S1: A listener production.
S2: Only do what we wanna know rules. Yeah. We're gonna gonna stay ish. Where do you wanna go? Where do you wanna go?
S3: Hi. Welcome to Beineix. Yes, the podcast where we don't wake up like this. No, but you are looking really, really good today, am I? Yeah. You need to trademark this hairstyle. Yeah. My, um, non-surgical brow lift. Pull back. Yeah. Every. Every day since I said to you that this is your best hairstyle yet. You've had this hairdo. I know, and I think people think I don't shower because I'm, like, keep wearing this hairstyle. So I think everyone's getting really confused. I think I need to sort of change it up a little bit. It's a good hack though, right? Dirty hair, snatched face and you look hot. It hides your extensions. Yes. Oh, actually, I'm struggling today. Oh, yeah. There's a little bit poking. Had 20 minutes to get into the studio. You're looking good, babe. You're looking good. Yes, sir. But we absolutely did not wake up like this, did we? No, we did not. We did not. But I want to talk about our birth stories. Yeah, because we've got a great guest on today. We have. And I actually don't know your birth stories. Do you not know? How do you not know my birth story? I don't know, I think because when we were. I know, I think we're just trauma. I've had too many babies. Too many. Yeah. I think every time I saw you, like I'm pregnant, I'm pregnant. I'm having a baby. And then again and then again and then again. Yes. Well, it's funny, I think, uh, with Oscar my first, who's now 13, I actually had that Hollywood movie experience where in the middle of the night, you stand up and your waters break and they gush all over the floor. It was that you had that I had that. Oh my God. Does anyone have that? No. No one. I feel like everyone's going in and getting their waters broken. Yeah, or they're overdue. So I was 39 weeks pregnant to the day. Wow. And Oscar was unplanned. He was, um. He was an okay stay, day baby had a had a, uh, at the Melbourne Cup carnival. There's a day called Oaks Day. So you go to the races. I had one too many champagnes. Got a little bit carried away. Surprise. I found out I was pregnant with Oscar the day before my hen's party. Oh. That's torture. How do you hide that? Oh, well, I had a stunt glass of champagne throughout my wedding. But how's this? So I told my besties the day before and we were planning this awesome hens. And yeah, they were so disappointed. Instead of being like, oh my God, because it's the first baby in the group. So Oscar is the first grandchild on both sides and the first baby. Out of all of my friendship groups, I think I was 27 at the time and they were all just so disappointed. No one was happy for me. They were appalled. Their jaws were on the floor like, what have you done? It's your hens party tomorrow. It's your wedding. You're an idiot. Yeah, I would have been devastated if you told me you were pregnant before you had. I'd be like, really? It was the most boring hen's party I've ever been to in my life. So, yeah. fast forward to 39 weeks. The waters broke and I got up and I'm looking. I'm like, what is this? I was having little cramps and I thought I needed to go number twos. So I stood up to walk to the toilet. In hindsight, who needs to do a poo at 2 a.m. in the morning? Yeah. No, no. No one. No. It was a cramp. It was like labor pains. And then. Yeah, the gush all over the carpet. Does it feel like you're weeing or just feels like you're leaking? Okay. Like, you know, like when you ovulate like that. Yeah. Yeah, that a lot, but a lot. And it keeps and this is the other thing. So I put on some trackies and called the Labour ward and I said, yep, come in. You're on here. So I put on I vividly remember there were these country road tracksuit pants. I popped them on and I was saving them for that day. For that day. Pop them on. Got in the car. What happens when your waters break? They do not stop breaking. It's not like you have a gush and it's done. Yeah. You keep oozing until the baby comes. Oh, yeah. So by the time I get to the hospital, my pants are soaked down to the ankles. Straight in the bin. Oh, no. So what did you walk in? Did you have, like, a backup plan to, like, walk in? Not nerdy Rudy down the bottom. No, I just walked in, like, with saturated pants. Oh, yeah. Like, it was clearly my first time doing it. No experience. So I should have put a pad in. Yeah. Yeah. Had backup pants or a towel or something. Yeah, yeah, yeah. But he was pretty run of the mill. I had an epidural. He came out. Um, I needed a little bit of assistance. I think it was a vacuum extraction, but not too. Not too bad. Yeah. Didn't really feel much, but. God. Afterwards. The pain when the epidural wears off like full fire. Fanny. Hang on. But this is after you have the baby. Yeah. So I didn't feel anything when he was coming out. Love. Epidural. Loved it. