Speaker 1: Hi Oh, let's go hi oh, let's go oh.
Speaker 2: Let's go oh, let's come.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Charlott Smooth Talk one oh seven point nine FM WBT. Brett Jensen here with you on this beautiful Monday night edition of Breaking with Brett Jensen. As we go up until seven o'clock tonight. Telephone numbers as always seven oh four five, seven oh, one oh seven nine. That is also the WBT text line, driven of course by Liberty Buick GMC and guys follow me on ACP Brett Underscore Jensen for all the lennis and breaking news in and around the shoan air and if you would have followed me on X then you would know what's going on with tonight's show because earlier today I had the most extensive, the most in depth, and the longest interview of any media outlet in the city of.
Speaker 2: Charlotte with brand new Mayor Rob Harrington.
Speaker 1: We met earlier today in his office on the fifteenth floor at the Government Center. And I know other media outlets, you know, they did interviews with him last week, but they were on a very very short timeline and they all basically got the interviews basically in the same day we waited a week and we got way more stuff than you could ever imagine. And the mayor, mister Harrington, was extremely generous for this time. And so the entire show tonight will be me and my interview with the brand new mayor, and we're going to cover topics about obviously I seventy seven and crime and still trying to bring business to Charlotte. Is he going to what's his political future look like? You know, would he consider running for reelection for mayor in eighteen months?
Speaker 2: So we've got a lot that we're going to get into.
Speaker 1: And again, this is by far the most in depth, extensive and longest interview that he's done with any media outlet in the city of Charlotte. And he, like I said, he was very very generous with his time today. So with that being said, here is the first part of my interview with brand new Charlotte Mayor Rob Harrington.
Speaker 3: So, Mayor, I asked you in your introductory press conference union you sort of came out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: So tell the people it's a three parter.
Speaker 3: Who is Harrington, the man Harrington, the attorney in Harrington, the mayor.
Speaker 5: All right, remember all of that? So Harrington the man the person. I grew up in South Carolina, grew up in Florence in the Great PD and went off to college, went to Duke for seven years and for college, and then straight.
Speaker 4: Through for law school, where I had.
Speaker 5: A good fortune to meet my wife and I, you know, family, my own family.
Speaker 4: I grew up in. I was the youngest of five. We were I really enjoyed growing up in Florence.
Speaker 5: You know, it was it was large enough, so there were some things to do, but it was you know, pretty small town. We knew each other, We took care of each other. Family was pretty securely working class.
Speaker 4: My father worked for the UH.
Speaker 5: He worked on the railroad as a as a mail clerk for many years.
Speaker 4: And then when he when when the.
Speaker 5: Mail went from the railroad to primarily airplanes, he became a counselor for the South Carolina Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. And I give that background because that sort of positioned us where we were in terms of resources. We are also really fortunate to have, you know, of strong tradition of education and higher education in the family. I was the youngest of five, and so I was able to really kind of leverage what others had done, but the idea of you know, working hard, academically, working hard in general with something like so many people in this community I was, I was born to and I think it very much influences who I am today and the way I as address issues. Harrington the professional, the lawyer.
Speaker 4: I've been a lawyer for.
Speaker 5: Somewhere between thirty five and forty years now, have done throughout that time primarily disputes or you know, litigation, business litigation practice here since here in Charlotte for twenty seven years I think this year just over twenty seven years now, and had practiced elsewhere for a little bit over ten before that, partially in Louisiana and partially in the District of Columbia. And have you know, still loved practicing law. It was one of the things that I considered being at least as far back as high school. And I've I've been really fortunate in my ride as a lawyer and then as mayor.
Speaker 4: You know, I come to this in.
Speaker 5: A unique time because Mayor Lews, my good friend, decided to retire and so counsel went through the process. I know we've been through that process before, but it's still obviously not the dominant process for selecting an elected or appointed mayor, and I looked at it, unfortunately at a time in career when I'm particularly interested in giving back, and Charlotte has been fantastic to my family and to me and folks around us. We've got a son who is in his mid thirties and you know, married, living in Augusta, Georgia, and they've got a couple of little girls. And I look at what this city has offered us in the time that we've been here, and saw this as an opportunity to give back, and you know, consistently said, you know, this is I am who I am. I bring the skill set and the experiences that I have and if that's something that the council, as the group that was selecting, thought would be useful helpful at this point in time, that's what I offer. So I just I feel fortunate, would I would say blessed to be in a situation where I can, you know, take this period of time and do some really intense public service. I guess the other thing I'd add on the public service note is I had not been directly involved in politics before now, but as you know, I've done a bunch of things in the community, from you know, chairing the board of trustees of the library and chairing the Arts.
