S1: Listener.
S2: Seeqpod acknowledges the traditional owners and custodians of the land in which we are recording this podcast. The Yeolekar Woollen Clan of the Boomerang, who are a part of the Kulin nation. We pay our respects to our elders, past and present, and extend our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.
S3: Welcome to the Kick Pod, a.
S2: Dam with your besties on the stuff that matters.
S4: One. Two.
UU: Three. Four. One. Two. Three. Four.
S5: Hello, hello.
S2: Today team is a very, very good episode. You are going to want to stay tuned. I mean, obviously if you're already listening, it's likely you're here because you are ready to buckle in for this episode. Today we have got on the wonderful Janie Martino. Now, you might have heard Janie on the podcast before she came and spoke on the do I Want Kids mini series on the episode where we spoke about Korea. And then she also came and did a double episode. It was last year now because we were in 2025 where we spoke about navigating difficult conversations, not making assumptions and not taking things personally. So outside of being a very regular podcast guest, Janie actually does a lot of things she does. This is not really her main thing. So Janie is the co-founder of Smiling Mine and is also a amazing coach. Janie has a business called Kintsugi Way and she is also Steph and my personal coach as well. She just has so much wisdom and knowledge, which is why we're so excited about this. And she has also just published two books. So for anyone that has listened to episodes with Janie and wants to learn more. Work with her in some way. These books are a really, really good way to do that. The first one is called The Little Book of Keshiki. I think that's how you say it, which is rituals. And then the second one is the little Book of Goru, which is goals.
S3: And they're so good. And I saw that you and Dalton got started on them at the start of the year, and I ordered them right before the break. And so I quickly messaged her once I ordered it and I was like, I'm about to leave for the river. Maybe don't post it yet, otherwise it'll be sitting at my house for ages. Um, but basically the second I got home, I was like, okay, I'd like to come pick them up now because I was really excited to look at them and they're so amazing. I feel like nearly every year I've bought myself a new kind of daily journal or Morning Journal or something to kind of practice, and whether or not it's my ADHD, I've never really been able to stick to them. Or if I do, it's kind of like, I'll do it for a week and then I'll drop off for like three months and then I'll get back into it or whatever.
S2: I think that's very common sometimes with people with journaling 100%. Especially this time of year. Yeah.
S3: Yeah, totally. But I think what I love about these kind of journals and stuff like that and this the one that I'm speaking about right now is the rituals one, the keshiki, um, where it's kind of like a daily check in Am and PM. I love when it's really prompted. Really simple. Do do love that. Um, and that's what this is. But there's also so much information prior, um, in both the goals and Rituals book. Um, that really kind of sets you up for then what the book entails. So highly recommend both of them. They are incredible. I actually got a few DMs when I posted about it, um, asking. And one person was like, oh my gosh, I recognized Janie's name! I'm so excited for this book because I loved her podcast. So if that's you and you're listening again, you are going to absolutely love this one again. Um, we are talking about careers basically, because at this time of year and we've spoken about this with, um, these episodes to, to start the year is you kind of reflect and decide, I suppose, on what you're doing this year when it comes to comes to relationships, big life things and career is a massive part of that. And whether or not you feel like you're in the right career and the right job, is it fulfilling you, etc. we cover a lot of that and working out your strengths within a role is this job serving me? Is the job. Is it something else? And I think because of Janie's incredible, what she referred to as a yellow brick road of a career, um, she's had a lot of experience in trying different things, finding what feels right, and then moving on when it's not right, and that being totally okay. So I think you're going to get so much out of it, I certainly did. Um, and that's all because the rest of it's cold. So I'm going to go now, but here's our chat with the wonderful Janie Martineau.
S6: Hi, Janie. Hi. How are you? Very good. It's so nice to have you back. I love being here.
S2: And our listeners, the cloud links. They love you. Did you know we call them cloud links? No. Just in case you're looking at me like. What are you talking about? Yeah. Our listeners are our cloud links, and they love your episodes. They were some of our most downloaded. I think one of them actually was our in the top three of the whole year.
S6: Oh my goodness. Wow. Very excited. So thank you for that. No. Well thank you. I've got to work with you. And there are things that we all want to talk about and work through. So I'm glad they're resonating.
S2: And today we have you on to speak all things career. We could not think of a better person to talk to. So thank you for joining us. Sure. Now at this time of the year, it's the start of January. People are starting to think about their job, and maybe they've just had a bit of a break and they're going back and they're possibly thinking about like, am I doing the right job for me? How do we navigate that? And I suppose, how do you know if you are in the right industry or company? I know that's a very big question to start.
