Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frames per Second Podcast. But we are doing an anniversary episode of the film nineteen ninety six film starring Matthew McConaughey Samuel Jackson, titled It's a Time to Kill. I'll go around the room and see what everyone thought about this movie before we dump jumped into it. I'll start with me. It's been a long time since I watched this movie. I remember liking it, but I didn't remember it being this good. I really really liked this movie in a sense, I just forgot on some of the notes that they played. I'm always here for a courtroom drama. I thought some of the performances were fantastic with Matthew McConaughey Samuel Jackson, Like who knew Sandra Bullock used to look good?
Speaker 3: I forgot all about that. I forgot she used to look good man.
Speaker 4: I was a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did an age like milk You think.
Speaker 5: Me, I haven't. I don't know. I'm looking down I mean though, but I loved it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we reviewed. This has probably been one of my favorite anniversary films to review. I'll toss it over to Mike. You said you haven't seen this.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 6: I had not seen this all the way through. I've seen like little small bits and pieces.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Don't fuck with Sam Jackson like that, bro, especially trying to see him in a dramatical role. I'm not watching this ship. But no, I was good. It was a bit long for me.
Speaker 1: It was two hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like, what, I didn't remember that.
Speaker 7: I was mad when I sat down and put this on, I was like, wait a minute, this is there another movie.
Speaker 4: It is almost three hours long.
Speaker 5: But no, I was good, man, it was really really well done.
Speaker 3: I forgot about it. Yeah, it was good, Ken, what you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of my favorite movies of all time, bro, Yeah.
Speaker 2: This told my top twenty list. I didn't realize it before start, but yeah, definitely one of my favorite ones of all time. Love it, Rod, this worked for you? Yeah, yeah, this This is definitely one of the ones.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: It's obviously triggering to see, you know, the one scene, so yeah, I always hated that scene, but I do like to think that follow after, like you know what I'm saying. So so now, yeah, this is a this is a good one, man.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was directed by Joe Schumacher based off of John Grisham novel.
Speaker 5: You're a Hater, Spike. She looks great for her age.
Speaker 7: She looks damned the same as she looked in the movie Don't.
Speaker 2: If You won't.
Speaker 4: She looks great.
Speaker 3: She looked good in the movie.
Speaker 7: I think she looks great. You see some of these, especially white folks that have aged. She looks really good for her age.
Speaker 2: I put it like this. She not ugly. Now, you're right, But I didn't remember her being hot. She was hot in this movie. I never thought of her as hot. Yes, I hadn't either til I seen in this movie. I think they did a good job of making her appear that way. That's what I will say. All right, So let's get into it. The films open were in Mississippi, a little Tanya shopping at the grocery store. We get these two red knicks causing the ruckers on the road, terrorizing the grocery store. She leaves out. We have the whole assault that happens. I'll go around in the room.
Speaker 5: Did y'all like that?
Speaker 2: They got right into it. Did y'all think it was gonna be more build up, more set up? Before this?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 5: I didn't remember it getting right into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: I feel like movies was kind of like that back in the day, though, Like they kind of get right into it. They don't really waste no time. As soon as you see that pickup truck, you already know what time it is.
Speaker 1: That's some red necks.
Speaker 7: She was like, Oh, some shit about to go down. I just where were they were in Missisi? And they haven't call another movie called Missipi Burnings. I used to get those confused. A time to kill the Mississipi burning I used to get those confused.
Speaker 2: This story is kind of like to kill a mocking bird in a little bit in the courtroom side, on the courtroom side.
Speaker 1: Yeah but na.
Speaker 7: Yeah man, yeah yeah. They get right into it and it makes you had them immediately or whatever. I'm just trying to think and what time period was This supposed to be nineties, so it was supposed to be in the nineties, So I'm just like, what would we Is that realistic that that to read get away with this?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Remember there were stories in the nineties picking up motherfuckers, dragging them behind the truck and stuff like that came from real news headline.
Speaker 7: I'm glad you know this, but you still hop your Yeah, that's the part I was trying to read.
Speaker 6: This is why I be worried about y'all, because it like this, really he does and did happen?
Speaker 1: Said, Yeah, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 8: It was actually nineteen eighty four movie took a little bit more more.
Speaker 7: I just looked it up and just seemed like I just don't remember liked happened in the nine that absolutely happened in the ninety Yes, but yeah, yes, like a black community with two white boys. Yeah, because the type of black community that they were in, there was zero power for them in that community.
Speaker 5: If you're living in a in an area like that.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't know.
Speaker 4: Anyway, the rock wasn't enough to help them.
Speaker 7: Nah, but nah, like yeah, just hearing her, like, oh, you know, I dropped, sorry, I dropped the gross daddy Jesus Christ and her just calling out to her daddy the whole time. Me being a father now here and that ship. But yeah, it hit a little different. It hit a little different having a daughter myself, and so yeah, I was just like.
Speaker 5: Jesus, I didn't know that that's what this was.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 7: So I was like, all right, I'm a little annoyed that I gotta watch two and a half hours of some sup like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he picked up for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah when he shot him, Yeah, okay, cool cool and and the copper clatteral damage.
Speaker 6: Hey, thumbs up, I'm liking this. Oh well, so well, wasn't standing on business.
Speaker 1: And I give a I give a little.
Speaker 5: The cock.
