Speaker 1: Meantime on the Andy Moore demon If Group Potline. He is the voice of the Fever friend of this show, Pat Boylan joins us, Hello, Pat, how are you John?
Speaker 2: I'm going to be with you?
Speaker 1: What is the game? The performance individually? Speaking of Caitlyn Clark last night, what does that rank and performances you've seen from her prior?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Up there anecdotally top of my head, probably top five. I mean when you consider look, I know, at face value, you look at this game on Sunday and somebody who maybe is a more casual fan m look at it and say, well, they beat a non playoff team against in Chicago. You know that doesn't jump off the page. But if you look at the circumstances around this game. This was the fifth game of Indiana's longest road trip of the season. We know how difficult the final games of road trips can be. The WNBA schedule makers did not do them any favors by making that fifth game a back to back. They played on Saturday and then they played on Sunday. You don't have a Leah Boston, one of your Big three. Chicago had won three in a row going into that game, and of course you're on the road, so all of those things considered. You know, I thought Sunday had the potential to be one of those games that could be of the trap variety and really really challenging. And without a Leah Boston, you're missing so much frontcourt presence. You needed big games from both of your guards to win. Now it turns out you've got spectacular games. I don't know that you quite needed thirty seven and ten and thirty. I mean, what what Caitlyn Clark and Kelsey Mitchell did in the second half was spectacular. It was It was maybe the best half performance I've seen from those two combined. When you looked at what they did and you know, missing one of their all stars, those two stepped up in a big way. Obviously, Caitlin was brilliant, not just with her shooting, but with her passing as well. And on a night where you have to step your game up a little bit at the end of a road trip, tired legs could be coming into play. The Fever looked the opposite, and in their three back to backs this year, second half of back to backs, they're three and zero in those games. So I think a testament to mental toughness as well as physical.
Speaker 1: As Pat Boiler and the voice of the Fever on the Andy Morri Automotive croupilin also a part of the Pacer Radio and Television networks, in which we'll talk a little bit about the content provider of that coming up a little bit later on. But you look back at the Fever and they were on top of a two game losing skid, and really there were some situations, maybe not late in Dallas, but at least in the second half, but definitely late in that Brooklyn game to where it came down to execution, and it was disappointing. The Fever did not qualify in that category to execute at the level in which it was necessary to win on the road. So I think yesterday that was another reason why last night that that game was so good, because as you kind of wondered where they might have been at the tail end of that road trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I and again it had all the makings of a game that whatever you want to describe at trap game whatever, being way way more difficult than you might appear it to be on the schedule. I mean, Chicago, who came in on a night's rest just beat Golden State in their previous game. Who currently is the two seeds, So I mean it gives you an idea they're playing at a higher level than the record suggests, and there were so many factors that were going against them, and you know, frankly, it was a dog fight through three quarters. Caitlin and Kelsey really started to emerge in that third quarter, but you go to break and I think after the third it was a four or five point game, and I remember thinking, Wow, those two were just spectacular, but you still have so much work to be done well then those two and not just those two, by the way, I thought Mikaela Timpson was really good again. Sophie Cunningham knocked down some shots. Maybe Lexi Hull's best game of the season and certainly her best in the last couple of month. So all of that's significant. Two, but your stars weren't just stars. They were playmakers down the stretch. They executed down the stretch, and you're right, you know, I thought for eight thirty of that fourth quarter against New York the Fever played extremely well and were riding a momentum wave that I thought was going to carry them across the finish line. After Kelsey Mitchell hit that three to tie the game with about ninety seconds left, it kind of felt like one of those games that the Fever might just steal a little bit like the Atlanta game in game one of the trip. You know, I give New York a lot of credit. They immediately got a bucket, they immediately got to stop, and then a foul and the execution in the final ninety seconds wasn't there. But look, if you don't get that Chicago game on Sunday, I think you're viewing this from a very different prism because you know, you're you're coming off a three game losing streak, which really you haven't had any significant stumbles really since mid jud or so for this team, So it would have probably felt like the first stumble as at least as it relates to a potential three game losing streak, and you're you're all of a sudden a game behind Atlanta and you're just barely holding off New York. I think they'd only be a half game ahead of New York had they lost it. So it was significant, and really I can't ever remember the WNBA like this in terms of this competitive as it relates to the top eight. I mean, Dallas right now is the eight seed, and they could easily be a top three or four team, and frankly work for a lot of the years. So all of these teams that are in the top eight are very very close to each other. They're all very good, they're all very competitive, and so each of these games down the stretch I would argue mean more than at any point in the history of the WNBA, just because I can't remember it ever being this competitive one through eight, and the difference between being, you know, a two seed and a seventh seed is obviously massive. And right now the Fever are in a virtual tie for fifth or for fourth. Excuse me, they're in fifth because they played two more games one to one, lost one on Atlanta, and that right now, you know, the tie breaker is still up in the air on who would have it between the Fever and the Dream, But right now, that's the difference between home court advantage and not. And so these final handful of games down the stretch for both of these teams are going to be absolutely massive. They're going to feel like playoff games. And frankly, these games for the last couple of weeks have felt like playoff games.
