Speaker 1: The Frames per Second Podcast. Welcome to another episode of the Prime Second Podcast. I'm help with the evening. My name is Mike with me, I have Spike? What up? I got Ken? Hello? And I can't even say special guests. We just got Nick. What's up? Nick? What's going on? I know this is how y'all tree family?
Speaker 2: I guess so full disclosure, this was a last minute pivot. We're gonna talk about the Oscar noms for that's what they say, noms. I don't know if y'all do that.
Speaker 1: I did not. Yeah, put y'all along, Bro, putting y'all along.
Speaker 2: The Oscars will be aired on Sunday, March fifteenth at seven pm. It will be hosted by Conan O'Brien and Yeah, we're and actually this is interesting. It's airing on ABC and streaming on Hulu. I thought that was interesting. But we're gonna be talking about the nominations this year and kind of giving our thoughts about these categories. Now, I'm not gonna go through every category, just the ones that I think are cool.
Speaker 1: Like, we're not talking about who did the best music because who cares? Bro, and the ones don't matter. Congrats to you for doing music, but no, we're not. We're not doing this.
Speaker 2: So the first one they got on the list is Best Picture. And I'll tell you what they got here. They got Pogonia F One, Frankenstein, ham Knett, Marty Supreme, One Battle after another, The Secret Agent, Sentimental Value, Sinners.
Speaker 1: And Train Dreams. So what y'all got for predictions? For this one? I think is gonna win. Yeah, Okay. I hate the.
Speaker 3: Fact that they've extended how many Best Picture noms can get because that's the.
Speaker 1: Hell of categories. I think Best Picture.
Speaker 3: Based off of the chatter, and I'm seeing it's between senators and one bout out another. They're kind of give it to Paul Thomas Anderson though, even though I think Sinners should get it because it was like a what the fuck kind of It felt like it felt like it's the get Out of this Year, where it's just like a movie that no one really thought was going to do anything and then it just blew up.
Speaker 1: Oh I disagree with y'a on that one.
Speaker 4: I think people in that high expectations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it had like this high exp not Oscar nomb That's what I mean expectations. But when you say a movie that people didn't think we're going to do anything. I think that the second the trailer dropped, I think the majority of film people were like, Oh, we got.
Speaker 1: To go see this. This is gonna be amazing, you know, whereas get Out.
Speaker 2: If you remember uh Nick, when when the trailer for get Out came out, there was like five of us that were like, Oh, get Out's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Everyone else was like this is gonna be stupid. Yeah, I get you.
Speaker 3: I guess I was just going off of the fact of this is like Ryan Kouegler's first since like Fruitville, it was like his first, Like I'm putting them like this is my movie, like this is my creativity, Like it was a risk because the way they talk about like how you even did the deal and everything felt like it was like this is a big risk for the studio and it hit. But but I still think even with all that being said, I think one batter after another is gonna win.
Speaker 2: I can see Centers taking it, but it'll probably be one battle after another. I do wonder if the Academy is going to be like, shit, we better give it to them, because like, hey, it's gonna be one of the other.
Speaker 3: To me, it's like either Best Director or Best Picture is going to want Like they're not going to give both of them. Like I'll be shocked that like Sinners wins both of those categories or one nothing.
Speaker 1: I feel you, I feel you, all right. It feels like no, I was saying.
Speaker 5: It feels like the momentum late has been with one battle after another. I'm hopeful in thinking that somehow Centers may pull it off, even if it's for the reasons you said, Mike, to get a blast ball something.
Speaker 4: I think they might even try to do a Marty Supreme thing with all attraction that is, No, not that movie.
Speaker 1: Is that movie ain't nowhere near either one of those two movies. You know it's not.
Speaker 4: I agree with you with that, the hype that has been getting I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted to give Timothy Shallow made his moment.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get to that. So the next category is performance by an actor in a leading role. We have Timothy Shala made for Marty Supreme. We have Leo for one Battle after another. We have Ethan Hawf for Blue Moon. We got Michael b for Sinners, and we got Wagner Mora for the secret Agent. So this is where I think they'll give Timothy shallow ma his moment.
