Speaker 1: Why from the Heart Blind and the Crossroads of America. It's Tony Katz today. So the only question is who controls the strait? Well, I guess maybe the only question is are we actually still at war with Iran?
Speaker 2: If nothing is happening?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe the only question is what is actually happening to begin with?
Speaker 2: Who's doing what? When we're why?
Speaker 1: And how can we get at least a straight and honest answer. Not what I want, not maybe what you want, and we could possibly be in conflicts. I love you either way, But what is actually happening? What is the goal? What is the objective of the United States, of the Iranians of the Middle East? And how do we get what we want? And does that mean somebody else has to get what they want? Tony Katz, Tony Katz today, Good to be with you. Stephen Yates joins us right now. You know his work over there at the Heritage Foundation. Now his focus is China and China policy and China relations.
Speaker 2: But because of.
Speaker 1: That he has had a lifetime of understanding world relationships and how this geopolitics works, including from his time in the George Bush White House with Vice President Cheney. Let's break it down a little bit, Sir. I hear from President Trump that we control the Strait of our MOUs one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: There's no question about it. I hear from the Iranians.
Speaker 1: Or whomever it is speaking for the Iranians that they control the strait one hundred percent. I have got very little in terms of tankers going through the strait, and I have got oil that has been back above eighty dollars in some places eighty five dollars a barrel.
Speaker 2: Stephen Yates, who controls what well Tony?
Speaker 3: I think we've got a sort of perfect muddle to a degree, both sides telling the truth, especially from their point of view. And so the imperfect picture that we can put together is that there's more shipping traffic transiting the Strait of Hormus and oil and natural gas coming and going from the non Iran destinations than is being accounted for by private trackers. And that's partly due to signals being turned off on those vessels for security purposes and being escorted by the US military, And so the US government sources have higher numbers of the ships coming and going. In fact, over the last weekend, talking about at numbers that pre date the war and those the drop off that has held for several several months. So on the one hand, that's true. Militarily, we definitely have control of the Strait and we definitely have Iran pinned in. On the other hand, they are still completely capable of engaging in economic terrorism. And what I mean by that is all it takes is one off threats here or there, occasional attacks here or there, and it completely shapes the behavior of your adversary. Those adversary could be the insurance companies that jack rates so that ships don't want to move. That adversary could be regional actors that recoil and try to pressure the administration to engage in concessions and endless negotiations that by time for recovery. But this is the textbook definition of terrorism. You use the threat and reality of occasional force in order to get an outsized political, economic, or other strategic reaction out of your targets. And that's what leads to this stalemate.
Speaker 1: Let's take a step back in something you said, because I don't think people understand and I don't claim this is my area of expertise. We have more tankers that are going through because they're turning off the trackers.
Speaker 2: Walk me through how that works well.
Speaker 3: For though, there are apps you can go to on the internet, and they're certainly high priced commercial services that will give you very very clear data. And that's when everyone's sort of GPS signal is on and they can sort of like air traffic control, can see where every flying object is or seafaring object is. In this case, we're looking at the seafaring objects, and for both safety and the economics of scale of tracking things, they will have signals that you can be able to detect where these lumbering objects are that go on the sea. They're weighed down so heavily. I don't even understand the physics of how they float, much less move, but as they go they have signals on. So for security purposes sort of like going stealth, if you're in the air, you have all things turned off, and that's dangerous if you are at risk of bumping into things. But if you're being escorted by a military force, then you have less of that safety concern. So those international services are not in fact able to track where all of these vessels are when they are cloaked, or to have their signals turned off, and so some things are moving. Do I believe that they are moving at pre war levels? That's hard to fathom. You think that more of that would be seen and you would see more of that reflected in the markets. At the same time, as you noted the price of oil being in the eighties, that's way down from the one hundred plus of the panic rates. It's not down to sort of the fifty to seventy range that was sort of pre war, but it's ticklishly close to that, which tells me some things are moving. Whether it's the diverted fuels or whether it's the escorted ships. Some things are moving. So we're not seeing the picture, which fails the first rule of politics in my book, which I learned from TV. So it has to be true. It's not enough to do good. You have to be seen doing good. And it's hard for the war everyday Americans and even market analysts to see the good that's happening.
