S1: A listener production.
S2: Bailey Brown one side and burnt to a crisp on the other. Drives me mad. Fresh from the uneven toaster of white, it's Matt and Alex all day.
S3: Breakfast. Yes. Welcome to this podcast where every day we try to find the pursuit of happiness. But today, Meadow Keen, we're in search of the trivial pursuit of happiness.
S4: Oh, yeah, that's right. We have been visiting our locally owned trivia team in a Pursuit to Greatness and we thought we would visit them on home soil in Brisbane where we are today and try to achieve that milestone. All will be.
S3: Revealed in a moment as we try to go for trivial superstardom as well as that we've got a bit of mind blown today.
S4: You've also uncovered a new trend, which I had never heard about it. You thought you'd you know, you thought you'd broken ground with the Pappy shower. Well, well, well. Just you wait to hear what people are celebrating now.
S3: It should be a very fun show. Stick with us. It's Matt and Alex all day. Breakfast.
S5: This is just the start.
S6: Everyone ready?
S7: Let's get this show on the road.
S8: Let's go. Here we go. Here we go. Here we go. Matt and Alex all day. Breakfast.
S3: Well, Matt, it's been a very fun week so far in Breezy, but let's talk turkey here. All right? We were here for one reason and one reason, not friendship. That's out the window. We are here to win. We are investors. And much like our boy Ryan Reynolds, who we have met before. And you told him about when you performed Bohemian Rhapsody at a pub and said it was the greatest karaoke performance of all time.
S4: I might have overshot my shot, but that's okay. You got to. You know, when you're in the boxing ring, you don't you don't talk about how much the opponent is going to beat you. You say, I'm here to win.
S3: Ryan Reynolds could very well have taken the Chris Rock route. And God, really, you're saying that to me. But no. Very humble man, but also great investor. Bought a football team in the UK. They got a fairy tale story and we thought, Look, we need to get in this game. So we bought a breezy trivia team. We might have heard Hannah this week chatting to it and we rocked up down to the West End Hotel this week, sharpened the grey lads and we got down to business. Hannah, the general manager, has just rocked up. Hannah, here is your special t shirt. How are you feeling about tonight?
S9: I'm feeling pumped. We've got our uniforms. We're good to go there.
S3: What was the team name?
S9: Usually we change it all the time. So we're up for a new one this week.
S3: We could be the the West End Dyson for wontons.
S9: That sounds great to me. I'm all for it.
S3: I'll tell you what, Hannah. This is the most professional pub trivia booklet I have ever received. Can you tell us what we're looking at here?
S9: So we are looking at the inquisitive trivia.
S3: And where's the emphasis? Come on.
S9: The inquisitive. There it is. Trivia answer booklet.
S3: The rounds up picture books, science and nature, days and months. How many music and potluck.
S4: Does anyone feel particularly passionate about anything like that?
S10: Do you reckon potluck is food like.
S4: The guy with the long hair out here? I know what you think potluck is about, mate.
S3: Which month did Anthony Albanese assume office as Prime Minister of Australia? If Dyson, for one, got this wrong? I would be very disappointed. May. May 26th. Election Day. Oof! Or in my case, on Election Day. What is your team name here tonight?
S11: Pack of shunts.
S3: The pack of shunts. All right. I'm joining the pack of shunts down here at the trivia night. I won't look at your answer card, but how's it all going tonight? I think it was a bit of a surprise to the science round like that. Science round had some pretty cheeky questions. Oh, we're getting to the six months in. Here are the answers. Good luck. Pack of shunts. Good luck. Thank you.
S12: I think someone's last year did elbow. Oh, God.
S3: I'm nervous.
S12: Now. That was late May.
S3: Yes. Dyson, for one. When was the winter solstice in Australia? Northern Hemisphere. Summer solstice. It's in June. My birthday's on the 22nd. Always shortest day of second.
S12: Shortest day. Yeah, you know that.
S3: Yeah. You should know where my birthday is, Matt. I really.
S4: Should. It surprises me every time.