S6: With, coming out punching. I like it, I like it. Look, I think the number one thing is how you feel when you're there and it's really about checking in and all the work I've done this year. You know, my number one motto that I want to go into 2025 with is think less, feel more. Because I just think we're so busy, uh, being busy and doing that, we really forget. Even just at moments throughout the day to tune in and and really check in with how we're feeling in our bodies and in our lives. Uh, and are we really in our lives? Um, so that's the first question I'd be asking. Like, am I really in my career and in my work? And when I'm there, am I being present? And when I'm being present, how do I feel? Does it light me up and in the moments it doesn't? Why is that? Then the other important question I think to ask is, is the reason that I mightn't be feeling good to do with the work itself, or is it actually something more to do with me? Because I think one thing I've noticed throughout my career is I often push, I don't like this, this job, or I'm not. I'm not really into this client. And a lot of the time, actually, when I step back, there were things going on for me and I needed to grow or improve in an area that I was actually finding really challenging. And perhaps I was getting negative feedback and I was feeling pretty defensive and down about it. Um, so then that what was actually about me became about the job or the work? Um, so, you know, is there an opportunity to say, is there something going on for me that this gives me the chance to unpack and improve upon, which will only help me across multiple areas of my life? Um, and then the other thing I'd say is, is it about the actual work itself? Is it playing to my strengths? Um, you know, are there is are there components of it doesn't have to be everything, but are there components of it that I really love or is it about the workplace, the environment? Um, and could I unpack the work? Yes, I am playing to my strengths. I am doing what I enjoy, I'm just not enjoying the environment. So they're probably the three things I'd say. Is it me? Is it the work that I'm doing and the tasks and the time? Or is it the environment?
S2: I think that's so powerful. And when when you talk about how do I feel? I mean, obviously that's something that we've worked on. I've been so lucky to work with you a lot on that this year, but it's really hard to do so for people listening and maybe in the day to day there's parts of their roles like I think for a lot of us that we really enjoy and like kind of light us up. And then there's maybe the more admin or whatever it might be stuff that just does not like. Well, for me, admin stuff doesn't light me up. For some people it does. Everyone's different, of course, if people are maybe working on a project that isn't there. Their biggest strength or something that they love. But it's not a huge part of their role. And when they're doing that, they don't feel motivated. How do you kind of which is probably normal. How do you decipher between the maybe the stuff you don't like so much that's just a part of the job? Because then you get to do the big, exciting stuff and that feeling. Yeah.
S6: Um, I would say the best analogy I could give for that is relationships, love. Um, I mean, at some point, once you're going through dating and you become partners and you live together, you're going to have to use the same toilet. Yeah, you're going to have to do jobs you don't like. And there will even be parts of that person that perhaps aren't as exciting or engaging and may borderline border on frustrating. Um, but overall, you feel good when you're with that person and you love that person. And you understand that that's that's part of it. So I think that's what probably what I would say is that what is the weighting in, you know, how much of it is part of the job and part of, you know, moving forward and, and building on skills and foundational and what is it? You know, what part of it is just pervasive? I don't enjoy this, and I'm not actually using my capacity and using my potential. And I think, yeah, it's exactly the same as relationships, you know, am I being my best self in this relationship, even though we have good times and bad times? Um, overall, if I step back, what is actually going on here? So I think, yeah, that's the best way to look at it in my opinion. I think that's the perfect analogy.
S3: As as soon as you said that, I was like, that makes so much sense. Um, and so what about if someone's worked out that maybe it's not the job itself, however, they want to get to get more out of it because they're not 100% happy in the job, but they don't want to quit their job and try and find another company, or try and find another direction. They're still working through that. How can they get more out of their role or the best out of their role?
S6: Yeah, I think that's about actually realizing that there's a lot you can control. Um, you can control how you show up and the attitude and the level of dedication to what you're doing, even if you know, it's not the ultimate dream for you. And doing that allows you to then I think, focus on some other things, which is is there something else in this role or in this company that I could do or work towards while I'm working out what else I want to do or where I exactly want to go? And it might not have to be a big stretch, but is there something I could identify? And maybe it's not advertised, and maybe it's not exactly on the job description, but gives you an opportunity to grow your skills or try something new, but also gives you an opportunity to do something great for the company and your manager, or the person you know and or team that you're working with. And that's great for two reasons. One is because you're being proactive in thinking about others or how you can contribute more to the company, which is always like teams that have worked for me, that have been proactive. I always think highly of them, and I'm always happy to coach because I think, wow, you've actually taken the time to identify like, yes, it's beneficial to you, but you've also told me why it's going to be beneficial to me and or the company. Um, and then I guess sitting down with the appropriate person and actually working out, okay, here's a bit of a plan and here's some goals that I've got and that potentially is out of a review process. Like you don't have to wait. The thing I would say about that is you don't have to wait for formal processes to make some of those moves as well. Um, so yeah, and then working out a bit of a plan and saying, what are the gaps that I have? And then workshopping that with the person and saying, okay, this is this might be a way that I can go and do that. And then it would be looking around and saying, who is someone either at that workplace or within my circle, who might do something similar or who I might be able to talk to? And it doesn't have to be a formal mentor, but talk to to actually find out more. And that even could be someone you don't know. Um, so I've got my middle son just finished year 12. Um, and obviously that's a time when, you know, he's looking for courses. So I had a similar discussion with him and said, what about finding out someone you admire. You don't have to know them or have any connection to them. And go onto their Wikipedia page and just find out what degree they did and what he found by doing that was that some of them did degrees that had nothing to do with what they were doing now. So that then gave him a feeling of hope and inspiration that it's not the end of the world. If you pick something and he doesn't love it, and it's similar. If you have those conversations or look at other people's LinkedIn or profiles outside and say, oh, okay, actually, if you go right back to just after they graduated from university, they might be doing something completely different. So I think that's a really important step to to also realise that the people you might look at and admire and what they're doing now is probably very different.
