S1: A listener production.
S2: Activate your internet because the Hamish and Andy podcast starts in three two.
UU: Sorry, it's still buffering. One.
S3: Ahoy to me! One. Hamish.
S4: Oh, I hope you two albums or songs?
S3: Ahoy to me 360.
S4: Jack. Oh, are we tricks? No, I'm well, hang on, we're x-boxes. We're Xboxes. Hey. Yes, cause I did feel like a yes. What? What one are you into?
S3: I'm series X.
S4: Is that the new one? The latest iteration? Of course. Just how the cards fell this time around. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I do think when it was a competition between the one and the 360 unlikely to be skateboard tricks. 360, of course. Very impressive trick. A one hard to detect one.
S3: Yeah, one degree movement.
S4: One. One degree movement is, uh, it's not a showstopper. At the X games, one might have even been a two.
S3: A low point scorer on Tony Hawks.
S4: Love it. Love you to Just Keep Going. The other 359 degrees if you think you can get him.
S3: Uh, ahoy! Also to Freya and Jose in Bosnia who are telling us what they've been up to it. Hamish Netcom using the very user. Easy to use system of uploading. Well done guys.
S4: Thank you guys. Endurance athletes.
S1: Ahoy! Hamish and Andy and the number six. Freya and Josie here. Just on our very own Euro gap here at the moment we're in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina, currently watching the Red bull Cliff Diving Championships, which we were watching you guys up there competing, you'd be a shoo in. Cheers. Cheers guys.
S4: A bit of context for people. We have jumped. We have been to that town. There's a very there's a bridge, an old stone bridge. It's about 25m off the above the river. Yeah. That we did jump from that bridge. Yes. Wow. Never do it again. Couldn't actually think of a more accurate analogy between a 360 and a one. Like what the what the Red bull guys are doing is the equivalent of a 361, and 19 is a one. Those guys are diving off fearless, like doing flips and stuff. We stepped off into the abyss. I was convinced I was going to die. Yeah, we both got.
S3: Whiplash, couldn't move our necks for a day and a half, and, uh. And hame uh, half your quite thick wetsuit ended up your bum.
S4: Up my bum with half the river.
S3: With half the river.
S4: The river was about 25m from. Yeah, the bridge. And after a lot of it went up, my bum was about 30m from the bridge, like it dropped. Dropped the volume of the river quite significantly. You could see some fish, some old wrecks from 1600s like really drained the like it got.
S3: Us pretty.
S4: Bad. Got us good. Yeah. Good.
S3: Bruised every vertebrae in my back. Do not recommend. I saw footage of the Red bull, uh, jumpers, though, and they get something that you didn't where they break the water with. They spray the water underneath the jump. Oh.
S4: Yeah, that's true, that's true.
S3: I think what you did was pray for.
S4: I think you.
S3: Jack, make it less painful than hitting a wall at 80 KS an hour.
S4: We need. There needs to be like because Red bull owned the extreme sports. There needs to be like another drink brand, like I'm thinking Bonox, which is the beef drink, which is like what you take on camping in like U9. And you make this the warm, soothing mug of Bonox. There needs to be like the unskilled extreme athletes at that end. Like we could be in the bonox scared man cliff falling competition or like, you know, here's here's a, here's a 45 year old dad and he's never been hasn't been on a mountain bike since he was 12. He's going to have a go at going down this trail. So creaky, squeaking brakes, shitting himself, white knuckles.
S3: I'd watch that.
S4: Terrified middle aged people.
S3: People. Olympics. Um. Ehm. I thought I'd had a special guest start off today's show.
S4: Oh, no.
S3: Unfortunately, I don't fallen through.
S4: That's all right. We try our best on this show. We move on.
S3: Um. Back story a couple of weeks back. My house, my apartment, I just. Bec and I just moved house into an apartment. It got completely flooded.
S4: The, uh. Yeah.
S3: Yeah, I put it a brutal flooding saw.
S4: It was violent flooding. Yeah. It's like a very small version of, um, Splash Mountain at Disneyland.
S3: I, um, was in Sydney while, um, it was happening in Melbourne, so it was a good day for me. Got wind of it.
S4: Saw the saw the initial wet patches on the plaster and went. Might get out of here.
S3: So what had happened was the fire safety guys came round to do what they calls a pressure test. And there's hydrants or pipes at every single level. And if they were to have to run a water up from ground level to one of their pipes, they need to make sure that they've got the right amount of pressure. Yep.
S4: To get right. Not where they say to you, you now have to make a croquembouche in one hour.
S3: No, a.
S4: Different kind of pressure test.
S3: Yes.
S4: Also hard.
S3: Yes. It appears they didn't check whether the pipes were capped at our level.
S5: Ah.
S4: And you need a cap for pressure.
S3: 1000l a second into our apartment.
S4: Thousand liters a second.
S3: That's what the guy said at the bottom. Now, whether that's possible, I don't know whether you.
S4: Thousand liters of sets a bath a second.
S3: That's what.
S4: I. That's more than like how how much would you say a bath is? About 1000l. It can't be.
