Speaker 1: Live from vall Hartbeiner and the Crossroads of America. It's Tony Katz today. The vast majority of people in America know nothing about the Great Barrington Declaration. And the reason they don't know about it is because, well, it didn't get much play. Oh it was outrageously important. It was doctors and health professionals and scientists saying, you know what we're doing regarding COVID. This was in the middle of COVID, in the heat of COVID. This is not in any way smart or proper or good. This is a horrible way to go about things. We don't know what doctor Fauci or doctor Berks or any of these other people pretend that they are doing, but they're gonna hurt a lot of people. There's a better way to do this. And as you know, and I know, and we know, many of those messages got silenced, whether it be from some of the leading doctors and scientists and health professionals, or whether it be you asking a basi of question on social media. Tony Cats Tony Katz today, good to be with you. Well. In the treasure Trove of Things, the Senator Ran Paul released from the diary of Anthony Fauci, Doctor Anthony Fauci emails, etc. Was this notification? You can find it. I've got it over at tonykats dot com. This email that Fauci sent to doctor Deborah Burks, you know, the one who wears the scarves, asking her to come out against the Great Barrington Declaration. Phil Magnus joins me right now. His work is at the Independent Institute, where he is a Senior Fellow and the David J. Threau Chair in Political Economy. He also works with the American Institute for Economic Research, where he was formerly the fa Hiak Chair in Economics at Economic History, which means he knows a lot of things that we don't, which is good because this does have a lot of economic connotations to it. He is also the author of the sixteen nineteen project Myth and Cracks in the Ivory Tower The Moral Mess of Higher Education, both of which touch on the concept of what it is we are told versus what it is that is. Phil Magnus, thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it. You got a heck of a resume there. But I want to discuss the Great Barrington Declaration. Let's start where we start, which is what is the Great Barrington Declaration.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, I was one of a very small number of people that was actually in the room when the thing was signed in October twenty twenty. And this was a document basically challenging the idea that lockdowns were the way to deal with the pandemic, that pointed out that lockdowns not only were on a very swim evidentiary basis they didn't work, but on top of that, they cost all sorts of social harms, economic harms. They put people out of work, caused mental health issues, kept kids out of schools. And this was a document that came together during the second wave of COVID. If you remember, in fall twenty twenty, the cases were ticking up again and all of the people who had locked us down back in the spring started revisiting those ideas, and in some cases many states and many countries are in the world, they did re enact lockdowns again in the fall of twenty twenty. But what happened is we got a group of scientists together, and this was Jay Bodicheria, who's now Fauci's replacement boss figure at the NIH. Donald Trump appointed him in part because of his reputation entered this Martin Koldorf of Harvard at the time, and sinetra gup To of Oxford. So three physicians came together, we held a conference on the case against lockdowns, and they articulated those principles in a short to sake summary statement to challenge the return of this policy that Sugi and Burks and some of the other figures in the so called public health establishment were pushing at the time.
Speaker 1: One of the things the Great Barrington Declaration states, and Great Barrington is where air is located. Correct, that's the specific town that it's in. It reads coming from both the left and right, and around the world. We have devoted our careers to protecting people. Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long term public health. The result, to name a few, include lower childhood vaccination rates worse than cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings, and deteriorating mental health lead into greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class in younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice. When we think of the time October twenty twenty. As you're describing it, sir, this was a very near radical thing to say everything we're hearing from on high is wrong. It's a danger. Let us say so it gets signed. What was the reaction and the response to the Great Barrington Declaration.
Speaker 2: Initially it was very positive. It kind of went viral on the internet, got picked up in some major news media sources. I think the Wall Street Journal covered it. Fox News picked it up, and they pointed out that this says, finally somebody is challenging Anthony Fauci and this policy that he has been pushing for several months now that doesn't seem to be working, doesn't seem to be addressing the pandemic, and oh, by the way, it has all these other costs and consequences. So that was the initial reactions, generally positive, kind of recognizing, hey, we could finally have the scientific debate we were denied in the spring. And then all of a sudden, this is probably about three or four days after the decoration was signed, the media turned outright hostile against it, attacks on the authors, calling them frings epidemiologists. We got deboosted on the Google links, Google searches, from it. It used to appear on the top page along with news media coverage of it, and then suddenly, all of a sudden, it's on page four behind crazy conspiracy blogs announcing the Great bearings and declarations going to kill us. All so very rapid switch in the public discussion around it, and it was kind of mystifying at the time of why that had happened, because all we were asking for was a public debate over the science, a public debate over whether lockdowns actually did what they promised to do.