S2: Yeah, it's so true. And I think what's also so important within that is this the self-awareness, but also the control that that we have. So I think what often can happen in these situations if someone's not happy within their role, maybe because they want more of a challenge or they want other things within their role that they haven't done before, and they want to build on those strengths, but that technically isn't in their role. It can kind of sometimes go two ways. One way is that they leave the company. And then I think from like an employer's perspective, sometimes I think like, goodness me, I wish you spoke to me because we could have made something work. And it's that assumption that, oh, they won't be able to make something work, so I won't ask. But I think second of all is the awareness that you can't. I don't think you'll get a good outcome if you go to your employer and say, I don't know, just say you're currently working in, I'm going to use podcasting for an example. You're editing videos, but you want to become a producer, and you go to your boss and you say, okay, I want to be a producer now. So I don't want to do any video editing. That for a business is so difficult because they haven't budgeted for another producer role. They then need to backfill your role. And I think as if someone came to me with that, what would be difficult is that they've only considered themselves and they haven't considered the business, which is really important. You have to balance that. So I think that is such good advice and good advice. The easier you can make it for your employer to make those changes. So if you've acknowledged and I think as well, it's like if you're asking to be a producer when you've never done it before, it's very likely there's gaps in your skill set, right. So owning, owning that and saying, here's what I need to learn. I know what I need to learn, here's how I'm going to upskill, and here's how I'm going to be able to do my job and maybe get a little bit of experience in that. And that way, then I think it's really easy to come to a solution, and you're so much more likely to kind of move forward with your employer instead of kind of leaving them being like, oh, I don't know how I can, like, I really love I love you as a team member. I think you contribute to culture. You're fantastic at your job, but I don't know if I can just make you a new job on the spot because it's not in the business plan. And, you know, obviously we all have budgets and headcount allocation and things, and so that can sometimes make it harder.
S3: Oh yeah. For sure. I think that's a very good point. And I think I was going to go into the kind of opposite spectrum is in like the bit more extreme if someone's figured out, actually, you know, I want a complete career change. Where do we begin? But before we go there, I feel like what you've touched on earlier, even in like tuning into how you feel at work or doing certain tasks, etc., can be easier said than done in like working out what your strengths are, what brings you joy, that sort of stuff. So do you mind touching on that first? Because I think regardless of whether you just want a bit of a role change or some responsibility change, or you want to upskill and like work towards something, or you want to completely change your career path, you kind of got to really understand, like what it is you're actually going to enjoy and feel challenged and, um, you know, uh, want to do and feel motivated to do, um, if it is going to be a big change. So how do people figure that out?
S6: Yeah, I think strengths is something I work with people a lot on this and a lot of people find it hard. Haha. Um, the best way I always try and go back to when you're younger because generally those like base strengths and foundational strengths don't necessarily change. They will evolve and you'll you'll grow, you know, build on them. So that's one thing like, what did I love to do when I was younger and when I, you know, a lot of people say at uni or they might have, you know, contributed to the magazine or done really creative things. And so you start to tap into, okay, maybe actually, I am really creative and I've just that's been lost somewhere. And you know, I need to build that back in. So it it does also give you clues to what you used to love and what lit you up. And would that still light you up? Are you still doing it? Why not? So that's one part. Um, and the other part is, what are you doing when you're in flow? So when you're, you're at your most productive, but also like, you feel good and, and everything comes together. Um, and that's not to say that, you know, there's not speed bumps, but you know, when you're sitting at your desk or you're in a room doing an activity, it doesn't even have to be like formal work, office work. Um, and the time just passes. Yeah. And you don't even notice that's being in flow. I imagine that probably happens for you both here when you're having those conversations. And that's a really good clue. And then the third thing, which I've done this again recently, um, I love doing it every few years. But I asked a group of people close to me, um, as well as some that I work with, what my superpower was because I really wanted to hone in on. I believe I'm doing what I love and what I'm good at, but I also wanted other people's perspective. And I actually got some really insightful things that I hadn't necessarily been thinking about. Um, so that's the other thing I'd say is that obviously people you trust, people that are objective as well. Um, and not just going to tell you what you want to hear, but I think those three things pulled together. Yeah, are quite powerful.