Speaker 1: Pat boylan joins us I thought the front court step up of some folks last night was big in that absence of a Leeah Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Mikayla Timpson. What more? First of all, I'll start Eric, can you say about her? This is a player that was a second round draft pick, went mid second round. You know, those players are very rarely starting in year number two, and she wasn't for most of the year. But she brings something that the Fever otherwise don't really have, and there's not a lot of players like her around the league, just in terms of her sheer lengths and disrupt of ability on the defensive end. You know, if you look at wind Shares for that draft class of twenty twenty five, it was loaded at the top. It was Paige Becker's and Dominique Maloga and Sony Citron and Keiki aria Fin and all four of those are going to be perennial All Stars. And then by win Shares, the fifth best player in the twenty twenty five draft has been Mikayla Timpson, who then went thirteen picks later. So that's looking like a fantastic find. By the front office, and when you don't have a Leah Boston, you know, it's a massive hole in the middle that you're just trying to fill. Timpson twelve points, nine rebounds, three assists, some really solid defense. You know, it wasn't a standout game for Mobillings, but I thought she held her own down there and then and then I thought Maiosha Heinz Allen did so as well. And Mercedes Russell played fourteen minutes. And this is a player that wasn't even on the roster a few weeks ago, and she's probably not going to be the game changer type player. But was really jumping out to me watching her is you know, the Fever run a fairly sophisticated and elaborate offense. There's a ton of movement. You have to know where everybody is at all times, and it felt like she's really well ingrained in all of that, just kind of watching her go through her reads. And the Fever offense asked their front court to do a lot in terms of passing and dribble handoffs and screening and all of that, and so I've been really impressed at her ability to pick things up quickly and immerse herself quickly, and hopefully this is the last time you and I are talking about a Leah Boston not playing. She didn't play in both ends of the back to backs in all three this year. There's no more back to backs for the rest of the season, so knock on wood if she stays healthy. This is a conversation that we won't be having anymore, hopefully. But you had to have it on Sunday, and you had to have some players step up. The back court of Caitlyn Clark and Kelsey Mitchell I think most notable, But the front court players that did step up and hold their own against a decent Chicago front court as well, certainly noteworthy, certainly impactful in getting a key late season win Pat.
Speaker 1: Boiler joh and Andy bore on a mother group Polong. You get one more game August the twenty eighth, that's on Friday against Connecticut, and then you've got a significant break for the Fever games. Now, for a team like the Fever that is up tempo, pushing the ball and maybe doesn't rely slowing it down in half court and relying on defense, how impactful do you believe that could be? With that layoff for this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting question. I guess I hadn't really thought about it in that prism. You know, maybe it allows you to get your legs underneath you a little bit. Also, you know, it's a team that's based on timing and reads, so that's you know, you could probably go either direction with that. Caitlin Clark Elia Boston will be busy and certainly staying basketball active, so I think it will be key for the other players that are not a part of Team USA. Of course, Stephanie White has the great honor of being one of the coaches of that team, and the Fever are extremely well represented. But for those players that aren't staying in basketball shape, not losing a beat from a conditioning standpoint, and then the timing thing, you know, you hear about it all the time. Sometimes when teams clinch a week or two the number one spot, the number two spot in the standings, they have a couple of weeks where they don't feel like they played one hundred percent and then take some time off just to make sure everybody's healthy. Then that first playoff game can sometimes be a challenge. Well, I think everybody in the league is going to be facing that once we get into late September, and so who deals with that the best will be a significant storyline. That said, it's not a new storyline for players that have been in the league for a while. The league does this essentially for the Olympics every four years and then oftentimes the World Cup as well. Now, in previous iterations of the World Cup, the league will actually has actually finished its entire season before the World Cup even begins. That's not possible now that they're playing forty four games. So that is a wrinkle into all of this. But look, I think when we're talking in three weeks from now, how quickly the Fever and everybody else around the WNBA can pick back up will be a massive storyline. Teams that take a lot of momentum into the fever break do they still have it coming out of the fever break?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I think the Fever have done an excellent job when they've been faced with similar situations. This year, they had a seven day off period where if you really look at the turning point of the season, you might label that. I remember thinking when the Fever went into the All Star break they were red hot, and thinking Hopefully this All Star break is not coming at a bad time. Six days off, the Fever picked up right where they left off. So they've done a good job with gaps in the calendar this year, but there is no gap quite like the one that's coming up here very very soon. So it's a fascinating twist into all of the storylines. Is what version of these teams are coming back three weeks later? And I think the answer to that question could go a long way and determining not just where the Fever end up at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs, but you know who potentially even the eventual champion is.
