Speaker 1: The ride with JMV. I'm gonnaway ninety three five and one oh seven five the fan.
Speaker 2: Hey, Caleb, look behind me right here. This is what happens when somebody turns the TV off in here. I told you to probably I don't care. Look no, I'm making light of it. Right here. This is what happens when you jack with stuff in here. All right, at the very least, tell one of us you have jacked with it. I should have done it. Don't jack with it at all. There you go. It is off officially now, So what happens? No, I've ripped. I have ripped. I have sent out a scathing text of rippage. Andy Moore Automotive Group hotline. Greg Rakestraw joins us right now, Gregor, are you going to be in for me this week? Can you wait until I have a decision a little bit later on? Are you want to came on Friday?
Speaker 3: My agent has gotten a hold of me and said that your agent is working on a day off for you, but nothing has been confirmed at this time.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll get back with you. I've got to ask the my eighty year old agent, if this is going to work, If that makes sense to you.
Speaker 3: And if and if if, if you want to work on Aldi or or you can't go check on mog live. But that's okay. I'll take the time with with with my occagenarian mom and in laws as well. That's perfectly.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that man. Eddie Garrison just came in and fixed the TV right behind me, the scathing Hey Greg, look the scathing email. Got the job done? Wuld you do do that? That was you? Oh boy?
Speaker 3: In the zoom, I can see myself. I can't see you the way that it's worked.
Speaker 4: Right, So what was I missing? Since I can see you? Just make me making fun of a situation. That's it, which as usual around here. I do that all the time, correct, yea, hey yeah. A couple of things too. Colts met with the media.
Speaker 2: Obviously you're going to be doing a lot of Colts work the preseason games, the postgame shows, which you're going to be a lot of added flair on all this too, and I think everybody's going to absolutely love it. But what did you think about the report? I mean, DeForest Buckner was the good. We still kind of wonder about the CJ. Allen situation. I don't know how many South nerves Colts fans have regarding that Alec Pearce as well, and then the words of Chris Ballad anything stand out to.
Speaker 3: You, you know, to be honest with you, I've not had a chance to hear Chris. I was not there today. I kind of start tomorrow. Normally, move in day is the day that I can kind of skip and then kind of show up for first day of practice and watch it from there. Obviously, I know the transactions that took place in terms of pup yesterday, and know about the Forest Buckner news. Obviously the buck news is good. Ryan learning about Buckner in the course of the preseason. We'll know more about that when we see him on September thirteenth. As far as CJ and Alec are concerned, you know, we kind of knew that Alec Pierce is probably up against the time wise in terms of being ready for the start of the preseason. To be honest with you, as long as he's ready for September the thirteenth, you know that he is going to be fine. CJ. Allen is one you get nervous just because he needs every rep possible. You know, when you're asking a rookie to be the leader of your defense and be the green dot guy, be the communications guy. Whatever time he misses is a problem and sets him behind the eight ball. So the Butler news is great, the Pierce news is expected, the Allen news, even if it's not long term, that's still a setback for him.
Speaker 2: So Greg great Strass on the Andy Moore Auto Motive Group potline, he is with us. So there's a lot of conversation out there on and Chris Beller was asked this question and said he didn't want an extension because he has to win this year. I don't think there was one offered to him because I would question the decision not wanting to sign an extension if it will offer to you, regardless of you know where you are ten years in and the lack of results. But what do you think, Mark wise, this team has to hit to justify Chris Ballard's return or this organizational return in general.
Speaker 3: Greg right, I mean again, this needs to be a playoff team. That's a side of progress. And I understand that they are younger on defense. I understand you don't have a Michael Pittman junior of Braden Smith on offense, but when again, you've not been a playoff team since twenty twenty. It's kind of a past fail class. Are you going to make the playoffs or not? I don't think it asked to me a division championship. He's certainly nice to have the first one of those since twenty fourteen. But I think everything with this Colts organization is are you a playoff team this year? I think it's I think it's that cut and dry, simple right now, Well, I'll.
Speaker 2: Make it even more cut and dry. Does it not depend on again, how you get there? We're about yesterday. The optics of the break yard four hundred. The optics on TV look terrible. Yet for a NASCAR ray seventy k is normally pretty good.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: What about the optics or the way things look? The way the Colts get to the postseason and what they do if they do make it once they get there.
Speaker 3: We can judge that as we get to it. But I still think it is simple. When you have not made the playoffs in six years, it is simple did you get there or not? Now again, we're talking about being there at eight, nine, nine, and eight, whatever the case may be, back in your way in I don't know, but if you accomplish something in a positive light that you haven't done in six years, to me, that tends to check enough of a box for me. But I'm not the one making the ultimate call. But again, I think it's pretty did you make it or not? I think that's where the conversation starts.
Speaker 2: As Greg Greg Straw, he's on the Andy More out of Montive Group pibline Big Ten media Days going on in Chicago right now, and I know that they're touting what three consecutive national titles and loving every second of that and probably putting that right to the SEC. But there has been some significant landscape changing in head coaches in the Big Ten. How do you think that ultimately has an effect on the league this season?
Speaker 3: You know, it's a good question. And obviously major turnover and major question marks at Michigan and how that plays out, we'll see. You know, Penn State cratered last year, so they made their change in terms of during the course of the season and going out and getting somebody you know after that. You know, I think obviously Indiana and rightfully so they're concern right now is Ohio State, and that is the top of the league and Oregon right behind that. So do I see anybody that make a coaching change kind of affecting those Big three this year?
