Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of the Fair Second Podcast.
Speaker 2: My name is Mike. I'm your host for.
Speaker 3: The evening, and today we are going to be reviewing the movie The Long Walk. Uh to my left eye of Ken, to Ken's left eye of Rod, to Rod's left, we have a special guest, a b. Thank you for coming through technically kind of in front of me. See see what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: He's already and awesome, Dick.
Speaker 3: I didn't say where he was from. I thought he was going to do that, see how they do every time. All I said was special guest Ab. It's AB's job to say.
Speaker 2: Where he's from. It sound like you're about to jump the spipe. I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't even get to say nothing because Rod jumped in, as always.
Speaker 2: From the to be so glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you for being here, man, God damn.
Speaker 3: And AB's left, I have Spike, Jesus Spike's left, I have myself and uh, yeah, we're gonna talk about the Long Walk.
Speaker 2: Let's do a quick, quick, quick round the table.
Speaker 3: I'm not starting with you, Spike, with you, Uh, give me a high level what did you think about this movie?
Speaker 2: Ken? I enjoyed the movie you know. Yeah, yeah, I enjoyed the movie. Rod, what'd you think of this movie? Yeah? I thought it was good. I thought it was good. Ab what'd you think of this movie?
Speaker 5: I liked to man one of those ones I thought about since I watched it.
Speaker 6: I say, contrary to probably belief, I text him as soon as I got I was like, did you see this ship? Because I gonna at first, I.
Speaker 2: Was like that I like that because I was entertained the whole time. It was good. But I did like it. I liked it though good. I'm glad everybody liked it. I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 3: It's definitely one of one of the best thing I've seen this year. I have a great time with this movie. I had no idea what was gonna be about. They did the trailers perfectly, except they did show some people dying what they shouldn't have done. But yeah, I thought it was really, really, really fucking good. Probably one of my It's easily top three Stephen King adaptations, easily.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so it starts off, what.
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: If it's moving? Can you tighten it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I saw you adjusted it. I was gonna tell you to adjust.
Speaker 3: It telepit moved or if I just didn't closer to your mouth.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's that should be good enough. And it's going on an individual channel, so he'll be able.
Speaker 2: To okay, crazy, all right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So the movie starts off with telling us that Raymond Garrity has won the lottery, which gets some to the Long Walk, which is scene as this kind of a way of breaking out of poverty. As the winner of the Long Walk gets hell of money and a wish. So driving in the car, we hear the radio saying that the war tore the nation apart. The first question I had Spike, are you kind of sick of these type of movies? Or was this automatically intriguing?
Speaker 2: It was automatically intriguing.
Speaker 6: I actually wish I had gotten more, which this actually made me want to read a book to understand more about the world. I love world building, it's one of my favorite things. I wish I had known the context of what they were speaking of, but I realized they ain't have enough time to talk about that.
Speaker 5: Same with you, ab Yeah, for sure. It reminded me a little bit of Civil War came out like a year or two ago. Another post you know war that hasn't happened yet, and it fits the political climate of of current so ironically, I know, it's super old the book is, and it worked then. The fact that it still.
Speaker 2: Works now it is kind of crazy. Fact there what time period? It was hard. That was one thing I was trying to like put piece together.
Speaker 5: You couldn't tell the car, you couldn't, but they had they had cameras.
Speaker 2: It was. Yeah, it was weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I didn't say damn yeh yeh I do.
Speaker 6: I'm like, think back on I'm like them on the Long Walk with my rations, get my rations.
Speaker 3: We're y'all kind of sick of these post apocalyptic movies that were, y all cool.
Speaker 2: No, I'm good. I like them. They don't bother me. Yeah, it was a different spin on it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I thought it was very created, especially as like someone who directs, like it's like, man, are they really gonna stay here in this this world?
Speaker 5: Like right here in this role? So yeah, I thought it was very creatively done.
Speaker 3: So yeah, all right, So we kind of meet our group of characters. We meet Ray Garretty obviously, meet Pete mcgreeese, Stebbins, Gary Barkovich, Hank Olsen, Curly. Then we meet the major played by my motherfucking man Luke motherfucker Scot Walker, and this bitch Mark Hamill. It's handing out tags. What'd you think of the he's an rod that he gave for the Long Walk?
Speaker 2: What did he say? Hey, b what did you.
Speaker 1: Think of the reasoning he gave for the Long Walk?
Speaker 5: I thought it was reach, but I'm also trying to put myself in this world, but without the details of what all has happened. It was a little bit of a reach trying to tell us that this will motivate other people, and I'm kind of like, yeah, will it? Like I'm not really seeing exactly how that works and not having all the the details, you know, that that kind of blew it.
Speaker 2: But I let it. I let it live. But it was a little bit of a reach though. Interesting Do you remember this now? Rock? Yeah? So I don't, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 7: I did wonder, Okay, like, yeah, how does this motive like Motherfucker's dying?
Speaker 5: Because in my mind, I'm like I saw a part of the trailer. I'm like, don't Motherfucker's dying? And this shit like that would have been another thing to inspire if you just like, you know, oh oh I thought you was. I thought you were saying something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it would be one thing to inspire if you you know, it's just like, oh, yeah, I'm tired.
Speaker 2: Whatever I wanted I did, I did it good. I just lost.
Speaker 7: But nah, nigga niggas died like so, I don't know if they was televising that or not, but it were Yeah, so how does that inspire?
Speaker 6: Like I don't understand, Like I don't want to do that, but he said it was to keep going though, like to inspire the nation to keep going through all the hard times. I thought it made sense in the sense of everybody was so broke and down tried and that this is the only way that you can turn your family around and you everybody had to sign up for, which we found out later when he was like, it wasn't really a choice.
Speaker 2: The only thing I'll give it is is it reminded me of like Hunger Games. That's exactly what I thought.
Speaker 7: It's the same guy perfect, So yeah, look, it felt like Hunger Games and people were dying fat they knew what they were getting themselves into. They knew that it was possible they were going to die or whatever, they were doing it for the greater goods, So I guess that's I guess.
Speaker 3: That's talking about their motivation. But I'm talking about the explanation of why the major thinks the hunger that games, why he thinks the long walk is beneficial for America. And yeah, he's saying that the country is in a financial struggle right now and this is supposed to inspire people to value work ethic. Yeah, that makes sense to me one hundred percent when you look at how Americans are now or even back when we were younger them fucking was it Sally Strugglers with the little African kids that she'd be posting like Americans automatically go to, oh man, my life is pretty good, because it's not.
Speaker 2: That, you know what I mean? And that's what he was saying Propagand yes, he says it's value.
Speaker 3: It makes you value work ethic and it's basically pushing me to stop being lazy. If these guys can march three hundred miles with barely any food, then the least you can do is get your ass up and go to work for fucking sixty hours.
Speaker 2: I get that point, But what about the killing part. That's the part. I don't even think that that's all far fetched.
Speaker 3: I really don't, especially if we're looking at a post apocalyptic America, if we look at the way we view death now, as we just discussed, I definitely don't think that that's too far fetched that Americans would see, especially poor people dying.
Speaker 2: It's downtrodden people dying. Well, shit, at least that's not me.
Speaker 3: So I can go to work and go to this factory and work eighty hours because at least I don't have to walk three hundred miles and die.
Speaker 5: People seem desensitized to it too. They had kids watching it. Yeah, so it seemed that makes when you put it like that, that makes this it's like the running.
Speaker 4: Man form of entertainment. It's eventually what you know. So, yeah, all that makes sense what he was saying. You know too, Yeah, put the microphone a little closer for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we then hear the rules of the game. You walk to there's one person left. You can't walk under three miles an hour. If you step off the pavement, you get a ticket. Obviously the ticket means death. You get a warning if you drop below three miles an hour, three warnings means you die. So once they start walking, did you think that that it was it for Barkovich when he stopped to get a rock out of his shoe and got all those warnings.
Speaker 2: Ken, Nah, not him, Not him.
Speaker 4: He seemed like he was gonna be a key figure for the movie. But I think they did Ariller really well because it made it seem like he was actually gonna get got you know. But but nah, I had a feeling because he was actually part of that group in the beginning when they were introducing all the kind of like the characters.
Speaker 2: So, but it would have been good to take him out early because he was like, oh.
Speaker 6: Shit, yeah, you agree that she would have been good to take him out early, But he did. He was a heavy contributor throughout the movie. I did enjoy his character. I find it interesting how they were rooting for like come on, come on, like get up. I found that interesting because, like ros said, everybody gonna die, y'all. Ain't like I'm not rooting for you to get up and start beg walking, like this is one last person I gotta beat.
Speaker 1: So that was one rule that didn't click until.
Speaker 3: After the movie was over, because I thought, and I'm still not all the way sure. I thought it was just a matter of if there's two of us and one of us gets across the finish line before the person behind me.
Speaker 2: Then I went, but that doesn't mean line fish line exactly.
Speaker 3: So I'm still and especially when Ray starts talking about what his wishes or not Ray he starts talking about what his wish is. We'll get to that later, but yeah, I was. I was a bit confused about that too, like why are you rooting because eventually everybody but you.
Speaker 2: Have to die.
Speaker 5: I think they were trying to show how good of that they had, good character people walking for the most part.
Speaker 2: Not everybody.
Speaker 5: Some people were jerks, but they were trying. I think they were trying to show that they had good character, good hearts, and they hadn't succumbed to what the what it seems like the country had succumbed to to kill people in the street, senseless this senseless that, yeah, pursuit of money that they still had, like a moral core.
Speaker 2: That's fair. We we body, we haven't body any type thing.
Speaker 3: Like everybody out here fighting, struggling, We out here together you know, Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're they're young, you know, all of them were supposed to be young, so they still they viewed the world differently. They're not jaded, so they're kind of rooting for one another. But Stephen King, I believe I read that, you know, I think the book was seventy nine something like that, but this was like around the It was something about the Vietnam War. Yeah, so taking that book and applying it what's happening here to that time period, you would kind of see how soldiers that were drafted in a war would root for one another. But eventually everybody's gonna die, but we're going to try to hold onto each other, you know, until it's inevitable.
Speaker 3: But at least with soldiers, the whole point is they don't want their guys to die, whereas here it's like I may not want you to die, but you still have to die in order for me to live.
Speaker 2: Right, So yeah, it was it was.
Speaker 3: It was a little teeny bit confusing, but it wasn't confusing enough to hurt the story.
Speaker 2: Agree, I think it made the story better.
