S1: A listener production.
S2: That cleaning spills and split and bills. It's Matt and Alex all day breakfast.
S3: All right. Do you think there was a horror quake in California? Did you see that? Well, I assumed when they said that horror quake in Hollywood that it was a new movie alongside Sharknado. And like the Meg.
S4: You know, you know, Shaq would be in that movie Horror Quake like a basketball that accidentally sets off some epic storm after he dunks so hard on someone.
S3: It would be something like that.
S4: But no, apparently it was an earthquake. First they were hit with a hurricane. Okay. Because there's a tropical storm. Hillary has been sweeping through California and then they got the earthquake.
S3: Who was it? The bureau. Surely they know what they're doing because as they get named, as I go through, I think it's each letter of the alphabet, isn't it? Yeah. And it got up to H. Why did they choose? I'm sure it's someone who's going for Donald Trump's three.
S4: Yeah. You're on that election campaign.
S3: They go, What are we going to call this one? It's a hatch coming up. We got Helen.
S4: Yeah, yeah. If anything's good. A bloody ruin in America.
S5: All right.
S3: All right. I just say, look into the bureau. I don't know who was on that shift, but just see whether they've got a little red baseball cap on. That's all I'm saying to you.
S4: Well, look, hoping everyone is okay in America. They've been here and they spelt.
S3: It with one L instead of two or vice versa. But I reckon they knew what they were doing.
S4: Well, I mean, you know, there's only one l left after she took the other l i in the last election.
S3: Oh, it's interesting. Like this week, Donald Trump having to go and get, I guess, quote unquote arrested in Georgia because he got indicted on another charge.
S4: I heard that he's planning on doing it tomorrow to take away from the because the Republican debate is happening today. Yeah. And so as soon as like all the conversation around that is just going to get sucked out of the room by getting arrested. I mean, the guy is just out there. Yeah.
S3: Look, anyway, we've got other things to talk, more important things, but things closer to home and nothing's closer to home. Do you know.
S4: What? Why was I doing all this press for mother and son when I could have just gotten impeached? I don't know what I was thinking.
S3: Yeah. There seems to be no such thing as bad publicity. He leads the next closest Republican frontrunner, Ron DeSantis, by about 40 points.
S4: Even though he's been arrested, as in running the country from jail, people would still be like, Hey, go.
S3: I read a Guardian article saying it's his best chance to avoid jail is become president.
S4: All right.
S3: So anyway, we're talking about things closer to home, but nothing's closer to home. In fact, about 1.2m away from me right now sits Meadow Kine. He is here. I got to catch up last night. We're going to talk all about it and why in a moment. This is Matt and Alex all day. Breakfast.
S6: This is just the start. Everyone ready?
S7: Let's get this show on the road.
S8: Let's go. Here we go. Here we go. Here we go. Matt and Alex all day. Breakfast.
S3: Well, it was an absolute pleasure last night to wander along to Federation Square and check out the first two episodes of the brand new ABC series Mother and Son, starring and co-written by Mr. Matt O'Connor, who sits in the same room as me right now, mate.
S4: Can you believe we're all in the same? We could all touch, reach out to each other and touch hands. Let's do it. Come on, Bron. Reach out. Reach out. Can't reach anyways. Now, look, it's really great that it's finally out there, you know, tonight, because it's been nerve wracking and there's been elements to it, obviously, that have been quite, you know, complicated when you're looking at putting together a show. It's quite a complex kind of beast to be making, especially with the amount of criticism that's been, you know, thrown around regarding even the idea of remaking it. And then, of course, the situation with Denise Scott, who has just shown to be an absolute hero.
S3: But that's what I wanted to chat to you about, because the show is great. You should definitely go and watch it tonight on ABC. But the fact that Australia was one of the best and most well-loved comedians, Denise Scott managed to film the whole series whilst doing chemotherapy.
S9: Yeah.
S3: For cancer. How are you able to explain just what had to happen in order for this miraculous achievement to take place?
S4: It was so amazing. I will say, like genuinely amazing. I think everyone on set was in awe of her because chemo is I mean, it's poison. Like they're literally poisoning you. So imagine you're getting poisoned and then you've got to do a 12 hour day where you're just doing the dumbest shit. Like, it's so silly. Yeah. Like every there's.
S3: A lot of there's a lot of waiting around on film sets.
