S1: A listener production.
S2: Welcome. This is our remembering project.
S3: Yep. We're a random day of the year is selected, and we look up the run sheets from all our shows from across the years to find any we did on that day.
S2: Over 20 years. That's about 2500 shows and roughly 26,000 talk breaks. Today we pick one one talk break only and try to remember what happened based on what was written down on the run sheet from that day.
S3: As always, we've got podcast Mike with us here for any technical stuff.
S2: Hello, Mike, what date was randomly chosen today?
S4: It's the 1st of October.
S3: Okay, that's Andy's go then let's kick it off and find out what years Andy will take us back to, and we'll see if we remember anything from those years.
S1: This is Hamish and Andy's Remembering Project A.
S2: Few fun things for us to reminisce about today, but one I wanted to get off our slate early so we can go to the fun stuff because this is going to be awkward. 2007 Adrian Grenier on the show.
S3: Oh yeah. On entourage or something.
S2: Yes, from entourage. He comes on on Monday after the snubbing on the Sunday night that. Oh so he was on Rove with us.
S3: I don't I remember something vaguely happening.
S2: So what happened after Rove on Sunday night? He was I remember him being a bit too cool for school on Rove.
S3: Yeah, but I remember I didn't I just didn't care enough.
S2: No. And so but then he came up to he saw our bit and came up to us after Rove. And we may have mentioned this before on our own project, but he said, are you guys going out? And I didn't really feel the need to hang out.
S3: With Sunday night. And we very sometimes we would go out after Rove, but not not often.
S2: I was going out, but I told him I wasn't going out.
S3: That's what happened. And did we see him? Do we go to the European?
S2: Yes. And so we said we weren't going out.
S3: Yeah, we did go out.
S2: We went with Daniel Johns, who was married to Nelly and Brewer at the time. Yeah. And Silverchair and a bunch of others. And we all went we.
S3: Did go.
S2: Out. We all went out up to the supper club, and we told him we weren't going out because we didn't want to spend the night just hanging with him. We didn't really know. That was kind of.
S3: Which is fair enough.
S2: Yeah, it.
S4: Was Daniel Johns on Rove that night as well. Yes. Oh, so you went out with everyone on Rove that night?
S3: A couple of the camera guys. 20 or so people from the audience.
S2: I just I didn't just didn't like his vibe.
S3: Yeah. He genuinely someone I remember as we.
S2: Didn't.
S3: Like people like that always sort of put Andy off a bit. We were just like, nah, you're out here, you're in Australia. Don't be too cool for school.
S2: Here's the part I remember whether it went down like this. This is the way I remember it. He was on Rove. He didn't go to the AFL grand final. Um, he got invited to it, which was like on the Saturday, I think.
S3: So to punish.
S2: Him. And Rove went to him. You didn't go to the AFL. You were invited. You didn't go to didn't go to the AFL Grand Final. It's like, yeah, it wasn't interested. And Rove said, yeah, it's like if I got invited to the Super Bowl and didn't go, and he said you'd never be invited to the Super Bowl.
S4: And I said.
S3: Well, you really you have a great memory for this stuff.
S2: And that's my recollection of it. I remember Rove just being like, oh, um, and it wasn't like in a ribbing. We've been having fun type way. And it was true. He probably wouldn't be invited to the Super Bowl, but I was like, oh, that's not lovely to the host. And probably is a small sign.
S3: So to punish him for his bad manners and he was like, I'm gonna not.
S2: He said, are you going? And I said, I don't think we are. No, that was so that was it's not like you can't come out. I was like, I don't think I am.
S3: Yeah, not with you.
S2: Then when I arrived at the venue, he arrived at the same time and I saw him at the front and he goes, I thought you weren't coming out. And I went.
S3: I'm not Andy.
S2: I've changed. I've changed my mind.
S3: I live here, this is my house.
S2: So we then had to go up the stairs together. And so then we got in on Monday and I said to you, Ham, sorry, had this exchange with Adrian Grenier last night. He is coming on the show this afternoon. Do you think we should mention it? I can't remember what we do. My guess is you were. Yeah. Let's just bring it up and we'll have a laugh about it.
S3: That would be my norm. That would be my instinct. But also that would be my instinct. Current days. Maybe in 2007. We were too nervous to do that.
