S1: A listener production.
S2: Activate your internet because the Hamish and Andy podcast starts in three two.
UU: Sorry. Still buffering. One.
S3: Ahoy to me! Sid. Hamish. Hello? Yes, I we could be in a band, but Sid says good morning. Ahoy to me, Milly. Jack.
S4: I know what we are. I reckon one of the rare times Jack's come over the top of good Jack.
S3: Are we from a comic strip?
S4: No. Andy's going to be Olly. He's got me like I can't remember who's who. But we are.
S3: Mascots. Mascots? Yeah. The Olympic mascots.
S4: The Sydney 2000 Olympic mascots. Sid, Hamish the platypus, of course. Named after Sydney. Milly the echidna, named after millennium, I think. And Ollie named after the Olympics.
S3: That was Ollie. Just a torch. Kookaburra. Yeah.
S4: That would have been really disappointing for you guys. Have going to be a platypus and echidna. And I'm just a torch that hangs around a.
S3: Torch, man. Stranger things have happened in the world of mascots for the games.
S4: That's true. Um, ahoy! Also to Tara, who's in the Czech Republic who used the very easy to use system Hamish Net.com to tell us what she's.
S3: Been up to.
S5: Ahoy, boys. This is Tara from the Czech Republic. Just checking in. Um, so I have to admit, the summer break of 2022, I believe it was. I accidentally checked out a little bit too long for that break and have only just checked back in. Time got away from me, but I've come back now, and Hamish is playing golf, which is shocking. So I realized I have to go back to where I accidentally took my break too long. So going in the past to go forward. But I am ashamed of you.
S3: Why do you get to Jack?
S6: Yeah, yeah. You'll really be shocked.
S3: That would be.
S4: A strange flash forward, wouldn't it?
S6: But I, I totally agree with once you're out of one podcast and it takes a break or it takes a little hiatus, you just gets out of your system and you can not come back for years.
S4: We don't recommend.
S3: That. There are there are, there are podcasts sitting in my, you know, podcast app. And you go objectively, the people that host these podcasts are heroes of mine. Yes. But I can't be bothered to go back so much.
S6: And actually, the more episodes they put out that you don't hear, you're like, wow, it's so much to catch.
S3: Up on, you know, especially someone like me. I got no time to do that. I'm already trying to save as much time as I can, being fast and loose, so I just want anyone to know if they are back in or they've dipped back in. No hard feelings from us. Oh no, not at all. And if you are listening to this, we appreciate it.
S4: We hate the government mandated break, but one of its benefits is allowing people to catch up, like Repecharge in Mario Kart, where you've accidentally left the control because sticky Controller and you smash against the wall for too long. We allow people to get back in.
S3: The game will go faster if you're behind the Mario Kart. Yes, and in even in more modern iterations of the game. For those that play it on switch, um, I can see Radiomic just leaping at the window trying to get into the studio. Talking about Nintendo. Um, of course, you know, you can only get the good powers if you're lagging behind. Yes. Um. You can't you don't get diddly shit. If you're up front, you get. You get a coin or a green shell, if you're lucky. Yeah.
S4: They don't even bother going over them.
S3: Useless. Useless.
S4: I would say, um. Ehm. What a response to con con. Yes. Now I didn't I haven't gone back and listened to what we said last week, so I know we were fishing in the. Well, I was about to say fishing in the wind, which is a terrible way to fish. Um, fish in the water.
S3: You can get a bird, I suppose.
S6: Although I think fishing in the water is meant to be better on windy days. Don't the fish? Don't fishermen get excited about windy days? Brings the fish to the surface? Not that.
S3: I've heard, but it would make sense because it's the so many people's.
S4: Comments on this show that we don't.
S3: Have the amount of retractions we have to do. We don't need to be just saying stuff like this next week, all the emails will be like, what the hell do you think you're talking about? Well known that fish fear the windy surface and flee from the ripples.
S6: You're probably right.
S4: Um, but it is exciting that when two weeks ago, Ham, you had a tax accountant on and played a game with Jack and I to see if we could come up with as many deductible things as possible. The the thing that kept coming back was if it was part of a convention, a conference, a conference or a convention conference, is it a conference? Yeah, you can deduct that. So we were like, well, to give the whole of Australia a chop out, we will put on conference. conference con con which will allow a tax deductible, very informative couple of sessions or however long we would talk about these people's individual businesses with, of course, networking at the nearest golf course.
S3: Yes, there'll be networking opportunities galore, but that is part of a conference. Everyone's favorite part of a conference. But there will also be the the formal presentations. And I think where we knuckled down and I think this is the critical bit, is as part of the ticketing process. When we get around to that, it will know the profession that everyone has going into con con, and we will make sure that there's, you know, 30s on your specific profession. I mean minimum yeah. 30 plus seconds. Yes. Tax department doesn't need to know. They never going to ask like the ATO doesn't go if you go. I went to a garbage waste conference because I'm in waste management. They're not going to go. How long did they talk for? They just go yeah, great. Sweet mate. Hope you had a good time.
S4: That's exactly how it happens.
S3: But that is a recording from a recent audit.
