Speaker 1: The Frames per second podcast. What's going going on?
Speaker 2: Nick with Superducer one dut Dungeon you know team well session but one one third of the day superproduction.
Speaker 1: Ak doctor you're doing? Man, I'm good, Bro, I'm good good. Uh we all have God probably yeah? Yeah man up.
Speaker 3: Yeah into a.
Speaker 1: Free for Now episode second podcast. In this this episode, we are going.
Speaker 4: To begin or I'll just start starting saying no matter how I do this, that's only wanted to be. This is the new Max uh Rich Richard coming from the extending the reverse basically you know reverse h starting and sorry she played play Kelly in the TV show just this period.
Speaker 1: That's kind to say. Lanterns this episode cases one episode on Highlight episode they were just the actual Yeah, jump into that.
Speaker 4: As I was saying, though, this episode will really seeing us, I don't know as most of our episodes.
Speaker 1: For for for the world world to consume, but moving forward may have you come.
Speaker 4: And trying to you know, joinin, you know, saying the beauty the thoughts of that.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and I want to get your news and your your techniques. You can join us and that as we move serious but let me not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I say it is hordable you you because it's kind of crazy, but actually the s work you know what what let's not.
Speaker 1: Go like like a network and you know, numbers what happens. I saw I saw some people on.
Speaker 4: The ninety and see season now which will He's gonna make sure they check that out out that that like like where landing peopleople in the Red Red Bread said weak again getting those because the fans those also people can't.
Speaker 1: We hope Ye's like like one hundred and t people.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, yeah, I know, not think you know, it's just like it's just like in ter terms of life, the fu of the review, it depends on the numbers. So numbers goo good, then we can you know know, we can definitely look to do we it's like like a repre work numbers alone.
Speaker 1: Man, you know, we may make decisions ma and stuff. Anyway that's going on. That one one of the kind of frameme that that way. Appreciate it. Yes as usual thoughts.
Speaker 3: I leship, I'm all like it was well, well, well wut together gave enough?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: I'm not well read on like the land Engines like Lord too much. Basicly we've dug up because we a couple of stories almost rob we have but did hear mayybe like I do one les just want of the get Christmas with the Guardian and all that, because it's like stuff that's in and like all right, I'm curious the way they did it, like mistery grounded the story, I think, the probably little story.
Speaker 1: What about watch you can? And then also talking about their history with the comics herself.
Speaker 5: I was in a big dds man that's well, I mean the history of dead and for a lot of people people I'm not, but everybody body knows the Landers. So I read the dark artists, you know art dark arks dark, Yeah, agree with that one, the word for guard Ardians and something like that.
Speaker 1: So here the first I read the Little Lanterns.
Speaker 5: And uh, of course watching an animated series, just just momented whenever the rest present are so all of them. Of course, you know, never never got bla black Man. I would have definitely for that one which is in this series. So this is a really interesting approach to a commic book series that has built to rhyme. The guy would ring that that can turn into anything and that he can imagine, and to really have it on earth with this character whose whole thing weven know guarding the Earth, he spends time in space two. This is a really interesting approach, also taking the sword order brain bro like that angle how it plays out for the rest of the season, especially got We Got, We Got So I thought just a storytelling.
Speaker 1: Aspect, it isn't enough to get me hooked.
Speaker 5: And I thought he was working well so but the whole time I'm a box like, Bro, you're not going to use rain, like not going to U ringing.
Speaker 1: All like what what what? What's going on on? So you know, but I'm interested. I'm here here for this is different. Yeah, I really enjoyed with the episode.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed for for reasons that I can't really explain outside like I'm here to see how they moved before ward with this, but esp as far as I'm back with similar to Day and I've always read a lot lot of the dream and economics.
Speaker 1: My person Doug was well like Justice League, but then that's learned.
Speaker 4: Or because I was both d and cannot totally this long time like for me, I look at small had had better, sweet girls all had that best stories, so so like that that's how they were to go back in w ward, like why I am a man in O and n CDs. But the first Black John is the that that I don't know. I had a really good comments like oh there was somebody before was somebody beford that, and then everybody after that, like so I'm aware about order and how famous island or this is another Oneame Kyle that's also in the main of that. And then there's John Jostward with me is like the solid like he's like he don't get all the big stories like the but he is like a well well respected, getting a little his own kind of guy. And I was curious about this show because as we all know about it was like a true detective, it was Supergirls or it's like this is that, and I'm just like, let's just see this can even be com screening because for how I magive could be comics. You cannot do that at a TV without like out of the budget. And that's I like how this story is being for that episode. It's just that they kind of touched on it. He even take all the like thing lands do, but they don't get too far. These are two being Earth that are learning how to me. Like they mentioned the Street Cops playing, you know, and like the Street cops. So yeah, I really did that episode like I love it. I was, but they had eisode. But we start off this series with the the flashback going on to take it back ninety six Young time to work with his family flash brothers. Watching an interview with the first from Jordan, What were your first thoughts on the opening scene of the show?
Speaker 1: You can believe it?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: It really was like what the fuck?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 7: I was like, all right, so cool, I get the kids maybe like maybe the parents watching that tell him going to the back.
Speaker 3: Yard, and then he put the apple on his head and took a gun, like what the you doing? Like the time, it's like, I'm like, what the hell is this going on here?
Speaker 1: At all?
Speaker 7: The last season, No, you've already didn't go into mind honestly, because all I see when the actor has been multiple things.
Speaker 8: Like yeah, yeah, I'm like I look like murder, Like he's.
Speaker 3: Not that he's not.
Speaker 4: Show about the closest, and all of a sudden, I'm like, I got a little murder playing Chris Hall. He will always be a little murder And that's a very interesting character. For those of time I'm not watching umality, that's one of the most interesting characters. You injudiced him as an actor. You will never forget that as the resume.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but overall, like it was, it didn't. I was just like, what the hell is going on? Like what who does this? Like it made me feel automatically that all right, I don't know what's going on. But I don't know if this is.
Speaker 7: Because I had highest, I got highest. I think they don't land. I think it should be all right.
Speaker 3: So when they did this, I was like, damn, bro, they about to let me down. Like so I was all already there. But to your point about DC versus Marvel the way you see that, I get to the point.
Speaker 7: As far as superheroes and and and stories, I just look at it as Marvels always just more grounded, like it's more relatable.
Speaker 3: DC is more like world.
Speaker 1: And fantastical, super fantastic exactly.
Speaker 7: The Batman is the one grounded, like big character that's about people funk with it because it's like it's more grounded.
Speaker 3: It's fantastical in a way, but it's more grounded in the rest of it.
Speaker 7: So yeah, so I was kind of ready for it to be all over the place because it is the dreen Lances and I've seen the animated.
Speaker 3: Series a little bit, so I was already there.
Speaker 7: But yeah, okay, you want to say God early, I didn't you want to say, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't care about God out there with what's his name? The big elephant look at one what's his name?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's one of them green like you just known bottom to the day in the background.
Speaker 4: Is like when you read about his child and up being one of them guys for no reason? Why man John suits the guy that storyline?
Speaker 1: But whatever? Ken Uh.
Speaker 4: The question want to ask you, is this how you your kids when you want to show them how I have here? You from the military background, did the daddy come in and full you in in the form? And I know if he was gonna beat him for.
