S1: A listener production to cuddly boys overloading the bromance quota meter.
S2: They're so cute.
S1: It's Matt and Alex. All day. Breakfast.
S3: Well, yes. Alex Dyson is here. Had a weekend in the sun at the beach in sunny Warrnambool. But I'm hoping that out of the ashes of the cyclone. Alfred, do we have a Matt Okine?
S4: Oh, man. I gotta tell you, I. I was not loving the weekend at all. I've got plenty, plenty to update you on, but I think for now, just to begin the show with something a little bit lighter. Let's all give a big shout out to National Meatball Day.
S3: Oh well, you'd think we're not talking about weather, but ever since the film cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs came out, that is very weather based. No shout outs to anyone celebrating. I think National Meatball day in the States. Matt, you are. You're a big fan of the meatball.
S4: I, I don't have enough, to be honest. They. I tried to get Sophia onto it, but she doesn't like it. But then if she has spaghetti with mints, she likes that. And I'm like, kid, it's the same thing. It's just one is just bunched up together, like, come on.
S3: Yeah, but you, you do know the same way that brown M&Ms taste worse than the other colors. Um, the color and shape of things, Matt affects the flavor. That's why red cars go faster. It's the UN universal truths of our time.
S4: Oh, well. Shout out to everyone enjoying our National Meatball Day. Let's dive into some recaps about the wild weather across the weekend. This is Matt and Alex all day breakfast. Hope you're having a good one.
S5: Let's get this show on the road.
S6: Let's go. Here we go. Here we go, here we go.
S7: Gotta tell you, I was glued to.
S3: The algorithm that was showing the sand washing away on the Gold Coast beach. Nice. And. Yeah, just feeling scared for everyone I knew on the Gold Coast, including Annalise's mum and brother living up there. We were getting updates. Matt Okine but you were living it in the. In the heart of Brissy I guess. Saturday. Finally a good excuse not to go look at properties. Um, but tell us how. How did you go?
S4: Mate, I did feel sorry for anyone who was planning on buying or selling a house this weekend. I know that there's much more things to, you know, bigger things to worry about.
S3: But with the auctions cancelled on Saturday, everything seemed to be shutting. What was going on?
S4: I reckon you could have picked up a bargain if you did like it was. It was. Only the bravest. Would have been putting their hand up for that, and then you would have had to deal with the fact that there was a chance that the roof on the house that you just bought was gonna disappear.
S3: Yeah. Going, going, gone. When it comes to the roof of the property you're bidding on. Um, so how how fast did the winds get? How much rain was falling on you? How did the family go in these tricky circumstances, Matt?
S4: Well, look, it's no secret that Cyclone Alfred was a bit of a one minute man on his first appearance. And, you know, it was a very quick little play with, with, with Brisbane and then and then it was over and everyone sort of thought, oh, is that it? Is that all you got? But I tell you what, he went hard uh, on Sunday like it was pouring for like 12 hours straight. There was water like pouring underneath our house, pouring in from the neighbour's side. Our pool is absolutely disgusting because there's this sort of piece of land that they're building a house on a couple of doors up, and it's just red dirt, and all of that dirt is now at the bottom of our pool there. Like I had the broom out. I was sweeping water away from the from underneath the house. It was it was so stressful, man. Like I because I tell you what, I have lived, I have lived the last 17 years not owning a home and not owning the home that I lived in. And so I've lived in a unit these things have never like it's never affected me.
S3: Body corporate. Sort that out.
S4: Yeah, exactly. And now it's like I'm the body corporate. It's so stressful. Like suddenly you're realizing how things can just disappear in a second and and. Yeah, so I didn't I didn't enjoy it one bit. We we disconnected all the gas and everything, um, for the last couple of days. So we're only cooking on a barbecue, and that's pretty pointless when there's 60ml of rain tumbling down on you at all times. We've got pots of water on the stove just in case the water cuts out. Belinda's mum in Ballina has been without power for two days a day and a half, so we don't know whether everything in the fridge is going to go. It's like it's it's the uncertainty. Alex Dyson that is the problem.
S3: Goodness me. Yeah. So you you didn't lose power in your suburb in in Brissy.
S4: No, there's some people did and some people didn't. and that's why we were kind of on edge. We had all this food in the freezer. We're like delegating, okay? If the power goes, we're starting with the homemade sausage rolls. They got frozen a few weeks ago. We're moving on to the spag bol. The mince is going to be the last one to get turned into a burger. We don't know what we're getting, so.