Speaker 1: Talking to Phil Magnus, Senior Fellow at the Independent Institute, David J. Throw Chair and Political Economy, and his work with Aier the American Institute for Economic Research, where he was formerly the Fa Hyak Chair in Economics and Economic History, and we can certainly tie in a lot of what we saw in the COVID days to what we have seen in economic reality today. But there's also an economic reality of what we have done to generations and what it is we were doing in trying to from other groups silencing this kind of talk you talk about, all of a sudden it was removed from search engines, etc. This brings us to this email that doctor Fauci sent out to Deborah Burks saying, so, just a heads up. Over the past week, I've come out very strongly publicly against the Great Barrington A declaration. This was from October sixteenth, twenty twenty, and asking her to do the same. To come out against this. In a world of so called science people can be hey, I disagree. What was it like for him to come out against it? How did that play out?
Speaker 2: Well, we found out after the fact. You know, all this sudden explosion of hate and demonization that was occurring around the Great Bearrington Declaration, it actually had a cause, and Anthony Fauci was a major player in that cause. I filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the NIH office where Fauci worked, way back in twenty twenty one, and it actually kind of opened the door to looking into this. So all the committee investigation that Ran Paul has pursued ever since then, a couple of the lawsuits around it. Kind of the starting point was the discovery of an email, and this is an email from Fauci's boss at the time, Francis Collins, to him saying, this Great Barrington Declaration things going around, has all these fringe epidemiologists that are challenging lockdowns and colins ordered Fauci said, I want you to write and publish a devastating published takedown of these authors, and basically as a directive to get this underway because we need to counter it. And Fauci, it turns out, is that new email we got from Rand Paul's committee and new foyas that have come true, he actually engages in a very el avert coordinated campaign to smear the Great Marrington Declaration in the media, in the press, behind the scenes in the White House. He is a consummate political actor, not a scientist, is what all these emails tend to confirm. He's not looking at the evidence on lockdowns or the arguments that were being made. He's circulating political editorials in favor of lockdowns and calling friends in the White House to try to suppress anti lockdown voices. So one of the members of the COVID task force that was a skeptic of lockdowns is doctor Scott Atlas, who's from Stanford University. He was brought in to kind of be a counter voice to Fauci, And it turns out, right around the time of the Great Bearrington declaration, Atlas, who had been favorable to it, gets on Fauci's bad side, and Fauci starts this campaign with Verks to try to get him fired and removed from the COVID Task Force. Because they don't want any dissent internally. That's pushing for a document like the Great Bearrington Declaration. They wanted to be able to call the shots on lockdowns. So rather than this being Fauci the science, as he often declared himself to be, it's actually Sauci the political operative who is trying to maintain control of the narrative and control over the policy and steer it toward lockdowns.
Speaker 1: So the reason I speak to you certainly your connection to the Great Barrington Declaration. But this view of this in terms of the economics, right, economics we think of his dollars and cents, But economics is taking a look at a situation and asking ourselves, how can we predict the consequences?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: This how Milton Friedman would describe economics. How do you predict the consequences of changes in circumstances? And I do find myself to be a Milton Friedman guy Thomas Sowell guy. I would be more of an fa hiat guy. But just the reading is so incredibly boring. It's so just if he could write the way he would think, I would be a happy man, but the writing was just tedious. Is I'll get out? But we talked about the economic consequences, to which there were none that came into the thinking. And it seemed to me that the Great Barrington Declaration dealt with all of the potential consequences, and doctor Fauci, doctor Burke's mainstream media cared not about consequences, but cared about fear for a purpose. Is that the correct assessment in your view?
