusing very strongly on the zone Zone A and making sure it's contained of the Zone B, which is the buffer zone. And I do believe that everybody's working really hard to contain it. But however, and the approach seems to be not they're not just sort of cutting the trees down like they were initially. They're trying everything they can to save trees.
Speaker 11: But you would have.
Speaker 16: Heard where Mayor Zamon announced or said the other day that the Hyde Parks lost the fight with on a couple of the islands. So it's containment is the ultimate goal, and it absolutely is the ultimate goal. We don't want it to spread at all. However, there's many different prongs to this. Recovery is one responses another and looking to the future and looking for management is also one of the elements that we have to we have to consider.
Speaker 2: Daren, Am I hearing you right that the grants for this dough and it was seven point two mill possibly up to sixteen thousand trees. I think for every tree that we lose to the borer, you could plant three, I think I remember requitly saying that. Am I hearing that the actual ground round has only just opened? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 16: It's open, Yeah, it's only just open, and it's open for six weeks only. It closes on Monday to seventh July, and local governments can apply for I think it's eleven hundred and forty dollars per tree they've lost, and an exception exceptional circumstances they can apply for a larger amount of I guess something like I'm money guessing something like Hide Park. But it's yeah, there's been over four thousand trees, four fifty five hundred and fifteen was the last count that we're aware of across the metropolitan area, is right, how even not all of that is of course local government something something that's private land and today government.
Speaker 2: Four thousand and five that I haven't heard that figure for. And that's not just the Morton Bay figs. That's playing trees and other species too, Karen, that's all.
Speaker 16: That's all trees. That that's the data that the most recent data that we've actually had access to helps us that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, And to go back to where we started. Do we know why the grants around us has been so delayed?
Speaker 16: Absolutely? I have no idea what we've been We have been advocating strongly for this to open so that local governments can get on and order their trees and get you know, and consider planting them. Now they will be able to order them this year and they have three years in which to plant those trees. You know, I guess, choose the appropriate tree, make the right grounds prepared, and then get grant trees back into the ground.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing where if it is a Morton Bay fig, they've got a huge root structure and their big trees, and you can't necessarily put the tree back in a new tree back in the same spot.
Speaker 16: Hey, well, I'm not a an't it? But I'm assuming not No.
Speaker 2: Not a I'm not a I've got a cult from you, learned something new every day. You can be a farmer, but not a gardener. Karen, that tried.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 16: We can't be perfected everything.
Speaker 2: I'll be good at everything. Hey, Karen, just while I have you and I don't know if you've heard or if you've chatted to to your gang in it Welga. Are Yogu going to get some money out of defense? Have have you heard anything on the d RF A funny No.
Speaker 16: No, I haven't heard. I've heard the concerns and I'm very much aware of the Yelgu, the shop of Ylgu's the position there in and that it is a matter that DRF Defense are considering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, nice to chat you today, Karen.
Speaker 16: Thank you, Okay, thanks not to see you too, Simon.
Speaker 2: Karen Chappel Welga presidents. So four thy, five hundred and fifteen trees in the metro area have been lost to the boro. I haven't heard that before, and that's the latest figure. That's just I think that's local government tree, so there could be more. So have you have you had a tree knocked over, shredded, mulched, chipped because of the boar in your street, in your neighborhood, or on your property. Let me know, one double three eighty two. That's that's been a long time coming, that money. And as I say, I went to the press conference that day with a heap of people from the West and all the TV stations were there. Caitlin Rentle was there from the West. Everyone was there and the money was announced, you know, and Rees Whitby. It does have that reputation. Here we go, here's the money, let's talk about this, let's meet, let's chat this through. But the Department's taken a long time to put the money out. And I can't remember whether Reese was the water Minister or the environment minister at the time, or perhaps potentially both, but Jackie Jarvis was the Minister of every agriculture. Have you had a tree knocked down in your neighborhood, either on local government land, on your property, on your verge, on the meeting strip, down the local park. Let me know one double three eight eighty two four five hundred and fifteen trees lost to the borer since since it turned up in twenty December twenty twenty one, and this and this announcement, the seven point two million dollar announcement was made just trying to get a date on this on the twenty fourth or the eighth last year. So the twenty fourth of August last year taking a while, hasn't it for the money to become available? It is eight eight minutes to eleven geda justin mad here gone good, thank you.
Speaker 17: Look I'm just ringing up. I'm now about to have a third tree cut down from this bug. I'm up in les Murdy And what I've been told is there's no compensation. Like I'm about to lose amulberry tree that's about fifty sixty years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I didn't know. I didn't know. I didn't know Mylberys could cop the boar. Is that that's that's an in proper.
Speaker 17: Yep, very susceptible pretty much anything that's not native.
Speaker 3: But how's this.
Speaker 17: I've got a native maluca a t tree that's also been affected by it. It's got him where I've pruned it.
Speaker 2: Yeah really okay, hey, justin So no compensation.
Speaker 23: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it worth talking to? So what shire is Lesbon? Does you say Les Mardy or come him under?
Speaker 17: Yeah, it's actually it's not the shy that does it. It's the government. So the Department of Primary Industries. They are the ones that come out, have a look and then organize if you want someone, yeah.
Speaker 8: Cut it down?
Speaker 2: Who pays for the who pays for it to be cut down? Justin?
Speaker 17: Well, I'd say the government, the Department. I've spoken to him, but they they're not that well funded when it comes.
Speaker 2: So do they take it? Do they take the chips away?
Speaker 18: Just?
Speaker 2: Do they dispose of the chips?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they have to.
Speaker 17: And then you go into a quarantine stage where anything over two and a half centimeters can't be removed from your property. So you've got to burn it and I'm lucky enough to do it up where I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, sure, all right mate? So what are you going? Maybe you can yeah, in the absence of knowing justin, maybe you could talk to the shy up there and see if they can help you out with some replants. Is it in your back garden? Is it or on your property somewhere?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 17: But the thing about it is the show used to provide fifteen plants a year, but now they've determined that it's more of a lottery. So I just source met mate, you know.
Speaker 2: All right, yeah, all right mate. Well maybe ring Darren scene or between six and eight on Saturday or Sunday he might be able to. He's got a big tree farm out in Burlong, mate, maybe he'll spot you up public new trees. Thanks justin interesting chat, Thank you mate. We have did ask to speak to the new Environment Minister Matthew Swinborne. He's in back to back meetings ahead of parliamentary sitting, but he hasn't been available. I tell you he has been available. Is a lot to this show, is Reta Safiotti. Karen says, surely the polyfaker shotthold borer problem needs to be eradicated before new trees are planted. Karen, there are species known that are not susceptible to the borer. There's allest of them. Maybe next time I speak to Darren and or Sue we can go through some of those. But there are there are trees that the borer can't attack, and it's sort of that research is reasonably comprehensive. I think one double three eighty two. Thanks for your thoughts justin Thanks Karen back in a sec A good song, isn't it? Just listening to the bloking les Murdy with the disease trees? Why does everyone want compensation these days? He's one. Nothing seems to get done and bureaucracy takes over with layers and layers of red tapes. Is Tom Tom, It's a pest that came through the Freemount of Port in twenty twenty one December. I reckon and four thousand and five hundred trees have disappeared that we know of. And I you know, if you had a tree on your property, a fifty year old mulbry tree, and some bug that wasn't contained manages to get hold of your mulbry tree, I think it would be you would be aggrieved, I think. And he's lost three trees, So I take your point about compensation, but I know that's what this I'm hoping that that's what this money, the seven point two million dollars will go towards maybe helping out some landowners as well as you know what happens on your media industrip and happens on your local park I spoke to Thanks Tom, thanks for your corrol mate. I spoke to Rita Safiotti earlier on today I wanted to. I asked her about the Beer knuckle Fighting Championship that's coming to Perth. Could it could be as soon as June? So Jamie Burnett from Weekends very cleverly spotted that the legislation had been changed and that the Beare Knuckle Fighting championsh Ship was now part of the Combat Sports included that the Combat Sports Commission oversee. So I asked Rita Safaiotti this morning, has she met with Anthony Grover Groves number fourteen for Frio rip a bloke, first Aboriginal fellow to play two hundred games for FREEO doctors. I know, something's very very proud of. But he's also the head of the Combat Sports Commission. And I asked Rita if she had met with the Commission and with Groves. Here's what she had to say.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I did. Actually, both him and Bob Katura came in to brief me about the sport and in particular what they've been doing in relation to the regulation of that sport. In relations to that sport, there were some regulatory changes that were made, so those regulations were changed, and now there's been an event that's come forward, so the Combat Sports Commission is going through that proposed event and in particular looking at what additional regulations could be put in place.
Speaker 2: When Minister Safiotti spoke about the ben Knuckled Fighting Championships last week, she said she could exercise a veto on whether the event came here or not, but she obviously taking advice from the Combat Sports Commission at this point. Brendan's phone in.
Speaker 14: Hi.
Speaker 2: Brennan, Hi Simon.
Speaker 21: Firstly, I don't think it's being luckle fighting as any form of sport at all. To me, it's a blood sport and I don't really see what regulations kind of stop it. I think reader needs to really have a look at it from a totally different perspective. We're trying to rid our society of all forms of violence and domestic violence. These one punch of tax at killing crippled people. I just don't see any place for it coming to Perth or anything like that. We've got police doing special training to handle domestic violent situations. That situation is pretty much out of hand. I just do not agree with it. Coming here at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, are you ok ufc.
