Speaker 1: And where we go here?
Speaker 2: Anything you have a chance against us, mister cowboy gay mood?
Speaker 3: What you like to do? Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Play chess school.
Speaker 4: When there's play chess.
Speaker 5: They give off that. Jonathan Taylor Chuck cunning its way cooking the goal line. He's in there, puts down and dye. Why Jonathan Taylor whailer.
Speaker 3: Finds here's haliber into the front board, mishandled it.
Speaker 5: Mcgins ay shot. He forfeits it.
Speaker 6: John, I have never been bedroom to be on the air with you here in Indianapolis, a place where so many of my dreams have come true.
Speaker 5: The ride with jmv on ninety three five and one oh seven five, the fan Alright, he's twenty four years old.
Speaker 6: It was necessary, and you wonder if he stays healthy, what he can do. Is it gonna be compromle numbers to that of Michael Pittman junior to where you felt compelled. A lot of you suggested, Hey, it's okay if this guy leaves, it's okay. If we trade him, it's okay if he ends up someplace else, because he's not impactful. Thirty four years of age, Keenan Allen, I look at it this way.
Speaker 5: It was a have to.
Speaker 6: An absolute something that without any other knowledge, without knowing what.
Speaker 5: Is going to be the future.
Speaker 6: You sit here right now and you understand fully that they had to get somebody.
Speaker 5: So I view it this way. Keenan Allen.
Speaker 6: By the way, nothing official as of yet, but widely reported throughout the course of the morning and then mid day and in the afternoon that he is going to be a member of the Colts again. Reunited him with Shane Steichen so they can bounce offensive philosophies off of one another. The guy Keenan Allen, has been really good. He has been solid, he has been consistent. Holy hell, that's exactly what you would want to be looking for around here. The only thing that I can look to as problematic is you are forced to do this because you're all a lot of options, no other options, and because you need it. It's not one of those situations where you are playing from in front and you measure this out as you know, because you've got so much you can count on, you can go ahead and do something like this. If it works, great, If it doesn't, hell, what ever, Well, in this case, you have to have a threat. Keenan Allen has to be a threat, if for nothing else. Michael Pittman Jr. Has explained over and over again, was a guy that opposing defenses and coordinators and coaches would have to like write, Okay, well, we got to account for this guy.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: He may not be Jerry Rice anytime soon, but we have to account for him. And that's what you get with Keenan Allen. I will say this you are going to get, hopefully, and we've been down the path to where and everybody brings up Andre Johnson. We've been down this path before where it hasn't worked out. The only drawback to this is the fact that it is a have to. It's not like you're working ahead. Your reactionary. I hate it when your teams are reactionary because they have to. I want teams dictating terms. That's what I love about basketball. In the case of the Pacers and the Fever by the way which play later off tonight, I love it when both dictate the terms. I mean, you could tell and I will say this, the Colts offensively the first eight weeks or so of the season, they did dictate the terms. There's nothing wrong with that. That's exactly what I look for. That's what you should look for. We're gonna go out and we're gonna play this style, We're gonna play this brand, and it's gonna be your ass that has to match up with it. We're I worry about matching up with you.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 5: I hate to hear or I would hate to hear.
Speaker 6: My team when the play by play man or the color analyst says, well, you can see right now that Team X is matching up with Team Y. Yeah, I don't like that. I like it when they're matching up with it. You're doing something that they have to catch up with. And one of my favorite phrases of all time, and I'm going to go ahead and take full credit for it, dictating terms. You are dictating the terms, and the Colts offense did that a variety of times before Daniel Jones was injured and then was injured and done for the season, and then basically the terms and other teams for that matter, dictated them.
Speaker 5: You had to have this.
Speaker 6: So the only drawback, and again it is it is a flaw with this team that you're really not going to get passed or you're not going to iron out until you actually see them play, and that is making up, making up for what you feel is necessary.
Speaker 5: This is still not a team that has a lot of.
Speaker 6: For example, built in for me, for you, for others, believe things are going to be okay.
Speaker 5: There's so much proven.
Speaker 6: Then you could say, well, you know, that's around the NFL, that's in the NBA, that's in the WNBA, that's in Major League Baseball. You're always out there to prove it. But there are different variations of that too. There are teams you look around the NFL landscape, for example, like I'll give you a great example, the LA Rams like you're hanging on every word of Aaron Donnell. He's working out and he's doing all these drills and you're looking great.
Speaker 5: If he comes back, hey all right.
Speaker 6: If he doesn't, who gives a crap whatever, Because you feel good about the rest of your team, You feel good about those on either side of the football.
Speaker 5: The Colts had to have somebody.
Speaker 6: You jump in here, and that's somebody, and Keenan Allen made the most sense. The Coats used to be able to play from that particular angle. It's just been a while since they have. But it was a must have. It was a must recognize and that's exactly what they did. Keenan Allen thirty four years of age. How legit of an option do you believe he can be? I believe the average was in the neighborhood of eighty six catches over the past five years and a year ago eighty one with the chargers. So the dude falls out of bed catching the ball. But Kenny maintain that pace here. I saw my chapel sit this out a little bit earlier. The most catches by a wide receiver is thirty four years of age or older. Caleb Zuber is in the next room trying to figure out who I sound like today? Do I sound better? Do I sound worse in the first five and a half minutes? Do I sound better or worse than yesterday? Believe me, if it's critical, I can take it.
Speaker 5: It's okay.