S4: Um, but but the lawyers here keep telling us to say to everybody, check with your own accountant. Yeah.
S3: Um, the funny thing is, we had there is actually a legal team that works for listener who run the podcast. They don't even know what they're scared of. They just know this feels scary. Yeah. Yeah. But it just feels a heck of a lot like three guys giving financial advice. So they're like, we're not even. You don't even know what the event is yet. We don't even know how it works. But we just let it be known. We're scared. Say some things to cover us. That's the vibe I'm getting.
S6: Yeah. And we're not giving financial advice. No.
S3: Well done. Jack.
S4: Exactly well done, Jack. Really? Turning around from the wind ocean stuff earlier on.
S3: Good to have that crisply on the transcript. Transcript. That'll come in handy.
S4: What we are finding is there is an immense amount of interest, which there's.
S3: Is a hunger, which means.
S4: We have to turn our direction to or our interests into. How will we put together a very concise learning moment for these different businesses?
S3: You mentioned sessions before, and that's a good I think that's a good area to start. I don't think I've been to a conference. I um, sometimes we I guess we've spoken at them before, but I don't think I've ever been as an attendee. But there are sessions there often, like there's the morning session or whatever. I'm just vibing this out. But I think two half hour sessions separated by a 20 minute refreshment and networking break, that's a pretty good conference, G. That's a great conference to eat up the whole day. No no no. And cut out all the networking. Exactly. Imagine how devastated you'd be if you come back from the conference and there was no time for networking. So exactly one day conference, two sessions, um, there'll be sort of like a late afternoon and an early evening session, um, generous networking opportunities in the morning. Yes. And yeah, I think that's loosely the gist. And then we will do content wise.
S4: Yeah, we'll be doing the presentations for you.
S3: Some people I think. Yeah, some people I think thought that they would have to.
S4: Speak, speak.
S3: No no no no. You tell us what your industry is and we'll educate you. Yes. Tailor made conference. Yeah. It's not to be confused with TaylorMade, the golf brand, although I'm sure Jack will try and work that in somehow.
S4: Hey, just to reel off a few people that have shown interest because there has been I think we're in close to hundreds, aren't we?
S3: 700 or.
S4: 700? Okay. Would we be able to talk on marine science and biotechnology? Yes, I thought we would. That would please Matt Cherry. He said Khan. Boys, um, all you need to do is make sure this is near an ocean and the tax man will have zero issues.
S3: Yeah. That's good.
S6: So we've already warmed up with the fish and the wind stuff. That's right. What is that about? Marine science.
S3: That's true.
S4: We'll correct that maybe on the day. So if.
S3: You.
S4: Are.
S3: Clarify it.
S4: Marine science or biotechnology. Come along. He's in seaweed agriculture. Aquaculture. Just cover that off.
S3: Well, we'd be thrilled to, um, just in terms of people, you know, some people are more concerned about showing evidence to the old tax man than others. I've had a couple on my side of the fence going, um, I know, I certainly know if I could present or if I, you know, I'm allowed to go to conferences from my work if I'm they'll fly me there if I'm presenting. Great. Oh, um, but not as a participant. I had 2 or 3 of those. But, look, we're not going to do that. But if there are people that want extra evidence for the tax man. Yes. Would we incorporate a section of the conference where you where we line sort of ten people up in the wings. Right. And you can come out very, very fast, one at a time, pose at the podium, pose at the lectern and you get a photo, a bit of photo evidence. That's good. That makes it look like you presented at the conference, and you can go back with that in your hand and walk out.
S4: And say, I've presented.
S6: Yeah. Or like, thanks for coming. Say one fact. Yeah. Because then it's not even deceitful. They did present something about the industry.
S3: Yep. Well, we could have people saying stuff like, you know, the refreshment break starts now or whatever. And and so they have presented a fact at the conference and they've got the photo tax man comes knocking. Did you really present that conference. What do you call this photo. Absolutely right. Congrats on the TD.
S4: Can we okay. Can we then set up on our website a performer. Yep. Where people can fill in their own and we say hi. Fill in your own name. Darrell. We would love you to present.
S3: At.
S4: This conference.
S3: I see it as only ten people. You know, I would say the vast majority of the crowd is there to absorb fact. Yep. But if you have to show that you're on stage. Mhm. Then we could have a few openings for people to give some facts out to present.
S4: Great. And then they can print that out and send it to themselves and show their boss that they needed their.
S3: They've been invited. Yeah, they've been invited.
S4: Just you know how you said some people are more worried about the tax department than others?
S3: Yeah. Who have you got?
S4: Josh isn't. He says he works his industry is the Australian Taxation Office.
S3: Nice. And he said.
S4: Surely, surely an ATO man such as myself can ride off a convention on tax. I'm new to the ATO, but I'm willing to test this.
S3: So definitely.
S6: Because then if they bring it, try to bring us down. They have to bring themselves down.
S3: And what was one of your boys doing there? Exactly. So this feels like an ancient France when you, like, marry the daughter of Spain. Like, just to form the alliance. Like alliances. We'll give a complimentary ticket to a tax office person just so there can be no sniffing around.