S5: I feel like we did.
S2: And he wasn't ready to have a laugh about it.
S3: Of course not. And but what evidence do we have that he wants to have a laugh about anything at that stage? He did seem low on laughs.
S2: That's true. So, um, Marty, you've heard it. Have I given it the right run up?
S4: Yeah, you do bring it up. I also get the sense that when he's coming during the song, he hasn't liked the brand of pop starlet we were playing and has told you during the song. Here's the song you should be playing. And it's a very awkward start.
S3: Right? Yes. Yeah. Well, you'd never get invited to the music meetings, mate.
S2: So here we go.
S4: The 1st of October, 2007.
S2: Joining us in the studio. Adrian. Adrian Grenier. Of course, of entourage, which is on, uh, on arena TV on Foxtel Tuesdays, 930.
S6: Season four starting. It is only on Foxtel on Arena. But Adrian, thanks for joining us, man. Are you going through your iPod?
S2: Okay. Here's a song.
S6: This is played through.
S2: So what song is this.
S7: That loud enough? Yeah.
S6: Ladies and gentlemen, you are listening to Adrian Grenier's iPod held up to the microphone.
S2: What are we listening to?
S6: You would have requested.
S7: Freedom of 76 by Ween.
S2: Beautiful. I think we've done that.
S7: All right, thank you.
S6: Everybody give it up for Wayne. Welcome. Appearing very rarely on the show.
S2: Welcome, mate.
S6: Look, Adrian, last night, obviously, you're on Rove. You did a terrific job. Uh, on Rove, it was a lot of fun. We were on Rove last night as well, and Andy doesn't. Andy doesn't want me to bring this up because after the show, you know, you said, guys, what are you up to? And we said, quite honestly, we got to go home and pack because in two days time we're we're driving across Australia in a caravan.
S7: You're avoiding me I understand. I got it.
S6: Well, here's the thing. We I, I thought we were going home to pack. And then I find out that someone twisted his arm and he did go out afterwards, and he ran into you. And that's very awkward, because what that says, what that says is that Hamish and Andy, the show are liars, right? Because Andy's an ambassador of the show. I just want to clear up today. Yeah, it's just Andy the liar. No, no. And Hamish is the good guy who did go home and pack.
S7: You know what's funny is when I left you guys from the Rove show, I said, you know what, nice guys. And then when I saw you, I said, what? Jerks.
S6: See, that's what I want to clear up. Just the s on the end of jerks. What jerk is fine, but definitely not me. I was the good guy that went home and packed.
S2: Adrian, mate, thanks for coming in. It's all we've got time for. But look, Irina, of course, on Tuesday nights 930. Entourage. Season four is beginning.
S7: Yes.
S6: Right on. Beautiful. Thanks for coming, mate.
S3: I'm actually just indicated there that he had edited that down, because otherwise, that would have been far more awkward than. Are you going out? Let's not go out thing. Anyway, so we've established that, um.
S2: We're not one of us.
S3: Is very, very keen to throw Eddie under the bus. Andy, have you got something to say? Yes, I do. Thanks for coming in. Yeah, but that's so funny that he. I mean, it was always a weird energy to deal with when someone's like.
S2: It's funny when you listen to these things back, it's so much.
S3: It's totally.
S2: Fine. Totally fine compared to what I would have been feeling at the time, which is like, I feel really bad for this, that we had this awful vibe, but it's not that bad.
S3: It's not that.
S2: Bad at all. It's actually kind of nice to listen back to those things. Sometimes you're like.
S3: Oh, and now with a bit of perspective on it, you go like, think about his life, right? He's in a big show in America. In LA, like Australia must seem like a like a very like it was weird for our, you know, we were like, oh, this isn't normal for someone to come in and go, you should be playing this song. But probably in his world, it's a very normal thing to do. Yeah, and we were just freaking out because it was a bit outside. The usual, the usual.
S2: Particularly that kind of. We're in our first years, I always I hear us in kind of 2006 and 2007 with this urgency of everything has to be good. Like, can we can we just get to the relief of the song? I'm glad we got that one out of the way. 2015 Drew Barrymore and Toni Collette were on the show. Yeah, I miss you.