Speaker 4: No, you sound about the same. So we might need to get that Jason Hammer Doctor's order.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I do a little bit of that hour.
Speaker 6: I had Hammers out, so I had to go by myself. Yeah, doctor Hammer is.
Speaker 4: Out, Doctor Hamer, What do.
Speaker 5: You think Nigel was so hell? I had to go do it myself.
Speaker 4: What do you think doctor Hammer? Like, what what does he oversee?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what that is stars with the G sometimes hard to pronounce in southern Indiana they say gene instead of guy.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's probably where he is.
Speaker 6: So give me see if you can name any of the one, two, three, four, five most catches by wide receivers thirty four years of age or older.
Speaker 4: Is this in the last certain amount of years?
Speaker 6: This well, it goes all the way back to nineteen ninety five. And this is again credit Mike Chapel for this that I saw on the social media platform X a little bit earlier today.
Speaker 4: Okay, Jerry Rice has gotta be.
Speaker 5: One of them. Boom, Jerry Rice is on there. One oweight um.
Speaker 6: Um. It was just in the Hall of Fame. Just inducted into the Hall of Fame this past weekend.
Speaker 5: There was a ball boy back in the day.
Speaker 6: Became a pass fierce pass catcher who.
Speaker 5: Moe and Curly would have been.
Speaker 6: He makes the trio Larry Larry fitzger Oh yeah, okay, Larry Fitz Jerry Rice right a former. Once upon a time, his late coach Buddy Ryan said, well, all he does is catch touchdown passes.
Speaker 4: So he's a Philadelphia Eagle.
Speaker 6: Former most probably most notably making his mark with the Vikings.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, on the other side of Randy Moss.
Speaker 4: Oh Chris Carter.
Speaker 5: Chris Carter, And this is true too.
Speaker 6: In nineteen eighty seven, I think it was eighty six or eighty seven, caught a touchdown pass for Ohio State from Jim Carsondos, the quarterback.
Speaker 5: I was in the end.
Speaker 6: Zone at the time at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington. Caught a touchdown pass. And that was back when they had a chain link fence that separated the crowd in the end zone from the end zone and the players itself. He did a and I'm assuming it was eighty six or eighty seven because this would have been the reason why he did it, the peewee Herman dance. After he caught the touchdown pass from Jim Carsados and spiked it and it came right to me doing wow, and I get it. You had to give it back. Came right to me. He did the pewee Herman dance, and he did that, and Spike did it.
Speaker 5: He came right to me.
Speaker 6: Jim Casado's to Chris Carter. And then you have two former Colts also in this category, and again credit Mike Chappell for that information.
Speaker 5: One is in the Hall of Fame, the other everybody believes should be on the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: It's actually coaching up the group of wide receivers Reggie wayns one and Marvin Harrison. Yeah, so that's your group right there.
Speaker 5: Seriously, though, you don't have to have that level.
Speaker 6: That'd be great if Keenan Allen supplied that level, but you had to have somebody else. You had to have somebody else that was fall back, somebody else that wasn't DJ Montgomery, somebody else that wasn't you know, Chase Claypool or or Josh Reynolds or any of these dudes that they brought in. You gotta have somebody else. So somebody else that is a well he's on this team because he made it on special teams.
Speaker 5: Well, my ass was special teams.
Speaker 6: You got to worry about somebody being a thread out there that you can scheme, you can coach up against and have a plan because he is good enough that you have this person in mind. Again, I'm not suggesting he's going to be Jerry Rice, but you had to have that. And the best part about it is it does fit, the shoe does fit. It's like weird with Andre Johnson. He kind of wondered if the shoe fit. And there's really no reason as to why I'm making the comparison here, but a lot of you have suggested, well.
Speaker 5: Remember when they did that. Well, I've remember when they've.
Speaker 6: Done a lot of things. But the only compelling reason as to why I would look at this at all negatively. And again, most of it is positive because it was a have to, But the only negative is because it's a haf to because it's not like the rams. You go, well, this guy can play or come back, or unretire or stay retired or do whatever. This guy wants to continue to run drills and be shown in videos. If he comes back, that's great, But if he doesn't, that's also great.
Speaker 5: That's I think what you want.
Speaker 6: Those are the situations where you want to be making decisions like this from you know, not decisions as they made late in the season to say, well, this guy hadn't played in four years and he's a grandpa. Let's go ahead and pull him off the couch and then he's going to be our starting quarterback. Yeah, that's not playing with an advantage. But you're doing something that you absolutely positively had to do, no doubt. Elvis says, fire Caleb for not figuring out Larry. No, that was tough, though he don't know anything about the three stages. I'm I agree, that's even out of my rage demographic kinda.
Speaker 4: I deserve to be fired for that.
Speaker 6: There used to be a place now and there still are maybe a handful, and mostly you can find them in gas stations. Do you ever go to Noble Romans pizza place? No, Noble Romans, that's not part of your don't like. We grew up a lot of us out there, and I think the first one was down in Bloomington off of Third Street. But Noble Romans, and there may still be one. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, over off of tenth Street. Tenth Street over by Ben Davis West Side. But a dine in Noble Romans. You would go in there, true story, and you would watch them throw the dough up, and you know, they'd have a little step and you can watch in the window and they're making you know, the pizza dough and all that. But they would always have on a loop the Three Stooges show one, and you'd go in there and you'd order whatever your Sicilian pizza was or whatever Noble Romans pizza was, and you would have a constant loop of the Three Stooges. Yeah, there were Larry Mo and Curly, but you also had Shimp that was sometimes in there, and then the really bad ones had Joe. Joe looked like he was probably doing your taxes back in nineteen thirty seven. Yeah, you had like three different ones that played or had the substitute for Curly back in the day.
