Speaker 1: It's so hard for them to choose somebody to actually beat the bachelorette.
Speaker 2: Literally, just be a bit more specific.
Speaker 3: I'm a black woman, seriously a black woman. I don't know if anyone's familiar with this show, but I was the second fully black woman to become the Bachelorette, right after Rachel Lindsay, and so that in itself was a historical moment, almost flapping up.
Speaker 4: Y'all you I actually didn't like Reality TV. I'm okay with it now having been on it.
Speaker 2: I must be imagined.
Speaker 4: I had never really watched the show. My mom did, so I don't even know it ended an engagement, is how little I knew about the show. But long story short, they actually ended up choosing her on that episode, and for me, that was a sign. I called my mama and I was hoping for her. It actually talked me out of it. You know, she's Nigerian. They don't play that, you know.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I want you.
Speaker 1: I want you to imitate your mama. How'd you expect how to say it?
Speaker 2: You're going to do? What's now? Joe, Go get your boots, red, go on Fundy, what if you need?
Speaker 4: That's essentially verbatim, how what I'm really most of my life, most of my adult life.
Speaker 5: I'm curious what you all would say is a piece of advice from your single season that helped you prepare for this season being engaged.
Speaker 1: What started as a search for understanding became a journey of transformation. Every letter that I wrote led me to this day.
Speaker 2: The day I.
Speaker 1: Got married November the twenty second, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 6: Dear my forever, Forever is a long time. That's how long I'll love you. Those lyrics echo through every fiber of my soul at the very thought of you.
Speaker 1: This journey has culminated with you as both the award and the reward of my pursuit of love. You are the award, the honor God placed before me, the recognition of growth, healing, and becoming the man I needed to be.
Speaker 6: And you are the reward, the blessing given after endurance, the gift promised to those who refuse to faint.
Speaker 1: This isn't just our story, this is for all of us. I'm a Terrasaur Whitfield.
Speaker 6: I'm Ashley R.
Speaker 3: Whitfield.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the podcast. Dude's gotta be tall like this?
Speaker 1: This is so disrespectful, just disrespectful.
Speaker 2: Good Lord, what did they what y'all got on? Y'all water in New York?
Speaker 1: Jesus Man, Thank y'all so much for coming on a Dear Future Wife of podcast.
Speaker 3: How y'all feeling I'm feeling good?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 2: Feeling good?
Speaker 1: Yes, So y'all went a very unconventional way to find love. What made you decide to go on the Bachelorette?
Speaker 3: Charity Well backstory. I was originally a contestant on The Bachelor, So my story kind of started a year before being coming Bachelorette, and I did not seek this out at all. My best friend at the time she nominated me put in an application. I did not know that she was doing this. It was one of those things that she just casually joked about with me and I was like, okay. I brushed it off. I was like, this isn't happening. And about four months later I was in the middle of grad school with all of this happening. And so four months later, I just finished grad school, working getting ready to move. I get a call from a producer and I'm like, who is this? I don't know this number, and they're wondering if I'm so single if I'm available for the Bachelor, and at the time I was, it was an immediate no. I was like, I'm not doing this and kind of sad on it because the casting process is pretty lengthy. It takes about three three to six months depending on you know, when they contact you, and the whole time I was like, is this an opportunity for me? Is this the that I'm supposed to be taking to maybe potentially find my husband? I don't know, So I really had to like kind of seek in and pray. Obviously, like my parents were like, you know, lots of questions, lots of raised eyebrows of like, okay, it's like the route that you want to take, but they were never also like they didn't they didn't full stop me. So I think in that season leading up, I just was very trying to be as intentional as I could with myself about how to prepare myself for like what this could be and what potentially could come from it. And you know, I got the call that I was selected, So I went through the whole Bachelor experience and that was obviously did not work out. Praise the Lord, and and I became the Bachelorette, which that was very another experience that was shocking for me.
Speaker 1: That's a god moment because I'm it's so hard for them to choose somebody to actually be the bachelorette. So I want you to testify about how did that And.
Speaker 3: You said it so hard for them to choose who was going to be the bachelorette, but also.
Speaker 2: More specifically black woman.