Speaker 8: I guess he knew he was a cock when he went to go arrest him, because he popped that dude upside the head with that bottom. Oh rock, Yeah, like, get your ass on. Because he would call him a nigger and everything, called him a nigga. Yeah, you doing this aloud?
Speaker 5: Like your boy?
Speaker 3: That's your boy can from twenty four?
Speaker 5: Who that is?
Speaker 4: That was late?
Speaker 2: That was the brother yeah keeper yep. So they get they have the whole scene where they meet at the house. They figured out what happens to Tanya from there. You see, the charge just doesn't is the sheriff of the town. He goes to arrest Carl Lee. Carl Lee says, niggers not allowed in here.
Speaker 4: I thought Carl Lee was Sam Jackson.
Speaker 7: No, oh, you're right, yeah right, Remember the other dude Billy, Billy Billy.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he goes to arrest Billy Ray. Did y'all think at this point, Mike, I know you said your first Did you think it was gonna be one of those movies where the white people were gonna have an advantage and like they talking to this cop any type of way in their little bar?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where'd you think it goes from here? You thought you're gonna be frustrated.
Speaker 7: I thought they were gonna kill Rock too, But he had the back end of the other white cops.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 6: I don't trust white cops period, especially in nineteen eighty four in southern wherever the fuck they're at Clanton, Mississippi, mississ in Mississippi. Come on, bro, I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't been to Clinton.
Speaker 3: This is about they said it was about old Miss somewhere.
Speaker 6: And how you spelling this c O A N T O N. That is insane that this place is called Clanton. That's wild And.
Speaker 4: That's a real.
Speaker 5: He said about in the movie that was saying she was close to old Miss.
Speaker 1: That's the player. I've never been there, you knew, he said, he didn't, that's what.
Speaker 2: Oh, sorry, all right, So they get locked up. They go to jail, call Lee go down there and tell Matthew McConaughey's character, look, they might get off.
Speaker 3: I need you to know. I need to know that you've got me.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: And he go down there, he confides in him and tell him I might be thinking of doing something. Should Matthew McConaughey's character have called the police or notified someone legally?
Speaker 6: Yes, morally no, as a lawyer his job legally, yeah, he should have probably got disbarred, but they don't know that he knew. Yeah, he didn't tell anybody, but yeah, he probably being a lawyer, he probably should have taken that ship. Seriously, this man just had his daughter raped and attempted murdered, and he comes in here and says he's gonna he's thinking about doing something crazy and you just don't say anything.
Speaker 8: And he did start telling everybody, seem like, but he told his wife, he told somebody else, folks, he told his home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh but yeah.
Speaker 8: But Clinton is not real, but Canton, Mississippi is real. So John Grisham probably did a player on words just for that. But Canton, Mississippi is a real place, but Clinton is not as fictional, got it.
Speaker 2: So he tells him that he goes hide out in the courtroom, they get escorted in, and he came out blasting shot both of the ass and the police.
Speaker 5: She was tight.
Speaker 2: How satisfying was this scene for like looking at Cary and understanding as a father, Rod like, could you see could you understand what he did?
Speaker 7: Absolutely absolutely understand what he did at that point, It's like, all all that shit is out the window, man, to see your baby girl raped and.
Speaker 3: I can't have kids?
Speaker 4: And oh I forgot about that part.
Speaker 7: Yeah because he oh yeah, because what he said at the end the end was crazy with how he.
Speaker 4: What he said that.
Speaker 7: Closely but now yeah, I got it, Like this was the title of the movie.
Speaker 5: That's definitely was.
Speaker 7: Time to Kill Like so yeah, so that I definitely thought that was I thought that was like kind of like when Mike said, yeah, it's like, oh yeah, cool, that works for me, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I'm in satisfied. Was absolutely loved it.
Speaker 8: I remember the first time I watched it growing up, you know, in this sort of environment, hearing stories growing up, seeing some crazy ship yourself. You know, Yeah, this this was This was great for me to see this, and even as an adult, it's kind of one of the things that I wish there were more revenge killings, you know that took place and it sounds fucked up, but like the ten year old girl raped and killed, and there's a I mean, I'm sorry, thanks, assaulted and raped.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a book called Southern.
Speaker 8: Horror Slave Stories or something like that that it's very difficult to read, but they go through historical instances.
Speaker 1: Of white people.
Speaker 8: Doing this sort of behavior to black people and vice versa, and they talk about how if justice isn't met it they'll go into the jails, drag him out and kill them, and white people getting off or doing the same exact thing.
Speaker 1: It's a very difficult book to read, but you know.
Speaker 9: And.
Speaker 8: That I didn't read that before this, but you know, I started reading it a couple of years ago and watching this now having read some stories that they're telling in this book that's similar, you know, it's just like to do that stuff.
Speaker 2: It's a YouTube series similar to that called Slave Narratives.
Speaker 1: I think that's.
Speaker 2: Really but this is a slaves telling the experiences of being slaves.
Speaker 3: This ship is fucking crazy.
Speaker 4: And then what he said to before.
Speaker 7: He he hit her with the can, what he said to his homeboy before he hit her with the crawl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they stay in the position. God disgusting.
Speaker 2: If she wasn't a kid, do y'all think y'all would have looked at what car he did differently?
Speaker 3: Nope, still with him, you know?
Speaker 10: Not?
