Speaker 1: Yes, good morning. How are you hope you're going well. I'm here until one o'clock today with my hard working team. Sean and Ann will pick up the phone if you do. Ring in one double three eight eighty two. And Jimmy is back on the Keys today after a little injury layoff. Welcome back, James, Thank you Simon. Very good to be here. Yeah, good to see you mate.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Doun to Max who's filed in Abirinburley in the last a couple of days while Jimmy was away on the show today Mick Corlos and his beautiful mind. He'll be here after eleven Law Talk. We'll move Law Talk to ten o'clock today because we're going to talk to Leo Sayer at ten thirty today. So Leo Sayer the star of the Countdown era, wasn't he Englishman turned Australian And he'll join us on the program tomorrow. He's touring. Leo Sayer is touring with all those great great songs from the seventies and eighty so he's on the show today. We'll talk to Mike McKenna as well. He's the CEO of Optus. Do a health check of the ground. See if the cell's got used last night at the cop shop. They're very very different Rugby League people. I went along the different outside the ground. They're different in the taxis, they're different getting into the ground. They're just very different from AFL fans. They have a good time, they love the game. Well see what I did learn last night? You know how there's not meant to be an ubers stop at the stadium. There is one. It's not meant to be an uber stop at the stadiumhere. There is one. It's called Victoria Park Drive. It's that big road that comes off the freeway. You know when you're on the Windown Bridge and you go over the bridge. People just get out of the cars there. It's one big, gigantic uber stop. Ubers stop on the road. People to get out in their hundreds. Police are there, no biggie move along, Nothing to see here. See. Ubers are officially aren't allowed to take you to the camfield of the stadium, but they do and they just park and people get out of the car on the road at the traffic lights and just get onto the path. It's a little bit funny and maybe a little bit Rugby League as well. One double three A D two would love to hear from you today. We do understand that there's been an announcement about the poly fakers shothold borer from the minister. We think, we think we're moving into a different era. It's not eradication anymore. We're going to have to learn to live with the borer. The borer has won the war on the borer, folks. We'll have a chat to Holly Edward Smith, who's been at the press conference. I do have a yes no question for you today. I do have a yes no question. We'll try and clear this up. We'll keep a tally through the show. Right, let's clear this up once and for all. He's forty kilometers now too slow. Here's forty kilometers now too slow on a suburban road, on a local road. What do you reckon? Yes or no? It's forty k is now too slow. So now the City of Stirling have joined the five inner city councils so South Perth, Vincent, Cambridge, Subiaco and vic Park and Perth in considering a trial of reducing the speed limits on a number of roads. So these are the roads ostensibly that run between Reed Highway and caron Ut Road. So this is Claiment Drive Milverton, Pasco Affinity in Huntress. There's no accidents on them. They already have trafficcarming devices on them, and the Shia the cities stealing are considering reducing the speeds on those roads from fifty to forty. So they reckon people are rat running on them now I don't know that they are. I reckon people drive on those roads and I do to get to the shops and to get from carrn Ut Road through Reed Highway. They're not rat runs. They're just roads. Now. They happen to be local government roads, but they're roads. So our question for you today, this will go to council on July. The first is forty kilome is now too slow? Yes or no? Mix says it's way too slow. So these are suburban roads, These are not main roads. One double three eight ety two or you can text a zero four, eight seven, triple nine eighty two is way too slow, says Mick. Thank you. Mick. Hollywood Smith from the nine newsroom has been at a polyphagous shothole borer announcement this morning at eight thirties, joins me, Now, Hi, Holly, what can you tell.
Speaker 3: Us good morning Bowie.
Speaker 4: So today Jackie Jarvis has announced that in today's budget more than twenty six million dollars will be allocated for a response to shotthole borer. Now, this is an invasive beetle species that was first detected in WA back in twenty twenty one in East Fremantle and has since been the subject of one of the most expense extensive, rather nationally coordinated biosecurity responses. They're very keen to well. Initially they were keen to try and eradicate this invasive species, but due to a meeting yesterday with the National Management Group, it has been determined that it's no longer technically feasible to eradicate shothold borer from WA and after considering the latest starter, they'll be looking at ways to manage and slow the spread of this invasive species. Some key points from this.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, I was would say wholly in deeper sort of terms, we're transitioning out of eradication and then we're just moving into containment. I guess yeah.
Speaker 4: So they were very specific with their terminology, so it's no longer technically feasible to eradicate it and The reason they're saying that is effectively you could eradicate it, but you'd have to cut down thousands of trees in community areas right across the metropolitan area which it has been combined confined to so far, and you'd have to do that in such a short period of time that it isn't really feasible to do that, and you'd be actually killing way more trees than perhaps you would need to. In terms of the study that they've done so far, two point nine million trees have been looked at and they've only found four eight hundred detections. Of those trees, more than four thousand of them have been cut down. And so now they're looking at, you know, like you say, ways to kind of mitigate and slow the spread and ways that they can protect trees. So whether that's chemical agents like antisungles or insecticides.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, any word about the So the whole metro area WOLLY now is a container or quarantine zone, the zone A and zone But any changes to that.
Speaker 4: No, So, no changes to that. They're still hoping that they'll be able to contain it to that area. Eighty five percent of a recorded shothold borer incidents are within the inner metropolitan area, with a smaller percentage in the outer metropolitan region and area that they're hoping to slow the spread the most because there is a real threat to this invasive species traveling particularly to down South and impacting avocado growers. They pointed to regions like California and South Africa where they've been battling shothold boro for about twenty so they're working with international COUNTERFIP, but those region farmers have effectively just to manage this themsel and learn to live with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thank you, Holly. We'll hear your news in our news bulletins and on Channel nine.
Speaker 5: And thanks Holly, thankfully.
Speaker 1: See how Holly Edward Smith. So that's interesting, isn't it. Containment can't eradicate, it, can't get rid of the shothole borer. So we're going to try and contain it. And we did have allison' zammon on the other week and she said they've made some advances. Maybe you don't need to cut down a whole tree, you can just cut off the affected limbs. So that is a complete one eighty on how we're handling the shothole borer. Good a Johann Oh, good bonding, Simon.
Speaker 6: How are you very well?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 7: Simon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shockhole borer. So now we're in this situation. Maybe what we needed at the time was someone who's actually got a brain in the government, and I think that I think that was Mark McGowan's government. They decided to obviously cut close down the wood industry and so on. I mean, what are we what I'm saying, Simon, this is exactly why we're now in this situation. We close down the industry down south and now we're importing this rubbish and this is now the situation we find ourselves here. And one other thing, Simon, what are we doing for future building products? Where are we getting our wood from now?
Speaker 1: I can't argue with your first point, Joanne, that's a really good one. Yeah, that's it was imported wood came in through the Fremantle Port. Whether it's related to the closure of the industry, the forestry industry is a good question. I don't know. There will be people who work in industry that might want to give me call. Dave Kelly was the minister who closed the timber industry, and I don't know where the wood will come from again. If you work in the industry, if your builder, you and you use wood, if you're a chippy or you're a builder, let Joanna let me know. Love to Hear from You one double three eight eighty two is forty k is now too slow, sterly and considering it for the roads around the shops, the roads that go between karen Up Road and Read Highway. To me, they're roads. That's how you get through. You can't drive through the golf course. You can't drive through Hammersley golf course or through carron Up golf course. You can't drive through Lake well Up. That's how you get to the shops on those roads Milverton, Clement, Huntress, Pasco Finity, that's how you get through through their their roads they're not I mean they're not arterial, big arterial main roads. They're local roads. But their roads to get you from a to be Love to hear from You today is forty k is now too slow. The yeses have it at the moment. Lots of correspondence coming in as well. Cada Martin forty two slow. As a trade ear that has to drive from house to ourse, this adds to unproductive time and frustrations. Once again, we can't deal with a problem, so we punish everyone. Thank you, Martin. Shane says, why don't we just ride camels councilors of bloody idiot's great show. Simon, come on, Shane, you know I'll stick up for CA councils. Mate. Thanks for your thoughts. Barrius is under the circumstance and the roads you identified definitely too slow. Narrow residential roads okay, but not those roads that already have carming devices. And Barry Clement Drive in particular, which runs alongside on the western side of the can Up golf Course. I can remember when that had no traffic carming device on. It's got roundabouts, it's got narrowing, it's got brick paving, it's got all sorts, and now they want to make it forty k's an hour.
Speaker 8: You can't.
Speaker 1: You can't get up to forty ks an hour on it as it is. This is a consideration in front of the City of Stirling that will be considered a council July the first one, double three eighty two. It is budget day today, State budget day, so Reta Safioti will hand the budget down a little bit later on I reckon you'll hear the initial reactions today, probably in the afternoon with my colleague Golly Peterson. Might hear some immediate reactions, but most of the budget analysis will be tomorrow. I would have thought happy to hear from you. It is eighteen minutes past night is forty k is are now too slow. So the inner city councils what have we got? We've got South Perth, Vincent Cambridge, Perth vic Park are looking to reduce speed their local road speeds to forty ks. Now now that group say it reduces crashes, reduces chances of physical harm to pedestrians and to motorists, and makes and creates better community amenity. I've always been off the view that this will not be popular because people drive on those roads for reasons. They're not rat running on them. They're getting from A to B. If you want to get into the city, often you drive through a suburb. You don't always drive on the freeway. If you go to the carron Up shops, you drive through Carnup because you can't drive through the golf course or through Lake Gwellup one double three two. Aileen who is the voice of reason, The voice of reason thanks John, Thanks James, Good morning, Simon. Yes, it's too slow. Forty k's it's bad driving. That's the real problem with this kind of reason. We back to Shanks pun and soon thank you. Roger says, too slow one idiot and council wants to be more stupid than the other. I don't know what that means, Roger, and I don't know if that's a thing. Thanks mate. Mike says, yes, it's too slow. John says, yes, it's too slow. Roberts says, forty k's an hour is insane. One double three a two is forty k is now too slow. This has taken off very one side of the yester thirty four's and the nose are one. Have you seen have you seen violent violent behavior towards retail workers in the shops. Police have charged a person or have charged pete people at a rate of one per day with assaulting retail workers. So these are new laws. They're introduced last year. One a day, one shop person per day. Retail worker is being assaulted per day, and I would imagine that's just the ones that are being charged that we know about what is going on here. Ben Harris is the secretary at the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association the Union today.
Speaker 5: Ben Hi Simon, thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, ways, that's a lot, isn't it one a date?
Speaker 5: Yeah, look it is, And I suppose it coincides. I suppose with the research we've done over a number of years about this rise of customer aggression and violence, and we saw a really big uptick in COVID and we're one in twelve workers was being assaulted, reporter being assaulted in the last year, and then we went to twenty twenty three we saw it lift again. It was one in eight people. So that I think this data definitely vindicates and supports our campaign to get this legislation, that it was needed because the young people, people's parents are trying to a crust working in a retail environment, copying it from customers, and it's turning to violence, and it has a really devastating impact on AD members. Long after the sort of bruises are healed, they bear the scars, emotional scars, the psychological scars of having been unsafe in their workplace, assaulted by a stranger.
Speaker 1: So Ben, if they're being charged with assault by police, these are serious assaults here, I'd imagine.
Speaker 5: So, look, we have a lot of data because obviously it takes a while for these process to go through after someone's being charged. We are looking very closely and looking to see, you know, I think the legisla has done their job in bringing about this change, the police obviously doing their job in using these new laws. I suppose over to the judiciary and the legal process to see how seriously to take these assaults and what they're doing in terms of handing out these new increased pounties.
Speaker 1: Ben, is it a case of people getting aggressives because they've been caught shoplifting?
Speaker 5: Look that maybe sometimes. I saw some comments from Chris vauder Wilt about saying that one in ten of their thefts involves are involved in assault. But for many of our members, it's not necessarily just desolated. It's someone losing their call with someone being aggressive, and it can be late at night, or they can be intoxicated. The whole bunch of reasons why some of these things happen. It isn't just a question of theft. And obviously there's things that the employers can do to protect their stock and make sure their stuff is less cable being stolen. We're really focused on is when someone turns up for work, puts in the uniform, walks in the story to serve the community that they are safe. And it shouldn't be forgotten that these were essential workers that during COVID they were essential and they kept to one functioning and what they've got for it. It's a rise in customer of violence and abuse which has continued on and it has a devastating impact on our members.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. All three of my kids have worked at Wally's been and pulled the green the green on and they said it was pretty heavy during COVID. And you know, some of the shops have policies where if you bring back an item without a receipt, the next day you get cash for it. And my kids reckon that means that people are pinching stuff and just coming back the next day to get the money.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and at the risk point for and that's the risk point for young workers. What your kids where if they're in a position where they're saying, oh, we can't take that back, and then that causes anger and people turn to go from zero one hundred quite quickly without member. It's not everyone, but there's a small group of our community who think they can behave like an absolute grub when they're in the shopping center, and we're taking steps to rub it out, and there's more to come. But we're definitely pleased to say that these laws are being used. Obviously it's going to rather sad. Context don't mean that someone's on the other end of this, but it's good to see that there's been utilization and we want to see the full force of the law fall on these papers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so you're thanks, Ben, Thanks for talking to us. And I just find extraordinary that people that play up in a shop. What's that? I understand you're in lawn system at a national union get together, Ben, So we appreciate your time today.
Speaker 5: No, thanks very much for if you're interested.
Speaker 1: How's that shopping at shopping is like a happy thing, isn't it? Go shopping because you need stuff, and you go shopping because you want stuff? What's what's with assault? JPI file? It'd started fight or into you know Zara, you know, buying some clothes and you start a fight with the staff. What's that one? A day Tony? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 10: As Simon the I used to work at Forestville Woolworths, and I've been assaulted by some young youths. I noticed them come in and sort of watch what they were doing. They went straight for the meat. This is back in the COVID times, straight for the meat section and down a bunch of meat down their pants. So I confronted them and said, look, you need to give me the meat and get out of here. And I started to get verbally abused, and they started walking to the front of the shop where I just followed them, grabbed a bottle off of the shelves, smashed it on the ground, and went everywhere.
Speaker 11: And then one of them.
Speaker 10: Grabbed a lighter and threw it in my face and hit me right on the lip, luckily rather than the eye.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 10: And yeah, I reported the police and they got charged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, good on you. Hey, I'm tony that that's what my kids say. They go for meat, the Scotch Philett's and the sixty eighty dollars roasts. That's what they go for, don't they, Because they're reasonably small and they can they can semi conceal them and can bring them back the next day for the dough.
Speaker 10: Yeah that too, And I've heard of stories that they taken to the local dealer and give them to them for drugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I don't know. I haven't heard that. I can't confirm that. Tony. Thank you for calling in. Appreciate it, no worries. Good on you, mate. Tony's in the running for call of the day. One retail worker a day being assaulted and the person doing the assaulting it's not the one person. Obviously he's getting charged. Jees, that's a lot, isn't it. That just beggars belief. That's complete lack of respect for authority, our institutions, other people. You know, shops I have seen in bottle shops. I've seen people shop lifting bottle shops. I think I've spoken about it on the station. And bottle shops and a lot of bottle shops are part of the big, big supermarket chain. So their policy is just let it go. We don't want our staff being harmed, to just let them go, let them do it. But assaulting people, that's yes, No, he's forty k is now too slow. The city is still and considering laying the speed limit in a trial around carrying up golf course Lake well up, so you know the roads Huntress we will drive on. Then we'll drive to get between Reid Highway, Carronutt Road and Scarborough Beach Road. And they're looking at lowing the speed limits to forty Huntress, Milverton, Clement, Pasco, all those roads through there that like me, you drive it and you get from A to B. It's forty k is now too slowly? Yes? Are forty three? Then knows are two?
Speaker 3: Back?
Speaker 1: In a moment, we're dealing with a truck rollover.
Speaker 12: Great Eastern Highway is closed. As a result, in both directions from to Coning Road through to Old Northern Road, you will need to seek an ulternate route. A breakdown an atwell Quanan and northbound Billy A drive left emergency lane is occupied and the fog is still around this morning.
Speaker 1: Turn those headlights on and drive safely. I'm Rob Beaver on Perth Traffic Leader six PR Australian First a trial in Perth starting in Perth where ecstasy MDMA will be used to treat patients who are suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. We'll talk about that on the show. In just a moment, is forty k is now too slow? Yes? Is a fifty seven and the nose of four. It's taken off this one. Paul says, I'm a yes, and I'm predicting your survey will one hundred and twenty one Yes. It's the three no's. That's the new game to play at home, Paul, I reckon. The council will say they're inundated with calls for a forty zone. That'll be tish. It's not decided yet, Paul, but I appreciate your thoughts. There are no crashes on these roads. Their saints often the Inner City the five Inner City Council has often use the argument it reduces the chance of crashes in serious harm. But a lot of these roads is not crashes on them. John says, people will become frustrated and disobey the forty ks. Now this one here, anything faster than an old person's walk pace should be considered rectly and police should be called special fast walking squads need forming. That's a bit funny, this one here from Tony. I've been working in grocery retail industry for the last twenty five years. I will tell you that ninety percent of assaults within the shop happens because the worker confronts them. I always tell my workers let them go, it's not worth it. They are, they're on the camera. The owner of the shop wants to press charges. Let him do it, thanks, Tony. I guess the other the broader point Tony is then it's just getting worse. Why would you physically assault a retail worker, a young shop worker in a surf shop or in a supermarket? Well, why would you do that? One double three eight eighty two one of our listeners who's asked to remain anonymous, is the abuse. The abuse at a Telstra shop is crazy, but it's almost warranted as Telstra as a joke. Abuse is not acceptable. Yeah, that's true. I mean Telstra workers a humans too, right. One double three eighty two is the phone number. There's a A trial is going to start in Perth. It's an Australian first. It's a Perth first, a listed biotech company and I hope I pronounced this right e. Myria, through Medibank is working with other providers to do trials with patients who've got post traumatic stress ssorder and use MDMA or ecstasy. Professor Paul Fitzgerald is from the A and U, the head of School of Medicine and Psychology and they will be monitoring the trial and keeping an eye on the trial while it starts and goes on. Get a Paul, good to talk to you?