Speaker 1: What the TV's lay and that accelerated why he got his gun out. He's his son, Like I didn't know where this was on. What your thoughts?
Speaker 5: That's that's that I'm not raising punk kids mentality. That's bad him from the military. We don't know why he went to Mills or whatever. It's gorgeous were there, but you know it definitely shaped and molded him into being that guy that wanted to raise kids, uh in the world. That's that's tough. And this was what two thousand when you was so yeah, so the world was a lot smoother than but if it was ninety to see had kids around that age that he grew up in a real uh tough time so or was born and sometimes I grew up into it. So it's not uncommon to see them doing military trope like this where that got shoot the arrow off this kid to sell like uh, this sort of lack of uh.
Speaker 1: Fear in them.
Speaker 5: It seemed like it's been He's the only one that has taken to that because the other kids, to your point, Nick, it seemed like he was abusive and there may have been some abuse there because the other kids looked like they were kind of worried for them and concerned and like, oh, here.
Speaker 1: We go again.
Speaker 5: But this was the one kid that that got it, got whatever he was he was looking for. So it's a lot. It's extreme, but it was to seller point. I don't know did go there to sell it.
Speaker 4: But exactly, yeah, I get it, like you mentioned, I get the like, Okay, this is how John Stewart was molded, you know, like because in the anime shows and in some of the comments. He does have a military background himself, but we don't really get to see his upbring. We just let he grow up in the hood and that's pretty much it. So it's like to grow up in the hood with dad like that. So I'm just talking up to that. But what I really found interesting was his fascination with Greenland early as a kid, so especially with this one because it's still the same one.
Speaker 1: Howl Jordan in the interview.
Speaker 4: What I liked about this show is that they gave you a taste of like the Lord of Greenlands without bombarding you with like having to be a comic book nerd.
Speaker 1: Because you know Lou who they joined us on one of these reviews down the line.
Speaker 4: His concern was like do I need to learn or that he have like watched a bunch of stuff or read a bunch of stuff to kind of get off today. Now, it was crazy that he does this for Game of Thrones, but he won't do that for other things. But that's just doing in a nutshell. But I'm glad like the interview that they had on TV with how it was just very basic questions and that kind of gave you understand it, Jay, did you feel the same way as far as like learning the back short of how Jordan in this short opening scene.
Speaker 9: It felt felt it felt felt fine the moment right now, you know what I'm saying, Like I didn't a lot and then moment, but it was it.
Speaker 1: Was getting me.
Speaker 3: I was basically that he had like like a minimlitary background.
Speaker 1: And then like.
Speaker 7: Different person pieces of the first round now because basic basically you get getting him in.
Speaker 3: Kind of kind of like different, uh different a few years so shows you meet more letters.
Speaker 10: It was I was.
Speaker 11: Continues and we don't we don't doubt and I'm pretty pretty that to us. What were your thoughts on how Jordan's backstory can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm still kind of he was an interesting character throughout the whole the whole thing, you know, and we kind of already are familiar with the backstory as what anyway through the comics, so you know, it's kind of like it was supposed to be the thing that kind of got him started.
Speaker 1: But now I'm like, why are you the way you are now?
Speaker 5: Because we've seen how you were in the past, and now how did you get to this stage, So that's kind of what I'm what I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, as you mentioned earlier, Jailer, we do get different iterations.
Speaker 4: Even in this one episode, we bounce around between like thirty forty years and we jumped twenty years later in to twenty sixteen, So going from ninety six to twenty sixteen, and we see an older John Stewart link up with how Jordan for a training mission. Now A getting can I like how they didn't explain how John to me? How who was like his childhood hero? Why how is even acting like this? But he pulled up and what was it is that?
Speaker 3: Is that a cutlass?
Speaker 1: He pulled up and something crazy?
Speaker 4: And he's like just more loose, more casual, just kind of like a I don't know, he's just an interesting character already.
Speaker 1: What did you think of this older version of.
Speaker 5: How He's He's he's arrogant, he's an asshole. He isn't ready to relinquish the title. And it's almost like he was forced to have this black guy in the car. It's like it's like white training day or so, it's just like he's just dripping around with this guy in the car. They really don't want to mess with, but he has no choice. So it's an interesting way to put Howld Jordan, you know, as this sort of stubborn god that's reluctantly doing something that just seemed like he really wanted to do.
Speaker 1: That's a great description though, like a reverse training day. But with superheroes. I think that I like that what about you Jay?
Speaker 3: Did you?
Speaker 1: Did you? And did you?
Speaker 4: Like how we're learning about these characters in real time, Like again, like how they kind of deal with like Spider Man Homecoming where we didn't have to see you know, him get bit by the Spider Uncle Ben dine on that we just kind of jumped in. I feel like they're doing that with us, where we're like every be seen were learning like, Okay, this is how you got here, this is why you think, you think and you know these are your interactions.
Speaker 1: Do you enjoy that, especially as you as we meet the older version of how and John?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean for us, that's when I think it was like the man like my hero content like sho shows or sometimes very character before they get the powers. But at this point Niggigasi all these like like her he cont and like time, it makes like like giving me, you you, this is the person game powers. We can person making the conversations and the character of the version and also character the power time.
Speaker 3: So I was perfect. I'm not not when you first came, like know, I thought.
Speaker 12: It was.
Speaker 3: Because what was the song that was playing?
Speaker 1: He was bumping into what was it?
Speaker 5: It was?
Speaker 10: But that's what it too, I was like, But yeah, it's just it felt even even even the way it did, and.
Speaker 7: That like immediately like when you knew what kind of characters like that don't wanna beurnament.
Speaker 3: Through like the character in this moment. So this is perfect and how Johnson do it? So for me, I.
Speaker 4: I think show I think in movies you have to do origin story. I think in TV shows you can just tell your story because like again we've already had flashbacks, so Storage passed and even how George passed, like even in the first fifteen minutes, so we're learning their origin stories. As time goes on, you have more time to play with. But if you do it wrong, obviously it seems like you're wasting time. If you don't do it right, it feels like Okay, by the time we get to the end of the season, we know everything. You know about Greenlanders and these characters, so when but how when how it pulled up? I was happy as hell because I'm like, oh, this is him when he's got the job down past. I feel like the how that we saw on the interview was like I'm the first one, so like, I want you to know that I'm a regular human.
Speaker 1: I want you try to know that we're basically just like cops.
Speaker 4: Like he was trying to be as relatable as kids, because it's like, Nigga, you flying, you live in space essentially, like how do you how are you uh here to protect us when you don't really conduct in the ways of how we're normally used to being protected.
Speaker 1: I guess the.
Speaker 3: Story that we have this is who we hear when we leave.
Speaker 13: They haven't give him Awards story anymore like the common system like mann't really have that Ward Wars or later that haven't have War Wars story wards a Ward Wars storery.
Speaker 7: Most like at the pint, we're kind of like consciously we know, oh they gott that I was jumping I got.
Speaker 3: I don't see them. Yeah, I don't know human.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, basically we ain't wasting time. You came to watch Landers. We know you're a great Land fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, Ken, did you enjoy their chemistry together, especially when the car the car driving over the cliff scene? I did. I was shocked.
Speaker 5: We didn't see him really do anything with the ring, but they used that to kind of set up a little subtle small joke later on at the taco joint out which was literally called Tacos from what I saw, I was like, I don't know if I thought they were trying to advertise with some other stuff that they got. I was looking for the name of the player Taco, but I missed it. But either way to go, I think this was good.
