Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of the Frame Second Podcast. I'm helped with the evening of My name is Mike with me. I have Spike, What Up? Got Rod?
Speaker 3: What Up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Got ken Ola? And we got Nick. Anytime we do some virtual shit, we try to drag Nick ass into these shits. So what's going on? Nick? I'm good, I'm good, glad to be here as always. Man. All right, so today we are talking about, Oh, this is actually a anniversary film, right, I forget how many years it was though, does anybody remember fifty years? Fifty years? We're covering Martin Taxi Driver. So I'm gonna go around the room, give a light and I mean light short, short opinion of if you like it or not, but also throwing there if this is your first time watching it. So I'm gonna let guests go first, even though he's not really a guest, but he's sort of Nick. You go ahead and go first. I'm gonna be honest, first time watching it interesting, even though I knew most about the movie. It's a note for me, dog. Oh it's a no for I'll go into it. But okay, all right, Rogers went away. So while while he's fixing his video. I'm gonna go ahead and go to Spike. Spike, was this your first time seeing it? And did you like it? First time watching it? And I did? I was not mad at this hit all. I understand the hype around it after watching it.
Speaker 4: I didn't believe it going into it, but after I watched it, I get while it was so popular when it.
Speaker 2: Was all right? And ken first time watching it? And did you like it?
Speaker 5: No, it's not my first time watching it. I've watched it before, and I do enjoy the movie.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I do like it, okay, and Rod is back Rod, first time watching it? And did you like it? Nah? This is?
Speaker 6: This isn't my first time watching it. Yeah, this movie is. This movie is great?
Speaker 2: All right, So this is definitely not my first time watching it. I've seen this movie many, many, many times. It's one of my favorite Scorsese films. I think Robert de Niro absolutely destroyed this role as one of the best acting performances of all time. And we're gonna go ahead, and we're gonna break down the movie. I tried to condense these notes, but you know we're not gonna let Rod keep us here all night, So let's go ahead and get started, all right. So we are in New York and we meet Travis Bickle played by Robert de Nier. He's a Vietnam vet who's applying for a job as a nighttime taxi driver. He lives alone, he keeps a diary about how disgusting he thinks the city is, and he visits porn theaters to occupy his mind. What are y'all's first thoughts about Travis. I want to start with you, Nick, since you didn't like this film. I like the way this film was shot and it has New York as a character, because I think that's me to me, one of the highlights of the film. But Travis as a character was boring to me. But I also know I'm looking at under the guys of twenty twenty six and not in nineteen seventy six, so I get to see like I see like the architect of this character in other films that I've watched. But as far as me watching this movie like as a newcomer, yeah, it took me literally to like the third act to really even get into the film.
Speaker 4: Spike, what about you to one of the next points I've seen this architect in other films. I just finished binging you, and this dude was like a nineteen seventy nine Joe Obert like they of course this was you as more today time, but it was the same premier, same like base was there. So that kind of shaped my mind for what I was about to get into, because I was like, Okay, this is interesting. I'm wondering how they're going to do this is in the seventies versus me watching the twenty twenty six version kind of this or twenty five or whenever that came out.
Speaker 1: So I was intrigued immediately.
Speaker 2: By the way, for anybody that has video, I just noticed spikes hat and I hate it. Nice but no, I didn't think it's a nice but I knew exactly what it meant what it said the second I saw it. I can't believe you're.
Speaker 1: Let's move on. I played golf, man, I.
Speaker 2: Know you did, But damn, Ken, what do you think of Travis Bickell?
Speaker 5: You know, I think they did a good job early on kind of giving you just enough background information on his past, you know, with the Vietnam War thing, its ability to not sleep and how just over time, you know, lack of sleep can really mess with you, and you combind that with you know, his his previous war experience. I don't know if he experienced combat or anything, but you know, things can go left pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: So he just seemed like he didn't fit in.
Speaker 5: And you can see that with his with his first interaction, you know, with the guy that was during the hiring, so it was clear that he was he was a loner and just trying to readapt to the world.
Speaker 2: Rod, did you get something different?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just pretty much the same as Ken. I did like how they had like the new art style, but just in like the seventies or whatever of him narrating and everything and just him just you know, experiencing insomnia. So that's why he, you know, took took the cab job just to begin with. So no, I mean I like how it started off with him, like the with with that character. I think they started off strong with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I think Travis Bickle is a very interesting character. I do agree and understand Nick and Spike's point about you know, you've seen this character before, but it came after this obviously. But I think the most interesting thing about Travis is I assume he did see combat. I don't think it ever actually says, but we see those marks on his back later on, and judging by the way he's acting, I assume he's seen some kind of combat. But I like that he's just a walking contradiction because he's like, the city is disgusting, it's full of horrors and filth, but he constantly spends his nights at a porn theater like it's a regular ass movie theater, like dude has. Dude has no sense of what is quote unquote no more at this point, so I think the way they introduced him is very interesting. But Travis becomes infatuated with Betsy, who's played by Sybil Shepherd, who works for Senator Charles Pallantine, and after being a bit of a stalker, he goes into the office and asks her out on a date. What did y'all think about his first date? Anybody can take this this one.
Speaker 4: I knew he was crazy, like I thought it in the beginning, But then when he took her to the porn on the first day and thought it was that was.
Speaker 2: That wasn't the first day that second date walking in there and was talking to no, that was at the diner diner date.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, they had that weird talk. Well, i'll talk where y'all.
Speaker 1: Let y'all go.
Speaker 4: Then I ain't getting nothing from that other than the only thing I got from it is I didn't know Silver Shepherd used to be that bad for real.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 2: I had to look up all this because I like, these are a lot of famous people who had like great careers started. So of course I'm like, I'm looking at the who's who, and I'm like, hold on, that can't be the same. I've seen that motherfucker before. That's not hers. When I when I see that, I was like, okay, let me see how this goes. This confirmed that women like bad boys for generations and generations because she looked at that nigga knowing he crazy, but she was like, I just never seen that nobody like you before. You're just a walking contradiction. And he ain't know how to take that, but I knew it. But as long as she kept talking to him, he fucked with it. So that's all I took from that. He didn't know what contradiction meant.
Speaker 1: I didn't seem like.
Speaker 2: Anybody else.
Speaker 6: I didn't take him as a bad boy. Person and this I just he was just like kind of confident, like built up the confidence to come and talk to her, and just kind of just awkwardly confident. And I guess it's the best way to said. And yeah, she was intrigued by that. I get why she was intrigued. So, yeah, he didn't seem crazy to me in that moment. You know, he seemed like he was just really honest, you know how people that that kind of just talked straight, just no, just no filler, no nothing. That's just kind of how I took him to be. And I think she seemed like she respected that about.
Speaker 2: The breakdown he did of her co worker. Didn't sound crazy to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he just was. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Somebody straight shooters, straight suters that like you, I don't, I don't like it, but just him, I don't know. Yeah, so he's like, I bet he don't even know your What did he say?
Speaker 6: I bet he doesn't even know something? And she she agreed, like, yeah, he doesn't know that.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, you can just tell you the coworker, huh, he's a coworker who cares if he knows anything about her? And we see him protect her early on when she was when she noticed he was stalking her.
Speaker 5: He clearly likes her too, you know as well, and uh, he was he was definitely jealous of little boy, and you know, there was this edge to him that she liked because Nick, you you mentioned the stalking point. She saw him just staring at them earlier, and that in that time, probably any damn time honestly is scary. You know, you got somebody just after winning just looking at you. Then the guy walk out and he just peel off like that, like that's that's not that's not right. So then he comes up to you and then he.
Speaker 4: And I took it that was his first time. I just wanted to come in. What he said that that did it seem like his first time?
Speaker 2: You talked about you interrupted or I didn't.
Speaker 5: Uh, I didn't think about it till now about whether that was his first time or not. I always took it as as it was. But but if it wasn't, then that that adds more credics to, you know, that sort of bad boy edge. But him just coming in being as direct as he is, that does give that sort of like bad boy, you know, sort of thing because the other guy was clearly a good guy, but she didn't want him.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, the main thing that I took from that conversation was what I just said a minute ago about the walking contradiction. She said how he seems like a prophet and a pusher and he seemed She said that he seems like he's part truth, part fiction. I do think that she saw a bad edge with this dude. There's there's no way she saw this motherfucker staring at her through a taxi window and was like, oh, yeah, he's normal. I think what it was is she had not experienced someone like him. She was used to these button up ties, you know, basically lames, and here comes this guy that's a little bit on the edge, and she's like, oh, I want to see what this is about. But yeah, So what did y'all think of the conversation that he had in in the taxi cab with Senator Palatine, which was immediately followed up by his interaction with a very young prostitute played by a very young Jodie Foster. So what did y'all think of this part? All? Right? That was I thought the taxi driver with the politician being close to New York. I understand what he meant by the filth. They still that's been a problem for I guess since for fifty years, because it is New York City is a city built on top of a trash can, essentially. But I was more curious. I was more curious to understand the politicians. But Mike and whoever else, you all are more fans of the film, like his understanding of what Travis was trying to say, or did he even get it? He got it, he got it. But I'll go laugh. I'll let y'all whoever wants to take that up.
Speaker 6: No, I was just saying that I thought that Jodie Foster thing was crazy. I think she was actually twelve in this film. I think she's playing a prostitute. She's between twelve and fourteen. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I thought that was crazy, and you could you can just kind of tell so that. That's always been kind of weird to me seeing her in that in that role.
