Speaker 1: Hi oh, let's go oh, let's go oh, let's go oh, let's go Welcome back to SHAWT Snooze Talk one oh seven point nine FM WBT.
Speaker 2: Brad Jensen here with you, come it to you. Two minutes late. Don't know who that is?
Speaker 1: Two minutes late, seven oh four, five seven oh one O seven nine And again that is the WBT text line driven by Liberty Buick GMC.
Speaker 2: I don't know why we are two minutes late. Get in on that. We'll figure that one out. So pull a TJ.
Speaker 1: I mean TJ was complaining being thirty seconds late. Somebody somebody's jacking it up, making me two minutes late. My people expect me at six h five, not six oh seven.
Speaker 2: We have to do something about that, all right.
Speaker 1: So anyways, we've got some stuff we're gonna get into, and you know that I will take you behind the scenes like no one else in this station can, and very few people actually in this city can. When it comes to behind the scenes of media. I've been at the smallest levels, and I've been at the biggest levels, and everywhere in between. I've covered major major sporting events, major major political events, major major news events, and it's not to like sit here and pat myself on the back and govern my resume. But when I tell you things about the way things work behind this curtain, no one else can tell you about it, and I can.
Speaker 2: I've been in the middle.
Speaker 1: Of this for thirty years, like I said, from this, like it says in my ex bio, I've covered everything from six year old six year old championship swimming to the Olympics, and been in the middle of a war over there in Ukraine near the like right beside the front lines, interviewing people whose villages have been bombed out, and they call me breaking bray. This is going to be about breaking news and house sources. And this topic is very relevant because of what's going to be taking place in a couple of days with ancient Anthony Fauci and you know the the Covid Zar if you remember all that craziness where he said, you don't need a mask, you need a mask.
Speaker 2: You don't need a mask, you need a mask.
Speaker 1: So and there's a reason why, and I know that's a cliche now because everyone uses that term.
Speaker 2: There's a reason why this, there's a reason why this happened. There's a reason why that happened.
Speaker 1: Well, we now know the reason why Joe Biden gave Anthony Fauci immunity for basically twelve years, ten twelve years, whatever it was going back eight years, I guess, going back to twenty sixteen. So anything that Fauci did between twenty fourteen, whatever it was in twenty twenty four Fauci cannot be prosecuted criminally for not only did he do that for some, but he did it for Anthony Fauci, and I believe he also did it to a couple of then congressmen like Adam Shift and stuff like that, who were clearly breaking US law the way they were doing things, like clearly breaking rules in the Constitution on the way to set things up, like truly, like it's not even it's not even a debate, because if they weren't breaking US law, then why would they need the pardon they get out of jail free card from Fauci dating back for ten years.
Speaker 2: So there's some things that I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Play for you, and I will apologize in advance if it sounds a little weird or a little muffled. And the only reason I'm saying that is is because T Mobile is experiencing a power outage nationwide.
Speaker 2: Yours truly is on T Mobile.
Speaker 1: And I I can't email certain audio.
Speaker 2: I can't email audio.
Speaker 1: So with that being said, I'm gonna have to try and play the audio over my phone because, as I just said, I can't email it. Well, Brent wi Fi, no, I get it. No, I understand what you're saying. That'd be a note. I've had SOS on my phone for over an hour, meaning the only thing you can do is reach out to nine to one one on your phone. That's the only thing you can do. Meaning your phone is in SOS mode, you can only call nine one one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, oh, somehow mine just went through. I don't know how, but I think it did all right. That actually amazes me. So no, I don't want to play it here because I want to be able to get into it next segment and like not play for you now and then have to discuss it and then go, okay, well when we come back, we're going to discuss it. I actually wanted to be able to discuss it, and I may have Lonnie stop it at certain points so I can tell you.
Speaker 2: Some things that are going on.
Speaker 1: But what I am going to do is I'm going to take you behind the scenes of what it's like when you're dealing with sources, because the audio that I'm gonna play for you deals talks about that and things that Fauci did, things that he literally wrote in his diary. First of all, I was not aware that a sixty something year old man kept a diary.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it had.