Speaker 6: Actually, The that weird dynamic of man he cares so much about this person, but eventually one of them is going to die.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So when Pete and Ray are talking about the Long Walk, what did you think about Ray's idea about the volunteering In quotes Rod about you know, his his idea of is this actually voluntary?
Speaker 2: Who's who's Who's that?
Speaker 3: Pete and Ray were discussing that, and Ray gave the idea about, you know, is this actually voluntary?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was trying to figure out that part out too, because I thought, like they this is I thought this wasn't the first time they had actually done it. This is like the second time they had done they had been doing it, Yeah, I thought, but I had thought it was it was they hadn't done it in a while or something like that, like, which is why he was saying, well.
Speaker 2: Again, I think.
Speaker 5: That it was he was kind of like on some conspiracy theory type, right, But I thought what he said was pointed though, where it's you you have a choice quote unquote, but the situation is so dire.
Speaker 2: Everybody's so broke, everybody's so fucked up.
Speaker 5: That you have if you want trying to make anything out of life, you need to do the Long Walk. And that's where most people were, So you think you have a choice when really it's.
Speaker 2: The only option.
Speaker 5: It's the only option that And I thought that was pointed because you could point to impoverished neighborhoods and who's in charge of making that look the way it looks, and yeah, it's a whole rabbit hole you can go down with that, And I think that's what he was trying to say.
Speaker 6: I thought, I thought there was a great monologue in and it was a great starting point to that build up with his dad because when he said it and that he was like he was telling.
Speaker 2: The other guy.
Speaker 6: He was like, where'd you get the idea of nobody actually signs up? I mean nobody actually volunteers, because everybody signs up. And he asked me, he was like, how many people you know didn't sign up? Everybody did it? And then it hit the black who told you that? And then I think it was great building towards this relationship with his dad.
Speaker 2: But I thought that was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree the point that he's pushing through where everybody is desperate, yep, so's they view it as there's no way out of this desperation other than the long walk and he makes this point that was so good. He's like, look, if the entire system says there's one escape patch to get away from this, everybody is gonna go to the escape patch. And you know, like Abe was said, we look at all of the things that we are involved in as voluntary and then there's some of us nerves that are.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, capitalism sucks, but we're still a part of it. There's no other option.
Speaker 3: We have to we have to be a part of this system because this is the only option for most of us, especially if you're already desperate and downtrodden. Like the worst thing on earth probably to be right now is a poor person that hates capitalism because you have no fucking option at all to do something other than because it takes money to break away from these systems.
Speaker 2: So, man, just in this part alone, I was like, oh this.
Speaker 5: Movie is Yeah, that was a bar sh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Capitalism was definitely a lens that I looked at it through, and it was just like the things that they were saying, the things that was happening, the major and the things that he was saying to just encourage them to move forward, like you can make it, you can break freeze.
Speaker 2: That sounds like your boss at the John.
Speaker 4: The American Dream, you know, and all the other stuff. You just got to work hard enough. Yeah, like yeah, yeah, it was yeah.
Speaker 2: It it really made the language in here different without being on the nose. Ye yeah, because you knew you like, in the beginning, they kind of set it up.
Speaker 4: They told you, like pretty much laid out what is really kind of about, you know, and then from there, like you said, they kind of was very nuanced with some of the things that were happening because it was awesome about these characters and a human story as well.
Speaker 1: So what do you think about Curly getting God? Curly was the young kid?
Speaker 2: That hilarious because Curly was trying his damness? Did you see his face? Bike?
Speaker 4: But it was smart to start with the youngest one, sixteen year old kids. And again, the other thing I was thinking about is of course war as well, because he was a kid that's trapped in.
Speaker 5: The war and he's he don't want to go to war.
Speaker 4: He goes maybe after bravery, maybe for his family, maybe to make a living, and he goes to his place and then he realized, like you said, it's by what the fuck did I sign?
Speaker 2: Up for and he gets God, but man he.
Speaker 3: Had he's trying to call the c y'all didn't get the y'all didn't get the conspiracy. There he was, he was, his name was Curly, he was young. And how did he died against bike? What did he get in his Charlie? Charlie horse?
Speaker 1: And then he died from what gun violence?
Speaker 2: Stay woke. That's the hell of a turning point.
Speaker 5: That's take a shot.
Speaker 2: I don't even get it once.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about. Damn red fish Blue like one too right in the hat. At least Ill explained they can't get mad at him. They can't, right.
Speaker 6: I think I do think that that was the first indication because as you think about this movie and going into it, how simple it is, just like, I mean, they just gotta walk. But then they showed the small things that can happen that could suck up your whole We got a rocking issue. Oh we got a Charlie who it wouldn't normally matter, but you gotta keep walking, bro, Like what you're gonna do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And that made it that much better. As the movie went, I was like, oh, ship, Charlie got stretched that out like it's nothing you could do and you died because you had a charge horse.
Speaker 2: That was real good. He was.
Speaker 3: He was bugging y'all laughing at that ship. I was like, yo, in the movie. He was the first one us. I believe I laughed in the movie. People just looking at me.
Speaker 2: They should have been looked at you like you were crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't hurt as much as a bullet Jesus and was crazy.
Speaker 2: They made sure have showed the cry. I was like, oh, wow, for the kid.
Speaker 4: Three miles per hour, isn't like that's a pretty pretty.
Speaker 2: Good paste, bro. I hainte that fast thought?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, so that's a brisk walk. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now what I'm saying, look back to that.
Speaker 7: Realist you're watching the Actually, if you exercise, I have the treadmill.
Speaker 2: I know the speed three hours is pretty decent. You walk the screening.
Speaker 5: They did a screen in the l A where it was on treadmills instead of seats. You had to walk the three miles per hour the whole time and if you if you stopped or took a break, then you you had to get kicked out.
Speaker 2: I might try to.
Speaker 3: That's good marketing, is really marketing you're gonna kick me out this movie.
Speaker 5: I have to pay pro.
Speaker 2: A special screen. Maybe it was. I don't know, because I know intrigued because it puts you in the movie.
Speaker 1: No, it's not watch them walking, but you're doing it.
Speaker 2: The same and now movie and now you're thinking like.
Speaker 4: You it's not as as somebody I think to two point two point seven is probably yeah, I think that could be done three hours.
Speaker 2: Now the movie was two hours or four minutes?
Speaker 5: What really?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, no it was. It was. It was an hour. Another thing about I don't bro it was an hour forty ends. I remember sitting down, like I watched the movie that long. I watched it twice. I went to AMC is six thirty. I got it. That doesn't mean the movie was that lost by.
Speaker 5: The Coca Cola commercial and popcorn unless I go the movie. But I like how they're getting created with the promos though, and they didn't that with weapons like the times that started too whatever the.
Speaker 2: Kid yeah fourteen Yeah, I thought that was cool too.
Speaker 4: But real quick while we talking about the speed in the book, because he didn't have and I just I saw ama that Stephen King did on it. That's how I know this, but but he said in the book is four miles fou But he didn't know though that that's unreasonable, so he changed it.
Speaker 2: He said, he glad that they're changing the three four is.
Speaker 1: You're probably right, but I thought it was more than that. But at any rate, Olympic.
Speaker 2: Everybody walking like that.
Speaker 3: So Pete has this idea of not thinking about making it to the end, just making it to the next moment. But shortly after that, one of the other kids, Ewing, has a seizure and dies. But then shortly after that, Ray asked Pete about the scar on his face.
Speaker 2: Rod, were you.
Speaker 3: Intrigued by the fact that Pete, who seems so happy and open and honest about everything immediately doesn't want to talk about the scar.
Speaker 7: No, yeah, I knew that probably was a soft spot for him. Whatever the scar was, it made it. It was too prominent, right, I mean, like, I knew they were going to bring it up at some point, you know what I'm saying. And so yeah, I wasn't. I wasn't surprised that he wasn't ready to talk about that. So, yeah, what about you again? Oh I wanted to know what it was. I would have asked met man, what happened?
Speaker 2: That's what you would do that.
Speaker 4: You don't know me like that? But uh, but no, I think they did it well. I think they did it well to set it up for what was to come later because yea, his monologue was great. I want to speak to his performance too.
Speaker 6: He did a fantastic so I think he stole the show, to be honest with you. But yeah, I thought he would respond like that. That monologue was called I've been I've been walking my whole life. But even before that, when he talked about the moments, I looked at you.
Speaker 5: Like allegorithm like life like people are so focused on the end when really it's about the things that happened in between. And they even said that toward the end, about the you can know somebody for three hours, three years, or three decades. You can if you connect, then you connected all the connection all that was hard.
Speaker 4: That's actually a really good point about the long walk, which is life, and you're just trying to get to the next moment in life and enjoyed the join these moments to get to the next moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you looked at as adults you ever see kids are fascinated by like the Yeah, well we have kind of took it from granted, it's always that. I thought, that's what he kind of made.
Speaker 3: How the birds fly right, gotta be working ten minutes just asked me that, like why can't we fly?
Speaker 2: Like look, God and niggas that way to be quiet?
Speaker 5: So I like you like how he's been on the come up though, that guy he's I don't know if you.
Speaker 2: Remember, but rolaying. Yep, he's on roylaye. And then that's the movie I have brought to. Yeah, that's what I watched it. You did? You did? You did? I don't know if you like it. I don't think you and I. It was him and a girl and it was like a romantic comedy. Oh that was him.
Speaker 3: I from Alien and right and he was Alien. That's when were you watch Industry here in that too. I haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 2: I know ye though, yeah, man, he's he's and getting better.
Speaker 3: Until this, I didn't care about him. I thought he was fine in Alien. I thought it was fine.
Speaker 2: And this, yeah, nah, he did his thing. He killed it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what accent he was doing.
Speaker 2: It was fine. I had it, bruh. That's why I watched it. Twice.
Speaker 4: There was another reason because there was a bunch of girls kids in there talking, so they run the whole experience.
Speaker 2: That's why when I test y'all some kid, it.
Speaker 4: Was like about thirty forty minutes left in the movies, like, shut the fuck up, bro, it got whitet. They didn't say ship the rest of the movie real quick. And then when I was so, I stayed behind. I was like, I want to see who was talking. So I was out through my phone awaiting kids. So the guy came out. I was like, man, I ain't know it was kids. Man, I feel bad, man, you know I could. He said, my customers the funk out and I said, I said, no, you should feel bad. They shouldn't have been talking. And then they came out. They were like, man, you know he didn't have to tell him shut the funk up.
Speaker 2: We were talking. That's kind They weren't just strang. I moved there.
