Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another episode of The Frame Second Podcast. I am your host with the evening. My name is Mike. Next Man, I have Spike, Next Spike, I have Ken Can, I.
Speaker 4: Have Rod, and we are gonna be giving our thoughts on brooking for a dream. This is the you say, twenty years twenty five year anniversary, which is crazy crazy crazy crazy.
Speaker 3: So let's do a quick around the room. I'm a I'm anna end on Spike.
Speaker 4: But Rod, I assume this is not your favorite, your first time seeing this movie?
Speaker 1: What do you what do you think of this movie? Very creatively done movie?
Speaker 3: Nah, I man, they did. They did some some really cool.
Speaker 1: Stuff with filmmaking here, I mean and storytelling honestly.
Speaker 3: Uh so, yeah, this has definitely.
Speaker 1: Been one of those. I think this is like one of those first.
Speaker 5: Artsy movies I've seen, like A twenty four was art like, kind of like your artsie like that. This is probably my interest. I want to see my introduction. I'm sure I'll see some stuff before this, but yeah, it's definitely one of the first ones I saw that was kind of artsy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, no, I enjoyed that this then, and I think it still holds up today.
Speaker 1: Honestly, what about you, Ken?
Speaker 2: This was my first time watching this movie, and it felt like I was on drugs watching I watched it late Saturday night, early Sunday morning. Halfway through I was starting to fall asleep. But it was just more just late than anything. But it was a lot like going on. It was for neetic. It was chaotic, you know, and I think, of course all that was very intentional. So I do agree with a lot of what you're saying about it. The story felt disjointed, even though you can understand what was going on.
Speaker 6: It was just just constantly moving, moving, moving, moving, and they he really put you into visually audibly to a certain degree, the world of being hooked on something, on an addiction and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So overall I thought it was it was fine. You know. I can see how at that moment in.
Speaker 2: Two thousand maybe this was like, oh my god, this is like amazing, you know, But visually how he shot and edited and all those stuff, I canna understand the hype behind it.
Speaker 1: But I'm cool on it. Oh you're cool on it? Okay. Yeah, it didn't feel like I missed out on anything.
Speaker 3: Really, Nah, spiked do you feel like you missed o?
Speaker 7: God, No, I could understand like what Ken was saying as to why a lot of people would have liked it because how differently that it was done in the year two thousand. But now I feel like there's much more stuff maybe the stem from this or just that's better than this, that tells the story like in this type of way, like this just joy to just like take you right in the in the story. I don't know why I've been in the patent when it's same, but for some reason, like uncut gems or something like that, it reminded me of just being in the phonetic pace of it stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I disagree with y'all big time. This movie is incredible. I think this really captures how addicts are inspite you should know this very well being from that.
Speaker 1: Uh this really I mean any.
Speaker 4: Addict that I've met and actually become sort of friends with these motherfuckers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Agree, God, this was and the relationship with the mother and then the way that they filmed it, I thought, everything is just this movie is incredible. It's incredible, and I believe chat correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was the first time we saw Marlon Wallie's doing something.
Speaker 1: Drama, drama related.
Speaker 4: I'm almost positive this was his kind of breakout dramatic role and.
Speaker 3: He killed it.
Speaker 1: He was better than Jared Letto to me. Yeah, job, I like Jared Letto to.
Speaker 3: Him, and him and Jennifer Connolly and the mom I forget her name.
Speaker 2: She was one moment And that was way in the beginning.
Speaker 1: We was doing that crackhead dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah records, yeah, yeah, but it was both of them and so but that was it.
Speaker 1: That was like it. That wasn't really a lot of that after that.
Speaker 7: It reminded me of my boy from Joungle Fever.
Speaker 3: Sam Jackson.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Day, all right, well let's go ahead and get on into it.
Speaker 1: Don't get her into a day.
Speaker 4: It starts off with us meeting Sarah go Goldfarb and her son Harry. Harry's an addict who is taking Sarah TV to get hair with his boy Tyrone, after which Sarah immediately goes down there to buy the TV back. So, Spike, how did you think, what'd you think about how this opens?
Speaker 7: What what is happening right now?
Speaker 1: As far as just the.
Speaker 7: Scene and the tone. I was kind of compelled. But again, maybe if I've seen this in two thousand, then it would have been different. But I was just like, God, what am I gonna get into?
Speaker 3: Damn Ken?
Speaker 1: What did you think about? How? It was not much I was.
Speaker 2: I was just waiting, okay, to be fair, though, when I when I made it home, it was like we had just finished no limit thing. So I got home, I you know, started to be I had it rolling. I didn't know they were going to really jump right into it like that. So I was walking around making because I was hungry. I was making food, so I wasn't paying all that much attention. I was because I was like, I'm gonna miss too much of anything.
Speaker 1: So her going to bouy the TV. But all right, cool? Yeah.
Speaker 5: Immediately the acting was the performance was great from the mother like the way uh, it's just was like, oh, you could just tell how how good this was gonna be from the way they were acting.
Speaker 3: He was acting straight up like a crack at it. And the mom was acting kind of paranoid.
Speaker 5: Even when she was talking to the like the imaginary father, uh and all of that. The yeah, that like all of that and the way they shot it with the split screen.
Speaker 3: When you see through the keyhole you see him through.