Speaker 4: So why was that the show that they I have no idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's weird. I don't know. It was just kind of the thing back back in the eighties. It was. It was weird, so kind of the thing.
Speaker 6: It's funny back when I started going to back, you know, with the fake and then started really going to the bars. In those situations, they would put in on different televisions I'm assuming at the time have different VCRs where you would plug in great eighties movies and it would roll around the bar. It'd be a different eighties movie, a different you know, fun loving.
Speaker 5: Movie of some sort. Everywhere.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and now obviously all this is piped in you can do whatever you want a.
Speaker 5: Lot different.
Speaker 6: Meantime of the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. You guys ask for it every single year, and we deliver from both the Colts Radio network and of course the preseason television broadcast. It's the former NFL coach and most notably, our good friend Rick Venturi joins us.
Speaker 5: Hello, Rick, how are you?
Speaker 3: What do you say? Good friend? How you doing? You are the busiest man in show business, I'll tell you that and the best. So good to be on with you. Man.
Speaker 6: Well, people ask me wherever I go. You got to get Rick on? When's Rick coming on? What's the story on?
Speaker 5: Rick?
Speaker 6: And you know what, We've decided to put you on here today with a good one in mind. Let's say, for example, yesterday we would have this news today had you been on with me.
Speaker 5: But today we could implement.
Speaker 6: A little dialogue regarding Keenan Allen, the veteran thirty four year old wide receiver with the Colts allegen reportedly being signed today. What does he bring to the table, at least from your angle for this Colts offense moving forward this season?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know, I think we all kind of felt this was an inevitability that it was just a matter of when it was really going to happen. I think he's a really good fit for two reasons, I think, and I'll get into it here when I get into the evaluation, but I think that he fits and he kind of fills the bill for what for the things that Pittman did. He they're not exactly the same, but they function in very much the same way. You know, he's he's got a back relationship with Steichens, so he's going to be an immediate fit and he'll be up to speed in no time. I don't think there's any question about that. What he brings to you, First of all, he brings reputation, and he's a big body. Received reputation means a lot, believe it or not, because even when you're slipping a little, and even when you're up in age, teams tend to respect you, tend to commit people to you, and tend to play you like you did as a rookie. Ted Marchibrod he used to say, if you get a reputation in the NFL to be an early riser, damn, you can sleep till noon. And there's there's something to that, and so I think he brings kind of a respect to your offense and a respect to the position. You know, when you when you really look at him, you know, he's, like I said, big body. He's always been a big, high, high volume catcher. You know, he's got you know, a way all over a thousand catches in the league, and he's got seventy touchdowns. So he's been really effective around the around the red zone. He's not a fast guy, you know. He does it more with size, range and smarts. Okay, very much like Mike. Mike wasn't a Mike wasn't a real you know, real fast guy either. He you know, he's never been fast, so it's really not a big big factor. He's been good in situations where size and experience matter more than speed. Been really good on third down, particularly on those third and money downs that four to seven, you know, which is kind of fifty to fifty who has the advantage. He's been good in those situations. Been really good in the red zone again, those areas where speed and twitch aren't really that important, where you're looking for for the size in the in the big body range. Again, he's going to catch a lot of balls, not going to have not going to have a lot of yak or. He's not a creative guy again, very much like Mike. Mike, you know, caught a bunch of volume and wasn't in the top one hundred in terms of yards per catch. I mean, people don't realize that, but he doesn't. He's not gonna he's not going to stretch the feel. But even at thirty four, he's gonna give us, I think situational play that you need opposite Pierce. I do think we still have to mix doing in there on the outside because I think we need to be able to stretch the field away from Pierce and not to say how important Pierce is. My goodness, we got to have him back because if you don't have him back, then they're gonna sit on you. They're gonna sit on War and they're gonna sit on Allen, and they'll sit on Jonathan Taylor. So you know, I'll be really happy when I see him. I know the reports are good, but I'll be happy when I see him working out.
Speaker 5: With my own eyes.
Speaker 6: Well is Ray Venturi of course from the preseason TV and with us on the Colt pre game huddle and on the Postgame Show now too, which is absolutely incredible stuff. He joins us on the Eddy Moore Automotive Group potline.
Speaker 5: I mentioned this this way.
Speaker 6: There's no negativity surrounding the signing of Keenan Allen at all.
Speaker 5: The only thing that I.
Speaker 6: Can view is I would rather, and I think everybody would rather the Colts one of these days again be like the Rams. I'll give you a great example, like Aaron Donald. This guy can jack around, I can retire, I can come back. I'm working out, I can come back, And it really doesn't make any difference to them. They'll be better with them, I'm sure, but they'll be just fine without him. But this was a have to situation for the Colts and a position where you would rather not find yourself in if you were them, right.