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Seamless. But I'm all. I'm pro intervention. I'm like, yep. Give me that needle. Give me that treatment. Give me this. If it's going to help I'm like more is more. Just do it all. Yeah. But after it wore off, I could not sit down like I'm sitting now. I could not sit on my bottom for two weeks. I had to lie on my side and prop myself up on my elbow. So much so that my elbows were bruised. Yeah, yeah, it was like, imagine your bits on fire. It was like that for two weeks. Nah. Then by the time Billy came, my second, second one, it just flew out. It flew out? No fire, Fanny, no Panadol. Just like you know what I think? I think it's like that memory. You've thought of the worst and you've been in the worst pain, and you kind of expect it for the second time. So then when you do have the next baby, it's that pain's not there because you've expected the worst, so it's never as bad. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And it was fine. All your pregnancies though, like during your pregnancies were fine. Like you didn't have I was so lucky with the first two. And then. And then bom bom bom bom and then the twins. How long have we got on this episode today? I feel like this is. She's got so many a whole series. So then the twins came along. So when I went to my first check with the twins, you know, so with whenever I'm pregnant, I don't know if you're the same, Ehm, but the husband comes or the partner comes to the first scan and then you see the heartbeat, and then after that I just always go to the scans by myself. So we go into the first scan and I just felt a bit off and I had no morning sickness. I was so lucky with the older two. I had really bad morning sickness and I just, I don't know if I'm psychic or I just had this weird energy. I'm like, something is so off with this pregnancy. And I went in and I said to my obstetrician, I'm like, oh, can you just check there's not two in there? This is really weird. So I'm in there with Chris and he scans me and he has a good old look around. He goes, nah, it's only one baby. Like, phew, okay. Because this one feels different. All right, so we leave. Okay. So we're having our third baby. All good. I went back for a routine scan by myself without my husband. Four weeks later, and I'm looking at the screen as he's doing a scan, and there's, like, this blob up in the corner. And I said, what's that blob up there, Lynn? And he zoomed in on the blob, and as he zoomed in, the blob miraculously turned into a baby and it moved. And it was like a wave. Like it's like I'm gonna make your life a living hell. And it's been a living hell ever since. No. Just kidding. I'm kidding. No, just. The pregnancy was tough. It was hard. Yeah. The whole last eight years has been tough. Just kidding. I remember watching you pregnant with the twins. Oh, my God. And you were just. I remember you rocking up to school, and your tummy would be out to here on my stick legs, on your stick leg and you just struggling to move. And I remember looking at going that poor bitch like. And then you also think, are these babies like the same gestation because there's a thing called superfetation twins. Yes. Where which is what I only had with Jagger, which is I was pregnant and then got pregnant while being pregnant. What? How much sex are you having, girl? So. And then. So when I was having my 12 week scan with my third, they were like, oh my God. And this is the sonographer. I was like, what? She goes, oh, did you have really high levels of HCG? And I go, yeah, huge. I've been so sick. And they go, you've ovulated while being pregnant and then you've had sex again. Yeah, so they said we can't. So then my actual due date changed because I found out I was pregnant and then I had the scan. They couldn't do an internal because, you know, how they don't do internals in the first six weeks of your pregnancy. They like to leave it to the 12th. Yeah. So then when I went back for that scan, they went. That's when they did the internal because I was so sick. I was so sick and I wasn't with the other two. Yeah. And then she goes, oh my God, you've ovulated while being pregnant and you've got pregnant again. So they were trying to work out if Jagger was the first or the second, the second. But that changed the day by eight days. So then so was he the first or the second? He would have been the second. Oh, wow. So anyway. And they said only 14 babies in the world at this is at this time back in 2017 that have been born as superfetation twins where they've been, they've they're gestations are different. You've got pregnant twice. You've got pregnant while being pregnant with the twins. I ended up having to have an emergency caesarean with them, so I had two natural