Speaker 1: The frames per second podcast.
Speaker 2: What's going on it's your boy nick i am here with i am spike lua the on deck tv show and another week in the books how you doing sir what up though kenneth bianch hola and the other half of the dead end super producer group um well one third the other the two thirds. I'm, I'm doing math at past eight o'clock or whatever, seven o'clock.
Speaker 3: So it's a bad time for me. Either way.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to say we got Jalen, uh, joining us once again.
Speaker 4: How you doing, man? I'm good, brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 2: Uh, glad to have y'all here. You're tuned into the frames for second podcast. And in this episode, we are continuing on with our weekly recaps. Uh, I gotta ask you, Ken, is it a hit?
Speaker 3: I don't know yet.
Speaker 4: I don't know yet.
Speaker 1: Um, I've seen a lot of conversation, but I haven't really checked to see what the response has been yet.
Speaker 4: I'm going to look after this episode, though.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The pending hit new HBO original series coming from the DC universe. I got to clean up some stuff because we got some well actuallys on some of the posts that I saw for my last episode. But yes, we are continuing on with our weekly recaps with the first season of Lantern starring Aaron Pierre and Kyle Chandler. uh, with this recap being dedicated episode two called trust falls or trust fall. Um, so as I was saying, the, the will actually is that we got was, this is not a part of the DCEU. Like I said, I think in episode one, um, that was the Snyder universe. This is just the DCU, the DC universe. And, um, they also said that we called the, um, I don't know what she is, but, um, The sexy grandma on this show, they said we called her white.
Speaker 3: I saw that. She's not white.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's the only thing that I see us clearing up. Outside of that, we were pretty good.
Speaker 3: We were pretty good.
Speaker 2: Lou, I want to start with you with overall thoughts because you weren't on our first recap with us.
Speaker 3: And you're also not really.
Speaker 2: I mean, we already know historically if you've been following this program, you know that Lou is not a comic book fan at all. Um, so I'm curious to know how you got introduced to this and what did you think of the first episode and what do you think of this one?
Speaker 3: Uh, introduction.
Speaker 5: Jalen was telling me, he sent me the thing that, uh, said they took the script from true detective and I didn't plan on watching it until I saw that. And I figured that would interest me since I had this true detective script. I also like Kyle Chandler. Kyle Chandler is one of those. We did a list before people laughed at me. I said, If he on there, I'm tuning into it because his track record is impeccable, Nick.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: You ain't got to explain it to me.
Speaker 5: You got to talk to them. Yeah, I fucks with Kyle Chandler. So that was another reason. And again, just reviewing with y'all. So those are the main ones.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: What were your thoughts on the first episode? First episode was good. I liked it. I liked that it.
Speaker 5: I wasn't beating the death with lure, like just a fair introduction into it. I definitely picked up on the True Detective vibe stuff that Jalen had pointed out in that article.
Speaker 3: So yeah, a diverse episode definitely worked.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: And what about this second one?
Speaker 5: This one was more, I felt like I was missing something on some lure shit when he was talking about the people that need to be captured and all this different shit, the comic book shit they started doing.
Speaker 3: I felt like I was missing something. I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: No, not really.
Speaker 3: I mean, we don't know where the hell they're going with it, honestly. But what is that bird thing? We don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, as we go through the review, we'll parse through what is known and what is unknown, but it's a lot that's unknown, to be honest. But, Jay, what were your thoughts on this second episode?
Speaker 3: You on mute. I think we're good, man. I think we're in a good spot. I feel that we are.
Speaker 6: Pacing the show very similar to, like Spike said, True Detective. So as far as us not getting all the pieces, I'm.
Speaker 4: Fine with that.
Speaker 6: That's why it is interesting for you to say you feel like you're missing things. But I guess because of your history with comic book shows and films, you're like, there's something missing. But really, it's just the pacing of the show. Because they're explaining stuff to us, too. But we think of lore, they're breaking that down and being like, that's not the exact way things are being. So yeah, don't think about it too much. Just think of it as true detective. But yeah, we definitely are cruise control, and I'm here for it. They haven't Just two episodes in, but they haven't dropped the ball either way. And the trailer for next week even got me more excited, so maybe that's what I'm leaning on to.
Speaker 2: I didn't really want to watch it because I like going in blind, so I saw little bits of it, but I'm just going in blind.
Speaker 3: What about you, Ken? What was your overall thoughts?
Speaker 4: I love this episode.
Speaker 1: We did get a little bit more superhero shit. just a little bit, though. Not enough, I think, to take people out, but I do understand what Spike was thinking about when he was watching it, so I do understand that, but nah. I think with this one, Spike, for me, when I'm watching, we're kind of on the same page, because I've read issues of Green Lantern here and there, but I didn't follow the series, so there are a lot of things that that I'm unfamiliar with. So I'm very much kind of in the blind with some aspects of it as well.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I really enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 1: I think they took it up just a little bit and they gave us just enough action and they moved the story forward in a really meaningful way. And I agree with Jalen. I think the pacing, you know, second episode in is really good. They could have spent a lot of time just doing unnecessary bullshit. But I felt like most of the scenes that we got really did matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a fan of the show. I'm a fan of the show.
Speaker 2: It starts off with, there's multiple things I want to kind of get to before we dive in, but first and foremost, Kyle Chandler needs his flowers, Lou. I promise you, I promise you, people think we gassing him up, but I'm trying to tell you, bro, like, he, I don't know why he hasn't been a big movie star or whatever, but He can, the biggest movie I think he's been in was Wolf of Wall Street when he was playing the detective.
Speaker 3: But, um, he dominated though. Yeah. I mean, but that was like TV. That was like 15 years ago with Friday night. Like that was a long time ago.
Speaker 2: So if you weren't around at that time, like the stuff that he has been doing since then hasn't got that much attention, but either way, I'm glad he's on this show. He's doing it justice. Ken and Jay, they know I always have these conversations about who's next up. I think this show is indicating that they're trying to make Aaron Pierre one.
Speaker 4: Of them ones.
Speaker 3: He's not bad.
Speaker 2: He's not bad at all. He's a great Jon Stewart so far. But we'll see where he goes from here because he doesn't have... He got some stuff that he's done that you could put on his resume, like with The Lion King and with Rebel Ridge, but... I'm trying to see where this show is, like, where his career is at after this. Is he possibly the next Denzel that they're trying to cue up?
Speaker 3: Why are you keeping... I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: Black.
Speaker 3: What is he doing? Don't do that.
Speaker 4: I will say this.
Speaker 5: I'm glad they put him in this because that Ridge movie had me thinking he was terrible.
Speaker 3: But he's actually good in this. Yeah, I've seen him in... He was in, what's the show we watch on Happo? Don't say Morning Show. Yeah, he was on that. He sure was in Morning Show. He was a movie. He was, but he wasn't.
Speaker 2: But he gets treated like a concubine, like a glorified concubine in most of the shows because you know the ladies like him. But that's what I'm saying. What else is there besides that is what I'm trying to say. It was being a new Star Wars movie.
Speaker 6: And he's supposed to come back as Jon Stewart in the Superman movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the superhero stuff he got.
Speaker 2: Uh, down pat, especially when you, you know, once you sign up for one of these, you're going to be in like five of them. But like outside of that, like what else fanfare is he bringing like attention to? That's what I'm curious about moving forward with him based off this TV show. Um, but getting it, but overall, I love, I love this series so far. I'm actually fine with not, like you said, Jalen, not knowing anything and letting it be week to week. You know, like I don't want to really research too much because, again, I read the comics. I'm not especially if there is a comic arc with this story, I'm not familiar with it at all.
Speaker 3: So I'm fine with just going in blind.
Speaker 2: But I'm liking everything that I see so far, especially with how they followed up with the first episode.
Speaker 3: Any other thoughts before we dive in?
Speaker 2: OK, we start off this episode with Hal Jordan waking up Jon Stewart with a.
Speaker 3: Ice bucket challenge, cold water, wake up call.
Speaker 2: And they learn, you know, following up from the first episode where John was like, you didn't teach me how to fly yet. Now we're doing impromptu. flight training. Ken, what did you think about how we started off this episode with this flight training?
Speaker 1: I probably laughed way too hard at that then I should have. Him trying to fly and the way he looked up and his face and everything. I mean, I don't know why I But that shit was funny to me.
Speaker 4: Because I knew it wasn't going to work. You know, and.
Speaker 1: But I also, in the back of my mind, it was a small percentage of like, okay, well, maybe it would work. But I thought it was interesting that he conjured up a bird that can fly. So his mouth was in the right place, but the rest of him wasn't. So I thought that that was funny. But there's still some reluctance with him to.