S4: Yeah, well, that'd be. That'd be. Well, we can then be accused of bribery. It'd be good if Josh just bought his own way there.
S3: I was joking. Yeah, it's got a. You don't say the B word. Yeah. No, I was joking. He buys his own way there. And it's above board. Yep. Would we do a presentation? Someone just said if you do morals and ethics, that covers a lot of industry. That's a good one. So I reckon we could just pop. We could do 30s on morals and ethics. Yep. Danielle, she's a paramedic. We do a bit of that stuff, wouldn't we?
S6: Oh, yeah. Definitely. My brother's a paramedic, so I can.
S3: There we go. That's on you.
S6: Leave that one with me.
S3: Thank you. So, just to a conference. What? A conference. So what we'll do then? We will.
S4: Divide.
S3: What a Ted talk. I want to talk to you guys about what's called the golden hour in life saving. Now, I'm not a paramedic, but my brother is. And he actually was talking about this at Christmas. It was so interesting. Here's what I remember from that conversation.
S4: So I get this straight. We will have people register and and obviously they have to get them. It's very clear you're getting yourself to the convention. It's a regular convention. Convention?
S3: We'll get there. I think we're going to balance the.
S4: We'll have some kind of pack for you because that's what happens with a convention. You'll have a lanyard.
S3: Lanyard, USB stick, all the good stuff.
S6: So they're paying they're paying airfares. And then the ticket will have some sort of ticket price for the convention.
S4: Yes, there would be, because we've got to hire the convention center. So we'll do like every other convention. We will we'll we'll set that up. But you have to get yourselves there. Um, I'm not sure. I mean, are they doing their own accommodation? We'll work that out. Yeah.
S3: Oh, is it a package, do you think?
S4: Oh, I mean, I don't know. I mean, do we? That sounds like admin.
S3: Straying into my least favorite part of this stuff. Yeah. Admin. I'll do merch, you do admin. But so I think the best thing to do is let people register. Right. You go, I would like to register for Comic-Con. Yeah. Then. But then we need to give them. Well the Hong Kong Kong Kong Kong confirmation. So you get so you're not going to you have Hong Kong Kong which is Kong Kong Kong.
S4: Kong Kong confirmation like that. And then we'll decide when when we have a little wade through admin whether we're going to do Kong Kong Kong Kong.
S3: Kong Kong which is confirmed. Or if a b Kong Kong Kong Kong Kong Kong Kong Kong or like if we're comping it. Comping anyone?
S4: Yes. There'll be a bit they'll we'll work out that but for clarity.
S3: I did you sorry. Were you part of the Hong Kong Kong Kong package or are you just gone gone gone gone gone gone. Did you want Kong? Kong Kong condoms in the room? Are you here? How seriously are you taking the networking? We.
S4: We will. But just to be really clear for us, once everybody has registered and we'll have a cut off amount because it will only be how many people we can fit this certain wherever we choose. Yep.
S3: Kong, Kong.
S4: We will then divvy up.
S3: All.
S4: The industries that we have to cover. Yep. Yep. And then we'll split them between the three of us.
S3: Yep. Yep. That's how it will work.
S4: And there'll be 30 plus seconds per industry.
S3: Session one. Break. Session two. Boom! Covered. Tax deduction secured. Of course. Check with your financial advisor. But from our angle it looks like. And remember things can have many angles. But from the angle I'm looking at that. That seems swedo burrito to me.
S4: And we had no idea of a rich vein of people that were going to be kind of tapping into when it comes to extreme empaths. We talked about my girlfriend being extremely empathetic when it comes to people, which is probably nice when it comes to object, which gets a little bit annoying just.
S3: Assigning human traits to objects. Yeah, I.
S4: Think the one that I brought up was that she asked me to go into the study to check whether her old laptop had finished transferring the information to a new laptop because she felt sorry for the old one having to take the new one. All the new tricks.
S3: Couldn't go and look it in the face. I'm so sorry I replaced you. Look. And there are so many extreme empaths out there, and we're the place to hear them. We'll be. I mean, are we empaths for then understanding what it's like? We're more of a repository for the. I'd love to be able to.
S4: Claim any kind of empathy from my.
S3: Side of the fence.
S4: As the Tin Man, as my sister called me. But yes, I don't think I'm quite in that category, but I do love hearing about them. They're out.
S3: There. It has been a flood. What have you got to kick it off with Sarah here?
S4: I like to water household plants with lukewarm water. I don't want them to feel too cold.
S3: Oh, God. It's probably not good for them.
S6: No, I think actually, plants like colder water. I've watched something recently that said put ice blocks in.
S3: They grew up outside where it's all cold. You know, like they're not having showers. They're drinking. This is great. This is. Yeah. This is this is, uh, from. Cassie can relate to Beck's struggles. Whenever my partner separates a bunch of bananas at the supermarket and leaves one on its own, I always go and get it to match it up so it doesn't lose its friends. Like, you'd be like, oh, we got four now. We only need three. No, no, no, you're coming with us. It's coming with us. And all she writes or I go and put it with another solo banana. So foster, foster it.
S4: Out to another banana family.
