Speaker 1: On the Andy More Automotive Group potline. He knows I love him, but he forgot about me. A couple of days ago from ESPN, the senior writer Dan Wetzel joins us, my pal, did you forget about me?
Speaker 2: You don't? You know?
Speaker 3: You don't calling up anymore. I don't spend flowers, you know, right?
Speaker 2: Like you know? No, it was bad. It was bad.
Speaker 3: I am sorry you and more importantly to your listeners.
Speaker 1: Oh it is It is all good, pal. You know that you know how much I love you out there too. And hey, speaking of love, let's go the opposite of love. Ride here hate? Would I you in the football program be the most hated in college football? And the landscape right now? Is that what we're looking at?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't think they're hated. Why because they're they're they're the champs.
Speaker 1: Uh well, we'll look at the sec rallying in the troops, you know, Ohio stateon Michigan. You're looking at this infiltrator. You know, it used to be the doormat of college football, and now all of a sudden it's now the defending national champion. It seems like, hey, everything is all great until a team like this Infiltrates gets in and wins the national title. Now everything has to change. Why so much hate, Dan, Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, jealousy? I would say, I don't know. I mean, the one thing that Indiana did.
Speaker 3: Was blow out the excuse for about SUTI programs that's not more and why you.
Speaker 2: Can't compete, and.
Speaker 3: That to me it's the most fascinating part of their run, because I think you could reasonably sat around and said, hey, you know, how good can I don't know, you know, Missouri be? How good can Michigan State really be? How good can Minnesota? Well, Indiana was sixteen and uh so, uh, that's how good you can be if you get the right guy and and you're you get the right alignment and you get everything going.
Speaker 2: Uh, there's that, But I'd say there's a lot of jealousy. There's a lot of concern. When you're on top, you're gonna take the shots. But I don't think you're anywhere near the most heeded.
Speaker 1: So Dan Wetzell of ESPN ESPN dot COM's on the Andy Moore Automotive Group potline, how much longer do you think that the whole landscape of how you go about building a team and running you know, running a program within I L with a transfer portal. How much longevity do you think this ultimately has, Dan.
Speaker 2: I would think it.
Speaker 3: I think they'll they'll try to come up with some stuff, but there's only so much they can really limit it. At this point. The money is there, even even if they got some kind of ability to limit ants. Ferst to a degree where you know, they talk about you only have five years to play or something, and you have one one transfer without penalty, which I think is fine. You know, you can't transfer every year, but if you have one transfer without penalty and then you're always allowed to transfer once you've graduated. To become a grad student, you basically got two and three and a half to four years three years. Sometimes these kids graduate pretty quick. So I think the roster movements kind of here to say say it's about building a roster. I don't think they're going to be able to get you know, there's definitely people in the SEC to look back at the glory days of yeah, Georgia and Alabama got all the recruits and that's why they always won.
Speaker 2: But I just don't see that getting bad. There's no way to put.
Speaker 3: That that tooth space back in the tube. So wow, limits, But I don't think it's going to totally affect in Indiana.
Speaker 1: Hey, Dan, is that why we see the SEC? There seems to be a little bit of freak out going on there with Greg Sankee and and really lot of the coaches and the teams. Is that what they see? Do they see the longer term situation that they're going to have to deal with with this college football landscape that they never had to prior.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and like some of these complaints, if you if you if there was one thing about SEC media days, what we kept hearing is the Committee has to respect our strength to schedule right, And I'm not unsympathetic to that argument. I think the depth of the SEC is better than anywhere else. I think it's better. You know, the eighth nine tenth best team is better than maybe the eight nine tenth of the Big Ten, or they certainly care more. There's not many teams that are just sort of there kicking along your UCLA's or your Rutgers or whatever. But if you look at last year, the Committee absolutely gave the SEC the benefit the doubt. They put Oklahoma in the playoffs that didn't really have a great win. Their best win was Michigan, but that wasn't a very good team, and they got in without even debate. Alabama survived a terrible loss in the SEC championship game and got in. Notre Dame wasn't a Big ten team, but it was Notre Dame that got left out. And what did Oklahoma and Alabama do the respected because of their schedule, Well, they must be pretty good. Alabama beat Oklahoma and then they got beat thirty eight to three or so it was at least thirty eight to three in the end. They got run off the field at.
Speaker 2: The road balls. So like, what are you complaining about?
Speaker 3: Like, you got your chance and your teams didn't didn't show anything. They haven't had a SEC hasn't had a team in the title game in three year, let alone win it. They're losing significantly, you know, they're they're they're grasping as things to complain about. But getting more SEC teams into the playoff, because what's that going to show? Uh, you know, we're not seeing these SEC teams make you know, huge runs. I guess Ole Miss did last year that was pretty good. They made the final four. But you know, we're it's not like you're you're you're watching these fourth or fifth place teams and all of a sudden, the final.