S3: Even that would.
S4: It can't be even that. It's two baths a second.
S3: That's what the fellow said at the bottom. Wow. Now, whether he's right or not, it's a lot of water. It's a lot of water.
S6: So there are.
S3: Firefighters.
S6: On the top floor, say waiting for the pressure to come. And then it's just getting out at your floor.
S3: There's no one waiting. They fire it up and they realize, yep, it's hold that pressure and they stop. Yeah.
S4: So I think from memory from like year 12 science of pressure. Pressure at one ends, pressure at the other. Like, you know because of if it's the same diameter of pipe. But if it's capped you need a cap, you need something for the water to push against to create the pressure. Because the pressure in that pipe was, was, was nothing was getting out. So couldn't they.
S6: Tell straight away though? They turned the machine on and then.
S3: Well, the test normally takes yeah a few seconds because it goes flying up there really quickly.
S4: And you would assume the needle would like zoom straight into the red if it was capped and they'd be like, yep, that's good pressure. But the needle needle stayed low.
S3: So they're going.
S4: And then if it was you and I there, we'd be like just gutted a bit more. Because we can't leave till we see the needle go up. Just keep rubbing it there.
S3: See at the bottom going, what could possibly happen? Are we sending enough? Water up. Guys, give it a bit. Give it.
S4: Like. Really give it some. We want to see this needle fly. Really?
S3: Give it a bit. Bex in the house. Right.
S4: Oh, man.
S3: So sees reportedly 1000l of second coming under the doors. Right. Flying in. The dog doesn't know what's happening.
S4: Well, no, this is the new apartment now, guys. Yes, this will happen every day.
S3: Beck then starts trying to barricade it with towels, which is difficult because it's it's got quite a pressure. Not that the guys downstairs know that there's pressure there They're still.
S6: Going to send the needle to the top.
S3: The guys downstairs apparently reportedly see water coming out the side of the building in an area vent. That shouldn't happen. And they went, oh.
S4: I wonder if that's anything to do with us. Yes.
S3: So they shut it off. But the damage had been done. Yeah, it.
S4: You don't need too many seconds at that volume, do you know?
S3: So Beck's confused. Runs to the left. We're on the 12th floor. Lifts shorted out. Not not not working. Everything's full of water. She then gets on the group WhatsApp, which she's which she's on for all the other tenants and said, hey guys, I think we're flooding. I think we're flooding. They're like, oh, we can't see anything because it hadn't quite reached their level yet because it was getting redirected from our level because of Beck's barricade. It then starts going through every single apartment.
S4: That's true. The barricade does protect your house, but does kick the kick the problem somewhere else? Yes.
S3: So Beck's getting alerts almost in, like, reverse numerical order.
S6: 11.
S3: Oh, yeah, I'm seeing it now. Oh, yeah, I'm seeing it.
S4: Beautiful day down here on the first love and ground floor. Exactly. You sure you got the right building?
S3: Yeah. And if I was kind of a primary school and used to do stick racing, it would have been exciting to see.
S4: Oh, yeah, that's for sure.
S3: Um, but, yes, every single apartment has been affected. Um, SES came, taped it off, said not safe to be inside. And that was Bex Thursday while I was in zone.
S4: What were you doing in Sydney?
S3: Sunny Sydney at that time, I think having a burger and fries. Great. Hmm.
S4: That's a nice day. So can I ask who's the special guest then? Who are you going to get on? The guy. The pressure tester? Yeah. You were? Yeah. You wanted to hunt. You wanted.
S6: No wonder you didn't want to. Come on.
S4: I can't imagine, I can't imagine what the upside would have been for coming on the show. Tell us about some of the buildings that you haven't flooded. Well, things looked good. Things looked. He was happy to come on.
S3: Because he because Beck went downstairs. When she she got out, she had to go down the stairs to get out. And there's there was two guys a bit younger, quite sheepishly at the bottom, having realised what had happened. Oh, God. And they're like, oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. And Beck's like, hey, it's not your fault. Like, because that's the kind of thing Beck says, yeah, yeah. And the guy quick, quick as you like goes, can you tell my manager that?
S4: Yeah. Why would you manager say he's in the opposite? Because I'm known as the cap guy. I'm meant to put the cap on usually when there's a big flooding situation. Have you had this yet? Because we've had this happen to our house, to the. It seems to be like not only is it like the, you know, the disaster of everything getting flooded, but someone always likes to talk about how cheap the part was that could have stopped it all. Like someone, as someone said to you, like, and you know what? Those caps are $0.50 like, because we had, you know, the little silver flexible what it's like woven steel, flexible pipe. It's sometimes the toilet behind the toilet. Yeah. We had one of those. It was just a too much of an angle like two kinked. And then in the, in the corner, like it just was too much pressure and it started squirting out because you can't see it. It was just going like for a while, for weeks and filled up the wall, like filled up the wall cavity, just like slowly over days, days, days, weeks like fills it all up with water until something gives way. And then there's like kaboom. Like water goes through the house. Every plumber, like every person wanted to tell you, mate, you know how much these are. Yes, I know, I understand. It's very, very cheap part because crazy Crazy thing. And then the next guy be there like some insurance person. Like crazy thing about this part. Guess how much this costs. Yep. No I know $0.80, $0.80 retail I get it.