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 3: Probably not. I think for Indiana it's more of all right, you know now that the James Madison guys are not completely but largely gone. You hit a home run, you hit a basis empty grand slam on Mendoza. Frankly, can you do it again with Hoover? You know, last year we almost thought there was gonna be a regression because in our minds we couldn't wrap around the fact Indiana can't be that good again for a second year, right, and they are actually better. So remember now, I'm like, Okay, this is seemingly pretty legit. This is what we expect from Indiana as long as Kurt Signetti is there. So if that's the case, and you really think that you're a top strata team, then you're concerning yourself with the other teams that seemingly are of a similar ilk, and that would be Ohio State and Oregon. So our coaching change is gonna happen every year. Yes, Are they gonna affect the league? Yes, I'm not sure they get to a point of effecting the Indiana Hoosiers at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I'm really interested to see, you know, obviously the change that mission at a Penn State, the effect they have. I think IU has what a stretch of I know Nebraska and Michigan right in there too. That's going to be a tough one for them. But we know what the Hoosias are all about. But what about Barry Otam and the boiler Makers? What would be the expectations for you? And then what do they need to do up there to solidify the choice they made a head coach and try to do something about their chief rival having all this success, and then everything else positively that's going on around them, just not necessarily football wise, happening in West Lafayette.
Speaker 3: You used to get the gift of time. You don't have that now anymore period, let alone when Signette does what he has done in Bloomington. I think going from two wins to six is a heck of an ask for Purdue. If maybe they just get to four or five, I think you also, okay, that is progress made. Getting the six wins and getting to a potential bowl game would be phenomenal for Purdue. I do think that Barry Odam's pretty solid coach. I do think you saw some progress, not as much would have wanted to last year with that football team. So six might be a stretch. Four or five wins you say, okay, progress made, then be a bowl team in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: It's a great, great straw with us. Before I'll let you go, I'm curious your thoughts on the Big Ten. You know I mentioned they touted the three straight national titles and then also in the last two years in the bowl season eight and two against the SEC. Is this a legitimate right now? The Big Ten has just simply put a better league football wise than the SEC.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it is now. Is it going to stay that way this year or in the future Time will tell, But clearly in the age of NIL, I think the Big Ten was better position was better prepared for that transition. That or it has leveled the playing field and allow the Big Ten to catch up and or rocket forward. There is too much passion, there is too much money, and there is too much talent available to SEC schools for this to be a death knell of that league and stay behind the Big Ten forever and clearly, to paraphrase this show as we saw from SEC media days there is a butt herdedness, yes about where they stand in comparison to the Big ten right now. So if I'm the Big ten, I'm flaunting that too. But SEC will have their day. They're going to bounce back at some point in time, and clearly because of our conference schedules and head to head matchups play, we probably won't have a better idea as to exactly how those two leagues stack up against each other until we get to the middle or end of December.
Speaker 2: By the way, well done with the brickyard work this weekend, Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. So let's see three and a half hours on Saturday and three hours on Sunday, So a full week for me at the brickyard. Thanks for hanging me for about ninety of.
Speaker 2: Those minutes, yeah, and talking even less, which was a beautiful thing. I couldn't. I could not thank you the hard.
Speaker 3: Work on Tuesday, the tape as many interviews as possible for you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely I get to ask you because you've been a long time administrator if you will, or boss in either radio or now TV, and what you do so here in the building, Ryan Hedrick and Matt Behar. They've been nominated for a Marconi for supporting sobriety, which is awesome. B one oh five point seven, they've been nominated for a Marconi. Now I say they am I also now officially nominated for a Marconi. If B one oh five point seven, am I on that team?
Speaker 3: John? There is a B one o five seven event coming up in matd Hatter in Greenwood on September the twelve. Are you or are you not on the marquee for that event? Oh?
Speaker 2: My goodness. So now I can put in my profile Marconi Award winning or check that nominated Marconi Award nominated award, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nominated broadcaster JMV.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. And to think that happened before that ridiculous Spectrum award, Greg, how does that work? That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I've got one of those from twenty years ago, having won one cent.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, John, they don't know I existed around here. I'd use it as a doorstop, though I wish I would win one. No, seriously, though, Marconi Award nominated. I'm gonna put that in my profile stat but that.
Speaker 3: I think, I think legitimately, So you're on the staff. Now, even if it's only six hours a week, Yes, it's clearly a very important six hours.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. Thanks Greg, I appreciate you. Pal see Bud Yeah, b one oh five point sevenminated for a Marconi. I believe that to be the highest tip of the cap in the industry, the Marconi. And then we love both Ryan and Matt. Matt Bear is one of my closest dudes aroud here. I absolutely love Matt Bear and supporting Sobriety that podcast. Shout out to those guys October and New York City. Will I get the invite to go? That's the next question. Oh, we need to make that happen. So I just want to be like all the TV people that say Emmy nominated locally. Do you ever see what entails there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they send off tapes to like Cleveland, for example, and then in the middle of the night people watching go oh yeah. I think that's good enough, and that's how you win. Pretty stringent situation of work. Hey, listen, I'm not going to turn down the spectrum. I don't care the Marconi. I'll be a part of that. Shout out to Greg Raystraw for placing my name on the Marquis. Let's take a break are the Andy Moore Automotive Group Potline. I remember, once upon a time in the summer, so much like Caleb Zuver, my producer was Matt Taylor, and I go off on a vacation and the Gore Man, a mutual friend of ours. He was hosting for me that entire week. And then I come back and my producer poof, Just like magic, he has gone and since that point in time he has been with the Colts organization. I believe Matt Taylor, who is now the incredible voice of the Colts. Is this year fifteen for you?
Speaker 5: Season fifteen?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: Hard to believe.
Speaker 7: Hard to believe that the week that you were mentioning was July fourth of twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is there a reason why I shouldn't hate the Gore Man? I like the gor Man. You know this a great deal. I should hate him for that. I come back and he said, well I knew that Matt was going to do what I needed him to do. Well, yeah, exactly, that's a lot. You're gone, Poof, and you were up and gone, is it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Just I guess it's just a classic case of uh, always always try to be on you know, always put your best foot forward, tree everything like it's uh.
Speaker 5: The super Bowl, because it might be your super Bowl, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: And uh, you know, I I don't know if I've got some great prophetic story to tell to youngsters, but uh, I do mention that, like you never know who's watching, you never know who's listening, so always put your best foot forward and got me uh got me a gig across town if you will. And I do miss you though, I mean I miss our. I miss our pre show pow wows, our post shows.