Speaker 21: Uh well yes or no? But I wouldn't pay to go and watch two blokes or two ladies belt the hell out of his cellars.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right mate, not so yeah, thanks Brendan. All they're all good points, Brendan. It seems it seems pretty brutal, doesn't it.
Speaker 21: Well, it does, Simon, and you know we're trying to get rude violence out of our society. We never will, but I just can't say them what type of people would go and pay the watches?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 21: That does me, mate. I think really needs to have another look at it, I really do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Brendan, cheers mate, thanks for your thought. It's one double three A two is the phone number. So Brenda is not a fan of being knuckle boxing. Yeah, it's good work by JB spotting that one. If you're listening, Jamie, Harold of the Rocks, I think it's two rocks, isn't Harold? That's Harold of the Rocks. You European housebor or a small hive beetle, hendravirus, bat lissavirus, menangle virus, citrus canker, white ants, fire ants, cane toad, European rabbit, red imported fire ant, capra beetle, coronavirus, shothold borer. I reckon it's time that quarantine services and facilities were improved. You raise a very good point, Harold. Thank you mate, thanks for getting in touch with us today. Hayden says, with a lack of trees around Perth, I personally purchased seeds onlining like married chewett Jarramalley's carrying other in endangered shrubs and small trees. About twenty of these plants I've germinated. I planning these around very soon, Thank you, Hayden. I guess the thing with planning natives, big natives like that gum trees and eucalypse from seedlings will be quite some time before they're you know, a meter tool or two meters tall or thirty meters sore won't, Hayden. But good on you. I do know from my time on the weekends with Dazzcine or and with Sue, that the Muchet Tree Farm says sell seedlings, Hayden. Of those species you're talking about, and they're about it, they're under two bucks and they're already out of the You know they're out of the ground. Mate, they're five centimeters toll, so they're a good economical way to plant a big gum tree. But excellent work by you. Are you a member or have you invested in retirees WA story Doing the rounds today, I'll let you know what the former CEO of retirees w A has told us this morning. We did try and get her on air. So they are the subjects of legal action. Have you had anything to do with retirees WA. There's some conflicting versions of events. Doing the rounds today. Are you a member of or have you invested in retirees WA? So they are not for profit nursing home, but they also offer up cheap funeral services. Stay listening, Thanks for listening in today. Any of your thoughts if if you have a tree that's been invested by the poly fake a shothold borer either on your property, on your medium strip down on the park, let me know four five and fifteen trees to date since December twenty twenty one, and the grant's money's only just becoming available. Eleven o'clock now.
Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Thanks listening in deja vu all over again. Remember listening to this station. I think I was working at the station at the time as well. Remember Martin Whitey twenty ten West Australia MP. He had a book out and he used to took way back there in twenty ten, thank you Sean. He had a book out called Speed Up and Sit Still, The Controversies of ADHD Diagnosis and Treatment, and it was published in twenty ten, so fifteen years ago, and he was saying back then it was being overdiagnosed, over prescribed at the time, So back in twenty ten, and Martin's campaigned long and hard, even post post MP life, if that makes sense. So ADHD one of the most commonly diagnosed childhood psychiatric disorders in the Western world, and there's a report out today that it's still being overdiagnosed, oversubscribed in both children and in adults. So what's been your experience in all of this in your world, in amongst your friends, your family, your kids. I have had some experience with it one of my kids. And it's an industry, It's an absolute industry. The number of psychs who work in at the expense, the expense of the medication. And this is still a condition that I don't know is completely understood. It's not a blood test. It's not like, well, you have a blood it's not like you don't. It's not like a COVID test you've definitely got ADHD or you have some measure of anxiety or whatever it is. It's an absolute industry, and when one of your kids is involved, you don't get a lot of access to information because it's private and it's the right of your kids, especially if they're over sixteen or fifteen, to they don't have to tell you, and the doctor doesn't have the GP doesn't have to tell you as to what's going on, and the diagnosis is incredibly frustrating. We're going to talk about that in just a moment. We have a report today that still says it's being overdiagnosed and oversubscribed and people have been prescribed medications left, right and center. So Martin Whiteley back in twenty ten bought the book out, brought the book out, and we're still talking about it as being over diagnosed. One double three eighty two coming up on the PROGRAMM in just a moment as well. Tim Ridan's in from the housing industry of Australia will have a look at the housing market in WA. Cam Laid's coming in as well from summ At Homes. We're looking into the housing industry and market around w A. Is it easy? Do we have more supply of product? Do we have more supply of labor? We've got enough roof carpenter's and roof plumbers and Bricky's chippies. Do we have enough of all that? How we going in w A at the moment. We'll talk about that in just a second. A bit of correspondence coming in on beer knuckle fighting after Brandon's call get rid of beer knuckle Fighting and retas is one of our listeners Shane says, which I don't subscribe to. Shanes says, is safjoty trying to encourage violence or curbits. There's a lot of contradiction in her points of view. John's SEMs is provocative and thought provoking. UFC is not violence. When it's done in the ring, it's sport. If it's done on the street, it's violence. We don't ban AFL if I jump up on someone's back and need him in the back of the head on the street there's violence, it's sport on the footy field. Thanks John, good perspective. Cheers mate, cad a Bruce.
Speaker 3: Mate.
Speaker 12: John made a damn good point there. Same thing with rugby spear tackle someone on a rugby field of sports spear tackle on the street and it's violence. Yeah, it's it's BKFSA at the moment before it was UFC. It doesn't matter what the what the sport is or the combat sport is. People complain. Now sports have rules and points scoring system, which is combat sports.
Speaker 24: Do that?
Speaker 12: Then people go and say it's a blood sport. Well, blood sport or not. Still got the words sport in it, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: Now a lot of the people going.
Speaker 12: On about readers trying to encourage violence, and you know, we've got a problem with violence in our society and everything, and I can see what they're saying. However, the average combat sports or blood sport enthusiast or watcher or supporter isn't someone who's actually actively participating in martial arts and training themselves. Majority of them just don't. They just enjoy it. But you'd find that people who actually do enjoy the sport and watching it and engage in martial arts and even fighters themselves. They are not the people going out fights. They are not the people going out doing coward punches. They are not the people being violent in the streets. They are the ones controlling themselves, are the ones who are diffusing situations unless they actually have something happened to them in the first place.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, all right mate, Hey yeah, good. Thanks your thoughts, Bruce. I'll percolate on those. I'll have a little think about that. Cheers, mate, Thank you for your thoughts. I think I think did I read something in the in one of the papers that I read this morning. There's some new research to say that people who do coward punch can hit people men in their twenties, and they're out at night, So the assaults are happening at nighttime, mostly enacted by men in their twenties. I think I read that somewhere today, which sounds about right, doesn't it. What do you reckon listeners? The bare knuckle Fighting Championships will be you know, will be held under certain conditions. There'll be a doctor at ringside, there'll be some rules around that, there'll be it looks like the Combat Sports Commissioner pushing for the fighters to be of a certain experience. We had heard from one of our listeners that the BKFC organizers were shopping around town to try and find some fighters for the undercart. That's what we've heard. It's thirteen minutes past eleven, geda Louise Luisa there, can you hear me?
Speaker 25: Yes?
Speaker 10: Yes, I am yeah?
Speaker 15: Hi?
Speaker 14: How you go good?
Speaker 24: How are you good?
Speaker 3: Thing?
Speaker 2: Adhd Yes?
Speaker 24: Yeah, I was calling about the fact that you said that it's being over diagnosed. I'm Fortgaton was diagnosed last year, and it's being talked about a lot these days because so many women of my age who are finally being diagnosed with it instead of being misdiagnosed for years with things like anxiety or just all other thought depression and all those sorts of conditions.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 24: So it's just really frustrating because, yeah, you hear this sort of stuff all the time. It's been over diagnosed and all that sort of thing, but it's not it's just that for years women missed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, women, this is this report is coming out. You know, I can only express my frustration having a kid and I just you know, just and kids in particular do talk amongst themselves, Louise, you know that the peer pressure and there's a bit of a badge that goes with at least I now know what what I've gotten. Now we can address it. But there is a report, there is a report out today and it comes from psychiatrists that it's been diagnosed, and I appreciate it. So it's made a.
Speaker 10: Difference to you, right, because obviously women, girls prevent.
Speaker 24: Differently to boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, Louise, I'm not I'm not cutting you off. Just try and move. I can't hear because your phone is a glitchy. Just move a bit if you will.
Speaker 25: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're gone.
Speaker 24: Is that better?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 24: Yeah. So it's just it's it explains my whole sort of childhood. And then he has also explained a lot of issues that I've had, you know, even when you're like becoming a mother and all of that sort of thing. And also also a lot of women at my age are in ferry menopause and that's when the symptoms are actually exacerbated, and that's why so many of us are actually getting diagnosed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, good luck, Louis. He thinks it's calling us today.
Speaker 24: Thank you.
Speaker 2: How it goes well, gid I, Frank.
