Speaker 1: Hi Oh, Let's go hi Oh, Let's go oh, Let's go oh, Let's go.
Speaker 2: One O seven point nine FM, Double BT. My name is Brett Jensen, and you are listening to this Wednesday night edition of Breaking with Brett Jensen. As always, we are going to go up until seven o'clock tonight, seven oh four five, seven oh one oh seven nine. That is the telephone number. That is also the WBT text line driven by Liberty Buick GMC and boys and girls follow me on x at Brett Underscore Jensen all the letters and breaking news in and around the Charlotte area, and we've got a lot of different things we're gonna get into tonight. Victoria Wallington put out a video and so we're gonna break it break down her video about the I seventy seven toilines. We're gonna break it, break it down, but we're gonna start off tonight was CMS and doctor Crystal Hill and the school board. Crystal Hill is the superintendent for those of you who do not know or those of you who do not live in Mclimburg County.
Speaker 3: So there's.
Speaker 2: The school board met today around four o'clock in a closed session. But I would probably be there right now doing my show from the Government Center, waiting for them to come out. But the closed session about Crystal Hill was done virtually, So that's why your boy is sitting in the studio right now. Otherwise I would be doing this show live from the Government Center right now, waiting on the school board to come out if let's say they came out at five point thirty, and then trying to get people to talk and maybe I could get back to the studio in time. I don't, you know, it just depends because this Government Center is like eight minutes from here. So but yes, that is that's what I would have been doing. But here's the thing. There's a lot going on, and like I was on with Vince Cokeley this morning, and Vince Cokeley asked me what I thought was gonna happen to Crystal Hill. And by the way, you need to listen because I've got some breaking news for you that you will not hear anywhere else concerning CMS and how a major, major person in the hierarchy of Crystal Hill has resigned. And from what I've been told, does it have anything out there? Meaning you're resigning without having something else set up?
Speaker 3: So we'll get into that in a minute.
Speaker 2: By the way, just for the record, found out about this last week like around as a matter of fact, the day it happened. So anyways, we'll get into that momentarily. So Vince Quackley asked me this morning on a show at today M what I thought was going to happen to Crystal Hill, and I said, without question, I am ninety nine percent positive she has served her last days as active superintendent with CMS. Granted, she's still getting paid while on suspension, suspended with pay. That is the goal of every human in America. Don't work, get full pay, suspended with pay.
Speaker 4: That is the goal of every American, not fired with a severance, not vacation, suspended with pay. We should all be so lucky getting a full paycheck without having to do a damn thing.
Speaker 2: So anyways, the fact that she was suspended with pay and is currently suspended with pay, and by the way, got a big fat pay raise retroactive while being suspended with pain. But here's the thing, here's why Crystal Hill I believe has served her last day as acting superintendent because she is not acting superintendent.
Speaker 3: That is Melissa Balkknight, one of her.
Speaker 2: BFFs that I'm not even joking like I am being dead serious. Came in from Gaston County, and I can tell you a lot of people from Gaston County are going, thank god she's not here anymore. She can go CMS and ruined CMS. There are a lot of people that I spoke to in Gaston County that we're happy Melissa Bultmate came along with her BFF or as they call it in the Central Office CMS, Central Office FOC.
Speaker 3: Friends of Crystal.
Speaker 2: FOC and then the NCAA and T mafia. Those are the two terms. If you went to NCAT or you're a FOC, you got a good chance of getting hired and a good chance of making two hundred thousand dollars a year. And by the way, we'll just create a position for you and give you two hundred thousand dollars a year. So anyways, here's why I believe she has served her last day as acting superintendent. You have suspended her with pay. That means, as a board, you believe she has done something wrong. There is an investigation by a law firm trying to figure out what has happened. Here's what I've been told by my multiple sources, and I think you guys know by now over these lasts that started in September tenth, twenty eighteen, nearly eight years, there is not a single soul in Mecclnberg County that has more CMS sources than I do. There's a reason why yours truly has broken the story of the last three superintendent's getting fired. Even though the school board comes and goes, everyone kept thinking it was all the people on the school board telling me, see that's where you're wrong. School board people come and go. It was never school board people. Never was, never is schoolboard people you can only count on for a certain amount of time before they're gone.
Speaker 3: You have to get people who are lifers.