Speaker 2: Well, we still talk to one another all the time too, I will. Yeah, I'm glad it's like twofold here. I'm glad that people aren't privy to our private conversations, but sometimes I wish they were.
Speaker 7: You know, yeah, yeah, I mean there were a lot like the you know, back in the day, like you know, the show rundown stuff at the cubicle. Like I didn't I didn't really know.
Speaker 5: Your style.
Speaker 7: I don't know if like that's the right word style or you know, you know, getting getting to know your personality a little bit. But I just remember like just doing what I was doing, you know, like try to build a bunch of stuff up for the show and book guests and you, I don't know if we're like a month and you're like, I don't want to talk to these clowns, Like I don't want to talk to these guys because I.
Speaker 2: Think I mentioned you're booking too many guests. Good night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want to talk to these guys, like, get about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did say that. Yeah, and they probably felt the same way about me, Matt, which is interesting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well no, I mean it's just I mean it's it's you. You've got command, man, you don't need any help. And I was just trying to feel you out and do my part, but you know, just trying to to scale it back on on your strengths and what your personality is.
Speaker 5: Man, it's great.
Speaker 2: Caleb is a real and then Matt, Caleb also gets to play basketball with me all the time. So because I gets you like it, I'm I I come in here and I go for it, and I read lined here, I really read lining and hoop, I'm a complete idiot, but it's mostly to me. But yeah, complete idiot out there. So he sees it all.
Speaker 5: Well, listen.
Speaker 7: I mean you you've had a you've had a bunch of them, uh you know myself and uh, you know cast of characters that have gone on to do great things. But uh, you know, Caleb's gonna do a great job. I can already sense that. You know, he's got a good head on his shoulders. But uh, there's there's only one person. Let's keep this in mind. There's only one person that ever got you, Adam Sandler, and it was the it was the very first.
Speaker 5: Time you talked to Adam Sandler. Right, so there will only be one radio row.
Speaker 7: At the super Bowl where we knocked it out of the park. So just keep that in mind. Caleb, you got big shoes.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try to find a contact right now. Matt so well, Madigan. Matt also had to do that because I got this black bald from ESPN Personalities. If you remember on radio.
Speaker 5: That made it really easy. I'm not gonna lie. That made it great. That was really easy to do that for two and a half years.
Speaker 2: I remember, man, this is a true story. We had promotions people and they were helping out ESPN in what was Pan am Plaza back then, and they were in line and they were in front of Scott Van Pelt and he was talking to Ryan Rossillo and Rosillo said, Hey, are you going to go on with the local show JMV this afternoon, And Van Pelt said, we had to direct it for management. We're not allowed to go on with him this week. Yeah, So it was all about the Adam Schefter thing. So you had to navigate through the waters of me being black baled from ESPN because of what I said about Adam Schefter. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I'm.
Speaker 7: Pretty sure, like you know, that same week where we're trying to get guests on, I think it was Radio Row the Super Bowl, like you know, Greenberg and Golik.
Speaker 5: They were doing their car washing and going on all.
Speaker 7: Of the ESPN affiliates that were on Radio Row across the country, and they would walk by us and I think I overheard one of them say, yet, we're not allowed to do that one.
Speaker 5: Keep moving, that's what we don't have to We don't have to do that one.
Speaker 7: So we'll just go from our three o'clock straight to the three thirty and skip to three fifteen because we're not doing that one anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I had to do a do a lot of meetings leading up to that, and I don't like a lot of meetings that was Yeah, I did that all to myself right there, but you and you did get me Adam Sandler, and if you remember, he was awesome. He was absolutely awesome on.
Speaker 7: The show and we still I mean, I think he was saying it in jest, but with him, you never really know for sure, like is he being serious or not, Like there was like a shadow of a doubt because remember he invited us. He probably invited more so you than me, But I think I was kind of lumped in there because I was standing right there when he did it.
Speaker 5: But remember he invited us.
Speaker 7: With his cast or crew, like you know, his guys, if you will, to play basketball ball the next day at well back then it was Conseco. And I remember like you called me or I called you the next day, which was a Saturday and whatever time, like they were going to get together at noon, and you're calling me like at eleven, like have you heard anything?
Speaker 5: I haven't heard anything?
Speaker 7: Like, man, how like how sweet would that be to play play basketball with?
Speaker 5: Like the cast of where was that show?
Speaker 2: Well, it was mom, it was Mama's Boy. It wasn't. I don't it wasn't. It was Mama's Boy. I think it is what he was from Ode he and Andy Samberg, I think in the film together is what?
Speaker 5: What was the movie where like they all went on like summer.
Speaker 2: And I love that one. I love the original of that one too.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think he was coming off of that one. But the Mama's Boy was the film. And and quick we'll get to the cults of the second, but a quick side note to that. I was hurt. I got hurt that week playing over at what now was Greenwood Christian, I think, and I accepted, I said yeah, and his handler took my number down.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I took so many drugs that morning. I was so numb. My body was so numb because I wanted to play. I was hurting and I wanted to play so bad. I was so numb, and I sat on the edge of my bed for the better part of four and a half hours waiting for a call that never came. And then the Pacers sent out socials of these guys playing right right inside of the field house, and stinking Casey Kane's ass was down there from NASCAR. He was out there playing like he had all these other guys and he did not I didn't get the call. I was so bummed by that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I do remember that, Yes, yeah, they sent out pictures and videos and I just felt like you were You were like the loser kid in high school, sit at the table and the cafeteria all by yourself.
Speaker 5: I think the movie I'm thinking of was.
Speaker 2: Grown Ups, Grown Ups and the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all of.
Speaker 7: His boys were in that movie. But yeah, I think, yeah, it was. It's hard to believe that was twenty twelve.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 5: Lots happened then.