Speaker 3: There's no question about that. I mean, and you know it isn't that, you know, it isn't the dueling and Akina haven't you know, haven't done a decent job. I mean, they've they've been solid, they haven't you know, they haven't done anything to just absolutely disappoint. But you know, when you really look at it, most of Jones's completions in training camp really have been inside out. I mean they've really been inside out. They've been to Warren, they've been to Downs, a lot of throws to the backs, very very little production on the outside. And of course, you know, without Pierce, you've lost your deep threat, you know, and then you've lost your really number two outside and so yeah, to put it mildly, you know, it can only make us better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Rick Venturia with us, Daniel Jones. So there is so much that has been mentioned about the progress and being in a position that not a lot of people felt other than Daniel Jones, I guess and the Colts moving forward here to be ready for the start of the season. But really, the proof is going to be when guys are really coming after you with a reason and a focus. How do you feel about that? For example, let's fast forward to week number one. Do you feel that everything is going to be back to what we witness basically through the first eight weeks of the season. But are you still kind of sitting back and just waiting to see how he responds when things do get real in week one?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, I would say that he is the you know, and this is with my own eyes, I would say that he has been the most encouraging part of this first three weeks in training camp, without question, because if you didn't know he ever had an injury, okay, you wouldn't know it by watching him out there today. I mean, you know, his throwing is as good as it's ever been. I would say, even better than it was a year ago, more accurate, more confident, and you know he hasn't he hasn't lost much moving. I mean, Shane runs those bootlegs all day. He does that all day. He's had two or three occasions where he's had to add lib and get out of the pocket, and you know he's busted out of there, and I mean he's very close. I don't know if he's exactly where he was, but there's not much of a drop off when you watch these practices. Now, obviously you made it. You're making a good point, John. He you know these are measured. Practices are measured. You kind of are always a little bit under control. And so we won't the only caveat right now. He looks good, he's very encouraging to me. I'm ready to go with him, but we will not know. We will not know. Just like Buckner, you don't know until the first flying. You know, you get jacked up a little bit, you get compressed in there sometimes a big hit where you're stretching, so that that's still to be determined. We won't know till the thirteenth.
Speaker 6: Would you expect him to be utilized because it looked as if that they found something before he was compromised with injury between he and Shaneestyke, and they had found something that clearly he had not had.
Speaker 5: Over the course of his career with the Giants.
Speaker 6: Maybe there was a point in time, a couple of moments when he had something, but for the most part he did not. Did they find something and would you expect some similarities to the high volume of offense we saw with him to start the season basically the first eight weeks of the season this year, compared to a lot of people suggesting, well maybe this was a flash in the pan. Is this something between coach and quarterback that you believe actually will work again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're definitely symbiotic. I mean, they definitely on the same page. He's very cerebral, you know, Stiching demands that both pre snap post snap. He demands you getting out of bad place. Into good plays, making decisions, and they're on the same page. I mean they're on the same wavelength every bit. From a mental standpoint, I think the other thing that Shane did a good job with him is moving him, not predetermined runs or or even calls that are runs to be runs. Where where he did a good job with him is moving that pocket, moving it, moving him around, getting him outside where he's got good vision, where you can get that ball off quick, get a lot of easy completions into the flat on those bootlegs and those crossing patterns. And what he what he was able to do constantly is getting him off to a good start. And there isn't a quarterback alive that doesn't thrive and gain momentum by what you do early. So I think that's there. He's thrown extremely well out of the pocket because our receiver core is not where, you know, where it really needs to be. There's not a lot of separation on the outside, so he's done a lot of tight window throwing inside. You know, they figured every which way to get the ball to warn, which they should, you know, downs in possession in the slot, so you know, I would say that you know, you have every reason to believe that they should get off to a good start and he should be fine. I would say this you and I've said this will be the second time I say it. In order for them to function at the speed and at the level of it they did early last year, Pierce has to be there. Pierce has to be there. He is a huge part of the overall picture. If you don't stretch the field with speed and the ability to get deep and get on top of people, and we all know Pierce has led the league the last two years and yards per catch, But if you don't have that, you will have what you have in the last seven weeks of the season when the defense collapsed. Jt went from the eighth tenth game of the season where he led the league in rushing by two hundred yards, let it in scoring, did not gain one hundred yards in the last seven and it was no fault of his own. It's just that when the defense do not respect you wide and deep and you can't push the ball down there, then they're gonna squash. They're gonna play nine guys inside the numbers, and they're gonna stop both Warren and Taylor because the same defenses stop both of those guys. The guys you got to be able to get to the ball to So I'm putting the caveat as far as the overall start, Pierce better be there and be there full killed.
Speaker 6: Are you confident that he will be in week number one or are you a bit skeptical about that?
Speaker 3: You know what, I just see what I see today. When he's out there, I'll be really thrilled. I haven't seen him out there yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, That's how a lot of people feel right there.
Speaker 6: It's just like Greg and I were talking about this a little bit earlier, the Keenan Allen was inevitable and I don't think that was impactful regarding their thought at all regarding Alec Pierce. That was just something they made that move today just because regardless, you needed to make that move.
Speaker 3: Oh, I believe that totally. I like I said, I said that, I use the same term. I thought there was an inevitability to Alan. I don't think there's any question about it. And you know, one of the main reasons on that is the familiarity with stychen coaches are like that they want when they bring somebody in, they want want somebody that's in their comfort zone. They want somebody that they believe in know how to use. And you know that's why I said that was a good fit. Now it's even more important. I mean, it's even more important, although it doesn't solve the issue I talked about because he Alan doesn't stretch the field. You got to remember, now, Allen is a possession receiver. Okay, he's not. He's not a guy that stretches the field. And really, other than Doling, we don't have anybody that does that except except Alan.
