Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to drop Light. We're in Westfield and it is over the second of two practices with the Falcons and the Colts preseason Game two is coming up on Saturday. If you're watching on the stream right now, he can wave at you and he his rides right behind him right here, the Forest Buckner the Colts is with us. How you doing, man, doing well?
Speaker 2: Doing well? Appreciate you guys for you.
Speaker 1: Look like you feel I know you just had practice and you're tired as hell, but you look like you feel good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I look like you're in good nut shape. You're always in good shape like everything.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm feeling really good, you know, being able to especially these past two practices, you know, is the most of ours I've got, you know, all camp and everything we've been ramping up to it, and yeah, I've been feeling really good, you know, being getting back in the mix of things, and uh, it's just wanted to be back out there with the guys.
Speaker 1: How dark were those times when you really didn't know you were going to be able to do this again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know I was.
Speaker 3: It was I definitely got to a pretty dark place, but I you know, I was very lucky to have people in my corner like my wife, you know, to kind of, you know, help drag me out of that hole a little bit, you know what I mean. You know, especially the first month after surgery, you know what I'm saying, not being able to do anything, just pretty much be on bed rest for the for most of part. It was a struggle. It was a struggle for sure early on. But you know, having somebody like my wife and a lot of other loved ones around me, and obviously you know, having my kids around and a lot of prayer. I mean, it's it helped me get through those times. And I'm just blessed to be here today.
Speaker 1: Was there a signature moment when you knew, you know what I am coming back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it was really you know, I had a great conversation with my wife. I mean, you know, she she just you know, she really just made me realize. She was like, you know what, you never quit anything in your entire life, and you're not going to start now. She was just like, you know, we're gonna take it one day at a time, recovery, rehab, and just take it one day at a time, and you know what, that's what I did, and and that's you know, that's what really helped me.
Speaker 1: Well, there are so many things that I think psychologically can work against you because you've done all this, you've accomplished all this, you feel set, and you got a family, spend.
Speaker 2: More time with them.
Speaker 1: But ultimately, man, it's that juice of competition that has to pull you back in.
Speaker 2: Sure one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know it's I'm very happy, you know, it's that I made it through that time because you know, being out here, being back on the field competing, Uh, is no other place like it.
Speaker 1: All right, DeForest Bucker is with us. What do you think about the way the defense is coming together?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean I feel like, uh, you know, we put together a solid couple of days. I mean, obviously there's things we can still clean up, you know, so a bunch of time before the season starts, but I like, well, like what I'm saying so far, you know, we just got to you know, some minor things we got to clean up in little things like that, but continue to communicate, especially with all the different faces in there in the mix, and I feel like we can be something special.
Speaker 1: So your teammates, especially though coming off the edge like lay out to lat too. What have you seen from him from your angle where you've seen improvement and maybe a little bit of an upgrade in results coming off the edge and more of a consistent pass rush this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I would say the confidence, you know what I mean in his rushing abilities, you know, each and every day, he just got to continue to, you know, build that confidence and build off of what he did last year. And I feel like he'll be able to be set up for a great year.
Speaker 1: So I know him very well because he's from here, Kate and Curry, I don't know how well you know him obviously a teammate. Now what have you seen from the rookie from Ohio State so far?
Speaker 3: Now, I mean he's like a Swiss army knife, you know what I mean. You can put him wherever, you know, whatever you need, he'll deal, you know what I'm saying. He can be inside outside and uh, I mean he has that natural pastorsh ability, you know, if you know he goes from one move to another, he's he's uh, he's really good at what he does, you know, with his craft, and you could tell he's been he's been working on it, you know, rushing inside and outside to have that ability, and you know he's he's a technician, so it's it's been fun to watch him.
Speaker 1: So knowing you have at the back end, whether it's Mooney or Sauce, Gardener or whomever. How how nice is that to know that you have this incredible playmaking ability in the back end of this defense.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it definitely brings a lot of confidence to the front, you know what I mean. And you know, we know we you know we can get there. You know, we're having guys like Mooney and Sauce and Wally and uh and uh Cam back there, you know, all those guys back there. I mean, it's it's definitely some confidence, you know, go annoying you you you have a little time to rush.
Speaker 1: It is buying him the one he's to figuring everything out for you on defense making calls in such right. Yeah, So how different is that for it? Because I know the guy that used to do that is now in Green Bay. How is that for you with him taking over? No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I feel like it's been good.
Speaker 3: You know, Uh Cam's been doing a really good job with taking over that spot, you know, owning it and everything, and you know, getting the calls, you know, relate to everybody, and I feel like it's been it's been good so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Deforcet Buckner is with us. What is this rank as far as this defense in this group compared to defense as you've been a part of either here or in frist Go in the past.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, I mean it's it's up there, you know what I'm saying. I feel like it's one of the top defenses, especially on paper, you know what I mean. You know, but on paper doesn't mean anything. It's out there, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Improve it.
Speaker 3: So we're definitely up there, you know, on the defense that I've been on in the past, and you know we've got to go out there and prove it.
Speaker 1: Lou Anroumo and what he asked for you? What what is on the top of that list? What he ask for you? What is your job description on top of the list each and every week, each and every game for me personally?