Speaker 2: I wish one of these days because that Super Bowl most couple of weeks went over so fantastically. You and I got to hang out so much. I'd always hope that they would get a chance to even do better than what took place then. Unfortunately, with all the new stadiums popping up and the landscape that is right now, Matt, I don't ever see them being able to do that. Outside of building another stadium. I think that is going to be the next opportunity, which is unfortunate because this host market we know it to be great, was so damn good over those two weeks. The weather was awesome, there is literally no reason not to, other than you're going to have to massage those that are all building new stadiums, and then that new one in Nashville is going to pop and it's going to be in the rotation now for the foreseeable future. I just don't see there any way outside of a new stadium, that Indy gets a Super Bowl again anytime soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was actually talking over this maybe back in April and May, about this topic specifically with Chris gall you know, from visit Indy, and it is a shame that that's sort of what it takes now. And you know, I think there's some people that say Indianapolis got pretty lucky with the weather, which, okay, we did it right, whatever, we still from a logistics standpoint, we still kind of reset the bar in terms of expectations on what it takes to host a big time event like the super Bowl. And we we tend to do that with everything anything big that comes to town, whether it be Super Bowls or All Star Games or Big Ten Championship games.
Speaker 5: Or the College Football Playoff Championship.
Speaker 7: We just sort of reinvent or take the hospitality levels to new heights. And so you might be right about the Super Bowl, hopefully hopefully we're not right about it, and.
Speaker 5: Then Indianapolis will one day get another shot at it.
Speaker 7: But listen, I think I think the combine is going to stay here forever. And I really do think that within the next three or four years, we are going to get the NFL Draft and that's going to just absolutely take over the town.
Speaker 2: So do you have an idea where that would be held at all? Would you have any idea, because I think we're going to get that as well. Do you have any idea where that would be held?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I think it'll sort of just be spread out between activation sites.
Speaker 5: I mean obviously that the stadium will be heavily involved. I think Military Park, the.
Speaker 7: Circle, Downtown, Monument Circle, maybe some stuff going on at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It's not just the draft, as you know, right, It's not just people sitting around watching a screen, you know, and looking for or you know, watching people walk across the stage to announce you know, draft picks and things like that. It's interactive zones, it's concerts, it's it's tons of things to do to make it truly an event in the NFL calendar, and I do think it's coming to town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too. I'm right there with you on that, Matt Taylor, who is the voice of the Colts, and you're number fifteen with the Colts organization over there. It's kind of enough to join us on the anymore Automotive group potline. You've been to so many of these in the past, now fifteen years. Did anything stand out to you? I think, simply put, there's just going to be a prove it mentality once again, and there's a lot of conversation and a lot of dialogue that goes on because these guys all have to talk to the media here locally, but we're really not going to learn or glean anything until we actually see this group play together. Because you do have a variety of questions without a lot of answers right now, but you can still go on the first eight plus weeks of the season and kind of wonder had that been sustainable, what could have happened a year ago.
Speaker 7: No, that's exactly right, and what you just mentioned is that's the foundation for all of the decisions the Colts front office, you know, ownership made in the off season trying to prove or having more confidence that the Colts are more like the eight and two Colts from last year instead of the zero to seven team that finished out the season. And you know, training camp is a good stepping stone towards finding out some of these answers to a lot of questions that the team has going into the season. But you're exactly right, we are just definitively not gonna know what, you know, what the answers are to some of these big questions before or I should say, until you start playing regular season games. You know, the questions on Daniel Jones is full health and mobility and his ability to put all of the threats or the same amount of threats into opposing defenses this year that he did all of last year when he was healthy those first ten weeks of the season or so.
Speaker 5: Same thing on the defense.
Speaker 7: Questions on Buckner, questions on the viability and the consistency of this pass rush.
Speaker 5: At the beginning of the season.
Speaker 7: So it's it's just, I hate to say, it's just sort of like wait and see and just get a lot of like glimpses along.
Speaker 5: The road here in the month of August as you.
Speaker 7: Progress towards joint practices and preseason games. I mean, all that's going to give you indicators, but you're just not going to know definitively until that first game of the regular season. And not to steal a line from the great Rick Venturi, but I love what he says. Week one is either a combination of Christmas or Halloween. Right, Christmas and that hey, we got all these new toys and we're going to see just like how happy all of these new gifts make us, or it could be Halloween.
Speaker 5: We're like, oh my god, this could be a.
Speaker 7: Nightmare considering all the questions and just the unknowns you have going into every season with roster turnover in the NFL.
Speaker 2: And honestly, Matt, you're going to be at the forefront of this. You got the first month of the season, first four to five weeks of the season where there could be a lot of determination on what this team is and what this team is about. By a couple of weeks pre Halloween.
Speaker 7: If you will here, Yeah, I mean, like I said, those first five games of the season, specifically opponents, you're playing a lot of established quarterbacks and a lot of good offenses, and these quarterbacks are a mixture of experienced, savvy, can get the ball out fast, can read defenses really well, they've got mobility, or they're just a combination of all of.
Speaker 5: Those things, right, I mean c J.
Speaker 7: Stroud and Jaydon Daniels, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers. So that's why I said, I mean that pass rush inevitably for the Colts. It's got a lot of questions on it, but inevitably it's going to get better as the season goes on. But to get off to a good start and to win some important games early on in the season, that's going to help you out in terms of the ledger towards making the playoffs and snapping this postseason drought. It's got to be able to produce at a pretty consistent clip, a viable clip early on in the season to affect some of these games and try to get off to a good start. And again last year, getting off to a good start for the Colts, both in terms of the season and also getting off to good start within games specifically individually, that wasn't a problem.
Speaker 5: It was just finding ways.
Speaker 7: Down the stretch of games and down the stretch of the season to close it out. And Chris Ballard ironically closed out his press conference today with talking about closing out games and the season. Colts were two and eight last year in games against teams that finished over five hundred and they were three and seven in games that were decided by one score and since twenty twenty three, like this is probably the most maybe one of the biggest indicators in terms of why the Colts have missed the playoffs the last five years, but the last three years, specifically, since twenty twenty three, the Colts are combined two to ten against the Jaguars and Texans.