Speaker 6: Rick Van Jerry's on the anymore automatic group potline. You mentioned comfort zone, and you and I kind of discussed this. You just, oh, by the way, mentioned it on the coach pregame huddle on Thursday Anthony Richardson Senior before that New England game.
Speaker 5: You know, at some.
Speaker 6: Point you kind of wonder why he wouldn't be utilized in kind of a gadgetary Taysom Hill type of format. And I think we both understand the reason why because this is with the head coach. But is that something you still question, especially when he shows signs as he did on Thursday in that preseason game number one of hit or miss being able to add a little bit of something that otherwise you would not get simply because you don't try to utilize him in that capacity.
Speaker 3: I'll never understand it, be honest with you. If you're asking me personally, I'll never understand it. I mean, I think I said the most encouraging thing in training camp has been Danny Jones. The most encouraging thing on last Thursday night was AAR five. There isn't any question about it. After the first miss layup, you know, the ball kareemed off the guy's hands on interception. I'll put it on him better ball security, obviously, but he hit ten of eleven. It is about the best I've ever seen him. Once he got going, once he settled down, it was about the best I've ever seen him with points in the pocket. I mean he read it. He stood in there and he was not like he was protected that well. He compact delivery was accurate, the ball spunk coming out of there, I mean, he was on it in that two minute drill, and you know, and he flashed the runs. I mean, we know when he comes around in that sweep, he looks like a tailback. He ran that zone read he was out the gate so fast, your head will swim. And he's a much better athlete than Taysom Hill. I just I think that there's a spot for him. I never wanted to get rid of him ever, ever on this rookie contract, and you know, he's been a victim of circumstances. He didn't play. I mean, when you drafted him fourth okay, with only thirteen starts, you had to know that you weren't going to get a polished guy at the line of scrimmage with experience like a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. That stuff only comes in time. He's a very capable gun. Then he gets hurt. He only plays fifteen games, but he's eight and seven and in those fifteen games, so it's not like he can't help you win. And to me, you know, I think, you know, I just believe if he would have been around the last seven games after the freak accident, we would have come out of it better. I really believe that. I'm still a little bit of a believer. I know a lot of people aren't, but I am. And I would definitely, I would definitely have packages for him because he you know, he runs like a running back. He is special and you know, and the threat of the pass is there. And then if in fact, if in fact something happened to Danny, you go back and you play college football with him. I mean, a coach has to take the offense to the kid. You can't. You can't ask somebody to do something that they're not capable of doing. That. That's part of coaching X and O's is one thing. But you have to be able to coach to your talent, maximize your strengths, and minimize your liabilities. And you know, I just think that really impressed. I hope he can stack I think I hope he can stack performances. What do he look to me?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: John? He just played relaxed in that pocket, which I haven't seen him. It's it's like the old Joplin line in me and Bobby McGee. You know, freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, and he he kind of played like, I've got nothing to lose. I'm going to come out here and play my game. And he did good at it.
Speaker 6: That's what I was going to mention. So what does this coaching staff have to lose? And I gather that to me, the coach in Shane Styke and just does not trust him.
Speaker 5: What the football Okay, but what.
Speaker 6: Would this staff, what would this team have to lose considering the circumstances of you know what the hell in some moments might as well because the one thing that Shane stike In does he lives in a world of gamesmanship and gadgetry. And you know that tug on you lot gadgetary with Tyler Warree, So why not with Richardson?
Speaker 5: I mean, hell, if he's on the team, why.
Speaker 3: Not Well, I don't understand it. And to me, there isn't any question that he should be the backup quarterback. I mean in my book. And you know, it'll be a little bit different this week. I think Riley'll rally and he'll have the first half of the game, and the first half of the game he'll be playing with better players, and then ar will be holding on to his hold on to his button the fourth quarter. But I'm totally with you. I mean, you know, first of all, or Sean Payton, who probably is the best offensive mind in football, he was willing to do it with Taysoon Hill and he had a Hall of Fame quarterback and Drew Brees. I mean don't give me the argument like we don't want to take Danny off the field. You only do it in specialized situations. You do it as a changeup. And the other thing that it does han't been a defensive quarter for twenty seven years. You have to work on that stuff. It splits your practice time, you know, and that in itself is an advantage. So you know, I mean, they got to do what they got to do, and they got to do what they believe in. But at the same time, I do think that you really, in my world, you don't just judge coaches on x's and no's. You judge them on the development of players, the adaptations in games and how you maximize your talent.
Speaker 6: Well, and I just mentioned with the staff and this season, you know, I know that the common term nationally is used is well the cults are all in because they have to be all in. It doesn't really feel financially nor just in terms of trying absolutely everything that this team is all in. I mean, sure, if you bring Grandpa off the couch in December, then I guess you're trying a little bit of everything. But that was circumstance more than anything else. So I would just think, especially with a very inventive guy like Steichen, that that ploys like this would not completely be off the table, but evidently with Richardson it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well we'll see.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a there's a lot of time left. I don't think in my book that that. I don't think they saw that performance from Richardson coming. I I kind of think in a way, Uh, you know, Richardson's becoming afterthought, he is that uh, and he won't be here and this and that and and all of a sudden. Now with a performance like that, I think you have to recalibrate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just to me, what's again, other than the lack of trust, which I'm just going to gather that's that's what all this is.
Speaker 5: And I get it. I get it.
Speaker 6: If you're the coach and you know, you saw you were doing the TV, you saw the head go down when he fumbled, and it was, you know, kind of a product of the situation that he'd been through before.