Speaker 2: Four three STD teams.
Speaker 3: So I just think they're they're scrambling looking for something because they spent so many years dominant and then crowing about that dominance as is understandable, and they don't have that right now.
Speaker 1: So Dan Wetzel VESPN ESPN dot com, Dan, friend of the shows on the Andy Moore Auto Motive Group Potline Speedway City Garage, our location. Jeff's going to rejoin the second Doug Bowles Top of the Hour is going to be here live. Uh, your staked out home base is Michigan. Dusty May is a long time high school friend of mine.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: He bails after a national title, goes to Dallas. And I do know this, Dan, I know that that was always a goal of his, like any other coach, coach at the highest level, and he was offered and he took. But what is left behind? What is going on right now in an arbor? And was there a lot in your opinion of what you hear and what you know going up there that helped maybe him consider even more so that the NBA should be his next stop and be his next stop this year.
Speaker 2: You know, I kind of.
Speaker 3: Feel like Dusty was above the above the Fray as much as their Michigan keeps finding ways to put themselves in the headlines here.
Speaker 2: You know, the Harbaugh error was over.
Speaker 3: Sharon Moore scandals were really personal at this point. I mean, he got cheating on his wife with a staff member. That's not that's not really a NCA violation. He had a lot of problems, but Dusty had his own program running and they had plenty of backing all that, and obviously he knew he would capable winning national teams there.
Speaker 2: I just think, like you said.
Speaker 3: Anybody knows Dusty for a long time. The NBA's long intrigued him, and you know, I think he's gonna do pretty well. We'll see, But even if he does it, the thing about going to the NBA is it's not.
Speaker 2: A career killer.
Speaker 3: Michigan is a very good place to coach basketball, but it's not like it's the only place, and.
Speaker 2: There are probably places even better. So if Dusty may a couple.
Speaker 3: Of years it doesn't work out in Dallas, he can have the number one job whatever's open that year, All these schools will beg to get him. Whether it's you know, Kansas or North Carolina or even not you or whatever whatever's.
Speaker 2: Open that year, he'll go get it. So I think it did. I don't think one had so much to do with the other. If he had stayed he was, he was in great shape.
Speaker 1: Blinton. He always told me how important he was as a part of his staff in his program. And obviously now he gets annoyed there in an arbor to lead that that program and that team as the defending champion. You look back at his time at Oklahoma State and there was nothing really great about that. But I just know what Dusty tells me, and he was a huge part of the success of that program while he was in an r. But but what do you think about the guidance there moving forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do it.
Speaker 3: A good movie kept them, kept the roster together for next year, and we'll see. Think about Mike Boyton, he is is a tenure in Oklahoma State does not stand out. However, two of the years they were like banned from the nca Basketball Tournament. He's dealing with a lot of sanctions. That program has lost a lot of juice. I think the rise of the Oklahoma City Thunder has played a role in sort of the de emphasis of I wasn't a de emphasis, but the last there's just not the passion around Oklahoma State and Okahoma basketball that there once was when those were the those are the teams. That's that's where basketball fans had to turn. And now, okay, see is so good. He did coach Kate Cunningham, who happens to be the biggest star in the biggest city of the state of Michigan. So you know, he's an experienced guy, but he's young. So we'll see he's gonna have a great chance to win the job. It's a two year contract, which is basically a one year contract, but uh, you don't have to get asked, you know, in the middle of November if you win or lose a game, are you coming back or not. It's a pretty smart contract. So we'll see he's got a great chance because they he kept almost all of the roster together and it should be a pretty good roster.
Speaker 1: I get down here really soon, all right, Mat, It's always great to have you on. We're going to stay in touch as we get closer to the end of summer, end of the fall. But Dan, I appreciate you more than you know. Pal.
Speaker 2: Thank you, ooculator man.
Speaker 1: There's Speedway President Doug Bowles walking over here. I Doug bowls towards us. Everybody loves them right here.
Speaker 5: So what do you think of this place?
Speaker 1: This is pretty awesome. It's pretty cool. You come here twice a day, That's what I hear.
Speaker 5: Certainly first thing in the morning, right and I got to get my coffee, and it's you know, you can keep an eye on the place because it's right across the streets.
Speaker 1: So did you walk over here?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 1: I walked over there and got this. I saw you.
Speaker 5: I was going west earlier today and I saw you walking across the street.
Speaker 1: I was walking across the street. Ye, and I let cars just go ahead and go.
Speaker 5: Yep, you know what I mean, better than getting hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to get here. I will say this, what they have done with its entire area and Speedway City garage is incredible, especially for those of us that know what it looked like guys back in the eighties, for example.