Speaker 5: You got to start beating good.
Speaker 7: Teams and you got to start winning closer games, and no excuses, right, I mean every team deals with personnel losses, key personnel losses down the stretch of the season, just because of the War of attrition. But you've got to find ways to close games out in the fourth quarter, and inevitably that's what the NFL is.
Speaker 2: Matt Taylor, you're number fifteen with the Colts play by play voice. He's kind of enough to join us on the Andy Morrill Automotive Group pile line. You did reference the Ravens that is week number one They've had a significant change at head coach, so out is John Harball. He is now going to the New York Giants. Jesse Mentor is in How much do you you feel that he can add to the offense with his defensive background? I think mostly with Lamar Jackson, But also does it concern you that he has a history a resume that included Tera Hooade Indiana and Indiana State University as an assistant coach. That's quality right there, pal, Let me tell you you know what else?
Speaker 7: You know what else is funny about jesse Mentor. I don't mean to hijack your show, but I was actually looking this up doing some preseason prep on the Ravens believe it or not already. But I also did not realize that he went to Mount Saint Joe College in Cincinnati, so he and I actually played against one another in college.
Speaker 2: You did not he was Wow?
Speaker 5: Yeah he was.
Speaker 7: He was a He was a wide receiver at Mount Saint Joseph's and I was a outside linebacker at Franklin College. They're in the same conference, and we actually shared the field together for two games.
Speaker 5: And look at him now, he's.
Speaker 7: The freaking head coach of the Baltimore Ravens in the NFL.
Speaker 5: And but but but did.
Speaker 2: You look what did he do in that game? Was it like mark ingele King where he was a wide receiver and nobody ever threw the football time?
Speaker 7: It's you know, it's funny you say that, because in typical me fashion, I did go down a wormhole of curiosity. So I tried to you know, dark web the box score from those games and couldn't find him. So I actually called the Heartland Conference office to see if I could, you know, find fine record of of of those games. And the only thing I could find was a old Daily Journal right up in small box score from the from the two games. And it doesn't make mention of him registering catches in those games. So I'm not sure if he was a starter or what. But your old boy here, your old boy in one of those games had a scoop and score now defense defensive touchdown.
Speaker 5: Now we still we got our ass kicked in one of those games. But uh I did.
Speaker 7: I did register a big moment, a highlight play if you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome, right there, Jesse. We're just going to play this out as that was a scoop and score off of a catch and fumble and a for jesse mentor right there, that's the case, you know what.
Speaker 7: But to answer your question, I really don't think and I I kind of see the same same thing or say the same thing about the the Houston Texans. I don't see much need for a lot of tweaks within their offense. Obviously, they just kind of got bad luck for most of last year with injuries, and they dropped a lot of key games in close games, just like the Colts. And you know, I think the Texans are right there offensively. You know, the Texans offense for most of last year was kind of classified as more clutch than prolific because their defense, you know, kind of afforded them that ability. But I think, you know, they they've addressed their offensive line. They got some key weapons returning. They also have some key weapons coming back from injury and Tank Dell specifically. And I say the same thing about the Ravens. I don't think you need to really tweak much in terms of what they got going on. They just need to kind of find better luck across the board for next season. And that sort of describes the Colts schedule for the upcoming years. If you have one word, if you're asking me one word described the Colt schedule for twenty twenty six, It's deceptive because the Cults are playing a lot of teams on their schedule that didn't make the playoffs last year that are going to be There's no reason to think they won't be right there, you know this upcoming season and the Ravens, the Bengals, the Chiefs, and the Cowboys. They are solidified from the franchise quarterback standpoint, So I think all of those teams are very capable of rebounding this year after missing the playoffs last year.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm curious about this. So jesse Mentor was three years in terre Hote. I think with Trent Miles. Was he on the staff with Mike Sandford while in terre Hote? Do you know this? Here's the reason why, Because Mike Sandford was with Shane Stikin at you on LV? Was he not? Is that a dynamic at work here? Do we know? I was just kind of looking at it at face value, and it looks like maybe there's some paths that have been crossed here.
Speaker 5: Probably.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah, that's that's that's a really good observation on your part. I don't know, I have to go back and cross reference the timelines and the resumes there, but you've got it pulled up. I think what was was Jesse Mentor's first coaching gig right out of school, and he would.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. He was the defensive intern in Notre Dame in two thousand and six.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's that's a big jump. You know, you've you've never coached before ever. Yeah, and then you go to Notre I mean, he I'm sure he had to have known somebody, but listen, I mean you got to play the game, you know what I mean, get your foot in the door no matter what, and apologize for nothing.
Speaker 5: And then after that you just.
Speaker 2: Well, his dad was his dad was Rick Mentor, who was the head coach, And I mean, I'm gonna shure that probably carried a little bit of weight as well. But yeah, no, I'm not I would things. Absolutely, I would like to know, and I probably could get more than three words out of Shane's sich And if I asked him about that, maybe there's some connection there. I just it just occurred to me because you know, I know that I've had i'd had, you know, Sandford on when when she first got the gig here and we talked about him, I kind of wondered if I think he was on the staff. He is with Sandford while in teryror hold, but interesting to see the least right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's one thing I'm sure you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, the.
Speaker 7: Football, the coaching football profession. Man, it's just one big web. It's food, do you know, and right place, right time, and then take full advantage of it like he's done here now, parlay all of that success now into his first head coaching opportunity in the NFL.
Speaker 2: You're number fifteen with the Colts in another year played by play voice with the Colts. He's our friend, Matt Taylor. How much how much Intel? How much content are you going to produce you in Casey value from camp as we enter this now for real coming up tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all day, every day, man, anytime there's camp up there, we're going to be doing shows, and we're going to be doing player interviews and putting that out on video and podcast form. And all of our radio shows originate from up there.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's uh, summer is over, brother, Summer is over.