Speaker 1: This was good.
Speaker 5: If he dies, then this is a problem solved. If he lives, then the training is going well. I was saying the same thing on the second rewich. I was like, what if he just what is the ring frew all the way back seat he had to try to reach for he would have wash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, tell the guardians he ain't the one.
Speaker 6: You would love to have more content from Frames per second. Become a patron where you can contribute to what we review and discuss. Our Patreon gives the listeners the power to nominate and vote a monthly discussion in film review, while also nominating and voting on weekly solo reviews from each cast member. You also get the opportunity to vote on the publicly released anniversary film all exclusive to our Patreon. So become a patron at patreon dot com frames per second where there are two tiers you can choose from. That's patreon dot com forward slash frames per second, Jay.
Speaker 4: What was your thoughts on the card over like, because we see them, like you Ken said, we see him use the ring technique, or we hear him use the ring, we don't see him use the ring. Did you like that this scene was like, especially in the trailer for this series, we kind of see a lot of stuff in that wasn't for the season, but it was actually just the first episode exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think that's why this scene didn't really like. It didn't really do a lot for me because it was in the trailer obviously.
Speaker 7: But I think they're gonna probably they're gonna lean on word of mouth because a lot of the trailer stuff is probably like from the beginning episodes, like it don't sell the Lanner's piece, and so you see though you see that trailer and it doesn't give you a lot to really feel like this.
Speaker 1: Is going on.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this this scene was It was alright because I already had seen it in the trail.
Speaker 1: I knew he was gonna get out of it.
Speaker 3: It was more so what.
Speaker 1: Happened after is that I really really which I figured.
Speaker 4: I figured that would be it because after surviving driving off to Cliffy, see John head to the tackle stand.
Speaker 1: How I told him to meet him att before he jumped out the car.
Speaker 4: But while he's walking, How's ring gets a Hollo brand message from How's younger self that told John to tell how that there's hell in Rushville, Nebraska. Jayleen, there's a lot of questions I have for the scene. I'm gonna first start off saying, do you like the design of the ring?
Speaker 3: The design and the ring ain't that it ain't it ain't something I like.
Speaker 7: I don't know if I'm a fan of the of the suit either, because I've seen the top half of the suit when I was first talking.
Speaker 3: I don't know I'm the biggest fan of that yet either. I'm definitely not.
Speaker 4: A fan of God garners On like that one that was a super Man. That's but that's like, that's those are comic accurate. And I feel like, like because the one thing I like about the MCU is like Captain America's suit changed over time. The one thing I like about iron Man iron Man suit changed over like you eventually like, Okay, we got to keep reworking this suit design because we wanted to see the character age with it. But also like we can get better look at suits, No, or you can sell toys. That's more so, that's the bottom line talk.
Speaker 7: Exactly, Like that's why Spider Man has so many suits in those movies, and this one is kind of surprising he doesn't have more than one suit, but yeah, it is. But I just I'm just not a and maybe it's just me because I'm not a DC fan and I don't know the law as much. All I know is my baseline is from Justice League Unlimited, Batman, animutit like that that universe is my baseline.
Speaker 3: So it seemed bulky.
Speaker 7: The suit seems boky, and I don't know if I'm the biggest fan of that, but I also understand why because the last mentioned was trash, so they're.
Speaker 3: Trying to find the middle ground. But the ring, I'm not the biggest fan of that design either.
Speaker 1: So then what about the hologram message how the ring works? I fuck with that.
Speaker 7: I don't know if that's worse, if that's in the low or not, but I fuck with it like a like it's like an accountability piece, you know what I'm saying. And I like the way they used it, especially with him come in and just talking to John and having like a true conversation, because when we see how the episode ends or whatever, I don't know if I want to see the character be gone. And this is kind of my way of like eventually throughout the universe existing, you know what I'm saying. So it made me fuck with that part of like the hologram being a thing of like Iron Man teaching re read type thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn can you?
Speaker 4: But I was gonna ask you the same similar questions, like what did you think of the ring design? And also what do you think about the holograph or a hologram scene the Ring time?
Speaker 5: Uh, it was different though, like like it was done with the three D printer or something. I don't know where that came from, but you know, maybe they wanted to do something different for the show. So but I don't know how well. It's a ring, so I think they would like to give it some more airtime. But we'll see it. But it didn't really bother me all that much. But I don't know why they just didn't go with the og ring that everybody know Like this is when you get yourself into trouble when you start making changes for no reason unless.
Speaker 1: They have one and it is to be revealed later. We'll we'll see.
Speaker 5: And you know the costume. You asked about the costume too, Yeah, the costume is fine, you know. Yeah, I didn't have any issues with the with the costume.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought, I mean, the ring is not sexy at all, but I think I like, I think I'll learned to like the design. What I really took away from that scene and can feel for your chime in as well, Jalen.
Speaker 1: The lore of the Ring is that it can damner do anything.
Speaker 4: So I've never seen this before from the Ring, but it doesn't surprise me that the Ring can do it, because it can literally damn or do everything it does. It does, it can pick you up by itself, it can talk to you, it can kind of do all that stuff. But it never shown that they can do it in this way, but I like how they explain it as far as like it's kind of like a police log or like how you know police cops after every case, every scene, they're supposed to all their hours and all what happened. This is their digital alien version of that. So I like that as a kind of a self conscious, like an AI kind of thing, Like I'm basically how in a sense, based on the years that we've been together, I know how to kind of bet him, but at the same time, I can't predict how he would have because that's why the ring was like asking questions like Damn, I ain't teach you this. I didn't do this, Like I like how I was like, Damn, I thought, based off how much time as past, I'll be doing things a lot better for you. But Ken, I don't know if you had anything to add on to that part. As far as his John's interaction with Howe's conscious that.
Speaker 1: One called me up by surprise.
Speaker 5: It had been questioning whether or not the other half was real, and then I was like, well, how would he drive the car? So I kind of got to where we needed to go. But it was really really weird because it was like, am I dead? And yeah, this sort of accountability thing. And it also showed, as John mentioned earlier that he was a lot nicer. It was like, that's a different version of you that I do not know. So now it's like, Okay, what the hell happened to him over these years? The tournament to that, So it was it was clever writing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I also feel like, even though none of us are really a fan of a ring, the way it still fits the world, you know what I'm saying, in that world, and it's like a gretty ugly feel to the world around it, so it fits.
Speaker 4: In, Like that's that's what I'm saying. I think I can fuck with it because it's like it's ugly. But it seemed like it don't matter, Like once you see the ring, you know the power of it. So it's like like if you have the most powerful thing in the world, it don't really matter. How Look, it's the most powerful thing in the world, you know what I'm saying. So that's where I take you. Moving on, we didn't see John link up with how at the Taco stand, but before you that, we kind of see how famous how is based on It's not being a green Lander from how he interacts with the locals, and we learn why he doesn't always wear the green Lander suit everywhere he goes, like some superheroes where they always wear their suit. Before I pass on to you can as far as like what did you think were your overall thoughts on his reasoning? I will say John, the character of John Stewart. I think Aaron Pierre is playing a really really good imitation of John Stewart because John Stewart from Jay you know this from the cartoon. He's real, like blunt, like you can tell, militant, Yeah, militant dude, Like he's not. There's not much charisma personality until later on the only time you see him christal personality and the animated shows when he went the biddies.