S3: Okay. We've literally just hit the easiest round of all time. How many rings are served? The Olympic Games symbol.
S9: Hey.
S13: Hello.
S3: Well, you can joke around in your own time. We run this team now.
S12: Duty free show between 1947 at an airport in Denmark, Ireland or the US.
S3: Where did the world first duty free shop open?
S9: In Denmark.
S3: It's giving Denmark. Okay. The only Brit on the team might have this one. What does Posh stand for? Posh. Originally in ocean voyages.
S10: Port out. Starboard home.
S3: Port out. Stop at home.
S10: The bank.
S3: Take it to the bank. We haven't got the results yet. It's pending. But how do we all think we went?
S12: Killed it. Killed it.
S3: Killed it. Do you reckon we came second?
S12: Hey, can I.
S4: Say, even though we may have come second. Many great people have come second.
S3: That's true.
S12: Okay.
S3: Your partner. Come on, Denmark. Come on. Islands. It was giving us his the acronym for Posh. What is it for? That stuff. We got it. We got it. Thank you very much for hosting tonight. What was your name? Sorry. Brad. Brad, Thank you very much. So we were dicing for one and it sounds like we came third.
S12: Yes, that is correct.
S3: Out of how many.
S12: Teams out of seven?
S3: Yes. But let's be honest. If a table of 15 can't win a trivia night.
S4: It's very embarrassing. We're going to find the fire exits to this place and leave quietly.
S9: You guys wanted a sports team and we gave you one.
S3: And now it's time for my.
S4: Yes, that's right. This is the segment in which I attempt to blow you, Alex Tyson's mind and also you listening with a fact that I have learned across the last seven days.
S3: Now, you've been reading some science journals this week. You've been in the Encyclopaedia Britannica. What's been what's been your weapon of choice when it comes to arming your mind with facts? Matthew.
S4: The DMS. Now, they have not usually appeared in.
S14: You know.
S4: Bound in leather and in your friend's parents living room on their bookshelf.
S3: I'll tell you what, I've got a few DMS from some people bound in leather, if you know what I mean.
S4: So this comes from Bronwyn Zak. Oh.
S3: Producer Bronze blowing minds today.
S4: Now, this is a multi-layered fact because it's about a specific type of lollipop.
S3: Now how did you come across Lollipop facts? What's happening?
S15: It was on TikTok. And then also I've not done any further research to this, so I. I just sent Matt a screenshot of something I saw. It was like, here's something.
S4: Maybe it is pretty it was pretty mind blowing. Did you.
S3: Verify?
S4: I did some research. I always do my research.
S3: Just making sure. Just making sure.
S4: Okay. So now this is about lollipops, which I think I was quite amazed by.
S3: So we've got stand up comedy about mind blowing lollipops.
S4: Now the modern lollipop. Is, they say, according to Wikipedia, still something of a mystery. But a number of companies.
S3: Puppies A is a mystery.
S4: Well, they say that a number of companies have laid claim to it. But according to a book Food for Thought, Extraordinary Life Chronicles of the World, Lollipops were apparently invented by George Smith of New Haven, Connecticut, who started making large hard candies mounted on sticks in 1908. He named them after a racehorse of the time Lollipop. And trademarked the lollipop name in 1931, which I found.
S3: Lollipop was named after a horse.
S4: Yes. Okay. So this is why I find it a little bit interesting because especially in 1900, like I would think that they would date way back then. So there are pops. There are there is history of boiled candies on sticks or handles because.
S3: People have been putting stuff on sticks for millennia. Yeah, well, it's like the shish kebab make.
S4: Love me a kebab. Bit of a tinga the old Ghanaian suya. So. So Nigerian beans. So yeah. Anyways, anyway, look, I found it quite interesting, okay? To think that this person has claimed to have made the lollipop of the lollipop 1908. But what I did not know, okay, like.
S3: The lollipop was very close to being invented along the same time as the aeroplane. Like only, what, a couple of years before?
S4: Yeah, right. Like it's. Yeah.