Speaker 5: Yep, No, this is a huge transition. I started working here in twenty ten and you had Dawson's and you had Charlie Brown's and that was really it. And just to see what the town of Speedway's really done with me, Street's fantastic. And you know, Jeff had Founders Grounds Coffee where I spent most of my mornings before he came here. And when he said I've got this idea, I think a lot of us are like, I don't do that. This is perfect because the way his coffee shop was before and this is the vision of this is pretty impressive. And we in the idea you get a beer at what's seven in the morning, seven thirty, seven thirty, it's.
Speaker 1: Like right up my alley right there. So now, would you come up, Jeff with this idea for the beer, the cocktails, the coffee, the food and all of it strutting early?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's one of those deals where it's it's not a new concept, it's just one that needed to be refined a little bit.
Speaker 1: So there's other places that do.
Speaker 6: Coffee and cocktails and beer, but not all day long. You know, they'll stop the service of coffee at a certain point of the day. But we also know that people like their lattes later on the afternoon, So it made sense for us to do this concept, and I think it's going to work out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe it's been pretty good. So Beth, that's here, Connor's mom my wife, so she just said, I bet I lowed everybody. So she's drinking the coffee today.
Speaker 1: I go. So it's kind of running coming up here.
Speaker 5: He's running trucks tomorrow night. I saw Raceway Park and.
Speaker 1: Connor a little bit of love for that too, because I love the Truck Series race, you know what.
Speaker 5: And he's and he will he will drive anything. He's a racers racer, which is really cool. And the one thing I love about this week. You know, we have the sprint car race tonight at the Speedway. Tomorrow night, you have the trucks at Raceway Park. You had practice for both Cup and O'Reilly tomorrow, and then you got to know Riley Race on Saturday, and then on Sunday you've got the Cup race. So if you're a race fan, just the opportunity to see all the different kind of racing in just such a small area and short amount of time, is it's pretty cool for this.
Speaker 1: Does he feel comfortable and doing the trucks at O'Reilly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he did it. He did it a couple of years ago and they actually they rolled him out for practice and the car, the truck broke so he couldn't qualify, so he started last. So we got some time just running around at the back. And so I think, I think it'd be good. He's looking forward to fun. He's doing some Ram deal. So Ram Trucks has been putting celebrities or non NASCAR drivers in the cars all year long, and like Tony Stewart was in it during the Daytona five hundred weekend, So it'll be fun for him.
Speaker 1: I think, what's this weekend mean for you?
Speaker 5: It's hard to believe that we're like our thirty third brickyard, right It's it still feels like it's so new, but it's become one of the traditions here. It's really important for us, I think from a just putting continuing to put the Indianapolimotor Speedway on on the pedestal that it belongs on. And this is a great weekend. You know, we continue to see that the ticket sales slowly creeping up as it relates to a brickyard. You know, to look it's never gonna be the Indy five hundred. We had three hundred and fifty thousand people here in May, and you'll have sixty five or seventy thousand people here on Sunday, and you know that's twenty percent of the venue. So it's pretty crazy how it looks. But it's a great event. And I love working with our friends in NASCAR. We got to race with them at Phoenix last year. We'll probably race with them at Phoenix again next year, so they've been pretty good partners for us, not just here but across the board.
Speaker 1: I love the fact too. You think about the growth of the five hundred too, and you know, selling out as much, and it seems like that we have never seen the enthusiasm for that race more than we see it right now.
Speaker 5: You know, people always say, well, why is it selling out? It's selling out because our fans. It has nothing to do with really us. Our fans have just embraced the Indy five hundred again, and there are people that continue to come back and not just come back, but they bring people with them, and you know that it has nothing to do with anything other than it starts right here in this community. If you in April in this community when it comes alive and the people decorate their porches, and then it goes out from the speedway into the city of Indianapolis and Central Indiana, and we just take an awful lot of pride as a community in events, but certainly the Indy five hundred, and that's really the secret sauce that makes it so special, the people that show up every year.
Speaker 1: I got an email a little bit earlier that said, plan ahead for this weekend. What does that mean? Plane ahead?
Speaker 5: Plan ahead? I never plan ahead, so I want to have to try. So I don't how did you get here from downtown? The sixteenth Street bridge? No, right, So that's one of the big things. So people don't know it came from Bargersville. So yeah, but a lot of people that are coming from downtown or do it the way they've always done Sixteenth Street bridge clothes. It's a pain on a regular day, let alone a day where we've got events going on. So just trying to make sure people know how they're getting here, where they're going to park, when things are going to happen, just makes it a lot easier. Oftentimes, you put something in your on your mobile device and it takes you to the wrong place. So just making sure people are making their plans before they come to Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw that a little bit earlier too. So how's this gone compared to maybe the last five years?