Speaker 3: I was getting there. I was about to get there literally a black woman. So I don't know if anyone's familiar with this show, but I was the second mono racial, so fully black woman to become the Bachelorette, right after Rachel Lindsay. And so that in itself was I mean a historical moment almost. And yeah, that that process leading up, I think there was a lot of things that I was experiencing why probably discounted my role in this of like, oh, it could be me. I definitely went through it and obviously giving historical context to the show and knowing like, Okay, it's been all of this for you know, twenty something years. It's not going to be me. They're just going through the motions. And so I went through all of like the interview process, right after I got off the Bachelor, doing what I need to do. But I was like, you know, it's not me. I'm just going to hang this up. This was a fun opportunity, fun experience. Cool. And I got told at our reunion, which is I'll let you share your story in a second. But I got told at our reunion that I was going to be the Bachelorette, and that moment really did. I mean, it rattled something inside of me. I was like, wow, like it was so much bigger than just my journey true of finding my future husband. But it was a moment for me to represent for black women. It was a moment for there to be just black women to see, Okay, she's a lead of a show, Like there's desirability there. Like the way that it just it came to be was, like you said, it was so much bigger than myself. And I really had to just really take a pause and just give things to God because I was like, oh, wow, like this this came to me, It came to me of all people, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amen, yeah, so don't it made you to go on the Bachelorette to find love?
Speaker 4: So similar kind of crazy. I'm actually, as she were asking that. I realized I have a few records on the Bachelorette, besides being the first to get two back to back dates thanks to this one, and being the tallest contest, that I actually was also the shortest cast. So I was two weeks out from filming, so sort of a long story we don't have time to get into, but essentially someone dropped out already had the cast all set, and it was a domino effect of something happening in La from them dropping out, and I'm in New York.
Speaker 2: My roommate ended up at the time being.
Speaker 4: Able to have the opportunity to essentially put throw my hat in the in the in the drawing to fill that last spot, and I thought he was kidding. It was I remember, like yesterday, it was two o'clock in the afternoon, just working, working from home, and then he was like, send me some pictures and I was like, what's this for? Like I ain't about that, you know, like, hey, what's this?
Speaker 2: Where is this going? And then an hour later I had.
Speaker 4: The casting agent hit me up and went through the interview. She loved me, and so I spent the next two weeks doing essentially sick month's worth of the casting process, thousands of questions, says six months, six months. Yeah, so most people are six months out, nine months, even up to a year before they actually end up on the show. So that two weeks was very rough, but made it work. And there was all these little moments that because I actually didn't like reality TV, I'm okay with it now having been on it, but I must be imagined. But at the time I was, I was like, Oh, it's the worst. It's not good for you, and it's not something that would ever want to do. I'm not someone who loves attention like that. I've gotten to my whole life being this height. So I was cool just being in the background. But there's all these little signs that kept happening that was like, hey you should maybe you don't close that door, like like your wife might be there. And I think the two final straws for me was this was about like forty eight hours before Flights. They had just offered me the role, like you got it, if you want it, please sign it. And and I remember I didn't.
Speaker 2: Want to be like a token black.
Speaker 4: Person on that show, because that's what happens a lot.
Speaker 2: They'll bring a.
Speaker 4: Black person on that show and they'll make it to top five just for optics, and then they get booted. You can tell the woman had no intention of being with that person. And so they were like, we're gonna cat We're gonna announce the bachelorette on the what was it again? The Reunions, the reunion special, the Woman's Tell episode, and so I remember seeing all the ladies.
Speaker 2: Up there, I'm like, okay, wait, I had it on mute too.
Speaker 4: Because I wasn't gonna hear all that, like I was. I just wanted to see who the heck the Bachelorette was gonna be.
Speaker 2: And then I saw it.
Speaker 4: They were all beautiful, but none was doing it, and I was like, see, I can't go on this show. But then they would paning this one every once in a while, and I was like now. I genuinely thought in my head, I was like, now, if they picked her, like I might actually do the show. But I was just saying that as a joke. It was just comments here in my head. I didn't even know that's how the process that they actually picked one from the show. I had no idea. I had never really watched the show. My mom did so I didn't even know what it ended an engagement is how little I knew about the show. But long story short, they actually ended up choosing her on that episode, and for me.