Speaker 3: It was packed like it wasn't an empty seat left where I was in and almost sat on this side.
Speaker 4: So so them and the accents. Because I can't understand the Asian, I couldn't understand that the black guy, I can't understand the other black guy. I can understand the white guy. I can't understand that. I can stand.
Speaker 2: Going. I thought that was just Bro was killing me everybody else. Isn't he from England?
Speaker 6: He's the black guys always. I think I think he was England trying to do a Southern accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like, what is yeah?
Speaker 4: You talking about six that's a Baker Art Baker. I can understand him in points. But African, dude, Yeah, God, Bro, Africa to do it. African trying to do that Mississippi trying to do a Southern ship. Jesus Christ gonna get just dunk be jumping all over you.
Speaker 2: I'm glad they gave.
Speaker 6: Him the acting opportunity, but I was like, they playing with us. Man, we know this dude not from the Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Come on wrong.
Speaker 4: We can Maryland sometimes understand African, and here you go trying to do a son. You know, people struggling with people. I'm just saying, like some folks do struggle with Southern that sense and the African Southern.
Speaker 2: That's ship. That's insane.
Speaker 3: They never been double. That's a crazy it's never been. That's a crazy combination. That's like getting catch up in solid dress how you're gonna make this ship work? But I thought he was great anyway, bankovicage Barkovich starts teasing of the kids name Rank, which turns into Rank trying to hit him, which leads to Rank breaking the rules and getting shot, and this becomes a discussion around Barkovic being a murderer.
Speaker 2: Ab was he a murderer?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: He definitely played a role, clearly, because if he hadn't been antagonizing them, then nothing that would have happened. But I don't know, and may hopefully y'all can fill me in, Well, why was he so did Why did that affect him so much?
Speaker 2: Though? Rank?
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that what at least from what I got, is that Rank to start to lose it earlier than everybody else did.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's all I took from just losing his mind because.
Speaker 2: Of the situation.
Speaker 6: Well, I thought it was because he came from an environment where he was the one being teased like that, because he said he never had a group, He never had people, He was always a loner.
Speaker 2: Okay, Why did that bother Rank so much? Where you wanted to fight?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You dude, the gut shot was? I don't know. I thought you wasn't good, was he ranked? I don't know. They were trying to, I think, and.
Speaker 4: That's probably why he was lasting because Berks was calling him sissy and stuff like that, and that's why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's what guys do even when they're not gay. So I never really got the impression that he was actually gay.
Speaker 2: He he kind of had the man rhythm, That's what I'm talking about. I think they implied.
Speaker 4: I feel like, yeah, it looked like it. It wasn't shut up, stop you're talking about the person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we had a bad anyway.
Speaker 1: For the record, for those who't have video, I am not laughing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but what But I think why Rank reacted that way is because if that is indeed the case to connect all the ship together is that if he grew up being teased like Dan T's, then if Berkevich is teasing him, he's gonna react violently to being he was ship.
Speaker 2: Hold on, you know, no, See that's what happens, Jalen. You can't take no days off no more, bro, that's we lost connection to the camera.
Speaker 4: Hold on.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. See it's a long walkome be a long ass review times. Yeah, we have to cut the conversations. Let's cut. We can't cut the movie.
Speaker 3: I think we should cut the combo because we've dropped a lot of conbos lately, back to back.
Speaker 2: People know they do, but you already watched the movie. Let's just sue it. It won't be long that show movie too. Yeah, so he's here to do the movie history of all right, we are back you sure, Yeah, the cable just became unplugged. All right.
Speaker 3: So Rod rob Ronald gets the ships and ends up dying for it. And after that, Ray gets delirious and starts accusing Pete of wanting him dead. And shortly after this one of the most tense scenes of the film happens. This is where they're trying to make it up the hill, maintaining that three miles per hour speed Rod.
Speaker 2: Many of them don't make it.
Speaker 3: Ray almost dies and Pete has to come help him up the hill, and afterwards Ray apologizes to him for what he said.
Speaker 2: What did you think about this scene? I'm sorry, it's the only one. I'm gonna have to go back just a little bit every time. You can't. Yeah, where are you going? Go ahead? Motherfucker? Fall asleep like he fell asleep.
Speaker 3: I thought it was weird he fell asleep while he was walking. Never you never fall asleep standing up, not walking, not walking. But if you if you're walking for that long, I think it's completely feasible that your body.
Speaker 2: Could do that. I'm not saying that you can't.
Speaker 7: I thought I thought it was interesting because people sleep walk, right, that's a good point. Yeah, So so I was just like, okay, I like that they.
Speaker 2: Look like sleep walking is different. But him get this every time him. It was just the one that I thought, I know, I didn't think it's kid about the Oh wow, I didn't think about it anyway.
Speaker 7: Let him get his thing on because he got to add this ship right right right. But but no, yeah, at first I was like, damn, I don't know. But then I started thinking about sleepwalking. I don't know what you have to say about that. But I started thinking about sleepwalking, and then like, and I'm just trying to make it make sense, like damn, this motherfucker's actually dreaming like while standing up walking like three miles per hour.
Speaker 4: So right, I did the same question because I was wondering how to fuckers sleep? So I did look it up, and yeah, it's definitely possible. They call it micro sleeping. So yeah, and that's why you saw later on that they were holding each other y Yeah, yeah, I got you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so but yeah, because I was like, how the hell that? Because I was like you, I was like, what the hell?
Speaker 5: It was? The keeping the pace part?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think that it's almost like your body goes in the cruise control. You're already walking that fast, and then your body's continues going that fast. Honestly, he probably would have made it further if you had just stayed asleep, you know, because of your body doesn't know it's tired.
Speaker 7: But I feel like they were walking for quite some time while they was sleep. Actually that's what it actually, well, that's what it implied.
Speaker 3: I don't think so because it was quick. You can you can fall asleep for five minutes and your dream will be like an hour, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I think they were.
Speaker 1: Trying to play with the time, but he's probably only sleep for like thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't want to go somewhere. That was interesting that you know that they threw that in there, like what the fuck? Like asleep?
Speaker 7: But the hell part was intense. It's hell, like, man, that that was a really really good thing because a by this time it was it was dark. Yeah, yeah, it rains, I think right, huh it was the hill raining, Yeah, it was raining.
Speaker 2: It was raining too. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Man, they made this part intense. I don't know what did you act specifically, but yeah, I did think this part was really good.
Speaker 3: To your point about the hill, we all watched a lot of movies, so I'm thinking, Okay, they're not feel to show us every kill.
Speaker 6: How they gonna get the majority of these people out of here? And I thought the heill was brilliant. Yeah, I was like boom, and it was so intense, like roster like. It was like they were shooting right behind somebody that was walking the right.
Speaker 2: It was really good.
Speaker 4: And Stevens giving the backstory about what happened in the previous ones him for us, Yes, actually understand watching me the people that ding.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was a great reveal. It's like, oh, that's how they gonna narrow it down.
Speaker 3: But yeah, what I was really really focusing on this scene was hearing I don't know why, but hearing Ray apologized to Pete for what he had said to him. Because Pete didn't have to come back and help him. After what he said, he I felt like, you want me dad, you know you're trying to get I don't know what it was, but something about hearing that apology, I was like, god, damn, this movie is.
Speaker 2: Really like this movie is good.
Speaker 4: What I liked about it was actually like Pete mccrees just him coming to grab this guy, this random guy that he just met and grabbing and the look of intensity on his face like I got you, yeah man, and yeah he was like don't where I got you. And it's kept going and then like like you said the apology him just like, oh my god, I can't believe I just said that.
Speaker 5: And Pete mccree's understanding, like, bro, you're delirious. We're all delirious, so you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, No, that that was that was really dope because because Garrett, because this head he told his white people, it was like, nah, you want me dead, but but get the away for me.
Speaker 2: And I thought it was really good.
Speaker 3: Like all of it added up to his monologue about like what I've been through like and why I would help you, like later on when.
Speaker 2: He talked about like his life.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, So what did you think about the conversation where Pete's telling Ray how he thinks this is a battle of the mind and not the physical, and that he doesn't hate anybody enough to win, so when the time comes, he'll just sit down and die peacefully.
Speaker 2: I thought he was full of shit. I thought he was full of shit. I ain't gonna live.
Speaker 6: I didn't think that, like you sign up for this at that point because I didn't know his backstory. Though, like, once I found out the backstory, that made a lot more sense. When he was explaining there was he was helping people throughout the whole time. Yeah, but it could have been, like dude said, to get in their head and then when we get close. That's what I thought before I heard the backstory. When I heard the backstory, it's true now, like he was being authentic when he said that. But in the moment, I didn't think that he was saying that if you got that far, you would just sit down like a plot.
Speaker 2: I thought that was I thought that would be the twist. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Even even so, I feel I feel why you would think that. I always believed him after he said that shit about it not being about anything, but moments I believed him. I think he thought he was going there to help people. I don't think Pete ever really thought he was gonna win.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I think Pete went there to help other people. And he even said that if I will get to that part later, but if I win, my wish is going to be to help others. And I think that's what he was going for. So when he said that, I believed him. He's like, when I get tired, I'm gonna sit down and die peacefully. I believe one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I mean he was. He was so believable that, like, at one point I thought he was just a figment of somebody's imagination, whether it was Ray or something. I did have that thought. I know, yeah, because I know.
Speaker 7: Steven Spielwerk, he but Stephen King, he put supernatural stuff in his movies, right, so I thought that was gonna be something.
Speaker 2: I was like, man, what was this motherfucking not real? He's just like a figurment of somebody.
Speaker 7: Especially when he when he fell asleep and woke back up, I was just like, wait a minute, hold on, what's going on?
Speaker 2: So for a while I did think that.
Speaker 3: I thought that I realized everybody was talking to him. Yeah, so I was like, Okay, I'm good because I was that.
Speaker 2: Was gonna oh my god.
Speaker 7: Keep him going like he's somebody in his mind to keep him going. Yeah, keep him like moving.
Speaker 3: Like I'm sick of seeing movies, like right right, right, be real can wear with a big scar down his face, like I'm not trying to see this ship.
Speaker 2: That's how he died, and like.
Speaker 3: I died in Long Walks and they cut my face. Get the funk out of here, man. But no, I'm glad that's not the case. But Harkness, Harkness I found to be a very interesting character. But he's been documenting the whole thing. But he's somehow broken his ankles to him.
Speaker 2: Getting shot because he can't walk. But that one of the worst ones, was it? Man? Like he watched.
