Speaker 1: The ride with JMV. This is how I eat corner of the cob. I boil it, I go shirtless out of my back deck, eat it like I ravage it, and then throw the cob out into the back forty that he three five and one oh seven five the fan Here he is off the turn four.
Speaker 2: It's time time in Indy.
Speaker 1: Corey Heim gonna win the brickyard four.
Speaker 3: Hundred TNT on the broadcast yesterday.
Speaker 1: That was that TNT? Was that ours? Right there? I'm sorry that was ours?
Speaker 4: T right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Wasn't?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Okay? I want to make sure I get that one right. I will say I think the call for both they were both better than the actual race. Right there, Heim Time, corey Heim, your winner. Gene Simmons Top of the hour, Steven Holder, the start of Colt's camp, Daniel Jones the clearance. Now getting cleared to go is one thing, but up to speed. Hey, listen, I'm rocking the good news today, so we'll rock the good news regarding Daniel Jones. The Stephen Holder coming up and his questions to start the season, which, just like most of us, are many. Steven Holder coming up at the five o'clock hour. But on the end of Moore at the body of group potline it is our friend from Fox and then some Kevin Lee is with us. Hey, keV, is there any ideas that you have that could get more people out there and didn't have the optics that we saw yesterday at IMS regarding that Brickyard four hundred or is it just always going to be, at least until further notice a struggle in that capacity.
Speaker 5: So I think there are several perspectives and paths to looking at this, and this can be seen as spin, but it is the truth that the number of people there is still higher than most of the NASCAR races and most sporting events. You know, I don't know what it was, fifty seventy thousand, somewhere in that range. That's still a pretty good crowd. This is a very unique venue though that it's just so massive, and if it wasn't for the popularity of the Indianapolis five hundred, they would have taken seats out of this place like they did at Daytona and like they've done at many other tracks as well, just for the optics. So I think you have to approach it with reality, and the reality is if you're the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. You want this event. You need this event because of the guaranteed revenue that comes from the television contract. So the discussion is going to be on the NASCAR side of things. Do the optics become too much of a talking point? I actually thought the crowd was okay yesterday. Saturday is the one that was more jarring. But the Saturday races with the O'Reilly series don't often have that many people in the stands. You know, there were five ten times more people it seemed at Raceway Park on Friday night for the truck race, it was packed. That's probably twenty five or thirty thousand. I don't know what was there on Saturday. Back to your question, to get more people there, the racing would have to improve. That's going to be hard to do. That's always been more of a processional race. It's about the significance of the prestige of it. And you know, the NASCAR insiders would be able to explain the package, the arrow package more, but this is a challenging place. So I think you just have to understand that this is going to be more of a strategy race. I do wonder if if the stage racing takes out some different options, but it does also guarantee you of some cautions and restarts, and those portions of the race we're entertaining every restart. You saw some side by side racing. The longer it goes on, though, the more processional becomes, and it was very difficult to pass. So I wish it was a little bit better. I wish it was packed like it used to be. But a lot of things have changed in the last fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Good and IMS has been really proactive and good about this of trying to add different things for different generationally speaking ages to enjoy. And that's why I mentioned this a little bit earlier. You get a ton of kids out there watching ZED and not paying attention to the race going on, and then you get in the stands, people say, what the hell's going on over there with those ton of kids watching ZED while they're concentrating on the race. I think that they have done a tremendous job, and certainly since the one hundredth the five hundred, which has always been great, but it seems like now it is even more of a destination, which so overshadows what we witnessed regardless of what you maybe thought was an uptick in fans out there yesterday. Optically speaking, that is always going to be incredibly difficult for anybody out that'll overcome.
Speaker 4: And it's a.
Speaker 5: Challenging date as well. Now the weather was it was hot yesterday, but it's usually hotter than this, so that's always going to be difficult. And they've tried the race in September, it's been in August, it's been in all different times of the year.
Speaker 1: Did you put it a week after the five hundred end? Help?
Speaker 5: Now, I don't think anybody, at least the people that run racetracks never want that. That's part of the scheduling challenge that IndyCar faces when they want to go anywhere where there is a NASCAR event, is they want it spread out a month or so. Part of it is just the effort that it takes and the round the clock work that goes into putting on a race event. To do it back to back with the same staff would be very difficult, and just logic says, you know, it's a bit of it's a bit of work. It's a commitment to go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for an event that has more than seventy five thousand people, and I don't think your chances are very good of doing that on back to back races. I think spreading it out as far as you can get is better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know if you could take advantage of the enthusiasm, you know, right after the five hundred of people always just wanted to be out there more and maybe take advantage of that.
Speaker 5: People would say that the people that have done the studies that say that's probably not going to go very well. You're going to have people choose between one or the other, and it might hurt the Indy five hundred too. Now you might get a combined total number. Maybe that's better than what you have now from the built in promotion. But I think logic and other people that run tracks as promoters say that you want your events spread out. I just know this. I've been to places before where one one motorsport was at a track. For example, I was at midd Ohio one year for a NASCAR Xfinity race did great because it was their big, first big race of the year. The next year it was two weeks after the IndyCar race and it was sparse, so I think you want to be the first one. You don't want to do anything that takes away from the Indy five hundred, and then you want to make this event stand up on its own. They tried the road course, and I actually would probably prefer that. I think the racing was more entertaining. NASCAR racing on road courses is really good. But I also come from a background, or at least I like road racing. Not everyone in NASCAR enjoys that, and the drivers were the main force of getting a move back to the oval.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Their point was, and they're not wrong, is if we're going to race at Indianapolis, what makes this play special is it's where Raynron one in nineteen eleven. We want to be on that track, not something that's different. So I get that. I don't think this is a failure. I think you still look at the number of people here is more than you get for most other weekends, and a lot of cases it's twice as much. It's probably two and a half times more than they had a North Wilkesboro a couple of weeks ago. It's just the fact that the place is so big, so we're going to have to get around that. Now you mentioned concerts, maybe you can do something I've said, yeah, to really pump up the event. Another challenge is race day. It's one race. It's one event, and a lot of race fans are used to going somewhere where there are support races on the same day. So that's a lot to do to come out there and be hot and only see one thing. Now, NASCAR races are long enough that they kind of stand on their own as far as races are concerned, So I don't have an easy answer for that. But I just know this from the perspective of someone that wants the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to do well. I don't want this race going away. It is a very important part of their economic footprint.