Speaker 1: This agreed.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked to say that, Mike, because that litt that's the hardest. That's one of the most like hardest lists that I've seen as far as like nominations, Like you can pick a lot of those guys and make a case. But I see Leo. I think it's usually with best actors, like the last motherfucker you think, And I think Leo will get this even though because like it's too much like I think the Academy be like, we can't choose sides between Timothy Shadowy.
Speaker 1: Or or Michael B.
Speaker 3: Jordan, So let's just give Leo another Oscar. He should have got two by now anyway.
Speaker 4: Okay, I could see that thinking, Nick, But I also think that they kind of reward you for the difficulty most of the times, and when you get somebody that's playing three roles in one film, it would be hypocritical for them to ignore that.
Speaker 3: I don't think people, I don't eve think people acknowledge that he did three roles. They just see one, Nigga.
Speaker 1: It's three.
Speaker 4: Breaking out Vampire version like Beola Davis started this narrative and said he played stack Smoke and the vampire version.
Speaker 1: Knock it off.
Speaker 4: Actors are saying this, how many Spike, how many said it's called traction. Though everybody, all the Hollywood circles was saying, well, he really did play three roles in this movie.
Speaker 1: He played three times.
Speaker 3: He's not played fire sack for about five minutes anything.
Speaker 2: I think this is between Timothy, Charla May and Leo and I think they're gonna give it to Timothy Shallaman.
Speaker 5: I think Timothy's gonna win this, and that's all they've been talking about. And I think recency bias is going to get him. Playing two roles not three should reward them. But nah, I think it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Tim I'm just shocked that this may be the last nomination Michael B.
Speaker 1: Jordan gets as a Best Actor. Why you say that? Because I just don't see him being doing better than this like this, Yeah, like what more can he do? I know?
Speaker 3: I mean, you can always you can make the case like Denzel it took him a while to get his and so so did other actors, black actors and stuff. But I you like you like I think one of y'all mentioned the difficulty of him. He played two characters very well and it was one of the most highest grossing movies domestically of the year.
Speaker 1: You will give it if you give it to Timothy Chalome over him, it's like, bro, what else?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: I like Michael B.
Speaker 3: Jordan, but I don't think he's gonna do a better performance moving forward than this.
Speaker 4: Probably the movie of Mike be Jordan's career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably the movie I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought Creed Won was that, but I think this is better. Like this shows that he's like a really good actor.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I do not agree that this is will you Knock It Off? I do not agree that this is the movie of his career.
Speaker 1: Michael B.
Speaker 2: Jordan's still very young. I could one hundred percent see Michael B. Jordan doing something after this where it's like, oh shit, I did not know he had that in him. I think The Centers is an amazing film, but I think at this point it's getting hyped to the point where people are just like, there's nothing in the universe that can ever be better than this movie, And I don't think that's the case at all.
Speaker 1: I do think that if you gave mine.
Speaker 2: I think that the reason he could lose has nothing to do with his performance. He gave an amazing performance, but he's up against someone that he is a Hollywood darling, and Timothy Chalomay is a good looking, well spoken, charismatic little white boy.
Speaker 1: See I looking all right?
Speaker 2: He's a Hollywood darling right now.
Speaker 1: And that's all I'm saying. I do agree with y'all. Michael B.
Speaker 2: Jordan, in my opinion, should get it because I think he did an amazing job. I don't think Timothy Shallo May did that amazing of a job where he shouldn't fortake Michael B.
Speaker 5: And on top of that, Mike, they win both ways because Timothy Chalomy is also Jewish, so they get another one. Black guys and Jewish guy's like, hey, we can't lose with this one.
Speaker 2: I ain't touching that is anything wrong?
Speaker 1: You got it? Can whatever you say. It's either way a minority one, hey man.
