Speaker 1: But have they any more? Automotive group potline, It's been somewhat of a compelling day. I'm assuming in Wissel have he yet from Golden Black Illustrated? It is our good friend Tommy d Tom Dean Hart joining us. So what of the introduction of new athletic director Tommy McClellan today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess he's gone viral for probably all the wrong reasons. Right in the moment, you know, I was sitting on the front road, John, and when you uttered that, you sort of kind of did a double take and kind of wondering.
Speaker 3: If you really heard what you thought you heard.
Speaker 2: Not sure if he was really trying to kind of do a signetty and poke the bear, poke your rival or not, or or if he just wasn't aware. I guess I use National Championship pedigre either way, kind of a dubious way to get started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be tough to live down, is it not? When he gets started in this fashion, Tommy.
Speaker 2: Think about this. I mean, Kurt Signet doesn't need any more few for his fire, right. What's been the combined score of the last two bucket games? I think pre scored what three points this year the games in Bloomington. So again needless to say, he doesn't need any more motivation to.
Speaker 3: Really get fired up.
Speaker 2: And I can throw this log on the fire, so I know, the bucket games along the way away and and what the heck you gotta be you gotta like the moxie and and I guess the motivation of the new A D Tommy McClelland here that to come out and say something like that in his opening press conference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there probably would have been better ways to go about it. I'll give you a great example. I thought Barry owed him big ten media days. I thought he handled it great, saying, hey, this is who we want to be, this is where we want to reach. We want to do these things too. And I'm assuming Matt Painter probably would have had better advice in dialogue as well. It didn't seem like that maybe Tommy practiced that speech on anybody in particular before he gave it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he should have maybe ran it by somebody.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I get it, John, I'm sure everybody produced tired of being asked about Indiana, tired about you know, why can't we be in Indiana? Can you ever have success like Indiana, on and on it goes, right, But like you said, there are certain ways to handle that and tip your hat. You gotta tip your hat to what they've done in football. It's just been incredible, one of the greatest stories in sports history, not just college football history, but sports history.
Speaker 3: What they've been able to do in just two short years.
Speaker 2: And that run last year John to go sixteen to h multiple playoff games against that run of teams was one of the probably better runs in the history of the sport as well. So you just tip your hat and then move on, and like you said, that's a place we'd like to be one day. And then just change the subject. And if you're not asked about Indiana, certainly don't bring them up. Right, Just you're you're better, always better off in life, just taking care of yourself and not worrying about everybody, at least at this stage if you're pretty especially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what's funny when when Signetti did that, if you're going to make a comparison to you know, I win, google me whatever what I mean? He had one Google him and just at a much lower level at the time, people thought, all right, what do you had to lose in this case. You know, what you're doing is is kind of nationwide clowning yourself, and the program doesn't want to be clowned. The football program in this case does not want to be cloud anymore than it has been on the field. That's what you're trying to make up for. You're trying to create a better environment for it. And yeah, there are ways to start, and you can start like Signetti. And obviously he backed it up and nobody thought he was going to at the time when he said that. I remember him keep being Tommy on the show and everybody was going, what are you doing? What are you saying? But he had really nothing to lose because nothing had ever really been done with that program. Unfortunately, today it went beast askwards in wessel Off he had because you just ended up being a nationwide side show, which is exactly what you don't want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from corner to corner, from coast to coast. When you look at social media, you scroll through your Twitter, you see everybody chiming in on it, and like I said, all the wrong reasons to go viral. And you know, it's too bad, John, you know, otherwise I thought Tim McClellan did a very good job today, right. I thought he handed himself with a plumb, had a good message to deliver. Yeah, Field the most every questions. Well, but unfortunately, unfortunately, you know how things go. It's that one one area that everybody's going to focus on, just like in our life. Right, we can have the greatest life and we make that one mistake in life and that seems to define Hbut it so again, this is this is sort of a in one way, sort of a microcosm.
Speaker 3: That's unfortunate for Tommy.
Speaker 2: Like I said, he seems like a good fit, a good guy for Prdue, but just just uh, you know, I'm missed up that. I'm sure he's going to regret hindsight and you kind of maybe over time this sort of dissipace, but right now it's it's it's been blasted, like I said, from from coast to coast, especially on social media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was a scripted material, to which I mean, I think it's one thing where you just go you say that, oh man, that was in the moment off the top of my head, but that being on the script wasn't great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was scripted, and yeah, like I said it, it'd be kind of nice at some point to talk to him. I don't know, Yeah, I kind of want to hear from him. Yeah, this has become the story unfortunately right in a lot of ways, reached a very big part of the story of today. And it's almost you kind of wonder what the thinking was, well, what his intent was in that in that uh, in that statement. So here we are talking about it, like I said, and it's uh, just sort of a midstep right out of the gate for the new pre athletic director.