S3: Already know you might not. I remember you.
S2: Are the part. The part. Neither do I, but the part that I remember about this is sometimes you get a good bounce from a Hollywood star.
S3: Yeah.
S2: And we got one with Drew Barrymore. Yeah. Obviously, Toni Collette being Australian kind of knew who we were. So you were looking for anything to soften? Just the mood. Give you one little point of contact before a big guest comes in. And there was billboards of us on the way from the airport, and she'd seen a billboard of us.
S3: We would get a billboard for like four weeks a year.
S2: Exactly. And she said, I remember walking. Oh my God, I saw you guys on the billboard. And you go, great. She.
S3: And we've seen you on a billboard, Drew Barrymore.
S2: And it's that really I'm not sure. You probably didn't feel the same, but I always felt like this little bit of relief of, like, she at least knows that the show might be something.
S3: Or were you always worried that an American star like Grenier is just going to turn around and go, what am I doing here? Yeah, like, what am I, where am I? What are these guys doing? Because quite often we're sitting there in our underpants. If it was a Friday as like quite young guys going, we don't really know what we're doing here.
S2: Yeah. So I remember the relief, which you said, it's like, okay, at least there's like a point that you can hang on to. 2008 A band called Metro Station was on. Do you remember.
S3: Them?
S2: Do you remember them?
S3: I reckon I do, because it Because wasn't one of them sat on a box and drummed on it, correct? Because when they played the song. But isn't it Billy Ray Cyrus son, like Miley's brother is in it? Yeah, this is incredible for me because I always I always go, yeah, I always go, Cyrus. Wow. What happened to that guy? Because, like, Miley.
S2: And he was really lovely and energetic and they gave them.
S3: All the time.
S2: We were.
S3: Like. We were like, I think these guys are going to be great.
S2: Exactly. I was thinking, sometimes you have people come in and you go, nah, this one was like, metro station. They're going to be around forever. Can you remember this song?
S3: All I remember is all I remember is he sat on. What's that thing you sit on and drum? It's a special box cocoon. Its called a cocoon. Yeah. I remember sitting him because they played like an acoustic version, but he sits. It's like a wooden box you sit on and you tap it with your fingers and it gives you kind of like a drum beat. Yeah. And I'll just be really honest, because that's what this show is about. I have actually thought several times in my life I should buy one of one of those boxes. I think I would play that pretty well because I remember watching him at the time going, ah, that's my level. Yeah, I love a box. Can I drum along to songs all the time? And here's a special box that's built to just tap your fingers on to drum along. So that's why I remember it so fondly.
S2: I think the song from.
S3: Know Something About Cake. Cake by the ocean. No, that's Joe Jonas.
S2: Joe Jonas.
S4: I know the.
S2: Song. It's still a it's still a family based band also.
S3: So was there something about being on the ocean?
S2: No. When you said cake, you were close, I reckon, because. Isn't it. Isn't it?
S4: Shake it, shake it.
S8: Shake, shake, shake it. Yeah. Shake, shake by the ocean.
S2: I just thought we should play 20s of it. To remember the box.
S3: Yeah. Listen for the box.
S9: You've fallen in love. Let me go now. Sign me up. Here we go now. Does it like this when you do it like that? It's like this when you touch her right back. If she moves like this. Will you move it like that? Come on. Where's the box? Where's the box? There it is. Shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake.
S3: Yeah. There's box in there. Is there? There's a box.
S2: He's playing a.
S3: Lot of box. The trained ear can hear it. The percussionist's ear can hear it. It's lower beat than I remember it being. It's. Yeah. It's good. She's just nodding away going. You got it, mate.
S2: Funny you talk about buying a box there because it's the exact same show that you had your kangaroo boots on, trying to prove that you could jump higher than a grandpa.
S3: Another great purchase.
S2: We won't listen to that. But the late, great Peter Harvey, who was a mentor of ours, he was a legend. He was on the radio station.
S3: The chairman of the parent company that owned the radio station. So a very high up, lovely individual.
S2: Took time out of an executive meeting to come down and leap.
S3: Came to the rooftop. And I think Harvey's was 80 plus or around, let's say around about 80 at the time, maybe late 70s. And in his suit, total legend. Just give it his all like focus on the just focus on the box.