Speaker 20: Yes, good morning woman. Bare knuckle fighting was banned over one hundred years ago. It's violent and brutal and dismiss Pepper Rottio thinks that this is a good example there our young people, the violence in the city of a Friday and Saturday night. I don't go into your own Northbridge anymore. This is a really bad example. And cage fighting, so I've even gone even more so he's gone from cage fighting to bare knuckle fighting. What you're going to pull in the next ball fighting? I mean it's absolutely outrageous. And being a woman, I thought you'd have more sense, but unfortunately she hasn't. So she's just vi she's following orders from her boss or not. But the Labor Party ought to be ashamed of themselves bringing all these violent sports into Western Australia.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks, thanks Frank. I don't know what her being a woman has to do with it in my view, but appreciate your thoughts.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: It was it was banned, wasn't it. So UFC was banned in this state under Columbardeed and tuck Waldron Sports Minister kayetuck If you're listening. Labor brought it back in. We've had UFC fights here in Perth. You know that the main game, the promotional arm of MMA has been here in Perth. But now this is a this is a next step. This is a progression or a bracket creep of what we're tolerating as sport. There's no question about that. Six sixteen minutes past eleven o'clock is the sideline and this is this related I do today? Is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? The yes are twenty two and the nose are eleven. I'll come back to you. I'm going to speak to Pat McGrory and just the mame Professor Pat McGrory. Sir Patrick was the Australian of the Year a while back and he's a strong advocate on mental health issues. Stay listening, Yeah, thanks for listening in It is nineteen minutes or twenty minutes past eleven. Thanks for your thoughts. We are running a poll today, do you yes?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Poll? Is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue here in Perth in Western Australia. The yes are twenty two and the nose eleven. Thanks for your thoughts and all of that. Will keep a tally right through until the end of the day. Still to come on the program, We've got the guys from the Housing Industry Association of Australia will be in. We're going to talk about the housing market after eleven thirty. After twelve o'clock today, it's the final episode of the final season of Handmaid's Tale is on pretty much as we speak. I think I think it's been broadcast as we speak. We're going to talk about TV series that you're bailed out of. TV series that you're bailed out of at some point, is rather than talk about series that you've seen all the way through l like six seasons of Handmaid's Tale. Are you did you barl out of something? We'll talk about that after mid day today and Craig Bloxham will join us in about an hour's time. Craig is the lead singer and guitarist from The Spies from Spy Versus Spy heading back to Perth, got some new material. What a band they were? Hey, they're always second or third on the support bill, weren't they. Spies saw them heaps of times in pubs and a big big concerts, Spy versus Spies. Craig Bloxham, leads singer, sing a songwriter, guitarist, will join us in about an hour's time to reflect on the like and time of the Spies. Professor Patrick McGrory AO is a psychiatrist Professor of Youth Mental Health at the University of Melbourne. Former Australian of the Year. Though I speak as you've been Australia of the Year or as in Astrainia of the Year. HALLI Patrick, good.
Speaker 18: To told you, thank you, good afternoon, good morning.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, yeah, nice to have you on the show today. So there is a warning out today and this has has been reported in the Herald Sun in Melbourne two prominent psychosis woman overdiagnosed and over medication of ADHD is an issue and we're seeing as profit driven diagnosis, soft the symptom criteria, inconsistent treatment standards across the living stresses, academic pressure and social media influence.
Speaker 18: What do you think, Well, it's a mixed picture. Actually there's an underdiagnosis as well. I spent the day yesterday in a headspace in New South Wales. I saw fifteen young people and more than half of them were referred for assessment or reassessment for ADHD as along with everything else. And these are people who can't afford the private clinic, so we're seeing them in a free service at Headspace, and nearly all of them had a genuine case of ADHD, and many of them are responding very well to treatment, So it's a real thing. It does respond to treatment, especially when it's more obvious and severe, and particularly when it clearly starts in childhood. But what we've seen in recent years is kind of a shift in the criteria, so we are able to include in the diagnose people down the much milder or shallower end of the pool because it is a spectrum and it's much less clear cut whether these people are going to benefit from diagnosis and treatment. They think they will because they're seeking the diagnosis. There's a huge consumer pressure to get the diagnosis amongst these people. But there is something wrong with them. They are they are feeling that life is not good for them. But whether it's ADHD or something else, and it's very easy to fit into the milder end of the spectrum because the symptoms involved stuff that all of us might have problems with them. Times a time, So it's a mixture of underdiagnosed and I think misdiagnosis as well.
Speaker 2: That's very interesting. So the data itself, Patrick comes out from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, and I saw that. Yeah, they're reflecting a ten percent increase on last year for under eighteen patients. What is that because we have we changed the criteria of diagnosis, the symptoms.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, it's easier to get the diagnosis now. But in younger people it's probably less likely to be misdiagnosed because it is a disorder, neurodevelopmental disorder. It's supposed to be at its peak in primary school really, and the old idea was that it got better as you got older and you more or has grew out of it in most cases, so people recovered from it. There was a recovery pathway from it. But you know, people have rethought that without a huge amount of evidence. Think and they're allowing people in adult lives to be diagnosed for the first time.
Speaker 20: Now.
Speaker 18: Some of those people will have been missed in childhood because it was underdiagnosed in the past. But there's another group who are struggling in various ways and they've lapped onto this very popular sort of label if you like, and putting a lot of pressure I think on prescribers. And of course some of the prescribers are exploiting that because it's in the private practice world, it's a market. So these are very large co claimers that some psychiatrists are charging are pretty worrying.
Speaker 2: Speaking to Patrick McGrory, listeners the professors with us today talking about this new data that seems to reflect Yeah, a perfect storm of a number of factors. Well, the optics, So Patrick, I've got a family member and some experience with headspace and were professional services as well that aren't not for profits. What about the optics? He does look like in industry, doesn't it.
Speaker 18: Yeah, Well, this is why the federal government's commitments in the election campaign, which we're actually matched by the coalition too, to be fair, of expanding the free mental health care for young people, you know, by boosting headspace capacity and also building a backup system, a more specialized expert mental health care sitting behind headspace for the more complex cases. So that means that the healthcare will be more equitable for young people, for children and young people, and it has been because we've had a two tiered system. You know, the public system has been very poorly funded in the past, and you've got this private system, which involves most of private psychiatry and corporates are actually getting to this ADHD sort of trend as well, So it was getting very inequitable. So if you had money, you could sort of almost purchase the diagnosis and the treatment, whereas if you're a normal person, even it's been out of reach. So I think in general getting access to mental health care for young people, only fifty percent of young people do get access in a timely way to quality mental health care, and the federal governs is boosting that, and there is a genuine rise in mental illness and young people. We've seen a fifty percent jump in all formats of mental illness across the last fifteen years. So I'm just a bit concerned that this kind of soft aspect of things might discredit and turn attention away from the real needs that people actually do have, and the people who desperately need help, including quite a proportion of the people with ADHD, they might miss out because of the behavior of the people down the marder end of the pool, and also people who haven't really properly diagnosed.
Speaker 6: Those people.
Speaker 2: Well, one of our listeners has phoning through to say that she's in her in her late forties and she's a postmenopausal and she said she's just been diagnosed and it's made a world of difference to her. She was probably misdiagnosed for years and years and years. So she was an example of what you're talking about. Professor. We appreciate your time talking to us here in Perth.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much, Thank you very much.
Speaker 18: No, I just come quickly on that one. That's an example of a genuine case that was missed. But I think we're seeing other people who present in the same way. They don't get the same benefit either as this lady actually has. So we've got to be a lot more sophisticated about how we go about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thanks you time, professor. Thank you, have a good afternoon. Professor Patrick mcgory ao former Astrayan of the Year, So he contests this information. Certainly. My experience is that it feels like it's an industry, and it feels like this doctor shopping and it feels like in the subject to a lot of interpretation. So the criteria change. The symptom criteria have changed. And as I say, it's you know you, if you buy in and you suspend your disbelief and believe that it is a condition and it's having an impact on your kid or your friends or your family, you're buying, you commit yourself to. It is still it's difficult to understand if you don't have mental health issues yourself. It's not easy and it has and it's changing all the time. I made the comment that Martin Whiteley was talking about over subscription and over diagnosis back in twenty ten. This reports out today and it's suggesting exactly what Martin Wichaeley was talking about in twenty ten, twenty nine past eleven. We will take a break. When we come back, we'll have the guy one of the We'll have Tim Redd and he's the chief economist from the Housing Industry Association of Australia and cam Laide who's with SUMM at Home. So join me in the studio. We're going to talk building here in WA.
Speaker 13: Good news and earlier crash in a Bentley Leech Highway westbound at the Manning Road intersection has been clear things moving safely there. Otherwise Mitchell Qwanana Graham Farmer and the tunnel all moving well, the major delays across the CBD.
Speaker 2: I'm Rob Beaver on Path Traffic Leader six PR. Yeah, thanks you company. Today we'll talk to Owe Clear in just a moment from Sere and Partners we get an update on the market. I just want to remind our listeners that six PR will be taking a continuous call tomorrow evening of the State of Origin Game one, the Queensland versus New South Wales game the Blues versus the Marons. We'll be taking that very exciting Perth Bears are coming to Western Australia as you know, but six PR will be right alongside them. But we are broadcasting game one of the State of Origin series and Game two will of course be in Perth out of the stadium, so we will keep you across that and let you know that it's on tomorrow night. The festivity start sort of around that five six o'clock marker Perth time, so I'll just make sure you listen to Skeed if he's on for a little while. But the first game of the State of Origin series will be with you tomorrow night. Let's do this on per six pr the stock market report. Owe Clear joins us from Shore and Partners. We have an update from Telster ohe good morning to you.
Speaker 10: Good morning to you, Simon.