Speaker 4: And Science Council Board.
Speaker 5: And I've just finished a year term as the president of ofrf Khina Bar Association. So the idea of being in the public and nonprofit public interest sphere is not something that's new, and I think that experience will help me over the eighteen months, and I think it's helped.
Speaker 2: Me so far. All right.
Speaker 1: So when we come back, where as this in depth interview with Mayor Harrington continues, We're going to talk about I seventy seven. We're going to talk about safety. We're going to talk about his political future. What kind of policies does he want to see implemented. Is he just going to be like, Okay, I'm keeping the seat warm for the next eighteen months, or is he actually going to try and get things done without worrying about trying to be re elected or anything else. So there's a lot that we're going to continue to talk about when we return. And if you can't already tell, this is a man who's extremely intelligent. I mean, he is a partner in one of the largest law firms in Charlotte, head of the North count of Bar Association, went to Duke for seven years, you know, obviously undergraduate and then law school. This is a man who is exceptionally bright and you should be able to tell that just by listening to him. So we're going to continue our conversation about what does he try to implement with the City of Charlotte going forward, and we're including I seventy seven safety and his own policies. Welcome back to Breaking with Brett Jensen on this Monday night. As we're going up until seven o'clock, we're continuing my most extensive, most in depth interview with brand new Charlotte Mayor Rob Harrington. And when I say the most extensive and most in depth is because I was given nearly three times as much time with the new mayor as any other media outlet in Charlotte, so which that allowed me to go into a myriad of topics and a lot of different things to talk about. So we're continuing my interview from earlier today with brand new Charlotte mayer Rob Harrington.
Speaker 3: When you thought about getting into this, did someone approach you, whether it's work, someone from your work, a friend, someone from your family or was it all on you where you said I think I'm want to do this. Did someone else plant the idea of you possibly doing this?
Speaker 4: It's primarily me.
Speaker 5: I mean I think there were a number of people, a handful of people in the community that said, gee, is this something that you would consider? Is this something that you'd.
Speaker 4: Want to do.
Speaker 5: I will tell you my first reaction is I'm coming off of a year of practicing law and being president of the Bar Association, and I thought, you know, is this the right timing. But ultimately came down to me feeling, you know, I think I've got something to contribute here, and my family, my wife in particular, being really really supportive of the decision.
Speaker 3: So now you've got eighteen months and if you decide and a half or seventeen and a half, if you decide not to run for reelection. The theory is, the working theory is out there. You can either just basically do what you want without having to worrying about am I popular enough to get re elected, or that you'll just try to just to fit in and just to go along. Those are the two working theories which Rob Harrington. Are we going to get Yeah, I'd.
Speaker 5: Reframe it a little bit, Brett. I mean, I told when I was coming in for the interview, I guess it was the thirty minute interviews. I was checking in security desk downstairs, and one of the gentlemen at the desk, the security.
Speaker 4: Folks started asking questions. He said, are you one of them?
Speaker 5: I said, yes, sir, i am, And he said, basically, just you know, all I would ask is that you do the right thing and do a good job.
Speaker 4: And in many.
Speaker 5: Ways, that capture is the way I've always looked at elected officials and folks who are running for office, is I want to vote for people who have some you know, beliefs, some you know, provide some answers and are willing to lose right and hopefully the person that you selected any given race, if you believe in them, you want them to win. But I think that's an indirect answer to the question. I mean, I'm a I'm not a sort of go along and just sort of ride the way person. And it wouldn't have made sense to do this like that because I've been really fortunate with a good career and with a good network, and so for me, it's you know, we know there are issues coming down the pike, and what can I bring to trying to convene and convene, counsel and have structure and then get to you know, good answers, and so it's it's it's much closer to no. I mean, there's some things that will likely need to be done in the near future, and I want to be a part.
Speaker 4: Of that process.
Speaker 3: Speaking of issues, you're walking into, you know, a hornets nest right now with I seventy seven, it's I believe it's twenty nine houses that would be impacted, So it's not this massive Grand Scots twenty nine houses, and many of those houses are actually owned by companies that rent them out to the people that live there, so many of the people that live there don't even own the house. I know, they're doing revoting and they're doing you know, towns are starting to flip again because they don't want to be on the foot for that bill. Now that you've had time to like really get into knee deep and really be briefed on everything from beginning to end, where do you stand on this? Because I know, you know Mary Lyles was you know, she really wanted to like to be involved with this and all that. So where do you.