Speaker 5: I'm sure that's it.
Speaker 6: But when you're supposed to be all in, I guess, if he's going to be on this team, why not in this case be all in? It is our next guest of the Andy Moro aut a motive croup pole line, the color analyst. The former Coats tight end Charles R. Buckle is a part of that bad boy and he is with us now. Good afternoon, Charles. How are you hey, Jamb?
Speaker 1: How you doing that?
Speaker 6: We just went all in for an hour with Rick Venturry. Now we'll work with you a little bit on it too. And obviously you played on the offensive side of the football while in the NFL. What does the guy like Keenan Allen bring to the table for a team that certainly has a quality need in that wide receiving category is upart of training camp and going into the reg of the season here.
Speaker 2: He is a productive guy who has just been Jamb. I mean, I can remember him coming out of Cow you know, just the big the ability to make plays. It's, you know, Michael Pittman junior, only older, you know, and with more fetches. You look at what he's been able to do over the course of.
Speaker 1: His career is just phenomenal.
Speaker 2: When you look he basically he gets up out of bed and he's eighty and open nine hundred yards almost. So I think when you have a guy like that that can make place for you, that's what you want to have.
Speaker 6: And that was necessary even even with let's just believe that Alean Pearce will make it back in week number one.
Speaker 5: I'm not quite sure if he will.
Speaker 6: But even if everything is as going according to plan, you had to have this guy, and a lot of people suggest to me, well you lose Michael Pittman Jr. He goes to Pittsburgh now and really he didn't put up a lot of big numbers and heavy results, but he was still a guy that you had to when you're a game plan and you had to say, well, this guy can do this, this guy can do that, and this adds to a room of guys that certainly solidifies that. With Keenan Allen, I don't know what he's going to be able to deliver, but he certainly solidifies and covers a need that the Colts had to ultimately address.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the other thing is look, I kind of felt like people were looking at it, and I still think it's important. If you think about Nick Westbrook Akine, I think he still plays a role. I think people can't forget about him. But LaQuan trailwell, you kind of know what you're getting out of la Quan and he hasn't had anything over the last few seasons other than great special teams for the Colts. So I think this makes sense from that perspective of bringing a guy like Keenan Allen on board. Who hey man, last year, he still was playing at a high level, and that's what you want. And I think it helps your room when you have a guy like Josh Downs, who's now in this fourth year, you've got, you know, other young guys. Ashton Dolan, you have him as well, and you know he's a great special teams player, but you could also give you some things on the offensive end. So I think this is a good move for the Colts, and I'm surprised it's taking this long.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: I'm going to get back to the Colts in just a second. Charles Arbuckle from the Radio Network. The former Coats side ends on the Andy Mora at Amni Group pod line at least sitting here right now, and we'll find out once the season officially gets underway.
Speaker 5: But how are you sizing up?
Speaker 6: You think it's going to be a lot of what we witnessed a year ago with the Jaguars stepping up and then obviously the Texans. Texans had great moments but didn't live up to the expectations that you thought. And then cam Ward and the Titans and year number two. How do you size up the AFC South from your vantage point right now?
Speaker 2: Charles Well, I mean, I saw those Texans live and they're legit on defense. If they can get anything from C. J. Stroud, that offense gets better. We didn't see them with Nicocollins, so that's another thing. You know, you just look at the explosiveness that they have on that team from the Texans perspective, and that defense man, interior, lineman, exterior, their secondary. They are just really gonna be hard. And then I think Jacksonville is after them just because of the maturation of Trevor Lawrence. And then the Colts fall in there at third. Right now, I'm just on paper Colts could make that move. But think about how long it's taking the Colts to beat Jacksonville down at.
Speaker 1: Jacksonville right when's the last time that happened. I was in high school.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know, I'm just I'm exaggerating, but it's been a tough, tough matchup with them, So you know, you go one in one generally every year, and you get the oh you get the Titans, and you can win both of those. But you're gonna They're gonna be in a dog fight now because you've got a better quarterback. And I think they're gonna be much better on defense this year. And I'm hearing some great things out of their young receiver out of Ohio State, Carnell Tate. So they're gonna they're gonna battle you, and I think cam Ward's gonna get better.
Speaker 1: So right now, you got to look at the Texans.
Speaker 2: You gotta anoint them. Jacksonville has to be second, in the Colts third. Now that's just on paper, and I hope my paper is wrong, so I can throw it away and say the Colts are better than the Jaguars, or maybe over extend and over index and be better than the Texans.
Speaker 6: Well in charge, you brought up the Texans before anybody else within this division. And he brought the d with good reason because it is loaded and Demiko Ryans is always going to be a defensive lean With that in mind, But did CJ. Stroud like evidently he did with some fans and some of the NFL crowd out there did he lose a little confidence in you as that season went along last year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: He lost his fastball, man. I mean, look at Schmes and Pittsburgh right now, lost two or three miles per hour and they're hammering them, right, that's what batters to. They adjust, and so he has to now get better as a pitcher.
Speaker 1: CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud has to understand of the twenty five year old guy, he's still young, that you got to make the plays when they're there. And andre Ware, who I know, is their their their radio analyst, talks about what he sees out of CJ from a quarterback side and he thinks he has a lot of potential. He just has to reach it and be consistent. And I think so too jamb and I think that's going to be interesting this year to watch them see how he is early in the year and how his makeup is because you think about it last year, the Texans started off at three and think about how they went on a tear.
Speaker 1: They were the opposite of what the Coats did.