Speaker 1: That's Tom dean Hart of Golden Black Illustrated. So what do you expect out of him outside of putting his foot in his mouth in this introductory press conference today?
Speaker 2: Finding new streams for revenue, That's that's kind of the bus the buzz phrase now right. You know, we met with Mike Blebenski last Monday and we asked him what the next marching order would be for the for his credit for his successor and finding new revenue streams that's the big one. We see uniform patches become one of those sources of revenue and and you.
Speaker 3: Have to be creative.
Speaker 2: I think he's going to look for ways to use ross Aid Stadium and Mackie Arena outside of just pre exclusive sporting events, whatever it is. You know, he's done a good job raising money in finding revenue streams at places that don't have a lot of athletic built in advantages, like Rice and like Varider Building in particular. So, uh, he's used to challenges, challenges, and he's used to raising money. He's been very good at raising money, and that seems to be a big part of anybody's job in athletic administration Today. John is raising money for the continuing rising cost of He's putting these rosters together from a year to year because you know, the price is not going down.
Speaker 1: How do you do that? What do you think the protocol is going to be at Purdue to do that? And have they been late to the game of really truly getting on board or is this kind of the situation with the hand they were dealt when nil became so prevalent as it is now it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of hard to tell what numbers are real and really who's doing what. Everybody here kind of gets the sense Purdue is maybe a little bit behind the eight ball, if I'm being honest, If you ask most people. I think the basketball team has been well taken care of. A lot of times we're told, well, the Purdue alums don't have a real appetite for nil, but everybody has an appetite for winning, right, And uh, there's like I said, they sure support that basketball team with nil. You never hear about player of defections and a lot of that's Matt Painters just mojo in chemistry. He's really built quite a you know, the corny family atmosphere.
Speaker 3: But it's legit.
Speaker 2: And but again, like I said, my point being, they have to retain their basketball players. Pretty hasn't retained one football player the last three or four years that that another school wanted will help, you know, Dylan Thienemann, Max Claire, Nick Scorton, on and on. It's gone pretty much every prey football player that has some other bigger school wanted, they got and pretty couldn't keep them.
Speaker 3: That's tight.
Speaker 2: He's got to got to turn and uh, at some point what comes first at chicken of the A You're gonna have to poney up and trusting your coach. Increase the funds because again you hear some of the off season talk forty million dollars rosters of being built right now, John can meet the refshare max right twenty two million, but it's that next level, the nil money that really separates these programs.
Speaker 3: It seems like.
Speaker 1: Tom Dean out of Golden Black illustrated. Before I let you go, what's your expectation for Barry Odam and your number two up there? And I guess your expectation and the fan base expectation because you would expect I would guess a lot of growth in your number two. Is that what we're going to see?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's a little more stable this year. The roster there wasn't as much turnover. I think the coaching staff's been tweaked in a positive direction. I am told ticket sales are down. I'm not sure how down they are, but they are down. It's going to be very interesting to see John when you're Indiana State Sycamore's rolling here on September fourth, that Friday night.
Speaker 3: What the crowd looks like?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then next week for a game at High and UN against Wake Forest.
Speaker 2: Two huge games and as far as the expectations, you know, Las Vegas has set the overrunder win total at three and a half you're gonna take the over or the under, And I think right now I'm still inclined to take the under.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at three and nine.
Speaker 2: And if they lose that Wake Forest game, boy, the hill got that much steeper. So three and nine, four and eight I think would be progressing. You know what, two would be progressed, John, don't get totally wiped out by Notre Dame in Indiana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would. Yeah, just a lot of character builders going on right there. And you know what, Tommy and closing here, it's easier said than done considering what's transpired with your biggest rival in the past two years, and that also gets stacked on top of you, and you know that's that's the part of this whole deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they got Order Dame to the North and Indiana the South. Now two of the what top five programs in the nation and produced is trying to be that little train that could and get its head above the water and just get the respectability. They'd pray to go six and six at this point. So the challenge is mighty for Barry. You owed him and company, and we'll see what he can do. And he's gonna need all the support and all the resources that his new boss, Tommy McClellan can give him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he should have said Indiana state instead of Indiana. I think that was on the script.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. Man, he'll again and it's just unfortunate. That's that's gonna be the fining moment from this press conference. And Tommy's got to own it.
Speaker 1: Man, he does. I'd be curious to see how when he gets asked the questions, how he responds to that.
Speaker 2: Tommy, Yeah, that would say a lot. And sometimes you're better off. Maybe just admitting you, man, you're always better off. I think admitting you made a mistake, instead of doubling down on things.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we all come up with jokes or cracks that don't go over very well. We have to double back and say, hey, you know that was my attempt at being funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, instead of trying to justify it or talk you away around and I think you're better off sometimes just own it and saying, look, I probably shouldn't have said what I said. It was a misstatement, and you know, respect, we respect Indiana and and we look forward to competing with them in the fuse.