Speaker 7: It's it's full speed ahead seven days a week now and for the next seven months, and you're just buckling up along for the ride. It's no matter what good bad are indifferent. It's always interesting. There's always a lot of storylines. And you know, doubling back to your tarat Hat thing. I was down to your neck of the woods last week. Turn out downtown tarot Hate. It's really really nice, man, I know, really really nice, pleasant area.
Speaker 5: I really enjoyed being.
Speaker 2: Down my U my daughter is over there. I think both Laney and Blake are over there today at MS. Have you ever been to Mauger's over there?
Speaker 5: You know what that is.
Speaker 2: It is kind of an Irish bar that if you remember the Irish line in Bloomington, very reminiscent of the Irish line in Bloomington. H you know, Ol' Riley's a little bit old Riley's flavor if you want to mix all those together. But it's it's old school and it's pretty cool, cool place. It's called m mauger. I believe that they are over there in the thch right now. How's Tara Hate Radio going? They need to put the JMV takeover the Marconi Award, nominated along with B one oh five point seven JMV Takeover on on a Saturday night over there somewhere on the thch.
Speaker 7: Well, I was actually I was testing it on the way home, so you know, driving over on seventy from tarat Hoe back to Indy, I was testing it.
Speaker 5: So we're talking about ninety eight five the river. Yes, in tara Hote. Great station.
Speaker 7: I think that they play classic rock and some alternative stuff. But I mean I got that thing well past the Greencastle exit.
Speaker 2: Man, beautiful.
Speaker 7: It's it's almost it's almost a Monrovi in terms of reach.
Speaker 5: So I like that great. I like that a great.
Speaker 2: Deal, great affiliate in Western Indiana for real, right there? Love me some thh All right, Matt, we'll stay in touch. I'm not up there until the nineteenth and the twentieth back to but what are you doing, man? I mean, I'll just schedule the practices. You know. I don't want to sit up there in an empty parking lot or anything.
Speaker 7: So yeah, you don't want to sit there by yourself for three hours?
Speaker 2: Really rather not? No, So nineteenth and the twentieth I shall be up.
Speaker 7: There well when the joint practices start the big guns come out, So just take that as a sign of respect.
Speaker 2: Proud of you, my brother, stay at it.
Speaker 5: I know you will, all right, Man, Good to be with you anytime.
Speaker 2: Matt Matt Taylor, Voice of the Colds. You're number fifteen with the organization, Matt Man. A lot of good stories right there, the mentor stiching dynamic. I may have to have Caleb do a little research on that right there, especially with Indiana state of mind. I'm curious about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was super interesting to hear about.
Speaker 2: Was it because I just thought I half asked that I never lie meantime of the Andymore Automotive Group potline, first time I'm a s show with on three covers college football, really athletics in general. Great perspective, and Pete Nakos joins us. Now, Hey, Pete, thank you for the time. How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm good? Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Guys, let's dial in to the Big ten. There's been a lot so touting three straight titles and recent dominance, if you will, over the SEC. It seems like that if you've done it, you might as well talk it up, which is exactly what's taking place in Chicago. So far.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, Tony Tatiti get up there today standing next to the three consecutive national championship trophies, and the Big Ten heard everything the SEC had to say last week about how the SE still ce top the down is just as good as any conference in the country, And yeah, you know, the Big Ten. I don't know if they took offense to it, but I'll sell you one thing.
Speaker 6: They're going to stand by.
Speaker 9: The fact that they won three consecutive national championships and they're going to boast that plenty this week at their media days in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Is this going to rally the SEC troops you think within that conference even more so? Motivation wise?
Speaker 6: I don't know about that. I don't know.
Speaker 9: I think Indiana's national title probably he's all the motivation they need.
Speaker 6: But we'll see. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 9: You would have thought they would rallied go between the Ohio State and Michigan with national titles and an Indiana the hood and next seat of the year after and SEC didn't even make the national title game.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 2: Pete Dakos joins US on three Covers College Football Covers The Big Ten. You mentioned IU, the defending national champions and they did reload and the transfer portal and NIL when you have that allows you, if you're Kurt Signetti, to reload. Now a part of the process, Pete is also selecting at a high level, which I think Kurt Signetti has been fantastic at doing, selecting guys that fit within the program. Now in the past he's gone with guys that he's known and guys that are a little bit more veteran. How does this group coming in you think, by example, relate to the past and are they capable of getting to the point in which we saw them get to maybe not win it all once again? The playoff wise? Is that a playoff team from what you see on paper?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I love this how the Kurt signality brings back. You add Josh Suger, the TCU quarterback, there's definitely any some questions about him. We'll see how the season opens up and how he looks. You know, we can debate this another day, but I think there's plenty people out there who say that Nana Mendoza was a more highly teted quarterback out in the portal. But there's no doubt in the experience that Josh Houger has. I love what they do. Bringing in Nick Marsh at wide receiver. I think that he can be a lecturer, can probably add a layer to the receiver room that maybe wasn't even there last year. And that's saying something. With everything that Elijah ster Ratt and Charlie Becker did, they feel really good about where the running back room sits. I know, Turbot Richard, there's some excitement there. And then you know, defensively they relod Harder Smith's back on the offensive line. Like I haven't sat down and tried to fill out of college football playoff racket yet, but I would tell you right now if I did it today, Indiana would be in the mix and I'd have a hard time picking against them to win the national title until Kurt Signaty proves differently.
Speaker 2: It's a funny pete too. You look at IU and they also reloaded. One of the big things about this team is upfront on both sides, and they look as stout as anybody up front on both sides. Once again, and you know a lot of the old school college coaches or coaches in general will tell you that that is necessary, but we saw it actually work for this group, certainly the past two years, and worked to the highest level a year ago. So you combine that with I also think the relation you have with keeping your top coordinators in this landscape of college athletics and especially college football, that is so incredibly important.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's so huge.
Speaker 9: And you know, everyone likes to try to say that the number that Indiana had on last year's Robsters higher.
Speaker 6: Than it was. It was eighteen to twenty million. I mean, that's not a lot of money.
Speaker 9: I think that really gives you a really good insight into how much Art did with what he had to work.