Speaker 3: Yeah after this, uhlu, Skywalker tells him they officially made it one hundred miles. But the question I want to ask Ken, what did you think about the discussion about wishes where Pete says that his wish is for there to be two winners for the Long Walk.
Speaker 4: I thought it was beautiful man, like he had developed such uh a kinshaw, this bond with this random white guy that he met on this walk that and that he would love that both of them could survive this and do good in the world. That was what he wished for so and nothing else. Man, that was a very self selfless act on his path.
Speaker 2: So I thought it was dope.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a good part from what I could understand his dialogue.
Speaker 2: That was one of the thing I thought that that was good. He had, he had some bars.
Speaker 5: I'll through this character.
Speaker 2: It was so good and I keep going to this.
Speaker 6: It was so good because later on you found out that he had lived this whole life alone. He had been going through all these places and this was the first time were one of the few times in his life that he really got to connect to somebody and he didn't want to, Like he could understand somebody taking this walk, building a connection and did you losing that person at the end of the walk.
Speaker 2: It was so good how he put that.
Speaker 1: But let me throw this back at y'all. I don't think he was talking about himself and.
Speaker 2: Ray Well, that wouldn't move be possible, right exactly? Yeah, So that's why I think it was.
Speaker 3: Even more beautiful because it was completely removed from himself. Because in order for him to win and even get the wish, Ray would have to be shot. So he was trying to make it to where future people could still win this game, but win it with somebody.
Speaker 2: That's why I thought this was just agree amazing.
Speaker 5: But it was like a flix, it was a flex. It was a like, I mean, once I win this ship, I still persist that. I don't know that he actually thought he was gonna win it.
Speaker 2: I mean, he signed pretty confident he was one of the most people. Yeah, he could win it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he said, I've been walking all my life, y'all ship on me.
Speaker 3: I don't think he put it like that he exactly, especially when on me. I don't think it was a level of cockiness to saying that he was looking around.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, he also said that if this was a physical content, because I would win, But it's mental things exactly.
Speaker 2: That's why I disagree with you. But it seemed like his mental was all the way there. He like, he's.
Speaker 1: That's fine, but we're going back to what y'all just said.
Speaker 3: I disagree with I don't think he was cocky and being like, y'all ain't got ship on me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna win.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no, no, that's not I don't know. I'm sorry, that's just what I was adding to it. I was adding like he ain't got I'm just saying that. He did say I've been walking all my life. I feel like I can win it.
Speaker 1: And they also looked at stabbings and said he's so in shape, he's a problem. He could easily win. He would have wanted, right, So, yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know. Maybe I need to see it again. I don't.
Speaker 1: I never got cockiness at all from Pete.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 3: If I win this, I'm gonna help people. When I get tired, I'm just gonna sit down and just die peacefully. Because if if he's that cocky, why would he even say that I will.
Speaker 2: He didn't look concerned.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 2: The only person one time, But that's what I'm saying. He's the only one that didn't go through anything.
Speaker 7: It just seemed like he was fine, And everybody seemed like everybody that was walking either was sick, tired with deception of the with the Native American guy CALLI yeah, yeah, yeah, those two are the only ones that just seemed like they were fine.
Speaker 2: It was no problem but I but that didn't give me cocky. That that gave me.
Speaker 1: I am content being here and helping these guys to the finish.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. That's why I said. I pulled back, like on the cocky came back, came up.
Speaker 7: All but get about it, but no, like no, it's more for more of a confidence. He seemed very confident that he could that he can get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Rob, what do you what do you think we finally get to hear about raised wish.
Speaker 2: Raised wish that?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, I thought that was interesting, something something I kind of figured that's what it was.
Speaker 2: It was something that happened.
Speaker 7: He obviously made it seem like he wanted to to to it at the general yeah or whatever, like like he he just snatched his number from him and all that type of shit, and he didn't respect them.
Speaker 2: So I said, pas real fast.
Speaker 3: I was that part bothered me. He shouldn't have done that because that gave everything away, right, So.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it seemed like, yeah, he had an issue with him and even even uh mccree's asked, what's up with you in the general major?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? Yeah? I wish they had left that out right, right, so I kind of, unfortunately, kind of what did you think? What's happening?
Speaker 3: I thought the same thing Rogers said. I was like, Oh, he's got an issue with the Major. The Major did something to him personally, and that's why he's I thought.
Speaker 2: He just had an issue with the whole thing. I didn't.
Speaker 6: They didn't give it away for me, and I was wondering, did y'all it seemed like he was kind of famous?
Speaker 2: Is it because he was in his home state? Okay, okay, that was all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I guess these people are looked at like celebrities, the same way we look at football.
Speaker 1: Players and baseball players and whatever else.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I'm glad you brought that part up because I was like the beginning of the movie, I was like, oh, something here, and you could have done this just as well without including that.
Speaker 5: That wouldn't have given away anything. But I like that the flashbacks showed the state of the world though. Yeah, like you could just get pulled out of your crib tried in the street and I was like, oh, okay, so that's what time it is.
Speaker 6: It made it made it make so much sense. The car ride with his mom and she was like you don't gotta do it. He was like, no, I do I have to do this because he's still holding in his head. You shot my dad now in the street for him trying to teach me about the world like that.
Speaker 2: That was fired.
Speaker 3: But I felt Pete in that your dad didn't have to do that because the general gave of the major gave him an option. He said, you know, ren renounce everything that you've done and I'll let you live. And he was just like, no, that was standing up for myself, believe in herself.
Speaker 6: I think that made you a powerful I think that made it more powerful. His dad to be teaching him that behind his back and then go out in the street. He couldn't be like, I know, you know what, you're right, his son don't look at him the same, even though he still has his son.
Speaker 2: But just from a moral standpoint, his dad couldn't do that. Yeah, you gotta stand for that. You can.
Speaker 3: You can be like, okay, I renounce it all, I apologize, I won't do it again. Then when you get back inside, like, son, this is the world we live in.
Speaker 2: Where you have to that would have been the smart thing to do.
Speaker 6: I agree, but I do I think it made for a hell of a character and show why he would go through so much and be in this long walk because of what his dad talking me.
Speaker 5: How would his son look at him if he would have done it right?
Speaker 2: If you done what are you teaching me bullshit? At least my son would be alive and I'd be alive to talk to him.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't know if the son would look at his dad as teaching bullshit if he explained to him. The reason why he renounced it basically is like I need to have us at the table. If I'm not around, then I'm unable to commit to help.
Speaker 2: In the fight.
Speaker 6: I don't disagree with that, but I do think it's more powerful and impactful on his life that he did it that way.
Speaker 2: No, because both of them motherfucker's dad boom.
Speaker 3: That is where I was gonna go right when Kim was done talking. It's basically selfish.
Speaker 2: That's realistic. Though.
Speaker 6: The people that we see that are really like for their calls, like they're not gonna get up in front of people and say, oh, well, you don't got to go to jail if you just say this.
Speaker 1: They don't say in jail like I can still talk to you while I'm in jail, That's true.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's what I'm saying. That's why this is different. You know what I'm saying, like you just shot me in the head in front of my wife and child. Because I wouldn't just lie to you and say I renounce it. I can continue doing what I'm doing one time back in the house. But I think the dad thought it's more important for you to see this. This is how they're gonna do is more important.
Speaker 5: Wheah, What makes you think that they haven't already been seeing that with other people.
Speaker 6: They may have been seeing it, And I do think that's why he was so interested in it, But I don't think it was personalized for him. That made it personal for him, That made it personal for him to go out there for the long walk. And I could wish for a million dollars, I could wish for all these things, but I'm gonna wish for his gun and I'm gonna shoot him so this ends, and this whole regime goes down. That comes from his dad getting shot right there. Yes, that don't happen if his dad don't get But for for the point of if this is real, what his dad did was stupid. God, what his dad did was fucking stupid. I've been doing this behind the government's back. I can continue trying to do this behind the government's back because even if I can't do it to the same capacity that I've been doing it previously, I might be able to inspire a greg or a Marcus or a Sean to be more powerful.
Speaker 3: I can't do that dead, because who even knows I'm dead? My family and the major I'm not really a martyr. I'm only a martyr to my son and now making my son go risk his life. And the whole point was all of y'all abandoned the mother, and it.
Speaker 2: Was all of you abandoned her. And he was doing this for He was just like his dad, for revenge. And that's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, But but you know what, the fact that we all have different takes on why this works shows how much of a good decision it was to do this in the film.
Speaker 2: Shows that this is fucking good ass writing. It was.
Speaker 3: So what did you think about the convo between Pete and Ray about the families sitting on the side of the road.
Speaker 2: I found this very interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm Rod I'm gonna actually know ab I'm an kick you because Rob probably gonna have to think about it.
Speaker 2: Can't remember this part. I'm definitely I remember the part. I can't remember what the cono.
Speaker 5: I remember the scene, but the specifics of the combo.
Speaker 2: Let me down.
Speaker 3: Let me down about Rob's face that he was like, wait, I remember this happening, but I don't remember what happened.
Speaker 2: Really, I forgot. This sounds like text. All right, does anybody else remember?
Speaker 3: I don't won't always have to be explaining it because it makes me like, I think it helps actually nobody.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is when there.
Speaker 3: Was like these families in the side of the road and they were watching and he and and Ray looked at it, like, look at these fucking assholes. They just want to see people die. But then Pete was like, well, look you see that, but I see a family being together in this moment. That's why I want to start with your ass. So it sounds like some raw ass ship.
Speaker 2: That's what piss me off.
Speaker 7: It is it is something I would say, yeah, yeah, I probably would see this is the way the way Pete saw yeah, because you know, I don't like to think negative that people have this negative ideal on things, you know, and yeah, it's just it's a family.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I agree more so with what Pete was saying versus.
Speaker 6: I thought that was brilliant in the sense of like, you see one thing, I see one thing and pective. It's all about perspective, and there's a saying that says, like, the first thought that you have, that's what you've seen from the world, what the world tells you. The second thought that you have, that's your personality.
Speaker 2: I like it, and that was I just heard it.
Speaker 6: God, bro, I think I think it was really powerful for him to be able to take that step back and say, you're just saying that because you're jaded.
Speaker 2: I'm not as jaded as you. Take it, take another look. I thought it was dope. Got anything else a can? He kind of agreed to everybody. Yeah, yeah, I know we're trying to get through it.
Speaker 1: I've already settled in that it's gonna be long.