Speaker 5: So I would say ten years ago, the Brickyard four hundred was on life support. It was really struggling. The racing product wasn't as good as we wanted it to be. It was hot in the summer. People were just sort of struggling with NASCAR in general. That was a problem. And then over the last few years we went to the road course, which gave us a little bit of bump the first year, and there I said, okay, that's a novelty and we did a couple more years. But just getting back to the oval has been good. The racing has been relatively decent. I think it continues to get better. So it's growing slowly, but it is going in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Was it close to not being here any longer?
Speaker 5: No? I think for the drivers it's still one of their crown jewels, especially when it's on the oval. The road course they struggled with. You know, unless you were Michael McDowell right, you wanted it on the you wanted it to be on the on the oval. So I don't think it was ever close to being taken away from here because it is a crown jewel. But we definitely need to get it off life support, and I think I think we've done that.
Speaker 1: What are some of the things you've done to create more enthusiasm?
Speaker 5: A lot A lot of what we've done is I think, you know, sometimes familiarity breeds contempt, right, and so the more we were familiar with the oval and the racing product and more frustrated we got with it. So when we went back to the road course and that was okay for a year, and then people were like, hang on a minute, if you race at the Indian Apposmotor Speedway, you want to win on the oval. And so I think that created some energy. Kyle Larson certainly helped the fact that Kyle was running the five hundred for the two years he did, and then doing the brick card here that was helpful. I think NASCAR's picked up some more star names, which is which has helped it. And then our one the thing I love the most about is we continue to be fifteen and under free with your flex ticket, you can actually get a grandstand ticket as an adult and bring fifteen and unders for free, and you can choose those grand stands. There's several grand stands you can do with that. So just trying to get creative how we make the customer experience better and and the value better.
Speaker 1: That is Speedway President Doug Bowles. The owner of Speedway City Garage is Jeff Matthews. You want a question for Doug. You got a question for Doug right here.
Speaker 6: You know, I talked to Doug almost every day.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you do. And Doug and I go back.
Speaker 6: We get him all, well, you know, we've actually got a drink named after him. So he comes in and he orders a certain drink, and so we got to a point where like, well we're just gonna name this drink after him. So we got the president and it's interesting and it's fun to watch and listen to the president order the president.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what he does. That's that's great.
Speaker 6: So yeah, Doug and I go back for a few years, back to diar L days when he was in a panther and I was with a small team and and uh, it's just it's it's fun to sit here today.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 1: You know, do you have a lot of relationships like that when when you go back to your days before you were a president.
Speaker 5: I mean there's a lot. Yeah, I have a handful of relationships like that.
Speaker 1: And there's nose seem like that they could be the strongest of bonds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there are. There are some of those that are really strong. And then and so we talk coffee. But we also like pinball machines. Yeah, yeah, so we get a chance we're talking about in fact, this morning we were talking about pinball machines.
Speaker 1: All right, so what are we talking about? What pinball machines?
Speaker 5: So we both have the same machine. It's called spin Out. It's a nineteen seventy five racing themed, pretty simple machine. It means more to Jeff than I love it for the racing. But he remembers that he had it in his house as a kid, And so I got mine, and I when I end up with mine, he's like, I gotta find one, and so we talk about that, and then what other racing machines do we want to get? And it's just kind of fun.
Speaker 1: So I've always wanted the Gorgaar pinball machine because I believe that was the first one that had voice activation, Like when you walk by it, Gorgaar, it's yeah, oh god, right, good money. I've always wanted and I never really understood what Gorgaar was, but it was just so awesome for the time. I've always looked for that. You guys aware as pinball officiate were off Gorgar.
Speaker 5: And it's funny when you get it. Yes, yes, I for sure, but when you get into that the number there's a lot of people that are in the pinball machines and when they hear you're into it, they start and people will call you and say, I've got this game. You want this game? And I'm pretty focused on racing related games where they're people out there looking for.
Speaker 1: Every how many are there of racing Well, we were.
Speaker 5: Looking this morning and so so there's a there's a website called pin Side, and on pin Side you can have a wish list, and I think I probably got what we would look like ten or eleven racing related games so that we're interested. There's an amazing Indy five hundred game that fortunately Beth allowed me to pick up a couple of years ago ago. That's h and that was done in nineteen ninety five ninety six. So it's got Bobby Unster's voice, and it's got Paul Page's voice, and you can hear Tom Carnegie and it it's a really it's a really cool Indy five hundred game. But there's a bunch most of the racing games were done in the nine will be right.
Speaker 1: So I just think about those games that I think about, like Playboy with Hugh Hefner and then Kiss as well. Those were some of the phenomenal pinball I mean.
Speaker 6: And Doug's got a great one that I wish I had, the Evil Kniebral.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's pretty cool. Yeah, how many do you have?