Speaker 5: Hell, No, absolutely not. They deserve to die. I hope they burn in hell. And I hope they burn in hell.
Speaker 3: He asked a question, and.
Speaker 1: It's actually Southern Horrors and the Red Records by Ada B. Wells.
Speaker 2: Ye, all right, let's talk about Jake Bergants. He is the lawyer that plays Matthe mccon Matthew McConaughey plays him as a lawyer.
Speaker 4: Uh, it said.
Speaker 2: It just kind of established Matthew McConaughey as a leading man this film. This established him as a leading role in the film.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because I was trying to remember when what, like, what other what role did he have before this? That it was this was his breakout They say this was his breakout role. He said this movie made him one. What y'all think about his sports?
Speaker 4: I mean it was good, It's basic.
Speaker 1: I thought it was good.
Speaker 8: I think definitely at the end, I think he you know, delivered the good performers at the end.
Speaker 1: Uh. But yeah, I think overall it was it was pretty good. I see why.
Speaker 8: People would connect to him as an actor after watching this.
Speaker 3: Was he being was brigand's being kind of naive and taking this case?
Speaker 1: That's a good question.
Speaker 8: M Yeah, I don't. I don't think he was being naive. I think he later explained that. I think it was guilt. He's from the town, he knows how things get down there, and he also knows that this guy ain't got any money to even afford him, so why even take the case?
Speaker 1: So it was definitely guilt and why he took it.
Speaker 8: And then I don't and I don't think his continuents of it was driven by you know, naivete. I think at that point defiance you.
Speaker 1: Know as well.
Speaker 4: I think just because he's a defense attorney.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you're gonna take defense on it, why not take a defense on something like this where you can see.
Speaker 4: The reason and why.
Speaker 1: It's down there.
Speaker 4: I understand it's an unwinnable case and he knew that, but like.
Speaker 1: Then his.
Speaker 7: The guy performed Lucy and would take cases that was like that too, and he was yeah, but he was.
Speaker 3: Good, got good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah he was still he was.
Speaker 4: Under his lineage, but yeah, not lineage, but he was under his too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, his mentor, Lucian did take cases. He was an activist like lawyer or whatever you want to call him. But and that's what got him.
Speaker 1: So right.
Speaker 7: So I don't know, I just feel like I do agree to stuff that you said, but I also think naturally as a defense lawyer, you're gonna take tough cases.
Speaker 1: I think even Lucian was like, bro, like what are you doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, why would you do this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: You know, and then he realized because yeah, Lucian was question it was like yeah, he was talking it through when he was drinking, was like yeah, I don't know about this one, broud. But then it was like shit. Then on the other hand, you actually could win, he said. But if you lose, he said, he said, I think he said both ways, justice will prevail. That was his thing, So it no matter what if you get him off, justice prevails.
Speaker 1: If he lose, just prevailed.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, all right. From now we get the brothers who can't believe this happened. To two white men in Mississippi and they out for blood and they want the Klan back in town. Did that whole the brother storyline the Klan? Did that work for y'all?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean them dudes. I mean it shows the horror of the clan. But I think more importantly it shows that where the Klan resides then and in present day on the police force and in these offices. They and even the guy that they were talking to, was that Stumps or whatever his name was. He basically said, we're still around. We just transformed. Yeah, and we're in a we're we're in a different form. But if you want to go back to the old school ship, we can do that. Got to go find a couple of folks and we can make it happen. And that's what it did. But yeah, I think very deliberate and showing the cop so people can actually see that that sort of ship happens and and exist.
Speaker 2: We saw a face that we ain't seen in a while because he's on hard times after the shit happened to him. Kevin Space, God, how good he was man, just as an actor in general, I think this kind of is the root of his role and he acted like it's in the House of Cards. This may have been with that side of him originated as far as a role like that. But did y'all think Kevin Spacey did a good job and did the movie do a good job of portraying I'm not sure if he was racist or if the judge was racist, but they did a good job of like walking the line the way you had to think about it.
Speaker 6: I think he was racist, Yeah, in the movie Kevin Spacey, Yeah, he's had a few things that made me think he was racist. I trying to remember what they were now, but he definitely said a couple of things that were Yeah, because when when they were trying to move the courthouse to or try to move the trial to another place, he said something about the all white jury like he was stoked about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just.
Speaker 7: Called them black people. He didn't call them niggas well. He was in a professional setting, he couldn't call them niggers.
Speaker 1: I guess. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't take them as racist.
Speaker 7: I just took him as a lawyer that that that took an opportunity to try to win the case.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: To mendle tomorrow, motherfucker was racist to me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I feel like he would take a case on a black person if you feel like he could win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like he was just racist. I thought he was in to the win.
Speaker 4: The judge.
Speaker 3: I have more questions about.
Speaker 6: The judge I thought was I thought it wasn't towards the end when he started letting.
Speaker 2: That's what made me in the beginning is like this racist motherfucker, But then closer to the end, it was like, well, he's just an asshole for Mississippi, So that that was interesting. Also, we meet Ellen Rourke. She got a rich daddy, She going to law school to old miss and she wanted help with the case.
Speaker 3: Did y'all like Sandra Bullock?
Speaker 7: The second she showed up, I was like, he gonna cheap brom, he gone cheat the second she shut up. But I did like her. She was really good enough.
Speaker 3: He did a good job in this. Yeah you think she did a good job.