S3: I love that idea because it's we can also be like our worst critic in that you can kind of focus more on what maybe you're not so good at and kind of forget about the strengths. So I think that's a fantastic exercise. Yeah.
S2: And it's I mean it's very it's so hard to do. I remember when I first came to you and I was like, I think I asked you to. I was like, I need to do a test and see if I'm good at my job so you can make me a test. You're like, wow, wow, we've got some work to do with this lady anyway. But it is. It's hard to do.
S6: It is. Yeah. I think the other thing is your strengths don't always bring you joy. Yeah. Yeah. So that's okay to acknowledge as well. And you know, our we shouldn't put all of our expectations on the job delivering us everything. No. Again, just like a relationship. Tube. Um, you know, my friends often say to me, it's not going to be perfect. There's always going to be something. And it's so true. Um, and that's part of it. Like, you know, it's actually weighing up what are the things that are most important. And I think that's where your values also come in and have an interplay with your strengths. Because your strengths are innate. They're things you're good at. Their skill based values are more around how you feel and how aligned what you're doing is with what you care deeply about. Uh, and so, yeah, you need to really use both of those things because joy will be inextricably linked to both like but but also I think values aligned work absolutely is where joy is to be found.
S2: How do we navigate that?
S3: Yeah.
S6: We don't have long enough to know. Um, there's a whole process I've got for going through values which I think you're familiar with. Um, yeah. So I think and a lot of them do require time and energy. And this is a great time of year to be doing this work. Um, it's a time to use breaks and holidays and sort of a bit of a slower time. Certainly, you know, in this part of the world to really reflect, but a lot of it is going back and identifying when you were younger and, you know, what did you really enjoy and what was important to you, but also through your life, when have you felt really good about something you've done or achieved and why? And what was it about that thing? And it doesn't have to be related to work or winning an award or anything like that. But what do you remember rushing home from school and telling your family about? And you know what's made you proud? Like, what makes you feel proud, you know, in connecting with all of those emotions. Um, and then I usually supply people with a big long list as well, so they can actually map out and just start circling, you know, um, trust, integrity, passion, love, joy, you know, and, and most people have big scribbles all over the page and there's lots, there's too many. Um, and then it's a matter of narrowing them down. And what you'll find through that process is that actually a lot of them, um, clump together, they group together. And so you start to get a thematic, um, and between some of those memories of, you know, feeling really good in yourself, um, and feeling really proud and digging into why, uh, also identifying, you know, words that really jump off a page to you as key drivers. Um, and your why, that's sort of I describe values as that's your why? That's your reason. You know of what lights you up. So yeah. And then it's narrowing them down to I like to try and get to between, well four and five, four and five sort of key values because otherwise I think and they just then can act as such an anchor. Um, you know, if one of my key values, for instance, is family, um, then do I want to say yes to that job which is going to cause me to travel and be away from the family two out of four weeks a month? You know, it really does help with decision making. Uh, and it does help sometimes, certainly for me to also realise why I'm not feeling great in a certain work environment.
S3: Yeah. I'm not. I'm nodding really strong because I think going through the values exercise with you earlier in the year certainly made me so much more aware of that sort of stuff, and it and it has made making decisions easier in a sense, because it's like I'm just trying to lean more into to me and like what I think is true to me. And when working through my values is one way of doing that. Um, but I think, like even with someone when we're thinking of, I think what you said before about your work doesn't necessarily have to be the thing that brings you all the joy in every parts of your job, just like it doesn't have to meet every value that you have. Um, what would you say? Like is the red flag, though, if none of your values are aligned with the work that you do?
S6: I think so.
S3: Yeah.
S6: I, I think, yeah, I mean, my, one of my values is courage, for instance. And so I spent some time at a big four bank when I sold a company there, and I wasn't able to exert as much courage and bring things into the world quick and fast. And and I totally respect that. And that was a brilliant environment to create other things, but for me, that's probably one of my most important values. And so it's also why it's important to have a small list and and know the ones that are really deal breakers. I guess, again, like a relationship. Like, what are your deal breakers? Uh, and I think that's really good to identify because then you'll also, uh, have more courage, I guess, to make hard decisions because sometimes it is really hard if it's a great job and it pays really well, but it actually doesn't tick any thing on your values list, even it might tick all your strengths or some of your strengths, but none of your values. Then it might be why you're not enjoying it as much as you potentially could if you went to another workplace that was really values aligned.