Speaker 3: Playing that as as an actual young girl. Sports the politician stuff.
Speaker 2: The politician stuff is always.
Speaker 3: Kind of.
Speaker 6: Confused me because on one hand, it seems like palatine.
Speaker 2: Is it palatine? Yeah, Valentine, Palatine or whatever.
Speaker 6: Seems like he had the same mission as Travis, but for whatever reason, at some point he didn't see it that way, he.
Speaker 2: Being Travis or he being the Senator didn't.
Speaker 3: Travis didn't see it that way.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we'll we'll definitely get to that. But right, right, right, kenn Er Spike, did you take anything that you can throw at Nick to make him understand what the senator was doing?
Speaker 5: Well, I think he was bullshit, and I think, you know, he was confronted with a potential voter, and Travis was sitting there kind of you know, uh, speaking glowingly to him.
Speaker 1: I was I do have a question.
Speaker 5: Who said that they didn't want to take the cab. I kept trying to identify the voices.
Speaker 2: That's the assistant Palentine. Palatine wanted to take the cab. Because Palatine is a very typical democrat pretending to be one of the people. I'm taking cabs around and if you notice the second guy of the cab who was there photo op that's all it was about. He wanted to be able to get out of the cab and have people taking pictures like he's one of the you know, political just like us kind of thing. So I'm with Ken. I definitely think Time was bullshitting. He was listening. He didn't disagree with Travis. But I think what we're supposed to take from that is this is more of Travis being delusional about thinking he knows what's best for the city he's at there's filth and there's scum. But then when he's confronted with the filth and the scum, with the pimp trying to drag this fucking preteen prostitute out of the truck or out of his cap, he does nothing, nothing at all. So I've always found that to be interesting. But I'm gonna start with you, Spike. Uh oh, you got a face.
Speaker 4: No, I don't come up to later, but I do want to remember that you said that later.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna start with you because you already kind of alluded to this the second date. This retakes it to a point theater, What did you think of this?
Speaker 4: It was weird, and I think they did a good job of framing it in the sense of where his mental space was and what reality was. As you mentioned in in the beginning, Mike, because he thought this was normal, Like he couldn't believe that she wanted to get up and walk out of this. He thought this was just like a regular everyday experience, So the fact that he was surprised by her reaction.
Speaker 1: May be more interesting in where this was going.
Speaker 2: What about you, Nick?
Speaker 8: I thought that these scenes was hilarious when he was in the theater, especially when he first when we see him going the first time, where he buying popcorn and candy, but he's trying to holler at the stewardess.
Speaker 2: She was like, do I need to get my manager? He was like, nah, you ain't got to do all that.
Speaker 1: Ye give me.
Speaker 2: She was like, we got what we got. I thought that was funny, but also, uh, the date itself, I'm surprised she even allowed she even allowed herself to go inside, knowing what she already knew about the place, and to the point where I was confident that he knew what he was talking about, because he made it seem like, oh, no, it's just some sex in there, but it's actually a film. So I'm watching this ship and I see the like these motherfuckers is just fucking So I was like, oh, he's crazy, he's insane. That she just figured out so she had to. I was like, girl, I wouldn't even sat down. She sat down and everything. I'm like, Nigga, this that's probably the most comfield theater and and and and Travis, like you mentioned talking about all that film that Nigga was lounging around like it was his living room in that damn theater. So I was like that that those scenes were like hilarious. The fact that he was just so out of it to even understand that that's not a good first date or official first date.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, yeah, that's that's super wild.
Speaker 2: I really.
Speaker 6: Come with you on, Like I don't even know to understand like why she sheknew. I mean, once you get in front of the theater, you know where you're going. At this point, I don't understand, like why she even sat down in this moment, you know what this is. But she did get up very quickly once she would on the first clashes hit or whatever. But I did like how she didn't back down out of it. I thought she was just gonna kind of give him another chance. But now she was out of there, she was she was just like, nah, your ass is off, So I ain't right she wasn't trying to.
Speaker 4: I thought the only reason she gave him a chance because she was intrigued by him, like y'all were saying, And then he explained to her like Nick said, well wait, it ain't just that. But then when she's seen it, she was like, oh, hell nah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: How I've I was taken too. That she she gave him a shot because she was trying to see if, Okay, maybe he's telling the truth, maybe this is a regular movie. But when she saw I mean, and I do y'all gonna think I'm crazy. I do think it was a quote regular movie with a bunch of sex, because that's that's how a lot of those weirdo foreign films are. It's not just fucking like there is some weird ass artsy story there. But she was just like, this feels awkward. Then I'm on a second date with this dude and he took me to a movie where it's a bunch of sex. That's why when she gets outside, she's like, like, this is about as subtle as you just saying let's fuck. Because to your point, Mike, I saw the subtitles, I heard the narration in the background, I'm like, is this so weak? Or is this like like I couldn't I didn't know what to call it. All I know is that some white woman was in a goddamn gang bang and it was nothing but niggas in the theater. You said nothing again, went to a theater like this? Was it? Like? Was it weird?
Speaker 1: Like you? I can't remember, it's been a minute. They still have those around.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I don't think they do. Man, I've only been to one of those once. You have to experience it, man, you have to is it in the south. Was it in the south, or like you and Cali or we were on tour. We were on tour and.
Speaker 1: They definitely still got though. They got some here.
Speaker 2: See there he goes. He looks like I didn't know that, rubbing his faith too, Like I, I can recommend you a couple of.
Speaker 1: I take you when we get done.
Speaker 2: What them called nice put exactly.
Speaker 1: He got this.
Speaker 2: He always got a hold in one and.
Speaker 1: Three holes in one.
Speaker 2: Oh Jesus, Oh, that's one of the films.
Speaker 1: She was hot though. Man. She didn't even want the records. She don't want ship. She was like, all right, now I got two copies.
Speaker 2: She was like, can you please take my good She's like already got it at home.
Speaker 3: She was not trying to hear bro I.
Speaker 2: Don't blame her. I don't blame her, you know. I think this is like one of y'all said, this is a beautiful woman wanting a little bit of a bad boy, but she has standards at the end of the day, and Travis completely bypass those standards by taking her to a place like that.
Speaker 9: If you would love to have more content from frames per second, become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion in film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second, where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon dot com Forward slash frames per second.
Speaker 2: You also have to remember she works for the senator who is I think he's trying to run for president. Say that's what he says, Like, yeah, because he was Yeah, so, I mean that's not a place that she can be seen at. So there's so many there's so many layers to why she was mad. But she completely stops talking to Travis. She's like, fuck this dude, even though he's calling her over and over again. So it's one of my favorite scenes of the whole movie. So he storms into the office where he's confronted by her coworker. So I'm gonna start with you, Ken, what did you think of what happens when he.
Speaker 1: Goes in there.
Speaker 5: It was very bold and bratch of him, and I thought she was going to be like terrified of him walking in there cursing everybody out like that, et cetera, et cetera. And it was definitely the beginning of his mental decline because every single approach, everything he's tried wasn't being returned. And you know, he realized the eraror of his ways, and he apologized over and over again, but she wasn't trying to hear it. But he was in the cussing everybody out, and and old Boy tried to come over and talk ship like bro.
Speaker 2: Ready for this, hey A, I was saying what to do when I nigga hit that come to action. Every time I see that ship cracks me up. He's, hey, that ship was funny, bro, and he I don't know, this is like one of the first like quotes that I was here. But it's always like, you know how the white man to be like, goddamn man. He kept saying that too, bro, oh man. The funniest part I hate to laugh at this, but the funniest part, and I don't even know if y'all caught it, but when he when he finally walks out the door, there's a woman that's on the door and.
Speaker 7: She just.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if that was like a mistake, like if that really accidentally happened.
Speaker 1: But that was me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see that every time too. Like that.
Speaker 6: That absolutely. I don't think that was in the script. It couldn't have been. It was just too real, exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: She was too real.
Speaker 2: I know I should have laughed in this either, but kidd when he was cussing her out afterwards, he was like, who the fuck don't call back after somebody? You go to hell and everybody crazy.
Speaker 4: If she didn't think he was crazy before, then she know you crazy?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. Yeah, But the the the narration before that is really interesting because he's talking and he says that he thinks he has stomach cancer, which is completely random. So it's just showing this like increased paranoia that Travis gets. And when he goes in there and he tells her, he's like, you're just like the rest of him. You know, you're in a hell and you're gonna die, just like everybody else. It's like, God, damn. It goes from that, and I'm sure the movie wasn't trying to make this funny. God damn, fuck.
Speaker 10: What the hell you got to walk up behind your chair, Lovie having Lovie having stomach issues?
Speaker 2: God, let's move on ship, all right? So this part I remember the very few times. For the very first few times I watched this movie. This scene didn't really hit until I got much older and saw why it was important. But he gives a ride to a guy who's spying on his cheating wife. Does anybody know who that guy was? Played by Scorsese? There you go, so he's played by Scorsese himself. So Nick sins, you're already talking, what did you think about this scene? I was like Damn. Scorsese was young as hell in this movie, and I knew as soon as he said it's some he gotta be upset to the black man especial I do that. And but like you said, Mike, I didn't really know how to take that scene. I don't know if this was more of like Travis getting justification for how he feels and what he will eventually do and later on in the movie, or this is just more of an example of what Travis keeps talking about as far as the filth uh in this city. But either way, I thought that scene was just very much like I don't know, I guess to me, it was like answering some question that I don't know if I knew exactly what it was yet.