S3: So it seemed like, um, the young apprentice was keen to come on and talk about what had happened. It was just upper management at this particular company, which I won't name. In fairness, um, has since gone on to us and said we don't find it funny. Um, we're not prepared to laugh about it, and we apologise for all the damage done to each department and all their belongings.
S4: It seems like a safe stance. Seems like a safe bet.
S3: When you said what you know. What are the reasons this person would love to. Come on. I feel our show embraces mistakes. I mean, it's the reason why, Jack, if we.
S4: And if you. And if you and I were those apprentices, I mean, yeah, there would have been a heap of finger pointing at the other guy, guys, but I can absolutely see that being our how we would have been on day one. Yeah. Oh yeah. And we would have given him a hat token of no value. Like, let's not forget the prize package for coming on the show that you could have got to.
S3: So if this if that person is listening, I would in future, not next year. We'll be over it by then, but the next few weeks. If you do want to come on and give us the insight of what was going through your brain when the needle wasn't hitting the red line and you were deciding just to give it a bit more, I'd love to hear that from the horse's mouth.
S4: Open invite.
S3: And people riding in and wanting to play. Tell us something we haven't thought of for a while. It's hard because.
S4: This end of the year is very hard because the rules clearly say yes and we can't change the rules. We just inherited them from the teller someone foundation. Uh, it has to be somebody that Andy and I haven't thought of this year. Yeah. We must produced honest evidence to show how, when and why we thought of that person. That famous person, this year. Often people are very unlucky with the wild scenarios in which Andy thinks of strange, uh, and some you would think forgotten celebrities. Just fair. Um, but rules are rules. And and I'll stand by Andy. Absolutely. To the to to my last breath. So if you thought of if he says it, I believe it. Yeah. Jacko, you've got someone you say for the song we need we. This is something we fail at quite often is remembering all you have to say one during the example. So you got one, Jacko.
S3: Well, before you do that, Jack, let me just quickly go through the hats there on my side here at the moment.
S4: Yeah. Great. What do you got? What do we got? What do you got?
S3: Hey, this is exciting. It's a Sydney water hat signed by Shane Jacobson. Wow. So, um, righting a wrong.
S4: Righting a wrong. We did for a little bit. Put, um, Shane and Sydney water under the microscope for the ads they were running. But nice to see that all. We're all having a laugh about it, and they've provided us with some merch. Yeah, they.
S3: Said that they'd they've sent in some quality hats, uh, signed by, uh, turn it off. Bob himself. I couldn't remember his, um, his actual character name, uh, Shane's name, but, um, I wouldn't say quality. I think they've overstretched their, uh. It's certainly not the lowest form. There's no Velcro. Of course, they put that in brackets, but it's just a plain, very plain blue hat, white piping on the brim.
S4: I don't like that. I know promotional hat companies give you the option of changing the brim piping, but any time you see a different piping on the brim of a cap, you know it's promotional or a sports team. And I just don't think that's what people want to wear day to day.
S3: Still buckle, clasp at the back.
S4: Uh, well, we use the buckle on the must be nice hats, so you certainly won't find two men more proud of a buckle than us.
S3: Second one came in from a company called Dect. They're like a cool, funky USA company. Um. Hey, guys, that's a good.
S4: That's a five piece.
S3: We thought we'd send you a hat so you could use it for chit chat. Champions. Now, we don't actually.
S4: Freeze their Australian PR because they got so close.
S3: They're good. So close. Good hat.
S4: I like that hat. That's good.
S3: It's kind of a yeah a taupe military kind of green. It's got the same kind of style with a bit of paneling. Uh, and then just a snap back at the back, probably the premier hat, I would say, with all due respect. Is that a.
S4: Quick, dry material?
S3: Yes. Uh, and, you know, with all due respect to Shane Jacobson, just a better hat if he'd signed this one, um, you know, that would be the best of both worlds. Finally hammered down, uh, Nosferatu.
S4: Nosferatu. Jim. Jim. There is some deep cuts on today's hats. Nosferatu. Gene. Of course. Named after my dog.
S3: Go back and listen. We can't find.
S4: That episode of the pod, but, uh, yes, certainly a spot in my heart, because Nazi, uh, absolutely loves it. Can can hear me opening the Nosferatu gin bottle from rooms away. And she'll often run in, pop her head on my lap, look at me the way only Narcy can. And I'll go. I'll go on. Then I'll dip my pinky in the gin and let her have a little lick.
S3: Um, I think the best one or. Yeah, yeah. Another great quality hat. It's the kind of that Karpaty thing. Karpaty felty type material. That's good. It's really nice.
S6: But maybe because of how it's been posted, it's almost got an inverted brim. Yeah. It's cup, it's cupping upwards.
S3: Yeah, I'm not.