Speaker 5: It was just so brilliantly done with like no one was filming like this, so it was just like damn like like so.
Speaker 1: It was very very intriguing.
Speaker 5: And then the whole like him going to this place to sell the TV and the mom knew exactly where he was going just to buy it back. I mean, man, I thought this was great. It was a great opening, great opening to it.
Speaker 7: I could see that from a filmmaking standpoint.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah. Yeah, for me, it was great.
Speaker 2: Fact that it was a white and black at part that part to yeah, yeah, you're right, yeah, took that ship all the way across town on the.
Speaker 3: Busted ass Yeah yeah, so no, it was It was cool.
Speaker 4: So Sarah gets a call that she's going to be on TV, so she gets really excited to fit back into her black dress. We also meet Mary and who's Harry's girlfriend, and she's describing her relationship with her family. Did y'all take anything from that? Sounds like no, wait wait, it's just for anybody.
Speaker 1: I got distracted. I'm sorry said something about Mary.
Speaker 2: You remember the conversation because because look, the storyteller was like it was choppy, man, it wasn't that chip it was I didn't feel like it was choppy.
Speaker 1: I followed it quite.
Speaker 4: I think it was how they how they It was intentional, obviously, because they definitely bounced back and forth between characters.
Speaker 3: I was asking.
Speaker 4: She's describing uh maryon Harry's girlfriend, describing her relationship with her family.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't remember this part, damnit. So this plays into the theme of the movie.
Speaker 4: But she's talking about how she does she's not close with her family, and Harry is like, what do you mean They always give you money and you should be happy, and she's like, yeah, but that's all they give me is money. So there seems to be no emotional relationship between Marion and her family. But y'all don't seem because she's looking. But she's looking because she's looking for acceptance.
Speaker 1: She looking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I also got that she's looking for an emotional attachment to somebody because she doesn't have that with anybody else.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 4: Harry and Tyro decide they're gonna work their way up to buying some pure drugs so they can make so much money that they don't have to keep pulling small tricks.
Speaker 1: Anymore.
Speaker 4: But two questions. One were y'all surprised at the moment they got some drugs that they were supposed to cut that they immediately tried it. But were you also surprised that they seemed to pull this off.
Speaker 2: I was surprised that they pulled it off. I was. I definitely wasn't surprised that they tried it. What I thought was funny was the reason why when he was like, this is business.
Speaker 1: They kind of fooled me.
Speaker 2: I was like, that makes sense when he said, I was confident, like, you know, I guess baby, yeah, I can see that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but they I was.
Speaker 2: But I think them trying it and not like using their own product, and that they continued to run the business and stack of all the cash and they have to follow through.
Speaker 1: I was impressed by that. I thought they did a good job of that.
Speaker 7: I was shocked that they pulled it off. I did not have any faith in them at all. And as it started to work out, like Okay, maybe it's going somewhere different from what I expected.
Speaker 2: I was just waiting for one of them to just yeah, yeah, just started using the money.
Speaker 5: I thought somebody was stealing that money. No, It's definitely not a typical story of an attic. So yeah, it was interesting that they were able to pull it off, and then they had some sort of common sense about it.
Speaker 1: Was this, was they using some of that money to fund their habits too, right, Yeah, just a little bit, but not not enough to just destroy.
Speaker 2: The whole right, but it makes sense, like, you know, that's an incentive.
Speaker 1: A business, you know, a mission statement.
Speaker 4: I hear this from every crackhead that this is this is the goal, Like, let's let's stop what we're doing, let's try to stack our cash and get some pure and then we'll be rich. And I was like, yeah, you know, I mean, I'm obviously the first time I ever saw it, I was like, y'all not going to be able to pull.
Speaker 1: This off, and in fact they did. I was like, Okay, good for y'all.
Speaker 4: Y'all gonna crash at some point. But so Sarah goes on speaking a crash. Sarah goes on a crash diet so she can fit to her red dress, but she starts being haunted by food, so she ends up going to the doctor to get prescribed.
Speaker 3: Some diet pills.
Speaker 4: Spike, being from Nashville, did you notice how she starts acting immediately after she.
Speaker 3: Takes the pills.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like hallucinating and stuff like you said, right, well, she was hallucinating. She was very it's like tittering and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, I noticed it right away. Yeah, anybody else picked I mean obviously you did.
Speaker 1: You picked that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean I don't think they're around anymore, but I used to work with someone that was an addict on speed, and that's exactly how they were, how they would run the register, like grounding the chief and stuff.
Speaker 7: It's like myth. Yeah, like molecule away from myth, I think so.
Speaker 4: I think so, or it at least gives you the same high because it's just like you're constantly on the go. So so yeah, so okay, what did y'all take from the flashback with Tyrond and his mother?
Speaker 3: Do you remember that part?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, I do remember that part when he was caught when she was calling him and stuff.
Speaker 4: He was fanna get some ass, and then he was you know, he added some like emotional depth to him, like some of his motivations and things like that.
Speaker 7: So it was like, Okay, I get why he's like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about to say, hmm, yeah, what did you have? You pulled something different from that?
Speaker 1: You have that They used him because.
Speaker 2: He was basically naked, right basically what he was you said he was about position type thing.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, I guess he's a nigger.
Speaker 3: Y'all didn't understand what. I don't know why they had him just standing there with his ass, well what.