Speaker 4: I didn't know if she was necessary watching it best?
Speaker 5: Damn, what do you mean?
Speaker 7: Because what was she like a paralegal or something, or like, what what was her role law? She was in law school, So I'm just like, what was was she necessary? Could have got anybody to do this right, Like was she necessary?
Speaker 2: I think they had to add that for the tension of what Mike said, him cheating on.
Speaker 4: Understand that you don't think I don't think the movie needed that.
Speaker 7: Why Why did the movie need I think the movie needed someone because he It showed that he wasn't Uh, he wasn't capable of winning on his own if he but he.
Speaker 4: Had he had his mentor that he could have got inform me.
Speaker 6: Remember she she was able to go and get the details that he needed, Like she went and stuck in the office and got him that ship.
Speaker 4: Couldn't the other guy do that?
Speaker 5: The drunk guy, he was always drunk.
Speaker 4: Some of his mentor, No, not his mentor with the other guy.
Speaker 7: That guy wasn't really helping his friend. They could have used him to do that, Like why do we have to break Bulleck in Huh, Oliver Platt, Uh, Harry Rix. They could have easily used him to do what they had Sandra Bullock doing. But I think they wanted Sandra Bullock there. It's not only that what she was doing in the courtroom, but to show how this was affecting his life outside of work. Your wife gone you having these temptations of maybe wanting to sleep with this woman, like it made his character less noble because even when they had the conversation with the over lunch and she was like, I thought you were a liberal, a liberal, he was like, I am, I just took a liberal that you are. So it kind of brought him down a notch versus where being the great White Knight.
Speaker 3: I think that's why they put her there.
Speaker 4: Okay, I agree.
Speaker 6: I think I think the the the conversation that they had at the at the diner was very uh pivot as far as why she was in the movie. She thought he was a certain type of way because he took this case, which I did too. But then when you realize like, no, that's not what it is, then you start wondering, Okay, what what are his motivations? Then I'm still not sure what his original motivations were. It sounded to me like he just wanted to prove himself.
Speaker 5: He just wanted to fame, right, That's what I mean, Right, he.
Speaker 6: Wanted to prove himself and get like the famous law. I don't think he gave a fuck about Carl Lee.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 8: But I think the fame that came with it was a byproduct of it, and if he won that case, he would be a made man, right, But it's also a case that you can lose everything, which he was losing everything because the calls were drying up and stuff like that. So I did like that conversation that they had at the table, because it's like he comes across as an ally, but only to a certain point, you know, and sometimes that stuff for fool folks, and which you know, we get a whole conversation about it later. But I think that was really really dope. As far as the other two, I don't know if Kevin Spacey's character was necessarily racist.
Speaker 1: I'm in this city in Mississippi.
Speaker 8: I'm inclined to believe the judge absolutely, and he was buddy buddies with the other guy.
Speaker 1: Kevin Spacey.
Speaker 8: I don't know if his character was racist, but he's selfish and he will uphold racist ideas in order to win a case and make himself look better. But he damn sure don't give it about fuck about black folks, So maybe he is racist.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 8: H And in cases like this in a city like that, urge on the side.
Speaker 2: Of caution the facts, that's one numbers true. They sneak car Lee out to see the cop. He want to tell him he's sorry.
Speaker 4: That was dumb.
Speaker 1: It was when it worked out, but it was stupid. He was like, well, he ain't say shit to him.
Speaker 8: He was like, but then you get up and he was like, yeah, man, you know I wasn't crazy when I did. I knew what I was doing, but I ain't mean to you mean to shoot too? Like he was like, my bad, But yeah, I wasn't insane.
Speaker 1: I was completely I was like, bro, you.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 2: But did you like how he told him during the trial when he told him, asking me, you think I should go to jail?
Speaker 3: I think I was smart.
Speaker 8: It worked, so yeah, I don't know if that was like part of the plan. I don't know if he intended to allow that to happen, because you know, they were friends. I think he and that guy were actual, real friends. I think he said he used to play together versus you know, the attorney. But I think because he knew that guy had a daughter that he would immediately connect to him, and because they were friends, I think that helped because to a certain degree, he didn't necessarily see colors. If they played together as kids, he as we saw him as just the person who the colony, the guy that got his knee shot off.
Speaker 2: Oh it said here hero, let him go, you let him free. He's a hero. Did you have something for that?
Speaker 7: I don't know if I had anything before the I feel like I did, but to ain't it's I don't think it's important. But nah, yeah, I liked him here, like like, yeah, I liked I like what he added to this part. It's like that that he got it, he got why he you know, he tried to de finished. You know, his daughter, he's like shit, if I had one, you know, I did the same.
Speaker 10: You would love to have more content from frames per second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion and film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film, all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second, where there are two tiers you can choose from that's patreon dot com forward slash frames per second.
Speaker 2: Talk more about the courtroom, because that was the majority of the movie took place. I liked all the courtroom stuff like this made the movie for me. I thought all it was doing extremely well. I love the court procedural. Anyway, as far as the TV show, did the courtroom stuff work for y'all? Do y'all think that Matthew Baccatae was a good lawyer?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 5: I think all the courtroom scenes really work. They were They were tense.
Speaker 2: You know when the rioting outside that was fire on yeah, free call, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: That was That was a bit unbelievable.