S4: Very flat hasn't it. It's unlucky for them.
S3: So they're the three.
S4: Hats you'd wear that. Yeah. You don't often see the carpet material. No promotional.
S3: Hat. So there you go Sydney Water, Nosferatu or the decked. Uh, Hime Joe kicks us off today, but Jack obviously will do before that. Will come in with the opener and, uh, throw in someone that he hasn't thought of for a while.
S7: It's been a while since I've thought about Yahoo.
S6: Serious? Oh, yeah.
S3: And it's been a while, Andy.
S6: It really feels like you're a kid trying to kick against Dustin Martin, and he just smothers you straight away. Why is that so easy?
S3: He's a movie out about him. Is there Zac Efron.
S4: About Yahoo series?
S3: I know, that's why it's so. I couldn't believe it. There's a moon. The Australian.
S4: Actor.
S3: Oh, sorry. No, I've gone with Weird Al Yankovic. I was like the guy.
S4: The Australian actor from the early 90s hit Young Einstein. Zac Efron playing Yahoo! Serious? No. Oh, yeah. Weird Al, we think of Weird Al non-stop.
S3: Sorry. No. Unfair to smother 50 metre penalty. Uh, you haven't thought of Yahoo series for ages, right?
S4: That's. Yeah, because I was like, wow, the way Andy's acting here is. Yeah, I get.
S6: I get weird mixes in with Yahoo too differently crazy.
S3: People. And with both both.
S4: Definitely not appearing on the birth certificate. Both first names.
S3: And long crazy hair was a wacky Guys yes yeah crossover. But no no the well known jack that would that would pass. Uh, Joe.
S4: I mean, I'm sorry, I'm just still processing the fact that in my head, Zac Efron was.
S3: Starring.
S4: In all the scripts that he could choose. He decided that he wanted to lend his voice to the Yahoo! Serious story.
S3: To be honest, I was as surprised that he wanted to do the Weird Al. Like, it's not too big. It's not, oh, Mike, I've got this wrong. What is it? Come in. Mike.
S4: Mike absolutely explodes outside when there's a fact wrong.
S8: It's Daniel Radcliffe. That's who it.
S3: Is. It's not. It's not Zac Efron, it's Daniel Radcliffe. Yeah. Still, I thought.
S6: Mike was coming in to say Daniel Radcliffe is the person that Zac Efron is playing in the movie, and that is a weird person to mix up with. No.
S3: Daniel Radcliffe, sorry, is playing Weird Al Yankovic.
S4: That is so strange that I'm intrigued. Yeah, they have Harry Potter playing Weird Al. Yes. That's multigenerational.
S3: Weird al had similar glasses. Maybe that's how they cast him. I read Harry Potter.
S4: Out of respect to Daniel, I reckon he's got more to bring to the role.
S6: Than Zac Efron.
S3: No? Then just weird glasses and wear glasses. Jeez.
S4: What a mess.
S3: All right, that.
S6: Is a mess. Sorry.
S4: That is several people we have heard of. Let's see if we can find someone that we haven't heard of.
S3: This year all over the shop. Ahoy to you, mate.
S4: Ahoy, captains.
S9: And cabin boy. Jack.
S6: Hello, Joe.
S3: Nice. Uh, tell us something.
S9: We have a long intro. That was.
S3: It was? Yeah.
S4: You're telling us, I mean, so sorry and good. Good that you represent the listeners there because everyone's thinking it, and you got to voice it.
S9: Yes, yes, yes, I was laughing, but, uh, there was a lot of stuff that I knew already. And you didn't really have an idea anyway. I think it would have been more accurate. I'm taking a risk because I'm going to name a comedy duo. So that's two people that that, uh, Andy might have run across in his celebrity shenanigans on the hundred. Um, but I'm going to say scared, weird little guys.
S4: Scaries. Oh, I've thought of the Umbilical Brothers this year, but I haven't thought of the Sadies.
S3: I think I've thought of tripod.
S4: It's sort of tripod. Okay. What about bipod? Just the two of them.
S9: I think I was nearly gonna. I was nearly gonna say specifically John Fleming, the tall one from Scary little Guys. Yeah.
S3: No, he's got it. No, that.
S4: Wouldn't have counted because we wouldn't have. I don't know if I know their names, but. Well done.
S3: Yeah, you got it. Well done.
S4: It's clear for me. Well done.
S3: And a comedy song duo from, uh, what? Late late 90s.
S4: Late, I mean, early 2000 are still going really mid 90s.
S3: Mid 90s.
S4: Mid mid 90s to mid 2000. I said Andy, when Andy and I started doing radio, we liked to try and do some funny songs and we had one of our early bosses say, guys, drop the funny songs unless you're as good as the scared weird little guys, no one wants to hear it. So it became we thought about them a lot back in the day, because every time we thought of a funny song, we'd go, is it as good as the scared, weird little guys? Because that's the.
S9: Way they won an aria for the best comedy release as well, which, I mean, you don't have to be anyone to do that. So I thought.
S3: Yeah, I think that was before it was, um, very coveted and hard aria to win.