S4: One. Two three.
S2: What about patience? I think that's also something that kind of can can come into this because a lot of people I know, maybe it is because when you have a goal for a role that you want to work towards, or maybe as an example, you used to work in PR, that was your first business that you had. And when you come into a PR agency, it's very unlikely you will be emailing, you know, the Herald Sun, the age that the press contacts the day you walk in, because that's something I would say. You probably learn. You learn over time, right? There's other jobs that you do first. How important is patience? Because I think it can be. And I totally understand why. Why for a lot of people, especially if they're really driven, they want to just keep going and going and going and building because they've got this goal of where they want to get to. And sometimes it does take like if PR is your passion, it does take for you to get to that more senior role, to be able to have a role that's 100% PR or whatever that might be. So that could could be quite jarring for people if they're kind of thinking about, well, I'm doing all this other work that doesn't feel good, even though I'm on the path to, you know, what I want to do. How important is patience and how how do you kind of recommend people? And maybe it's maybe more common for entry level jobs, but also it's for people that might change career paths or whatever it might be. How important is patience and how how should we be thinking about it? Because we live in a world like we think of Uber Eats. Like we can get everything straight away this instant, like Instagram, instant validation. And at work. That's not always, um, or really very rarely the case.
S6: Yeah, I think so. My mum, when I was going through school, my mum worked at a university library, and the one observation she made throughout her career there, which was quite lengthy, was the change in the students willingness to wait for a book. Interesting. And she literally saw that happen before her own eyes, going from cohorts of students that were happy to wait days, weeks for a textbook and a book to ones that absolutely. Why isn't it available now? And if not now, tomorrow. And yeah, so it's I think it's so real, the fact that we are we just technology and we're so used to getting every single thing we want now that we're almost once we get things, we're not even as excited. And I think that's one thing that is so important is, is the process and the journey and working out actually how we can not only value it and and learn patience, which I do think is I love ambition like I, and I really relate to impatient people. I think it's great. It's that hunger, it's that hustle. But similarly, if we don't enjoy the process and also respect some of Some of the learnings and things that patients will grant us. We won't be as good at what we do anyway. Um, and that's not to say, you know, because there's also that, you know, you have to work your way up. Not necessarily. Like, I think there's absolutely opportunity for people to jump the queue if they have talent and they work really hard. And but part of that is also by doing the work, you're not going to get there without that. Um, and, and doing the work is learning. And learning is what makes us really, really good at what we do. Um, and you've seen it. Everyone's seen that play out. The difference when you're sitting around a table or interacting with people at work, people that really know their stuff and that have been patient and have really taken in every opportunity and throughout their process of progression Depression and those that you know that haven't. And it's you know, there's a far more think about the long game is what I would say, um, is sort of, you know, to relate it, I guess, to a marathon, you know, the people that put in the boring, probably more grueling parts of the training, which is just, you know, rather you just of course, everyone wants to get to the day. Yeah, but what are you like? And do you even cross the finish line if that's how you tackle a marathon and it's, you know, it's the same philosophy.
S2: It's. Yeah, that's such good advice. Now people might be sitting and thinking about how they feel in their jobs and maybe they're like, oh, I don't feel so good. But I think with the current kind of cost of living crisis we're in and the job market, and then also like for people that have, you know, kids, mortgage, etc., it can be quite scary to think about changing Careers or not careers or even just roles. How do you recommend people kind of navigate that?
S6: Um, so there's a couple of things. One is I would love people to think about the philosophy of ikigai, which is I love my Japanese philosophies, as we know, but ikigai is all about purpose. And it's a way to actually map your purpose. Um, and to do that, you do a list of what you're good at. You do a list of what you can get paid for. You do a list of what you love to do, and then you do a list of what the world needs because it's all around purpose. Now there should be a few dot points, at least in each. And I think what people expect is that all of those things, you know, you should put them in a Venn diagram and then all of those things just cross over and you have your dream job. Amazing job. Life doesn't work like that. Just like we said around partners, you know? Now, if I use my career as an example, I have had smiling mind. Perfect example. I'm passionate about it. I love the work that we do. I can use things I'm good at. Never paid me a cent. Now, that doesn't mean that every everything I've done in my career isn't really valid, including that. It just means that I can't necessarily get everything out of the one thing. So if you're in a job and you're not in a position to move, there are other parts of your ikigai that you can embrace. Take charge of and enjoy. You know, while you work out either what else you want to do or while you work through what's going on for you in your personal life and in your financial life. So that's that's one thing. The other thing I would say, and this is more of a prod, which I love giving people, um, just to put a little question mark in their mind is what part of I can't because um, or. Yes, but is to do with construct and constructs that you have created for yourself and potentially your family. But I think then be real with yourself. So that's the one thing I would say. We there's a lot of stories that we tell ourselves, and there's a lot of ways that we justify not necessarily being as happy or engaged as we could be. And a lot of it is built on a construct that we've actually created for ourselves. Um, so it's just really that's the little prod New Year's prod that I give. Um, so ikigai gives us an opportunity to have breadth And engagement in other areas. If we want to, and really discover how to bring that into our lives, if it's not already, particularly what the world needs. There's so much to do out there that you don't get paid for, that you can use your strengths, you know, um, if you want to. That can really light you up. So it's not all about, um, money and climbing the ladder. Um, and also the last thing I would say is I think it's also potentially not focusing too much on what things look good.