Speaker 13: Good to talk to you too.
Speaker 1: It is an Australian first, How will you what are they look at these trials and what are the KPIs for you?
Speaker 13: So really the aim of this is to get a comprehensive understanding of the outcomes of the use of this therapy when it's been provided in clinical practice sort of around the country. Obviously, as you alluded to beginning in Perth, we want to get both an understanding of how effective the treatment is over a sustained period of time, but also a understanding of the sort of hosts associated with treatment and whether or not treatment ultimately proves to be cost effective by reducing things like the amount of time that people who have the treatment need to be in hospital and how much they have to engage in other treatments in the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, fundamentally medically, Paul, what would using MDMA do to someone who has got anxiety through PTSD? What would happen cognitively biomedically.
Speaker 13: So there are a couple of theories about how the treatment potentially works, but generally speaking, the process involves a person going through a series of preparation sessions where they get to appreciate what's going to happen. Then they'll have usually between one and three dosing sessions, so they'll they'll be administered a dose of the medication with very significant psychological support. So they're usually in a room for the best part of a day with two therapy, and then a series of sessions afterwards where what they've learned and what they've experienced during those dosing sessions is integrated and hopefully it leads to sort of therapeutic benefit then, and the expectation is that the effect of the medication opens the person to be able to understand and appreciate the experience of trauma in the past in different ways and alters their capacity to cope and address those challenging experiences. Ultimately with therapeutic benefit.
Speaker 1: Is the ecstasy dose quite high.
Speaker 13: It's a moderate dose. Patients typically in these sessions will have a relatively standard moderate dose, and then if after an hour or so there hasn't been a meaningful change in the way they're perceiving the world, they can sort of have a supplementary dose to to to increase the effect. The intention is that ecstasy does produce some sort of dissociation between someone's cognitive experience and their emotional reactions. Somebody who's got PTSD will tend to have this almost hardwired relationship between their memories and their emotional response, such as as soon as anything triggers a memory of what's happening in the past, they have this overwhelming emotional response which makes it very difficult to therapeutically work through those experiences. Whereas the ecstasy disconnects that at least temporarily and allows the person to discuss and explore what their traumatic experiences have been in a very different way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very interesting, isn't it. Do you get a sense that these type of trials or this type of treatment is in existence without us necessarily knowing about it.
Speaker 13: Look, it's still something very new. There have been trials conducted evaluating the use of MDMA in PTSD around the world over the last sort of five five or seven or eight years or so. It's now been approved to be provided in a very highly regulated way through the Therapy Goods Administration in Australia. But that is still in a quite very tightly controlled environment because there still are some questions around the data that's available that supports the efficacy of their treatment. To cut a long story short, it's just very, very difficult to do a placebo controlled trial of these therapies because when you receive the medication, you have a pretty good idea whether you're receiving it or not. And so what we really aim to do in Australia is to say, well, if there are some challenges with understanding that data, let's also get a sense of what happens in the real world, because that's additional, very important information that should inform whether these it's become more widely available in the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how long will the trial be on for Paul.
Speaker 13: Look, well, it will partly depend on how rapidly participants are engaged in the treatment. I expect it will take a couple of years, but we would hope to work with Medibank once you know the current protocol the current trial is completed to extend that. They certainly believe it's in the interests of their members to be able to access this treatment, and we certainly think there's very important research data that can be gathered.
Speaker 14: Along the way.
Speaker 13: So I think we'll be going for a couple of years, but certainly would hope to go beyond that and continue to work on this particular challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, great to talk to you, Paul. We'll watch it with great interest. Thanks for your time today.
Speaker 13: You're most welcome. Have a great morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah you too. Professor Porul Fitzgerald from the a and U austral Australian National University, Head of the School of Medicine and Psychology, Tom Raby, had this story yesterday in the Australian fin Review. Good on your Tom, Good to see you at the league last night. Tommy, me boy, what do you reckon? And look I'm getting a bit of correspondence from someone else is why does Australia have to have a trial but it's been used around the world. Why are we so different? I think I think this is in existence already, Rob. I think this is anecdotally. I've heard of this before and it's been you know, and it's been used with some success on people who have PTSD. I think it has been used before. One, double three two. Let's run this one by you as well. You know that you know there's been this staus between US Channel nine and seven West, over the over the broadcasting, the publication, the publicity around State of Origin and around rugby league in general. You may remember that the paper, our paper, our daily paper, not the owners or the editors, Our daily paper covered the story that they were the bad news Bears, and they went after Roger Cook for about two weeks solid about the rugby League coming to Perth. So, given all that and they have covered that, they have despite you know, Tuesday Wednesday, doing stuff, all publicity for it. The State of Origin was packed last night, fifty seven thousand people, brave the rain, great spectacle. If you went, let me know if you're a neutral, if you're not, you know, ordinarily rugby league fan, did you enjoy it last night? If you're a footy fan, different, isn't It's a different experience. They are a different crowd. All boy leagues very very different. There are no breathalyzers going into the stadium last night, far out. But I wanted to ask you this, give it all that, given you know seven verses nine, all of that, I wanted to ask you this, which reporter do you think from seven West Media went to the game last night. Which reporter went to the game last night and went to the some of the corporate boxes and enjoyed himself or herself?
Speaker 15: Who do you?
Speaker 1: I went from seven West? Who do you reckon? Went along?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: Double three? Two? Yes or no? He's forty Kloe is now too slow. I'd love to talk to We are going to talk to Mike McKenna about last night, about up the stadium last night. He's forty k is now too slow? That yes is sixty seven? The nose are four? Did you go to the rugby league last night? Hello Jaden, Good.
Speaker 16: Morning mister Beaumont. Cracker show as always, mate. Hey, I just want to say thanks to six PR. I won some tickets from mister Oli yesterday. But that's not why I called your Your comment really sticks to me, mate. The biggest newspaper they called themselves mate, They actually are shooting themselves in the foot for not, you know, putting up anything for a spectacle. And if they say rugby league is dead here in perthday you asked every single person that fifty seven thousand people so passionate loved that game. It was a spectacle and I even got to meet Petro sim and.
Speaker 5: A severa How good was that You've had a big day?
Speaker 17: Oh mate?
Speaker 5: Listen no, no, no, no, no, listen bowie bowie.
Speaker 16: Honestly, mate, it's actually mate, and they're shooting themselves in the foot. And if they think by not printing it in the paper that rugby league is dead hair mate, you watch when those bears come here, buddy and Melvin Ingraw as the coach, this footy town has got something coming from the mate.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, thanks Jane, and I'm glad you had a good day yesterday. And I did hear you Holly show you today? World done, mate, very very big effort by you. One double three eight eighty two. Janice today who said who was the seven West journal who went last night?
Speaker 7: I think Arian Barrich may have been the one.
Speaker 1: I didn't see him. He probably did go because he used to play for the Reds, didn't he Bearrow? I didn't see him that he probably wasn't nice saw a different one, Janis I saw it.
Speaker 7: I No, I'm not a one of that.
Speaker 1: That's all right. Yeah, A very good guess. And I know why you said that. Barrot did play for the Reds as well as playing AFL ball Security Asian hang on to the ball one double, three eight eight two. It's a quarter to ten bit of fun with this. It was great night last night. Wasn't it so much fun? It's a completely different experience to go on the footy. It's quite an easy game to understand. Every five tackles the ball gets handed to the other team. The good athletes, they're tough and it's well refereed. One referee. You know all the dramas we have with the four umpires in the AFL. One referee makes a decision, goes to the bunker. It's an easy game to watch and understand and has one referee. Text from Chris Simon opter stadium needs a retractable roof a sap, thanks Chris. It's quarters to ten now. Chris is suffering a bit of a backlash on the retractable roof. Maryland says retractable roof why because it rains sook Perth has more clear days than the other. They come on, Maryland, don't be mean, no meanness on this show. Dean says they can't grow grass at the stadium without a roof. They'd have to use AstroTurf if they put a roof on it, it says Dean, Thank you Dean. I know there were stadiums in the cold parts of New Zealand and in the cold parts of the US where the grass is on trays and they roll it out of the stadium and have it out in the sun during games. Mike McKenna is the CEO oft of the stadium and joins me. Now, gooday, Mike Simon, good fun last night.
Speaker 18: It was a big night here. I think everyone who was there had a great time.
Speaker 1: Did they behave themselves? They're a boisterous, rambunctious lot the leagues, aren't they.
Speaker 18: Yeah, But I think the sports are the heart of their entertainment, so yeah, they were rue, will behaved and in fact we have really will be had crowd tiers from Perth wherever it's but it's football, soccer or rugby, ruby Union and people turn up and they want to have a good time, but they also behave themselves. It's a long way home if you if you don't.
Speaker 1: Well explained, how did it look to your eye? On camera?
Speaker 2: And being there?
Speaker 1: The turf look good, stay and look good. The light shows good, weren't they.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it was a fantastic spectacle. I think, you know, the game was a terrific game, but it was the entertainment around it too that really made it. I watched the game from the stadium and I went home and watched a few of the highlights just to see how it looked on TV. And I think, you know, the stadium presented itself and Perth really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you sell some sandwiches and some bevy Smike.
Speaker 18: Fair to say that it was our second biggest ever revenue take after the AFL Grand.
Speaker 1: Final, second biggest after the AFL Grand Final, yep.
Speaker 18: And it was a very early arriving crowd at the Grand Final and a big one. This crowd arrived fairly late for Thursday night and still had a good time, still put plenty of money into the coppers of the venue, and everyone be able to say behave themselves and they were look forward to doing that again. I think the next time we approached that sort of number will be first out of the Ashes tests and later.
Speaker 19: On this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how good is that? Mike. I don't know whether it's a combination of the rain or you know the fact that it was a Wednesday, and we'll get it Trump people trying to get after work where they were, it was pretty hectic on the roads around the joint. Is there any thought to potentially opening up the peninsula two uber drivers?
Speaker 18: I think there's something that I've heard that the administer the sport is talking about with some of the redevelopment work that's going to go on there between and twenty twenty seven. It is difficult to understand how that can work, and they're sitting at the moment. It's very difficult. I mean, the whole stadium is designed around public transport and particularly the access of buses, and given that ubers look like anybody else's car, I mean you're very hard to identify them. If you'den up to ubers, you have up to every one dropping off, and that's so that could cuite chaos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very interesting. I'm sure you're aware of this. There there is a sort of an unofficial drop off out on Big Park Drive and on Camfield Drive people do do that drop loved ones off. Uber drivers hook through there as well. You would be aware of as an unofficial one, would you.
Speaker 18: Yeah, look, you've seen any of that, and I think as those of you come down Victoria Park Drive off Grand Farm I've have noticed the addition of a whole of the crack control barriers down the median strip, and that's designed to discourage people from from doing the dangerous thing, which is getting out of the car and running three or four people across the road and informing fences you know where sometimes there's a decent slope or you've got people probably not even aware there's some swales there that catch all the stormwater. So yeah, you're up to your neck and water.
Speaker 8: So good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not Try telling that to a Rugby League fan who's been at the pub all afternoon. Mike, it was well done to you and your staff. It was excellent. Last night's second biggest revenue take for food and beverage.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think you know it's not something that you know, we sort of publicized, but it certainly from the fan perspective, means that they got served quickly, they got the opportunity to get in, get something, to get back to their seat, and if they wanted to go again, there was kind of staff there to help them. I think the the staff at the stadium and working very.
Speaker 5: Hard this month.
Speaker 18: We've got eight major events in the month, the.
Speaker 8: Back to back.
Speaker 18: We've got the bottles and freer tonight. Next week we've got to rope the union. That's with the Lions enforcement first end of their tour, and then another day I feel game twenty four hours later. So it's a particularly busy time. But the staffs do an amazing job of making sure that everyone gets to their seat, they get served, they get home safely.
Speaker 1: We've got enough staff. Mike here, I remember a couple of years ago talking to you and you were with the back to back to back. Sometimes it gets a little strained for you got enough people.
Speaker 18: We do now, I think COVID times particularly we're difficult for us.
Speaker 5: We do rely on all of the local people, but there's.
Speaker 18: Also top ups from international students and backpackers which make the real difference. And then they came back, not only as for the entire hospitality industry in Wa breather aside relief that a great workforce. Yeah, so in our time we've actually trained about fifteen thousand people who've come through our system and then trained in hospitality with the stadium and then gone on to do other things.
Speaker 1: So it's good.
Speaker 18: It's a great place to come and get a job.
Speaker 1: Just another one of those economic multipliers, isn't it.
Speaker 18: Indeed, Yeah, the stadiums, you know, I think the statum economy is as terrific for the stage, and I think last night's as a truism at and I had donated the numbers, but I've been hearing sort of ten thousand people from into state are overseas. That just puts a lot of money for sixteen to twenty twenty million dollars into local economy, just more direct expenditure. So big event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine it's the paper covered at Mike.
Speaker 18: Well, it's interesting the observation here. There's other papers that did so.
Speaker 1: I think that's true.
Speaker 18: I think they're vergud league in w A. I think it's shown that it's a popular sport. It's part of our part of the love of sport and events that we have in w A and people many people are not just AFL fans or just soccer fans. They prepare to embrace anything. It's a big event in Perth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for channing us to us today, World under you and your staff.
Speaker 18: Thanks, I'm pleasure talking to you.
Speaker 1: Mike McKenna, good A, Jeff, Oh morning, Simon, how are you mate? Good did you enjoy last night, man?
Speaker 20: I loved it.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I'm a neutral, so I'll be going to the next one. I don't really enjoyed it, but I was an edge of seek with the comeback and those boys. It's tough, mate. Those blokes are no real rules like our high tackles tackle them low. It's the rule is run down the line and crunch the guy to stop him anyway you can, you know.
Speaker 1: And they're different from soccer fans, rugby union fans and AFL fans. Aren't they leagues?
Speaker 21: Oh they certainly are, mate, Yeah, pretty boisterous all but I'm enjoying that as well.
Speaker 20: Mates.
Speaker 21: And what I didn't understand is though the one that bounced off the Maroon's guy right at the end there and that sort of hit him in the hit and I think it went forward it was given away. Yeah, but the rules are pretty easy to understand. And certainly going to the next game, mate. I really enjoyed watching it and it was just fantastic.
Speaker 1: Thanks Jeff, thanks for calling in good man. Appreciate it. So they go to the people from the paper who think it's not a big deal. Second biggest food and beverage revenue intake apart from the AFL Grand Final, second biggest ever. Have a little thing about that. It's good business. Get on board, it's good business. Four minutes to ten, Thanks very much for listening in today, Rick says, wait for the state government to claim the Burstard Racetrack can become the rideshare drop off zone. Hey, Rick, that's outstanding from you. Well done. Was their full strength alcohol serve? Graham says Graham, I think so, mate, Yeah, I think so certainly in the weeks it was one double three eighty two is the phone number. It wasn't Adrian Barracks that I saw at the rugby last night, but it is someone who works for seven West Media. Simon. It's only a two hour game. One double three eight eighty two. Thank you. How can you get excited about a game where you run for drop the ball, throw the ball backward, run into someone holding the ball, drop to the ground, do the dan at, get up and roll it back with still a lower again. Yeah, there's because it's easy to understand, Rob. That's why mate, seeing our game lately, Rob, they have how hard this is to officiate and understand? Law talk straight after ten o'clock at a New Time Leo Sayer after ten thirty today, How good? Yeah, what a song. Nick Maruchak's trying to join us a little earlier today. We're just moving a few things around because we've got to Leo Sayer on the programming just a moment. The Englishman turned Australian. He's touring Australia soon and we're going to talk to Leo in just a second. Quick couple of semsas before we get to Nick. Kevin Wembley Ga keV in reference to a recent call of the decision to call a notck forward after Ponger who dropped the ball backwards later in the game was a howler And I'm a Queensland who knows the rules. Yeah, Kevin. It was the other side of the ground from where I was, but it didn't look great. So it's a bit of a lottery that one made, isn't it. The knock on can go backwards sometimes and either way, mate, I reckon the refereeing is really good. Just trying to guess who was the Seven West journo who went who was schmoozing in the corporate boxes last night, Brendan, No, it wasn't that bloke. It wasn't that bloke who's been writing stories about us. It wasn't him. This one here from one of our listeners. Hate from Chris Chris Simon. I wasn't an RL fan before, like them and Rubber union Man. Watching that game last night, I converted on signing up to the Perth Bears. Thanks mate, thanks for being part of it today. One at double three at two is the phone number. It's forty k is now too slow. The yeses are seventy one. That knows of five the city you're stirling out a trial. Forty k is now on Milverton, on Clement, on Pasco and Huntress, and there's one other infinity. There are all roads that are around in between Hamersley golf Course, carrent Up golf Course. I would argue their roads that people use to get through to the shops, their roads, their thoroughfares, they're not rat runs. Thanks for listening. In breaking story from Reuter's, thanks to my team from Washington, US President Donald Trump has told Senior AIDS late Tuesday that he had approved attack plans that Iran, but as has withheld a final ord to see if tay Ram would abandon its nuclear program. The Wall Street Journal report of this on Wednesday, US Time, citing three people familiar with the deliberations. Huge if true. Nine minutes past ten, Nick Maruschak joins us from MKA Legal. Gaday, Nick, how are you good?