Speaker 1: I completely yearie with that too, and I feel bad. One of my worst takes of all time was wanting to see when I joined in with a lot of other folks around here and said, hey, F one, don't let the going out hit you with a good Lord splitcher, because I wish that was still around. Even if I don't give two craps about F one, I wish you were still heredy too.
Speaker 5: It's the racing capital of the world, and I think what adds to that? Now you have the biggest race in the world, so it would still have a massive amount of significance. But I like the fact that Moto GP was here, even though I'm not particularly a Moto GP fan. The Formula One was here, that ims the sports cars are here. I want to see as many different big time motorsports events as we can, and NASCAR is the biggest form of motorsports in America, so you want to have that as a part of your schedule throughout the year.
Speaker 1: So Kevin Lee of course covers Indy Car. They've got another week plus before they get back at it. Coming up in Portland, I believe, is next up on the schedule. Kev's on the Andy Morrot mon If Group hotline. Carson Quoppole on Saturday was the winner and then unfortunately to have burn out over the yard of bricks and everybody was up in arms. I thought that more so than anything else, mistake whatever, it would have been a magical pr moment and he would have gained fans around here hand over fist had he somebody told him, hey, once you go down there, grab a wire brush and help these guys out. After that win, Hey, I made a mistake, you know what I mean? Why don't we think about that? Does that sound too far fetched? Because really it was just a support race. Who the hell cares? I mean no, that was about the equivalent of one of the tour buses, like doing a burnout of the yard of bricks. I mean, nobody really cares. But man, that would have been a moment to grow your fan base had somebody thought about what I've What I've.
Speaker 5: Not scene because I don't follow Carson Koppol on social media, is whether he has apologized for this. His team owner Dailer and Hard Junior has, So I'm willing to cut the kids some slack. I know they say this to the driver's meetings, but I also know the drivers don't.
Speaker 1: Pay attention to the driver's Sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he had unplugged his radio. So this is the kid's first win. This is the biggest moment of his life, and I'm gonna now he made a mistake and he's gonna need to apologize for that. But I don't think we should cancel him for this. It doesn't mean he's a bad kid or anything else. I don't know a thing about him. I know Justin Allgeyer did it one time too, and I do know Justin Allgeier, and I think really highly of him, and I think it just slipped his mind. And I know Justin Allgeyer has a lot of respect.
Speaker 1: Illis five.
Speaker 5: He's whenever I see him, he always asked me about what's going on in IndyCar. You know, he's a race fan. Most of these drivers are race fans. So it's okay to say, yeah, that was that was a bad move, and we're not happy about it. But I don't think that you have to ban this young driver from your list of favorites for the rest of his life just simply because of that. I'm going to take him at his word, or at least Junior's word that he just wasn't thinking about and got a little bit overwhelmed. Hey, doesn't mean we're gonna like it. And I am of the belief that you do need to respect the bricks a little bit. So they will continue to try to spread the word and make sure because that's the thing. It's he's not been in this race before. It's a different group of people every year, So just because you said it last year doesn't mean they're going to remember it. Next year, they're going to be twelve more drivers that have never raced in this race before.
Speaker 1: keV a really good and I'm sure this is not the highest of levels for PR in that particular series. However, a good PR person that's savvy driver's suit right down there with a wire brush and quoppole would have gained He would have earned all these indy car fans that have no idea who this duty is other than that particular moment in his life. Unfortunately, we live in a world where a lot of PR people are knuckleheads or don't get paid enough to jack around with it, or just kind of you know, leading their particular person around and that's about it. But yeah, any savvy person could have come up with that, and I think really built off of what was was not a great moment for a very young kid after a win and.
Speaker 5: At the time, I don't know how quickly they started scrubbing the bricks there, but he's still likely going through all of the requirements that he has to do for press conferences and everything along with that. But no, that would have been a smart move by PR to get him out there and get him involved in that or at least at some point come out there and you know, apologize to everyone. I really did want you, because I think if you walked out there, they would have all said, no, I'm not gonna make you get down on your knees and scrub here. Right now, we're getting paid overtime to do this, but we appreciate the thought, but yeah, that would have been savvy.
Speaker 1: All right. We got Jackson Lee California Closets Race coming up anytime soon. Tuck Series will we got.
Speaker 5: So he's at VIR Virginia International now working the skid barber theories as an instructor, and we've worked out a deal where they're going to give us some track time, so they're working on next year already. So his team is bringing the NASCAR truck there on Thursday and they're going to try to develop the car for the road courses. So there are no more road courses this season, and that's what he's done. He might do the Phoenix Race which is in October, to kind of try things out on an oval and see how that goes. And then we're still hoping to be able to We're talking to a couple of different teams and seeing who has cars that haven't been crashed too much to on the MSA race at Indianapolis and either GT four or in Lamborghini Super Trapail. So that's coming up in mid September. He's not quite done yet. And then he's doing he's doing a prototype race at Watkins Glenn this weekend and more of a club level series where he's coaching some guys and driving with them.