births. So I've gone through the experience of having a caesarean as well. Yeah, and gosh, that I take my hat off to you girls. That was bloody hard. So I have to say, the first you've had the three. I've had three gorgeous kids. Yeah, I've had three caesareans. And because when I was 21, I was pregnant with River and they said I had child bride, child brides, child, bride. And they said I had placenta previa. And with that you can't have a natural birth. So that's when the placenta grows over the cervix. Is that right? Yeah. It's in the way of the birth canal. So you're actually giving birth to the placenta before the baby. So back in the olden days when, you know, mothers would die. Yeah. Giving birth, it's usually because of placenta previa. So I was just so upset because I was, you know, 21. And I thought my body couldn't do what it's naturally meant to be doing. Like. And I really wanted to have, like, this natural birth and, you know, and I thought Kumbaya. Yeah. That Kumbaya. And I thought I failed. No. God, I know, and I know that now. But I remember at the time I was just like, this is the one thing that I could say I can do, and my husband can't, and I still can't. But you know what? Your husband can't have a caesarean either. No you can't. That's true, that's true. So then feed a baby and. Yeah. And grow a baby. No. That's so true. Yeah. Five minutes. That's all we need from them. And we do the rest. Five minutes. But yeah. So I ended up having a caesarean with River. So. So she's your oldest. She's 13. She's 13. Yeah. And and that's how we met. Yes. Because River and Oscar started at school together when they were three years old, and now they're teenagers. Um, and so, yes, I went in and had my caesarean. I was put on strict bedrest from 16 weeks pregnant, could not move for the entire pregnancy. I bled the whole time. Oh, wow. Yeah. It was. I fainted all the time. It was just. Yeah. And then when did you have an elective caesarean? So I had an elective caesarean. How many weeks? I was 37 weeks. They had me quite early because of the bleeding and the constant fainting. 37 weeks is a good gestation to get to. That's like really 37 weeks in four days or five days. Really good for someone who's been on bed rest for that long. Yeah. And I was so over it. So then had River. Even that was a bit traumatic, I think, cause I was so young, I didn't know what to expect. It was fine. Yeah. And then Scarlet was. I just kept fainting with her. The pregnancy just fainted. And Scarlet. No, ten. Now ten. She's ten. And so hers was actually quite textbook caesarean. Had a caesarean with her because I had borderline at this point pre-eclampsia okay. And then I was like super unwell the whole pregnancy. I was like on Zofran I had bloody those patches. Oh you did I remember you had I was like, what are these, those weird things, those weird things that you have for boat sickness and all that. Did you ever, ever eat your placenta? What? No. Like a full. It's a trend. Everyone does it. No it's not. You never, like tried? No. Never thought about it? No. Well, the Kardashians did it. Did they? Yeah, they all did it. Did you do it? I did it. What? I did it. Yep, I did it. Yeah, well, so, River, I was really young, and we actually took the placenta home and buried it under the lemon tree. No way. I didn't understand the whole encapsulation thing. Okay, so you just got the placenta planted, and we just planted it. And did the lemon tree just go bloom and grow and flourished? Look at it. It's still growing. 13 years later. And look at all the lemons. Um, bring some lemons back with the other kids, and you do it again. So with River, I had really severe post-natal depression. Like, really bad. And so when I had my second Scarlet, I was like, I'm going to do everything opposite to how I had River. So I thought I heard that, you know, eating your placenta could help with really severe post-natal depression. So I gave it a go and I didn't lose as much hair. My iron was, you know, normal and you didn't get post-natal depression. Didn't get post-natal depression. But I don't know if it's like mind over matter thinking taking something like a placebo. It was going to make it work. It was that kind of. Yeah. Interesting. The brain is just so strong. Oh, you know, you absolutely trick yourself. Yeah. Constantly. Like on how you can feel and all that. So I think that was that journey I took. So let's bring in Anna Papadakis from opening to life because she encapsulates placentas. So we can ask her all the questions about how it's done and what the benefits are. So welcome. Anna.
S2: Bain. Ish.
S3: Welcome, Anna to varnish. Tell us about your profession and your qualifications.
S4: I've been in the birth world since my twin boys were born, so they were not one yet when I started doula training.
S3: Yeah. Wow.