Speaker 2: So anyways, but with that being said, Christal Hill was suspended with pay because the school believes that she has done something wrong, whether it's the twenty something cars that she's given out to all her focs and NCAA T mafia again Friends of Crystal twenty two people making over two hundred thousand dollars a year, while Wake County, a bigger school system and by all accounts, a better school system and a safer school system, only has three people making over two hundred thousand dollars a year. So not only are these people getting cars, they're all getting this ridiculous amount of money, more money than they've ever made in their entire lives, so that the retirement will be padded and they can literally retire when they're fifty to fifty five sixty and not have to worry about a thing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, now that the school board has suspended her with pay, are you going to bring her back?
Speaker 3: Of course not.
Speaker 2: You can't because as a school board, especially Stephanie Snead who buy most accounts, people believe that she has major, much bigger political aspirations, whether it's mayor or to take the place of Alma Adams. You've got major egg on your face. And if you bring Crystal back, you know what you've done. You've empowered her, You've emboldened her. Go and see, told you, I haven't done anything wrong. So I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing, and you know what, I might even double down on what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: It's like Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 2: You get a car, and you get a car, and you get a car and you get a car. Right, Okay, So that's why she can't come back. You embolden her, you empower her. And we're also by the way, she has not been very effective.
Speaker 3: How do we U say? How do you how can you say that? Bright?
Speaker 2: Well, she's had three different plans of organization in three consecutive years. What quality leader has that? You know what, here's my plan twelve months later. Man, this plan sucks. Here's a new plan. Twelve months later. Man, this plan sucks. Here's a new plan.
Speaker 3: Three straight years.
Speaker 2: She's done that completely change the structure and organization will within the hierarchy of CMS. But you know what I mean, this all goes back on the board. You get what you pay for. You knew what you had in Ernest Winston zero point zero experience state literally had you change the rules in order it in for him to get the job, literally change the rules, and you swore you'd never make that mistake again, getting someone for the fourteenth or seventeenth biggest district in the country with no experience.
Speaker 3: Crystal Hill had zero point zero experience and was like.
Speaker 2: Not exactly in charge of a lot of things at Cobert's County Schools. From everything I was told that when they made her like assistant superintendent or whatever it was. It was basically just to get her out of the way, sort of like the vice president.
Speaker 3: Just get out of the way.
Speaker 2: Just stand to the side, stay out of the way, go to the ribbon cuttings, go and like shake hands at schools, shake the hands, kiss the babies.
Speaker 3: So zero experience. So what she do. She brought in.
Speaker 2: All her BFFs, the FOC friends of Crystal and ncat went to NC andt here's a check, here's a check Kelly Klutz, like her name was mud in Cabars County and in charge of finances and now she's in charge of finances here. And as I reported, that was a disaster from the beginning. And I asked Crystal Hill about it, and she's like, well, that's not accurate. And guess what, it was one hundred percent accurate everything that reported about all the people being fired or quitting just in that finance department. I think at one point, I know it was fourteen and I think it got up to eighteen. So do I think Crystal Hill's coming back. No, But they, from what I understand, they were just getting an update on everything. But I will tell you this from all my sources, that I have spoken to, and now I much to say this earlier when I was talking about sources that have a crued from all my sources, and there are multiple, many more than anyone else in this city has. They were doing the investigations, this law firm, investigating and interviewing people, and it would be like me interviewing Lonnie and then all of a sudden, Lonnie dropping something about Travers and Bernie. Well, now I got to interview Travers and Bernie and guess what. They start talking about Keith Young and they start talking about Mark Garrison, and then they start talking about Jim z Oki and things that were going.
Speaker 3: On crazy with that, and I so now I got.
Speaker 2: To interview these three people, and they kept having to go down this rabbit hole because it kept getting deeper and deeper and deeper, and the more they investigated and spoke to people.
Speaker 3: The wider it got, the more people.
Speaker 2: So that's what I've been told from day one that has been going on that caught a lot of people off guard.
Speaker 3: A lot of people apparently.
Speaker 2: Have a lot of things to say, especially people that no longer work at seam as people that were either fired or said I am.
Speaker 3: Out so that's what I've been told. I don't know.
Speaker 2: What the end result is or if and when a decision will be made, no idea about that as I talk to you right now, but I do have some breaking news when we come back.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Breaking with Brod Johnson. I don't know how I follow that and keep it straight face, but we'll try, Okay.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: Angela would Angela Wood is the chief Human Resource officer for CMS. Multiple people last week told me that she had resigned. Chief Human Resource Officer had resigned. She hasn't been there that long, so you need to know that she's only been there since December twenty twenty five. Prior to that, she was the assistant I mean associates super wide in her job since December twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: I want to make sure I got that clear.