S3: This is. This is what I love about all this stuff just going. No, no, no, these things have feelings, I assume. No problems. Later, when you tear its skin off and eat it a lot, you know no one's bothering their pavlova. Oh, and did you eat it alive in front of its friends? Yes, I did, but at least it wasn't lonely. This one.
S4: From Jordan. Extreme empaths. He says my wife falls under this category. She doesn't like to use techsters because she thinks you'll hurt their little noses.
S3: Which. Now when I delete a text, I look at it.
S4: And think I am using its nose squashing.
S3: Jamming its face into the page just so we could make a.
S4: Mucus coming out and hopefully the nicest color available.
S3: I mean, there's so many. Here's another one. Okay, um, this comes in from Darren because he's an extreme empath. He says, I find when I pull commonly used dishes from the dishwasher, and then I use them immediately, like, I've got a few of those bowls where I'm like, you're perfect for, you know, yogurt. I use them immediately. There are a few that never seem to get a rest. So like your favorite dishes because and I always hear them in my mind saying, oh man, give me a break. I just got clean cut. I have a bit of downtime.
S6: But equally, you could feel sorry for the plates that never get used because if you're on the bottom of the stack, coach, give me hardly any rotation unless you have a big family dinner. So I guess it's true.
S3: It's the greyhound racing argument. Do they love to run? Do they want to rest? Are you stopping him from doing what they were born to do?
S4: One version is stop loss in a military sense where we don't have enough servicemen. So you have to stay on.
S3: We're not letting you retire. Yeah, but the.
S4: Other one is. Coach. Let me in the game. Love it. This is from Tony. I once said sorry to my car for parking it on a steep hill overnight.
S3: I. Hold. Hold. Imagine the relief when you took the parking brake off in the morning. Oh, God. Where have you been? I thought you were coming back early. There's been a bunch, too. Yeah, I mean, there's a bunch to on on Instagram, too. Um, this is this is from Miller. My husband was getting a knee replacement, and I cried because I felt sorry for the knee being taken out.
S4: Yeah, that's no good. Andy Hoskins I'll throw this one more at you from New Zealand. Ahoy to you. My mother is one of the biggest empaths. She knits teddies to donate to children's hospitals, which is lovely. Lovely. I don't think that tips into crazy yet. She makes many and sends them all as a big bunch. But when she finishes one, she feels bad for it. So she knits them a bed and a blanket to keep them warm until they're sent off.
S3: Oh, sweet. That is. I mean, that is lovely. That is lovely. I got one to juxtapose that with. This is this is like, this is right in the zone, Lisa. She goes when I'm filling up the photocopier paper drawer at work and it's not empty. So there might be like ten sheets left front. I pull the paper out. That's in there. I add in the new paper. Then I place the existing old paper on top. It's not fair that they have to wait another 500 sheets to get their go. It's like a water slide. You can't just have someone cut in 500 people. Corporate event cut in front of me.
S4: Home Olympics obviously on at the moment. Um, we are not the host broadcaster here at this particular, um, place we work at. Listener. That is a.
S3: Relief. That's a relief to hear. Because if we were, I just get the feeling I've missed a heck of a lot of shifts. I haven't been in all week and I haven't commentated a damn thing.
S4: Um, but, you know, we are part of the host network. I'm working on the Olympics. So in my capacity as for promotion for the Olympics, we can certainly talk about it.
S3: Um, of course we must. You must check.
S4: It out on channel nine. We must. Um. First up, let's go back to the opening ceremony. Um, these Eddie Ockenden, who was the, um, uh, the flag bearer? Hockey player? Flag bearer.
S3: Flag bearer with Co.
S4: Flag bearer with Jess. Jess. Fox. Um, I I'm obviously very into my hockey. He's been I think he's 37 and he's still playing in the, uh, the hockey team. But I sent him a note, um, to say congrats, but also I said flagbearer. I know he listens to the show. Flagbearer lost touch with the common man. He wrote back. Yes. Good point, but flag power equals potential line to Jim Chalmers. So what? Well, I mean, obviously.
S3: His gym, his gym there. Well, there'd.
S4: Be there'd be even if he's not there, they'd be representatives of the Australian government there. And what I loved is just on the eve of the most important tournament that they have, the.
S3: Got his priority straight.
S4: He's got his priorities straight. I said, don't spend all your time trying to track down Jim. Go to the games.
S3: I'll tell you what, Jess Fox is another great avenue because now, as a gold medal winner. Yes. So not only is she co flagbearer, but she can go if there is some sort of reception when they get home. All the bigwigs from the government are there. No doubt she'll have the gold medal on. Um. And then Jim will go, gee, look at that. And she'll go tell you. Speaking of gold round things. Yeah, that that that inspire a nation. Could I float this past you? Yes.
S4: Um. That's great. I noticed that you. Because Hamish was doing kayak training for a while. For the coast to coast for New Zealand.