Speaker 1: He is the voice of the Fever. He is Pat Boyle and he's on the Andy More Automotive Group, Pilne. This is getting to the point of contract buy out chase, a championship type of year. Season wise timing, we saw where former Fever player Dewana Bonner is now a member in that particular category. Right, No, and she's not coming back here, I'm sure, But what do you think she may land that could have significant impact as we approach the postseason.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. You know, oftentimes buyouts like that don't happen unless there's already some known interests behind the scenes that another team might be interested, which is, of course, is a fine line you always have to tell in terms of tampering and all of that. But it's a good question, you know, where she ends up. You know, off the top of my head, Las Vegas hasn't been afraid to, you know, kind of swing in terms of bringing in players. They did that with Kennedy Carter. You know, is she somebody that could fit in there? It would just be hypothetical at this point. I would guess though, the fact that the buyout happens suggests that there is a team that is wanting to make this move and that there could perhaps be news relatively quickly. You know, the next question becomes how valuable is de Wanna Bonner or any potential contract buyout player at this time of the year. History tells you. In the WNBA and in the NBA, oftentimes these contract buyouts are can be bigger names, but they don't tend to have the massive impact that you might think when they happen. She's a veteran player with a ton of experience, and any team going into the playoff needs that at the same time, you know, the best days of Dewana Bonner were probably you know, two plus years ago, so you know, how she fits in on that end of the floor will be a really interesting question. And again, all of these teams are so close. And look, I don't want to disrespect Minnesota, who's actually kind of checking out on everybody because they've had a spectacular season, But everybody from two through eight is within a few games of each other. And I don't think Minnesota is the type of team that's unbeatable. If you told me they want a championship, of course I wouldn't be shocked. But I think numerous teams, including the Fever, could take down the Links in a longer series. And as we were talking, you know, last week before the Fever games, I think the Fever's more scary playoff series is the first one because that's only best of three. I think this Fever team's going to be really hard to beat if they can get into a best of five or a best of seven situation, which is round two and then the finals, respectively, because beating Caitlin Clark and Kelsey Mitchell and Elijah Boston three or four times is going to be a really, really difficult task. So everybody's looking for any type of slight advantage when things are this close, and it'll certainly be interesting to see a where she ends up and b if she has that significant type of impact considering how close everybody is.
Speaker 3: Pat Caleb here, good to talk to you. I have a question with this because when you were on the Fever Takeover a few weeks ago, you talked about how Stephanie White her teams usually get better as the season goes on, and I think we've seen that play out here over the last couple of weeks. But one thing player wise that I think has improved as well as Mikayla Timpson, just like, what have you seen, especially since she got inserted in the starting lineup, Like last night she had that left handed block which was insane. What have you seen from her that's really helped this team? And do you think it's elevated their ceiling a little bit?
Speaker 2: I do, I absolutely do, Caleb. You know a couple moments, first of all, stand out. She's had two significant stretches late in game this year that you almost could point to her individual play or sequence of plays as the reason the Fever won. They're down by ten with five minutes to go at Phoenix back in mid July. They win that game, and I believe they are down ten when Mikhayla Timpson pins the ball off the backboard and the Fever get a three out of it, And it was the momentum changer in that game. And as you know, I think so many said at the time, including myself, I've never seen anything like that in the WNBA, a pin off the backboard like that. So she has this skill set that just you so rarely see in terms of her length and her athleticism defensively and the problems that it can cause. And then in the Atlanta game in the fourth quarter, she had three consecutive buckets down the stretch in a massive game, one where the Fever trailed almost to the whole way and then found a way to get a win. So when I think of her impact, I think of those two games and if they go to the other direction where the Fever are standing right now. But she just provides something defensively that this team doesn't have in terms of that length. And what impresses me about her defensively is oftentimes you'll see Stephanie White like, you'll see her put her on the point guard or the ball handler up top, and if you're not watching intently, you might think, oh, that's a switch or a mismatch. You know, the weaver didn't get aligne defensively, and so therefore Mikayla Timpson is on a guard. No, it's by design. It's because her length causes so much problems. And she has quick enough foot speed to be able to guard players much smaller than her and then also cause disruptions in the passing lane. And then for all of that, you still need somebody who can be competent on the offensive end. Because if you're a great defender but you're not capable offensively, then this is a team you know that you might not fit on. And while she's probably not going to be the player that ever leads the team in scoring and maybe even take a three point shot, she's very very capable, smooth around the rim, and you know she rarely misses when she's rolling downhill, you know, when she's getting those passes off of Caitlin Clark. And let's give players like Caitlin a lot of credit for her as well, because her ability to find Timpson in those spaces is absolutely massive. But you know, look, if we're talking at the end of the season and you know, the Fever are are celebrating a deep type of playoff run, I don't think it would be too shocking to look back at Mikayla Timpson's insertion into the starting lineup as one of the big impetuses for that. So I do think it raises this team ceiling and again the conversation of the all these teams that are so close to each other are just looking for the tiniest edges. Well, some team might sign to want to bonner and get that, but I think for the Fever, you know, finding this role for Mikayla Timpson could very well provide that as.