Speaker 2: That was a sign. I called my mama.
Speaker 4: I said, Mom, it's been crazy two weeks. I didn't tell her anything about it because it's happened so fast. Said, here's what's been going on. And I was hoping for her to actually talk me out of it, because like my mom, you know, she's Nigerian. They don't play that, you know.
Speaker 1: Like, Yo, I want you, I want you to imitate your mama. How did you expect how to say it?
Speaker 2: You're going to do? What now? Joe gonna get your boots ready? Go on? Funny wife?
Speaker 4: Any touch that's essentially verbatim, how what I've heard really most of my life, most of my adult live. But my mom actually had a very sentimental and like century moment and she was like, you know what, Son, sometimes like I've just found you in these positions and you thrive and sometimes it's meant for you, so go for it. So that was really what made me say, you know, well, let me take that risk.
Speaker 5: So what were you doing before the show, Like how were you dating, because we don't always see a lot of black men as open to finding love on camera on reality TV, like what would what was your dating journey like that led you to say, Okay, I'm going to give this a try.
Speaker 2: You know, I actually was at this stage.
Speaker 4: But right before I met Charity, I was dating very intentionally. I'm thirty years old, I've done it all, and I was generally looking for a wife and New York is actually not a bad place to do it because there are so many different people, a lot of open minded people. So but my thing was I wanted to not hurt anybody anymore, like that is the most important thing.
Speaker 2: After my first two.
Speaker 4: Relationships, I learned that and I do not want that feeling. And there's enough pain in this world already. So I was dating very intentionally, very honestly, and if it didn't work out, I would tell them here, here's the deal, like it's probably not going to work out, or if I want to see them, I would let them know, so zero games. But honestly, I did that in like two years, and I started getting down was like, damn, I really gonna find somebody, like, you know, because it's tough like, you put so much effort into it. I'm not dating, you know, with my brain turned off. I'm really put an effort to get to know these people. See if it would make sense, because I don't want to be hurt and I don't want to hurt anybody else. And so yeah, luck would have it that again, that whole TV experience happened, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hopefully that answers it. But I was just dating very.
Speaker 4: Intentionally and then really picking doing the online stuff, but some people in person too. I didn't really close any doors there because Lord knows we all.
Speaker 2: Need all the help and get truly.
Speaker 1: There was a moment on the show asking I we watched someone put every scene that y'all were in and made like an hour and twenty minute video, And so last week I just watched the whole thing and I was like, let's see their story. And so of course I fell in love with y'all. Didn't get a chance to see her dating nobody else. And I heard them mention one guy, and I was like, who's this guy? So I would to go look at that, like you better not try to take my minute, Like I already know the whole story had took place, but I was like, I know they better not had liked him, and so I went and start getting my feelings involved, and I was like, I forgot the years past.
Speaker 2: They already worked out.
Speaker 1: But it was a moment in there that that touched my heart because I had the same moment with Ashley. And I told Ashley last year that if she's not my wife, I don't know who my wife is.
Speaker 2: I just don't know who. I don't know who she is.
Speaker 1: You had that moment where she was in this decision where she had to choose you in another guy, and you felt that same feeling. Speak from a man's heart and tell me what were you feeling in that moment, and just share your heart.
Speaker 4: That last final Rose, that's what they call it. From this last two people, you called the final Rose. It's got to be some of the most intense moments and hours leading up to it because you've I've spent my time truly falling for this person.
Speaker 2: Literally because you'all went Scott.
Speaker 4: Literally yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: One of our days we went Bundy jumping off the highest bunge jump in North America is crazy, and we did it twice.
Speaker 2: But that was actually a really good bonding moment. And like one of.
Speaker 4: The great reflections I had was that date, you know, in the moments where she was about to make her decision and I'm just thinking about how much I connected with her, and it became very heavy, and it was it was always very serious. But man, just knowing that I might lose this person and you might lose this connection that feels so divine. It's a really tough pill to swallow. But I was very humble in the way I approached it. I let her know that I again, I don't want to hurt nobody, so you can choose whoever is best for you. I let that be known to her, and if it's mine, then she will come to me. And that's what happened. And so once I got that, you know, even her, she was trying to give me some signs at the final rows because she can't say who it is. So I'm standing there and I'm nervous, and she's like, she's give me a little signs like it's gonna be okay, Like don't worry, she's smiling.