Speaker 6: It was like, okay, you're having a trial where a negro killed a two black or two white men. During the trial, a KKK dude comes up and some other Negro on the roof threw a fucking molotop at him and killed him, and y'all just moved.
Speaker 5: Just kept going.
Speaker 4: I was like, wait a minute, please, right, this.
Speaker 6: Is there a part two before y'all talk about what that motherfucker did.
Speaker 2: Oh that's funny courtroom saying anything from court room right?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: I just thought about it I did think about another scene when they to their strong Sandra Bullock up and then the one guy took her down.
Speaker 4: Did they did they tap into that at all?
Speaker 1: Like why why he was.
Speaker 6: He was feeling guilty about being he remember he's the one that called the cops before.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Yeah, he was kind of acting hesitant when he was hanging up, hanging her up too.
Speaker 1: So these races by pure pressure.
Speaker 6: Or he was trying he was trying to leave. Maybe he had changed his mind. You know that happens. You know, people joined the Klan, they do a lot of fucked up ship and then they're like, well, I don't know why I did this.
Speaker 5: I want to get out, but the clans, like the fucking crips.
Speaker 7: You can't just leave blood and blood out, That's right. Yeah, Like I forget that dude's name, but there was that black dude that was famous for going and talking to CLAM members and getting them to quit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 6: Think his his his role actually made a lot of sense and it helped the movie.
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 5: Can't even talks about the court room.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I'm I do kind of go back with Mike I was watching it and then he was on top of roof. He actually shot a National guard and nothing happened because the.
Speaker 1: Judge are like what the hell and like, yeah, bro, it's.
Speaker 4: Like, uh, but he shot a national guard.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because remember after the first big fight between the two parties, they brought the National Guardian or some type of military end to help out and.
Speaker 3: Keep her southerly.
Speaker 1: And then Keith for Selin was on the roof.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that was keeper southernly. I thought you were saying the black dude killed the.
Speaker 8: Guy up, you know, because they weren't putting up with that mess. But now I think the court scenes were good. I think you know, the way they took out the prosecutors psychiatrists, it was dope. And then the way they took out the other guy that the defense had took him off the board too.
Speaker 5: That was slimey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, especially when you come to find out that it was his wife and she was seventeen years that was yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was, but you know it worked, I could explain.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but he got the line of shit, you knew that ship, but it got a sponge, so.
Speaker 3: He didn't think nobody knew that yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: But these attorneys are good. And then you have which I think is a good like display of like how juries can come together, because he was like, that's the jury of my peers.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, it's a rap.
Speaker 8: But then they are defying judges orders, which the judge knew, and this one guy who's racist like.
Speaker 1: All right, well what we're gonna do. We're really gonna let this do walk.
Speaker 8: It's just interesting, like even when they were having some of the court discussions, you know, he was like, we're not trying the rape, We're trying the murder of two white people.
Speaker 1: And that was the thing that they kept going back to.
Speaker 8: What happened to her was completely just ignored and looked over, and they were really focused on what happened to the white people, the two white guys that did this horrific thing to this black woman, but that didn't even matter. All white people saw was a black peoper that killed two white people in cold blood and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did y'all blame his wife relocating?
Speaker 3: She needed to go, she had too because of the danger.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they were burning across in front of you are I'm surprised she took her that long ago. You know, I've seen one of the motherfuckers before. She is crazy, you know, burning across. So yeah, and these guys this was a very violent version of the Klan, and you know, this was some of the things that they did. And once you cross over, then, as they showed in the movie, you're a nigger lover, so you're no longer one of us, so not Yeah, all that shit don't matter.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you're not a white person to me. Yeah.
Speaker 8: So they had to get out because they would have killed them. They already beat up, but they killed.
Speaker 6: But they moved along with that a little too quick for me too. For two and a half hour long move. They killed that woman's husband. She did, oh she didn't.
Speaker 4: She would changing a loution.
Speaker 1: She went to Lucier real quick.
Speaker 3: He said, you don't need no help.
Speaker 5: But she wasn't cheating with Lucia.
Speaker 1: She did.
Speaker 4: The course together before indication.
Speaker 2: She was cheated with you because she was because remember Matthew McConaughey and the other dude was sucking with her, and she was like that, I am a married woman, been married for upstanding southern woman of all my such and such.
Speaker 4: We don't know she was fucking on Lucian.
Speaker 1: We got when she asked him to walk into I take you to the car.
Speaker 6: I thought that was just a slight Matthew McConaughey, you don't need no help, Lucia.
Speaker 5: He definitely, yeah he did.
Speaker 1: That's why he sold it up.
Speaker 4: She was back, and but she's back on the market ship.
Speaker 1: That's all it took was the clan.
Speaker 6: They still just moved along with that, unless she was responsible for getting him killed, unless.
Speaker 4: That had nothing just because she worked there.
Speaker 8: That was was the one that did that Forrett. And she tried to tell I'm like, hey man, you're gonna get all of us killed. Like she said, Bud can't take another art, he can't take another stroke. That was the world like artist.
Speaker 5: I did not expect them to kill him.
Speaker 8: I do, I do one but but but Bud probably could have. Little Bud just didn't want to come back.
Speaker 6: I heard you was fucking loose. Go ahead, take me to Heaven. Take me, go ahead and take me to heave machines.