Speaker 2: With his don't Yeah, you know, naked, vulnerable think about his mom goes back to the you know, being in the womb and your neck and the you.
Speaker 3: Know, big baby.
Speaker 2: Then even when he was having it was the imagery of the infantite position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, that was good. That was really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I thought what she was saying was very He says to her, he's like, one day, I'm gonna make it, which to him, he's made it because they got that lick and now you know, and then she says, you don't have to make it.
Speaker 3: You just have to love your mama. And that will play into this entire story, but we'll get to that at the end.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Why does Harry lie to his mother about his.
Speaker 4: Job when he goes over to the house and he's talking about I'm.
Speaker 3: Just I'm working with a distributor. I'm of a big importer.
Speaker 1: Can you tell your mom yourself drugs?
Speaker 4: I mean, would she be that surprised if he keeps stealing her TV?
Speaker 1: It was better than what he was doing, and she would probably be concerned for him. But you know, there's this this this.
Speaker 2: Image that you want to have for your parents. Your parents don't want to view like that. They want to be as successful and stuff like that. And maybe it kind of relates also back to Tyrone. Uh, you know as well. You know about him saying I'm gonna make it and she's saying what she said to him. So maybe that's probably why, Like, if I was selling drugs, there's no way I'd be like, hey, well you know I only got.
Speaker 1: This because I'm doing this, Like she wouldn't want to hear that story. Well, I like did he?
Speaker 2: I mean, I like that he came to a census that like, I've been doing this to my mom for this long.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm saying I want to get her something nice.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it was specific, right because he knowed that he kept taking her TVs.
Speaker 1: And so the fact that he.
Speaker 5: Was conscious of that and to that degree, I did I did like that because he told his girl, so it wasn't even like something he was trying to just show like he did it to He told his girl like, man, man, I should do something nice for it, maybe get a TV because I'm always doing this.
Speaker 1: I thought that was And his brother is positive.
Speaker 3: You know, he's gonna have some.
Speaker 1: Liquid liquidated.
Speaker 4: I got more with you guys, but I think that he really wanted to contain his mother, you know, and he wants her.
Speaker 3: To be proud of him.
Speaker 4: So that's why he's lying about what he does because he loves his mother, but he knows he's being bad to her. But he picks up on her teeth chattering and immediately clocks she's on speed drugs.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: What did you think of what his mom says to him about why she's so fascinated with this red dress.
Speaker 1: Because she wanted to oh, because that was the dress she wants.
Speaker 4: From I can't rememb if but she starts talking about why this is so important to her being on TV and such.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, the the motivation for her to start taking his trust to be on TV made a lot of sense, you know, the older you get, of course, physically your body slows down. And for people that's that's tough to rector with. It's like, you know, you remember what you once were and you'll never be able to get that back. But some people do go out of their way to try to relive the glory days.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And and she was fascinated by the show, and and this was a moment for her. It gave her a reason to get on this drugs so she could be look her best, you know, for this show. So and that dress probably was the moment she remembered that she was hot stuff back in the day, and that.
Speaker 1: Was the attachment that she was longing for.
Speaker 5: I just think it's interesting to see twenty five years later this ship, like this is still being promoted heavily, like flat Tommy Tea.
Speaker 1: And all that type of shit, you know what I'm saying. So it's like, damn, and now it's predatory, Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 5: It is like you know, just selling this dream of like you know, weight loss, like quick weight loss for people. And for some people, they they probably you know, more likely promoted and like it. But you know, altogether, it's harmful to you, especially to your to your mind or whatever.
Speaker 1: If you if abused.
Speaker 3: So, I don't know. I thought that was a good representation in this movie of of because even from the doctor, right, the doctor didn't even look at her.
Speaker 1: He just pushed this pill to it.
Speaker 5: It was a pill pusher, just like all right, we'll prescribe this or whatever whatever. And yeah, I thought I thought it was a good representation that culture.
Speaker 2: Issues, just like here, just take this, yeah, take care of that.
Speaker 7: Both times, yeah, both times. It reminded me of azimpic that. That's funny that you say that too. But to the dress point, Mike, I thought it was Nostyusia's just like going to buy a pair of shoes that you couldn't get when you were young and seeing remember people having him well even remember having them when you were young, like that that. I think it's the same thing that she was speaking of that some people do today.
Speaker 1: Was that commercial for that drug?
Speaker 2: Was that on that TV show in the beginning they got and said something about Tubby or whatever, or she.
Speaker 1: Got the drug idea for her one of her friends, ada, whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, I just want to make sure to miss anything in the beginning because that was opened with that TV show, right, that's interesting because.
Speaker 5: She got to the point where she couldn't fit the dress either time, Like she couldn't fit it when she was overweight. She couldn't fit it because she got she started small. I don't know if y'all realized that. So she still couldn't She still couldn't fit the dress even after she was on the pills. Yeah, it wasn't. It was too it was overside.
Speaker 3: Oh that's what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well the part that I was asking about when she was she was trying.
Speaker 4: To she was trying to explain why it was so important for this to happen. So when she I took it as she just wants a place in the world. Because when she starts talking to Harry and she asks them, she's like, you know, did you notice I.
Speaker 3: Had the best seat outside? Like I'm somebody. She doesn't feel like anybody cares about her, and she starts she wants to share her entire story with the world. That is the goal for her.