Speaker 4: Teach him anything.
Speaker 1: So, but yet Jon Stewart is able to do things that catches him off guard and impresses him. So he challenges him to push himself further, well, push himself more than he probably would have normally by having him keep that bird alive for 48 hours. So it's like he sees something in him, but He ain't really trying to fuck with him too much.
Speaker 4: But no, I liked it.
Speaker 1: I think it was a good way to kind of start the show back up with a little comedy.
Speaker 3: What about you, Lou? Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 5: I like Ken, enjoyed seeing him putting all his effort in trying to flatten it down where that shit wasn't going to work. Yeah, I thought this was good. And I like how the two characters are playing off each other. How he keep fucking with him with the sir stuff. And then, like, he also was fucking with him with different things.
Speaker 3: So I liked the dynamic.
Speaker 2: Jay, you're familiar with Lantern lore at least a little bit, right?
Speaker 1: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 2: Were you impressed by him being able to, like, because the bird plays a big focal, it's a big focal point in this episode.
Speaker 3: Were you impressed by that at all?
Speaker 2: Did that mean anything to you, that he was able to conjure up something that, lasted longer than him not even having the ring and the ring on low battery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I mean, like the ring is tied to like willpower.
Speaker 6: And so based off what I know from Lord and with it being at like a lower percentage that takes even more willpower and we haven't seen him really use the ring outside of him creating a bubble to save himself. So to have him create, like creatively make a construct was impressive to see.
Speaker 3: But I'm pretty sure you better get into it.
Speaker 6: I was wondering how the shit was still around when he was.
Speaker 3: Not playing anymore.
Speaker 6: I was like, that shit bothered me the whole, I'm not going to lie, it bothered me the whole episode.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how?
Speaker 6: And I mean, even though I didn't know Hal, and I know that Hal basically said that if you break concentration, it'll go away. So I know that's what the theme was throughout the episode. But I was like, how is this shit still around if he ain't got the ring? It just kept bothering me.
Speaker 1: Like, how?
Speaker 3: It wasn't even just that.
Speaker 2: Because this goes to a point that I'm about to bring up that, Lou, you brought up, like, I feel like I'm missing stuff.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's, like. So with us, for those who read the comics, Jay's right.
Speaker 2: I've never seen a lantern not only wear somebody else's ring and conjure up something, but to have it, like, to give the ring back and then still have that projection there That's not in anything I've read. So me and you on the same page, Lou, as far as what the hell is going on, how is this happening?
Speaker 3: But the impressive part.
Speaker 2: From what we got in this episode, and again, we'll dive more into it later, is the fact that, to your point, Jay, his concentration was that he's keeping it subconsciously active.
Speaker 3: Even when he knocked out. Because he got knocked out about two, three times in this episode.
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking it's going to go away because he's unconscious, but the fact that his subconscious.
Speaker 3: Is still working.
Speaker 2: means that he's one of the most powerful dancers in the universe. He's a chosen one, Louis, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 6: Nick, after getting his ass beat, getting knocked out twice... getting his ass beat and all that and the bird didn't go away. When he's in the bar, though, I was like, oh, they about to show this is weakness.
Speaker 2: I thought for sure that bird was done for, boy.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, listen.
Speaker 2: We gonna get to that because I still have questions because can they doing us dirty when it comes to love interest for our A-listers? We gonna get into that. But yeah, so since John Can't Fly, which I was kind of.
Speaker 3: Surprised he couldn't based.
Speaker 2: On all the stuff that he knows and he's able to do but it's kind of like what they say is like reading about a car is different than driving a car so it's like i think that's what they're trying to say like because how is like bro i'm a pilot flying is second nature to me for you it's just different you're a military guy so since uh john can't fly how gives him a plane ticket to head back to his crib so he can get his lantern to recharge his ring because it's on low battery life what we learned in the first episode during that interrogation scene Lou, this reminds me of some shit the hood niggas do.
Speaker 3: We run it low on gas. We send somebody else out to go get the gas. Take the car, go get the gas.
Speaker 2: And then when he banged the ring on the car, just say, that's how you juice it up for a little bit.
Speaker 3: You need to read it a little bit. Like get the batteries together. Exactly.
Speaker 2: Put the batteries in the freezer. This hit home for me because I just upgraded my iPhone. I was dealing with an iPhone XS. for the last yeah since it came out.
Speaker 3: I had to i got it i got a 17 now but.
Speaker 6: I'm disappointed in you upgrading before the new one came out that's 17 price about to go.
Speaker 2: Down well i had to come for my well the reason why i was jay because it was like i'm doing like to charge my phone. Cause it doesn't charge when you just put the phone on the charger. Like I got to do like a goddamn, I got to do like an animal.
Speaker 3: And no one can touch it. Don't breathe on it. Don't do nothing. Cause it's going to lose it. I'm doing balloon animals just to get this thing charged up. So I was like, bro, I can't do this. I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I got too much going on. I'm about to be moving and all that. I was like, nah, let me just go ahead. Cause that's what they told me at the store. They was like, if you wait, it's going to drop a hundred dollars when the 18 or whatever. I'm like, I don't care about that. This 17 is going to last me another 10 years. So, I'll wait until the 20th.
Speaker 3: They ain't built like that no more. I mean, Nick, you can say that all you want. They ain't built like that.
Speaker 2: They just sunset the X in 2020, this year.
Speaker 6: That ain't what we talking about. These new ones, the battered bread, just continue, dog.
Speaker 2: I still got my old one, though, nonetheless. But either way, Hal sends John on a random mission to go get his lantern. Which in the lure loo, this is somewhat common. The lantern ain't never close to the ring.
Speaker 3: They treat the.
Speaker 2: Lantern like it's a spare tire, essentially.
Speaker 3: You need it when you need it, but you ain't really trying to lug it around.
Speaker 6: Nah they should end down cause a spare tire stay in the car them niggas treat like a bluetooth speaker but yeah so Lou so far cause I again I wanna get your thoughts on this series especially with the character that you with the actor of the character that you really like what do you think of Hal Jordan so far in this series like what do you think about his character as a mentor specifically.
Speaker 3: As a mentor he trash.
Speaker 5: But I think he doing it on purpose I don't know if it's like how his character is written somewhere else, but essentially you can pick up that he's trying to let him fall on his face and learn that way versus being a micromanager and making him do everything. So I like how that plays into the dynamic of each other. He's kind of like a smartass. And then my guy, he being a smartass back to him. So it adds a, not even a comedic element, but just a sharp, a sharpness to it that I think works for the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Um, before we go check in on John's side mission, uh, we see how go back to the high school football field where all the murderers took place in episode one. And he's still investigating what's going on. He's, he's looking at the grass, the blood on the field. He's looking at everything, the metal detectors. Um, but as he's going into town or around town, he notices that ain't no one really outside. And that may be due because there was an explosion just a few days earlier. But he notices that all these people are at this town hall meeting. He busts in and tries to see what's going on. Jay, what did you take away from the town hall meeting that Hal interrupted?
Speaker 3: This nigga just don't give a fuck. He really don't give a fuck.
Speaker 6: But there's an arrogance to him, a confidence that he has about the work that he's doing.
Speaker 3: I still don't know if that's a positive or negative yet.
Speaker 6: He hasn't really been proven wrong in most of the things that he's been doing, so it seems like it's a positive. But for some reason, the show is giving me this feel that it's going to come back to bite him in the ass. But so far, the arrogance that he has is showing how seasoned he is, how much he is attached to the position, and even more reasons on why he really doesn't want John around. I don't think he wants John around because John being around is just a reminder of, I.
Speaker 3: Have to give this up eventually, and I don't really want to give this shit up.
Speaker 6: But overall, everything they're giving us and showing us is that he knows what the fuck he's doing.
Speaker 3: It's just he's older.
Speaker 6: I thought he was going to hurt something when his ass died.
Speaker 4: On his ass.
Speaker 6: I thought his name was going to show him being hurt for the rest of the episode. He got hurt another way, but I fuck with this scene as far as him going into the meeting.
Speaker 3: Ken, what was your thoughts on the town hall meeting?
Speaker 4: I don't know if they were necessarily... talking.