Speaker 3: But I thought that that was a really really powerful scene and it definitely lends to stuff that happens later. Number four I can't remember his name, but he's the one that tried to jump on the tank and ends up getting his legs run over.
Speaker 2: This was a this was a twofer. So that happens.
Speaker 3: And then immediately after that, Trestler, who's the guy with the radio, the brother with the dreads. He tries to just run and he gets takes his clothes off. I can't believe y'all laughing, y'all dirty bro, because Man, they were trying to force me in the whole movie. We knew why wait what they're talking about? Hi?
Speaker 6: I feel like they were trying to force him in our perspective the whole movie. The guy with the radio, y'all talking about he.
Speaker 2: Was new, No, he wasn't new, but he didn't have any line.
Speaker 5: He kept coming up and dudes like, man, bro, who I thought that was?
Speaker 2: No, that's that was racist?
Speaker 1: And now another not you're bringing up. I don't know what happened to that black guy.
Speaker 2: I think that wasn't the same. That was the Yeah. I think he got shot on the hill, definitely. Yeah. He was always right there like no, no, not you? That was that was different about him. Yeah, I really did. He had to have gotten killed on the hill.
Speaker 1: They didn't make it clear because they they forced him in like they warning him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that this guy was definite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this seemed like another guy that we haven't really we hadn't really seen. And that's when he came in with the radio when it was like yeah, even Steppens had to join in on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when they when they showed him getting in trying to run off and get shot, AB, what did you think that this was them telling us is happening?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I didn't really take anything other I did snicker a little bit, but I didn't really tell I didn't get the message from it though.
Speaker 2: I didn't really get him.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was a message per Sae, anybody else anything. Before I started yapping, they were breaking, they were I thought, started to kick in. Now show the different facts. Everybody's so tired and it's gonna do ship.
Speaker 2: It's crazy now.
Speaker 4: And they kind of really explained it later on when it comes when it came to os, did they try did they say that overnight that they had a time to stop?
Speaker 2: So it was straight straight walking only the general sleep major.
Speaker 1: That's why he wasn't supposed to go No, the major is able to.
Speaker 6: Go home and sleep, but he wasn't supposed to. Remember, he was like it's it's a secret that the major's what's rumored. They go showering, sleep, but they weren't supposed to know that. They thought he was up all night with them doing the same thing. Set in the same example for the America.
Speaker 1: Right, damn, you're right, Spike, yep, Wow, yeah, they don't. The rest of them don't.
Speaker 2: Crazy. I couldn't figure that out. He did a first yep, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that part was just like, oh my god, man, like this kid who seemed to be the more positive one because he didn't really talk that much, but he was like holding the radio and all that. But after he sees that one dude get his legs run over and shot, that was enough. He breaks because at first I was like, why is he getting naked? But that's if you see a.
Speaker 1: Lot of people that have mental health breaks, that's sometimes the.
Speaker 2: Take off their clothes. It's like, no one really understands why.
Speaker 3: But yeah, anyways, so Ken, what did you think about the scene where Hank loses it and he turns and he walks towards the trucks with the lights. He gets shot in the stomach. In my opinion, they do that to make him suffer and then Art goes running back for him. So what did you think about this scene?
Speaker 2: This shit, This was a really dope, powerful scene.
Speaker 4: Because Hank throughout the movie was hanging on and he had talked about the gun, and we saw when those others two got killed, he had that gun.
Speaker 2: He was looking at it, and we could pretty much guess what happened to it just Art's reaction to it. You know, Olsen was walking this whole time, like he looked like the walking Dead, bro. You could see him started deterioration. Yeah, like he was. He was barely hanging on.
Speaker 4: But what I loved is that we got insight into what happened to the other people because Steppings came up, who they didn't really mess with, was like, hey man, you need to check on your boy because I think he's done.
Speaker 2: You know, he's exhausted.
Speaker 4: And he went up and then he was he said he said something about the god in the garden and then he took off and ran got shot in the gut, called out for Art.
Speaker 2: And when Art ran back, and when when Ray ran back to Art and he was like he needed me.
Speaker 5: He called me like called my name man that ship and then when when ods was like, I dad it wrong.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 6: And it was really dope that you could still hear in the back of my warning first warning that was cold. You had this emotional scene, but it still didn't take you out of what the fuck is going on right now and didn't really like we.
Speaker 2: Spent we spent time with him. He was one of the Musketeers, but he didn't have a lot of like lines, you know. It was just kind of engaging.
Speaker 4: It was like engaging and interacting with everybody else as part of the friend group, you know. But he was just he was just that guy that's just always around. But it was really centering on Ray and mccrees the whole time, and he was just like one of those figures.
Speaker 2: But yet when he dies, like damn, this part broke me in the theater.
Speaker 1: Boy, I was two seconds away from a thug tear.
Speaker 2: I tell you what, though, that was for me. We ain't got that yet. This this this one, this one really and I.
Speaker 3: Was saying to myself, I'm like, why am I even attached to these people? And it's just it's just because the movie is primarily dialogue and it's just we're just spending so much time with these people, and he seemed to just be not necessarily comic relief, but almost the light the more lighthearted one.
Speaker 2: And for them to choose him to make suffer. And when he's just laying on the ground, he's yelling out, I didn't do it right. I didn't do it right.
Speaker 3: And then seeing art and then having to pull him away, and this tall lanky black man just being like he called my name, he picked me, and I couldn't help him.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm like, yo, what the look rock right now? Y'all? I didn't even know they were. But see, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that's so great about this movie is it makes you become homies like that because you just you mean something. Yeah, it's like you're trauma bonded. You're spending all of this time, and you're also delirious. So when you're delirious, either I hate you or I love you.
Speaker 2: There's no middle ground.
Speaker 6: So I think that that this movie did that so fun well man. And it wasn't for a fetch because they didn't have to show it. They just showed us the main two people that were paying together.
Speaker 3: We don't have we we had to figure that there were other silos like about the group, they just didn't have time to cover them, and there was their silo that it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know arts thing. I think last new Baker, he was like, you know, I just wanted to do this just and maybe make some friends, you know. And I think I think Olsen felt like he had a plan, like he knew how to do this. He thought he did, get studied up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did it wrong. Plan didn't work. And he said, I didn't do it right. I did it wrong. I did it wrong. Fu man.
Speaker 5: He chose the gum the whole time.
Speaker 2: Keep the gum let him down. Oh my god, man, this movie. That's what he said.
Speaker 3: He I don't know if he said that exactly, but I'm pretty certain he took the gum out and there was like this whole idea the gum stopped working for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't say anything about the gum. He was just looking at looking at what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what you're talking about. He had talked about what the what his relationship with the gum and wife, and then he.
Speaker 3: Had this look on his face when he pulled it out and was looking at it. Yeah, that ship was crazy man. But after this, we get this revealed that Hank was married, Olsen was married, and they come up with this idea to give Hank's family some money. But Barkovich wants to be a part of the plan uh to get Hank some money, so Ray has to convince him that he's not a murderer, you know, and he's actually one of them, He's actually part of the group, which then leads to Barkovich having a breakdown and killing himself by stabbing himself in the neck and getting shot with the spoon. Yes, and the thing. Okay, before I get to my ship, Abe, what what? What do you think happened here?
Speaker 2: I did? This is one that lost me.
Speaker 5: I didn't get why he was so why was he trying to get the friendship back?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't That one didn't connect. I was like, I'm I'm missing. I'm clearly missing.
Speaker 7: So I understood that part of it. I thought he was gonna bring up for something else. But I think he was trying to get the alliance part. If I'm not mistaken right, he wanted the alliance of at this point, at this stage of the game.
Speaker 3: But I think he's saying why if he was just gonna kill himself, why didn't even care about the alliance.
Speaker 7: So that's the part because I thought he had a bigger plan because he said something to somebody earlyer like.
Speaker 2: You thought I got a plan for you?
Speaker 7: Later Yeah, I'm like, so just for you just gonna kill yourself. I didn't understand that part either. Yeah, he was just talking.
Speaker 2: I think it's part of the craziness, like the craziness kicking in and early on.
Speaker 6: I think that was the recurrent theme though, And I also think that he explained it a little bit. He was like, bro, I said this earlier, thought I was talking about the wrong person.
Speaker 2: Though. It's like I've been by myself my whole life.
Speaker 6: I've been the kid that was being made fun of, and now I see people out here making friendships, making connections, and I'm the asshole this out here. I'm the asshole this out here making fun of people. Almost I called this dude to die, and then he was the last ditch effort for him to be like, no, I want to be a part of something too, And it was a reluctance. They was like, Okay, we kind of believe you, and do was just telling him what he wanted to hear, and I think he read through that. He took himself out.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't even so, I'm with you for ninety five percent of that.
Speaker 3: I don't know that he's offered with. I don't even think it mattered. But the one word that jumped out to me when he did it was legacy. He did not want his legacy to be I was the person that murdered somebody and Ray knew that. So Ray absolved him of that. So he was just like, yeah, you're not a murder man. We don't think of it that way. It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 2: So then once he was absolved of that, he could die, he could take himself. He was like, I don't need to be here anymore, you know.
Speaker 3: So when he walked up, so the thing I was gonna say earlier, I saw that fucking spoon in his hand. I was like, bro, if he stabbed my boy Ray, that's what I thought was gonna happen. I thought either he was gonna stab Ray or he was gonna try to stab Ray and Pete was gonna jump in and get stabbed. But then when he walked away, I was like, Okay, that was weird the something happen with that spoon and when I thought that he jacked himself in the neck and I was like, Okay, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: He was at the end of his life. Just like they always say, your life lashes before your eyes where you're that, he.
Speaker 3: Was at the end of his life, and he's like, I don't want to go out of this world as being this awful person that they think I am. And he had one hundred and something miles of walking to think about that. So he was like, why didn't Pete ask me to be the part of the group. It's like, you guys really don't like me, and Ray could feel that. Ray was empathetic enough to be like, look, man, nah, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: We don't think you're a murderer. And he's whispering you want Pete hear, because he might have been like, what the fuck we do? But nah? This this scene again was just beautiful.
Speaker 3: And the fact that when he drops they have to just keep walking. And I don't even think they showed his death because it.
Speaker 5: Was kind of faded in.
Speaker 6: They started doing them towards the end, and they only started showing the images I.
Speaker 2: Thought, I thought was great. I thought that was great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because by this point they stopped turning around. Yeah, yeah, yeah, It's just it was just like part of the course at this point, like this is what happened.