S4: Yeah, well, not in this set because she's in every single scene so she's in it's mother and son. She is the number one actor. She is in literally every single scene. So like that she was 12 hours a day. And it's not little scenes. Like there'd be times where she's going like, Matt, could you just written a scene where I was sitting in a chair, for God's sake, why am I dancing through the living room, jumping on the couch, running around with an urn, smoking? You had to do this smoking scene? No. Matt, Why would you do that to our national treasure? Denise? And what are you doing that were in the script?
S3: Are they. Are they like fake cigarettes?
S4: And you're using fake cigarettes? And even some of them we had to like. I mean, I don't want to give too much of the movie magic away, but you actually have to like add smoke like VFX, some smoke.
S3: CGI smoke.
S4: Is so good, which I tell you what, when you're like, Oh, when you've been making a show for five months and you're like sitting there going like, okay, currently the smoke looks a little bit like she's a dragon. Can we just, um, can we just make the jets of cigarette smoke just plume a little less long? Lengthy emails describing the way smoke should come out of people's mouths. It's like, what am I doing.
S3: To make it less look like Denise Scott is destroying King's Landing from Game of.
S4: Thrones? But yeah, look, I can't say I can't talk too much about Denise's experience because I'm not Denise. But what I can say from my perspective is that she was just someone who who lifted the spirit of the, um, the whole show so much and just, you know, I think everyone in that set put in a little bit of extra because they were like, Well, if she can do it, we can do it. And it really made everyone kind of feel like, Hey, we're doing this for a good reason.
S3: Absolutely. And the amazing thing is you had to sort of start filming a little bit of it like Austin Powers, where, you know, Mike Myers plays both Austin Powers and Dr. Evil. And so when Austin Powers is talking to Dr. Evil, it's some other person in a ball.
S4: Tracy.
S3: Tracy So and so when Denise was off getting chemotherapy to try and help deal with her cancer was Tracy you said was standing in for Denise.
S4: Had never acted in her life by the end was basically directing the show just like it just just got a full blown crash course She had honestly never directed. She just she her son and daughter are actors. And so she would often look at their like agents, castings and stuff. And one day they were like, Hey, we need someone who looks exactly like this. Who is this height? Who has this color hair that's this long? And Tracy was like, That's me, I think. And then suddenly is on set every single day of the week of the whole shoot. Two months standing there every single day ready, pretending to dig holes, pretending to lie on chicken coops and run through the streets, you know, like it was. Yeah, there was. There was so much that we had to, you know, that she had to do and learn in the moment.
S3: And how's that for you? Just sort of pivoting a little bit like personally as an actor acting. I mean, you've obviously acting alongside Denise. You get to know her. But when Tracy is standing in and you've got to do the same sort of roles but to a different face, how does that sort of play into your acting experience?
S4: I mean, it's fine. It's absolutely fine. It's a little bit weird when you're trying to, like be super dramatic and the person opposite you is holding like a script in their hands and like reading everything.
S3: It's knocked out a shot.
S4: Yeah, but. But no, it's fine. The main thing was worrying about. Denise, because, I mean, you know, my mum died when I was 12 of cancer, of breast cancer as well. So when we found out what was going on, there was never a moment where I didn't think it could turn bad really quickly. And in those situations, you know, it's there's so much more. Like there's so much more at stake than a show. And I never really like I was always worried about that capacity because Geordie is her son in real life, Geordie and Bonnie is a daughter, and Geordie actually worked on the show. He made music, he made, he did the soundtrack. Geordie Laine I think, you know, you would have.
S3: Already Line Yeah, incredible music.
S4: So the whole time I kept just going like, I mean, a show is a show. But a mom is is, you know, irreplaceable. So it was like it just didn't. None of it really mattered. I'm really glad. I'm really glad that what we've got we've got and I'm really proud of the show. But ultimately it's like more important that that Denise Scott is still around and healthy. Well, it.
S3: Just adds an extra element to the incredible achievement of bringing this show to life. Mother and Son, It is premiering tonight, so you get to see the real thing. If you tune in to ABC at 830 or as they always do, there's the eye view. So just watch it whenever you like. It'll be great.
S10: That was my throat.
S4: You don't have to.
S3: I think.
S4: Fine yourself.