Speaker 1: About him, but I do think they were, but in what way, I'm not exactly sure. There's something fishy about that town and reflecting back and the scenes that come, you know, something doesn't seem right. You know, they were definitely concerned, but I think the other thing that really caught my attention was the lawyer. the attorney that came there and sat beside him. And really, it sounds like they're just trying to get him the hell away from there. And that's why he was like, look, you're free to go. And what, you're going to leave, what, tomorrow? You know, tonight? Like, when are you going to bounce? Like, you have no charges. Everything's white, clean. You don't even owe me any money. We just need you to leave because you're interrupting this town And we need to get back to a sense of, of normalcy.
Speaker 4: So, um, so that, that's, that's kind of what I took from that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For me, I first can, cause now I'm like, cause once you introduce the idea of aliens and their quote unquote invasion, especially from how the first episode ended, it's like, all right, it's the whole town aliens is what you think. Cause like when he first was approaching, it sounded like they were talking in a different language. Um, And then until he busted in and everybody was like, OK, we got to talk regular now. But at the same time, it could just be like muffled, you know, our perspective of just hearing muffled voices.
Speaker 3: But but I do feel like.
Speaker 2: There is a weird reason for why they wanted him there in one place or like at one point in time.
Speaker 3: And now they just want him gone. So, and I like how he understands that too. And he's like, you know what?
Speaker 2: I'm going to be an asshole and I'm going to just stick around anyway, just to see what y'all got going on. It's kind of like how I feel like a parent when they know their kid is up to something, but the kid is like trying to get them out. You know, you know, sometimes a kid, you know, this, they're trying to get you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, hold on, let me just see what you up to. Cause I don't trust why you, why you want me to leave the room? Why you want me to leave the house? Why you want me to go to work on time? What you got going on? So I found that interesting. But Lou, A little bit after that, we see Hal working the case, not necessarily as a lantern, but just as a cop, as a B cop. What did you think about how he discovered how the aliens were detected by the metal detectors?
Speaker 3: It was clever.
Speaker 5: Like you said, Jalen said earlier, the pacing is really good. So him walking through the metal detectors and us thinking they're metal detectors, then they're not going off.
Speaker 3: Okay, then what they detect him.
Speaker 5: I still didn't put together it was aliens until they said something about it. I didn't know what it was. But, again, they pieced it together well. They didn't leave you hanging too long, but it was just suspenseful enough.
Speaker 3: You're like, what he got going on? And in his method, too, of how he's doing it.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm going to get the bodies and just doing it as unconventional as he was doing it. And he didn't have to dog my man's rental car like that either. Even when he turned into the school. Even when he turned into the school, he was on three wheels in that man's rental car. He dogged his rental, bro.
Speaker 2: He drove that rental into the middle of the street and just stopped.
Speaker 3: He just parked it.
Speaker 5: He dogged his dude real, bro.
Speaker 3: Make sure you go look at the insurance policy. Make sure you look at the insurance policy. Listen, listen.
Speaker 2: As someone who's had a lot of rental cars in his past, present, and future. This is like a nightmare for me. Especially with later on with.
Speaker 3: John inspecting the rental and all that.
Speaker 2: He was hot. He was hot. But Ken, to the show's credit, because sometimes I wonder, I'm like, bro, these are intergalactic powerful beings. Again, in terms of House of the Dragon, the ring is like a dragon. You can kind of do anything with it essentially or like wield a godlike power amongst you know humans but they this show is great at explaining why he can't use the ring or why he doesn't use the ring i think in the first episode he said like it's a if and when kind of situation you don't want to get too loose with it but in this one it's like the ring's battery life is low i can't even fly so i have to manually do all these things that i probably could just do with the ring so i like the fact that like the show in a way that's very logical to kind of get you to be like, why is this man.
Speaker 3: Dragging these dead bodies around? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: And again, Lou, that goes to the lore of like, yes, he could do a bunch of different things, but this show is trying to keep it as grounded as possible in a practical way.
Speaker 5: So the ring give him power to do damn near anything.
Speaker 2: It's based off your thought, yeah. It's your willpower and whatever you can think of. So the concentration is the willpower. The imagination is based off of, you know, you can create whatever goofy thing you want to or dangerous thing. But again, it works like an iPhone. It's like you got to be charged. Otherwise, you can't do nothing.
Speaker 3: And they're more than one of these, right? Like it's different ones that he's on different planets. It's like police. It's like cops.
Speaker 2: There's a cop everywhere in every state, every city. There's Green Lanterns on every planet in every universe. At least the ones that we are aware of.
Speaker 6: If you would love to have more content from Frames Per Second, become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon.com Frames Per Second, where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon.com forward slash frames per second.
Speaker 2: Well, as we get into it, while politely being asked to leave town by the Macon family from the town hall meeting, we see Hal get a call from John as he has to leave the town hall to take the call because John arrived at his crib and he's at his house wondering where the key's at. Jalen, what did you think of this submission of John's? and what was going on at Hal's house and all the things he found out.
Speaker 6: Well I mean it did say a lot about about how as far as like him not having no furniture anything in there um cause I was wondering too I was.
Speaker 3: Like how the fuck this nigga got a house like this.
Speaker 6: That was what I was thinking to myself too when John asked that question I was like I seen what kind of car this nigga pulled up in in the first episode but it's the kind of house he got something ain't right something ain't right so Yeah, but this dummy mission, bro, I would have been frustrated. John better than me, dog. I would have been that totalist white man, man. Fuck off, nigga. I would have took that damn ring off his finger. Especially when I know that it's dying. I'm just going to wait until it dies. I'm going to beat your ass and take the ring, nigga. You can't do shit with it. That shit die, nigga, you mine.
Speaker 3: You can't, bro. You know the little guardians are going to say something about that.
Speaker 4: I don't care, man. Fuck all that.
Speaker 6: They told me I'm supposed to have it and you over here bullshitting and sending me on some mission to fuck with these, this fake ass plant.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the hell going on. But the overall scene was just revealing more about how.
Speaker 6: I feel like we're learning a lot more about how than John at this point, which is fine. It's not like a bad thing at all. because Jon Stewart is just showing that he's a good soldier. That's all that we're getting from him. We're not really getting too much of his development of why he is the way he is, why he potentially can be as strong as he is.
Speaker 3: But they are giving us a lot about how without.
Speaker 6: Throwing it in our face and having to do flashbacks to understand who he is.
Speaker 4: As a person.
Speaker 6: But it just shows how lonely of a person he is to have that big of a house and have nothing in it. And the reasoning behind getting it is just.
Speaker 3: It also shows a little bit of a. Not the kindness, but the respect for people he has.
Speaker 6: Because, like, I told him to buy me a house so he wouldn't feel, like, demasculated because I saved his son.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Like, man, I would have been like, all right, nigga. Especially if I'm not going to use the house. All right, nigga, deal with your feelings, bro.
Speaker 4: Fuck that.
Speaker 3: I don't need you to.
Speaker 6: I ain't make you feel no better because I saved your son. I saved your son, nigga, and that was it. But, yeah, those are my thoughts.
Speaker 2: You ain't never been off of the mansion, though. This ain't no townhome in Latonia.
Speaker 3: No, he didn't say he was off. He didn't say he was off.
Speaker 6: He said he let him buy it. It's like he did it just to make him feel better. You know what I'm saying? And I get what you're saying. It'd be different. I would want it. And then I would make sure my shit is decked out. You know, as a matter of fact, I would have made that nigga pay for my shit to be decked out. I made sure he had a car on today. Like, I made sure all that was was there. But he didn't even want the house. He has nothing.
Speaker 3: He named the pictures up in his house. He's all he has is a bed. That's it. He had some pictures. He had some pictures in the house. But they not hung up. Right there on the ground. The pictures were on the ground. That's how little he cares about the house and having that building. Lou, what was your thoughts on the side mission John was on?
Speaker 5: One, I was wondering why he sent them on these dummy missions. But I guess they had to get separate screen time to kind of establish themselves as separate characters.
Speaker 3: So I get that. Two, about the house. Like, just what Jalen said. I'm like, man, how the fuck you get this house?
Speaker 5: That was the first thing that I wondered. So I'm glad they stated that on screen. And I like the reasoning behind what he gave him to it. I was wondering about the little box thing. I didn't know what that was. The infinity box or whatever the fuck.
Speaker 3: You call it. It's a pocket dimension.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hmm. Yeah, that sounds crazy. Hey, Luke, you can't stick anything in there. That's all I'm trying to say. Because you don't know what's inside of that thing. You don't know what's inside of that one.
Speaker 6: I think that's a theme for James Gunn, too, in this universe. He's really going to do the fantastical shit. That was in Superman. He don't really care about being too grounded. He's like, bro, we're going to go there if we need to go there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I got from him. Ken, what did you think about his scene with Earl?