Speaker 4: She wants to fit in this red dress so she can go on TV, brag about her son, give a shout out, to see more, and have everybody see her because for her, it's a reason to get up and do anything. So when she starts going on.
Speaker 3: This this this dialogue part, she tells them, she's like, I have nothing to look forward to. My husband's gone.
Speaker 1: You're gone.
Speaker 4: And when she starts talking about I don't have any reason to get up, why would I wash dishes? I have the reason to do any of this. I have no one to care for. So she's trying to find something to give her life a purpose.
Speaker 3: That's what I was getting at, and I thought that this scene in particular is one of the best scenes in the film. I'm a little sad that nobody talked about this, Like, I don't think I think it was for nostalgia. I think it was really she had she felt like she was useless that nobody can because.
Speaker 4: She's like, oh, you have friends, Ma, what about your friends outside? And she's like, they don't care about me, they don't need me. She's like, you don't.
Speaker 3: Need me, You're not here. So when I'm watching this, I started thinking about my mom and me. I'm like, damn, I need to go spend more time my mother because she might think that way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I feel like that's I thought I was waiting on you to get to that part. I ain't want to assume what that's what I felt like.
Speaker 3: I literally asked.
Speaker 4: Y'all, what did y'all no, no, no, no, no, no, what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Once you started talking about it, I was waiting for you to say that that that's why, uh, that's why I hit you like that.
Speaker 3: It don't hit me like that because my mom.
Speaker 1: I think he's about the mom part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, your mom didn't remarried.
Speaker 5: She yeah, well no, right, my mom remarried, and so there was never that feeling.
Speaker 3: There was never that feeling that she was by helf.
Speaker 1: Or anything like that.
Speaker 3: My mom, my mom kept the man.
Speaker 5: So it's like, yeah, I never thought my mom was I don't think she ever was.
Speaker 3: In my mind, my mom is straight.
Speaker 1: She was never lone. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I never took it as my mom being lonely.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be here this long if I thought that was the case, Like, I probably would have been back home at some point. But so, yeah, I think my mom was straight. So this didn't really hit me the same way.
Speaker 1: Man. Yeah, yeah, so good.
Speaker 3: It's good though, because she was great. She yeah, she was really good.
Speaker 2: I meant I went and looked her up afterwards to see what else she was in, because she was great in this.
Speaker 3: Well, where'd you think about what was happening in the cab when Harry leaves?
Speaker 1: What happened in the cab?
Speaker 3: He starts crying immediately?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't remember exactly what happened. He starts crying immediately.
Speaker 4: And then he takes a hit and then the oh yeah, yeah, completely composed.
Speaker 3: Everything is fun. I thought the way they did this, anytime they do the scene where it's like.
Speaker 1: Fine, no, it's good, it's so good.
Speaker 5: It's good because woman, when Jennifer Conley was looking in the mirror, she was just like damping and then she.
Speaker 3: Yeah after after after they did it. Yeah, they did it with everyone.
Speaker 4: Although I didn't get her seen very much. I was like, why who stands in the mirror with just the top on but part of the winn.
Speaker 3: What you saying the ben like whinny the pool Brian for family guy?
Speaker 1: What are you doing? That's hilarious?
Speaker 3: O my god, what a reference?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Okay, uh I I I'm afraid to even ask you all this, but what did y'all think of the scene where Tyrone is meeting with the drug dealers?
Speaker 3: In the car.
Speaker 1: I like that scene. I bet you did.
Speaker 3: I bet you did like that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Say at this point, I fe like this movie was all over the place. Yeah, it was a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Remember the scene all over the place. Yeah it was. It felt very chaotic for me. And I know that was an intent, but still, and.
Speaker 2: I got all the feelings the intent behind it. But but yeah, but I did like this.
Speaker 3: You stupid, don't even do it.
Speaker 2: You don't even you have to do that.
Speaker 1: I got it, I got it. I got.
Speaker 3: Let's yo, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Why do they do this? I don't know why they did this?
Speaker 2: And they I feel him though, he's the head.
Speaker 1: Ah should I see he had. If there's one thing I'm gonna.
Speaker 5: Say, I'm gonna say that is this party.
Speaker 1: You know, but I would just let you know that because I really mean this ship.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's so bad, I'm gonna try to say some ship I can't say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was funny, it's gonna register. This whole scene was cray.
Speaker 4: When he says, oh you got a white you got a white driver, and they just start busting in the back.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And the way they when, Yeah, that was good. They were doing some really creative ship on this direct. So Sarah's having issues with the pills she's taking.
Speaker 4: What did y'all think about the scene where she's in the doctor's office, because this is another one of my fas ever seens the whole film.
Speaker 1: Is just when they were four fingers all their food, but.
Speaker 4: Just when she goes to the doctors office to tell the doctor that something's wrong and they don't really give a fuck.
Speaker 3: He just changed the prescription. Yeah, but then he kept her on the pills.
Speaker 4: I think he increases the prescription because her body is getting acclimated to the pill.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah, you know because she calls you like, yes, not having the same effect, you might just getting used to it. Yeah, and he just up the dosage, which you know which doctors, Yeah, they do that.
Speaker 1: Ship all the time.
Speaker 3: But remember this particular scene.
Speaker 2: People coming back, because when the because she's sitting there like and look and she's like in the corner of the screen and he's far away.