Speaker 1: Well to Pat boiling with us also a part of the paces both radio and TV. The Zone. What are your thoughts on that that's going to be a new home for you coming up this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and you know, we're excited about it. And you know, I think Mel Rains and our leadership group have done a good job of detailing some of the differences and the improvements, especially from a streaming perspective, that will have based on last year. You know, if you look at some of the deals that they've got going on right now, you can you can get in on this for you know, I think it's like right around sixty bucks for the whole season. And we're all we're all in an era of transition right now, and everybody's trying to figure out, you know, the best way to do this. I think an important aspect of it is having a great local channel media presence. Now that's not always the easiest thing to have, because we experienced this on the Fever side. WTCHR is a wonderful partner. We're so grateful to have them. They have all these other commitments and at times there's a handful of Fever games every year that Aaron walv because they have so many network commitments and they can't bow out of everything even if they would like to. But the opportunity to have more than a handful of games on local TV, I think is a real win as well. And this is an evolving, you know, evolution of a distribution platform. Forever it was simple, and then cord cutting happened, and now you know, everybody's trying to figure out the best way to do it. But you know, I think from a bottom line perspective, you're going to be able to stream the Pacers. I think you're going to be able to stream them at a higher quality than you could previously. I think you're going to be able to do so at a at a cheaper price point than previously. So I think all of those are wins. And I'm excited not only to see this, but as mentioned, hopefully more than a handful of games available over the air and on local TV as well. And yeah, I mean it's it's going to be a time where, you know, hopefully we're talking about a deep Fever playoff run and because in part of the Fever World Cup that's going to run into hopefully for the Fever right into the pace through season. So you and I've had so many discussions of the Fever starting up while the Pacers were on those playoff runs that they were in the last couple of years. You know, hopefully we're talking about the Indiana Fever and a deep playoff run alongside the Indiana Pacers and the dezonne Era, which will the preseason will tip off in early October and then the regular season back in late October.
Speaker 1: Pat Bolan he is with us. By the way, I brought this up a little bit earlier, I'm assuming you expect, much like I do, for those experts nationally, to completely downplay the level of play that is expected out of this Pacer team this season. Is that what you were thinking too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. And look there, they've never really you know, the Pacers have never really ever been a trendy pick. And then you add in some of the offseason movement and the the out of side out of my nature of what happened last year, I can't say I'm shocked. At the same time, I think the Paces kind of tend to revel in moments like these. I think it's potentially a good thing in terms of okay, you know, put the chip on your shoulder right at the start of the year. And I think at the beginning of the year, the biggest question is going to be where is Tyrese Halliburton. And I think for all intents and purposes, he is about as good as you could ever hope he would be at this point coming off of what he came off of. But still he's going to have, you know, sixteen months since the last time he's played in a competitive basketball game, and there are all sorts of boxes he's going to need to check early on mentally, physically. And then Zubats in the middle a wonderful center. I think an upgrade at center of what you had, you know, even with Miles Turner, who you were a fan of, I was a fan of, But I think he's going to be an upgrade there. But there's certainly a feeling out process and how everything fits together, and the puzzle pieces fit a little bit differently with him in the middle. So yeah, you know, I hope got a deep fever run to talk about. But once the Pacers come around, you know, I think I think it's a really exciting start of the season as well, not just because Haliburton is back, but because they've absolutely got the type of players around him to have another really deep run. That's a conversation for months down the line. So I do think it's important how they start and what the first month looks like. At the same time, you know, if it doesn't look perfect, hopefully there will be some understanding. But yeah, the East, Honestly, I've been talking about this, this crowded WNBA standings, but the East kind of looks similar to me too. You know, I think there's probably six seven eight teams that realistically feel like they could and should win the conference, and I think the Pacers are absolutely in that group. And fortunately for the Pacers, unlike many of these teams, they've done that. They've experienced two deep playoff runs. They've won the Eastern Conference from a playoff perspective. So doing it is one thing from feeling like you could do it, and the Pacers have done that, and I expect no different, albeit you know, maybe some some learning curves as things get started in twenty twenty six, twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Pat, I appreciate it today. Man, We'll we'll do it a little bit later on too, and then we'll be start starting to talk about the Pacers too. It's funny, I want to have to share my stream on his own with my mom not in Green County. I've tried to explain this to her, so we're having to share now.
Speaker 2: Well. I appreciate you helping educate everybody because obviously that is you know, one of the things that we will be looking to do is making sure everybody who got it in a different manner is able to do so as well. So that's very much a boots on the ground operation. You appreciate you doing your part well.
Speaker 1: Her favorite player is, as she calls him, ob tapping so Obi tapping favorite player.