Speaker 26: Telstra held their investor day this morning and they announced something called their Connected Future thirty strategy. The Telstra CEO, Vicky Brady explained that this five year plan means that Telstra will be looking at their business in three layers. Firstly, the customer layer, they want to consistently be among the top ten strongest brands in Australia. Then there's the network layer that's their mobile and fixed line network that they want to keep improving. And finally, their infrastructure layer. That's the digital infrastructure, things like data centers that are a huge grossed area at the moment and Telster looks who have completely missed out on that, which has allowed other companies to come in and dominate. Telster are hoping to increase their returns on invested capital up to ten percent. They are currently sitting at eight percent, and we know that last week announced that their prices are going up for their mobile and broadband customers, and tilts for shares today are ahead by three cents. They're now at four dollars seventy six. Also going up is the price of copper. That's because one of the biggest copper mines in the world, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, has temporary closed due to earthquake activity and it may go on for a few weeks. A company called Ivanhoe, who owned forty percent of the Kamua Cocla mine and who are listed in Canadas or their shares full by sixteen percent last night. But local copper companies are improving today's shares In Sanfire, I've seen their shares rally four and a half percent, up to eleven dollars fifty three. And Insurance Australia Group have said that they have so far received two thy five hundred insurance claims relating to the recent flooding in New South Wales, but that news hasn't hurt their share price, which is up by three cents at eight dollars sixty nine. And last night the US markets were closed for their Memorial Day holiday, but the European markets were still open were stronger after Donald Trump back down from a threat to impose a fifty percent tariff on goods from the EU starting on the first of June. They now have until the ninth of July to come to some sort of trade deal. And nowshare market today is stronger as well. Your Lord did the head by twenty six points. We're at eighty six hundred and fifteen summon.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Owe, have a good afternoon. We'll chat again tomorrow. Cheers Bowie, Thank you, Ow and Clear from Shaw and Partners. You're listening to Perth today, so I'm Obama. We're here until one o'clock after midday today. Those television series that you didn't see all the way through will have a chat about that. And Craig Bloxam, the lead singer and songwriter guitarists from Spy Versus Spy, will join me as well. Thank you for listening. Cam Lay joins me now. He's the general manager of the Summit Homes Group. Thanks for coming into the studio camp, Thanks for having me again. Sign it. Yeah, no worries. Tim Ridden should be with us in just a moment. From the Housing Industry Association of Australia. He's the chief economists. Wanted to talk about the housing market and the and how we're going in Perth and in and in Western Australia. It's one of those sectors industry sectors that does have a number of leavers that government can pull to try and get more new homes into into the market, but it's also down ultimately. So I suppose commercial groups like yours and you know all that goes with you, the building trades, the chippy's, the roof plumbers, all of that. It's a you do need a bit of government assistance on this, but at the same time you've got to go out and sell these joints and build these joints as well, don't you.
Speaker 27: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely so. I think you know, from from the industry perspective, you know clearly you know we've had a challenging few years and I think you know, the good thing that we see for the for the for this year and the next four months is an opportunity to to really focus on on delivering more housing and taking control I guess of some of the issues that we've had in the past, so such as supply chain, labor and so forth. So it's our responsibility as an industry to do that and we're all working hard to deliver.
Speaker 2: Tim ridden Jordan's in the studio now from the Housing Industry Association. They're the chief economists today. Tim, good morning, Thanks for having me. Yeah, no worries, so I'm glad you got God here. We're just talking about the leavers that federal government and state governments can pull when it comes to housing supply and housing stock.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 28: Look from a per perspective, as Cameron's saying that there is a huge constraint here, which is just that labor force constraint. It's very different WA as to what it is in the rest of the country and.
Speaker 2: Everywhere else.
Speaker 28: It is about governments removing themselves from the market. And here there are two types of problems. Problems time has solved and problems time will solve. And what we're going to see over the course of the next five years is, at no stage is WA going to deliver enough homes to meet demand in any year. So that housing shortage, that housing constraint, house price growth, that's going to continue, and the volume of homes we build each year will also continue. So we're building around about sixteen thousand detached homes and a couple of thousand apartments, and by twenty thirty will be up to about twenty one thousand detached homes and about five six thousand apartments per year, which is still not enough to meet the demand for that growing population, the growing economy.
Speaker 2: Well, if it's possible, Summer to side Cam and to utim, is it possible to describe in fifty words or less why WA building companies have been going under in such number.
Speaker 28: Look, I think the answer is twenty nineteen, right, that was where the damage was done. Things just got too too slow, too low down in the cycle in twenty nineteen. With hindsight support at that point in the market would have kept more builders and more tradees in Western Australia and seen less exit to the East Coast.
Speaker 2: And now we just can't bring them back quick enough.
Speaker 27: Cam your thoughts, Yeah, Look, it's not just localized to West Australia either, think you know nationally, The fact is the BURM post COVID with the home build a stimulus just put a lot of pressure on builders and naturally we we work in the in the system of fixed price contracts. So as Tim said, when when materials started to to increase so significantly, plus the labor constraints hess the building went went way up and it just put a lot of pressure on fixed price contracts. So look, it was something that's been very unfortunate and it's it's not great for the industry. There's some terrific builders that have been affected, and we're all through, but predominantly through the other side. I think probably what we what we're consciousself for people these days, is just to make sure that they you know, they choose that you choose a builder with that financial security. But as an industry we've got a bit of work to do to give that confidence back this year.
Speaker 2: And again this is an anecdote, and my listeners are pretty savvy on whenever we talk about this, and they there's a couple of things that they often pick up on. It's do we have enough tradees, building trades, people in men and women in Perth to improve the delivery of new housing stock? Do you physically have enough people? And they also ask ask about apprentices and do we have enough apprentices in the system? Can we well their anecdotal vibe an ancdotal vibe I get from our listeners, can you address those Look, the.
Speaker 27: Labor is the biggest issue, and there's a couple of things going on and look some of it obviously, trade rates are at a very healthy rate. So what that means is that some trades work at a certain pace and productivity level. So we're certainly dealing with that. Apprentices Yes, we need more apprentices look and there's no silver bullet to any of this, by the way, So you know, obviously we're a mining state, so we have labor sucked up there, but again that's quite specialized. Some of the infrastructures is starting to come, you know, to completion, so that that may free up some from labor for the res residential builders. But I think, you know, to to the point of what the state com is doing things that we've we've needed to look at, is is recruiting some over skilled overseas skilled workers, which we're quite involved with because you know, again it's not not replacing any job. This is incremental labor to make sure that we can deliver some of the some of the more important projects. So you know, looking after our workforce, looking after our existing subcontractor base is really really critical. Encouraging the apprenticeship side of things, and that's where government can obviously help out with those side of things. I think we've got to be really open to the fact that we've got to be a bit more diverse in terms of who we're attracting from that labor point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess the other other see that's the voice of cam Laid. You can hear listeners. He's the group, the general manager of some at Homes group and Tim Riddan's with us as well. And the next question in all of that, if people come in from into state and overseas, where where are they going to live? Well, they always ask.
Speaker 27: Me that that look that people figure things out simon. So there's look, there is enough. Yeah, vacancy rates are low, but what we're seeing is that people are actually coming up with their own solutions to to find to f a place to live in the meantime. I mean, you can look at it that it's a bit of a catch twenty two. But you know what we're seeing is it's not holding anything back at the moment. We're just we're just really focused on delivering as much as we can, I guess as an industry, and also trying to look at different different forms of dwellings. So you know, things like the planning reform with the ancillary dwellings for example, from a granny flat market point of view, you know, the government's try to remove red tape down in terms of planning to get those ancillary dwellings going, the residential design co changes and trying to have improved planning. Reform is going to clearly try and help our medium density industry because that's really critical. You know, the high identity apartments, as Tim we'll talk to, is hard to stack because of the cost of labor and materials here. So unless they've got a river or an ocean view, they're harder. So hence medium density has to be a focus. But at the same time, land developers are also working feverishly to produce more land. I know all the civil contractors are working flat out to make sure that we can keep that supply going of land.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Cam, Tim Reardan from the HIAS perspective. When you came into six PR today, Tim, you would have seen a huge building development down on the corner which is the old State Chemistry laboratories. You would have seen the new university being built over in Yagan Square. These big projects they suck up government projects. They suck up labor too, don't they.
Speaker 28: Yeah, there's no doubt we're competing viercely with all of the other industri's mining industry, construction, engineering and trying to attract kids to our industry as apprentices. AD's very true and it is a little bit of a double edged sword for us. We need to build infrastructure in order to build new homes and that chicken and battle we're having with labor. But all of it comes back to four percent unemployment in Australia. So everyone's got a job. That's a positive. And for a West Australian perspective, what we're looking at now is economic growth that's far more stable than what Western Australia has had for in its roller coaster ride of the twenty years of mining booms and mining bus and when we look ahead, I don't see that we have that cycle, that boom bus cycle in the five years ahead. So look at more stable economic growth. Cam's just gone to apartments there, and that's right. Western Australia needs to significantly increase its volume of apartments. But there is a problem there that an established apartment still hasn't risen in price as rapidly as detached houses. Now, house prices in Perth have caught up with Brisbane. You're just ten percent cheaper now than Brisbane, and we knew that was going to happen. Twenty percent annual growth there now back down to ten percent annual growth, and we're going to see now in the rest of the country dropped the cash right, house prices are going to accelerate up.