Speaker 1: We're about to We're gonna get to a conversation later all about Uh, but Keny, what did you think of How's reasoning for why he don't wear the suit?
Speaker 5: This whole thing was interesting because he is a he as celebrity, and you know with him with doctor shut and and dealing with that over and over again.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think it kind of kind of makes sense. It's like.
Speaker 5: What what what do you basically say, like, once you've seen it, the once you something along the lines of the magic Trick is over. Once you've seen it, it kind of loses it's luster or something like that.
Speaker 4: I think like once you learn about the magic Trick, Daniel loses it's luster, like.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm performing it, yeah yeah, yeah yeah, So and it didn't really change him at all, you know, it's like it becomes performed almost like for after a while, it becomes performing it for other people, and you know, they were people are like, oh, why don't you wear to ask about the suit when he's more than the suit and we see that like they still recognize and appreciate him for who he is. He doesn't really wear a mask at all, so they know who he is. But so why do I need the suit? So it's also like I'm just putting on the suit just to entertain you, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Jameen, well what were your thoughts on his reasoning?
Speaker 4: But also like what did you think of the scene after John tells how the message that he got, I.
Speaker 7: Feel like there's something that was going on. That's why you're not wearing this, That's what it just told me.
Speaker 3: Like between how he was ten years ago when the hologram came up and then.
Speaker 7: The way he was talking about the suit, like he didn't really give his example fit but it didn't fit, you know what I'm saying, Like he was pulling something on his ass because it wasn't the true reason why he doesn't wear the suit. It just feels like he's on the outs with maybe the Guardians or maybe somebody else. Maybe it's just it's something going on where he's disillusioned about something and it's like, man, fuck.
Speaker 3: That suit, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But it's not like he doesn't enjoy being Green lance because he was taking pictures, Like if he hated being Green Lantern, he wouldn't even take those pictures or like care to be seen by people. I don't think that's the part that bothers him. I think it's something about the symbolism of the suit or something that's going on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, John can Yeah, I told you that, military said. I think I like, again, did you enjoy the h What do you think about how just taking off that that was rude as fun?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 1: Because how the hell did you gonna get there?
Speaker 5: And we don't know how much money he got, but apparently got enough and he just left him there.
Speaker 1: And then left him with the with the bill with the bi.
Speaker 5: I'm like, first of all, it should have been on the house, but either way go Yeah, but I liked it because it showed like whatever is happening in that spot is serious enough for him to shift gears into this this other person's and he needs to go deal with it, like right away.
Speaker 1: So it was pretty cool to see him do that. Yeah, that was the first time we seen him serious since the interview, because.
Speaker 4: Like he's over here being casual, drinking the beer, talking to the locals, uh messing with John driving off cliff, but then once he heard another message, he gets into action. But like you said, Ken, we then see John has to travel all the way to Nebraska to link up with How, and when he finally does, it's at a crime scene at a local high school football field in Rushfield. Jay, what were your thoughts on the conversation between how and John when it came to how they review a potential alien crime scene, like how they break down the crime scene.
Speaker 7: I like the scene, but I don't even know why I like this scene because I guess It gave me that feel like because he said it was True Detective, people kept saying about it, and I'm not the biggest true to True Detective thing.
Speaker 4: Like they're talking about season one True Detective. They're not talking about the series anybody. Anytime someone says true Detective, they talking about Matthew occonnae hey and what he hear else.
Speaker 1: They're talking about Vince Vaughn and god damn Colin Firth.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, all right, well, I just like the way it was being set up, especially, I like this giving me the feel of.
Speaker 3: Sorry about that. This a little nigga he want to be seeing.
Speaker 1: Like like how it's going to your points is what it is, but.
Speaker 7: Understanding that basically that how his experienced like he was. He was just sitting there, He was taking all the information in. He was like not over analyzing anything, and he was just patient in that moment. As far as John, John was just an anxious love he was just anxious his face like trying to I get it.
Speaker 3: I would be upset too if.
Speaker 7: I didn't took a plane and drove there and did all this extra shit just to see you sitting at a football field and then the sheriff coming over there being extra too, I get all that, but he just.
Speaker 3: Seemed composed like he knew exactly what he was doing.
Speaker 7: And I think that's what I like the most because out of all the sporadic and all the extra stuff we had in the beginning of this episode, seeing like he was like not put together, like something else is going on with him right now, were reminded, you know, how to do his fucking job, and that was important, and.
Speaker 1: Even reminded John about that. He said, I'm the first one from Earth.
Speaker 4: Ever been at this with this ring. Don't don't don't question me, but what did you think about that scene? And also what do you think of Sheriff Kelly?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Think John got a lesson all the way around. He got a lesson from from how How's experience. He's there for a reason. He doesn't know what it is, but just sit down and fucking wait and find out. Stop being so anxious and let me kind of guide you. Which now maybe I kind of understand why he may be annoyed with him. He's probably doing that ship all the time. But and we saw him mess up and the sheriff. The sheriff after schooling because he saw this thing that happened down there. He was like, that's out of place. So you're doing a great job of scouting the scene. But then you run down there and you didn't realize that the sheriff was already up on it too, and that she's actually probably really good at her job. So he just messed up everything. So he really became a rookie real quick in that moment. But if he'll he'll learn from it.
Speaker 4: For me, I was thinking, like, you know how they always talk about like soldiers could be cops, Like you would think it would be a smooth transition. But to me, I'm looking at John, it's like you could tell he's a smart, intelligent soldier. I think he's a marine or something like that, or he was a sharp shooter. But he's not a good cop. He's not a smart good cop yet. And you had and you, like you mentioned can you had the bookends of an alien cop and a regular cop and they both noticed the same thing. You you're the one in this scenario who didn't notice that and caused it because she when he came down said she's like, nigga, we all know what he there. Why are you bringing attention of saying that something that we all know, because John came off like he knew exactly how to break down a crime scene by how he you know, was saying how the bodies got there while they stand down and all this and that. But it's like, notah, bro, you didn't really look well you observed, you didn't You don't know how to react. So because of that, we then learned that how it was right about the suspect because he was arguing with the sheriff about whether it was not an alien or not. And we come to find out aliens are just like humans. They always return to the scene of the crime. And since John startled him, the guy started running, or the alien started running, but he looks like a regular white man in Nebraska, and he takes off. But luckily John, you know, through his smarts and his athleticism as they called kid, he tracks him down, punched him in the face, and arrest him.
Speaker 1: Jalen, what were your thoughts on.
Speaker 4: Again, kind of going back on how telling John that he's the first lander on Earth and until he dies, he's the only landan on Earth. Do you think he feels intimidated by this presence.
Speaker 7: How I feels intimidated by John's presence. No, he's just like I'm I'm the nigga. It's that example, like I am who I am like, and it's again, I think that's still a piece of how that may be mentoring in a sense to see if you're even worthy of the ring. But the other part is probably no matter what happens, I am Green Lantern like it's jay Z. Hey man, all y'all, I'm Jay, I'm old y'all, y'all niggas, y'all, good, y'all do y'all thing like y'all doing what y'all doing, But y'all won't be me like no matter you could be the best rapper today, but I'm I'm still mean no matter what.
Speaker 3: No, I don't completely know, but I'm just saying like.