Speaker 18: Bowie?
Speaker 1: Great? Yeah, good to see you. Is it okay? Is it legal to get out of an uber in the middle of the road when it stops outside of say a stadium.
Speaker 22: Well, I think that would infringe the road traffic regulations, which basically makes it illegal to hinder traffic, And so I think that one if there's an obstruction, that potentially might be an infringement there.
Speaker 1: All right, okay if enforced, if enforced by the local male and female coppers who are there in great number. It's very much an interpreted thing, isn't. Ten minutes past ten, If you'd like to ring Nick today, you can one double three a D two. It's a talk back show, talkback station, so we'd love to hear from you. Give Nick a call soon and a text from one of our listeners, Nick, please call me today, asked me to come in for an interviewers have a few questions for me. Arrange a day in the time, and they said if they didn't, if I didn't come in, they come to my workplace, So a little bit of a passive aggressive threat there or was informed. Interview will be recorded, after which they'll decide on further action. My question is what am I rights? Can I decline the recording? Can I decline the interview?
Speaker 22: Yeah, so if it sounds like this person may potentially be investigated and charges might be he might be a potential accused person. So you have the right to silence, you don't have to If you don't have to attend an interview, you can decline. You don't have to assist the police in any way to build their case against you. So that and often I'm not a criminal lawyer, but often one of the things we were taught very early on is the purpose of a police interview is only for their It's only for their benefit. It's rare that it will be for your benefit. They're just because that they record it. You say something, and then later in court they'll use it against you.
Speaker 1: So that one is a no.
Speaker 22: If if you are a witness.
Speaker 1: Though, so sorry a no. If you can decline, you can.
Speaker 22: Decline if they're investstigating you. Right, if you're the subject of the investigation. There are certain things you have to give police, like your name and address and stuff like that. You have to give the basic information. But you don't do that so he can decline there if he's a witness, right, So if the charges are not against him and he's a witness, then look, you just have to make sure you don't hinder any police investigation. Right, there's something called obstruction of justice, so don't do that. But the witness thing is witness is generally understanding is it's voluntary.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 22: The only time you can compel a witness is you know, if police want to compel you, they can. What they'll do is an issue with summons, right, the court summons a subpoena, then you'll attend. So that is something. But you know, I would just have a quick chat with a criminal lawyer about that as well, because you want to and it's good that he did. Did this text anonymously because when it comes to criminal law, you don't want to say too much over the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no too right, Thanks for your correspondence. If you like to ring Nick maroucheck you can one double three A toty two is the phone number. Have a chat to Nick on the phone. Then Nick can ask you for the questions. You can interrogate and he can interrogate you, and vice versa. One double three eight eighty two is the phone number? Is Sean there? Just not just yet, so Sean's about to join us here on the show. One double three eight eighty two is the phone numbering texting in zero four eight seven triple nine A eighty two. It's a twelve twelve and a half minutes past ten o'clock. Nick Murucheck from MKI Legal has has called through. No not yet, so just want to get Sewan on. So we just I guess we're check tecking, checking some technicalities and legalities.
Speaker 13: Here.
Speaker 1: Will take a break. Nick will come back in just a moment thirteen minutes past ten, back with more of Nick Maruruchack. After these sixteen past ten, Nick muruchaks with us from mk I legally, if you like to give mcare, you can get a Sean Hey.
Speaker 11: There, Nick k Simon, I'll look a random one I have. I've just moved properties and I'm getting solar panels put on the house, and I thought i'd take advantage of the government subsidy as well, so I approached a company and they sent me a quotation and they preempted what the government had initially promised, apparently. But they sent me the quotation, there was a section to click to proceed if you're happy with the quotation, which I did. They came and they've done the first part of the install waiting till the first of July, when the batteries I think are being released. But then yesterday they sent me a message saying, actually the quote we sent you isn't valid now because the government have changed the goalposts and you need to pay three thousand, seven hundred dollars extra from what we've quoted you. They said, oh, you can just leave the battery and not get it, you know, and just pay for it. But they actually have sent me the initial quote was preempting the government first subsidy, and I think when the goalpost changed the other day. Yeah, so they're sort of backtracking now, and they said, eh, so I don't know what to do. They got caused to get out of it, and they said you have as well, but yeah.
Speaker 22: Sorry, could you sean?
Speaker 23: Did have they started the work yet?
Speaker 11: They've started already and they've they've put the first part of the So they haven't connected yet. So the panels are actually up and they're asking to come back on Friday to complete that part. And when that's done, they were going to come back and maybe in another three or four weeks time after the first of July and install the battery.
Speaker 22: And the battery is the one that's the issue here, right, Is that that that's what's caused the pricing coer Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, the yeah they'd quoted with the first quote though did come with the power, the solar power panels and the battery. And then they've come back and said, oh, look, we've we have to amend that quotation. Even though they've come, they've started the work and they're they're coming back tomorrow ironically to finish off. I've not paid one penny yet, so but I've got all these panels on my roof, not connected, waiting for the battery.
Speaker 22: Okay, so this is this thing, right, so we have a look at the terms of the contract and see if there's any room in the contract for them to charge you more. Right, see if the contract is subject this government rebate, yes, and see if they allow you to do that. Right, if they do allow you to do that. If that's in the contract, then that may they may be able to rely on that. But there's something called yes, unfair contract terms. Right, So if there is this variation clause, this one sided unfair price increase and it doesn't give you a right to kind of terminate, that could be seen as an unfair contract term.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 22: So here the question is do they've got this price? I say, if they have this price increase in the contract, do you want to just leave and cancel?
Speaker 11: Yep, I see they got the panels up there already, and I'm saying, oh, well, wait a minute. I did have alternative quotes and they were a little bit cheaper, and I went to you guys, just because of your reputation. But there is a temptation to go come and take them all back. By now i'd be left with holes in the roof, and you know, and then labor intensive. I've not paid anything yet because they've been trying to do it and then the rain has stopped them many times. But and then this has happened in the meantime.
Speaker 1: So yes, I do.
Speaker 11: I'm being a bit fitter because I do want the battery and I do want the panels and I was happy with the first quotation, and to be honest, I'm sort of happy with the next. But I just just think for them now to go. Actually it is going to be three thousand, one hundred extra.
Speaker 1: Don't want to pay that bit.
Speaker 22: I can give you a quick call or my team and give you a quick call Sean, and just give you a bit of tips. But I think you can negotiate this right, and I think this is something that they probably will should be resolved given that, given what's happened. So you know, it's either you push push forward and say take it all back, I want to cancel the contract, or you accept the panels without the battery. But I'll give you some further tips on I reckon start the negotiation process and use the Australian consumer law.
Speaker 1: We'll take it offline, Sewan. Thanks Nick, that's a nice offer. Didn't know you had a team. You and your team amazing your team.
Speaker 22: And ten lawyers. Yeah, sometimes I get people to help me out, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. Thanks Sean. Good call. Very interesting. I wonder if anybody else has been caught up in that. Yeah, and I'm not sure what part of the rebate rules have changed there because that sounds that sounds a bit unpleasant. Call I Frederick.
Speaker 8: Yeah, good morning, Nick, and good morning Simon. My question relates to a deceased the state and it's in the context is that there's say four commercial properties which have been specifically gifted to beneficiaries. However, one of the beneficiaries is a foreign resident. What question is, because it's specifically gifted in the will to a foreign beneficiary, can the executor be left to sell the property instead and give the proceeds to the foreign resident without all the other beteficiheries agreeing to it to change yep.
Speaker 22: So, first of all, these usually terms in the will that says the executor has these powers to sometimes sell property and give the beneficiary the proceeds of the sale. So you just have to have a look if that term exists. If there isn't a term, there is this special provision in the Trustees Act, right, if you have a look at Section WA Trustees Acts, Section thirty K that lets a personal representative basically sell an asset and give the beneficiary their share.
Speaker 24: Right.
Speaker 22: So, well, normally what that process involves, say, if the beneficiary doesn't agree to this, that section of the Trustees Act basically would require the executor to write to them to say this is what we want to do. And then if the beneficiary says no, I don't want the sale proceeds, I want the actual property, they can go to the Supreme Court to get a court order. So there is an avenue for that if there isn't specific powers in the will. And I know it sounds like Frederick, you've also emailed me. I think last week I did get an email about this, so I have I had a quick look at the matter. The other thing you have to really be aware of is a Foreign Investment Review Board that actually prevents foreign people from getting property without permission.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 22: So in the past, if a property was gifted to a foreign residence under a will, it actually was exempt. But in the last couple of years they've tightened that loophole, so there's no longer that loophole where you don't have to get approval. So if the foreign resident is going to get the actual property under the will, then you might have to go get approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board. The only time you won't need approval is if it transfers outside of a will, like which is under the laws of intestacy right the automatic transition. So there's a few things going on there. But the answer to your question is generally the executive does have the power to do it, and especially if there are foreign residents there, and if the beneficiary disagrees, then yeah, the Supreme Court make a decision.
Speaker 8: Does that Okay? The information I've read in online is that it doesn't require the executor can still give the property and the approval only lease. It can be done within thirty days. I've been transferring, but.
Speaker 22: I would recommend contact the Foreign Investment Review Board to make sure that they don't need approval, because if you get that wrong, there could be a fine there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, thanks Frederick. I hope that helps, mate, and I know you have been emailing NIXA. Will keep us across that one if you will.
Speaker 8: Gooday, Ron, Oh, good morning, So I'm good morning Nick you mate.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 13: A few weeks ago I witness to solve a prod.
Speaker 1: Of my place to Ron. Just move around a bit, mate, your phone's dropping in and out.
Speaker 13: Oh sorry, is it better?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Thank you?
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yet a few weeks I witnessed an assault at the front of my.
Speaker 25: Place to my partner's daughter's fiance, the guy who committed the assault was charged with common assault and impeding breath and it went to court in Armadale. He sought some time off for to seek legal advice and he got that and it went back to court a couple of days ago. We ran to find out what the you know, what the outcome of that was, whether he's going to go further with it to trial or anything like that, and the court said, oh, we can't tell you anything, and I'd like to know what the situation is. We need to know what our next move is going to be.
Speaker 22: You're a witness right in this yes, yep, so as a police prosecutor. Been speaking to you because you should liaise with the.
Speaker 25: Not at this stage. We said, I if it goes to trial, I would be I'd probably be called to you to go to trial with them because I made a witness statement. But apart from that, we haven't heard anything. When we first when we rang the first time he went, when it was adjourn they just said straight out, yep, it's been adjourn to during the day. But when we rang yesterday to find out what was happening. Further from that, they just suddenly said we can't tell you.
Speaker 8: We don't a watch.
Speaker 22: Go well, yeah, because they do publish like every day, the court publishes a list of all the cases there. So the police prosecutor is going to run the case. It's very normal for people to get ajourn a Germans forget legal advice. It can happen two, three or four times. This person's going to make a decision whether they're going to plead guilty or fight it. Then if he pleads not guilty and he's going to fight it, then it's going to be programmed to a trial. And that's when the police prosecutor will reach out to you and go, okay, these are the trial dates and we need you to come in. So what I suggest is just contact the prosecutor first and then otherwise just keep an eye on the court list. It's published online, so that's what you do. And the prosecutor is in charge of running this, so they're the ones that should be communicating with you. And if it's defended and goes to trial, all right.
Speaker 26: Well thanks very much.
Speaker 25: It's just we we're told whether we'd be going to trial or what would happen yesterday. That's well, and they just don't want to tell us anymore.
Speaker 22: Yeah, because these it's basically that they just got to the accused has got to make a decision on whether they're going to plead guilty, and if they plead guilty, they're not going to need you, right, It's only if they plead not guilty and fighter, and that's when it's a prosecutor's job to contact you and go because they have to prove the case. So if you're an important witness and they need you there, then they will get you on the stand. But if they can prove the case without you, then maybe they won't even contact you. And then it's just a matter of you doing the work to look at the list to find out when it is.
Speaker 1: Thanks Ron, good luck mate. I hope you get to find out and here where that's all heading you they Kevin, good good morning.
Speaker 3: Two quick questions.
Speaker 27: One, if one person declares bankruptcy, is their spouse or if they're married or to facto, is the spouse included in that bankruptcy? And secondly, is it a commercial lawyer that would help giving advice with the purchasing of a business that's been that's a subject to a bankruptcy?
Speaker 22: Yeah, so the spouse is not automatically included that you know, the spouse is a different person.
Speaker 1: So so no.
Speaker 22: What can sometimes happen though, is it does get a little bit more complicated if you own a house with a bankrupt person, because you know that half share of the house would potentially fall into the bankrupt person's estate. So that so so, but the other half of the house is the non bankrupt spouse's ownership. In terms of the lawyer, I would say bankruptcy lawyer. They're the ones that can really give you someone who's got a lot of experience in the bankruptcy area. I know anyone on the top of my head, but that's that's how you would help get help from there. Because you want to make sure that if you're purchasing new property with a bankrupt spouse, you probably want to purchase the property in the name of the non bankrupt spouse because it could be you're going to be bankrupt three years and that's an asset that's claimable in the future, so I should want to be careful of that.
Speaker 8: It's more of a case that it's for my brother.
Speaker 27: He's been approached by the person that's declared bankruptcy, and they're trying to get it so that his wife is still a director, but wants my brother to pay the administrator to buy the business. And I'm telling my brother, no, if you're buying it from the administrator as thing, you're taking one hundred percent and the last he wants to have any association with the person that made a bankrupt in the first place. No, I'm just I was just trying to work out whether they can even get on as directed, whether she even have the funds to even contribute to the the thing. But if it's if it is split between the two, then but he can talk to a bankruptcy lawyer about purchasing it. He's not bankrupt, my brother, but he's looking to buy it, Okay, just trying to give an advice to go to.
Speaker 22: Okay, cool commercial lawyer. Then commercial lawyer's got experience in insolvency. So what happens here is that someone's obviously the business has gone under, and then an administrator's gone in and they when someone when a business goes under, there's a whole process that liquidators administrators go through to recover the assets for the creditors. And one of the things they can do is sell the sell, sell the business, and that's usually involves negotiating something called a deed of company arrangement. So go to a commercial lay. It's got experience. We're dealing with insolvency. That's what i'd recommend if you're buying, if you're buying from a bankrupt or an insolvent.
Speaker 1: Thanks keV. Good, thanks for calling in today. Nick, we've run out of time. Thank you so much for today. Thanks for moving your day around to accommodate our Leo Sayer interview. We really appreciate it, and you and I catch up. We'll talk about those new privacy laws next week. He sounds good. Thank you mate. Nick Maruchik. Nick Maruchik from m I Legal. We'll come back in at just a moment. Leo Say is going to join us. He's on tour the Englishman who turned Australian became an Australian citizen a number of years ago, and he'll join us on the show in just a sec. He's playing in mandra at the MPAC at the m PAC and he's playing at the Astore as well. How good, Leo say. Next, we're still dealing with a truck roll over.
Speaker 12: Great Eastern Highway is closed at both directions from Deconing Road through to Old Northern Road.
Speaker 1: You will need to seek an ultimate route.
Speaker 12: A breakdown in Atwellan on northbound Billia Drive left emergency lane is occupied and an earlier crash South Perth Equan on noathbound Pride at mill Point Road has been cleared, but you can expect delays in the area.
Speaker 28: I'm Robbie Veron Perth Traffic leader six PR. Thanks for your thoughts, Thanks for your correspondence. Today we are running a poll. He's forty kilometers an hour too slow? Yes as well, and truly have this at the moment. I'll give you Italian just a moment keep it going into one o'clock today. So you're stirring five major roads in the city of Sterling local roads and they want to do forty k our trials. Our listeners reckon forty k is now is.
Speaker 1: Too slow and look, I just want to apologize to Towanda to wander, says Bowie. Mate mean it was crank out the radio at ten oh eight to hear downhearted sting. I do like your voice to wander, but mate, no need to jump in there before the chorus, This one's for.
Speaker 29: You down.
Speaker 1: Started Danks, thanks to Wander, Thanks your correspondents. Twenty six minutes to ten o'clock. He's touring Australia. He's back, this bloke.
Speaker 29: I was timmed and down the row, felling hungry and colder.
Speaker 27: All signs and food and rents.
Speaker 30: But everyone, so naturally I thought I would take me a log outside.
Speaker 1: I know which songs he's going to choose for the set list, because there's about a million of them that we love. Leo Sayer, pop legend englishman turned Australian, joins us on the show. Now, hello mate, how are you?