S4: So I became very. I always kind of have a corporate background and but also a spiritual sort of seeker kind of side bent. My friend was having a doula. I'm like, oh, you have a doula, you've got your personal hairdresser and your this and your that. But we had a little gathering, like a blessing way, and I was like, I can't imagine anything I'd rather do than talk, be at births and talk about birth. So I started doing the training when my boys twin boys were not even one.
S3: What is doula training?
S4: Well, a doula is someone who's present at birth. So it's emotional physical support at birth. Non-medical support. Or I mean, it may be thought of as a lay midwife, like women have been supporting women forever. And it's that someone that knows what you really want and you can trust, and is rubbing your back and encouraging you and supporting you with your agenda at heart. Yeah, they don't have any other agenda but being present to you. And I just love that I became very, very passionate about trusting birth and trusting life that goes along with it, you know, and the attitude of being present no matter what.
S3: I'd love to actually be and see someone else give birth, because it's different when it's yourself, because, you know, you kind of like you're waiting for them to make a sound or are they okay? And am I okay? Are they okay? Exactly. You're kind of you're more stressed in that sense, but like watching somebody else just bring you know, I'm jealous of my husband being able to watch.
S4: Well, your husband probably didn't know what was going on. And often men are really frightened.
S3: Mhm.
S4: And so they're they're kind of lost in their concern and wanting you to be okay. And, and we often have strangers at our birth. So to have someone who really gets to know you. Well we used to you know, it used to be a communal thing where we'd be with our sisters and we'd birth, would be at home, and we would know that very well. So having people you've never met before at your birth who don't know really anything about you. Yeah. Um, is a different thing than having someone who knows you deeply, knows what you long for, that you who you trust. And. Yeah, it's a very intimate thing.
S3: Yeah. Yeah. Amazing. Oh. That's cool. So now you're into encapsulating placenta. So a lot of people do it these days. The Kardashians do it. A lot of celebrities do it. I did it. And it's funny, I did it. My husband organized it all. And, like, I didn't really research on what it did for me. I just was told it was really good and to do it. And I definitely noticed a difference. Um, so what made you go into that? You know, that direction?
S4: I became a trainer of doula, so I was teaching doula training, and I was doing birth education, and I was approached by a woman who was doing trainings in the States, and I attended that training and started encapsulating placentas straight away. I'd considered eating my placenta for my daughter in 2004, and I happened to speak to someone when I was pregnant who said that she froze her placenta and cut it up in little bits and popped it like a pill, because I didn't like the idea of cooking it and eating the whole thing.
S3: I cooked it and ate it. Did you hang on, hang on. Tell the truth, I didn't actually cook Anita. It was actually my sister in law's. And even though I've had the dried, you know, the capsules. Your own. Yeah. My own. My sister in law gave birth to my little nephew. She wanted to cook it and have it in a different kind of form anyway, so they chopped it up. They put it in the wok. They put herbs and spices in it. What herbs and spices are we talking? I don't even know pepper. I get garlic, everything. I think to kind of disguise the taste. And I was just not involved or wanting to do it. I was just like, this is not my journey. I kind of left the room and then when everyone was like sitting down to eat it, well, her and her husband, they're like, well, do you want to have a little try? And then I'm kind of like, I'm always very much, you know, got to do everything once, give everything a go. So I thought, you know what, what's the harm? Like it's been cooked, but then I yeah, it popped in my mouth and ate it. And I was like, oh, it's like garlic, salt and pepper. And now you can say you ate your sister in law's fried placenta. I can literally say that. So what is the process of taking the placenta. Yeah. Until you dry it out.
S4: Yeah. Well, yes, you can just eat it yourself.
S3: How long does it keep?
S4: Well, that's why we dehydrate it. It's actually to preserve. Yeah, it's a preserving process so that you don't have to eat it all in one sitting. Yeah. So, you know, we're kind of making beef jerky, like, we're dehydrating.
S3: Jerky situation.
S4: Yeah, well, a little bit more than that. And also dehydrating. We're trying to preserve as much of the nutrient factor. So cooking, you do lose some of that nutrient factor and you lose volume. So dehydrating it is a way to preserve it. And then you can grind it up and put it into capsules so that you can store it, dose it and keep it, you know, and let it last a little bit longer and be able to have a little bit at a time and take a little bit of that confronting factor out of it.