Speaker 6: With, and how he evaluated video.
Speaker 9: And take and stuff, and that roster. You know this year is going to cost more than that. I've been told. I think it's twenty eight to thirty million. It's still not like the highest in college football, far from that, but it's super competitive and they put the numbers to work. I mean, you don't get back Carter Smith's cheek, you don't bring back Charlie Becker she played Indiana, or all the good.
Speaker 6: They have done in the portal too.
Speaker 9: They've also stepped up in terms of paying what's necessary to retain the talent that was either winning national title.
Speaker 2: In the first place, and that talent includes their coordinators. But I think that's also two peeed a part of the selection process which people say, Yeah, it's great to have a bunch of money, We're just going to have a windfall of cash and drop it on players and bring them in. But there is so much more to the strategy here. You have to make sure you bring dudes in they're going to fit the profile of your team, and Kurt Signetti has done that so far in the first two years at an incredible level. I think that's most important here. Sometimes even above the cash you have to spend is who you bring in.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know what Mike Shanahan Brant Haynes have brought in terms of the toughness and systematically and understanding what SIG wants to do, I think is it's off the charts in terms of what those two do from the top down in terms of just kind of building the culture that they want Indiana football to be in. I think it's really important enough too, Like Brian Haynes and Branch like those guys, I mean, Mike Shannan, Brian Hanes like those aren't like new guys, the Kurt Signetti wave thought like they've been around it before. And I think that they came in and like instantly knew what the expectation was going to be and knew that, you know, not winning games like like that wasn't going to be okay. I think that had a lot to do with the reason why they've won so quickly. Now, you know, we'll see how year three goes. And I'll just tell you this right now, we're going to be talking about you know, Mike, Shaneyan and Brian has a lot in the next six months in terms of coaching fair sale, and they might they might be two of the hottest names when it comes to, you know, seeing what job's open and where they fit in.
Speaker 2: And is Pete still with us? Right here? Did Pete and Nacos disappear? He's still on the line, but we lost it who and he was gone, I need more Pete content right here, So Caleb get after that and you let me know what he's back on. That's okay because he was talking about, you know the fact that that I was able to retain coordinators and and you're going to be watching jobs that become open with these coordinators in mind, but there also has been a significant shakeup in the landscape of the Big Ten coaching, most notably in an Arbor and Happy Valley with known guys across college football. So how much will that change? Pete rejoins us now Pete Nacos have on three on the anymore Automotive Group potline. You alluded to the fact that you know the landscape of college coaches. You're going to be watching the coordinators down in Bloomington, but we have seen that change in an Arbor and also with Penn State, with both the Wolverines and the Nitley Lions. How do you think the year number ones in that change will go in both destinations?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't know where I went for thirty seconds, but happy to be backt at Penn State. Super interested to see what Matt Campbell does. I think the vacations are going to be so high and the schedule sets up well for them to win right away. I think my bigger question for Matt Campbell might end up being what's her two look like? Because of all the talent you brought in from Iowa State, I don't think winning games is going to be an issue off of that in State College and then Michigan Kyle Weddingham. It's going to be all about restoring the culture in the tradition that is Michigan football.
Speaker 6: I'm not worried about the talent there either. I think they'll win.
Speaker 9: The biggest question is does Bryce under would take the step that everyone wants him to make this fall, got a new offense coordinator and Jason back. There's some excitement about what that can look like, but similar to how we're talking about Josh Suber, I think we kind of all have to see it on the field before we can really make any final decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny too. Underwood was just you know, it's been handed the keys what you would understand. Sometimes that is really good as we understand it right now, but sometimes that's not the best. Sometimes you do want substantial competition. Do you believe in this year? Number one theory with a new head coach is saying, all right, you're the guy, we're riding on you. I guess it has to be that way, but sometimes that's not the best way to go about it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's kind of how it's going to have to work at some places to be honest with you, right, That's that's the challenge of this transfer portal era of if you only at that one quarterback that you believe can start, whether they're ready or not, you kind of throw them out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, I mean it's such a year to year thing too. Do you think Oregon bounces back because they had everybody thought in the Peach Bowl they'd have something more for IU? After IU beat them during the regular season out out in Eugene. What do you think they have coming back? What do you like about their squad which is also a high dollar nil squad with a great deal of talent on both sides of the football.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, I just said five minutes ago. I'm not going to take against Kurtz signetty. But if there's a team that I would pick over Indiana right now or give it a lot of thought, probably the Oregon.
Speaker 6: I love what they have coming back.
Speaker 9: Dante Moore's arguably the best returning quarterback in college football. I think it's time that Dan Lannon gets a thing done. He's proven year in year out that he can win at Oregon. Now he's got to kind of put it together in the playoffs. We'll see if he can do it this year. I think this roster, it has all the returning talent on paper for them to go deep in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny about Dante Moore. Sometimes the worst moments lead to the best moments, and he had some bad moments late, and you kind of wonder if that learning experience, combined with the talent you're talking about across the board with this Ducks team can lead to something a little bit more certainly than what we even witnessed a year ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a great point.
Speaker 2: So again, Pete Nikos joins us on the Andy Moore Automotive Group podline. Give me some outliers in the Big Ten, some teams that you believe that are able, ready, willing, and able to make some major moves that we're not talking about here at the start.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think Washington has the potential to really be a college football playoff dark course, the fact that the man Williams is back in Washington after an eventful seventy two hours in January where he was.
Speaker 6: Going into portaland then he didn't.
Speaker 9: I like how things look for the Huskies, you know, elsewhere.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I would call them an outlier. You're gonna hear a lot.
Speaker 9: Of buzz about them this week, how USC could make the playoff. I'm sold on the Trojans making the playoffs yet, but I think they're going to be a much improved in a make or break year for Lincoln Riley and USC. I also feel like I can't call this team an outlyer because they're always in it year in, year out. But I think Iowa and Kirk Ference will be relevant yet again. I think that kirk Ference has found ways to continue to build consistent programs.
