Speaker 1: Meantime on the Anymore Automotive Group Hootline. You saw him yesterday. He was on fire in the first half, and so were the Hoosiers one hundred and seventy seven over Marquette in Chicago. And he is the new member old school basketball player, but a new member of this Hoosier program. Tucker devrees kind of enough to join us. Now, Hey, Tucker, thank you very much for the time. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm fired up to have you on the show because I love hoop and I love watching great shooters shoot. And you had one hell of an afternoon yesterday in Chicago. I think from the first point on, do you know anytime during warm ups or maybe with that first shot going down, that this may be your afternoon or evening if you will, like it was yesterday for you.
Speaker 2: Not really, I mean after the first one or two go in, and obviously it gives a lot of confidence for the next few but you know, just trying to stay part of the course. And uh, you know, they just happened to be going down yesterday.
Speaker 1: How often do you work on and you know, obviously people think about the shot, Tucker in general, and it just going down. But the mechanics of the shot yours seems to be as smooth as anybody we see. How often do you work just on the mechanics alone of getting that shot off and feeling comfortable and then seeing that positive result.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, you know, a lot of it just comes down to reps and you know, being confident in the work that you put in, you know, every day, just working on different ways to get shots off and uh, you know, finding ways to get open even without the ball. But I thought yesterday the team did a great job of you know, uh, finding the hot hand and happened to me in the first half, and then Lamar in the second half. I thought was really good for for our offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good to see too, because you know, they they made a clear adjustment at the half, and then you know, Lamar steps up as you mentioned in the second half, and then you know has his moment as well. What's the old Indiana basketball experience been like for you so far? Not just I you in general, but the state of basketball and obviously our love here in the state. How has that been in your short time in Indiana?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's been great. It's obviously awesome to be able to play in front of such a passionate fan base, and I think that showed yesterday and in our first home game, and just how much they embrace Indiana basketball. And I know we're we're extremely excited to you know, keep it going and play again on Wednesday in front of you know, hopefully another great crowd, and just continue the success and you know, make this fan base proud of what it's like to be at Indiana basketball.
Speaker 1: As you mentioned, you get Milwaukee coming up on Wednesday, and Tucker Devrees is joining us on the Andy Morro Automotive Group hootline. You guys, and I know Shaka Smart, Marquette's coach, remarked about this after the game. You guys look really in tune in cohesion with one another, even though it's been a short time and everybody is all new on this team. Were you surprised that you guys were that connected in a game like that yesterday because it looked like you guys have been together for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I wasn't really surprised yesterday, but I think a little bit surprising how quickly it happened throughout the fall I think, you know, probably a month before the season when things really started to click, especially offensively, of just everybody really knowing how to play together. We have an extremely unselfish group, which makes it, you know, really hard to guard when everybody's sharing the ball, moving without the basketball, and screening for one another, which I think is what makes our offense so dynamic. And then just the floor spacing of what we have for opens up driving lanes for everybody one through five, which is also unique for our offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ball pops. The ball really, Tucker, I'm sorry to interrupt. The ball pops too. And normally, normally when you when your first timers or a short time or with one another, there's a tendency to have the ball stick right in somebody trying to find their comfort area and you know, something off the dribble. But the ball popped, I thought, as about as well as you could ask for it this early in the season yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think especially with the way Marquette plays their style of defense of you know a lot of pressure and you know, trying to turn turn you over, I thought it was important for us if we could just you know, kind of break that initial pressure and get them move in a little bit and use it against them a little bit more to get you know, great shots after handling that initial pressure was very important. I thought we did a great job of that yesterday and I think the results showed for that.
Speaker 1: He is Tucker devrees with us. How's the experience been, whether we're talking about Drake or at West Virginia or now at Indiana playing for your father.
Speaker 2: That's been good. Obviously there's good days and bad days, but you know, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I think it's been a great experience for both of us to be able to experience, you know, my career together and just kind of the steps that it's taken for both of us to get to this point and being able to experience those together is then really special.
Speaker 1: I always thought it may take a little extra I don't know, You've got to soak up a lot, don't you. I mean, because you never, really, truly, I'm assuming, get away from it. And that's why I think it's a lot different for you. So you almost have to be built a little bit different to be I think the son playing for the father, especially at this level, is that how it's been for you at three stops.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I think it's I mean, obviously basketball is a big part of my life, so I mean it consumes a lot of my attention, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I think it's you just got to kind of embrace embrace it, embrace the expectations and just take a head on and know that you put in a lot of work to get to this point and just go out there and showed it every night.
Speaker 1: Tucker, what do you think ultimately the ceiling is for this team or would you allow yourself even describe a ceiling as such this early in the season.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's a pinpointed ceiling. I think, you know, to be honest, I thought we played all right yesterday, but there's just so much more after watching the game that we're capable of getting better at. And I think with that being said and having the results that we've had, I think that's, you know, a good feeling to have to know that there's so much more potential to tap into for this team. And I think every day, as long as we're continuing to try and get to that point, I think it's gonna result in a lot of good things this.