Speaker 4: This the overall sentimce that that's the most obvious example to kind of get for what you're saying, I got you, I got you can What did you think about?
Speaker 1: Well, do you think that how it's intimidated by John? Because I think I do. I see it clearly.
Speaker 5: I think it's intimidated by John. But I think it's because in order for him to get the ring and become a successor. He has to die, and I think that's the thing he's concerned about the most, and he's saying over and over again.
Speaker 1: I'm not giving up my ring. In other words, I'm going to live.
Speaker 5: And I think for me, that's that's when it kind of start and stopped there outside of the fact that he may be really good, but in order for him to get the job, he has to die.
Speaker 1: He's not he's not ready to die yet.
Speaker 4: That was the thing that I was looking at, Like, it's kind of like, again, you're working at a job and you and they always, you know, the number one thing people tell you to do is not to train your replacement.
Speaker 1: And but this is also the job, like to get replacement is you have to die. It's kind of like, what is it?
Speaker 4: A Supreme Court justice, Like it's a life term thing. So for me, it's like he's like a walking.
Speaker 1: What is it? What is the guy? The grim Reaper? Essentially?
Speaker 4: And he black already too, so it just he's younger than them, he's black, he's athletic, he got some smarts on him. It's like it's easily, you know, mister white man always think that's that's the case scenario. Okay, So I think he's intimidated that not necessarily by him as a character, but just him as like what he represents. So I find that very interesting for their relationship dynamic. But we then see Howl and John go to a local bar for a drink.
Speaker 1: But we learned not only.
Speaker 4: About How's past as far as how he got the ring, but also how your plans to get into the jail and interrogate the suspect because the sheriff. Sheriff Kelly is not a big fan of Greenlanders, like I don't think a big fan of superheroes. She just kind of wants to keep that separate from her time, from her lifestyle. But in this case, it's impossible. So, uh, Jay, what did you think about the bar scene?
Speaker 7: I mean, we're gonna get to I mean we including everything what happened in outside the bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking about that.
Speaker 7: I mean I figure how his plan was gonna work. I mean I get why he thought it would work, but I always think the way, like, if I know you want to be here and you get arrested, why would I put you in this?
Speaker 3: Like I know what you're here for. It, Like I know, I just watched you like the sheriff, unless the sheriff is absolutely a but it doesn't.
Speaker 7: It never makes sense to me when people get like arrested to go inside a facility if somebody is trying to keep you outside and keep you from talking to the person.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad that they debunked that and his his plan just didn't work. But the conversation they.
Speaker 7: Would have and just gave me more of gave me more insight of John Stewart's like just the storicness and like how strict to the book he is, and he's he's respectful to a point though, Like I could feel him giving that pushback and I was, all right, he ain't just a good dude, like he just got a good do it and we saw we saw obviously when he left the bar.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: What I find is one of the reasons why I love being black. And I know this is a random and this is probably the goofiest reason I saw. I was hoping you will keep this behind Patreon, but I'm going to say it for the audience. The onely reason I love being black is, no matter what you know, when you can spot a nigga, and no matter how buttoned up they are, no matter no matter how militant, no matter how studious, whatever fifteen the words you want to use, there's gonna be a moment time where you see where he is.
Speaker 1: I knew you was in there, So for me, of course.
Speaker 4: I want to hear your thoughts on what you thought about How's actual origin story, because they summarized it essentially, that's how it works in the comics.
Speaker 1: But what, like, why was John being so friendly with the with the white lady, the older white lady at the bar.
Speaker 3: She wasn't even bad, bro, She's okay again.
Speaker 1: As he been.
Speaker 3: I think that. Would I get your point? Can I get it? I get I don't completely agree with it, but I also understand it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, free access too. So look, man, he just had to cut He caught a plane. He had to drive all the way over there, like.
Speaker 3: Stressed.
Speaker 5: He needed He almost died Nick, So he had to he had to get his vengeance on the white man somehow, some way.
Speaker 3: In number one way, he had to chase that white man. He had to run that white man down.
Speaker 1: That were appreciated it. Don't be a minister, but.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I was hoping they wouldn't go there, but they did, and we see, we learned the reasons why. I don't know why they worked put all this into the show. I don't even think it's necessary. Hopefully it pays off a couple of episodes later, but but yeah, I like the way that Howe told his story though.
Speaker 1: I thought that that was really really good.
Speaker 5: He once again got real serious and you're starting to see the different versions of him.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was that. That was good.
Speaker 5: And then you know, for all the comic book people out there, it is kind of good to go and hear the story. And then for people that's not too familiar with it, now they have an audible telling of the story as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought again, once we found out that there's aliens a foot in this town, I was saying, like she had alien why is he talking to her?
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 4: I thought it was like more strategic for why he was talking to her, like because remember he said, she said, are you one of those alien cops?
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 4: He was like, I never said we were alien, Like you know what I'm saying, like her, we were cops? Like it was kind of like I thought he was like doing his own version of an interrogation. But then once the scene ended with them in the but not even a backseat can it was? It was in the front seat of truck, you know what I'm saying. Like he was like, all right, bro, you.
Speaker 1: Just you just who you are? Who you are? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But overall, let me before move on real quick, do y'all y'all mess with how Jordan at this point? Can you see why he's an interesting character? Do you think like you get you can't like root for him?
Speaker 1: Essentially? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with it so far that fuck with him so far, Like I.
Speaker 7: Already went into it with my my bodas of all I know is John Stewart, So I don't give me more scream time with John Stewart.
Speaker 1: I don't care about how at all.
Speaker 3: But they convinced me to give a fuck about him, and I want I want to learn more about the character, not me.
Speaker 5: He's annoying and ship and there are reasons why, and I guess we'll we'll find him. But I think that's enough to to create a curiosity. But on the on the on the other side, you know, John Stewart is dry and stale and uninteresting, exactly, So it's it's a good contrast between the two. But but nah, nah, he's yeah, I'm yeah, he bossed me, asshole.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: Can Loua understand what I said.
Speaker 4: I'm a huge fan of the actor that plays how Jordan like is to exactly, That's what I'm saying, Like, like, he can do no wrong, So like him playing this role is actually really entertaining for those you are fans of. His most well known role is Friday Night Lights coach Taylor, So him being at the high school football field was interesting because that's.
Speaker 1: Pretty much what the whole serious is about.
Speaker 4: But uh, I'm messing with more than John Stewart at this point because, like you said, like he's he's playing the character so well that this is the reason why I see why no one likes John Stewart as like the green like their favorite Greenland or well know black folks do, just because he's the only brother that that we got. But Mike would hate him because he a cop. Yes, So but I like how Jordan.
Speaker 1: I like how Jordan.
Speaker 4: We didn't see, like you mentioned, Jay House plan work, but not in the way he wants it to, because he does get locked up. But we see the sheriff put him in a broom closet and has set him up to see a judge for bail.
Speaker 1: Ken, What were your thoughts on this courtroom scene. I liked it.
Speaker 5: They're adding more stuff to us or they're building out the story with this guy that Watson Apparently he must be the guy in the town Dad is another layer with the being the sheriff's husband, and it got him out of jail because he ended up putting himself in a situation where that's stupid as playing he coulncocted, which led to the nets scene and the other guy. So in terms of like storytelling, it's making sense in regards to how we get to certain places.
Speaker 4: They were your thoughts on the court room scene and the random I as a lawyer that came up to defend him Billy Macon, the.