Speaker 6: At Iowa.
Speaker 9: And then, if I have to give you one more other one, I'm excited about Wisconsin. I think the schedule sets up well for them to win a lot of football games. We'll see how they look in Week one against the notre A team that they're going to play.
Speaker 6: At lambeau Field. That could be ugly, I think.
Speaker 9: But even if Week one doesn't go great, ahead, the schedule sets a blow for them to win some football games. And they invested like double the amount of money or something like that, and this year's roster compared to where it was, They're bringing Colton Joseph, this electric dual threat quarterback from Oldaminion, who, if he can stay stay healthy, I think would be a big bust for Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: So going into year five, you alluded to Lincoln Riley at USC. He's had a lot of talent. The results certainly have not been there. Has this been a rather large disappointment so far for you and others that cover college football.
Speaker 6: I don't know about a disappointment.
Speaker 9: The fact that they haven't made the playoff and he's going into year five, I would probably say is a disappointment for the USC administration. I also think that Lincoln Riley took over at USC during one of the most turbulent times in college football with NIL in the portal, and I know that NIL hasn't exactly gone perfectly at USC.
Speaker 6: They've come along ways, and.
Speaker 9: The money is where it needs to be out of put together the kind of roster they need. I will tell you, though, that this is like make or break like I will not be surprised if they're in the playoffs, and I won't be surprised if we're having a conversation in November about the fact that Lincoln.
Speaker 6: Riley's on the hot seat. It's going to go one, one or two ways.
Speaker 2: It seems like it has to, because you go from Oklahoma to USC you have those expectations, and then I think you look at the back to back to back national titles. You also look at what else is going on within your own league, and that becomes problematic too, right, because then all of a sudden you're I mean, no, it was kind of unforeseen circumstances. I don't think anybody out there felt that they were going to be judged against Kurt Signetti and IU the way that they're being judged against that program of that head coach right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I completely agree with that.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, to say the least, Barry Odom in Purdue. I don't know how much you've talked or thought about Purdue, but obviously we talk about that football program and trying to become re established. Is this a coach in program dynamic that you liked and there is Is there any way that they gather some footing this season in West Lafayette?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Well, you know, I'll start here. I think Barry Odoms the right coach for Purdue football. I think that his makeup fits what people want Purdue football to be. I think that his ideal way of playing football is what I think a successful Purdue football program would look like in terms of its physical great trying to, you know, smash mouth a little bit. At the same time, I think where he stepped in where Ryan Walters left it is very different than where Jeff Brown left it, and I think that that client they get back to where people want pretty.
Speaker 6: Football to be, It's probably going to be a little bit longer than some might want it to be.
Speaker 9: He's done a lot in trying to make sure that resources are where they need to be for pretty Football to put together winning roster. I think that his staff, his general manager did some really diligent work and trying to get aggressive and add experienced players out of the transfer portal. I think the line of scrimmage is going to be better than where it was. All that said, you still got to play football games in the Big Ten.
Speaker 6: So I think they'll be better. I don't know.
Speaker 9: If the record is going to look massively different. I would say that if they make a bowl game this year, I'd say that things have gone.
Speaker 6: Extremely well for Barry otom and that.
Speaker 9: I don't know about a surprise, but I think that'd be a huge one for Barrier of them if they can sweak into a bowl game.
Speaker 2: In closing here, Pete, do you believe in Pat Fitzgerald at Michigan State.
Speaker 6: Yeah, don't have any.
Speaker 9: I think the person and coach that Pat Fitzgerald is, I'm a believer and can win football games in a Big ten. I think that we'll see how things go though, and you're one at Michigan State. He takes in over in a tough situation. I don't think Michigan State is where it needs to be to compete in this era.
Speaker 6: Of college football.
Speaker 9: Pat Fitzgerald is going to work his butt off to try to get it there.
Speaker 6: But that's going to be a slow build.
Speaker 9: That's not gonna be a you know, we look up in November and they're, you know, eight and three or something like.
Speaker 6: It's going to be a few years.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I think I think Pat Fitzgerald is similar to when I say Barry Odin has the make up for Purdue football. I think Pat Fitzgerald is the kind of coach you want in Michigan State.
Speaker 6: I think the reality.
Speaker 9: Here with some of these programs that aren't winning the number of games that their fans want, I think it's probably if you want this thing to be turned around. You're probably going to have to give some of these coaches a little bit longer of a amount of time than.
Speaker 6: You would want.
Speaker 2: Pete Nakos with us before I let you go pizza. On three. This doesn't necessarily have to pertain to the Big Ten, but just your overall thought on the biggest story you have going in Big Ten related or not, just across the college football landscape. What is the biggest deal for you as we get set to enter the season of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 6: Man, that's a big question.
Speaker 9: Let's let's keep the college football, not things off the field. Biggest question is what does Texas do? I think on paper, they're the most talented roster in college football. Can Steve Sarkisian execute it and get it done? I think, you know, I alluded some other you know topics on here about USC and Oregon and things like this. I think that this this Texas roster is so well funded, so elite and talent as great coaches it needs.
Speaker 6: The Longhorns are.
Speaker 9: Not playing deep into the college football play up answering me some really tough questions that people are going to ask, what Texas football for the year.
Speaker 2: All right, Pete Nacos with us on three for the first time on the show. I appreciate that you get a thing you want to direct the people that want to get your content too right now, and we'd love to have you back on again if you have time to.
Speaker 9: Yeah, would love to come on as much as you guys want to have me. You can just find me on on dot com.
Speaker 2: Pete, I appreciate you man. Good storylines here to start this college football season, and thanks for the input. We'll do it again soon, you bet, Thanks so much. Pete Nakos of on three. That is a Caleb Zuover original. Is he of the new era of college football coverage right there?
Speaker 8: I think so at on three is really relevant now because they keep up with all the transfer portal, yeah, recruiting news like and that's never been more relevant than it is right now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, I thought he was great. That is one of the new ones that Caleeb put in the rotation right there.