S3: Flat and round is okay for mince but spherical like a globe?
S4: Yes.
S3: That's the Sophia.
S4: But um. But no. And also we you know, it was Belinda's birthday on Friday, so we had this, um, dinner planned with, with a couple of friends in the Valley, which was this. I talked about it before on the podcast, but it's like a six seater special little Japanese restaurant, invite only.
S3: Yeah, I remember you mentioning that.
S4: We made the booking in October, but of course, Saturday night rolls around and they're like, look, we we can be open if you want. And we were like, we are friends live in a flood zone. So they weren't they weren't really amped at the idea of going into dinner while their house could end up, you know, halfway under water. Plus, our babysitter for the night had to drive 40 minutes from the coast coastal area, so she wasn't exactly jumping out of her boots to come and look after Sophia while we're eating is, you know, ten course meal. So we had to cancel it. But the good news is we have a new reservation. Belinda's birthday dinner will now be in August, so that's exciting. We. We've gotten.
S3: Well.
S4: Just a little six month delay. That's fine.
S3: Well, it sounds like I was somewhat similar to the position I found myself in, where a lot of the rumor mill was heating up last week that Prime Minister Anthony Albanese would call the Australian election this weekend to make it an April election with, you know, and it's obviously good looking after the people of Queensland, our fellow Australians, and concentrating on that and not distracting it with, you know, this bloody popularity contest that comes around every three years, going to push that back a bit longer. That means the campaign Meadow keen are rebooking once again the ten course menu.
S4: You've got to keep doing it. But do you know what was so annoying to me? Like there's all this discussion about how this cyclone was man made. Was there? And that I think.
S3: Like we.
S4: We have you not.
S3: Go along with different internet forums. Matt Okine when it comes.
S4: Have you not heard about this? People people are genuinely on Facebook claiming that this cyclone was man made by the US for some reason, right? But it also goes into cahoots with the idea that the Australian government is using it as a political tactic, and that they were working in the pockets of, of Bom, the Bureau of Meteorology. Right.
S3: Oh, boy.
S4: How I got to tell you, if you do get in, you know, elected to the seat of Wannon. Can you give us a few months of sunshine, please, if that's the power that you've got as an elected politician in this country?
S3: Yeah. Getting the weather machine up and going. We could give the farmers a bit more rain down here if I was doing that one. Goodness. Um. Look.
S4: So.
S3: Yeah, it's it's a stressful time. People would be stressed in many different ways. And I'm very glad that you are safe and sound. And the family is safe and sound. Matt Okine. A very difficult time for southern Queensland and northern New South Wales people.
S4: Yes, yes, we are bone dry, safe and sound. But I want to hear what you got up to over the weekend. So let's dive into it. Hey.
S8: La la la la la la la la la la la la la. Yeah.
S3: I started a new job on the weekend.
S4: No. All right, come on. Let me let me add it.
S3: Well, it sort of started with an old job. An old job back in the day of, um, emceeing at music festivals because a ripper music festival here in south west Victoria, the Port Fairy Folk festival. Absolutely iconic weekend every year um, was happening, was lucky enough to go along and got given the task. Matt Okine to introduce the one and only Missy Higgins.
S4: Oh my god.
S3: Stage.
S4: Queen.
S3: I know, and it's a second trip to the southwest recently because she popped up with G flip at the triple J one night stand down in Warrnambool last year. Okay, now back in Port Fairy, which was so sick. Um, absolutely smashing it. Can you believe like Sound of White came out 20 years ago?
S4: Yeah. Belinda went to the, um, that that the 20 year storytelling session of it.
S3: Really? How was that?
S4: Oh, I loved it. Loved every single second of it. She was talking all about, you know, some of the classics, um, the special two, you know, talking about what that song was about. Uh, yeah. Though there was some really good stories coming out of it. I was very jealous.
S3: The brilliant thing about emceeing, and I recommend anyone else go into it, people remember always remember you did a really good job the less that you do, um, the quicker you go from lights going down and Missy Higgins coming on. The better. Oh, he did a great job. Like, I could just walk out and say Missy Higgins and then walk off. And people were like, brilliant.
S4: Yeah. No one. No one's there to hear you. They want Missy.
S3: Exactly right. So that was wonderful. But I did start a new job as well the next night because finally, after months of getting boxes ticked, photos checked off, bank accounts and things and everything, I did my first ever shift as an Uber driver.
S4: Did you really?
S3: Yep.