Speaker 4: And they had a conversation about that earlier too. Yeah I hope I don't. Yeah, I hope I don't ever get used to that something like that. But the thing about Berkeovich, b Berkeovich was a very interesting character to me because he was clear to the bad guy of the movie, intentionally, unintentional, but I think that was just a way for him trying to have a purpose, like Michael was saying, a purpose in this group. Because remember in the very beginning, when they were introducing everybody, he made the joke about me Ma, and it was like me, you know, yeah, And remember the reaction like they everybody else got a very welcoming sort of reaction, And when he said that, they kind of clowned to be like, what the fuck look at this guy, So immediately he was like, Okay, you don't fit in. And so he had been picking and messing with people throughout the movie, and as soon as I saw it, as soon as I saw it, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, is he gonna ask Berkovich? And he didn't.
Speaker 5: The question I had is did Pete do that intentionally or did he get it distracted by Stebbins.
Speaker 3: I think Pete did it intentionally because they just weren't fucking with Barkervich because he was he was evil they. I think Pete did see him as a murderer. I think Pete's niceties only went to a certain point. Like Pete's not just like some fucking naive pushover. He saw Barkovich for who he thought Barkovich was, which was an evil person.
Speaker 4: But remember when he had asked Stebbins, and Stebbins saying fucking whatnot? Somebody says something and he started to have another conversation.
Speaker 2: It was like and it.
Speaker 4: Flows so seamlessly that it's almost like, oh, he didn't get an opportunity to ask a point.
Speaker 1: That's that's a good point, and that could be it. I think that's cool that the movie left that open ended.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know either. I don't know either anymore. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But I did like this whole scene. I did like the idea that it opened up about how you want to go out.
Speaker 2: Uh. I like that.
Speaker 3: He ended he said something like We're gonna be boys forever, or I'm gonna be with you boys forever, something like that. When you're insecure, you it's it's easy to become the bad guy of the group. It's very easy because you need to find.
Speaker 2: A place, and being the bad guy is the easiest way to find a place in a group. Facts, you know what I'm saying. So did it seem like they were upset about berkeer Vishtan and or do they just keep moving?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I think they were just upset about seeing anybody die at that point. So they were just like, we're not gonna you know, we're not gonna cry or weep or no. But they were just like, damn, but he just stab himself from the fucking nut. You know, people are just crazy.
Speaker 2: Rod was the scene where Ray ran into his mom on the sidelines and almost got shot. Touching to you, Nah, yeah, it was, and it kind of it was some foreshadow in there.
Speaker 7: I think they talked about it before because they was saying about him being in his hometown, and at first I didn't really I ain't connected like that, But when I saw I was like, okay, that's that's what they were talking about. So that moment, then him thinking that, oh shit, I made a mistake. I thought that was touching. He was like, oh man, I shouldn't have did this.
Speaker 2: I should have seened my asses home.
Speaker 7: So so yeah, just him like kind of second guess that that was really powerful moment and real right you know what I'm saying. Yeah, they've been doing this the whole time. I mean I think his feet was bleeding by this time. You can take his shoes like your feet.
Speaker 5: It just had her having to see his feet like that, like as a mother I could just imagine, and then her having to be like, it's okay, it's okay man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was crazy. Get why he didn't take no dead shoes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, back up pair of shoes, no no, no, no elers that died.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't have took you.
Speaker 3: You got warning, but your feet would have felt better, maybe even the second morning, but your feet would have felt thought.
Speaker 5: I'm like, why didn't take a back up because I feel like somebody had a pan over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have had three pair of shoes.
Speaker 6: He was step was definitely prepared man, I thought that was the most powerful scene in the movie, even beyond the end, and like just because it was brought up.
Speaker 2: He was like, you probably get a boost motivation when you see your mom. And then my boy was like, nah, it might work the other ways. See that's what I'm saying. They had talked about it.
Speaker 6: And then it looked like it was working that way for him. Hit him and turn around it and his pleased, like, I made the wrong decision. I did the wrong thing trying to run to her and she wanted him to come, but she knew the result of it, and telling him get away, man that.
Speaker 2: She was great a kid, She was good. She was good. The whole movie was.
Speaker 1: She just didn't get enough screen on the screen time, but in that scene was good.
Speaker 2: She killed it.
Speaker 7: Speaking of that, to like just those moments of him almost breaking it was it was cool to always hear not cool, but it was interesting to always hear them in the background counting off like three, two, the third one and this is the second one. It's always kind of hearing that in the back was really cool to add it to the movie.
Speaker 3: Ken, what'd you think about finally hearing Pete's story about his life, his family died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was homeless. Uncle beat him and you know what I'm saying, Yeah it was you know, I mean a straw story. Man, it was a lot. It was a lot. Trying to think about it from a racial perspective. They called for that point. He said, I I was running.
Speaker 4: He said, my uncle beatman to the lead, driuted his own damn vomit or whatever.
Speaker 2: And then he said, I've been running my whole life.
Speaker 5: And then I finally got caught through in jail, and I was like, god, damn cut his face with the wrong one and he cut me good, cut me, good old?
Speaker 2: Are you right the facts? I was thinking, how old are you?
Speaker 6: But that made sense that he's been doing his own He was ten years old. That's like, that's a lot of seven years. I feel like there's a lot of life. But man, it made it built depth in his character. It built depth and made sense like he was like, man, I'm just happy.
Speaker 2: To be here.
Speaker 4: The only thing is just like, I don't know, it's just like again, it's hard for me to take out certain parts of the movie based on my lips of spirits were like, man, the only thing I do is just I'm gonna choose love.
Speaker 5: I don't been through hell, but you know what, God got me. This is like bruh, black people, I know.
Speaker 2: And that's the part I didn't like. That's the part I didn't like.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, so you just gonna you've been through hell, but you'll be like, oh, you know it's it's okay because I know some better way for me on the side.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm saying it for him and the approach, the cheek piece peace love me.
Speaker 3: I feel ken, but only because he was black man.
Speaker 2: This is always our story.
Speaker 3: I had the worst life in the world, and then I was like, you know what, I saw the light and I need to spread this, like y'all. I was like, man, I love you people if you don't get your ass to funk out my face like we had a brother I always want to be and now I done got me wool get your bubbles trip as he was, you know what, I loved it and hated it at the same time.
Speaker 2: He was. He killed that whole He was a stand out of this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I think he definitely. I'm looking at him now and I want to see what he does after this. Like real Roles but Collie the American guy, he grabs a gun and kills one of the soldiers before getting shot in the stomach and also made to suffer a bit, but then he kills himself before the soldier has a chance to do it. But that immediately is followed by art Abe. What do you think about how Art went out?
Speaker 2: Art Man?
Speaker 5: Even though again I could barely understand them, I still fail them. I feel ful and we all knew. I feel like it was pretty clear who the last two were gonna be. Yeah, I didn't really take away from that because it's got to be a last two where it was two main characters.
Speaker 2: But that that was rough. How they held him up for so long.
Speaker 5: Man, it was they made I get a movie props and the screenplaying hold on for making a walk interesting where you mix it up with elements of weather or you mix it up with an incline or whatever, but them having to hold it up like the mixture of ship like that, because that was touching. They did a real, real good job.
Speaker 2: Of that ship.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: That was dope. Nah, I didn't, I didn't, but I was.
Speaker 4: I knew once he said my nose bleeding, and I was really interested in like what was happening to him?
Speaker 2: So I love that step.
Speaker 4: It was like, oh, yeah, it's internal hemorrhagy and that happens, and he was just his body was just shutting down and uh but you know him just saying you know, uh. What I found interested in this whole scene actually was was was mccree's. Peat's response, because remember this was right after Steppens was like, Yo, we can't help.
Speaker 2: Any anybody anymore, Like what are y'all doing? And uh?
Speaker 4: Up to this point, Ray is trying to help Baker move forward, and Pete like, nah, man, you fought a good fight.
Speaker 2: Bro. He said, yeah, you did good, but it's over for you, and he kind of let him go.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if the roles were reversed or he was just like, nah, there's nothing we could do to save this brother.
Speaker 6: I liked his suggestion there, even though it sounded weird, because if we keep helping each other, we're gonna put each other through more pain, like they're gonna we're gonna be out here for much longer than we have to be, and we know everybody can't make it.
Speaker 2: We can't do this.
Speaker 6: It makes it harder for the person to win. Yep, I thought that was fire. Oh I didn't take it would be merciful to art. Don't feel bad, man, if it's time for you to go, it's time for you to go.
Speaker 4: And whether uh did race it or Macree said Rod when he was like, and you made some friends along the.
Speaker 2: Way, which is what he yeah, which is what he wanted to do, said I have to make.
Speaker 1: Some friends, and you make man. When he said, promise me, you're not gonna watch.
Speaker 2: Their faces when it happened, the.
Speaker 3: Face of absolute terror, because they showed him turn around and walked straight towards the light, just like Olsen did.
Speaker 2: And then you just hear it in the background, Oh my god, and I'm going home. I'm going home. I forgot about that part. I'm gonna go home.
Speaker 7: And he had an a tense moment before that too, when he had to take a ship, like, oh yeah, yeah, we have to.
Speaker 2: Go back to that. I'm just look, I can't wait to you. I can't wait to you something I'm looking for. But but Rob's right, we can't just ignore Bro like he wasn't powerful. He did.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying the fact that because I was what I was like what was gonna have to use the bathroom. And remember maccrees sprayed everybody like watch out, y'all said they't coming or whatever.
Speaker 2: That was Actually that was actually But.
Speaker 5: I'm glad they addressed it though, because they could have just left that out and we would have just been like how they took But I like that their shoulders because he.
Speaker 4: Was just pinch it off, yeah, hurry up, just pinch it off, man, And then he said then he was thinking, was like, hey man, you just.
Speaker 2: But it seems like they would have this sounds crazy. They they would have just shipp on themselves. Some of them. Now now now we see you talking about this, you could have moved on them. Did some of them?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm sorry, last thing. Some of them did shoot on himself and and step and said Olsen.
Speaker 2: Did got you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then he was they were in front of him, so you can't spell that. You need to go check on your boy. This should have been a part of your five points. No, because it wasn't that important, he was. It wasn't. Absolutely people taking ships is not.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would assume a long either you're in your hands or you're popping the ship and you're running.
Speaker 2: No, they can't leave that up. Bron wait till you can't wait. I can't wait. It better not be next week either, So a spraying this ship right? That was wise like a murl. This is for anybody.
Speaker 3: What did y'all think about Stabbin's reveal about being the major son and his story about the rabbit and.