Speaker 1: Well, he's in there playing dress-up like a girl putting that uniform up to him.
Speaker 4: He really wants that damn uniform.
Speaker 3: Hey, bro, he been.
Speaker 2: Hey, the way he looked was, yeah, it was like a wedding day. You know, you get your wedding dress and the girls, seeing how much weight they got to lose.
Speaker 3: Hey, he was, he was fiending. Hey, first day of school outfit, man. These niggas don't know. When I come to the.
Speaker 6: School rocking this shit, nigga, I'm going to kill.
Speaker 3: All the hoes. Niggas don't know, bruh. Just wait until that school bus pull up, nigga. He was sizing up the suit like, hey, bruh, I can put this on right now. And he lied down when he brought it back because I brought it back for you. Nah, nigga, you can put that shit on. Bring this shit with me, nigga.
Speaker 4: Fuck that. Yeah, that shit was funny. But no, this was cool, though.
Speaker 1: You're getting a little bit more Spiro shit, the lantern, the pocket dimension. Again, just in real small bursts to satisfy, you know, Lancer's fan or come book people.
Speaker 4: But I feel like not enough to throw off people.
Speaker 1: That's just that's there for the storytelling and and or there's just watching and or becoming familiar with it. So I liked it. And, you know, it was another way for them to introduce what it set up. Uh, but he, he needs, is he as military? Cause they snuck up on him.
Speaker 5: Well, this, as we move on, it's so obvious to knew he was going to get snuck up on.
Speaker 3: Um, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Cause shortly after retrieving the lantern, we see John gets jumped by some aliens disguised as white boys and things get interesting after that. Um, Ken, that's the reason why I think it was... You don't expect to get jumped at a superhero's house. I think that's what it is. And also, they're aliens, too. So, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they was probably... You couldn't hear them. They're not, like, heavy-footed like humans are. But, to your point, he's in training to be a super cop, essentially. And he been... There's certain points of him where I'm very impressed with him. There's other times I'm like, bro, you. You ain't know to look around. You just got done feeding the alien. You don't look around to see what else is around the corner.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Where they hiding it?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of open space in that mansion.
Speaker 3: It was. It was. But let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Lou, what were your thoughts on this interrogation scene, which is different than the one we saw in episode one when John gets snatched up?
Speaker 3: Uh, by the aliens. I thought this was good.
Speaker 5: This added to the, though, this was, uh, the place where I thought that I was missing someone. They use a little gun thing and I guess read his mind. Uh, it was good to see my boy, uh, from the wire. Um, damn, there was, there was interviewing.
Speaker 2: I remember him from somewhere else. I knew, I was like, he's not on, he wasn't on Snowfall. That was a different guy.
Speaker 3: It was The Wire. It was The Wire. He was the Greek partner. He was the Greek partner. The dude that was running for the Greek. He played all this stuff too. He's one of those. Yeah, he's been in a lot of other stuff.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it was good to see this and him not believing them, them making him believer with that little gun thing. Then it coming back up later. So yeah, again, I'm all the way in as to It's not overhanded. I don't feel lost to anything like that, but it's very intriguing from scene to scene to be like, okay, well, what's going on here? So I liked it in this interrogation scene, too, when they was using the little gun thing.
Speaker 2: Ken, what was your thoughts when we get to hear or see how they introduced Manhunters in this show and this now universe?
Speaker 4: It was really good.
Speaker 1: I really liked this whole scene. I didn't know who they were when they first showed up until they started talking. So, you know, when they said Manhunter, you know, that definitely caught my attention. So I'm like, oh, okay, so that's what we're adding to the show. Somehow, someway, they're either going to be the, well, I guess it sounds like they're going to be the villains. But, well, yeah, I don't know about that either. And maybe we'll see.
Speaker 4: Because why get his help?
Speaker 1: So I don't know what they're doing with this, especially if a lantern brought one there. And then it sounds like the lantern killed the other one.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: But this was really interesting. What did he see when he put the gun to his head? And how terrifying was that?
Speaker 4: And what will be Jon Stewart's next step?
Speaker 1: But for all intents and purposes, it definitely sounds like we have an enemy now. And I was also thinking about that scene where he was riding around with basically almost like a weekend at Bernie's with all them dead bodies in the car. And how when he dragged them all through that thing, it's like, well, I know we'll get into it later, but yeah, I'll say that for later. But yeah, this was really interesting because now we don't have to wait and guess. Now we have just enough to be like, okay, now what are we going to do with that and moving forward?
Speaker 4: So I really liked this scene.
Speaker 5: Do y'all know what Manhunters are? And that's what you're saying to that kid? Or is this just you saying they introduced a villain?
Speaker 3: No, we, we, I'm sorry. Can he ask you?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, we do know who they are though.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: But there, and this is what I was going to talk to Jay about. Cause Jay, you got me rewatching Justice League, the animated series. And they do an introduction to a Manhunter that is famous in DC lore. His name is, his name is Martian, the Manhunter as his superhero name, but his name is, he got two first names, John Johns, whatever. But his backstory is very different than how they're trying to introduce him in this, introduce not only him, but his people in this show. Jay, what were your thoughts on like that introduction and how different it was from what you.
Speaker 4: What we know?
Speaker 6: If I'm honest, man, I'm not 100% sure that I remember exactly what happened in Justice League. I think I have a visual of what the Manhunters were, and it was different. But I wasn't connecting it then. The only thing that I connected was what you said was Martian Manhunter, and I was just thinking about him. But it was a little bit different in my mind. I can't remember. I can't connect the dots completely right now in my brain. So when I got this introduction, I was more so trying to uh just follow along what they were giving because like they already broke the rule that i knew in my head at the beginning of the episodes i was just sitting in the episode as far as seeing what other whatever they were going to give us because the rules i was already taking in the expectation that rules are allowed to be broken so no need for me to overthink characters that i know because i'm not deep into lore either so i don't know When I think about Marvel characters, I know the basic outline of what makes the character themselves. So when you differentiate from different stuff, it's okay if you still keep the essence of the character there.
Speaker 3: I'm not there with DC.
Speaker 6: So I'm just sitting here chilling, and I'm like, all right, whatever y'all give me from here on out, I'll accept.
Speaker 3: The black man, I know the black man. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: Because he's basically the only black nigga we had on the show.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, I was locked in on him, and they got the essence of him down.
Speaker 6: So Manhunters, I can't even say anything but other than I like this piece of like forcing him to second guess whether he should trust Hal.
Speaker 3: Because Hal is treating you like shit right now. So adding this.
Speaker 6: Nugget to him to make him second guess like, damn, should I trust this?
Speaker 3: Nigga? Because he's not doing what I thought he was supposed to do for me. That's all I really took away from this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lou, again, we know who the Manhunter that we comic book fans are, but how they're doing it is kind of similar to how I feel like they did with Superman, where it's like there is a specific perspective that we have of at this specific alien race for example like superman's uh backstory was he came from planet krypton to and his parents wanted him to just kind of be helpful to the humans like he don't do anything crazy you're gonna have powers but be helpful but in the movie they were saying the complete opposite they were saying like we want you to take over and rule this introduction is kind of going on that beat where it's like It was presented to us one way a while ago. I don't know how they're presented this way. So that's why I'm kind of keeping things open, like Jalen said, for interpretation. But the fact that we even got, we're going to possibly get three superheroes in one show is actually interesting. So I did like the interrogation. That gun scene that you were talking about, Lou, we never seen that before. I think he was just, it was kind of like a forceful highlight reel.
Speaker 3: Of genocide that he was showing them.
Speaker 2: To kind of let him know that these people, these Manhunters, or these beings are not to be messed with.
Speaker 1: Nick, the other thing I was thinking about, because there's the Manhunters, the aliens, and I guess just by everything that we got in the show, it must be John John's people. But the Green Lanterns also have Manhunters as well.
Speaker 4: They are the red.
Speaker 1: Gray-bluish face-looking things, but they're.
Speaker 4: More like robots, though. Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when you said Manhunters, my first thought was, oh, shit, Martian Manhunters in here, because we kind of mentioned it last week. But then when I re-watched the scene again, they didn't say that, so I'm like, okay, wait, is this supposed to be.
Speaker 4: The robotic? It can't be.
Speaker 1: Or are they rewriting the robotic man hunters to be something different since this is a different universe man it makes more sense for it to be john john's people than the other way around but it did cross my mind that it could be the other version because i think they went um i think they went crazy at one point too and started killing green lanterns or the guardians.