Speaker 2: That's a good choice.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you man.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Jean Pat Boyler, voice of the Fever from the Pacers and Fever Radio and the Pacers Television Network, which is now content as you know, the streaming service Dezone on the Anymore Automotive Group plotline. He's from ESPN on ESPN dot com. Uh. We both attended a matinee Saturday performance regarding the Colts and probably wish we were doing something else most of the time. Stephen Holder joins us. Now, hello, Stephen, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. What a matinee it was? I tell you, I was entertainment.
Speaker 1: I was trying to think of the redeeming quality of that performance, like anywhere, any significant takeaways, because I struggled to find outside of the kicking battle now even closer or if not completely changed overall, I found it really difficult anything compelling to locate after that preseason game two Saturday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's mostly true. I would start by saying, I think a lot of the guys you saw playing on Saturday, because I heard this feedback from a lot of people. Man, our depth is really terrible on this team. And that's a that's a reasonable conclusion because they got their ass kicked right. But I still would say a lot of the guys you saw are not going to be on this roster. That's just putting it bluntly. There's some practice squad guys, some backups, maybe second thirteen, but generally that I think more or less the guys who played on Saturday, you know, half those guys are not going to be on the roster. So you can't make any sweeping generalizations off of that. Now, what I would say is that you're looking for some flashes, looking for guys to flash, no matter who's on the field, and I didn't see enough of that at all. And and I think there were some isolated cases where you were looking for that, you know, like a mom the receivers, you know, could we see some flash there?
Speaker 4: I don't know that we did.
Speaker 5: I look at guys like Jalen touey Molau, He's played a fair amount of snaps in this preseason, and I have a lot of questions. I'm just being very honest, he has not flashed, and I think he needs to flash given who he was playing against, which is nobody.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So though there are some things that you could take away, and then you mentioned the kicking situation. I do think that was productive. That was I would say I flipped my prediction based off of that game. I was leaning toward Blake groopye And if you were there in the offseason and in training camp, you felt pretty strongly Blake Groopy was ahead, and I think Straighter in two games has turned that on its head. So those are I'm just rambling out, but those are two or a few kind of takeaways I would say I had.
Speaker 1: But Steven Holder, ESPN, ESPN dot com, I'm kind enough to join us on the Anymore Automotive Group potline. Uh tuamo? Allow? Is is this a guy now that you think maybe as far as cuts are concerned, maybe in jeopardy here? Or is is he going make to roster regardless?
Speaker 4: No, he'll make it.
Speaker 5: And the reason I say that is twofold number one. He is a second round pick in his second year who only plays sparingly in year one, right, So you know we can we can you can talk yourself into the idea that, well, he didn't play that much and we haven't seen that much of him, and I think that's that's probably a fair assessment.
Speaker 4: But I think the befoar.
Speaker 5: I go on and the other the other thing at play is that they don't have a lot of proven depth at the end spot right now, so so I think he makes it just based on the circumstances, you know what I mean That being said, over the course of this season, if other guys play better than he does, I don't know that his playing time is going to go up significantly, you know. Right now, I think you're looking at a situation where you know, certainly ardent Key and Latu are your your first two guys, and then after that, I think you're looking at Michael Clemens, and then it should be Clemens and tuiy Molau should be your second wave. Right But I think if he doesn't produce, now, guys like George Gumm's come into play, the rookie out of Florida who has definitely flashed more in training camp and in the preseason games. I've seen flash from him. I've not seen it from tuy Molau, and I don't know if the Colts are ready to go there and to start talking about this publicly, I don't expect that.
Speaker 4: But I am thoroughly underwhelmed.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, and I don't mean to pick on the kid, but he should be showing more.
Speaker 1: Where's that former teammate? Ohiouse date Kaden Curry in this equation right now coming off of Saturday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think he's probably not going to get a lot of playing time initially, but what's going to keep him around and I have him making the roster, what's going to keep him around is his flexibility and his ability to go in there and play on the interior on those passing downs, especially because you'd be keeping a lot of edge rushers if you keep Curry, and again I think they will, but if you if you keep him, you have to justify keeping like six edge rushers, which is a lot, right and they can all play the way you justify it. In my opinion is well, hey, he's going to be like our Taekwon Lewis light you know what I'm saying, and that means a guy who technically is a defensive end but really can be an inside outside pass rusher. I like what he did, particularly in Week one of the preseasons as an interior rusher. And if you can get a guy in there that maybe is undersized but can out quick those guards like he's done. Now, you've got a good matchup on your hands, and he's just gonn to prove that he can do it against the big guys, you know, the When I say the big guys, I mean the starting caliber players, right, And so we'll see if he gets a chance to do that against Detroit on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Stephen. I've always said this, especially during the Manning era, which was much different. We know this to be true, but we should also view it with this era of Daniel Jones. You don't hold your breath because you just feel like this there's probably some sort of injury situation waiting to jump on you around the corner. That said, where are we with the backup quarterback? Somebody had asked me earlier today if I feel the need that they need somebody of the Gardner Minshew, somebody you can count on a little bit more, And I just said, listen to me, that's not going to happen. And that's not even a thought. It's going to be you know, either one of these guys to back up one of these guys to back up, if not both these guys on the roster. But where are we with the backup quality quarterback category with this group? Because I know it's ultimately Daniel Jones or nothing right here as far as the success of this team is concerned. But knowing there's probably going to be some injury situation down the road, where are we at the backup position right now? Are further where are you with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I would say I think they'll both be here, Riley Leonard and Anthony Richardson. And personally, I mean I lean very strongly for Anthony Richardson. I think it's Look, it's a different conversation than whether you like him as a starter. I think the people who who are on that train about like, hey, this, get this guy out of here. He shouldn't be our quarterback. Okay, that's fine, But that's a different conversation. We are talking about number two, and at number two, I would say this is this is.