S2: We had what looked like a small I think we had.
S3: It was a crash mat.
S2: Yeah. Crashed. But I think we had a look what looked like a low bar from a high jump. Like I think he had to jump over.
S3: Oh yeah, maybe he did, but it was sort of like a, it was like the kind of box you might get six bottles of wine in a small wine box. And he leapt over it with ease and hands in the air, pumped. His fist was so excited, and I don't think I could clear it on the kangaroo boot.
S2: You couldn't clear it. It was proving that the boots that were meant to give you extreme bounce couldn't out leap a grandpa.
S3: Be honest though, I was not bad in those boots.
S2: You're not bad. They were bad. Yeah, the design of the boots were bad. I'll cop that you were. You were bad. Here, I want to take us back to 2005. So this is before drive show Saturday morning.
S3: Show him the dark recesses of our career.
S2: It said interview with Nicky Hilton and Kimberly.
S3: Who's Kimberly?
S2: Exactly what I thought. What are you thinking, Mike?
S4: Is it Kim Kardashian? It isn't.
S8: Oh.
S4: This would be.
S3: Although we did have Kim Kardashian on the show. She came in to promote Pepsi one day, came into the studio.
S2: And we were like, we're not having Kim Kardashian. We don't know who.
S3: She's a flash in the pan. And then and she was taking pictures of herself in there and it was like we were like.
S2: Whoa, yeah. And we were.
S3: We'd never seen anyone take a selfie. We're like, get over yourself. And then we were. Then we heard that she was getting paid $20,000 to talk about Pepsi on Twitter. We're like, that's fake. There's no way anyone in the world would get that much money to promote something on social media. Wrong. It was our first step.
S2: To being knowing that we're kind of old and out of touch, because we got asked to reconsider several times from our producers, and then upper management. Can you please have Kim Kardashian on? I think she registers with the young people and we're like, oh.
S3: No one likes this. She's just not a name.
S8: And here she.
S2: Came. Um, it was Kimberly Stewart. Rod. Rod Stewart's daughter, Nicky Hilton. There's no way you remember what they're out for.
S3: Good luck. Was it not? They didn't do the good life. Do.
S2: That was another one where they've come out for another brand.
S3: Oh, it was a brand. Yeah. So Nicky Hilton and Rod Stewart's daughter, Kimberly Stewart.
S2: And what I think is going to happen is 2005. We're going to be flirting. We're going to be. I feel.
S3: Like there's no two ways about.
S2: It.
S3: I mean, there's no chance I'll hear myself playing it cool in any way. I couldn't even play it cool being on air with you. Like, I'm just too excited and bumbling everywhere.
S2: Yeah. So that's what I'm. I'm nervous to listen back to this. Yeah. But I think you've.
S3: Got you've I mean, you're in charge of choosing them. Good on you for making us face our demons. But before we before we get to that, we're going to take a quick break.
S2: Then we'll get to it.
S3: Wonderfully said. Let's see what we've got.
S2: Marshy. Tell us what they're out for. What? What brand were they out for?
S4: Uh holeproof. Pants. Pants.
S3: Oh, okay. So I didn't even know that was an international brand. I always thought that was an Aussie brand.
S2: It probably.
S4: Was. I think it was.
S2: Back then.
S4: They were doing a model search for a new.
S3: Model ant's pants person.
S2: Okay, right. All right, good luck.
S8: Ham.
S4: The 1st of October, 2005.
S10: The time is on your Saturday morning.
S6: Well, it was very exciting because during the week, Andy and I grabbed ourselves a little recording machine. A couple of mikes drove out to.
S2: A shopping camp.
S6: Which will remain secret location will remain secret, and then a couple of young girls from America. It was Nicky Hilton and Kimberly Stewart. This is what they had to say. Well, guys, we're here at the back of a shopping center. This is probably the most glamorous place we've ever conducted an interview. you welcome Kimberly Stewart and Nicky Hilton.
S8: Hi.
S6: So you guys are out here doing a fancy pants thing. Do you get into the underpants at all yourselves? Looking for the it girl or do you just judge?
S11: Um, we were just here to judge, to find the new girl that will be doing the commercial with us this weekend.