Speaker 1: Anybody else, No, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't really have an idea about it outside of him just being upset that his girls with some nigger. Yeah, but yeah that Yeah, I haven't really thought about it on that much.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: It just seemed like it definitely felt like it was oddly placed. But yeah, I don't know, I think that was I'll go ahead.
Speaker 4: I seen something afterwards that made him make more sense as I watched the recap of the movie than they were talking about.
Speaker 1: How said cheating I asked something. I didn't think anything.
Speaker 4: I didn't think anything about it when I seen it, which is why I want to go look and see what it meant.
Speaker 1: That's like, why is this random man? Shit didn't here? But I won't spoil it since you don't want to know.
Speaker 2: Well, I haven't seen this YouTube. We'll go to you last, because I want to see if they say something similar to what I say or what about what Rod is about to say.
Speaker 6: Y'all are still broken up on my end, so I'm sorry. It's like, like really it's hard. It's hard to hear y'all. But but yeah, so yeah, I just think it was it was just like a trigger for him to kind of like set him off. He was already spiraling and already thinking about like like harming people, and I think when he saw that it was something that may make him feel like, you know, maybe he could do something, uh for the greater good or something like that, because he felt like he was justified and what he gonna do. So that's what I always felt like that scene played a part on his mental breakdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the way I the way I've always seen this, and not always, but since I've been a little bit older is when I was. When I was younger watching the film, I never really got the impression that that Travis was racist. But Travis is fucking racist. And the way you realize this is the way he sees people. So we're seeing the movie through Travis's eyes. And if you watch the way the movie is is pointing out black people. They're always doing something fucking weird. Even the guy that he works with that he's cool with, he's like pointing the gun bow what you can assume he's not really doing that because that's just fucking weird. Who sits around like doing the gun fingers over and over again. It's bizarre. There's a scene where he's walking down the street camera if it was before or after this part, but he sees this black after after the guy's walking down the street and he's just bugging out, and the way the camera is like shaking when he's walking, it's giving you this impression that this is how Travis sees black people. And we can definitely get to it, and y'all know what see I'm talking about later on when he gets to the convenience store. But what I got from this scene is pretty much what Rod just alluded to, which is this is the turning point for Travis where he sees he's not crazy because this guy in the back seat is like, my wife's up there cheating with his nigger. I got this gun. I'm gonna fucking kill her. I'm gonna kill her. I'm gonna put the gun to her face. I'm aa blow her face off. I'm gonna put it in her pussy. I'm a blow her pussy up. And he says to Travis, do you think I'm sick? And then the camera shows Travis's face and Travis is like, not really, bro, Nah, I don't really think you're sick. This is Travis getting that confirmation that I'm I'm not the only one that thinks this way. He already got it from Senator Palatine, because Palatine was like, yeah, I kind of feel you. Thank you for your opinion. Now we as the audience see that Palatine is fucking bullshitting him. But to Travis, Palatine is the real deal, which is why he becomes so obsessed with him putting his fucking uh his political posters in his house. But what we also get is this is the moment that Travis realizes that, you know what, I need to be a vigilanti because I need to save this city. So that's what I've always found interesting about this scene. So as you're saying that, Mike, I was gonna ask, like, why the fuck is the representation in this film as far as the black actors or the black characters, like so stupid? Like it was it was like I was, like Martins says, he like it was he intentional with that, because it came off very offensive and for no reason because like a lot of interactions aren't with black people, right, They're all around the city because it's New York City, so there is representation of New York City and the diversity of it, but like they're the way they're portrayed and how they're acting, which is weird. So I'm glad you touched on that. And I didn't think he but I didn't think he was racist because until you mentioned it, because when he talked about like early in the movie when he's getting the cab and stuff and he said the boss whatever says where do you want to go? Like, what's what areas do you want to deal with? He was like, I'll go anywhere, it don't matter. And then even in his narration he talks about I go to Harlem, I go this. I'm like, oh, okay. So he was like, I even pick up what do you call him?
Speaker 3: Movie?
Speaker 2: I think spooks. Yeah, So I was like, okay, So, yeah, he's using horrible terminology, but it is the seventies. But at the same time, he's willing to pick up anybody, That's what I'm saying. So I was like, what is this dude. I'm like, I can't really figure out his character this yet. So you got to think about if the reason Travis takes his job is because his mind won't stop wandering at night for him to sleep, So he wants to be able to go and be out driving and working in all hours of the night. You're not gonna go to like the nicer parts of New York and get someone to pick up at two o'clock in the morning. You are gonna get that in the more dangerous parts of town. So I think that, and also Travis, whether or not he wants to admit it, he's attracted to the filthy parts of the city. Because he is this walking contradiction. If you look at his house, he lives in a fucking pig style. His house is disgusting. But remember in that first day, he brings up that whole thing about the sign that says I want to organized, and he thinks it's like a joke or whatever, and he even has that sign in his house. But his house is a fucking mess. Travis is, he's completely mixed up in the brain. And the reason I don't think that the movie necessarily showed black people in a bad light is because you do get diversity. You get the guy that he works with, who's an honest guy. He's an honest guy that's just working to make a living, but Travis sees him weird. It doesn't seem like he's acting weird towards anybody else, but Travis sees it. And he even borrows money from the guy. So it's like this weird version of racism that Travis has where he's like, you know, I'm surrounded by these type of people, but there's like maybe one or two good ones. But then he goes to the bad parts of town and you see pimps, pushers, drug addicts, drug dealers, So Travis is looking at these people like these are scum. That makes sense because there was that scene with the woman and the little kid on the street, she was chasing him or something like that. I was like, what the fuck is going on with this shit?
Speaker 5: But okay, yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, I think it's definitely a reflection of the neighborhoods and certain neighborhoods of New York. So I think it was being honest in that. And you know, it wasn't a lot of black people, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Know if it.
Speaker 5: I didn't feel the offensive part of it the way you did, Nick, and because there weren't a lot in there, and I think because they were in certain areas.
Speaker 1: I just kind of took it for what it was.
Speaker 5: And then you and You've also see like white people doing the similar things as well. The thing about the him point of the gun, Mike, I just always took that as like foreshadowing when he called him a killer, And I also took that as him kind of poking fun at him or knowing that he was in the military in Vietnam. And I think that's why I always he was just kind of referring to that and just kind of poking at him, you know, poking fun out of him.
Speaker 11: For that sort of thing, and then foreshadow of what was to come and the offense I took. And I know, LOUI got you want to speak on this too. Defence I saw was like the way the black people were trade.
Speaker 2: Like even the cab colleague he had, it seemed like he was black and lazy at his job because he didn't really say shit. He was just like sitting around.
Speaker 5: He's sitting around with the other white guys that were there, but he was it just he just gave off for like a like a a.
Speaker 2: Non compromary aloofness about him and his job. The obviously, like you mentioned the pushers and the drug dealers, but like that's those are what you would see in the streets. But then when we get to the scene later on, it's like the thievery of the criminal the gangs, Like it felt like it was just like showing stuff that white people would assume that's how black people were in the seventies or like out and about in the streets. So we'll definitely tackle that. But if you also look at the fact that that guy was a thief, sure he tried to rob a convenience store with the gun. Sure, but what is the worst crime of this movie the fact that somebody is pimping out a fucking twelve thirteen year old girl. And who's that being done by white people? So this is this is I feel like what Tarantino wishes he could do is capture the racism without being racist himself. I think scor Sesse actually does it well because he's like, look, this is how white people in this time saw black people. But when you really dig into shit, the people fucking committing the worst atrocities are white people. You know, even when you look at the dude that's that's that's in the back of the car talking about his wife cheating. She's cheating with a black guy. But what's this guy talking about doing. He's talking about killing her, putting a gun in her vagina and shooting her. Yeah, that was nuts. So scor Sesse is so fucking good at this where he's like, look, these motherfuckers are racist. I'm gonna show you that that these people do exist. But the worst motherfucker in this movie the white people. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: But you got lou.
Speaker 4: Oh god, the pimp, the pimp was originally cast as a black man in a production house.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was written in the script as a black man.
Speaker 4: The production house made them change it, and he was written as a racist as well, Travis, And they made them change it because they didn't want to riot outside. So that that that helped me understand that scene in him being a racist.
Speaker 2: You know, I've never heard that. I don't know who the YouTuber is that you saw.
Speaker 4: I seen it in two places, not a ship, not seeing in two places. The pimp was Originally they got the famous dude who played the pimp. Now they got him blasted out because they thought it would be too controversial for the pimp to be black.
Speaker 1: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: But everybody else a rich white.
Speaker 4: No, they had they changed that in the script too, But you said, we'll get to that later. So everybody was black. I'm a lot the villains, all the villains, that's what you say. Everybody are you talking about, like the pimp, not the guy, not the guy that you're talking about, but the pimp, and then everybody associated with him was black in the original script.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because when you've listened to SCORSESEI talk about this film, that's not the impression that he gave at all. Huh. Interesting, Well, last point before you move on, I will say, kid, I don't know if you laughed at the cabbies and their stories about the customers.
Speaker 7: What got on the midgets like, yeah, they like to they always like to feel taller us, like to pick him up or something.