S4: After that, it became quite a prestigious award. Yeah.
S3: Picked Um. Uh. Joe. Which hat? Nosferatu. Uh, decked. Or a Sydney water sign by Shane Jacobson.
S9: Um, just going to take the Sydney water. Wow.
S3: Sydney water. Wow. Okay. That is a surprise. But, Joe. Well done. Thank you, my friend. Uh, from Joe to Jim. Ahoy, Jim.
S10: Ahoy, boys.
S3: How are we?
S10: Yeah. Good.
S3: Tell us someone we haven't thought of for a while.
S11: Uh. I'm hoping jumping Jai taurima.
S9: Oh.
S6: Good one.
S4: I have, I'm afraid. Really? Um. Yeah, I was, uh, Steve Hooker came up in a conversation the other day, and he jumping. Jai was named in because he was in that same. Was it the same Olympics or are they just both jumping men that represented.
S3: Similar period of jumping?
S4: Similar period?
S6: I reckon Steve came after Jai. Jai was 2000, wasn't he?
S9: Yeah, Jai was.
S4: 2000, but more of a more of an example of like, here's a, here's a track or field event that you don't follow week to week. But certainly when the Olympics come around you're all about it. So I have to say in full faith that Jumping Jai had been mentioned in those.
S3: Sorry, Jim. Nice one to throw in the mix. Very unlucky. Uh, Clinton, Ahoy to you!
S12: Ahoy, Hamish! Andy. Number six. Boy.
S4: Clinton. Who have we not thought of this year?
S12: Uh, Vulcan from the hit show Gladiators. Bad luck? Yep.
S4: No, I haven't. What do you mean? Where did you think of him?
S3: They're bringing gladiators back.
S4: But did you think of Vulcan, or did you think of Gladiator?
S3: I think of when you think of like. And they they did a where are they now? Just recently he's got announced what, probably like eight weeks ago that they are actually returning with gladiators.
S6: Same gladiators.
S3: Not the same gladiators. They'd be a bit old for him.
S4: Not. Not as hard to get around these days.
S3: For people who don't know the show we're talking about, it was essentially you had to combat everyday. People would combat just very, very muscly people.
S4: So combat with padded blocks, stuff like. Yeah, on on like gym equipment. Yeah. On like, you know, lots of padded. There's lots of kind.
S6: Of like Wipeout, but you had to get past somebody as.
S3: Well. That's it.
S4: That's true. The the obstacles were human.
S3: Clinton, will you watch the Return of Gladiators?
S12: Oh, of course, just to see if they bring back Condor or Blaze or.
S4: See? He knows.
S3: Oh, yeah.
S4: We wish you'd said Condor.
S3: Yeah, that would have been a tough one for us. Thank you very much. Uh, Joe. Ahoy to you.
S13: Hoy, lads.
S3: Um, Joe, tell us something we haven't thought of for a while.
S13: Uh, former Lord mayor and all round good guy John. So. Oh.
S4: From Melbourne. That. That's got to count, though, because I haven't thought of John, so. Oh, and we do know him. I mean, there'd be a lot of people listening that don't didn't know the Lord Mayor of Melbourne, but as Melbourne boys.
S3: Yeah, we didn't know him personally.
S4: We didn't know him personally, but he had a knack of getting himself in the papers quite a lot for the Lord mayor. Absolutely, John. So is my bro I think was the campaign bottle.
S3: Uh, Joe, you've got yourself a cat.
S4: I think he's got it. Nosferatu.
S3: Well done. Nosferatu. Uh, or the decked cap. Which one would you prefer?
S13: Um. I'll go the decked cap? Yeah.
S4: That's a pretty smart choice.
S3: I mean, they're both great. They're both great caps, so you couldn't have gone wrong. Mate, thanks so much for playing. Appreciate it.
S13: Cheers, guys. Cheers.
S3: Cheers.
S4: Good work.
S3: John. So. Yeah.
S4: Jack, you're a bored gamer, aren't you? You're a B gamer and, ah, you're a bit of a B gamer.
S3: Yeah, like a board game. Which one's your favorite at the moment.
S6: Uh, we love Everdell.
S3: Everdell I've never heard of that.
S4: Jackson board gamer like that goes to board game shops. He's not a Milton Bradley.
S3: No, no, no, Jack's.
S4: Not playing connect four and and monopoly. He's like, this.
S6: Is a crowd that actually turns their nose up quite heavily at monopoly.
S4: Yeah, yeah. And Jack's playing Settlers of Catan and stuff like that. Yeah.
S6: Even that is a bit rudimentary. Oh two.
S4: Commercial.
S6: What is? No, no, we are like, I like guitar, but I haven't played in years. Now what? Everdale everdale. Um, you're it's a world building and resource building so similar to Catan, but you're, um, woodland creatures. Okay? And you might, you know, build the post office in your city, build the courthouse in your city, that sort of thing. Really?
S3: Yeah. What are you and what's guitar?
S4: Are you like a mr. Tumnus Woodland creature. Jack.