S3: Yeah. So you offer this service?
S4: I offer this.
S3: Service. Yeah. Okay. So what are the benefits? Sell it to me.
S4: When we're pregnant. And towards the end of the pregnancy, we've got more blood volume and we've got higher hormone levels than at any other time. And all of that is in the placenta. So after we give birth, we have a massive drop in hormones and in blood volume. Basically, what we're doing is like recycling it back into the system.
S3: So what's actually in it?
S4: So what's in it is if you were to design the most amazing antidepressant health boost, those are all the elements in it. So there's a lot of iron. So iron is good for energy and recovery and well-being and mood. There's vitamin B6. There's stem cells.
S3: Yes. Which is we we love the stem cells, the stem cells, the stem cells.
S4: There's there's hormones. So there's, um, estrogen, progesterone and oxytocin. So these.
S3: Are the happy one right.
S4: There. That's the love hormone.
S3: Yeah.
S4: It's the feel good hormones.
S3: I need some more of that before I go home to the kids. Yeah, yeah.
S4: That's right.
S3: I need oxytocin jab. Yeah yeah, yeah. Do you have any placenta capsules on you right now? Do they have human growth hormone in them? Yes. Yeah.
S4: And there's cortisol and there's human lactogen hormones. So that's why it increases breast milk supply.
S3: Okay. So what are the benefits.
S4: So all of those things are energizing. So basically if we go back a little bit of like you lose all of that. So when you lose all of that, you. That's why we have what we call the three day blues. Because your your hormone levels dive.
S3: Yeah. Oh, man. I did not stop crying, crocodile. Like the. That would be sploshing in my pumpkin risotto. I'd be there. I'm so happy. I've just had a baby.
S5: I'm happy. I love him. But.
S3: And then you could. They were so big. It was like a bowl full of tears, and they just would not stop. I actually felt like I was losing my mind. And no one prepared me for those three day baby blues or the. Yeah, I mean.
S4: There's no content. You don't know why you're crying.
S3: No, but. And I kind of felt happy, but bawling my eyes out at the same time. It was like such a headfuck. It was. Yeah, I did that every time I left the hospital because I didn't want to leave the hospital cos I was like, the hospital food is so nice and I've got all these people caring for me. Yeah. And you know what else? This is so weird. But every time I've had a baby, and by the second and the third time, I knew it was coming. But I'd always say to my husband when we left, I think I want to go and work for my obstetrician in his office. Yes, yes. Because I didn't want that connection to end. Yes. Because I had such a and and to his gorgeous midwives, I had such a deep connection, which was obviously there anyway. But I think the hormones are obviously driving that, and I didn't want to lose that. I thought, I'll just train up. I'll be, I'll be, I'll, I'll go and be a midwife and doula. And yes, it's crazy the, the the way the hormones change your thought patterns. And I thought, there's no big life decisions to be made immediately after birth. You've got to wait for everything to settle. because what it does to your personality is wild. So what you lose after giving birth, the capsules that you take, it's it's putting it back in. That's right. And kind of stabilizing, you know, your energy, your iron, your mood, all of that which.
S4: Is helping physical recovery and helping you not to be depleted. Yeah. So you're depleting. You kind of get depleted by the birth process and kind of like the survival process is designed to look after the baby. So when the baby's in you, you're glowing. You've got it all. You know, people say they glow and they feel great and your hair thickens and all of that because all the nourishment is on the system so that it can go through to the baby. But after birth, we lose hair. We lose.
S3: You know, just lost, like.
S4: Because you kind.
S3: Of.
S4: It all goes to the baby.
S3: Yeah.
S4: So we want to replenish the mother in on all levels so that we're not just losing all of our kind of nourishment to support the the baby.
S3: Yeah. I had friends whose teeth fell out when they were pregnant because they weren't getting enough calcium. So the baby takes will take the calcium. And what bones are the highest density of calcium is your teeth. Your teeth, your teeth fall out. Isn't that crazy? That's why in my mind, I'm like. That's why I was craving milk the whole time I was pregnant, right? Yeah. I didn't think of that. Are there any other, apart from humans? Like to animals eat their placentas.