Speaker 1: I'm doing.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we had that, they had the family. Max came back. Everybody's trying to convince Matthew E. Connore, man get this ship. Up the na A c P can take you. Actually, what y'all think about the na A CP in The Preacher?
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 6: That scene was crazy and it seemed very realistic. It seemed like and I like how Sam Jackson played him. He's like, I can give me all that money and if you don't, I'm gonna tell everybody.
Speaker 5: You are fraud.
Speaker 1: This ain't all of them, but just someone that should I be talking about too. Yeah, you know that's yeah.
Speaker 4: But then it did feel like al sharp, like, yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Black do Every Preacher was on the front lines every time out to the free call.
Speaker 1: You know what good thing is?
Speaker 8: He never left though, and maybe because he was like, man, if I if I'm not on the if I'm not out here, but you know, he still was there. But you know, you think about like, I mean, it's it's unfortunate to see that, and you hope that in most.
Speaker 1: Instances that doesn't happen.
Speaker 8: Like these guys don't have money to afford lawyers. So and his wife was starving and they're going to the church they opened. They give them a seat and they're not even thinking about right, which is part of what they're there to do and help it wasn't until the NAACP came by and was like, hey man, you know we're taking a good donation two thousand dollars and you're not giving any of that to the wife administration fees, right, and the way he started saying that, I was like, you know, it's like you know, and then you know you have the white lawyer.
Speaker 1: Rhiner was there and his crew.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I think they showed like very you know, instances of how that stuff happens and how these you know, sort of enterities can get corrupted by money. Talking about seven thousand dollars. I mean the timing was perfect because he was out of money. The wife and kids didn't have any money. She was He was like, oh, I can help you. Don't worry about I got you, like, you're gonna help me.
Speaker 5: You in Chail, I'm gonna figure something, baby, And he did.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: That was good?
Speaker 4: I came through right.
Speaker 1: Look at God. You know.
Speaker 2: I'll close us out with the two best scenes I feel like in the movie, the first one being Matthew McConaughey feeling and he thinks they're gonna lose.
Speaker 3: He wanted to take a plead.
Speaker 2: He go talk to call league and call league give him some straightening, and he said.
Speaker 3: Man, nigga, you're not my friend.
Speaker 2: You the enemy, and the only reason that I hired you is because you the enemy. I thought this was a great scene. Good actor by Samuel Jackson, great message from character to character. You didn't think the acting was good, Mike, Great message from character to character. What didn't you like about it?
Speaker 1: Mike?
Speaker 6: I'm not a fan of sam Jackson like that, not in dramatic roles. He can be fucking nick fury, you know what I'm saying. He can do comedy type shits, but I'm not a fan of him when he's like.
Speaker 5: Doing a deep role. No, because he just he just sounded like a country fucking what.
Speaker 7: I'm saying that I didn't get any depth from it, Like I feel like if this was a different actor, I probably would have been.
Speaker 4: A little bit more like the Zel No. That's funny, you know, I'm trying to think of.
Speaker 5: Who I would have.
Speaker 2: I think the depth came from, Not to speak for you, my perception of it was they thought Carley was just dummy. It's just dumb black country as dude with all these kids and going to Matthew McConaughey's character earlier, you think that he had some type of fondness or like he's looking at him with like with Matthew kind of say so with friends. I know you called I love the depth in the scene of him like I don't fuck with you, Like I don't fuck with you at all, and I want you to really understand that and go use that to get me off of this fucking charge.
Speaker 3: That's where I thought.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but he checked him early in the movie when he was like, hey man, yeah, ship were making a good team bro, right, So he checked him early. So Bragance was under this sort of this this misconception that they were, you know, homies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he had he had worked with them before for his brother, right, first brother.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, where was his brother should I don't know, he's probably one of them negroes. Good question, but but yeah, so that's what it was. But that was a transactional relationship, and you know, and so he called him out of all this to like our daughters don't play together, like none of that shit happens.
Speaker 3: I ain't never even seen you on my part of time.
Speaker 8: Right, And then that's what but Roy arc rourke called him out too. It's like, it's because you come to this place and in the black side of town and eat from the restaurant, don't make you like a real ally to them. You know, you're just like putting on this sort of invisible black face by coming here, you know, And that's what it is.
Speaker 1: So I think I forgot. I completely forgot.
Speaker 8: About the way this scene was written and the dialogue in it, and I thought it was really really good. It's one of the conversations and things that we talk about when you know, like the sort of finding ways to end racism is that it has to come from other white people and that's the only way they can connect. And he was like, the only way you can understand is because you are one of them. And you have white people that seem to not understand that they are part of the system, integrated into the system, whether they want to admit it or not. And just because you go to a restaurant doesn't mean that you know, you're not part of it, especially when he's a differ for type of liberal, which happens then other liberals. So so yeah, so now this this, this was good.
Speaker 1: Now he ain't like it. He ain't like to be told that ship Rod. He was like, you're a bad guy.
Speaker 2: Use your bad guy powers to get me off of this. Did you like to sing?
Speaker 1: Right? I did.
Speaker 7: I thought it was an interesting perspective. I wasn't expecting that. I wasn't expecting him to tell him that, Like I don't, we're not we're not friends.
Speaker 4: So but I feel like he took it on the chain. I feel like he accepted.
Speaker 5: That he did.
Speaker 6: He was a little offended because he made that little smart ass comment later, yeah, shout and slapped him for that.