Speaker 2: Yeah, dominating my one once?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because you do you allow other people to take advantage then when you do that too, So that's job number one. Now that's a tough that's a difficult gig.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, no, yeah, I mean, uh but you know it's you know, it's what's required for me, and you know I wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So you had a summertime where you're rehabbing a neck and and your back. Did you do anything that was was fun at all besides just getting back to it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, took my kids to Disneyland. Well heck, yeah, he hits a heck of a time right there. Did a bunch of golfing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Do you get back to Hawaii very often?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I try to every year when when when I can, you know, to take my family out there. This this year during the summer, wasn't really able to you know, get out there, just because we had so much going on, you know, with with the with the kids and everything throughout the summer. So I'm hoping to get others.
Speaker 1: How much of how much of your family still and pretty much all of the Yeah, my mom's side. That where you see yourself one of these days getting back there.
Speaker 2: Ye. Visiting a lot, yeah, visiting a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but it seems like a hell of a place to grow up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, right there, all right.
Speaker 1: I gotta ask you this. The Oregon Ducks, out of the Big ten, I believe preseason rank second, had a little difficulty with the Indiana Hoosiers, the defending national champions a couple of times a year ago in Eugene and in the Peace Toll. What about the Ducks and the season coming up here? You feel it?
Speaker 3: I''m filling I feel it every year. I'm optimistic every year. So you know what I mean, I'm gonna be. I got a couple of you know, I got I got a couple of guys on my side.
Speaker 1: I know here.
Speaker 3: I'm not the lone duck anymore out here, So you know what I mean, We're gonna be.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be wrapping a lot of brown.
Speaker 1: When you were in Eugene, what if I would have told you that a handful of years down the road, the Indiana Hoosiers are gonna win the national title? What were you have told me?
Speaker 2: I would have laughed, Yeah, when I was back in school, Yeah, it is. It is.
Speaker 3: It's awesome though, to see that the way that program was turned around and everything, and it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 1: How would have you been in the n I L R As a collegiate player. Have you ever thought about that had the NIL era been a part of your era, how had that been for you or the transfer portal? Would you have stayed or would you have bounced around?
Speaker 2: I think like that. I mean I think I would have stayed, to be honest, I mean that's just that's just that's just kind of who I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you get one place and you stay, and yeah, I kind of wonder that's tested in nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely tested for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean I couldn't imagine having the portal and the NIL back in my day.
Speaker 1: It to me there is something to say about legacy though, Yeah, for sure. And so many of these guys end up losing their legacy, you know.
Speaker 3: That's been one of our main points and talking about the whole, the whole you know deal. I mean, like where do they go back to you know, when they want to go back and visit you know as a lum. Yeah, what school do you go to? And if you've been to three different schools? You know what I'm saying, Like what school's going to claim you is? You know what I'm saying, Like that's hard?
Speaker 1: No, Well I go back to college in the nineties and it's like stratospherically different. But do you imagine how different it is even for you going back? Not as far as I go right now, it's completely different from when you were there. But I would agree with you on that. I just don't know if a lot of people would be on the same page monetarily over legacy. But we see that on a high school level all the time too. It just seems like a legacy is becoming less important. But for guys like us, I think it's understandable right there. What can this team do this season? Divorced?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we can. Honestly, we can definitely. How do I put it? Exceed expectations? Yes?
Speaker 1: Do you read the expectations or look or watch what people view you as record wise this year? I mean, you knowivated by that or you too?
Speaker 2: Ved know?
Speaker 3: I definitely get motivated by it, you know what I mean? I mean I'd be lying if I said I didn't see it, you know what I'm saying. And with the guys that we have on this team and the trust that we have in one another, leaf we having one another, I mean that's how I feel.
Speaker 1: Is there something that we don't know about this group that that you see, because you've been around this game long enough as a teammate, about this group that maybe we don't see from the outside looking in.
Speaker 3: No, I just feel like everybody's hungry, you know what I mean, just just hungry to get.
Speaker 2: Out there and win.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean just the way we started last year obviously and the world we were on, and then obviously the way it ended. I mean, you know, it is a bad taste in our mouth, and I just feel like the guys are are are hungry this year.
Speaker 1: The words of your owner Carly ERSA. Gordon saying, this is a you must have, must win type of season that resonate to you as well.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hungry is a good way to put it though, because it has been a while. Hey, congratulations on be it back, getting back from that dark spot. Appreciate one of the bright spots always right here is this guy. Go ahead and wave to the folks out there watching it. DeForest Buckner of the Colts joining us here live and drop live. Thanks man, Thank you, stay healthy, pal. We appreciate you. That is DeForest Buckner, and thank you for very much for joining me. And uh we'll see you again, sum Pal. Thank you. The Forest Buckner right there, Mike Chappell's gonna join us. You want to go early today, do you. I'll tell you what. Let's take a break. We'll get Mike coming up on the other side as well. Caleb, we can do that drop light. Westfield Grand Park is our location. The Forest Buckner will put that on a podcast at one oh seven five. The fan dot Com