S3: I think I recorded that. I think if we go back to the tape, we can. Yep. No, there it is. There it is.
S4: All right, well, look, we're starting off today's episode with that. Growl or whatever it is. It was just.
S3: A background gurgle, I call it.
S4: And we're looking at chess. Have you seen this news coming out of the International Chess Federation? Feed a Fidesz feed.
S3: Instead of FIFA feed day?
S4: Oh, okay. I was thinking more of p-day. You know, Pieds petits.
S3: Bidets are delicious. Yeah. Yeah. I almost bought a p-day the other day, but they're very excited on the stuffed cabbage. Oh.
S4: That's. Yeah. Bronze faces. Wrong. All right.
S3: I think I've been eating too many carbs, and I'm like, This might get me away from. I need to munch bread as well.
S4: It's pretty like I was as I was eating my fish and chips yesterday, I thought too much.
S3: Well, I think the world needs to decarbonize and we need to decarbonize in the same manner.
S4: I'd be shivering in my boots if I was Carbonaro Because that in itself, the name gives it away. Like you can't hide under a bush when you called it.
S3: Yeah.
S4: So International Chess Federation says it's temporarily banning transgender women from competing in its women's event.
S3: So wait. Previously they were allowed to compete in the women's event.
S4: Previously there was no women's event, I believe, as in like a while ago, there was no women's event at all. Then they were like, Oh, let's give.
S3: What the International Chess Federation didn't have a women's event.
S4: I don't think so. You know.
S3: Shooting. Why would you why isn't everyone just in the same event from the. It's been going for thousands of years.
S4: What, shooting trap? Shooting? I think it is. In the 70s, there was just it was just shooting. There was no like men's and women's. Then there was like quite a successful women's shooter who won a silver medal. And the lads are like. Let's give him their own. Let's. Let's give them their own. It's good to promote women in the sport. So bloody weapons. Stop stealing our.
S3: Medals. So prior to that, there was no segregation? No. And they brought it in because a silver went to a female competitor.
S4: Now, here's the thing. The argument is that women having their own events in chess promote women in chess. Okay. Right. So you're trying to you are what you see. And so to have women own the events, then it makes girls go, oh, maybe I can be like that chess star.
S3: Sir. But why can't they be like that chess star who plays in open tournaments?
S4: You're acting like I'm the person who made the decision. I've never follow.
S3: This person on TikTok. I'm watching chess. This girl, amazing at chess, goes and plays people in the park. It's very entertaining. Right?
S4: Here's what they're up against. Women in chess, by the way, as recently as 2015. This is by the guardian.com. It's an opinion piece. But this is a fact as written as recently recently as 2015. Nigel Short, the then vice president of the World Chess Federation. Fader claimed that men are hardwired to be better chess players than women, adding, You have to gracefully you have to gracefully accept that. Now this is what this writer has then written. The English grandmaster went on to explain It was clear men and women's brains are different because he helps his wife get the car out of the garage and she has more emotional intelligence than him. Could you? I mean, that wasn't in like 15, 15. That was in 2015.
S3: So seven, eight years ago. Yeah. Also.
S4: According to this writer, Nigel Short, that guy got beaten by a woman. Judit Polgar has a winning record against.
S3: Him, so they probably went wrong with his hard wiring there in chess. The queen.
S4: The best piece. Yeah. The king is useless. Exactly right. Absolutely. Yeah. What's going.
S3: On here?
S4: Oh, I don't know. Um. I mean, and the idea. Okay, so here's the thing. The most of the arguments about transgender women in sport would revolve around the physicality.
S3: Yes.
S4: Um, I'm not a scientist, so I don't know, but I'm just going to say words like testosterone and estrogen and stuff.
S3: Well, don't be a Nigel and start saying things that you're not qualified to say.
S4: I certainly won't. All right.
S3: I read that both figuratively and literally in the case of this, the.
S4: Thing that I want to bring up. Okay. Because the argument would be for some reason that Nigel thinks that, you know, women aren't hardwired to play chess. Right? A game of the mind, a battle of the mind. Right. Because he backs his partner's car. So it's not like it's not like, Why do.
S3: You say that? Because I.
S4: So it's not my wife's car.
S3: It's not like.