Speaker 1: His little cover had unicorns on it and pink flowers. Not sure, not sure, little unicorns, flowers, rainbows, not sure. Sixty five year old man, twelve year old girl. Not quite sure, although he's about the size of a twelve year old girl. But oh my gosh, I got it back. I'm up to five g My cel service is back. Maybe that's why my email finally just went through to Lonnie.
Speaker 2: There you go. How about them apples?
Speaker 1: It only took T Mobile, Nation's largest carrier, service to only an hour to get cell service, Thanks T Mobile. Shape that do I get a discount on my bill for not having mobile service for an hour? But I do want. Like I said, what I'm going to do is like sort of like a magician, you know, like there's a lot of things on YouTube now where magicians will tell you how tricks work. They've broken the code, so to speak, and show you certain things on how illusions work, magic trick works.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to do the same thing and take you behind the scenes and behind the curtain about dealing with sources, the dues and the don'ts, the ya's and the na's. Because my entire brand, my entire career has been built on breaking news. I've never been the guy that wants to write the nice, fluffy story about the one arm baseball player who's twelve years old, or the dog that can climb a tree whatever, Like I'm not mister touchy feely, oh human interest.
Speaker 2: No, that's never been me.
Speaker 1: From the onset, a coworker of mine at the Charlot Observer got laid off and fired because I was breaking stories on his beat and I'd been on the job six months and they're like.
Speaker 2: Dude, this has been your beat for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: It was this no name who knows nothing about journalism breaking all your stories and then they ultimately let him go. True story. I was twenty three years old. It's the Charlot Observer, and that's been my forte Some of the biggest stories I ever broke, or even when I was working at the Hickory Daily Record, and this would have been from ninety eight to two thousand and I broke a massive, massive story on Lenard Ryan athletics that wound up in the Washington Post and the Associated Press and other places I've that's I broke stories on the University of South Carolina and cheating that was going on with their football program under Holtz and under Steve Spurrier. Sports Illustrated even called me about it. So this has like been my whole thing. This is I've hung my hat on breaking stories my entire career. So when we come back, I'm gonna take you behind the scenes a little bit. I'm gonna pull back the curtain. You're gonna hear some audio, and I'm gonna discuss the dudes and the don'ts. Going back to breaking good Brett Jensen, all right, so we're gonna jump straight into this.
Speaker 2: Okay, We're gonna jump straight into it.
Speaker 1: This is Megan Kelly earlier today talking about what's in Fauci's diaries.
Speaker 2: Again, I did not know grown.
Speaker 1: Men kept diaries, but okay, again, I don't know if they're pink with unicorns and rainbows on them, little flowers, but who knows. So Fauci keeping a diary, an actual diary, and making Kelly. Here's about two minutes of audio of making Kelly talking about what's in the diary.
Speaker 3: Dana Bash, who is featured there of CNN in April of twenty twenty one, after his Fauci's heated exchange with Ohio Representative Jim Jordan at a hearing, Fauci Dana bat Fauci wrote in his diary, Dana Bash sent me a text, and then he quotes the text. This is what a sad, little pathetic manny is who writes down their texts that they've received from people who are on television, just so they can keep them a note of how many famous people texted them. Dana Bash sent me a text quote, I just watched the whole Jordan thing again. You're a better man than I. Well, what do you mean, You're not a man? As our friend Wolf Blitzer said to me yesterday, no would have blamed you if you said, simply, mister Jordan, go yourself. So this is Dana Bash, who's still interviewing him on her show as though she's an objective newsperson, texting him this behind the scenes. Then there's Jake Tapper, he writes, had dinner over at Jake Tapper and Jen Tapper's home in DC. Terrific couple friendship building again so weird. Normal people don't behave like that unless they're users, right, which clearly he was. Then Tapper, the most revealing aspect of these pages, writes the Ran Paul Team, or how Fauci worked with compliant journalists to shape media narratives. On July twenty six, twenty twenty, while watching the Assistant Secretary for Health and a fellow member of the White House Task Force be interviewed on CNN's State of the Union, Fauci writes that the Assistant Secretary for Health was talking about testing with Jake pressing him quote. I gave Jake some questions to ask him, and then Tapper and he were making fun of Laura Ingram of Fox News. After my Laura Ingram hit Jake Tapper texted me saying, sarcastically, quote, hard to believe Laura Ingram went to Dartmouth, isn't it? All of us alumni are very proud. What the hell he's this is a federal official whom he should be cross examining and pressing and cynical love and pessimistic about that's what you get paid to do, now, Chum, chum, we dart with alum. Can't stand Laura Ingram. All of it is so stomach turning, all.