Speaker 4: Stand on this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so let me give you, I guess my punchline, and then I want to step back and reframe it a little bit. So you know, what I've said repeatedly and remains the case for me, is I want to you know, I think we're getting our arms around what's in the state's budget bill as far as timeline, and I want to have a process for community engagement and for council engagement that fits.
Speaker 4: The timeline so we don't look back.
Speaker 5: Two years from now, three years from now and say, well, gee, you know, I either didn't know this information, didn't have whatever information it is about the project from a trusted source, or didn't really know the timeline.
Speaker 4: And the implications of timeline.
Speaker 5: So that's my you know, at this point, my ultimate goal is to make sure that you've got an informed process, an accessible process, and have council you know, as the decision makers for the city and then you know, ultimately the regional Planning CARPO.
Speaker 4: But have council make a.
Speaker 5: Reasoned decision whether to do anything further, and if to do something further, you know what to do. But I'd step back and reframe a little bit, because yes, there are you know, approximately thirty houses that stand to be displaced, but there's also a community on all sides, on all sides of the issue, and literally on all sides of the you know, the route that will be affected by whatever happens with the highway, and as you know, many in that community will tell you have been affected for the last I'm a history and religion major, so I'll be bad with numbers, but for the last you know, fifty years. By what I seventy seven has done, it's clearly a vital artery. It's incredibly important to the city and to the region, but it's also important in what the impact on the community and the sort of division of the community, the bisecting the community. And I think we can't address the future of I seventy seven without acknowledging and addressing those those concerns. So there's the immediate thirty houses, but there are other issues around it that just have to address be addressed with people feeling like they're at the table. And obviously, you know, given the timeline, you know, we need to be prompt in having those discussions.
Speaker 4: Does the possible or as.
Speaker 3: Of now the likely having to pay back and the fact that Charlotte has forty one I think forty one percent of the vote with the carpo, but with so many other towns voting in favor of this, now your percentage would increase of what you would have to pay back. Does that play in a pack or does that have an impact on what you guys do or how you guys approach this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't want to.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think there are a lot of pieces built into what you said about you know, the percentages.
Speaker 4: And how that works together.
Speaker 5: I would zoom out without you know, sort of committing to a particular understanding of the formula or interpretation of the formula, but zoom out and say it creates at the very least a timeline, right. And it's it's as I've always said, you know, going into any professional project as a lawyer, you know you have all these factors around you, and there's the factor of the potential for payback. Does the factor of the timeline? I mean, what does seem clear from the statute is that there's a timeline that started when the governor signed the bill for ninety days for the if you want to call it safe harbor, and so that gives you a timeline to consider and then ultimately, with input from the community, you know, I think the council and then you know Carpo as a as a full body have to make a decision given all of those factors, what to do.
Speaker 1: All right, let me concern what does his political future look like and what kind of policies does he want to enact. Welcome back to Breaking with Brett Jensen here on this Monday night, continuing my really truly in depth and extensive interview with Brandy Charlotte Mayer Harrington. More information here than you will get from any other media outlet because we were basically given three times the amount of time. So now we continue my interview with the mayor.
Speaker 3: So you walked into the ice seventy seven situation, But is there any situations or policies that you want to bring on your own and talk to city council about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know one that I talked about a good bit during the.
Speaker 5: During our thirty thirty day or twenty one day campaign if you want to call it that, but is more broadly I'll say affordability. I mean you can translate that to certainly include affordable housing. But Charlotte's been incredibly fortunate in its growth. You know, we've got whatever the number is of folks who are coming here each day, you know, fastest growing city r size in the country. That's part of who we are, and we're you know, we're really fortunate. So we've got people and capital, you know, coming here.
Speaker 4: We're a magnet.
Speaker 5: How you balance that with folks who've been here for generations and have been so much a part of building this community, and how we do what we can by you know, policy and community action to make sure that the community feels as though it's sharing in this prosperity. Realizing that you can't stay still. There's no way cities or any other organization, but cities.
Speaker 4: Can't be stagnant. We're going to grow.
Speaker 5: And how do you provide spaces that Charlotte teans who've been here for ten twenty fifty families here for one hundred years, how they're participating and benefiting from that growth? One of them.