Speaker 7: What was the smart comedy man when he was like, oh, remember I'm the enemy and then like walked off. Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 4: You know what I meant. We're not doing this for free, shut up exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you were my friend, it will be pro bono.
Speaker 8: But I think also right to your point, that really resonated with him because it allowed him to kind of check himself and then coming back to like, why did he take this case?
Speaker 7: Not being fake about it? Just just just accept what it actually is. Yeah, and that's going to make you better. Job Like you up here being pretentious and being like I'm doing this for.
Speaker 8: It's pretty Yeah, he lost everything you almost lost your damn dog.
Speaker 1: Was Matts came.
Speaker 5: I was too, that was.
Speaker 4: Come on boy, come on man, come on boy.
Speaker 7: I thought, yeah, so that was real, So that that actually happened. Yeah, I really ran away and he came back. Yeah I thought he got bro I thought I thought he was gone.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, wait what I thought he was burned in the fire for real?
Speaker 1: I don't know. He came back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you thought you was dreaming.
Speaker 5: No, that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 4: That really happened.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like like, yeah, I was surprised when Mats came back. I was surprised when Max came back.
Speaker 4: He thought it was a dream. Yeah, it was a dream, he thought, because one of the other dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what are you talking about?
Speaker 8: If he went up there trying to royal or he could have been there that he could have the house, he should.
Speaker 5: Have went ahead and fun. That was my biggest issue.
Speaker 1: What she was. She was scumming. She was trying to sleep with that man.
Speaker 4: No, he was ready and soul wish.
Speaker 1: She saw that. She was like, I gotta give me some of this.
Speaker 4: She was like, you want to kiss me? Right? He said, yeah, that was cold.
Speaker 7: He was just like it was after she was beat up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't want to catch her either. But before that, I'm sucking.
Speaker 1: You want me to stay? He was like, yeah, I do, but that's why he should go.
Speaker 4: He look, but he had the blockers up.
Speaker 1: He was trying, she was trying. He was.
Speaker 5: He should have went ahead and hit.
Speaker 4: He was like, his wife was cute.
Speaker 8: Love his wife, and his wife back. That was actually joud. Yeah, yeah, his wife came back. But this was after the conversation, and that's when he realized and she realized.
Speaker 1: She was like, oh, wait a minute.
Speaker 8: You took this bit because you envisioned what this would be like if this was our daughter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a good moment. Yeah, that was a really, really good moment.
Speaker 2: Which led us to the closing arguments. I think the car league scene in that moment leading to his closing argument of walking them, having him close their eyes, walking them through all of these events being super descriptive, and then the legendary line they'll imagine if she was white.
Speaker 4: That that was the line. And then when he said, yeah, I wish that, you know, I hope they burn in hell.
Speaker 1: That one, and that I just lost the case to it. I love that though.
Speaker 3: I remember the first time I heard that, I was like, damn, it was cold.
Speaker 5: That's the only thing I knew from this movie. Yes, they deserve to die.
Speaker 4: I hope they burn it out.
Speaker 5: I don't know what he was talking about, class I was I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Sam. Did you like to close the statement?
Speaker 1: Mic?
Speaker 5: It was long. I didn't know they could do closing statements they are that long.
Speaker 4: But it was good. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was a good idea for him to I'm torn by the meaning, like because the whole like, imagine if they were white. I get it, Like, you know, he knows that they can't humanize a black person, so they have to imagine that it was a white person. I just don't know if that would work for a racist ass jury because they just be like, Okay, imagine, close your eyes she's this and it was beat up.
Speaker 4: Now I imagine she was white, but she wasn't right.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying, dude, she opened your eyes up, maste.
Speaker 6: I don't see a white girl. I see a nigglat. So I don't know how much I mean this. I know the scene was supposed to hit, and I'm sure it hit when it came out, but it was a good closing argument. I don't think it would have worked, especially that racist one when he was like the guy that was like all that nigga's dead. It wouldn't have worked on him at all.
Speaker 5: The the win it was wanting to take the the vote. Yeah, the one that was like, let's go ahead and get this through.
Speaker 1: That dead.
Speaker 6: I don't think he'd have changed his mind when they said imagine she why he would have been the one that was like, bro, but she's not.
Speaker 5: But we were supposed to believe that that swayed the whole jury.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah too, because it had to be.
Speaker 4: They had already said guilty.
Speaker 1: Maybe he just realized he was like little fucking shit.
Speaker 3: Goddamn it, he got everybody else.
Speaker 1: It's eleven. I'm not gonna be the one. I'm ready to go home.
Speaker 6: They showed his face and like they zoomed it on his face, and I was like, that motherfucker not buying this.
Speaker 1: He wasn't. He barely moved his face.
Speaker 4: If they tried this, I did when you asked me about the court stuff.
Speaker 7: I did think it was funny that Kevin Space kept kept trying to keep it on.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: Look, we ain't talking about I don't know nothing about it, about the murder. Why y'all keep bringing this up?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was good. That can't right with your main thing.
Speaker 2: He didn't you talk about that figuring up old ship thought the closing arguments.
Speaker 1: I liked it.
Speaker 7: I thought it was strong, even even now because I forgot that he said that at the end. So when he said it, I was like, Okay, yeah, I can imagine it's really hitting back in there or whatever. So I thought it was cool, Like that's what he was really descripted. Oh okay, this was hard to hear. This was hard to hear. That's what I was thinking too.