Speaker 2: She wouldn't do none those things. She's gonna axtend me.
Speaker 3: Is he about to turn me down.
Speaker 4: That was not that I'll tell you, because you don't want to lose it. Like I didn't want to lose it that bad, because it'd be such a devastating feeling to have be like, yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: This in the bag, and like, you know, to lose that.
Speaker 4: So I was just very humble and I know that I gave her the option to choose freely and that yeah, she chose me to be meant for me. So very heavy, intense, but very worthwhile experience.
Speaker 3: And when did you know? I mean that question, I'm like, I feel like it changes, but it doesn't, because there was a moment that was so clear on our season that was like, wow, that's when the tide really turned. And if you did watch our season. If not, it's okay, I'll give context, but I want to say it was our maybe like our third like one on one moment together. We were in Oceanside, California, and I brought him up so that he could have just kind of the safe space to like have more depth, vulnerable conversations. And I knew that that was something that he would value and probably needed, and so I was like, let me do that for him. And I think he paid so much attention to that, and again, like I said, value that. But when we were having that conversation, it was an emotional conversation, which I was not expecting. I was like, Okay, we're just going to have this like cute little talk and then all go on about our night, but okay, please, But basically he started talking about how he was so observant of my role as bachelorette, and not as bachelorette, but like really who I was, like who Charity was, and without giving all of my therapy notes. That was so profound for me because I don't, like, I don't think anybody in my life really had been able to recall in that moment or just recall ever back to me things that they observed about my personality and my character and what they saw and how they loved it. And so it was really just like almost an hour long conversation of him just wearing his heart and I really couldn't get much words out because I was just brought to tears. But it was such a moment that even the camera crew they had to be like, what's going on because the whole room was just filled with so much love like you could just sense it, and I mean, yeah.
Speaker 4: Paying attention to the moment's off camera, like yeah, yeah, you know, because it's so easy to just watch, Okay, some camera and she's but I was paying very close attention to who she was when the cameras weren't rolling, and I was just in awe and I was just truly amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah there's someone special there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So when he thinks you yeah, so when he when we had that moment, I was like, okay, like I'm locked in. Let me let me do the same back. And honestly, the show could go either way, like it could, I mean, the next day it could be like very clear he's not it. But it just progressively blossomed and like I mean, I didn't have to do anything extra. It was just so present and I was like, wow, like it's here, Like I just have to like dive in, take it for what it is face value. And I did exactly that. I was a very intentional bachelorette. A lot of them will not say this, but I journaled. I wrote down almost like key points from every single conversations. I would like pray over that every night because I don't have I can't talk to my parents. I can't talk to my mom. Like my mom would know everything about this process, I could not talk to her, and so that was really hard, and I had to rely just solely on myself and what I knew about myself and my experiences. And that's challenging. It's really challenging if you're not prepared for that. But I did as much as work as I could leading up to that moment, and so I think that's also a testament to just how I was able to really just dive in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: Y'all get a lot of pushback for this. Let's give context. The show seven weeks is the seven weeks?
Speaker 3: Oh so correct you, it's actually ten weeks.
Speaker 2: It's ten weeks.
Speaker 3: I had the short season as bachelorette.
Speaker 2: Normally you won't talk about that.
Speaker 1: So ten weeks. Then y'all get engaged. When did the engagement take place?
Speaker 3: The engagement is the very last day.
Speaker 2: I mean what year three? So twenty three is twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: And then when I posted said that y'all are going to be on the podcast, it was one comment and that said, why aren't they married yet? And it was interesting because a couple of days later, you made a carousel post where you talked about the journey and a lot of people don't put contacts around it that you meet a total stranger and in seven weeks y'all get engaged. How many y'all would get engaged with somebody in seven weeks that you just met?
Speaker 4: Ain't nobody raising that? That's when darvil far Well, I love it, y'all.
Speaker 5: Let's qualify it, because seven weeks dating could be every day with that person.