S4: Every mammal eats their placenta. Even vegans. I've seen some footage of, like, monkeys. Chimpanzees like fighting to try and get the other monkeys placenta.
S3: No way is there a black market for people's placentas. Like, do people eat other people's placentas? Oh I did, yeah, but I mean, would people, would people buy someone else's placenta?
S4: I've heard that you can sell your placenta in China. So they've been using bloody.
S3: Should have got the twins one that would have gone for big money. That was such big money.
S4: That's the oldest culture that have been using placenta as not just for post-natal medicine, but for as a medicine for a long time.
S3: What else can you use it for if not postnatal?
S4: It's a blood tonic. It's a strengthening tonic. So for for strengthening right.
S2: Na na na na na.
S3: Name is your company when you are drying somebody's placenta. If you're not actually there at their birth, how's the process? Like is someone giving birth at the hospital? Do you then come in and collect it? Do you have to collect it in a certain amount of hours or days? Like what is the actual process if someone's looking at doing this?
S4: We want the turnaround to be quick. So we're like there are long term benefits, but if we we want to be quick because we want it like straight away within 24 hours, pick it up. Yeah. Um, and then.
S3: So you put it in a bag or like a.
S4: Well most hospitals.
S3: You.
S4: I will arrange a collection.
S3: Okay.
S4: Yep. Um, I'll use couriers or myself or whatever to pick it up in a timely manner. Um, most hospitals have, like a it's considered biohazard because it's medical waste. So because of that, they want to contain it which which is good for your safety as well as theirs. And same with my my safety and your safety are the same. So I'm going to take care of it because I want to take care of me and I'm going to. Yeah. So they have a little they have the most hospitals have buckets with sealed lids. And they've got your little label, you know, you get your sticker with all your dates on it and that gets stuck on it. And that's easy, easy for managing. And so I collect it, I process it and then get the capsules packaged. There's a few things in the package when you send them back.
S3: Yeah. And how long does it take?
S4: Usually within three days.
S3: Okay. And the cost?
S4: Between 4 and $500 approximately. Okay. Yeah.
S3: So we touched on those three day baby blues hormones having babies especially I think having your first baby. Absolutely. It rocked my world. And nobody told me how much of maybe it was like an identity crisis. It's like, who am I? I'm a mom. Am I still my old self? Apart from something like placenta encapsulation, what can we do to help new moms?
S4: Education is really limited. You know, doula training was wonderful because we'd be sitting together with women. It's like, I don't know if you've read the book the Red tent. Have you read that book?
S3: No, but I was telling you, that's what we say when we both when we get our period. I mean, the.
S4: Tents, right?
S3: I'm in the tent. Are you? When she's like, yesterday, I'm like, me too. What time of the day? Yeah. Who is my Alpha? And got it first. We are in sync. Yeah. But yeah. So we're. Yeah, we definitely know about the Red tent.
S4: Yeah, yeah. Because a lot of the focus these days is on snapping back, you know, and people are really, like, admired. She's got a pre-baby body back and she's back at work. And you know, it's great if she looks unaffected by the birth of a baby. And we've really not connecting to the profound spiritual awakening and the changes and the you're becoming, you are becoming a whole new person. And that can evoke a lot of things. It can awaken things. It can activate trauma, gaslight. So if we we need to be sharing these stories, ideally, you know, if I could wish for something for women to be doing sort of. There are things around there like new mother circles and pregnancy circles where people are sharing their stories, how they're feeling and connecting to the bigger picture, rather than the nuts and bolts of what's going on.
S3: Yeah, because at the end of the day, social media, like people can smash a baby out and look great, but it's not. It's not the way. No. With me. So I wrote a book called The Baby Bible, and I shared my experience because being the first person in my family on both sides and in my friendship group to have a baby, no one told me how shit it could be. So I went in there and you kind of see these these Hollywood movies. I had the Hollywood experience. I was telling Jess earlier of the, you know, the waters breaking and the amniotic fluid gushing out. And it was like, okay, this is this is how I this playing out. As per, I thought it would, but no one actually told me that, you know, when they give you when they hand you your baby and then you take your baby home, that sometimes then they might not be a connection there, and you might not be enjoying yourself, and you might be completely bewildered and overwhelmed by the experience, because what you see in movies is, oh, they place the baby in my arms. It was love at first sight. This whole love at first sight. Yes, sometimes it happens. It happened for me with baby three and four, but with my first child it was shock. I remember my obstetrician said I delivered Oscar and he goes, take your baby. And I went, what? He goes, take your baby. And I was like, oh, I've got a baby now. And I had to. I grabbed him and I remember putting him on me and I was looking at him like, oh yeah, what is this? I'm like, it wasn't that ooh.