S3: Um, like, externally, what other people might think on LinkedIn.
S6: Yeah. I'd be great for my profile. I've done it. I've done it. And they're always the things I've disliked the most. Yeah. By far. So a lot of people look at my LinkedIn and they're like, whoa, this is I just I just own it. I'm like, it's the yellow brick road. Bless. Bless you. Thank you. Double bless. Thank you. So dainty.
S3: I know it was a tiny little squeak.
S6: I, um, and. Yeah, but I just own it. And I said, yeah, now I call it my yellow brick road of a career. Because I have followed my curiosity, I have followed my passion, and I've worried less about the fact that I might not have been at a place for as long or, yeah, that I haven't stayed in a particular industry or I've. Yeah, I've not let that rule. Yeah. And when people look at my LinkedIn they'll know what I mean. But I think you also.
S2: Have the conviction in in why. Right. Because I think if I'm thinking if I'm interviewing someone and they've changed jobs like ten times in two years and I say why? And they're like, they don't have a like there's no conviction in it. That's when I'd be like, okay, well, I don't know if you'll be the right person, but I think that's I think there's an assumption that if you have, you know, changed career paths like you have, that it's always bad when it's not at all like there's so much more context that that matters around it.
S6: I also think, uh, people underestimate how much the truth works. Yes. So, like like I if someone said in an interview because a lot of people also say to me, I can't leave. I haven't even been there a year. Yeah, right. Yes. And again, like, well, you can you're choosing to stay because you want to stay longer than a year. Completely fine. But again that's a construct that says yeah, that looks better if I have, rather than sitting in front of a potential new employer and saying, do you know what I actually, rather than being somewhere that I just knew wasn't a values fit for me, I decided to get really proactive and make the change straight away, because I want to be in a workplace where I'm really contributing and really engaged. That's powerful. Potential manager is going to be unimpressed by that.
S2: One note there with the truth, because I felt this this has happened quite a few times when we've interviewed people is The truth is not good if you're going to trash an ex-employee. I feel like if you're going to. But it's talking about what you just said. But I've had I feel like just just a note. I feel like when that happens, I sit there like, I'll be next, you know, like you just I feel like it's not about. And then, you know, that's that's making it personal. But it's not personal. It's about what you just did, like it was about you and how you felt in that organization. That's right. You want values, land, work. And so I just want to call that out because I feel like when people do that, sometimes they want to email them afterwards. I have before actually and said, like, hey, this is maybe not the best thing to do in an interview.
S6: Definitely. Well, maybe they need to read The Four Agreements because then they'd be impeccable with their word.
S2: Exactly.
S3: Hopefully they have, because it was in our special shares episode.
S6: So exactly for the holidays. If not.
S2: Get it. Exactly. And I think the other thing, just to be really clear and I'd love to circle back on and you touched on it before is just around not putting. And I mean, it's very much in the what I think what you were talking about before, not putting it. I think Covid did this a little bit when we started working from home, and there wasn't as much of a divide between work and life. And yeah, the work started then, like during Covid, covering expenses for like at home stuff, because like, if you're working, like your desk or whatever. Yep. I think what that also meant was there became a bit more of a blurred line on the expectation on the workplace. And I think people expect more than ever from their work to and for their job to, like, solve everything in their life. You know, if they have bad mental health, it's like, oh, it's because they don't. It's because of my job or whatever it means. I think it's happening a little bit more than than before. And obviously, what the danger is, and it's like anything, if you put every expectation on any area in your life, if one thing goes wrong in that, like you will just be crushed. Like if your whole life is your relationship, like, that's super, super, super dangerous if your whole life is your career, etc.. Do you mind talking to that a little bit more? Because I just think it's really important because sometimes people think, oh, I'll change your job and my whole everything will be solved, but it's not always the case, right?