Speaker 5: Just three? I just have, But my wish list is a bunch more than that. So I keep telling Beth, we need to make more room in the basement so they can. So you know, it's funny people, But what's the third do you have?
Speaker 4: The rate?
Speaker 5: So I've got the NY five hundred games, spin Out and and Evil Canievl or the three games that that I've got.
Speaker 1: Okay, man, that's great. I love pinball games.
Speaker 5: It is really fun. It is really fun.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that a lot of the video games, the old school video games have stood the test of time. Has pinball done the same thing?
Speaker 5: Pinball's kind of come back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: You see an awful lot of people with pinball, and then you also see like the old pac Man's and the old pack you know, Misspacked. Those games also are kind of big right now. So there are a lot of people that collect them.
Speaker 1: And you have an arcade in your basement.
Speaker 5: We've got three mission not an arcade, but we have three machines in the basic.
Speaker 1: I guess the video games in there too, Gallaga, maybe the Little Donkey Kong something like that.
Speaker 5: Could be looking I'm looking okay, and the.
Speaker 1: Reason the reason why I want to bring I know, I think she's okay with it. We could put a little peer pressure on right here if you want, Yeah, we could. So what is are you involved at all with the the indiecar video?
Speaker 5: For sure? One hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Where are we going with that right now?
Speaker 5: Well, so we've had I Racing has been fantastic, So the simulator side of racing has been really really good over the last decade or so. But we haven't had a console game in twenty years, and so that's we have been really working hard to get a console game. And when I Racing decided to get into console games, they actually did the NASCAR game that's out right now. They say, hey, let's go figure out how to do an IndyCar game. So we've seen a lot of the renders and some of the some of the initial play the game. It'll it'll come out the first quarter of next year. Really excited about that and that that opens us up to a completely new audience because there are sim gamers and then there are console gamers. So the folks that really play the you know, the play PlayStations in the xboxes, that this will be that for them, and it's going to be great for our sport. And you get to play the drivers you like, the cars you like. It's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Who's on the cover.
Speaker 5: We don't have a cover yet. We're working on that, so we got a little bit of time.
Speaker 1: We got a little bit of time to get there. Yeah, so what are the options of the cover right now?
Speaker 5: You know that it's a great question. I don't know exactly what we'll so I think it's going to be called IndyCar the Game. So well, Alex Plow would be the guy that you pick, right now, yeah, Well, I mean.
Speaker 1: Will they like fight over who wants to be on the cover.
Speaker 5: No, I think we'll look at what makes the most sense for the sport. My guess is it would be the car and some and multiple drivers at that point.
Speaker 1: It's funny. My kid, who Blake is a big race fan, text me the other day. So he's watching the Sopranos series and he goes, man Aj is playing some cart the kart racing game from I think ninety nine or two thousand, I don't know which one that was, but he was actually playing it on an episode of the Sopranos. That's the type of product placement you guys need right there.
Speaker 5: And so so we're excited about the opportunities that'll that'll present for us, and I think it's gonna be a good game. And it's long, long, long, over time.
Speaker 1: Why why has it been so long?
Speaker 5: Well, I think a lot of it is we hadn't focused on it so for a period of time. When there was the split, that was a challenge, and then when you unification happened, people were just worried about getting this moving the sport forward. And I just don't know that the audience was big enough, you know, there wasn't enough momentum for somebody to take the risk of creating a game like that. And then Motorsports Games was going to do a game for us, and that that whole company went under, And really what I Racing did was stepped in and said, look, this is there's too much value in this. Let's figure out how we make it work from here. So a lot of it was just the timing wasn't right for IndyCar, and then the Motorsports game things fell apart, and now we're at the point where I think I Racing trying to step into the console game that makes sense for that.