Speaker 3: Just keep it generic.
Speaker 2: And uh, but then again, you don't want to continue to breathe life into something. Right, The more you keep rain, you breathe life into and it continues to live. You know what the news cycle is like.
Speaker 3: Things.
Speaker 2: Things move off our radar quick, John, They move off our radar quick.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying this.
Speaker 2: Well, it's always gonna be in the back of mind of Indiana fans are pretty fans, but it moves off the national radars quick.
Speaker 3: And we went.
Speaker 2: From Diana Russini being the hottest thing in America to whatever is next? And and that's again our attention SPAN's gonna be very fleeting in social media age especially.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a crap water world you just described right there. We live. That's a part of it. Thanks Tommy, Thanks for justifying the crap water we're in right here. Thanks Pal, I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: All Right, my friend, we'll be talking.
Speaker 1: That is Tommy Deeds. I'm Dean Hart of Golden Black, illustrated on the Andy Moore Auto Motive group hootline. Hey, tomorrow night's going to be a big night for us all because if you're like me and a member of Generation X, one of the all time greatest artists will be on the stage along with the English Beat, Wang Chung and Modern English. The headliner, he's spit on the show before, and he's one of the nicest humans you will ever meet. It is Howard Jones. Tomorrow night, everwise Amphitheater. We'll see you all there, and Howard's kind enough to join us now here on the ride with me. JMV. Howard, thank you for the time. How are you, sir?
Speaker 5: I'm very well psych you. Thank you. JMV. It's very very kind of you to give such a great introduction.
Speaker 1: You are seriously every time you come to town, whether it's here or down in Brown County in Nashville. As I've seen you before, you are one of the nicest humans of all time, and I am so I am so appreciable. Well, if you remember, my daughter Laney is a tremendous fan and going all the way back to her second grade year, she said you were her favorite artists and you were kind enough to ask about her left time, and those are things that stick with people. Howard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is so great that she you know, she's been a fan since that long. I mean, is he able to come to the show. I mean.
Speaker 1: I well, yeah, I think I think she may be coming now. Yes, so if she's on the guest list, she may be coming out now. Obviously I'm coming. I've seen you a variety of times, and really this goes back to the nineteen eighties, and I'm curious, multi decades of touring, and you tour, and you tour a lot, does it ever get old for you?
Speaker 5: No, No, it doesn't. I swear to you it doesn't, because I mean, it's like the best job in the world, playing so to people that they know and they're singing them back to you, and you know, creating this atmosphere in whatever venue I'm playing it. Honestly, it's such a joy to do it, and you know, it is what I do. I mean, I couldn't really do much else, so this is I'm just going to do what I can do, and I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Howard Jones coming up tomorrow night. Ever Wise, you know what's amazing is we have a mutual friend named Steve here in Indy and you've been out to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway before. This is literally one of your favorite stops. Is it not on your tour schedule here in Indianapolis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, we've we've been to the Indy five hundred track a couple of times now, and the rest of the band are very excited because they they're new to my band and they're going to go down with as Steve Shunk and and you know, go to the museum and get driven around the track. It's the most amazing thing. And I'm a big motors thought fan of formula you know, I followed Formula One and and you know, anything of the racing cars I'm big time into. So it's such a thrill. It's such an amazing track and driving around it is like something special. It's huge.
Speaker 1: Tom Howard Jones is with us. What did you say, were you kind of shocked at just how big the place was the first time that you stepped foot over their house?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely absolutely, you know, and you know, we were driven around in this in this beautiful old vintage car and that they have, you know, in their in their motor museum, and it was just it was just a thrill. And then we were driven around in a Ford Mustang by one of the Indy Car drivers and yeah, I mean it was it's it's there in the memory. You know, I'll never forget it. It's twice you've been now. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: It is a a great time for real tomorrow and that's going to be a great time too. Howard Jones is with us. How has the tour been so far? Howard?