Speaker 3: How are you doing? Bowie? Everything good?
Speaker 1: Good? Yeah?
Speaker 29: What about you?
Speaker 31: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not bad, not bad. I'm over in New South Wales and would you believe it, just about to go over and tour.
Speaker 32: The UK before I come.
Speaker 3: So I'm doing to warm up over there, you know, before we do the important gigs.
Speaker 1: He's still got that funny excent.
Speaker 3: Mate, Hey tell you we actually do you know? But if I go to England they all say I fund Australian, So how do you win?
Speaker 1: I was singing about you, and often artists when they reach a certain vintage and with such a big back catalog, sometimes you can be made a night. You could if you hadn't gone Australian, you could be Sir Leosayer by now.
Speaker 3: Oh look, if I'd have spent my time doing charity work and all that sort of stuff, probably, you know. But look, I'm happy to be judged by my music rather than my actions.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: But it looks if you have a long career, there's always going to be moments when you have fantastics. But I mean, I met the Queen about Elizabeth so many times, and remember last time I saw it, I said, oh, nice to meet you. Your Majesty said no, you don't have to call me your majesty because we know each other. We're friends. Good isn't that nice? He was an amazing lady. So so you know, you get these incredible experiences. They come with the job and and you just absorbed them.
Speaker 22: You know.
Speaker 3: If I was to be knighted, i'd be Oh, I'd be the proudest Englishman. But I think I'm even more proud to be an Australian. So let's have an oam first.
Speaker 1: I think bugt when you when you look back at we often I'm a bit younger than you, but on account now and kid right. So we talk about the Countdown era, how influential it was, how it shaked down musical tastes, how important it was. The show itself gave you a massive platform in this country, didn't it, And that all those film clips and it was a big part of Australian history and you're a big part of Australian music history because of it.
Speaker 3: No, that's beautiful. I when I came over in nineteen seventy five on the first tour, I didn't know who Molly Meldon was.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this bloke is very unusual. Bloke stepped on the plane as we arrived in Melbourne and they sort of shimmied me off the plane, which.
Speaker 5: Was a bit peculiar.
Speaker 3: I thought, what have I done? And I got arrested and it was him. And there was a car on the tarmac and we straightened at the car and there's a camera crew, you know, on the front seat, and those days massively bulky cameras as well. So this guy's leaning over and Molly's started asking me questions. I'm thinking, okay, this is it. We were going live on the way to the studio, no way, And all I was worried about was my wife was stuck behind me somewhere, are still on the plane and I've been ferreted away. And that was my introduction to countdown straight to the studio, straight on air, and the backing track was already playing for me to go and sing. And I'm not thinking I didn't even have a chance to see Melbourne yet.
Speaker 1: Isn't it amazing? It's amazing it was.
Speaker 14: But it was like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I loved the way that they made shows because everything was they just thought of an idea, they felt it and they did it, you know. And there were plenty of shows that tried to do that again after but they never quite succeeded with that vibe, did they.
Speaker 32: And that was all about Molly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if you remember this, mate, but there was a video made by ACDC in the back of a FLATBEG truck. It's alone.
Speaker 19: Oh I love that, Love that.
Speaker 3: That's one of the great ones all time.
Speaker 1: It's fifty years old this week and they're looking to remake it. They're looking to redo it Melbourne City.
Speaker 17: Can I saw that?
Speaker 33: Yeah?
Speaker 19: I love that?
Speaker 1: And they did create those moments, didn't it in our history and what we got. I always felt even towards you. Now I feel like I know you because you did host Countdown on your as well as your songs. I mean, and I'll ask you about your voice in a minute, but the songs and the act, it felt like we knew you as a bloke.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, Molly actually asked me host the two hundredth show in England and we did it over there. It was mad, everything was crazy. I do remember knocking over Bond Scott. I don't know if I really knocked him out, but he was in the way of the camera and I forget that and he went turtle. And so I'm kind of famed for the guy in the octop of the Bond. But I love Bond. I mean, I didn't mean to do it.
Speaker 20: It was just that he was in the shot.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's from he's from this town, made he's from the city, and.
Speaker 3: We know he's a lovely boy and he's.
Speaker 1: Got a statue in down and Frio.
Speaker 3: He was a very he was a very funny guy. He cracks such amazing jokes. He was like he could have done stand up.
Speaker 1: I reckon as could you hey, Leo, why now? And what's in the songs? How you're putting it together? Oh?
Speaker 3: Look, there's everything in there. We don't have a support act, right, I do the whole show. It's structured to really take you on a journey through all the songs and all the career. It's there's there's so much contrasting music in there, which I'm very proud of.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: There's ballads, and there's story songs, and there's dance songs, and there's rock songs. So everything's in there, you know. And and it kind of like the lyrics take over the narrative of the of the tale as it were, you know. And I think that that's that's something that I do that is very different to other people, you know, and it makes the show, you know. So I'm on stage for about an hour and three quarters and yeah, and it's fitting everything in is a tricky one, but we managed to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you and I'll let you suggest the song we can go out with.
Speaker 3: Well here's the thing. I mean, I do the same I'm in England exactly as I do in Australia. Okay, so that's a unique thing that you know, my career has meant the same in both places and the same hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mate, you had you had a unique voice. You could do the low register stuff. You've got a great raspy rock voice. If you need it, you can do the I was going to say, can you still Can you still do the falsetto?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just about I can't and you make me fillow down so I can't keep going the whole song. I break off on after a while, but it's still there. And there are other songs where the falsetto is in.
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, you're there.
Speaker 1: So the pipes are holding up. That's good, mate, pipes.
Speaker 3: Are holding up, the hair is still on.
Speaker 34: It's all good.
Speaker 1: Mate. Where you are playing, it's just a natural that I'll call you mate. I do don't know why that is, but I hope that's mate. I am a mate first Australing to since nineteen, I've already had a.
Speaker 3: Couple of I'm talking to my mate Bowie okay.
Speaker 1: Everywhere your mate, Mandra Thursday September eleventh at the Impact and play at the Astor on Friday September twelfth. They're both riper venues. Why should people come along that.
Speaker 3: Because they're going to see something very special that's timeless. I think, Yeah, it's not just me, I mean all of us guys from our era. The music we made was very special. We didn't have mobile phones or social media or anything like that. We were able to spend a lot of time concentrating on creating these songs, you know, because nobody disturbed us, which was wonderful. There was nothing to sidetrack us or take our attention away.
Speaker 8: These days, it's not so easy.
Speaker 3: So I think it's we're echoing a fantastic time in life, in our lives, you know, and a lot of people come along because they'll say, oh, that's a special song Orchid Road, you know, that's the song we got married to. So it's nostalgia as well, you know.
Speaker 1: Nice to know, you know when you look back. Nice to know that good songs hold up when you play live now, mate, when you play live now, what are there any that have you reworked a bit or you feel differently about them?
Speaker 3: Or yeah, we work quite a few of them actually, yeah, because you know, for songs fifty years old, you can't do it exactly the same as the record. And also I think that that's an additive in the concert if you kind of can adapt the songs. I mean, some people take it too fast, Moose. People criticize Bob Dylan because he's not doing it exactly the same. But some of his songs are seventy years old, you know, so what do you expect him to do?
Speaker 11: So?
Speaker 3: But we do adapt them, and we and you know, some of the songs we brought something new to like Reining in My Heart I do, and it's a big harmonica and guitar duet in that. You know, we kind of play off each other and that becomes a feature in itself, and we play with the rhythm of that and play with the speed of it, and it becomes a bit of a showstopper, you know, in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We really nice to talk to you. I think a lot of people listening to who are my age or maybe a bit older, who who remember you fondly and always love not only the music but your personality. So it be nice to see you here, see you in September, mate, good man, thank you for chatting to us.
Speaker 3: No, really looking forward to It's going to be fab all right, all right, buddy, see.
Speaker 35: Your man now.
Speaker 1: All the best. Leo Leo Sayer up and about how good we'll go out with this one? I reckon he's playing mandra the impact. It's like saying that. Thursday September the eleventh, and be in Perth at the Ash Store, which is a great venue as well. Friday September the twelfth, Get yourself some tickets. Leo Sayer. Here he is when time.
Speaker 29: All down my house, love never you damns so much.
Speaker 1: Keeping warm day.
Speaker 29: Miles and miles of empty space and tweets Tanavon count.
Speaker 1: Great voice, can hit the high notes, seeing the ballads, the raspy rock voice when he needs it as well, and just a rip a guy. He always felt like you knew him, didn't you. And a lot of the host who count Down the same, John Paul Young, Shirley Strawn, A lot of the guys you hosted, Darl Braithwaite, you felt you knew them their personalities as well as their music. Really good show had Nancley, I said, had a vibe and had a thing going for it, an organic thing that other TV music shows haven't been able to emulate. The Countdown here Leo Sayer. Seventh Thursday September of the leventh of the impact and perth at the Astor on the twelfth of September, which is a Friday, back in a moment asking the questions today, is forty cline are now forty kilometers an hour too slow? The City of Stirling are going to trial that on about five or six streets that are around carrying up golf course like well Up. They are all roads that we drive on to get to the shops. They're not rat runs, they're roads, They're thoroughfares. I reckon Taz lives near one of those roads. Tas our genius office administrator. He if he lives near one of them, and she says it's already got buses on it and traffic carming devices and trees in the middle, and they want to make it for it. There's been no crashes on it. Carl Langan said to me this morning. He drives on Huntress Road every single day and he's never seen an accent on it. Forty ks now is it too slow?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Has already won the knows of six. Hello Barbara, Hello, I'm just.
Speaker 36: Ringing to say it was wonderful that we've got such a great crowd last night, and thanks go to Colin Barnett for getting us the wonderful stadium that we've got. I've been to other stadiums and there's none like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, thanks, bar It's good, isn't I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have you been a rugby league before, Barbara?
Speaker 36: I didn't go.
Speaker 1: I just watched it.
Speaker 36: Yeah, okay, I'm afl.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah all right, okay, thanks Vara good on how goods off the stadium? Yes, was a he was out on his own on that one too, CJB. There was you know, it was kitchen a park Coburn revamped SUBI and he said what about this? A lot of people went, who why should we go over there? And whose idea is this?
Speaker 36: And his.
Speaker 1: Thanks Barbara gooda, Bob.
Speaker 14: How are you going?
Speaker 18: BALI good?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 14: Listen. I've just got to raise an issues I've got the shy Council of Swamp I spared prior to going yes. I say yes on the forty kay Zin it's too low okay. And the shiest one is a verge park. My caravan right next to it to my home. I maintained the verge okay, it's not in safety issue for anybody driving around down the road and they've issued first issued me with a twenty three by law that says you can't park on the verge if there's signage, but if if there's no signage, an adjacent landowner approves, you can park on the vergep So I went back to them and co did a by law that they left me and then they pulled down another by law one O that says you can't park on the verge irrespectiveness the signage you're not. So I've driven, I've driven around. I live in there on Brook and I've been twenty seven years here so and on my pension. So I drove around to let ellen Brook yesterday in the rain and I took thirty seven photographs of just the streets around me. That's got verge parking.
Speaker 1: So have you have you have you been ping? Bob? Have you have you been infringed?
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, I've been. Pink's got infringement owners for that your own verge I'm parking. You're not allowed to park on the verge.
Speaker 20: Peaked will stop your.
Speaker 14: Verge, so any any verge, but.
Speaker 1: Bob, you've been pined for parking on your own verge by the city Swan have you.
Speaker 14: I'm parking on my verge that I maintain this. Wow, they say that you can't park on the verge full stop. And there by law, as I said twenty three, says that if there's no signage and the adjacent land owner, which I'm an adjacent land owner, agrees, you can park on the verge. Now, I maintain that verge. I keep it need and tidy. I've had the foot I've had put I spent three thousand dollars with Syric security cameras on that verge because we've got people that in Allen Brooks has decided to come and jack your trailer up and pinch all your tires and all your tires on your caravan. So that's happened to me. So I've put your car I've put cameras up. Now.
Speaker 1: So is he just on sorry Bob side interrupt. Are you being pink because you're parking your caravan on the verge or your vehicle?
Speaker 18: No parking my caravan.
Speaker 14: You're not allowed to park any vehicle or any motor vehicle or tarravan or trailer on a verge.
Speaker 1: So when you drove around yesterday, were you were you spotting cars? Were you the thirty seven cars.
Speaker 14: No, no, caravan's parked on the verge. People that park on the verge in the front of the schools. It's got seven signs on the front of the schools and people park all over the verge.
Speaker 1: All right people. Yeah, I'm going to put you back to Sean and Ann and get your details and we'll follow up, follow up for you.
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard of that, not certainly, not vehicles. I know some councils don't like trailers and vans on verges, but if you've got permission from yourself to do it, you haven't. You haven't ticked them off somewhere else, have you, Bobby, haven't had a running with them.
Speaker 21: Have you?
Speaker 22: No?
Speaker 14: No, No, I just just got some Indian guys that's decided to ping me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 14: I don't know what grounds he's got to peek me and not ping.
Speaker 1: You everybody else. Yeah, all right, Bob, Yeah, I don't know. I'll put you back to Sean and to Anne and we'll see if we can follow it up on your on your behalf with the with the mayor. Just trying to think who the mayor of Swan is. Sean mccalloch missus McCulloch, maybe Kate McCulloch. We'll follow it up for we mate. Text from Lindsay. Lindsay lives in Serpentine. This is talking about speed limits in the metro area out in servent I gone and dropped all the rural road speeds from an eighty k to fifty k's. Residents out here are not happy at all. Yeah, thanks, Lyn's Tanya Richardson. Thank you, Sean. The budget will be handed down a little bit later today. I more than happy to take your state budget predictions. Do you think there'll be anything in the state budget for you? One double three eight eight two. Olie will have the steering wheel this afternoon when the budget is handed down, and of course the analysis will come a little later in the day and tomorrow we get chance to pour through it. Yes question time during the eighteenth This is Basil Zembless, leader of the Opposition, asking reader a question yesterday.
Speaker 37: Are there currently any issues with one doors opening or closing when they shouldn't two difficulty communicating using the train radio, three platform detection issues and four excessive swaying lateral movement at speed.
Speaker 30: Sorry.
Speaker 38: The issues that we're working with union members in particular is in relation to the comfort of the cs in the air conditioning in relation those are other issues that they're not issues that are raised with me as any issue of concern.
Speaker 1: So that's the sea class trains question that Basil put to Minister Saviota yesterday, the Transport Minister, and look, this was a weird issue, this one. So the Union seemed to come out and speak to the paper and said we're not happy with the sea class trains and then they backed off at a millionmile I was now I wouldn't do any interviews. So we're trying to piece together what has actually happened here. Who at the union is stroppy with the government. We have heard anecdotally is that there's not a not a lot of leg room on some of the C class trains. One double three eight eighty two is the phone number if you want to weigh in there. And I think rita soft Thirdy spoke to Breakfast this morning about what she may be wearing when she hands the budget down. Normally that bet on the color tie. Can we bet on your color dress today and you deliver the budget.
Speaker 24: I'm going to go red.
Speaker 19: You're going red.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a bit out there.
Speaker 18: This one.
Speaker 39: It's a bit out there, but I've got it on sale, which is.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Rita will be delivering the budget chat in an address that she got on sale. Thanks for listening. Three and a half minutes to eleven o'clock. Mick Collos will join me shortly and he'll be in the studio. Phone lines are open. One double three aaty two. Mick is wearing a blazer today and a college shirt. It's a Lulu Lemon blazer in a sec. Mi's very dressed up today. Stephen has noted that mix sounds a bit of a job interview. Maybe Stephen, maybe he does. He does need a job. One double three eight eighty two. We're keeping a poll today. Is forty k is now too slow ahead of the City of Stirling considering a trial on some of their roads. That yeses are eighty three it is too slow and the nose is six beautiful mind and Mick Collis after eleven o'clock. Yeah, thanks for you correspondents. Today, a lot of people saying that the city of June Luppa are reasonably hard on verge parking, particular when it comes to caravans. Thanks Brett from Warwick. Cheers mate, and yeah, a lot of our listens are saying that the city of June Love are pretty particularly tough on people parking their caravans and their trailers on verges. Will follow up on our on our mate Bob, who's been pined out in the city of Swan on that particular one. It's Thursday, eleven o'clock. It's time to do this. The beautiful mind of Michael Collis.
Speaker 36: Me Simon.
Speaker 1: It's we callt the massive mind. I in the terms yourself today, aren't you? Are you wearing a singlet yet? You have a very nice light blue shirt. I like it looks good. Thank you, a beautiful suit. Thank you? What brand of suit is that? Ogilvie and mad nice custom, very nice. Thank you here wearing a singlet.
Speaker 24: No, it's quite mild. It haven't needed a singlet yet.
Speaker 1: Which which would of course necessitate you tuck it into your underpants, your smalls. That's Hue double three eight two. They're opening a new Starbucks, the fifth Starbucks in Perth.
Speaker 2: Mick.
Speaker 1: They won't affect you. Yeah, they've got them in where they've got a man. They've got him in Butler. This one is mostly North.
Speaker 24: I think there's only one Starbucks. There was a big song of dance when they opened one.
Speaker 1: And when Anne was a reporter and Barclay when she was a reporter, she went to the opening of those. How long ago was that? The Butler one? The first one? Yeah, I don't know how long ago it was.