Speaker 1: Was it disappointing with the way things were down with the weather following the World Cup match last week in Nashville?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was really disappointing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The worst part about outside races, especially Ovals's weather. First of all, everybody's in. Everybody's a weather man, right because we all have it on our apps. Even the five hundred this year, I had people saying, hey, you need to cancel the five hundred, move it to Monday. You're crazy for stay And the one thing that I've learned is you cannot make a decision on weather until you're within a few hours of the weather there. There's maybe there there. Every once in a while you know for sure you're going to get a massive rain and you can move on. But for the most part, especially here, the weather changes. So I'm just glad we stuck with it. Same thing with Nashville. What hurt us at Nashville was the lightning delays that happened essentially as soon as the as soon as the soccer game was over, not not the post game, but as soon as the game ended or when they were real close to ending. We started getting in lightning delays. But the weather was missing us other than the lightning, and if you're within eight miles, TV has to come down, all of their all of their guys have to come out, so you couldn't broadcast it anyway. So we kept having these weather delays, and then we thought we were going to be okay, and it looked like the rain was going to miss us, and then the one of the storms that was going to go to just miss us barely started blowing up, and that was that rain that caused us the issue. So a lot of people are giving us a hard time saying, well, if you'd come out of soccer earlier. Actually we had a weather delay soccer. Fox stayed with soccer longer than they planned, because what we really wanted to do was come out of soccer and go right to racing, not to pre race, but right to racing. And so they said, look, we'll stay at soccer longer to give us that opportunity, which we thought we'd get. And then ultimately that rain came and was so so much rain that we just knew we couldn't we couldn't move on, and then we you know, have to run on Monday, and running on mondays terrible. The good news about the Monday race was we we still had seven hundred and seventy five thousand viewers on a Monday afternoon, right, we had two point nine million viewers that actually watched the rain delay broadcast of IndyCars. So you know what, I think we're most excited about that. Seven to seventy five on a Monday afternoon is a pretty strong number.
Speaker 1: I look back too, as you're probably hoping for non extra time or not for that soccer match, did you find yourself say we'll just get this thing.
Speaker 5: Well, initially we were, we were not wanting not the extra time, and then when it got an extra time, right, you know, we ended up having that rain delay. So even if that non extra time hadn't lightning delay, even if that hadn't happened, we'd have been in the same situation with lightning. But yes, as the game was going, we're like, just get this game over and let us have an opportunity to go racing.
Speaker 1: And that's that's hard right there, when you're dealing with mother nature of good luck with it. Seriously, I mean, what penny to do nothing? And yeah, and it's good that you've got that good number on Monday too, because that's also a tough avenue to take, right. For sure, you never really know what you're going to get, and most of the time, if you feel you know what you're going to get, it is probably not going to be great.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, no, it was. It was not ideal. The worst part is the way it's terrible for fans. I mean, you've got fans who have to go to work but have to go back to work on Monday, or who have made other plans, and you put fans in a really, really terrible spot. We talked at one point in time as do we just try and go as late as we can and get it in on Sunday night. And we were prepared at that point in time to go to eleven o'clock start time, but when that trenchill rain came, we realized there's no way we'd make it by eleven even.
Speaker 1: That is Speedway President Doug Bulls and Jeff Matthews, the owner here of Speedway City Garage, and that's a location the NASCAR Haller Parade. Doug, this is the first time I've ever seen one. Why it's entail. I've never been here before.
Speaker 5: Saw the trucks that bring all the cars in. We call them transporters in IndyCar. They call them hallers in NASCAR. So all the transporters will be lined up here. It's a really cool event because so many people come to this with kids, and it's a really cool opportunity for kids to get right up next close to those trucks. The truck drivers oftentimes are handing out hero cars. It just is a fun way to celebrate the fact that the Brickyards just around the corner. This Haller Parade idea is started here in Indianapolis. There's a couple other communities that do it now, but this is as much a tradition as kissing the Bricks. Thirtieth anniversary of that this year at the Brickyard, it's the Haller Parade that comes right here on Main Street and then everybody all these businesses on Main Street, so we're in one of the great ones here on the North End. But walking up and down Main Street there's tons of shops, tons of places to eat. It's really a cool evening of just seeing the haulers and getting a chance to check out the vibrancy of Main Street.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite NASCAR driver? Oh? Who? Your favorite driver is coming out tomorrow night? Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I mean yeah, So Connor would be my favorite Yune car driver. Followed behind if it wasn't family related. Followed behind by Will Power because Will it's just crazy.
Speaker 1: Sure, he's crazy, all right.
Speaker 5: So I'm a Chase Briscoe fan, a Christopher Bell fan, and a Kyle Larson fan. Those would be my two.
Speaker 1: So here's what's funny about Chase Briscoe around here, and he's kind enough to come on the show often, and he's from Mitchell, Indiana, down where I'm from. It does not seem like that he gets the love nor the notoriety that certainly Jeff Gordon got from the time that he spent over in Hendris County or Tony Stewart from being from here as well. How do you get I mean, is it all up to winning and results or what is it with Chase Because it seems like if you're really going on a raise somebody around here that would be the dude because he is from Laurent Rule, Lawrence County, for sure.
Speaker 5: I think Jeff came to NASCAR exactly the right time. You had the older guard beginning to slow down. You had this young, good looking kid from Indiana slash California, and he instantly became successful. Yeah, and so Chase has not been as successful as Jeff, as He's obviously won some races. He's really competitive and and he's a great guy. And I hope to the extent he continues to win races that that people get on board, especially Hoosiers, get on board with Chase. He's a great guy. He and Connor get along really well. It's pretty fun when you see some of these indy car drivers who actually have good relationship with NASCAR drivers. In fact, I think Connor spent some time Bend and Chase's ear about driving trucks even.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. I just I just think that he is as talented, and I just kind of wonder why, you know, from locally speaking, he doesn't get as much known to.