Speaker 1: Got to give a shout out to Marcus Hall too, by the way, while we're at it, you and I both a little California closet.
Speaker 5: Actually California Closets and Browning Chapman and the IU Cancer Center are why the young man has a job now, although he's not we've not really been able to pair off any revenue for him at this point, but elite he's he's getting to drive, and then through that he's getting paid to coach, so that's how he makes his living. At this point, he's moving out of the house.
Speaker 1: So well, moving out, all right, got enough?
Speaker 5: I told him, I said, you're never home, you're home four days a month. You're going to be the best roommate ever. But now that means the experiment and the investment we've made is working out. He's gainfully employed. Well done, and gets to do things like drive lots of cool race cars.
Speaker 1: Well done. Well, give him my best and marches to the gang at the California clause. It's always awesome, Kaylee. I appreciate you. Man. Get back in touch when the season resumes here surely, Okay.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Anyone anyone has a project, let us know. We've got a little discount code available for California clause.
Speaker 1: Well, tell them all about to give him the discount code really quick.
Speaker 5: Well, just basically I need to connect you. But it's ten percent off any project, whether it be a closet or a garage or off of space or whatever the case. So they can get either me or you on Twitter and we'll connect them with Marcus at California Closets and we'll get something done for him.
Speaker 1: We absolutely will, Kaylee. Thanks Pal, all right, thanks John Kevin Lee a fox on the Andy Moron aboutive group potline. This is the ride with JMV I JMV. Thank you for joining us. And we've got a Hall of Famer rock Icon who has been a part of the show before, has spent many an evening entertaining us here in Indianapolis. He was in charge of the creation of the song I Am Indie back in the day as well. He's going to be at the Indiana State Fair August the twentieth. Of course, I am talking about Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Songwriting Hall of Famer. The iconic Gene Simmons joins us, Hello, Jean, how are you this afternoon?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 4: What a build up. I feel much better. Thanks.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't even write that. That was off the top of my head. Do you believe it? No, because I've grown up with you. I mean, you're like you're like my my rock and uncle right here.
Speaker 4: I serious appreciate. Don't don't leave out the Hollywood star Walk of Fame and the Kennedy Center and Kennedy Center Honors Man. That was a treat because we was sitting there next to the President and the first Lady and we're just talking just about stuff. I knew the President before he became political in New York, you know, just socially. But at any rate, we're talking while on stage, Garth Brooks is singing shouted out loud and cheap trick is there? I mean, there was a real amazing event really and coming, you know, and this from a perspective of an eight and a half year old kid who came from another country to America. And you know, you hear about the land of plenty and the American dream. Let me tell you something. I am living proof that the American dream isn't just alive, it's alive.
Speaker 1: And well, well you showed the way really, and this is why Gene I bring this up. Where would you place if you do it? All the comparison between all that you see surrounding Taylor Swift, I mean, the the global phenomenon compared to you and the kiss army that we knew.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a sim in America of the people, for the people, by the people. When you come from the loins of the people and you rise through the American dream if you have the gumption, the wherewithal the stick, touitiveness, the you know, just the idea that you're going to work harder than the person next to you. The heights are there to be climbed, and it may as well be you. Taylor came from nowhere, worked harder than you and I did, and scale the heights. And good for her girl power I'm all for it. She's the biggest tickets selling music or political person that's ever existed on the planet. She drew more people to shows than the Pope. Now, having said that, Kiss hasn't done badly either. We broke records, attendance records by Elvis and the Beatles and stuff. Well, we did fine. But the the thing you wind up learning is that it isn't all about you. That reaching the top of Mount Olympus isn't just for one person. That is room up there for I mean, if you dare reach for the sky, this room up there for champions. That's plural.
Speaker 1: Gene Simmons, who's going to be at the State Fair coming up on August the twentieth. We'll get into that in just a second. You said this, right, Yeah, Elvis in the fifties, and obviously there are lasting effects for each decade here, but I'm just going decade to decade. Elvis, the Beatles, Kiss in the seventies, and obviously if you fast forward to Taylor Swift, it is amazing too. And I always wanted to ask you with the Kiss Army because it's invention. That term started in Terre Haute, Indiana. How important was that as well to coincide with you and your iconic group to its rise of fame.
Speaker 4: It was at the beginning of the band nineteen seventy five. We started nineteen seventy four New Year's Eve. And by the way, in terms of Taylor, her guitar player, John Is, you know, grew up cutting his teeth, learned to play guitar, playing kiss TEMs. And if you go to YouTube and look up Taylor Swift Kiss Band, you'll see the entire band, including Taylor in kiss makeup, coming to coming out to join Keith Urban to sing one of his songs. But the entire band is in kiss makeup, and then the rest of the road crew come out in candy kisses, you know, the Hershey's candy kisses. Yeah, I mean it was a real hoop. You know, the thing that happens when you love the sound of your own voice is you can't remember the damn question.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, it's about the significance of the kiss Army. The reason why I bring that up is because it originated the term did in Tarrehouade, Indiana, Right.