Speaker 1: He just kind of comes in.
Speaker 2: He turns around, didn't even really look at her, and down gave it to her and then bounced.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was that was That was a pretty pretty dope shot. How they did that, but he didn't give two fout.
Speaker 7: It was accurate of like just how doctors sometimes are.
Speaker 1: That's what I was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's all I was saying earlier, how they didn't even look at it, not trying to create any type of attachment to this, and started to.
Speaker 4: Right, that's get yeah, Like she is in slow motion and for her, the entire scene is slow motion, but he's talking fast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this ship is so good because she was like, did you hear that or something like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she hears like a bang behind her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the way the scene is done is so good. All right, So Miriam starts sucking her therapist for drug money, but she doesn't have a connect. So while Miriam is going crazy trying to find drugs in the house, Harry and Tyrone go to the back of a supermarket to score some pure but things go wrong as always, But as the truck takes off, they see that it's a Florida truck and they decide to drive to Florida.
Speaker 1: Is this a good plan?
Speaker 2: No plan, y'all can't even get that even though that was your fault, addict to the truck, you keupt plan for that. But because they were using the money that Marian got for Harry to go buy the drugs right because they had to use their stash to get Tyrone out of jail, to bell Tyrone out of jail, which made them low. And I thought it was fucked up that he even asked her to go do that.
Speaker 3: That's that's some drug addict shit.
Speaker 1: Yep, I know. But I was like, yo, fuck therapist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he was trying to because you were like, you don't know because that was the first time doing it.
Speaker 3: See, I don't know.
Speaker 4: As many times I've watched this film, I'm always fuzzy on that part.
Speaker 5: Oh what he said, He said, it sounds like she's done it's done it before. She's like, he was just like, I don't want you to do that again. Okay, yeah, yeah, she had already done it before. Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 4: But something but there was something else that she says that makes yeah, because when she says, you don't know what he's gonna have me do. So that's why I'm kind of fuzzy. I'm like, Okay, has she done this before or has she not?
Speaker 3: Maybe she's done something else. Maybe she just sucked his dick once.
Speaker 1: Or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I can't tell.
Speaker 7: Maybe he got last time and then she knows it's gonna get wilder this time.
Speaker 2: Maybe, or maybe maybe he made advances towards her. She knew that that was gonna be the if. If she was asking for money, that was going to be the payment. Yes, and she already knew that off rip, so but she went and went through it.
Speaker 1: I love the way he did that where uh.
Speaker 2: She would like turn the lights off, and as soon as the lights went off, he just ravished her. I thought that that was that was that was the body kind of just shows that part.
Speaker 5: And that was another indicator too that they had done it before. He said that he never won them off before.
Speaker 1: Ye yeah, yeah, okay, okay, okay, so never mind, Yeah, no, you're right. Well, you know she had did it before, so I guess maybe Harry knew that.
Speaker 3: That's why he got the idea.
Speaker 1: She was like, well, I know, yeah, no, damn you own girl.
Speaker 3: Hey, bro, times are hard caught out here for a pimp, all right.
Speaker 4: So because her body starts to get acclimated to the pill, Sarah starts taking more of them at a time. What did y'all think about the scene where the people from the TV break into her.
Speaker 7: Realityferator refrigerator beat her up, happening right now.
Speaker 1: She was on the trip.
Speaker 2: Man, She's gone, yeah, but I did like that, like the effects of that, especially for that time. But they were coming out of the TV and looking like they're from a television.
Speaker 1: What did it signify? I don't know if I thought about it that deep?
Speaker 3: Damn yeah, So do you okay? Do y'all?
Speaker 4: Remember when the people come out of the TV, they immediately start judging her.
Speaker 3: They like, look at your house. It's so small and it's dirty.
Speaker 4: I think this this implies how inadequate she feels as a person.
Speaker 3: Again, she's lonely, she lives by herself.
Speaker 4: The people coming out of the TV and they immediately start judging her and making fun of her.
Speaker 3: I think what they're showing is this and this.
Speaker 4: Remember this is right before she has her full mental break, So this is like a manifestation of how she sees this show as the only thing that's important to her. Right now, she's trying to get into this red dress so she can get onto the TV, and once she gets there, she will feel accomplished. So of course, when she has the full break. The only thing she's seeing is what's happening in the show coming into her reality. They bust through the walls and they start setting up microphones and stuff on her, and this is when she has a full mental break and ends up at the studio where they film the show and they call the cops on her, which lands her in a mental institution. But Harry and Tyrone are on their way to Florida, during which time we see that Harry has a pretty bad infected.
Speaker 3: Wound on his arm from shooting us.
Speaker 4: We also see Mariam ends up at my boy Little John's place, having to get a little attention.
Speaker 7: To Big John.
Speaker 3: So who has it worse at this moment of the.
Speaker 5: Story, He said, what do you say? He's saying, I ain't pull it out because it's pretty. Is that he said that it's pretty to look at something. I know it's pretty to look at it, but I ain't pull it. I ain't pull it out for fresh air.
Speaker 7: The worst place, because she really didn't want that happen.
Speaker 1: She does she even know who he was.
Speaker 4: The number was on the back of that picture. Remember, uh huh, I forgot how they got the number. But the number was written down on something that she found in the apartment. I don't remember, though, the number was written down and she called it because he was the.