Speaker 5: Run the other thing too. I think I think you think about the pop larity of NASCAR when it came here in nineteen ninety four, was such a big deal. That was a part of the platform. Was maybe a little bit bitter.
Speaker 1: And Jeff was a phenomenon.
Speaker 5: It was definitely Wow. Yeah, he's actually he's actually over at the museum right now, is it really, Yeah, he's because we've got in the museum, we've got a Jeff Gordon exhibit, so he's over there officially doing the ribbon cutting.
Speaker 1: So I had my kids with me, and they were much younger once upon a time, and you put me up in the pagoda, and I'm in the bathroom and I hear my daughter, who was I think around eight at the time, Lenny talking to somebody. I go, who in the world is she talking to? And I walk out of the bathroom and it's Jeff Gordon. I don't know if she knows anything of what you're talking about right here. But it was a thank you very much, Terre Hote. It was a really cool moment right there. And see, those are moments that you will remember forever around here, because that's what can happen when you run into.
Speaker 5: Guys like you know. I remember when I first started working the speedway. One of the one of the things I think was a challenge for us was I was told, hey, Ja, he doesn't like NASCAR because none of the NASCAR guys that go on the show. And that was one of the things I do get pissy about that, and that was one of the things I was like, well, we got to fix that. And that's the beauty like a Chase Briscoe and you got people that because there are still drivers who.
Speaker 1: Are Logano comes on and he's awesome too, So you've.
Speaker 5: Got you do have a handful of guys that are like, I don't want to call radio, and they don't understand how big your reach is and how important because you're and you're talking to sports fans exactly right, You're talking to their their core demo. And so when you have guys that understand it, like a Chase and and and Joey's really good about that too. You know, even Michael McDowell coming in last week and trying to help out those Those are the guys that are the good guys that understand how important it is to talk to the fans.
Speaker 1: Mike Chapel of CBS four and Fucked at the Nines on the Dymore Automnive group, Paula, Hello, Mike, how are you? Mike? I wanted to ask because you kind of chimed in on the whole Caitlin Clark thing last night. Here's what I say. It can be okay if you feel that that's that's what you are. In this case, you are you're compelled to be a competitor and you get teed up. But honestly, when you've already done that and you're you're sitting on six and now seven in a thirty point blowout, as the team leader, the most important piece of that team, you're going to let that thing go. Yeah, and I.
Speaker 4: Understand, And the defense is going to be, well, she's such a competitor and she doesn't have an off switch. Well, you also have to understand the moment. And now maybe there's a couple of games. I don't know what the rules are. Once you have eight, you're suspended one game, okay, you come back, and then you get another one that you get like a couple more before you're suspended again.
Speaker 1: I don't how that work. You go, you go to eight, you're suspended, and then two more. Every two after that you get suspended again.
Speaker 4: But you know, at one point then I guess what you do? You look at the schedule. If there's two easy games, easier games, you get teed up in one to get thrown out, and then you know you don't play the nice game if you play two crappy teams. But what what she's done with her fiery way she approaches the game is she's put herself one one, one reaction away from a suspension, and your best player can't should not put herself in that situation. It was unnecessary, and I understand the fire that burns in her. And somebody mentioned where that was such a soft peck. Maybe, But but you've got to understand also that these rests don't know what the hell they're doing. They're not out there, they're just out there guessing. So don't put yourself, don't don't put that your availability in someone else's hands. Walk away, and and I don't know, the word that comes to mind is unnecessary because she's put herself with the accumulation in a spot where maybe there's something that's really valid. Somebody's really pushed her to the edge, and you respond, Well, then the legitimate one gets you a suspicion when maybe there were a couple and there have been a couple that were that were iffies, but that doesn't matter. They're on there, so that's the only thing. And when they I tell you, when they play like they did last night, I realized Connecticut's not very good. But when you get three players that can routinely drop seventy points as these three players can do, you can do great things that they still can't play defense they either can or won't or whatever. You know what they remind me of You remember Loyola, Meloch Marrymount. Yeah, they were That's what they remind me of. They want to get the game set up. They didn't care if they gave a easy basket is in a gate. They let them get going hot and heavy the other way. But but no, one hundred and twenty three points and the third with the fourth quarter for mainly your backup, so they could have scored if they had a mind too, they could have scored one hundred and thirty and not bad at I.
Speaker 1: Hey, Mike, I say this. Don't get triggered by a scrub. Yeah, all right, she got triggered by a scrub for one point a tony point blowout. Don't get triggered and compromise your participation in the future by a scrub. That's it, because maybe.