Speaker 7: Way he came up, I thought he had to be a DC character and I thought maybe there's some significance the way he came up, But I mean, I don't know, but overall it didn't do anything for me.
Speaker 3: It was just like, all right, cool. It is a reminder of how really didn't give it. He don't give it a damn about jurisdiction and all that he's about his mission.
Speaker 7: He's focused, it's some importance going on, and he has gone a hold on what is happening, and that's all. It just reinforced me everything else. I didn't really have any anything that I really took from this scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I figured the way he was introduced, I was like, I shouldn't know this.
Speaker 4: I was like, because I was going through my DC well known people, I don't remember him, so maybe I'm just gonna go with it. I didn't want to research anything to get spoiled, you know what I'm saying. So at this point, I'm just like, if I don't remember him, then I'm hoping that there's a great reveal.
Speaker 1: To who he actually is or who his dad actually is.
Speaker 4: But it was interesting that I found out that he's when we find out that Billy is married to Kelly and that his dad is some rich rancher who lives close by and has invited him to dinner. Ken, what did you think of how Kelly was reacting when they were meeting Bill at the courthouse and how she didn't even mention that she was married to him, that's her husband, Like at.
Speaker 1: Least that's how I got it. No, she said that there was my husband. Yeah, but like reluctantly just marriage ship, Why why are you here? What are you doing here? Like come on? Like who sent you? Yeah? It was just like yeah and my trip and j.
Speaker 3: I don't think you trip it. I mean, it's just it's just I'm leaning into what Ken saying. He married. I ain't married ship, so I would let him.
Speaker 4: You can you know how the wife be. You know the women are who are married, they be like, I want you to love me enthusiastically. That was not an enthusiastic love or JESU. That's why I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Keep a eye on that.
Speaker 4: Probably get on her nerves, I'm sure. Yeah, but even then, even then, what were your thoughts on his dad? Will will make him?
Speaker 1: Make him man?
Speaker 5: He's interesting too, that that's the guy from me he was in I think he was a helix but I look it up. But he knows some ship and I don't know what he knows, what he's up to, but it's it's something and I don't know if he all well.
Speaker 1: He apparently he knows a lot of ship.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, he's gonna be an interesting character, because that's that's a it's not an A list actor or even maybe a B list actor, but he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's one. Yeah if you know, you know kind of actors.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he ain't he ain't here just because so it'll be interesting to see what they do with him. But he has a lot of seems like a lot of power and influence in that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I'm watching Lions right now and I'm catching up.
Speaker 3: On all lot of shit.
Speaker 7: So when she was talking about Owen favors and all that type of stuff, I was like, Oh, so some some some some corrupt shit going on. Nigga selling drugs and then seeing the militia when he drove up and seeing all that with the guns.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, like, what what exactly are they doing?
Speaker 7: Because I don't think you think you're gonna take on aliens with that guns. So that's why you got the green landing. Like Nick, it all makes sense, but I was like, there's something underlying here that I'm curious to know more about.
Speaker 3: The mom talking about it, it's just really what's really kept.
Speaker 7: I just wouldn't really want to know what the fuck is going on, Like, let's saw this as fast as possible.
Speaker 1: And and that's the true detective element. It's like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: But each scene, each way we inch towards it, it's as interesting as the last one. So I think that's how you can kind of keep people in suspense without annoying them with this, with this kind of way you tell a story, because everybody likes to find, you know, try to solve a crime on their own, and they want to see if they're right at the end. But that made me really interested in the conversation that Will and how had John was off in the back do on some goofy shit. But when Will was grilling the ribs and stuff like that, he was like he was talking to holl about He was like, Bru, you're really the one that kind of cracked open all this stuff because you now made us realize not only are we not the only ones in this universe, we're probably at the bottom of it when it comes to life and.
Speaker 1: Intelligence and all that.
Speaker 4: So Ken, he says something that I want you to react to, Like he said a white man line that doesn't really be used, that isn't used for anybody else but minorities, where he was like or he used the minority line that isn't really used by white man when he was like the one thing about conversation that it's bleak. But no matter what, the worst perspective of lanization is being colonized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, that was that was a phenomenal.
Speaker 4: To me, that was a bar Yeah, well only only because not because of what he was saying, because that's an obvious thing, but it's because of who was saying that. Like, this looks like the most whitest man in America, white man on the rams rerialing on, you know, a rack of ribs, and he's saying like, I'm scared to be to be a nigga.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, he has a militia for a reason, so it's hard to say he's We don't know if he's an ally or not, but right now with that militia, it's hard to tell in a state like that. But he understands fully well the history of not only America but globally what colonization looks like. Now, imagine if that ship was in space and the muffleckers got all kind of shit that they don't have on Earth with our powers.
Speaker 1: It's just it'll be pretty damn bleak. And you're right, he doesn't want to go through that ship. Jay.
Speaker 4: You know what I was thinking of when he was saying, because you know, he kept HOWD kept on trying to ask him, like who does he work for?
Speaker 1: Who does he report to? You know what I was thinking because because I mentioned government, I was like, is that Amanda Waller?
Speaker 3: Mmm?
Speaker 4: And that's why she wants and that's why she wants the help from Greenlander because he's obviously it's a space cop and you know, Miranda, Amanda Waller knows how to deal with cops based being a government you know, like, and also she's aware that there's extraterrestrial stuff because she's Amanda Waller.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's not a bad guess and not bad. I mean, they just canceled the TV series, but.
Speaker 4: The but Marvel's doing the same thing too, and it seems like it's all the ship that had either a black lead or minority led like cast.
Speaker 1: So I'm not taking into government. To me, the Amanda Waller series is a layup though.
Speaker 7: Again I think it's the government bro like Warner Brothers is getting brought by Paramount Trump fuck with that, and we just see Bob I got with Trump, with the Lakers, I think all that ship tied together.
Speaker 3: But I think that's just my opinion.
Speaker 1: It could be who knows, uh, Ken, you shook your head at that Man and wall thing. Why, I don't know. I don't, I don't, I don't. I can't see how working for Man and Waller nobody wants to nobody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly true, but she she tends to like to get people that she control. And Jacob he doesn't come across as one like that.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 5: I don't think he works for anybody. I think that that God just think that he must be working for somebody or with somebody.
Speaker 4: So so, what was y'all moving on to the goofy side of this, what was your reaction when everybody found out that John slept with his wife except for John?
Speaker 1: What did he say?
Speaker 3: There's nothing better than eating off another man's grill? Yeah, that ship there's hilarious.
Speaker 12: I mean, he went live about to say, ain't cute, but.
Speaker 14: It was just I don't know, man, I like the turn of events there, but a part of me is like, why are you dumb enough that to let that happen.
Speaker 1: But then it's like your nigga, you didn't know, will found out like the rest of us.
Speaker 7: But I wonder how you found out though, Like, yeah, how you found out? Is the other thing that I told mine.
Speaker 1: She probably told him. I think they got a relationship like that to where it's like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, when you're making that much money, them relationships are always a little fluid.
Speaker 1: Somebody snitched, Nick. It's not a lot of black people, and they were in the truck and outside of a big black motherfucker.
Speaker 5: So some once that white somebody whiten this or walking out with that black motherfucker.
Speaker 1: They were on the phone ace out.