Speaker 1: What about if you, yeah, seven weeks and they were dating twenty other people?
Speaker 2: There we go. Now we're getting close to the true.
Speaker 3: We'rell out another one and you spent maybe a total of forty eight hours with.
Speaker 2: Them, a total combine? Yeah, forty eight hours? How y'all do that? Probably not nobody?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: And so you made a post I want you to share for those that may not even know what post I'm talking about, share what you've shared that in that post? And why did you decide to share that this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So honestly, it's just kind of a way for me to self reflect and part of just our journey in engagement season. But essentially I made a post that kind of summed up just lessons that I've learned in this season, which basically said, we had a long engagement, here's what it taught me. And I included roughly like six or five posts. The first one was marriage is a goal, not a finish line. So to give context to that is exactly referencing why we didn't rush to just immediately get married right away. There is so much that I don't think people realize. It's like, you guys obviously see the show and it's buttoned up and it's you know, edited, so you see as much personality as you think that you see about us, but there's still so much that is missing from that. And when the cameras stopped rolling, that's really when I we like to say, when the bubble pops and when real life really begins and it is truly a journey. It is not as easy as I think people think it. It is on the outside looking in. And I say that with like, obviously we're sitting up here today and there's so much beauty in that, but it is it's challenging, and I think we came to terms and we realized that like very early on, that it's like Okay, there's so much more that we have to learn about each other and to do the work behind that, like you have to you have to put in the work, like you have to foster it. And so to us, it was never like we knew we were committed to each other, but it was not about like, Okay, let's see who can get to the to the marriage line on the fastest, like it's it's not it really is not a race. Like what we're trying to build is supposed to be beyond marriage. It's supposed to last beyond these years. It's not Okay, we don't want to be just another exclusive press like Okay, Charity and got married. It's like, no, we want to have the story to share for years to come and know that what we built and what we foster is going to be long lasting. So that was essentially the first slide, and then the next slide was to become one. I basically talked about building like healthy boundaries in engagement season, but also like obviously in marriage, so finances, communication, all those things that are just like so important that you really need to have hard boundaries and you need to talk about and they ain't gonna be nice but you got to talk about and come to a reasonable agreement on them. And then I'm trying to think, I'm blinking on what else I put.
Speaker 1: I mean, the main part was just it was just I mean, it was basically just sharing the realistic, uh journey.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Love that it doesn't have to be And I'm glad you said that. Is that people don't know that there's pressure.
Speaker 2: Behind the songs. Oftentimes I don't get merrid what'll do and what I do? You'll have to be the success story.
Speaker 1: You're like, No, I want our marriage to be a secresy, not the story to be a surred And that's that's the key.
Speaker 2: Do I have a date picked out?
Speaker 3: We do have a date, and we've been had a date. We just have not released it to the public and we're not going to. It's just something that we again want to maintain as privacy to us because it's just it's a beautiful, intimate moment and we share so much already that that's something that we just want to it's good keep to ourselves. But you guys will see the pictures.
Speaker 2: That's good. Sod.
Speaker 1: When you when you look back over this journey, you've been a person that's not wanting to be in the public eye like that. You don't you don't really care too much about that. How have you had to adjust to the lifestyle of your wife to let her show up in her full glory without dimming her light, but also give space because you're really big about mental health and all that, but to give space to your own needs so that you don't do self infliction mentally to yourself to say, I this is times I will post as the times I would do this or maybe say no to certain things.
Speaker 2: How have you found that balance?
Speaker 4: I think luckily we sort of have a natural balance in that way, and just in a way, I was sort of prepared for this in my whole life again just being tall and having the attention, you know, for a long time. I was also a last born until my little brother came along twelve years later. But like I'm used to sort of having attention naturally, so it was very good at knowing how to step back and like so, you know, Charity can be short of the opposite too, in the sense, you know, she sometimes she wants to be in the center and she likes that.