Speaker 3: Or something Spike, don't feel bad.
Speaker 6: They're going to kick our ass this week because we don't know what the fuck we're talking about.
Speaker 3: We just spitballing. Yeah, we spitballing. So, again, you might feel lost with us talking shit, right? We really grabbing that scrawl right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we lost it. I'm lost.
Speaker 2: But that's the great thing about this show, Lou, is that anybody can come to the table and still be on the same page.
Speaker 3: No one is ahead of the curve as far as what they're showing.
Speaker 2: Because Even this show predates, I believe it was in production before James Gunn even took over the studio to do all the superhero stuff. So this stuff is like, we don't know where they're going with it and how it's going to tie into anything.
Speaker 5: So this don't play into, like you said in the beginning, differentiating the DCEU versus just regular DC.
Speaker 3: This won't play into any of the movies or anything? No, this will.
Speaker 2: But this is like going off of basically the Superman movie, the most recent Superman movie that came out.
Speaker 3: This is after this. This is.
Speaker 2: Well, the time again, you know, the timeline they play around with in this show.
Speaker 3: Right. It's before, present and after. You know what I'm saying? So. So that's what I'm saying. That's what the true detective thing is, though. It's messing with time. I wouldn't think about it too much, Lou.
Speaker 2: It don't have nothing to do with them, but it's in the same universe is all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It seems like they're going to give you everything you need.
Speaker 6: And the thing about this, too, Lou, as far as the MCU and you watch the Marvel shit, there's a lot of movies you haven't watched and you just be catching up and you just be like lost.
Speaker 3: Superman was basically the beginning. You saw Superman. So Superman is basically the piece of anything you're watching forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Everything you're watching forward, you've seen everything. So it's not like you will be, you need to go watch five of the movies to catch up. You've seen everything. You probably haven't seen as a cartoon show, but it's still not that deep because it's like kind of little isolated thing that's going on.
Speaker 2: So you don't, the only thing is, is Peacemaker and Supergirl. Those are the only things that's tied. It also is tied into this.
Speaker 3: Peacemaker don't really matter. I watched Peacemaker, the TV show. Y'all watched it. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: We reviewed everything that had started in this universe outside the cartoon show.
Speaker 3: So you caught up.
Speaker 2: So later we see how after discovering that the Makins have alien detecting technology get pulled over by Sheriff Kelly and she agrees to take him to see Will Makin once again so he can ask him get some answers for the questions that he got. Ken, what were your thoughts on how things turned out for Hal's second visit on the Macon's compound?
Speaker 1: They got carte blanche it seems, bro. They shot dude in the shoulder, you know, for trespassing. So it seems like they have a lot of power and leverage in that town over a lot of people. And he was at that meeting too. He was sitting right up front And she was trying to tell him, but, you know, he's arrogant. He's cocky. He's really, really good at his job. But he also didn't have the ring, and the ring was powerless. So I thought it was an interesting conversation because he's confronting him, and he's basically following through on a bit of the lead he had before earlier when he was saying that, look, I think it was when they were having the town hall meeting He was like, I've been doing this for a while, and I got lucky with my gut that it was aliens. But they somehow, someway knew that it was aliens here and managed to get it right. So there's something amiss with him and this militia he has. And he's trying to figure that whole story out. But just like in America, in certain parts, Hey, man, he's malicious. They got power. And they show him the power that they have. And they shot his ass. Because he thought they were bluffing until he woke up in the hospital.
Speaker 3: Hey, Lou, it's very rare we get to see.
Speaker 2: White man consequences versus white man aggression. You know what I'm saying? Like, not only does Hal think he, well, he know he is One of them ones. Like, I'm a superhero. And I'm a cop, international cop. So I have jurisdiction wherever I have jurisdiction. And y'all all know me. Y'all all know that I'm a hero. So when I'm asking questions, y'all have to answer it. But he's in some random part of Nebraska, and they like, bro, we own this whole city. You ain't telling us nothing. If we want to speak, that's when we want to speak. You know what I'm saying? So I thought I was shocked that he got shot. I don't know about you.
Speaker 5: In front of the sheriff, too. In front of the sheriff. And he gave him a slick warning, but not really. He was like, bro, dude's going to shoot you. He kept talking like, I told you he was going to shoot you. And shot him. Yeah, that was a good scene.
Speaker 3: Jay, what did you think about this scene? I hear y'all.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean, I kind of knew that they had the right to shoot him, because I mean, shit. Them Western, Midwestern. You on the land, niggas. They are not afraid to shoot you, nigga.
Speaker 6: Once you're transparent, niggas are looking for a reason to shoot you. So that part, when the sheriff was like, no, he can shoot you, I knew that part was true. What I didn't think they was going to shoot him is when he was like, I got the ring. I would have been like, yeah. So when they actually shot him, They gave even more credence to me knowing that he know what's up.
Speaker 3: He got a lot more information. He knew the ring was dead. He knew the ring was dead.
Speaker 6: He knew because in the last episode, an alien revealed itself. He was like, you only got so much of a charge because you haven't been here for a minute. So they have like he had an idea that it was because why would I shoot if I know you got that ring?
Speaker 3: My bullets ain't going to do shit.
Speaker 6: Because you can create whatever the fuck you want to create so it don't matter if you trespass or not he and that's what he was thinking too like ain't no nigga gonna shoot me when i got this ring on i wouldn't worry i knew they could shoot him but the fact that they did shoot him i was like yeah he know he know a little bit more than what they let him let know that.
Speaker 2: He knows i'm more i'm very there's a lot of people doing a lot of recap theories on everything as far as like who's a manhunter because they're shapeshifters um Who, like, who could be the guy that, you know, Will Macon is representing or is working for. And I'm very focused on, because, you know, the first episode ended with us knowing Hal got shot.
Speaker 3: So he ain't four in the bullets.
Speaker 1: So, so.
Speaker 2: To me, it's just more... I'm so curious about who killed Hal Jordan. And I feel like we're about to find out in this season. And that's going to be... Because, again, every other theory is not talking about that. Because, again, it seems like it's already a conclusion. Like, okay, we know he died, so everything else... It's kind of more important than him dying because we know we're eventually going to get there. But every interaction he has with the townspeople and everything, I'm questioning them on that. I know we're going to find out. There's going to be a surprise alien. It could be the little boy. It could be the sexy grandma. It could be somebody else. It could be his lawyer. Either way, somebody killed Hal Jordan. We need to figure out why. I feel like people aren't paying attention more so to that part of the story than to the alien espionage that we're going into. That was the main thing I took away from this scene was, like, this guy has so much power and has a financial backing that he can do whatever he want. He controls that town. And the sheriff was even talking to Hal, like, listen, bro, I'm already dealing with somebody who I got to report to. I don't need to report to you either. I'm not doing that. It's like I'm only going to have one boss.
Speaker 3: You know how, hey, Ken, you know.
Speaker 4: You're a married man.
Speaker 3: You already know.
Speaker 2: The woman, the wife, the woman ain't only going to have one boss.
Speaker 3: That's it. Anybody else, you ain't talking to me like that. And most of the time, it's Jesus. It ain't even you.
Speaker 2: So after getting shot, we see how I was recovering at some random hospital in the town. And Sheriff Kelly is sitting by his bedside. But she got some questions of her own now.
Speaker 3: Jalen. What were your thoughts when you heard.
Speaker 2: Sinestro's name be introduced into this show, this episode?
Speaker 6: Now, this is the Lord a little bit, Spike. That's like his number one villain, basically.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's his Lex Luthor.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly. That's who we need to go see at the end, right? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: So when I heard his name, I was like, all right. All right, so y'all actually all going to give us a next show in the season.
Speaker 3: Cool, cool, cool. So I perked up a little bit. It was more so that he was trying to be, that Hal was trying to be secretive about it.
Speaker 6: Like, why are you trying to, like, give me more of that backstory because you're being secretive about it, but obviously.
Speaker 3: She can find the information whenever she wants to.
Speaker 6: And obviously she reveals where she's from which I mean Spike I'm pretty sure you know what that is obviously so all these little they were dropping like small little nuggets for comic book fans but they weren't giving us anything it was just like random things that is lore but it didn't give us any substance so it just perked my ears up.
Speaker 3: It didn't really move me in the story anymore it was just more so the.
Speaker 6: Reaction of how he was not really interacting the way I thought.
Speaker 3: He could have because it seemed like it was public information. Yeah, it seemed like she just.
Speaker 2: Googled like how we can Google Sinestro on Wikipedia, but they're actually in the world. I got a question about that, but Ken, what were your thoughts on Sinestro's name being dropped?