Speaker 5: It's been absolutely amazing. You know. All the gigs have gone really well. We've had great turnouts and and it's it's interesting because you know, it's it's very much people coming coming through to get their tickets in their last few days because people are like checking them, you know, like we know that money's tight today, you know, and and people are sort of looking at the weather, they're looking have they got the money to go? And we're seeing you know, big walk cups to the shows, which is really quite interesting to see, you know, because it's a it sort of makes you realize, you know, you know it it's wonderful that people come, but they can afford to come to the shows at the moment. There was a guy that I met who was doing security in one of the kids we've just done in Austin, and he was he was saying, he's not he's not switching on his his air conditioning and his cart because he's trying to because he wants he needs to save money, you know, and that really that brought it home to me. But it's so great to see so many people coming out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got to be gratifying. You go, you know, all the way back, just multi decades, and you mentioned having people sing those songs, you know, word the word of all your lyrics back to you and know that you're still able to do this and enjoy it to the level in which you do has to be incredibly gratifying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it is, it is. It's I feel very pleaded, you know. I mean we you know, we look after me and my wife, We look after our health and you know, eat well, trying to get good rest so that we can do these tours and give like full energy and you know, really really get people excited. And you know, that's what I love doing. So I'm very grateful to be able to do it. Still.
Speaker 1: It's great Wang Chung Modern English and the English beat up part of this. It occurred to me, how long have you and Dave Wakeling been acquaintances? How far back do we go?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Actually we we He's he's taught. We've toured together quite a few times in the past, so we've got to know each other through that, and same with Modern English. We've toured with them, but I never never had, you know, the pleasure of having Wang Wan Chung on the on the on the bill with us. And although I know Jack hughes for it for a long time, we you know, we go back, you know, decades. So it's like, it's great having all these amazing people on the road, and there's a great atmosphere between the bands, and everyone has got a unique sound, which is very cool, you know. So people get a great a great night of music. And then Richard Blade gives his interludes where he you know, bigs up the eighties and and teaches us about how great that decade was. Well, yeah, it's as good.
Speaker 1: Richard Blade is one of the iconic DJs out there, and as Howard mentions, he gets up on stage and talks up a lot of stories. Now you've been an acquaintance of Richard for a number of years, have you heard all the stories or does he have any that you have yet to hear?
Speaker 5: And he has every story going because he knows all the bands and he knows all the artists, like personally, we go out to dinner, and also he's traveling on the bus with us and we get to hear more stories from Richard. But Richard, you know often say I might not be up here doing this if it wasn't for Richard, because he played my record on the West Coast, you know, K Rock right in the beginning and really supported so many of us artists. So you know, he's a legend, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and people forget back in the eighties, it was it was really difficult at the early stages to get your music and that style of music played. But once once you did, you saw the impact of the all audience once you did. But yeah, Richard Blade, there are a couple of stations, certainly the one on Long Island, New York was was another that was impactful too. But I mean it really took airplay on the radio to get new wave music as impactful as it became.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right. And and so you know, as you mentioned w i R, you know, on the on the East Coast and then K Rock of the West. You know, they really championed our music and without that it would never have been heard, you know, So you know, very grateful to Richard and also and I r on the you know, on the Long Island side, So yeah, you know it's you know, we we stand on the on the shoulders of great people like like Riches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't I can't wait until tomorrow. And Howard Jones joins us, uh kind of enough to join us here on the ride with j M V on the Anymore Automotive Group Hotline. Before I let you go, I have to ask you how invested you were with the World Cup and the play of England.
Speaker 5: Oh oh yeah, I watched so many games and we you know, we we would we would, we were it was touch and go whether we were going to get through at any time. But then you know, in that you know, semi final, like why did our manager suddenly go all defensive against Argentina? I mean what was what was he thinking? I mean, I mean we you know, it just all collapsed after that. You know, we had a back five that hadn't played together in that configuration, and this is Argentina. They are so determined, you know, they are going to they win at any cost, and we really it was just a strategic mistake that Tuk or really you know, I mean everyone was going was groaning what you think, and so that's the other day I say, but you know, I think then, you know, Argentine, Argentina deserves to win because they they they just fought like tooth and nail to get to that final. And but but I tell you what, my favorite match was the third and fourth place between England and France. To me, that was the best match of the whole tournament. Just really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: All the scoring, because all the scoring. People that love offense and scoring, you gotta love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And and I tell you what I'm you know, being an Englishman, we were looking at how well America ran that that that tournament. I mean, all the stadiums looked amazing and they're all full, and I have to, you know, hats off to America for giving us an amazing World Cup. It was the best World Cup I've seen. So you know, that's I hope that, you know, people realized that that that you know, it was a really great achievement.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned that as a fan of England right here, was that result in third place? Was that good enough or was there still a high level of disappointment for that result in England?
Speaker 5: Yeah? No, there was, there was, there was There was great disappointment as to the manner that we went out. You know, we are going defensive, you know, so early on in the second half was just a really strategic mistake. And even if you didn't know very much about football, people were saying, why is he doing that? And you know we should have kept being very you know, one goal, two goals isn't enough against Argentina. You've got to keep hammering it. And so I think the the there's a great disappointment in the UK that we we should have been in that final. We would have lost, I think to Spain. I think Spain deservedly one and they're an amazing team, but we still you know, it would have been nice in the manner that we got through that. That's only finally we should have fought the whole way and been offensive the whole time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The pride of Southampton, England right here is uh. I don't know if we've ever gone this in depth in sports and our conversations in the past, but I dig it. I like it a lot.