S4: Women can't play chess because they put the piece in the wrong square. Like, that's the argument that he's using because their spatial awareness is slightly different. They might be making mistakes on on what? Where they put the piece. But the other thing is this conversation came up on the weekend because we were at dinner with some friends and my partner was asking about guys wrestling, you know, like not like this sport wrestling, but like. Do you like it? Do you have friends that wrestle?
S3: Oh. Growing up in bloody high school, you'd have a some person who tried, like, put you in a headlock for no reason. Right, Right. Why are we doing this?
S4: I was, like, saying, like, I don't know. There might be some. I mean, I'm sure that there's plenty of women out there who do understand, but there might be some who don't quite understand that, like sleepovers for guys in high school, there would always be like someone who wrestled, like you'd be wrestling and like, you'd be, like, falling off the bed, like wrestling, like, ah.
S3: Let me go, like, too serious too.
S4: Quickly. And that's what you did. And I was talking about it with my partner and our other friend, and I was like, So what was the what was the wrestling equivalent for girls in high school? And they both unanimously agreed. And Brian, maybe you can just help. Help me out of here. If it was just girls being super mean to each other, it seemed like.
S11: What do you mean?
S4: Like being, like pretending to whisper about one another and then, like, giggling. You're like, Oh.
S11: It's like if I was over at a friend's.
S4: Place and two guys started whispering to each other and then laughing and pointing at me, I'd be like, Guys, what? What are you doing? Like, why are you being mean to me?
S3: Would you take the wrestling or the fake whispering?
S4: I'd be like, Come on, just find me guys. There's no need for this psychological warfare.
S11: Well, I don't remember that, to be honest.
S3: Where does farting on the other person's pillow come into this? Because that's.
S4: I mean, that's just childish, okay? And that's. There's no that wouldn't.
S3: Happen to girls sleepovers.
S11: Bron You know what?
S10: I really remember being a things like trying to do an all nighter was like a big deal.
S11: Yeah, but what about against each other?
S4: How did you flex your muscles against each other? Because this seems to be like a psychological warfare, that the girls were able to go against each other. And in this case, when it comes to game of chess, there is nothing more like headstrong and psychologically intimidating than gossiping and pretending to, like whisper about people and telling them they smell and stuff. Just outright bullying. Like, that's.
S11: Brutal.
S10: I don't have memories.
S4: All right. Well, maybe it was maybe it was just the. The circles that I hang out with. Yeah. So, look, as far as I'm concerned. Women are just as hard wired to be playing a game of a battle of the mind. That's for damn sure. But look, who knows what's going to happen with this. Trans women in chess stuff it's going to take apparently could take a couple of years for them to wait for the, um, what is it for them to figure out whether it will affect the game or not? And this a weird thing. Fadi wrote in an email responding to criticism. Of course, men and women are equally intellectually capable, however, in chess as a sport. Other factors like physical endurance may play a role. What?
S10: That was a recent quote.
S4: What am I. Am I. Are we talking about the same game? So doubting that it's tiring.
S3: But hang on. A trans women are going to be weird. Which category do they compete? Are they banned from everything?
S4: I honestly don't.
S3: Know. There was the Miss Italy competition recently. No. In solidarity. A whole bunch of biologically, you know, biologically born women who have transitioned to to male all entered the the Miss Italy.
S4: Know so I believe that.
S3: To show how silly that particular ban was.
S4: No I believe that they're still allowed to play in the open categories. It's just they're not allowed to play against just the women anyways.
S3: Oh, man.
S4: The porn is in your court Friday.
S3: Porn is on your board.
S4: I don't know. I told you I don't watch it much, and it's just given me another reason not to watch it.
S3: Matt, yesterday you told a story here on all day breakfast of rocking up to an extremely fancy lunch. Was it a bottle of moonshine? What did you come with again? It. Was that what you rocked up with?
S4: Yeah. Look, Hayden Quinn, Master chef, Star, you know, very famous television chef cook. Um, great guy. Genuinely such a nice guy. Brought a very nice bottle of wine to everyone that he'd kept under his bed for 18 years. It was a present from his 18th for his from his dad.