Speaker 4: It did. Indeed, it happened in Tera Hokee. As a matter of fact, the home of the George family that gave me a shot at being the head of marketing for IndyCar. I'm the guy that changed it from the IRL to IndyCar and wrote the song I Am Indy because I love the way I feel when I get behind the wheel. I am Indy. At any rate, there was a fan there his name is Starkey, who called the local radio station in nineteen seventy five early, you guys aren't playing my favorite band, Kiss, and the radio station basically said, no, we don't, we don't play that band. Here he goes, no, no, you should play that band. He starts to quote semi threaten verbally you better play a Kiss, and they're going no, we're not going to do it. He said, well at five o'clock today, by that time, if you don't play them. In essence, the words went, the Kiss army will surround your small radio station outside of town. And radio station didn't play it. What happened Thousands of Kiss fans surrounded this little, you know, one room broadcast center outside of town, and then the headline of the newspapers the next day was Kiss Army invades you know w k RP. It was unbelievable, and so the name the Kiss Army stuck. The fans started to call themselves that based on that event that started in Terre Haute.
Speaker 1: I still have the patch, the original patch back in the day, because you give kiddy. Yeah, I have so much. The one thing that I don't have, and I'm assuming you have a lot the pinball machine. I need the pinball machine.
Speaker 4: Jane, Well, there are two versions. One is the original from the seventies. Thirty five million dollars worth of pinball machines were sold that first year. I mean it was a big, big thing. And then he's brought out the newest generation. I don't know about ten years ago, but you can go on YouTube or someplace and find them. They're available. You'll have to pay a pretty penny, sure, but they're still out there.
Speaker 1: I have your lunch box too.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, Kiss is a very strange phenomenon. I mean I was as it was going on, my jaw was dropping at the astonishing amounts of licensing and merchandising. It was just beyond anything anybody had ever done other than Disney. So we were like Disney without the overhead. We had everything from Kiss condoms to kiss caskets. I meant, we got you coming and going.
Speaker 1: Gess with us. He's going to be with us again coming up on August at twentieth actually right here at the Indiana State Fair. Was there ever something that you wish you would have done marketing wise with the band to take advantage that you didn't And also, I guess reverse that up. Was there something that you did do that you wish you hadn't?
Speaker 4: Well it continues now we are now partnered with a company called Pomphouse that is working on our makeup and you know, the iconic branding and stuff. So they're going to be everything from movies in factward at the casting stage of a film, cartoon, show, theme parks. I mean, it's nuts. It's really going great. If you're ever going to be in Las Vegas, I'd recommend you stop by at the real hotel. My collection, most of it anyway, is at kit World, and your jaw dropped me at least a thousand items there. You'll have to spend days just to take all that stuff in. Yeah, it's quite right. If you say, if you save the American dream, I'm telling you coming here is an eighteen as an eight and a half year old legal immigrant. You have to stress legal because we waited years in line with my mother. It it The words just don't describe it anybody anywhere, at any time. If you put in the work, there are no limitations. The biggest stars in the world, the richest people in the world, they're in America. It's just there's no limit as long as you're willing to put in the time and the work.
Speaker 1: I was a part, not apart with you guys, but I was in the building at the field House. Your final show here in Indy with the band Kiss was now maybe three years ago something like that, in November, I think it was. You had these big inflatables of all you guys there, you know, you and ploy whatever happened. I think they were inflatables, right, those things that you carried from concert venue to concert venue. Do you still have those simplace.
Speaker 4: Oh, they're not inflatables, they're real giant.
Speaker 1: That's the turn. Somebody told me they're in flatables.
Speaker 4: They walked out of the concert. They're all forty oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, now I know where you're going. Come on now, I'm not as bright as you like. I'll take you for your word you have.
Speaker 4: We have warehouses full of that stuff that.
Speaker 1: How can a guys see that? Could I ever see that? Would you allow that?
Speaker 4: What do you have in mind? Will?
Speaker 1: What? What strings could you pull?
Speaker 4: Well? I have to warn you I'm straight.
Speaker 1: No, I don't mean that. I mean just in general. Hey, longtime fan, generational fan right here, I sure as hell would love to see it.
Speaker 4: What do you think I've never had that request from anybody. It's happened more times. It's a big, big number.
Speaker 1: You know, you've been on the show a number of times. You know, you call me once from Finland. True story?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, and then what happened?
Speaker 1: No, we had a healthy conversation while you were in Finland.
Speaker 4: I think that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always good because listen, you and I are in lockstep.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: You talked about your fans, you had global fans, and I am among those that were your largest back then.
Speaker 4: As far as well, you're very into, You're very you're very kind, and if you ever meet celebrities of any kind that forget that. Were it not for the fans who are ultimately and invariably to use big words like gymnasium, they're the bosses. And if you start to believe your own hype, were it not for the fans, you'd be asking the next person in line, would you like some fries with that? And by the way, there's nothing wrong with that either. Just you know, the work ethic is what it's about that you have to recognize that all your power you you're you're on the radio, you've got millions of fans, you've got zillions of dollars in your pocket, but that's all due to the folks listening to you. They are your power, and you cannot mistreat the fans. They're the bosses. That's where it begins and ends.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that up because that's my favorite thing to do, is to go out and do live shows with people that come out with me, just like you're going to do on the twentieth of August at the Indiana State So what what's.
Speaker 4: A party if you're the only one there?
Speaker 5: Come on.
Speaker 4: But the amazing thing about this idea of the fans and the people in elections and everything goes to the heart of what America is all about, of the people, for the people, by the people. The politicians, the rock stars and you know, all the people that scale the heights come from the loins of the people of the United States. They're not born kings and queens and all that the way they do in Europe and other parts of the world. Our leaders are people who scale the heights, come from the people, which is why you should never forget where you come from.