S6: Yeah. Well, exactly. And that's why I think I said at the top of the episode is the most, I think, important question to ask, if not the first one, is, is this about work or is this about me? Yeah. And I actually love that question just outside of work. I, I've really learned and I often challenge and talk to people about resistance. So resistance is a gift if you choose to use it that way. So things you're like, oh, I can't stand that person or oh, I didn't like that. There will be something in there that is part of you that you don't like. Yeah. Or if it's a book that someone says, oh, you really should read this and you start reading, it's like, oh, this is crap. It will usually be because it's hit some kind of nerve. And that's exactly the same if if you're in a workplace and certain things are coming up for you there to be explored and not just explored. To blame the external circumstances, although that that may be valid and that that's okay, but also an opportunity to turn inward and say, how am I showing up? Yeah. How am I contributing to this feeling? And I think in life, not just in work, if you can do that and own your part, then life will be better. And then when everything isn't perfect, which it never is, and when you're only enjoying, you know, a smaller proportion of your work and you do need to continue there, then it is easier if you are still showing up and doing the work on yourself to make that optimal. I honestly believe that also you're just way more fun to be around. It's a pleasure to be around people who own their part and you know that take responsibility for themselves and the role that they're playing. Um, it's it's very refreshing. And it, it shows other people how to be as well. So yeah, I think it's that's a really great challenge to sort of take into a workplace. The other really good tip that I actually I'm going to credit her, but Debbie Lee, um, who is the careers counsellor where Henry goes to school, made a really good point talking about the 8020 rule. It was really around decision making and obviously, you know, year 12 making a decision. But I loved it more generally, which was you're never really going to be 100% on any decision you make or anything that you do like that is just unrealistic. But if you're 80%, it's bloody good. Yeah. And then see how the how the percentage changes over time. And I really I just love that. Yeah. The wisdom of Debbie Lee.
S2: I love that a lot of a lot of my girlfriends use that for relationships as well. And I think you never like, when has anyone been 100% sure to break up with someone? I mean, unless they did something like very, very, very bad, of course. But if there's no, like, wrongdoing and it's just not feeling right. That's right. The amount of doubt you have in yourself, like, oh, what if I you know, what if it's the only person I'm going to get? And that's a scarcity mindset of what if it's just a stage and a phase and blah blah, blah, etc. but I feel like that actually applies so well to like a lot of decisions we make in our lives outside of career too.
S3: Yeah, I think even when something drastic does happen, like terrible, terrible, something that really happened, you could still be 99% because that 1% is holding on to all the positive times you had with this person, and that maybe they'll learn from their mistake and you can flip it. And I think it's even the same in like making a big, big decision like having a kid or whatever. When I've said before, I 100% knew I was ready. I was definitely in the 90s. Like, I knew it was something that I like, definitely wanted, felt right at the time, etc. but there wasn't. Of course, there was other considerations that were going on in my mind, but it's so good and it's what you've spoken to a lot laws this year, and leaning into is like the decision you make is going to be the right one. And like not trying to pre-empt what that hindsight will be because hindsight only happens after the fact. Um, and just really leaning into that decision and being okay with the learnings that come from it, whether it's like you look back in hindsight and think, yeah, I'm so glad I did that, or okay, I'm glad I did that, but now I'm in another pickle.
S6: Yes. And just trusting that there's purpose in it as well. There's purpose in every decision and even the so-called wrong ones. There's sort of there isn't any such thing because that will place you somewhere else, which will lead to something else, like your yellow brick road. And that's exactly, exactly. And I think it makes it a much more refreshing way to live as well. Like, there are no wrong decisions. There are decisions that you may think, oh, that wasn't ideal. What is the next best decision? So I can take a different direction? Um, and it's really, you know, I think it's. Yeah, it's a great way to live.
S2: And trusting yourself. Right. Instead of and this is something we've worked on with me in that if I'm like, if I make I used, I used to think if I made a wrong decision that it would be like the end of the world, like literally that would Stuart Little no, not Stuart Little I got it wrong. Yeah Stuart little chicken little chicken little not Stuart Little he's the.
S6: He's the mouse.
S2: They're both cute. Chicken little that it's like it would be a disaster and everything will be over. But that's like there's not many decisions we can make in our lives like especially within career where we can never go back or it's going to be the end of the world. And there was an episode, actually on The diary of a CEO, and I remember we spoke about it and Steven Bartlett. Actually, no, it was on Mel Robbins podcast, and Steven was talking and he was he was talking about he used an example of someone in banking, and they've been in banking for like their whole career, 20 or 30 years. And they weren't happy, but they wanted to. They were thinking about, oh, if I leave, like, well, what if I can't get another job in a totally different career? What if I do? Like, I don't make money from that. What if it's a disaster? And his kind of response back to that is like, well, that risk seems so small compared to spending another ten years in something that brings you no joy. And we so often don't think about that, but we just have to trust. And I think that's like what the biggest learning that I've had in, you know, having the pleasure of working with you this year is just trusting that things will be okay. And especially if you have a mindset like I did where I was like, no, things won't be okay. I have to control everything. Otherwise it'll be a disaster. Like, I know we have some cloud things that also think like, yes, yes, there's many. It's just letting go and and trusting that like it's, you know, there is a, you know, a zero point. It's like with anxiety there's always that always that 0.001% chance the worst thing will happen, but there's also 99.9% chance that it won't.