Speaker 4: Right, So there's a lot of to impact there, the whole uh, clearly, And let's not forget this all through COVID, let's not forget this.
Speaker 1: CNN was lying to you about a lot of things. How many of you remember that daring the whole COVID thing, CNN twenty four hours a day on the right hand side of that, I believe it was on the right hand side of the screen a strip they went from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen like a rectangle.
Speaker 2: They had, and a.
Speaker 1: Running total of the world death count and the US death count for months months like it was the US stock market, and constantly updated total because they were trying to scare the Holy but Jesus out of you, right, that's all they were trying to do. Never leave your house, make sure that your two month old gets vaccinated like all that crap, right, Never let your children breathe on anyone whatever like. That's what they were up like. And they were the ones saying, basically, it wasn't a virus out of a laboratory.
Speaker 2: It was out of the wet market from a bat. Let's not forget all this.
Speaker 1: So now you've got two journalists playing buddy buddy, actually more than that, because I'm sure what Blitzer was right in the middle of it, playing ring around the rosie. Right, They're all having like a four way together between Wolf Dana It's not Dana, she spells it d a n a Dana Dana bash between Wolf Dana and Jake, Jake Tapper and Fauci. So when we come back, I'm gonna break everything down for you and the rights and the wrongs of sources. So now that you've heard the audio and everything that went on, I'm going to tell you the good and the bad, the right and the wrong that was taking place. With all that, Welcome back to breaking with Brad Jensen here on this.
Speaker 2: What are we going?
Speaker 1: Monday night, Monday night, beautiful Monday night. By the way, tonight might be a cigar night. I haven't smoked a cigar in about two three weeks Okay, so let's get back to this is this is the important part of the show. Okay, you're about to learn something that you do not know, and I will tell you this. Ninety five percent of the media in Charlotte they don't know this either. Okay, either a because they've never been in these situations or be either so young they don't they haven't experienced this yet. Sources, here's how they work. Obviously not all the time. It's about fifty to fifty. Okay, fifty percent of my info comes from people that I know that trust me. Fifty percent of my info comes from people I don't know, who could be just a listener like you who works at CMS or CMPD or up in Raleigh and would will send me some information. And then when they send me information, I try to verify it through my other long term sources. But if it turns out to be true, then okay, now I'm starting to be able to trust this person. But I've had multiple people reach out to me only because they know I'm on the radio and only because they know I break stories. And nobody knows who my sources are. Not even my bosses know who my sources are. That is a fact. That is a fact. So here's what I've told going back. God, it's amazing now twenty years actually more than not. Nineteen ninety nine was the first time I used this particular statement when I knew there was when there was a coach or a player, because this is when I was doing sports. But I use it to this day, this particular statement. I said the same thing when I was covering Clemson and I would see half the starting offensive line in the quarterback Charlie Whitehurst and all the running backs, like at the Esso Club or at Tigertown tavern, whatever, because Clemson's very small, and they'd see me and they like, oh crap, is Brett gonna write about us or report about us? And here's what I've told police officers, Here's what I've told like administrators, executives, politicians, here's athletes. Here's what I tell everyone. I don't care if you throw somebody through a bar window, don't care. I don't care if you're drinking. There's a chance that I'll even buy you a beer. But if you do throw someone through a window, I will only get involved, basically if they get.
Speaker 2: Hurt or if.