Speaker 2: The next category is interesting performance by an actor in a supporting role. Actually, before I move on, did anybody see Blue Moon with Ethan Hawk?
Speaker 1: Because I just saw the trailer for it. It's like a period piece old times.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, no, no, I can give a fun I'm cool on that. Then all right, it's not like a Spike ass movie though, all right, performance by an actor in a supporting role. So for this one, we got Benicio del Toro in one Battle after another. We got Jacob Elordi and Frankenstein. We got my man, my motherfucking man, Delroy Lindo in Sinners.
Speaker 1: We also have.
Speaker 2: Sean Penn for one Battle after another, and we got Stelling scars Guard for sentimental value. And that's the only one out of this whole list that I'm not familiar with. But who do y'all think? Who do y'all think it's this one?
Speaker 3: Let me ask you if y'all this was Frankenstein that good that he should have been nominated.
Speaker 1: I think he did an amazing job. Yes, I think he gonna win it.
Speaker 3: Then his profiles begetting, his profile's be getting up there, and he got this Valentine's Day movie with Margot Robbie coming out that I.
Speaker 1: Think is gonna be a hit. Jacob Belordi, the guy from Euphoria, Nate Nate from You Nate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see his profile getting like a lot more attention, and usually like to your point, Mike. With these oscars, they do try to at least capitalize either on like somebody who has legacy and we haven't given him an award, or someone who's up and coming so we can get it out the way early. And I think he's one in that, like the Timothy Shana may up and come in. Let's give him it now so you don't have to worry about it later. Even though I desperately want Delroy to get his flowers while he's still here, I think he's he should have got one. He should have got a supporting oscar for the Five Bloods.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree, one hundred percent. He should have absolutely got one for Five Bloods. But I think that if if Jacoberlori wins for Frankistan, I think it'll be a pretty big upset.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be del Roy.
Speaker 4: I think they're gonna give it to Benicio del Tour or Seanpainn. I think del to Oh yeah, Sean Payn could get it too, but I think Benicio del Toro go win.
Speaker 1: But between the two, which one did you enjoy the character most in that movie?
Speaker 4: I enjoyed, out of the whole list of del Roy the most.
Speaker 1: But I think Benice, uh Venice and Champagne. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Between them two.
Speaker 4: Benicio, MM, I like, like, just be I'm sorry, I totally overtalked you go ahead, and I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I enjoy his character more.
Speaker 2: M I think Sean Penn did did a bang up job playing a white racist.
Speaker 1: I believe. I believe every single bit of him.
Speaker 3: So he and I feel like he had to get into a certain character too, Like his mannerisms, the way he did his hair, it was just like he lived in that character. Yes, Benicio is just a cool motherfucker, you know what I mean. Like, I mean not to say he didn't act.
Speaker 1: Well, it was just like he was. I mean, I've seen him do that character. I feel like in other roles. I was gonna say the same thing. I feel like I've seen Benicio do that.
Speaker 2: I've not seen Sean Penn, who is very much the opposite of that character.
Speaker 1: I've not seen Sean Penn do that. So if anybody on.
Speaker 2: This list beats out Delroy, I feel like I would accept it from Sean Penn. Again, I did not see sentimental value, so I don't know anything about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm going with Sean Penn. Personally, I did George del Roy. It would be cool to see Delroy win bute, chearampagne, boughted it.
Speaker 1: Man did he really did? He really did?
Speaker 6: Like from the Walk from that that weird grunting and like everything.
Speaker 1: Man, he just was.
Speaker 6: He just seemed uncomfortable, like, yeah, you would have thought he was the start of the film. You would have thought he was the star.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, I want del Roy, but I would accept Sean Penn. All right, let's move on to the next category. We have performance by an actress in a leading role. We have uh Teana Taylor for the Rip, and we have.
Speaker 1: All because we just talked about it as well.