Speaker 1: Hey, I get a quick question for you, because there is why I never touched her. You mentioned loins now twice in our conversation. Could you ever work the word loins into a kiss song, into a lyric? How would you do it? Yeah, because you're You're a songwriting Hall of Famer and I'm just expecting you to turn this around like lickety right here. Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, I can't pick on it. But one of the reasons I use fancy words, you know, like self aggrandizement and other big words. That's amazing. I used to be a sixth grade teacher, Yes, and I tried. I tried hard to you know, light the fire in the belly of these little kids once. Once you have that fire of inquisitiveness, then you'll continue to learn your whole life. And there used to be a great thing in newspapers there used to be words of the day. It was a wonderful idea. So a new word every day was a little corner in a box and it would tell you here's the word, and then here's what it means. And by the way, if you if you saw that stuff in a year, you'd learn three hundred and sixty five new words every years. Those are a lot of words.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean things have changed, and you have been one that has adapted. When you think about it, I said your generational. What you are certainly along with your band too, Paul is generational as well. I'm thinking about this. How difficult has it been? Because it seems like in the last twenty plus years the things have changed on a dime, and I mean with a quick pace, much quicker than the decades prior to. How have you stayed on top of things? With that?
Speaker 4: In my gene, I think you've got to be flexible. The world doesn't stand up and tap dance to your whims. The esthetics have changed dramatically, and some of it I think works, and some of it I think is very extreme. Everybody should have the right to aspire and job opportunities and be treated nicely and so on. But none of us want to have your particular point of view, whether it's religious or gender or anything like that pushed in our faces, you know. But you should have the right to be whoever you want to be, worship who you want to worship. You know, it's nobody's business. But try not to be an a hole about it and torture people by coming up to their faces and telling them that your way of life is the only way.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 4: And by the way, the rest of the people can respect your way and not recognize that it's legitimate. But if it's good for you, great. The French have a phrase called laissez fair live and let live.
Speaker 1: I am Andy. I think we talked about this before you were a part of IndyCar in the creation of that song, that positioning statement back in the day al board more that.
Speaker 4: More than that, I was brought on to try to increase the penetration, as they say, of the i r L, which was the Indie Racing League, into general pop culture because twenty year olds, you know, just it was not part of their patois. Hey man, let's go to the races. Twenty year olds don't say that, And that's because what I wanted to do was to bring in the Kardashians to gentlemen, start your engines with the flag and you know, like all all that stuff to bring pop culture in. I brought in Carmelo Anthony to have his own car. It was the car Mellow get it, I got it. You try to combine basketball fans with indie fans, and I thought the I R L well was the wrong kind of branding, even though it had been around for ninety two years. I thought it sounded like a communicable disease. Gee, I have irl J.
Speaker 1: And that's that's why they changed it pretty quickly Chang.
Speaker 4: Because I was an a hole and I kept torturing them. The only thing that resonated around the world was the Indy five hundred. Even if you didn't know what it was, it sounded cool indy, like independent or individual. I said, there's your core word, there's your co word, indied. Nobody knows what the five hundred means unless you're a racer and so on. It's a car. You're in car, so indie car, and that's where that came from. And then I said, you guys don't have a theme song. You know you can you can have a burger chain and they can have a theme song, but welcome you don't. So I sat down and wrote I am Indy because I love the way I feel when I get behind the wheel. I am Indy. And by the way, I is all races, all religions, all sexes. And even though they them's anything you are, it.
Speaker 1: Could be Indianapolis, Indianapolis, I in Indianapolis, am.
Speaker 4: Indy all that the I love India, all that stuff, or I am Indianapolis. That all came from me, babe. All the cities in the world noticed that it worked. So when we toured the year after, we toured Spain and I noticed billboards that I am Barcelona, and then the Football League said I am the NFL. Yeah, they all took it. Once something works, it works for everything and everybody.
Speaker 1: Detroit Rock City is my favorite song with you guys, I should say most noted song for me. My favorite songs Hotter than Hell? Where's Hotter than Hell? Rank for Eugene.
Speaker 4: Well was at the beginning, songs aren't just songs.
Speaker 1: It's wrong. I think that's raw. To me, it felt raw.
Speaker 4: I liked it. It is it is, but it's also songs. Are the soundtrack of your life. You don't just remember a song. You remember how old you were, where you were, what was going on in your life. That's the magic of songs. And when they resonate, you don't just remember the song to sing along. You remember where you were, who you were with. That's the magic of music. So yeah, for me, of course, all that resident because I was there for all of it and I am there. But you know, there are new songs. In fact, Kiss went into the studio and recorded a new song which I'm not allowed to talk about just yet.
Speaker 1: I think you should though.
Speaker 4: It'll it'll come out soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair, that's fair, Okay, Well you got hey, will you guys? Will you guys? And you're coming listen and I want to come out and see you on Thursday, the twentieth of Vaugus. I hope you don't mind like way that in say, hey, remember talking.
Speaker 4: To me, Well, why don't you get your pretty butt in the front of the stage. Yes, and I'll pull and I'll pull you up so you can sing with us.
Speaker 1: I think that's a hell of an idea. You got right there, Gene. Why don't we do that? Let's execute this plan that you've come up with. You're really good at come up with plans. Let's execute this.
Speaker 4: I'd be my pleasure. I would only recommend to leave the big flat red shoes and the red nose and the Seltzer bottle at home, I promise, and kind of dress up, you know, if you want to be on stage with rock stars, so.
Speaker 1: Our cargo shorts out, because that's that's kind of my repertoire clothing wise.
Speaker 4: That's a little gay, jeez, it's just with us.
Speaker 1: I do have one final thing I have to ask you, because everybody will so completely retired and done with Kiss or might there be because you've mentioned new music coming out, We've got to wait on that.
Speaker 4: Kiss Kiss kisses going into what happens with caterpillars. You go into the cocoon, but what comes out has wings and goes in places where the band has never gone before. So that's what's going on. A Kiss Pophouse is launching us into areas that we've never done before, including movies, cartoons, shows, theme parks, all that kind of stuff. You'll see, all right.
