Speaker 1: Going back to breaking with Brett Jensen here on this Wednesday night. Okay, so I've interviewed many congressmen over the last few years here, quite a few Congressmen and a couple Senators as well. One that I have not interviewed is Chuck Edwards, the congressman out of western North Carolina and District eleven, which is basically all of the mountains. So for the very first time, he's joining us right now. So, first of all, Congressman, thank you for joining us tonight. And second of all, I saw the other day that Speaker Mike Johnson said that he wants to have a very vigorous active you know, late summer, early fall, going into November and December, and so I'm just curious from that standpoint what kind of bills are voting or what to anticipate he meant by vigorous and what do you expect going on between now and the end.
Speaker 2: Of the year. Well, I wouldn't say it's only Speaker Johnson that wants an aggressive wrap up to the one hundred and nineteenth Congress. I recognized that we still much work to do for the people of North North Carolina, and the number one thing that we're working on right now is funding the next fiscal year. Our fiscal year ends on September thirtieth, and we've got to put a twenty twenty seven spending plan together.
Speaker 1: Speaking of a Congressman Chuck Edwards, who represents all of western North Carolina, like all the mountains and right there in District eleven. So you just mentioned, you know everything talking about finances going forward, how do you think that will go? Because North cal Indians are very all too well informed about how budgets go between. You know, it took a year and a half to get the one just now passed in Raleigh, and we've heard about government shutdowns in the past. So how do you think this one will start going?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's going to go much better than we've seen for the last several decades. An example is just how we finished up twenty twenty six the Appropriation Committee, which I sit on As a matter of fact, I'm the only appropriator from North Carolina in the House of Representatives. We passed all twelve spending bills. These were pre conferenced with the Senate, and we had a bipartisan effort to fund our government right up to the last minute when a number of Democrats, because of their resistance of funding ICE, pulled their support for the Department of Homeland Security. But we got twelve in excuse me, eleven individual spending bills passed outside of the CR process, which was absolutely unheard of for the past several years, and we're all to the same type of start this year. We've passed all twelve spending bills out of Appropriations Committee thus far.
Speaker 1: Congressman, almost your entire area was devis Hurricane Helen. Can you give the people you know east of you an update and how things are going up there? Are the mountains? Are they pretty much rebuilt? Seventy five eighty ninety fifty percent? Can you give us an update on how things are going up there from Hurricane Helen?
Speaker 2: Hi, I appreciate that question. You're right. I represent the sixteen western most counties in western North Carolina, every one of which was declared a natural disaster area after Hurricane Heleen. We saw unprecedented damage, and I'm really proud of the work that so many churches and volunteers and neighbors have done to help initially make sure that folks were taken care of. They had the resources and the shelter that they needed. We've come on strong in terms of rebuilding. About ninety eight percent of all of our roads are now reopened. The Blue Ridge Parkway be fully restored by the end of this year. All the water systems are now operational. We've repaired or replaced about one hundred and six thousand homes in North Carolina. About ten thousand, four hundred private roads and bridges have been restored. We don't have a good count on the number of businesses that are reopened, but many have. We've brought about thirteen billion dollars in disaster relief funding to Western North Carolina for the rebuild. Yeah, we've got We've still got work to do. It may take a few years before we look totally normal again, but I'm proud of the way that the people of western North Carolina have come together to get things. The federal government, there's no question, has been a bit slow in its response, and I have worked with three different femas since Hurricane Heleen. I worked with the FEMA under the Biden administration. I worked with a FEMA under Christy Noman. Now I'm working with a FEMA under Secretary Mark Wayne Mullen, each of which takes on a whole different set of personalities.
Speaker 1: Speak with North Carolina Congressman Chuck Edwards, who represents the District eleven, which is the Mountains of North Carolina. So, Congressman, one of the big things about a month and a half ago at the NCGOP convention was Republican motivation, getting them really motivated to show up in November to actually vote into counteract the motivation by the Democrats. Do you see that being an issue?
Speaker 2: Well, my focus actually serving as the representative of western North Carolina is continuing to serve the people of west in North Carolina and doing the job that I was hired to do. I've not taken a lot of time to campaign, but the reality is Republicans are fired up and we will must certainly make it to the polls in October and November. I think we're going to see record early voting turnout by Republicans this session or this election. Republicans are fired up. We'll must certainly make it to the polls because we understand what's on the line.
Speaker 1: So Congressman, I'll end it like this, and like I do, just about every single interview is there anything that you'd like to say that I didn't ask you about, or anything that you'd like to say to the constituents in your district or just to the people in North Carolina who are listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate that opportunity. First of all, I think folks would be interested in a couple of bills that we're going to see work on this week. In fact, last night, the House passed the Sunshine Act, which would eliminate the well it would keep permanent daylight savings time. While that seems like such a small issue, it's an annoyance for Americans to have to change their clocks twice a year, and I hear constituents over and over again telling me that they wish that we could pick one time. Well, we're going to give the states an option to do that through the bill that we passed last night. Also, I know there's a lot of interest about eighty five percent of Americans would like to see provisions of the Save America Act passed. Eighty five percent of Americans think only US citizens should be voting in federal elections, and the Save America Act provides for that. In addition to most Americans feel that there should be voter ID in place, and so the House is going to be working on another result this week. In fact, tomorrow, the Budget Committee begins to mark up a reconciliation package that I believe the Senate can get on board with and pass with a simple majority. That's two pieces of legislation I think folks in North Carolina would be interested in past that. I'd just like to say to folks out there that I always appreciate the opportunity when folks reach out to me to talk about what's on their mind. We have the Carolina Cruiser in every county every month, so follow my website and social media for the calendar there. We always look forward to folks climbing aboard the Carolina Cruiser and talking about what's important to them. And if anybody out there is still having problems with disaster recovery, I set up a special phone line. It's two two three fixed FEMA, and they'll be connected directly with one of my staff experts on helping folks navigate the bureaucracy of hurricane recovery. That's two two three fixed FEMA.
Speaker 1: Well, Congressman Chuck Edwards, I really do appreciate you taking the time for our very first interview with one another, and I look forward to doing this in the very near future. So again, thanks a lot for joining us tonight, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Thanks a lot, I've enjoyed visiting with you.
Speaker 1: All right. Once again, thanks to Congressman Chuck Edwards for joining us tonight for the very first time. Here, I'm breaking with Brett Jensen. Look forward to doing that more times in the future.