Speaker 2: We got Jesse Buckley in Hamnett, which I have not seen. If I had legs, I'd kick you. We got Kate Hudson in Songs Sung Blue, Renate rihanns Fay for sentimental value, and we got Emma Stone for Bogonia. So this is this is a hard one because I've seen I've only seen two of these films, and for both of those films, I think the women gave an amazing performance.
Speaker 1: So what say y'all, I'm.
Speaker 6: Going with the stone. Uh Kate Kate Hudson was good and sing song blue. She was really good in that. I don't know if y'all seen that.
Speaker 1: Hell now I'm gonna see that ship.
Speaker 6: It's it's actually on TV right now. I think it's on Prime or something like that. But yeah, it was a screen under seen for me, and I was like, I don't want to see this, but then when I saw it, it's actually actually okay. But I definitely go in the stone witha so here stone.
Speaker 1: Anybody else I ain't see. Yeah, I ain't even see.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen a majority of these. But the way they're talking about handing it, I think that motherfucker gonna get it.
Speaker 1: I think that's gonna do. It's go sweet whatever they say. Hand that maybe the best movie of the year. Like damn, Like people fuck with that movie for some reason. It's a love story and people love love stories. Yeah, it's yeah, people like that kind of shit. I haven't seen it. I have no desire. I did see If I have legs, I kick you.
Speaker 2: I saw that, like the movie like that, But I think rose Burn always kills.
Speaker 1: It and this was no different. I think she killed. What did you say? I said, yeah, she was good.
Speaker 6: I saw that one too, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me personally, it would be it would be between Rose Byrne and Emma Stone. Emma Stone is quickly becoming the woman at this point. A couple more categories here. We got performance by an actress in a supporting role. We have l Fanning. I guess i'ma have to see sentimental value because God damn its in everything. Uh. We got inga IBB's daughter Lilius in sentimental value. We got Amy Madigan for Weapons one me Masoku for Sinners. I'm not sure who that is.
Speaker 3: That's the Room No, no, no, that's the Voodoo, the woman from the Poul Wolverine, the black Woman.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay. And then now this is not a joke. Tianna Taylor one battle after another. So who's taking this one, y'all? Definitely not. She wanted to go to go for them. That's how.
Speaker 4: They said. It's usually a precursor for who's gonna win. She's gonna win, She's not gonna I think they're gonna give.
Speaker 1: It to I think they're gonna I think it's between.
Speaker 3: The Woman from Sinners and Uh, me, Yeah, I think with me. I think I forgot who else you mentioned, But I think it's it's it's a two women race, and that I think the nominations most I hate. I feel like when people are nominated twice in a category for the same movie, it.
Speaker 1: Kind of cancels them out.
Speaker 3: So I think it's gonna be I'll put my stock on the woman from Sinners, who is.
Speaker 1: The person from Weapons that the Yeah, she needs to win. I don't think they're not gonna keep the most memorable performance.
Speaker 7: So horror movies are still very, very hard to win stuff like this, So I don't I don't see her winning.
Speaker 1: But she did she like? Did you like her performance?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I thought she was great.
Speaker 2: I thought she was fucking great. But was it an Oscar worthy performance? That's what I was saying, Like it was a really good movie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, are they doing like a.
Speaker 1: I wish they wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't because it always we don't need it. Like I wish Hollywood would get in the habit of one and done films. Not everything needs to be a franchise. A lot of times when you start making things franchises, it turns into a fucking joke, like, why do we.
Speaker 1: Need a backstory for Gladys? She was a wing?
Speaker 6: Random?
Speaker 1: It was random though, That's what made it so good. It's like, just leave it alone.
Speaker 2: It's like people that still my mom still wants a goddamn sequel to get out and I'm like, no.
Speaker 1: You don't need it. It's perfect as a one and done film. But what do I know?
Speaker 8: If you would like an AD free version of this episode and many episodes to come, head over to our patreon at patreon dot com. Forward slash frames per second and become a patron, where you can receive an AD free version every week, as well as exclusive content and additional conversation in these episodes.