Speaker 2: She was in her job as Chief Human Resource Officer at CMS since December twenty twenty five. Prior to that, she was the Associate Superintendent of human Resources at CMS from starting in July twenty twenty three. Prior to that, she was the assistant superintendent of human Resources at Stanley County Schools It's ALBUMARO then. Prior to that human resources director at Union County Schools. She was only there, not even a year. She was only at She was only at Stanley County Schools for exactly one year, human resource director at Cabert's County Schools for a few months, just a few months from April to October, and then human resource coordinator at Cambart's County school is part of that for six years from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty one. And prior to that, she was an assistant principal in Cabert's County Schools for twelve or for two years.
Speaker 3: From twenty thirteen to twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: So she was a friend of Crystal's FOC. That's literally what they call them in Central Office at the CMS headquarters. They say, oh, that's at FOC, friends of Crystal. Oh that's part of the NCAA and T mafia. That's not my words. These are words coming from people from within the main office at CMS, the headquarters. These are my words. These are the people who work there. This is what they're saying. So usually when you leave at that position, you say, like if I resigned tomorrow, said hey, I've accepted a job with like I went I decided to go back to Fox Sports dot Com and you turn in your resignation.
Speaker 3: I am accepting.
Speaker 2: I'm turning in my resignation because I've accepted a job wherever. Right from my understanding, Angela Wood did not do that. She just said, see, you wouldn't want to be and then she gave six weeks notice. But again an foc Now there's a lot of speculation as to why she's leaving. Is are you leaving quitting as opposed to being fired? Because you know, let's be honest, I have no idea, but we know how this works in the world of business.
Speaker 3: Lonnie. Would you rather be fired or would you rather quit?
Speaker 2: And there's especially at that level when you're making over two hundred thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Would you rather be fired or would you rather quit? Quit? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely? You know why because you don't want on your resume that you are fired. Because when they call human resources, they can say, oh, she was fired.
Speaker 3: I think they can say that. I know there's some kind of things of what you can and can't say with human resources.
Speaker 2: Now, some people say, oh, no, you're going to have to fire me, because if you get fired, then you get to collect unemployment. But at that level, unemployment's are relevant when you're making two twenty five a year. If you haven't saved up and you're making two twenty five a year, If you're making twenty thousand dollars a year or a month and you can't survive, you got a problem, at least in short term, you got a problem. So Angela would chief human resources officer from everything that I was told, turned it in her resignation last week and it was this gave a six week notice. That's that's pretty telling. Is it purely coincidental? While all this stuff was going on with Crystal and you talk about all these cars and all these contracts and everything else.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And someone like Kelly Klutz is she is she gonna have to resign for the second time in her tenure being the chief financial officer of the school district.
Speaker 3: She had to in compariss is she gonna have to do it here? I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: How many of those people are still driving the cars that they were given. There's a minimum twenty one or twenty twenty one, but I was told was more or not. So anyways, you're not gonna hear that info anywhere else in this city. Again, these are all coming from people very familiar with the situation that told me all this last week and then again today. So I just wanted to pass that along for you. When I find out you find out, welcome back to breaking with Brad.
Speaker 3: Jensipers to go up until seven o'clock and then TJ and the Bear Richie will take you from seven to nine. All right.
Speaker 2: So, Charlotte City Council Member Victoria Wallington put out a video on Facebook where she discusses the ice seventy seven tolanes.
Speaker 3: Now, I will tell you.
Speaker 2: She is highly educated, exceptionally educated. That doesn't mean that she's right on things. That doesn't mean that she's woke or conservative or whatever. But it just means that she's educated. But again, it doesn't mean that she's right. Just means that she's educated. And she's got her doctorate degree. And the thing is is that you know, she went University of Florida, got a mechanical engineering degree, got a Master's of Science from UNC Charlotte and Engineering, and she also got a infrastructure or doctorate in infrastructure and environmental systems, economic mobility and stuff like that and a graduate certificate in public policy research and analysis.
Speaker 3: All right, so then now you know her background.
Speaker 2: She put out this video about the I seventy seven tollis so what we're going to do is we're going to analyze this video or audio video.
Speaker 3: But I just took the audio of the video.