Speaker 1: I just want to know if you guys are going to get back together one more time, because I thought what I saw you in Indy. That was the last time at Indy.
Speaker 4: But I'm you know, I want it's the band. We'll fall on myself and makeup and stuff. We're not allowed to do that. But in November in Las Vegas, we do have the Kiss Cruise where without makeup, we'll be doing unplugged. We'll be showing there's a secret thing that's that will blow your mind that we're going to show the fans there. And when the fans come over there, we take over the entire I think it's going to be at the Virgin Hotel, so every room is taken over by the fans. It's a real hoot. It's a three day event. Kiss Cruise November, Las Vegas, all right, And.
Speaker 1: Then on the twentieth of August at the Indiana State Fair. You're gonna be there and I'm gonna be up in the front row and I'm gonna come up on stage. We're gonna sing something cool.
Speaker 4: Hold up, you know, hold up a sign, make it easy.
Speaker 1: Hey, remember this guy you called me from Finland once as well? It'll be on my side.
Speaker 4: The question is what did I call you exactly?
Speaker 1: It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: For calling in and I can't wait to see you coming up in August August the twentieth.
Speaker 4: Okay, you bet see that.
Speaker 1: Gene Simmons on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potlined as usual an incredibly interesting conversation. But meantime on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline, here he is. The summertime has officially ended. No more poping open the water plug or anything. It is all over for Steven Holder of ESPN because it gets real coming up tomorrow. Good afternoon, Stephen.
Speaker 2: Hello, there mixed feelings always at the time of year.
Speaker 1: Summertime is officially over for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fine because the truth is, man, we spent all year talking and talking and talking about it, right, and then when they actually give you something tangible, we got to be thankful for that. So we got it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We're ready to roll, all right. Alec Pearce not surprising today with the Colts making that announcement of the physically unable to perform lists? Was the CJ Ellen Want surprising?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one was. He He must have had some slight issue here in the past what six weeks since they've been gone, because when they left for the off season he was fine, but he had some sort of issue with his calf. Well, hopefully get the details from Chris Ballard tomorrow. What I can say for right now is that it is not expected to be a long term thing. You know, you can go on pup for as little as like a day. You know, I've seen that actually happen. It just means that at that particular moment you are not able to practice like right now. But it doesn't mean that he won't be in a couple of days or a week from now, or what have you. But I do think it is there is some urgency to get him out there. There clearly is right c J. Allen has to be ready. They don't really have a plan being at middle linebacker. He is the plan, So certainly they could put a body in there, but that's who they want starting at middle linebacker, and given all of the responsibilities of that job, he needs to be out there. He needs every rep. So I'll be watching to see how that goes.
Speaker 1: Is it simply put here that time is for any rookie, time is of the essence, But his job responsibility out of the gate is going to be substantial here and even if he has dealt with it on the highest of levels, you know, playing in the SEC, playing at Georgia, coming out of high school at a very young age. This is massively still going to be different. So you can't afford to miss really anytime whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with that, yes, I mean, you know historically that that middle linebacker, that's the guy who is communicating with lou An Rumo, the defensive coordinator. So he's getting the headset in his helmet and getting the play call. He's having to huddle the guys up and get them lined up. You know, there's a lot of responsibility in there for you know, a twenty two year old kid. He is mature beyond his years. Having having had a little bit of dealings with him, I feel like I can sense that from him, and the coaches more so more importantly have said that they see that too. So I'm optimistic about his ability to do it. Lou An Rumo is not a guy to give rookies the benefit of the doubt, Okay, never has been, and he's always had that reputation where like you know, young guys, you're already behind the eight ball with him historically, and so that says to me. The fact that Louanna Rumo is saying to us, this guy actually has something a little different about him, and that carries a lot of weight with me, you know, because that's not something he just says, you know, just casually. So so I think it's all positive with c. J. Allen with the understanding, Okay, as long as you have the understanding that rookies do screw up. Okay, he's gonna blow a coverage at some point, he's gonna he's gonna, you know, have a bad run fit here and there. You know, those things happen, they just do and you have to accept them. And and that is just sort of part for the course of young guys.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting about to Stephen hold Us on the Andy Morrel Amotive Group pod line that while you expect that and that absolutely is going to happen, and that gonna be a lot of Colts fans they're going to give this too much leeway. It's gonna be you got to get out there and you got to get humping. You gotta get humping right away. We're going to get to your questions. You have to start the season in just a second, which are ample, certainly even more than last year. And really what is representative about that is the start they got off to was tremendous, but because there were no end of season results, injuries, whatever the case, people view them with a lot more questions than even what we had talked about a year ago. But before we get to that, Alec Pierce, what's your expectation on how long he is he's going to be waiting to get back into things after the surgery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean we can only speculate right now, but I will let's go back to what he said in the off season, which I mean he left the door open for this to potentially be a little bit of a lengthy absence. Okay, that's not me putting those words in his mouth. I mean he said that he had a ways to go, and he said hopefully this doesn't linger beyond mid all guests. But the fact that or he said, like, you know, I think the words he used were, you know, hopefully it doesn't last more than a couple of weeks into camp. But that tells me that he left that possibility open that this thing could linger a couple of weeks into camp. Well, that puts us I think almost beyond the dual practices, the joint practices, in which of which they have.
Speaker 5: I think, what.