Speaker 1: Oh, I like this part too because now you're adding more comic book-y stuff, so I just like hearing the name drop, seeing how His whole demeanor changed. Them, her telling the story for those that know who he is and are familiar with him. And just to let us know that this guy is in this world and also is giving just enough backstory and information for people that are not. and using him being passed out and talking his sleep in his sleep.
Speaker 4: As a way to do that.
Speaker 1: So I thought that was really, really dope how they managed to pull that off. And then it turned out to even have meetings. I thought they were just name dropping just to do it. Guy had no idea Sinestro would even appear in this show. Cause I was wondering that last week, but I was like, nah, it didn't seem like there's really a reason for him to even appear in the show because he's a villain. So yeah, I think they're just going to keep it focused on what's going on on Earth. So I was definitely surprised by what we got.
Speaker 4: But I thought it was really, really dope how they did that.
Speaker 1: And given how we ended the episode, thinking about it now.
Speaker 4: That was actually really good in what they did and how they wrote that.
Speaker 2: For me, I know Sinestro's backstory. I know he's a villain. So I kind of was like, okay, that was dope. Like you mentioned, Ken, it was dope that they dropped the name. But Lou, am I the only one who was like, what the hell is up with Sheriff Kelly? I cannot find a read on her because we are in this empty ass hospital that Hal calls out. He said, all this equipment look like y'all just bought this to make it seem like we're in a hospital. And two, she's answering every question without hesitation, not even any hint of curiosity herself.
Speaker 3: Now, granted, she's a sheriff. She always mentions a, you know what they always say?
Speaker 2: You know, you're probably not doing your job or don't have that high position if you got to keep reminding people what your.
Speaker 3: Title is, what you do and what your title is.
Speaker 2: Because she keeps telling us that she's a sheriff, but she's doing hella deputy stuff.
Speaker 3: If that.
Speaker 2: And so but she has all the answers. And I'm wondering, like, what is going on with Sheriff Kelly? What was your thoughts on Sheriff Kelly this episode?
Speaker 5: I had the same thoughts. As he's walking out of the hospital, Nick, and he's like, well, damn, ain't nobody else in the hospital? Like, what's going on over here? Then when she had all the information, when she was sitting right there talking to him, she's been watching him with the body. She knew he had the dead bodies in the car. She knew he was testing, like, all of these things. She just ominously knows, like, some be-all person that's in the town. So I do agree with you. Something is up with Nick. The character that she's playing is going to be more revealed there. I know we're looking for an alien. That may be it. In some way, shape, or form. Or she's helping them out later on. But I definitely was suspicious after this scene. Nick, you hit that right on the head.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. Y'all picked that up. I'm not looking at her, though. I just looked at it as the power dynamics, like how she said. I'm just trying to keep this... this town together.
Speaker 6: I'm not trying to hear all that she way too cool i'm not talking about morris i know what you're talking about shut up nick i ain't going i'm talking about i'm more so just saying like this nigga got a lot of power i ain't gonna listen i may know shit but i want this nigga to know i know shit because he he already got enough power.
Speaker 3: To move whatever the fuck you want to move and.
Speaker 6: That's what she was saying like the more that how does stuff the more he's going like.
Speaker 3: Uh Macon is going to react to it and show his power.
Speaker 6: It's more of him reinforcing how much power he has that she has to move under the radar before she comes with the facts. Because all he's going to do is shift shit around because he's got so much power in the town. That's how I took it. Not more so that she was afraid. Like a man, woman dichotomy.
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking about it that way.
Speaker 2: And to me, and Lou, before you go, to me it was more of like, to respond back to what you were saying, Jalen, it wasn't about the, to me, the woman, man dichotomy or situation it felt like something to kind of take you off center from actually asking real questions. Because he was saying, bro, if you knew there was aliens from the first episode till now, you know that's my jurisdiction. Why have you been trying to hold me back from doing my job if you know my job is meant to be done here?
Speaker 3: That was the thing.
Speaker 2: When he asked that question, and she gave, again, she gave the reason that you said, like, oh, he got a lot of power. What the hell that got to do with me doing my job? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like, It's like. It's just like a nigga coming in the hood.
Speaker 6: Like the police coming into the hood and just knocking down doors. Like, yeah, it's your job to solve a murder. But you know you could probably get more done if you actually said it. If you was cool in the community and you knew the dynamics of what was going on. The cop will come out of town through this shit and bumfuck and then come to Atlanta. Nigga, it's not the same. You got to understand the dynamics of what the fuck going on here. You can't just come up in the city and think that you're going to do the same shit you did there. You got to understand the dynamics. Who has power? Who's on what payroll? You have to understand those things. And I think that's more so. Hal isn't even trying to hear that shit. He on some shit like Get the fuck out the way. I know what the fuck I'm doing. That's the way I see it.
Speaker 5: I agree with that to an extent because I am picking up on she's trying to move.
Speaker 3: Under the radar, like you're saying, of the main dude.
Speaker 5: But also, there's this thing there that she knows more than she's letting on to. She's carrying the conversations and her interactions with him are one thing. very cautious, like you said, Jalen, because she's trying to avoid dude. They are very cautious, but they also seem kind of like she's hiding something.
Speaker 3: I feel that.
Speaker 4: I feel that. Also, because Nick, you asked last week about.
Speaker 1: The relationship, and she did drop in here during one conversation that she's unhappy or something like that.
Speaker 3: In her marriage.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're unhappy at home? I thought that was interesting, too.
Speaker 3: Hey, boy, we only need an inch to take a mile. Ain't gonna lie. Every character that lady plays, she's not happy at home. I remember her from... From no country for a while.
Speaker 1: Men?
Speaker 3: No Country for Old Men and Boy Walking Empire. She was both of them.
Speaker 5: She was unhappy at home.
Speaker 4: Oh, I do want to.
Speaker 3: I do want to do... Nick, I think.
Speaker 6: They did a little, and when it came into Sinestro, I think that's not knowing that he's in the show. I think they did themselves a disservice, but I also respect it as far as the trailers are probably based on the first three episodes. You can tell that all the shit we saw was basically in these couple of episodes. And so there's a lot of things they probably hid from us. that's going to be good for us as we watch. But it doesn't bring anybody in who was watching the trailers because the trailers were so damn bland. Nobody else, people don't really give a fuck about it. So hopefully word of mouth as the show, as I think it will get better, will force people to go and watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, for their first three-day release of the series, it got like almost 10 million views. So I think that was up with, the Penguin show that came out not too long ago. But that Penguin show had to get 10 million views after like 11 days. So it seems like people are tuning in and fans are satisfied across the board. But I mean, you're coming off of House of the Dragon, so it's kind of like you may just be getting those viewers based off of like, all right, what else y'all got?
Speaker 3: And it may drop off.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 3: We then go see it.
Speaker 2: John coming back to Rushville after meeting with the aliens, and he pulls up to a local diner, and lo and behold, Ken, we see the sexy grandma Zoe sitting in the booth ready to talk to him.
Speaker 3: They doing us dirty, Ken. They could have got us.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jay, you know who Nick Jonas is, the Jonas Brothers, the wife, the Nick Jonas? They could have got her, bro. And we would have been like, all right, we done. They giving us a.
Speaker 3: But she don't look old enough to be with him. I get the point. I get it. But I'm with you. But I understand the casting.
Speaker 4: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Hey, man, he in middle America.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't do this to Timothee Chalamet, Lou. They wouldn't do this to Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 4: He didn't.
Speaker 3: Timothee was with Guido Paltrow. He didn't. Robert Pattinson hasn't dead. He hasn't dead.
Speaker 6: He's older than Zendaya, though.
Speaker 3: Huh? He's older than Zendaya. I'm just saying he got our best. They ain't giving us a bargain bin. She's the best for them, for what they are.
Speaker 6: She's not terrible.
Speaker 5: If you look her up, I remember her from Better Call Saul, and I remember her from Night Of.
Speaker 3: She's still attractive. I get your point. I'm not saying she hurt. I'm just saying she ain't one of the ones. Nick, this is Nebraska. It's Nebraska, bro.
Speaker 6: Nick is having a problem because he was watching Justice League Unlimited. Jon Stewart had a hot girl.
Speaker 3: He had a hot girl and he had Vixie. Look him up.
Speaker 6: And for cartoon characters, he was using his imagination as a kid on how fine they was.
Speaker 3: And now he's looking at what Jon Stewart got.
Speaker 2: We getting some sexy grandma names.