Speaker 2: As they accelerate up.
Speaker 28: We will see more new detached home building and eventually apartments will start to stack up again. And we do have a capacity constraint. There very few apartment builders left in Western Australia and as you talk to the East Coast apartment builders, yes they don't want to come to Perth because there's no way to house their labor when they.
Speaker 2: Do come here.
Speaker 28: But we're now competing more homes in wa than we have for a decade and with time that will ease. We will see that supply come up and eventually house price growth in Perth will start to stabilize, I mean, not the double digit growth that you've had for the past few years.
Speaker 2: Fourteen and a half minutes to midday, the phone lines are open. If you'd like to speak to Tim Riridan from the HIA or to Camlaid from Summer, please do. We'll take a break. We'll come back in just a moment one double three A to eudy two. If you have any questions, I will ask you next about existing stock that's on the market, because there's an under supply of that as well, and other any leavers you think the government can tweak to to free up some of the existing stock. That might be you might have some empty Nesta mums and dads and grandparents living in them. Stay listening. Tim Ridden's with us. He's from the Housing Industry Association. He's a chief economist and cam Laid from the Summer Homes Groovers in the studio. If you want to ring in, you can Phil's phone in gents kid a Phil far away.
Speaker 6: Yeah hello, yeah go mate.
Speaker 25: To do with the strata, A lot of people don't like buying strata is because in apartments, because they have to pay austrata see one. And the maintenance of the strata companies have appalling record and the fees just increase and increase. And then two is a lot of these apartments have to be bought off the plan so they have a good architect that does the original drawings and then the build of fires the architect and gets the crappy architect in to finish the project and the project is very poor and then the fitties and fixtures are changed along the way instead of getting what you've been allocated and good fittings. And they come in and they get another builder and they bring in all of these cheap dixtures and fittings and that's the reason why people don't like buying apartments in Perth. And this happens all over the Australia and then the apartments start to fall apart.
Speaker 2: Phil, I'll get candor respond to that shouldn't happen.
Speaker 27: But no, it shouldn't happen. And thanks for throwing to me on that one.
Speaker 28: I think you'll find that on that front of plans changing after sale, you'll find the atual who have made some legilative changes over the course of the past few years that will significant constrain that. But yes, on those strata fees that there is a component, the cost component there. It is going to take some time in Perth before we see that off the plan apartment phase come through. There is another component to that which is the same in these coast as well, which is a very low level of apartment building because we have forced foreign capital out of the market.
Speaker 2: We've taxed foreign capital.
Speaker 28: We allow individuals people to come in, but they're not allowed to bring the money with them in order to build new homes. Now, at some stage, I expect that state governments will realize that those policies are allowing people in but not the money to build new homes is counterproductive. They get less stamp duty revenue, less economic activity. Less homes built make the housing affordability crisis worse, and we will see a reversal of those trends just.
Speaker 2: On just on existing versus new housing. Stock. Cam and Tim my mate went looked at a place on the weekend as a part of a strata complex. Ninety odd people went through. Probably sixty people put in an offer and it went for one hundred more than it was advertised for. And I think you and I might have a different opinion on this, Tim. I've always thought when people are trying to write size, if people are you know, they're empty nesters, kids have moved out, they want to buy an apartment, they still want to pay stamp duty. I think if that's tweaked, that might free up more stock. But you're big on this notion of people buying apartments, aren't you and the apartments is the answer.
Speaker 28: No, there's certainly there's a time and place for all of that. And the balance here in Western Australia isn't right. We are building ninety percent detached and by the end of the decade we expect that that's much more of a sixty thirty split. But yes, stam duty is a core problem because it is a very inefficient tax. A taxes people when they're relocating because they're retiring, or they need to move for their job, or for their health reasons, or for education or employment. It leads to all of the poor land use, people staying home longer than what they should say Yes, no, stamp duty is the core of our problems. Now, we're not going to solve the stamp problem in the course of the next few years, and it is going to lose us with a situation where we still have the same number of houses and the population nationally twenty seven million people, ten million homes. That's the underlying problem. That is the reason that housing affordability is worsing as well. We've got home ownership rates in decline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll come back to you, Cams, I reckon we'll go back to where we started, which is labor. That's a big one for summer. Isn't it getting enough labor or get to that can make that just a sec get a in.
Speaker 10: Far away just kind of question. Is there a shortage of basic raw materials in Perth? No, it is not.
Speaker 27: The supply chain has definitely improved. There's certainly some challenges through the home building grant, and obviously you know we're very remote, so we do rely on on importation from overseas for some materials, but ultimately all of the stuff is all made here, So the material supply chain is definitely stabilized and normalized here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, both of you are quite optimistic that we might be through some of the things we have been seeing insolvencies and issues, and both of you are quite optimistic, last half full that he's going to get better from here. Michelle bullet as a kindly, the last couple of times, last couple of means means I have to pay less of my mortgage.
Speaker 28: Tim what's that going to do to the sector. Well, you've probably got a couple more of those to come to. The inflation went up because of global crisis has come back down along with the rest of the world as well. And so from everything we can see that CPI is coming back within target bounding gain to continue. So one two, maybe more rate cuts this year, perhaps a little bit more next year. Now, long term, we're not going to return to zero point seventy five percent cash rate just before the pandemic. It's three point sixty five at the moment. We're not getting back to that pre pandemic level because population, government expenditure is really high. But nonetheless cut to the cash rate. We'll see established prices rise as people can borrow more. We do have a shortage of housing stock and increasingly that will lend. See people building new home building and apartment building will increasingly stack up financially.
Speaker 2: And you also seem you also mentioned renovations that's up forty percent.
Speaker 28: Did you say, yeah, renovation market in Perth is the strongest in the country. You're seeing renovation activity pick up as house prices grow, and here it's even more so. The reason for that is that when we hit this particular point in the cycle where land prices are rising, people make the decision rather than to relocate, they make the decision to renovate. And there is another dynamic at plan Western Australia, which is the labour force has been very much skewed towards new home building and very little towards the renovation.
Speaker 2: Other markets.
Speaker 28: Long term we typically see about a third of the labour sitting on the renovation side and two thirds on new home building, and WA is just still Perth is just recalibrating there to get the right structure, so enormous six manager high end quality renovations is a very good side of the market for.
Speaker 2: A builder to be involved in at the moment. Yep, Cam Tim's here to talk at the dime by Summit Developments dinner, so you'll get to your a bit more of him this evening. I guess a cold shardy thank you both for coming in. I really appreciate it, and you both of you are optimistic that we've probably seen the worst of what we have seen. You came your bullish.
Speaker 27: Yeah, Simon, I think it's a it's a really good point. I think. I guess the message to to the listeners is that if you're thinking about doing something, do it now. There's a bit of a misconception that the prices will go down. Prices prices won't go down and certainly the cost of building won't go down. So I guess we feel that things have stabilized. There's a bit more normalization coming into the market. New land prices are starting to sort of stabilize.
Speaker 6: For a bit.
Speaker 27: So I think if you're if you're wondering what to do, my message would be to do it now and start making those plans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thank you both for coming in. It's a good, good chat to have at this time. I feel you've you've filled me with optimism and buoyancy for the future. Thanks gents, thank you, thanks for coming in. That so Tim Riddan from the Housing Industry Association of Australia. He's the chief economist in cam Lane, cam Laide is the GM of the Summitt Homes Group. Hope you enjoyed that. Three and a half minutes to midday John's and Applecross today. John, thanks for setting in your SMS mate or even apartment Applecross and couldn't be happy. I would never move back to a house to the strata argument. If the people who own houses, especially with lawn's pools of church, I'm shore fine spend more at Bunnings and mates, you would just spend on strata especially most apartments have a gym. Thanks John. I wonder if you know those beautiful big apartments on Canning Highway that everyone was winging about. Now people seem to love. Yeah, thanks John, Thanks for your thoughts midday. We'll be back after news.
Speaker 1: Until one. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont on Perth six. Yeah, thanks for listening in.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to call the show you hand wonderuble three atty two. We have put the application form into Oliver Peterson and he's given as sup permission to speak to Andrew Williams in just a moment. You'll hear Willow with JB on the weekends talking movies, and you hear Andrew Williams on Fridays talking to all of about TV shows. Handmaid's Tale, Who's run for six series, run for six seasons and it's just finish. It's finishing up today. So the final episode of the final series, the finale is today. And I'm asking you going to ask you that question, and Andrew, that question, what a TV series that you haven't made it all the way through where you've got to series three or four and you've got na that's yeah, Nah, that's enough. That'll do me. I've got a couple. One double three A two is the phone number. Craig Bloxham will join us in just a moment. Craig is the singer, songwriter, lead guitarist, lead vocalist of the Spy is a Spy as Spies got some new music out and they're coming to Perth. One double three A D two is the phone number. Quite a few of the television shows, the new shows are predicting that Murray what the environments, that he's going to approve the extension to the Woodside contract. I just wonder if there's some middle ground here, if he will approve the extension and put some caveats on it, maybe reduce the term so instead of fifty sixty seventy years, it might be twenty or twenty five, and Scott Reef will be excised from the deal. I think which Woodside already flagged that. One double three A D two is the phone number Liam's phoned in? Can I Liam, hello, mate?
Speaker 8: I love you show you just wanted to say, what a stupid idea of this? Picking up boxing is teaching violence, encouraging violence, like, why not put towards safety of women, mate, They overturned this to allow vote for it. They just get some shell kids in order like that, or some protection for women. Just wrong area of.