Speaker 1: The police get involved. And if the police get involved, I've got no choice. That's how it works. If the police get involved in something you do, even if I'm with you or happen to be in the same bar, but not with you. Once the police get involved, I'm reporting on it. I do not have a choice. So whatever you do, just don't get the police involved. If you get in a fight. It happens, people get in fights all the time. Don't get the police involved, and don't like knock the guy unconscious that the ambulance has to come, which is hard to tell an offensive lineman or a linebacker.
Speaker 2: So that's rule number one. Don't get the police involved.
Speaker 1: If you are a source of mind, if you're a friend of mine, I don't have a choice.
Speaker 2: At that particular point.
Speaker 1: Once you've gotten the police involved or you've sent somebody to the hospital, now I don't have a choice, and I will report on it. And I tell everyone that and they understand that, so they don't want to go, oh, Brett, man, I can't believe you're reporting on this. Man, I thought we were boys. Dude, you got the police involved, the hell do you want me to do? So that's number one. Number two, you know, with having dinner over at Jake Tapper's house, or texting back and forth with Dana Bash and Wolf Blitzer.
Speaker 2: I will text people.
Speaker 1: That I believe will be involved in a particular situation. We all remember the Oversight Committee hearing on Safety and Charlotte where Game McFadden went to Raleigh and he got in a back and forth that went national about know what branch of government does the sheriff serve under?
Speaker 2: And all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, we all remember that very famous incident back in February.
Speaker 2: I believe it was February. We all remember that.
Speaker 1: Leading up to that particular moment, I texted a couple of members that were on the subcommittee and said, Hey, what can we expect? What are you looking for with this? What angles are you going to take? I spoke to Gary McFadden beforehand. I knew before anyone in Charlotte that he had been subpoened. He called me Christmas Eve, the Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, I believe it was Christmas Eve. It said Brett, I just got subpoena to show up at the House Oversight Committee hearing. So okay, but he told me, look, he gave me the information. But he also told me, Brett, you can't report this. It's like, all right, fine, So I didn't report it. He was offering me the information, but under the condition that I didn't report it, And I will go and tell you this. There's an old saying that reporters only reveal about sixty percent of what we know. A lot of times we can't reveal information because A we weren't given permission by our sources, or B if we did reveal information, it would out our sources and it would be very easy to figure out who was feeding us the information or leaking us the information. Or we were ninety five percent sure that something happened, but we can't one hundred percent guarantee it, like when I bet a lot of money on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would, But can I one hundred percent prove it? No, I can't.
Speaker 1: So even if you're ninety five percent sure it happened, you can't report it. So getting tight with sources. There are a lot of politicians that I know, as a matter of fact, making no secret about it.
Speaker 2: When I was up in DC, what was it.
Speaker 1: A month ago, month, month and a half ago, month, month and a half ago, something like that. When I was up in DC the week before July fourth, so yeah, we're almost a month ago. I was invited. There were twenty people invited to a dinner at the Palm restaurant, twenty people. Six of the twenty were congressmen. Thirty percent of the people in attendance were congressmen. There were twenty people invited, and I was one of the twenty people. Some of the congressmen I'd never met before, I had never spoken to. As a matter of fact, I even had to ask somebody said, what's that dude's name? And these were all congressmen from North Carolina. Now, there were others there that I did know that I have a really good working relationship with. That's the key term working relationship. And they were telling me who some of these There was a state legislator there as well, and some political operatives. People do that all the time in our world. That's what you do. But what you don't want to do is become Diana Russini and you start dating someone in political office or that's a head football coach. All right, you don't do that. You don't date on someone that you're reporting on. That's called a conflict of interests. Clearly, clearly. But you do try and build up trust, and but you always set the parameters. You always set the groundwork. Look, yeah, you invite me over to your house for dinner. Yeah, I'll go. But Jake Tapper and his wife or all of them should have been like, just just so you know, this doesn't.
Speaker 2: Mean X y Z don't screw up and I won't have to report about it.
Speaker 1: If you do something stupid, I'm gonna have to report about it, and I'm gonna i have to ask you about it. And every congressman, every city council member that I've ever interviewed, every state representative, they all know the same thing.