Speaker 4: How I would view this.
Speaker 5: If Daniel Jones has an ankle twist or something and misses a start, God forbid, Okay, but these things happen all the time. If he has a bum ankle and can't play. Just for instance. Now take the other team that you're playing that week. Who are they most worried about playing Anthony Richardson or Riley Leonard. I think with Riley Leonard, you're gonna run a conventional offense. It's doesn't mean that you can't win with that, but I think they they're preparing for a standard fear game plan. Right With Anthony Richardson, you got wrinkles, and if it's a one game situation. In particular, I think if you're the defensive coordinator, it's given you some fits because you got to prepare for a lot of possibilities and you've just got to prepare for the athlete that he is. So I think it's pretty obvious to me. You take the guy with the pedigree, who maybe does some bonehead stuff sometimes, but I mean he can make you right even when the player is wrong. I mean we saw that on Saturday with a joke of an offensive line playing in front of him and from both guys frankly, So that's what I would say.
Speaker 1: So as far as the offensive line is concerned, the starters are edged. Do we know that, But what do you think about the depth, because that was my overwhelming thought on Saturday. Yes, a lot of guys that aren't going to be playing with this team, but it is still very easy and I think appropriate to look at and to be critical of the lack of depth. What about that depth along the offensive line?
Speaker 4: You are correct to be concerned.
Speaker 5: Now, I would say Farmer, they feel good about the draft pick, and they should right, he is going to be the first guard off the bench. They see him as a future starter more than likely, you know, depending on what happens contractually with some of those guys.
Speaker 4: So I think you'll.
Speaker 5: See him be sort of etchedon stone as their first interior offensive lineman off the bench. But you cannot have watched training camp and the preseason and not at some point said to yourself, what the hell is going on with these snaps? The center position is a problem, right, BORDERLINI better play all seventeen or I think the other alternative is you see a waiver claim there with somebody who can snap the freaking ball, because they have had just an atrocious situation with the lack of consistency with the shotgun snaps, and I mean some of it has been on Richardson and to a lesser extent Riley Leonard. But but I would say the overwhelming majority. Particularly lately, Richardson has kind of straightened out his issues that he had earlier in camp games. Man, it has been the snapping has been a problem. It's a real problem, a legitimate issue. So they got to figure that out. Do they make a waiver claim, find somebody on the street. I don't know, but I don't feel good about that. And then at offensive tackle, the depth is not great there either, and in fact it's so much so that I think most of us around the team kind of assume if they have an offensive tackle injury, what they would do is is move Farmer into the starting lineup at guard and put Gunsalves at offensive tackle because he has played it in college and is a competent offensive tackle. I think that's what they would do, which is the right decision, but it just goes to show you they don't have a better option than to move an existing player to offensive tackle. That would be their their fallback option. So I think they're on the lookout for offensive line depth at tackle and center.
Speaker 1: Steven Holder is with us. I kind of bury the lead a little bit here. What are we making of the Chivarius Ward situation is it's a lot to do about nothing and he is going to be good to go in a week number one? Or should there be major concern?
Speaker 4: Major concern? I don't know.
Speaker 5: But what concern is fine? Some concern because ultimately he's not out there now. I would say, like the devil's advocate.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's the right term here.
Speaker 5: But on the other the flip side would be this, if he has any sort of discomfort, I think he's so important to their fortunes that you just tell him, hey, buddy, have a seat, and you let us know when you feel okay, which has nothing to do with whether he can play on opening day. That just means don't put him out there if he's not one hundred percent, because I think he's a vet, he's he's been there a lot, like, don't force it right, don't tempt faith. So I want to believe that is what you are seeing, because if that's the case, then no harm, no foul, and everybody's gonna be fine. But we don't know that to be the case. I would I'll be honest, I don't have enough concrete information about what's going on with him to confidently say that's what you're seeing that Shavarisward's gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I can't say that because I don't know that. So I think until we know more, you know, you just kind of have.