Speaker 2: That's just like you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, a little bit you know wrong with that, So it works out perfectly actually because she can help take some pressure off me and I'm able to allow her to shine. Yeah, that the part of that journey is also just learning your partner and learning you know, the little ins and outs of how they want to show up in these in these moments, and so that was a little bit of a learning curve too. But overall, I think it's just been a really good balance naturally. So like, I'm very grateful for that because I know a lot of times it's not the case. A lot of times both people here want to be in the front and want to be in the center of attention, and I'm sure that's a downfall of many relationships from reality TV, along with a few other things. And so yeah, just again one of those things. We're just really blessed and lucky that we sort of have that balance. But ultimately we're both also very much just down with the realness and so like when we need to really pull back, we will both pull back, and we're always on the same page in that in that regard. So yeah, in that specific sense, I think we got a little lucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to add to that to you I think early on, like immediately after this show, that was one of the first things that I think we set boundaries on, was like our relationship with like how much which we were sharing on social media, or just also our relationship with social media, and it's it's had its seasons because obviously at the end of the day, like we still have like work associated with it, so we have to show up in that capacity and that has been challenging trying to like, you know, figure out how much of that and how how little of that we're.
Speaker 4: Going to do.
Speaker 3: But I think establishing all that early on was probably the most beneficial thing that we did in our relationship, because social media can be a beast of its own, as we know, and if you don't have a healthy relationship with it, it's easy that it can take over for share.
Speaker 2: As we get ready to conclude, are you aout to say song?
Speaker 5: I was, I was just gonna say, since this is a singles event, I'm curious what you all would say, is a piece of advice from your single season that you that helped you prepare for this season?
Speaker 3: Being engaged you want to go sorry.
Speaker 4: I think the big thing is be ready and willing to take the right risks because sometimes it's worth it. We all end up just staying in our little bubble, living life day to day sort of similar, but expecting mister magic and magic to pop up in front of you.
Speaker 2: Be ready to take that risk. And that risk doesn't mean.
Speaker 4: Jumping on a TV show, obviously that's a rare opportunity.
Speaker 2: But it might mean being more vulnerable than you might be.
Speaker 4: You know, it might mean going to therapy and assessing what's going on underneath the hood and being able to share that that's what it might be, So try to find that little switch or change that might open up something better. But again, just just being mindful of Yeah, just that pretty much, Yeah, anymore, keep.
Speaker 2: It at that.
Speaker 3: I would have to say, for me, it's pretty like I feel like cliche, but it's not being okay with being single, like not rushing your journey out of that. For me, before Bachelor and Bachelorette, I did not date. I was not dating before, like for the whole entire year leading up to it, And I think it really did prepare me because my ability and how in tune I was with myself helped me on the show. It helped me, like ask certain questions. It helped me like see things that I was like, nope, I've seen this before, Like you're out of here, and I think again. Sometimes there can be a negative connotation that comes with singleness season, but I'm like, I love my singleness season and I love my engagement future wifee season, but it is okay. And putting that reminder and giving grace to yourself that there's beauty in it and in the right timing and due season is coming. I promise that it really is.
Speaker 2: And that's good. Good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let that be the final question that was so powerful. We're all nervous about.
Speaker 2: Doing this a little bit.
Speaker 3: Wow, I don't know, Just like always, it's the other world, it's the other side of the outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh well, I'll say this as we wrap up. How do y'all cover each other in that? How do y'all cover each other from the world, not allowing what other people say to affect and infact your relationship?
Speaker 2: How do you do that?
Speaker 3: I'll be very honest, It's something that I struggle the most with out of the both of us. I'm someone that's like, oh, like, because I think I know our intentions and I know our heart. I want everyone else to see that. And so when it's not shown, I'm like, oh, I need to like sometimes prove myself. But it's like, no, I don't have to do that work, Like that's not my job. And I will say Dot you can hop in here. He does a very fantastic job just keeping you know, keeping us in the straight and narrow.
Speaker 4: I try too, Yeah, yeah, I don't. I mean, I call people think, but I don't care what people think. You know what I'm saying, Like, I know, I'm a good person. And so I was very lucky to again be a little bit older going in the show and come in with that. And we had a very really good trial period. But Charity going on desk with the Stars right after the show, and that was when I really learned, we both really learned how deep this internet stuff can go, and how rude people can get in racist and the level.
Speaker 2: Of protection that we would need.