Speaker 2: All right, Liam, thank you mate, thanks for call.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Liam doesn't like what's now being called b b KFC BKFC as in UFC Beart Knuckle Fighting Championship. My colleague Jamie Burnett spotted this a couple of weekends ago that this the legislation has been changed to allow that to be recognized as a combat sports. The Combat Sports Commission, which are based at the department formerly known as DSR but now d l G s i C, they will make a decision as to whether this event will go forward. It sounds like it will. They've changed the couple of criteria so the competitors need to be of a certain experience and they've up the requirement around doctors being present at the bf B KFC when it comes here. Thanks Liam, thanks for thoughts mate. And that is echoing a lot of cours bonds that we're getting into the show today. Get a cal he says, Simon's ironic there yesterday you're up to about nangs and there was a question in the Daily Quiz in the paper today about the common name for Nio sox side funny, love the show and the wide range of views on the different issues. All the best, thanks Cal good on you Nick Say's Prison Bake Break, Prison Break season one and two. Good. Then got a little silly They keep any the slammer up. A bit of a red flag, isn't it. Love the show? Yeah, thanks Ni TV shows that you haven't made it all the way through all the series gooda Mark good Simon.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The black List I think maybe to about season six or seven from memory, it ended up probably about ten seasons. But it just got a bit silly. Too many plot twists, the key cast members leaving. They just got a bit silly.
Speaker 2: It was James Spader in all the series, Mark, yeah, I think he was Yeah, okay, all right, Blacklist so you got to yeah, all right mate, Thank you, cheers, thanks for your thoughts. One, double three two. We spoke to Brett Christian on Friday. Brett today, if you're listening. Brett is the editor of The Post newspaper group started with the Subi Post. Of course, Brett told us last Friday that he had imported a printing press from Canada and he was being built and is being built and finished out in the eastern suburbs of Perth. Well, we asked Brett if this might lead to more diversity in the newspapers that are printed in Perth. Cross are going up at the big printing press in Aussie Park owned by seven West Media. That you seem to have squeeze the Australian Financial Review out of production here in Perth. You can still get it online of course, but we did speak to Brett this morning just for a text message and the door may be open for the Finn Review to restart distribution of its print edition in Perth and in w A. They might use the new printing press that Brett has purchased and built out in the Eastern suburbs. This is Brett Christian on newspaper diversity last Friday.
Speaker 29: It's a high speed prestol will print out paper in half a day, so that you know there is spare spare capacity there. It's we we find that people really like their their their local news and and they like it, I think more importantly they like to have a variety of voices. There's you know, there is there is a big centralized media operation in in Perth, in print especially. I mean there's there's the cells in the ABC and and and a smaller electronic our it's but sales print goes. It's it's them or nothing at the moment.
Speaker 2: And we ran a yes no poll on this on Friday, would you like to see another major newspaper, major in mainstream meeting newspaper in Perth? And the yeses did win the day on Friday. And I can tell you that the finn Review people and Brett's people have been talking. So Brett has reached out to the Australian Financial Review and said we're here if you want to use the printing press. So that that has happened. The phone lines are open. As shows you haven't seen all the way through TV series you haven't watched right the way through to you know, series ten, Damien, gooday, Hi, good day.
Speaker 11: I've thought I watched the first two seasons.
Speaker 12: I think of Grim.
Speaker 21: Grim yep, yep, and Lost as well, it got a little bit weird at.
Speaker 2: The end and Lost. So Grim was Grim is in double m isn't it as in the Grim fairy tales?
Speaker 10: Yes, that's right, Sorry, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no waries. That's and lost as well, bowled out a lost.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it bailed out a lost.
Speaker 11: It's got a little bit too weird.
Speaker 7: I think I've just watched the first four seasons.
Speaker 2: Mate, Yeah, all right, all right mate, thank you, Damien. I think if Rob Letcher is listening, Rob for McCaulay here at six PR. He was big on Lost. I think one double three a eighty two. Rick says today, Simon, I tried to watch the Carlton Football Club television show until about series round six. I can't watch it anymore. It's just too hard. Thanks Rick. Yeah, that's gone south a bit, mate, hasn't it gone sideways south? Whatever you want to say. The Prime Minister Anthony Albernizi has fueled speculation that Murray Watt is Environment Minister, will will extend the Woodside contract the least contract. This was the Prime Minister. I think was this yesterday? I am this is yesterday? Wasn't it so Albow yesterday? On woodside you can't have renewables, I know you have firm in capacity.
Speaker 27: Simple as that.
Speaker 2: You don't to transition through you know, warm thoughts.
Speaker 13: You do it through a concrete proposal, which is the expansion of renewables up to eighty two percent of the grid.
Speaker 27: But the way that that occurs is it needs firm in capacity.
Speaker 2: Firm in capacity we understand it needs. It needs the gas fire power station component before we can transition to renewables, which is something that the state and federal labor governments do want to do and are committed to. Yeah, there's there's I just noticed in on I heard Carl talking about this this morning about the wind farms in Japan that are lying idle. There's a massive one billion dollar wind farm with turbines that are just stalled in Queensland as well. But we also hear on at the other end of the scale that Narranger upon Sharon arrangerup might give as many as two hundred and fifty turbines installed down there. And I do hear the argument that these turbines are replacing habitat and animals are being displaced or euthanazed. I haven't heard that in Wa. I've mostly heard that when turbines are going on to low yield agricultural land and that farmers want them, but communities are skeptical. They want to get some benefit out of these things being built. They want some money to go back into the community and they also want some power into the local grid. We've just have made contact with the Environment Minister's team, Murray Watt's team. A decision has not been finalized as yet on Woodside, it could be as soon as this Saturday, seventeen past twelve when we come back. Andrew Williams, those television series that you never quite got all the way through. Yeah, thanks listening in. We are borrowing Andrew Williams today of Oli. You'll hear him with Oli on Friday on TV streaming, and you're hearing the JB on movies on the weekend. He joins us now today, Andrew, good to talk, good to chat with you. Yeah, both types of music, putting the band back other country and Western.
Speaker 10: You me, am, I No, I won't ask that question.
Speaker 3: YEP.
Speaker 2: Three orange whips now, I don't know it started. The Handmaid's Tale finishes up today, the finale season six. I watched the first two mate, Are you have you been on board with Handmaid's Tale throughout?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 10: No, I haven't. I made it through episode one and it was one of the most significantly harrowing experiences of my life that I really struggled to go, Oh, I think I want a second dose of that, which is not to say that that's not the that's the point, right, that's the point, And it probably says a lot more about me than it does the show. But I did continue to watch it from from there on. But I you know, when it gave we've seen them one finished, and it gave me an opportunity to have a break, I kind of went, yeah, I don't know if I'll come.
Speaker 2: I'll come back to that Series one episode one.
Speaker 10: Yeah, No, I watched series I watched all of series one, but after just episode one, I thought this might be on borrow time. I reckon because and for me, it's a lot of the I don't mind if the show is very grim and dark and all the things that The Herman's Tail does on purpose, and it was very very well made, but it didn't it didn't sort of balance it with a watchability that I particularly found in it. And what I've found by talking to other people that have that have really stuck it out, is that it did fall off a little bit of a cliff as it went along in terms of quality. But for those that have made it to the Bitter End eight years later or whatever it is. It's airing on SBITS on demand as we speak. It's literally dropping online right now.
Speaker 2: All right, So we're asking our listeners TV series that you haven't made it all the way through. I watched the first two and I think I've told you this, Andrew. I fell asleep one during one episode in series one, and when I worked out, the hauled this poor girl out of a truck and hangar in the street.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 2: Reacted badly to that, and I had nightmares about it, and you know, I was a grown up. It's bloody, brutal Handmaid's Tale, isn't it?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 15: It is, it is.
Speaker 10: It is brutal, and I think and a lot of shows have struggle, particularly dystopian shows like like The Handmaid's Tale, with balancing that with a sort of an appropriate dose of hope or sort of reason to keep going. So my experience with this, and I won't steal anyone else's too many ideas from other people, but that the show that represented that most of all for me was The Walking Dead. Yes, yes, where I think I got to I think it was the infamous Megan episode with a baseball bat, and I went, you know what, short.
Speaker 2: Too, exactly the same episode. You and I are the same bloke. Yeah, the barbed wire wrapped around the baseball bat. Yeah, and the world was closing in and I couldn't see any ray of sunshine or hope. It made me despondent, Andrew.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I think there was a point, and I think it's only got worse as the show went along, But there was a point where I realized that all of the almost all of the original characters that I had watched were now dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 10: Not all of them, but almost all of them. And I kind of started going, well, what's the point of any of this, Like, if it's not an incredibly watchable show, which it certainly wasn't by that point, I just kind of went, I just don't know if I can have this level of misery in my life on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brendan, Brendan agrees to you and I the Blacklist and Walking Dead season nine. I didn't get to season nine. I got the four or five I think about. Yeah, silly, but there you go. Thanks Brendan, appreciate it. Now we've got an off topic question from Jeff and Bayswater. Who is who is the poster child? Off the topic questions today? Jeff oh Hi Simon. Yeah, I was just a little bit confused day.
Speaker 6: But I'd like to know.
Speaker 2: I like to know, Andrew, I've actually got.