Speaker 24: Twelve months Pirawaters twelve months ago, twelve months, two years not sure they've wacked in up to five now. Yeah, well doesn't effect. Where was it and how long ago was it?
Speaker 40: Piarra Waters, I want to say ago, Hello, Sorry, I couldn't. There was a bit of talking going on in there.
Speaker 1: And I couldn't. I get that very strong impression that there's not a.
Speaker 40: Lot of program Now, we're loving the show, so we're listening intently. Prrewaters, pwra Waters was I think the first one in wa to open and that line was insane.
Speaker 1: But how long ago was that?
Speaker 40: I think about six months ago. Yeah, well they've been rolling out more.
Speaker 41: Yeah.
Speaker 40: I think there's going to be about a dozen in the end. But when I was chatting to some of the staff there, they said that they're often going to be set up near seven Eleven's because the same company owned both brands, and I don't think that's the case anymore. But the land had already been set aside for those Starbucks.
Speaker 1: And how many coffees do you think Mick Corllos has had in.
Speaker 40: His life, in his whole life that this makes me feel like? Maybe you're a non coffee drinker and you've only had two? Am I warm?
Speaker 1: Are you warm?
Speaker 40: Okay? More than two? Or less than to none? No coffee? Ever, you've never tried it?
Speaker 24: Because I ate a cupcake when I was seven and it was coffee flavored, and I thought, what the hell is this? And I've never had I like the smell of it, but I've never had a cup of coffee. And I think, if I want to drink, I'm not going to line up and ask for some dopey drink like this. I don't like coffee. People that walk with their coffee. That drives me nuts.
Speaker 1: Hates a strong word.
Speaker 24: No, I feel strongly about it.
Speaker 40: Do you have a sweet tooth?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 40: I love biscuits, Okay, yeah, good biscuits and tea.
Speaker 24: I won't make a cup of tea, but if someone offers me a cup of tea, I think, if I want to drink I'll just get it out of a.
Speaker 1: Tap or out of a bottle. I wait at a garden hose. I'm not going to wait.
Speaker 40: What about a hot milo?
Speaker 24: I do like a hot I'll order hot chocolate if I go out for a coffee, part of the coffee. Go for a walk with Simon. When we ride our bikes, I'll have a hot chocolate.
Speaker 1: Rate monitors.
Speaker 40: Yeah, very nice.
Speaker 1: Is anything you want to say and high?
Speaker 40: Hi'm Meg, second.
Speaker 1: Last day, second last day friend. Yeah. If you're a betting man, which you occasionally are, you're a modest better gamble responsibly. Would you wager that and will return upon the after the birth of little baby Simone?
Speaker 24: No, oh oh boy, she'll be she'll be she'll be what's the word besotted with that child and we'll never want to leave it.
Speaker 1: Wow, I think you'd be great. Mum.
Speaker 40: Great, that's really nice. Guys, will that's very nice. I don't know if financially I'll have that option to not return to work, but I'll talk it over with the husband. So we reckons. Yeah, crunch some numbers.
Speaker 1: We never had this.
Speaker 24: Problem because we only ever had one wage because my wife just never worked.
Speaker 1: And now it is then ironic. It is ironic, now you don't.
Speaker 40: There's actually a movement among some young young women called the trad wife. Have you heard of that traditional wife? Yeah, trad wife movement where there's a big push to be stay at home and yeah, it's it's it's interesting. I don't really know what I make of it. I like working, I like having purpose, something to wake me up in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you up.
Speaker 40: Well that's right at all hours several times. Absolutely.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 40: The purpose will still be there, but it will be a different purpose.
Speaker 1: We got a topic for you today. Ann and Sean have thought this up. What's because Roto are getting what.
Speaker 40: So they may be getting a new jetty. So the EPA has just approved today with conditions, Rottnest Island Authority proposal to extend and redevelop the existing Army groin at the southern end of Thomson Bay. So not the main Thomson Bay jetty, but there's a little groin. They want to expand it to create a breakwater, barge landing ramp, ferry birth refueling, small craft landing facility and access road.
Speaker 1: Micro brewery maybe Ferris Willy what you need. It's what they're doing in.
Speaker 40: Mandra But I think it's because Ronto has really only got the one main Jetti, right, Yes, you've got other jetties that you fish off and things like that.
Speaker 1: That's just got the one main one.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Mick, I thank you, Ann, thank you and good luck to you. Very comprehensive. Well yeah, we so we're asking this, Mick, Mick and Simon's top three to seven favorite Jetties in the world. Favorite Jedi three to seven in the world.
Speaker 24: Well, apart from that one at Rottenest, I only know one Jeddi and that's down at in Clermont Bay Chester Road, is it. That's a nice jetty road. That's where the bloke drove his car.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, that one. That's the only one you know.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I can't think of any other Jeties.
Speaker 1: Do you know a lot of Jeddy Yeah, I think so. I thought you would know more being a man of the yeah marine environment.
Speaker 24: Yeah, but I don't.
Speaker 1: That's the only the longest wooden jetty in the world of Bustleton. Yeah. Yeah. There's two being to that one. Yeah. Yeah. Favorite Jedies folks, one Leuble three eighty two. There is a heap in the this one is a nice jety at Point Walter, Yeah nice Jenny. Oh yeah yeah yeah near the sandar, near the sandbar. Yeah yeah, it's a nice one. One double three, A Daddy two your favorite palm beats Jenni rocking Ham never been there. Yeah, No one's ever invited me. Too far, too hot. If you're like phone in, you can one double three A daddy two is the where's your favorite, Jenni? Folks, there's a heap in the Swan River. There's a heaping in the ocean. God they Clark?
Speaker 20: Yeah, Hi, do you think you're mighty?
Speaker 14: Crusoders will win on the weekend Clark.
Speaker 24: I'm going to stick with the Chiefs only because I think they've been the best team for the years, so I reckon that's and with someone like Damian McKenzie in good form, I'm going to go with the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: But I think about it.
Speaker 14: Who won the most championships in the history.
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, they've got good fire. I don't think they've ever lost a file at home, so they're going to be hard to beat. So it should be a cracking gaming. It's at three o'clock tomorrow. I'm not on stand, which is part of the nine. Yeah, network, I walked on it. Thank you, Clark, Thanks your question, Clark the taxi driver. I walked on a nice Jetty on the other afternoon when I went to pick up Hazel from school. Woodbridge House has got a nice little jitty. Where is that that's seen? Guildford near Guilford Grammar. There's a lot of things up there that have they. Yeah, that little part of yeah, really nice. Yeah, beautiful part of the river, no doubt.
Speaker 40: Hello, Chantell, Hellozy, hello me, Hell are you good?
Speaker 16: That's good?
Speaker 7: My nomination is Brighton, Jetty, my dad's hometown in the UK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I went there when I was a teenager and it blew me away, especially the beach.
Speaker 1: Donkeys got donkeys there, haven't they, Chantelle.
Speaker 39: It's stayed a lot of times as I went there.
Speaker 1: They got donkeys, yea, they do. I think they've got donkeys at Brighton and you can ride them. This show mate, you said that, you said the tone laughing that you laughing at your own show? Have you only just realized what this show is?
Speaker 33: Is?
Speaker 16: This is it?
Speaker 24: Is it Jetty like a pier, like a Santa Monica pier?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think of a Jety's main timber made of wood, like it's a pier, a big jetty, I think so yeah, yeah, okay, so can we include those?
Speaker 24: Yeah, I'd like Santa Monica. Then Santa Monica's peer.
Speaker 1: Aw, what do you mean this show? At Will's phone inger, they will good morning, Good.
Speaker 13: Morning, gay Will.
Speaker 20: I know where the shortest jetty in the world is. It's in a little country town in South Australia called We'ruala, and it's wooden and I reckon it's only about eight or ten foot long, quite big tall, and it's thirty or forty kilometers from the closest water other than tap water.
Speaker 1: Wow, what's it called again, mate?
Speaker 20: We're all I think it's w I double R A L A or similar.
Speaker 1: And you're saying it's not near water. It's not near water.
Speaker 20: No, it's about thirty k's or more from the coast.
Speaker 1: To go over a swamp or a wetland or something.
Speaker 20: Will, No, it's as dry as wooden.
Speaker 33: God.
Speaker 20: And as I say, the closest thing to water is tap water.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, wow, that is bizarre one if it's true. That's given the theme of the show.
Speaker 42: Jeff ah Hi Hi Simon him there's another book.
Speaker 19: Yeah. Good.
Speaker 20: Hey, there's another.
Speaker 43: Important Jenny at Rockingham. So the Rockingham your club jetty. If you stand at the end of that and you look up, it looks like this.
Speaker 42: The land is vacant.
Speaker 20: Well, that used to be the first.
Speaker 43: Jetty that timber was loaded onto ships and it used to come by rail from Jaredale.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I actually think I knew that because I'm from from down there. So yeah, I did my assuming lessons down there, Jeff, That's where I got my j intermediate that thanks mate, Thank you, Jeff Bigton. Bigton's got a good Jed. Is that a Jedy though? I think so. It's like a square thing. Yeah, it's pretty good. Is that classes a Jeddy? I think so. I thought that Jed timber stuck out, stuck here, it's just stuck out.
Speaker 24: But this goes round and that's square. That's a nice that's another one of jeddy.
Speaker 1: It's a nice Jedida Bob.
Speaker 35: Yeah, the longest Jeddy in the world is south End off the Thames, longer than Bustledon and it's made of jarraff from the Jarrah forest.
Speaker 1: W A is it really?
Speaker 32: Yep?
Speaker 1: Wow? Big if true? So how long is that that's true?
Speaker 14: Are you checking it out?
Speaker 35: It's longer than the bustledon.
Speaker 21: How long is it, Bob, I've forgotten exactly, but it's longer than the bustling one.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Well, good on you mate. I believe that Busselton is the longest in the Southern Helm. Yeah, that's what I think. It's one point six case.
Speaker 24: Because it's what's the swim? This isn't the swim out and around?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they go a little bit further, don't they do it?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It swims four I think, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 24: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm wonderbl three eight eighty two, Gibbo says Hillary. Jetty that's a good yeah, Yeah, that's a good job.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's got a pub of bowling alley in a new restaurant. Got to be my favorite, jet he says Gibbo. Thanks you Bo, we'll come back in just a moment. You have a test to me today, I believe, yes.
Speaker 24: And also, you know we were talking about parking at the top. So I went to Origin last night. Yes, And when we came I parked at Belmont Racecourse.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 24: So came out of that little bridgie thing and there's cars were parked just on the verge, not causing any problems whatsoever, all had tickets. Yeah, So why do they do that? It was a rainy night, Yeah, normally they wouldn't go out on a Wednesday night in the rain. Were they on the on vic Park Drive where they don't know what? I don't know what the roads called, whether what you.
Speaker 1: Call the bridgie thing goes totast the tennis into the casino that bit. So you so from the ground, yep, your head over towards Belmont Race Course. Yes, and you've got to go you kind of go down the ramp to then come back towards Belmont. And so just if you went down the ramp just on the left hand side, on the Belmont Racecourse side, just cars were parked kind of on the verge there.
Speaker 24: Getting tickets or getting tickets. And I just think that's just petty, unst like, why I do that on that one night? Just if you know they weren't those cars weren't causing any problems whatsoever. But they've all been ticketed.
Speaker 1: Well, I was at the unofficial Ubers stop, so I got on an Uber there and the Ubers just stopped middle the road and just get out. Yeah, which is not on whereabouts? Just past the you know where you turn right to go to the camfield, Yes, and you keep keep going straight to the to the crown towers. Yeah. There that set of light they stop, get out. Yeah, okay, hundreds of us, yeah right, yeah, well one numble three eight eighty two. Love to hear from you today. Google. Google tells us Bustled and Jedty is the longest timberpologety in the Southern Hemisphere. Thank you, Google, Thank your team. Back in at set twenty past eleven, Dev says south end and g is two point one four kilometers long, So I think busso Jedi is one point six kilometers so which is a mile in the old language?
Speaker 24: That what would that two point one kilometers? Why where's that going out? Why's it going out so far?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 24: Was the jedis but Bustle the one so long?
Speaker 1: That was also a timber loading jetty. I think so it's just good surrounding forests. Is it for the depth of the water, yeah, the ships can come in. Yeah, I would have thought so. One double three a daddy two is the phone number? Did you have a question yeah, did you Yeah?
Speaker 24: Question, did you go to Origin last night?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 1: Where where'd you sit? I sat in a nice part because you're fancy. Yeah, with Peter Velandi's oh really premiere and all those guys. If you guys from six PR, how did you get invited to that? Because I worked for six PR and worked for nine Radio. Okay, did you go? Yep?
Speaker 24: I sat out in the rain? Who with my wife? Took on a date?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right with my poncho.
Speaker 24: You know what, I was surprised about the number of people that went to that gun last night with no rain protection at all. There was women in their nice dresses, guys in suits, just sitting in the rain.
Speaker 1: And then they're just thinking, why are we doing this? Two words rugby?
Speaker 24: Yeah, credible, miss is in our little ponchos.
Speaker 1: We were a million dollars second biggest food and beverage take in history for the stadium last night, only behind the AFL Grand Final. Really, so they don't mind, no, they they're getting on the tooth.
Speaker 24: Yep, they're good fund the leagues. I like them, and I'm sitting with some. I'll sit with some good punters because they just yell out abuse all the time and they'll pongy your dog and the next time pongy your cat. Like it's cats and dogs.
Speaker 1: It's great. They're good characters. Jim's phone in They Jim.
Speaker 32: Hey Bowie, how are you Jim?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 32: There's a jeddy in Gourby and it, experience is the largest title surge in Australia. It's up to twelve veters. You need to check whether the tide generator. Who want to go fishing off the jeddy and it's definitely recommended that you don't go from me.
Speaker 24: There's the cross Oh okay, yeah, it's an old.
Speaker 32: Jeddy there a long time. I think originally they used to escort cattle from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you know you know when you have a twelve meter tide, That's what I was going to say. That's a big tide.
Speaker 7: Is that.
Speaker 1: Depth of water or length it goes out? Because I think Derby, thanks Jim. Places like Derby and Kartha, Roeburn damp here the tide goes out kilometers and so and so why is there tide so big and down here? It's not I don't know. So there's sort of that Mangrove flat.
Speaker 24: Yeah but what but that's those tides.
Speaker 1: Is the moon stronger up there?
Speaker 13: Is it?
Speaker 1: Here we go?
Speaker 19: Here we go.
Speaker 1: I knew this would happen. Is that the reason I knew this would happen. We get in this other territory we neither of us know anything about.
Speaker 24: Can someone tell me why why don't we have big tie and why are there times bigger? Simon thinks because the moon's stronger. If someone could clarify that.
Speaker 1: Thanks Jim waonderful Mark.
Speaker 34: Sorry, that's down that my pace. I'm going back to Verge tickets. Sorry to take you back listening to this for a story, I almost lost me marbles. It was about two or three months ago. Simon, you might be familiar with it. On Saturday mornings down Beach Road and there's tea ball there at the Green open Space, so there's parking everywhere. People have to park on the Verge because there's not enough car parks.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 34: It was the second last game of the season, and then the following week, so sorry another week, and then the Monday, so eight days on I received a ticket in the mail for a Verge ticket way once. So the season's finished and everything. You can't warn anyone about it there now but there's a ticket in the mail from Stirling for one hundred bucks they could have got on that particular morning. They have got hundreds of people hundreds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at Junior Sport and there's nowhere else to park, and it's just they're like and it's it's angle parking, too marked and the people are really respectful. Angle parking. It's not dangerous, it's not congested. It's it's it's something that I you know, I see it all the time. That and you've got one hundred bucks for that?
Speaker 34: What what do they wants to do? Park at Warwick shops and walk longer than the Buster and Jenny times three down there or something. It's just I was I went nuts.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but yeah bus yeah, yeah, that's that's that is very mercenary. It's very annoying Junior Sport and there's literally mark there's there's probably two or three hundred cars there, so they've gone two hundred times one hundred. I reckon about pay day, Come on, yeah, mister mayor pretty ordinary, pretty ordary. I don't think Mark Ewan would like that.
Speaker 24: No, I don't think so either. He seems like a fairly human being. I mean, yeah, kid's sport.
Speaker 1: Give me a break, get Lisa, hi, Simon him.
Speaker 7: I just want to nominate the Esperance Jeddy many of bull Heiring Court. On the end of that jedi, it was a wonderful fishing spot that one is to go up with my late mother in law, which I put the baby in the pram and yeah it was, it was. It was really good. So it was a great jedy that one. So but it was one of those jetties where if you took the kids down there, they probably say, are we there yet? Are we there yet?
Speaker 1: You're talking about it in the past tense. Is it gone? Is it yep? Sean's sean?
Speaker 35: Or no?
Speaker 1: Is it gone? That Jety's gone? Has it?
Speaker 33: No?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no it's still there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, no you Parson because you used to like going there. Thanks Lisa, appreciate it. One double three two The w a pedal pre human powered vehicles are racing in yan Chet this weekend race two or four. Have you seen these what's it called human powered vehicles? Is it a push by pedal prix?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was a canopy over it, so come cycle with a nice aerodynamic canopy over it. Never heard of it? No, yes, you can only think one. Jetty ask you. I'm after two now, and you've got a golf question for me as well.