Speaker 2: Like these motherfuckers pieces of ship. They ain't me talking about anything. Well, you know, midges didn't have rights back then, so for little people, sorry, didn't have rights back then. Oh, Spike left to go watch some more of his little YouTube video. He'll try to drop dollargs on you by me if what Spike is saying is true, and that's really interesting to me, Actually it is. That's again, that's the feeling that I got. I was like, bro, like what you were saying, Lou as far as like the portrayal of black people to fail if they were if they would have went with that original script, obviously, I'm like, oh, this is like too heavy handed.
Speaker 1: But you asked him to change it.
Speaker 2: If that is true, I still don't know that it all the way changes the point of it changes my point that I said a few minutes ago. But I don't know that necessarily changes the point about SCORSESEI and the way he casted or the way he wrote Travis as being or depicted Travis as being racist. But I would actually be interested to see how this would have hit if the pimp and everyone surrounding him was black. I assumed they still had Jodi Foster, so his horse were still white. So I'm sure Travis would have seen that as the ultimate in the issue, You're a black pimp pimping out young white women. That probably would have been a bit too heavy. Yeah, so I'm glad they changed that. But so after this, Travis meets up with easy Andy and buys a gun. Then he goes back and he builds all kinds of contraptions to assist with like quick drawing the guns, and he also starts a really rigorous workout routine and diet. So what's going on with him in this in this scene, this is not the one y'all want to get to, but just the whole workout and diet thing. What's going on with him here?
Speaker 3: You just think about an arsenal.
Speaker 2: Did you say gun as a singular? Well, he goes to him to buy a gun, But now I think he was.
Speaker 12: Just like, well, shit, I'll take all these motherfuckers about the start a war.
Speaker 6: No, this was I always liked like these these scenes or whatever, just him you know, building a contraption and you just really see how I mean, at this point, tapping into like his you know, war experience and things like that, and he's about to Okay, he's about to be like a vigilante at this point. So uh, I think we get some dialogue and him narrating at this point as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and then after that, that's when he starts to.
Speaker 6: Go try to uh surveil, do surveillance on the on the security detail for the politician, right, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm always interested in like arms dealers and the people that they deal with. So I feel like this is kind of like a side story of like the customers of the motherfuckers who always armed the streets and you know, somehow these guns end up, you know, on the streets, and this is the guy who actually does it. So the way he talks about these guns and how he tries to connect with his cliss, like he was trying to connect with Travis a little bit too as well. Like I always find those things interesting, So like this was very like a standout scene for me as far as like seeing Travis like light up when he sees all these guns and all this ship, and like his imagination goes crazy as far as what he has to do next.
Speaker 5: M hm, Well, and you know he's a Vietnam vet, so he's he definitely would know how to use it all. One of the things that I found interesting was that, you know, the guy was white, you know, you know, and he's selling all these guns and to these people so always because I think he's in sales or something like that. So I was like, here this guy walking in too you know, you would look at him and be just unassuming, just another white guy walking through the city of New York, you know, getting out of the cab and he's packed with fucking weapons.
Speaker 1: Bro in a fucking bake about.
Speaker 5: To sell him to a guy who has intentions to do horrible things with.
Speaker 1: Him, and he's just gonna go bout his day.
Speaker 5: And then after that, the other part that I always thought was interesting was he was like.
Speaker 1: Ship when he bought all of them, Like, well, Ship, what you want drugs? I got everything you need? Bro got.
Speaker 5: Okay, a fall, I got, I got I got syrup and that, like said she for a while out you might as well party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you too.
Speaker 3: I was just about to mention that King.
Speaker 4: I was wondering what this was, preparing him buying all them guns with preparing us. I was wondering what the payoff for that was gonna be. That's what that sam anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think what's what's going on with him here is that he's actually preparing to be a vigilante. He's you know, he changes his diet because if y'all remember before this, he was eating fucking cereal and he was pouring like liquor on it and then a bunch of syrup, I mean syrup sugar. He was, he was. He was living like a black crackhead in the fucking because I ain't never seen white people pour fucking alcohol on corn flakes. I've seen some brothers do that, unfortunately, So no way in real life, in real life, unfortunately. Yeah, I kind of wanted to taste it, but I didn't. They had the milk, and they're all wild to me. They had the milk and they're already and then they put jim beam over it, and I was like, what on already? Corn flakes. Honestly, getting drunk while eating cereal does sound interesting because it's like, you know, I mean, because how much you don't look at me like that? Because it ain't that much different when people put jim bean in coffee.
Speaker 4: It's just a lot different. Sometimes. Who mixes alcohol with dairy? It's breadth insane everybody. That's that's a white Russian, that's a you know, kolua bro. Like what you're talking about, y'all, we're.
Speaker 6: Talking about a child's breakfast of Christ.
Speaker 2: I don't want hear nothing from you. You motherfuckers over there creaking blood and ship in church make fun of me for putting little liquor on my call flights. The thing that was agreed with Mike was the sugar, because that bot a personal sized box of sugar and sprinkling all like it was like, I don't know. That seemed reminds me of that part in the fucking house party when they were making the kool aid. Look at all that sugar, like, girl's good, That's what I was thinking. He was pouring all that sugar, but watching watching the soul train. Man Travers didn't talk with black people, but he fucked with black people.
Speaker 1: Did so.
Speaker 2: After this we get the scene where he's kind of talking to the Secret Service guard at the Senator Palatine rally. But following this, when he goes back home, we have the most famous scene of the entire film.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is where he is practicing of what he's going to do to a nigger in the mirror. Bro He's like, I wish a nigger would What you'll think of the scene, Yeah, I kind of, man, you're talking to me, talking to I don't see nobody else in here. It's just so hard.
Speaker 13: And then when he was just doing this ship that was that was the funniest thing to me, right, And.
Speaker 14: I like how he acted like he was like, okay, I let this. I'm like this stick of DUTs.
Speaker 1: Did he jump on the bed and do that ship?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was practicing how he was going to get the knife and the gun out and ship on the bed and ship like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, he was good though he made that little contraption in his arm. I don't know what ye man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like I too. Like we started like gradually cutting his hair off. I feel like that's a military thing too, where his hair was getting lower and to the point where he just did a full mohawk.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure it was crazy.
Speaker 6: White boys back in the military that had them fucking hairstyles. So I think he was reverting back to like a time when he was in that state.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, I don't know this, but I was.
Speaker 1: Was that ad lib? Did he just make all that ship up?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Research that's a good question.
Speaker 1: I'm actually gonna looked that up.
Speaker 2: He probably did. I mean, they were probably it was probably a little bit, but then de Niro just kind of went off the rails with it. But this is the go ahead.
Speaker 6: Well her scor sa she don't doesn't do a lot of improv stuff. He likes to stick straight to his scripts. He don't like people doing improv. So it probably was written that way. Man, what I've heard about scor Sacy. I don't know if he was always like that, but I know later on scor Sacy he he like, do not mess up my script, even like the biggest like.
Speaker 2: Especially with the party. The party he got heard.
Speaker 6: I think, uh, Leonardo was talking about it and Matt Damon and they were talking about, Yeah, he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Like you to straight away from his script.
Speaker 4: Jack Nicholas part was sumprovised and that was its famously known that he improvised the whole thing.
Speaker 2: But the yeah, yeah, I was I was gonna let you finish, but you spiked on d like that.
Speaker 1: Rober I didn't say nothing. Nick.
Speaker 2: They got both of us love don't do that. But that dialedold scene with with Jack Nicholson when he was I forgot who he was talking to his girl or something like that. Somebody they said, that's not that wasn't in the script at all. But but Rod's not crazy. I've heard that too, that Scorsese does not like people to kind of venture off. But I'm sure he made an exception because it's fucking Jack Nicholson. But this is one of his first films. This is like his third fourth film, so he probably and he didn't write it. Somebody else wrote the script, so he probably was just like, I don't really care that much. And and I'm sure it also had to do with the fact that this scene was so good it seemed incredibly natural, Like when I watched this scene, this really does feel like some crazy ass white man that they he's gonna go take over New York. So I don't know, I will say before you move on, Mike, the scene with the Secret Service agent, what's hilarious. He was like, you, if you want to sign up, to give me your address and I'll say the information. I was like, okay. I was like, I don't know how crazy we're gonna see all that, but if you give him his real name and ship, he's a dumb ass. But he yeah, he didn't.
Speaker 1: But I think the okay, so you guys think the Secret.
Speaker 5: Service agent was was just taking notes and aware to look out for him later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think he was completely bullshit and he was not gonna get that man a job. He thought he was fucking weird. So he was like, oh yeah, man, yeah, sure, what's yours? Okay cool? And he's probably like, okay, I'm gonna have somebody investigate this motherfucker. And he gave me the right.
Speaker 5: Address, and when he got the wrong one, he definitely probably put him on how alert, you know, the lookout for him.
Speaker 2: So the next scene is a very controversial scene, and this is the scene at the convenience store. I'll start with you, Rob, what did you what did you think of this scene?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: This scene, so I didn't like I didn't necessarily like this scene.
Speaker 6: I understand why it was controversial, and it just kind of lends to Spike saying that about you know, the pimps being black. I like looking at that, I could, man, it does make sense that they had to probably change it up to where it wasn't so much violence against black people, but it's still because it was written a certain way, you still kind of felt it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Always hated this, and then then the convenience store got kicking him or beating him, like get him afterwards he's clearly clearly dead.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that that always like rubbed me the wrong way.
Speaker 2: But you know, yeah, yeah, I never I never liked that scene. Spike, what you think.
Speaker 4: I thought they were gonna start hitting down towards him being violent against black people, similar to Rods thing.
Speaker 1: I was like, I did, did sto have to be black?