S6: Exactly. And also sometimes things that happen to you. So it's also not, um, like career wise. It's not always your decision either. And I think that's important to touch on, particularly when the economy, you know, is as it is. Uh, and, or you go for I remember the first job, um, or one of the second job I went for, it was junior fashion editor at the age. Shout out to Rachel Wells. We got down to the last two and she won. Um, I don't think I've ever been more devastated about missing out on a job. Ever. I could not stop crying. I mean, I was a lot younger, but also, I felt like everything I saw for myself was over. Now I look back on that now and think that would have taken me in a direction that I know would not have played to my all my strengths, particularly the the really big ones. Uh, and it wouldn't have been right for me at all. But at that moment I was devastated. Now that decision was made for me, and it took me a while to get over. But I can look back also in retrospect and see that was actually me being looked after and being taken in the direction I needed to go. So that might not happen in the moment, but I can guarantee as being a lot older than certainly both of you, and I'd say nearly all of the listeners that that will happen, that will happen all through your life, where a decision may have been made for you. And at the time, um, certainly in your career it felt devastating. But it will actually, in retrospect, have led to something else that I am sure will be bigger and better and more aligned.
S3: Yeah, that is so good. And I, I have to say, my mum listens to the podcast and she's definitely older than you, so I can already hear her in my text messages, being asked quickly if.
S2: By telling someone my mum's older than you, but she said she said.
S3: I'm sure I'm older than all of my all of the listeners. I know that our mothers will both be listening. Um, but speaking of age, because I think that's an important one to touch on, because it can be the excuse that a lot of people jump to before we finish up. Is it ever too late to change your career or your job?
S6: Definitely not. Definitely not. Um, firstly, our brain literally is plastic. Like, we we have neural pathways like we can if we can reshape our brain, we can reshape our careers. Um, so, yeah, I think it is all possible. It's just also what? I guess there'll be potential pay offs if it's a big pivot. Uh, I think, you know, that is a decision to make, probably as a, as a family or as a, you know, if you're in a relationship, but I Absolutely. I mean, I've changed careers completely, doing the coaching, you know, and have moved into that work and, and sort of away from more of that sort of straight sort of business work. And that does feel like a leap. I'm doing a hypnotherapy degree. I just I feel that we put barriers in front of ourselves that don't need to be there. But like I said before, a lot of it is stories that we're telling ourselves about why we can't do something and there's always something that's underneath that. And usually it will be fear. Or it could also be about like, what will people think? Like, does that seem weird or. Yeah, but what I would say is, and I've been cruel enough to one of my clients recently to she's a fantastic writer. And so I've made her do her eulogy as part of her homework. And. Wow. Yeah. But the reason is that I think when you consider what you might like yours to say, what would the content be?
S2: Mhm. It's not going to be about your job.
S6: Exactly. And it might be about someone who's 80 and went on an adventure when at 40 she realized she was a nurse and she actually wanted to train to be a pilot. Who knows. But how cool. I'd like to sit at that funeral and hear that story, you know? Because that was someone who really thought anything was possible. So I think it's also really cool to, you know, and that aligns with your values as well. Uh, and When I think about my career, it's the thing that I've never been paid for that I hope people speak about at my funeral, um, which is smiling mind and well, obviously also hopefully that I'm a good human, but but, you know, career wise, I'm saying what I would want to know is it was about that that had had impact and helped people. And so all of the other things I am proud of and I've had fun doing, but to me, yeah. So I think that's also a very cool exercise. If you're a bit on the fence or you're thinking, oh, but I can't because, you know, think about it like just own what you want and then write that out and be like, okay, now how do I get there? And make sure it's, you know, make sure your kids put it in, make sure they say it, make sure it happens.
S2: Um, what a way to finish. Thank you so much for joining us. It's been incredible. I've got so many. We've spent so much time together, but I've got so much more out of today as well. So thank you so much.
S6: Pleasure. Thanks for having me. Thank you.
S2: Thank you so much for listening. We hope you enjoyed the episode. If you ever want to get involved in the Kick Pod, which we would love, there are a few ways you can do it. You can follow us and DM us on Instagram. We're at kick pod. That's kick pod. Tell us what you think of our episodes, suggest guests for future episodes or DM us an anonymous voice note which we love.
S3: You can also join the conversation in our closed Facebook group. Just search Kick Pod on Facebook and if you want to learn more about the app, you can visit us at kick. Com or search kick that's kick on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. We have a seven day free trial for you to try us out, and you can also follow us on Instagram at Steph Claire Smith and at Laura Henshaw. We'll be back in your ears very soon.