Speaker 3: Zoe, come on. Ken, go ahead. I'm sorry. I asked you a question. What do you think of their concept? She's South Asian.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. So, I like that he called her out, though.
Speaker 1: You know, about the white thing. And, you know, she gave some bullshit-ass answer, but I think she know what it is. So, but I also like, he was like, so, what, is this how y'all get down or something? Like, what the hell really going on?
Speaker 5: What y'all probably missing out on?
Speaker 2: Hey, Lou, you hear how he had to change it up?
Speaker 3: He was like, Is your relationship unconventional? She was trying to ask a question.
Speaker 1: And she was like, nah, you know, sometimes it just gets caught up and I get bored, so I just go do something.
Speaker 4: But she didn't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: She was like, it's a small town that was bound to get out, so I don't know what you want me to do about that.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jay, Jay, she hit him with, to summarize it, she hit him with The young Miami quote, hey, spit in that shit. Because she was like, hey, bro, I got a rich white dude that's willing to pay for my lifestyle.
Speaker 3: And I'm in Rushville, Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Remember, Lou, I always ask you, I was like, bro, if you could be a king of anywhere that's not one of the major states, where would it be?
Speaker 3: And we seeing what it's like to be the king of Rushville, Nebraska. I don't want to be the king of Rushville, bro. I don't know. I can't even do it. That ain't going to hold you. Not even for a shot. A potential shapeshifter? She can be anybody you want for the night, boo.
Speaker 6: On top of that, obviously, niggas out of town come in and hit my wife. Obviously, that ain't the kind of king I want to be.
Speaker 3: Niggas out of town. Black man came out of town and hit my wife, bro, and she ain't put up no fight.
Speaker 6: Honestly, she was trying to go again. If we being honest, she was in that bar like, nigga, ain't really no thing for me to have fun whenever I want to. I bust it open when I feel like it. I don't think I want to be that kind of king, Spike.
Speaker 3: I want to be the king when my wife won't give it up to me, bro. Hey, okay, y'all making good points. That's how I got out of Nebraska, though. I just assumed that's how Nebraska was, to be honest with you.
Speaker 4: She was like, oh, I'm glad you weren't, or something she said to him.
Speaker 2: He said, if I would have known, yeah, if I would have known you were married, I wouldn't have done it, so I'm glad you didn't know.
Speaker 4: Glad you didn't know.
Speaker 2: You know, we found out that day, bro. They may not be, they may not be, it's concrete outside, so you know what that mean, Lou? That mean she for the streets. As long as there's concrete outside, somebody's for the streets. But I found it interesting that, again, because she is, as you said, Southeast Asian, or at least she's portraying that in the show, a person of color, and obviously John Black, they did have that, like, you know how we get in the office when there's only two of us, three of us, we go, all right, what y'all think about these white folks?
Speaker 3: You're talking for real. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I did like that part of the conversation. But I don't like how he How she takes him off center too easily. As soon as he see her, bro, he forget the mission. He forget his name. He forget the Atlanta. And I'm like, bro, what does she got on you?
Speaker 3: I will say to that point, Nick, she not bad enough for that. Thank you. That's the only thing.
Speaker 5: So she not bad looking. I'm not agreeing with you there. But to throw him off his pivot like she doing, that, nah, not her. Not the old, not her.
Speaker 6: What I think it is, man, you know, Jon Stewart is very military uptight, man.
Speaker 3: He don't be getting pussy off him like that. You know what I'm saying? It's like he finally got a piece. He don't know how to act.
Speaker 2: It's weird, though, Jay, because he's Aaron Pierre, regardless of who he plays. So you expect him like, bro, you at least get something, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Top shelf.
Speaker 2: My thing is also, like, I'm watching this show on Amazon, Citadel, season two of Citadel.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing Nick Jonah's wife in that show.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, bro, if she was in this series playing that character, I don't.
Speaker 3: Give a damn. Is she an alien? Is she a whatever? You got to disconnect, man.
Speaker 2: She could have the ring. She could have my wallet. She could have the rental car.
Speaker 3: She could have whatever she want.
Speaker 6: You got to disconnect from the part that Aaron Pierre had Tiana Taylor.
Speaker 3: Like, I get you. You got Tiana Taylor.
Speaker 6: Like, I mean, yeah, I understand. But at the same time, I'm just looking at her like, I.
Speaker 5: See why you said Nick Jonas Rice, you racist motherfucker.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that we go cast in that, if we go cast in that category, there's.
Speaker 3: Premiums in that category if we go cast in that. Just like when they cast in our category, Ken, they know the premiums of us too.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Don't do that. Don't do that. So after low-key pillow-talking, but what could be an alien.
Speaker 2: We see John get dropped off by Zoe at the motel that they're staying at, and John informs Hal of his recent adventures.
Speaker 3: Lou, I'm going to start with you. What did you think of how this conversation went? This is good, man. He letting Hal know he tired of this shit. The dynamic is shifting.
Speaker 5: I think right on time, again, to the pacing of this show, right on time at the end of the second episode, you're getting this shift in that dynamic as to, all right, I'm through playing Mr. Nice Guy with you, I got all the information now. I'm taking you off the pedestal. Now let's see how the conversation goes from here. And also on the flip side, how Hal is looking at him like going from a newbie to, oh, shit, he was able to get some information when I sent him on a dummy mission. And he didn't even really say how he got the information. So he's looking at him with a little bit more respect, too. I like how this scene played out and set up what we got to come. So, so far, so good.
Speaker 2: Jay, were you were you surprised that John told how, what went down?
Speaker 3: I don't think surprised is the word I would use. I wouldn't have done it.
Speaker 6: I would have probably kept my, my cards close to my vest for a little bit longer. Um, yeah, so I don't think it's a problem because John, he.
Speaker 3: Does his marching orders. You know what I'm saying? So, These niggas kidnapped me.
Speaker 6: I want to be a lamb and I was taught to be like I'm supposed to tell you this as my superior. So I wasn't surprised at that at all. It's just not how I would have played it. So if it's his character, because even when he did it, he did it in a way of like, I'm telling you this in order for you to give me more leeway to earn your respect because you constantly disrespect me.
Speaker 3: Will it work? I don't think so, because he basically.
Speaker 6: He was like, when he found out that he was, like, a top-notch lander, like, how great he was, he was like, I would at least expect a hoorah.
Speaker 3: Nigga, how? Okay, dude. Here, nigga, damn.
Speaker 7: Like, that shit, that was funny as fuck. But the main thing I took from this scene that I was still thinking about is when he got rid of the bird.
Speaker 3: When Hal was like, yo, what's up with the bird? Why the bird? And he grabbed the bird.
Speaker 6: And even though he felt like he was uneasy about doing it, it's like he had some type of attachment to that bird a little bit over that time.
Speaker 3: So I'm curious to see how that's going to come back around.
Speaker 2: Ken, I'm glad Jay brought that up because I was going to ask you, do you think he was lying about like, oh, it's just a simple bird? Because like Hal was mentioning, usually projections like that are way more intentional and they mean something to you when you do Especially if it's going to last for that long.
Speaker 1: I was thinking it may have had something to do with his dad. Definitely something with his childhood. Because that bird, when they were attacking him, were attacking the people.
Speaker 4: With force.
Speaker 1: There was blood on their heads and stuff like that. But I'm with Jalen. I think he was like, man, this bird don't really mean shit. Just the Make sure that Kyle doesn't have anything over him because now Kyle is probing.
Speaker 4: Hal is probing. Hal is really good at picking up on shit just from experience.
Speaker 1: So he noticed when things are out of place. And that bird being out of place and you coming back with that bird, given what it sounds like, all the situations.
Speaker 4: You've been in, yet the one thing that remains.
Speaker 1: If that was that bird all the way from there until here, what the hell is it about that bird that's so important?
Speaker 4: So I think it'll definitely come back around.
Speaker 2: I also like the fact that he said he recharged his ring real quick.
Speaker 3: He was just trying to get the oath out the way. He was like, yeah, black as day, black as night. That nigga ain't got no spicy. He like, yeah, I'm charging my shit, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Lou and the Lord, they repeat that.
Speaker 2: That's their oath, of course, to recharge their ring, but that's supposed to be like, you're supposed to say that like the Prejudice of Allegiance.
Speaker 3: Like, that's how it was like, it's kind of like.
Speaker 2: Meant in their world. So for him to say it like that is kind of like how you would say the Prejudice of Allegiance now.
Speaker 3: You're just trying to get it out the way.