S6: Like you collect, actually, all your as many woodland creatures as you can to your city. So you might have the shop. So you're trying.
S4: To build the best city. Yes.
S3: So this is like when they just rebrand another game, but it's woodland creatures instead of humans. No names like.
S4: Mr. Andy.
S3: I. Did you play this with Bianca?
S6: Yes. Yeah. Less now that we've had a had a son, but it's still our favorite when we get some time to ourselves.
S3: How many hours back before the kid? How many hours a week were you? Were you collecting woodland creatures?
S6: Pretty much. To like, if there's anything that we couldn't decide what someone would do, like the dishes or the laundry. Well, all right, let's play Everdell to see who does the.
S4: Ten hour game.
S3: Should settle it. Hang on. How long does it game take?
S6: 45 minutes to an hour.
S3: Yeah, like a laundry would sit there and then. Yes.
S6: Yeah. You would try.
S3: So hard and you'd. You'd be trying so hard to get out of those chores.
S4: For Jack, that's a fine time trade off. Yeah, I would say I'm the most board game. I'm the most pro board game.
S3: To interrupt one more time. Remember when Jack's like, oh, you know, I don't have a lot of time on my hands for the pod to come to the meeting? No, but.
S4: The thing is, we know he's got a lot of time for board games because people on chess.com keep writing him out, that he's spending, like, 24 hours a week.
S3: On chess.
S4: He's just moved his habit to the dark web. Yeah, he's still playing a board game. Okay. We all need a board game.
S6: We all need leisure time in our life.
S4: We absolutely do. No one's no one is more of a proponent for that than us. So no arguments here. I look, I'm I'm pro board game. I'm into board games, but not probably not to the jack level, but I'm always but then I've got like I've had a few experiences where you start to play like Avalon. For people that know it is basically the TV show traders is based off like that's like kind of like Mafia or Avalon, isn't it? Jack and secret.
S3: I played I would.
S6: Love to play.
S3: Secret.
S4: The same sort of thing. Avalon. Same sort of thing. There's like, good guys and bad guys. You got to figure it out. Yeah, but you know, for some reason it's King Arthur themed, but it has no reason to be right. You could just be a good guy or a bad guy. Yeah. So I'm trying to. I'm trying to get the the family, um, excited about board games, but I've got to bring it in at like a 6 to 9 year old level. And also Zo has a very low tolerance for learning new things. Right. Like I, I'm I'm trying I can't bring in an advance one like woodland 2000 or whatever creature.
S6: Yeah. No, it is steep learning curves. But then you get rewarded once you know the game play.
S4: That's that's not interested in the delayed rewards. She's like, teach me now or I'm not interested. Yeah. How's this though. So the other day I. So magic Mike good friend of the show. The show's favorite magician. He is also a fan of board games. And I was we were talking about board games and he was like, oh, there's a good one called Herd Mentality. Very easy for the kids. All you got to do is basically everyone gets like a pad and you have to write down. So it might be like, name a famous robot, and then you have to write down what you think. The most common answer would be. Okay, so it's kind of like you're sort of I mean, it's Family Feud basically. You're basically trying to get this, I think, wasn't that pointless. So you're trying to write down the most common answer. And if, if you're part of the group that said the most common answer, you get a point. Okay. So I'm like, we can handle that. Like that's a good extended family board game. Now this is an ad, I suppose in some ways for her mentality. But this is where it becomes not an ad.
S3: Okay for it.
S4: Jack, what is the most anando. What is the most important and coveted thing in any board game?
S3: The rules.
S4: The pad.
S3: Ah, yes.
S4: The pad that it comes with, like Scattergories is a big one where it's like, don't waste the pad. Oh of course. Yeah.
S6: Don't waste the amount of sheets.
S4: Do not waste the pad. Because, you know, if you waste a pad, if you run out of the Scattergories pad, you're never playing Scattergories again. No one's reordering the pad like you know how they go in the back. Hey, you run out of the pad, go to the website, log on. You're like, no one's doing that. You are only playing the game for as long as the pad lasts. Okay? Like the the scraps that you end up playing on. Like, you know, everyone's like double side the pad, double side, the pad. Don't use a fresh page.
S3: My dad will rule lines and I do the same. Now down the middle to split You don't.
S4: Need all that.
S3: Space. Don't waste the frigging pad.
S4: And the arrogance. Like when you're playing with someone. It's not from the household where they just tear off a new page of the pad like whoa whoa whoa whoa. It's like someone tearing off your grandma's plastic covering on the sofa. Just go. I'll just sit on the cushions like you don't do that. I opened up her mentality after hyping the game up. No pad.
S6: Huh? What do you.
S4: Mean?
S6: Like provide your own?