Speaker 24: Yes, Now, so these if you hit a shot, because this is off the back of that JJ Sporn winning the USPG, which was fabulous. So if you hit a shot and a mate sent me this, So if I offend anyone, it's his fault, not mine. So if you hit a shot and you call it something, what does that mean? So, for example, if you hit a shot and someone says it's a Lieutenant Dan, what's that mean me?
Speaker 1: He uses a character in Forrest Gump. He's the guy he didn't have any legs.
Speaker 24: Yep, so the shot doesn't quite have the legs. Yeah, that's a Lieutenant Dan. Okay, your stepsister, you probably probably probably probably shouldn't be up there, but it is.
Speaker 1: This one relates to pudding. If it's a Danny DeVito, what is it short?
Speaker 24: You're a nasty little four footer. If it's a Fidel Castro, I don't know. This is when a putt falls just short of the hole. It just needed another revolution. Princess Diana, I don't know, shouldn't have used the driver, Oh, Grace Kelly should have used to driver son in law.
Speaker 1: Doubtful about it, but it ended up. Okay, just have a think about whatever you're doing there. That gesticulation or that jests you use. This means to me, this is a I've got a red flag going up. No, I don't think so.
Speaker 24: And again I apologize if this offends anyone, but hitler unkle at bunker. Two shots in a bunker yea m h three seventy No no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: We can't do that. We we guarded that. Really. Yeah, we got it that way, Glenn. I was going to explain high tides to it meet this show, get a Phil. Yes, hello mate, far away.
Speaker 14: Canada.
Speaker 42: That's the highest tide in the world. So that goes from low tide to high tide.
Speaker 13: Is sixteen meters.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 42: Yeah, So I've I've been there and I've seen it when it's low tide and then I've seen the watermarks and when it's at high tide on the rock.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, cool Phil, Thank you mate. That was in Funnies in Canada.
Speaker 42: Did you say, Yeah, it's in Canada. You're down near Monkton down in the Maritimes in.
Speaker 20: Nova Scotia way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, thanks mate. Good a Glenn, Good guys, how are we good at tides?
Speaker 33: Tides?
Speaker 17: Tides are affected by two things. As that guy just talked about was there. He was in May in Canada, So it acts like a funnel. That's why I'm all so much higher than in a flat area. Derby isn't a flat area. This closer to the equator. The equator of theth is closer to the Moon than the poles are exerts more gravity or a feel more gravity from the Moon at the equator than the poles do. So if you had two flat areas at the equator and at the pole, you're going to get a high tighter the equator than you will as the pole. It's it's the moon's gravity's effect on the water.
Speaker 1: So, Glen, what was that so within in Canada?
Speaker 8: Though?
Speaker 1: If that's that's not near the equator, what was the reason for that high tide?
Speaker 17: Because he was in a bay, So I think of like a funnel. It's funneling the water through a bay into a smaller area, so the water has got less area to be spread out of its fund upwards, whereas Derby it's not as flat, so the topography doesn't really matter, or the gravitational effect of the moon on the water.
Speaker 1: So Glenn, when Simon said the moon's stronger and Mick laughed at me, is that them?
Speaker 19: It was?
Speaker 1: I justified in saying that, Yeah, let's go with that because you're.
Speaker 14: On the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Thanks Glenn.
Speaker 24: I didn't hear him agree with you broke up.
Speaker 1: The moon stronger at the equator? Too many rabbits in China twenty six minutes a twelve back in the second So meet, As you know, Channel nine are not Channel seven. Yes, Channel seven have not been riding up rugby League in any way shaping from In fact, they've been a little petty, little petty about it. And I asked the question earlier on today which seven West personality reporter journalist would have been at the game last night in the fancy room. A lot of people suggested Asian Barrich. It wasn't Barret that I saw he played league. He's a league yeah, yeah, as well as an NFL play. It wasn't Tim. It wasn't Sam, the beautiful weather person. Jolly wasn't her. I got a photo of Sam Jolly. Did you okay? Yep. I told her that my wife was a fan and could I get a photo? Is your wife a fat? I just wanted a photo? So yeah, we still I haven't revealed who it was. Can I guess or not?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 24: Was it was his first aim glea, Yes, he loves his leg he does.
Speaker 1: Are you going to take?
Speaker 24: So who is sitting here with the Landis and Abdin all those guys?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well they get invite it to the six Bear Christmas party? Yes, so why are they? And I don't they'll be invited whether we'll come on on?
Speaker 16: Is it?
Speaker 36: Well?
Speaker 1: I don't even get invited. Give me the choice, mate, it's still it's June.
Speaker 24: Yeah, but I was trying to get in early. It's been twenty years that I've never been invited.
Speaker 1: So the WA Pedal Prix is on this weekends. W E Race two of four. Got some beautiful photos up on our screen here, Mick. These these are best described as recumbent cycles. I reckon with magnificent aerodynamic canopies. Looks like a big deal, they Mack doesn't a bit of a crowd? It does.
Speaker 24: And I was reading because I've got on and had a bit look at it. And apparently, which I think is great. A lot of the schools get on board and they must build these a little cars and race them because I know they did that thing, but they stilled it with the solar panels.
Speaker 1: They do these things and have races, Yes, I know. Graham Johnson is the organizer of the w A Pedal pre Joints is now good? A? Graham Simon and Mick? How are you?
Speaker 44: I'm him?
Speaker 26: I'm very well, thanks?
Speaker 27: How are you?
Speaker 14: Mick?
Speaker 1: Very well? Graham very well? What do you call the vehicles? Mate? What's the proper name for them?
Speaker 34: Yeah?
Speaker 26: We call them just pedal pre bikes, which is sort of the name that's that's used around Australia with them, So that's just the standard name that we use.
Speaker 1: Yet and are they are they kids?
Speaker 24: Or you can design it anyway you want.
Speaker 26: I'm to do a couple of different things. The competition came out of an engineering event in Victoria. So you can design and build and we have we have had teams do that, but most of our teams will buy theirs from a couple of supplies and then do all the work to maintain them.
Speaker 1: How important is there aerodynamics and the canopy Graham.
Speaker 26: It's quite a bit because we can get up to and we're expecting about sixty to sixty five kilometers an hour this weekend up at yeah Chip, So yeah, it does. It does have a bit of an impact.
Speaker 1: And do they have gears?
Speaker 26: Yeah, most have a round about ten gears and they're really highly geared because they're they're really geared for speed. So yeah, speed is a crucial thing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so it's like a recumbent push bike, isn't it. Mate. You're lying sort of half on your back and you're like using that recumbent style of pedant. So you've got you've got to be fit, you got a good legs, got a train.
Speaker 26: Yeah, it's it is a lot harder than than people think. So it is a three wheel trick, so it is an I tend to call them recumbent bikes, ye with a hard shell around. But yeah, you do have to be fit because you're not only working your legs, you're also working your upper body. Because usually we rate on recentably small tracks, so there's always lots of tricks. We have about forty two in total, and so you're always you're always really active, and yeah, it's pretty hard.
Speaker 16: Work.
Speaker 26: Most people are cooked after about an hour.
Speaker 1: I would imagine. And how long is the race?
Speaker 26: Then we race for six hours?
Speaker 1: Oh jeez. So they have change drivers.
Speaker 16: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 26: Teams go from anywhere between three to ten or twelve. And you were right you spoke about before with schools.
Speaker 19: We have about.
Speaker 26: Fifteen schools that participate, which is the bulk of our teams here in Wa. And there's a whole range of things that you know, they can do within their team. So they can ride, they can fix problems, they can run the teams, they can do media. So it's a really it's a really good event for schools to get involved in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Cool boys and girls, guys and girls, Graham.
Speaker 26: Yeah, everybody. Yeah, yeah, it's a sport that anybody can do. I'm fifty seven and I still race.
Speaker 13: Yep.
Speaker 26: So we go anywhere from twelve thirty year olds right up to fifty seven year olds.
Speaker 1: Who are your guns, mate, who's your Andy Brayshaw's your superstars? Give us some names.
Speaker 26: This is our best team. He is called the Web Brothers Racing and they started when they were at dun Craig Senior High School. There's a twenty four hour race in South Australia in murray Bridge and they have won that and they're one of the best teams in Australia and they regularly fly over to South Australia to participate because in South Australia there's a round about two hundred tricks or two hundred teams and they race a seven race series over there, so they are one of the best in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the web brothers, good Graham, do you need a commentator mixed looking for work?
Speaker 26: Well, well not not for this event.
Speaker 11: I did hear that.
Speaker 26: Look, I did hear that he was unemployed.
Speaker 42: So I went out and.
Speaker 26: Bordy Sudoku book.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 44: It did.
Speaker 26: It did leave me with more questions than answers, so Nick, I'll be honest, that's all right. But yeah, so yeah, we have commentators, you know, because it's a really big event. We would have four hundred, four hundred and fifty people at the event in terms of participators and spectators and parents and.
Speaker 16: The like.
Speaker 26: And it's our first time up at Yanship, We've never raced up there before. It's a purpose built track by the City of Wanneroo and they've got yeah, yeah, they've got behind us and supported us to be able to run up there. So yeah, we're yeah, we're really excited about what we can what we can offer. And it's a free event, so you know, anybody can just rock in and have a look and just see what we do. And if they're interested they can talk to one of the committee people and and see whether they can you participate.
Speaker 1: So yeah, right, great, great to talk to you. Well done on reading mixed book. Yes, thank you, Graham, he's buying one. Read it ye Sunday.
Speaker 26: Yeah, it's on Saturday two o'clock and we finish at eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: All right mate, good just look up w A Pedal Prix p R I X and you'll be able to find out all the details. Great to talk to you, mate, Thank you very much, Good.
Speaker 26: Luck, beautiful, Thanks ver much guys today see.
Speaker 1: Mate Graham Johnson. That's a bit of fun. Yeah, it's a bit of fun. Purpose built track. Yeah, which is did you know and I think I know the answer to this before I asked you. There was an Australian Grand Prix held out in the Swan Valley, the suburb that's now called Brabham named after Jack Brabham. Really, Sir Jack Brabham and there's an old racetrack out there as well, and it's still maintained by volunteer group. You see the science when you drive past it. It sort of I don't know if you can. I don't know if you can. You can sort of see the track through the bush. But he's maintained by local volunteer group. I think it was in the nineteen fifties. From Premtel out there one double three a D two. You'd like speak to Mickey can Davo, who one of our regular listeners. I have a theory, Mick. I've never seen a recumbent cyclist with a girlfriend. They've all got beards too. I didn't want and those French foreign legion hats. Yes, I didn't want to put it to great and he's too nice a bloke to be unkind to him. Fourteen ha, Thanks David. Fourteen and a half minutes to twelve Lee and thank you very much for your text message. It's a family show, so we can't read it out, but you appreciate that that I did. That's funny. The how's this golf terms? Salmon rushty A long and hard to read part. Wow, that's pretty good.
Speaker 23: Is that nice?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 1: Double three A toady two is the phone number. A developing story Kanana Freeway southbound. This is from about five or ten minutes ago. Karana Freeway southbound has been closed at Ancatel Rode all lanes so Quran southbound due to a crashing man doggle up. More in our traffic report at midday, Brad was there? Gooda Brad, Hey Bowie, how are you? Yeah? Good mate?
Speaker 35: Yeah, that's a bit of a mess. I've just seen police bikes come over the on ramps heading east, over the freeway bridge and turned left down the exit ramps. They're trying to get down there, and it's just madness that the traffic is coming up southbound. They're coming up to the set of lights and then going back onto the freeway the other way. But just a boarder. It's going to be nuts for quite a while.
Speaker 1: It's just the southbound side, is it, Brad? At this stage it's southbound side.
Speaker 35: Even the northbound side it's clogging up. I don't know. Let's just rubber necause I'm here to west on Ancontel Road and as I was coming to it, you can see traffic both directions just it's just chaos.
Speaker 1: All right in your truck?
Speaker 20: Mate?
Speaker 35: Yeah, mate, I am all right.
Speaker 1: I'll take it easy. Hey, thanks letting us know. Cheers See mate, Brad, who's a regular. Hey, do you think Perth's full full? Probably not yet, don't you, reckon? I do. I think it's full. It's quite congested, it's full.
Speaker 24: I've drove out last night. I live fourteen kilometers from Belmont Racetrack. It took me an hour to get there. The Sydney the Sydney City of the Surface, fourteen kilometers. Steve Montaghan he ran that in forty minutes.
Speaker 1: It took me an hour.
Speaker 24: It took me an hour to drive fourteen kilometers. Yeah, whole thing was just fifty nine dollars uber.
Speaker 1: So you've got you've got peak hour people leaving the city, commuters heading off, you got people sixty thousand people trying to get into the ground with no drop offs, no car parking people. I reckon people do whether they treated that more like a one off instead of an AFL game, a regular fixture where they often use public transport.
Speaker 24: I thought a lot of people were dropped, like, say, is there a game there tonight?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 24: What time's that? Start six ten, I think so same time. Will it be as bad tonight? I think so because AFL people are more accustomed to getting trained.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. Yeah, last night was chaotic.
Speaker 24: It was insane. I came along Cambridge Street. It would have taken me probably ten sets of traffic lights to get on the Thomas Street, and yet people drive up on that outside. We were getting three cars at a time through and every time there'd be three cars trying to squeeze in, and I'm saying to my missus, we're not getting get there because three cars keep coming in then and.
Speaker 1: We're not going to get I actually thought I was going to make the start of the gain too.
Speaker 24: I we sort of half ran in and I got in just before they ran out, so it was good. Timing was perfect.
Speaker 1: I sent you a video on the weekend. There's a little plot of land knit. I went for a walking well up like walking around well up around just before we did that.
Speaker 24: I think Rob Beaver could set up a side business like a hotline. So if you're worried about how to get some of your ring, rob Beaver and find out how to get there. One three hundred Beaver Traffic whenever you need it. Traffic every ten minutes. How long did it take you to change your tire? Fifty four minutes. That was pretty competitive. I thought a long time took me as on the far or no, on the chair on the klugger, because we've been driving. I was driving it the night before and I kept pulling to the left and I kept starting showing there's somethingrong with your car because it keeps pulling left. And she said, oh, she hadn't noticed it. I thought, it doesn't surprise me. That thing's full of dance. It's got so many cameras on. It's full of dance because she keeps backing into things. But she didn't realize, so it's just pulling left. So the next I got up and there's been it's got a flat tire. So she took another car and it was my job to change this tire. So one had to actually find it where they had to get the little booklet to find out where the jack was in the car because it was all hidden behind panels. Weu and then think got this thing out, couldn't work out how to actually get the tire off this bloody chain thing that was stuck on then I put the jack under found it to put that, and I was whinding it, but the gutter was in the way, so they had to hide the day in front of it. And we've got where the driver was. So I tried to move the radeo the rodeo as battery was flat, so I had to push the adao out of the way, moved the clogger forward so I could unwind the thing without the gutter getting in the way. And fifty four minutes later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have some sympathy for because I don't reckon modern jack's that good. I've got a jack in the one D and it's very very ordinary. Yeah, it's not take the power to it and it just takes. So I do have some sympathy that jacks aren't great. I sent you a video of the weekend of a plot of land, Yes, and it was full of melons. Where was that plot? Well up? It's near lake? Well up? Are they edible? What are they? I don't know what they are. They're not watermelons. Did you take one? Nope? Why not? Because they're not mine?
Speaker 24: But is it public land?
Speaker 1: Probably? Yeah, it's yours? Then, yeah, find as keepers, losers, weepers? What are they, folks? They're not watermelons. They look like watermelons, they're green, they've got stripes on them. Are they pig melons? Do we still have pig melons in Perth? Never pig melons in Sydney? You never heard of a pig melon? YEA not looking very nice name?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 33: No?
Speaker 1: No need for that.
Speaker 24: I thought that because I thought that was a little watermelons.
Speaker 1: They like little but they are not red inside. They're yellow inside or green inside. Can you eat them? I didn't eat. I didn't has anyone? Can you eat pig melons? Folks? Do you still have them?
Speaker 24: I think they are pig melons.
Speaker 1: That what you think? It's I'm hazarding years. I haven't seen them for thirty years. Yeah, we used to have them when I was a kid. They picked melons one double three eight eighty two. So five and a half minutes to mid day. Just a reminder that if you are heading southbound on the freeway, try and get off the free at some point because at Ankotell Road there's been an almighty bingal in man doggle up, Greg says Mick. Call the rac to change your tire.
Speaker 32: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 24: The wait time would have been quicker than me spending time time to do that.
Speaker 1: Yep, they probably Paddy melons, says Leslie, Okay, Paddy melons, pa double d y.
Speaker 24: I did feel very manly though, once I changed that tire.
Speaker 1: You sent me a picture of the hand like dirt on it.
Speaker 24: Yeah, man, hands, hand man, I said to my I said that fat of my wife as well.
Speaker 1: Handed in the castle, he says, you've got to move the courteen and to get there, Taranta. Yeah, what's whose is? The road?