S3: Oh, yeah. For this. That. Jess. Jess was kind enough to coach me for one afternoon last year. Yes. Um, at the Penrith, uh, Penrith Whitewater Stadium, where I had to get certified in kayaking because there's no casual people just out at the Whitewater Stadium. No, no. Penrith from 24 years ago. So there's literally a guy who's never been in a kayak before me because there's 21 rapids or something as it goes around, goes around like a spiral. I'm at the end on the last rapid, like trying to learn how you stay afloat in fast moving water. So you've got one guy, right? Like, day one of kayaking. And then the only other people there are Olympians who were just, like, getting ready for the game. So there was a real mismatch of talent that day out on the water. But she was a legend. Well, you look like a little.
S4: League guy that's getting at half time allowed to go out there and try. Looks like she.
S3: Said it to you. How would you like a photo with the helmet on? Really? Thank you.
S4: We've got to see Australia sing the national anthem a lot, which I. That's what I love about the Olympics. You get all patriotic. We are one and three. That new line that we have, which is great. It made me think they would have been rapt when they came up with that.
S6: Because it fits. It's such a perfect swap out.
S3: Yeah, it's rather than I think the other idea was to add bloody in there. We are bloody.
S6: Free.
S3: Free do you.
S4: I just want to know what the process was and whether they did go to Rhymezone, which you and I have Rhymezone. Com when we're trying to think of a parody song at last minute, you're like, okay, Jesus.
S3: That is a website from 1998 that has never been updated. It's just like all text. Exactly. And hyperlinks.
S4: Like, it's a special skill where a guy can eat cheese crackers really quickly. So we're like rhyming, rhyming cracker.
S3: What rhymes with Camembert? Camembert? Exactly.
S4: I just wondered whether at Australia Advance, Australia Fair offices, did someone just crack his knuckles and go, okay, rhyme zone. Young one.
S3: Good. Yeah. That's. Yeah, one. We have fun.
S4: Fun and free.
S3: Was the one I.
S4: Thought they may have thought.
S3: About. For fun and free would be good. Yeah, it would be good. No country, I reckon, has fun in their national anthem, which is a shame. That's a missed opportunity. Everyone's got like, you know, patriotism. Yeah, like half of them are about wars and, like, never giving in and, like, you know, the American one. Why not be fun? I think Bhutan. Bhutan would have happy because isn't there that thing that they're like the happiest nation on Earth? They would.
S4: Have. I'm still not sure if they're putting happy in Spain. Don't have any lyrics. Just so you know, I did a bit of a deep dive because I was going to bring to the show my rankings of the top national anthems. Turns out a lot of them are really boring. But Spain no lyrics, which I.
S3: Was thinking, this is me. I go to pub trivia occasionally on a Monday night, and I was watching the medal ceremony for something synchronized ten metre diving. China had won. Chinese national anthem pipes up and I go right for country's large and as powerful with as much global influence as China. I would never have known this was their anthem. Yeah, you know what I mean? I was like, this would be a good trivia question. You pump, you start an anthem and go, right, we've all watched the Olympics. Whose is this? Can we agree.
S4: That the French is the best.
S6: French? I reckon French, US and Great Britain are the only ones I really know besides the Australian one.
S4: Then, I mean. But Great Britain's not great.
S6: No, no, no, I'm not saying it's a top ten, but I just wouldn't be able to recognize if I'm playing that trivia game, I don't think I'd get, you know, of the other 194 countries, I don't think I'm getting very many.
S3: If Mando is listening, who's the quizmaster? I'm just saying Mando is a good puppet. Like if you're thinking about next Monday night, I think that would be an interesting one. No, we normally do a music round in round three and it's got a pretty standard format, but maybe for the Olympics you could do a new music round, shake it in quickly. On the diving. You know how they dry off. There's a lot of like after you dive, you have the mini towel. Yeah. You know those like mini camping towel. Yeah. But then there's a lot of, like, you dry off, then you get in the spa, then you dry off again. Yeah. It's very confusing whether they want to be wet or dry during during the diving. And also why not like, come on, it's the Olympics. Bring a bath sheet. Like we're not allowed to use those at home because they take up too much of the washing machine. But like treat yourself, treat yourself. It's the bloody Olympics. Not a giant towel.
S4: That's true. But that's not the most confusing thing about the diving mark. Tubby Taylor commentating the diving was, I reckon, the most confusing.
S3: That was so awesome. Night one.
S4: Night one.
S3: Him just going oh geez buddy, no splash. Are you happy with that? Like he was commentating it like I don't.
S4: Know he was Australian cricket test captain. Yep. Uh, from well, a decade or so ago.
S3: Yeah. And often this is back. They just had, um, stump cam had just come in with a cricket, so you could often you just could hear what the players were saying on the field. And he was often well criticized by the team or derided by the team because he would only talk in diving and elegance. And the other, you know, and Ian Healy behind the stumps, he'd be like, we don't understand, mate. And he'd be like, guys, we need to tighten this up like a pike, right? Like a pike. Get your head to your knees like a pike. And he goes, tell me we don't understand, mate. Not everyone gets diving the way you do.
S4: So finally he.
S3: Got his calling, which is totally up to 20, 30 years of pestering channel nine. Get me at the diving. I think you'll be impressed by what I can do.
S4: I thought I'd be surprised when he was selling us air conditioners. I was like, oh, wow. Like that's something I didn't expect him to be doing. Diving was the next level for that final one. Ham. Um, Ian Thorpe commentating the swimming.