Speaker 3: Guy that I remember remember him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you do remember when Okay, when Tyrone and Harry are walking around and Harry is like, hey, don't you got that one guy's number? And he's like, well, yeah, but he doesn't sell drugs.
Speaker 3: He only gives out drugs. And he says, you know, I tried to give him something, but he said I wasn't cute enough.
Speaker 1: I do remember that conversation.
Speaker 3: So Harry got the number from Tyrone.
Speaker 4: So this guy is known for giving out drugs, but he doesn't sell them.
Speaker 3: He will only give you drugs if you give him some ass.
Speaker 1: And Marion overheard that conversation.
Speaker 3: No, I think Harry told her.
Speaker 1: But we never saw it.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure we saw it. I just don't remember, right. I'm pretty sure we saw him tell her.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, but I don't know if he was talking to because I remember Harry saying that. We don't know if he was talking to Tyrone or her.
Speaker 3: It's when they get in a fight, remember they get in a fight. He's like, just go to this I wouldn't have to be out in the.
Speaker 2: Streets because I tell you what I thought was happening before I realized it was. It was that guy. I thought he was asked because they shit was so fucked up. I thought he was asking her to double back. And then I know it was this black guy. So when I heard him talking about yeah, but he doesn't basically everything you just said. When they were talking about that, I thought they were talking about the therapist. So I got getting stuff on that unless I'm getting mixed up. No, no, no, you're right, I just got mixed up. When I was watching it. I thought that's what he was talking about. Remember, like, I'm watching this thing, and this thing just is not very.
Speaker 1: Linear for me.
Speaker 2: So when I heard that conversation, I was like, oh, he's asking her to go back. And then there was this black guy. I'm like, what what the.
Speaker 1: Fuck did he come from? Because that was his first appearance in the movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, we hadn't seen him, we just heard about him.
Speaker 4: So Sarah is in an institution right now and the orderlies are forcing her to eat. Did you notice the conversation that the orderlies are having.
Speaker 1: No, I did not, or I do not remember. So they're talking.
Speaker 4: One of the guys is talking about being at a casino and he's talking about how the security guy showed up and was like telling him did he have to leave?
Speaker 3: And he didn't want to leave because he wanted to keep playing.
Speaker 1: So they're just.
Speaker 3: Making it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was dope. And the fact that they're treating her like that. Yeah, this this this, this ship was.
Speaker 1: Hard for her food because she don't want to.
Speaker 3: He doesn't want to eat, which was in her dress.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's another thing that happens because you know, sometimes they want to lose weight so they stop eating.
Speaker 1: But you know, give my visa. Yeah, it's pretty upe.
Speaker 4: So Tyrone and Harry go to the hospital because of his arm, which lands them both in jail because the doctor, of course calls.
Speaker 5: The cops the way the way he was looking at his and then morphine or whatever that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Tyrone ends up being convicted and is relegated to working his time off in this horrible prison and has the detox while in there, and all he can dream about is his mother's embrace.
Speaker 3: Just do anything for y'all.
Speaker 1: There was a callback.
Speaker 2: To I feel bad for Tyrone because they called him a nigger and Harrod was next to him, and he ain't really he talked bad to Harry too, but ship he just like, bro, you it almost like he was just a little bit less than human then her he was absolutely Yeah. And then because I was, I was really curious to see how he would view and talk to Harry and and yeah, he just talked to him like he was just a drug added.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: But this guy was and you know, of course you know that I can assume meant that he definitely got mistreated while he was in prison.
Speaker 1: So he's in prison, you know, and Harry, well.
Speaker 2: We're just talking about Tyrone now, but yeah, he's in prison and probably just getting abused there.
Speaker 1: And of course the detalks.
Speaker 4: That's the thing that got me is the fact that they're forcing him a detox in this prison. And then when they show the scene where he just rolls over and he curls up into that fetal position again, then you see the vision of his mother. Man, it's like all he wants is his mom at this.
Speaker 2: Point, and the didn't imagine he's if he's had that vision, he's thinking about the conversation and then he's in jail and he did not make me, but he still loves his mother's mother.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: So Harry, after having a dreamer, he's running down the docks to Mariam, who's coincidentally in a red dress.
Speaker 3: He wakes up in the hospital with his arm amputated.
Speaker 4: So was it sad how he woke up saying Mariam's name And then the nurse is like, who is that? We'll call for her and she'll come, and Harry's like, Nah, she's not gonna.
Speaker 1: Come because she wasn't at the docks anymore.
Speaker 4: At the docks, and I think he realizes that this is not a real relationship.
Speaker 3: So he's like, why I was thinking about the mom. No, no, no, Marriam. So he's like yeah, so he's he's saying she's not gonna come, She's not gonna come.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh yeah yeah yeah. But why would he realize that it's not a real relationship though.
Speaker 4: Because everything is is based on drugs to them, because remember he has the phone call with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like can you come now? And he's just like, Noah.
Speaker 4: I can't, I can, but he he knew he couldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, he was lying to her, and but I just looked at it as they were just both in very precarious situations that they were. I think they still would have been together, but they were just unable to. Like I think if she was able to go see him, she would have went. You don't think she would have went.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 4: But he doesn't know that she's in a precarious situation. He has no idea what she's doing, what she's doing or where she is.