Speaker 1: You know how heavy that statement is, right, because you're talking perception versus reality. And this is where people who want to be all Trump all the time and people who want to be all against Trump all the time fail in the conversation talking to Stephen Yates to the Heritage Foundation. Because perception is reality. You're not wrong when you discuss where the oil prices are. We're not at one hundred and ten dollars a barrel, but when you tell me oil's got to be at seventy five dollars a barrel in order to be like, hey, look how oil.
Speaker 2: Prices are down. Gas prices are down. Everything's good, and we're at eighty five dollars a barrel.
Speaker 1: And we saw it go up because Iran is saying to the United States, forget you, We're going to do whatever we want.
Speaker 2: That is seen.
Speaker 1: That puts the president in a position I view of weakness, of perceived weakness. Never mind the idea of this back and forth. We control the straight, No, we control the straight. But go back again for a moment. You talk about it in insurance rates, and you talk about escorts. On the idea of escorts. This is I think where a lot of people have been. How is it possible that we don't have a series of destroyers just lined up on both sides of the strait. How have we not gotten the Saudis and others to line up some forces on both sides of the strait, and we just make sure that nothing gets through.
Speaker 2: We make sure.
Speaker 1: That the tankers get through, that the Iranians can't do nothing. They're finished, they're complete. We do it by force. So when you talk about escort, this is what people are asking, how is this not happening already?
Speaker 3: And mass It's a painfully clear and appropriate question for which I don't have a good answer, because it's exactly what I would have done months ago, and I think we have the capability to do so. I think we have been clear that our governing ethos is to press the free riders of the world that you are going to have skin in the game. You are going to put fuel in the tank. You are going to fight this. We are helping you, and you're going to pay for us helping you. And part of that is you're going to share some of the risk. We're not going to stand out here as the only targets. You're going to stand shoulder to shoulder in doing something that ensures freedom of navigation for you to thrive and your people to be safe. That is the way I understood that Trump Great Realignment was meant to be. It's something I am million percent agree with and strongly support. I think we have done some of those things, but we aren't doing enough of those things, and we aren't being seen doing enough of those things, and that, I think is the challenge. We have to move in that direction for this to be sustained. And I think that there is a way to not just spin a win, but for there to be a real transformation that people can be proud of and can hold and is worth it. But we aren't doing enough of what you just said that I completely agree with. Things should have been done long ago.
Speaker 1: Talking to Stephen Yates the Heritage Foundation Heritage dot org. His focus is China policy, but his history is that of full geopolitics in the region, whether it be the Far East or the Middle East. I am somebody who believes that we should have taken out the regime.
Speaker 2: And when this.
Speaker 1: First took place back in February, you were the first person I was texting with. You were the person I was reaching out to. I was preparing for a live event, and I was trying to get data from you to understand exactly what it was that I was seeing here. And I certainly believe then that taking out the regime is I think job number one. And when I talk about how the president is viewed here, and I know that the president does not like to be viewed as weak at any level in any place, there is a view here that he is. Because you can only talk about Iran can't get a nuclear weapons so much. In the end you have to end the regime that is trying to achieve this goal, and they may still be working at it if everything's possible. You know, right now, you can't say they can't have a nuclear weapon then leave and all of a sudden a centrifuge starts spinning up. Legacy is shattered. And this brought up a conversation that I had with Leland Vidder of News Nation. But the idea of will the IRGC the Iranians have the will to hold out and the United States doesn't have the will. I don't believe that in Toto because I haven't seen whether or not the president will or won'tes.
Speaker 2: All I know is he's not doing the bombings, but.
Speaker 1: He's still around, and he's still there, keeping to an extent his powder dry and waiting to see what happens.
Speaker 2: Is this a willpower fight? Is this about political wills.
Speaker 1: Is this about whether or not the president has the stomach for this, whether this is really in his desire in his wheelhouse? Where do you think the real battle is in terms of ideology between the GC and where President Trump is well.