S4: No, no, they're just. The box had been packed without one. That just made a mistake at the factory because I'd played it with Mike. And there's a there's an official pad. Yeah. Oh, and there was no pad. And I just was like, oh, my God, this. You can't do this. You can't like, I can't, you can't. I can't explain the letdown to the people. And then I'm rushing around trying to get post-it notes and everyone's. I was like, why isn't there a pad? There is a I'm sorry, there is a pad. It just doesn't appear somehow to have been included in this sealed box. This was a sealed copy of the game. Oh, no, I can't vouch. This game is really good fun. Let's get into it. So it's like post-it notes. Well, what do we mean to do with, like, I was like, oh, no, I know this was meant to be so easy. I had an idea off the back of this. Right? Would we do would we ever release the Hamish and Andy board game?
S6: Oh my God.
S4: Okay, idea. Now it can go one of two ways. We either hand it over to Jack for him to start, like crafting how it works.
S3: No. God, no. But, I mean, here's.
S4: The other thing. Whatever it is, whatever it is, and it might it could even just be this, right?
S3: We go though, with the hand it over to Jack Thing is, suddenly you're collecting and doing all these weird things. It's just could be too late.
S4: Yeah, well, that's what I mean. He pitches it back to us. We can, like, dumb it down a bit for the average player, you know, because it could be stuff like, you know, an SP competition or whatever, like as the chance, like the community chest or. Right. What if we release Hamish and Andy the board game and you open it up and it's just a selection of multi-use pads for other games. So there is almost no game, but it's an excuse to get a box of backup pads in your house. Yes, that would fit most games that require a writing down an answer. So by buying someone the Hamish or just.
S6: Yeah, because he said you said it's almost not a game, but it's not a game.
S3: It's not a game.
S4: Certainly not Or we include a very, very small token game.
S3: Coin flipping game.
S4: But most. Yeah. Yeah, it's there's like a two small cups and a ball and it's like see if you can see if you can move the ball from cup to cup. Congratulations. You've finished the game. Now please enjoy the pads.
S3: My worry is that we're saying no one will replace the pad, which you can just do off the back of a board game.
S4: But you wouldn't do that. You wouldn't do that for one pair. But you might buy. Can you imagine someone's delight if you got given for Christmas? You open up a box, you're like, oh my God, it's back up pads. Yeah, but.
S6: He's got to match your games.
S4: But we make them like generic enough pads. So there's big ones. Small ones rule.
S6: But every game has its own like scoring column.
S4: We pick the eight most popular formats and we do we do a selection of pads. So you get in a box full of backup pads.
S3: I feel like it's a stationary replenishment is what is what we're offering. We are it's not disguised.
S4: As a board.
S3: Game. Exciting. Stationary. Repeat replenishment. All right. What about this board game?
S4: Fine, fine, fine. I did, like, go back to the original idea, and we make Hamish and Ed the board game, but where if there's pads involved, it's huge. I'm not doing this unless you get more pads in our game than any other board game on the market.
S3: I know there'll be a pad surplus, like a.
S4: Wafer thin board and the whole thing's pads. It's like thousands of pads. That's our competitive advantage. Whatever the gameplay is, Jack, you're in charge of coming up with some ideas to make it good. I would love.
S3: That. Yeah, but.
S4: What I bring to the table is we promise you will never have the feeling of running out of the paper. Done. That's our. That's our edge.
S3: I aim to close out today. We talked about last week, and we've probably been avoiding talking about it again because we're at a loss, aren't we? Oh yeah.
S4: A loss. And no one expected this this spanner in the works to be thrown. No one expected this fake chicken to be thrown amongst the crocodiles. Confusing. If you're a crocodile and a fake chicken gets thrown in. What is this? Isn't that what we're used to for the croc tours? For the croc Wars? They're happening in the North that were happening in Darwin. We've been following all year. Original croc jumping tours, spectacular croc jumping tours. As you probably heard on last week's show, to the vast majority of people that are listening in order out of nowhere and unrelated to us, um, for their own reasons. the original Croc jumping tours has decided to close down after 38 years of operation. They're shutting on October the 31st. Why is this relevant to us? Well, as you also might have heard, we booked flights to Darwin and we'd taken the whole team up. And again, this isn't top priority, but it is a factor. We've booked a sunset jetski cruise. We're interested in booking one and just a bunch of other fun stuff in Darwin we're excited to do. Anyway, it's not the priority just mentioning it just because it's a fun thing to think about. Anyway, we were off on a peace mission to bring these two warring companies together. Um, enough of the silliness. That was the main focus. Enough of the silliness. Come on guys, um, it's been decades of hijinks, but now let's all, you know, wouldn't this be fun? And the peace process was looking good. They're going to sit down and put the feuding aside, look at working together in the future, and hopefully exchange one compliment per side that now. Well, you know, life doesn't work out the way you plan. No one was expecting Tony to shut down original croc jumping tours entirely because of a dispute he's having with the government and some some demands they haven't met. So it looks like that's happening.
S3: Looks after the situation and we've had to think about it. And we're still going to go up. Yay! Jack walks the tour.
S4: Jack wants the jet skis.
S3: And what we'll do up there we don't know will we will we will we be out of crowbar some kind of peace talks in and claim a triumph? Probably.