Speaker 1: In order to get by, but he still says.
Speaker 3: She's not going to come. She won't come.
Speaker 1: I think he don't know the reason.
Speaker 7: He just know she ain't because he knew it was what he thought it was exactly.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was what either one of them thought it was.
Speaker 4: I think so the whole point is, to me, at least, everybody in this movie is lonely. Everybody in this movie is looking for some kind of connection. Harry has his mom, but he has no connection with her. His dad is gone, but he has Miriam, so he's dumping everything into her. Mariam has nobody. She has money, she has access, but she has no emotional connection to anybody, even her parents. So she's dumping everything into Harry. But when you say it's like a Corda Pender relationship, they're not really in love at all. You need finish, I need you finishing exactly exactly. Then you have Tyrone, who is lonely because he has no one. His mother is dead. The only person he really cared about is gone, so he's just dumping everything into drugs.
Speaker 3: And then his friendship with Harry. Then you have Mariam. I'm not Mariam Sarah, who her husband's gone.
Speaker 4: All she has is good Harry, and then Harry keeps fucking taking her TV. So it's like everybody in this movie is just dreadfully lonely. So I think this is just another sign that Harry is just gone. He's just like, there's no reason for Mariam to come because this isn't a real relationship.
Speaker 1: So she was with Harry because Harry showed interest in her. Whow was Harry with her?
Speaker 4: Same reason, same reason. They all they all looking for emotional codependency.
Speaker 1: And they just all just having to start doing drugs together because he got her on drug. He got her on drug.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And that's why when we see Tyrone in the room and he's banging out that girl, He's like, you're the beautiful, beautiful girl I've ever seen, foxy, foxy girl, you've ever seen so Yeah, so I know neither Miriam ends up at a sex party because she's desperate.
Speaker 3: For drugs and she gets the dreaded the dreaded.
Speaker 4: Spike ass to ask treatment manne.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I mean, I don't know, like.
Speaker 7: It was wild, just the whole thing and how they portrayed it.
Speaker 1: It was like, I don't know, that ship was wild.
Speaker 2: And she was funny when he was like, yeah, you know, so we got this thing going on on Sundays and she was like, you know, he threw that ship.
Speaker 3: Why are you playing?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? Yeah, the thing.
Speaker 3: It was like a two two things black thing. It wasn't nothing little about that motherfucker. Can't stop playing.
Speaker 1: That thing was huge.
Speaker 5: I know, I'm just saying it was the double sided dial. Nobody's afraid to say it. No, they put the juice on it, the.
Speaker 1: Juice up what.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: No, anytime I've watched that movie, I'm sorry. That ship freaks me the fuck out. That thing is huge.
Speaker 3: And yeah, this is probably the most one of the most disturbing scenes in the whole film.
Speaker 2: It is all I could think about was like, damn, like marrying, being in a situation she clearly doesn't want to be in, but she has to do it in order to feel this addiction, you know, because she you can see it on her face.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm sorry, but yeah, she was like man like, she didn't want to be there, she wanted to leave, but it was our only way she.
Speaker 1: Could get drug.
Speaker 2: So I guess her family cut her off.
Speaker 4: That part isn't all the way clear, but I assumed they give her an allowance and maybe she just it wasn't time for the allowance yet, or maybe her parents did cut her off because she started asking too much money. I never really got that fully, but yeah, her doing the ass to ask it was like you could tell by her face, Jennifer Connolly killed this because you could tell that she was just like mortified.
Speaker 3: Yeah that she has to do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, this this shi is so disturbing.
Speaker 1: So she was doing it.
Speaker 4: I was like, God, but yeah, So they at the hospital, they convinced Sarah to sign some paperwork for an experimental treatment which ends up being shocked therapy. Yeah, which this part really gets me every time I see it. So was this sad when her friends came to see.
Speaker 3: Her and she was just basically.
Speaker 7: Gone, yes, yeah, y'all cry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was their fault. It was because they told her to get on that ship. Well one of them kim which one, but one of them did they but they didn't know she would abuse it.
Speaker 1: Do you ever really know?
Speaker 4: I feel like they knew she was what's she a little self She didn't really have low self esteem. I don't think that they knew that she was going to go that far. I don't think they would have ever told her about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they probably just experienced regret for telling her about it, and this is they probably feel guilty about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Don't think they ever intended for something like this to happen. They loved her, you know, and I think that they really just wanted her to be on TV and maybe they wanted to live vicariously through her. But when she has the opportunity, yeah, because she has the opportunity to be like and plus they'll be able to say, look up, my friend is on TV. My mom is like that, look at my friend, look at my friends she's on TV. But when she comes out of her hair that she was trying to get red so she could be on TV, and it's just chopped off and gray. And the final scene is her dreaming about being on TV. She this is still the one thing she's stuck on being on TV, and having Harry come out and he's just gotten engaged and he tugs her, and then the movie movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it was almost like Frankenstein shocking her ass.
Speaker 3: Look at.
Speaker 1: She was gone.
Speaker 3: It was from where she started to crazy, really crazy.
Speaker 2: Harry was seeing Marion on the dock, yes, in a red dress, in the red dress which is the same color her mom was trying to get and his bond was trying to get into which psychoanalyzing that Yah, yeah, yeah, yeah, looking for the mom, the mother figure in her Yep, damn, yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: She never got that call from the TV from the game show, did she.