Speaker 24: That's mine is at the farm. You know that what the tider highlux is the farm. The rodeo is just cars. We got five five cars boys, five cars. That's a lot too, and there's only three of us in the house. The rodeo that was rusting on the roofs. I had to buy this rubber liquid and I've sprayed all that and that wasn't week and so now I've just covered it with it. I've got a tarp that I've hooked into the doors to try and keep it. And now it steams up. Whenever the sun comes out, it just steams up. How's last night at half time in the Origin when they let the fire crackers off, and then for the first twenty minutes of the second half it was like snow fog.
Speaker 1: It was unbelievable. He was to let our listeners know. We open today's segment mix wearing a suit, a really nice suit Ogilvy and Mather suit. Where are you going? Well? Do you have a special day?
Speaker 32: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I got to go to a funeral. You've got to go to funeral.
Speaker 24: I was worry because Tom Alan's in today. I've got the window that so id I a better dress up? I hope it goes well today.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Did you end up getting in doves? No, no, I've let that go. Yeah. And what I really like is when you got in the farm you today in your suit? Yeap?
Speaker 24: What did you have to do to put a towel down? And you see to keep myself clean and wet. It's a bit wet. I get rain comes into that farm.
Speaker 1: You too. I'm beautiful.
Speaker 24: But if you feelod about yourself, you jump in that little car and you get brought back down to Worth.
Speaker 1: Butler. That's a ripperp Butler, Battleville unemployed car steams up full of towel on your seat. You got a nice suit though, how good a my going. Yeah, yeah, I'd like get you to read this out if you will please, Glenn Jackie, which just tip tonight the Dockers are playing incident. Who does he like me?
Speaker 24: He's saying the Dockers by seventeen over Essenton at Optics Stadium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that's the state of Origins.
Speaker 24: Back WA's Victoria against Victoria's WA's what is WA's Dockers against Victoria's bombers.
Speaker 1: That's the Petty Way newspaper that was yesterday. Honestly, good to see you, mate, Good to see you. I hope this afternoon goes okay, no, thanks so much. It's a big one, big one for your family chair.
Speaker 24: It's not not mine. That's another one, is it. Yeah for a long time listener of six PR.
Speaker 1: Actually right and yeah yeah yeah, I'm on me talk about Yeah. Well, I do hope that still goes well for you. Thank you? Do you have a roll?
Speaker 33: No?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 24: Supporting my wife?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, very nice? All right, mate, Thank you see you next week this show. Two and a half minutes to midday, Mick, would you make your own getting lots of comments, you can make marmalade out of pig melons and stuff.
Speaker 24: I don't know why do you always get rid of me early?
Speaker 1: Well because I have to promote what's coming up next.
Speaker 24: But we've got time now to do that, like Twitter, soul.
Speaker 1: Marmlad out of pig melons. Is there any point doing that?
Speaker 24: No, there's no point in lot. We might talk about that next week.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 24: Some things that there are just no point.
Speaker 1: Doing making making you can already get them all right. What do you got coming up? Karen poly fagus, shotthold board, fantastic stick around. Yeah, thanks for your company today. What are these melons called? These big green melons, love watermelons. They're in a vacant block near me in gwell Up. Lots of people are saying, Rob, says Afghan paddy pie, A few different to right varieties, thanks Rob. Pig melons people are going They call pig melons, says Bernie, and normally grow on hungry soil and sour to eat a hence fed the pigs, thanks Bernie. Patty melons are the size of marbles or cherry tomatoes, and the larger melons are called pig melons or jam melons. And now's the names that you can use for jam they sound sour and a bit awful. Dave, Thank you, mate. They're most lovely pine melons if they're oblong, says Mark the Farmer, I think these are pig melons, mate, farmer's worst night messes Rob as they introduce as camel feed. Is that right? Didn't know that? Thanks. Everyone'd love to hear from you today. One of our early stories today as we start the show at nine o'clock, Holly Edwards South had been to a press conference involving Jackie Jarvis. The state government are now officially moving from eradication of the poly faker shot hole borer into management. I wonder what the local governments are making of all of this that Karen chappel Is, the president of the WA Local Government Association, joins us now today. Karen Hi, Simon Hi, do you think what will your shis and councilors think about this?
Speaker 39: They're going to be deeply disappointed, to be gravely concerned about the future cost and impact on first of the tree tree canopy, but the cost to local governments to manage this the borer. I mean, at the end of the day, we are all really well aware that the response to this was so delayed, that it's been that inadequate and we now end up in the situation we're currently Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the minister is saying we can't eradicate it, We're just going to try and contain it.
Speaker 39: Right, That's correct, that's what's being said.
Speaker 5: So what is it?
Speaker 9: What is that?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: What will you know the metropolitan councils at this stage? What does that mean for them that it's down to them? Do you need more money from the state or the Feds on this one, Karen?
Speaker 39: There will need to be ongoing support forever in a day for local governments. The impact of this and this the fact that it's now gone into management, it's like, you know, we've got to live with this, and they're just telling us we've got to live with it forever. There's trees being removed, there's the cost of those trees. There's the cost to our tree canopy as well. And it's not only governments, our community are going to have to live with this as well. It is just huge and it goes back to the fact that we've never there's never been the greatest response, there's not been a greater consideration for research into methods of controlling it. Or looking and the engagement and education to the community has been limited as well. I mean it, seriously, is this today? This news is just it's really tough news. And once again it goes back to local government. We'll have responsibility to look out for this bad to remove the trees, carry the cost, which of course is a burden to local government. That burdens always shared. We all know that, and it comes back to the fact that it is actually a government responsibility.
Speaker 1: Do you feel it feels like the States has thrown its hands up and gone and it's too hard to get rid of it.
Speaker 39: At the end of as a scientistic can themmittee have made that decision. They have decided that this will go, so you know that this is now a management issue, no longer eradication.
Speaker 11: Let me just look forward and see when this.
Speaker 39: Becomes goes across the border to the Eastern States and all of a sudden it spreads out of the metropolitan perth where at the moment we've got the quarantine area where we're trying to eradicate it, keep it within a boundary that's not going to destroy horticultural industries as well, but it won't stay in wa This will spread Australia wide. This is significant this news today, all right, So.
Speaker 1: You and the one hundred and thirty nine, certainly the Metro councils. At this stage, WAGU would like to see the eradication efforts continued, either through research or you from worldwide experience or whatever it is. Karen, we spoke about this about three weeks ago, the funding set aside for the tree recovery program. This is a press conference that I went to with you where Jackie Jarvis and rees witchly said, look, we're going to give some money in the community group, local governments and schools to replant trees that have been taken out. We still haven't seen any of that money.
Speaker 39: I don't think the money is available to apply for currently that that that grant fund is available. However, this is this is much more than that. This is this is I mean, we have got this has got a significant implications for local government cost wise going forward, and our communities and our tree canopy. It's not just about replacing some trees, you know, simon yourself and when you were working with us, but how much the local governments are spending. Our localments are spending millions to control this bug and to increase tree canopy, And it seems to be you just got your back up the book against the ble constantly with these additional costs and ongoing costs removing removing an infected or dying tree in a public park. It's not it's not a cheap exercise. I mean, and where we're local governments are wearing this on a weekly basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, and thank you very much for talking to our listeners. We'll see see how this progresses from here. Have you got any meetings planned with the ministers or is it a done deal?
Speaker 39: We were advised of these decisions this morning, so I'm sure that we will continue. We are very very keen and we have been assured that well, we're another key stakeholders will be a part of the development of the long term management arrangements, and that is critical. We must be a part of those arrangements going forward.
Speaker 1: And have you just while I have you one final one apologies that we know the City of Canning of trying this trying this trial last week which involves some sort of substance being injected into infected trees. We also it would appear that that trial is being extended to some of the Western suburbs councils as well. What have you heard about that, Karen, whether it's working, Where are those trials at and is that an option for WELGA.
Speaker 3: I did see.
Speaker 39: It's all all research and all opportunities to look at what could possibly end this bug, ll end its life. Is we welcome all of it. I have no idea myself personally what the results of those that research has been, but you've you've got to encourage anybody and everybody to look for anything that they can do.
Speaker 1: To fix this, Yeah, to eradicate it. Karen, thank you for the chat. Have a good day.
Speaker 39: Thanks Simon, my boy.
Speaker 1: So see you, Karen Chappel. The WELGA president, Bryan says, how did this border got out of free for an amazes me. We did an inquiry evidently both departments communicates as Brian, Brian, I remember I was sitting here. I was sitting here in this studio with Darren Senor doing weekends talking gardening. It was the end of twenty twenty one and doctor Sonya Broughton, who was one of the scientists with DEEPERD came on two weekends in a row to say this is being contained. We think down near the port, but it is a bit of a problem. If you see any trees on your property or local government property to please report it. And now we've got a situation where the entire metropolitan area is quarantined and the state are saying too hard. We're just going to try and manage it. We can't get rid of it. We can't eradicate it. You just got to get rid of it. And that's why hurt Wolga have their collective underpants in a knot over this one one double three to two is the phone number. And still that money to replant trees. No trees have been planted. They're funny is available. We don't think any trees have been planted to replace the infected ones. Thanks for listening in, really appreciate it. Pig melons are popping in Tasmani, says Dean. Thank you, mate. Dave says pig malons are a wordplay from a pig million. Is that right, mate? Trevisays, I remember over thirty five years ago working for a very large hardware and timmer company, when you would open up the timber from Timber Indonesia, there'll be moths flying out another larvae in the actual packs and I thought at the time it's a matter of time before these things started impact on a native flora and fauna, says Trev. Thanks Trev back in a sex sixteen past twelve having to take a calls one double three A eighty two. We noted this morning that there were a number of roads in carrying up and in the city of Stirling that we're possibly going to trial forty k and our speed limits. So this is Huntress Road, Milton Avenue, Clement, a couple of other ones that sort of go between Reid Highway and Carrying Up Road through you know, pass Lake, carrying up golf Course, pass Lake well Up and they the council is saying that these are being used as rabbit runs or as rat runs, or as I would argue, their roads you drive on to get from one place to another, you get to the shops or get from you know your house through to carrying up through to Scarboro Beach Road. So we've been asking the question today is forty kilometers now too slow? The yeses are eighty nine and the nose at seven. So thanks for weighing in on that. Just as we to paraphrase story did this week, we asked you whether vapes had won the war on vapes, Well, poly Fagus shothole borer has won the war, and the poly fager shotholed boar I reckon. The Cook government has lost the fight against the borer. It's no longer technically feasible to eradicate it, so without scare mangering. If this bug, so this bug is not in the hills, it's not in Mundaring, and it's not in the hills or in the foothills. But if he gets up there and it attacks Morton Bay figs as people know, ficus, some softwood trees like plane trees, if he gets up there and gets down the scarp and gets into the you know, through the softwood trees of the scarp. As you know, the scarp goes right down to Ferguson. It goes right down through Colline through to Ferguson. So that's that would not be an ideal outcome. So Wilga is saying the state need to continue the push to eradicate the bug, or at least research into eradicating the bug, because this will be a cost borne by local government and potentially by ray pays twenty one and a half minutes past Miday. If you'd like to give us a call today, it's forty k and an hour too slow. The yeses are ninety and the noser eight. More than happy to hear from you. I have a musical question for you in just a moment. If you've got to be part of that, let's do this on per six PR the stock Market Report. Oh he Claire joins us from Sure and Partners on this Thursday afternoon. Gooda Owen, how are you goday, Simon?
Speaker 41: I am very well, and there are some signs today that we might maybe have a little bit of a loosening in the labor market here in Australia. We had the unemployment figures released today. In April, there was a gain in job numbers here of eighty nine thousand, but for the month of May, we've learned today that there was a decline in the number of jobs of two and a half thousand, so that's a pretty significant turnaround. It's only two months data, and the actual unemployment rate remains very low at four point one percent, so we can't read too much into it. The next big economic news is on Wednesday next week when the inflation figure that may will be released.
Speaker 13: And in company news.
Speaker 41: Today, the National Australia Bank have been fined for breaking the government's consumer Data Rights laws. These laws give customers the right to share their data between the banks and also between energy providers, so that the customer may in the end actually end up with a better deal. But NAB didn't disclose or didn't accurately disclose their customer's credit limit data on four separate occasions and that has cost them seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars in fine. That's the biggest fine in fact for breaking the consumer data rights laws so far, and unfortunately it's not really a big deal for a company like NAB who made over seven billion dollars in profits last year. Nabshares are up today, they've been for fifty cents. They are at thirty nine dollars twenty one and all of the major banks have improved today. And there's been some very big news from a very small Australian biotechnology company called Amplier Therapeutics. They have been trialing a treatment for the pancreatic cancer, particularly advanced pancreatic cancer, and this morning they have announced that of the fifty five patients that are enrolled in their trial, they have now had two patients who have actually had what's called a complete response. That's where there's the complete disappearance of all tumor legiance for at least two months. So that's very encouraging that they may be onto something. The average survival time for people who have been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer is only three to three and a half years, but it's still early days. Nevertheless, shares in Amplia have shot up nearly one hundred and fifty percent today. They've increased from eight cents up to twenty cents a share. The broader market isn't performing quite as well as that, I wanst the banks are generally stronger, but again, the declining iron ore price has seen BHP for another sixty cents, and Rio Tinto are down by two dollars twenty and that leaves the all lords off five points. We're at eighty seven hundred and fifty four.
Speaker 1: Sign it eight seventy five four. Thank you, Oe will talk to you tomorrow. Thanks so much. Cheers bowe, chees mate, thank you, have a good day. I'm a big no to changing speed limits, says Dave, stopped dropping all these road speed I think you're a yes. Actually to go in our police forty k is now too slow? Yes, says Gay too slow. This one from Brenda and Brendan without knowing too much. Containment isn't so much giving up, is it. We can't eradicate the flu, but we can contain it spread through certain measures. Yeah, thanks, Brendan. I'm with Karen Chapman with Wolgor on this one. We've got to keep trying to eradicate it. It's a high stakes game, and I appreciate your thoughts. But if it you know, that's that's how it got into the state in the first place. But its not being you know, came in through furniture. I think coming to the port through some wooden furniture. So it wouldn't take a lot to get it to spread further. I know of anecdotally. I hear that people often take their garden refuse to tips in places like Northern and York, take them out of the metro area there, tipping fees less expensive out there, so they do take garden waste and garden rubbish out to places like York and normal and that's how this may spread. That might get into the hills, into the peri urban areas like York, places in the city of Swan potentially get out into the stone fruit orchards and potentially down south into the avocado orchards, which we don't need. But I appreciate your thoughts, mate, Good on your one double three eighty two eighties. The question is forty k is now too slow? The yeses are ninety two and the nose eight. What do you reckon, Bruce? Forty k now? Is it too slow? Is it warranted in some places?
Speaker 45: Look, I think it's warranted through school zones without a doubt. But it is too slow in normal suburban streets. And one of the reasons is big And I know there's a dying we're dying up. But people that drive manual cars, forty kilometers is in between third and fourth maybe or second, and sometimes you need a little bit of acceleration to avoid an accent rather than slow speeds. So it's in that area where if you go to hit the accelerator, it'll die because it'll stall all flood itself.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I hadn't heard that. Good thoughts from you. Thank you Bruce, it's twenty six and a half minutes parts of midday.
Speaker 45: As you've heard, the Cornana Freeway continues to be closed southbound at Ankletel Road in Wandy. Traffic diversion is in place via Ankletel Road exit ramp. Incident response and emergency services are on site. You've got a breakdown on Nicholson Road southbound at Row Highway in Langford. The left hand lane has closed there and traffic slow on approach and a truck roll over on Great Eastern Highway. Boat directions from Doe Conning Road to Old Northern Road. Incident response and emergency services on site. I'm Bruce Welsh on six PR.
Speaker 1: You can fonus today and I do have a musical question for you. It was on this day in nineteen forty two that Marilyn Monroe, she's only sixteen, normal gene. Of course, she married her first husband, Jim Doherty. You may remember the song written by Bernie Taubyn and Elton John good Bye.
Speaker 15: I never knew you are you had the waste to sell those around you.
Speaker 1: Absolute timeless, classic bit of kit banger John Absolute banger, complete banger, slow banger, Slow complete slow banger so we're asking the question today. Songs about real people, Songs about real people. Give us a call phone Sean phone and phone mark one double three eight eighty two. The empire builds out there, John, good Season, more and more people. Songs about real people will come back to your calls in just a moment. Let's take pause and go to our newsroom here at six PR Good afternoon, John Nichols, thank you.
Speaker 23: Simon, Good afternoon. Emergency services have been at the so end of a truck roll over east of Perth in the Waterloo area that happened on Great Eastern Highway near Old Northern Road about a quarter past days. Believed to be laden with diesel, caught fire. One person has critical injuries. State government says it's lost the battle to eradicate an invasive insect pest and we'll focus instead on controlling its spread. The prolific a shothold borer, was discovered in Freemattle in twenty twenty one. Since then, it's affected more than four thousand trees that we know about. Australia's unemployment rate has come in at four point one percent for May. The number of people in work is down slightly. WA's rate is three point nine percent, which is below the national figure, and that's down from four point two last month. West Coast Eagles youngsters Luca Gregor, Tom Gross and Hamish Davis have signed one year contract extensions on top of their initial two year draft agreements. Gross has already played six AFL matches and Davis four twenty degrees at the moment, showers today down to thirteen overnight rain tomorrow increasing with the maximum of twenty one more.