Speaker 3: I think first there's a caveat for how to even talk about this. I think we have to be careful to fall into the traps of all or nothing kinds of lenses, because it's just not the way the world is. It's not the way warfare is, and it's not the way this mix of forces and pressures and other kinds of activities is going to play out. The war is always a bit about will and capability, and sometimes patients and patients can often be mistaken for weakness. It can be weakness, it can be appeasement. But it depends on what the ultimate aim is and are there measurable results in a reasonable period of time, And what is reasonable is subjective. That comes down to politics, domestic and international. So what I mean by all this gobbledegook I just sort of spewed out here is that the president has some very powerful things in place that we're not in place for the decade plus from the bogus Iran Deal to the present, we have maximum financial pressure in place. We've gone after bank accounts that matter in very serious, real and impactful ways. We have a blockade in place that has having a real and meaningful impact on the coffers of the theocratic regime in Tehran, and there is no indication any of that is coming off any time soon. And so that form of maximum pressure is greater than has ever been applied to this regime in the near half century of its existence. And is there a resolve to keep it in place indefinitely if necessary, to starve the regime of the resources and wait for them to be cannibalized by their people or among the power centers of themselves. That is not the timeline that we were led to believe at the beginning of this operation. But it is not appeasement, it is not weakness, it is not failure. It's just different and longer, and ultimately it might be what works. It isn't what I would have chosen in terms of the option set going forward. But it is not the sort of all or nothing kind of fork in the road that we instinctively go to when thinking about these things. There is more than one way to change this regime. There's more than one timeline on which to change this regime. The question is, can we hold allies, can we hold markets, can we hold our domestic politics? Do we have the resolve and the strategy to do those things to allow this longer, more patient path to work.
Speaker 1: And I would only argue that one of the things that the administration didn't do and should have done was explained why in much greater detail, made the full on appeal to America and said let's be in this together. But that is a political consideration I agree with, and I just they didn't do this because the president believes I'm doing this and everyone's gonna go with me and it'll get explained as we go. And that's just not how this works. But to the idea of the political concer iterations. Talking to Stephen Yates to the Heritage Foundation this story over at Fox News that you have Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey considering a pact to work together. Now, I have argued that the one thing that the president has done is he's rethought Middle East policy. He has forced the Middle East to rethink Middle East policy. Everything is now different. The Abraham Accords a huge part of this and getting rid of this regime, getting rid of this Iranian threat allows the Middle East to have a much more stable future. But if Turkey, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are getting together, you could argue this is about trade and creating a world without an Iranian regime, or this is about creating a new power base to be able to deal with the fact that the United States might be the hegemonic power now in the Middle East once the Iranian regime is gone.
Speaker 2: What is your take on this alleged relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, Tony, if you'll allow a shameless plug and encourage people to listen to the latest Nation States with Yates and talks of about how the map of the Middle East was rewritten, we go into some of the deeper things that are behind the question. I think it's an important question you get at this, specifically this coalition Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Pakistan. Part of this is the peril of when you empower intermediaries to operate on your behalf, to try to come to what might be priest terms, whatever the status quo after major military operations are over, and we always have to be careful It's one thing to allow the good offices to convene conversations that otherwise wouldn't happen. But when you allow the intermediaries to drag your strategy, then I think you're putting a little bit of American strategy and interests at risk. And I think the administration is pulled back some from whether it was Oman, Pakistan or others. But they've been empowered and emboldened in some ways in recent months in ways they haven't for a long time. And of course American interests aren't going to be the same as Saudi Arabian interests, but Saudi has a big footprint in the Middle East, and we have to continue to kind of mind that garden, I think a longer term and it's better than putting our bets on the theocratic empire coming out of Tehran if that isn't stopped in the near future. So there is this mix. I don't like this alternative out there that they're floating. I think it is not a happy or friendly signal to Washington, which has reached out in good faith with all three of these governments, yes in the not too distant past, and has done some strategic things that very much benefit each of them and sort of float this idea that they are somehow the condominium that's going to shape the future of the Middle East that gets away from the Abraham Accords architecture and reason for being. And so I think some work needs to be, you know, to encourage some of these to put their horses back in the stable a little bit and let's finish what's right in front of us. And until that is resolved, then there's there's no point in you talking about these things. And we'd have to pull back on some of the friendly things we've offered to you if you're proving not to be helpful into doing something that matters to the United States.
Speaker 1: And I do absolutely believe that when we talk about a deal that has to be made, the deal that doesn't have to be made with a RAN, it has to be made with Saudi Arabia, Bakrain and the UAE, that they are going to be active participants in bringing an end to this regime and remembering who their friends are, they got to get some skin in the game. This is like the United States discussing how NATO nations have to pay for their own security against the Russians.
Speaker 2: Stephen Yates.
Speaker 1: Find them at Heritage dot Oregon. Of course, Nation States with the Yates. The podcast available on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Good to see us, sir, we'll talk soon. Keep it here. This is Tony Katz today