Speaker 2: I think it is absolutely the case. You know, as you mentioned, incentives matter, secondary and tertiary effects of decisions we make. They matter. And one of the things that happened with the lockdowns, it's not just shutting society down to keep this disease supposedly contained, although we find out that doesn't work either under lockdowns, like the whole theory behind it was wrong. Shutting down society also means that people can't go to work. They also can't go out to the store unless they're wearing a mask and walking in the direction of the stickers on the floor hours. Non essential businesses are shut down, and you start thinking about this, what are some of the consequences of that. That means that if I'm living paycheck to paycheck and suddenly my job, my business, my restaurant that I work at, is no longer allowed to be open, that means I no longer have a paycheck coming in. And if you're sitting there in COVID and say you're a reporter for the New York Times, you can do your job at home on a laptop. You can watch Netflix, you can get Uber Eats or door Dash or something to deliver your meals, and life is actually pretty good. It's not disrupted. But if you're just working, you know, paycheck to paycheck and a service industry job, and you're basically being told you're no longer essential, you're out of work, and maybe you have a rent payment or a car payment due next month, well you're out of luck. This is a real economic strain, and we saw it early in the pandemic. The states that had the more ristrictive lockdown policies shot up in unemployment. You had very clear state level measures of this that the worst the lockdown state was, the higher the unemployment rate. And states that remained relatively open or that ended the lockdowns early on, like Florida, well, their economies rebounded and this has tangible effects on the quality of life and the ability to even get by for working class Americans, and those were completely disregarded by Fauci and people I would call the laptop class who could have the luxury of working from home and ordering Uber eats and sitting there on their laptops while the service industry suffered.
Speaker 1: Is there concrete data you can point to regarding we did this and here is the results we see it. We take a look at inflation right now, which certainly I could have with you the conversation regarding whether or not tariffs are still leading to that as an increase in cost and keeping too much cash in the system. We could take a look at specific job sectors and see whether or not they've recovered and whether or not it has been investment in AI that's actually been leading to certain issues as opposed to damage done. We could take a look at education outcomes as well. What can be pointed to as this is the result of this shutdown and here is the damage done, or maybe you can tell me the other way, Well, here's a surprising success that came from it, and if the damage is done, what does it take to get out of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, So I guess there's two direct implications of COVID, and one was the immediate that sort of mentioned is like the shutting down of the economy caused people to lose their jobs. And yes, when we reopened those jobs came back, but we were more or less operating in an enforced recession for about a year during COVID. That means people are worse off regardless. That means that not only is it e arm to disruption to their everyday lives, and we saw that in the unemployment data. We saw that in the economy essentially crashed in early twenty twenty and it took a while to rebound. The second, the longer term effect is well, what did we do in response? Well, politicians of course panicked when the economy was shut down, when people were closed out of their job, says what we need to pass stimulus checks, We need to create all these government programs to hold people over. If we're going to lock them down, let's throw them a bone. Basically, So we had the succession of these stimulus checks that were payouts essentially done on debt from the US government. There wasn't any revenue to pay for it, but it was just to hold people over, and those stimulus checks basically get absorbed into the macroeconomic situation of the federal government and become one of the major emphasises in twenty twenty two. So a couple of years later, in the inflationary crisis, we dumped a bunch of money in to the economy, and we pretended as if it was, you know, basically no big deal and it would take care of itself and work its way through the system. Well, Joe Biden mismanaged the inflationary crisis because it was all supposed to be transitory and passed through. And here we are, you know, four years later, still dealing with the repercussions of that, which traces back to the stimulus checks, traces back to policies that we had to enact during COVID as a result of the fact that we shut down the entire economy.
Speaker 1: Phil Magnus he is senior fellow at the Independent Institute David J. Throachair and Political Economy, and his work at AIRE The American Institute for Economic Research, where he was the fa Hiak Chair. I appreciate you taking the time to be with us, give us the breakdown. We'll talk economics in the future. I hope more to get to keep it here. This is Tony Kax today