Speaker 2: Late next week, if I'm not mistaken, I gotta get my calendar right here. I don't have it in front of me. But my point is they're heading out to New England. I think late next week already, you know, for for the their first joint workout, and then you know, the week after that they're back here I think the week after that for Atlanta. Right, So those are big workouts, those are really important practices. And you've got a quarterback coming off an injury, you got his number one receiver coming off an injury. They haven't had any time together this off season, you know all those little thing they are yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean these are all impediments to progress, right. Progress happens when you are out there and you're throwing the ball to each other and you're getting work done. They are not doing either of those things because they have not been together, and even Daniel Jones has been limited obviously. So yeah, I mean it's not conducive to success. It doesn't mean they can't have success, it just means this isn't helping them achieve.
Speaker 1: It well in the end, Michael Pittman, even without you know, the the high level of production with Michael Pittman Junior, and a lot of people are going to easily forget about his presence there because there was not that level of expected production. But it's even more magnified the longer that Alec Pierce is not there, because it's going to be like a Halliburton situation, Stephen, the expectation for Halliburton. It's going to be unfair. Is Hey, he's all of a sudden going to be postseason or the year before last when he hits the floor in October, and you're going to have to see seemingly to Alec Pierce hit the ground running at a very fast pace, which is probably, simply put, not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, you know, the the Michael Pittman Junior issue, I think is something we have to talk about and we have, but I just don't think we can. We can't turn the page from it yet until they figure out how to turn the page there. Look, this guy caught eighty passes last year. Now he had I'm looking at it, yet he was only nine point eight yards per reception. Which is, you know, very modest. But on the other hand, let's think about this. Take eighty receptions out of that offense last year, and do you think you feel it? I would say absolutely, you feel it, right, So you have to make that up somewhere, and they're going to have to make it up right now, at least with a with a lesser player. You know, they still have options out there. I don't think Vivo Samuel has landed anywhere, if I'm not mistaken. You know, there's there's always Stefon Diggs, which you know that's a whole different conversation. But you know Keenan Allen, right, So I mean, like I do think that's still in play. Like them signing a wide receiver, I have not turned the page on that. I think that they will keep that on the table depending on how this goes to start training camp. You know, I just think they're too thin. That's just my my assessment of it. At wide receiver, I think they're too thin. You are one injury away from a catastrophe.
Speaker 1: Should have Alick Pierce got that procedure done earlier?
Speaker 2: Well, ideally, yes, but I don't think it was just as simple as I'm a free agent and I don't want to do this right now now. Did that play some rolling, Possibly, It's totally possible. But I also understand what he's saying, which is that, you know, the doctors said that there were there were a couple of different ways to handle this, and the first, the first approach to it with a certain form of treatment. That approach, they tried it, and they thought that it had a chance to work. It did not take this bottom line, it just did not. And the problem is you had to give it.
Speaker 1: I believe.
Speaker 2: I think it was like platelet treatment, you know what I mean. And you know, and I think by the time they gave that it's opportunity to run its course, which I believe is like an eight week process. By the time you do that, you're into March. Now, you know, after the season, the season's over in January, you go get checked out and then you got to give it two months, So it's March by the time they realize this thing's not working. And so at that point, now he's having surgery and he's a free agent at that point. So you're probably at that point waiting until after you sign. You know, you don't want to in his defense, I wouldn't do surgery the week before I become a free.
Speaker 4: Agent, right, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not ideal, it was not and yes, ideally it would have been done earlier, but because of those meetings mitigating circumstances, it was not. And so he's behind the eight ball.
Speaker 1: Now do you do you think had he not been a free agent in that situation, do you think that they would have decided against the whole platelet treatment aspect and gone ahead and done the surgery and matched up the timeline better than what ultimately happened.
Speaker 2: Right, Maybe maybe, But I but I also think that this this surgery was it was not a mandatory thing. In other words, what I mean is he could have played this year without this surgery. So I think he was trying to avoid surgery. Like there's some things where it's like, all right, the only way to fix this surgery and then there's no there's no doubt, right, you go ahead and you do it as soon as possible. This was a great area situation. So if you're the player, you know you're thinking about it. Okay, well, what is the least obtrusive way to handle this? You know, I think just from a human perspective, the last resort is a surgery, right, and so if they say that there is the chance of this being resolved in another way, I understand wanting to look at that and give that a chance. Even after it did not work, Okay, there was still a conversation about whether they wanted whether they wanted to actually move forward with surgery. So Alec Pierce ultimately said he is the one that said, look, I don't want to have to deal with this all year long and having this nagging issue, and so he and Chris Ballard came to an agreement that this was the best way to move forward and get the surgery done.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: If he didn't, the odds are he would have needed the surgery on the back end of the twenty twenty sixth season anyway. So it made sense to do it. But it just happened unfortunately later than it could have.
Speaker 4: That's the unfortunate part.
Speaker 1: Stephen Holder, ESPN, ESPN dot Com Report Day coming up tomorrow, final time around for the Colts in Graham Park and Westfield. Steven will be up there, I know all our guys the fan morning show in Querying Company will be up there as well. All coming up tomorrow with things officially get underway in Colts Camp. So the guy that and evidently now Daniel Jones is cleared. Now this is something we weren't going to question. We'll see how he comes along. But you consider Daniel Jones his Achilles injury, that of Jason Tatum and then Tyrese Halliburton. So is this surgeon going to go down in history as the goat all time with orthopedic surgery in mind with Achilles injuries? Because this is an amazing run this fella is on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this guy, he's the ninety six bulls right now.