S4: It's not a crowbar, though. And let me ask you this, okay? If we go, like, just just answer yes or no to this. Sure. Hamish and Andy and Jack went to Darwin, where for decades there has been a rivalry between two small businesses. There was high jinks. There was some tricks played on each other. Yes. And just a general air of rivalry. Yes. So much so that one wouldn't go one side of the bridge. One wouldn't go the other side of the bridge. Yes. When Hamish, Andy and Jack came home, that was all over.
S3: Yeah, there.
S6: Was never a shenanigan or trick played ever again.
S4: There was peace.
S3: That's great. That's that'll be the headline.
S4: And that that begins the spin. Because I also think the timing of this couldn't be worse. When are we scheduled to go? Like the weekend of the fourth or something. Yeah. Yeah, yeah the fourth. So we're scheduled to go that weekend to Darwin. Tony's come out and gone. I'm closing the business 31st. Again, nothing to do with us, but boy, oh, boy, the timing is. Couldn't be worse.
S3: Inconvenient.
S4: Tony, if we had been there a week earlier, like we can't go because we've got stuff on with families and stuff. If we'd have gone a week earlier, yes, we could have got the peace.
S3: Deal done and then he could close.
S4: Absolute buzzer beater. Yes. Just to be like, do you agree to peace between the businesses? He'd be like, yeah mate, I'm closing on Sundays, I don't care. I'd be like, yeah, but for the next. do you agree? Within the next four days or whatever. Yeah. Peace. Yeah. Sure. Have. Yeah. Four days of peace. No worries.
S3: Let's still try and meet Tony. Okay, so.
S4: Here's what I'm proposing. Who? Like, what's four in the grand scheme of 38 years? What's four days? Yeah. I mean, I still think we get a plaque made up. Fact.
S3: It's not a bad idea.
S6: Yeah, that's a good idea. And then you know what? You know what it's sort of like.
S3: Checks in with I like this.
S6: It's like when a great player retires after a grand final, so we can say that we brokered peace. We won. And then Tony retired that same day. Yes.
S4: So you reckon we backdated the 31st? Yes.
S6: We just get it written on the plaque like it's all in. It's you know, it's in bronze.
S4: Put a few years water under the bridge. No one's gonna totally up. And once it's plaqued.
S3: Why don't we timestamp our chats with him as well? Just like. Okay. Nice to meet you. Tony here on the third time is so we.
S4: So we fly up, we meet even though we're meeting on the 4th of November. Yes. We, um, essentially reenact because just due to scheduling, we couldn't be there a week early, but we basically go, look, had we been here a week earlier, we'd have been have this conversation. Same conversation. Yes. Do you agree? If it was a week earlier, you would have peace?
S5: Yeah.
S4: Hopefully. He's like, yeah, absolutely. This was one week ago. Our attitudes would be the same. And you both have two open businesses that could make peace. Yep. Complement.
S3: Complement. Photograph photograph a crocodile wearing my tooth necklace. Sunset jet ski. Yeah.
S4: Flying. Great. Flying to Darwin to re-enact the backdated peace accord whilst the two businesses were still open. Now do we put it on the. Do we put it? How do we put it on the plaque? Do we go on this day the 31st of October or do we. Why don't we backdate it exactly a week from. Let's look when we're there. So we go on this day, 29th of October 2023. Mm. Peace.
S3: What about. How about this? How about.
S4: Achievable?
S3: How about. Well, that's.
S4: True. Why don't we do a not lying? Well, we don't go. Peace was achieved. We just go peace. You know, the concept of peace was.
S5: That sucks. Okay, I've got.
S3: I think I've.
S4: Got it. It's a brainstorm. I'm trying to just avoid getting tangled up in a giant lies.
S3: Why don't we get a text message to Tony and a text message to Wes saying, yep, for peace? Yep. On the 31st. If they both write back, yes, we can say on the 31st it was agreed that peace, peace.
S4: In fact, we just go on this and we make the plot. Why don't we do that a week before we go? We make the plaque that day. Yes. So we're obviously making the plaque in Melbourne. Yes. But you don't say that on the plaque.
S5: No.
S4: You just go. On this day, the 28th of October. Yes. It was agreed by the two parties that peace would reign between the two businesses for however long the businesses may go.
S5: Mhm.
S4: Yeah, right. Then we take the plaque that's made and you plunk it in the, you plunk it in the spot up there. Yeah. And everything's true. You just weren't actually there on the day. You don't need to write on the plaque. You know due to scheduling conflicts, we couldn't actually be there on time.
S5: No.
S4: No one needs that detail on a plaque.
S3: Yeah, great.
S4: Just do the headline. Yeah. So we actually forged the plaque on the weekend before. Yes. And we. Yeah. Have them on the line and then just go and re-enact the day.
S3: What we would have said at the time, what.
S4: We would have said at the time. And I think that's very, very on a very honest, I was gonna say I think that's very honest. But I think, I think that's not as not as dishonest as is possible. Yeah. That's still a peace deal.
S3: Absolutely.
S4: That's and that's not a Peter out which is the most important thing for us.
S2: Thanks for listening. The Hamish and Andy podcast will return next week. Catch up or contribute at Hamish and Andy. Com.