Speaker 1: Year, Tucker, give us a couple of things that you guys have to improve upon, because really a lot of people see the way you shot it. You know, I mentioned that the ball movement, the cohesion, and then you know, getting to the century mark and winning going away. But what are some of the things that stood out to you that you have to improve upon coming off of that win yesterday day?
Speaker 2: I'd say defensively, I mean, it's pretty easy to point out the fouls, but uh, to be honest, I think it's more our cohesiveness on defense and just you know, being in the right spots more of the time, and especially a team like yesterday where they're they're really trying to put their head down, and I mean it's what they're good at. They're they're good at drawing fouls, getting in the paint. But I think as a group, if we can you know, really tone in and be build that chemistry on defense throughout the year, I think that that's going to be a big part of us reaching our you know, full potential. And then offensively, I think if we're able to you know, continue to move it the way we're moving it and get the ball movement and I think we have enough guys that can make a lot of shots that it's gonna be really hard for teams to to reguard that he.
Speaker 1: Has tuck a Devrees twenty seven points in the win you over Marquette yesterday. He's on the Dymore Automotive Group potline. You know what's funny, we go back a couple of years. Even though you don't know this, I'm an Indiana State guy, so there I was baseline two years ago the MVC Arch Madness Championship and you're going off for what twenty seven and seven? And the thing that stood out to me for the team that you were a part of, you and your dad at Drake was the connection. And I thought that you were the one of the most connected teams that I had seen all season.
Speaker 2: Law.
Speaker 1: It was like you were just like the sum of all your parts, you know, kind of unified right there? Is that the ultimate compliment in this team sport is when you look like you did then? And is that what you strive to do with this group and year number one at Indiana, Yeah.
Speaker 2: For sure. I mean there's no better feeling than you know, all five guys being on the same page, super connected, and just helping each other out and kind of like I said before, it's more of the chemistry on defense that it can take some time to build. And I think that that year at Drake throughout the year, at beginning of the year, we weren't great defensively, and then by the end of the year, I think we ended up, you know, one of the best best defensive teams in the country, and I think throughout this year that's going to be key for us to continue to get better on that end. And I think there's a lot of a lot of tools that we have on this team that are able to get to that point. So hopefully we're able to get there. And I think that that parts something people maybe not realize as much as the chemistry on defense as it is on offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like I put it to this and I'm not making comparisons to that team or this team or any team of the NBA, but that's what it felt like with the Pacers, for example, at the NBA level last year. I mean these guys, I mean you have the super scouting going on right now where they know you're every move and what you're going to do, and anticipate it you know, weeks in advance and prepare for it. But I think if you guys are connected in a group like one, it is really hard to scout that and to defend that. And I thought we saw that with the Pacers, and that's a special brand of basketball to me. And I saw that with your Drake team two years ago as you guys won the MVC. And I'm assuming that's as a basketball player what you strive for in the whole team concept.
Speaker 2: Is that fair? Yeah, I think anytime you can have all five guys on the same page on both ends of the floor, it's going to result in a lot of good things. So I think as time goes, we're we're going to continue to build that chemistry on both ends and continue to play at a high level. So hopefully that can lead to the results we're striving for.
Speaker 1: He is Tucker devrees with us. So how's the enjoyment wise watching what this football program is doing in Bloomington right now?
Speaker 2: For you? I mean it's awesome. It's been fun to you know, go to a lot of their games here, you know, and see the success they've had has been great for you know, just the campus of the town and you can just see the fan base and the town rally around them, and that's you know, been really special looking forward to, you know, seeing them finish off the year and do special things because it's it's been a lot of fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's funny, right man, When you have success in sports, it just everybody feels good, even if it's a chore in what you're doing, it feels good with that chore, does it not? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, it's uh, winning solves a lot of problems, it does.
Speaker 1: Tucker Dvrees he joins us. How you like Bloomington in the campus dot at Value?
Speaker 2: It's been great? Uh, you know, it's been a lot of fun to be a part of. And you know see the fan base, the student body rally around you know, both us and the football team and all the sports. It has been really cool to have their support. And uh, I've really enjoyed my time here.
Speaker 1: It's Tucker Debrees kind enough to join us. Are they anymore automotive group polo yet? How you gets Milwaukee coming up on Wednesday? And uh, I believe increditt word coming up after that. But a win yesterday in Chicago over Marquette and Tucker is on the Anymore Automotive Group pot line. Man, I've been wanting to talk to you for a long time. Indiana State guy right there on the baseline two years ago, and you break my heart then. But it's certainly enjoyable to watch you be a part of this how's your program? And uh and uh and shoot it and play in that team basketball fashion. It was fun as hell to watch yesterday. Congratulations on that and keep moving that arrow up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I appreciate that. Thank you very much.