Speaker 4: And then you beat the shit out of him too after you clearly shot him and didn't even have them rob in the store. Just it goes to what Nick said earlier and what Rodgers said of how they were portraying black people in this film. This is when I really started to notice it, and that's what made me look it up.
Speaker 1: At the end, I was like, this kind of kind of racist. This feels kind of racist, but I can't really put my finger on it. So interesting, Uh, Nick, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he just shoots him without any hesitation. I think this is the first kill that we see him doing the old film. And of course it's against black people. And then as an audience member, if I wasn't black, people will say that's justified because he was robbing the convenience store. And not only was he robbing a convenience store, he's robbing his friend because de Niro comes in and says, hey, how you doing. Even you know, the guy greets them and everything, so you seem like they're familiar with each other. So this is like a local store, so it seems like again de Niro is doing the right thing, you know. And then but then like the beating at the end, it was just like not only the beating at the end, but the convenience store owner letting him go and say like just get out of here. You did your job, you did a good thing. I'm gonna protect you. You know what I'm saying. It's just it was it was just like all right, what like I got to see how this film ends, because at this point, I'm like, I don't know what the fuck I'm like, I don't feel like I'm I'm feeling things I shouldn't feel because this is such a classic film, wondering why people look at it in high regard because this is a piece of shit scene.
Speaker 5: I would love to know what black people thought, those that watched it back back in the seventies. You know, we're you know, times have changed a lot now and we kind of look at things differently.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I didn't take it as a racist or anything like that.
Speaker 5: You know, I think when you're in a bad neighborhood in that way, there are reasons why they're there because of you know, systemic racism and all the other stuff that you can add on. So there could be a larger conversation that we had that we have about that. But for me, you know, this was the first act of violence that I saw towards a black person, and the reaction by the owner was violent in that way because he mentioned that this was the fourth or fifth time it happened that that month or that year or something like that, So over the top, yes, but he validated it with the reasons why he was frustrated, and him killing for me was a sign of him finally getting getting a chance to act out in violence in a way in his mind that was justified, and probably setting.
Speaker 1: Up like.
Speaker 5: This weird sort of test run to get to the palatine that he was gonna kill because he was gonna kill a white guy, you know, later on that was his main objective, was to kill a white guy who was running for president or whatever.
Speaker 1: So that's why I never.
Speaker 5: Really looked at the racist elements of it, you know when I when I watched it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this this scene is definitely a hard one to swallow. I don't think the movie itself is racist. For this scene, I definitely think that Travis is supposed to be It's supposed to be implied that he is racist because he sees the guy robbing the store. He could have easily just been like, all right, man, put your gun down whatever, whatever he was dying to kill somebody. Travis could not wait to kill someone face the second he saw the dude. When the dude turned around, bow immediately immediately. Is it racist that the shop owner then hit him with a fucking a bat after he was dead. I don't know if that's racist. If a motherfucker came in my store pulled a gun onto me, I might fucking whip his ass a little bit after he was dead too. I don't go that's right. I want you to go to hell remembering what happened in my motherfucking store. God damn it, the scene just looked weird to me. The way the dude was just like slumped over, and the fact that he like propped him up and set him up against the counter before hitting him, and he's just it's such a weirdly filmed scene that it always just makes me uncomfortable from like a racist standpoint, because it feels like the fucking store owner that felt like he enjoyed hitting that black man while he was dead and on the ground like that. So I give it that it felt real. It definitely felt real shot to me. What made damn.
Speaker 4: No, I just agree And the way it shot it looked like a documentary. Mike, you just stopped in the MIDI sentence.
Speaker 2: I heard you, I heard you start talking, and I want you to get it out. I'm the host man, so y'all are more important than me, So just get it out.
Speaker 4: Now I'm just agreeing with you and Rod did it felt like a documentary that scene, that shot, That's.
Speaker 1: What it looked real.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna mute myself.
Speaker 2: You know what, I don't mine.
Speaker 5: I do agree with you, Mike that he was he was definitely itching to kill someone, and you know, this guy just happened to give him an opportunity because at this point, he's he's already gone. He got a briefcase full of weapons, and he's ready to go kill the president, and he's he's a former Vietnam vet. I would assume that he's struggling to sleep because he PTSD or whatever and just having dreams and nightmares and stuff like that. So he's an insomniac and he's probably still not sleeping anymore his girlfriend who left him, so he is absolute gone.
Speaker 1: And hickme.
Speaker 5: This guy who's acting in this volid weight with a gun robbing his place, he was like, I finally got my shot.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: I didn't mean that in that way, but yeah, I finally got a chance, you know, to kill somebody, and.
Speaker 2: He took it. But I also look at it like, again, I tried a lot to not have a twenty twenty six gays and go back to seventy six, and I'm thinking, like, at that time, in this specific part of the country, was this U needed thing to push the for the and maybe not the again. And I'm black, so of course I'm biased, but like hesing a black person in that that way to justify not only murder, but justify the crime that goes on in the that city is just kind of like, all right, that's kind of very low hanging fruit and against I'm sure black people at that time, like you said, Mike still had an issue with it, you know, just like black people today would probably have an issue with that. Seemed like that, That's what I was thinking. I was just like, Okay, what is the overall purpose in the story with this movie forward? Of course we're seeing a man become more violent as the movie goes along, but I'm like, damn, like you just killing like again And going back to Louse with his point of like the original script, there was supposed to be a lot of black death because no white man got killed in this man or in the original script.
Speaker 1: But he was going to kill a white man.
Speaker 2: He was going to, but he didn't because that's him. But I know what I'm saying, but but but because he couldn't do that, he kills a lot of black people. That's my thing in the original script. Now obviously in the movie it's different. But based off of lou was saying, if I'm going off for that as fact, then that's like, okay, that makes the movie come off different. I do think that there's a difference between making a movie that's racist and making a racist character. I do think that Travis Bickle is supposed to be racist. He just I think that the subtlety of the whole thing is that, you know, if you know how racism works, you can tell he's racist by the way he's looking at black people. But I never really got the impression that the filmmakers themselves were being racist in the way that they portrayed black people. Travis is clearly going to a certain part of town, and in that certain part of town these things happen. So him going to this part of town, going to this type of store, and eventually having a black person robit, I think that kind of makes sense. It's still uncomfortable as fuck to watch, and it's still makes my stomach hurt every time I see it, but I also kind of think that that might be the point. We're supposed to feel uncomfortable in a way that Travis doesn't. Travis doesn't feel uncomfortable about what he did. He just doesn't want the cops to come get him.
Speaker 5: Because he has another He still wants to kill the other guy. And Nick, you said earlier, the city of New York is a character too. So that's why I never really applied like this whole sort of racial outlook on it, because I just looked at it as just part of the city that's that way by everything else, by just racist America, right.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And I'm not arguing that the film is like the filmmakers are racist. What I'm saying is that, just like you know, Rod, I always try to shout you out with, I have a thought about this, and like when certain black characters go through those black tropes or those black you know, situations that are stereotypical, it's just I'm like, was that necessary? Could this been another ethnicity, could have been another character portrayal instead of using black people to me as low hanging fruit. That's all I'm saying is that based off of what I watched and some of the commentary Lou made about what he watched from others recap it was just kind of like, Okay, I can see I'm glad they went in this direction because it was already tough going through that scene, especially during that time period. If they weren't even heavy handed on it, then I can see why other people will be like, Okay, this is a racist film.
Speaker 4: I don't think this filmmaking in it was racist. I think that the person who wrote the script was writing it racist. I think Swiss Says did a good job in taking that out of it and making it a more classic palatable film, though I.
Speaker 2: Don't even I feel you, Spike, I don't even know if I would agree that the person who wrote the script would have been viewed as racist because Travis, in my opinion, Travis was intentionally going to these parts of town. Would be like why I can't and give I can't even give like a comparison, because it's exactly what it is. Travis was going to these parts of town where it was predominantly black people, poor black people, and he immediately was like, this is scum, this is filth, et cetera, et cetera, and it's that point.
Speaker 4: To that point he's calling we hear his mind, his commentary being that he's specifically in black neighborhoods and referring to New York this way. I think that makes it even more kind of like racist Travis.
Speaker 2: Though I don't think that makes the person that wrote it, because in my opinion, it's not like they made Travis seem like a good guy. I don't think you're supposed to watch this but even though some weird white boys do, I don't think you're supposed to watch this film and look at Travis like he's a sympathetic character or hero.
Speaker 4: I bet it's some insils did, Dude one hundred, I wouldn't million, but this is what I thought when I watched this, Like, I bet this some white boys out here love this fun.
Speaker 2: With this ending, I could easily see how like some people can say, he's like the what we now know as like the anti hero. Yes, yes he's Bruce Wayne, he's Batman, but it's like, no, I don't think that the filmmakers meant for it to be portrayed that way. Travis throughout this film is supposed to be fucked up, a fucked up character. He's not supposed to be a good guy. He hates women, he hates black people, he hates poor people, he hates dirty people. The most interesting thing about Travis is he hates what He is, a filthy, dirty, nasty, scummy person.
Speaker 4: He sounded like a twenty twenty six intill one hundred percent spike with exactly what he sounded like.
Speaker 2: And to your point, Mike, if I was to write a slave Master, I'm going to write the way that he's saying these things and having these thoughts. And we were like, that's here. But you got this interesting nick is that they take this this angle of racism, and even for nineteen seventy six, they make it more subtle. They could have made Travis just running around calling everybody nigger, aka what Tarantino would do. But instead they're just like, look, he's a subtle racist. He's he doesn't like black people, but he's not doing it in a traditional way. Yeah, Rob got something to say to defend his king.