Speaker 2: The dog races.
Speaker 7: That was something else that I figured too. I figured that he was probably his son. Okay, Yeah, I felt stupid because when he said it. I remember at the beginning of the movie he said, good luck son. Oh I didn't catch that, That's what I'm saying. It seemed like he just said it just because that's the old man the young man. Yeah, good luck son. But he was But I remember when he said it. He was the only person he said it to, So I thought it was weird.
Speaker 4: But I never even the only The only reason why I'm saying now is because when I went back and watched it again, it's it out because now I.
Speaker 5: Know the reveal, But I never saw that ship what it was. But I had a feeling that that was his dad.
Speaker 2: I knew one of them because he was the one that knew so much about the race, right, was he the one that knew? Yeah? Yeah, And that was that's when they kept asking, like what the hell was going on with the race?
Speaker 3: And then he was like, he's the son because him being a bastard son wouldn't give him any more access to the information.
Speaker 2: About what he cared more about. He was more into it because it was dead.
Speaker 3: But but why would he care more than Ray? So yeah, I never I mean, you know, it's cool that y'all guessed it. I must have been guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was saying like I was just saying, it's always only Rob. Yeah, yeah, I forgot what it was that that kind of made me think it was him. Yeah.
Speaker 4: He was like, man, say something real, because that was good. Yeah, and I love real good. But he had started to kind of warm up. They started kind of warm up to him, you know, as a and on it was very reluctant. But now it was three of them, and you know, he was like, man, you know, because he said, some people like man, say something real. But the whole thing about the rabbit though, that was that was an interesting line too. It was like it's not even flesh, he said, but just chasing him because you think you're gonna catch it, and you just never will. And I'm thinking about the system and how we're in the system and they sell the American dream, which is the rabbit and work yourself up to the top, you know.
Speaker 2: So he said that he was the white rabbit. Was not the white rabbit. He just said that he was the rabbit race.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the That was the main part that I was I was asking about the main part that I was focusing on. So that was a cocky statement though, right, No, that was not No, So if you think about it, right, so you could view it that way, absolutely, But when he said the rabbit isn't even flesh and blood, it's just a symbol and the dogs chase it, I think, and I could be wrong, but I was thinking that he was talking about himself and his situation with the Major, and that when he entered the race, he was really just a symbol of the Major's greed or what do you call it, like sexual.
Speaker 2: It's not a deviance, but you know what.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about, just like being a being a ho. Yes, So he when he entered the race, that's what he symbolized, was the Major going around and not caring about the fact that he's fucking around and having illegitimate children. But then when his body starts to go out, and he starts to realize that I am actually human, and now his one wish was to be invited to his father's house.
Speaker 2: But then he realized that his dad might not even know he exists.
Speaker 3: He realized that his dad might not even know that he's his son, because odds are he's probably got a bunch of illegitimate children around because the Major is the top dog in that system.
Speaker 1: So I think he just thinks that.
Speaker 3: He's just a symbol of the Major's greed and whatever. But he realizes once he's in the race that he's more than that, that he's human. But by that point it's too late for any of it to matter.
Speaker 5: See, I was wondering if he knew that it was a symbol when you say he said son at the beginning, he knew.
Speaker 3: I don't know, So I think that what they probably were doing with that was that was the fuck with Stabbins. So he says good luck son, not necessarily saying hey, good luck my son, but to Stabbins, that's.
Speaker 2: What heard his head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeahs oh you're calling me son, I'm here for a reason. This is going to work out, whereas the major was just like, good luck son. I don't know that he knew that he was his kid.
Speaker 2: That's interesting, but he was the only reason.
Speaker 4: The only thing is he was the only person he said it to, and that that's and then I think when he was having that conversation, when he was telling him about that, he was like, I didn't even think he even knew who I was, But when he heard him say good luck son, it was like that's when he realized was like, oh shit, he does know who I am, yet he let.
Speaker 2: Me enter in the race anyway.
Speaker 3: That's why I don't think he knew because when he gets killed, he showed nothing. So if he's gonna call him son at the beginning because he knows he's his son, then I think he would have showed a drop of emotion when he just saw his son get shot in the head.
Speaker 4: When he showed nothing, I know because I think because he he's never cared about his son this whole.
Speaker 2: But then Pooty cared enough to call him son. I think maybe I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think it was just a fun with his head like it was a mental paradox as to what Mike was saying. He's saying it like you said the first old man to a young dude, took it as oh he recognized me, is my son. I think it was two different perspectives on it, which makes it actually more brilliant. But I think he well, we also say he has a lot of bastard sons out there anyway. I think he's just a shitty as you know father.
Speaker 2: That's the point. Yeah, so so.
Speaker 4: But since he never raised the kid, was never around, he just knew he existed, he wouldn't show any type of remorse that care for him because he don't give a fuck about him anyway.
Speaker 3: Right Always what I know, they always get onto us about getting stuck on something, but fuck it, y'all, motherfuckers came here.
Speaker 2: We didn't beg you to listen to this ship. Uh you listen. I'm with you. I get it.
Speaker 3: But I think that he would have had to show some level of care and knowledge in order to say good luck son. But I think it would be weird for them to show that he's showing this level of care to say what up son or good luck son? And then for him to just not show a single drop of emotion later on when he's shot in the head, I think it would just be weird writing.
Speaker 4: Now, if you got basket sons out there, you don't give a fuck. Think about Game of Thrones, they had a lot of basket son. They don't care about.
Speaker 3: Calling them, hey son, come here son, good luck son. They weren't saying that, So I think for him to actually put in the good luck son would show that he had some level of give a fuck of give a fuck for this kid.
Speaker 2: But I think that in the term of the story, and I could be told wrong.
Speaker 3: Obviously I didn't read the book, but in the in the terms of the story, I think that that was just to show why Stabbins was here and why he gave a fuck so much to finish this race.
Speaker 2: But maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: If anybody that's listening has read the book and they delve more into that, please let me know, because I'd actually be kind of curious.
Speaker 5: That that good look son sounded soul just like this, this is what he says to gas everybody to make it seem like that's how I took it. Yeah, that's it just seemed like he's gassing niggas motherfuckers up the whole time.
Speaker 2: He didn't give it.
Speaker 5: He ain't taking shades off none.
Speaker 4: I don't think he said it in a caring way. It's just in a in a way to acknowledge, like I know that you're a mind, you know, So I don't.
Speaker 5: Know that's a good call out, though I didn't catch it first.
Speaker 3: So Ray tell's Pete that he's used. He used to be afraid of death, but he wasn't anymore. Do you remember this convo?
Speaker 2: Rod?
Speaker 3: He says he realized that everybody's gonna die, but what matters is how you spend those final moments. Okay, well this was to me and maybe nobody else gave a fuck, But I found this be very, very very important, especially for how his character plays out later. He was basically saying that, you know, for a lot of us, death is the worst thing. You know, we're terrified of death. But then as he's been walking, he realizes that, look, death isn't really the main thing. The main thing is how you're spending these moments, which he got from Pete. Put that seed into him. No pause, Spike. So I think that this was actually really interesting because that calmed him in that moment. So if nobody cared about that, we'll move on to.
Speaker 2: The next point. Well, no, I think it was an interesting.
Speaker 4: Kind of turned for him and a sort of acceptance, you know, which was interesting in how the movie played out later on. For him to say that was an admission of like, you know, it's over for me, and I'm willing to sacrifice myself for somebody that because remember when we was talking to to mccreees earlier, Pete earlier, he was like, I can't see the things you see, and that all came back later and I think this was at the point where he kind of realized that he won't ever have those eyes.
Speaker 3: It's about those moments and that's really it. I don't have the ability to see life the way you see it, which leads.
Speaker 2: Us to the next part.
Speaker 3: Pizza is down, tries to give up, which again kind of goes back to what I was saying earlier is I don't think he ever really thought he was going to finish, but Ray comes back and convinced him to keep walking.
Speaker 2: Spike, where did you think when Ray then chose to sit down? And what about his reasoning for giving up? I was rise. I thought it was really good.
Speaker 3: How he kind of just faded when he when Pete first decided to sit down, he kind of just faded back and raided and noticed and then he turned around.
Speaker 2: He saved him. You just convinced him to get up. And then his reasoning was what again? What did he say? His reason was, he doesn't see the light.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's what he loves about Pete.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my god, stop trying to make a thug cry.
Speaker 2: I couldn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because if I win, I'm not gonna do the things that you do with this victory. So I'm gonna sit down and then sacrifice my dad.
Speaker 2: That was fire. I thought it was a hell of a way and ended.
Speaker 6: I suspected that they were just gonna go with the easy route and let let him just do it, because that.
Speaker 2: Was the first person we seen on the screen.
Speaker 6: But to switch it up like that and have him actually take his thought process and sit down when like it's over for me, I thought it was dope.
Speaker 3: And he didn't even notice. That was so good that he didn't even notice. Yeah, he thought he was walking with him. They were so and go up through the conversation. We've been three hundred miles walking you my guy. Now, I'm just talking with the depth of this. And then you don't even know that he bowed out.
Speaker 2: And he got on warning helping Pete. Yeah, jesus, Yeah that was good. What about anybody else?
Speaker 5: That was a powerful scene. I will say that and we'll get to just next that what happened at the end kind of goes against what he didn't do, what he sacrificed himself for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he changed. Their perspective switched exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, their perspected their perspective switched because he ended up doing the same thing that he said the other guy said he was going to do. But that's not what he sit down for. He didn't sit down for you to do that, which I thought was great too. But I would have liked it the more I would have wanted something to happen. I want to see what they did about that. I didn't like to fade out. Yeah, I get to that, But I did not see this coming at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a good twist, and this is what made the movie for me, bro because watching it, I'm like, you guys, I'm like, okay, you know, Ray and the mom we saw the moment they had together, which was great.
Speaker 2: Like this is leading to that, ye.
Speaker 4: And you can see Pete throughout, especially in the last like part of the movie, just looking at him, and especially after he told him that story and he heard another story. He just sitting there and they walked there walking, Ray just looking ahead and Pete just looking at him, and it's like that's when he made the decision. He was like, you need to be with your mom, and I'm gonna let you have that moment. That was his good his contribution to the world. And when he just stopped and sat down. And now that we've been talking about him, Mike, I think you might be right because that is that's what he said he was gonna do, and that's exactly what he did. So I think you might probably write about with that.
Speaker 1: He wanted to die saving people and he's saved.