S3: It's like two very different inventions. One, I'd say you'd hope we could have come up with quite a bit earlier.
S4: Okay.
S3: Lolly on a.
S4: Stick. What I didn't know is that Chapa Chups.
S3: Very famous.
S4: Very famous company is actually a Spanish company right now.
S3: Spanish for something?
S4: Yes. Chopper chop. Yeah. Okay, so chopper chop. Apparently, the chopper is a short word. Well, the name of the brand comes from the Spanish verb Chupa. Meaning to lick. That's what the. That's what it says here. Okay. Yeah.
S3: So, Chapa. And then what's the chopper?
S4: Well, chipper. Chipper. I'm guessing it's a two lick lick.
S3: That's it. Chop and chop. Literally made licky lick.
S4: I guess so.
S3: Because if so, that's gross.
S4: So the thing that was was mind blowing is that, you know, we all know the Chapa Chup logo, the.
S3: Little like curly riding.
S4: Yeah, curly riding on the yellow flower kind of thing. Yeah, that was designed. In 1969 by the surrealist artist Salvador Dali.
S3: What?
S4: Yeah.
S3: Salvador Dali?
S4: Yeah.
S3: Originally did the chop chop logo. Yeah, bro, that guy sold out. I mean, he used to be all about melting watches. You know, it was about the art, man. Yeah. Why is he going designing logos for companies now?
S4: What? I didn't know. Maybe you had a little boiled candy at the back of his paintbrush. You know, Little Licky lick. Yeah. Little Ricki Lake while he's painting the paint.
S3: Did you record as part of the deal to get Salvador Dali to do this lollipop thing? They invented a stick that could also be a paintbrush. Paintbrush. So that while brush pop.
S4: Is that not a good idea? I'm not saying that they did that, but I think it would. They should have.
S3: Well, some people paint with their mouth. And it would be easier to, like, hold the paintbrush in your mouth if there was a boiled lolly on the end of it.
S4: You'd certainly get your reward, wouldn't you?
S3: Absolutely.
S4: So I think that was pretty interesting stuff.
S3: Well, that's good. My mind is blown that Salvador Dali was a capitalist hack. I did not. I did not realize. Oink, oink! Salvador. Oink, oink.
S4: It makes me feel better, you know, someone like him can advertise chopper tops and world's roasters. I mean, the three McDonald's coffee campaigns I've done, mate.
S3: I reckon you know this Brixton. I reckon Salvador Dali, sponsored by Big Mustache. I reckon there was a mustache wax company that was the one that got him to do his famous Mot.
S4: Well, he probably. Well, no, he probably just didn't want to get any hard candy in his in his tache. Needed a stick to guide it into the mush a bit better.
S3: All right. Anyway, we also love you blowing our minds here at Mountain Alex. All day breakfast. I send us a voice memo of a fact that you thought was incredibly unbelievable. Through to our DMS, Matt and Alex.
S9: I always thought the song Closing Time by Semi Sonic was about the pub closing. It was always the last song that my local played before they kicked us out. But listening to a podcast today, they shared that the song is not about being bounced from the pub, but about being bounced on the womb as his wife just gave birth to a premature baby. He did write it to have a double meaning but ended up hiding it so well that no one ever knew it was actually about birth. So make sure you listen to it now with the new meaning in mind. And it's quite funny.
S3: Yes.
S4: Did you know I.
S3: Heard the same podcast and it blew my mind? Seriously, do you do you look at it?
S4: So this song's released in 1998, Closing time, Open all the doors and let you out into the world. Closing time, turning all the lights on over every boy and every girl.
S3: Yeah. And this used to be at college every at the end of the pub all the time. But yeah, I think it's a song Exploder episode. It's a song exploder.
S4: I know who I want to take home. I know who I want to take home. I know who I want to take me home. I know who I want to take me home.
S3: I think one of them is like, time for you to go home to the places that you will be from. You get born somewhere. You're from there. How cool is that?
S4: Although it's outside. So gather up your jackets. Move it to the exits.