Speaker 5: Someone sent it to me Scarface two.
Speaker 26: Is that actually going to be a movie or is that going to be a series?
Speaker 2: Or is it true?
Speaker 10: I have not heard anything about this, I as there are there is quite a lot of fake trailers on the internet. I don't know if anyone has sent you anything along those, but I can't see anything from any reputable source that indicates that there is a Scarface two in the works. There is a Scarface remake that was going to be made at some stage, but that has been that's been in development for a long time. It doesn't seem to be moving forward. So I don't know that i'd be pinning anything to your calendar at this point.
Speaker 2: Just the room you heard at the Basewater Hotel, I suspect, Jeff, yeah, under the influence, Yeah very much, all right, mate, thank you, one, double three, A two. That TV series, he didn't make it all the way through. Andrew and I have been the same on Handmaid's Tail, and also on The Walking Dead, which just got really really tough to watch. I'm what, I am struggling to go back to a bit and I do like I do like the books. Is Reacher I keep sort of oh yeah, bailing out to get out of that. Reaches hasn't quite grabbed me.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's interesting because that's only at season three. That's not a great That's not a great sign, is it. I've got one from sort of the right over the other side of the fence. I mean, all the shows we've talked about have been really grim, violent kind of shows. I gave up on Glee. That's I think. At the end of season three, I sort of had an epiphany and I realized that what I was watching was very bad, and it had been bad for about a season, and I was still coasting on the glow of those first couple of seasons, and then it sort of dissipated on me without warning, and I suddenly realized that I was wasting my time.
Speaker 2: You do you like that, John, don't you? Ordinarily?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Look, as everyone knows, I love a show tune and I love a musical, and I was I was, I was right into it for the first couple of seasons, and then there was Yeah. I remember the moment quite vividly, but I just went, nah, I'm done, I'm out, I'm moving, I'm moving on to something else. I'm spending my time on a show that respects it.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nah, I got to two episodes to go in Squid Game.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, yeah, season one?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and yeah, now I need to go and do some voluntary work somewhere or make better.
Speaker 10: Get a positive contribution to society. Instead, I've got one more. And again I don't mean to steal one for other people, but the House of Cards, the American version, really really ran off the rails hard to particularly, sort of like season four or five, and just completely lost its way, and then obviously beyond that things only got worse somehow from there. So yeah, So that one was one where I was like, again, I just realized that. And I think this is a thing with a lot of streaming shows as well, is that they don't have any limits on time, so they don't edit stuff. And editing is the great lost skill of making television. There is absolutely no reason that anything anyone makes ever to be longer than it needs to be, and yet they do it all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's I hadn't thought of that will. And when we were discussing this this morning with my hard working team, game, inevitably the topic of Game of Thrones came up, and that that very odd last season where we got to you can actually physically see and feel when the book stopped, and then there were four more episodes where people go, what do we do now?
Speaker 10: Yep? This is my this is my catchphrase around television, which is here, we always get into trouble when we run out of book, and this is the concern that I have around Shogun when that comes back to season two, because there's no more book. I've run out of a book. It's happened to a lot of other shows, and I think you can you're absolutely right. With Game of Thrones. There was just it's like different people started making the show as soon as they ran out of book, and they were they're real trouble. But that is when I'm glad I saw through to the end, if only for the discourse, the discussion around it that I can participate in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was all very weird. It was so so interconnected and so clever, and then it's just yeah, it's it's yeah, it was the Mate compiled by Chickens the last.
Speaker 10: Four Yes, I can give you one show that I reckon almost everyone will have had this at some stage. I suspect there is a show that I think almost everyone has given up on at some point, and at that time will differ depending on the person. Some people may be sticking with it, but I reckon almost everyone would have a point at which they gave up on The Simpsons because it's been you know, it's thirty five seasons. That's just a lot for one human to watch, and so I think I think people will have had this experience with that show at some stage as well, and no doubt mileage will vary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's that's a really good one. And it's nice to know. It's nice to know that, you know, maybe what's that Atlantis still exists the yetty It's nice to know they're still out there, maybe the filer scene, and there's still episodes as the Symptoms out there that we haven't seen. If I can, yeah, draw a very long bow in the mountains somewhere yet there's just a lot of it. Yeah, there is, Hey, mate, brilliant, really nice. It's all to you. We'll hear you on Friday with Oliver and on the weekends with our mate Jamie Burnett.
Speaker 10: Absolutely great chat to you.
Speaker 2: Thanks having see mate Andrew Williams who back in the day, back in the day used to be a producer on this show. Andrew Williams fine fine producery was as well. But now he's he's found his mark now doing what he does our yes, no question today? Is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? What he's seeing the YESTERDA Twenty four of the nos are thirteen. This on the back of on Sunday at a junior soccer match under eleven's we think under eleven Mini rus up At Mindari, a bloke allegedly from the Whitford City Football Club, forty two year old you've heard about him in our news managed to grab hold of an eleven year old players neck and we'll have his day in court in June. They are the allegations. Gooday, Gary, Gary, there did.
Speaker 30: I farmnandre a? My line Blue Bloods with Tom Seller probably watched the first three series and then it's started repening itself. It's sort of a bit repetitious.
Speaker 2: That's Thanks, Garrett. What era is that? Mate? When was that shown.
Speaker 30: In the eighties?
Speaker 29: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right ninety? Yeah, thanks Gary, choose mate twenty eight minutes to one o'clock on the show. Next, Craig Bloxham, who is the singer, songwriter, lead vocalist, league guitarist in Spy Versus Spy. Stay listening, Carl. The k Issus is his handmade's tail. Heyes, it dropped off, but this last series, number six redeemed itself and he's really good. Exclamation mark. Thank you, Carl. Thanks for you, correspondence. Let's go to our new droom here at six PR. John Nichols, good afternoon.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Simon, good afternoon. West Australians who are members of the Stolen Generations will receive eighty five thousand dollars each under an addressed scheme that'll take effect the end of the month. Stolen Generations redress schemes were recommended in the nineteen ninety seven Bringing Them Home Report. Until now all states and territories but w Way and Queensland had announced their schemes.
Speaker 2: The man who.
Speaker 4: Sexually assaulted and murdered an eight year old girl in a shopping center bathroom in canning Vale has been denied parole for a third time. Dante Arthur's was initially jailed for thirteen years, but the state's homicide laws have since been overhauled to allow such offenders to be jailed for life. It's been a house fire in Perth's North that's led to a smoke alert being issued for the entire suburb. Firefighters were called to the home and clerks in about twenty to eleven. The fire was put out a short time later. No one's been hurt. Alexipoprin is among three Australians through to round two of the French Open, and Collingwood will be bolstered by the return of several star players for Fridays of Blockbuster Clash with Hawthorne at the g Darcy Moore's Steel Side Bottom at Lockey Shultz, Scott Pendlebury and Bobby Hill will all be available. Eighteen degrees at the moment, nine overnight, mostly sumy and twenty three tomorrow more news one.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, John, appreciate that. And we'll look at Nichols Niche tomorrow. John mightn't being a Wednesday, Yes we will, we will. We are looking forward to it me too. Yeah, thank you John, John Nichols. We're lucky to have him our news reader here through the afternoon. You hear John's work on Perth Live with Oliver. Do you remember this song, folks? Do you remember it as straight and classic big Sound? Formed in nineteen eighty one, Spy versus Spy. They've been called lots of things over the years. They are now the r Spies, Craig Blots the gun lead man, front man for spies and the our spies joined us now good they Craig good to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Hey, God, how does everybody over in wa going well?
Speaker 2: Mate? Going absolutely beautiful, beautifully. Can't wait to see you guys over here in early June. I'll let people know how they can come and see you. Big sound for three piece, wasn't it, mate? When you look back and good? I say this to all our gun guests, good songs, hold up, Oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: Look, thank you very much. We were in the right place at the right time, I think. But there is something special about a three piece band in the sunset. You've got nowhere to hide, so you've really got to come up with the goods. And we were always very socially minded, So we just wrote songs about what we saw around us and social issues and the politics of the time. And yeah, yeah, spies were a great part of my life. I feel grateful to have been part of it.
Speaker 2: You did have a cracked any or that that was, you know, political, political staff, homelessness, credit cards, all, all of that was in the mix on Harry's Reasons and on AO modified TV version, which are two of my favorite albums. Here. You had to go there stuff, didn't you.
Speaker 3: We did because we felt strongly that the world was kind of going topsy turvy. Like one of the lines from Credit Cards is half a world with credit cards and the other half the left to starve. And sadly, I think it's still kind of relevant today, which is why we've done the ass Bys. We've just taken all the songs from a long time ago and reimagined them with a bit of a mongrel rock rock sound.
Speaker 2: Hey, Craig, I saw your live a lot of times. You were always sort of two or three on the bill, and that's sort of where you've seen the fit wasn't it was just you just smash it out for an hour. It seemed that you had all that live energy that was a big part of Spies back then, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, well, it really was. We're full of, full of, full of the power and the passion to quote the oils. But it's going to be the same thing this weekend. I haven't changed that much apart from getting older, and I've got two great musicians with me. We've got Chris Lowe on drums and he pounds the crap out of his drums. And we've got a young Maori guy on guitar, t Koy Tarawa from New Zealand and of course they've got a very big reggae scene over in New Zealand and he's brought brought that to the band, which we recorded on our debut album Unit Again, which came out last year and it went top ten in the Arian sharts for a week, but it was top ten, top ten, top ten.