Speaker 1: Now, let's get back to the show.
Speaker 2: Now, this is an interesting one. We're gonna go ahead and skip all the way down. Jalen's gonna get mad. I don't really fel like we need to talk about animated films and we didn't. I think Ken's probably the only one that saw half of this shit. Maybe Nick, But let's go ahead and jump down to directing.
Speaker 1: Achievement.
Speaker 2: In directing, we have Chloe Zau for Hamnet. Now that's the only reason I want to see the movie because I didn't realize she did it.
Speaker 1: I think Steven Spielberg produced it.
Speaker 3: And she did it like it's it's like a yeah, it's a again.
Speaker 1: I do want to watch it now because it's getting gassed up.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll go ahead and watch it just because, I mean, I thought Past Lives was fucking brilliant, so I wouldn't mind seeing that. But so, yeah, So we got Chloe Zoo for Hamnet, we got Josh Safti for Marty Supreme. We got Paul Thomas Anderson for One Battle after another. We got Joaquin Treer for Sentimental Value. We got Ryan Krugler for Sinners. So this is this is a stacked lineup outside of Jhein, who I just don't know. Maybe he's amazing. Maybe Ciniment of Value is incredible. I haven't seen it, but this is a stacked This is a stacked lineup, y'all. So who you think is gonna take it?
Speaker 3: I found out that in one hundred years there hasn't been a black director who won this award. YEP, if they overskip ever, it's like getting the last Year and I guess since the Oscars, if they over skip Ryan Coogler for Paul Thomas Anderson because I think it's just between those two. As much as I think Chloe's Au is a great director and it's getting a lot of hype, I feel like it's just it's between Paul Thomas Anderson and Ryan Coogler. I think Ryan Kueger has to win this because it's his baby.
Speaker 1: He wrote directed it.
Speaker 3: I know you can say the same thing about Pta, but this was much a much more gamble like One About after Another is one of PTA's best films. It's not his best film. You could argue Centers is Ryan Coogler's best because like everything else is like based off comic books and other stuff, like, Yeah, this has to be him.
Speaker 1: Anybody disagree with that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think there were ever a time for a black director to win one, it would be with this film and Ryan Coogler, with his resume like that, this is the time. Even if it's they feel like they giving it to him, just because I still feel like he's with his body of work in this movie, it's.
Speaker 1: Time and he should win it. How many years it's been, Nick Honey.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying this and this is the I think this is the hundredth anniversary of the Oscars. This is the last time it's gonna be on ABC too. It's going to YouTube after this if they go one hundred and one years. Like to me, it's like, bro, fuck the Oscars. They don't give a fuck about none of the ship be great. What more can you ask the black director to due to win an oscar in this.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm Yeah. The conversation around around one battle after another, which is sort of crazy to me. The amount of super hype that movie is. I don't understand it, you know.
Speaker 9: I think I think it's gonna be one hundred and one year, isn't it.
Speaker 3: They can take out the black spots out. If Centers doesn't win anything, it has to win Best Director.
Speaker 1: I kind of agree with that one.
Speaker 2: I think that's the that's the that's the award for this movie to win. If it does not win for Best Director, then I think Hollywood is going to burn hmm. Not obviously, not literally, but I think that are going to be so upset that they're gonna be like, Nope, We're not even fucking with Hollywood.
Speaker 1: They're never gonna beat the racist label.
Speaker 2: Like, I just don't see anything other than trouble if they don't give it to right Coogler. And it's not even like I'm saying he deserves a Participation Trophy or a DEI Award, like he fucking deserves it. The way that movie was directed was incredible. And like they said, Paul Thomas Anderson has been around, He's got other movies. This is Ryan Cougler's baby. I think Hollywood would be tripping if they didn't give it to him.
Speaker 1: Going against the grain. Ain't saying nothing. Who that is?
Speaker 6: Bro?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did Past Lives. Yeah, but I ain't really care for Past Lives.