Speaker 4: I'd add one other piece, and I think.
Speaker 5: Looking for you know, looking, I think particularly about youth. I mean, one of the things that's been a huge benefit to my family.
Speaker 4: My son came here. We came here when my son was going.
Speaker 5: Into third grade and making sure that you know, we're doing all that we can for families and particularly for youth to benefit from.
Speaker 4: The know the good fortuite in the city.
Speaker 3: Some of the policies that were discussing here, and you just mentioned that youth and crime, and they will tell you for the last two or three years, like the youth in crime has been rampant, and that's been the biggest problem with CMPT every press conference because crime and youth, youth and crime, that's what.
Speaker 4: They like harp on a lot.
Speaker 3: Do you see a way where you can help CMPD to possibly offset that, whether it's either hiring more officers or programs like you were talking about through the city and like trying to get things with the youth like you what do you see with that and trying to help out with the youth and lower youth crime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, I mean, I think public safety another priority for anyone to sit in the seat, folks. Folks have to not just be safe. And if you look at the the numbers year over year, you know the numbers are are positive in the sense they're they're good trend. People also have to feel safe, and people have to feel safe across the community. It's not just in pockets or certain voices. You know, all of us, all folks in Charlotte's and visitors to Charlotte need to need to feel safe. You know, I look back at the budget that for next year, this year now that that I've inherited, that.
Speaker 4: Had already been worked through.
Speaker 5: You pleased to see that their increases in pay for first responders, for police officers, for firefighters. I think one of the other pieces for us is a community and this is you know, collaboration, because a key for us at this hi collaboration between you know, city, county, faith, community, nonprofits, others is how we continue to build outlets, you know, positive outlets for youth in the community from you know, I know the county has worked on you know, I'll miss the name, but you know they've worked on organized summer activities. If we can be a part of stitching together all of those pieces, you know, it's government, faith, communities, you know, nonprofit organizations, neighborhood groups to create you know, to to create and sustain a larger infrastructure for youth and put an emphasis on on doing that.
Speaker 3: Do you have a set schedule where you and Chief of Stella Patterson, where you talk like every Monday at nine am or every two weeks, or do you guys just have a thing where you guys to get together as set schedule you guys talk.
Speaker 4: If it's once a week, every other week, whatever it.
Speaker 2: Is, it's dire early.
Speaker 5: Yet you know the answer to that question is no, although we've probably talked. I mean I've been here now two weeks almost two so a week and a half, and we've talked multiple times during during that time. I have made it a priority to be in the building and accessible, you know, for this eighteen month period. I want to be available to the community and particularly available to the folks who work here, including the police chief in the council. And so I'm certainly accessible. And I think one thing we may want to explore is whether they're periodic meetings. But I think you take away some of the need for that if you're just here and available, and Chief Patterson knows she can reach out to me at any time, and I know the opposite is true.
Speaker 3: To One of the things that I think Mary Laws will go down for with her legacy is being extremely pro business and very instrumental in bringing so many headquarters to Charlotte during her tenure, fortune fifty companies, not just five hundred, but fortune fifties. And you know with Honeywell and what I So, do you see yourself also being that way pro business and trying to help headquarters come here like because again eighteen months, but do you see yourself A lot can happen in eighteen months.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I'm partly by training.
Speaker 4: I am like label averse.
Speaker 5: That said, Charlotte's been incredibly lucky, really fortunate in all of my life, certainly in the last few years in being a place that businesses want to come locate. And there's so many reasons, you know, businesses want to come here. I mean, it's a it's a it's a good environment I think for business itself. But we've got an incredible community that I think folks find contagious.
Speaker 4: They want to be here. You know, We've got you know, well trained community for.
Speaker 5: So many different types of jobs and particularly high paying jobs, and we need to continue to work on that. So no question, you know, I plan to continue to work closely with the Alliance and with others to make sure that the environment for businesses relocating locating here is positive. I think we also, you know, at the same time, need to be working really hard to support small businesses, those who want to come here and certainly those who are already in the community, and doing everything we can to provide, provide information, provide opportunities for small businesses and entrepreneurs in Charlotte to thrive. And I don't know that's a balance, but I think it's those are two things, both of which we need to do while at the same time making sure that the workforce is prepared to take on those new opportunities.
Speaker 1: All right, So when we return, we'll continue my conversation. Well, in our conversation, I should say, with Mayor Rob Harrington, and what.
Speaker 2: Does his political future look like?