Speaker 2: So to end this episode, we see how right after having that conversation with John, fly back to what seems to be Oa, which is the Basically, the main police station for the Greenlanders. It's a whole planet, but it's the main station for the Greenlanders where also the Guardians live.
Speaker 3: They always mention the Guardians.
Speaker 2: The Guardians are literally like the Oompa Loompas looking thing, but they blue. And they're the ones that created the rings and created the whole peacekeeping mission. So it seems like he's going back there to go see Sinestro. who we found out earlier, is still in play in this universe and he sees that he's locked up because from what Sheriff Kelly said, he tried to take over the Greenlanders and basically do a mutiny, but they stopped him because of Hal Jordan. Ken, what were your thoughts on this exchange and how impactful do you think it's going to be?
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be really impactful. I'm not familiar with the actor that played him, I remember how Sinestro was red, so maybe it was just the lighting that they had on him, but what I found really interesting, first I thought it was dope that whatever information he got from John was serious enough for him to fly his ass off planet. So we got some more superhero shit, which was dope, but I really noticed his tone change.
Speaker 4: And I've been wondering if.
Speaker 1: When Hal is interacting with people on the planet or in those cities, if that's an act.
Speaker 4: Or if that's who he really is.
Speaker 1: He's all silly and goofy and nonchalant and arrogant and stuff like that. Is that just an act to get them to let their guard down? And this is the real version of him? Or he just really, and I know you don't fuck with Sinestro. But once he saw him, he realized he really didn't fuck with Sinestro. And that's why his whole mood changed. But his whole demeanor was different. And I really like that. So now I want to see what has changed in terms of conversation we're going to get from here. Because the thing that Sinestro threw back at his face was, well, what the fuck do you know about Jon Stewart? So now we got the Manhunters adding some doubt to john and sinestro may be adding doubt to how so.
Speaker 4: How will this relationship.
Speaker 1: Continue to work when they no longer trust each other when they don't really fuck with each other right now anyway so what happens next so i think this was a good ending to the show And really sparks a lot of different questions about what is to come for next.
Speaker 3: What were your thoughts, Jay? I think that suit ugly as fuck. That's an ugly ass suit.
Speaker 6: That's the first thing. I'm like, damn, that suit. At least it look ugly on how. I don't know how it's going to look when John got it on, but it definitely ugly on him. Shit like all in the shoulders.
Speaker 3: That shit was trash. Yeah, it was like real bulky in the shoulders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that shit was trash.
Speaker 6: The interaction was just, it was cool. It was a nice way to end the episode. And I guess you didn't see the trailer. Obviously, it's not giving nothing away. It's just the trailer was focused on Jon Stewart's backstory. And so that's why when they end the episode, he's asking about Jon Stewart.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, cool.
Speaker 6: And for them to know that the next episode of Focus is going to be on John, it kind of got me excited.
Speaker 3: All right, now we can learn about the black man, damn it.
Speaker 6: Let's get some info about the black man. But everything else, and it was just a cool interaction. I didn't know whether he was saying the second most dangerous thing in the galaxy, the universe. Was he referring to himself as being the most, or is he referring to John as being the most?
Speaker 2: He was a friend of John. I thought the same thing, too. I had to rewatch that scene. But he was saying that the Manhunters are now the second most outside of John.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: I didn't know how to take that. Is he considering himself to be the most dangerous thing? And just being tongue-in-cheek, that's the second most dangerous thing behind me. But if it's John, that's a nice little ripple to have, too.
Speaker 3: Overall, a great ending for me. What about you, Lou? A great ending. I agree as well.
Speaker 5: I like how this scene piggybacked off the last scene to where the tension kind of comes to a head. And now, to Ken's point, you have the two different sides being pulled in different directions by the information that they get. And now I'm waiting episode three because they got to come back to each other with this information because he's still training him and there's still a mission at hand.
Speaker 3: So with them.
Speaker 5: losing some of the trust for each other. I really like how this ended, playing off their dynamic going into the next episode. It makes it really interesting as to, okay, where do we go from here and how do we handle each other moving forward? I thought that was a really dope way to end it. I like the dude, Ken. I remember him from, if you watched Banshee, he played in Banshee. It was a Showtime show or something like that where he played, he was the villain there and he did a really good job.
Speaker 3: So I'm expecting him to do Do you remember him from Banshee? I don't remember. I just know Banshee had Homelander, the guy who played Homelander. He had Homelander.
Speaker 5: He was a good guy. This dude right here was the bad guy. He was the main villain. And he did a really good job. So I think that he can, if they give him his just do as an actor and let him do his thing here, he can probably body this role because he definitely did a good job in that the last time I seen him.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I looked at this scene as far as like, As much as you're excited about learning about Jon Stewart's past, J. I'm also very excited to see more interactions and like kind of interrogation scenes between Hal Jordan and Sinestro because Lou Sinestro was the one that trained Hal Jordan to be a green light. So it's like it's a it's very interesting that he's in this show because that's who Hal learned from.
Speaker 3: And they got a toxic relationship.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting that now Hal and John got a semi-toxic relationship. So it's just like, it's interesting that those who train you, how they still impact your career trajectory in general. But yeah, I'm curious to see how we circle back to those conversations. But so far, again, they got me locked in. Like, they really can't do any wrong. Some people felt a certain kind of way about how they, the flying, how it doesn't always look. I guess they have issues with that. But I'm like, bruh, It's hard to make these fantastical shows, especially in a TV series, seem super authentic.
Speaker 3: So I'm fine with it. But overall, yeah, they haven't done anything wrong.
Speaker 2: Except for the suit. The suit could probably be a little bit better, but kind of like the MCU. But like the MCU, they always change up the suit in every iteration, every time you see it. So I feel like they're going to do something different for John when he wears it.
Speaker 3: I hope so.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Any other thoughts on this episode? Pretty good, man.
Speaker 4: I think I like where we're going.
Speaker 1: When you guys were saying it's a true detective story, I was like, how the hell are you going to pull this off? And it looks like they're finding a way, so I'm really liking the writing that we're getting so far, because as you pointed out earlier, Nick, all the reasons of why they're on the ground makes fucking sense. You know, so it's not some bullshit, so I'm messing with it so far.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Same.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to see if it's a hit, Ken. Because if it's a hit, then we can talk about different things.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's a hit yet, though. I think hit, going to love.
Speaker 5: I think we need to get to episode four before you can call it.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: But I'm fine with it just being a show for us. It ain't got to be for the world. Not every HBO show. That's how we learn with industry. Industry isn't technically a hit, but it's a hit to.
Speaker 3: Us for those who watch it. It will be after this season. I mean, you hope so. This is their final season. Yeah, I think it'll pick up in the final season. I think they're going to go back and bench. All right. You don't think so, Taylor? I think people are going to bench and get ready for this last season. The industry is just industry, bro.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's going to get any bigger than what it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 6: I don't think niggas be caring about the finance shit as much as y'all. It's the finance shit. I get all the dynamics. Nobody be caring about all that financial shit they be talking about.
Speaker 2: It's only because Succession was just recently in our preview, too.
Speaker 3: So it's like, Succession was a hit show.
Speaker 2: Everybody talked about that show a lot.
Speaker 3: But Billions, I don't think Billions is... I think, I guess... all right let's put billions.
Speaker 6: To the side hbo is a whole different beast in showtime so billions isn't as because when you talk about an hbo hit show it's like pop culture like it's like yeah and this industry is not going to be that succession was because it had the family dynamic the characters were funny and interesting like.
Speaker 3: It it it just stuck out more like it had more to offer.
Speaker 6: In a world a bigger world So, yeah, industry is a very niche spot to be in.
Speaker 3: It ain't set in the U.S.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got a good point. It's way more niche than most of the stuff that you get on HBO. Because even when it started, it wasn't even a Sunday night show. It was like Friday. They used to drop them like Friday evening or some shit like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I get what you're saying. All right.
Speaker 2: Those are our thoughts on this episode of Lanterns. Please let us know what you guys think. Let us know in the Reddit threads, FPS podcast. That's our handle in the Reddit. Also our handle for IG and Twitter. Can we still do a Patreon for this or we letting the streets hear it?
Speaker 4: We'll give it a couple more weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give it a couple more weeks. All right, patrons, y'all getting the hookup.
Speaker 2: Tell your friends, family, whoever you're close with, if they want to get it for the streets, they got to start demanding it. But we appreciate y'all for those who are patrons. We like doing content like this and we're going to keep it up. So tune in next week for our recap of episode three.
Speaker 4: We out. Peace.