Speaker 5: No great nowadays that I do. I am a big sports and actually it's football and Formula one is my my passions.
Speaker 1: You know, we you know, you remember back in the day they used to have an F one race over at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So and yeah, yeah, that is missed. I think that's missed because you always want that place to to be the place for for races, and it is certainly. Have you ever been to the NY five hundred itself?
Speaker 5: I haven't been to the actual race, no, I mean I've only got the flavor of it, you know, going to the museum and going to it. But yeah, I'd love to come sometime.
Speaker 1: We got to make that happen for you at some point, don't we. So right, Hey, get get some rest and get sent for tomorrow night, and I want to come. I want to come and see you. So I don't know. I don't get off until six o'clock, but I'm going to try to get back there and see you. Coming here tomorrow night too, and bring that girl. That girl's all getting all grown up now too, so but she's still a big fan of Howard Jones.
Speaker 5: Oh fantastic. Well give him on be swishes with you.
Speaker 1: You got it, Hey, Howard, We're going to send to everybody over there. We'll see tomorrow night. Thank you for the time as always.
Speaker 5: Okay, thanks J and D. Thank you man.
Speaker 1: Howard Jones on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline. As I mentioned, one of the nicest human beings that you will ever meet. True, And it is so cool for me because I was such a tremendous fan and still am obviously, but growing up. You know, when you're a teenager and you know you're a fan of basketball or sports or whatever, and you know you meet those that you're a tremendous fan of in your youth, it's even more impactful. That's impactful. He's awesome ever wise, amphitheater tomorrow night, along with Wang Chung, the English Beat, Dave Wakeling too, by the way, he'll be there the Beat now as it goes. But the English Beat just a great catalog modern English. That is Howard Jones on the Andymore Automotive Group potline. He's from CBS four and Fox fifty nine. He is Mike Chappell. Hello, Mike, how are you a couple of things here? Did you get set up for the Seeger tribute?
Speaker 4: Yes, we're all good to go.
Speaker 1: When does that happen? Is that next week?
Speaker 4: A week from Friday.
Speaker 1: Correct, you are good to go for that. I want to make sure you are good. I'm glad to see that you guys can go to that. And are you going over to Canon this weekend?
Speaker 4: I leave tomorrow morning.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow morning.
Speaker 4: It's a great time. And if I get real energetic, I'll go to the gold Jacket dinner tomorrow night where all the you know, Hall of famers in town they're there and they present the gold jacket to the guy, which is really cool, but the very worst. I'll go to the enshrinmed ceremonies at on noon and then not to drop names, but then the Ursas have a post ceremony party that night at the country club. And it's cool to go to. And what's cool is you see all the all the cults. Bob Sandrews is normally there, the Justin Snows and edge Ll play b there and pain. It's really cool just to see the player Antoine Bethay. It's cool to see the players come back and help enjoy the moment that when one of their fellow teammates gets gets honored.
Speaker 1: Hey, does Edrin James have any sort of similar relationship with the girls as he had with the late, Jim irsay.
Speaker 4: Good question. I don't know. I think so. Uh, you know, because as much as Edrin and Jim were, you know, they were as close as you can get with a player and an owner, I would think, so, yeah, I'm sure you'll stay, you know, available if they need him. When I was talking to Vinnie over the summer, he wants to stay involved with the Colts. He said, they need me to do something, show up, give me a call and I'll be there. He really really feels close to the Ursays and to the Colts, and he still lives He still lives here, and so, uh, it's kind of cool when you see an owner, you know, Carli Ers Gordon is going to be the one to present Vinnie on Saturday, which is pretty cool. Says Really, he was much much closer to Jim yeah than Carly during his time here, but it was really a testament to his connection to the team and of the family.
Speaker 1: Mike Chappel of CBSFO and Fox fifty nine, He's on his way to Canon for the induction ceremonies for among others, Adam, Van and Terry coming up this weekend. He's on the Andy Moore Automotive group hootline, So what do you make And you and I have had dialogue regarding you know, the future, and you know, I'm always kind of in the category of I don't want to put any money in the future because you just don't know about the future past this year. However, I will say this, I think that this almost gives you to me contractually with Jonathan Taylor clearly your best player on the team. I think that's the best case scenario for everybody to be happy about.