Speaker 3: What's up, man, It's just funny with y'all pick and choose.
Speaker 2: I knew it's what he was thinking.
Speaker 6: A shot a black man in a face mm hmm in this film.
Speaker 2: And if he called him, if he said nigger one hundred and eighty times before that, there will be a Tarantino film. If Tarantino did every single black person would be would be go ahead, rather fifty times shot him. And that is the problem with.
Speaker 1: But Tarantino was doing both make.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly ding ding ding. Black man got shot in the fucking dick. What is the main thing that white people talk about with black people, big old dick? They shoot him in the fucking dick, Rod, and you were like, Yeah, I love this guy. Oh what this my man? That ship he has? Watch? Oh, we're not about to talk about again.
Speaker 12: You do just try, you just tried. I'm moving on, Rod.
Speaker 2: What was going on with Travis at Senator Palatine's rally? What was he thinking there?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Ship? I sorry, sorry, Rod, I'm sorry. I skipped apart And I know you're gonna call me out on it, so hold on. He keeps having these runnings with the underage prostitute named Iris, Yeah again, played by Jodie Foster. What did you think of the meetup that he has with her? And do you think that this is where Drake got his whole stees from stripper and underage women at the same time, was Travis Bickle, the original Drake Jesus. I'm asking a question, Spike, and I'm asking I just want to know, man, what you think he was trying to save her? Man, he was just trying to save her.
Speaker 6: He wasn't He didn't have any ill intention, and we saw that at the end of the movie. I think that is the the bright spot about him is that, you know, he he saw he saw basically like a damsel in the stress.
Speaker 2: Even though she was adamant about the fact that she was fine, he was just like, look, you're you're you're young, you don't know, You're.
Speaker 6: Not trust me or whatnot. So I did think that was actually a bright spot. As much as he was trying to to advance on him, she you know, he continued to deny, deny or not uh to the point where he killed folks for it. So so yeah, I do like that about the Travis character, that he was adamant about getting her uh to safety.
Speaker 2: Mmm.
Speaker 4: I didn't think he had good intentions, really think he you know, I did not take that that way at all. I thought, he, ain't you you putting in this much work to get this little girl who's already out prostituting. Like, I didn't think that he was going to be Captain save a whole and like take her to her family and friends and be like you're okay.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: He don't even strike me as that type of person, Like I know he's a vigilante, but he just seems more violent, sinister, and dark to me in his character.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I think that she was her senses as a woman kicked in were not a woman but a girl kicked in.
Speaker 1: It's get away from you're weird.
Speaker 5: So I think his intentions were sincere, but I think they were for different reasons. I think it was because it maybe was his way of making up for what happened with Betsy.
Speaker 1: That's how I looked at it.
Speaker 5: And the ship was so fucked over her, it was like, oh, well, I can try to make a miss, you know, with this character.
Speaker 1: With a iris.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's an interesting take, Nick, did you get something different? I thought that because, like you mentioned earlier, that we see the interaction between him and her and the cab earlier on. I didn't know how he was able to track her down or how he was able to follow up with her. But I thought that to somewhat of Ken's point, that he was trying to redeem himself somehow, some way, because this is after he failed to uh oh no, no, this is before that. But like I just felt like he was just trying to redeem himself and be like, Okay, at least did this. I at least took this person out of a bad predicament and brought justice. But it did kind of I also feel like, to lose point, there was something weird about that interaction still, like it wasn't as innocent like we watched Mayor of Kingston. This remind me of Iris, like between Mike and Iris, like a character who is an anti hero, but he has a good heart and he actually goes out of his way to help people, at least innocent people. This just felt like he wanted to have an excuse to kill someone and this is the best reason for like anybody who does something to a child, that's like the number one thing. Like pedophiles are always hated, no matter even if you're in jail. So I think this is just more of a universal sin that he could justify killing. So I think all of these are interesting takes. Some of them are takes that I never thought of. But what I've always gotten from this is I just had to look it up and see what it was called. But there's this thing about the Madonna horror dichotomy that men still have. But men see women in two ways, either as a madonna meaning not like a singer, but like the actual madonna, like a pure, perfect woman, and a whore. A lot of men don't see a gray area. So he sees Iris as you know, she's obviously the whore, but he wants to turn her into the madonna aka Betsy, right. He sees Betsy as this perfect, angelic woman. So I do agree with Ken about he's sort of trying to make up because he wasn't able to save Betsy. I do agree with Rob, though I do think his motives are sincere. I do think that he was going to save her and take her back to her house, because he tells her earlier when they're having that conversation, He's like, you need to go home, need to go back to your parents. I think the interesting thing about this is Travis has no real say over what's going on with his life. He's crazy. He has to do these odd nighttime jobs. Because he can't sleep, he can't calm his brain down. If you look at the Iris character and the Betsy character, both of them are being controlled by men. He looks at it like Iris is being controlled by the pimp aka Sport and Betsy is being controlled by Senator Palpatine, not Palpatine Palatine. So he he looks at this and he's trying to save them. That takes us into the next scene. I know, you gotta run, Spike. I'm trying to get through this. You can go to seven five. Okay, we'll definitely be done by We'll definitely be done by men. This goes into the next scene Rod where Travis goes to Senator Palatine's rally. So what was going on there?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this is what I'll sayd In the beginning, this part has always confused me because I thought, but I guess y'all kind of explaining it earlier on where he's like a fake politician and he's not living up to his words or whatever. So I always was wondering, like, why is he trying to kill the man that said he's trying to click clean up the streets if they both are trying to clean up the streets, so that I always was confused by in the movie. But I mean, I think after y'all was talking about it earlier on in this review, I kind of understand it now that he also saw him as part of the problem, part of the problem as far as, like, you know, saying one thing and not being a man of your word and cleaning.
Speaker 3: Up the streets.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I'm just having a revelation on that, and I'm not even sure that's still the case, to be quite honest, Nick, what you.
Speaker 2: Got, Yeah, his I find it because again I've seen movies after this film that I understand the justification of somebody that you highlight and idolize as far as this crazy person, how you could easily switch and flip on them based off of something that it could be something small, or could be a conversation, or could be just like how you change your own mind throughout the as we see him progressing the movie. So him trying to kill him wasn't necessarily that off putting or like that confusing to me. It was just like I was expecting, based off the legacy of this movie, that he actually got the job done'n get close.
Speaker 7: So that's so pissed me, y'all felt I was like, wait, hold on, this niggase just ended up in the parking.
Speaker 2: Lot like and then getting chased off, and it was just like, Okay, so you did all that for what you know? That's what it wasn't no payoff for me for like him working out, him getting the gun, him doing all this training, the whole who are you talking to me type shit. It just seemed like That's why. I harken back to the scene where he killed the black guy. I was like, so you did all that just to not even commit the dude the number one thing you wanted to do or that you were practicing to do. It was just kind of like, Okay, that's it.
Speaker 3: Anybody.
Speaker 6: I honestly don't even know if it was about the politician itself. I think he met It might have had something to do with Betsy and bet hit him having just being jealous of that whole situation, So maybe it had more. Maybe that overtook the policy stuff. Like I said, I just met that. That part I've never kind of grasped as to why he would try to risk killing the politician.
Speaker 1: That's That's what I've always taken as right.
Speaker 4: I said, I agree with Nick. I was let down. I thought that this was the payoff of the movie. I thought that it is something was going to happen here, whether him shooting especially. It's like you said, Nick, as popular as this feel me, I'm thinking that he gonna shoot the dude to get shot or kill here. I didn't know that there was another payoff coming.
Speaker 2: And then he also, like he wrote the letter to Iris, put some money in the mail. He was like, listen by how you read it, I'm gone. So I'm like, all right, he about to go cash out, like he'll say, go crazy with it.
Speaker 5: So I always took it as this was him just trying to get back at Betsy, and this was one of the ways he knew how. I don't think that Travis was even interested in Palatine at all. He just happened to get in his cab and he had just happened to mess with me be dating Betsy, and he was just starting to just kind of put on airs and was like, oh, you're the guy, and just trying to do what he can to win her affection, and she just happened to work for him, so he was like, oh my god, you're in't here, And that's why I think he gave such a crazy, sort of weird answer about what he can do to help clean up the city. And once he lost Betsy, it was like, all right, well you still work for when I'm going to take you out because that's the one way that I can her, because I can't hurt her any other way. And but what I do love about this the scene was of course to reveal of the mohawk, like that shit is always dope to me, Like you just see like his midsection and it just stayed there for a minute, and then it poomed me, like, oh, this motherfucker is gone.
Speaker 1: At this point, it's a rap.