Speaker 5: You know, again, we're still talking about seventy seven. Sadly, yes, me, I'm an engineer, a policy researcher, and an elected official. My child's not to have all the answers, but it is to ask the right question. I help lead the vote to recind seventy seven South. Not because I'm against mobility investment. I'm not, but because as an engineer, I just couldn't get a straight answer on what problem we were actually solving.
Speaker 2: Okay, what problem we're actually solving. They have done all these studies, and unless I have my information wrong, I believe it's nine of the top ten most congested areas in the state of North Carolina, or on I seventy seven between Carolin's Boulevard and Uptown.
Speaker 3: I think that's right. And if it's not.
Speaker 2: That it's damn close to nine out of the top ten in the entire state.
Speaker 3: Of North Carolina.
Speaker 2: So that's one thing widening the lanes. Because let me tell you something. Every day that I come here to the station across I'm on Wilkinson Boulevard to seventy seven going into Wilkinson, I cross over ICE seventy seven, and I looked to my left on I seventy seven where Woodlawn goes into the exit ramp goes into seventy seven South.
Speaker 3: It stopped at a dead stop.
Speaker 2: Every single day, every single day, it's dead stopped like nothing but bright red lights.
Speaker 3: So that's the problem.
Speaker 2: It's going to solve is expanding it and giving more writers more options.
Speaker 3: As opposed to.
Speaker 2: Being dead stuck in traffic and taken an hour to get home if you live in South Charlotte.
Speaker 5: And now here we go again, same project, same corridor, same conversation. So my question isn't widen or don't widen? My question is simply, what changed If I seventy seven South failed the test before, what new analysis makes it pass?
Speaker 3: Now? Okay, here's the new analysis.
Speaker 2: The reason it failed before wasn't because they thought expanding I seventy seven was a bad idea, engineering wise or infrastructure wise.
Speaker 3: Because it passed. It passed from the forget go, don't forget this thing.
Speaker 2: Passed, and that's why the NCDOT spent more than sixty three million dollars. What changed, here's exactly what changed. They turned it into a race issue. That's exactly what they did. Twenty nine houses. That's the number of houses impacted by this. Now, some can say an entire neighborhood, and there's been history, and.
Speaker 3: I get it. But I got news for you.
Speaker 2: That's not the only neighborhood that's ever been impacted by a road being expanded in the city of Charlotte. How about I seventy seven toll lanes from uptown all the way to Davidson. So you tell me there were no neighborhoods impacted all the way to Davidson. Okay, So here's another thing. So they turned it into a race issue. Even though your city council voted for this and everyone else, they turned it into a race issue. And because there's what one white person on city council, I think. I think there's one white person at Driggs. I think everyone else, whether it's Asian, Hispanic, or black, I think that makes up the rest of the city.
Speaker 3: Council.
Speaker 2: So with that being said, it was turned into a race issue, not a people issue. Oh and you know why they're also now revisiting this because the state just passed a law on the budget that said, yeah, Charlotte, you have to write back and check for sixty three million dollars. And Cornelis is like, well, we can't afford that, and Minhill's like we can't afford that, and Monroe's like we can afford that. So all these small towns are like, we can't afford that. We can't just struct a check. So guess what, we're gonna vote for it, and we're gonna put all the money on Matthews and Muckleburg County and the city is Charlotte. You three are not going to be responsible for having to pay this back. That's what's changed. You voted for it. You turned it into a race issue, NCDOT, and the state legislature said you now have to pay back the sixty three million dollars because you had initially voted for it.
Speaker 3: That's what's changed. Don't act like you don't know.
Speaker 5: Because if the answer is, well, nothing changed, but the pressure did. That's not a transportation decision that's a political one. Wearing an engineering.
Speaker 2: Costume political decision. No, No, turning it into a race issue. You made it a political situation by turning it into a race issue. And the city is Charlotte changing their vote only because of race. That's why. That's how it became political. You made it political.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing that most people don't realize. This project isn't one decision, it's two. First, is the widening itself justified? Second, if it is, how do we make sure that the neighborhoods along that corridor actually sharing that benefit?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's justified. Simple, it's purely justified. It's twenty nine homes that owe. Those twenty nine homes, many are not owned by the people that live there. They just rent, They don't even own the homes. Number two, the fact that people are now going to be able to get around and go from point A to point B without having to deal with it. And how are the neighborhood that's going to benefit. Oh, I think it's like seventy five million dollars. The state is committed to invest in those neighborhoods, seventy five million dollars that you will now not get a single penny.