Speaker 5: Yep, you're right, So I think somebody snitched, but gonna be freaking enough to tell. It's just why I work this into the story. And the other thing is did he fuck up his food? That's what I was trying to figure out. And if he did it on purpose, Well, he did it on purpose, But did he suck up his food?
Speaker 1: I can tell no.
Speaker 4: I mean he gave him tofu, so that was already messed up. You know what I'm saying, He'll get it. I don't know how you can make tofu great but we'll see. I thought it was interesting because again, like you mentioned that, it just shows how stupid John was, like, not only are you just messing around with anybody that you see in a new town, a new area, because even Will brought it up when he when they came into his house the first time, he was like, y'all, don't do no intel, like I know all this stuff about y'all, y'all just busting here, thinking.
Speaker 1: Like this could be a whole track. And you saw the guns, like.
Speaker 4: He's like, I don't care if you got the most you know, a nuclear bomb that's basically like a dragon on your finger, like you still got to do your homework. I thought that was an interesting scene the frame to point out, like because that was a shot at both of them. But later, uh later that everything we see that Hal and John head back to the car and Will tells How that he can go see the inmate, the president that's locked up, that How has been trying to see this whole time in the morning because he got some connections.
Speaker 3: Jay.
Speaker 4: After we move on to the next scene where we see holl and John meet up with Sheriff Kelly. What were your thoughts before we get to the interrogation scene when John said there are fourteen alien species that can look and be viewed as human from outside and inside, and then I.
Speaker 7: It just reminded me of men in black, like you remind me of men in black, Like all right now, y'all, y'all, y'are trying to say, like the shape shifters and Mike Martian man Hunter and all that. I was like, all right, we in this world. Let's let's let's get to it. That's more so how I felt when he said it. I didn't know where it was going from there. A part of me felt like how it was gonna be wrong, and I think they were. I thought it was gonna set me up to it, like, oh.
Speaker 3: This niggas just wrong. He just he off his rocker a little bit. So when he said it, it was just like me feeling more and more like, all right, they're trying to tell me he's gonna be wrong. It's gonna be a misdirection.
Speaker 7: But this right here, as far as like that, all I thought was martianman Hunter, like shape shift.
Speaker 3: There's another shape shift I know in DC, but I can't think of the name right now.
Speaker 7: But yeah, that's all I really thought about, is maybe they bringing in Marshall Manhunt at the.
Speaker 3: End and something like that.
Speaker 1: What did you think about the interrogation? Oh, go ahead, can I be Nah, that.
Speaker 5: Would be cool bringing in Marshall man Hunter. It's easy to do because he's just a shape shifter.
Speaker 1: No, I like that.
Speaker 5: It with this whole interrogation scene was really really dope because it's like, you know, Halla's right here and you're just waiting to see how he's going to break the guy, And I'm like, is he gonna have to use fours? Is he just going to be able to talk him into it? And we see he just he just basically just kept pressing him and pressing him into the guy. Just the alien just got fucking fed up. He was like, all right, you caught me. But and then he hit the well whether let's just say that I am lying or worded. Everybody was like damn, this was right. Yeah, so all of.
Speaker 7: This, you can't My mind started to change when John stut was like, nah, I think he's right.
Speaker 3: But when that nigga asked him about Obama, he was jay.
Speaker 4: He was like, it's twenty sixteen and you don't got an opinion on black, who's saying Obama in Nebraska?
Speaker 1: Like he was like, what I'm saying, you don't belong here.
Speaker 4: It was it was the most it was the most accurate thing because it was it was not it was everything else he said. Once he said Nebraska, it was like everything he said before them was like it makes the most perfect sense why he thinks he's alien, Like because he trying to get him on like some you know, pop culture stuff like what do you think about Harry Potter? He was trying to do like thea basket football history and all that stuff, Like it was stuff that you can kind of easily Wikipedia and all that. But when he was asking like real political thoughts and like or like a real human answer, he didn't get a human response.
Speaker 3: Man, the Harry Potter one.
Speaker 1: I was like, maybe he don't know how Yeah, you know what I'm saying, get what.
Speaker 3: He was trying to do.
Speaker 7: But even in the like the other questions he was asking about, like football, He's like, so you like football so much from where you're from, you can't watch a rivalry football game. All that made like I was like, all right, yeah, he lying, But that question of Barock boy, that shit took me out because you right there.
Speaker 3: It was like you live in Nebraska and don't and ruled Nebraska, don't have no no opinion on Barack Obama.
Speaker 1: You could just tell me he the forty fourth president.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, nigga, he was a fucking alien like that shit. They took me out.
Speaker 1: What's your thoughts here?
Speaker 5: It's brilliant writing because you kind of got it as soon as he said it, because like that just doesn't exist anywhere in the world. Definitely the owner so and especially you a yes. And then we drilled down further, especially where he's at. It's just it's just not gonna happen. So you know, those guys are programmed to have all the answers to everything, so they don't really have strong opinions. But so they got to get that right so that somebody gonna send that back and say, like, we need to have opinions on politics one way or the others. We don't get caught like that.
Speaker 1: But no, it was it was. It was really good.
Speaker 5: It was really good because you didn't know what answer, what what what would be the one that trip him up?
Speaker 1: And it just happened to be that one.
Speaker 5: Leave it to a black man's exactly exactly one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Ken Were you surprised that he actually blew up because I thought he was bluffing on that one suicidur mission? Nah? Nah No, I was bri I think it made sense we're goin to blow up.
Speaker 7: I thought I thought he was bluffing too, like even him asking how like he be charger ringing and been out here for a couple of days, like you may not even have charge. The back and forth of that, the way it went from being funny about the Barack Obama piece to the intensity of it and then going back and forth as far as one trying to call the other one's bluff was great, Like it felt seamless, and it's hard to.
Speaker 3: It's hard to make that transition happen a lot of times on screen, like you can probably write it, but like.
Speaker 7: For me, the MCU has been struggling with it as a late like that make you laugh, but it'll take you out of a serious ass scene. This one right here it felt perfect as far as like, yeah, this is still serious, but I'm laughing because I get the inside joke of it. Why it's so damn funny, But it's still a serious matter that's happening. And yeah, every piece of this was this whole scene was just great, but they capped it off, and I'm just like, all right, I want more.
Speaker 3: Of this shit, Like, just give me more of this world.
Speaker 4: And on top of that, like they're dropping lore in an interrogation scene because you learned that lanternsy to have h they need to recharge their ring. The ring isn't just unlimited power, and you actually have to have an actual fucking lantern. And if you know about anything about green lantern lore, the lantern has used like a spare tire. Like people be like, damn, I forgot to bring that, Like when they when they had a juice, they just turned into a regular dude with an ugly ring.
Speaker 1: So it's just like it's very interesting.
Speaker 4: Like I like how they dropped the lore in a scene that you're just paying attention to everything else but that.
Speaker 1: And I was again surprised that they blew up. But he blew up. He was right.
Speaker 4: He was like, bro, how do you not know my blast radius? Isn't the whole damn town so like? And it damned it looked like it did because he while he buried them in you know behind the ring. I think it was trying to put like a stone wall around him. He still blew back, and it blew up the whole air basement area and half of the downtown area.
Speaker 1: Not in a big explosion, but just enough to know that something exploded.