Speaker 5: It's over, he's deteriorated, he's and that's a rap. And I think that his his the evolved the way his character evolved over time. But you're also having evidence of this being present all the time. But he's there are things that he's holding on to that keeps him attached to reality, and when you move remove those things, it could send somebody spirally in a way that they never intended. And we see that stuff depicted in this movie, and up to the point where he completely transformed his image, you know, and and you know there have been many conversations article discussion of when people start shaving their hair and stuff like that. It's all, it's all, it's all present in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've always took it as him taking out Palatine was always about Betsy. It was never really about Palatine. If he takes out Palentine, he gets Betsy back. That's what his brain is telling him, because Betsy is being controlled by Palatine. Now where I disagree with with with Nick and Spike is it would have been wholly unrealistic for him to show up at that rally and be able to just kill the senator slash presidential candidate, because we see that he has secret service there. I think because the thing about it is he wasn't practicing all of that you're looking at me shit for Palatine, because that wouldn't even really make any sense, Like why would he be saying to Palatine, you're looking at me, you're looking at me. No, he was practiced seeing for what happens later at the convenience store, he was looking to shoot someone, not necessarily Palatine at the moment, but just some poor person, some poor person he knew he get away with in this moment, he thought if he could kill Palatine, he would get Betsy back. That's what That's how I've always taken it. But after the failed assassination attempt on Senator Palatine, Travis goes back to the brothel where Iris works. He kills Sport Sport played by Harvey Tytel.
Speaker 1: Real quick, what did.
Speaker 2: Y'all think of this scene? I thought Harvey Kytel did a great job of this movie. Uh, once he flicked his cigarette on him, I was like this, Dad, I was waiting for his Assai says that, but yeah, I've fucked with with his portrayal of a not fucking like likely. But it's just like I thought, he gave a real honest take about like what it's like to be in that work at that time, and even going back to his weird scene with Iris when he got that one fingernail that was catered and ship like that, but he over here like uh being intimate her, which was nasty as hell, Like it was like this is guy's is like a crazy creeping itself. But yeah, this scene was hilarious, Mike.
Speaker 7: Seeing us uphlarious, especially when the fat motherfucker who he gave the money to.
Speaker 2: The first time he was with Iris, he shot his hand. He was just screaming up.
Speaker 14: My man.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying this whole scene was just it was just like it was. This is where like I get Oh, Scorsese has always done this in movies where he just does the exaggerated scene like death didn't shootouts and ship like that. So I funk with this.
Speaker 4: Spike same here, like when he flicked the cigarette on him, like Nick's house, so he could have kill him. I want, is he gonna kill everybody else in here?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: How extreme?
Speaker 1: Is this gonna be?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: That's yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's a well executed scene. Damn y'all.
Speaker 5: Ken you're asking about the shootout, the first shoot up.
Speaker 1: I want to go.
Speaker 2: I want y'all to get your ship off. I'm just the host you w thirty one minutes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think for me, what I what what I've always liked about the pimp, and you guys have gave me new information I didn't know. I always loved the idea that the guy was white, you know, and it really felt good to see that, you know, instead of it being your stereotypical black person.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad they did did they did change that?
Speaker 5: So that's always been you know, I thought that I've had about it, you know, just seeing that guy Harvey coumetell in white.
Speaker 2: So I'm the only one that was really impressed by the acting performance here by by by Robert de Niro after he shoots him, the fact that he goes over and he like he panics immediately. He goes over and he sits down, and then he immediately gets back up and he's just like looking around. Then he goes inside. Like I've always thought that this part was fucking brilliant because if he just shot him and then just walked away cool, like no big deal again, it would feel unrealistic. But the fact that he shoots him and then he's like, oh shit, I really just did that, and then he goes and he sits on the fucking stairs right by him for like a few seconds, and he gets up and he's just like I can't stay here, and then he's like, well fuck, I'm mass just gonna kill everybody, and then he goes inside. That's what I was getting at Rod I said, it was a well executed scene. Man, all right, we're gonna speed this up so always, and he shoots the bodyguard and then he ends up getting shot in the neck. He kills Sport, then he kills the John that's upstairs with Iris, right in front of Iris. Why do y'all think he tried to kill himself afterwards? Anybody can take this. Not everybody has to go, but anybody can throw this out if they have an answer. I thought that was the original plan from trying to shoot I want to say POWERPA team, but valentime plentie. I thought that was just like he knew he was gonna die. This was just like like send off or whatever for him to be remembered as this whatever. So I thought he always had like a like a suicide kind of mindset.
Speaker 1: Same here.
Speaker 4: I thought that he knew that he had missed up, that he knew that he couldn't handle the consequences of what he had just done, kind of speaking to what you said about him being like a miss. As soon as he shot the pimp and then he thinks, okay, well I might as well go all out, and then you do it. He's like, I can't deal with the consequences of this and kills himself tried to kill this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was one scene I never really really fully got. I just always assume he wanted to go out like a martyr, but I never really got why he was. He did all this, and he was immediately just like, Okay, well I'm gonna kill myself. Like did he Maybe he thought his job was done because he did save Iris. I don't know, But I what did y'all take from the scene right after this, when the cops come and they're all holding the gun on him and then he does this with his bloody finger on his temple. What did y'all take them that.
Speaker 1: He wanted to die?
Speaker 2: I've never liked that either.
Speaker 1: Yeah I thought he wanted to die. Yeah, yeah, either. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've always taken like he just he was done at that point. Yeah, he wanted to die, But I've never really gotten a full answer as to why he wanted to die.
Speaker 5: You know what, the black guy did the whole finger pointed thing at him earlier.
Speaker 2: And that's why I've never believed that that actually happened. I think that that's just what Travis saw because it doesn't make any sense. I mean, I know they call him killer or whatever, but the fact that he's just doing over and over. It's just like, why is this, Why is this black dude being so weird? That doesn't make any sense. Why A you're acting like that. But I don't think that that really happened. I think that's just what Travis saw.
Speaker 6: You shake your head, I said, I think the same. I mean, because it doesn't. He obviously clearly let him borrow money and everything, so he was cordial with him.
Speaker 3: It makes sense. That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was cordial with him, but Travis still saw danger in black man. That's all right. Oh, go ahead. I was gonna say last day again, last funny moment when the dude he shot was they was fighting like toddlers at the ground. I was like, shoot him.
Speaker 1: I never understood that.
Speaker 2: He took all for him to die, But I mean, somebody, shoot haf your hand off. You're gonna try to kill him.
Speaker 1: But he was mad. He was the hand Mike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he chased him upstairs though, Mike, I'm thinking, like, all right, this guy's crazy, let me get a fucker out of here. He chased his ass upstairs, tackling him. I'm talking about, so I'm gonna kill you, I'm gonna kill you just swinging on him like like this, like I'm like football, but he's also a bodyguard. And no, I bet you no one has fucked with him like that, like they think about he shot his half his hand off and he shot him in the side or whatever, and the dude still had the power to run upstairs and fight and he stabbed him in the hand too. There he shut hand too. Oh man, This motherfucker was crazy. So last scene, Travis goes into a coma during UH due to his wounds, and he receives a letter from Iris's parents, who tell him that she's doing much better and she's back in school. But the movie basically ends with Travis going back to work. He gets Betsy as a ride, who tells him that she's kept up with a situation and he drops her off. The refuses to take any of her money, and he drives away with a smirk. What did y'all take from the ending? I can't believe him.
Speaker 5: She went all the way back when his image has been repaired and she realized she messed up, that maybe he wasn't so bad after all, and she she just tried to get back into good Grace, but he was like, nah, you know you messed up.
Speaker 1: He said, you had your shot and it's over. And I think the other.
Speaker 5: Thing I was thinking about, Nick, you know how you always say white man. Look, only a white man can fail like killing a person and then turn out to be a hero. Bro.
Speaker 2: Ruh. Those newspaper clippings pissed me. This editing movie them there pissed me off. But I will agree with your first point. Ken At Louis Rod, you know what I'm talking about. This reminded me of Mike Jones.
Speaker 1: Back then. They didn't want me.
Speaker 2: Now I'm hot. He felt like a million bucks when she got in that cabin. He let her walk away like I don't even need Joe ass no more go home like but going back to the point of the fact that he was a hero, like the parents of the girl was like, listen, we only can afford to go back to New York wants to pick her up. We wish you'd come back more to even thank you, like, and the whole city is going behind them and everything. He grew his hair out again like Samson, I'm just like, man, it's some bullshit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, his ending I didn't believe it. I couldn't believe that that's how they would end a movie like this. I don't think that, like, oh, everything's wrapped up nicely and he gets the girl and he gets to drive off after being a fucking psychle path for an hour and a half. Like, No, it didn't make any sense to me. And then I've seen the theory behind it, so it made more sense.
Speaker 2: Did everybody go, Rod, did you say your piece?
Speaker 6: I didn't say my piece, But like I can agree with Nick here, it is it is.
Speaker 2: In real life, it's it's it's really messed up.
Speaker 6: But I think in the in the idea of the movie, I liked it at the time. Yeah, I definitely wasn't expecting me. I wanted to expected him to live off a next shot. I think you shot in the necker.
Speaker 2: I went through his.
Speaker 1: He just.
Speaker 4: A scar, then didn't he died? The theory is that was in his head because we see this obscure view of reality that he always had. Like you said, Mike, this is how he would have wanted it to end. But in actuality, he died in that brothel.
Speaker 1: So he created a scar on his neck and his in his that was fake car. That was fake.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 12: That think about it.
Speaker 1: I don't have to think about it.
Speaker 2: He's laying there dying.
Speaker 4: If he's laying there dying and he's dreaming about, oh I make it through this. I survived this. His neck still gonna have the scar on it, because it's in his head. He actually got shot. He just didn't leave.