Speaker 4: Would you agree, Yeah, unless you're one of the guys who also is expiring contract, like a you know, Quentin and Buck and Grover and not yeah, Josh Ansby free agent. Yeah, I think what it does. Steven Holder mentioned any spot on it makes sense to not give extensions for all we've talked about in case things don't go right and you're reloading and then you're not giving the new group. You know, this this baggage, if that's the word you want to use. But by doing this, this tells your team that, hey, we're invested in in this year and we're going to reward a player who who has has earned it. So I think it's a win win. Now we'll see if there's more extensions, you know, I doubt it. I thought JT was the one. It's really kind of squirrely. The safest extension in my view was Quentin, just because he's there and if nothing else's performance has gotten better, But the number would have been crazy. It's going to be twenty five million bottom per year and probably more than that. JT is the one who They're gonna climb on this guy's back and ride him as long as they can. He's had one back to back three hundred carry seasons. Only Edguran's had three consecutive three hundred yard carry seasons, and so I'm glad they took care. I thought maybe they would try to just do this year somehow, but they showed a lot more investment. What I'm curious to see is what's the obligation in twenty twenty eight. You know, might just be this year and next year and then and then they can make twenty twenty eight go away if they want. But he's gonna be here for eight years, and it'll be the longest tenure by a running back. You know, Thank Edge was seven years, Dom Rhodes was seven years with that little break in between. So but but no, he's your best player by far. He was. He was headed for like another eighteen hundred yard season last year or seventeen hundred yard until Daniel Jones went down and then the whole offense went in the dumper. So that this is when you talk about guys earning it. And I'm not saying Quentin hasn't earned it or or a Grover, but Jonathan Taylor is your guy. He's gonna You're gonna go as far as he takes you, providing Daniel Jones is healthy and so far that that looks like he's he's really on the way to being back. So kudos to Jonathan Taylor.
Speaker 1: There wasn't much of a poker face either. You could kind of tell that he seemed to be satisfied situationally with what was going long on because especially to compared to the last time out right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, at least we didn't have Carly in the in the end zone with with the luxury bus. He Jonathan, let's go talk. So uh yeah, when when when JT told us what I guess at the start of the camp that while two two of the top players Robinson and Gibbs were were in camp but not practicing. He said, I've got faith that things are headed in the right direction. And I was sold yesterday by someone with the cults that you know, we're going to get there, and it made me think that it maybe sooner rather than later. And it was so that again it helps to have two sides that want to get it done and aren't that far apart on what it takes to get it done. So again, the only the option to have been to give him something this year, maybe franchising next year, and that would not have been an ideal situation for Taylor.
Speaker 1: Mike Chapel of CBS four and Fox fifty nine on the Andymoree Automatic Group podline, So where are you as far as the extensions for guys? You and I have again we've had this back and forth, but where are you considering the circumstances of I'm not going to describe this as a lame duck season, but it can quickly become that if things don't go right, where are you in terms of money and extensions handed out to guys where you may have everybody all new coming up this time next year.
Speaker 4: And that's the dilemma, is what do you do and and what do you leave again? The thing is you can't. You can't really as an owner operate by well, if this doesn't go right now, I've got a whole new group coming in, so I've got to watch my money. That's why I say it was important to get JT extended because it shows the locker room that she's invested in this year. And by the way, they have re signed their own if you want to call Daniel Jones their own Jones, Pierce and JT. And it's like almost a quarter of a billion dollars in contracts, so more we talked to. I just don't know that I would want to invest what's going to be a monster, monster contract in Quentin Nelson. He won't be the highest paid alignment, he'll be the highest paid guard by quite a bit. And Grover know Buck, how do your extend Buck? When he's got the neck injury, then he's coming back and he might be fine. And there is no better example of a horseshoe guy than the Force Bucker. I mean, he's at the top of the list, but there's a situation there that would give you pause. So I guess I wouldn't do another one. If I would it would be Quentin because he is beyond a core player. He's one of those pillar guys. But then still, if things don't go right, how much money do you want to have invested next year when the new GM or whatever comes in and says, yeah, he's a good player, but you know, I want my money funneled elsewhere. So and as soon as I say I think they're done, they'll resign somebody. I'll tell you if they're listening and they want to invest money, give keenan Allen call and get his butt in Westfield.
Speaker 1: Is the clock is ticking, I think with the guys that are out there, especially this guy that certainly has a connection to the past.