Speaker 2: We just played I'll get Max to play Don't Tear It Down from the Asspy, so the reggae version of the of the epic Don't Tear It Down. Have a listen, here we go. That's cool mate, that works as a still nice and loud maybe thank you.
Speaker 3: We had a lot of fun recording and it's just like the Spies. It's just completely different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it is. Yeah, it's the same, but it's different. How's it going down?
Speaker 12: Live?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 2: And the pipe sound good? The voice is holding up.
Speaker 3: Thank you, the voice is holding up. It's a miracle, but but it is. We're going down really well. A lot of people have been very, very skeptical because a lot of people hear the word reggae and they go, I don't really.
Speaker 19: Like that kind of music.
Speaker 3: But all of the fans of the music who come and see the band, they always come up afterwards and say, look, I wasn't sure what to expect, but you guys are absolutely pumping because I've got a couple of younger guys with me, so they can actually play a lot better than I can. So I'm relying on them. The Spies. We just get up there like the old Spies did, and we just pound the hell out of everything and it's a lot of fun. And our old time fans really are saying that it's just a trip down down memory lane.
Speaker 2: What are you playing? What is when are you playing? On that track?
Speaker 3: I play the bass and I sing and I jump around like an idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bass, They make the Steve Kilby once told me, Craig, he says, I like the bass because you make the whole building shake, you make dust come out of the roof.
Speaker 3: That's right, good on you, Steve Kilby. He's written some great Australian songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has of you, mate. Our spires are playing the Amplifier on May the thirtieth, the River Hotel, Mate River on May the thirty first, and the Indian Ocean Hotel on June the first, which is absolutely perfect down there with the Ocean Hotel where the carpet sticks to your shoes. Craig, you'll like that, Hey, may just done. Just going back to some of the and this is I was talking to my gang about this this morning. When when I when I start my car and I plug my phone in through the through the auxiliary chord into the thing, it plays songs in alphabetical order that I got stored. The instrumental version of AO modified comes on every time, every time me and the kitchen in the car. It's every single time we hear that that song as soon as we get in the how Good and the other one. I wanted to ask you one of your more whimsical songs is use your Head and are awesome? Great song? Was that bloke real? Was that the bloke who's late for work, drunk driving, losing job? Is that a real bloke?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it was me actually I wrote about me. I've lost my license three times. Look, let's not go into the silly things that we've done, but everyone does silly things and that was just kind of my song. We're writing about. Please don't be like me, don't be silly. Use your head?
Speaker 2: How many times have you? Well that, well, that that is a revelation. I thought you were going to say, no, he's just a hybrid makeup of all my loser mates. But it was auto biographical.
Speaker 3: Three times mate, I've lost my license three times. So yeah, but we are really looking forward to playing at the Indian Nation and well all of the gigs. We're going to play the Golden Mile as well, which we wrote about Calgooley and we're just going to have a great time. The band's really firing and everyone can look forward to a great night.
Speaker 2: Really good to talk to you, mate, And thanks to Bob Gordon to organized the chat and the good fellow Bob the former editor's Great Express Magazine Here in perfect massive out of the w music scene. Nice to chat to you, Craig. Go Well, it's the May the thirtieth, the Amplify the River Hotel in mart River, May thirty first, and down at the Union Hotel on during the first Cheers mate, good to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you very very much. It's this weekend. See you there everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cheers mate, Thank you. Craig Bloxham Ripper. They were good band, Spies and as I say, they sort of fitted in a second or third on the bill, didn't they. And they were a countdown band nineteen eighty one. They came out, they played some big gigs, they played some little gigs. Here's another sample of so we played Don't Tear It Down the Reggae the R Spires version, and here's here's credit cards big bass sound there from Craig Bloxham. The Spy versus Spires are now called the R Spires is and the Reggae Spires, and that here this weekend. Go and see them May. By the sound of this, you'll have a good night. How good reggae crossover thirty minutes to one o'clock. We'll come back in and just a moment let you know how our poul is going today. Junior sport parental behavior on the sidelines, yes or no? Are you concerned about it?
Speaker 7: God?
Speaker 2: Our caller of the day today win a couple of tickets to go and see Western Falls playing the British and Irish Lions when they're here later next month. So that's our call of the day prize. We'll give that away in just a moment. It's nine and a half minutes to one o'clock. Is the sideline behavior of parents in junior sports still an issue? What are you seeing rather than what you're reading or hearing? What are you seeing? And the yes is are twenty seven? The nose a sixteen? So reasonably balanced today in our poll Oli. We'll talk to Olie in a moment just to find out what he does have on his show this afternoon between one on five and Perth Live a bit more on the Northwest Shelf. So mister Albinizi has flagged potentially that the lease will be extended. The naysayers are lining up today and this week with their thoughts, which they're entitled to do, of course, as long as they invade Meg O'Neil's home. Trespass on a home and put paint on a fence in a wall and do all of that because that's illegal. The Conservation Council WA and other environment groups will host a demonstration at Parliament House today from five thirty to seven thirty. So for them, this is a clear public rejection from these groups of wood sized Northwest Shelf gas plant expansion and its long term impacts they say on climate, nature and First Nations culture. So there get together this afternoon at Parliament from five thirty. Will will involve giant inflatable caricature puppets, banners and performances by their drummers for climate action for those of you who do want to go. But it certainly seemed albo yesterday. See the flag that it's going to get a green light, whether it be watered down or whether it be pull pared back a little bit as in the term of the lease, or there are other parts of it. But it looks like murray, what is going to make a decision. We had heard from Chamber of Minerals and sorry AMEIC the Association of Mining explor Exploration and what's the sea in that olie A cool people, cool people they met with a company. Thank you, Thanks Anne. Thanks thank god for Australian mining exploration, cool people, thank god for really organized smart producers. Thank you Anne. Thank you Sean good a mate. What have you got for us today?
Speaker 23: This afternoon, Bowie, we will be talking to a Perth principle who has just published a letter to parents reminding them to parents. Yeah, okay, so there's just recently been a international conference for boys' schools where it's being described as a global epidemic that basically parents have forgotten how to parents and the children are the ones who rule the roost at home.
Speaker 2: Mom and dad don't like to.
Speaker 23: Say no to their sons in this example anymore, and that it is becoming increasingly difficult for teachers to be able to set boundaries and put rules in place. Now, Bowie, we've been hearing that on the talkback lines anecdotally for quite some time. But if we're now getting our educators having to get to the point where they are the ones who have to write to the parents to remind them that they need to do their job, but hold up there into the bargain, is it it just a generational change? Obviously, I'm a young dad and I know how I was brought up by my parents and saw how they were brought up by their parents. This kind of, you know, soft parenting approach, where you know your son or your daughter might make the decisions about when they want to go to bed, or what television show or what they might want to stream on their iPad. We all live in a society that he is governed by rules and regulations. When you get out of school, it's not like your parents are going to be bringing up the boss to say, you.
Speaker 2: Know, oh can you help Holly out here?
Speaker 23: You know, he doesn't really want to turn up today. Oh why because Simon spoke to him Paula yesterday. You know, that's the sort of breed of children we're bringing up these days.
Speaker 2: A missive parenting. I was just a pet on my screen, Oliver. I wonder if their educator wrote to me. I don't know if I've forgotten had a parent, because I'm not sure I evern knew how to do it in the first time, just kind of made it up. Are you doing good day to day? Thank you?
Speaker 23: So? Are you fair?
Speaker 2: And they say he's not supposed to be mates with your kids?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 23: Look, I think the difficulty of obviously telling your child no can it at first? You know, when you've got to raise your voice at them or you've got to get them into trouble.
Speaker 2: You might not feel good about it, but hey, you're doing it for their own good. You do it for their own benefit. Yeah, and it's about respect for others to absolutely what else do you have for us? All of us? So thanks for lending us Andrew Williams for a five minutes. He's good, isn't he? He's very good.
Speaker 23: Paul, some h is coming in the Consumer Protector, So I'm looking forward to have a chat to Paul and Mark guyer MG on the show today Origin Obviously tomorrow night, I've in sun Corpse Stadium, will be calling the match live here on six PR.
Speaker 2: Are you picking New Southwest? Yeah, Heart or Head?
Speaker 23: I think Head because Heart, actually that sounds odd. Heart wants to go for Queensland because they're in Brisbane and I was just there for Magic Ground and I kind of got caught up in the buzz of just how Queensland love rugby league so much. So I'd love to see Queensland and at Suncorp Stadium. On paper though, I think your South As could give them an absolute hiding handsing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you never know. That's a really bad origin, right queens.
Speaker 23: They always turn up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was true. Now the sideline behavior of parents in junior sport is it's still an issue. You have the final say on this, Oliver.
Speaker 1: But yes, is it twenty eight and the Noser sixteight.
Speaker 2: You're worried about it or mate? Yes at twenty eight and the Nosa sixteen. Thank you, Oliver. I'll be listening to I'll be listening this afternoon between one and five. It's four minutes to one. Back in a moment, Cole says, see at the any Notion Hotel Bowie love the Spies, Me too, Cole, thank you, mate. Call of the day today's Luise and her ADHD diagnosis. Lou thanks for ringing two tickets see the British Irish Lions versus the Western Forces and the twenty eighth of June. You set top the stadium your tickets and ticket Master they're selling fast. Olli Peterson up next with perth Lie