Speaker 2: All those wins late in the year, right in November through December, and then they get to the playoffs against the Pats and you know, didn't play very well, So I think CJ has has an opportunity. When you have a defense of a forty six sacks, I'm gonna give him fifty rolling out of bed. With the guys they got on the outside, with the Neil Hunter and Anderson, They're gonna get after quarterbacks. I think they really solid interior with their linebackers, but their safeties and cornerbacks.
Speaker 1: Man, they play some really good.
Speaker 2: Football, and I think that's what gives you as a quarterback the chance to say, Okay, let me not make mistakes, let me play consistent ball, be better than fifty seven. He has to be better than fifty seven percent passer, and he has to protect the football. I'm if I'm a coach for them, That's what I'm preaching to him all this season. You've got to be better than that, and we need you at like five interceptions instead of eight late in the year, and then really have a horrific game in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: How do you come back from that?
Speaker 2: And that's going to be interesting, and I think everything that plays them early is going to challenge him to see if he has his mental makeup in the rights frame of mind.
Speaker 6: This is Charles Arbuckle, the Culture Radio Network, the former Coats tight ends on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. It seems like we question whether or not we're going to see with a healthy Daniel Jones, this connection between coach and quarterback as we witness before his injury a year ago, which was certainly high level. You saw that connection with Trevor Lawrence and Liam Cohen that went on down in Jacksonville. Are we going to see that similar connection and formula work offensively for the Jaguars in year number two?
Speaker 5: Loaded and they're.
Speaker 6: Going to have a healthy now Travis Hunter. We'll find out a little bit more about Brian Thomas Junior being for real Parker Washington with somebody that stepped up, But is it going to be a next step in what we saw in that so called magic formula between quarterback and head coach in Jacksonville a year ago.
Speaker 2: I just think Liam Cohen is one of those guys like the mcvays of the world, and like you know, Shanahan, there's not anybody in the NFL circles that don't talk about how well Liam Cohen is. And you know it came out of that Viking system. I think and just understanding of how to get into a quarterback's head and make him play better.
Speaker 1: And I saw man.
Speaker 2: I thought Trevor Lawrence was going to be the next coming when I saw him a college I really did. I thought Clemson's offense wasn't perfectly suited to you know, pro football style, but his ability some of the things that he could do, and to see it take this long, I think Liam Cohen in year two with Trevor Lawrence only gets better. And I think that's the one thing that the Jaguars have to be excited about is having a guy that now can help my quarterback become better, Travis Hunter. We can still sprinkle him in and you know he can you know, he can add a little spice.
Speaker 1: Every now and then. I don't want him playing every.
Speaker 2: Down if I'm if I'm a fan of theirs, because I think it's just you can't do that.
Speaker 1: But defensively, let's think about this Jaguars defense. We talk a lot.
Speaker 2: About how strong the defense was with the Texans. I think we a lot of people sleep on how good Jacksonville's defense is, and especially when they play the Colts.
Speaker 1: It's just something about those those horseshoes. Man.
Speaker 2: That gets the Jaguars going, and it seems like, you know, they find ways not only against the Colts, but if they can do that this year outside of you know, the AC South, I think you have another team that's going to be if when the Colts win those games against the Texans and the Jaguars, which they will do, you hope that that that's this year. If you're a Colts fan, you're gonna have You're gonna earn that win, right. You ain't getting a beginmmy, and it ain't gonna be a layup that if you come to the whole, you better come hard because that's how the those teams play on defense, and that's how they play on offense. And I think the pressure that they're putting on Trevor to learn and be a better steward of the ball and the game is what's going to make that team better and we're going to see it in year two.
Speaker 6: So, Charles, coming off the preseason game one, I mentioned preseason game two. After the two joint practices with the Falcons this week up at drop light of Grant Park in Westfield, you got coming up on Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 5: Against the Falcons.
Speaker 6: Give me some solid, strong takeaways from that preseason game in Foxborough, and then some things that you have to tighten up some things that disappointed you a bit about this team.
Speaker 2: The turnovers right away disappointed me. Right that was the one thing that stood out. You can't play that kind of football and not expect to even.
Speaker 1: Be in the game.
Speaker 2: And that's why I flip it to the other side. They were fortunate to be in the game. But I think the defense played a lot better than we thought. I thought the lineback and crew jamb I think it's going to be a work in progress.
Speaker 1: And though CJ.
Speaker 2: Allen is healthy this week, so I don't think lou is all that upset about not upset about having four or five guys that he can rotate and play with and use them in situational football. Even if you look at Wes Weeks, who's you know, the third teamer right now, I thought he played pretty well. I got to give, you know, a lot of credit to Kate kayten Curry, and I think everyone around the organization the program was waiting to see how he was going to play. And when they put him in that NASCAR package on the inside, he was beating guards like they stole something and then still taking their lunch money after he beat him at the line of scrimmage. It was just that was good to see in the first preseason game. I think the other thing is the biggest takeaway for me was Anthony Richardson flipped it in an end game. He was able to play make the first interception wasn't on him, but the fumble was him. You slide or you moved them off to the left hand. So if he gets knocked out to go out about to protect the football. But think about how well he played when they win those two minute situations both times and still being able to calmly get the ball down the field. And I think Seth McGowan showed us who he was. That wasn't a fumble. I mean, you know, the officials should have looked at that. They weren't pre season form, so they were hot garbage. Probably like everything else, they'll get better, But Seth McGowan was really, really good and I think we're starting to see the makeup of that. And I'll tell you one guy on offense that you got to keep an eye on, and I hope he's healthy this week is Salen Farmer. Jalen Farmer is a nasty dude and he'll come and hit you in the mouth. And I think that's one thing I wanted to see with the Patriots, who had a really good defense.