Speaker 2: But you know, what does happen.
Speaker 1: Let's say one of them really really screws up in a major way. Because I've built up a relationship with them, because that's the only way you build sources. Because I've built up a relationship with them, they feel comfortable talking to me about the situation that they screwed up more than they might other media outlets because they trust me. There's never been an interview that I can think of or I've said, Okay, here are my questions when people come in the studio, whether it's the US Attorney Rus Ferguson or CMPD chief Estella Patterson, whomever. They don't know my questions. Nobody knows my questions. And be brutally honest with you. I go into every interview knowing one or two questions that I'm gonna ask, and all the other questions are generally based off of their answers. So, yes, you build up sources. I sincerely doubt any of them is keeping a diary and go. Bret Jensen sent me a text today, yay, like Fauci did with Dana Bash. Yes, you talk to them. You develop a really good working relationship with them. You might even see them for beers or dinners because they're a client life you're a sales rep. You might take your client out for dinner. I've done the same thing. I will take these because I consider them clients. I'll take them out to dinner or beer. I used to send my best female sources every Mother's Day. I send them flowers. Even if they didn't have children, I would send it from their pets. Guys, it would be like cigars or beers or something like that. You keep the working relationship and then if something bad happens, to them. They trust you, and they'll still talk to you about it, but you don't do it at the risk of eliminating information or doing like Diana Ruscini did and dating someone that you're literally covering and reporting on. You can't do that. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: Go back breaking with Brad Jenson here.
Speaker 1: For about three more minutes, almost exactly three more minutes. Well long last break, So that's why we've got a very short break this time around.
Speaker 2: So again, there are there are ways that you devot.
Speaker 1: There is that fine line between getting too chummy with sources and and keeping them ass sources. You've got to be chummy for them to trust you and give you information, and they have to like you. But at the same point, there is that gray line of crossing, and that gray line ultimately will become the you know, the red line that you can't cross. And so not everything is always black and white when it comes to developing sources.
Speaker 2: Now, I can tell you that.
Speaker 1: It would be okay if Jake Tapper had Fauci over to his house when they were feeding the world this perpetual lie, if Jake Tapper didn't try to report things.
Speaker 2: But he does.
Speaker 1: He's not just a talking head, which ninety nine percent of news acres are. They just talk They're just talking heads. They're just they're just reading what someone else wrote. Most of the time. That's what they are, that's what they do. Some write their own stuff. A lot of them have producers and others that write their stuff for them. So if Jake Tapper wasn't trying to be a reporter, or if he did not have to interview Fauci, because the problem is, once you start having someone over to your house all the time for dinner or whatever, and you're introducing them to the whole family, are you going to ask them the same questions.
Speaker 2: I have found it.
Speaker 1: It's easier in my line of work to ask the harder questions a lot of times to people that I have good relationships with, because they know I'm not doing it out of vitriol, anger, hatred, gotcha questions, stuff like that. They know that I'm going to to still do my job and ask difficult questions if I have to ask difficult questions, but I would probably dare say that Jake Tapper and Dana Bash probably never asked Fauci a difficult question or ever asked Fauci a difficult question that he didn't know was coming. They probably told him he was going to ask they were going to ask this question, and so he had his talking points already. People I like people, I don't like people. I work with people I don't work with. None of them know what my questions are going to be. They don't. Every once in a while they'll ask, well, what topics do you want to talk about? Well, I want to talk about the economy and public safety. That doesn't tell you what my questions are. So there's always that fine line. But again, you can be extremely nice to your sources, me sitting them flowers on Mother's Day, taking them out for cigars and beer or bourbon. That's great, as long as they also understand that if and when they ever screw up, you will have to be the first one to report about it. And I promise you that wasn't the situation with those three CNN boobs. All right, boy, Jake Tapper has not done well in the last year and a half. All right, everyone, that's gonna do it for us tonight, TJ and the Bear Richie's coming up next. We're gonna do this all over again tomorrow. My name is Brett Jensen, and you have been listening to Breaking with Brett Jenson