Speaker 4: And so that actually helped us and force us to have really deep conversations about what's important. So listen, I ain't afraid to pull the currents back. I'm not selling ourselves for no money or none of that. Like never, I will pull back if if that means protecting our mentals, So I try to do my best to be there and support her and also just tak care myself in the process.
Speaker 2: That's good. That's good man. Thank y'all for being transparent and vulnerable. Thank y'all.
Speaker 1: Thank y'all, because a lot of times people have PTSD when they get ready to do an interview and they'd be like, how this is going to show up and it can go all kinds of ways.
Speaker 2: Trust me.
Speaker 1: May the love you shared today outlive the season you in.
Speaker 5: May marry you through the days when words are few and.
Speaker 2: Faith has to do the talking. Y'all give it up from y'all. Thank you. Listen.
Speaker 1: Ladarian thrust it suddenly into child protective Services in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: My nephew, black a boy.
Speaker 1: The likelihood have been adopted outside of kinship. Slim to none Rmione, sixteen years old, black a boy with five years in the Falseter care system before I even knew his name. The likelihood have ever been adopted?
Speaker 2: Yep, you guessed it. Slim to none.
Speaker 1: While Ladarian and OURMIONI were trying to survive and barely thrive in an overpopulated and underfunded false care system. I was living my own life, doing well professionally, having been a single father with a daughter who at that point was doing well in college.
Speaker 2: It was my time to live my life right.
Speaker 3: Wrong.
Speaker 1: I felt unsettled, tireless, agitated. There are just too many of our Black children stuck in ambiguity and in the limbo of the Falter care system. In twenty seventeen, I legally adopted my nephew Ladarian. Fast forward to twenty nineteen. I had no ties to this other young king, but I felt God instructed me to adopt him also, bab Starting over with parenting should have been enough. Right, Working with various foster care and adoption agencies to help bring awareness to the countless young Black kings and the Falster care system should have decreased my agitation. Right join the board of directors of Advantage of Adoption and organization that helps find permanent adoptive homes for children in false care should have led to some type of resolve.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. None of it felt like I had done enough. I now realized that every one of those experiences was land the fundamental foundation for my life's mission. Kingdom Royal Kingdom, Royal would be a luxury, state of.
Speaker 2: The art home for foster boys.
Speaker 1: Our first location will be in the Dallas Fort Word Metroplex. We will utilize the whole person approach that instills identity, empowers them to advocate for themselves, and enlightens them regarding new perspectives and limitless options that they thought were impossible. Though the young Kings will attend the local public schools that are in proximity to King of Royal, Our at home curriculum will broaden their worldview through participating in the arts, attending various cultural events, learning about and engaging in multifaceted discussions about current events and even relevant historical contexts, introducing them to gardening and landscaping, and even caring for our animals on our form and on site stables. We just launched our startup capital campaign with the goal of raising two point eight million dollars.
Speaker 2: Now why two point eight million dollars? Well.
Speaker 1: In twenty seventeen, I created a web series in which I performed random acts of kindness for targeting the homeless community. One of the most notable successes was that one of the videos went viral, garnering twenty eight million views. However, one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't raise a single dollar to help in implementing a more sustainable plan for the homeless community. So, throughout the years, with much remorse, reflect and are not maximizing that moment.
Speaker 2: I knew if at that time.
Speaker 1: Just ten percent of the viewers donated one dollar, we would have raised at least two point eight million dollars that could have really established long term support for the homeless community, or at least started a long term initiative.
Speaker 2: To do so.
Speaker 1: This is my do over, this is our new beginning. Together, we can attack this at the route by specifically helping our homeless Black boys who are already disproportionately represented in the American fossil care system. I'm the Terisar Wheifield. I've been nominated for three regional Emmys documenting my work with the homeless as well as my personal adoption journey. Despite those accolades, the greatest award for me is truly providing the infrastructure for a transformed life. Visit Kingdomroyal dot com for more details Crown of King and make a donation today. I hope you enjoyed this episode of the Dear Future WIFEI podcast Remember be lit, live intentionally and transparently, and don't stop loving. Make sure to subscribe to our Dear Future WIFEI YouTube channel. We're available on Apple Podcasts, Little Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Speaker 2: Be welcome your support. Simply share our podcasts with your friends and family.