S3: Matt said to the drive through bottle. Oh, no, let's just have something slightly fancier. Came in with a $35 bottle of plonk. And I tell you what. Oh man, that's what I did. It absolutely plonked the mood at this particular dinner party. But that is all yesterday. So go back and listen if you like. But it did remind me of like because I was picturing you in this situation, knowing that in your backpack you had this this underdressed wine ready to bring out. I was thinking like, would you go and hide it? What do you do? It reminded me of something that happened while ago now, when my friend was getting married. Okay. I went out to get a. A present to give them for their wedding. Okay. Because I wasn't going to be able to make it. I was there a week beforehand and I went round to their house and what I do, I was in a local art shop and there was this nice looking print. This was like this hand-drawn owl picture local artist. I thought, Awesome, this will be great. That'll look amazing on the wall. Wrap it up, get the gift, Go out there. It's sitting in the car. We're having a bit of a chat and I think before I go, I'll go out and grab it and bring it in and wish them a very happy nuptials. Sitting in the house and my girlfriend at the time, like literally it's like that elbow nudge from a movie, like look up, look up on the wall. I look up on the wall, there is the exact same al hand-drawn prints on the wall. And I think I brought in the present maybe and put it behind the couch. And so I had to go and sort of like pick it up and take it back out of the house to the car because I.
S11: Couldn't give him my.
S4: God, Could you imagine if you'd gotten busted walking out with the present like.
S11: He's.
S4: Stealing my present, You're taking my present back.
S3: But I couldn't believe it. The same gift.
S4: The positive is that, you know, they taste like that. That got.
S3: Immaculate taste. And I went back and there was a few other prints of different animals. I ended up back and going getting a rabbit print. And so they had like now matching matching prints.
S4: So you ducked out. You actually left the party and went and got a new one.
S3: Smoke bombs went back. I didn't do it that day. Like I took about returned it the next day and like drove back out and gave it to them and explained the situation because it was quite hilarious. But yeah, it just reminded me of like when you, you sense in the moment I've got to quickly swap something out here. So we asked you, when have you done the old switcheroo? Lincoln said, I used to carefully peel off the plastic seal on my brother's box of favorites, chocolates and swap over all my crappy bounty and morrow for his good ones. And then just put them back. Very. So you've got two. You eat half of what you want, that you take the good half from the other one. You take them out, load it with the rubbish.
S4: What. No, I don't agree with you with bounty being declared a crappy bar.
S3: But bounty.
S4: Stinks. Nah, but morrow. I mean, come.
S3: On, give me morrow every day of the.
S11: Week. Are you kidding me? It's the New.
S3: Zealand Mars bar.
S4: No, it's. It is. It does not shine a candle to the Mars.
S11: All right? It might not.
S3: Be a mars level, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the.
S4: Bounty. Also, the bounty is isn't the bounty mars. Bounty is Mars. I'm pretty.
S3: Sure I've seen the.
S4: Favorite. So something else? Something else.
S3: Who knows what's going on? We've also got Jake calling us right now today. Jake.
S12: Hey, there you go.
S4: Good. Thanks, Jake. Now, you had a little switcheroo with your housemate.
S12: Yeah. Yeah. So I used to do the old sneaky and just start switches on these out. He's old hole filled bloody undies and just take my ones because we bought the same brand.
S4: And so why. So he just went through his a bit quicker did he.
S12: Yeah I suppose so. I don't know what he was up to. Yeah.
S3: Wait, so he's he used to swap yours in and.
S12: Yeah. I used to take my good ones. Give me the whole one.
S4: Oh there's nothing, there's nothing more annoying than that because I'm sure you'll like me, Jake. You got a couple of nice ones that when it's date night you're working on the you're working on the good ones, and suddenly you find everything's hanging out.
S12: Yeah. I didn't think I was going to notice.
S11: Well.
S3: Sort of holes. Just see seem to appear on Andy's. How do you know that? You weren't just making the holes yourself.
S12: Well, look, I don't know what universe he lived in, man.
S4: This guy's walking around wearing a block. A Swiss cheese, it sounds like. All right, well, look, we hope you're Andy's a hole free now. Jake, thanks very much for getting in touch.
S12: Have a good one. You, too.
S3: And as always, if you've got a last minute switcheroo, don't worry, send them through.
S4: And thank you for listening to another Matt and Alex all day. Breakfast. We sincerely hope we get to see you same time, same place tomorrow.
S3: That's the way we will catch you next time. Until then, bye bye.
S2: That's it. The all day breakfast kitchen is closed. Got something to add to the show? Slide into our DMS at Matt and Dot Alex.