Speaker 2: Oh me and Ay liked it, That's what I'm thinking. Okay, I'll be confusing the rights sometimes. All right, so let's let's drop down because I don't know that y'all watched a lot of documentaries for last year.
Speaker 1: I didn't. Film editing is not that interesting right here? What wait?
Speaker 2: Is not?
Speaker 1: It is interesting? Go ahead, get you let Rod talk about it. Okay, the nominations to see if you even see these.
Speaker 2: Movies film editing, because everybody here is so fascinated by editing. Okay, advancement and film editing. Rod, we got f one, We got Marty Supreme. We got one battle after another, we got sentimental value again, and we got sinners.
Speaker 1: So what you what you got value? I know this movie apparently.
Speaker 3: One has to win that. If you saw it in the theater rock Yeah, I saw it in the theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah that that sound quality was crazy, So I was down. It is a different thing, Nick, that's on here too. Well.
Speaker 3: I like the way they were able to chop it up to like to make you feel like you were in the car like with them.
Speaker 1: I feel like the editing was like really.
Speaker 6: Editing was really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, took a lot of work.
Speaker 10: Get on the other side of the room and do it.
Speaker 3: I feel like a kid when I was at the theater. Kid, I was like, I was looking around some bull ship.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Nick says, f one, anybody else got a different one?
Speaker 1: I said that one too, that was okay. I said, yeah, damn, I'm sorry. I know I said at first, I'm one.
Speaker 4: I didn't say more than Supreme might have something to say about that.
Speaker 1: No one from that movie.
Speaker 4: I mean, they gonna give that movie an award if it ain't this one, it's gonna be Best Pictures.
Speaker 2: So that movie is getting on the Wars. I agree with Spike, it's gonna get something. Yeah, I guess it was edited well, but you know, I don't really see centers on that.
Speaker 1: On that list.
Speaker 6: Editor Sentner's has some good editing moments too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess outside of your average filmmaker person, just regular folks, I don't. I don't know how many of us noticed how good the editing was. I did notice how good the editing was for Martiny Supreme, even though I didn't like the movie that much. And one battle after another, honestly, cha.
Speaker 1: Amazing movie scenes. Yes last year. Yeah, I agree. I agree.
Speaker 2: So there's a bunch of international films, but none of us. I'm sure none of us saw these. A couple of these were on my list, so I'll run through them real quick.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Seek Agent, which is a Brazilian film. I've heard amazing things about that movie. It Was Just an Accident, which is a French film. Sentimental Value Again, which apparently is a Norwegian film, surat from Spain. I can't remember who told me. I think it might have been Sadistic that actually told me that I need to see this movie, and I have not watched it yet, so sadistic if you're listening, I apologize. I will get to it. And the voice of hind Rajab which is from Tunisia. So congrats to all of them. A couple more here, let's talk about okay, last two adapted screenplay and original screenplay. So for writing adapted screenplay, we have Bogonia, we have Frankenstein, we got Hamnett, we got one Battle after another, and we got Train Dreams. I didn't see Trained dream yet either, but I heard it was really good.
Speaker 1: Would you never see a movie cos not if it was written by like Kyler Perry or.
Speaker 4: Like, I'm not going to Perry Trained Dreams my nightmare that.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be like human Centipede. I'm not trying to see that in the at home. I guess I didn't think about I don't think I ever really watched this category or even really think that hard about this category. But but yeah, screenplay itself, like what are y'all what do y'all got for this? Denominations again, Frankenstein, Hamnett, one battle after a another, and Train Dreams.
Speaker 1: I think I think is going to get that just because it's like Shakespeare.
Speaker 3: The Hollywood likes to pat itself on the back, and that's one of the movies that's gonna be like, Okay, this is old to that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: I wish i'd seen Hamnet. But I could make an argument for Frankenstein.