Speaker 4: That's what happens when it matters and they send a the eighth player on the roster out the rough her up, and you know, she throws an elbow or whatever I mean Clark in response, and then she suspended it, and then it matters, and may maybe they're probably good enough to handle a one game suspension with the way they're playing and their record, but it's just unnecessary.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: I don't anticipate her changing. It's kind of like with Andrew Luck with it the way he played. He always told us he would try to change how he played, and and he didn't a lot because that's who that's what made him who he is. But at the same time, what is it the best ability, the availability and and if you if you can't play, you can't help. Although, yeah, my chapel of just behave behaviorself, but just just watch your reactions.
Speaker 1: My chapel of CBS four and Fox with you down with us. So next week Coats camp officially gets started. What are the some of the dialogue expectations when the players come in, you guys converse with them, What are some of the expectations from Daniel Jones to John Fan Taylor, to Leatu Latu, the Mooney Ward to the Forrest Buckner. Give me some of the expectations, Mike.
Speaker 4: Oh, they're going to talk to defensively, this I think this is a chance to be a really good top ten defense that I think they can be if the Forrest Buckner can give them some meaningful playing time. And we don't know Daniel Jones. See, I don't know who we get on Southy when they report we won't get Jones, I don't think. But no, they're gonna be optimistic again if this team can stay healthy, which I already already saw that Carolina lost a top tier linebacker with a knee injury or lower leg injury or whatever. But I think they're gonna be optimistic.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 4: Defensively, you've got five new starters. Offensively, you know with the Tyler Warrens, and it's a good offense with Tyler Warren and Pierce and downs internally Jonathan Taylor. But the quarterback has to be healthy and stay healthy, so it'll be upfeat. It always is a beat. Sometimes you're thinking, yeah, these guys they're talking big and they'll be you know, four and twelve back in the sixteen game season. But I think there's rent for this team to be up theat But it just it just depends on four or five issues, and some of them is an injury. But again, until you start playing, you're not gonna know. I'm more interested next Tuesday when Chris Ballard talks with us. He always does that free camp and he'll he'll give us some insight I think on who's aware, who's going to do what, whether a buckler is going to be on puff or calix.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 4: See the last time we saw I like, here's he wasn't practicing because of the ankle. Well that's been a month, five weeks, so he very well could have been. I'm sure by now he's running around now, whether it's full go I don't know, but you know, one of the big questions is when he'll be ready to really cut loosing camp. And that's kind of important because if you're paid him big money and if you got rid of Michael Pittman and you don't really have approven number three receiver.
Speaker 1: To Mike Chapel of CBS four or Fox with It, don he might be. That's why I let you go here. We're kind of short on time. I want to ask you this. I brought this up yesterday. Situationally speaking, is there a scenario that you looked at if the Colts lived down again to expectations at twenty twenty six to where they have an organizational change but the head coach remains the same. How much of a possibility is that?
Speaker 4: In my mind? Not likely because then again you're and again, I think Shane is one of the top offensive coordinators offensive minds in the league now, whether he's made enough growth as a head coach. No, I think if Carly decides to make a change, it's everything, and then which only a handful of players will be off limits. As far as you know. I guess core players, I guess for the younger players are draft picks. Now if it doesn't go well, barring injuries, really you know, complicate things. I just think she blows it up and starts over.
Speaker 1: I would agree with you on that they're just ways. For example, if they don't live up through expectations as a team and the offense looks good in the process, I kind of wonder if situations are rethought.
Speaker 4: Yeah, trutally, but again, then you're telling you're telling your new general manager. You know, here's your team, and by the way, here's your head coach, and here's your quarterback. It makes a lot of sense to not have let the general manager make this team in his own image would be difficult from the start.
Speaker 1: Right, And my chapel of CBS four Fox with the nine Tuesday will be out in front of all of it with the players and Chris Boward and everybody for the final time that Grant Park in Westfield before it moves over to West fifty six. And we'll see what happens after that. Yeah, it's gonna be interesting, Mike, it it really is. It's funny. I mentioned this at the outset of the show. I thought even more so last year there most of the Colts fans out there are gonna say, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it, and it's going to have to be the entirety of the season, not just half of it.
Speaker 4: And you can't blame him. It's it's been five years enough to play off, so you know at the proven League and no one gives you much when you go eight to nine or nine and eight or whatever, and they don't want to excuse the just win, baby.
Speaker 1: Mike, I appreciate you. Man. Next week we'll do it for real while they're in training camp, pal thank you instead of bees, and we can just talk about real so I know, real things and no BS. That'd be weird, although I think most of my shows a lot of BS anyway, So yeah, thanks Mike, Mike Chappell and CBS four and Fox with the Nine on the Indy Moore Auto Modifa Group hotline