Speaker 4: Like hearing like her wound was damaged for the rest of her life.
Speaker 7: And kid, I can't have kids, and yeah I'm sad man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Unated on her was why is he being so descripted they were trying to make see it.
Speaker 7: I mean, like the writer like, I'm wondering if this was like based on a real case or something thing like that.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, got you I can imagine probably. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is when we get the details of everything that happen when it broke the branch, when it broke throwing the can flesh cut into the bone. Throwing off the bridge.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 6: I didn't know they did all that. Threw her ass off a bridge. Someone catcher.
Speaker 7: No, she landed in the water and was still able to swim her ass, Yeah, because.
Speaker 8: It probably wasn't It probably was almost like a Now it had to be.
Speaker 1: They had to have.
Speaker 8: Some water because I was thinking it's like a small ditch or something that people can walk through. But either way or maybe somebody saw it, I don't know, but nah. And you know, when you don't value black life and you know you're gonna walk like, yeah, you can do whatever, because you know in this town, yeah, they're all up in there. Twenty six percent of them are over there, and they're not going to send us to jail, you know, And where's the proof?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 8: Even to this day, this scene, still watching The Last Night still got me, Bro. I was like, dug it out, yeah, and dug it out, bro, because it's a very emotional scene. I think there was an elevation to it having read some of the stories that I read in that book, real instances of stuff happening like this and this fictional instant which you know, we all know that this stuff that they used to do and there's no justice and even now in our modern day society where we see a variation of this happening now, and.
Speaker 1: You know, him going back to.
Speaker 8: Connecting everything, back to what Sam said, what Carl said to Bragance, is that the only way you can connect is to connect the way you connected, and the way you connected was you imagined that that was your daughter.
Speaker 1: That's why you took the case. That's what your wife told you.
Speaker 8: That's the only way you're going to get them to understand and see what happened, you know, because they're still fit stating on the fact that a two.
Speaker 1: White men was shot, not why they were shot.
Speaker 8: And that's why Rod, you know, of course why he was like, nah, we can't talk about how we got here. Were just gotta talking about where we're at. And it was, it was, it was, it was.
Speaker 1: It was good. It was good.
Speaker 8: And I think it still hit for me to this day, you know, And and I loved him.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 8: He set it up nice, the palls where he just stopped and earybody just kind of looked up.
Speaker 1: Even the judge was like, ship, we got them.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: It was like god, dang, all right, fine, all right, and then carly Is announced The Innocent movie in to the crowd cheering.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Any final thoughts, What was.
Speaker 7: The whole point of the dude selling my mama voted for you? So I figured if a nigger was on.
Speaker 4: TV, it was m.
Speaker 8: I think also, like, they'll give you a vote even if they're racist.
Speaker 7: If it's that's what I'm saying, So that the point of that scene.
Speaker 2: I think it was because say, you wanted the good niggas because we know you from football, you played football, you're good like that.
Speaker 4: Was yeah, So that's that's like I said. I think that was good writing.
Speaker 7: Was there because you wonder like, how how does a black cop become a share for this football, racist ass town.
Speaker 8: Yeah, keeping Sutherland was trying to get out of there. I hated it with him, but it was like, hey, hey, we gotta talk. Was like, hey, you get your ass over there too.
Speaker 1: He gonna like he was shot.
Speaker 5: He was saying in the back like yeah, let's get him.
Speaker 1: Motherfuckers your ass over whatever? What you're doing?
Speaker 3: All right, y'all? That was our review for the anniversary.
Speaker 1: Well he went to play with the kids.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was that was I know, Rob probably teared up, and I didn't like cleaning white as over there.
Speaker 4: This was Corny's hell.
Speaker 7: Man, what hero, what he brings? It seems like some whole coddler, wholesome ship you would like.
Speaker 1: He don't know better because he went over there in the white shirt too.
Speaker 4: He never had ribs like black.
Speaker 1: He didn't know she's gonna be red with it and.
Speaker 3: They're gonna throw that peach collar in the trees.
Speaker 6: You know they are right in the raisins in it.
Speaker 4: But I had to thought about you. He he got invited to the cookout.
Speaker 11: I was like, y'all, this is where it came from, this movie, where that statement came from.
Speaker 5: Because but the thing is, he wasn't really invited.
Speaker 4: He was shut up. This is how that go That's not how that goes. I was just told about it. You know, I really want you to come.
Speaker 11: On your daughter, right, It's like, I really want you to What would happened we run If you showed up on my doorstep, I would get spray.
Speaker 8: He he's a nigger lover in that town for a lot. You might and hang out with him. Remember they were calling his daughter, and Nigga loves you every time he come home crying.
Speaker 5: The daughter was like, I don't even like him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got a little friend.
Speaker 6: That was cute, But that scene of Sam Jackson and Matthew McConaughey looking at each other was uncomfortably long.
Speaker 5: It felt like the diddy means or the.
Speaker 6: Dude staring yeah, because it kept going back and forth.
Speaker 7: I was like, all right, bro, we get it. Are you gonna say something? Sam Jackson, I've been in jail for a minute.
Speaker 5: Oh lord, oh man. That is the frame per second podcast and a ton.
Speaker 4: Of time to kill. Now there's a time to thrill out.