Speaker 4: To keep an open mind. You know, this thing could be one or the other.
Speaker 5: I don't know, and that's troubling because not knowing is problematic because I think he is so important to their fortunes this thing. For it to work, you've got to be solid at corner. And then with Cam Taylor Britt being suspended for week one, that is an added level of concern that you have because you are already I think beyond him. I hate the cornerback depth right now, like I hate it. So I think you got four corners. You got Sauce, Mooney, Ward, Justin Wally, and Cam Taylor Britt.
Speaker 4: I suppose.
Speaker 5: So you've got four corners that I feel good about putting out there on the field. The rest of those guys, if you swapped them all out, I would be fine with it.
Speaker 1: Franklin, which out of that group you think won't be a part of his team? And it's interesting there were a couple of years ago and everybody felt really good about Jalen Jones. That is clearly no longer the case.
Speaker 5: So that's an interesting one because I actually think he has had some flashes even in camp. He's had some bad moments in camp, but they all have to be honest, those backup guys, and I think, you know, people have seen him make a few plays here in the preseason, but the guy is the guy has talent, and he has length, and he has attributes.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: The problem there is is the Colts feel it feels, at least like they're pretty dug dug in on him not being a fit for the scheme that they run.
Speaker 4: And that's that might be true.
Speaker 5: He is definitely he definitely thrived in the zone scheme that thus Bradley ran.
Speaker 4: That's true, and he was drafted for that, so that's fair.
Speaker 5: But I also think at the end of the day, it boils down to are the other guys playing better? And I don't know if that's true, you know, So I don't know if it's enough to flip that equation because they haven't really given this kid the time of day since lou Anna Rum has gotten here. I think it's pretty obvious they've been over backwards to not play him. So, I mean, Makai Blackman has basically done everything he can to get cut asn't so all I can tell you is is that they seem really stuck on Jones, really not being a fit for what they want to do.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think that's a that's going to be a waiver wire, a potential river, a wired target. I think is that that fifth and sixth cornerback. I would look for that to be in play.
Speaker 1: What is so far to you, Steven? The world, the post Zaire Franklin world of Colts linebackers look like to this point.
Speaker 4: It's an adventure.
Speaker 5: It's an adventure because say what you want about Zire Franklin, but at least I knew who the hell the starting linebackers were going to be.
Speaker 4: I don't know that right now.
Speaker 5: And if I'm being honest, I don't know if the Colts know now today. In fact, lou Anarumo said we are going to play a lot of linebackers at least early in the season, which is code for we're just going to be situational, you know. I think they're going to play c J. Allen and situations where he's comfortable. But they've also admitted that or an Aruma admitted that him missing a lot of time here in the preseason, it is problematic. It's not nothing. He's missed a lot of time in the lineup in practice for a guy who's at an important spot and is a rookie. Right, So, I mean it seems right now that in fact, I'm not sure Alan's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be the starter anymore, at least initially.
Speaker 5: And I don't think it's I don't think it's necessarily an indictment of him. I just think it's just the reality is that they haven't had a chance to really get him up to speed because.
Speaker 4: He hasn't had enough time in the lineup.
Speaker 5: So that's an interesting change, and I think that speaks to where they are because I would say, coming out of the draft and an OTAs, they basually plopped him down in the middle of the defense and said you're the guy. And now they've backed off of that. That is pretty startling, I would say. And then I guess beyond that, you know, you have to see I would say a Keen Davis gaither you know, I don't know a lot about this guy. I'm just being honest, but he's at least experienced, and I think his veteran status is giving him a little bit of a benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 4: You've got.
Speaker 5: Carlis is actually coming on Jalen. Carlis Is actually has actually come a long way.
Speaker 4: I was very I guess what's the word. I was very disinvested in Jalen Carli's coming into this.
Speaker 5: But you know, the cream rises to the top, and he has been good to give him, to give him his due here. So I think he's in the mix. You know that he could be in that starting lineup to start the season.
Speaker 1: The Keidan Allen signing that will allow the Coat to to do what who Who's going to lose a gig because of that signing last week?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's one for one.
Speaker 5: It's Lakwan Treadwill for me, they at least based on the way I had it pretted. I had Treadwill as the sixth wide receiver and and if that's the case, then I think you bump him. And and now it's allan so which is very convenient because he wears number thirteen, which which uh which Alan wants, right so that might work out for him.
Speaker 4: So that's the way I see that.
Speaker 5: But there is that that return kicking punt returner position, and that's still sort of influx. I am leaning toward coleman Owen a lot of people in my roster projection excuse Me, which which posted on ESPN dot com today, I got a little grief from people about cutting Deon Burks the seventh round pick, and I really think that's based upon just the lack of consistency I saw from him in training camp. There's no question that that coleman Owen was much more consistent in training camp for me. Now, dude, well what Burks has done in the games outwaigh?
Speaker 4: That I don't know. I mean, he's done, He's flashed a little bit. Is it enough? I don't know.
