Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now it is hard to believe that in twenty twenty five, men are still struggling to talk about their mental health issues. So joining us this morning is Gus Woland, who is a fabulous broadcaster but also the founder of Gotcha for Life Foundation. Welcome to the show, Gus, Well.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for having me on. Guys, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Now, these stats aren't good, but we understand that nine people take their life in our country every single day, and seven.
Speaker 1: Of them are men. It's incredible, isn't it. Seven men a day, two women a day, and a staff that people don't talk about a lot is that one attempts every eight minutes in this country. So and you put all those sort of stats together, you can understand why it's just so sad and it's so shocking. And when I say those stats when I'm doing my talks, people google them because they can't quite believe them, because they just can't believe in this country that that would be the case. But we're certainly not on our own. Lots of other countries is exactly the same. And that's why I got your for Life and Chemists warehouse with their supp orders out there working on prevention of suicide, and I think that's where we really need to focus. That prevention is the key, and we need to build the emotional muscle up of all of these boys, girls, men and women and everyone else to make sure that they don't worry alone, that they have enough emotional muscle to stick their hand up and ask for help. Gus, being a wife and also a mum to a teenage son, what is a way that we can get men to open up? As you've just said, yeah, I mean it's just just try, try and try again. I don't know. Kids are very difficult at times, depending on their age and their personalities. But if they feel that they can talk to mum and dad or someone a little bit older about absolutely everything, then you've really done the trick. That's the main thing. Whether it's yourself and sometimes mums and dads have to take ego out and go, well, it's not going.
Speaker 3: To be me.
Speaker 1: It might be the godparent, or it might be a teacher or a coach, or it might be a friend of yours. As long as they're talking to somebody about the stuff that's really important, that's really is the key. And I do find it that there that parents are a bit vulnerable. The more likely the kids are to think, oh, it's okay not to have all the answers, it's all right to bumble and fumble around a little bit. And that really is an absolute key thing for parents to make sure that you don't come across it you've got all the answers all the time, because it's at such a standard for your kids to try to live up to.
Speaker 3: Gus terribly to talk to you, and I just need to let you know that the last time I had a Gus wall and hug my ribs, my ribs are almost better. Thank you, congratulations for these men's care boxes. Now these are available at Chemist's Warehouse. But it is a really meaningful way of helping the organization Chemist's Warehouse fund the amazing work that gotcha for life. Does I mentioned this? I do a lot of public talking and I mentioned this all the time. It's a very simple way. It's not clinical, it's right down to earth and it basically summarizes with the work you do, the average person's view on where we're going, as in, reach out for help if you want to. No one's going to laugh at you, no one's going to make fun of you. But one meaningful way that we can all contribute is just go and buy a men's care box. All it needs is your photo inside. But they might frighten people the worst.
Speaker 1: Exactly. I got the thank you letter that yeah, that the photo was not what we're after, but no, you're right. Chemist ware House have been our biggest supporter when we started nine years ago. And these care boxes, which you can get online at at chemist warehouse dot com dot au. They're twenty dollars, so buy one for a man in your life, whoever that may be, and there's one hundred and fifty dollars worth of value. So absolutely there's a gellet shaver in there that worth twenty bucks in its own right. So it's really not about the box. It's more about if you buy the box or send the box to someone, what a conversation can start off the back of that, to go, hey, I thought of you. You're a man in my life that I care for or deeply respect or whatever it might be. We're not having enough of these what I call conversations of gravity. We're really good just chat chat, chat about banter, whether it's work or wether or the stuff that we practice, But let's start having some conversations, get a little bit deeper, not bursting into tears every five minutes or having big, deep and meaningfuls, but to be able to start a combo. And this box is a really good start to say, hey, buddy, I love you. Hand it over, have a bit of a look through it, and then perhaps that starts a conversation which may be exactly what your friend or person you care for needs.
Speaker 3: Thank you to those companies gus So, Souk and Laurel Gillette. They are firmly supporting this gift box and anytime you buy a product, five percent of that also goes to.
Speaker 1: Gotcha for Life.
Speaker 2: And I've also got a shout out to the Matschip bands as well. My friend Irene brought one for me where we were at the checkout at chemist Warehouse and I'm proudly wearing mine this morning. I wear every day so I think of my mate, and I also think of you every day. Gus So, thank you so much for everything that you do. You can check out got YOUA for Life and also head to chemist Warehouse dot com today you to buy one of those men's care boxes. Thank you so much. Joining us this.
Speaker 1: Morning, putting get more three kind of people than you guys, So thank you for your support and big hugs to all of you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: My ribs are almost coming back with more next on the House of Wellness.