S4: Now, is this in response? Is this somewhat of a boycott of the taxis as well? Is this why you did that? Because. No, no, I saw.
S3: It is awful.
S4: Story. Awful story that came out of Adelaide with a taxi driver and, um, and a Aussie radio host, Ali Clarke, who got some terrible things said to her by her taxi driver because she wanted to go a short fare and he refused. So he was telling her to get out of her car and then telling her it's really, honestly awful stuff. He's since been fired, but I've got to tell you, it keeps happening. I don't know, I don't know how many stories need to keep coming out until the actual industry gets a wake up call.
S3: Well, I yeah, I mean, it's quite short trips around Waterville, so I wasn't making absolute bank, but I went down, found my first people, picked them up, go for a bit and then I had to they asked the question, how long have you been doing this? And I'm like, well, I'm going to be honest with you guys. This is my very first one. And they all went, hey, it was like two parents and two kids who were in Warrnambool for a tennis tournament. We had a great chat as we went around, so that was good. I dropped him at the at the wait.
S4: Wait wait wait wait wait, why are you doing this? Is this just to meet people?
S3: It's two pronged. Um, running as an independent. I mean, it's a it's a 12 month thing I'm doing for $0. You know, because I think it'll be, um, I think it'll be good for the area and the country having independence in parliament. But you do have to a lot of a lot of meat, a lot of people, and spend a lot of time. I'm like, well, maybe I could combine meeting people with, you know, getting six bucks to drop them at the pub. So now I got to tell you and I got to tell you, it is a game changer, man. The amount of people I met are really nice. And particularly, you know, it's usually with these kind of things. It's younger people on the apps. So I met a couple of dudes going somewhere. He's like, oh, can you drop my mate here and then take me to the pub? I can pay you cash afterwards. I'm like, bro, just don't worry about it. I'll just it's on my way home. I'll drop you. He's like, thanks so much, man. And he found out I'm running for Parliament. And it's that thing where, like, I drop him off and he just go into the pub because he's meeting friends, so he'll go like, oh, guess who just dropped me off and tell the friends like.
S4: Hey.
S3: So dude.
S4: This is unbelievable.
S3: This is this is my new hobby. And it's like exciting. Like, when the thing goes off, you're like, oh, there's a ride. So I like, press the thing and I go, I go and pick him up, which was great. But, um, I was like, I'll do one more because it was just around Warrnambool. It's like 5 or 6 minutes to go different places. But then there was one person trying to find them, like I called him because I couldn't find where they were, like, oh, we're at the bottle shop. And I went around to the bottle shop and I picked up the two drunkest people in Australia. A daughter and a mum that had been at a hen's party. And the it was the most entertaining. And like, I was like, oh, this could go south because like, oh, we've lost our thing. We had the bottles, it's in the dark. They got the phone cameras on. I was like, can you put on some music? Put on Dom Dolla? And I'm like, I'm like, oh, here we go. And then I go, Hey Siri, play Dom Dolla miracle maker. And they're like, you know, the song? And then they were gone 20 minutes out of town. So I drove him 20 minutes out of town and dropped him off. And, um, yeah, it was just quite an entertaining evening, really.
S4: Now, now, just out of interest, how did you how much money did you make?
S3: All right. I've done a total of ten trips, and I have made $105.97 in an evening. Ten trips.
S4: And when did you finish? When did you wrap up for the night?
S3: Um, I got home about 11:15, I think, because after that one I'm like, oh, it could be diminishing returns here because 100 bucks us. I don't know how much a steam clean to get a bit of vomit out of the out of the Uber is. But if all if if I took one more, I'd just lost it all.
S4: You you stood on the edge of the WWE rink and took one look and turned around and went back inside. They Undertaker hadn't even come out yet.
S3: But it was really, really great. Everyone was really nice. So just keep an eye out for me on the, uh, the roads of Warrnambool. If you need a lift somewhere.
S9: Order up.
S10: Just how you like it. Perfect.
S11: Click click click click click click click.
S1: Fish. Click fish.
S7: Yes.
S3: Producer James back for a little bit of click fish. I mean Matt and I have told us told everyone about our weekends. James. But what did you get up to over the last couple of days?
S4: Uh, I've.
S12: Got a new hobby in my late 30s. I'm brewing my own kombucha.
S4: Oh, wow.
S3: On the booch.
S12: On the booch.
S4: How do you. How do you start, mate?
S3: Oh, I've seen someone's kombucha. And the scoby gives me nightmares. That's all I'll.
S4: Say.