Speaker 1: B I have to break in with Brett Jensen, So what's the political future of Rob Harrington looks like?
Speaker 2: That's what we're going to discuss right now.
Speaker 4: So a couple more questions. One is, and I know you're only a week and a half, two weeks on the job.
Speaker 3: I get it, and I know I probably already know what your answer is going to be. But let's just say a lot of people in the business community and other people here in Charlotte and the voters, and a lot of people say, hey, you didn't actually have to sign a paper saying you wouldn't run for reelection.
Speaker 4: Legally you're allowed to. So would you consider it?
Speaker 3: If there was a push and people are saying, hey, we really like what you're doing, we like you, we still think you're the best person for the job, would you still would you consider running for reelection?
Speaker 5: No. I mean, I've said eighteen months, and I think trust is one of the primary.
Speaker 4: Resources that we have.
Speaker 5: It's the building block for relationships not just with the community but with council. And what I said from the beginning is that I'm here. I don't know if bridge is the right word, because I think there you've pointed out two or three other things.
Speaker 4: There's a lot that needs.
Speaker 5: That will have to get accomplished in the next eighteen months. But I'm here for eighteen months. And you know, that's for all of us who were in that the five of us who were in the last part of that process. And I guess, I guess the whole group of one hundred and twenty or however many actually you know filled out the applicate the application.
Speaker 4: You know, we're we're in for eighteen months, and I think it's important that we that we stick to that.
Speaker 3: All right, I live there's there's an extra coach when I'm throwing there off of that.
Speaker 2: The okay, so maybe not mayor.
Speaker 3: But now that you've dipped your toe into the political world and you've been you know, the head of the North count of Bar Association, would state legislature or state Senate or even congressman, if my albums decides to retire soon, would that be something that you'd even be potentially looking to.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about going fishing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Look, I think it's particularly.
Speaker 5: For someone who I've been around politics, but I haven't been in politics. It's awfully early to say, you know anything about sort of the future beyond beyond this particular office and this timing in the city of Charlotte. The one thing that's clear, and this is true for the rest of my career as a lawyer, and you know, good health allowing after that that.
Speaker 4: You know, for me and for my family.
Speaker 5: You know, my wife Sharon and I have both been involved in a whole lot of things in this community who've been very fortunate. We will both I shouldn't speak for Sharon, that's here and face of Sharon. I will I will always be looking for opportunities to contribute in this community, and we'll see what the you know, you know what those opportunities are. But but you know, this community, like any community, needs, you know, folks to be involved, be engaged, and.
Speaker 4: Frankly, be willing to step forward and.
Speaker 5: Do some of the jobs that that are always always the easy jobs to do. But there we're better people for having having tried, and the community is better when when a lot of us step up and give it a shot. So, you know, we'll see what the future brings, but it'll it'll definitely involve some type of public involvement and engagement.
Speaker 3: So I always end every interview this way, whether it's an athlete, politician.
Speaker 4: Or just a man in the street.
Speaker 3: Is there anything that you'd like to discuss that I didn't ask you about? Anything that you say, you know what I really would like to talk about this. Is there anything that I didn't ask you that you'd like to discuss? No, I think I think we've covered it. I mean what I've what I've said probably in.
Speaker 5: Each interview and in many conversations is I think we need to be relentlessly forward looking, you know, I think we.
Speaker 4: We have real reason for optimism in this community. I hope we'd never forget that it's.
Speaker 5: A growing community with an incredible group of residents and residents from all around the city, from from every neighborhood, west and east and north and south. We've got so much to be grateful for here. And so two things that I've said a lot is one, let's be informed by the.
Speaker 4: Past, but let's be relentlessly you know, forward looking.
Speaker 5: And also, let's as we make the tough decisions, let's give each other a little bit of grace. Right because there's some tough decisions. There are decisions that not everybody's going to agree on on any of these decisions. But let's work with the assumption that there are a lot of good people who want to have input into a lot of decisions. And even when we disagree, and even when we have days when we disagree, let's give each other a little bit of grace.
Speaker 4: Will be better off.
Speaker 3: For anything, you'd like to say to the listeners, to the people of.
Speaker 5: Charlotte, grateful for the opportunity look forward to you know, continuing to be a part of the leadership of the city for this this period and I am I intend to be accessible.
Speaker 4: Mary Harrington, thank you for your time tonight. Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, that's going to do it for us tonight. TJ. Richie is coming up next. You've been listening to Breaking with Brett Jensen.