Speaker 6: Well, kind of curious about and Rick and I talked about this last hour with an offensive line that I think you liked what they start with. But we know this team, if there's anything they've been noted for over the years, recently has been being injured, so you could expect some compromising due to injury at some point. Is the depth on that offensive line there that you like?
Speaker 2: You know what, I'll do this when I look at how they are made up. Tony Sperano Junior always seems to have them in position, and he's tinkering and he's.
Speaker 1: Moving guys around. He's got guys playing multiple positions.
Speaker 2: I think Dalton Tucker is one guy that has to be a good backup. Luke Tanuda showed some good things the other night. I mean when you watch them, when you watch the film, you're going to see some good, you're going to see some bad. But you see Blake Friedland as another guy that you know you saw making some place. I think offensive line was if they can settle on where they want, if Jalen Travis is the answer there, or if they move you know, I'm just curious, is that the right tackle position, because I think there's still some.
Speaker 1: Things you can do and maybe move some things around.
Speaker 2: And when you have a Jalen Farmer that played as well as he did, even tho that's the first game, I know he's a little nicked up this week, that gives you some encouragement to say, Okay, maybe we can do a little bit different this week, and if we have all our guys healthy, you can see different lineups. And that's what I'm really going to look for, not only in the practices, but in the games, what they come out with after the first unit. And so that's going to be really interesting. I think to your point, you always have to have nine or ten guys, and you gotta got one or two guys that can move anywhere on the line or at least interior of the line. And then one guy that can swing from one tackle to the other. That's hard to have, but if you have it, that's what makes your team pretty good.
Speaker 6: Like anything you're looking for as far as preseason game two, a familiar team. You're going to see him obviously at draft light with the joint practice situations, but you saw him in Germany that's last season as well. Now you know you bring in two and you know pittises a quarterback then, but how do you size up what you're looking for this preseason Game two with the Falcons and the Colts coming up on Saturday.
Speaker 2: I want to see the Colts rush against two or I don't think Pennis, even if he plays, it won't be a lot. But Tula seems to be getting most of the snaps in the preseason, so.
Speaker 1: I'd like to see them get at the two who can get a little antsy. And I also want to see.
Speaker 2: You know, what this offense looks like in week two with Riley Leonard. He's going to probably get to start the way they've been rotating, I don't know for sure, but if he starts, how does he play with the front line guys, because he did not play as well last week and had a tough scrimmage against the Patriots, so it's going to be interesting to see that backup quarterback battle again for me. And then I want to see the secondary. There were a couple of guys that didn't play well and they need a chance to come back. If Jonathan Edwards didn't play his best game, Mackay Blackman also was being picked on a little bit. I want to see them come back because I've seen them play well at times, but I didn't see it against the Patriots.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's up a lot of things, certainly to size up, and a lot of these things, Charles, we're just just simply not going to know. Like the news on Daniel Jones all seems to be really positive, but you don't really know until you see other dudes that are trying to do to you what the other dudes aren't gone out when is real?
Speaker 2: That's right, Hey, I tell you two guys on the defensive line that Atabarre and just seems like he just gets better and better on the interior. And George Gombs, I was shocked former walk on you know when he started a wide receiver and then he's now playing the defensive end and.
Speaker 1: Looking pretty good.
Speaker 2: So those are the kind of things you want to look and see. Arden Key will be get I don't know how much time he'll get in the game, but how will he play against the Falcons. And then the Falcons, you know, their defense is pretty dog one good, so you have to guard against that. And that's the one thing I want to see how this offensive line handles that rush from the Falcons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a lot gonna be weird too, because like any season, it's important to get off to a good start, but certainly with this cold seam. You look at that early season schedule, they weren't done any favors, and you don't want to bury yourself. You don't want to bury yourself before two weeks prior to Halloween.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that is that is really crazy, and I think that's the part of the game that you want to see. You can't control what the schedule gives you, but most teams that start oh and two, oh and three don't generally tend to make it to the playoffs. So you got to get a hot start, you gotta start fast. And you're right, the schedule makers didn't do Colt much many favors in the first couple of weeks of the season.
Speaker 6: Hey, I do want to ask you a quick college question number six. The defending national champion Indiana Hoosias. I know it probably still seems a little bit weird for somebody to say, but it is true. Sixth rank to start the season. You agree or disagree? Should they be higher? Are they where they need to be?
Speaker 1: Well? I think they should be higher.
Speaker 2: But when you give google me man over there an opportunity to get spy see with people, I think that helps them, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I absolutely agree, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he's gonna tell you now, and he can say anything he wants to us, but I can assure you that team is going to use that to their advantage from the very beginning to throughout the season.
Speaker 1: And they're gonna wear that as a badge of.
Speaker 5: Honor with Yeah, I would completely agree with that.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, we'll track you down and Saturday preseason game two. You guys sounded fantastic back on Thursday night in Foxborough, and we'll do it more than occasionally over the course of the season.
Speaker 5: Charles, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: All right, man, y'all have a good one. Looking forward to Charles R.
Speaker 6: Bucklewell the Colts Radio Network. He's on the Andy More Automnic Group Highline