S3: You said you had something for us here.
S4: I've had something for you guys here. This just reminds me of when at school, you came across a fad and someone else in your group goes, hey, I saw this fad, and you're arguing that you saw it first? Yeah.
S6: Yeah, yeah.
S3: My uncle went to Japan two years ago. I already got a Pokemon. Yeah, that kind of thing. Yes.
S4: I think Thorpey had a little bit of that as he was describing. There's a guy called peaty from Great Britain. He's a breaststroke champion. Um, this is just him, and I'm not sure the other commentator. But you'll pick up what I'm talking about.
S7: He is absolutely the greatest sprint breaststroker the world has seen. And for him to come back from adversity and line up here in lane four is a wonderful achievement. They're calling it the three Peat Thorpey. I told you that. Don't pretend I did not tell you. That's what they're saying. In. In Britain, it's a three peat. If he can win it. I've been saying that a little bit longer than that.
S3: I've been saying it a little bit longer than that. Well, then Britain's existed. I've been saying it since Roman times. You know that. I've been saying it since. He's taking a bit longer than Britain has, so that is great. Yeah, that actually just stinks. Who's the other commentator?
S4: I'm not sure I should know because he's very famous.
S3: He's been doing a good job.
S4: He was doing a great job of trying to.
S6: Just brush over it and move on to the next.
S3: Thing. I think because he's obviously like, you know, he's obviously like called many sports. And before you go on, you know, there'd be some level of performance anxiety too, especially as thorpey, you know, you're not trained as a commentator. You'd be like, I've got my list of things I'm going to say yes. And he's probably before they've gone on, gone. Oh, I'll, it's actually we've been saying the three PD like that's the thing that's been coming up with other guys just gone.
S6: And I.
S4: Would tell him.
S3: Do you reckon, do you reckon I'd still be going. Come on mate, I've said that off air. That's the one bit that.
S6: I, that's my one bit of homework I've.
S3: Done.
S6: What's on my sheet.
S3: That's the bit I was getting. I've got nothing else written and you've come in and chucked it.
S4: Then I think then I think the defense then of the league commentator would be there was a gap and you didn't feel it.
S3: And I'm with him, I'm with him and you're.
S4: Like, this is our last opportunity because it's semi final. We can't say it after the final. He's either done it or he hasn't done it.
S3: And he also he also completely in that situation on here when someone's going, hey, I told you that he's done. This is a seasoned professional going well I was saying it in Britain. Yeah. He didn't like everyone. Everyone's throwing it around. So that's why to get someone going. Well I've been saying it a lot longer than. And I invented torpedo to that.
S4: Time. I mean, we've talked about this a lot. We expected it to potentially be a Peter out. We've actually gave ourselves a license to not mention it for two years because we know it's a long process, but I thought it was almost.
S3: A law.
S4: Keeps knocking at the door and asking to come back in. So it's to do with the mint. And obviously we suggested that not us personally be put on a coin, but the show has a great ambassador for dollar coins be recognized on Australian currency as a novelty coin, particularly because of some of the junk that the mint throw out there.
S3: I think they call them. They call them commemorative coins. Commemorative coins. Not novelty. Nobody. Nobody.
S4: Not a fart machine.
S3: They don't have a kiss. The cook they don't have. Novelty coins?
S4: Yes.
S3: But Yes. Taking. The taking. Of course we know. It's. You know, we know it's a essentially it's a note from the King. The promise to pay $1. So we know it's a serious business currency, but we would like to be on a commemorative coin if that's not too much trouble.
S4: Early strategies was just targeting where Jim Chalmers, the Australian Treasurer, may have a haircut and trying to get in touch with his hairdressers.
S3: Well, because it's his call, it's Jk's call. I'm sorry. Just I know we've got a different top up here, but did get a note from alert listener and an operative. Georgie. Now I know again this this this. I don't remember us having a meeting saying our whole goal here is to just target the goods and services that Jim Chalmers, the treasurer, uses. But that just seems to be the strategy. Yeah, yeah. Um, she is his florist.
S4: Oh, good.
S3: So she says, I've got a, um. Just thought you'd be pleased to know I'm Jim Chalmers, florist, attaches a picture. He's picking up a gorgeous bunch there. Um, looks like possibly could be for his wife or something. In fact, he's got two bunches. Wow. Um, so she.
S6: Photographed him while he was just buying flowers.
S3: She's chatting to him. It's actually a photo of her chatting to him. So it was probably from another staff member. He's having a laugh. He's entertaining everyone. She goes. I had an extensive and very persuasive conversation.
S4: Does he look like he's had a.
S3: Fresh hair with him? Re the coin does actually look like he's got a short haircut. He's heaven. Jim's having a day out. He's gone from a haircut to pick up flowers for the house. So we've got him flanked. We've got him flanked unfortunately. She then says I can't say it's looking good, unfortunately, which doesn't. That's not the story the picture tells to me. That's a treasurer with two bunches of flowers at the top of his game. Who's about to grant us a coin now? I might be. Will she go into much more detail? Or she said she'd keep us updated if she's got any further sightings. So she doesn't say why it's not looking good. But you reading between the lines, I don't think it's a definite no because I can't imagine him having that smile. If it was a no.