Speaker 3: She never got the call. Well, she got the call saying she was going to be on there.
Speaker 1: So it was a real call. Yeah, it was a real call.
Speaker 4: They called her at the beginning of the movie to say, you know you've won, You're gonna at least we assume. I mean, I never thought about the fact that she could have been imagining this, but I don't think she was.
Speaker 3: No, she wasn't because the mailman brings her the paper. So no, that part is real.
Speaker 4: So they did call her saying you're gonna be on TV, they just never told her when. Yeah, so that's why she kept checking the mail being like when is it gonna happen?
Speaker 3: And it doesn't happen. I think they said these things could take time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she never got the second call saying you know, this is your date.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 4: So she she ends up getting stuck in the institution and the last thing she we see her dreaming about is still going on TV.
Speaker 3: And now her brain is just gone.
Speaker 4: It's fried from the pills and then legit fried from the shock therapy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so that was my take.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think everything in this movie is about everybody's lonely and everybody's trying to find some kind of place. And did y'all catch how the seasons? How it was broken up in the seasons? Yeah, from the summer where you start starting. I came, if it's started in summer or not, you think it might have started? So they flashed on the screen every time.
Speaker 1: Now I call Hi.
Speaker 2: Every all four of them ended up. I think all four ended up in a infantile position at the end. Yeah, Harry, Mariam curled up because.
Speaker 1: She she got she had a score, right she Yeah, she.
Speaker 4: Was the only one that kind of won in the end. But now we can assume that this is going to be her life because she got what she needed. Because she went and sold herself out for this part.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to keep doing this.
Speaker 4: She's gonna have to keep doing this because now she's gonna be super addicted. But the whole Seasons thing is dope because this is how drug addicts are. It's like you take the drugs to bury whatever the problems are that you have.
Speaker 3: You're high for a little while, then you have a massive down, then you get high again.
Speaker 4: Massive down is a big you know cycle. So I think it's dope that they worked in the Seasons that way and it ultimately destroys your dreams absolutely or whatever.
Speaker 5: Like you you have these aspirations, yeah, you have these aspirations to do things, but you get on these drugs and then I mean, because we see with artists, right, it'd be like like artists they get on drugs with Miles Davis like some of the greatest people like you do these things to get to another place and then end up you end up being consumed by it and you all together.
Speaker 1: And all four of them had a dream.
Speaker 3: All four of them had a dream, and all four of them their dreams were.
Speaker 1: Ruined because of the drug.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so, yeah, I think this is a brilliant film.
Speaker 3: Still you ain't changed your mind, huh So, yeah, this is fun, Darren.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I'm glad you brought it up. I don't think I like his movies. Remember I didn't like The Well. I wasn't how on the Well got fat for Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't think I was that that one.
Speaker 5: I think he just got big just heah. I thought that was no, no, no, no. He put on a suit, remember remember he got it was his pushback from that. It was just like, why you just didna get obese person?
Speaker 1: But he gained weight for the role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but still had to put on prosthetics and that people we were I knew something it was fake.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, people.
Speaker 5: Were accusing him, well not accusing him, but they was accusing Yeah, I guess the director for not using a actual obest person so black Swan, Mother one.
Speaker 3: I think I did like what. I thought you said you didn't like never that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I love that. I thought he said he didn't like No. Yeah, I think I have to go back and watch what did it?
Speaker 4: Probably I could see would not like Mother, though I can see why he would not like Mother.
Speaker 1: Mother.
Speaker 3: Mother is all fucking over the place now, that one is.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the Well, I definitely didn't enjoy that one.
Speaker 3: The Fountain is really good.
Speaker 2: I don't remember Black Swan, but I remember watching it.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I remember watching I don't remember I remember watching Black Swan, so I haven't rewatched it to make see if I liked it or not. But if I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: So he could see to make trippy movies then or arts movies, And.
Speaker 2: I may feel the same way about Mother. But yeah, when I looked at everything he made, I was nothing. Really I remember the movie, but nothing stood out. But I definitely remember the Well, and I was like, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I like his movie.
Speaker 3: I can see it.
Speaker 4: I mean, his movies are very weird, they're very choppy, they're kind of all over the place. They don't tell the traditional narrative in a traditional way. I you know, he's one of those directors where I wouldn't be like what, I'm surprised that you don't like Nah, it makes sense. I think his movies are fucking great, with the except of the Wrestler, which I didn't love.
Speaker 3: I like the Wrestler too. Yeah, the Wrestler didn't do it for me, but everything else I think has been great.
Speaker 1: So I did a Wrestler as a solo.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 4: I haven't watched it, but I saw that you did it. Now because I was assuming, I was like, why did they make him do the Wrestler?
Speaker 1: Of all movies?
Speaker 5: This just made me do American X. I got a recorder X, so I got to record that. Did you watch it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: Oh shit, oh I'm definitely. Yeah, it's a scene I want to know about.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what? All right, you already know what.
Speaker 4: Let's end this all right. Well, thank y'all for listening, Thank y'all for I guess nobody recommended this on our own. But yeah, maybe we'll have to discuss Aaronofsky one of these days.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, let us know what.
Speaker 4: Y'all thought, and uh, leave some comment shows with a friend, and we will see y'all next time.
Speaker 1: We out peace,