Speaker 2: But they said he was in a calm coma that was in his head. No, it was in a paper, wasn't it. He's saying everything, everything dreamed all of it once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything post everything, post the brothel is him dreaming how the perfect way it would have ended, but he actually died there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a that's definitely a theory because if you if you watch through to the very very end, if you're not paying attention, you'll miss it. But when he drives off, it makes it seem like, oh, happily ever after, and he looks up and he adjusts the mirror, and then the movie ends. So there's this piece where it's telling you, yeah, you think everything is sweet and it ended in this happily ever after way, but no, Travis is still crazy. So I've had the same theory that Spike just throughout, which is either he died in that brothel or he's still in a coma. But that ending did not fucking happen, where Betsy just shows up where he is and gets in his taxi. That didn't happen. It doesn't even make any sense that she would say the thing that she was saying in the taxi that and I just I watched what you did, and you know, no, man, no fucking way even after what Like, I'm sure she knew by that point that a crazy motherfucker where god damn mohawks showed up and tried to kill Palatine, And I'm sure she could put two and two together and say, oh, that was him. So there's no way she would go back to his taxi getting his fucking car. I'm like, oh, yeah, I heard what you did. You the shit bro should hang out later. No, this is Travis making up what he thinks the perfect scenario for an ending to this story is and Rod. Imagine if the story went with the original script like Lou said, and it was all black people that he killed, and.
Speaker 4: He was the ship they said, the studio man that they said, the struty was scared that it would be like riots, like real rights if they played it out that way for real, so that's why they recast everybody and brothel.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it was real, and I think what I do agree with you though, Mike, is when he looked in the mirror at that startling thing, I think that that was showing that, yes, this is real.
Speaker 1: But this motherfucker is still he still got that dog game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's gonna he's gonna snap back at some point to get rid of the so called filth again and all is not well with him, but for right now, he stay yeah.
Speaker 2: Always. I felt that scene with her in the backseat and her talking, granted, like some of the dialogue I felt like earlier in this movie was kind of they didn't really have that much chemistry, but I guess they shouldn't because he's crazy, But it just felt awkward. I was like, why the fuck would she say this? Why the fuck? Like you said, like, why would she come all the way one point eighty from thinking he's a creep to like, oh, I'm now back in love with him or I find interest in them? And how she knows what taxi is his because she just walked up and got in the car and the dude was like, oh, you got somebody in your car? How would she know what taxi is? His? Like, the movie's not written poorly to where we could be like, oh yeah, it's just bad writing, and it just carried on through the end. No way, no way, the movie the ending. If this was all real, the ending would be one of the most poorly written endings for a for a good movie ever done, because it doesn't make sense. She would just walk up, like, Oh, this must be Travis's taxi? What how did she get there? She walked to where his job was or where the diner was and just knew he was there. None of it makes any sense, but it does make sense if you're looking at this from the unreliable narrator that Travis has been throughout this entire film. So, huh, I said, I'm with Ken. I think it was real. I don't care what you no. You know what I would Rod, I would not argue with you or Ken, because there's not enough here for me to say that. My theory is is really you know, uh, super sound. So I wouldn't even argue with y'all. It could be real, but to me, it just wouldn't make a lot of sense, but it could be real.
Speaker 1: But if it's real, it's not as good as me.
Speaker 4: It's good to me, Yeah, to me, Yeah, he can't be like that in a film for an hour and then walk away with like, oh yeah, old happy Day.
Speaker 1: Like nah, I get out of here.
Speaker 4: I agree hundred people. Yeah, but this movie was different. That's what made this good. That's like, that's what made it better to me. Like I probably would have had a different opinion on it had I not looked at the stuff that broke it down and was like, no, this is what actually happened.
Speaker 1: Because as I was.
Speaker 4: Looking at that and he's driving away, I'm like, ain't no fucking way that they did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree the last thing I'll say. I definitely agree with what Spike just said. This movie is very different. It's not written in that white people are heroes kind of way. Again, if this was if Lena Waite wrote it, I might be with y'all. I don't think it was written to imply that white people just get away with everything, So I would not believe that he was able to go up in there shoot all of those people. Then the cops just be like, yeah, let him go. Nah, nah, I think they were all criminal. Criminals. Though they were all criminals.
Speaker 12: You still can't just go up shooting if it was like, that's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: As a lawyer, Mike, he was a bad guy, right, you're a bad guy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He wanted to save a child. He was going to save a child. That was the first few times I watched it.
Speaker 5: But then I was just like, nah, and and they she was real quick.
Speaker 1: I know we're closing out.
Speaker 5: But Jodie Foster, she was twelve, but her sister played the double in those you know, provocative scenes.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, that's good.
Speaker 2: So now you don't feel bad about looking at him being like.
Speaker 1: Damn, well, his sister was only eighteen.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm just wondering why that information was needed because it was gross. Either way, he was trying you, trying me money, y'all feel better. First of all, Jodie Foster ain't never do it for me, let alone.
Speaker 1: A twelve year old, right, I ain't never seen that damn as a child, right, right.
Speaker 2: That's one of the most uncomfortable things about this film. But anyway, anybody got well, Spike, you want to go ahead and give any any any final thoughts you can jump out of here. I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we reviewed this. I had never seen it.
Speaker 4: I always heard about the Narro's performance, and I was skeptical in the beginning, but as it got into it, I understood the complexity of the movie. I like, like Nick said, how New York was a character in the movie. So I got it once I watched it. I may not as hold it in high regard as people do the call of the classic, but I totally understand the sentiment.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think y'all ruined this movie for me. Wait, hold on, jump jump, But anybody else want to give their final thoughts?
Speaker 6: I was saying, yeah, yeah, yeah, sorry. I think I think us reviewing this has ruined this movie for me. I don't know if I feel I don't know if I like it as much anymore after this.
Speaker 2: Why what could we have said that ruined it for you? I never like because thinking.
Speaker 6: About the the things that they probably had the change and now looking back, like, yeah, that was weird with the black folks in this, like and they just I don't know, I feel like they made a pivot to to satisfy the audience, so looking back at some of the stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I like it as much as leave it to a Tarantino fan to be mad that they made the movie less racist. H Like, I think he just didn't have his coofy hat on what he was like, hold on this actually fucked up. I appreciate them making the movie less fucked up for black people, and actually I appreciate them taking to taking into account that black folk would have gotten really upset if they made everybody black. Yeah, but it's just it's just the idea. I think it's just already I.
Speaker 4: Guess you're saying the fact that they even had to change it is a problem for what he's saying.
Speaker 2: And ain't what he's saying nout alright, all right. I was actually surprised, Mike that, when watching this movie and watching the opening credits, that Martin Scort says he didn't write this movie, that he just drafted it. So like so that changed my mindset a little bit as far as like, Okay, how much can I put on the script and the story on him versus me just like separating, Like just look at the direction, how he the characters are portrayed like he did a great job, especially for the late seventies. Again, the grit and feel of the movie is amazing, but again, like the story is does and live up to the hype to me, That's why I said it's a note for me not say this is a horrible film, but it's just like, to me, it's just not as good as what I thought it would be. The Only thing that I really will take from is that the bones of this movie, the structure, the foundation of it has been used so many times by so many different directors, so many different films that you have to give it credit as something that is a classic. But yeah, it's it's just outside of that, Like rewatching this, I don't even know who I would let watch this if I was at the grip.
Speaker 5: All right, Yeah, I don't think it changes my perception of the movie, you know, with being potentially racist or the portrayal of.
Speaker 1: Black people. It's funny because I watched.
Speaker 5: Robert de niro is in another movie by Brian de Palmer Greetings that I watched after this, because I was just kind of looking at Robert de Niro's like what he did before that, I watched that and you watched that movie?
Speaker 2: Is that the one where he's is that the one where he's like, there's like gay prostitute or whatever, and a am I thinking of a different movie?
Speaker 5: He was trying it's a comedy, but he wasn't trying to go to war. They were trying to get out of war. Yeah, it's a really weird movie. But in that one, like their portrayal of all the things that are typically viewed as negative nowadays is present in the beginning because they talk about, you know.
Speaker 1: Gay people and black people.
Speaker 5: They used the N word a couple of times in the beginning, like the guy went to start a fight so we wouldn't go with black people so he can get out of.
Speaker 1: Going to war.
Speaker 5: And then there's all kind of weird things happening in that movie around that time. And and this was like a couple of years before this, so you know, it seems in line with it, but there wasn't an overabundance of the word that was being used, and it was in a specific context of the movie, and the kind of walked away from it. Same thing with this one, like we're that word. We mainly heard the word spooks and the N word. We once or twice at that in a movie with a lot of black people around and a seemingly racist you know, so I think it did a good job, you know, if that's the case of even being racist, portraying that in a way that isn't too over the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean reviewing it, but y'all definitely didn't change my opinion on this film. I think it's an incredible film. I am curious to read the stuff that Spike found about the original cast being black. I don't think I ever knew that, so that's really interesting. But I appreciate that they thought twice about how fucked up that would look, even if they did have the right mindset in place of look, Travis is racist, because Spike said he also saw that they said that Travis was going to be more overtly racist. I just don't think that that would have made the movie as good. In my opinion, if Travis was just running around I hate Niggers and killing black people, he'd been like, all right, bro, I'm good on this, it would it probably wouldn't have been a classic. But the way that they wrote Travis, the way that they wrote the characters around him, his weird motivations, and just the really interesting way that they shot this film. I think it was great. I think this movie is absolutely great. So so yeah, so that's gonna do it for us. Let us know what y'all thought about this review. And shit, this shit was an hour and forty something minutes, y'all. Motherfucker's better talk about this motherfucker all right, So we will see y'all next time we out.
Speaker 1: Peace pe