Speaker 5: But I thought he was very very underwhelming in training camp, which is not which is I'm not you know, crapping on a on the kiddemy. He's a seventh round pick, right, and this was a project right, how is.
Speaker 4: A speedy guy from Oklahoma?
Speaker 5: How's he dropped to the seventh round because he was a very raw prospect. It was very clear to everybody in the draft. I wondered why, and then I saw it in training camp and I was like, well, this guy's just not ready. Every day I would say it. He had chance after chance, he never did it. So we'll see. They want to like him, and we'll see if he's done enough here pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Steven Older of ESPN and ESPN dot Com is on the Andy Morrill out of on the group podline. What's going to be the viewpoint of what we see coming up on Saturday in that final preseason game against Detroit.
Speaker 5: I'm interested to see how Steichen approaches this. I mean, they don't have joint practices this week, so you could you could theoretically talk yourself into playing some starters. I mean, they haven't done anything in preseason games so far. Does that concern me? Does that bother me? Not a lot. You know, they've had three joint practices. They went hard, they did a lot, very competitive. I liked what I saw from them, So I think that matters, you know, a great deal. But I but I think it would be nice maybe to see that offense for a series or two, in the defense for a series or two. I mean, I think there's value in that, you know, But I don't expect Daniel Jones to play. I know he would love to, but I just don't see that happening. I think there's like a zero point one percent chance.
Speaker 4: Of him playing.
Speaker 5: So so that's that's what I envisioned. And and what is going to be interesting. If Jones doesn't play and the starters do, then how do they handle quarterback?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Who who is under center with that starting offensive line? Which is, you know something neither guy has had a chance. Neither of the backup quarterbacks have had a chance to do this preseason. So a couple of interesting things to look at and we'll see how they how they go.
Speaker 1: So, how many of these Colt players are playing in this softball game tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll let you know if I ever get through this traffic and get there. But I don't know who's playing, but I would say I know Alec Pierce eight playing.
Speaker 4: That was made.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Alec Pierce, he went out. I was in touchdown town for the pregame show. He came out and introduced his dad's and uncles band. So I thought, there's zero way he's not participating in week number one. If he's doing that.
Speaker 5: I feel pretty yes, I don't want to say pretty confident, but I feel relatively confident he's going to be fine. I think this could be the week. I think there's a shot. I think there's a shot, and now it's probably gonna be He's probably gonna be very limited. I don't know if he's in shape, certainly not football shape, right, So I don't know what you're gonna get from him when he gets out there. But I do think. Do think he's close. I really do. And I haven't gotten any bad vibes. I saw him the other in the locker room and he's in very very good spirits. The other thing I would say, and I've been repeating this for whatever it's worth, we were told by Alec four to six months this week. In fact, roughly this week later this week is the five month mark. So he's well within the timeline, you know. And I think it's nervous. It makes people nervous because the season is upcoming. That is fine, I get that, But if you're talking about it from the perspective of like, what's there a setback? Is he behind schedule? That is not true. That is one thousand percent not true. So he's on schedule. The only question is is he going to make it back in time? And it does appear he's closer, so I think you can feel relatively good about it. But until he's out there, until we see how he plays and performs in practice at least, then you don't necessarily have complete peace of mind.
Speaker 4: So that's the other piece of that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go out there later off tonight and watched Daniel Jones debut and softball right, he's gonna be running around everywhere, correct.
Speaker 4: You know I played in that. You remember when Robert Mathis used to do one of these.
Speaker 1: I did, Yeah, I did. I was out there once too.
Speaker 5: Yes, So Robert, you know, big fan of mine, as you can imagine, depending on the day, he hated my guts And I actually went up to hit one time and he was pitching and he had a smile from air to air, and I was like, he's definitely gonna take my head off, but he didn't, and I made contact and I had a liner right too. Do you remember Chester Rogers wide receiver. I had a liner to Chester Rogers and he snagged the damn thing like it was nothing.
Speaker 4: I was like, hey man, what the hell? I was getting ready? To run the bases, but probably for the better, so it worked out art.
Speaker 1: So here here's one. I was there and I was not in the game at the time, and I took my son, who was much younger Blake with me, and he was I think probably I can't remember, six or seven or something. And there was a ball that was hit to shortstop and thrown and it went over the head of the first basement and Andrew luck caught it right before it went into the dugout to hit my kid.
Speaker 4: That's great, That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I always tell Blake it had been better off if that thing would have hit you. We should just let it hit you, got right through you and hit you.
Speaker 5: So yeah, taking money out of your pocket.
Speaker 1: Hell of a moment right there, man. It was Hey, safe travels hopefully expeditiously getting to that event at Victory Field, and we'll catch it next week and hopefully we got a little bit more entertaining performance to watch against the Lions on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Let's hope.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, pal, Thank you be careful, Okay. Steven Holder of ESPN on espn dot com