Speaker 5: Of those are two separate questions with separate answers, and right now we're being asked to say yes to both at once without proof of either. A family making fifty thousand dollars a year doesn't care about interchange design. They care about whether they can actually afford the toll lane and whether they're the bus that actually gets them to work on time. If we can't answer that, we haven't done the analysis.
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 2: If you're taking a bus to work, you're not worrying about the toll lanes. That doesn't make sense. If you're taking the bus to work, you don't care about the toll lanes. And by the way, that we do have these things called bus express lanes, don't we.
Speaker 3: Right then we got those? Okay, just asking asking for a friend. We've done the announcement. So here's what I'm asking for.
Speaker 5: Plainly, show the marginal benefit of every mile, Show the alternatives that will compare. Show me that the community get something because the project earned it, not something to get us to stop asking.
Speaker 3: Okay, show you the benefits. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Again, almost all of the top ten most congested areas in the state of North Carolina are right there on I seventy seven, between Caron's Boulevard and uptown. That's the benefits expanding it and loosing it up. That's the benefits this community getting seventy five million dollars invested into the community.
Speaker 3: That's the benefits.
Speaker 2: One hundred and sixty two thousand cars a day go in between that area Carolyn's Boulevard and uptown, So you're sacrificing one hundred and sixty two thousand people of cars. More than that people wise, one hundred and sixty two thousand cars a day for twenty nine houses, many of which are not even owned by the people that live there.
Speaker 5: Not a payoff to certain leaders to get them to change a position. I'm not a posed to investment. I'm opposed to skipping the homework. And here's what nobody else has put on the table.
Speaker 3: It's seven months of this fight.
Speaker 5: Nobody has proposed an actual path pasting, just pressure, just the deadline, just reverse your voter pay us that well, the same legislation creating that threat also creates the off ramp. NCDOT can determine that our decision was a legitimate act by a duly constituted board not unilateral, and if they make that finding that arbitrary ninety day deadline, it disappears and we get to do exactly what everyone claims they want, the real network analysis on its own timeline, not a manufactured want, and this isn't theoretical. We've already funded UNC Charlotte to help design the updated regional model that makes that analysis possible. The groundwork is already in motion, but we need ncdot's partnership to upgrade our transportation and planning tools so we can stop having these conversations and.
Speaker 3: Start seeing better outcomes.
Speaker 5: Nobody demanding we reverse course has offered that sequence, but I am because it's the only version of this that isn't just round two of the same sight.
Speaker 3: So, mister governor, are you with us?
Speaker 2: Actually, I can go ahead and tell you from sources close to the situation, No, he's not the governor. What's I seventy seven tollin's expanded, So my sources are telling me, and again, you're sacrificing one hundred and sixty two thousand cars a day for twenty nine homes, many of which are not owned by the people that live there. And it's not the same thing and by the way, this was a state law that was put.
Speaker 3: Into the budget.
Speaker 2: NCUDT ncdut no, no, no, no, you have to pay it back period as you should.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to breaking with Fred Jefson. I've got a vowel totally ninety seconds or so, so real quick.
Speaker 2: The House not long ago up in DC passed a law that basically said no more insider trading. Even some Democrats got on board, which now means Nancy Pelosi's gravy train has immediately stopped. Doesn't matter because she's been doing it for thirty forty years and she's damn near a billionaire. When you outperform by like tenfold the top investment firms in the entire country, you think that's by coincidence and pure luck and just the fact that she's a genius. I don't think so. I don't think so so anyways, but the House did pass that earlier today, so again, uh, that's that's that's good. I know a lot of people in the House were I have been using that for a long time.
Speaker 3: It's expensive to live in DC A little ex day, come don't r. So hopefully I'll.
Speaker 2: Be able to speak to a couple of congressmen later this week, tomorrow or Friday about that very vote, and you know the situation going on and around. All right, everyone that's gonna do it for us tonight. I'm a little upset Lonnie's not playing TJ and the Bear music, my theme music every day. I told you, well, I want to do this every day leading into TJ.
Speaker 3: TJ Ritchie.
Speaker 2: So but anyways, so TJ, you got a reprieve for today, My man, you gotta reprieve.
Speaker 3: We'll start back up tomorrow.
Speaker 2: All right, everyone, my name is Brett Jensen, and you've been listening to Breaking with Brett Jensen.
Speaker 4: TJ.
Speaker 3: Richie's coming up next