Speaker 4: That's the thing. It's in a season of urgency, which this season is give your quarterback coming off an Achilles as much weaponry as you can, and right now the receiver room is simply not deep enough. Keep in mind, we've not seen out. We've seen out like peers have practiced, and he and Reggie look pretty good throwing the football. But even when Piers comes back, that number three spots wide open, and all the guys that are contending for that have been have had their moments, but that's never been their role. Being of three has never been their role. So that's my concern. And we were talking on our podcast today at Fox fifty nine that either Keenan Allen wants to let training camp go in another week before he signs with somebody, or he wants he's going to resign with the Chargers or he's going to resign with the Colts, but he wants more money. Money's always a driving force. People can say he went to where he had a chance. Money makes you do a lot of things. So if he's asked ing for too much money, which in free agency right now, you don't get that big contract. And again that's a relative five million, eight million, I don't know, but I just see how Keenan Allen comes in here and it's a one year stopgap sort of fills Michael Pittman's role. So I and if he goes back to the Chargers or somewhere else, then what you got They worked out Chase Claypool recently. He hasn't played since twenty twenty three, So I'm just concerned that they look at that room and they say, well, you know, we've got Tyler Warren who by the way, is a tight end, uh so, and they're gonna work him hard this year. I hope they find a way to get a third receiver free agent, And once you get past Keenan Allen, there's not a lot out there.
Speaker 1: It's Mike Chappell who joins us right now. Obviously, Sauce Gardner was the big deal. I got it going forward as they did last year, and then everything came unraveled, uh with the injury, especially that to to Daniel Jones, and we know that they traded away a future couple of first rounders here. We haven't really talked about the impact that we might see of a d Mitchell. Make you wonder because we're talking about wide receiver right now and Keenan Allen right now, whereas it seems like people in the I and again it's early in training camp, and we've been down this path before when we talk about stuff, and we never talked about it again after this time. But that is something I'm assuming we're going to keep tracking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in hindsight, ad Mitchell's the guy you want here when Michael Pittman's gone. But it's hard for me to believe that. The Jets said well, we're not going to make this deal for sauce two first round draft picks.
Speaker 1: They did they rage trade him. Do you think they traded him kind of out out of a little bit of anger and being done be.
Speaker 4: Lost our patience with it? Yeah? I think so, because I can't believe that he was a deal breaker in the trade. I really don't. Uh, you get two first round draft picks, you take that and walk away? So yeah, I mean, right now, ad Mitchell, warts and all would look pretty good. He just he just had those I want to sound like, just he had four or five plays that you just can't have when you're in that position. And I think the coaching staff, minus Reggie Wayne just said, if you don't trust your guy, how do you claim? And I think they lost trust in what Mitchell would do, and then they lost patience on giving him another year and you know, half of last year and another year this year. I know, Reggie, you know if they voted, he wasn't a vote to send him away. But you know, it's a position position coach, you defer with what they say. But I think I think Mitchell would look pretty good here right now. But that that's what that's hindsight.
Speaker 1: Well, are you anticipating regret a time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean yeah, because because he would he would be in the running with the top three guys, and maybe there were just those rough spots for him that rookies have to work through. But again they were the spot they just weren't going to have patience with him, and it was one you know, it's like, well, it's like, we'll give you one more chance, and then you're on double secret probation and you mess up again. So yeah, is there a regret? I probably, But again you've got to move on there, and I'm gonna send another draft pick to the Jets to get him back. But when you make a move like that, maybe it would have been hard to argue to keep him, considering how he had been moved out of the rotation and he wasn't gonna get much of an opportunity last year barring an injury. But yeah, in hindsight, it'll be nice to have ad Minchell back here.
Speaker 1: Mike Chappell of CBS four and Fox fifty nine, I'm curious, Keenan Allen, do you think that ultimately is going to be a target or are we just talking about stuff that may never come to fruition here.
Speaker 4: I just don't know why it's not going to happen unless he doesn't want to come here, or unless he's asking for just too much. And it's not my money, it's Carly's money. And I would hope that a million or two dollars wouldn't keep him here, but again, he may be asking for a lot more than that. I don't know. I just know where. You know she said that, you know she she'll make any move, you know that the Chris wants to make. I just hope we're not sitting here in October, November, and and and Chris is thinking, well, I wish I'd done more to help our receivers. Because again, if you want to argue that Pierce and Down's and Tyler Warren give you three top guys, okay, but guys get hurt, Guys miss time. And then you have guys who have never who have seldom stepped up in in in strong roles, coming through and filling and lifting their game to that level. And again I'm not saying Keenan Allen will be a long term UH player at all, but right now, it's this year, and it's an urgent year. I mean, we we've talked to death. So I just if there's a legitimate reason, fine, if it's that you think you're okay at the position, then I just I have to disagree with it.
Speaker 1: Hi, Mike, I want to ask you this, Is it weird to you that they have the night practice eight until ten later on tonight when basically everybody is finally back to school. Is that weird? Is that? That seems like some half ass bad scheduling to me?
Speaker 4: But they'll have a big crowd. They will. Uh, I'm no longer on their list to to talk about the schedules and all that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what you advise them, maybe you're going to do.