S12: The scoby is funky, I gotta say. Uh, so it's similar to, you know, your sourdough. You have a starter, you buy the Scoby, which is, you know, where all the good bacteria comes from. You chuck that in a big jar.
S3: It's like a floppy, white creamy, congealed blob of bacteria that you put in the jar.
S12: Yeah.
S4: And their hotels, aren't they? You have Scoby hotels a scoby. Sounds like something you need to show your doctor. You know what I mean? It's like you should like. It should be like, hey, bro, you need to get that Scoby checked out. That's not good.
S12: Yeah. It's not it's not the nicest thing to look at, I gotta say. And there's a fine line of like, am I doing this right? Or is this growing, like, mold? You know, I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm not too sure, but I've bottled my first batch, so that's in the fridge, ready to go. It's fizzing up, so it's it's good. I think I've had a bit of a taste. I think it's I think it's good for a first batch.
S3: And what flavours are you chucking in with the Scoby in the jar?
S12: Got a bit of a tropical one to start with. I bought a premade flavour kit so that's all. All good. So yeah, it's kind of a a tropical vibe.
S4: Well, I look forward to you. You know, launching your own wellness channel on Instagram. I'm very, very excited.
S3: Keep it eye out. Well, alongside that, James, you have been trying to find the worst clickbait article in the week that we dare not click on, but actually kind of attempted to. What did you uncover?
S12: Yeah. So this one for this week is man who broke the record for time spent in world's quietest room, reported experiencing several horrifying side effects.
S3: I've heard about these quiet rooms, and it does sound a bit scary because it's so quiet in there. Like, you make a noise and you can't hear it because it just goes like the walls dead in it so quick. You've just got the sound of like, your blood going through your head or something. It can send you insane. First of all.
S4: I guess pounding.
S3: Before we guess what the side effects are. Can you tell us how long he lasted to get that world record? James?
S12: Yes. So this guy is Callum McGinley. He's a YouTuber, and the record he set was one hour and 26 minutes in the anechoic chamber. The previous record was set in 2019 and that was 67 minutes. So you did a pretty good job.
S4: See, this is one of those things that doesn't sound like it would be hard. Like, I truly feel like I could do it. Yeah, but.
S3: I've sat through terrible movies that have gone for 90 minutes and thought, I need to get out of this so I at least could go 90 minutes. You'd hope.
S4: What's his, what's his name and age again? What's his age?
S12: Uh, I think he's in his 30s.
S4: Okay. 30 year old guy, uh, spends a long time in a silent room. I'm gonna guess the terrifying symptom was he left and decided he didn't want to start a podcast. That that was his the side effect. He was like, silence is actually okay. I don't need to share my opinion.
S3: Um, I, I reckon I reckon I'd actually be able to beat this dude because I've had a lot of training, like the amount of medical comedy shows I've sat through. Absolutely dead silence in the room.
S4: Just the blood pulsing through your veins. It was horrifying.
S3: That's all you could hear? Uh, no. Oh, is it like. Is it painful to hear after, like, your ears adjusting to that sort of thing afterwards?
S4: Or does it, like, affect his sense of taste or something weird like that? I don't know. What's the horror? What's the horrifying side effect?
S12: So he had a few things that happened to him. You're kind of on the money. He had a burst of extreme tinnitus in both ears, followed quickly by pressure in his head, and had visions of lights flickering around the room. But again, the other big thing he touched on, which I think you're you're right about, is that he said he could hear his own blood running through his body, but at first he actually thought it was the sound of the London Underground because he was in a chamber in, in London. Um, but it was actually the blood rushing through his head.
S3: Oh, boy.
S4: I mean, all the other symptoms, they're they're similar to what it's like being me at one of my gigs as well. Just blinded by the lights. Sudden, like pressure in the head, like, oh my God, what am I doing?
S1: Ah.
S4: Um. So yeah. No, we can relate. Um. All right. Well, thank you very much, James. Hopefully he can. The gentleman who, you know, broke that record could, uh, you know, leave the chamber and do the first thing he wanted to do with being able to hear again, which was listening to him. Episode of Matt and Alex all day. Breakfast.
S3: Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what happened. So thank you to you, Callum, for listening. And thank you to you, not Callum for listening. I really appreciate you tuning in for another edition of Matt and Alex All Day Breakfast. We've got another big app for you tomorrow, so sit tight and we'll see you then.
S4: Bye bye.
S1: That's it. The all day breakfast kitchen is closed. Got something to add to the show? Slide into our DMs at Matt and Alex.