S3: There's also finish your whiskey or beer, which I don't think is happening in the womb, but double meanings.
S4: All right. Well, thank you very much.
S3: For maybe the drink he's thinking of is a rum biblical chord. Maybe that's maybe that's the drink that a baby would be having at the Womb pub.
S4: I wish my silence was that of disapproval, but I'm actually trying to think of other puns. I honestly couldn't think of anything.
S16: Yeah.
S3: How about we just leave it there? I mean, you can't top perfection, Matt, so why bother?
S4: I don't know. I'm just trying to. All I can get is.
S3: You're killing me. All radio executives tell people like us on the mics. Say something funny. Finish on a laugh. Okay. I said an excellent joke, and we finish on awkward silence. You've got to come with.
S4: Me, man. I'm just trying to think all I can think of birth standing like smirnoff's not. So I'm like, I'm like, can I weave that into some. Rumpelstiltskin like joke gold out of it. All right. Thank you very much for keeping in touch with us at mat.nz. Alex, as we always love hearing your DMS.
S3: I know two unborn babies. Favourite champagne is.
S17: Mum.
S4: I don't know if we can even talk. Now that I think about it. Babies and alcohol.
S3: No, please do not drink while pregnant.
S13: Guys.
S15: Bubbly.
UU: Oh, okay. You surprise.
S12: You knocking.
S3: Them out of the park. Good work, Bron. Drink responsibly. Not. Well, Matt, you changed the game recently by getting a couple of lads together and going off on a puppy shower weekend. Some would contend it changed the game to a place that no one should be.
S4: A game that no one wants to play. A very dangerous game. I have to say, if you enjoy your relationship.
S3: Pappy shower being dads pre birth of their child go off and you know talk to other dads hang out with other men in this sort of way but I've heard of a new a new one.
S4: Okay. What's another excuse for me to.
S3: Because I guess that was a baby shower. Yeah. Then the pappy shower was a couple of puppies hanging out.
S14: Yeah.
S3: Well, I had a friend who recently attended their very first not baby shower, but baby shower, boobie shower, boobie shower. Their friend getting breast implants. Oh, And so I had a party to celebrate the incoming members of the family.
S4: Wait, wait, wait, wait. So were the were the. Was the party before or after the implants?
S3: Before the implants. Pre implants.
S4: What? So it's like a sayonara.
S3: Sayonara to. Well, no, it's not, because it's like a baby shower is we're about to welcome, I guess, a new addition. And I guess it's the same concept. But for boobies.
S4: Was it just girls that were invited?
S3: All the girls came along. They had, you know, appropriate food, cupcakes and those kind of things. All right. Games were played, which was. Are you serious?
S4: Did this actually happen? Yeah, it's actually happened, actually. A baby shower.
S3: A baby shower.
S4: Like I mean.
S3: I'm not going to give you the names of a dress, mate. What more information do you want? The girls went round. They had a baby shower.
S4: So I just never heard of this before.
S3: Well, I'm not sure how common it is if, you know, celebrating the incoming boobies, which I did here, apparently last about ten years. Yeah. Cost about $15,000 in some cases.
S14: Yeah.
S3: Which is about 1500 a year. But my friend who's not getting the baby shower, who was just attending the baby shower, made the good point as well. It's like, yeah, the boobs, the surgery, all that sort of stuff. That's expensive. What about the new clothes you gonna have to buy?
S4: I didn't even think about clothes. Didn't think about the new swimwear.
S3: New swimwear, new bras.
S14: Yeah. We're gonna have to go.
S3: That's. That's a bit pricier as well.
S4: How do you get to a baby shower? Motorboat.
S3: Oh.
S4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
S3: We did that. All right.
S4: Oh, yeah. That's the end of the show. Thank you very much for joining us. This has been another nice all day breakfast. I hope you're having a good one. We'll see you tomorrow. Same time, same place. Bye bye.
S2: That's it. The all day breakfast kitchen is closed. Got something to add to the show? Slide into our DMS.
UU: At Matt and Alex.