Speaker 4: It to school rain, so they play in the practice inside because it's easier for me. But that they'll have a great crowd. And then I'm sure they've got a big post practice fireworks display and all that stuff. They'll they'll go big guns on that. All I care about is we get Jonathan Taylor after practice so I can get a story done and get home and you can get up early in the morning to drive the canton. So and again, it's all about us. It's all about what makes my job easier and all that stuff. But I don't know, I don't know why they schedule things on their schedule them, but they'll have a big crowd tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to call upon your vast memory right here. We had an ill advised press conference by the new athletic director of Purdue, Tommy McClellan, a little bit earlier today, which begs the question, you've been around here absolutely forever. Who had the worst introductory press conference day other than this guy or worse than the new boy the maker ad had earlier today? You mean here in Indie, not anywhere in generally you saw, Yeah, let's go on, let's go in and around. Yeah, you can be here in Indie or it can be outside of the market. You know, any memory you have around here of a bad first step taken Tommy McClellan did today.
Speaker 4: Nick Sirianni had a really really bad opening press conference in Philly, Yeah he did. And then and then when somebody when you're a meme, Lee and Colem in Jacksonville when he did the Duvall thing.
Speaker 1: And they're all they're all on the right track, right, Sirianni, is you know won a Super Bowl and Cohen is on the right, so maybe this is a good sign for both the Maker fans.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I wouldn't want to start my tenure somewhere by making an ass of myself. And I didn't hear the press coverage, so I don't know exactly what he did.
Speaker 1: But did you not hear this? Did you hear this part of it?
Speaker 6: He?
Speaker 1: Can you play this, Caleb? I want to play Caleb to play it for you. This is the point that we're talking about in Tommy McClellan's press conference earlier today, when unfortunately he said this.
Speaker 6: Every recruit, every current student athlete will hear this message repeatedly. We are here to win championships. If you don't want to win championships, go down, Dana.
Speaker 4: Who what was he?
Speaker 1: That's what was the action from chav on the YouTube?
Speaker 4: Where was he like several months ago and Miami lived at the trophy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a bad start right there. Yea. And people bring up, well, look what Signetti said. Listen, they were a doormat. You could have said basically anything and been okay.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 1: That was not okay, And that's going to take a long time for people to forget.
Speaker 4: And again their football program has fallen on such hard times. Now again with with the new you know, portal and kneel and all that you can, you can turn things around very quickly, as I you was done. But yeah, that's gonna that's gonna be. That's gonna follow him around until there's a championship uh in West Lafayette.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's what's interesting is is the produe football coach Barry Odom said all the right things the week before last, and Matt Painter always says all the right things, and yeah, it's just weird. How I guess you don't test drive that on anybody with that particular line. It'd be one thing I think Mike, if he said it kind of off the script in jest, then you go, okay, I get that. But that was like scripted serious material right there, or at least that's the way that sounded.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I keep hammering the WNBA for having really crappy PR people, and maybe he tapped into their PR people to get his opening brushed up. But yeah, I'd like to have a due over on that if I'm him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the w NBA and the Fever, it's a good thing. They have a good team because most of the time those folks can't not get out of their own way.
Speaker 4: How can we screw this up? I got an idea. Okay, let's go with that.
Speaker 1: Here's a hell of a plan. So hey, you're off to Kenton coming up tomorrow, correct.
Speaker 4: Driving to Westfield tonight and in Canton to borrow about four and a half hours and looking forward to it. It's always great to get over there because it's it's just history, and yeah, it'll be a great couple of days in Canton.
Speaker 1: No doubt. All right. Well, safe travels to Westfield tonight, and hey, I'm glad you got those tickets to see The Secret Trouble.
Speaker 4: I've been there before. It's getting in and getting out can be paying the ass, but if it's a really good concert, you deal with it.
Speaker 1: Well, Steve contacted me and I said, you know what, this is our guy right here. Let's let's set him up, so taking care of me. He's a great guy. Mike, enjoy tonight and the safe travels to Canton to thank you.
Speaker 4: You guys be well.
Speaker 1: Mike Chapel of CBS four and Fox fifty nine, you're right that reaction when you heard that dude you got to put that up. That reaction that he had on the YouTube feed was last.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: One of these days, at least for new fans. He brought up a couple examples and listen, I'm known Nick Siriani fan right here, but Nick Siriani did big things. Liam Cohen looks as if he can do big things to referenced by Mike missteps in press conferences that worked out okay, And then if you want to utilize Kurt Signetti, which is just incredibly different. When he first did his press conference and then came on with me, I remember this very well. He came on with me. I was at the West Side Pub on a December afternoon and it was it was so oh by the way, oh yeah, this guy and he was the bravado was there. And then he ended up backing it up. So this guy to let everybody forget and to shut up the folks like me talking about this today, he's just going to have to do the job, which is essentially all he really needed to reference in the first place.