S4: Yes, that's fair.
S3: I think it's just he probably highlighted some of the hurdles. Maybe we've got to say to Georgie like, hey mate, we love hurdles.
S4: We love em. We don't go. We don't go like going over them.
S3: We just like, love kicking them over.
S4: Or at least running around if there's a spare spot in the lane alongside. Um, well, it's been two weeks since we brought up on this show that the CEO of the mint was asked during one of his press conferences from a journalist to comment on us potentially getting commemorative coin. He then encouraged everybody that has an idea for a commemorative coin to hit up the Australian Mint's website and email in. Boy, did they get a lot of emails. Great. They've been coming in thick and fast to us. People forwarding what they forwarded to the mint.
S3: Yeah, great.
S4: The mint response.
S3: Does the mint respond or is it auto response? It looks a bit automatic.
S4: The response. Um, but so some of them have been so great the way that these emails have gone into the mint, they've been creative. It also didn't feel like a template. You know, when some people have have like bots do it and it looks like a template, everybody has taken.
S3: Their old school.
S4: Man their own tact when it comes to telling them why this is the right thing to do. And so we've just managed to grab a bunch of them, stick them all together, and get a vibe of the emails heading into the mint.
S8: The Royal Australian Mint.
S9: To whom it may concern a.
S10: Royal Australian Mint. It is with great gusto that I write to express what I believe to be the will of the people I speak.
S11: On behalf of the people of Australia.
S12: I represent 8.9 million Australians.
S13: I must insist on the Hamish and Andy coin being released into circulation at the earliest convenience.
S9: The Hamish and Andy podcast coin would be an exciting contribution to the economy, but.
S14: Too long have lesser coins been minted.
S10: I'm sure you've.
S15: Had a lot of requests for a Hamish and Andy $1 coin, but I just wanted to add another voice to that idea.
S16: They champion the $1 coin and really push the cash is king rhetoric. Without them, I think you might be out of a job.
S13: This wise choice could be the single factor that allows the Australian dollar to again compete with global currencies.
S9: And quietly, a bit more interesting than the iced Vovo coin released in 2019.
S17: A Hamish and Andy coin would be pretty dope. No.
S14: Bite the bullet and break the ice with haste. Your loyal subjects are waiting.
S12: We all want the Hamish and Andy podcast on a coin. I await your confirmation of this. Cheers.
S15: A concerned citizen, very important.
S11: Do not mention Mr. Ralph on this coin. Otherwise we would not be able to put them in circulation.
S18: So good.
S4: So there you go.
S3: My favorite. There's many good strategies in there I love. I must insist this is done. This is done at your earliest convenience. He is nothing. Nothing I like more than someone just deciding to turn the tables of power. I'm afraid I insist, I insist, And the only thing that was missing from when any of them is the angle where you go assuming that this is good, and if there's, you know, if there's I'll only hear from you if there's concerns to the contrary. I look forward to seeing it in production off the back of this.
S4: Jack, here's a bit of a bombshell. We missed a call from the mint yesterday.
S3: You can only again, who knows what a missed call means. But Carly got the call.
S4: It's from the mint number because she'd been calling the mint.
S3: One 800 mint, mint, mint? It's a long number.
S4: They didn't leave a message.
S6: So it looks like an in-house number, not one three mint. Yeah. That's brilliant. That's what the.
S3: Call was coming from inside the mint. What a thriller. So.
S6: Do we try and call them back?
S4: Well, no, I think we're now we play hard to get. We've been we've obviously been going too hard maybe.
S3: Yeah.
S4: Come across as Kino's.
S3: Give us a note as well. Yeah. We want a tenner. I reckon, and yeah, we'll go. But I honestly can't see it being anything other than them calling to say we're firing up the machine. Yeah. Can I. Um. At risk of, you know, we have to be very careful about talking about golf content. Oh, yeah. Um, but I, you know, it has to be it has to have a general appeal. And I think this does have a general appeal, but I caught up the other day with preferred magician of the show, magic Mike. People might remember magician Mike from the mishap with Jack's jumper. Mike left his jumper with Jack rather than sending it back. Jack unfortunately realized he enjoyed wearing it and contacted the makers of the jumper to say, we've run into a problem here. Mike wants the jumper back, but I love it. Could you send me one? In fact, could you send maybe you just send Mike a new one and I keep this one? Yes. And then.
S4: That's then. Then on this show went. Actually, it's a little snug. Could the company please send me one? So just started to use it at his own personal PA system and.
S3: That's and that's that's all. Fine. That's. We know and love Jack for the weaseling. And that's all good. I was playing with magic Mike. Right? We're out on the course. A guy comes out of the bushes, okay, guy comes out, there's a rustling. First I heard a rustling. I was like, something's going on in there.
S4: Just one quick one. Him yeah. Golf is a game where people cheat. Not I obviously don't, but people do. Is there? It is a shame because it's self-governed. Yep, yep. Playing with a magician. Are there, are there there ways? Do you think that his skills would allow him to cheat more?
S3: He's an honorable magician. He is. And he.