Speaker 2: I was about to say that Ken I would not be surprised if Frankenstein got this one at all.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen a lot of the one that I have seen, but I feel like it was a great original screenplay.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's adapted. It's adapted. Yeah, I believe was a book.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So I could see Frankenstein winning it just because of what they did with the story for Frankenstein. But I can also see Pagonia winning honestly, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So for the last one, the last one we want to talk about today, this is writing original screenplay, and then I have one more question to ask y'all before we wrap up. But original screenplay Blue Moon, which I didn't see. It was just an accident which I did not see. Marty supreme sentimental value I haven't seen. And sinners what.
Speaker 1: Y'all got for this? What do you say screenplay?
Speaker 3: Probably sentimental value wins this one. Nah, But I'm just saying they're not going they're not gonna give Sences how much their animated film to ship. I think it's gonna get the Original Screenplay based on everybody talks about that, or I would love to see Sinners get it as well. Yes, but I think that again, the Academy ain't gonna give them everything. They're going like, all right, you're either gonna get Best Director of Screenplay, which one you want?
Speaker 1: I think I think it deserves both of those.
Speaker 2: I think it deserves Best Director and Best Best Original Screenplay because out of all of these movies, I think Sinners, I mean, I didn't see the other one, so I'm talking out of my ass, but so I guess it's between that and Marty Supreme. I think Sinners was a much more daring screenplay, especially making the whole first hour of a film, this old school black drama and then in a heartbeat flipping into a B a B horror movie. That's not that's not easy to pull off, especially when you're I know people are listening like, oh, you're at least talking a bad race, like everything to be a bad race.
Speaker 1: Well it is when you're a black filmmaker.
Speaker 2: I think doing something that daring is a lot harder than say, if fucking you know James Cameron or Quentin Tarantino did it, you know.
Speaker 1: So I think I think Sinators deserves this too, and for having.
Speaker 3: A music video in the middle of all that too, Like I don't know, maybe people people.
Speaker 1: May not like that scene, but like I ain't say nothing.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, like, but that's that's sup that, Like no one's ever gonna really do that in a movie, like, especially like a black director having a gut to be like fuck it, if I'm gonna throw everything against the wall, I'm throwing everything against the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, Well that's my take. Anybody got anything different?
Speaker 4: I agree with you Sinners. The there that it took well, it's almost like two different movies. And then to ask Michael B. Jordan to play that role like it's that that definitely wins.
Speaker 1: It for me. Agree, one hundred agree, yep.
Speaker 2: So my last question before we wrap up is anything missing? And I mean from any of the categories, Do y'all have anything missing? Or are y'all surprised that that there's any film, any actor whatever that did not make the list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm surprised Karate Kids Legends. Then there.
Speaker 1: You gotta watch.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I'm going to watch the movie.
Speaker 6: I think, what's the movie did we review where the girl took the serum and turned into a younger girl?
Speaker 1: That was last year? That was last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that she was nominated. Uh, yeah, she was nominated last year. She should have worked about her substance.
Speaker 1: Su Okay, that sounded like our killing movie. He wrote that that's the ideal movie. Actually he was donated for best anyway.
Speaker 6: And what I guess for me, like, at what point will superhero movie start getting nominated for things?
Speaker 1: Never? So I think I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't agree all the way would never, But I do think it's going to be a long time because it took this long for horror movies to even start getting included in the conversation. I think superhero movies are taken less seriously than horror movies right now. I think Jordan Peele came along, Eggers came along, Buddy that did Hereditary whose name I can't think of right now, Arid Astor, those guys came along and they changed the perception of what horror movies are and can be that has not happened yet for superhero movies.
Speaker 1: I feel like Thunderboats.
Speaker 6: I feel like Thunderboats will hound every everybody's list this year, and not not for the superhero aspect, but just for the overall like dealing with depression and things like that.
Speaker 1: I felt like, if.
Speaker 6: It was a time, it should have been a movie like that, you know, So that is still disappointing that, you know, because they do what's her name? She did a good job in that movie, the one that plays out Florence put Florence Pugh. Yeah, I mean she's still Florence Pugh, which she gets nominated for other shit, Like I don't understand like why she wouldn't get nominated, you know, for this for anything.