Speaker 5: It's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do think that there are other there are other physicians, you know, with with I think comparable track records, just because the science is getting better, you know. But it also is a tribute to the players themselves, right, I mean, it takes a significant amount of work. And if you know anything about the work ethic of Daniel Jones, and it seems that Tyree is similar, right, and just like this is very important to him, right, Jason Tatum was locked in as far as I can tell. You know, we're on the outside looking in, But it does appear that like, it takes a certain level of dedication, like you can't miss a day or rehab. You know, you have to be all in. You have to just push and push and push. And I know enough about Daniel Jones to know that there is no other way with him. So it's a combination of great job on the medical side, just unrelenting attitude from the player, and science is doing what it does.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: So you love to see it, you know, you really do. I mean I come from you know, I'm not. I think we're close in age. And I can tell you you know when I was coming up and you heard a guy hav an achilles injury, Yeah, and you're thinking, Okay, well we better draft the guy because he's done. I mean literally right, you know. So you know I grew up there. Everybody probably knows this final, you know, South Florida kid. And I remember when Dan Marino had an achilles injury. It was terrifying because you're thinking this might be the end. He'll never be the same. And he actually did come back. He was the rare guy who did come back. And I think the year after I actually wrote about this recently in relation to Daniel Jones, he came back the next year and I think he had like a four thousand yard season and threw like thirty touchdowns. But that was like alien back then, you know, literally just like unheard of. So we're in a new world and it can be done. But I still think we can't really affess Daniel Jones until we see him out there between the lines, and that will be more than likely against the Baltimore Ravens in Week one.
Speaker 1: See, and that's what is so troublesome about now in the joint gatherings you mentioned New England and then Atlanta as well, what's his activity basis going to be in those.
Speaker 2: Well that's actually a good barometer because you know it's it's less predictable for the quarterback. Right, these are controlled environments still, you know, they can't come off the edge, you know, the the Patriots Stephens the line can't come off the edge and hit Daniel Jones and the joint practice, but you know they they are going to you know, probably use a lot of their their blitzes and their twists and and so he's not going to know what's coming, right. They don't do that in the preseason games, so you actually see more tactics in the joint practices because it's not on film for the rest of the league to watch, so teams are more liberal with what they show. So he's going to get challenged, no question about it. He'll have to throw on the run and all that, but the urgency isn't quite the same because no one is really permitted to hit you. So you know, we'll see, we will see. I do think we will have a pretty good sense of where he's at during training camp. All I'm saying is I just think game speed is another notch up, right, actual regular season game speed. It is another notch up, probably several notches from practice. And there's also the reality that you're getting hit and you can get contorted and different things can happen. So I have no fear that he's going to like reinjure the thing. It's just a matter of whether Daniel Jones can can recapture the explosiveness.
Speaker 5: That he has always had.
Speaker 2: He's a pretty good He's a pretty good athlete, right and one of the reasons he is good well, one of the reasons he was so good last year is because of his ability to move and throw on the run and get away from pressure.
Speaker 5: Is that going to be compromised at all?
Speaker 1: The question before I let you go, you had questions and many more questions going into this year than going into last year, because in the first eight plus weeks of the season, a high bar was said and then we saw them, you know, fall into the cellar once again with injuries and losses and no postseason. So where do you start with your list of questions? Among those, I think we've kind of already alluded to in our conversation Stephen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think we outlined the issue with Daniel Jones. But I think there's a second issue, which is this. It's it's not just Kenny bounce back from the injury. It's also that he has to stay healthy. Okay, it's not just the Achilles, right, I mean, he's had one real injury free season. I would say a couple I guess injury free season, and it's troublesome, you know.
Speaker 5: It really is.
Speaker 2: I would contend, and I'm gonna I'm gonna write about this this week. I think this is great perspective that he have to think about. This is, in my estimation, the biggest year of Daniel Jones' career. Think about it, because right now, what he has is eight games or nine games whatever it is, of like really good football last year, and then he got hurt. And so if you are a talent evaluator, a personnel executive in the NFL and Daniel Jones is out there and you're evaluating him right now, you're telling yourself good player. But as usual, he got hurt, right That's what So this is his chance, I think to change the narratives. He has to have a season that changes narratives for this to really for him to really be seen as the guy he wants to be. So I think it's a huge year for him.
Speaker 4: That's number one.
Speaker 2: We haven't talked a lot about defense, but they have to have I think a significant improvement on defense, and they're going to have to do it with a younger defense, which is a challenge. So what does lou Anna Rumo have up his lead? Significant challenge for him, I think. And then thirdly I mentioned wide receiver. We talked about Alec Pierce at length. It's really the rest of that group, right, you know Josh Downs, how much can he fill in the gaps? You know that Michael Pittman left. I think he'll he'll do a good job of that. Tyler Warren is a factor there as well, even though he's a tight end. But certainly he's going to be their volume guy. But who's the other who's that third wide receiver?
Speaker 5: Right now?
Speaker 2: It's like Ashton Doolan, right, I mean, are you good with that? Are you sleeping okay at night? I don't know, you know, And I think those are the kinds of questions that we have to look at. And there are many many more, right, many many more, But those are big ones. Those are big, big questions. And and the last thing I'll say is that you know, teams with questions, every team has them. But when you have questions on your big important difference makers, that's where it gets dicey, you know, because you're not going to bat a thousand. There are going to be some problems. And that's just the way the NFL is.
Speaker 1: When you talk about lou Anroumo trying to do something with a team of a lot of young players, and then trying to do something with a team that is really as far as impact defensively has built mass awkwards, as you might say, because normally it's upfront pressure that you can count all that was his phone right there. Hey, go ahead and let I tell you what Caleb. Call him back and I'll take us to a break. There is heavy weather, I think going through Hamilton County right now. I see it in and around Carmel and Noblesville on my accurate weather radar right here. Hey, call him back and tell him thank you very much for joining us. I think that was weather related right there, with that disconnection