Speaker 7: The guy's experiences, most people just made the force feel around the people there. He's like, nah, I got to contain the black that it makes more sense to contain the blast and like the shield with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we got confirmation that there are aliens in Rushville, Nebraska, but before we see what happens next, we jumped forward in time. So we jumped ten years later in twenty twenty six, and we see an older John Stewart with an older sheriff Kelly back in Rushville, Nebraska during what it seems like wintertime. He got the John Stewart mustache that you think you see in Justice League Unlimited. And we learned that there's only one person who's seen the crime scene that they're about to walk up into, and that's the I think the if she said the janitor or something like the groundskeeper. And what we find out is that we see a dead how Jordan shot in the head and sitting in the snow ken What was your thoughts on how we ended this episode.
Speaker 5: I was shocked because I did not expect that he was such a pivotal part of this whole episode and they took him out just like that. So, uh, he lost his job, So John John has to take over. But now really curious to see how he's a well known he's a known actor, uh, based on what you guys said, so they're definitely gonna.
Speaker 1: Probably do the time travel back and forth to keep him part of the show.
Speaker 5: But I'm like, now, it's like, now it's it's on you, John, Let's see if you learned anything during the last couple of years that they.
Speaker 1: Have been live.
Speaker 5: But but nah, it definitely caught me on guard because I didn't expect that. I thought we were going to get this sort of buddy cop thing for the rest of the series. And yeah, it's like, no, sir and Jay before you go.
Speaker 4: What I like, what I found brilliant about the ending of this episode is that they backed themselves into a corner when they when Hale said, like broil until I die, you can't get the ring. Essentially, so the whole point of training him is like for when I do die, So it's like that's why it's It was brilliant to end it this way, to say like he yeah, John, because we all know John Stewart gonna get a ring, but it's not gonna be in like a fairy tale goofy way, like all the Guardians can are allowing two cops and on Earth. Now it's like, nah, bro, it's the same way we said it was somebody gotta get popped, and we really see that he got popped. And I thought it was brilliant to show that, like John is eventually going to become who we think he is, but it's gonna look ugly in the middle.
Speaker 1: What you think, Jay, Nah?
Speaker 3: I agree with you.
Speaker 7: Like it caught me by surprises to see how it was gone. But again that's what made me appreciate the Holler game eymore. Just like I don't want to y'all may not like this character as much as I do right now, but I don't want to see this character it disappears based off what I've seen in the first episode.
Speaker 3: So if there's a way for the.
Speaker 7: Character to continue to be around in some type of way, basically coaching John I'm down for it, but it did take me by as a product.
Speaker 3: Damnick til that ain't off the board already. And in the back of my mind I knew he was reviewing. We already talk to our review the like I know, niggahood is shit. This nigga gone already, somebody off the board.
Speaker 1: All I'm conflicted.
Speaker 4: I'm conflicted Jay, because I love I love this actor, like, I really love how he does it. The crazy thing is, in most of the shows he in, it goes this way, he gets popped.
Speaker 1: I don't know. This is in his contract, so you don't so.
Speaker 4: He can always have more gigs, but he always gets and he's like one of the best parts of every show that he's in. And then somehow somebody be like, nah, were gonna take them off, and it's like all right. So I think, to me, the way they're doing the John and how thing with the hologram stuff around too much of like Man of Steel where we see Henry Cavill superman like get coached by his dad and all that stuff like Kryptonian technology.
Speaker 1: So I think that they kind of copy that idea a bit.
Speaker 4: Obviously, the show was copied from a lot of other shows, but at least if you're gonna copy somebody, do it in the Kobe version, where like, yeah, we know where where you got your stuff from, but you still executed on all that, you know what I mean? So I again, I loved how we had it. I don't know who killed the next qeresson. I ask who I think killed how? But I guess we got too many things to kind of figure out first that would kind of lead us to that answer. But I'll be curious to think if it's the aliens or because it's a bullet hole, so it could be a human, like you know what I'm saying, Like, it's just I think there's It leaves it open to like who killed the first Greenland.
Speaker 5: I didn't think about. I completely forgot about the AI or the hologram or whatever the thing is. Jalen, that's that's how you can keep them around. That's damn. That's pretty good. Damn, that's actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: I like that. That doesn't hell though? Do you say that? Do you just say that that? That may not be? When I asked, be hell because Troy got three, John got three, but no no one got the ring.
Speaker 3: He got excited and ring with.
Speaker 1: Damn John a asshole j Bro.
Speaker 4: He looked at him, He looked at him for one hard second that his little mini condolences.
Speaker 1: Whatever he got, So maybe maybe it's alien.
Speaker 3: No, I would have said, what that damn nigga you said was out here.
Speaker 1: Working exactly exactly what you look at me, nigga, I got a damn I got a goddamn green Lennen ring.
Speaker 4: But but I thought again, I was like, because everybody knows what Greenlander is at this time, it's like what thirty forty years after he introduced himself to the world, so like they know what his ring can do and what you know, if you got it, you got it. You know the theory is brilliant. That's what Drake said. But you got quickly wrap up and Jay, I'm sorry I wasn't as good as you. I couldn't get us out for you. But are you all excited about how the series is going and how things are being played out? Do you have this episode increase your anticipation or like your thoughts of the overall series or it's just still something that you're like, I got to see more before I say anything, like I.
Speaker 3: Said in this episode, man, I'm excited, Bro, I'm here for it.
Speaker 7: Like my expectations were pretty high for it compared to like a lot of people around me.
Speaker 3: But for me right now, I'm feeling good about what this series on.
Speaker 5: My expectations were waiting to see, and they did a good job of hooking with the first episode. So now I'm curious to see, like how much Gring Lantern usage we get and having the ring maybe maybe him hunting for the ring is a good way to not have us look for look to see him use the ring, But we've got to see him do more with the ring instead of giving white women or giving people a.
Speaker 4: Light you know, yeah, I want because like Jay, you kept bringing this up for a Tom Howland spider Man, you was like, brou he got these special suits too early, like like when when can I see him be Spider Man?
Speaker 1: When can I see him struggle?
Speaker 4: And we start off the gate like house whole partners, Like, Bro, before you get this ring, I need to see if you actually a good cop?
Speaker 1: Can you be a good cop?
Speaker 4: Can you can you actually because he was like what he was like if and when are the two biggest questions that you're going to have to answer when it comes to how you use this ring. And I was like, I thought that was a brilliant line that he said, because that is true, like anybody who has that ring on, It's like if it us bro, I'm using that to move through Atlanta traffic.
Speaker 1: I'm using that, you know, I'm using it for movies.
Speaker 3: I'm not using I can't find the remote.
Speaker 7: I'm using that.
Speaker 4: I'm using it for the most peddiest reasons ever, but for someone who is taking it very seriously, Like again, if and when are gonna be the times that you need to decide when, like you're gonna use this powerful weapon.
Speaker 1: So I like how things are being played out.
Speaker 4: I'm curious to see how what would be revealed because I do think at this point there are gonna be shaped shisters And what's the best way to introduce Martian Manhunter than through this show as a true detective show. I think that's brilliant. So yeah, I'm excited for it. Any other thoughts on this episode or lances in general. Next week, We're ready.
Speaker 1: So again, we don't know if we're gonna be doing this week to week more.
Speaker 4: Than like you probably are, but if not, please make sure you like rate review, us FPS podcast is the reddit thread that's also our handle for ig and Twitter, And yeah, we'll catch you on the next episode.
Speaker 1: We out peace, Peace