Speaker 3: I think the subject matter is like the biggest thing about it, because yep, people are gonna be like you need to tell me that. Like I get why it's a good movie, but it's like for how the Oscars considered like what should get awards, it's like the subject matters. It's somewhat like grounded in reality or realism or some type of issue or ideology that people can rub around, not to say, like mental health isn't that, but mental health is still kind of even new to even talk about.
Speaker 1: In certain ways in films.
Speaker 3: But doing it in a superhero movie, to me, if it was going to get nominated, it should have been like endgame, just like how they did like Lord of the Rings, where it's like this is this was an achievement for Hollywood to tell a ten year story, you know.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I just don't understand it because like you got movies like bogonya right, which is like about aliens and shit, I mean, and technically superhero movies is about aliens and all types of shit. So I just don't understand, like it's not even in discussion, like like, and these movies make so much money for uh, for these people.
Speaker 1: But if you talk to film snobs and you know this, Rod, if you talk to certain film knobs.
Speaker 2: And you start talking this type of shit, they're gonna dismiss you immediately. They're gonna be like, are you fucking serious? If you go around certain circles, especially the circles I've been around, if you're like, because I've gotten those looks, you know, as pretentious of an asshole as I am, people are always surprised when I'm like no, like Endgame is fucking dope, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I liked Superman.
Speaker 2: They're like what and it's like, yeah, those are good movies, but the Academy doesn't take those kinds of movies seriously.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I know they don't. I was just saying, and that's why I asked the questions about.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, maybe maybe depend on how Doomsday goes.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I think at this point maybe the peak because to me, like Endgame would have like also let Hollywood talk about like the peak of superhero movies and kind of capture that moment in time. But now it's just kind of like if you're not even nominated Endgame, I don't know what else, like what else coming afterwards will even be get up to that level to where it's like, oh, this should have been nominated.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Jen put the perfect comment in the in the text, which is why his punk ass needs to be on these episodes. But he just said, talking to talking to to film nerds and film snobs about Marvel films, it's like trying to talk to hip hop heads about Drake. They're not going to take you seriously like that you're talking to some motherfucker and Tims that's from New York that listens to nothing but WU and you're like, listen, Drake is actually a really good rapper.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be exited from the conversation. They're like, all right, bro, it's the same thing with Marvel films, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I'm with you, Rod, it's not fair and it should change at some point, but Nick is onto something. If Doomsday does something different, maybe, but I don't see Doomsday changing the perception either. It's Robert Downey Junior dressed up like Doctor.
Speaker 1: Doom, you know what I mean. It's still Spider Man, and it's nah nah.
Speaker 2: If it was gonna happen, it would have happened with Thunderbolts, or it would have happened with Logan.
Speaker 1: But h but I guess we'll see. We'll see. So I guess we'll be.
Speaker 2: Tuning in for the show and hopefully we'll get Nick back to do a recap of how the actual awards went.
Speaker 1: But it's not till March. We got plenty of time, and it's not I thought they usually had it in February. They waited till March. Well, I thought war shows.
Speaker 3: I thought all the war shows because you know that to be trying to cram all this stuff in Black history so we can forget that it is Black history.
Speaker 1: One. We got the super Bowl All Star Weekend and the Grammy's and ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, but it's definitely in March with Colonel O'Brien, so we'll.
Speaker 1: Be tuning in. We'll definitely come back and get our thoughts about how things went.
Speaker 2: And let us know if y'all know some movies that got left out and do we all.
Speaker 1: Need to see fucking tentamental value? Are we missing out? Let us know? And should Spike review twenty eight years later?
Speaker 2: Bone Temple? Let us know, Bone Temple. I forgot to do it for Spike review the Bone Temple. Should Spike review the Bone in Bone Temple?
Speaker 1: Let us know and we will see y'all next. We're all peace