Speaker 2: In his mind, he was gonna say he was gonna save Ray so they can be with his mom, so she man.
Speaker 1: Where somebody won the race.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if it wasn't him, he wanted someone.
Speaker 4: But when he picked when he picked him up and they were walking and and Ray was like, just walk with me in a little bit more.
Speaker 5: And that motherfucker dropped back. Yeah, that was and then all you heard was boom boom.
Speaker 2: Bro. I was like yo, and then man shot him. He was like what did you do? What did you do? And you just saw the man rod crazy. Hey, Bro.
Speaker 4: It was it was powerful because it's it's it's like you think movies would like Spice that take the easy way out, and they did not.
Speaker 2: I think it man, it was. It was. It got me bro, like the.
Speaker 5: Predictable way would have been because I'm sitting there thinking, okay, it was about to happen. I'm thinking, I'm thinking that Pete was about to sacrifice himself for Ray.
Speaker 2: That that felt.
Speaker 5: That's where it was leading to the very first person we meet, his Ray.
Speaker 2: He was the name.
Speaker 5: So I'm thinking, Okay, that's kind of predictable, but I'll take it it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but think about this also, ride because.
Speaker 4: It's almost like because we were having a conversation earlier about him basically doing the same thing that he that his dad did, and even in this moment he did it again. He said what he said, tell my mom, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, bruh. And and so I'm like, Bro, you just lovet your mom by herself, like.
Speaker 2: He said, and even even said he said, I'm just like my dad.
Speaker 3: I think he knew even if he won the race, he was still not going to be there for his mom because all he could.
Speaker 2: See is anger, revenge and chain and revenge.
Speaker 3: Even once he killed the major, I don't think that was gonna be enough for him. He was never going to be a loving person.
Speaker 2: And maybe PTSD.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I was about to say, there's really no winner. After going through all of this, you've seen the last person standing. They're not gonna be happy or excited or you're going to be fucked up from here on out. So there's really no quote.
Speaker 3: Unquote winter in the worst like we're turning back for more like you said exactly. So yeah, so that makes Pete the winner. Rod, What did you think of what went down after they shoot Ray because Pete then shoots Luke Skywalker and then the movie kind of ends with him walking off. So how did you think the movie ended?
Speaker 2: Well, first thing I thought was like, they can't kill the black guy.
Speaker 7: I was just like, they've been not they've been I was just telling they've been not leading away for us or whatever with the ending or whatever. So so yeah, I was thinking, like, no, they're not gonna kill the black guy. So I was really curious to see how they were going to handle that. And I still felt the intensity of it, not knowing if they were gonna shoot him right afterwards.
Speaker 2: So I was happy that they didn't shoot him. I was left a little.
Speaker 7: Slightly confused as to what actually happened, Like what did that symbolized towards the end of him just walking off without when because we didn't even hear or see the crowd anymore, right, so like his spirit walking off, like I don't know what was going on. But so yeah, I was left a little confused. So I was hoping that you know, you guys had an idea. Anybody want to feel that out?
Speaker 2: Pause solid.
Speaker 5: Thought he died, I ain't gonna lie. I took it as could because I just don't see realistically you being able to get that off and shoot the major and just and be smooth you would have been I feel I'm figuring you'd have been killed immediately.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think so I think he could get away with it because remember they were having a conversation, conversation, but it was an untested theory right, and now I think we what conversations would have.
Speaker 3: I know he thought about doing it, that he could do it because he's the winner. He holds this level of power, so they're not going to kill him.
Speaker 2: I missed it.
Speaker 5: I missed that too, But it just seemed the way that the camera faded everything else out and that there was more fireworks, there was no more people.
Speaker 2: It made it seem like that wasn't reality. You know what I'm saying. Dead? Yeah, he was supers Yes, he is dead.
Speaker 3: Bro shocked that y'all didn't take it that way, said, yeah, you didn't know that, you said, Man, I was confused.
Speaker 2: I hope when y'all can explain that you did say that definitively dead? Broad? He is dead? Where where right in heaven? Brow light?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes it was. There was no there was no people. The fireworks were gone. Sound he's dead.
Speaker 4: Were there people behind him when he the whole crowd? Remember I thought the crowd was behind the crowd wasn't that far back? It was why he was he was surrounded.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: But but I'm saying if you go, if you kept going, the crowd was right there, and if you turn around and go the other way then that's where the soldiers in there, and there was there was they wouldn't just empty space and no buildings and all kinds of none of that.
Speaker 2: It was nothing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, he is dead, Rochester stuff with his initial thought that dead. They shot him that and that's why he shot him. You heard nothing from the soldiers. You didn't hear You heard nothing. You see him turn around and walk off.
Speaker 5: They didn't like the major either, so they were glad the soldier was the major was dead.
Speaker 1: That's not true. Why would the soldiers be upset about that?
Speaker 3: I think that they were making the whole point of this system, because when y'all said earlier, that long long walk is absolutely life.
Speaker 2: It's representing life.
Speaker 3: And you meet all these people throughout your life, you have these experiences, pain, all this stuff.
Speaker 2: For Rod, you get the ships.
Speaker 1: He's so concerned with people talking about the shit.
Speaker 2: You get the ships in life.
Speaker 1: And at the end of the life, you you either make it or you break.
Speaker 2: And Pete broke. The system broke him.
Speaker 1: Even the most positive of people, the system broke him.
Speaker 2: He couldn't.
Speaker 5: He couldn't see the light in the anymore. Even even in you could be the most nicest positive person. But if the way things are around you are built to where there is no light, you can keep it so you can have a false sense of it all you want. But and that's what I that's why all this slide that he ended up doing what he did versus what his initial thing was.
Speaker 2: Like, I just asked for two people, you know, the.
Speaker 5: Whole positivity kick after three hundred miles, bro, you not positive no more?
Speaker 2: Like I refuse to believe or remember.
Speaker 4: They also told him that you that there was other conversations that you can ask for two people.
Speaker 2: They're not going to break the system.
Speaker 4: They said, oh yeah, you can't ask for policy and procedure changes exactly.
Speaker 2: To help who already Spanish let me be Pete. I don't would. They focused on Pete seeing the light. This is why I just googled it's he been split on line. He's dead. It would have been to if.
Speaker 3: If you're talking about him seeing the light when he turns around, one of y'all just said there was no light. Yes, at that moment, Pete stopped seeing the light. He gave in to anger revenge and he killed him. There's no fireworks, which would have been the light there was not even light from the trucks anymore. He didn't see the light anymore.
Speaker 2: He died. I got it.
Speaker 4: But let's okay. So Spike be with me, all right. So he's still alive, but he doesn't see the light. He's he's cool to the system. But he's still alive. It's just his vision is is his light is gone. So he turned around exactly, so he saw the darkness.
Speaker 2: So the.
Speaker 4: Hope and positivity that he once had is no longer present. He's just still alive to live in that.
Speaker 2: From the gunshot and work. But that's a possibility to write. Yo. Yeah, that's all right, But.
Speaker 5: I'm not mad at it.
Speaker 2: It's definitely left up for interpretation, which I did. I appreciate it. And it's a different ending from the book. Yeah, there were very few things. I know.
Speaker 3: I wasn't gonna say that, but that was definitely something that I saw that was. Yeah, it was different from the book. I think this ending actually is a lot better than what the book. But all right, man, I think that this was a perfect ending.
Speaker 2: And I was with Rod.
Speaker 3: I'm like, don't, don't, don't, don't don't kill this black man, right, don't kill this black man. So I think it was very smart for them to imply that he's dead without us having to see you. The last question I'm gonna ask you, Ken Sinid you think this man is live realistically? No matter how rich this man is, when is the last time you've heard of a white government letting a black man live after shooting the leader of the white government.
Speaker 2: Would that be a realistic ass movie? Well, it is fantasy.
Speaker 4: Fantasy might to the point where there was a white guy that got up in the theater and left.
Speaker 2: At the end.
Speaker 4: Before like when when Ray got shot and the black guy won. This motherfucker got.
Speaker 2: Up left a long walk.
Speaker 4: Now, to be fair, I don't know if he was annoyed with the girls that were talking, but by then they quiet, so I don't know if he was just fan up or he was just like, hell, no, you're not letting the black person when someone walked down down man.
Speaker 2: But he got up and.
Speaker 4: Left, so I was like, oh, he liked this. He ain't like the fact that this black guys I'm winning all his bundy. So to your question, Mike, no, that's ship will not happen. But but yeah, but he's also very realistic.
Speaker 2: If you want.
Speaker 1: If you follow him on Twitter, he he knows what's up.
Speaker 2: He got us. He got the trouble last week for Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 3: Stephen Stephen, he definitely knows. This system is not gonna let no black man win all that money and kill a major and just walk away Scott Free.
Speaker 2: Ain't no fucking way.
Speaker 5: Did they ever specify the amount of money?
Speaker 2: Okay, life changing? I don't think said life changing.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I gotta be specific, right.
Speaker 2: I need to know what that means.
Speaker 1: Figures, anybody else got any any last lost thoughts?
Speaker 7: I mean, I was surprised that they showed a black man killing a white major. I was surprised that they actually did that in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he wasn't black in the book. Apparently interesting. Yeah, I liked it this movie that even we talked about it like even more so. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that I think the parallels to the life are there. But I also think the parallels to the rat race are there too, in terms of darking. And even my man got sick but still had to wall you know what I mean, pt O ship or whatever it was, It was a lot of rat race in the pursuit of money. Like I look at it from like anybody that's made a certain amount of money, like life changing money. Like if if you look at people who are billionaires, there's people that see that and think you had to step on hell of motherfuckers to get to that point. And so this is kind of like a little there's a little bit of that in there too, like to get the life changing money, which we would probably all considered like on some Bill Gates ship or whatever. He probably knows where the bodies is buried. He probably has seen some ship that we ain't seen, and so this kind of I looked at that. It's like they say, it ain't no good billions exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: That's all a reference to capitalism and life, because you can't win capitalism. You just can't, especially if you think you're gonna win without a whole bunch of dead people behind.
Speaker 2: Definitely not almost like a zero some game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I took that it was a fire move.
Speaker 2: Cool. All right, Finally I want to know your top three, but.
Speaker 3: That might be another conversation, might have to okay, but yeah, we're gonna end it here. Thank y'all for sticking with us. Blame these Negroes for making the sea so long and no pause, and uh yeah, we will see.
Speaker 2: Y'all next time. Pro homo.
Speaker 1: Uh we'll see y'all next time. Y'all have a good one piece pasy