S10: What I find interesting is you're judging for the girl that can party the hardest. How it said that. It said that on the press release.
S12: No, it did not.
S10: It did. It said who's got the the stamina to party hard.
S12: No, she has to be fun. But she doesn't have to party the hardest.
S6: Are you going to show her a bit of a good time?
S12: Yeah. She'll have fun with us.
S10: Well, okay. If it was a party off between you two and, say, Paris and Nicole Richie, who would win the party off?
S11: Um, I think Paris might win.
S12: Paris would win all of us under the table.
S6: Really? Just by herself. She beat both of you.
S12: All three of us.
S6: Can I just ask your. What is that called, a BlackBerry or something like sidekick? Your little sidekick thing. It's like a little portable email thing. Yeah, it's jewel encrusted.
S12: Yes it is.
S6: That's amazing. Is it expensive or is it. Are they like, fake jewels? Did you do it yourself?
S12: They sent it to you.
S11: Whiskey crystals.
S6: They're crystals.
S11: But mine has like ten left because I always drop it every second.
S2: Do people cash in on that and come and grab your little crystals?
S11: Um, no, not that I know of.
S6: Has anyone ever done that to you guys? Like, run up and grab something and sold it and gone. Oh, wow. Kimberly Stewart touched this.
S11: Not that I know of.
S2: We'll be the first. Give me that one question I wanted to ask. Like the winner of this, this thing gets to be in an ad with you guys. What's she going to be doing? Are you guys sure you don't want to let her, you know, steal the limelight? Um, is she an ant?
S12: Yeah. She's an she's an ant eater.
S2: So, I mean, what's what's her.
S8: Role?
S12: Her role is to just be with us and look pretty and hang out with us.
S6: Isn't that your job as well?
S12: Yeah.
S11: Job to make the clothes look good.
S2: That's true. You do a very good job of that. Now, I noticed that there was no guys out there. A bit sexist.
S12: No, there was guys.
S11: Some dudes.
S2: But they can compete to be in the film.
S11: Oh, no. I think they were just coming to check out the models. I don't think they think they didn't actually enter.
S12: The same reason you guys are here.
S2: No, I didn't look. Well, as soon as they were in Andy's, my Hamish had his hand over my face.
S6: I don't want it. He doesn't need to see that.
S8: It's.
S6: He gets all excited and have to buy him an ice cream. And you know how it is at shopping centres with.
S12: Kids to the zoo.
S6: Exactly, exactly. Now, how tall are you?
S12: Five. Ten.
S6: That's pretty tall, cos you're sort of like on our height with heels on.
S12: Yeah. Yeah. How tall are you?
S6: I don't want to brag, but. Six four.
S2: I'm seven eight.
S8: I'm.
S2: I do lie around gorgeous girls and I get nervous in social situations.
S6: So we're also jet fighter pilots. Jesus, you guys look terrific wherever you go. And, you know, we see you guys a lot in magazines and stuff. How long does it take to get ready?
S11: I actually take really fast. I probably take like, 25 minutes to get ready. I'm very easy.
S12: Yeah, I'm 20 minutes.
S6: Oh, 20 bit better.
S8: Yeah, a little.
S6: Bit better than.
S8: Nikki. Two and a half winning.
S2: It's turned into an auction. Do I hear 17?
S8: 17.
S6: If you struggled, could you do Ten.
S8: Kimberly.
S6: One. Nicky's. One Nicky has one with one.
S8: It takes one minute.
S6: Well, guys, you look stunning. Thanks for coming to Australia. Thanks for.
S8: Joining.
S12: Us. For having us.
S11: Bye, guys.
S8: Bye.
S3: Sure. How necessary was to keep reminding them that they look great? But that was a real interesting worm race there between us, wasn't it? For a while, I was like, oh, Andy's gone way too hard on this. And then I'd say something terrible like, oh no, he's the biggest creep. And then Andy would come roaring back in with like.
S2: Um. And we both needless to say, neither of them handed us their numbers. Yeah. Hey, we got back in the Nissan Pintara.
S3: Hey, guys, what do you say we go grab a bubble tea up in the food court? This has been amazing.
S8: That was fun to listen to.
S3: Oh. Not really.