Speaker 1: News at one. Thank you very much, John, John, you have a song about a real person.
Speaker 23: I do, and it's a song about a real person sort of. The Beatles went to India to study stuff with the Maharishi.
Speaker 1: Stuff yeah, sitar and like.
Speaker 23: They weren't quite sure what they were in for, and they didn't quite come out of it one hundred percent converted, especially John Lennon, who thought the wol was being pulled over people's eyes, and he thought he'd write a nasty song about the Maharishi. He didn't want to get sued, so for some reason he decided because the syllables scanned properly, they did call it sexy Sadi.
Speaker 1: Wow, didn't know that sexy.
Speaker 33: What have you done?
Speaker 1: You made a fool of everyone.
Speaker 43: You made a fool of.
Speaker 1: Everyone, John, I knew to sign. I didn't know it was about the Maharishi.
Speaker 23: They write a lot of songs for the White album in India and that would have been one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we would love to hear from you today. It gives called one double three A eighty two. We just before we go to our callers, Jim will go to this, We've got to Nichols Niche.
Speaker 40: And now the fourth most talented musician in his family, newsreader extraordinary for veyor of gondiments and small goods while watching the Bath. First one thousand wearer of a beetle shirt every Friday, but named his pug after David Bowie, lover of Volkswagen golfs and peak spokesperson for the Madagascar radiated tortoise community. It's John Nichols presenting Nichols Niche.
Speaker 1: Thanks and beautifully done.
Speaker 25: John.
Speaker 1: What do you have for us this week?
Speaker 23: Well, a lot of people like to have a little bit of a hobby. They like to have a little business at home. And here's one dentistry in the Czech Republic called Zecki, a twenty two year old fake dentist and a couple of assistants have been charged after they treated dozens of patients and then went entirely qualified that used instructions they found on the internet. Now, I don't know if you've ever had root canal treatment. Yes, it's fairly complex.
Speaker 1: It's complex and incredibly painful and important.
Speaker 23: Anyway, this chap, apparently without the necessary professional knowledge, opened a surgery without a license. He extracted teeth, he performed root canals, He applied anesthesia, all from stuff he basically googled. He and his he and his assistance could face up to eight years in prison. Please don't say, were there any of the patients actually complained?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 23: Yeah, so you know he was doing this for a while. He did a good job, probably didn't charge.
Speaker 1: How what did you say?
Speaker 23: It was twenty two?
Speaker 1: Good on him.
Speaker 23: Yeah, So once he gets out he could have a future.
Speaker 1: Brilliant.
Speaker 23: Now, there's an asteroid that was discovered in December, and it's not heading for the Earth, but it could hit the Moon in twenty thirty two. And if you like meteor showers, then you can look forward to this happening possibly in twenty thirty two. Because there's a small chance that this asteroid will whack into the Moon and it will throw up hundreds, possibly millions of tons of stuff, and it's got to go somewhere. There's not much gravity on the Moon, so it's just going to head out and some of it's going to head out towards us, and it'll hit us, possibly in the form of a great, big metea or a shower, which will be spectacular. Yeah, but it could also knock out a lot of our satellites.
Speaker 41: Yeah.
Speaker 23: So it's going to come past us in two yeah, before twenty thirty two, so we can have a bit of a squiz and then work out have a better idea where it's actually going to end up. But it could create the sort of crater on the Moon that a big meta or created on Earth back in nineteen hundred and eight. There this crater about one kilometer in diameter, so you know, we might even be able to see it from here.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, maze, that's something to look forward to.
Speaker 23: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 23: A duck has been caught speeding on traffic in a Swiss town and a lot of people think it's a hoax. The Mallard, a wild kind of duck, was snapped on radar images clocked at fifty two in a thirty zone. Imagine what our listeners would think of a thirty zone. And authority say the duck was likely a repeat offender. There have been other images of a similar looking duck in the same spot doing the same sort of speed flying. Yeah, oh yeah, it wasn't running.
Speaker 1: No, we're driving a vehicle.
Speaker 23: Yes, oh that's fun.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 23: And you may have heard this one about Ozzy Osbourne.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't.
Speaker 23: He wants a little bit of publicity because he's about to perform on the Final Black Sabbath Show. Ozzie hasn't performed since twenty eighteen. You know, he's generally not a well bloke for various reasons. Now there's I had not heard of this iced tea company. But if you sold iced tea, would you call it liquid Death?
Speaker 30: No?
Speaker 23: Anyway, apparently it's popular. So the Liquid Death iced tea people provided Ossie with ten cans of their product. He'd rank it, and the cans have now been sealed and put up for sale for seven hundred and fifty sorry, four hundred and fifty American.
Speaker 1: Dollars because they have his DNA on the cans exactly.
Speaker 23: And the theory is that maybe, apart from just the thrill of having something that Ozzie Osborne has drunk from, the idea is that some stage, if the laws allow it, you might be able to clone Aussie.
Speaker 1: Justin Madron.
Speaker 31: If you could bring back early eighties Aussie, you can mow your lawn, perform at kid's birthday parties, or anything you want.
Speaker 1: Or anything you want.
Speaker 23: Yeah, so that's a nice bit of nice bit of publicshy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Ossi and what unn you? John? Thank you very much, mate, you for Nicol's niche and thanks for the info on sexy Sad. I didn't know that songs about real people. Twenty minutes to one o'clock. You can call us one double three a thirty two my win call of the day. We should double pass to go and see the terra Cotta Chinese Warriors. They here from June the twenty third, so during the twenty eighth, in fact, Dune the twenty eighth right through until February of next year. How good, get a.
Speaker 14: Chris, You're great? How are we going?
Speaker 30: All right?
Speaker 35: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good mate? Thank you for hanging on. What's your song about a real person?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 35: Well, I've got a couple of them.
Speaker 8: You got Vincent by Don McLean's an absolute.
Speaker 17: Corker, and Mona Lisa and that King Club.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, nice mate, Well, thank you mate. We will go that's like the second one. We'll go with the first one.
Speaker 15: Now, I understand what you try to say to me, how you suffered for your sanity, how you tried to set them free. They would not listen, They did not know how.
Speaker 30: Perhaps the Ellsten.
Speaker 1: Thanks Chris good one mate, same artist? Did I? Tony? Yeah, there's dom plan American Pie? Yeah? And who are the real people?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 1: God holly, yeah, all right, thanks mate. The plane crash thing Jeers Tony domc clain again.
Speaker 30: There's something touched me deep inside the day.
Speaker 37: The music.
Speaker 30: Die So Fine by Miss American Pie, droll my Chevy.
Speaker 1: Do the Levy any very good?
Speaker 41: Could I?
Speaker 1: Vic?
Speaker 18: Hey you go mate?
Speaker 1: Good mate? Song about a real person or people.
Speaker 8: Jesus cribed Superstar very good, Vick, wasn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't real person? I remember I've been your right hand man all along.
Speaker 24: Pretty good, Vig.
Speaker 1: You have songs about real people. It is the day that normal Jean, as she was known then before she became Marilyn Rote Monroe. She got married on this day at the age of sixteen to her first Hobby good A David hollo By, Yes.
Speaker 44: Please are the Pity one or nine by Jimmy Dean's about Jonath Kennedy.
Speaker 19: Is it really nineteen sixty one?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't know that, Dave. That's good. Good, No, I didn't know.
Speaker 11: That's good.
Speaker 1: It's good, isn't it? Mate? Thank you? Cheers? Is it right? That's right, jim That is right?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what Davids.
Speaker 28: Sannah in the street beyond Naro adapt destroyer in the name, got the one old man and the two.
Speaker 1: Spuck and fire upon the scene every where. The look was the end of me the hea then gods aboard depended the.
Speaker 23: Best of them a good man.
Speaker 1: Eighteen minutes to one o'clock, songs about real people are keeping coming. We've got Jimmy the genius back on the keys today. Will be with a cast on his wrist, broke his scaffhoid, that little bone between your thumb and your wrist, after going a little bit tropole and the oh yeah yeah, such a such a big break for a small little bone. Yeah, what are we doing?
Speaker 12: I was watching a band called Private Function from Melbourne and the crowd go a little bit excited and down I went when they went my way.
Speaker 1: Right and you broke your wrist. Broke my wrist? Yeah, all right, Well you're glad your back mate. It's nice to have your back. And how Max if you listening, did a mighty job, young fella good I Gary.
Speaker 19: Good, I Simon and welcome back Jones. A my one about an American outlaw called Ringo, not the Ball and interestingly sung by a guy called was actually a narration really by a guy called long grown small fous Bonanza.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, thanks Gary, cheers, I remember law Green.
Speaker 4: He was a.
Speaker 1: Patriarch of the that's right, the family in Bonanza. Yeah yeah, thanks Gas. Good on you.
Speaker 2: That night I saved the life of Ringo. I nursed him till the danger passed. The days went by, he meant it fast, and then from dawn till setting sun he practiced with that deadly gun an hour and hour I watched in awe. No human being could match the draw Ringo a real person, do we know?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 24: I can't confirm that one day.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, get Brad Mark Poorly Graham, Darren Stay, there. I've got a reasonably reasonably confident Darren will come up with some death thrash, heavy metal thing that no one's ever heard of. Stay listening that bloke there, Oliver, that's sir John John LOSTI Diesel as his stage named Minter Scarboro High School. How good is that song? That's such a good song, very good? How good is rugby league?
Speaker 24: So good?
Speaker 9: That was one of the greatest origin of all time. Genuinely edgy your seat, Queensland to fight all the odds. I blame Paul Gallon for this because on the show when We're at Crown on Tuesday, he said this was the start of a dynasty. It was mate, You've only won one game and that's right, you lost. So I was telling you last week. Head wanted Queensland to win. Heart wanted New South Wales. I'm for the sake of the game. I'm glad it's one.
Speaker 1: All going to see. Yeah, it was really good and we had we had a good old time. Nice to spend some time with Amy Peterson. She enjoyed with you. He's a cracker. Absolute a lot better than me, isn't she. Yeah, she's lucky, absolutely really well. The mate, well we go go back to our quarters in just a moment on songs that are about real people. Spoke to Mike mccannon from up to stadium this morning, Ollie second biggest take in history food and beverage wise, stadium only surpassed by the AFL Grand Final. So for those people are considering whether it is a business getting involved in, like some of the big hitters in town, it probably is. How it is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and you see how many people came to the game last night from beyond the metropolitan area, and a lot of people traveled. Bruce was catching up with them outside the Jacob Caravan Lamobile studio from all parts of the state and obviously beyond.
Speaker 1: Evteen thousand visitors. They reckon.
Speaker 9: Well, some of the first people we met with Victorians. He think, hold on, yeah, you haven't got a you know that bloat.
Speaker 1: You gave tickets to who parked at Belmont and ran over the bridge, so good.
Speaker 9: Jayden Jaden was the second, the first Troy Troy Troy ran across the bridge. But when Jayden heard us, he was in Fremantle, so he drove from Frio to get the tickets and then drove up to Journal up to get Jayden Jr. And hopefully you made it back. The only other thing was the traffic last night was UNBELIEVABLEX level and next level for what should usually take Aimy, for example, twenty minutes to two hours to get to the stadium.
Speaker 1: So well, it's hard because those buses don't run midweek.
Speaker 9: But when you got a full you know, for sixty thousand people trying to move to the stadium unless you're on the train or getting a private transfer, a taxi, an.
Speaker 1: Uber, traffic apocalypse. What's on your show today?
Speaker 9: The budget's being handed down by the Treasurer of Retasafioti in about an hour or so's time, so we'll have a chat to her. We'll also get some reaction from the shadow Treasurer of Sandra Brewer. And your mate Trevor Long is going to join us today, so you can bring all your technology questions to his attention.
Speaker 1: And when only a little bit of.
Speaker 9: Rugby league isn't enough, we've got the Knights of the Dolphins on Saturday, and we've got some tickets to give away to that today.
Speaker 1: Nice and the fact that you.
Speaker 9: Might be able to get yourself a little bit of Bears merchandise yeah, got the game.
Speaker 1: Will with the way league state of orders and operates, will a lot of those players be rested this weekend, so we'll hammer back it up for the Dolphins, Oh, he might because he's here.
Speaker 9: But for example, Nathan Cleary will not play this weekend because they're going to New Zealand, so too far away.
Speaker 1: I reckon the Panthers didn't realize he was injured last night.
Speaker 23: I know he might be a bit of strife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could tell. Yeah, And what about if you do go and see the Nights and Dolphins on the weekend. You'll see your favorite player and Katoa oh, go around the twenty year old.
Speaker 9: He so Andrew John's again the other day that the sports about reckons. This guy is a generational talent.
Speaker 1: That's how good he is.
Speaker 9: And if Andrew John's are saying that about a young fella, then turn up and watch it on board.
Speaker 1: Absolutely what I wonder five. That's Amy Peterson's husband there. Hello, Amy, if you're listening today.
Speaker 20: Brad Okay, I got Hurricane by Bob Yes, Ruben card.
Speaker 14: And the boxer convicted the murder because it was black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent, good good choice mate, great movie, great song. We done.
Speaker 3: Kill him.
Speaker 1: Here comes a story of the.
Speaker 40: The Manes came.
Speaker 1: Two songs about real people. Marilyn is today that normal. Jean was married when she was sixteen. Songs about real people. Cannon, the wind, et cetera. Goday Mark.
Speaker 42: The song It's not a plane crashes.
Speaker 20: I think actual playing went missing, but it's called Glenn Miller is missing.
Speaker 1: Who's the artist? Is rock follies? Rock follies? Rock follies? That a person?
Speaker 24: Whether there are super grew a girl band?
Speaker 1: Yeah, girl band?
Speaker 25: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I make thank you mate? Never heard it? Here we go, Sam the sky, Where's play? Used to fly?
Speaker 29: Peez miss his back?
Speaker 1: Sunb Well we a little bit different, there isn't it. Glenn Miller is missing? Thank you? Marked?
Speaker 32: Paul Simon, Carlie Simon, You're so vain allegedly about Warren Bady.
Speaker 5: Neither concerned or denied, but.
Speaker 18: Yeah, probably is.
Speaker 1: You're right, never confirmed or denied, but allegedly spot on well explained pauorlie, have a good day, mate, Here we go and the girl's dream that they be.
Speaker 40: Your partner, They be your partner your So.
Speaker 30: You probaly think this song is about your soul?
Speaker 1: Do you think this song cheers by good day Graham. What do you got mate?
Speaker 16: Oh and your listeners.
Speaker 44: I've got happy birthday, Helen, weddings, parties, anything, who's Helen Hell? I'm pretty sure it was Helen Raiser and she used to be a presenter on Triple J back in the ninety Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with Mikey Robins. Wow, okay, yeah yeah, happy birthday. I didn't know that you're giving that the thumbs up. That is right, that's true. Yeah, yeah, well what I'm confirmed by Jimmy the genius on the keys Graham, thanks mate.
Speaker 33: The voice in Ma.
Speaker 3: Whispers compassion, Happy birthday.
Speaker 1: That's nice song about Helen Raiser. That's very very nice. Can I Darren.
Speaker 42: Today?
Speaker 33: Mate? I heard that little subtle intro?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 33: Can I have a bit more of an intro like my missus gives me when I come home with a bit more place that time I'll.
Speaker 1: Do as and now, lazy gentlemen, a great expense of the management, Darren bye.
Speaker 33: Yeah, I love it, love being that. Yes, I've got I'm black, black and lawless from what's singing the real me and it's about himself.
Speaker 1: It's about himself.
Speaker 33: Yeah, all right, do a lot of got the wash songs are about him and his own personal stuff that he's gone through.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, all rights, ladies and gentlemen. That was Darren.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks. So we recently had a bloke from a bloke from Spy Versus Spy, didn't we and he was singing sight he he's got this song about use your head Chris, Ma, Chris, help me, lead singer Spy Versus Spy come back to me just a second.
Speaker 10: Good ay, Sasha, Yeah, mate, errol by Australian crawl.
Speaker 1: Unreal, great choice mate, great song, well done, Thank you mate, good your Sasha, very very good choice mate, outstanding? How good? How good Australian call? How good was guy? I'm a donna. We'll come back in just a moment. Craig blocks them. We spoke to he was the lead singer and bass player from Spy Versus Spy. Used my Head was about him being a hopeless, hopeless joke. We'll come back in just a moment. Let you know how Yes, no pop has gone and we'll let you know who's one. Call of the day, Happy Birthday Helen was by things of stone and wood, not waddows. Thank you for the correction. Appreciate that caller of the day, today's Bob ranging about the bustled and Jennie, Bob, we's giving you a double pass again and see the Terra Cotta Warriors, Mate, the Chinese Warriors when they hear from during the twenty eighth right through to February. And I think given your interest in jetties, Bob, you'll probably enjoy that. Thank you mate, Thanks with funny and thanks everyone recording today made the show hume along like it did our Yes No Question Today was is forty kilometers an hour too slow? Given the trial in the city of Stirling and those streets through haring up, the yes is stormed in today, Yes was one hundred and three and the nose of eleven. Thanks for your thoughts. As always, we'll be back tomorrow morning at nine o'clock. The Friday edition Sport with Glenn Jakovich, Barsy Spurnouts with Lisa Barns and of course Murph's Magical Mystery Tour Chris Murphy in the studio rolling on. Thanks seea