S4: Uses.
S3: He is an honorable magician and he uses his skills for good. Like usually only in the hole.
S6: Oh, another ball in the hole.
S3: How did that happen? No, there's no Kim Jong un. He'll only use his skills to wow and amaze those in the clubhouse as he finds decks of cards behind their ears. And then he.
S4: Hangs his magician skills up in the locker room before he plays as a.
S3: Mortal. He plays as a mortal. He goes as you, as you, as you, as you would want, as you would want. And I'm sure that's the problem that demigods and things have to that do have powers. Like, hey, today I'm just like you guys, Superman.
S4: You'd go, hey mate, can you pull back.
S3: Today I'm Clark Kent. I'm just I'm just a regular guy. I'd like to experience the world as you do. Yes. Boy, does he do a good job of playing as a mortal sometimes. Even though you could use magic to get a hole in one, sometimes having up to 8 or 9 shots per hole, just really just to make the rest of us feel so mortal. And it encourages me to play Extra mortal, to go look at us. Just a couple of flawed humans. Spending an hour on one hole. Go back and forth. I've been trying to get the ball in. Anyway, so in this particular hole, we hear a rustling. Guy comes out of the bushes, right, with a giant camera. Wow. Like a giant telephoto lens. And I'm like, yeah, this is. Well, I was like this. This is not un unlike what a paparazzi set up, right? But he's, like, talking to me. Usually paparazzi are just, you know, pests that are miles away. You don't you don't know where they are. So he's. So then I'm like, maybe he's maybe there's someone famous on the course because he's like, he comes and he's like, sorry, guys. One second and he's walking over to he's like a little bit out of conversational distance. Okay. So I'm like, maybe there's I don't know, like maybe Trump's playing here or something. Like there's like there's someone of note on the course and he's looking for a tip. Not that we would reveal that. Um, but he's he's coming up and he goes, hey, just a quick question, guys. Yes. Do, um, do crows ever steal the ball? Like the birds. He goes. Do they ever swoop down and steal the ball? And I went, yes. Yep. Occasionally that can happen. I've very rarely though. Pretty rare. And he goes, do they really? And I go, yeah, right. And we're on the we're on the tee box, which for Non-golfers, that's the bit where you begin from and you hit the ball from. So I go not very often here. Like like you're at the tee box. So usually there's a human standing next to the ball and about to hit the ball with a big club. More a crow would go for an unguarded ball, like towards the other end of the hole. And he goes, oh, wow. So they really do they? I was like, is this guy? Is this a wind up? Like my first thought with you two, I was like, what's going on here? Because this is like, maybe Jack and Andy have set this guy up and he goes and he goes, and they really they grab it and they fly off with it. Yeah. Well, it can happen. He goes, oh, that's what I'm trying to get a photo of. That's my. He goes. That's my dream shot. That's his dream. That's my dream shot. And I was like. And I go, is that what you're out here for? He goes, I've been trying. I've been trying. But I just didn't know if they really did it. Well, they do, but I've got to be honest with you, mate. You know, and I didn't tell him this. I didn't want to break his heart, but I had actually, that morning seen a picture, a photo on Instagram of a squirrel on an eagle flying on the back of it. I was like, mate, that's what you're up against. Just so you know, in the world of amazing photos, you are up against a squirrel on the back of an eagle. So I don't know if a regular old crow with a golf ball in its mouth, like I don't want to shit on anyone's dreams. Like dream away, dream big. But it ain't the greatest. It's not like it's not. It's not like getting, you know, like a whale jumping over a dolphin or anything like that. This is a very achievable dream. Um, anyway, we went on and that's when I did want to. That's when I asked Mike. I actually remembered about the Weaseling incident. Jack. I said, oh, by the way, where are we at with that?
S4: The jacket. Yeah.
S3: And and Mike told me that it all seems to be well in the world, like the that company has sent him, um, a new one, the new jumper. Yeah, it did work.
S6: And they sent me and they upgraded mine from a large to an extra large. Right.
S3: Right. And so then you sent Mike's large to him?
S6: No. That large that. Because Mike now has a new set of.
S4: Yeah, but that's his jumper.
S6: Yeah, but but but why would I have to then go like he's got a jumper. So the math still works out. At the end of the day he's got a jumper.
S3: But now you have two and one of them is owned by him. Yeah. Yeah.
S6: But he's got he's got the exact same I see he took a photo of it. He's got the exact same jumper. Just knew her. So why would I have to go to the post office? Put it in the post box.
S4: Because it's not yours. I suppose it's.
S6: The. No really. He's got the he's got something better.
S3: So you have an extra large jumper that those guys sent you that's yours. Yeah. And you also have a large jumper at your house. Who owns that?
S6: That is okay. Okay. That is Mike's jumper. But this is why I like this in an unusual, like, wrinkle in the system. Because you don't usually make a third jumper out of nothing. But we have. Yes. So your regular rules don't really apply.
S3: You're not being mortals. You are being magicians. You've made a third jumper where before there was two.
S2: Thanks for listening. The Hamish and Andy podcast will return next week. Catch up or contribute at Hamish and Andy. Com.