S5: Love, oh my God. I'm overwhelmed with this incredible emotion.
S3: It was like.
S5: What the.
S3: Fuck? Yeah, what do I do? And then he'd cry and then I'd need to feed him. And being a Type-A personality who micromanages everything, having no idea what I was doing and then thinking, who am I? Completely overwhelmed. No one told me it would be like that. I thought it was all going to be rainbows and beautiful music playing, and it just wasn't. So I wrote about it in my book, and then I tell everyone now who's having their first child, I'm like, it could be really, really shit. Prepare for it to be an identity crisis and for you to not enjoy it. And if you don't enjoy it, it's okay. But you might have the other experience where it is all rainbows and butterflies, because I've had that as well. But I think it's preparing women. I didn't have postnatal depression. I don't think I just was, I just didn't I don't know, it would have been all your hormones just all over the place and just not having that sense of control. And like, I knew what I was doing, being someone who always could manage everything and was good at everything. And your mum was also, I'm really shit at this. And my baby wakes up all night and I can't get him to sleep, and I just sit on the floor trying to get him to shut up because my husband was playing football and I didn't want him to wait. Chris and then Chris would have a bad game because the baby was awake. Chris couldn't care less. He just wanted to be with us. So I'd be trying to shush Oscar, just bawling my eyes out, going, hi.
S5: I'm out of control and this is.
S3: Shit and I hate it.
S4: Yeah, and also, it's not meant to be like this, so I'm feeling like shit, but I'm also feeling like a failure because this isn't how it was meant to be. Yeah. So if, you know, that's great that you're sort of educating people so that they can understand that it can be like that. I think there's bigger romantic fantasies about how you're going to feel, and the love you're going to feel with a new baby than romantic love, the romantic fantasy that you're talking about of, like, I'm in love and everything's wonderful and I just know what to do. And it's it's just easy. That's a fantasy. It's much more complicated and challenging, especially.
S3: With the first baby. I completely agree. Thank you so much for coming in. Learn a lot. Pleasure. Awesome. And if you want to encapsulate your placenta, we can find you at your company. It's called opening to life.
S4: Opening to life. When I was a doula, that's the whole thing. Opening to life and everything it brings.
S3: And now it's like, and what's your Insta? Is it the same at Opening to life? Yes. Amazing.
S4: Beautiful.
S3: Thank you so much, Anna, for coming in.
S4: Beautiful to meet you.
S3: She was great. She was amazing. I wish I'd encapsulated the placenta from my twins. Now knowing just like that placenta was like a super human. Amazing. You would have had that. You'd be. You'd be still eating. I'd still be munching on it. Yeah. And I wouldn't be anemic. I'd be glowing. I'd be all the stem cells would be doing all the stem cell things. Yeah, you'd be looking magical, even though you look magic anyway. But yeah. No, it's so interesting. As I said earlier, like, I took the placenta capsules, but not really knowing or reading the research and what it would do. I kind of just put in my brain on almost like a placebo effect. I was like, this is going to make me amazing, but how amazing that your husband sorted that out for you because he saw the need. Like, that's that's a great move, pal. Yeah, he just won brownie points. Yeah, yeah, yeah. No, but I think that if I do have more babies in the future, it's definitely because I've done it twice. It's something I would continue doing. Yeah. I guess if you ever did have any more babies, you'd maybe consider doing it. Yeah, but I mean, that's a whole nother podcast episode if I can even have babies. Well, I can't have babies. But yeah, if you could talk about that in another episode because, whoa, that's like a week worth of content that is about my future fertility. Yeah, yeah. Or lack thereof. Who knows? Thanks for listening to vanish. That was an awesome episode. Thanks to Anna for coming in. We'll see you next time. See you next time. Bye for now.
S2: Only do what we wanna know. Same ish.